Speaker 1: Oh, the voices of reason, a voice in the dark, heard.
Speaker 2: Daily exactly the things that need to be said.
Speaker 3: Fifty five KRC the Talk Station.
Speaker 1: It's eight oh six here at fifty five kr C the Talk Station. Very happy Monday to you. Always money Monday with Brian James, all the financials uh, Brian James during the program every Monday to talk markets and talk volatility and talk about four oh one k is. Welcome back, Brian James. It's always a pleasure to having you on the program. His microphones off, see if yes it is there? Yes it was off. There you go.
Speaker 3: I sure, yeah, and I was.
Speaker 4: I was ready to roll, all ready to get our Monday kicked off and I'm talking to myself. Apologies for us some technical inaptitude here. Yes, another Monday, another discussion of volatility and craziness and audio problems.
Speaker 1: Coming off a week of vacation, I feel as though I'm not firing on all cylinders. I like vacation. It's like you need a vacation at your vacation, so you know. Anyway, struggling to scoch myself this morning, but Mike's are on. It's time to talk money matters. Let's talk about stock market volatility. I no market genius, am I, Brian. That's why I have someone managing my you know, my certified financial planner managing my affairs. I don't want to have to pay attention to it, but I have some general understandings and things like that. But I get the impression that the volatility in the market, and it has been kind of up and down with all these talks about tariffs. I just I just get the impression no one really knows what they're gonna do these tariffs and how we're gonna be dealing with it, or what is going to emerge as a consequence of them. Will they stay around? Will Donald Trump pull the plug on them? Is he going to negotiate better deals with different countries? Is China going to hold out? I mean, it's just seems to me a whole lot of question mark swirling around it, and that uncertainty of its in and of itself brings around volatility. I suppose, doesn't it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does.
Speaker 4: And I'm looking at what happened last week. My first comment was going to be it was relatively quiet week, but then I realized, no, it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Hasn't been quiet week.
Speaker 4: All year long, it's been nothing but chaos because we're simply finding our way. You know, a quiet week simply means the market bounced up and down violently, but then kind of ended where it started, so there was no you know, kind of week over week impacts. But yeah, we have reached the stage. We know we're in chaos right now. We know there's a there's change coming, and we're we're under We're under a lot of it right now.
Speaker 3: The market absolutely hates that.
Speaker 4: It's not that, you know, we're gonna go over the cliff and hit the bottom and it's going to be the end and we're all gonna, you know, live in caves and buy ammunition and grow corn for the rest of our lives. It's that's not that's not where we are. But the market is behaving the way it is because it simply can't see. We're flailing around in the fog. The market absolutely hates when it can't predict what's coming. So therefore, what the market always wants to know. You know, there are a number of earnings reports, for example, coming this week from big companies like Verizon, AT and T, P and G and some of the big names we are going to be listening. What we're gonna focus on this week is what are those companies saying in terms of visibility. Doesn't really matter what they did in the last quarter. We't care about that anymore. That's that's that's over and done with. What are they What position are they going to take over the next several months with regards to tariffs? So, for example, if Procter and Gamble manufacture stuff overseas and wants to move it from country to country, what's the tariff going to be on the day that that package of stuff arrives in whatever country it's it's destined for. And we don't know that right now because that literally changes that you as you just said, that changes almost day to day anymore. The market absolutely hates that because it cannot calculate what a successful transaction should result in terms of profit. Therefore, we have these violence wings back and forth for this wort.
Speaker 1: The planning is, I mean, the markets, if there's if you can count on something happening, even if like taxes are going to increase, you know it's going to happen, it's gonna be x. They can factor that in and deal with it because there's some certainty into what's coming in the future. It may not be as good. Financial projections may not be as good, but at least they can have some you know, sound ground upon which to make these predictions and sort of plan their future. And right now we're kind of like a ship without a rudder, it seems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 4: And that is there's so much history between when we can say, okay, we know that P ANDNG, Google, Apple, whatever, sold x number of units, and they normally have this kind of a profit profit margin when they do those kinds of things, So therefore the stocks should move like this and we can kind of anticipate and that's what analysts basically get paid to do. But right now that profit margin is in question because because of all the tariffs and all those kinds of things, what is the dream going to be? And so what we're seeing is it's an interesting divergence. I'm looking at a chart right now just where everything is so prior to this week, even the European, Far East and Asian stocks, you know, which is basically the S and P five hundred of the rest of the world. Last week they were down about three four percent for the year, as we're sitting here right now, Brian Thomas.
Speaker 3: They're up about seven percent for the year.
Speaker 4: Now, compare that with the Nasdaq, which still sits down about sixteen percent, the S and P five hundreds down ten and even the DALLA is down eight percent. So the point of all that is there is volatility, but that also means there's upside to it. The companies that are doing the best are the ones that potentially have an opportunity here. And we've talked about this before, but there are probably some funds, hopefully some funds in your portfolio that you haven't been paying attention to in years. I'm speaking of the international stocks in the emerging markets, which is which are more like the Brazil, India, China, those kinds of things. We haven't talked about those countries in a long long time, but they're all lining up looking at this opportunity, watching the United States choose to fight with its customers, and they're looking for opportunities to create new markets where for those countries there wasn't one before. And so that's why the market is sensing that, hey, these companies that maybe weren't as big as players as they were in the past may now have a great opportunity. That's why they're up seven percent. So if you have a properly diversified portfolio, you really shouldn't be getting killed. If you're down fifteen to twenty percent, then my guess has been you've been chasing technology for the last fifteen years and it's coming around to bite you in the rear end.
Speaker 1: Well, there's I mean, there's opportunity built in a lot of this, and I mean, depending on where you look. If you read the Wall Street Journal, we're all going to die because tariff suck. And that's just the general impression that they have. But there's been a lot of sort of bright spots in this that major companies, multi billion dollar companies are planning on building here and moving production here. Like for example, there's a terrible situation going if you haven't read about it, between China and Taiwan, and it looks like, you know, China's going to invade any moment, at least it's always seen that way for the past couple of years. But all the major ship production is being done in Taiwan. Sounds to me like going to start bringing chip production here to the United States. So ultimately we can benefit by this. It's not going to be immediate. We're gonna have to wait for it because you just don't create a chip factory overnight. But if we ultimately, you know, have some domestics apply for some things that we haven't had for a long time, isn't that ultimately good for us over the long term.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that is the hope. And some of that was rolling forward.
Speaker 4: There are two chip factories southeast of Columbus that are that are under construction. Unfortunately that hit there recently, that hit the news hit not too long ago. That Intel, who was behind that, is coming on some hard times, partially because of the technology that they provide. Uh that another chip company a m D has maybe has some better ideas in that space. And that news hit at an unfortunate time a couple of maybe a year year and a half ago where that started to come to light. And so those two plants are sometimes in question. I cannot imagine they're going to walk away from them in mothballum, but they're not as moving forward with as much gusto as they originally were. But that all came from the original idea. It originally started with national security. We can't keep buying chips from overseas, uh, not knowing exactly what our what our enemies speaking specifically of China are putting into those chips fluids that they have, and if they managed to take over Taiwan, like you were just hinting, well, that's where most of the chips come from anyway, from Taiwan's semiconductor although some of the plants are here in the United States as well. But yes, that is definitely one of the goals. It's not going to happen overnight. And when we've got interest rates bouncing around, inflation and tariffs and all that kind of stuff, companies are going to be hesitant to make such a massive, massive investment to bring one of these huge plants online in the United States. If they were turned the first shovel full of dirt over today, it would probably be three years before they could start producing something with any kind of regularity. So we need some clarity here.
Speaker 1: Well, definitely need some clarity, and it doesn't look like it's going to be coming any times. H We demand instant answers and instant gratification even in the markets, and quite awful, we don't get that. We're going to find out if we should be looking at our four oh one cas Is this a good buying opportunity notwithstandard of volatility? And we'll talk about the FED and which direction the rates are going to go more with Brian James after a quick word here for Affordable Imaging Services, got my CT scan a couple weeks ago. Well that's actually diden more than a couple weeks. But you know, everything went great. The CT scan and Affordable Imaging Services was great. My doctor read it and interpreted it, and while my lift notes did grow a little bit, not so much that I need to get treatment. So overall the results were good. But my point is with Affordable Imaging Services, I paid a mere fraction for that CT scan, which could have set me back five grand. At a hospital you get a CT scan without a contrast for four hundred and fifty bucks at Affordable Imaging Services six hundred with a contrast. Every image at Affordable Imaging Services comes with at board certified radiologists report, which again my doctor had no problem with. Just nice echo cardiogram. Sure, wait around a month maybe more to get in the hospital echo cardiogram department. How about not get you right in and affordable imaging services where without an enhancement, so only going to set you back five hundred dollars eight hundred bucks. With an enhancement. Again, they can act quickly and get you right in CT scans. MRIs alter sounds just save yourself a heapload of money. Exercise your choice when it comes to your medical care, you have it five one three seven, five three eight thousand and five one three seven, five three eight thousand. To learn more about affordable imaging services check them out online Affordable Medimaging dot com.
Speaker 3: Fifty five KRC four.
Speaker 1: Eight nineteen I fifty about KRC DE Talk Station Money Monday with Brian James, Thanks to all with financial loaning them out for a few segments here every Monday and pivoting over. We talked about market volatility. I understand why it's there, but obviously market volatility impacts our four to oh one K. And something I never do is check where my four oh one K is at least you know, with the exception of my twice annual visits with my financial planner. I mean, I lived through the COVID nineteen downturn. I saw at one point how much I lost and lo and behold, if you wait around long enough, it all comes back and then you end up having more, which is exactly what happened with me. So I like to avoid the headache and the heartburn and everything might go along with it, because you know, until you sell, you haven't really made or lost, right Brian, So should we be looking at our four o one k balances?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, hopefully you're looking at it and seeing that it's not as bad as you thought it was going to be. And the reason I say that is because hopefully this isn't the first time you've looked at it.
Speaker 3: So if you're doing things the.
Speaker 4: Right way, and you have looked at what your ultimate goals are and you understand some market history, then hopefully that decision resulted in a diversified portfolio that owns just a little bit of everything. Yeah, every four to oh and k out there has enough where you can build a set it and forget it type of a portfolio and do just what Brian Thomas is doing, which is look at it a couple times a year. It's not money that you're gonna need tomorrow. If that is the case, then you already screwed up before four oh one k is your only source of wealth.
Speaker 3: That's a problem.
Speaker 4: That means you have no cash, you got no oil in the engine, and that kind of thing. This should be the money that's out there for at least five, ten, even fifteen years to help you fight off inflation. And if you look at any chart, any chart of the stock market over the last thirty years, then you will notice it goes one direction. That direction is up. However, we have our little head fakes every now and then. I remember when I first started in this industry was nineteen ninety seven, and the Russian ruble collapsed in ninety eight, and then we had something called long Term Capital's a hedge fund that collapsed. I remember thinking, in my youthful stupidity, oh my gosh, this time it's different. I'm special, I'm scared now, so now this one counts and the end it doesn't matter. It's just a reshuffling of the deck and different leaders will take the move to the forefront. Shortly after that, we had the huge technology boom. All of it became a catalyst. Whenever there's some kind of panic in the market, somebody takes advantage of the opportunity to drive things further. As we hinted out in the earlier segment, right now it appears to be the international stocks are going to take the lead for a while. So far, that's been the case. If you don't own any, it's not helping you, and you will feel targeted by the market.
Speaker 3: Market doesn't care about you.
Speaker 4: It only cares about what it can see forward, and right now that's not very much.
Speaker 3: So make sure that.
Speaker 4: Your portfolio is at least spread out across these different things so that as things have been flow, you'll benefit from it, but you don't take it on the chin if something completely falls apart.
Speaker 1: Well, and there's you know, conservative investing, and then there's you know, riskier investing. You know, obviously with risk you're investing. The idea of getting a bigger return is always there. You know, every time I meet with financial plan, there's always that one fund like twenty five percent return. You're like, damn it, I wish I had put more in there in that one, because look this one over here only got me four percent return. How often should we be adjusting the different funds that we're in or is that something that we shouldn't be doing? Very often? Does depend on where we are in our life close to retirement. What's the story on that?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah, great question.
Speaker 4: So how often if I shouldn't be in there every day goof around with it, well, then should I never look at it?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: The answer the answer to that is I'd say maybe maybe once a year to really get under the hood and make sure that you have what you need. Generally speaking, once properly diverse byed, a four to h one K will usually pretty much stay in balance.
Speaker 3: By the way, four oh one K four oh three B.
Speaker 4: You might have a sep ira whatever, which we're referring to your employer retirement plan that you were probably putting money into every week, every two weeks, every month, or however often you get paid. That inflow, that constant inflow of cash tends to keep it in balance. If you balanced it once, you know, a year ago, and you put a bunch of money in, left it alone, it's probably still reasonably in bounced. I'm not talking about the you know, the dollar amount. The dollar amount could actually be down of course because of where the market is. But I'm talking about the different sizes of the various positions you hold in that retirement plan. That constant inflow from payroll tends to keep the whole thing in balance, because if something's taking a beating, then it meaning it's down more than everything else in the portfolio. Well, you've just bought more shares of it because you have put the same fixed dollar amount in every pay period as you've been doing for years. So that tends to again keep it in bounce. So it shouldn't be too far out of whack now. On the other hand, if you notice that it is way out of balance, I would really be looking under the hood for how did that happen? And it's not so much about what do I have to fix right now. It's more about, Okay, let's the next time we go through a crazy cycle like this, and granted we're in the middle of this one, but the next time it comes around, how should I make some changes now so that I don't hit that roller coaster later. And it's not about never losing. That's one of the guarantees that want to give everybody, you know, as a financial planner with something I guarantee my clients Occasionally, you're gonna lose money.
Speaker 3: We're gonna lose your money. It's the reality of it.
Speaker 4: My job is to help you navigate through that and not avoid it, because there's no such thing. So be prepared for that. Learn your history, and then understand the levers you need to pull inside your flour one k to make sure it doesn't sink your ship.
Speaker 1: All right, well, let's pause. We'll bring Brian James back for one more. We'll talk about FED rates and whether or not this represents a buying opportunity right now. I also want to address the subject matter of you know, having money in bonds was always like the conservative, really safe place to keep your money, not as high an interest return as that in stocks. But you know, I'm wondering where we are relative to the bond market considering the volatility and all the craziness going on in the world. Pause, one more segment with Brian James. It's a twenty five at fifty five krs the talk station. You know, whether they're buying an a home refinanciing your existing Morgin mortgage. You have the best possible person when you're working with Suzette Low's Camp across Country Mortgage. She can and will help you, and she's quick about getting back. You'll give your contact information moment, but personal service. You can't get better service. My daughter experienced this, and I love mentioning that because she was working with a bank and they were slow and they weren't responsive, and I said, here, call this number, and within two days they had financing for their home. And she loved working with Susette. She sais, Oh my god, she was so helpful and so nice. I'm like, exactly right. That's why I'm so pleased to speak with her, and that's why I'm recommending her to you, my daughter, my precious daughter. So I'm recommendator to my daughter. You know, you can safely give sus A Low's Camp a call and they have a special thing, and I really appreciate mentioning this that they've got it. Cross country mortgage Line of Duty death Beneditt but benefit for first responders one time benefit covers your outstanding mortgage balance up to five hundred and twenty five thousand dollars should you follow the line of duty and cause. Suzette can give you all the details on that and every other program that's out there for reverse mortgage options, fixed second mortgage, cash out options, lines of credit, one stop shopping, best customer service in the business, and every state in the Union, plus my friends in Puerto Rico. You can contact her because she's licensed being with Cross Country Mortgage in all those states five one three three one three fifty one seventy six five one three three one three fifty one seventy six. Email or she'll get right back with you any way you get in touch with her. Suzette dot Low's Camp los Ekamp Suzette dot Low's Camp at CCM.
Speaker 3: Dot com fifty five KRC this.
Speaker 1: General one on the time. Got a ready to move out by noon if you got any maybe partly cloudy day to day with a highest seventy three down to forty eight, to night with some clouds. Partly cloudy date tomorrow with the highest seventy one, a few clouds over night down to fifty and seventy eight the high on Wednesday along with partly clotti skies are.
Speaker 3: Now sixty nine.
Speaker 1: Time for traffic.
Speaker 3: From the UCL Traffic Center right. You see health.
Speaker 2: You'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care from better outcomes. Expect more and you see help dot com. Cruz continue to work for the wreck inbound seventy four above Montana tramping slows a bit to get buy. They're on the right southbound seventy five. Frank glides through Lachland northbound seventy five. Much improved out of aero banger into town. Just a couple of extra minutes needed. Chuck Ingram on fifty five care see the talk station.
Speaker 1: It's a thirty fifty five pair CD talk station. Very Happy Monday to you one more with Brian James doing that money Monday thing. In terms of buying opportunity, I would think, you know, if you're investing for the long term, it's always a buying opportunity where the market's up or down as long as you get your money invested. So what's the story now with this volatility? And I guess leading us to a conversation about which direction the Fed is going to go with rate? And then my question about bonds always the safest investment, but is that always going to be the case. We got all these international trade disputes going on in China owns a lot of our debt in the form of bonds, and what if they quit, you know, buying them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there are lots of concerns out there, and we are kind of shuffling the decks in terms of what we what we view as risky versus not. But to address your first question, yeah, I'm not a believer at all, Brian in market timing. And so when we say is this a buying opportunity? Should I put some of my cash to work? My first question to that person is going to be, well, what has your cash been doing? Have you been sitting on a pile of cash waiting for for this?
Speaker 3: You know? If so, then yeah, absolutely put it to work.
Speaker 4: But I'd have told you that in December two before we kind of hit the skits, because again, I don't believe in market timing at all. You can be right nine times in a row and be wrong the tenth time. You go right back to the beginning. So what I will throw out there, Brian, though, is this can be just to kind of think a little differently about this a buying opportunity, yes, but also for some people in the right situation, it could be a conversion opportunity. And what I'm getting at there is if you have a huge pile of money on your pre tax side, your four oh one K, your iras, the traditional side of things that has never been taxed before, but is going to get the daylights kicked out of it by the time you reach age seventy three to seventy five, depending on how old you are now. Then this, while the market is down, can be a great time to go ahead and take some of that cash and pay taxes with it, convert your traditional IRA to ROTH, and from then on, as we recover, from then on, those gains are going to be tax free. You're going to reduce your require minimum distributions, You're going to reduce the tax hit down the road. So on one hand, yeah, when the market's down, is it a buying opportunity. Yeah, that's pretty much always the case, because eventually it turns around goes back up.
Speaker 3: But I think what people need to be.
Speaker 4: Looking at more is not only you know, for buying opportunities, but can I rearrange my tax situation? How what's in this opportunity for me to kind of benefit and again never pay taxes again. There's a lot of moving parts to that, but I think that's something that this generation of retirees ought to start to learn more about.
Speaker 1: Is there any limitation to converting to roth? I mean like financial citations or earnings or anything like that, or is just something that anybody can do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the great thing about it.
Speaker 4: So what we tend to think about raw of iras as being somewhat limited because I can only make so much money to contribute. However, that is not the case when it comes to converting. A conversion is not a contribution. Conversion means I'm taking money that is already inside of an IRA and I'm converting it from the pre tax side to the raw side. There is no income limit. The only thing you got to deal with is what are the taxes that you'll pay. You have to take that conversion amount added to your other sources income.
Speaker 3: You also want to be careful.
Speaker 4: You know, if you're close to Medicare age, then it could factor into driving your Medicare premiums a little higher. But a married couple can get up to two hundred and ten thousand dollars of income before that's an issue. Single person one hundred thousand dollars. But if you've got the ability to do that, it can't even be worth taking that hit. When you look at the fifteen to twenty year impact of a decision, like this.
Speaker 1: All right now, pivoting over before we part company to day Brian James fed interest rates, which were you sensing the direction are going to go? They're going to remains the same, go up, go down. Where are we on that?
Speaker 4: So yeah, as of right now, so fed FET Chair Powell talked last week and said the Federal Reserve is going to stand down in any rate moves for the time being again waiting for greater, greater clarity was the quote that he used. So we've been talking about that all morning. He's got the same problem that we do. We simply can't see that far into the future.
Speaker 1: Well, are there any reports coming out and that might shed some light on which direction they're going to go, because I think a lot of people are looking for a little relief in terms of like home mortgage interest rates.
Speaker 4: Right so that that's where we would want to see it. But unfortunately consumers are still spending. We really haven't, you know, we're still in the same mode that we were before. And so right now the Chair Powell is not seeing a reason to put another cut in place because because of the clarity, he can't see in the future any further than we can. And the idea that I believe underlying all this is his concern that in is going to come back quickly if we drop interest rates because we simply seem to have that that that ability still to run the economy a little faster than it should be whenever there's an opportunity such as lower interest rates, and he does not want inflation to come roaring back.
Speaker 3: Uh. You know, despite what the President says, President doesn't like him a whole lot.
Speaker 4: But it's not going to be very easy for for Trump to do anything directly with Powell. But at this point we're kind of in a holding pattern unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Well, and going back to our initial conversation about tariffs that they may very well have an inflationary impact just in and of themselves, regardless of you know, simple laws of supply and demand. If you're going to tear if something it's going to go up in price, yeah, that that's you know, we're simply layering more cost onto something. And you know we we can't view this. We're going to make these other countries pay these terarffs. Well, that's just not how it works.
Speaker 4: That's like saying, you know, a landlord is or a landlord is simply going to eat the increase in property taxes.
Speaker 3: No they're not.
Speaker 4: They're going to increase the rents on their renters. It all gets passed down to the consumer. That's the difference between a consumer and a produce. Consumer is at the bottom of the pile and has to eat whatever the changes are. Ultimately, now those companies can be hurt one way or another because they, you know, maybe consumers look the other way, look for different opportunities. And that goes back to what we were saying before about international stocks outperforming. There are countries out there who aren't going through this and have the capability to produce some of the goods and services that in the United States are current for United States consumers are currently going to be affected by the tariffs. So those companies have a great opportunity in front of them because they don't have those hurdles.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, Brian James always enjoy our conversations. Very important and interesting information and I think solid advice as always like to point that out. Get yourself a financial planner and take the weight off your own shoulders. Brian James, We'll look forward to next Monday in an audition of money Monday have a great week, my friend. All right, have a good week. We'll talk to you Monday, right eight thirty six, right now, if you have carecy the talk stations stick around. A deep look at China's internal challenges. My next guest, Breitbart's Francis Smart. Tell she's the international editor. She'll be on next. After I mentioned you know, well, real estate agents and the best real estate agents in town. You're not going to find a better team. Peter Shabrie Group of Kelor Williams seven Hills is some of the finest agents around and offering programs that nobody else is offering and the only agents I would ever trust to buy or sell a home guaranteed.
Speaker 3: How about this.
Speaker 1: You sit down with Peter Shubrie, You agree on a price in a timeline with Peter's team at the outset, and if they don't sell your home at that price, and by that time, Peter will buy it if they agreed upon price. So you clear expectations, simple, easy to understand. You know when the end is coming, and you know I'm telling you Peter shab and there group will probably sell your house for a lot more money. Uh, and on a shorter timeline. But at least you know you've got a finite time and an agreed upon price. Peter will buy it if it's not sold by that time. Just one of the many programs that they offer and nobody else is doing. Get in touch with them. It's easy to do. Five one three seven zero eight three thousand. Three seven zero eight three thousand, go directly to the website. Just drop the five one three seven zero eight three thousand dot com.
Speaker 3: This is fifty five KRC, an iHeartRadio station.