Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Please have identified the suspect and the murder of CEO of United Healthcare as Luigi Mangoni. Mangioni twenty six years old. Born and raised in Marylyn, ties to San Francisco, last known address in Honolulu. Went to Penn got undergraduate and graduate degrees. We will get into all of the things we know about him. A lot of things we know pretty quickly because of an extensive social media footprint.
Speaker 2: A reminder, if you miss any part of our show, you can always go back and listen on demand. Go to Gary and Shannon anywhere you find your podcast the iHeart app or Apple or wherever, or go to the website. Go to KFIAM six forty dot com slash Garyanshannon and make sure that you not only subscribe. Would you leave a comment, share it with somebody that you care about.
Speaker 1: Would you like your jeopardy question? Sure, you get a choice. You can pick either the Old Testament or the New The D Nature of Things, D nature, the D nature of things, the letter D D and Yeah, parenthesis or hypothesis something in quotes. Yeah, I'm very tired.
Speaker 2: Completely screwed up the Old Testament last week. Let's do d okay.
Speaker 1: The d for two hundred dollars. There are white, beaked and bottle nose types of this creature.
Speaker 2: What are dolphins? What else is going on? Time for what's happening? Did I cheat on that one? What's happening? Water damage? Fire damage? Burglary called public adjuster abner gap eight one eight nine one seven five two five six.
Speaker 1: I am glad you chose the d nature of things instead of the Old test because I can't pronounce the answer of the Old Testament. Spell it no exelma sounds stupid. You're not just us canan canon can can canaan canaan. See now I sound stupid.
Speaker 2: Santa Ana winds are coming. We're seeing red flag warnings and increased fire danger around southern California. The biggest most dangerous time potentially ten o'clock tonight to six o'clock Wednesday. There is a particular concern tonight into tomorrow, but it will continue through Wednesday. The other thing is that we have seen some public safety power shut off threats from I was gonna say, Puget sound energy. I don't think they supply us with much electricity. How about just simply the Department of Water and Power and so cal edus in.
Speaker 1: How many years has it been since you've done news in Seattle? Twenty? Yeah, you know, this happens. This starts happening when you get older.
Speaker 2: You start remembering.
Speaker 1: You remember things, you think the things that happened twenty years ago or now, And yeah, it's a whole thing space time continuum in the mind. Well, we're less than a month till the big five to three I do. A passenger attempted to hijack a domestic Mexican flight yesterday morning and forcibly diverted to the United States. This is according to the airline Volarus. The suspect is only described as a thirty one year old Mexican national named Uhha Mario.
Speaker 2: We've got a Mario and a Luigi in the news. The flight was from an airport in Leone was headed to Tijuana. The crew was able to restrain this guy while a pilot is shooting an alert code landed at the airport in Guadalajara. He was handed over to authorities upon landing and will never be seen again.
Speaker 1: A change dot org petition is calling on more food allergy measures in California. Dominique Brown is an influencer and experienced an allergic reaction to holiday food served at an event in downtown LA.
Speaker 2: They want EpiPens available at all establishments that serve food, restaurants, event venues, things like that. They want a train staff to help them recognize and treat allergic reactions and have real time ingredient transparency, making sure that everybody who would be around food, chef, servers, patrons that you are all you all know what ingredients are in the dish so that you would be able to not eat it. She suffered in a medical emergency at an event hosted by Box Lunch Thursday in LA. They haven't said exactly what it was now.
Speaker 1: I kept looking for that. A registered sex offender has gone to UCLA and done what registered second defenders do. He registered, No, he exposed himself at a cafe.
Speaker 2: He offended sexually. Yes, that's so strange. Boom never would have seen that coming. TikTok has filed an emergency pause of a law that could set to ban the popular social media app next month, as temporary lifting of the measure would give the Supreme Court some time to figure out whether it should review the law. The filing arrives just days after TikTok lost a challenge against the measure in a federal appeals court that we told you about last week. Of course, this would give the Supreme Court time to determine whether it should review this exceptionally important case. That, of course, is the words of TikTok, not the Supreme Court necessarily, but attorneys for the DOJ on Monday urged the federal court to reject TikTok's request for this injunction. So the Dog plans to file a formal motion opposing TikTok's request as soon as Wednesday.
Speaker 1: The Golden Globes are out. We've got a full list of nominations. What are the snubs? Just like saying the word snub.
Speaker 2: Jake Gillenhall got nominated for Presumed Innocent would disagree, Yeah, that was not my not my favorite. I am interested in finding out about the Day of the Jackal with Eddie Redmain. I like that Billy Bob Thornton was was nominated for Landman. But some of these things I didn't the best limited television series Baby Reindeer. You watched it, Yeah, disclaimer, you watched it. Yeah. Monsters the Lyle and Eric Menendez story. Heard great stuff about the penguin.
Speaker 1: Emelia Perez seems to be cleaning up. And I believe that's a show about mafia crime boss who is transgender.
Speaker 2: I saw it?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: What I just said?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: And it was it any good? It was good.
Speaker 3: It wasn't amazing, it was it was.
Speaker 1: It was Okay, do they hit you over the head with the transgender plot line?
Speaker 2: That's really what it's about. Okay.
Speaker 1: See that bothers me when it's when it hits you over that with any part killer quick question.
Speaker 2: It's a musical?
Speaker 1: Yes, oh what it's Debrah. Your pickens are slim over there in the sex show realm. Let me tell you.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, there is something I want to tell you. But I digress. I didn't know that this was a musical. And I started watching this and I said exactly what Gary said.
Speaker 1: I turned to my husband.
Speaker 3: It's a musical. What about Baby Girl with Nicole Kidman?
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: You out? I don't think it's out yet.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure, but I saw a preview of it yesterday.
Speaker 2: I saw about it where she talked about how uncomfortable some of the sex scenes were. Yeah, or I don't know if she was uncomfortable with it.
Speaker 3: But it's a very sexy.
Speaker 1: It's released on Christmas Day. Oh okay, my goodness. Wow, I'm going to watch the trailer in the break. You're gonna like it, Okay, I think, okay, I think.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I didn't get to watch much football yesterday because the Chargers had a night game in Kansas City. I watched a couple of the morning garbage games, but other than that, I missed out on a lot of it because of pre game and being out of the stadium and all that. I saw the Niners.
Speaker 2: Destroy the Bears. Yeah, saw that fun. I saw Cleveland put up a good fight for about a quarter and a half shirt against Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: Sometimes Jamis Winstall looks so good.
Speaker 2: It's how how could it got? I mean, is it just location? He's just in the wrong place, he doesn't have anybody to throw to or whatever. He's ridiculous. Five hundred yards of passing last week and.
Speaker 1: He's got, you know, glimpses of Goloy but one hundred and seventy of those yards were to the other team. You know what a good game yesterday, Bryce Young, your guy, Oh yeah, Panthers almost trapped the Eagles in that game, almost almost. I don't know why I watched that to fruition, knowing full well the Eagles were gonna come out on top. But it was kind of fun to watch that one.
Speaker 2: Well for the same reason. You well, I guess you'd get paid to do the Chargers thing, but you knew what was going to happen.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I fell into the hope trap. I was sitting at that dive bar looking at the hepatitis around me and on the plate in front of me, and I said to DJ, like, I just feel good about the game tomorrow night. Like I just think that the Chiefs are just so underwhelming, and they have been so lucky.
Speaker 2: And by far the worst eleven and now twelve and one team we've ever seen in the history of the game ever.
Speaker 1: And they have struggled on offensive line. At left guard. That was their fourth starting left guard of the season, protecting Patrick mahomes blind side. Problem is that Patrick Mahomes doesn't have a blind side. He was sacked three or four times yesterday. But the thing is is he is just so dangerous on his legs you just decides to turn on. He's an NBA player that just decides to start playing in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: Those are the three or four times that they actually got him, But there were ten tis where it looked like the pocket had completely collapsed around him and he's able to just move just perfectly to get out of the grasp of whatever giant lineman is coming down on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean, part of the problem with the Chargers is that again, and I don't like to make excuses, it's a next man up league. But the injuries. The number one receiver Ladi McConkey was out. He tried to work out in the morning, tried to see if he could go. He could not. Last week was struggling with you know, lateral movements, pivoting, and that's kind of what makes him special in terms of evading defenders and able to pile up the yards after the catch. And so if he can't do that, then he can't be Lad McConkey. So and then Justin loses a tight end and will disley in the last play of the first half.
Speaker 2: The great thing about Laddi mcconkee, he's only fifteen years old, so he's got a huge future ahead. Vy Hawser. Yeah. Back here in La, the Rams surprised the Buffalo Bills forty four to forty two.
Speaker 1: I wasn't completely surprised. We talked about this on Friday. There's a lot of talk about are the to LA teams for real? And they're going to be playing the two best teams in the AFC, and the Rams are a good team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Puka Nakua had an incredible wow, incredible day.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: So tonight is Monday Night Football, Cincinnati Bengals at the Dallas Cowboys. And to try to put a shine on this corny turd, the Simpsons will actually play host to an alternate telecast of tonight's game. They said that this alternate telecast is going to be entirely animated in real time, so it parallels the real life events that you're going to see on the field. It's going to be streaming Disney plus, ESPN plus, et cetera, and it's going to feature all of your Simpsons characters, the Homers and the Barts and the Margins and the Leases and that sort of thing, and they said that they want to obviously shine a spotlight on the Simpsons ridiculously successful hundreds and hundreds of episodes on this scripted animated series. In addition to the animated versions of players in the game, like Joe Burrow, for example, the Fun Day Football Get It branded telecast is going to feature versions of the actual ESPN crew, So Drew Carter has been doing, We'll be doing play by play. Mina Kimes, dan Orlovsky will do their color commentary, and they're going to be using what they say are mixed reality headsets to experience the animated version of it as you watch it at home.
Speaker 1: Did you hear Jim Harbaugh after the game last night in Kansas City? He quoted Sir Andrew Barton. He said, as Sir Andrew Barton said, fight on my men. I am hurt, but I am not slain. I'll lay down and bleed a while that I'll rise and fight again.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: I love that. That's a good random deep cut. Oh yeah, he's full of them. He's full of deep cuts. And I like the ship that sank in nineteen seventy five, killed a bunch of men. He said, I want you to be the storm that sinks the ship and kills all those guys.
Speaker 2: That's nice.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: When he's he's I don't want to say storming. I don't even want to say stalking. When he's walking the sidelines back and forth in the midst of the game or late in the fourth quarter when they're out of timeout so they can't really do anything, and he's just got a little bit of that. We've talked about it before, that little bit of that like displasia. Yeah, he's just you know, it's not entirely comfortable for him to be pacing back and forth, but he's going to do it anyway. Yeah, that's uh.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Great sign.
Speaker 1: I love it. Oh my goodness, what a great police chase we have going on.
Speaker 2: Here, Shannon kf I am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is one of the great vehicles I've seen elude police. This is an East LA Southgate area and I'm going to hand it off to you to man explain this vehicle to me.
Speaker 2: It's clearly a.
Speaker 1: Utility vehicle, electrical type of.
Speaker 2: No, it looks like it's a big tank on it. But I can't figure out why some.
Speaker 1: Sort of water inside. It's got flashing orange lights. It is a cumbersome vehicle. Yeah, you're not going to get up to high speeds with this bad boy. It looks like, well, there's a bed. It's like a truck cab, like a flatbed truck. But there's a big tank. Looks like a few couple hundred gallons.
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 1: Now, somebody jacked this vehicle. That's what they say. It's a carjacking suspect, to which I asked the question, if you're going to jack a car, don't you want one that can fly? This thing is is only going to get you up where it's just fifty miles an hour.
Speaker 2: If even that, and clearly not having an easy time controlling this thing. It looks like it's East Gage Avenue. It looks like a Southgate East LA area.
Speaker 1: Maybe like a loose automatic stick engine situation on that thing. There's no night where you're kind of slipping in out of gears.
Speaker 2: Oh well, and it's I don't know if it's hard to control, but they're weaving a lot for a truck that size to be moving back.
Speaker 1: And that's why I'm wondering if they I want to drive the vehicle again.
Speaker 2: It looks like it's some sort of a utility truck. We don't know what municipality it belongs to, but there's something written on the door, and then a big tank, maybe a one hundred and fifty two hundred gallon tank in the back of.
Speaker 1: How are you going to look?
Speaker 2: There's two, three, three cars.
Speaker 1: It made it really hard to handle this thing. It is not corner like, it's on rails.
Speaker 2: I wonder if this is like it's missing because it kind of looks like it it's a tire or something. Yeah, that looks like the right side tires may be down or gone.
Speaker 1: Who are you going to hide from in this thing? It's the most conspicuous vehicle I've ever seen. Now they've got the driver's side door open, orange flashing light on the top of it. Yeah. Back, it's really worst case scenario if you're going to jack something.
Speaker 2: The driver's side door is open. Law enforcement has got a couple of SUVs right behind. It looks like those are sheriff's deputies that are behind. And again the door popped open on the driver's side, but didn't see any other movement. They're not trying to get out or anything. It doesn't look like.
Speaker 1: Guys, if you're gonna jack a car and lead police on a chase, you got to pick like a white Honda something like that, something with a little gear, a little get up and go, but something that also blends in so that they can lose you and the sea of other white Hondas on like the one oh five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, white silver, silver, silver, maybe a mid size suv.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, that's what you got to do.
Speaker 2: But we've seen those where we lose I mean, we're watching the whole thing and we lose track of.
Speaker 1: Right, it's a shell game at that point. They all look alike, yeh, which one has the baseball underneath it? Which one has the baseball underneath it?
Speaker 2: Oh, we'll keep an eye on this again. It looks like they've stopped there e sixty fourth Street and Hooper Avenue. They're in the Southgate area. Several law enforcement vehicles behind it now as they're trying to get this person to surrenders. Nobody out in front of them, which is good. But it's a residential area, so keep an eye on that, all right. So the person of interest we now know has been identified in the killing of un Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson. This guy, Luigi Mangeoni, twenty six year old guy, very strong eyebrows, hew strong everything, healthy young man, healthy young man.
Speaker 1: We know he was a high school valedictorian from a Maryland prep school outrageous tuition, earned undergraduate and graduate degrees in computer science from Pennsylvani from University of Pennsylvania. He learned to code in high school. Help start a club at Penn for people interested in gaming game design. That's according to a campus publication called Penn Today written up in twenty eighteen. His post suggests that he belonged to the fraternity by Kappa PSI. He took part at a twenty nineteen program at Stanford. He's got photos with friends and family in Hawaii, San Diego, Puerto Rico, New Jersey Shore as well, and it looks like he's related to a Maryland state senator, Nino Mangeone, a big, big Gangioni family there in Maryland, a lot of people in nice positions.
Speaker 2: What we know about what caused detectives to pick him up in the first place is obviously the pictures have been floating around. NYPD has blanketed news casts with these pictures and images of their suspect, and apparently somebody at a McDonald's restaurant in Altoona, Pennsylvania saw who they believed was this guy. When the detectives got there, they found he had a weapon on him that the NYPD said they believe was three D printed. They also said that they found a mask that could match what it is that he's seen wearing in some of these shots, and they said they found a handwritten manifesto that appeared to list a bunch of grievances with the healthcare industry, including taking enormous profits a shady motives. At this point, the NYP he says this is the only guy. This is the only suspect that they have, and that they don't believe that he had acted with anybody with the help of anybody else.
Speaker 1: It's wild that he wanted to study according to his high school valedictorian speech and other posts that he wanted to study AI seem to be highly critical of smartphones, AI all those things, and it appears that some of the major heat that United Healthcare has gotten in recent years has been this CEO's adoption of AI to deny claims this way, you don't have humans going through and seeing what's wrong with you and going after your claims. You can have the computer do it, which makes it even more impersonal, as you can imagine the argument rights itself. I have no idea if they're connected. It's just an odd coincidence.
Speaker 2: If not, well, the dichotomy of him being a tech whiz. That's why he's been described right studying computer or science, but only to a certain point because he has reposted or liked comments by Ted Kazinski, this super anti establishment, anti high tech professor who obviously was the unabomber before he was caught in nineteen ninety six. But Kazinsky wrote in a quote that was liked by Mangioni at one point, imagine a society that subjects people to conditions that make them terribly unhappy, then gives them the drugs to take away their unhappiness.
Speaker 1: It's yes, So that's the thing. He reposted a bunch of literature from Jonathan Hate and others about the bad things that happen when we are so connected. It could be that he was the poster child for this, growing up coding in high school, learning commuter science, computer science, getting a graduate degree in computer science, learning about what it does to the brain, the psychology of social media and all those things, and became kind of like a warrior against the whole connected movement.
Speaker 2: It's a strange I mean, it's a strange world where you dedicate your life, your college to computer science, but putting a limit on it.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's the thing. I mean, he knew enough to know what these programs and what these companies are doing to us. He retweeted a tweet from Jonathan Height about an essay about two thinkers Chinese and British, whose goal was to help Western capitalism destroy itself and how they see TikTok as a way to do that. Like we've talked about TikTok and China distracting us to the point of being easy to defeat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, just put stupid little screens in front of us and we won't see what's coming. To generalize, right, The Pennsylvania police have said that he is not saying anything. It's not clear if he's making any statements, but they've said that he's not saying much of anything, and the NYPD is sending its own detectives up into that area to help with the investigation this chase that we've been watching down on the Southgate area apparently of some sort of a work truck where a truck that has a big tank on the back of it was carjacked. At one point. They have the guy now out of the vehicle. He's wearing pants but no shirt, and he's wearing work gloves. Oh, he looks pretty hammered too, so that may have been why he was wearing so bad. He could barely stand up and walk backwards. He basically tumbled to the ground. But they do have him in cuffs now, and it was a sewage truck.
Speaker 1: They said, oh, what is the worst thing to jack? That has to be the.
Speaker 2: Worst veil bob. So he's in custody. If we get some more information about this suspect in the Brian Thompson murder, Luigi MANGIONI will bring it to you. Also, you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio Lap