Speaker 1: Ickel Institute. A man who's going to confirm. I firmly believe what I just got done, saying Mike Turble, the director and instructor at the Southern Ohio Technical Institute. Welcome to the fifty five Ksey Morning Show. Mike. It's a real pleasure to have you on today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great to be on.
Speaker 1: Well, and I got to tell you, Steve Belzo from the Klema County Veteran Service Commission just walked out of the studio when he found out you were on the program. He immediately began singing your praises. He's the guys, a wonderful guy, a true humanitarian, a true patriot, and he went and gave me a few stories about some things that you had done for his veteran friends, and I just want to salute you for those efforts and just to pass along that Steve thinks the world of you, sir.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great. Steve's a great guy and those things that he mentioned to you, that was my pleasure. I was more than happy to do that for our vets.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I know you do. And that's why I wanted to sing your praises out loud so my listeners knew the kind of quality and character guy you are now pivoting over. Let my listeners know, this is a trade school HVAC and refrigeration, and there are careers out there in these in the trades in HVAC are careers correct.
Speaker 2: There is absolutely as a matter of fact, the numbers on that reflect that we are going through what we call a mass retirement of what we are actually referred to in the industry as the silver tsunami. That's guys that are the baby boomers that we're coming up through these trades HVAC in particular, and they are retiring, okay, at a very high rate right now. So in the next two to five years, we are in need of about over forty thousand new hires to fill these positions over throughout the United States, of course, per year in the next five years the AAC industry particularly, and.
Speaker 1: When you graduate from the Southern Ohio Technical Institute, you are career ready.
Speaker 2: Yes, you are. Yeah. What we do is we have a program, a ten week accelerated course, and basically what we do is we give you the tools as an individual to be rehired or be a new what we call a new hire into the industry, so you are ready to go in and start building your career and actually expanding your education in the HVAC industry when you leave our school.
Speaker 1: Now, how many hours does it take to complete the course?
Speaker 2: The course is a two hundred hour course ten weeks. We have both evening classes and we have morning classes. The morning classes from nine till two and then our evening classes are five till ten. Those are four days a week, Monday through Thursday.
Speaker 1: And what kind of certifications do these students earn when they're when they complete the program.
Speaker 2: The certifications that are earned, we have that what is called a six OHA e PA certification, which is a must certification. You have to have that certification or you cannot work in the HVAC refrigeration industry. That's you get that certification. You also get an OSHA Safety Certification, which is a great hiring enhancement for the employers because you've already had safety training. You also will receive an HVAC Excellence Employment Ready Electrical Certification. You also will receive an HVAC Excellence Air Conditioning certification, and you also will receive an a Too Well Refrigerant certification. What are the new refrigerants that are coming on to the market right now today, and those are the ones that are replacing the ones that we have now to help with the greenhouse effect that these refrigerants are are actually bringing onto the the industry. Okay, so it said a two L certification will beginning, So five certifications wow in total?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well ten weeks and your career ready. I mean, this to me is just absolutely what the world needs. And of course with the demand out there for HVAC folks, you know, this is career. This is career stuff here. I mean the salaries as you have on your website, which I let my listeners know is s O T I dash hvac dot com. You can get all the information about the program. And also I wanted to focus on the Shore grant s h O R Shore Grant. Let my listeners know about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The short grand is a great UH is a great tool financing tool, Okay for these young people that are wanting to get into the industry. And for the vets UH, the Charles Shore Foundation has partnered with our school. And for the veteran I'll go over those first veteran UH. For the veterans, UH, they can come to our school and say, if the veteran has already exhausted his post nine to eleven benefits and maybe went to another school and he's uh went through that four year course or whatever in the business course, and you know he figured out what that really isn't what I wanted to do. But now his benefits have been exhausted. Okay, we come in with the Charles short brand and we will give that veteran a full ride okay to our school. And that full ride will include full tuition. It includes actually a gas stiphen for them to come to and from school, and we also provide tools for them to start into the industry after they after they have graduated.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's great and God bless you and for helping out the American veterans because you know this is the g I Bill cover this as well. Well.
Speaker 2: The GI Bill does cover it. That is, so many veterans go out into the world and when they actually when they come in and they get out of the armed forces, unfortunately, you know, they go into something and they spend their benefits and they do something that they really don't want and by the time they realize that their benefits have been exhausted. Okay, and uh, that's where we step in with the Charles Shore grants and we take care of this. But yes, to answer your question, if you're fresh out of the service, absolutely, your your post nine to eleven benefits will cover the school tuition.
Speaker 1: Perfect fit for military veterans looking for a career path. It sounds like now I'm guessing and you can fill in the blanks for me, Mike, that HVAC companies out there, who I guess are searching for people for these roles, know about the Southern High Technical Institute. Are they knocking on your door asking for graduates?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely, we get tons and tons of phone calls every day. And real quick, I want to kind of step back a little bit too. We also have this program Charles Shore Grant available for high school students. Okay, mister Shore thinks that that is a very important part, Okay, that these high school students need to be aware of that they have options. They don't always have to go to college.
Speaker 1: Amen.
Speaker 2: And so we offer the same benefit. If you are a student in high school and you are ninety days before graduation or ninety days after graduation, you were eligible for this Charles Shore grant.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's fantastic. I know there's some parents out there that'll be steering their kids in the direction of the Southern High Technical Institute because yeah, I mean, you can work your entire life in the HVAC A refrigeration industry. You can put a food on your family's table, a career opportunity, and you don't have to go into debt one hundred plus thousand dollars with a college education, you may come out the other side that did you find out it's worthless?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and not to mention think about this, A lot of these careers are a lot of these educations that's so called educations, okay, and they're great educations in a lot of cases. But guess what, we have the new factor going in AI.
Speaker 1: We don't have to.
Speaker 2: Worry about AI and our industry quite honestly, because you know what, You're always are going to have to be kept warm. You're always going to need your refriger creation for your grocery industry, so on and so forth. So guess what we're not going to be affected by AI, nor is this job. It's just a great, great thing to get into. And I think that and when you mentioned about hiring and companies calling us. They call us every day. We actually have two large job fairs every year which involves about sixteen of the local companies around the Greater Cincinnati area and our school presently are for our graduates. We're at about an eighty five percent job placement. So we not only will educate you, we also it's serious business for us. We want to see you out there and work, and so we are involved from A to Z from the time you go to school till the time you get hired with a company.
Speaker 1: Well, and I'll recommend my listeners check out the website again, it's SOTI Southerhilo Technical Institute sot I dash hvac dot com. You got some really interesting and sort of moving stories about some of the graduates overcoming challenges in life and pursuing this as a career absent or after efforts in other areas. Because you're alluded to veterans sometimes find themselves in a job that they really don't like and this is an option for them. But you've got some really good success stories. They're posted on your website as well.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we do. Yeah, we we have a lot of great stories and a lot of great individuals and a lot of great young people have come through this program. And I'll tell you what it is. The desire of our school to see you succeed. That's what we're here for. We're here to see you get into a career. Okay, not just an education, but a career. It's going to last you for life. And by the way, you know, profit's not a dirty word either. These guys are starting out usually at about forty thousand dollars a year based salary okay while they're training. And guess what within five years, if you really put yourself to it, and you are a season serviceman going to a season service tech position, you're making high five figures and then sometimes you reach six figures.
Speaker 1: Oh my, well, that steals it right there. Mike. Mike riminal director and instructor at Southern Iron Technical Institute. There's a career and a money and opportunity for you in the HVAC in refrigeration field. And you can get that degree again two hundred hours ten weeks go during the day, go after work in the evening. If you can manage to fit that in your schedule, and you're on your way to freedom and a career. Opportunity with people barking down the doors looking to hire you. It's you know what, Mike, I'm so happy I was able to have you on the program to talk about this. You know, just one of the trades demonstrating that there are options for folks out there without a college degree and for those folks who are victims of the four year program finding themselves without employment. You art degree majors out there, get the HVAC field, get in touch with the Southern Technical Institute, and you may even qualify for that Shore grant. Mike, outstanding, man. I appreciate you what you're doing. That great and now real quick here, Yeah, do you have classes starting soon? Is there a rotation on this? How does it work?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? These we go every ten weeks. So our next class, both day and night classes, they start from July are once coming up July fourteenth through September the eighteenth. Then we will also have classes one from August fourth running through October ninth. Those are the next classes that are going to be available.
Speaker 1: Well, and I checked out the pricing. Even if you don't qualify for a shot grant, this is a very affordable program considering the return on investment man. This is amazing. Southern High Technical Institute, Mike, it has been a pleasure having you on the program, and I'll encourage my listeners to get the link on my blog page fifty five KRC dot com or go directly to s O. T I Dash hvac dot com and learn about it for yourself. Might keep up the great work, my friend. It's great.
Speaker 2: It's been a great pleasure being on your show.
Speaker 1: My pleasure. Indeed it's eight nineteen folks, fifty five KRC Detalk station, oh Look. Timing is everything. Zimmer Heating and Air Conditioning. I don't know if they're hiring over at zimber, but I know they do great work. And if you're a superior to customer service and you've got a degree from the Southern Ohio Technical Dude, you may very want to go and check out Zimmer Heating and Cooling. But for those folks out there that had their system, go belly up your HVAC system. You can get a brand new carrier comfort system from Zimmer Heating and Cooling. The experts at Zimmer been making Cincinnati area home safe, efficient and comfortable for about eighty years. Third generation Oh Look three generations at HVAC, folks making a career out of it, and Chris Zimmer's at the helm right now. Get in touch with them while the special's going on again. Fifteen hundred and fifty dollars savings off a new cool carrier comfort system. Chris can be reached at five one three five two one ninety eight ninety three five one three five two one ninety eight ninety three. Online, it's go Zimmer dot com. This is fifty five KRC, an iHeartRadio station.