Speaker 1: Do you know what real power is? It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day. With a smart all Day plan from Board Gosh Energy, save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five You're oh welcome bonus switch today at Boardgosh Energy dot I E Board Gosh Energy.
Speaker 2: Know your power.
Speaker 3: Estimated annual bility twenty six hundred twenty nine, Your new customers only thirst of percentI is kent of Smart all Day electricity unit rates in twenty nine percent of gas. You know a seaportcush Energy dot E for fulties and cs.
Speaker 2: Do you know what real power is?
Speaker 1: It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day with a smart all day plan from Board Gosh Energy, save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five You're oh welcome bonus switch today at Boardgosh Energy dot I E Board Gosh Energy.
Speaker 3: Know your power estimate annual bill of two thousand, six hundred twenty nine. Your new customers only THIRSHPERCENTI is kent of Smart All Day electricity unit rates in twenty nine percent of gas. You know a seaportsh energy dot E for fulties and ces.
Speaker 4: O.
Speaker 5: Hey it's your internet, dad. I'm here with facts about things you don't know you care about yet, Ali Ward, I'm back with an episode of Ologies. It is not about Valentine's Day, because if you are coupled, you have had a lot of quality time together this past year, and if you're not, it has been a year of maybe zoom dates and googling diy hug machine plans. So we're just not doing that this week. Okay, there's no episodes about matrimoniology or sexology. We had those in previous years, and yes they'll be linked in the show notes. But this episode is not about that. It's not about roses or chocolate. It's about not chocolate. It's about undersung trees. It's about something perhaps right over your head that you're about to be obsessed about. It's about carab. Yeah, carab stop. Okay. First, thanks, thank you to everyone on Patreon. I gushed about you in a recent article that I will link on my website and heads up, you can join Patreon for a one tiny dollar and thanks to everyone who's subscribing and posting on social media, texting your friends about the show, leaving reviews. I pick a newly left one each week, such as this one from NK. Shepherd who says that ologies is the best thing they got from NX and they say, this recommendation is from an exis friend and it's the best thing I'm left with. Incredibly fresh, entertaining and educational. Not an easy feat. Also thank you m K. Shepherd. If you're single, there is a Flirtology singles group on Facebook. I'm just saying, and then I wink at you. Okay. Charrobology This is indeed a word. It has been used just one time in the literature. It was in a nineteen forty five La Times article by a columnist who wrote quote in his book character Study of a Carab Tree, Doctor Arboreal Snodgrass, a karabologist of the nth degree says they is a tree of the Seratonia siliqua, and then it goes on to describe the charb tree. So yes, karabologist used in a nineteen forty five newspaper. It's a word so karab itself, though comes from a root word in Aramaic Karuba, meaning carab tree or carib shrug. It's also related to the Hebrew Carab for carab. Does that help you? I don't know, But once I had found out that carobology had been used, it was on with this Davis based California carab expert. So she studied in her undergrad art and humanities, but has had a second career as a musician and then decided to go back to school to pursue STEM and she launched her own research into the carab tree, which she continues as she gets her masters at UC Davis, working in almond development. And she's passionate about plants, about the underdogs, under our noses and above our heads. And we chatted about everything from hoggandaws to pupcakes and pods, potassium, the culinary horrors of the nineteen seventies, fiber, the drought resistant resolve of carab, how to find one, when to pick the pods, what to make from them. We also talk about cheesecake, rum, fungi, diamonds, and most importantly, how carab is about to make a comeback right into your mouth and your heart. With Botany nerd outspoken advocate and carobologist, Megan Lynch.
Speaker 4: In terms of my body personally, phenotypically, I'm very irish, So being in a place with you know that's not too hot. You know, the ideal temperature for me is like about seventy five. I love, you know, a reasonable amount of rain, a reasonable amount of fog. I love all that stuff. And when I went up to Davis last fall, I was living down there again, So it gave me a basis for comparison in terms of how much had changed, you know, as opposed to people who live there the whole time. The change is so gradual. It doesn't they don't see it. But for me it was, you know, there were definitely things that were really dramatically different.
Speaker 5: That's such a scientist thing to say, give me a basis for comparison, spoken like a true scientist. Have you always wanted to be a scientist.
Speaker 4: No, it's not something that I I mean, I always took science. But I have to say, I mean, where to start with this. I'm disabled. I became physically disabled at twenty nine.
Speaker 5: And as anyone who lives with them knows, not all disabilities that are physical or visible, and not all disabilities are even physical. And Megan is an amazing advocate for all kinds of folks, and I actually started following her when I got wind of the disabilities in STEM hashtag on Twitter, And like many people using that hashtag, she didn't think that she belonged in STEM, despite her love of it.
Speaker 4: I still don't have the money to get an official diagnosis, but I'm pretty sure I have dyscalculio, which is is sort of like dyslexia for math, you know, and spatial things, and so much of the way science is taught in junior high and high school, you know, and certainly the messages that we get from society at large is that if you're not excellent in math, don't even consider going into science. Yeah, And so I think for that reason that's why I didn't really consider it as an option for me.
Speaker 5: So Megan was readjusting to life after becoming disabled, and she says the reality for folks living with a disability, visible or invisible, is that a lot of jobs are deemed by others as inaccessible to them. And she says that sadly, the employment levels and income levels tend to be lower, and it really drives those populations into a situation where finances are a struggle. In fact, I was looking this up and today found out that Section fourteen of the Fair Labor Standards Act states that employers can pay employees with the disabilities below the minimum wage, and in order for the subminimum wage to apply, it says the disability of the worker must directly affect their productivity in their given position, and that the disabilities affecting productivity can include blindness, mental illness, developmental disabilities, cerebral palsy, and alcoholism and drug addiction. So, since this section was enacted in nineteen eighty six, folks with the disabilities of all kinds have been legally paid below minimum wage for their work. So just feel free to pause this and go break some plates, or grab your collar and rip your shirt off, or crush some metal in your hands, or perhaps tweet your congress person because that is disgusting anyway. So Megan, who became disabled in her twenties, was trying to figure out what to do.
Speaker 4: When I first went back to community college, I was thinking I was just going to brush up the skills I was resting on and then look around for what I could retrain in, and then within a semester I was. I took a botany class as well as a environmental chemistry class for non major's, simply to you know, for my own interest. And by the end of that semester, my botany teacher had sort of pulled me aside and said, hey, you know, you're good, and I had actually pulled her aside and said, look, I'm you know, I'm trying to consider what it is I can do, and I don't want to do something that's completely unfulfilling for me, because I've actually done a lot of that in my life already. Although jobs that I can see for people in horticulture, you know, even the most advanced jobs, they want you to lift fifty pounds, you need to be certified for a forklift work. Blah blah blah. Is this even possible for me? And she says, yeah, I think you could do lab science.
Speaker 5: Oh so you kind of got discovered almost.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess. I mean, it's just that it took somebody to make it clear to me that that sort of pop idea of what science is is not necessarily the way science works on a daily basis. That does doesn't mean that it's easy for scientists with disabilities anything but but but the fact is, and even at that same institution, there was another prof that I was taking chemistry from who was like, why are you even going into science if you're not good at math? And yeah, I know, which is really rather a ridiculous thing, because it's it's like, you don't have to be the person in the lab who's in charge of all the calculations, you know, even if we even if we didn't have computer programs into which you just plugged variables, but for some reason, you know, there's that sort of gatekeeping. And I think one thing that helped me a lot, besides that professor taking me aside and expressing confidence in me, was the fact that, you know, I was already on Twitter to before I went back to school, just to promote my album, And so I switched to sort of using my Twitter account to just following as many scientists, particularly planned scientists, as I could.
Speaker 5: Megan credits some of her resolve to the working scientists she follows who were brave enough to come out and say, hey, math isn't my passion or my strong suit, and that just have their work double checked or focus on qualitative things. And we heard this very thing actually from excellent doctor Kaylee Swift of corvid Thanatology, and in that episode she discusses her ADHD and she has gone on to be a huge star in her field.
Speaker 4: The fact that people were willing to admit, yeah, I'm not that stereotype.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: We have people in science who are complete whizzes at it, and that's great. It's really it's important for the type of work that demands that. But it doesn't mean the other sides of science don't always need that all the time. You're working in a team and everybody has their own strengths.
Speaker 5: When it comes to botany and music. I'm sure that they fulfill different things for you, But is there anything that's similar about them when you think about projects that you work on, or anything that excites you about both kind of in the same way.
Speaker 4: Gosh, I suppose for me, when I'm singing or when I'm singing in front of an audience, I'm very much present in the moment. And when I'm doing field work working with plants, or when I'm gardening or that is about the most you know. I don't find meditation easy. My brain talks to me a lot, so something that gets me out of my own head is very much, you know, doing that kind of observation of nature does.
Speaker 5: That that's a really beautiful thing. That's got to be such a great incentive to do field work to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think it's also something that you know, doing this work where I chose for logistical reasons, working on street trees. It brings me into contact with what those trees and what public trials trees mean to people. And certainly there have been studies in terms of the mental health benefits of living someplace where there's plenty of greenery. It's clearly not just working for me. That sort of calming, meditative aspect to being around a tree that takes you out of yourself and you can just observe the wind going through the trees, or you can hear you know, like outside my door right now, there's a walnut tree and you can hear the sound of the squirrels eating the walnuts.
Speaker 5: And you said street trees in particular, how do you differentiate a tree tree in a street tree.
Speaker 4: I call something a street tree if it is something that is planted, usually by the city, in the little hell strip that's in front of people's yards. Is that called a hell strip or do you no, that's one of the things. I mean, it's not the official name of it, but it's something I sort of picked up for There's a blog called garden Rant. I think that first introduced me to that, and you know, I mean, it can be a heaven strip too, but for a lot of people it's.
Speaker 5: A Megan says that generally the city is responsible for the hell strip, but sometimes the homeowner will just go out and plant something in there, and you know, nobody cares or catches them. Maybe a business will prune some branches that cover their signage or just chop down a tree without getting caught. And then there's nonprofits like tree people who sometimes care for the street trees if the government is neglecting them. But street trees are all over, which makes them both familiar and intriguing but easy to get to.
Speaker 4: So I needed some aspect that I could study that was nearby that was inexpensive for me to study. And that's when I remembered that there had been carab trees near my grammar school, and that there were in our region a number of street trees that were Caribs. And there's a tree fruit that I can study three hundred and sixty five days a year. That was my initial approach to it.
Speaker 5: Ah, And I perhaps you're biased, perhaps you're not. Is carab the best street tree?
Speaker 4: Well? I think I think for any species, you know, they always the cliche thing is right plant for the right place. So carib is very good. And I would say it's an ideal tree to plant in coastal and some valley parts of California. Once you start getting north north, where the winter temps get down below twenty, it's not a good good thing to plant.
Speaker 5: What is a carab tree?
Speaker 4: It's a member of the Fabasier family, So that's the same family that you know the beans we eat come from. It's a very large family. Some of the family does what's called nitrogen fixing, and the used to be called the legumi noose, so they're legumes. And carib is in the genus Serotonia, which only has two members. So it's one of two members of that genus.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, that's tiny, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: It is. It's really an oddball in a lot of ways.
Speaker 5: By the way, I heard the genus Serotonia, and I wondered if it had any kind of shared history with serotonin, the neurochemical that keeps us chipper. But serotonia is spelled with the sea and it's actually closer to keratin, coming from the root for horn in case you feel horn up for etymology. For more on serotonin, by the way, which comes from the word for serum, you can listen to the Molecular Neurobiology episode with Doctor Brain aka Crystal Dilworth, PhD. But let's resume the legume chat on this what has become a podpod.
Speaker 4: It's an evergreen tree. It's native to the Mediterranean, which is one of the reasons it does well in California, which has a Mediterranean climate for the moment climate change is real. It's what's called dioecious, which means that it has sexes. Tends to fall broadly into male or female, although there are some that are called hermaphrodites, And what they're referring to there really is the flower parts that the tree makes and the females and the hermaphrodites produce pods, and the pods are very useful. You can use the whole pot and the seeds in various ways.
Speaker 2: I'd like to eat the whole thing.
Speaker 5: And are you allowed to collect cara pods. If it's a street tree, can you harvest them?
Speaker 4: Yeah? People do. I mean honestly, even though people homeowners tend to get very possessive of things that are in that hell strip. But even if the if the homeowner planted it, the hellstrip is not their property in most places, So yeah, you're within your rights. I would just say, you know, be polite, don't leave a mess, don't you know, climb on people's coores or but yeah, yeah, no, it does happen, and.
Speaker 5: They're obviously edible because all of us no care ab as chocolate's weird less offensive cousin kind of right, careb is called in as a substitute.
Speaker 4: Correct, Well, that's how we've come to use it. But it's really a rather recent development relatively speaking. Oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah, it's very recent. I mean, if you think about it, what we think of as chocolate, that didn't even develop until the late nineteenth century.
Speaker 5: Oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in this in the sense that we think of it in terms of like this bar is that is processed and conked, you know, and that it's made with cocoa butter. The cocoa butter and chocolate is from cacao. It's not from coconut, you know, but it's just processed in this very smooth way where those things two things are put together. That's more of a mid to late nineteenth century development, whereas prior to that, you know, if you get like Mexican hot chocolate, like ibarra or something, and you have these cakes that are together, that's much closer to what chocolate was for years.
Speaker 5: Ps. If you must know which, you must that etymology of coconut and cocoa, it's about to go from confusing and muddled to just adorable sort of. So cocw and chocolate and cocoa, which is a highly processed form of rock cocw. Those all stem from an indigenous meso American word used to describe the cocow plant, which does not have nuts. It has seeds and coconuts. Tropical coconuts are neither cocoa or nuts. They're actually something called a drupe, which is like an apricot or a peach or a cherry. Cocoa in the word coconut comes from the Portuguese word for boogeyman or hobgoblin because of its three dots that look like a creepy skull. So if you ever again order a pinicolata, just know that you're sipping the oily blood of a hobgoblin drup dida. So chocolate is from cocaw, which is not coconut, which is not a nut. None of these things are kerab, and frankly, carab doesn't give a shit. It never asked to be involved with any of those theatrics. Do you think that humans were yumming up on carab before chocolate?
Speaker 4: Broadly speaking, I don't want to say that, because you know, the Aztecs and other indigenous peoples of the Americas were using cacao, you know, for ages and so even the things that we think of as being chocolate, that process didn't develop till later. But certainly it was an extremely important drink and item in their culture. So I really just think of it as a parallel thing, which is that in the Mediterranean where carab is, native people were using carab in the various ways that they use it without even knowing that such a thing as cacao existed, And likewise, the people in the Americas were using cacao and it was taking the place that it takes in their society without even knowing there was such a thing as the Mediterranean, this thing called Krab. Because of my background in the humanities, you know, I immediately started not just looking for botanical information, but looking for historical information. And if it leads me down to gas aeronomic history, then I go down that road. But I'm not an expert in gastronomic history or you know, so I'm sort of accruing the knowledge as I can get it. You know, the indications I'm seeing are that certain religions that had issues with stimulants might have been the reason why Carib was grasped that as a chocolate substitute, because the chocolate was forbidden to have because of it has some stimulant properties.
Speaker 5: I never connected it until right now that growing up, my LDS friends who were in the Mormon Church ate carib for religious reasons. I never got that. My friend Lizzette always had Tiger's milk bars as a snack in her lunch, and those are quoted in carib And like a big milk chocolate bar, which is about one hundred grams, has about as much caffeine as a coke, Carab has none also as an American, I am deficient in the metric system. But I just found a website called one hundred dash grams dot blogspot dot com that shows you what one hundred grams of a bunch of different foods look like. It's so helpful. However, they do not feature any carrot products. These pods that are on the trees. You said you can use the pod as well as the seeds.
Speaker 4: Yeah. In fact, actually, when you're talking about you know, quote unquote chocolate substitute, what's being eaten there is actually the processed bits of the pod itself, not the seeds. Really. Yeah, no way.
Speaker 5: You never would have guessed that.
Speaker 4: You can eat them straight off the tree. I mean, if they're not too old, they won't be too tasty if they're several years old. But if you get like that year's crop, it's kind of you know, a little uh. I don't know how to describe the texture, right, It's almost like the texture you would have in a macaroon. If you crack the pod open, inside is a wheat pulp.
Speaker 5: I had no idea. I had no idea that you could even do that. Okay, how do you know what if you have a carab tree on your street, on your hell strip, and you have no idea, how can you tell? What do you look for?
Speaker 4: What defines a carab? To look at it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you were to, cause I'm sure that when you are running around Davis, you're like carrab, carab, carab, carab.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: People probably go past them all the time and have no idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, that's true. Well, they have what are called compound leaves, which is that instead of just that one sort of you know, bow shaped leaf that's like most people draw if they're drawing a leaf, it's a leaf that's composed of leaflets and that can vary anywhere from four leaflets to leaf to twelve leaflets per leaf. And the leaflets are elliptical and they tend to come they are mostly opposite each other they're on. The leaf itself is a sort of leathery dark green color when they're mature, and a lot of the trees that were planted around southern California as street trees are eighty two one hundred years old. They get to about twenty five to thirty feet tall. They tend to be more gnarled. There are ones that are straighter of course, but they I mean, they're really beautiful to look at for that reason there, and then the dead giveaway would be if you're seeing pods coming from them.
Speaker 5: But the difference between a shrub and a tree and a bush. Are cara trees big shrubs?
Speaker 4: Yeah, kind of. Yeah, the ones that were made into street trees, they're literally made into that in the sense that all throughout its life, somebody's been pruning its lower branches off and like selecting one of the trunks for a trunk. But if you left them alone, you'd probably get more than one trunk, and it would still grow to like about twenty five thirty feet eat however many feet it is, it would just be like this bushier thing rather than a lollipop.
Speaker 5: So okay, fun history. During the depression, Seventh Day Adventists planted a bunch of carab trees in an LA suburb called Pasadena, hoping people would eat them and never have to go hungry. But people were like, what are these turd trees? And why aren't they chocolate looking? A gift legome straight in the podmouth. And if you are dying to know yourself, where your closest carab tree is? You can go to einaturalist dot org and I did. I found some within two blocks of me, and now I want to go say hi and hug them and see if I can nibble on their offerings. Sure, they're in season during the late summer and early fall, But Megan says, if they're on the tree still and no one is fighting you for them, just pocket what you can the seeds. What do you make with the seeds?
Speaker 4: Well, have you ever picked up and looked at the ingredients of yogurt or cottage cheese or ice cream and seen an ingredient that says locus being gum?
Speaker 5: No, oh, locust flint flam about to be busted. Now I have a feeling I know where this is going though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, locus being gum or carab being gum that's made from the seats?
Speaker 5: Oh my god? Is there a lot of like, uh fiber in them? Is it what makes it glooy or sticki or gummy?
Speaker 4: Uh? There's a there's a substance in it called galacto man and it's a long chain sugar. And when you have these sort of long chain kinky sugars, and I mean in terms of the shape of the molecule. Then it means that they kind of lay on each other in a way that is not you know, it doesn't collapse very much, right, so it thickens. Whatever it's in doesn't have a strong taste on its own, so it makes it a perfect thing to put into something that you like perfectly. Well, you want to taste the taste of that item, but you also want that item to be thicker and easier to handle. I remember when yogurt really started becoming more popular in a mainstream way when I was young in the seventies.
Speaker 5: This taught me that I don't read labels enough.
Speaker 2: You'll play yogurt get a little taste of French culture.
Speaker 4: And for some reason they just decided that we needed something thicker, so they thicken it up. And carab being gum or locus being gum is it's more commonly called lbgut locus being gum. That's vegetarian, and I believe it's also you know, as long as it goes through the right authority and gets approved, it's kosher, So it makes it something you can use in a lot of different products.
Speaker 5: And it is well, why locus being gum does locus do? They just love carab trees, locust, flim flam about to be busted.
Speaker 4: Another common name in English and also in German and other things for carab is Saint John's bread. So in the Bible there's a thing where, you know, I think it's John the Baptist rather than John the gospel writer, but that he was out in the desert and he was living on locusts and honey, and the locusts that they're referring to there are carab pods.
Speaker 5: Oh, he wasn't eating grasshoppers. No, he wasn't a lot of protein though, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Exactly right. Yeah, like from the locus problems they're having in East Africa and other places right now, you know you definitely go, well, yeah, it would be nice if we were all cooler about eating that because it is protein. Yeah, it would sort of knock two birds out with one stone.
Speaker 5: Without having to kill a bird, just the locus. For more on eating bugs, feel free to listen to the Wonderful Entomophagy Anthropology episode back in January twenty nineteen. But getting back to Megan's research, she started to gravitate to this scrappy, hardy, underloved tree.
Speaker 4: So I just thought, Okay, there, I know that where these carib street trees are, I can start looking around to see where other locations are in LA area that are close enough that I can visit on a reasonable frequent basis. And I just went out there literally with a clipboard and a pencil and just started writing down everything I noticed about the plant. And I think I may even have done that before I looked up anything more about it, so that I could keep, you know, initially, keep very fresh in terms of what am I seeing here?
Speaker 2: I can get it.
Speaker 4: But I did, of course, soon go to the web, and this is in twenty thirteen, and there was a great deal less about carab on the web than there is now. But both then and now, I was sort of astounded that a species that I knew had been around for so long and had been known for so long, had been semi domesticated for so long that there was a very little good authoritative information either in horticultural gardening kind of side of things or the horticultural science side of things. And that just was really odd to me. I mean, how could you be around something all the time and like nobody's choosing to act study it? Yeah, I still can't really answer for you why that is. And that's why, like when I do a presentation on it, I mean, you know, I say it, it's it's like the Rodney Dangerfield of the fruit world, you know, because it don't it don't get no respect, no respect from anyone.
Speaker 5: I love Rodney Daniel, and I'll for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, somebody was using that. Somebody was using a jiff of him the other day, and I'm like, oh, I gotta get I gotta take that for my presentation, that that sort of tie tugging motion, you know, yeah, yeah, amazing. So by looking online, what I could find were a lot of sort of myths that would get promulgated about it. And what I mean by that is that if you're saying that if Caraba takes forty years to become mature right to be able to even bear its first fruit, well then I want to see your citation for that. I happened to know that was extremely unlikely to be true, but people repeat that because there's a sort of I don't think it's literally from the Christian Bible, but it's from I think a judaic text that's sort of like largely that you know, old Testament stuff was taken from or like the tales of some rabbi or something, and in that tale it says it took forty years. But you know, forty is also a name number that we see crop up over and over again because it has you know, forty days and forty nights, forty years out in the desert or whatever, you know, So it's more of like a symbolic number. It really doesn't have to do with what the charab tree does itself. It's just that people repeat it so much that they don't even link to like where there's an authoritative source. But you know, unless say, oh, well, kerab seat's all weigh the same, and so therefore the word that we use for carrot, you know, it was used for measurement, and therefore twenty four carrot carrot comes from the word carob. Oh my gosh, that's what they say. Actually they aren't very similar, but they're not like, you know, you wouldn't want to use that in any kind of modern content.
Speaker 5: It's not like a metrological standard.
Speaker 4: You know, if you're on Gilligan's Island there's something in there's a character there, then maybe yeah, oh my god, so there were a lot of things like that. And then the other thing that happened was that I kept coming across this name of this guy named doctor j Elliott Quoit, and I would notice that some of the few things I could find on carap that were informative were from this guy. And I was lucky that even in twenty thirteen, the California Avocado Society or whatever the success or organization was to that, had put up PDFs of some of these old newsletters and things that they had, and Quoit had written quite a few articles. Quite is super important in the development of avocados as a commercial product, which was really centered in southern California in the early twentieth century.
Speaker 5: Oh so yes, doctor j Elliott Quoit was the granddaddy of California. Yeah, avocados, there you go. But he had a sweet spot for our friend Carab.
Speaker 4: Also, he had put together a carab demonstration orchard in San Diego County starting in about nineteen forty nine, I think it started and going for a decade or two before his money ran out, and that sort of thing where he was trialing the best carib and so they had gone around the state where there were already lots of carab trees planted because it doesn't need a lot of water, and in the days before we had huge irrigation projects here in California, that was a perfect tree to be planning because it provides a lot of shade, It provides pods if you want them, if it happens to be a female or a hermaphrodite, and they're really tough through even prolonged drought. Once they're established, they're very tough. So they went all over the state kind of trying to find superior specimens of carib and they took cuttings of that to propagate, and then they also imported the best ones that existed in the Mediterranean and they trialed those carib over about a decade and a half or something in San Diego County. It led into just really interesting stories about world history, California history. In the twenties, there was a short lived sort of real estate won't call it a boom, but you know, at the same time they're trying there was a real estate boom around Citrus. They were trying to get people to come out here from back East and you know, make a million dollars as Citrus moguls. Well, there was a sort of smaller version of that done for Carib, and Quoit was convinced that that had ruined Carib's relationship because a lot of people who weren't able to make a go of it the same way that you know, maybe at least was being advertised for citrus. There was a period in the twenties where carib was highly popular, and so not only was it being planted more as a street tree and a public tree, but it was also being tried as an orchard tree as a crop. One of the interesting things was in these archives is seeing pamphlets of them going, you know, make your fortune and care. We've got this turnkey operation for you. We all provide the trees. You do this. You know, you can see our agent and blah blah blah. And here's this photo of this bakery and all they're doing is turning out carab bread. You know, just this really weird, you know, like they're definitely novels and films that have sort of the people enjoy a lot that really focus on that period of early twentieth century southern California where you know, it was just wild with all sorts of weird stuff going on. Yeah, and that was one of them.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, like I get rich quick plant carab, Yeah, exactly, yeah, yeah, the pods of the future. Oh my god, that's amazing. And so and then it did it take off in the way they expected.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I do know that Quoit was of the opinion that the experiences people had had with the way that that advertising was overblown had soured people on carab, and I think part of the problem that was existing in southern California. It's I literally just like Quoit, I think you could have made a go of it. It's really all about how you do it. So a good example of like somebody doing what California could have been doing this decades ago, and even now. It would be a good thing for California to get into because carab can be grown on ground that that other plants can't handle. Even some of the even some of the ones that don't use as much water, are still not tough enough to handle some of the stuff that carab can handle in terms of how poor the soil can be and care can still give you a crop. So it makes a lot of sense in this in the day and age where you know, we have more intense weather going on, we have more intense droughts. What quite knew was a problem, and what probably was a problem for people establishing anything here in the twenties is that we didn't have the machinery that there needed to be to do what's called kibbling. And that's what's kibbling. Well, yeah, it's called kibbling. It's basically a machine that breaks the pod into pieces so and then extracts the seeds from those pieces and separates out those those pod pieces from the seed so the seed can be processed for locus being gum, which has been used you know, even before they were putting it in yogurt, they were using it to like have you ever bought fabric and the fabric is stiff Yeah, yeah, that stiffener is called sizing. And I don't know if that's currently what's used, but certainly in the past, carab being gum could be used as sizing for fabric. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: Okay, so we've figured out a way to have all of these different uses for different parts of the plant.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and the wood is gorgeous. I mean, I don't know if you've ever seen anything. But if you went online and you put in carab wood, you would see amazing artwork and sculptural type things that have been made for it. It's not it's very twisty, as my understanding from word workers, So it's not a good load bearing wood. But in terms of smaller pieces of furniture, like using it for live edged tabletops, I think the most unusual thing I've ever seen made out of a salvaged carab is a Les Paul copy guitar less carab. Amazing. It's this gorgeous reddish wood. The heartwood is really gorgeous. So yeah, it is this, And that's why I think it's like so disrespected. It's like the giving tree. You know, it's like you took this from me, You took that from me to you know, you never appreciated anything I gave you. I gave you, pods, I gave you. You know see that you could make this, you know, really useful stuff out of I. And when I'm done with my life, I give you my wood. Still you don't respect men to cry?
Speaker 5: What about the leaves do? I don't tell them like the leaves can cure like dermatitis or something I'm like willing to believe anything there.
Speaker 4: You know, if it were better funded, it's it's it would be interesting to see what you could do. Certainly, when I started looking for scientific papers that there wasn't a lot out there on it. But I did find a fair amount of. Uh is, there are papers that are looking at the chemical composition of various components that the charab tream makes because the kebs full of phenols, those are plant defense compounds. Those sorts of compounds often have medicinal uses. So certainly people have been doing research on that sort of thing, although I don't know of anything conclusive yet, And like I said, partly because it's not you know, it's not super sexy.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I started digging around and I found a twenty seventeen study titled Chemical constituents and Pharmacological Actions of Carab pods and leaves in the gastroone testinal TRAC. Not super sexy, how dare?
Speaker 4: How dare?
Speaker 5: But the abstract raved of carab that this plant possesses anti inflammatory, antimicrobial, anti diarrheic, antioxidant, anti ulcer, anti constipation, and anti absorbative of glucose activities in the gastroone testinal TRAC. This was just in twenty seventeen. People are still funding out cool stuff about it. Other sources say it offers a plant based amino acid linked to collagen production that's only typically sourced from animal products. It's also high in fiber and calcium and iron antioxidants protein. Another study that came out in twenty eighteen said that it could be studied as therapy for neurodegenerative disorders. Our friend carab and yet people just let the pods fall on their lawns like leaving money on the table.
Speaker 4: It doesn't get funded anywhere near as much as other things do. And then as far as the leaves themselves, I know, goats can eat them. If you go on Twitter and you do a search on carab the very first thing you're gonna find are, you know, the plant equivalent of airline food jokes, what's the deal with airplane peanuts? Which is carabos is the most formulaic repeated joke. You'll see it weekly. And then when you get below that layer, probably the second most numerous thing you'll find about carab on Twitter would be people both businesses and actual pet owners showing photographs of you know, pupcakes as they call them, or various you know baked goods that are made for dogs that are made out of Carab.
Speaker 5: If you're not having the best day, you can change that by Google image searching the words eating a popcake, Corgi's in party, hats, lapping at frosting, you got a mutt and a tiara, seizing a treat like a shark attack. Oh, welcome to heaven, population Carab.
Speaker 4: I think it's also when I tried to get out like why it was that Carib just doesn't get respect. There's not only the sense of betrayal that people feel, because it's sort of a misplaced anger. Right. So if you've got a parent or somebody you trust and you're a little kid and that parent or somebody you trust is saying, oh, here, try this. It's chocolate, and then you have Carab, right, and it's not the same thing, but you can't appreciate that. You just feel betrayed. So people go all the way through their whole life going oh, Carab sucks, and it's like, no, it sucks that your relative to that tea. You know, It's like if I was telling somebody during this presentation. It's like if I am making spaghetti sauce from scratch, right, and one of the ingredients is anchovy paste, which comes in a tube, right, And somebody decides to play a prank on me and switches out the tube of anchovy paste with a tube of toothpaste, and I put that in my spaghetti sauce. Right, I'm not gonna be very happy about it. I like toothpaste just fine when it's doing what it's supposed to be doing and when it's what I expect. I have to go on the record here. I love chocolate and I love carib and they're different things.
Speaker 5: How do you eat them differently?
Speaker 4: Like for you, well, you can sort of make over chocolate recipes, and especially for people who have religious or they're allergic, and there are people who actually do have chocolate allergies, you can achieve a flavor profile with carib that has enough similarities to like maybe be somewhat satisfying. But you see the difference there is that you know what you're doing and you know what you're getting into. It's nobody telling you this is just like chocolate, right right right? You know, it's like you're trying to you know, quit sugar or whatever, and so you go to Stevia and you know that it's not sugar.
Speaker 5: Right, Someone's got to make a cookbook, Megan, I'm talking to you.
Speaker 4: I'm hoping to come out with a carab cookbook at some point when I you know, my copious spare time. Yeah, And I went at it like I really think carabot to be an ingredient on Iron Chef because people don't think creatively enough about it. And it would be really interesting to see if you gave some really top chefs and say here's your ingredient, what are you gonna do with it? You know that would they would have to think more creatively about it. And so I try to return to it what its flavor profile is like, and go what pairs well with this? And it tends to pair well with with spices like cinnamon and ginger and cayenne and cardamom, you know things like that, probably Chinese five spice, although I haven't tried that yet. Basically, I made a cheesecake that has a crust that's made out of super sharp and textural, like you know, those Nubisco ginger snaps, and then I fill it with cheesecake. That's with all of those spices in it, really, except I'll go a little light on the carda mom, if I'm putting the pepperin.
Speaker 2: That sounds splendid.
Speaker 4: Oh that's so good. Yeah, I got good feedback on it. I usually can convert people with that. I can't tell you how many times I've had people they'd like to disc carib or whatever. Yeah, I make a carib infused rum Ooh. No matter how people talk about how much they think Carab sucks, I've converted every single one of them with that.
Speaker 5: I love that you're out there being like a champion for Carab. It does need to be looked at differently. It needs to be appreciated for who it is, not what it's not one hundred percent. Can I tell you something bananas Carab covered bananas. Okay. So in twenty nineteen, a Food Business News article was forecasting culinary trends for twenty twenty one, which is now, and among them your buddy Carab. Food trend reporter Elizabeth Moscow wrote back in twenty nineteen that twenty twenty one will be Caribs year because quote, they didn't position Carab right in the seventies. It's not a chocolate replacer. When you're comparing anything to chocolate, it's going to fail. And Moscow continued to heap on pod praise, saying I wouldn't be surprised if Starbucks came out with a carib syrup in twenty twenty one, saying it gives an earthy, yummy, naturally sweet flavor. Carib get it.
Speaker 4: And it's like, you know, if you live in California or if you live in one of these Mediterranean climates, and it can actually go even a little further than that. I mean, Arizona's not a Mediterranean climate, and there are carib trees that have been there since the early twentieth century as well, and they're still growing there. And there's a little bit of carib in Florida, although that's really not an ideal environment. And I'm given the I'm given to understand some people try in Hawaii to Florida, and Hawaii are a little too humid for it in terms of that sort of tough tree. Where you're now moving into this drought prone, super hot climate. And have you heard the term urban heat islands?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes I have, and I.
Speaker 4: Certainly saw it in my research with carab, because you know, in a I think two or three blocks stretch of one street that I started my study on, within just a couple of years of my doing my study, eleven of these mature carab trees have been cut down.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Why it's there's a variety of reasons. I mean in those cases what happens, you know, like you were saying, you know, how do you select the right street tree and that sort of thing, And there are definitely, like you were also mentioning disability issues in terms of the sidewalks when they start to get pushed up. When Kara first started getting planted in California, we didn't have this, you know, profligate irrigation. We didn't have this sort of culture of like everybody gets along, and so Carab was a wonderful tree to plant then. And you know, there were other species that we also had that were very tough to drought and didn't need a lot of irrigation. But then when people moved into those areas and either they put in sidewalks that weren't there before, or they definitely were putting in lawns that weren't there before, and the tendency in California is that you're going to be watering your lawn maybe three or more times a week for like fifteen minutes. Right. That's a shallow kind of watering. And if you put all your water on the surface, well they're like, where's the water, Well, it's up top. I'm gonna put my roots up top because that's where you put the water.
Speaker 5: Trees know what's up and what's up literally is the water at the surface. Also, what is profligate irrigation? You ask, I only knew one of those words, and it wasn't profligate. So profligate means recklessly extravagant or wasteful in the use of resources. So what Megan is saying is that lawns in a desert are a great way to piss away good water. And so that's why you see sidewalks that might be uneven or they're getting pushed up by really surface roots.
Speaker 4: It's not always the reason, but often in California that's often the reason. I mean, there are some species that will tend to do that, Like so, for instance, there's certain fig species that would be more likely to have those big sort of roots pushing everything up to fig. The kind of eating fig that we have can take a fair you know, it's also a Mediterranean native, but probably more to like riparian areas or something.
Speaker 5: Maybe I know what riparian means. Maybe I don't, but if I were to look it up, I would find out that riparian means near a.
Speaker 4: River, and so it craves water. It can deal with that without it for a while, but it likes it better so it'll seek it out. But for other species like carib if you plant cab from a seed where it's at, it'll grow a big taproot because it goes looking down for water.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's called the taproot. I didn't know that it's tapping the soil, sort of tapping groundwater.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, well, caart is a taproot.
Speaker 5: Oh, I've never even thought about that. And it's just going it's digging deep, being like, hey, where's water down here?
Speaker 4: Yeah. The part we eat is the tap It actually carrot. If you were able to preserve the whole root system, there'd be a whole bunch of other root hairs and things sticking out. But we eat the tab root.
Speaker 5: Oh, I never even thought about that. So when you see photos of a carrot, but it looks like two legs and a tiny dong. That's less weird than we think. And if the eating a pupcake search wasn't enough to send shimmers down your spine, google carrots that look like dicks, but not if you're somewhere that you can't cackle because it's really good.
Speaker 2: Poor carrots.
Speaker 5: I always I'm like, uh, sorry, you did such a good job growing, And here I am just coming to being like thanks. It's too many emotions in botany. Who knew?
Speaker 4: We can look at it as a sort of botany of desire thing, which is a symbiotic thing. We help propagate them, we help keep them alive too.
Speaker 5: That's true. That's true. We will we will plant your children if we can eat you. Okay, I guess, I guess just plant my kids, plant my kids. That's all I asked. Can I ask you some listener questions?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yes?
Speaker 5: Is that cool? Oh my gosh, We've got some great ones. Okay, but before your Patreon questions, just a quick word about sponsors who make it possible for us to donate to a cause of the ologists choosing This week, Megan selected Foundation for Science and Disability FSD. They are a nonprofit organization affiliated with the American Association for the Advancement of Science and FSD promotes the integration of scientists with disabilities into all activities of the scientific community and of society as a whole. So donation went to them in Meghan's name and you can find out more at www dot STEMD dot org, which is linked on my website as well as in the show notes and how it's made possible by these word approve companies.
Speaker 2: Do you know what real power is?
Speaker 1: It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day with a smart all day plan from board Gosh Energy. Save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five You're a welcome bonus switch today at board Goosh Energy dot Ie Old Gosh Energy.
Speaker 2: Know your power.
Speaker 3: Estimation annual bill of twenty six and twenty nine your new customers only thirst percentis kent of Smart all day electricity unit rates in twenty nine percent of gas nitrates sea Portcusha Energy, dott E for full ties and seas Mom.
Speaker 2: Why did they call it Scottish cheese?
Speaker 4: This cottage cheese, honey, and I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Did dogs in other countries speak different languages?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think so.
Speaker 3: Well when we get there, well, we've got to fix the car first, but there's someone coming.
Speaker 2: To help us.
Speaker 1: Is it the man from Geneva?
Speaker 5: Not Geneva, he's from a Viva.
Speaker 4: Oh there's a van now.
Speaker 6: For car insurance with breakdown rescue, it takes a Viva visit a Viva dotta eat to say fifteen percent acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply. Minimum premium of three hundred and ten year old. Fifteen percent discant applies to new policies BottomLine. See Aviva dott I E for details. Car insurance is underwritten by a Viva Insurance Ireland dak Aviva Direct Arland Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
Speaker 5: Okay, your carab questions, This goes to your cultivation discussion. Mega McLean wants to know when buying carab, how does one pick out the quality carab from the crap carib? Are there different types as found in chocolate? How do you go carab buying.
Speaker 4: I'm really glad they said that because a lot of people when they're kind of crapping on carab because they think it's so far short of chocolate, they sort of conveniently forget that there's a big difference between cheap Easter fifty percent off chocolate and Jaques Torres. You know, there's a whole spectrum of chocolate quality, and just as that's true, there is a spectrum of cab quality as well. I would say for me, what's important is that carib is naturally sweet. The pods of the best selected varieties are about fifty percent sugars, just naturally, like off the tree. You could eat the pod pulp and it would be sugary. Oh so adding extra you know, cane sugar or whatever to that it just makes it more sickly sweet. And especially if you're if you're doing this sort of bargain bin bulk bin thing where you've got a lot of hydrogenated vegetable fats that are added to make it more chocolate, you just get this kind of chalky, gross thing that's not good carib and that's what most people have an experience with. There are companies like Sunspire that make both kinds available, a sugar added and a no sugar added version, and I would absolutely encourage people to try what Carab tastes like with no added sugar. Ooh, okay, I'm not trying to plug plug specific brands. It's just that, you know, unlike chocolate, where you really do have this complete galaxy of brands to be choosing from, there's just not that many people in the US who are making products available. So even in a bulk bin, they'll they'll you know, if you went to someplace like Berkeley Bowl and Berkeley or whatever, you would see it labeled labeled as Sunspire. The importer for Australian carib cob products in the US. The sole importer and distributor is a company called Azure Standard, and they have quite a variety of Carab products available, including Australian Carab coat.
Speaker 5: Okay, I snooped on reviews online and one said, I'm not that familiar with Carab, but wanted to give it a try, and I'm glad I did lovely interesting flavor, not chocolate, but I wasn't trying to fool anyone. That's the spirit. Okay. So you have yourself a bunch of carap, either in powder form or syrup.
Speaker 4: And you were asking me how I use it. The two major ways you're going to get a hold of it are going to be what's called carab powder. It's sometimes called carab flower and carab syrup or molasses. If you went to a Middle Eastern grocery, you would likely find carab molasses there. Oh so if you live in a city that has a Middle Eastern population large enough to support one or more Middle Eastern groceries, you will probably find carab molasses carb syrup on the shelf. And I would use that when I make my cheesecake. Frinds, I'm using that.
Speaker 5: Can you add that to coffee at all?
Speaker 2: Easy?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It's good. I love it added with coffee. Yeah, I mean because I take my I don't know how it is when you're when you like your coffee black, But for me, I sort of like my cof I like my coffee to be as close as to coffee ice cream asus. Yeah, And it really gives it a really nice richness to the It sort of enriches the flavor profile I find. As far as the carab powder, that's a lot easier to come across. Bob's Red Mill sells that, but there are also other bulk places that sell it and that you can really use one for one the same way you would use cocoa. Oh okay, if you have a chocolate crinkle cookie recipe, you could make it out of that. And again I would probably add those extra spices, and they're not the Carab I mean absolutely needs it. I think adding the other spices helps get people out of the mindset. I didn't have hippie parents who forced it on me. Mm hmmm, so I don't have those associations with it. But for people who do, I find that the added spices kind of get them out of that frame of mind that, oh, this is some cheap you know, I wish I were having chocolate instead or whatever.
Speaker 5: Right, and Ethan Botone wants to know, I've only ever heard of carab from an episode of Hey Arnold. Do you know about this pop culture reference? Or are there others to.
Speaker 4: Cab Well, I have to say I'm older gen X, so I don't. I'm not sure that I is this Arnold the like PBS cartoon or something.
Speaker 5: Hey Arnold was a cartoon that featured one character, a child named Chocolate Boy, who is just a jittering, mouth smeared fiend who tries to quit his vice by t trading via Carab, and I don't think that it works out for him.
Speaker 2: Chocolate chocolate choc.
Speaker 5: Do you ever catch in TV shows or movies Carab getting hated on, or have they ever used it on like Food Network in a respectful way.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen it on places like Food Network or whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if it starts coming into that, because, as I told you, when I started looking for this stuff in twenty thirteen, there was a great deal less out there. In fact, even the Wikipedia entry was really really sparse, and the Wikipedia entry is a good, reasonably beefy entry now. But just as there's a sort of loc of war movement other places, and just as a lot of other places are trying to rediscover their you know, indigenous regional cuisines, the Mediterranean has been doing that as well, and so Cyprus and Greece and Italy and other places where Carab has been an aspect. I think that is really important of this is like you know, in the US and the UK and places where they had these sort of health food movements, did this sort of disingenuous stuff with Carab. The reason it wasn't respected in its home area quite so much seems to be linked to the fact, you know, again like the giving tree, it's like it gave, and it's gave during like some of the worst times they had, so they you know, they had World War One, and then they had the Great and then there was the Spanish Civil War, and then there was World War Two, and all through that period middle class and poorer people were surviving on Carab because shipping lanes and things were closed down during the war. Carib is a source of sugar, and from sugar you can also make alcohol. By the way, it's like anything. You know, you can like something, but if you're eating at twenty four to seven for weeks at a time, you might get so that you don't want to see so much of it anymore.
Speaker 5: Hence a lot of people just stabbing Carab in the back, slandering it, comparing it to something else entirely. Jonathan Coffman wrote a twenty eighteen New Yorker piece titled quote, how carib Traumatized a generation Now, unlike the nutty, pleasant flavor of carib, opinions on Carib are not mild.
Speaker 4: What I'll see is a quote that says, like Carib is the Devil's Raisin or something like that. Oh, no, something like that.
Speaker 2: And Satan's Raising.
Speaker 5: Nicholas Zamp is a first time question asker and wants to know. I've read that the processing involves using an acid or roasting to remove the skin of the seed, and has the same effect been achieved through fermentation, essentially, how is it processed?
Speaker 4: The factories that do this have only recently started coming online. When I first started looking, I knew that this kind of processing happened, but I didn't. I couldn't go. You know, it wasn't like these factories had websites even that late in the game. They're starting to now, though, and I've seen progress photos of it being processed. You have to ask not just what's possible, but given that we're talking capitalism here, whatever's the cheapest is what's probably going to get done.
Speaker 5: Okay, So, after you harvest a bunch of neglected, overlooked cara pods, you can kitchen process them by washing them and boiling it and just enough water to cover it or steaming until tender, and then you can cut open the pods. You remove the seeds, and you cut the pods into small pieces and you dry them out, and then you put the pieces in a and grind into a powdered and just process only small amounts at a time. According to some directions I found on permaculture dot org, the seeds, however, get turned into locus bean gum, but they're really hard, so don't chomp on them with your teeth plas and I did read a few studies that commercially processed carab powder has fewer beneficial compounds than home processed. So another good reason to ask your neighbors if you can eat their lawn trash. Now, what if you want to grow your own lawn trash. Some Patreon folks, including Austin based Sutton Taggart, Maria Jorovleva's partner, Laura Springer, and Catherine Jordan all asked about this. And we have a few people that want to know and I'll put their names in and aside if they can grow carab in their backyard. One person, Katherine Jordan from Saint Paul, Minnesota, Can you do that or do you have to be in Italy, Australia or California.
Speaker 4: Well, in Minnesota, if you have a greenhouse that you can keep to non humid Mediterranean conditions, then yes, you would be able to grow care I grow. I don't own any land, so minor grown in pots. That's not at all the ideal for what you're supposed to do, but that's what I do, and so it is certainly possible to grow in a pot. Once you get a carab into a pot, you're still going to have to water it more often than you would normally have to water it. But if you live, if you live in a Mediterranean climate or very adjacent to it the way that Arizona is, then yeah, you can grow it. And I would highly recommend that people do so because it's part of the way it's drought resistant is it has lower water needs. And it has lower water needs partly because it's got very leathery leaves that make sure that the water doesn't come out of it as easily, but also partly because it's not growing as fast and so it isn't a bit of an investment. I mean, it's not going to grow like a weed. It'll take a little while before you see something that grows taller than you are.
Speaker 5: Patron Radam Markam wrote in and said that there's a Jewish folk tale about an old man being scorned for planting a Carab treat because they supposedly take seventy years to fruit, and he won't be around to enjoy it by then because he's already so old, which I think sounds very mean. But Radon wanted to know is there any truth to that or does it just make a good cautionary story. Is it true that it takes seventy years to give you pods? Or is that flim flam?
Speaker 4: No, that's as I said, I think that came out of some sort of religious text or story rather than the reality. I should emphasize there's because there's so little funding, and because Carab does so much and is so good, even as it is, there actually has been no breeding effort whatsoever that I know of. What I came to grad school to do was to learn how to be a plant breeder, and so it's kind of remarkable that it does so many things so well, and this is just with very little improvement other than just going around the countryside and picking the best one you see and then clonally propagating.
Speaker 5: That clonally propagating means that instead of just rolling the dice and planting some seeds. Agriculture relies on things like grafting from a parent tree to ensure that they get really good genetics for good fruit and apples and bananas. Tons of crops are colonally propagated. Megan explains when.
Speaker 4: The Mediterranean in Australia or whatever, what they do is they often will either plant a seed out in the field and then when the seed gets large enough to the they'll graft her butt it, and so the variety. If you're grafting or budding, you can get carab in anywhere from three to eight years kind of depends. Oh, if you're growing it from seed, it's definitely going to be longer, and I'm getting the sense that it's like eight to twelve. Honestly, if you were to plant a peach from seed, you would also be waiting a while.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, food off of I have two more listener questions, if that's okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure.
Speaker 5: Michelle Dempsey, Ash and Heather N. Nenette all kind of want to know that. Well, their questions are similar but different, so I'll read Michelle Dempsy's. Michelle Tempsy says, I've seen articles suggesting chocolate has nifty qualities like containing antioxidants, has blood pressure lowering abilities. What sort of nifty qualities does karp have? And Heather wants to know if it produces endorphins.
Speaker 4: Well, because it doesn't have that stimulant property. No, it doesn't. It doesn't produce endorphins like that. It does have its strong points, just as chocolate also has some strong points. What it doesn't have that chocolate has is lots of funding to study what those are. Because any group that sells something will usually fund scientists to find out what can we say about our product, So there's a lot of funding like that. It's one of the things that I, you know, going back to school has been super interesting to me because it's given me the ability to be a lot more critical about the sort of things. You know, and I had a good, well you know, brad education before, but it's just made me realize how much more critical we have to be when we read certain things, especially if they're not linking directly to the study. Yes, I'm sure that there are things that chocolate does. Carab has a slightly different profile. It's somewhat high in protein for a fruit. It is high I think in potassium. It's a relative thing. You know, I don't know that i'd put it up next to a banana, but you know, it's a slightly different nutrient profile as well. But as far as like they're being a miracle cure for whatever, that all remains to be seen. I'm not going to say it doesn't exist. You have to have the funding to go looking for that sort of thing.
Speaker 5: We had some first time question askers. Three of them had the same question, Tara Tiger Studio, Chilean and Louder and Samantha Ryan. Samantha said, so people tend to go all in for the latest food trends without considering the environmental impacts of our increased demand. And Samantha has seen a lot more care products in grocery stores in the last few years. Hey, Krab, bring it on. But Samantha is curious as to how sustainable it is as a food source, and Nicholas Zemp also thinks that's a solid question.
Speaker 4: I think, I mean, I think it's really rather sustainable because, as I said, it can be grown on lands that are marginal for other sorts of crops. It can take a range of pH but you know, it tends to grow in sort of like more alkaline rocky. It can grow even you know, anywhere from adobe soil like we have in southern California is not ideal for it, but you know, there's these eighty to one hundred year old trees there, So I think, like anything, it's kind of like what you how you decide to go about it. But I think one thing that you can say, well keep it from being too destructive is the fact that it actually doesn't like a lot of water. So if you plan it someplace that's really you know, that shouldn't be getting irrigated a whole heck of a lot. Cara won't do well if you're irrigating it a whole heck.
Speaker 2: Of a lot.
Speaker 4: So that actually keeps it into it keeps it in its lane, so to speak.
Speaker 5: Good to know last Patreon question, but I I thought you would appreciate that. Well's Howe had a question that what the heck even is a carib And why have I never learned that those dried brown snake bananas hanging in the trees are edible? So wells Howe's life is now changed because of you.
Speaker 4: I like Snake Banana. It's a very good band name. Snake Bananas. When I break off from my band and do a solo project, right Snake Banana the.
Speaker 5: Best last questions? I always asked last two. What's the shittiest thing about carab What sucks the most about the trees or the process or anything whatever gets your goat.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a lot of things that I could come up with, but I think I'll come up with that item, which is that they're so underappreciated, I think is what sucks for me, and that they're maltreated. So like a lot of the stuff that people like to complain about about them, So cities will say, oh, this is unsuitable for planning here, and it's like, well, you know, if you don't hire people whose expertise is trees, if you hire people whose expertise is being in a cherry picker and using a chainsaw, and they don't know about the species they're dealing with, and then you maltreat the species. Why are you blaming the species?
Speaker 5: You know? Right right?
Speaker 4: So that's the worst thing, I think is just knowing what an amazing cool plant this is for Mediterranean climates, and how you know, really selflessly it gives and how much credit takes I think it's the worst thing. And certainly in the process of doing you know those the field work where I was going from street tree to street tree, it really hurts when you come back and you see a stump.
Speaker 5: M I know, I cry every time I read the getting Tree every day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah. I tweeted out from my account today a twenty sixteen story from the east side of LA which was a photo of a carab tree that was cut down and somebody had made a memorial to it, and it had like on gold ink on a black background. It had this whole you know, like essay but in big, big letters. Was like, why.
Speaker 5: No one listening to this will walk by a dried brown snake banana the same way. You know, we'll say thank you, and maybe, if you don't mind, I'll chew on one of you for a moment as I walk down the street. Now, as a person who walks down the street, I am privileged in that sidewalk cracks don't derail my day or typically threaten my life like the wood some folks, especially those who use any mobility devices. And one thing I love about Meghan is how great of an advocate she is for all kinds of people. And she founded You See Access Now. This past July on the thirtieth anniversary of the Americans with Disability Act passing, and she released something called a Demandifesto calling for better design and inclusion and accessibility not just for herself but for other University of calib for you students with disabilities at every campus. Because she is a badass with.
Speaker 4: A big heart. You have a really obvious disability. You don't have a choice. Everybody knows you're disabled. In my case, nobody would know unless I told them. And so because there's still you know, it doesn't matter that on the books it's illegal to discriminate on that basis, the fact is that people do, just like people still discriminate about race, sex and other things that are illegal to discriminate about. So I made a decision very early on that I had to be very out about it because I figure nothing really changes. You know. It's kind of like coming out Day is for the queer community, which is that it's a risky thing. But if we all do it together, then people will realize this is not this weird, rare thing that they can easily other. We are their friends, we are their family, And I think with invisible disabilities. At least the more out people feel they can ford to be or willing to take the risks to be, the more well realized. No, look, this is not this weird, rare other thing that you're trying to make it. This is part of the spectrum of humanity. It was not my goal to be an activist. And in fact, one thing that I've found other disabled scientists have said, and it was certainly my experience as well, which is that if you have the temerity to bring this up, they say, why don't you go be a disabled advocate? You know, you're clearly not interested in science.
Speaker 5: As if you can separate those parts of yourself, you know, as if you aren't interested in more than one thing. That's very frustrating. What do you say to that?
Speaker 4: Well, uh, it's hard to know what to say to that. I mean, you know, because by this point I should start rehearsing an answer to it, really because because in the moment you just get so furious about it. Yeah, because if anything, I'm showing how deep my interest is that I'm willing to ford through all the crap you're throwing in my way.
Speaker 5: And have you gotten to see the way that your efforts have impacted other people in your sphere and other people in STEM.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a lot of work, and you take the victories where you can get them. But I mean I've had I've had people who've told me, either publicly or privately, that I really helped them realize that the way they were communicating was inaccessible and that it wasn't that hard to make it accessible, and so they've changed the way. Like a lot of accounts on Twitter, and this includes even government accounts, here's something you could do when you know, watch Twitter if you see your state or county or a politician on their official account, and this is how you can check whether it has what's called all text and image description, and you can certainly watch for if it's a video, for instance, you can watch whether it has captions, if it's a press conference, did the press conference have an ASL interpreter, there are there video descriptions going on for the blind, you know, these sorts of things that they can just check for and it's not too hard to then, you know, talk back to those public Twitter accounts and hold them publicly accountable for that what people who are blind to have, you know, visual impairments use to access the Internet and the Twitter is something called screen reading software. So the screen reader just if you don't put anything in the all text thing, the screen reader will just say image. All the people who are blind are visually impaired, whether they're in stem or not, they're just hearing image.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 2: That sucks.
Speaker 4: And of course this exists for web pages as well. There's alt tags on web pages and stuff. But in Twitter, the all text character field is a thousand characters, so it should give you a little space to do that. And if it's too big for that, then you can always do a Google doc and then link to the Google doc and the tweets so that you can give you know, blind vision and don't like censor it for people. It's like, if it was important enough for you to tell people who are sighted, then tell people who are blind or have visual impairments exactly the same thing that you're giving to sighted people.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I didn't even know that there was an all text field.
Speaker 4: Why would you want to make accessibility something that you have to dig for and opt into. Why isn't that the default? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, God, that's such a good point. And that's something that can unless you hear someone speak out about it, or unless you know someone in your life who that affects you might be just completely naive to it. I think the work of advocates, I imagine that must feel very heavy at times. How much education needs to happen.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm in terms of my physical disability, I'm running at over twenty five years of having it right now. And because I wasn't born disabled, you know, I was raised in disablest society and very much with an ablest view of things, So it's taken me that long to throw off all the you know, I'm still not entirely one hundred percent, I can't say of it, but you have what's like an internalized ableism. So even though I was very out about it from the beginning, I also still had that sort of idea that had been inculcated into me that, oh, I don't want to be a problem for anybody, or oh I don't you know, rather than saying, no, wait a minute, I'm just as worthy of these things as you are.
Speaker 5: Was there any sort of any other advice that you'd want to give to anyone who is disabled? In StAmour is looking for a career or just kind of start their journey that you wish you knew, or any kind of words of wisdom or pep talk.
Speaker 4: I'd say definitely. I mean, there are probably other social media networks, but I know I probably wouldn't have made it to grad school if it had not been for being on Twitter. Science. Twitter helped me find out about things that I didn't know existed and what it's done, especially lately. When I first gone on, there were not a lot of sort of visibly disabled scientists. I mean what I mean by visibly is that they're out about it, and I think people are. You know, a lot of social movements in the radicalization of in very ways, various ways that has gone on in terms of opening people's eyes to forms of discrimination that have been going on for a very long time, is starting to sort of open the doors as far as disability and the awareness of ableism as well. So which that what that means is that you're more likely to find disabled scientists to speak with, and just even if they weren't like mentoring you, just knowing that there are other disabled scientists out there really really helps. Love.
Speaker 5: I love the different hashtags and love. I love that you can pop on them and then follow a bunch of new people and then just just you know, make a bunch of new friends online. They tell you what their lives are like, and you're like, that's great, you just made my world better and speaking of the best stuff, But your favorite thing about carab or carab trees what like, just lights your whole heart up.
Speaker 4: Again. There's so many things to choose from, but I think that, certainly, as far as the work I've done, what's most gratifying is what you just said, which is that you don't see it the same way people when they see you, like standing in front of their street tree taking notes, they kind of come out of their houses like what are you doing? And so I've had that experience a couple of times where people have had a talk with me and I, you know, once i assure them, no, I'm not from the city, or no I'm not you know, I'm not here to case your house for a burglary. I've had people come back to me and said, like, I totally took this tree for granted before, and it is so much more interesting that I thought it was, and I really want to make sure I'm active saving these trees.
Speaker 5: Now, Oh my gosh, that's so beautiful. That must feel so gratifying.
Speaker 4: It really is. I mean, you know, it's it's hard as a student, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who struggles with us, but for somebody who comes with my bachelor's and art especially, you know, there's sort of inferiority complex you have around whether you're really a scientist or not. And at least I can say that I'm effective enough at communicating the sorts of facts that I've learned and what I've observed from my field work that I'm able to persuade people. And really, what more do you want? Because you know, most people are not going to be looking up scientific journal.
Speaker 5: Articles exactly, so to have the passion and the will to communicate it is such a service to the data that you're collecting and the appreciation and preservation. Oh my god, this has been so fun. Thank you for letting me pepper you so many spicy questions. I've learned so much.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, no of my pleasure.
Speaker 5: So ask giving trees selfish questions, but make sure to appreciate them for who they are and let them live and ask smart people basic questions because you never know what is right under the surface in the treasure trove of their knowledge. So follow Megan Lynch. You can find her on Twitter, at may underscore Gun and at Access. You see there's going to be links to those socials in the show notes and at my website alibard dot com slash ologies, slash Carobology, as well as a link to Megan's first album and so many links about Carab's history, where to find it and more. Again, check I naturalist to look for the nearest one. Tell me if you eat them, please, I would like to know. I am at Aliboard, at Twitter and on Instagram. Ologies is at Ologies now. Merch is available at ologiesmerch dot com. Thank you to Bonnie Dutch and Shannon Feltis for managing all the merch. They host a comedy podcast called You Are the If you're interested in hearing how Ologies is made, you can check out Renee Colvert's recent episode on her brand new podcast called My Pandemic Makeover Spectacular. She had me on as a guest and she asked me all about life, work balance and quitting your day job. And Renee is just a human delight. I love her, So I'll link to that on my website too. Thank you Aaron Talbert for admitting the Ologies podcast facebook group. Again. If you're looking for a hot date and our single I don't know, join the Facebook group Floortology Singles None of My Business. Thank you Emily White and all the transcribers for making transcripts available and accessible. They are at the link in the show notes for free, alongside bleeped episodes for school use. Thank you Caleb Patten for bleeping. Thank you to Sweet Sweet no All Dilworth for all of the interview scheduling and calendar wrangling. And thank you to assistant editor and fiance and midnight cheerleader Jared Sleeper, who hosts Quarantine Calisthenics every weekday and nine am on Twitch at Jared Underscoresely and of course the locust bean gum that holds this pod together. Lead editor Stephen Ray Morris hosts the podcast Sea Jurassic Right, the per Cast, and now a brand new one, a new Star Wars podcast called Everything But the Movie a Star Wars book Club podcast, and I will link that on my website as well. And if you listen to the credits, I tell you a secret and the secret at The end of this is that I got some carab chips that I've been saving to eat, and I'm not going to make any gross smacking noises because i know nobody wants that, but I am going to try one right now. M dude, this is good. If someone gave it to you and said, try this chocolate, you'd be like, that's kind of whack chocolate. But if you just try it, being like, try this, it tastes like a really nice smoky caramel. Okay, go get yourself some carab for by Pacodermatology, Homeology, crypto zoology, lithology, technology, meteorology, old paratology, napology, seriology, selenology. Their carib bars apear perfectly with car of juice.
Speaker 2: Awesome carab is Nature's charcolate. Do you know what real power is?
Speaker 1: It's knowing you're on the same rate for energy all day, every day. With a smart all day plan from board Gosh Energy, save up to eight hundred and eighty euro on dual fuel plus get a two hundred and thirty five euro welcome bonus switch today at Boardgosh Energy dot I E Board Gosh Energy.
Speaker 2: Know your Power
Speaker 3: Estimating Annual Ability twenty six hundred and twenty nine Your new customers only thirst of percent is kent of smart all day electricity unierates in twenty nine percent of gas US See Poor Gash Energy, dot E for fourties and SIS