Speaker 1: What are you waiting on in your life? Let me ask you another question. Are you talking to the Holy Spirit while you're waiting or are you just out there waiting? I highly recommend you talk to the Holy Spirit while you're waiting, and he'll help you understand where to go, what to know, what to say, how long to wait. You know, if you had been invited to go to a brand new city. Let's say you won some game show and you go to some exotic city somewhere that you've never been to. You've pretty much got four options on how you're going to know what that city is. You could just walk around with no direction, no input, and you say, let's just walk around and see what the city is all about. And if you just get off the bus or get off the plane and you walk around that city, you'll see some interesting things, but you're going to miss most of the city because you don't know really what's there. And if you just walk around and kind of, you know, drift through the city, you don't get the best of what it's all about. Now, your second option is to get a map, and you can get a map of Paris, or a map of London, or a map of Tokyo, and you open it up, and now you got a little bit more direction, and you can use that map to walk around. Now that'll let's go there, let's go see that. And that's actually better than just drifting through the city. But it's not the best You could then number three, get a guidebook. And then a guidebook it tells you, here's the cool stuff to see in the city, here's the best places to eat, here's the attractions you don't want to miss, here's the stuff that's most fun, here's the stuff that's most fulfilling.
Speaker 2: Here's where you.
Speaker 1: Get the best bargains. And having a guidebook now really opens up the city far better than a map, far better than just walking around. But the best of all is to hire a personal guide, somebody who's been there or lived there all their lives. They know all the best spots. They know how to avoid the tourist traps. They know how to get to the real Paris, the real London, the real Tokyo. They know how to point out stuff that nobody else knows about. They'll often know the history, they'll know the background, they know the full experience. They know the best place to take the picture. Having a personal guide is the best of all. Last year Can I went and rented a car to simply drive around Ireland. Now we could have just done that on our own, but at one point we got a guide to help us see some stuff that we would have missed, and we saw all kinds of really cool things, learned all kinds of really cool insights, and had a lot of fun experiences that we would have totally missed. We would have picked the wrong restaurants, we would have seen the wrong things, we would have missed the stuff that the locals know about that the tourists don't know about, because we simply got advice. We got a personal guide. Now the same is true for your life. You can just drift through life. You can get a map, you can get a guidebook, or you can get a personal guide through your life. And depending on which of those things you choose will determine how effective, how meaningful, how significant, and how fulfilling your life is. You can just drift through life, and most people do. They don't have a map, they don't have a guidebook, and they certainly don't have a guide. I highly recommend you avoid that kind of lifestyle that's just existing and you go through life not knowing what really to see, what really to do, what's important, what's not important. Now, the world will give you plenty of maps. You can go up to Hollywood and you can get a map to the homes of the celebrities and you get you know, go look them up yourself. But God has given us both a guide book that's this the Bible, and He has given us a guide and that guide is called the Holy Spirit. Now, in this series, which we started a week ago, we called it Choosing your Future, and I said we're going to look at five different choices in life. And the first week, if you missed it, you want to go back and hear that message on choosing the right values for your life, because if you don't choose the right values, you got the wrong foundation.
Speaker 2: You're going to waste your life, totally waste your life.
Speaker 1: And the world's value system is the exact opposite of what God says you ought to value in life. And so if you listen to the world, you're going to miss out on what your life is really all about. Choosing the right values. Weekend, I want us to look at choosing the right guide for your life. Now there are plenty of guides out there. You can choose, you know, some talk show host on TV. You can choose some radio commentator, you can choose a friend.
Speaker 2: There are lots of people who will.
Speaker 1: Be glad to guide you through life, not necessarily in the right direction, but there are plenty of guides out there. But God has provided both a guidebook, the Bible, and a personal guide who will help interpret the guidebook, called the Holy Spirit. I don't know if you've ever thought about this, but why did Jesus go back to heaven after he came to Earth? Why didn't he just stay here? Why didn't he just stay on Earth so we would have a physical, visible model, And we go, Oh, that's how God wants us to live. That's the way to handle that kind of situation. That's how to handle that stress. That's just look at Jesus. He's living in Minneapolis right now. Let's go ask him. And why did not Jesus stay on Earth after he rose back from the dead he went back to have it?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Well, he said, it's actually better for me to leave better. How could anything be better than having Jesus guiding us personally through life?
Speaker 2: He said, because when I leave.
Speaker 1: I'm going to send the helper, the helper, the counselor, the advocate the Bible calls the Holy Spirit many things. He said, I'm going to send my spirit back to earth, the Holy Spirit. It's just the spirit of Jesus, the Spirit of God. And he says, this is actually going to be better than me personally being here. How in the world is the Holy Spirit better than Jesus? And how is it going to help you make the right decisions in life? And how's spirit want to be your guide counselor guidance counselor and not just have a guide book, but actually have a personal counselor or a personal helper through life. Why did Jesus go back to heaven because he said, I want to send the Holy Spirit. Now, look at this verse up here on the screen. Jesus said this in John sixteen. He said, it's actually best for you that I go away. In other words, that I go back to heaven, because if I.
Speaker 2: Don't, the Helper won't come to you.
Speaker 1: But if I do, if I go back to Heaven, I go away, he will come because I will send him to you. And when he the Spirit of truth. Now I want you to remember this. The Holy Spirit is called the Spirit of truth. When the Spirit of Truth comes, he will guide you. There's the guidance. He's the guide for your life. He will guide you, he will lead you, he will direct you, he will show you. He will guide you into all truth. I've given you, he says, the truth. But I'm going to give you the guidance counselor who's going to guide you into all truth. He's going to explain this to you, and he will tell you what is yet to come in your life. That is a guide, and he is called the Holy Spirit. How is having the Holy Spirit better than Jesus? Because when Jesus was here, he was limited to one location. When he was physically in a body, he could only be in Jerusalem. He couldn't be in Jerusalem and you know, Hong Kong the same time. He couldn't be in Buenos Aires and Berlin and Manila all at the same time. But now his Holy Spirit can be everywhere. He can be with all of us, and he can help all of us, and he can be in all of us. This is a big deal. This is why Jesus said it's better for me to leave, because I could only be in one place in one time. I'm in the physical body. I'm going to go back to heaven. I'm going to come back in my spirit, and my Spirit is going to be in you. Christ is going to be in you. The Father will be in you, the Holy Spirit will be in you. God is not three gods. He's one God. So if you've got Jesus in your heart, you've got the Holy Spirit in your heart, You've got the Father in your heart.
Speaker 2: God is God.
Speaker 1: He's just one God, but he has three different personages. And so he says, I'm going to come back and I'm going to put my spirit inside you. And that spirit is called the Holy Spirit. By the way, do you know there's me, the Holy Ghost, and the Holy Spirit. I mean some people say holy Ghost, other people say holy It's like two different things. No, it's a mistranslation. In sixteen eleven, the first public English translation was approved. It's called the King James Version of the Bible. It's the oldest of the English translations. And in the King James Version of the Bible, there were two different committees of about fifty people or so each and the word each working on the translation of the Bible into English, and half of the committees used the word spirit and half of the committee the other half used the word ghost because in those days, ghosts didn't mean what it means today spooky. Four hundred years ago, ghosts didn't mean ghost.
Speaker 2: Four hundred years ago, ghosts just meant spirit.
Speaker 1: The word in Greek in the Bible for the Holy Spirit is the word numa p n e u m a numa. It's from what It literally just means air. It means breath. It means spirit. When you have a pneumatic drill, that is a air pump drill. When you have a pneumatic tire, it is an air filled tire. It's not a solid tire. So numa simply means breath, air, spirit. Half the guys and the translation, and that's why when you read the Bible, sometimes in the King James it says holy Ghost and sometimes it says Holy Spirit. And now you know which translation team is translating that particular verse. So there's no like ooh, Casper, the friendly Holy Spirit. Okay, the Holy Spirit is the Holy Spirit. And I highly recommend you stop using the word ghost because ghost means something scary today.
Speaker 2: It's not what it meant four hundred years ago.
Speaker 1: Get it good?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: So the Holy Spirit and Holy ghosts of the same thing. Now, Jesus says this, look on your outline. John chapter fourteen, verse sixteen. Jesus said, the Father will give you another helper. He's talking about the Holy Spirit, who will be with you forever. That helper is the Spirit of Truth. Now the world cannot accept him because it doesn't see him.
Speaker 2: You don't see the Holy Spirit or know him.
Speaker 1: But you talking about the believers, you know him because he lives with you and he will be in you. So he is our helper. He's the Holy Spirit. He is the Spirit of Truth. He will be with us and he will be in us. And this is the guide I highly recommend you choose for your life. You say, okay, great, got it, Rick, got it?
Speaker 2: How do I do this?
Speaker 1: I'm glad you asked, because that's what I want to look at in part two, and that is how does the Holy Spirit want to guide my life?
Speaker 2: I'm going to give you five or six ways.
Speaker 1: What does he actually do and how do I let him guide my life? And what are the benefits of it? Okay, everybody ready for this? All right, let's get started. This is one of the most important things you learn in life is how to be led by the Holy Spirit, because the Bible says in Romans chapter eight, only those who are led by the Holy Spirit are the children of God. Oh so if I'm not led by the Holy Spirit, I'm not in God's family. I'm not a child of God. I'm not going to Heaven. I'm not on the in crowd. The mark that you are a believer, that you're a child of God, you're a daughter of God, your son of God, is that the Holy Spirit guides you.
Speaker 2: And leads you.
Speaker 1: Now, when you first start off in the Christian life, you're not very good at this. You don't really know how to let the Holy Spirit lead you. But you get better at it, and you're going to learn to understand his voice. Just like the person if you're married, you've been married.
Speaker 2: To some time, and they pick up the phone and talk.
Speaker 1: They don't have to say, Hi, this is your wife. You know her voice. You've heard it enough. Hi, this is your husband. You know his voice. When you first start walking to Christ, you don't know the voice of the Holy Spirit. It's hard to go Is this God talking to me or is this just me talking to myself? Did I just you know, eat a bad pizza, or did I just have some idea that came off of some movie I just saw. As you grow in the Lord, you get bet he go, that's God. That's God. Talk to me and he puts these impressions in.
Speaker 2: Your mind and he leads you.
Speaker 1: So let's start off by let me give you five or six ways the Holy Spirit wants to guide you. He wants to be your guide through life. When you understand these, you're going to go, I'm in. I want this. I want the Holy Spirit guide me because everything he's been sent to do is everything you want in your life. Every single thing he says, I'm here to help you. So how does the Holy Spirit help me? And how can he help me on Monday morning? How can he help me on Tuesday night? How can he help me when I'm you know, out playing some sport or in some business deal. Well, let me give you five or six ways. Number One, if I listen to the Holy Spirit, I let him be my guide.
Speaker 2: He will help me. Number one know what I need to know.
Speaker 1: That's the first thing the Holy Spirit is sent to do to help you know what you need to know. There are things you need to know in life that if you don't know, you're going to fail.
Speaker 2: It's essential information.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of stuff you don't need to know in life, and that's all on television. But stuff you do need to know in life. The Holy Spirit will teach you. He will guide you, and he'll help me know what I need to know. That means the truth, the info, the insights, the things that I need. Now here's the cool thing about the Holy Spirit. If you'll learn to let the Holy Spirit lead your life, and I'm going to teach you how to do this on a daily basis. If you'll do this, he not only helps you know what you need to know, he helps you know what you need to know in that moment, the very moment I need it.
Speaker 2: Now we're talking.
Speaker 1: It's not like I'm gonna teach you all this stuff and I hope someday you use it. The Holy Spirit brings to mind in your mind what you need to know when you need to know it, at the very moment you need it. So it's not just what. There's the win and He's going to give it to you the very moment you needed. For instance, have you ever read a Bible verse, maybe at the beginning of day and later that was the exact Bible verse you needed that day. Yeah, well, that was the Holy Spirit. You didn't even know it, but it was the Holy Spirit calling your attention to a certain thing a verse. You didn't even know you needed it, But he said, I know what you're gonna need at ten o'clock. I know what you're gonna need at two pm in the afternoon. And he helps you in advance. He gives you what you need to know when you need to know it. And sometimes he gives you right before it happens, and sometimes it'll give it to you the day before. But he knows already what's going to happen in your life, and so he gives you what you need to know when you need to know it. Sometimes you'll read a book and later on in that week, you just go, that is exactly what I needed. I just read that. I just read it yesterday. That was the Holy Spirit. He was being your guide. Sometimes it's a song and a song comes on the radio and you hear that song, you go, that is exactly the song that I need right now.
Speaker 2: I'm discouraged. I'm frustrated, I'm.
Speaker 1: Mad, I'm angry, I'm sexually frustrated, whatever. And that's exactly what I needed to hear. That was the Holy Spirit. He gives you what you need to know at that moment. Sometimes you read an article and like at a Christian magazine or something, and you know, a few hours or a few days later, you're talking with a friend and you go, you know, I just read an article, and you share with you that was the Holy Spirit. He was giving you what you needed to know when you needed to know it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Sometimes God does this for you for your benefit, but sometimes the Holy Spirit gives you what you need to know.
Speaker 2: For somebody else's benefit. Let me give you an example.
Speaker 1: Tuesday night, I went home and Andy, Andy Lewis Kay's brothers, my brother in law was at our House's at our house for dinner, and we're sitting around talking and all of a sudden, Andy, just out of the blue, brings up the subject of who was the very first Christian rock artist, the very first contemporary Christian artist of the modern era. And his name was Larry Norman. Some of you remember Larry Norman. His first album came out in the nineteen sixties he put out about thirty different albums. His most famous song was called I We'd All Been Ready. There was a song that came out and he was very big in the sixties and the seventies. Larry was the original Christian rocker. There was nobody before him. He broke ground. Nobody had ever heard of Christian contemporary music. Everybody was still singing hymns in those days. There none of the kind of music we use in churches today. Larry took a lot of flak for taking modern contemporary music and putting Christian words to it, and he was really a pioneer in that. And his first three albums that came out in sixty eight, sixty nine, and seventy one were really classic and they were so good. People like Capitol Records, who had the signing for the Beatles, wanted to sign Larry Norman because he was that good. He was respected by secular as well as as Christian and Andy and I just got in. I hadn't talked about Larry Norman in at least thirty five years, okay, I hadn't even thought about the guy. And as we were talking about that, and he goes let's listen to music. And something inside me, holy Spirit said sit down and listen. And I had this little nudge that said just sit down and listen.
Speaker 2: And for the.
Speaker 1: Next couple hours, Andy and I listened to those original two or three albums and just talked about the implications of those songs. I had plenty of other stuff I needed to do, tons of other stuff you need to do. It was enjoyable, but I really needed to be doing something. The next day, I was flying to Nashville to speak to the National Religious Broadcasters, and then I had to come back for Rick Mitchause fly back here for his surgery, and then I had to fly back to North Carolina for Billy Graham's funeral.
Speaker 2: And it was very, very busy week for me.
Speaker 1: God just gave me this little nudge sit down and listen, and we listened and we talked. We listened and we talked about Ran Norman. Hadn't talked about him in thirty five years. The next day I flew to Nashville to the National Religious Broadcasters. I spoke, there was an opening keynote speaker. After I was through, I was pretty tired. I was going to go straight to bed. I was walked out of the big grand ballroom, walked out and a woman came up to me, and she looked like she was in need, And I said, can I help you? And I looked down at her name and saw her name and a caller my name. She said, how do you know my name? I said, well, I just read your name, dag. I'm spooky, it's right there on your name. How do you know my name? She goes, I'm Larry Norman's wife. Now, he died probably a decade ago, and she was in deep need. You think that was an accident the night before. No, God had prepared me to help her, to help her? Why because I listened to the nudges.
Speaker 2: Of the Holy Spirit. Sometimes I don't always seem right.
Speaker 1: Shoot, I got a million things to do, sit down and listen to this music, and I did. Now you call that a coincidence, You have to have a pretty big faith if to believe in the astronomical odds of that happening. Me talking about her husband, me flying to Nashville, me being there, her being out there, her walking up right at the right time, and me saying can I help you. God knew what he's doing. I could give you tens of thousands of examples of that in my life because I listened to the Holy Spirit. I listened to his nudges. And by the way, he doesn't always speak in In fact, he never speaks in these and thous. You know, it's not like thou sit down and listeneth to thy songeth Now, it's more like Rick, sit down and shut up?
Speaker 2: Got it, Lord? Got it?
Speaker 1: Okay? So I could give you thousands of examples of that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The Bible says in John sixteen thirteen, when the spirit of truth comes, that's the only spirit. He will lead you into all truth. He's going to give you the truth you need. And you need the truth because if you build your life on lies, you've got a faulty foundation. It's gonna stumble, it's gonna break, it's gonna fall over, it's going to crack up. Now, when the Holy Spirit tells you what you need to know, when he gives you the truth that you need at that particular moment, there's a word for it. It's called revelation. Revelation is when God tells you something you need to know. This book, of course, the Bible, is God's complete revelation to humankind. But God also reveals things to you. How does he do it? To the Holy Spirit, And He'll give you these little nudges, and he'll give you these little insights, and they'll be thoughts, and you go. I would have never thought of that. It's a revelation. The Bible says in Luke two twenty six about Simon. It had been revealed to Simeon by the Holy Spirit, and Simeon had been told he said, you're not going to die until you see the Messiah. He would have never known that. The Holy Spirit had to tell him that. And God will reveal things to you. It's never going to contradict this book. In fact, if he does condredict the book.
Speaker 2: It's not from God.
Speaker 1: God's word and God's will never contradict each other. So God tells you to do something that's the opposite in his book, you're wrong. That was not the Holy Spirit. That was the evil Spirit giving you that thought. But the first thing the Holy Spirit does is he helps me know what I need to know when I need to know.
Speaker 2: Number two, if I listen to.
Speaker 1: The Holy Spirit, he will help me get to where I need to go. He will help me get where not only know what I need to know, but go where I need to go. He'll help me get where I need to go. There are some places you need to get in life, and there's no way.
Speaker 2: You're going to get there by yourself.
Speaker 1: God has put a dream in your heart, a desire in your heart, a vision in your heart, and you have a dream of where you're going to be someday. There's no way you're going to get there on your own. But if you'll let the Holy Spirit guide you, he will guide you into places that you never ever imagined you'd be. And I could give you a lot of examples of that in my life. He will help me know what I need to know, help me get where I need to go. He's going to open doors of opportunity for you. At Chris at Easter, we're going to start a new series on the doors of destiny, the doors of opportunity in your life.
Speaker 2: Spend some time on that.
Speaker 1: And God says, I've set before you an open door, and it's an open door that nobody can close. And God opens the door for you, nobody can close it. And so what you want to do is let the Holy Spirit guide your career. You want the Holy Spirit guide your relationships. You want to let the Holy Spirit guide who you marry. If you're not letting him guide you and things like that, then you're gonna make a lot of errors. You're gonna let make a lot of mistakes. The Bible tells us in Luke two twenty seven, the Spirit led Simeon, this is the guy we just talked about to go to the temple. And when he got there, you know what, he saw Joseph and marrying the baby Jesus. And Simeon was the man given the highest privilege of dedicating the baby Jesus to God in the Temple of Jerusalem. If Simeon had not been sensitive to the Holy Spirit, he's probably sitting at home in his bark a lounger, you know, doing a crossword puzzle, and all of a sudden he gets an impression and the Holy Spirit says, go to the temple, and so he gets up and go because he knows the voice of God, and he goes to the temple when he gets a lo and behold there's Barry Joseph, the baby Jesus. He gets the privilege of dedicating the baby Christ. He would have missed it and you will miss things in your life if you don't learn how to listen to the Holy Spirit. The Bible is full of examples of the Holy Spirit will do and what I call nudges. Where he nudges you, he puts an idea, go do that. He'll tell you stuff to know, but he'll also tell you where to go if you'll listen to him. In Acts, chapter eight twenty nine, it says, then the Spirit told Philip, go catch a ride with that chariot.
Speaker 2: Now let me tell you the background.
Speaker 1: Philip's walking down a dusty road one day, mind in his own business, singing songs, having fun, walking down a dusty road, and all of a sudden, a guy comes buying a chariot, which means the guy obviously was a man of wealth or power or influence. He's probably an official. He sees this black guy go buy in a chariot. We later find out that he is an Ethiopian leader, major leader in Ethiopia.
Speaker 2: And as that chariot goes by.
Speaker 1: And Philip sees this black guy go buy in a chariot, the Holy Spirit says to him, I don't want you to just know what you need to know. I want you to go where I want you to go. He says, go catch your ride to that chair. Hitchhike, go go catch your ride with that chariot. So he runs up to the chariot and he sees the guy's got a book in his hand, and I said, what you're reading? And then I goes, well, it's the Book of Isaiah, but I don't understand it. Now Philip knows why he's there. Well, I know it. I understand it. And he said, tell me what you're reading. And he's reading the passage in Isaiah about how the Messiah is going to come one day. And Phillips goes, by the way the guys come and he was just crucified, and a few days ago he was resurrected, and he's alive and he's walking around Jerusalem now for forty days and it's a very cool thing. The guy says, tell me more. And God had that Ethiopian reader coming by in a chariot and said, and he gives a nudge to Philip, said go catch a ride with him. He explains to him in Christ. He gets up in the chariot. They keep traveling together. As he's kind of talking with the guy and he says, well, you know, I guess what do.
Speaker 2: I need to do next?
Speaker 1: And Philip goes, you need to be baptized as a symbol that you've you know, you've said I'm all in, I've accepted Christ as my savior. And they're driving along and he sees a creek bed and the Ethiopian leader goes, well, there's some water. What's to keep me from being baptized right now? And Philip goes nothing, So they stopped the chariot. You read the whole story, go down to the creek, Philip baptizes, this guy, gets up, The guy takes off in his direction, heads back home. Philip goes back the other direction. That man took Christianity to Africa, and that's why the oldest Christian churches in.
Speaker 2: Africa are actually in Ethiopia.
Speaker 1: Why is that? How did Christianity expand to Africa? Because somebody listened to a nudge of the Holy Spirit. Somebody said, go catch your ride with that chariot. That was Holy Spirit, and so he did. If I had time, I could give you hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of examples of this happening in the history of this church. At saddleback. We call it catching a wave. Now, surfers know that waves have to be caught. And surfing looks easy, but it's actually pretty hard. Requires balance, but most of all, it requires patience because you get on your board and you paddle out past the waves, and you get out there out the back, and you just stop and you wait for the right wave. And every surfer knows that not every wave is worth surfing. Some of are short waves, some are duds, some of them are incomplete waves, some are broken waves. And so you go out there and you just wait and you wait and you wait until God brings the right wave along, and then you start paddling as fast as you can. Jump your knees jump up and you ride it in. And the whole goal is to ride that wave without losing your balance and then getting off the wave before it wipes out. That's how God wants you to live your life. Now, every surfer knows surfers don't make waves. Only God makes waves. Only God can make a wave. Surfer's job is just to surf the waves of God.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 1: You know what I see? I see so many business guys out there trying to make a wave. I'm trying to make a wave. I'm trying to make a wave so my business will grow. I'm going to try to make a way. You can't make a wave. But I tell you what, if you'll listen to the Holy Spirit and he tells you what wave to catch, God will do more in one year than you can do in ten years on your own in your business. It's whether you're listening to the Holy Spirit or to listen to yourself. Most people are out there trying to make a wave. I want to get married, I want to do you know whatever, and you try, you can't make a wave. Sorry, this growth, the growth was side of that church. Was not my business and it was not the business of anybody else. Is because God is creating a wave and we had enough people in this church. You're smart enough to go that's the way God's going. Let's hop on that one. And we're always looking at where's the next wave, and we catch that. We've caught many many waves over the last four decades. We don't try to create them. Only God creates waves. I'll say it again, get it good, all right twice. Haven't done that in a decade so now. But the point is you got to be listening because he'll show you what you need to know, but it'll also show you where you.
Speaker 2: Need to go.
Speaker 1: By the way, Sometimes you'll find yourself in a situation and somebody asks you a question that you don't know the answer to, and you're going I have the slightest idea what to say right now. Or you're in a conflict, or you're at a graveside, or you're in a situation that's upsetting somebody and you don't know what to say. You know what I'm talking about. Ever been in those situations. I haven't the slightest idea what to say in this situation right I'm on the phone. They just asked how in the world am I supposed to respond. That's when you need the Holy Spirit. Number Three. If I listen to the Holy Spirit, he will help me say the right things. He helps me know what I need to know, He helps me go where I need to go, and he helps me say what I need to say at.
Speaker 2: The right time and in the right way.
Speaker 1: That is extremely important when you're having a conflict with your spouse that you listen to the Holy Spirit, because if you listen to yourself, you're going to say something really dumb and make the problem worse. I am exhibit a of this. I could tell you many, many dumb things I've said in an argument with K. On the other hand, when I listened and I say, Holy Spirit, you need to tell me what to say, I'm the slightest idea, what say what this moment just had, Then God will teach you what you need to say. Mark Chapter twelve, verse thirty six. The Holy Spirit led David to say, Now, not only does he tell you what to know, tell you where to go, but he tells you what to say. If you'll listen, that's what a guy does. And if you'll listen, you'll you'll stop saying so many stupid things if you just listen more to the Holy Spirit, and you won't get yourself in so much trouble. Now, the Holy Spirit has used you many if you're a Christian, he's used you many, many times without you even know it. And he puts an idea in your mind and you say it and it affected somebody in a way, and you didn't even know that they needed to hear that. You were sitting in your small group and you said something offhand, and you don't even honestly don't even remember it. But it was like the light turned on for somebody else in that small group, and it was like God spoke directly to them and shot an arrow at their heart. God used you to say what they needed to hear, and you didn't even know it. You just got an idea, so you said it. You didn't realize it was from the Holy Spirit. How many times have you come to church and then you walked out and you said, Shoot, I felt like Rick was talking directly to me. I was. I was.
Speaker 2: He said, I feel like you're reading my mail.
Speaker 1: I don't need to. I have the Holy Spirit.
Speaker 2: And and I pray every time.
Speaker 1: God. I don't even know what you want me to say, but you put in what I need to say because you know who's going to be there. That's why I'm effective. I'm not brilliant. I just depend on the Holy Spirit. God tell me to say what I need to say and how to say it. Because you know who you're branding. So if you know who you're bringing the church next weekend and you know what you want to say them, it's okay with me. You can just do it through me or Tom or but or anybody else as long as the word gets out. Holy Spirit has used you many times now. Sometimes the Holy Spirit will tell you in advance what you need to say. That's just good preparation. I don't wait till I walk out here on stage and goes, what are we going to talk about this weekend? Anybody read a good novel lately? You know, book review? No, I am all weak praying. I've had four flights this week, and on each of those airline flights, I'm sitting there with my eyes closed in the Lord Holy Spirit, What do you want to say to your people this weekend? And I'm reading scripture and I'm praying, and I'm just letting him tell me. God, you know who's going to be there, So why would you give me something to say that makes no relationship to where they are? He wouldn't. So if he's going to bring you to church this weekend, then he's going to tell me what he wants to say to you, and you can. You don't have to wait till last second. He gives it to you in a dance. You prepare and you prepare for it. But sometimes Holy Spirit just tells you right in the moment.
Speaker 2: And that's a fun thing too.
Speaker 1: You know, I do a lot of interviews, and I was at the Billy Graham funeral. I probably did twenty interviews. Every major network, every major magazine or newspaper, just one right after another. It seemed like every time I turn around, somebody is sticking a microphone in front of me. Well, when you're doing an interview, you don't know what they're going to ask. You don't say, tell me the questions in advance, and I'll tell you if I want to do the interview. And oftentimes they want to trip you up, and they want to, you know, cause you to say something stupid or get involved in some controversy. Stuff like that. And people say, you know, Rick, when I watch you doing interviews, you don't ever seem very nervous.
Speaker 2: I'm not. He said, Well, you don't know the questions. I don't.
Speaker 1: Well, they could try to trip you up. They do, But you're not nervous. No, why because I have an advantage they don't have. I have the Holy Spirit. They don't have the Holy Spirit, but I do. And the whole time they're asking that offensive question, I'm going, Okay, Lord, how are you gonna handle this one? Can't wait to see what you're gonna say, because I'm not saying anything till you give it to me. So this is gonna be fun. And I love just laying it out on the edge. And you put yourself in a corner where you're bound to fail once God bails you out, and they ask some of the most outrageous questions, and you're going, let's see what you have to say about this Lord, And then I wait, and the Holy Spirit will then give you the impression he will not only tell you to know what you need to know and go where you need to go, but.
Speaker 2: Say what you need to say.
Speaker 1: And so you need to do this with your boss, with your neighbor, in a witnessing situation, you don't know what say, just don't panic, throw up an instant prayer and go, Holy Spirit, what do you want to say? Holy Spirit? What do you want to say? Right now? And then just wait. If you'll do this, It's like a muscle. The more you do it, the stronger it gets. The better you understand the Holy Spirit, the quicker you get the answers you'll falter it start. That's okay, I did, but I've been walking with the Lord for over fifty years. I know the voice of God when I'm a doubt when I know the voice of God because I've heard him. He's my best friend. I've walked with him so long, I've spent so many hours alone with him. I know him. And the longer you spend time in this book with God, you know what he's going to say, and he's going to bring it to your mind. Matthew ten Verse nineteen twenty. Do not worry what to say or how to say it. You've got to make a presentation, you've got to go for a job interview, you've got to make a proposal. Do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At the that time, you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. This is why the Holy Spirit is here to know what we need to know, to go where we need to go to say.
Speaker 2: Help us know to what to say what we need to say.
Speaker 1: Number four, If I listen to the Holy Spirit, he will help me. This is a big one. Wait for God's perfect timing. He will help me. Wait for God's perfect timing. Friends, I didn't realize him importance of this in my younger days that I have discovered that timing is everything.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: All over America, the same baseball pitchers throw the exact same sized ball, and they all stand on the same sized mound, regulation mound, and they stand the exact same number feet away from the batter. But the difference between a Hall of Famer and amateur is timing. It's the timing on how they throw that ball. And in knowing the right timing, a sermon can be a success or a dud. A speech can be a successor dud. A project can be a successor dud. It's all about timing. You can do the right thing at the wrong time and it doesn't work. Maybe you've got God gave you an idea to start a new business, and you thought, well, I got the idea, should just start start it. No, there are always three parts to a vision. You need to write this down. It's not no the notes. Write this down. Three parts to a vision. When God gives you a vision for your business, or your marriage or anything else. Number one, First, he tells you what he's going to do. That all a vision always comes in three parts. He tells you what He's going to do Now what happens is once we know what God says, Yeah, I'm going to do this in your life, then we go out. We started as if we can just.
Speaker 2: Do it any way.
Speaker 1: We want to do it any old time, want to No, no, no, we started. We started probably too soon and in the wrong way, and then we fall flat on our face and we come back crying to God and go, God, did I miss you? Did I miss your will? I thought you told me to start this business. I thought you told me to start this career. I thought you told me, And God said, well I did, you just didn't wait for Part two and part three of the vision. Part two is the how and how God does. What he does in your life will usually be the exact opposite of the way you'd like to do it. In fact, you can you normally take the normal way you would do something and do the opposite, and you're probably being God's will by God says, by ways or not your ways. I didn't say do it like I said I was going to bless your business. I didn't say I was going to bless it any way you wanted to do it, You got to wait for the how, and then you got to wait for the third part of the vision, which is the win, and that's the timing, and that's the most important at all. God often will give you a peak to your future. We'll look at this in the Doors series, a peak to your future, and he says, this is where I'm taking it. You're not there yet. I've got to get you ready. I've got to build your spiritual maturity. I've got to get you stronger in the Lord, because the success that I'm going to give you with this.
Speaker 2: You're not ready to handle.
Speaker 1: Timing is everything, and so one of the things Holy Spirit what does is he gives you the right timing. Now, there's no way you can know the right timing for everything, but there is a way for God to know the right timing for everything. And the Bible tells us in Ecclesiastes, there's the right time and the right way to do everything. And so if you're going to wait on God's timing, you know what it means.
Speaker 2: It means this.
Speaker 1: You don't freak out over delays. When you freak out over delay, I had this vision, but it isn't happening as fast as I wanted to happen. It means you're not trusting God's timing. We waited thirteen years to get our first piece of property for the Lake Forest Campus. Thirteen years of delays, and the church kept growing from two people to two hundred, to two thousand, to four thousand, to eight thousand to ten thousand. We were having over ten thousand and at tenance before we got property for the first building. Now we're waiting on property for all of our other campuses, and God will give us the property in due time, in the right way. But we don't get worried about delays because God's timing is perfect. If we had jumped ahead of God's timing, for instance, at the Lake Forest Campus, we would have settled for so much less. When God wanted to give us one hundred and twenty acres, that was way beyond my idea. My big when I started church, my big dream is have fifty acres, which was crazy because no church California had fifty acres. God said, well, a good idea, Rick, but it's just a little small. I'm going to give you one hundred and twenty And if we hadn't waited, we would have missed. If you don't wait, God always gives his best to those who leave the choice to him. That's true in a husband or a wife, in a career, God always gives his best to those who leave the choice to him. God, you, at the right time and the right way, bring the right business, the right job, the right piece of land, the right partner, and on and on and when the Holy Spirit is guiding you. This doesn't delays, don't bother you. You just wait confidently you're not discouraged. Galatians five to five. We are led by the Spirit to wait. Sometimes the spirit says go, but sometimes spirit says wait. We're led by the spirit to wait. How in the confident hope of righteousness through faith? Let me ask you, what are you waiting on? What are you waiting on in your life? Let me ask you another question. Are you talking to the Holy Spirit while you're waiting? Why are you just out there waiting? I highly recommend you talk to the Holy Spirit while you're waiting, and he'll help you understand where to go, what to know, what to say, how long to wait? Number five, If I listen to the Holy Spirit. If I listen to Holy Spirit, he will help me. This is a big one. Resist things I can't normally resist. I like this, and if I listen to the Holy Spirit, if I let him be my life guide, he will help me resist things I can't normally res this. So I'm talking about temptations, compulsions, desires, addictions Galatians five, seventeen eighteen. The desires of self indulgence are always in opposition to the spirit. In other words, what I naturally like to do, that's the opposite of what the Holy Spirit wants me to do. And the desires of the Spirit are in opposition to your self indulgence, which keep prevented, keep you prevented from doing the things you want to do. But when you are led by the Spirit, you are not in bondage to the law. Once you say in here, the Holy Spirit's power is stronger than will power the stuff that you say. I really wish I didn't say that. I really wish I didn't act that way. Why do I get so insecure? Why do I get so angry? Why do I get so shy? Why do I get so impatient? Why do I get so lustful? Why do I wish I didn't do that? Well, the Holy Spirit's power is stronger than the self indulgent power of your natural self. By the way, this is one advantage that Celebrate Recovery has over every other recovery program. We have the Holy Spirit, and now we have the Holy Spirit's power. It's not just will power that's helping me stay sober or or not a codependent, or all any of the other habits and hurts and hang ups that we deal with. The verse before that, Verse relations five sixteen says it this on screen. If you're guided by the Spirit, you won't fulfill Notice, you won't fulfill the selfish desires of your sinful nature. Now I want to leave that up there for a minute. Notice it does not say if you're guided by the Spirit you won't have selfish desires. You're going to have them. It doesn't say you won't have them. It says you don't fulfill them. This is very important. Whatever your area of weakness is, whether it's sex or anger, or drugs, our money, whatever your downfall is, you're going to struggle it with it the rest of your life. It doesn't say that when you follow the Spirit you no longer have no temptation. No. In fact, the more you grow as a Christian, the more Satan tries to tempt you not less more because he's trying to take you down. Satan hates you. God loves you as a wonderful plan for your life. Satan hates you as a terrible plan for your life. Why does Satan even care about you? He wants to hurt God. And the quickest way to hurt somebody's hurt his children. And so you'll never have an air in your life where you're temptation free. It just says, if you walk in the spirit, if you're guide to be the spirit you don't fulfill, you may still have that natural attraction the rest of your life. But an attraction is not an action. An attraction is not a sin. An action is if you walk in the spirit, you don't fulfill the lust of the flesh. I might have a natural attraction to want to have sex with other women who aren't my wife, but an attraction is not an action, and an action.
Speaker 2: Is the sin. You know, I'm not gonna do that.
Speaker 1: Why Because the Holy Spirit gives me the power to say no. Because there's some other things that are more important to me, far far more important to me. So I'll be able to resist the things I can't normally resist. Let me give you one more. If I listen to the Holy Spirit, he will help me. It's a big one, avoid dangers and mistakes. This is why it's so important to be led by the Holy Spirit. If I listen to the Holy Spirit, he will help me avoid dangers and mistake. Part of the Holy Spirit's job is to protect you, to shield you. The Bible use of the word shield, the word shelter, the word defend, to keep you from disaster, my protector, my rock, my defender. It is the Holy spirit job to protect you from dangers and mistakes. And one of the ways he does this is by warning you and cautioning you. And the Holy Spirit just doesn't whisper sweet, nothing's in your You're good, You're great, You're fantastic. You know, I believe in you. Yes, the Holy Spirit encourages you, But sometimes don't you dare do that. Sometimes he warns you, sometimes he corrects you. Sometimes he speaks in your mind a word of protection, saying if you go down that road, it is disaster, buddy. You're headed into a dead end real quick. So if you want to avoid mistakes and dangers in life, you just have to listen to the Holy Spirit. The less I listen to him, the more mistakes I'm going to make. The less I listen to him, the more problems I'm going to have, the more dead ends I'm going to face. Now, I want you to write this down on your outline. I am most likely to hear the Holy Spirit when I'm relaxed. Write this down. I am most likely to hear the Holy Spirit when I'm relaxed. It's almost impossible to hear the Holy Spirit when you're tense, when you are nervous, when you are upset, when you're angry, and especially when you're fearful. He said, how do I know if what I'm hearing right now is my fear or God's spirit?
Speaker 2: Okay, read my lips on this, and.
Speaker 1: If there's an element and fear in it, it is not from the Holy Spirit. The Bible says God has not given us a spirit of fear, but power and love and a sound mind. Anytime you feel fear, that's not God talking. The Holy Spirit can warn you about something, don't do that, but it's not going to be a fear based thing. Fear based is never of the Holy Spirit, never of the Holy Spirit. So he will warn you and letting the Holy Spirit lead, you'll spare you from a lot of unnecessary pain.
Speaker 2: Acts twenty one to four.
Speaker 1: The Holy Spirit warned Paul not to go to Jerusalem. Why because there was a conspiracy there to murder him. He didn't know about it, and Holy Spirit and told him and said don't go there. And he said, okay, I don't have to know why, but I'm not going to go, And so he didn't. All right, quickly, how does the Holy Spirit guide? And then I'm going to give you just quick.
Speaker 2: Steps and this is fast.
Speaker 1: How does the Holy Spirit guide? Oh?
Speaker 2: Ye have little faith? Forget it. I'm going home.
Speaker 1: Figure it out yourself, all right? All right, you wimpy, wimpy wimpy pee Paul. Have I told you lately that I love you? Do I preach to you long? Yes? Do you still come? Yes?
Speaker 2: It's the whole counsel of God.
Speaker 1: Now, it's like the farmer said to other farmer, buddy, it's good to feed your flock, but you don't have to give them the whole bail. Hey, yes I do.
Speaker 2: How does the Holy Spirit guide?
Speaker 1: Well, I could give you a big long list of ten ways, but because you're so weak, I'm going.
Speaker 2: To give you just three.
Speaker 1: All right, write these down. Don't write the ones I'm mentioning right now, look up here. God can lead you through wise counsel. He can lead you through visions. He can lead you through dreams. He can lead you through circumstances. He can lead you through miracles. We'll go over that some other time, but let me give you the most common ways that the Holy Spirit guides. Ninety nine percent of the time, it's one of these three ways. Number one, by revealing the meaning of what he said. By revealing the meaning of what he said, I'm talking about the Bible. If he's the Spirit of truth, he's certainly going to use the Bible, because the Bible is the truth. So if you want to know God's will, get into God's word. God's will is found in God's word. Stop looking for a vision, start looking for a verse, stop looking for a sign, start looking for a scripture. The Spirit of Truth will lead you in truth, and so he's going to take you to the Word. But here's the problem. Sometimes you get to the Word and it doesn't make sense. Anybody ever had that problem? Or sometimes you read a story, go nice story, What in the world's have to do with me that you ever had that question. Of course you have. Of course that's why you need the Holy Spirit, because we not only have the guide book, we have the author and his personal commentary in our ear. It's the only book that you can read that when you're reading the book, you can go, now, what did you mean when you're saying this, and the author's right there to go, well, here's what I mean. So you get not only the guide book, you get the guide Sometimes.
Speaker 2: We don't understand the verse.
Speaker 1: Look at this first Grindians to eleven fourteen. The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God for their foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them because they are spiritually discerned. First place, if I'm not a believer, if I don't have the Holy Spirit, there's no way I'm going to understand the Bible. I cannot understand the Bible without the Holy Spirit. To understand the truth, I need the Spirit of truth. So God knew this, and he assigns the Holy Spirit to be our interre. And in John fifteen twenty six, the helper will come the Holy Spirit, the spirit who reveals the truth.
Speaker 2: And that's why I said with this.
Speaker 1: Book, you get both the book and live commentary from the author, because the Holy Spirit wrote the Bible. So the first way is I need to know what you want me to do.
Speaker 2: Lord.
Speaker 1: I read the Bible and he reveals to me the meaning of passages. This is what it means in my life right now. That's called an application. This is what it means in my life. I know what happened a long ago. What does this mean to me right now? The Holy Spirit gives you the application. He applies it, He illuminates it, he reveals it, and he applies it to your life. Second way that the Holy Spirit guides first, as I get in the book and he helps me understand it. Number two by reminding me of what he said. He not only reveals what he said, reveals the meaning of what he said in the Bible. He now reminds me of what he said. One of the Holy Spirit's job is to remind you of truth that you've already learned. It is his job to be your mental reminder to bring it to remembrance. John fourteen twenty six. The helper will teach you everything, and notice this circle. It will cause you to remember all that I told you. This helper is the Holy Spirit.
Speaker 2: So what is he saying.
Speaker 1: If I've heard a sermon and I've taken down notes, and I've read a Bible and I've taken down notes, and I've been in a Bible study and I've been in a small group and I've taken down notes, then I've put some stuff in my mind. But I don't remember everything I've read, heard and taught and learned and discussed.
Speaker 2: I don't do that.
Speaker 1: But the Holy Spirit knows what's already been put in my mind, and he can bring it to remembrance when I need it. Isn't there verse in the Bible? It says and he brings that to mind. Now follow me on the logic on that, the more the word you put in your mind, the more he can bring the remembrance.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: Right, So the more Bible I get in my brain, the more he can a bigger library he's got. If I only got a little bit of Bible, he didn't have a whole lot.
Speaker 2: To pull out.
Speaker 1: The Holy Spirit cannot remind you of stuff you've never heard in the first place. This is why you need to read the Bible. Every day. This is why you need to listen to God's word. You need to read God's word every day. You need to fill your mind with God's word. The more you put in your mind, the more He can remind you. But he can't remind you of stuff you haven't ever heard. So you got to get into the word of God. By the way, have you ever thought about this, Since you know, the disciples didn't walk around with binders, they didn't have notepaper, How in the world did they remember all these stories and the example of the stories that Jesus and the things that Jesus said, and they wrote down the sermon on the mount. If I asked you write down last week's sermon, could you remember it? I don't even remember it. Come on, So unless you write notes, you don't remember. How in the world. So how to the world we get the Bible? Well, look up here on the screen. The Bible says this. You need to know two Peter one twenty that nothing in scripture was just thought up by the prophets themselves. It was the Holy Spirit who directed and reminded them of these true words from God. SOA's only spirit who years later, says Peter write this stuff down, and John write this stuff down, and Matthew write this stuff down, and Mark write this stuff down. There was only spirit who brought it to mind. They would have not remembered all this stuff that's in the New Testament. But the Holy Spirit reminds us of what he said. Okay, so he helps us understand what he said. He reminds us what he said, and the number three He guided by giving us nudges and confirmations. Nudges and confirmations. Now these are mental impressions. It's often called an internal witness. The Holy Spirit bears witness with our spirit. It's just a sense that you know internally. Nobody's told you this, but you know that. You know that, you know that, you know that, you know because the Holy Spirit has said this is the truth, and you know it and it's hard to recognize it first. But the longer you walk with God, the better you can hear God's voice if you're in the word Romans eight sixteen, I Love the Message. Paraphrase says, God's Spirit touches our spirit, our spirits, and confirms what we really are. God will often use a nudge to confirm something you know. God will often use an impression to confirm, sometimes to warn, but a lot of time to confirm. Last week, Rick and Laura Machau had not decided on where they were going to have their surgery. They had gone to a hospital. One hospital and the hospital said your surgery. Your cancer is inoperable. It's inoperable. And I said, Rick, you think we're going to give up with that?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: I mean, if you got a million dollar racehorse, you don't take them to the local vet. You go wherever a million dollar racehorses get worked on. And so my wife Kay began to do a lot of research and talk to doctors who were knowledgeable in the area of cancer that Rick Macho had in his brain. They found a hospital that said we not only can, we will do your surgery. Rick had a multiple different ones. He didn't know which one to choose. I mean, I had four or five hospitals to choose from. And early this week he had called and he said, Rick, will you and Ka pray with me and Laura on which one we should take? And I said, well, what have you heard so far? And he said, well, we went to this one and I really really felt good about it. He said, every person I met. I just felt the internal peace about it. Every doctor I talked to, even the check in nurse and he goes. Everybody there just it just felt so right. And I said, Rick, I'll be happy to pray with you, but you don't need my prayer. You already got your answer. The Holy Spirit has given you your answer. You don't need to pray about it. You've already had five or six little nudges, so you don't really And so I said, well, pray it with him. I prayed with him, but you don't really need to pray about it because you've already been nudged six times by the Holy Spirit. And he went there and Wednesday the surgery was successful. Yeah, and they got about ninety plus percent of the tumor and now they're looking at the microscopic parts that they could get by radiation chemo and working on a plan on that. He's working on recovery. He has his arm isn't working real well and his right leg isn't working real well, but they said that could be just temporarily. And the doctor they've seen a lot. The doctor was elated with the surgery, felt it went way beyond and I'm going Okay, thank you God, Thank you for your prayers answered. Thank you for all of that. And so now we just got to pray for full recovery because we could have lost him on the table, and he had been told already it was inoperable, but clearly it wasn't. And so we listened to the promptings of the Holy Spirit. All right, he gives us those nudge. By the way, let me just say this that I know I'm running behind, but act feeling the pressure right now. Here's a really important thing. Every time you get an impression to do good, act on it. Don't go I'll do it later. Why because every time you do it, you strengthen the muscle that here's the Holy Spirit. Every time you go, I got it. How many times if you've been told say something nice to that person, do something for that person, send that note, call that person, offer a meal, give some advice, offer some prayer, all these goods, and you know, I just don't have time right now. When you do, you weaken the muscle that here's the Holy Spirit. Every time you get a nudge to do something, to do good, do it, do it because you're strengthening the muscle that actually makes you tuned, so so the Holy Spirit knows when I tell him do this, they're going to do it. That makes sense, So never delay, never awe. You know, say, if somebody you know, you see somebody over there look like have a hard time, and you feel like I should go out and say can I pray for you?
Speaker 2: Well, then do it.
Speaker 1: Walk out and say can I pray for you? If they say no, fine, but you obeyed the Holy Spirit. And if you obey the Holy Spirit, when you get those nudges, it will get stronger and stronger and stronger in your life and you're better. You can hear his voice when I wish I could go into this. When I hear the Holy Spirit, it's often illumination of scripture. It's often an interpretation of an event. I'll be sitting in a meeting and I'm going, Holy Spirit, what's going on here? And he tells me and I can see what the real issue is. And sometimes it's an impression of.
Speaker 2: People and.
Speaker 1: This is their problem and it just comes supernaturally and it gets better over time. All right, real quick, how do I let the Holy Spirit lead me? And I'll just give you the points. I won't even go into the number one. Here's the steps you need to start doing every day to let the Holy Spirit be your guide. Number one, Pause and be quiet. You can't hear the Holy Spirit very well on the run. Psal I'm thirty seven to seven. Be still and know that I Am God. Sit down and shut up. Okay, pause and be quiet. If you're frustrated and you can't get alone, go into the bathroom. Sit in a stall. It's the only place you can get alone. In your office, be still and be quiet. Psal I'm thirty seven and seven Isaiah thirty, verse fifty in quietness and confidence will be your string. So you got to just pause and be quiet, all right. Number two, Humbly ask the Holy Spirit to guide you. You have not because you ask not. You've got to ask, but you've got to ask with a humble spirit. It's your attitude that the Holy Spirit is looking for Psalm twenty five to nine. God guides the humble in what is right, and he teaches them his way. The more humble you are, the more you're gonna hear the Holy Spirit. God guides the humble, not the proud, not the arrogant, not those who think they've got it all figured out.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 1: God, I'm humbly asking you, Psalm twenty seven, verse eleven. Teach me Lord, what you want me to do. Lead me down the right path. God, I gotta have it.
Speaker 2: I can't do this.
Speaker 1: I've got to know what the next step is.
Speaker 2: I can't move.
Speaker 1: Give me a give me a direction. God, I'm humbly asking you. I've paused, I'm quiet. I'm humbly asking you to guide me. Number three, be willing to do what he says before he tells you. Now, if you approach this with God, I'll do what you tell me to do.
Speaker 2: But you got to.
Speaker 1: Tell me first, and then I'll decide whether I want to do it or not. You're gonna hear nothing. You must want to be led. You start with desire, with longing.
Speaker 2: With cravy.
Speaker 1: I've got to have God's guidance.
Speaker 2: It's truth.
Speaker 1: There's many people don't want God to lead them. They want to be their own boss. They say, God, I'm willing to do whatever you say. I'm signing the check. You fill in the amount. I'm saying yes before you even tell me what it is you want me to do. John seven seventeen. Whoever is willing to do what God wants and chooses, it will know what I teach.
Speaker 2: If what I teach couds.
Speaker 1: Knowing comes after the choosing God, I choose to do your will. Now let me know what it is. Number four, Look to God's word. Look to God's word. Your word is a lamp to guide me and a light for my path. We have the guide, but we also have the guide book, and you need both. We have the guide and the guidebook. The Bible says, guide my steps by your words, so I.
Speaker 2: Will not be overcome by evil. Number five.
Speaker 1: Expect his guidance in faith. Expect his guidance in faith. If you're not expecting the Holy Spirit to tell anything, well why should he tell you anything. God works. God does not listen to your complaints. God listens to your faith. God does not listen to your gripes. He listens to your faith James Chapter one. If you want to know what God really wants you to do, ask him and he'll gladly tell you, for He's always ready to give a bountiful supply of wisdom to all who ask him. But but be sure that you really expect him to tell you. If you don't ask in faith. Don't expect the Lord to give you any solid answers. We trust God's guidance because He's never wrong, but you have to believe. And finally, number six, it's important wait for God's response. Don't get in a hurry. Don't get in a hurry, don't get in a rush. God hadn't told me yet, So I'm gonna go ahead and start that business. I'm gonna go ahead and get say yes to that engagement. Wait for God's response. The Bible says God does speak sometimes one way and sometimes another, even though people may not understand it. And if you wait, the waiting will get clear and clearer and clearer.
Speaker 2: Let me pray for you.
Speaker 1: This is the most important thing you can know as a Christian, how to be led by the Holy Spirit. Father. I pray for our flock. I pray for this family of God. I pray for every person at every campus who's going to have to make some difficult decisions this next week. May we never again make a decision on our own, but make it first in consultation with You. You've given us a guidebook. You've given us a guide Holy Spirit. Help us to learn to hear your voice to listen to your nudges. Help us to get into God's word. To fill our minds with your word so we will remember, and then you can cause us to remember what we've stored in our hearts. Lord, For everybody who's having a tough time this week, Holy Spirit, give them new insight, them to know what they need to know. Help them to go where they need to go, Help them to say what they need to say. Help direct them along the way. Help those who need to wait for your perfect timing to not get in a hurry. Help those who are struggling with something that just they can't seem to resist, to stop relying on willpower and rely on spirit power. And I pray you would protect this flock. You would protect them from dangers and mistakes. And Lord, help us to be smart enough to listen to your warning and then not walk foolishly into areas you've told us to avoid.
Speaker 2: Lord.
Speaker 1: For anyone who doesn't know you here today, may they right now say Jesus, I want to know you. Just say that, Jesus, I want to know you, and I want you in my life. May they begin this journey today for the rest of their life. I pray this blessing in your name. Amen, God bless you guys.