Speaker 1: Hudson River Radio dot Com.
Speaker 2: All right, I'd like to thank our sponsor, the US Postal Service. When you want something expensive thrown on your porch and stolen, you want the US Postal Service.
Speaker 3: How does Sasa Jonnifer Leaesberry juice?
Speaker 4: Hey, this is Tom Chapin.
Speaker 5: Hello, this is preaching in Rock and Roll History Show.
Speaker 6: You're listening right now.
Speaker 4: Hey, everyone, welcome to the Rock and Roll History Show. I'm Barbara Deal, host of Shaving Cream, taking the reins from Bryan Horowitz tonight for part two of our insanity theme. So before we get started, I'd like to introduce all the cranbones that are joining us tonight and any of the crambones that have been to my house for sator already know are really terrible at this, so don't stop me if you've heard these before, and pretend you didn't keep it to yourself.
Speaker 1: First and foremost, from the Richter Observatory. He used to hate.
Speaker 4: Facial hair, but it grew on him.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, like crazy Eddie. My facial hair.
Speaker 7: Is insane, awesome.
Speaker 3: For all you, for all your youngsters, just yeah, google it.
Speaker 5: Oh, crazy Eddie is such a story in itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 7: That's true.
Speaker 1: The host of Van Noorma of Yours.
Speaker 4: She once saw a burglary at an apple store and became an eyewitness. Yl Nukam is here.
Speaker 8: I love it, I love it.
Speaker 7: Good stuff, Barbara, Hello everyone, The host of the Silver Screen.
Speaker 1: She nearly walked into a bar, but she ducked just in time for.
Speaker 4: Sing here.
Speaker 9: Damn it, Hey, everybody.
Speaker 1: And last, but certainly not least.
Speaker 4: He knows a lot of jokes about retired people, but none of them work.
Speaker 1: Ryan hark.
Speaker 7: Nice, nice, nicely done, good ones. Barbara.
Speaker 4: Okay, so last week we presented part one of Songs about Insanity. Tonight we present part two. Yeah you're gonna lead us up.
Speaker 7: Okay. I learned something like I usually do when I was doing the research for this, because I chose a song called Crazy by NARLS Barkley. I thought Narls Barkley was a stage name of one person, but no, it's actually a duo composed of singer songwriter Cel Green and producer Brian Joseph Burton, better known by his stage name Danger Mouse. Oh yeah, I know right. They were at least their debut studio album, Saint Elsewhere, which is what You Know. The hit single Crazy is from in two thousand and six. It peaked at number two on the US Hot one hundred and it topped the UK Singles chart. It was nominated at the two thousand and seven Grammy Awards for Record of the Year and was platinum certified for shipping over a million records. It also received a nomination for Album of the Year. Supposedly the name behind Narls Barkley does not have any kind of story of it, but supposedly they just picked it out of nowhere. But I'm kind of suspicious of that.
Speaker 3: Well, isn't Charles Barkley, Who's like a.
Speaker 7: That's what That's what is suspected, but for some reason they won't cop to it. I don't know why. I need to watch some of their videos, apparently because well hopefully some of these are on video. Each live performance is an opportunity that they take to play dress up as tennis players, astronauts and chefs and other get ups. They sound like a lot of fun. I would love to do something like that.
Speaker 1: Ooh cosplay.
Speaker 7: Yes, the costuming extends to photo shoots, as Burton and Celo would rather impersonate characters from such films as Back to the Future or Wayne's World. Apparently, they have also dressed up as characters from a Clockwork Orange, a Napoleon Dynamite, what arrange. I need to look up some of their videos really.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 7: When they recorded this, there's an interview with journalists Just Steven and he asked, both guys, is it true that Celo recorded the vocals for Crazy in just one take? So Dane tram Else replied, yeah, he had the words written on paper and what you hear on the album was the first time he ever tried singing it. He went in and gave it a shot, really just to see what it would sound like, and we kept it because it sounded great. And when you hear the song, you will hear Yes, it sounds great. I can't believe they just did it for the first time and it turned out wonderful. They did it in one take, which is kind of amazing. They performed that song on their television debut on Late Night with Conan O'Brien on May twenty fourth. Now at the MTV Movie Awards two thousand and six. On June eighth, two thousand and six, they performed along with Christina Aguilera, a f I, and wolf Mother. They were dressed as characters from the film series Star Wars, Rebel Alliance pilots, Imperial Officers, Stormtroopers, Shoebaka Djago fat Obi Wan, with ce Lo Green singing as an unmasked Darth Vader. That sounds like a lot of fun. Let's give it a listen and then I'll have a little bit more info after the song.
Speaker 5: I remember when I remember, I remember when I lost my man.
Speaker 3: Either your emotions.
Speaker 5: Out an echo and so my space and when you oh there with out there. Yeah, but it wasn't.
Speaker 1: That just new too?
Speaker 6: Who knowledge? Does that make me craze? Does that make me cry? Does that make me cry?
Speaker 10: So?
Speaker 6: And have in your time of your life?
Speaker 1: But they TWI.
Speaker 5: That's my only advises.
Speaker 10: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Come on now, who do you?
Speaker 6: Who do you?
Speaker 4: Who do you?
Speaker 1: Who do you think you are?
Speaker 3: That's your soul?
Speaker 5: You really think you're in control?
Speaker 6: Well, I make your craze, I make your dis I make your case.
Speaker 1: She's like.
Speaker 6: My little at the heart to the line.
Speaker 5: I full, it's all I remember, just thinking it's gonna be like.
Speaker 3: M never since I was little, never since.
Speaker 5: I was little, and looked like, Mom, it's a whole coinsistence.
Speaker 6: I'm come.
Speaker 1: And I can die when I'm dumb, but maybe I'm crazy.
Speaker 6: Maybe maybe a case.
Speaker 7: Pretty good for the first take, if I do say so myself, Yeah you're prob.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you know sometimes sometimes that happens. They catch lightning in a bottle like that, and the first take is like the best one they get, even if they even like if it's just a warm up. I think the artists they're a little more relaxed. Well, well, this isn't what's going on. You know, this isn't going.
Speaker 7: On the record, So they just do it and have fun, and.
Speaker 3: That ends up being the best take. So that wouldn't have been the first time. There's there's a number of instances where where that's happened. But and it helps to have, you know, an insane amount of talent exactly and have a voice like that.
Speaker 7: So, I mean, I love it's got a nice bassline, it's just really smooth, got a nice soul kind of vibe. I just love it. What's funny to me is the song itself was inspired by film scores of spaghetti westerns, particularly the works of Ennio Morricone. Really yeah, and yet the song Last Man Standing by Jean Piero rever Beri and Gianfranco rever Beri from the nineteen sixty eight spaghetti western Django Prepare a Coffin, which was apparently an unofficial prequel to Jiango Crazy, samples that song and also uses parts of the main melody and chords structure. So because of that, the river Berries are create credited as songwriters, along with Celo Green and Danger Mouse. That's doing it the right way. The lyrics apparently developed out of a conversation between Danger Mouse and Celo Green talking about going They went off on some kind of tangent about how people won't take an artist seriously unless they're insane. So they started talking about ways that they could make people think that they were crazy. I could think of a whole bunch that would be really fun, but that's another story. Celo took that conversation and made it into Crazy, which, as I mentioned, was recorded in one take. I love the song, It's just I like it a lot.
Speaker 4: All right, Thank you very much, Gail. That was an awesome leadoff.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 4: We have to we have to take a quick break, so stay tuned for more. Rock and Roll History Show on Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 5: Hudson Riverradio dot com.
Speaker 10: We always put the seat down.
Speaker 7: This concludes the first part of this cassette.
Speaker 9: Please turn the cassette over and begin again on side too, Hudson Radio dot com. Onso Nicer Hop, We can't stop.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to the rock and Roll History Show on Hudson River Radio dot com. This is Barbaraville, a host of shaving, Cream, Filling and for Brian Horowitz Tonight sharing in all the craziness. Tonight's show is part two of our insanity theme. So last week we heard They're Coming to Take Me Away by Jerry Samuels aka Napoleon the Fourteenth, which he chose because he liked the way the Roman numerals looked together.
Speaker 7: Why not?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 3: Right? Right?
Speaker 4: We heard last week about his bio and some other fun facts. But did you know that Jerry Samuels recorded a sequel song called They're Coming to Get Me Again? So in regard to They're Coming to take Me Away, uh huh, Samuels is quoted as saying, the first and only time I sang the song in front of a live audience, I felt like I was being laughed at.
Speaker 1: That was very hard for me to take. So there you have it.
Speaker 9: Uh wait, it's a funny song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I was Isn't that like a compliment?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I was a little disturbed when I read that, because I kind of don't know what was going.
Speaker 1: Through his mind.
Speaker 3: If it was as serious from the heart song and people laughed, yeah, then I think I'd go, you know, consider a different career. But a comedy song and people laugh, that's kind of the point, right, I don't see the problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But now did he really mean it to be a comedy song?
Speaker 1: So now there's the question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so maybe he was really upset about his dog.
Speaker 1: Who knows.
Speaker 4: So. After the success of their Coming to Take Me Away, Uh huh, Samuels had no luck trying to follow it with the second album. He eventually dropped out of the recording industry and made a living selling custom made roach clips and other paraphernalia. In the mid nineteen seventies, he moved to Philadelphia and began playing in piano bars. By the nineteen eighties, he felt he had found his true calling, playing and singing in nursing homes.
Speaker 7: Oh boy, oh boy, it all comes.
Speaker 3: It all comes full circle.
Speaker 7: Then oh boy.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, So whether those people laughed at him, I have no idea. By the nineteen eighties, he felt he had found his true calling playing in nursing homes, and by nineteen eighty six, Rhino Records re released the now out of print album They're Coming to Take Me Away in honor of its twentieth anniversary. Some ten years later, Rhino Records released a CD called This Second Coming. It included all the tracks from Samuel's first album, along with some other tracks he recorded that had previously failed to make it onto a second album. Included on the album was a sequel to Their Coming to Take Me Away called They're Coming to Get Me Again. So let's revisit the madness and enjoy this insane sequel.
Speaker 2: Remember when they took me to the Funny Farm for acting like a lunatic because you ran away? Well that was me years ago, and now at last they've let me out. I finally made them think I'm perfectly sane. But they're coming to get me again.
Speaker 11: Ha, They're coming to take me away again.
Speaker 12: He oh, to the looney bin where life was ludicrous all the time and I'm just crazy. About those big strong cools with their clean lighting len because they're coming to get me again.
Speaker 11: I thought you were my friend, and so I trusted you, believed in you the day you swore you'd always be my pet. Bah, I trusted you.
Speaker 3: You know, I did.
Speaker 2: I did, I really did.
Speaker 11: But then you did and I'm not really totally cure. So they're coming to get me again.
Speaker 3: Haha.
Speaker 11: They're going to put me away again in the rubber room with pleas and.
Speaker 13: Towers and perfect nerves and simple bluppers who sweat and sneer and swiggle and squeeze and squirt, and they're coming to get me again.
Speaker 11: I scrubbed your toes, I cleaned your cage, but all you ever did was pay me back with cruel, unloving, selfish deeds. Yes, well now I'm free, So just you wait. I'll find you soon, and when I do, I'll swing you by your tail, you hairy, And they're coming to get me again. They're coming to take me away again, Oh to.
Speaker 13: The looney bin.
Speaker 12: Well, life was ludicrous all the time, and I'm just crazy and have the big strong goons with.
Speaker 10: Their clean white lips, because they're coming to get me.
Speaker 13: Ahead to the pleas there's towers of purping nerves and simple coppers who sweat and slear and squiggle and squeeze and squirk, and they're coming to get me again.
Speaker 12: To the looney bin where life was ludicrous all the time.
Speaker 1: And I'm just crazy about those big strong.
Speaker 12: Coons with their queen white necks, because they're coming to get me again.
Speaker 1: To the happy home with.
Speaker 13: Trees and flowers and chirping and birds and skidding.
Speaker 12: When life was beautiful all the time.
Speaker 1: Fawn, all right.
Speaker 4: So this song did get some airplay on the Doctor Demento show in the eighties and nineties as it had been released as a single, even though Samuel just couldn't get that second album going, and despite the airplay on Doctor Demento, the song failed to chart. Unlike the original, They're coming to take me away.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: The first one, you know, he does sound like he's, you know, kind of having fun. This one he sounds a lot more dark, serious about it, like like maybe he wasn't kidding and maybe they should. You know, now he sounds criminally insane.
Speaker 9: Let's plus, they're putting him away with pimple poppers.
Speaker 3: They put it, they put it over the top.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, same.
Speaker 4: Well the thing is, now now that we've got this, this second song, he's already been to the Funny Farm, and all that stuff that happened to him while he was there has somehow colored his view, if you will, So when he follows up with this one, it's a whole different mood.
Speaker 3: Well, don't don't. Don't they say that, you know, when they put people in prison, they just come out like better criminals. Well maybe when they put somebody away like him into the Funny Farm, when they get out, they're just more insane.
Speaker 1: He's a better psycho, better.
Speaker 4: Psycho if they don't take their meds or anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 7: I thought that was great.
Speaker 4: I was actually very surprised to find out when I was not for this show. But you know, when I was looking into all this stuff for my show, I was surprised that there was you know, follow ups, no idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm trying to.
Speaker 3: I may have heard it at some point, like like you said, on a Doctor Demento episode or not, but I really wasn't familiar with it. So I was I was hearing it with new you know, fresh ears, and I was like Wow, that is kind of he means business now, that's right, all right?
Speaker 1: Anybody have anything else to add? All right? Moving along? Thank you? That was perfect all right?
Speaker 4: So I wanted to mention that also included on the album The Second Coming as a song called I'm Happy They Took You Away?
Speaker 7: Is that from the dog's point of view?
Speaker 1: That might have been by.
Speaker 4: A voiceover actress named Brina Rayburn who was born in Jersey City on March fourteenth, nineteen fifteen, who called herself Josephine the fifteenth. She was a big fan of radio and was an expert in speaking in a variety of accents. She frequently guested on NBC's Dimension X and the CBS radio Mystery Theater. She also performed in four films and recorded educational records, and although included on the Second Coming album, I'm Happy They Took You Away, was originally recorded as the closing track on Side too of the original nineteen sixty sixth album, and as such, I believe it's also the perfect way to close out Tonight's show. So let's continue our downward spiral into madness.
Speaker 14: Remember when I ran away and you got on your knees and begged me not to leave because you build the sack. Wait, you thought you had me fooled, But I just led.
Speaker 10: You anyhow, because I know you were already out of your mind.
Speaker 14: And I'm happy they.
Speaker 1: Took you away.
Speaker 10: Ha ha, I'm happy they took you away, kid, to be fully bound when life systemics all the time.
Speaker 3: And you'll be sorry, I.
Speaker 10: Said, those nice young name in the tree, right.
Speaker 14: Honey, rock, I thought that you were nuts, and so I laughed. I laughed when you had said that losing me would make you flick your lip.
Speaker 1: Right, It's true. I laughed.
Speaker 12: You heard me laugh. I laughed.
Speaker 10: I laughed and laughed, and then I.
Speaker 14: Laughed because I know you're upply mad and I'm happy they took you away.
Speaker 10: Ha ha, I'm happy they took you away. Hold ha, did they happy home with trees and towers and chaffing birds?
Speaker 14: Can ask it me nots to.
Speaker 10: Sleep and smell and threw them their throppy.
Speaker 11: They trot you around, You.
Speaker 1: Burned my food, you waked my house, and this.
Speaker 6: Is how I paid you for all your pool.
Speaker 14: And loving selfish deeds. Yeah, they've got you now, and you will get just what you'll deserve for calling.
Speaker 3: Me and much.
Speaker 10: You mean, you mon, I'm happy they took you away. I'm happy they took you away. Did do they plenty found where lives. He's character all different and you'll be sorry, I said, those nice young men and that couldn't like.
Speaker 4: To the happy hold who's pleased and flowers. I'm chopping doves and just give meet us.
Speaker 3: Who sit and smile and hidden their puns.
Speaker 6: And come they took your home.
Speaker 10: Give me funny found where life's systemic and all all right?
Speaker 1: As you may have guessed.
Speaker 4: Rina Rayburn chose the name Josephine the fifteenth because she believed it to be a perfect counterpart to Jerry Samuel's Napoleon the fourteenth.
Speaker 3: That was brutal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the colors, I feel like they didn't.
Speaker 9: He didn't record the like the the tuning went up and down. Whatever you were talking about before.
Speaker 3: Oh it did a little bit.
Speaker 6: Theatre is different, Yeah, yeah, the temples a little faster.
Speaker 5: It's a shorter cut too, so they changed it around.
Speaker 3: It sort of sounded like Lisa Douglass from Green Acres.
Speaker 4: This has been a film's presentation.
Speaker 9: Nobody, nobody knows what we're talking about.
Speaker 7: I was just about to tell how old we.
Speaker 3: All are Green Acres Google it is? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think it was a French poodle. I'm going with I'm going with a French poodle.
Speaker 9: I think so too.
Speaker 7: I think that's why did I think she sounded German?
Speaker 4: You know she did a little at first think you know, Napoleon Josephine France.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that makes sense. But yeah, maybe a French poodle mixed with a German shepherd or what what are they? What are they? The Russian bloodhounds? You know a little a little Natasha.
Speaker 4: From Russian wolf So that's so that's how they become a mangie mutt.
Speaker 7: We mixed the international Heinz fifty seven.
Speaker 3: You're the dog expert. What what what is.
Speaker 7: The Russian Russian wolfhounds?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 7: But they don't call them that anymore because there was controversy years ago, uh, with the Cold War and everything so that they called them Zoy the Beautifuloy.
Speaker 9: Never never heard that either. You know, I didn't like that song as much as the one that you played before it and as much as the original one. But I really admire his persistence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it as it's a trilogy it's a trilogy. I have to have that.
Speaker 4: Most movie sequel too, Like, yeah, people, I really I really appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really do.
Speaker 1: With a few exceptions.
Speaker 4: You know, usually the sequels are not as good as usually right, and.
Speaker 9: The third ones it don't even bother so direct to video.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right.
Speaker 4: Actually, when I was researching her, uh, Brenda Rayburn's discography, there was one thing that I saw that caught my nerdy little eye, and that was that one of the things that she recorded was an audio version of the nineteen sixty book A Wrinkle in Time, Oh my gosh, which is my favorite favorite book of all time.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 4: I've read it over and over since the age of eight. I still have my original copy, and I didn't even find out until I was in like my forties that there were sequels to the book that I eventually, you know, borrowed from the library and read. Another thing that caught my eye, which is even nerdier, was that on this nineteen seventy two recording of A Wrinkle in Time, another voice actress was coryn or or R, who's a Canadian actress, and I recognized her name because she voiced Tricksie on the original speed racer cartoons.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, being the big wow that I have that I am. I totally gigged out overseeing these details. And I actually got to talk to corn Or once on the phone at one of my old jobs.
Speaker 1: But I couldn't went on that.
Speaker 4: I knew who she was and I had a professional and polite but there you have it with that, all right?
Speaker 1: So that's all I got. Does anybody have anything else to add?
Speaker 3: I feel like I need a vacation.
Speaker 9: Do we all do an?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: On?
Speaker 1: Three? Sure?
Speaker 9: One two three?
Speaker 7: Oh London?
Speaker 3: Right, Howling at the moon, Helen at the Moon?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: And with that, I think it's time to pull the plug on this insane episode of The Rock and Roll History Show. Please subscribe to the podcast on your favorite podcast platform, and thanks for tuning in. We'll be back next week with another informative and fun episode. Until then, thanks to my fellow Crambones, and thanks to all you listeners. I hope you had as much fun as I did.
Speaker 8: Good Night, rock cop Bottom, cram Okay thee bye
Speaker 6: Hudson River Radio dot Com A Subsidiaria Placier Entertainment ll see potentially successful to multi hundred dollars corporation US