Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome. It is time now for our community connection right here on Kay one, the one you trust. And today we have our friends in from Tri County Tech. We have Jennifer and we also have Sarah here with us today. And by the way, congratulations because I guess Tri County Tech's educators a bunch of them took home some big awards here recentlyly, so way to go. Good on you there. It just kind of speaks well, it's about the whole school. Now today we're gonna first of all, get into it with Jennifer about the dental hygiene clinic.
Speaker 2: You got some new digs, yes we did.
Speaker 3: We just got newly renovated and we started moving in yesterday.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, so this is kind of like a first day.
Speaker 4: And where is everything exciting?
Speaker 2: I bet it is.
Speaker 1: Now when we talk about the dental hygiene clinic, what what what did students learn here? I mean the basics, the introduction.
Speaker 4: To everything about dental hygiene.
Speaker 3: Yes, they'll have their bachelor's degree in dental hygiene.
Speaker 4: So there it's a two year program.
Speaker 2: Okay, And what what all goes on in there?
Speaker 1: If I were someone saying I'd like to, you know, be a person for one of your students to work on.
Speaker 2: What can we expect? What what services are offered?
Speaker 3: Just like a regular dental office. Really come in and yes, you would get your teeth cleaned. You're the students are supervised by instructors and a dentist.
Speaker 1: Wow, so you get the full treatment, full treatment. Now, Now do you have to be someone with a like a like a special number.
Speaker 3: To be a anybody can come in right, anybody can get their teeth cleaned and we take everybody.
Speaker 2: Wow. So it's just like the real deal.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you, Trick County Tech is very good at mirroring the real world for the students to go out there and really take it on.
Speaker 2: Ahead on wants to get out.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes they do.
Speaker 3: All of our students go and get placed in dental offices.
Speaker 1: Now, if someone wants to become a patient, how do we go about getting into the mix.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a screening process where they would call me and I would make an appointment for them for a screening process where they would fill out some health history paperwork and they would take a brief look at their teeth and classify them and then we would get them assigned to a student just like that.
Speaker 2: Huh, just like that. Oh, my goodness sake, you make it easy.
Speaker 1: But you know something, you also make it a pretty good challenge for the students, getting real world experience in real time.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely is. I mean that's what they want, is the real time experience.
Speaker 2: Oh they do. Now, how long you been with the program?
Speaker 4: I have been there almost sixteen years, you.
Speaker 1: Know, be anywhere sixteen years. But I'll take your word for it. Hey, look at that beautiful smile too. If you're watching on the K one TV and also on Facebook live.
Speaker 2: As she's proved positive, it works, It works all right.
Speaker 4: And I did get my teeth glean there.
Speaker 2: I bet you do.
Speaker 1: Sarah, come on up to the microphone a little bit so we can hear you here. Tell us a little bit about what you got going on here.
Speaker 2: You're in cosmetology, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes.
Speaker 5: And we also have a new salon, and they redid the salon in the classroom and so we have a whole new space for students and four clients.
Speaker 1: Wow, we and another real time real world experience for people.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, they get to come in and get that whole salon experience and students get to practice.
Speaker 1: Now by your youngest daughter, youngest of seven, is now attending Tri County Tech part time while going to school at Bartlesville High School, and she said, guess my, dad, I can get my hair done, I get my teeth cleaned, all right to school. And I said, really, what do you get acause well, I'm going to try to talk to mom and see if I can try something there over there with cosmetology. She says, I think it's really going to be cool, so she'll be making an appointment.
Speaker 2: So see, dad gave the blessing.
Speaker 5: You know, yeah, it's really nice. The high school students are able to come in for three hours. It's a two year program that they're able to do to get their certification for cosmetology and then adults. So we now have it to where they can go in for a year, which is a new, a new opportunity that they have. It used to be a year and a half program for them, but now we've increased our hours to where they can get it completed in a year.
Speaker 1: Now, I understand this works really well for traditional non traditional students. And I understand because I remember a couple of years ago, we had a non traditional lady, I come in from No Water. She was just bringing up first so happy with this this new career field she was getting into.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, it's one of those where people get to express themselves and you know, it's at art and they also get to make a career out of it. So it's something that they're usually very excited to do. And being able to do it in high school is fantastic.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, because you know high schools they see how people who are older then present themselves and it's all about figuring out this, that and the other, and they want to know how it's done.
Speaker 2: And you know, whether.
Speaker 1: It's hygiene, whether it is cosmetology, whether it's anything.
Speaker 2: They all want to know how do you do that? And Trike County Tech is the best platform around for how it gets done. You got to be proud to be out there.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, for sure.
Speaker 2: Oh how long you been with the program.
Speaker 5: So I've only been out there this is my first year, but I did graduate from Tri County whenever I was in high school back in two thousand and eight, and so I've got first hand experience on going out there and then also getting training and doing this as a career since then.
Speaker 2: Understand, the Trick County Tech has quite a record.
Speaker 1: Of what you call comebackers, folks who graduate and then come back and work there.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, while you're out there, you can just tell that it's the place to be and everyone's super friendly and helpful, and so you want to come back.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, what colleges are you affiliated with? As far as with the I Dental Hygiene Clinic or is it all colleges?
Speaker 4: Our students are from ou Oh.
Speaker 1: You okay, so they come back here after their bachelors.
Speaker 4: No, they're completing their bachelors here.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, Well that's rightened me out there, real good. So they're all ready to go by the time they get over there. They got it all down path.
Speaker 4: They're ready to go.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, sakes.
Speaker 1: Well, I tell you what, I don't know how you fit all that knowledge under one roof out there at Trick County Tech. But the programs are so wide and so varied, and they're so applicable for today's world. It's really amazing when you think about what a gem we have in Tri County Tech right here in our own back are good to take care of it.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. Now, we've got the high school students already funneling and they've been there for about a week now, haven't.
Speaker 4: They Yes, Thursday?
Speaker 1: Yeah, since they're yeah, and you know they're they're all puffed up and pretty proud about being there too. Now, when it comes to non traditional students in at Tray County Tech, I understand we have flex hours and things like that that could apply to a variety of different studies.
Speaker 2: Would cosmetology be one of those who would fit in.
Speaker 5: There or you No, but the high school. So it's able to go in for the credits.
Speaker 2: For the high school.
Speaker 1: Okay, I just wanted to make sure on that. But like I said, it's a wonderful opportunity. So if you have a student who's in high school or approaching high school, it's always a good idea to have a little little conversation. Hey, you ever thought about maybe going to school and maybe not walking away with a whole lot of debt. Try County Tech and get that done. You guys got great programs. Your foundation is wonderful.
Speaker 2: Boy.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, the foundation is great.
Speaker 1: And they take care of students to make sure that you know, everything gets taken care of in a timely manner. So when you walk out of there with your certificate or your diploma in hand, you're not carrying this great, big negative balance around with you going, oh, how am I going to repay this? You get it all take you get it taken care of as you go. That is really a wonderful thing. This is a model I wish the larger schools would go by.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't that be great what they could learn from? Try County tag.
Speaker 1: Now, when we get back into the recruiting of patients for the hygiene clinic, can we go on the website? Can we fill out some basic information? There is that a good place.
Speaker 3: Instormation If you would like to get an appointment, there is a place on our website that you can do that. Fill it out and it sends an email to me and I can give you a call to set up.
Speaker 4: There's a point.
Speaker 1: Sweet and same with the cosmetology if you're taking into clients.
Speaker 5: Yes, you can go online and fill out a form for if you want a service and what kind of service you would like you and also call and leave us a message. And we have the phone set up twenty four to seven, so you can leave a message and then we get back a hold of you and find out what time and day works for you.
Speaker 1: Just like that sinse you make you guys make it sound so easy.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: That's why you've been there for sixteen years. You know, you get a good thing and you stay with it. By the way, I understand that sixteen years is kind of about the average because a lot of people go there and stay there.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, it's a great place to work.
Speaker 3: I mean there's people there. I think we just had one that hit thirty wow.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that's it. Take care of us out there.
Speaker 1: You know something, there are a lot of companies that can't say that anymore.
Speaker 2: It used to be the norm.
Speaker 1: Not so much why getting repotted like a plant sometimes every seven years or so.
Speaker 2: But this is great and that kind of stability.
Speaker 1: Parents ought to let you know that your kids are very good hands. And if you're a non traditional student at how to make you just shake off any kind of worry, concern, or a little bit of anxiety you might have had and take that step right in the front door and to.
Speaker 2: Get yourself acquainted with drag County Tech. Have I missed anything?
Speaker 5: I think that's it. We do have more hours in the afternoon now. Yes, we're from twelve until five or it used to be a twelve to three program. Yes for cosmetology, Yes, yeah, for cosmetology. So we have more spots available for appointments now, so a little bit more availability. And so that's a new thing that we're trying this year.
Speaker 2: And what about you for the hygiene.
Speaker 3: We are only we see patients several days a week.
Speaker 4: They vary per per semester.
Speaker 3: So if you call, I can let you know what those times are per day for which day.
Speaker 2: It is all right, very good.
Speaker 1: So everything's just a click or a phone call way, isn't it again?
Speaker 2: So easy? My goodness.
Speaker 1: I want to thank you both for being here with us today and representing Tray County Tech. So well, thank you folks. You've been watching and listening to our community connection on K one, the one