Speaker 1: No matter what you do in life, somebody's gonna not like it. There's nothing that you can do that everybody is going to like.
Speaker 2: Does everybody agree with that? You can't make everybody like you.
Speaker 1: So there's nothing you can do that can make everybody like you. So you may as well do the things that God likes rather than the things that other people like because they aren't gonna matter in eternity. If you're gonna suffer, if you're gonna have people who oppose you, if you're gonna have people's disapproval, you may as well have the disapproval for doing the right thing rather than the wrong thing. That's just logic. Because somebody's gonna disagree with you no matter what you do. You can't avoid disapproval. Now we come to the fourth step. And here, this is important. Recognize the source of the opposition.
Speaker 2: And it's Satan. It's not other people.
Speaker 1: It's not co-workers, it's not some other political party, it's not some other nation, it's not some other religion, it's not some competitor, it's not some person who just doesn't like you. The real source of the pressure you feel to cave in, to not have integrity, the pressure you feel to be quiet and to not stand up for what you know is the right thing, that pressure's not coming from other people, it's really coming from Satan. In Revelation chapter 12 verse 10, Satan is called, quote, the accuser of the Christians. That's his job. His number one job is to put you down. Now follow me on this. Satan hates God, obviously. And so he hates anything God has created. And what he hates most of all are God's children. And so Satan hates you. He doesn't just hate God, Satan hates you. You know, you've heard that phrase, God loves you and has a good plan for your life. Well, Satan hates you and has a bad plan for your life. And so he hates you.
Speaker 2: Now, follow me on this.
Speaker 1: Satan wants to hurt God, but he can't. He can't hurt God, but he does have access to you, and he can hurt you. And the quickest way to hurt a parent is to hurt his kids. Quickest way to hurt a mom's heart is to hurt her children. Quickest way to hurt a dad is to hurt his children. And so Satan can't get at God, so what's he wanna do? He wants to get at you. He wants to hurt you. And there is an unseen spiritual battle going all around you, and this pressure to make your life miserable and to make you cave in and to keep you from doing the right thing, it's not coming from other people, really. You gotta look beyond that. They're just pawns. They're just tools. They're just weapons. And a lot of times they don't even know, most of the time they don't even know they're being used. But the real issue is this spiritual warfare. Ephesians 6, 12 says this. We're not fighting against human beings, which is why you don't win this in the ballot box. We're not fighting against human beings, but against wicked spiritual forces.
Speaker 2: In the heavenly realm. Now let me explain this.
Speaker 1: You need to understand that Satan knows it's stupid to attack Jesus Christ directly.
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Because he was the only perfect person who ever lived. How do you attack Jesus? I mean, the savior who taught love and grace and peace and joy and forgive other people and died, gave his life for others, how.
Speaker 2: Do you attack Jesus?
Speaker 1: So he knows rather than attacking Jesus directly, He wants to attack those who follow him. And today he uses the media, and he uses music, and he uses comedies, and he's doing anything he can to ridicule those who follow Jesus. And they say, hey, they're out of date. They're on the wrong side of history. They don't know what they're talking about.
Speaker 2: They're fuddy-duddies.
Speaker 1: They're bigots, and on and on and on. Here's what the Bible says you should do. 2 Timothy 2. Stay away from stupid and senseless arguments. These only lead to trouble. God's servants must never quarrel. Instead, be kind to everyone, including the opposition, and be patient with the opposition, and be humble when you correct people who oppose you.
Speaker 2: They've been trapped by the devil.
Speaker 1: And he makes them obey him, but God may help them escape. Now, what's he saying here? He's saying, those people, they're just pawns. And see, if you don't have the Holy Spirit in your life, you don't have God's power in your life, you have no defense against Satan. He could just whipsaw you this way and that. He can master your moods. He can lead you into depression. He can do all kinds of, he can make you angry. You have no defense against Satan until you've got God's Spirit inside of you. You're not strong enough, sorry, you're just not. And so these people, they're just being used as tools. And what you need to do is recognize a source and treat the opposition the way Jesus did. How did Jesus treat those who opposed him? Even on the cross, he's saying, Father, forgive them. They don't know what they're doing. They don't know what they're doing. That's what it means to be Christlike. they don't know what they're doing. These people who attack me, they don't know what they're doing. The people who attack you, they don't know what they're doing. The people who put down Jesus and church and Christianity, they don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Father, forgive them.
Speaker 1: Now think about this. Jesus was lied to, lied about constantly. You can go make a list of all things they lied about Jesus in the Bible. They said he's a revolutionary here to overthrow Rome and take Pilate's place.
Speaker 2: Wrong. But they used that to get him to the cross.
Speaker 1: They said he's got a demon.
Speaker 3: Wrong.
Speaker 2: At one point they said he's a drunk and a glutton. Wrong. Wrong.
Speaker 1: They said, you know, he's the devil incarnate. Wrong. And how did Jesus respond to all those lies that were told about him?
Speaker 2: Look at the next verse, 1 Peter 2.
Speaker 1: When they hurled their insults at him, Jesus did not retaliate. When he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to God who judges justly.
Speaker 2: Look at this verse on the screen. I love this in the message. It says this. They called him every name in the book, and he said nothing back.
Speaker 1: He suffered in silence, content to let God set things right. This leads us to the fifth thing you need to do when you're under attack. Refuse to retaliate. Refuse to retaliate. You are most like Jesus Christ when you don't strike back at somebody who's hurt you. You're most like Jesus when you don't attack back in somebody who has attacked you with a personal insult or threat or statement.
Speaker 2: Or gossip or whatever.
Speaker 1: In this eighth beatitude, the last one, it says this, let me quote it to you again. Blessed are you when men shall revile you and persecute you and say all manner of evil against you falsely for my sake.
Speaker 2: Rejoice and be exceeding.
Speaker 1: Glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
Speaker 2: That's the eighth beatitude.
Speaker 1: And he says this, you will be insulted, that means people are gonna say names, they're gonna call you names, they're gonna give you labels. You will be insulted, he says that's the first thing, he says you're gonna be persecuted, that means you're mistreated, you may be passed over, you may even be abused.
Speaker 2: And he said, and you're gonna be lied about.
Speaker 1: And he said, people will say all things that are false against you to discredit you, to dishonor you. And I've learned they'll even say them on TV. And he'll do all of these things. The world loves to find fault with Christians. And if they can't find anything to find at fault with you, you know what? They'll make stuff up. They'll just make it up. Now, here's what the Bible says.
Speaker 2: Romans 12. verse 17 and 18. Never pay back evil with more evil. If it is possible, as.
Speaker 1: Far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Now, you know what I love about the Bible? It always tells the truth, and what it tells there is, if it's possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. There's some people you just can't live at peace with. Don't look at them. but you know who they are. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, you try to live at peace with them. Some people you just can't live at peace with. They're just gonna keep poking, poking, poking, poking, poking.
Speaker 2: And he says, and never avenge yourselves.
Speaker 1: Leave that to God who has said, I'll be the judge and I'll take care of that. Now I told you earlier, You don't need anybody's approval to be happy. Let me give you the second great truth that'll change your life. You need to write this down. Anytime I react, I give control to that person. Anytime I react to somebody who's poked me, I give control to that person.
Speaker 2: And you don't want to do that. You don't want to give up control.
Speaker 1: And so you can't control what other people do, but you can control your reactions.
Speaker 4: Thanks for joining us today. You know, we love hearing how Daily Hope is encouraging people. We receive messages all the time from listeners and viewers sharing how their faith has grown through our messages, devotionals and videos.
Speaker 2: Right now, I'd love.
Speaker 4: For you to hear this quick story about how Daily Hope is making a difference in the lives of others just like you.
Speaker 3: Daily Hope's a daily reminder of God speaking to me on whatever subject Pastor Rick is talking about that day, whether it's something that I need to do or something that I need to focus on or just reminders. Sometimes they're just reminders of God's faithfulness to me. And if I don't start my day that way, my day goes right.
Speaker 2: In the dumpster. All the little things of the world just consume me.
Speaker 3: But if I started with Daily Hope and a reminder of where I'm a child of God and where God has me, then I can deal with those things.
Speaker 2: I'm not going.
Speaker 3: Into battle without the tools that I need to win the battle. There's times that Daily Hope just prompts me to read it, and then next thing I'm on the way to work and God's talking to me and I put it on my phone and listen to it going to work. Because sometimes you just need to hear it twice. You need to read it and you need to hear it. And it just settles into me a little bit better. Inevitably, when I get to work, I have three guys that work for me and we get into these discussions and I keep telling them, guys, Pastor Rick was talking about that in Daily Hope this morning. You need to read Daily Hope every day.
Speaker 2: It needs to be part of your life every single day. Would you like to sign up for Pastor Rick's email devotional?
Speaker 3: You can just scan the QR code or go to dailyhopetv.com.
Speaker 1: Have you ever said, you make me so mad? You just then admitted who's in control. Not you, they are.
Speaker 2: When you say, you make me so.
Speaker 1: Mad, you say, I don't wanna be bad. I really don't wanna be mad, but you make me mad. You have the power to control my emotions.
Speaker 2: Oh, really? then you're a pretty weak person if somebody can make you mad. It's your choice.
Speaker 1: You should only get mad when you choose to get mad, and there are some things you should get mad about.
Speaker 2: One of them is not personal insults.
Speaker 1: You make me so mad means I'm allowing you to control my happiness. Anytime you react, anytime you retaliate, anytime you seek revenge, you've just handed control to your enemies. to the person who's opposing you in any area of life. Don't do it. George Washington Carver, that great African American who studied all of the uses of peanuts, he once said, I will never allow another man to control my life by making me hate him.
Speaker 2: Good word, good word.
Speaker 1: 1 Peter 4.19 says this. Those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful creator and continue to do good. Now, there's something really important here. Circle the phrase according to God's will. You're not gonna hear this in some places, but this is what the Bible says. Some suffering is God's will. Those who suffer according to God's will, sometimes suffering is God's will. Now, there are people out there who say, no, God never wants you. God wants everybody to be a millionaire. God wants everybody to have a Rolls Royce. God never wants anybody to have cancer. God never wants any problems in your life. And any problem, no, the Bible says sometimes suffering is God's will for your life.
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: It makes you more like Jesus. It deepens your faith. It brings you rewards in heaven. It builds your character. It brings you closer to him. It teaches you to worry instead of worship. There's so many benefits that suffering can happen. You may be going through suffering right now.
Speaker 2: And it may be God's will. Now, it may not be.
Speaker 1: Let me teach you something. I've never taught this to you before. There are three kinds of suffering in the world. There's common, there's carnal, and there's Christian suffering. Common suffering is suffering that's common to everybody. Doesn't matter if you're a Baptist or Buddhist or Methodist or Mormon, a Jew, a Jehovah's Witness, a Christian, Catholic, atheist, whatever, everybody suffers certain things. When a hurricane comes into town, it just doesn't pick on Christians. It doesn't just pick on Buddhists or Hindus or Jews or Muslims. That's common suffering. It's the suffering that we have in the world that we all share in common with everybody. And the Bible says we as Christians are to help everybody in common suffering. The second kind of suffering is carnal suffering. That's suffering you bring on yourself from your own sins. If I go out and I live a very loose, immoral life, and I get a STD, a sexually transmitted disease, that's my fault. That's not God's fault, it's not anybody else's fault, it's my fault. And a lot of the suffering in my life is because I made bad decisions, like I spent way more money than I made, and now I'm way over in debt, and now I'm going bankrupt. That's not God's fault, that's my fault. That's carnal suffering, it's suffering because of sin. But not all suffering is from sin. The Bible says sometimes suffering is Christian. It's not carnal, it's not common, it's Christian. It's suffering according to the will of God, because God is more interested in your character than your comfort. You're not taking comfort to heaven, but you are taking your character, and in heaven, you're gonna have comfort the rest of your life. Now it says those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to God, the faithful creator, and just keep on doing good. You throw this arrow at me, you throw that arrow at me, you throw another arrow at me. I'm just gonna commit myself to God and continue to do good. I entrusted to God, I lay it in his hands. You need to let God be your defender and not waste time defending yourself. And that takes faith. And when you do that, God smiles. Now, the sixth thing you need to do when you face opposition, and this is the most important one of all, This is what makes Christians different from everybody else on the planet, because nobody else does this. Number six, when I'm persecuted, when I'm harassed, when I'm oppressed, respond with a blessing.
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you return good for evil.
Speaker 1: You not only refuse to retaliate, there are a lot of people who refuse to retaliate, but the Bible says if you're gonna be a follower of Jesus, you actually do good to those who do bad to you. You bless those who hurt you. And he says, you respond with a blessing. Romans 12, 21 says this. Do not become, do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. You don't make the world brighter by blowing out everybody else's candle.
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Do not become overcome evil, but overcome evil with good. Now Jesus gets very, very specific. And I'll just be honest with you. As your pastor, I hate this next verse. I wish this next verse was not in the Bible. I'm just telling you. I don't like this verse. I wish I could take an exacto knife and cut it out because it's so.
Speaker 2: Hard to do. But here's what Jesus said, Luke 6. Love your enemies.
Speaker 1: You gotta be kidding me. Do good to those who hate you. Now it's overkill.
Speaker 2: Bless those who hurt you. Come on.
Speaker 1: Bless those who hurt you. And pray for those who hurt you.
Speaker 2: Come on, Lord. I mean, come on.
Speaker 1: And if someone slaps you on the cheek, turn the other cheek. I wanna be that kind of person for Jesus. I wanna be that courageous. I want to have that brave heart courage where I will not cave in to what's wrong no matter how much pain they throw at me. That I will not retaliate, but what I will do is respond with love. Here's an amazing thing. If you begin to do these six things at work or with somebody who doesn't like you, number one, God will be pleased.
Speaker 2: God's going to smile. That's my girl. That's my boy. Second, you're going to get blessed. It says it over. That's the eighth beatitude. You'll be blessed. And here's an interesting thing.
Speaker 1: Some of those public attackers will become private seekers. I know this from experience. I've had people, very well-known people, attack me publicly. and because I refused to engage them but only responded with love and blessing, and I said, may God richly bless you in every way, that then quietly they would come around and start asking about, what's with you? How do you do that? How do you show love in the face This is not the normal response I was expecting. I just want to remind you that the worst persecutor of the church became the greatest apostle, Paul. And Nicodemus, who was a part of the Pharisees who were trying to put Jesus on the cross, later came Jesus at night and says, tell me about this born again thing.
Speaker 2: And they'll come around. If you respond correctly, some of your.
Speaker 1: Opponents will actually become your partners if you do it correctly. Now let me just close with some personal questions. If they made it illegal to be a Christian in America and they threw everybody who followed Jesus in prison, would there be enough evidence to convict you? Would there be enough evidence to convict you if they made it illegal for being a Christian? Is there any difference in your life? Or are you just wimping out, keeping your head down? When people say insulting things about Christians and you're in that group, do you wimp out and say nothing? Or do you say, you know, I can see how you see it that way, but that's not always true. Do you just wimp out and keep quiet? Let me ask it this way. What is your faith costing you? When your brothers and sisters around the world are sometimes standing at the point of a firing squad for this or getting tortured and limbs cut off and all kinds like that, while it costs so much others their lives, we have it so easy. What is your faith costing you? Let me ask it this way. At what cost would you stay faithful to Christ? Somebody put a pistol to your head? You say, would you stay faithful to Christ?
Speaker 2: Well, yes, I would.
Speaker 1: Then why are you so ticked off and worried about insults? Why is you so worried about disapproval? That's certainly not as harmful as a shot in the head. If you're willing, you're not really willing to live. You're not ready to live until you know what's worth dying for. You gotta decide, what am I willing to lay it on the line for? What is more important to me than even life itself? What is worth buying for? Until you know that, you're not ready to live. Jesus paid a price for you. And he says there's a price to be paid for following him. Popularity on earth is not part of the guarantee of being a Christian, it's not. But reward in heaven is a guarantee. And it was Jim Elliot who said, he is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep for that which he cannot lose. You just gotta decide what's more important to you. Popularity or the smile of God? Now I wanna end with two statements of Jesus. They're here on the screen. Mark 8 verse 38 says this. Jesus said, if you are ashamed of me, And my commands, that means my commands about life, about sexuality, about finances, about reconciliation, about race. If you're ashamed of me and my commands in this godless and sinful generation, I will be ashamed of you when I come back in glory with the holy angels. He also said this in Matthew chapter 10. But, For those who declare publicly that they belong to me, I will do the same for them before my Father in heaven. What we need is an army of brave men and women risk takers. We should not, parents, we should not be depending on Disney to teach our little girls how to be brave.
Speaker 2: Or our little boys or anybody else.
Speaker 1: They should see bravery in their mothers and bravery in their fathers, courage in their moms and dad so when they grow up, they know how to stand for something rather than fall for anything. But it starts with courage in the parents. Let's bow our heads. Would you pray this prayer in your heart? Dear Jesus, I wanna care more about what you think than what other people think of me. I ask you to take away my fear of disapproval. I don't wanna be a weak people pleaser. I wanna be a God pleaser. Take away my fear of rejection. And when I feel that urge to be quiet and not speak up, Help me to not be afraid, to not be embarrassed, to not be ashamed, to not be shocked, but to in love speak the truth. Help me to care more about your approval than anybody else's. Say, dear God, I wanna become a brave man of God or I wanna become a brave woman of God with the courage of my conviction and the integrity of my heart to live for you no matter what. Thank you for having the courage to die for me. Thank you for accepting me into your family. If you've never invited Jesus Christ in your life, say, Jesus Christ, come into my heart and life right now and fill me with your love. Replace my fear with your love. I want to follow you from this day forward.
Speaker 2: In your name I pray.
Speaker 1: Amen.