Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Nintendo Switch Too is hitting shelves June fifth, Keana.
Speaker 2: Are you a Nintendo Switch person or is that? Do I have that wrong?
Speaker 3: I am a Nintendo Switch person.
Speaker 2: Are you excited about the two?
Speaker 4: I am because I have like the first generation one, so it's very old and my controllers don't work anymore and I don't want to fork over one hundred dollars?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: Are you going to get the version that comes with the Mario Kart World?
Speaker 4: Okay, so during the show, I was looking up the prices.
Speaker 6: Oh to be working.
Speaker 3: I thought, you guys your stuff.
Speaker 4: But I saw that and I looked it up and it's like five hundred dollars or four hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 2: Without the game exactly, and.
Speaker 4: I was like, at that point, you might as well get it with the Mario Kart game. So I don't I don't know what I'm gonna do yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you have to like get the game, and I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll probably just get to get.
Speaker 1: The one with the game in it. I would say, yeah, because the game will cost you probably like a couple extra dollars, like six extra dollars, and then tax and all of that, and then you've got to put the game in.
Speaker 2: It's a whole thing.
Speaker 4: There are games usually like average about seventy dollars, especially for the Mario games, the Super Mario games, like seventy dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So are you excited about the joycon controller that attaches to the screen.
Speaker 4: Not real, Like, that's not why I'm gonna get the new Nintendo Switch. I'm mainly gonna get it because my for the screen. Yeah, the screen I have because it's first generation. It is so small. It's like when you have the Nintendo DS or the original game Boy. It's so tiny, and now it's evolved into something really cool. That's why I would get it. But I don't care about the joy cons. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yes, it does.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that we have somebody that speaks so long, Gerry, just glow.
Speaker 7: I had a PlayStation two. That's like where I left off. I never did. I never advanced past that.
Speaker 2: You had a game Boy though, right.
Speaker 6: I did not. I never did, never had a game.
Speaker 4: Boy We have the PlayStation five, xbox X, I have the Nintendo Switch. We have pretty much all of the consoles.
Speaker 6: You guys don't ever have to talk to each other. That makes me a happy marriage.
Speaker 3: Right, not really.
Speaker 7: Storm system rolling in is expected to bring some rain, some gusty winds, maybe even a couple of thunderstorms tomorrow. National Weather Service said the rain totals will be small, low, little, if you will, less than an inch, sorry, less than a third of an inch in most areas. But they're saying the threat of thunderstorms could bring at least an outside chance of some pretty heavy downpours. Sometimes we see those thunderstorm around here. We also see some hail, so keep an eye on that.
Speaker 1: Jen mentioned that there is a good Val Kilmer documentary on Amazon Prime called Val came out in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 6: Loved it.
Speaker 2: I didn't see it. I was just going to check out the trailer.
Speaker 1: We'll be talking about Val Kilmer dead sixty five years old, pneumonia. Last time we left him, he had throat cancer. Correct, yep, yeah, but wow, it's only sixty five years old. We'll talk about when we come back.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Celebs celebrating for one thousand dollars This God's Plan. Rapper had his first Bob Mitzvah at an Italian restaurant basement. His redo at age thirty one, had an a list guest list.
Speaker 6: Who was Drake?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it was the real name. I didn't know that he was Jewish? Yeah, huh and Canadian?
Speaker 6: Well that's obvious, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I mean, why would I know that? I don't know. Why would I know? I don't know.
Speaker 6: I didn't think you had it in you.
Speaker 2: I'm a huckle but I'm going a huckle that rack?
Speaker 4: Why Johnny Lingo, he looked.
Speaker 2: Like somebody just walked over your grave.
Speaker 6: Fight's not with you Holiday? How big the differ, sir?
Speaker 3: We started the game, we never got to finish.
Speaker 6: Play for Blood.
Speaker 7: Remember Val Kilmer died Tombstone as doc Holiday legendary. Even if it's not an Oscar winning performance, it's one of those legendary did win I don't know, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: God, that was incredible, one of those roles that you just masterful, the way that he handled that. Died yesterday pneumonia. He had been diagnosed with throat cancer in twenty fourteen. That documentary I was talking about came out full of years after that, twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: It's called Valads on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 1: He studied acting at the Juilliard School, had his big break in nineteen eighty four, and that spy spoof Top Secret.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of, I've not seen that, I have not funny.
Speaker 1: Often seen or regarded as a difficult presence, he once said that he's almost been fired from all of his movies, that he frustrated directors that they knew the headaches were ultimately worth it. They said that he was forever fighting against the simplest way of being in movies, whether in self proclaimed fluff like Top Secret or in more dramatic, meaningful fair like Tombstone.
Speaker 6: He was the hero main character in Willow I Really Scared.
Speaker 5: No, don't don't. There's a pet here with an acorn.
Speaker 7: Play it at me. He played amaze. If you think about how he had to do Jim Morrison in the Doors from Oliver Stone.
Speaker 3: Let's Swim to the.
Speaker 6: Let's Climb through the Time, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 7: It seemed that performance was a lot like Timothy Shallomey as Bob Dylan. They didn't really you didn't really have to stretch a whole lot and can sing.
Speaker 1: So I first saw him in Top Gun as a kid and kind of just typecasted him in my mind as just iceman, which he played so effortlessly. It came across as an effortless role of just pretty.
Speaker 2: Boy kind of a thing.
Speaker 1: So that when I saw him in later things like Tombstone or what have you, was like, Wow, he can act.
Speaker 6: He's got a lot of chops on him. You guys really are cowboys.
Speaker 7: What's your problem?
Speaker 1: Because as you're.
Speaker 2: Everyone's problem, you're dangerous.
Speaker 7: He said he didn't want that part, by the way, really yeah, he said, He wrote in his book I'm Your Huckleberry. This is about five years ago. He said, I didn't care about the film Top Gun. The story didn't interest me. Said he was surprised when he got He said, I read the lines indifferently, and yet amazingly I was told I had the part. I felt more deflated than inflated.
Speaker 1: Interesting, he I mean, actors though, they say thanks for that, don't they. He declined a role in The Outsiders, which was another great, great film.
Speaker 2: He was supposed to be pony Boy. I think yeah, great role.
Speaker 7: He was in Heat with De Niro and Al Pacino, John Voyd and Tom Sizemore from back in nineteen ninety five. He said, well, Michael Mann co directed Heat. He said, while working with val On Heat, I always marveled at the range, the brilliant variability within the powerful current of vows, possessing an expressing character. So many years of vow battling disease and maintaining his spirit. This is tremendously sad news, of course, of his passing.
Speaker 1: Lifelong Christian scientist upon his throat cancer diagnosis, referred it in as the suggestion of throat cancer, but did go through the suggested chemo despite it being conventionally against his religion.
Speaker 7: He had relationships with Cindy Crawford Share back in the Day, Share Angelina, Jolie, Daryl Hannah. He said that they dated in nineteen or in two thousand and one, he said, I know I would love her. This is Daryl Hannah with my whole heart forever, and that love has lost none of its strength. I am still in love with Daryl again. He wrote that in twenty twenty Wow, they dated twenty years before that. Wow, he did say that Cher did help take care of him when he got sick. Share to People Magazine in twenty twenty one, he was at my house a lot of the time. He was brave the whole time, and I saw how sick he was. The documentary that you mentioned about him was pretty amazing. It's on Amazon Amazon Prime and it's called Val. There was some discussion I remember when we talked about it when it came out. What were they going to do with his voice because he had lost I mean, I don't know, he didn't lose his entire voice, but it was very hard to understand what he was saying because of the throat cancer and the operations that had affected what's left of his voice box basically, so he had a hard time communicating and it would have been hard to hear him narrate it. So his son narrates the documentary footage in the first person and talks about I was the first person in Hollywood to have a camera. I was the first person to do this, or this is what happened.
Speaker 6: When I was on this movie.
Speaker 7: And it's his son's voice has just enough Val Kilmer in it, Yes, and it's young.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's really bizarre.
Speaker 7: And there were some people who thought at first that it was that it was Ai generated voice.
Speaker 1: Well, when I was just watching the trailer and it didn't occur to him. It just sounded like Val Kilmer to me because I think of young Val Kilmer. And then you said his son is narrating it. I go, oh, yeah, I mean it sounds just like him young, So it's kind of like how he is in your mind, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: The last movie he did, apparently was a movie with his daughter, and.
Speaker 6: It's one of those.
Speaker 7: It would be really really sad to see pay Dirt, I guess was the last movie that came out, I think. But Top Gun Maverick obviously in twenty twenty two was an awful, awful It.
Speaker 6: Was a heartbreaking scene.
Speaker 7: It was between the two of them, between Val Kilmer and Tom Cruise. It was and in the interviews that Tom Cruise did after that movie, he just heaped praise on Val Kilmer for being involved, for staying involved. A lot of the people who worked on that movie said that val Kilmer was on the scene, was on the set all the time, even though he really was only in the movie for a couple of minutes. Yeah, but his presence was there because he cared so much about the people that were putting that fund together.
Speaker 2: So I'm sad now.
Speaker 6: He also, I didn't realize this.
Speaker 7: He played the voice of night Rider in the reboot that came out. When night Rider came back out in two thousand and nine or ten or something like that, he was the voice of Kit.
Speaker 2: Don't you wish your car talk to you?
Speaker 1: I think that'd be kind of nice in that way if it was Kit, Like that was a great personality for a car.
Speaker 6: Because he was snarky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wouldn't that just essentially be a.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm ready for it. Oh my car to talk to me. I mean, you could sit there and swear with it about other idiot drivers? Can you believe this?
Speaker 1: Mf or? And the car'd be like, seriously, and who drives a Tesla? Right?
Speaker 7: And then the car would be like, but you better watch yourself, sister.
Speaker 2: I want my.
Speaker 1: Truck to be like, we could f that guy up? You want to f that guy up? And I'd be like, yeah, let's go. And Tesla weighs more than your truck, though, I'm sure, yeah, but does it have the balls? Does it have the testicular fortitude. You wouldn't be able to catch up to a test that my truck has. I wouldn't need to why, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's just what my truck said to tell me. To tell you a grappling hook in that thing. Now you're shoot off the front. It's bark is bigger than its bite.
Speaker 7: All of our stories that we've been watching on the TVs coming up next, it's what you're watching.
Speaker 2: Well, then the spectrum is back.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Not all Jebbils are Jubilee, got I guess, but all Jubilees are Jubilee.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, true story. It's time for what you're watching Wednesday.
Speaker 6: Following program is brought to you in living color.
Speaker 2: But you're watching in there. America's Love Television.
Speaker 6: They win their kids place USA Television, Manchameta, you've.
Speaker 8: Been watching too many of those live television shows.
Speaker 7: The Angels game has been on. That's what we're watching here in the studio, among other things. And if they go to extra innings again. The Angels have won two in a row in Saint Louis in extra innings and they're tied at five right now in the bottom of the eighth.
Speaker 1: Well it's early in the season, yes, but still it's just like when it's a game like one nine where you're like, come on, I want to go home.
Speaker 8: I think it's not a new show, but I've been watching Hunted on Amazon, Brian. It's about a bunch of people that are quote unquote fugitives in Britain or Australia and they need to go on the run for thirty days from ex police military intelligence officers and if they can stay hidden and avoid capture for a month, they win a cash prize. So it's kind of interesting how they stay hidden and how they're tracked down.
Speaker 6: You've had three different versions of that show, by the way.
Speaker 7: Twenty fifteen was a British series, in twenty seventeen they did an American version, and then in twenty eighteen, I think it is they did an Australian version, So he may have been right on all those.
Speaker 1: Love on the Spectrum season three is out today on Netflix and it's.
Speaker 2: Just a joy of a show.
Speaker 1: And the thing that always strikes me about watching this show is the realization that we are all on the spectrum a little bit to some degree.
Speaker 6: Interesting.
Speaker 7: I would have said that it was proof that we are built for some amount of love, like we're built to be seek relationships with people in not just like friendship relationships, because obviously those are important too, but that almost eight billion people or however many are on this earth, there's a there's a need for that more intimate connection with somebody, and that it doesn't matter what's going on, how neuro divergent you might be, there's still some of that core mechanism in there that drives you to that right. And it's and like you said, it's such a pleasant It's a pleasant show these young people who have some sort of neurodivergence, whatever the correct term is, and they're looking to date because they see their older sisters do it, or they see their older brothers do it, or they see their families, you know, encourage them to go out and find love.
Speaker 1: Part of the wonderful thing about it is it's so phony, isn't it out there in the dating world.
Speaker 2: Look no further than the.
Speaker 1: Bachelor, where they're all lying to each other and themselves and it's all so phony and so prepackaged and produced and awful. This is the antithesis of that. This is as real and raw and unfiltered as a dating show could possibly get because there's no other option.
Speaker 2: That's the beauty of it.
Speaker 1: To hear people be completely honest with themselves and with other people about who they are is refreshing.
Speaker 6: What do you think love is? It'll be like a fairy.
Speaker 2: Tale, a natural high, I suppose gets your heart racing, can.
Speaker 8: Make people do crazy things.
Speaker 2: You just feel very warm inside yourself as a person.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's just such a clear, unvarnished and like you said, uncontaminated view of dating and relationship. There are three trailers up right now if you're looking for something to get excited about kfiam six forty dot com, slash Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 2: One of them is for Final Destination Bloodlines.
Speaker 7: This has got to be what the eighth movie, and that is it?
Speaker 2: Everybody dead at this point?
Speaker 7: I thought so. One is called One Battle after Another. Leonardo DiCaprio is in Paul Thomas Anderson's new movie.
Speaker 6: And then the.
Speaker 7: New Karate Kid Legends. It's called Karate Kid Legends. Who do you think is in Karate Kid legends. Uh, mister Miyagi, yes, no.
Speaker 2: Oh, he died, he died. I would say Johnny Lawrence.
Speaker 6: No, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Lpmachia.
Speaker 7: Ralph Maccio is in this one, but so is Jackie Chan. If you remember, Jackie Chan was with Jaden Smith in the Karate Kid reboot and now they're combining universes.
Speaker 1: There was an article in the La Times and the headline is the box office is bleak and when you talk about these trailers and things that are coming out. I have to agree with that headline specifically because we were just looking off the air about wondering about Val Kilmer. Was he nominated for his role in Tombstone in ninety three. We're going through the guys that were nominated and the movies that came out. And it wasn't just because we were younger and thought that that was like when of the best movies were being made. Those are really great movies that were made in the early He had a.
Speaker 6: Lot of competitions.
Speaker 7: Yeah, let us know what it is that you're watching. You can leave us a talk back on the iHeart app. Just hit that button and leave us a quick message. We'll talk more about a couple of the other shows that are coming up, including first few episodes of The Studio on Apple TV. If you're an industry person, you're gonna love it. If you're not, it's okay.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 7: We're in the middle of watching Watching Wednesday, talking about some of the shows on the TVs.
Speaker 9: For what you watching Wednesday. On Hulu, there's a show called My Best Friends and Animal and you guys would love it. Some of the animals are like a chicken, wild Australian cockatoo's a vulture, spider, rhinos, kangaroos, elephants, and more. So I know you guys would love it.
Speaker 2: My best Friend probably would.
Speaker 6: Produced by National Geographs.
Speaker 2: Lobby, Joe's mom came on.
Speaker 6: The real one.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, you don't, the fake one f one.
Speaker 6: Jennifer was her.
Speaker 1: Name, and you were like, like a lobster. Oh my god, that was so funny. And then the real one came on and she sounded just as lovable.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I would have said that.
Speaker 1: Really, it is just as lovable. She was more lovable than the one I thought she was delightful. I thought they were a little upset at first, but once she realized that we were just having fun.
Speaker 6: Seemed to put down her Canadian, but.
Speaker 2: You profiled her perfectly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I nailed it without knowing much about her, kind of nailed it. The studio on Apple TV Plus.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Now, I asked you if this is kind of an inside Baseball thing, I feel like it's like an inside Hollywood thing where you don't know a lot about Hollywood. You're not going to get the jokes. I don't know a lot about Hollywood's I don't know enough about Hollywood to say that there are jokes that I'm missing.
Speaker 7: Okay, so I'll say that, But you don't need to know all. Even if there are, you don't need to know. There are other funny things about what it is. It's written by Seth Rogan and a couple of other people. Seth Rogan plays this guy who is elevated to studio head first fictional Continental studios. And there are some things that I always get a kick out of recognizing places in shows. Listen, we live here, so it's not like you know a lot of the shows that are made are made here. So I recognize a lot of them, but it was funny. They have a dinner scene at at the Smokehouse just around the corner, and we've been there a handful of times for different meetings with different people. But it was funny because I turned to my wife and I go, I had a meeting with my boss same in that same restaurant, and may have even been in that same booth.
Speaker 2: And it's that kind of thing is funny.
Speaker 7: They also spend a lot of time walking around their their studio lot. Even though it's supposed to be a fictional student, it's clearly the Warner Brothers a lot over here. So you get to see all of the buildings in Burbank kind of in the background that we drive by every time we get we go to work, So some of that is fun. Seth Rogan is a is a guy that not everybody loves and his sort of frenetic, bumbly comedy doesn't fit for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: You mean in real life or in this show, No, I mean in real life they actors. There's some people just don't like him.
Speaker 7: They don't they don't think he's as funny as he has been made out to be.
Speaker 6: But this is a very well written show.
Speaker 7: There are some funny cameos in it, which I think probably drive it and has driven some of the popularity of it. Like Ron Howard shows up in the third episode as Ron Howard as this brilliant director with a laundry list of incredible movies that he's made, and he makes a movie for this studio and they have to try to give him a note about the final cut, like hey, we want you to kind of change this thing. And there's a moment where Ron Howard flips out and just drops f bombs left and right and has to be restrained from going after seth Rogen And that kind of stuff is funny because you get these people who are willing to make fun of themselves. I mean, Ron Howard is arguably royalty in Hollywood right now. And the fact that he was willing to do a show like this, play himself, but play a fictionalized character of himself that would be so out of bounds and so crazy and angry at a studio head.
Speaker 6: It's fun. Yeah, that's the fun part.
Speaker 2: That's all. I am annoyed with White Lotus. I am.
Speaker 1: I've never been more unsatisfied with a show that I used to like, at the end of every episode, it's all unsatisfying.
Speaker 2: Everybody on that show is awful.
Speaker 1: There's not one person And I have a hard time with shows like this, and I think it's probably going back to something.
Speaker 2: Your wife said years ago. I forget what show she.
Speaker 1: Was talking about, and she said something to the effect of like, there's no one to root for.
Speaker 2: And it's stuck in my head.
Speaker 1: And now if there's a show like and I'm thinking of the show with the Family on Showtime that everyone loves the session session and I felt the same way with that show, which is why I couldn't watch it. If there's no one to root for, if everyone's awful, I just don't want to watch it.
Speaker 2: That's just not enjoyable to me.
Speaker 7: There's there's something about that kind of a show that is trying to do something that Adolescence did.
Speaker 6: So we talked about Adolescents.
Speaker 7: That's the show on Netflix about the kid who's accused of killing this a teenager who's accused of killing a classmate. What they what they did in adolescence was built consistently built tension, and that kind of like unresolved tension. It does something to humans. We do not like that. I mean, it's not comfortable for us. So at the end of a show like that, it has stirred something up. It's like your hot water heater when there's like stuff floating around it. Yeah, it gets stirred up and you need time to let it settle once again. I feel like shows that are written where there's no hero, there's nobody to roof for, there's nobody likable in it.
Speaker 6: They try to do that same thing as stir up sort of the those feelings in you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but then there's no resolution, there's nothing at the end of it, and I feel gross.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like why was I watching this for an hour?
Speaker 6: I haven't seen enough of it to know about what's going on.
Speaker 7: These are not connect These characters in season three are not connected to the other characters.
Speaker 1: Well, one of them is. A couple of them are. But even one of the characters that was in a previous season, I don't really like her this season.
Speaker 6: Did you like her before?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 7: And then isn't it just they've done some pretty outlandish things and they're trying to outdo themselves with some of the stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm just bored by their boredom. If that makes any sense. They're bored rich people, and I'm bored by their boredom and how it manifests itself.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll accept them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rich boring people are insufferable.
Speaker 6: But poor boring people.
Speaker 2: Show me one poor show me a poor bored person.
Speaker 6: That's probably true. Maybe that's the problem is the money makes them boring and lazy.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess you can use to be a poor boring person if you're boring.
Speaker 6: But there aren't that many.
Speaker 1: But they're mostly people who are struggling, are working. You know, they don't have time to be bored. It's a luxury. It's like when you told your parents you were bored and they wanted to slap the s out of your face. It's like, look, people are bored. Only boring people are bored. And you know, I'll give you something to do. Go clean the backyard. You're bored, but it'll spoil brat The John Cobelt Show is coming up next. Oh Ken texted me back by the way.
Speaker 6: Oh good, so he's live.
Speaker 1: He says, he misses me too, so I'll have you guys know. But uh, at least somebody missed me around here.
Speaker 6: Uh huh. John show is coming up next. We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Stay drive, everybody, blessings.
Speaker 6: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 7: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap