Speaker 1: Just how debilitated it was.
Speaker 2: Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: They were telling us that he was great.
Speaker 2: Clay Travis and Buck Sexton Today at noon on fifty five KRC, the talk station eight o five A fifty five KRSE the Talks Day Shy, Very happy Wednesday to you, Judgentopolitano, bottom of the hour. In the meantime, please welcome back, proudly representing Ohio's second District, Congressman David tail Or. Good you have you back on the fifty five KRC Morning Show.
Speaker 3: Congressman Morning Brian, thanks for having me back on.
Speaker 2: Well, I know you were a yes vote because only to vote to know Davidson and Congressman Massey the one big, beautiful bill. It's got a lot of good in it, I'll have to admit, But what my big concern is I want to bounce it off your head. Uh, it doesn't quite cut enough. We spend an outrageous amount of money and I was hoping that they would. It would represent a much much larger cut from government expenditures over the next decade. Is calculated by the CBO, which we all have a question mark about their calculations. But any anticipation that we're going to get cuts to spending down the road at some point, Congressman, I.
Speaker 3: Certainly hope so Brian, that the Big Beautiful Bill does have one point six trillion plus dollars and cuts, and I agree with you one hundred percent that's not enough. We all like to see the fraud wasting abuse that the Doge found included in this. Unfortunately, to pass the Bird Rule, it has to be mandatory spending under the Big Beautiful Bill, and the DOGE fraud, waste and abuse they found is primarily discretionary spending, so we'll have to do that a different way. It absolutely has to be done, Unfortunately, and frustratingly, it can't be done through this bill. I do think that, as you mentioned already, the CBO scoring is sort of unfair to the bill, and not surprisingly they're historically a little bit biased against Republican legislation. But they're using a growth rate of I think one point six percent, which you leave the calculation that we're going to add a bunch of money to the deficit. I think growth is going to be double that or better. You were all watching in real time the choices of dollars of not just international investment, but American companies investing in on shoring their operations. So I think the numbers are misleading. But I also agree that we need to make deeper cuts to our spending. I think this bill does a pretty good job as a first step on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess I agree with you completely about the opportunity for much much larger prosperity and growth. Businesses have to plan, and if they see tax cuts expiring and they know they're going to get hit with a bigger tax bill, they tend to contract their level of investment. So if the Senate were to move forward with this and at least include whatever that they come up with and memorialize these tax cuts as permanent, I think that creates the reliability that many businesses are looking on and will probably see even more investment.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and there's a lot of encouragement for businesses to do those. Those very things are the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of twenty seventeen is made permanent. Here the one ninety nine a deduction for small businesses not only made permanent, but increase from twenty to twenty three percent, So businesses are getting that benefit. Whereas you know, if this bill wasn't passed, they were looking at a forty seven percent tax rate, which is just going to run an unbelievable number of small businesses completely out of business. The death tax cap is double to making small businesses and farms much more easily transferred from one generation to the next, keeping family businesses and the families crucial. Especially in the second district. We have so many family farms and other family businesses that we want to see protected for generations to come. It allows for you know, one hundred percent expensing and immediate expensing for buildings and structures used in an agricolulture. Overall, they're they're they're estimating about a ten billion dollar reduction in taxes for American farmers overall. So there's a lot of very positive things in this bill. We'll see what kind of version comes back from the Senate, but I'm enthusiastic about it. And you know, as I said, it's just the first step, but it's a good.
Speaker 2: One well and something I think we're all experiencing right now. And you know, I guess you can give credit to the Trump administration. I know we're not paying nearly as much at the at the at the gas pump and I know that as far as domestic energy production is concerned, new oil and gas leasing and energy exploration exploration or part of this bill which might help even more.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, then there's even the opportunity for increased leases in for coal and timber on federal land, which could be a real boon for the Second District. I mean all over the country, but I'm always thinking about the Second District. First, of course, we have the Way National Forest, which it could be could be law responsibly, and many other opportunities for energy production in the Second District especially, I was keen to see the the iory tax credits for wind and solar rolled back Andy or they're actually eliminated. But it was super important for our district that those nuclear credits were not stripped away and those were protected because you know, we have the only American owned uranium enrichment facility in the country, and there's a lot of buzz around that area. Oh, everybody's leaning towards the small modular nuclear reactors, and that could be the epicenter of that. You know, the Second District could get back to being the energy producing capital that it once was.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree with you more and That's one area that I'm really excited about. Small modular reactors. You don't need a giant cooling tower. They're basically cookie cutter in that you can one size fits all. They're not have to be tailor made any specific region. We do have the materials to build them and the opportunity to build them. I had a conversation with I hope next Governor VI vig Ramaswami. He is excited about the exact same thing, making Ohio the energy production capital of the country. And I think that's absolutely achievable. If we can just cut back the regulatory burden and the environmental challenges that seem to stand in the way of us getting literally anything done in this country, man, we could really make a mark in this world.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and that's a focus also this administration. You know, all the neeper requirements for we all want these projects to be done safely, but there's no reason that should take nine or ten years to get these things done. You know, Let's speed up the process, do it safely, do it quickly, and get the benefits roll in for Americans because all these big energy demanding businesses are coming to our area. Honestly, we're getting data centers and things like that that should require massive amounts of energy. It has to come from somewhere, It has to come from all sources in order for us to meet the demand of the future. And when it's real hot or real cold in the second district, we're redlining our ability to produce. And then we've got these big companies coming to our area that are going to demand much more. And the math doesn't work unless we start producing more energy.
Speaker 2: And I know there's a huge demand out there for military hardware and equipment, and we're seen to be behind the eight ball and keeping up with say, the likes of China in terms of, you know, building submarines and ships and the like. But one hundred and forty three billion dollars in additional defense spending, we're up to a trillion dollars. They haven't been able to pass an audit the last eight or so times. And it will doge ever, be unleashed on the Defense Department and look at their spending because something tells me that the money isn't going where it's most needed, and that's those valuable, the war fighting materials that we need to actually engage in our defense and actually to help other countries who are interested in purchasing our defense items.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there. I know there's been discussions of that being one of the their next places to go give a good look to. And no one has any like you said, no one has any big objection to two dollars being spent for our military readiness and especially now, and we have a military or Secretary of Defense that's that's focused on the things that that are Our military is supposed to do as you, as you always put so so eloquently, you kill the enemy and break their stuff exactly. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that, Congressman.
Speaker 3: That's the job of the military, and they're being refocused on that. And there's thirty four billion dollars in the big beautiful bill for ship building, specifically because we're being out built at at a rate that's not even close by China, and you know, in the long run, that's a disadvantage we can't live with. Those dollars have to be spent appropriately, So I certainly hope that the DOGE team takes a good look at that and make sure those dollars are spent effectively. You know, we've got the all the military defense contractors some of the best ones in the world. But we have to make sure the dollars that we send in them are getting one hundred percent value for the taxpayers.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, flet's pause, I'll bring you back be as I know the USA Car Act is part of this. You can let my listeners know about that because I know you were behind that. Plus want to talk to you about Connor's Law, which you announced the introduction of that bill. So let's bring Congressman David Taylor back proudly again representing Ohio's second district. Be right back after these brief words.
Speaker 1: This is fifty five KRC and iHeartRadio Station City Las Vegas.
Speaker 3: Quick chown.
Speaker 2: Mine were with the forecast clouds today high a seventy one, partly cloudie every night fifty six. Sunday tomorrow seventy five for the high. Rain moves in in the evening and remains overnight lease the possibility of it fifty nine. The overnight low Friday of the o high sixty seven with partly cloudy sky's fifty nine. Right now, time for tre from the UCF Trampings Center.
Speaker 3: You see health.
Speaker 1: You'll find comprehensive care. That's so personal. It makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcome, So expect more at u sehealth dot com. Sethbound seventy five better through Westchester, heavier through Lachland, then slow again coming out of the cut to what was an accident into seventy five.
Speaker 3: In earl Linger.
Speaker 1: What Thane is now open again? Northbound continues slow out of Florence into downtown. Chuck ingramon fifty five kr SE the talk station.
Speaker 2: They say seventeen to fifty five KOSD talk station and make that eighty eighteen. Find time to see with Congressman David Taylor talking about the big beautiful bill. And I know it contains the USA car Act, you responsor, I guess Senator Bernie Moreno from Ohio sponsor that you were in favor of. But what does that do for the American people?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Thanks Brian. The credit where credits do? This was Centator Marino's idea, and we loved it. Bills get sponsored on one side or the other and somebody to take it up on the other side. So he sponsored this in the Senate and we are very happy to do so on the House side. What it does is makes your car loan interest deductible if you buy an American car fully deductible and your income taxes, which you know, it does two things. It makes cars more affordable, encourages purchase of American cars, and it creates jobs for great, good paying jobs for American workers. So it's you know, there's no real downside here, and I was glad to see it included in the in the Big Beautiful Bill because as as Congressman Winster Boys said that quoted Ronald Reagan saying, there's no limit to what can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the credits. We just want the good stuff to get done.
Speaker 2: So does this does this a deduction come in spite of the salt deduction or the which I know is gone to forty thousand dollars if you're not itemizing because you don't have enough itemization to reach that level, do you still get to deduct the car interest payment loan on your loan.
Speaker 3: Yes, that was a little bit of a change from the original language. I believe that's going to mean. We don't know the final language of the Big Beautiful Bill honestly, but hopefully the goal on the other side is that you don't have to itemize. You get it either way.
Speaker 2: Okay, So a separate line on the income tax when you're feeling out your income tax.
Speaker 3: Fair enough.
Speaker 2: Now, something I understand you're going to be talking about later today introducing a Bill Conner's Law. And I was not aware that this was a problem, but apparently it is. Commercial drivers CDL drivers license holders can be a bit of a problem out on the roads these days because we have so many not only just illegal immigrants, but folks out there driving around that they don't understand and can't read or speak English, which when I think of road signs, I think that's a red flag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, And it was a there's a President Trump issued in an executive order to that effect, and we're trying to codify that at a law because I mean, that's just a common sense Thing's get this name from a young man who was killed by a distracted truck driver who found not to be able to speak or read English. Can't read a sign that says slow down, accident ahead. You know, those kind of things obviously are unsafe. There's a million different situations where it's unsafe for a driver, especially of a big rig or a big, heavy vehicle of any kind not to be able to read warnings of what's on the road ahead. So I can't imagine this one doesn't have some bipartisan support, and hopefully we'll be able to get it across the finish line soon and make our road safer.
Speaker 2: Well, I got a big question mark floating in my head. I don't know how someone ultimately obtains a CDL permit if they can't speak English. Isn't there reading materials and things of that nature that go along with obtaining one of those.
Speaker 3: Well, like any other program, I'm sure you can get in whatever language you want as far as that goes. But you would think, yeah, there would have been a red flag from the beginning that if you're going to get a CDL you need to be able to read the signs on the road. Apparently that slipped through the cracks.
Speaker 2: Apparently it's a hazard for all of us out there, especially people like me who do ride motorcycles. Right, it'svang out from a size perspective. All right, Well, I guess I'm asking to read Tee Lee's Congressman David Taylor. But the Senate's going to have its way with it. I know Ran Paul came out over the debt ceiling increase and said he would never vote for something to had the increase as large as it is. I know some other Senators have expressed some concern they want more cuts. Any sense of where this is going to go? And I guess your reaction to if they do, you know, lower the debt ceiling increase or lower the salt deduction from forty grand where it is now in the BBB to something where it was like ten thousand? Will you lose House members who would reject it out of hand for those types of changes.
Speaker 3: Well, first, let me say I'm all for you know, there's obviously, as we know, more room for spending cuts, responsible spending cuts that don't hurt people who benefit from you know, needed programs like Medicare, Medicaid snap. We don't want our safety net. We caned and we can make a lot more spending cuts without doing that. That being said, we as you know, as the one vote margin to pass the big beautiful bill. So we threaded the need a little bit. Any real big change is going to make it tough when we go to conference. So now the President Trump encouraged the Senate to make changes and yeah, the boss. So I hope they may make good changes that we can all live with. And because there's so much good in this bill, the last thing I want to see happen is nothing right.
Speaker 2: Well true, Listen, everybody's got to go campaign and even the folks in New York, New Jersey and California push for the increase in salt. If they say no because of changes to that, for example, then they're the ones that have to answer their their voters and the constituents that well, because of them, we didn't get the permanent tax cuts and Ryan, which you are going to cause this economy to take off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to me, the salt issue is the tail that's wagging the dog. You know, it's it's, it's it's it affects very few parts of the country, but it's it is by proxy affecting everybody because it's it's you know, it's holding up so much good progress for you know, every expaying American family, every American family period. If we if we ultimately don't get us across the line because of uh, the salt situation, that will be extremely disappointed.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll look forward to legislation and shrining the DOGE cutbacks into law, and I hope you engage in efforts to get DOGE over the Department of Defense and start rifling through their records to figure out where that money is going, because I don't know. The fact that they weren't able to pass an audit like eight times in a row is troubling to me given the level of money that we send over there. Congressman David Taylor, thank you so much for your time today, and you're that you spent with my listeners of me this morning. I wish you best of luck and keep up the good fight.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Brian. Good to be with you.
Speaker 2: To take care, my pleasure, my pleasure, A twenty four fast approaching, a twenty five fast approaching judge, and an Apolitana word or two about punishing freedom First Amendment this morning with the wonderful Judge Napolotana.
Speaker 3: He'll be next.
Speaker 2: I hope you can stick around. Fifty five KRC, the talk station