Speaker 1: Hi, it's a Friday. You know what that means. I used to hope you do by now.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, come on, man, go for a dude.
Speaker 3: It's Friday.
Speaker 4: Fayy, no, Lie, it is Friday, John, hear you there, and we're stacked today.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be a fun one. We're gonna give you the promos here in a sec. Jamie Watson's gonna join us. We'll talk Club World Cup and Major League Soccer. Get you to the bottom of the hour, see if our friends from Beyond Goals Mintoring are not traveling the planet and doing soccer for good, and see if we can catch up with either mister Garza or mister Parkhurst. Ten o'clock we get another debut visit, Chris Whittingham from Apple TV and MLS. He will be joining us for the first time ever, and we'll try and do everything and be on our best behavior, make sure that he does not run off into the sunset and sit there with arms failing and go what have I gotten myself into? And then we met have a special guest coming up at ten thirty, so like after ten thirty, we're anticipating perhaps being joined by a fourth individual. So it's gonna be Jamie Watson, hopefully our friends from Beyond Goals, Mintoring, Chris Whittingham and a special guest and an unnamed anticipated special guest star coming up at ten thirty. So that's the rundown. Obviously, we got to get through Major League Soccer, get to get through all your your juice boxes, go through all the news of the morning, and we got to be out by like eleven ten because at Laney Unity two is hosting their press conference their MD minus two with head coach Steve Cook and Ryan Carmichael, and we got to dump out for that so we can be ready for the game. Remember Crew two and Laney United two on Sunday is going to be on ninety two nine in the game in the Odyssey app we're gonna have special pregame on the SDH network seven o'clock. Then we'll dump out by about seven to twenty seven twenty five ish on ninety two nine in the game. It'll be Maddie and Jason. They're gonna kick things off there ninety two nine in the game like seven twenty five, kick seven thirty three, and then we'll have a bit of a post game after that. So kind of a hybrid on Sunday looking at everything that's gonna be attached to everything in MLS Next Pro. It's the one time of the year where ninety two nine does an MLS Next Pro match. Maddy and Jason will have that for you coming up on Sunday night. All right, officially a no Dilly, no Dally zone, because you know what that means. It's time for us to rock and roll. And uh, last time that Jamie was with us, he was out on the Lanai. You know, we're trying to hear like trains and things and birds dive bombing him and things like that. And so now he is, he is indoors, he is in a calmer environ morning.
Speaker 5: Sir, Don, Good morning man.
Speaker 6: How are you you tell me you're you're the one that's been calling action at the Club World Cup and learning pronouncers and all this kind of stuff for a tournament that had like ninety eight matches every day that you get to hang out with.
Speaker 5: Man, I'll tell you what. First off, I'm very upset. I'm not outside right now taking this morning call with my cup of coffee here because my lovely neighbor, he's a wonderful chef. His name's Brian Baxter. He decides to start mowing five minutes city outside and I was like, you know what, Brian, fair enough, keep it, keep it moving. We'll go inside. So we'll take this one indoors today. So it's like where at Mercedes Been Stadium, had to close the roof, had to come inside, get rid of the elements, and we're in here chatting with you, John. But what an action packed show you've got today. Man, I cannot wait. And Chris woodiam great, great friend of mine. The special guest you've got is a big one. Can't believe you pulled that one off. So I'm very excited about that. And yeah, either guards are a park here. You can't go wrong with either one of those guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. Yeah, it's always fun to catch up with them at nine point thirty for when they're not traveling the planet and we get to do a beyond Goals menering and find out what's going on with them with the Friday free kick and everything. I wanted to ask. I wanted to kind of pull back the curtain a little bit when it came to your preparation and everything for the Club World Cup. Because it literally was churn and go and churn and go and churn and go. How much of a challenge was it for you to learn what you could learn about all these clubs in the Club World Cup and dance as fast as you could and calling all these matches?
Speaker 5: Man, I'd say, first of all, what a bucket list dream come true. This past month was getting to cover matches for just zoning for T and T. It was incredible. So got a chance to spend some time in Atlanta for these matches and call the games, which was great because the Zone had people on site excuse me, calling some games for different countries that to Zone would have the production for. And then we had the US Domestic Zone broadcast, which was incredible, And so we went to the wonderful, beautiful studios in Atlanta and we were able to do some games. It was great being in Nashville. I was only four hours away, so it was awesome. So got a chance to have my family there for a little bit of time. But everything was absolutely first class to a degree that I didn't know existed in broadcasting, with how they took care of us and looked after us and the big unsung heroes to this entire project were the countless people that working behind the scenes to make it all happen. We were ultimately the end product the broadcasters, but you know, Sean Brown was the one that really put us all together, helped put the team along with and that was there. They were producing, art was doing the studio. They'd turned the whole inside the NBA studio into the daily FIFA Club World Cup show. It was incredible. But we had some incredible help with getting our information each and every day for the matches. We have a great company they work with True Media, Steam Swailowski and Paul Carr. Each day would would fill your inbox with all the information you could possibly want on these teams. So I can't wait to dive more into it with you of how we would figure it all out, because each and every day, if it weren't for the news and notes that were delivered in the backgrounds of us, it would have been impossible to be able to cover this. So it really did take a village, and this was the coolest village to be a part of.
Speaker 1: How many different teams did you call? Do you remember off the top of your head.
Speaker 5: So I was fortunate I did sixteen games total, but we'll have to do some some math here on it. Because I was able to do all three of the Seattle Sounders games, which is really really cool because I knew as this was being the domestic broadcast, every MLS fan was going to be watching Seattle Sounders, right, So it was it was really a personally like a cool moment for me because MLS is the league that I love and the biggest stage in global club football. Seattle is a part of it. And I got to call a couple of other games which was really really cool, and some big ones PSG. Athletico Madrid and you know, yeah, Bodafogo. There were some teams in there that John I had I had imposter syndrome. I'm like, what am I doing calling this? Man? It's incredible. And then so total teams.
Speaker 1: So you got yeah, so we can run through it here.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you right now. We'll go through it together here as I've got my incredibly handy fop mob app which I was married to during this. Yeah, so as we as we look at it. I did ended up doing from Group A covered Palmetish in the knockout stage. All the four teams from Group B. So there's five Pshgvo to Foka, Athletico Madrid, Seattle Sounders, Group C, Benfica, Bayron, Munich. There's seven. I did Boca and I did Auckland. There's another. There's nine Flamengo ten, Chelsea eleven. That was it from Group D into Milan twelve, Monterey thirteen, River Plate fourteen, Uraba Red Diamonds fifteen. Now we get to Group F Dortmund sixteen Fluminence they got them in the knockout. Seventeen I think so Mamlodi Sundowns. Mamlodi Sundowns from South Africa. They were incredibly fun. They just threw tactics right out the window.
Speaker 1: They just like they'll take the over and we'll just rock YEP.
Speaker 5: There's eighteen right there, Juventus nineteen, Alayin from UAE. There's twenty. We'd ad Casablanca from Roqua twenty one, Rama did twenty two, Saltzburg twenty three. So I think twenty three of the thirty two teams. I think, I don't know, need to borrow your fingers and to jobs.
Speaker 1: But that's not solid. Because I was doing the math with you. I got twenty three.
Speaker 5: Did we go twenty three brilliant, and I think that's all. Let's go. We had North America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia. So I had every continent but Antarctica team from.
Speaker 1: So I gotta work on that, man.
Speaker 5: Brother. When I'd tell you, I would wake up some days and I would go, Okay, I've got my notes, but let me make sure I grab one which team from which continent is playing who? And then we tell you how fun it was learning pronunciations. Oh man, I'll tell you you know how this goes. Sometimes you get some names and they give you a pronunciation guide, but sometimes it can be a little bit differently said in different dialects and whatnot. So myself for the competation, I works great ones. Cal Williams from Apple TV, Tony Husband as well Andy Bishop, who does a lot of stuff with Sky's European based in Chris Sharples as well. Those are my four that I got a chance.
Speaker 1: To work with. Cal bring in the the the lip, Mike, Yeah, can I can?
Speaker 5: I show? Let me see, I think I might I do. I'm going to I'm gonna do the worst thing you can do is I'm gonna go off camera to find this real quick, fantastic, Actually have a lip mic here. Oh yeah about this. So back in the day, are the guy who hired us, who's responsible for putting Tony Husband, myself, Lorie Lindsay the first season, yeah together. His name is Brad Baker and he was a big fan of the lip mics. So I actually have a lip mic right here. So this is what you'll see some people use. That's fantastic and it's really good.
Speaker 1: And like.
Speaker 5: In European stadiums where they're outdoors, they're sometimes in the actual gantry and then the stands, and so you use this because it keeps obviously the close proximity of this. But man, so this is the Cal Williams special. He's always doing this and he has this cool system actually because normally when you're you know, when you're chatting, a lot of a lot of people have microphones and head headsets like what you have. That's more common in broadcasting, isn't it, John, And so when you're when you're talking to get your hands freen A lot of times you can kind of hand motion right, you can like point you all right, like you go next, or I'll go But you know, Cal Wood has a system where he's talking, he's talking, and then he'll go like exaggerated, like put his microphone down. It's it's so funny the little nuances of broadcasting that everybody has.
Speaker 1: He talks in all caps, man.
Speaker 5: With the literation, and and he's wonderful. He's he's incredible. But you know, Tony Husband and I I was my partner for for three years in Nashville. He was so good man. There was there was just so many quality broadcasting people, both on camera and behind the camera doing this, and it's like it felt like broadcasting sports camp heaven because every day you just walk into the bullpen and be like, oh, there's Andre's Cantur, who's next to Luis Garcia who was on the desk that day with Juan Pablo and hell and you know, oh yeah, Devontor Bergertov would walk in along the way and Alex Scott was hosting Katie with them. Was incredible at hosting Laurene of Bars. I mean, it was like a who's who every day. Moe Adams was incredible, Brian Dunseeth so man, it was it was so fun and we just had a great time and I could be more grateful to get to experience it all and get to kind of recap with you. It's not even done yet. We still have the final on Sunday, but.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, well experience. I wanted to ask, is PSG like the PSG is the ish right now? I mean, they they are insane when it comes to talent and what they're able to do out there.
Speaker 5: John, There's there's no there's no holes in their game. You want to try to defend them one way, PSG will hurt you together. You want to go in high press, They're good enough to play around. If you want to try to sit back in well, they're patient and they'll wait and they'll pass around. Miami saw that into Miami, saw that at Mercedes Benz Stadium'm sure a lot of your listeners would have been there because that was one of the premier matches, you know, to be able to see in to Miami in the knockout stage, Messy versus PSG again. But ma'am, I think if Chelsea can keep this close and keep it respectable, you know, I think that the uglier. I said this the other day when I was getting a chance to do a show with Serious X. Sam said the day before we were pregame, or the day of we were previewing it in the morning and it was you know, if Real Madrid can make it an ugly game, they have a better chance. But it's like, right now, with PSG, I'd equate it to going into the ring with Mike Tyson in his prime and standing there and just trying to throw punches with them. You can't do that. It's not going to go well for you. You've got to make it as ugly as possible and if you if you do, I guess you'd give yourself the best chance. But ma'am, I think it could be PSG, and I think it could be PSG comfortably on Sunday.
Speaker 1: I mean you look at what they're able to do, and everybody's sitting there going, yeah, well PSG this, and they talk about the opponent, well PSG this, PSG that, and then it's like, well Messi and friends lose by four. But remember you've got you know, waxed in the Champions League final, and so everybody's sitting there going oh mlss MLS that. It's like, no, fam, you remember what happened in the Champions League final. This has turned into the norm. They are a machine. And I saw a story where apparently Luis en Rique was interviewing for the Chelsea gig when it was open before they gave it to Pochettino, and he comes in with this fantastic presentation of what you know Luis en Rique does, and he breaks everything down to its finest little part and they were like, no, thanks, we're not interested, and they went with Pochettino. I'm I want to see how this goes with Luis and Rique on the weekend.
Speaker 5: I wonder if the people in that room that voted no, they saw a job today, you know, but no, I tell you it's an incredible team man, And I think it was funded. Ballet has proven he should win a Ballador this year. It's been incredible. But there were just so many different ways. Jean Nevison the midfield's credible talent. Man uh Kavicha kavart Scalia, that's the name. I got to learn how to say, tell you what, man. When you're it's one thing. When you're watching it and you hear a couple of people different say it, it's it's all well and good. But when I had when I had to try to say some of these names like that. That was one of the ones that I was going to bed the night before being like, all right, said my said my prayers, called the wife and kids, and then I was like, okay, Kavar Scalia. It was like I was counting sheep, trying to make sure I could say this name wrong, you know, and broadcasting nightmares right there.
Speaker 1: But it was yeah.
Speaker 5: But I will tell you this something cool that I think it is is a cool fact to talk about. I had people from Major League Soccer, you know, scouts and people in front office texting me throughout this this competition. I think I truly believe you were gonna end up seeing some players from this tournament end up in Major League Soccer sooner rather than later. Because it was an interesting viewpoint of getting some of these teams. And I won't say for which teams, which games and whatnot, but there was definitely some of the games that were not necessarily the marquee. Once you know, the big ones, you're not gonna you're not going to see somebody go from one of the top teams in Europe right now that's in their prime to you know, they gonna leave Madrid to come that you're not scouting those games, but some of the other teams from some of the other continents in other countries. I would be shocked if you didn't see some players make the leap to Major League Soccer from some of those teams after the exposure that some of these other leagues got, which was one of the cool aspects of the FIFA club woke up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One of the folks that Jason had earmarked was Diosa from a mont Today.
Speaker 5: Inredible. I did two of their games and the one that he scored the banger from the distance against Red Diamonds. But John Day, it was crazy. It was this goal, so it may be one of the goals of the tournament. Nelson Diosa don't even have to pull up my notes number six for Monterey's defensive midfield, big size, strong, powerful, But John this gold a tournament. He scored a match Day three Canada for it. He faked a shot from right inside of the midfield line at the circle and he got the forward to like to jump. He was so convincing, and then he moved in about ten to fifteen steps forward and he shot and he bangs us in anything that just moves and swerves different directions. And I was on the call with Andy Bishop for that one and we both looked at each other like he faked a shot and the guy respected the shot so much. He was just from midfield and then he stepped inside and scored this banger. But yeah, that's a great shot right there. A player like that, he was incredible. He's the name Nelson Diosa that I would not be shocked if people in Major League Soccer were trying to ask, mantery, how much do you want for this guy? He was so so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he right now is being courted by Sporting in Portugal. And our buddy Neo Taurus from Goal TV, who calls the Portuguese league, was giving us the rundown of all that, and I mentioned Diosa, and I also mentioned Mehi coming from Famalikao to Atlanta United as a whole, as a part of this whole dynamic, and Diosa is attracting a figure that's like ten million right now, transfer marked Hedham at like eight to nine, and so Sporting was looking at like ten from on today, we were tempted to lock the doors and Mercedes Benz Stadium when monterday was playing to assure ourselves that Diosa could not leave. He's not good, not allowed to leave there, and not afraid to shoot from twenty like you like you had in your match, but just in general, he had three shots from twenty outside the eighteen and he didn't blame. He didn't think twice about it. He was ready to go.
Speaker 5: He was in the last match against Doorman they lost two to one to get knocked out of the quarterfinals. He just kept smashing the ball. Everybody at that level can shoot a ball, John Nelson, Diosa can kick it differently than others.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: He absolutely hammers it. And it's it's funny said about locking the doors at Mercedes Benz. I'm looking at the comments coming in, and one of them from your loyal listeners here saying the look up some of the players eyes looking at the bins when they first came in, they were blown away. That's how good Mercedes Benz Stadium is. Some world class players just playing some of the excuse me, the biggest stadiums. They walk inside a Mercedes Benz stadium and they're like, oh, so this is what a billion and a half dollars looks like.
Speaker 7: Huh.
Speaker 5: It's jaw joppy.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: It's absolutely stunning, and it was so cool to see how many big games Mercedes Benz Stadium got in and some of the big big matchups. And then of course you think Messi scoring that free kick or an iconic moment, you know, just just ridiculous. Come on, man, come on man. The guy delivers on the biggest stage to win against Porto, love them hate him because of where the proximity is in the rivalry. I get it, but come on, man, what a moment when Messi steps up in Andre's canturs on the call. Oh my goodness, I'd.
Speaker 1: Been like a twelve second hold. Literally, we were sitting there when Andres is on a call. We sit there and we literally look at our stopwatches on a goal call, and I time out the hold note. I mean, he's punching a twelve second hold note on a goal call.
Speaker 5: It's incredible, man. And I remember just walking into the bullet in there at the studios and at TNT and just wanting to shake his hand and just like I was like, Andre, you have been the soundtrack to so many great moments of my soccer fandom, Like thank you, you know, and he looked like you heard that a million times over, So it wasn't anything new to him, but it was. It was really really cool to see and he was fantastic. He was as good as you could imagine meeting him, you know, it was it was such a surreal experience the whole time.
Speaker 1: In the twenty three teams that you called, we mentioned Diosa from on today. Who else stood out to you that might sit there and have folks knocking on the door of say Mamalodi Sundowns or a Red Diamonds or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there were some really good players, like on the Sundowns. Lucas Roberto was really good from the Sundowns. He was number ten, smaller stature, smaller framed player, but he was he was really really good. I really enjoyed watching him. I'm trying to think, I'm trying to go through now some of the teams. You know, it's interesting because every team has a different need and different price point right of who you want to spend, and so you know, I'm trying to think of some of the smaller teams that we watched, Like.
Speaker 1: Jamie Watson is constructing his eleven from from teams that are not that are off the beaten track.
Speaker 5: You know, it's so interesting, right because like, what is what is a team? Like we died Casablanca pay right. They have this forward Goja Lava, who has scored hundreds and hundreds of goals for his club, Like you know, he's a he's older, he's like he's thirty three. But the guy's just he only scores goals. It's it's insane, right, But what are these teams pay? I don't I don't know some of the business structures of it, which is really difficult to kind of tell. But you know, some names of Papa, like Kaku who used to play for the New York Red Bulls. He was there, so it was kind of cool seeing the MLS connections throughout. Mikael who used to play for Houston. You know, he's for Palmettish as well, so as Kundo Torres. You know, I think there were some really good players. And I'm going to skate around the question a little bit because the reason I will say this is there were a lot of people that I really enjoy working with on the scouting side of Major League Soccer that was reaching out and I did give them some specific names but out of sort of respect to that, I don't want to say which ones, but I think you said this John and Nelson Dials. I was almost worried that he would have been on too high of the pay structure and transfer fee command, so I didn't say his name on purpose. But he was probably the one player that if I could really pinpoint on the higher side, that probably has the realistic, you know, top end major League soccer price tag. I think that he might be a player like that, but it's just tough. I don't know what teams would be willing to spend. So I just gave. Each time I would get a text, I would say, here's a good name, here's a good player, and I would move moving on from there.
Speaker 1: You know, absolutely who do you have this weekend in Major League Soccer?
Speaker 5: So this weekend I'll get a chance to jump over to FS one and I've got an exciting game Nashville versus Miami. Oh so tasty one, absolutely tasty matchup. So I'll get a get a break from from Apple TV this week. Great collaborative effort because I was on the game Austin versus New England, but there were some scheduling changes around. So I got switched over to do the Nashville versus Miami game on FS one, So we're looking forward to that one.
Speaker 1: All right, so take the over obviously, always Nashville seemed. BJ Callahan seems to have unlocked Sam Surridge right now, Surrige and some dude named Messy. You got a studio audience.
Speaker 5: Huh, it's a it's a lovely four year old daughter that that wants to come over here and have my attention, and she's so hard to say no too. So little missus Graylan is over here as well.
Speaker 1: Well, you're gonna put Graylan on camera? Are you just gonna sit there and not introduce us or what? Well?
Speaker 5: Grayland's now watching Pepa Pit so you can compete with Pepper pick apologize.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 5: PJ Allen and and BJ was great, by the way. We got a chance to be there with with BJ in the studio. He came in and did a wonderful job. By the way, very few coaches can come in and they can do a good job of being able to switch over. Oh she's she. I think she might want to say hello now, GRAYLND do you want to say hi? No? You don't want to say hi, okay, but here we go. We got this. This is the dad life, you know that we've got going here. We're breaking down soccer at a high level and also making sure our four year old doesn't yell at us because I'm a girl dad and she's amazing. She's the best. She's got me wrapped around her. I think bj Allien did an amazing job, by the way, in the studio, he was so good. They put him on the big board and and he was breaking things down. You could see how his mind just operates differently as as a coach, and it was I absolutely stole a lot of things that he said, and the immediately went and said it on the broadcast. But he was great. I think that he's There is a complete about the way Nashville, as see plays. There's two different players that can hurt you. Because Nashville fans will know this. The Nashville one point zero era was all about Honey and Atlanta fans will know this because Honey saved his some of his best performances for Lanti United fans along the way. But you knew if you could stop Hanny, you could stop Nashville. Now you also have Sam Surge that's contributing. You've got Hanny that's contributing. You've got some really hard working players in the middle of the park that continue to run into press and to repress. And that's where in remind me have broken down their their struggles is the repress. Okay, yes, ma'am, there's breaking down the repress. Oh, I think she's gonna make it zuccher.
Speaker 1: Great?
Speaker 5: Or do you want to say hi? Say hi to Daddy's friends?
Speaker 1: There you go, there we go.
Speaker 5: There's mister John and all of his friends. Can you get Daddy two minutes and we'll be able to come in and play with you. I'll help you, okay, I love you bad. Life never stops here. Thanks for letting her crash the party.
Speaker 1: It's always good studio arts.
Speaker 5: The love of my life there. But I think, what what what you know? Just to wrap that thought up, that's what Nashville have done so well as they've been complete in the fact that they are very, very difficult to break down. I don't know, I'll get it. Go serious here. She's so cute it's hard to say. It's hard to say no to her. See see how I'm up and by the way, she's making me give her a PEZ.
Speaker 1: Nothing wrong with Pez.
Speaker 5: At nine thirty am Eastern time, A thirty where I am put it's summertime, baby, and you get you.
Speaker 1: Got to give out PEZ. But remind me at the back there's talk about Rodrigo to Paul. You've got all the firepower right now. It's like, okay, we're just gonna outscore folks, and you know you could have a match that could be dealing with the overall a weekend.
Speaker 5: And I'll tell you what, man, I'm so interested to get your thoughts on Rodrigo de Paul because there's gonna have to be some some roster dancing that's gonna have to happen. Right How are you going to be able to fit an extra, you know, player in there, Dosney a player. They're gonna have to switch up some of your roster build if you.
Speaker 1: Want to or where do you do this? We were walking through it yesterday. Last number that we looked at in AM was that Messi and friends had a little over three million left in AM and this was like late February, I think was when the numbers were released by the PA with the three dps that you have. Do you sign him as an AM player pro rated for half a season and then do you sit there and go, Okay, you're AM this year, and then we'll try to DP you or go high AM next year, and then buy down Jordi Alba, buy down Bousquettes, figure out what you want to do. Because your three dps all have contracts that are ending at the end of this season. So I'm guessing he's a pro rated AM this year. Luis Suarez goes home to run the club and that gets your your AM slot there, and so you sign it to a Soarezi and kind of a deal, and so he's probably a high AM or maybe a DP and you buy down Jordia Alba or something like.
Speaker 5: That, which could very well happen. I think that's genius, a good way to do that. I think that when you you've broken that so so well. I also wonder is there a world in which guys like Bousquets I don't I want to be respectful of other people's money and stuff like that. You would assume at the level that he's played at, he's probably set financially and couldn't spend it all even if he tried. I wonder if at the end of the season, he also says, I want this to get better, so I will drop my salary requests down and almost, you know you don't you say, like the hometown discount right? Well, now it's it's almost like, is it the you know them trying to think of a clever name?
Speaker 8: Here?
Speaker 5: Is it the world beater discount?
Speaker 8: Here?
Speaker 5: Where we could get a world beater to bring.
Speaker 1: The golf stream galacticos buy down.
Speaker 5: There, we go put a patent on it, put it, put a TM next to it, because you nailed it. No, it's something like that. I mean, I just I just wonder if there's an element to that of somebody says one of them says, okay, fine, I've made my money. I've got one more year left. I want to play at a high level with other high, high level players. That's what I want to do. So it'll be interesting to see if or does MLS come in and do they alter some of the rules and change it and go four dps right, And I wouldn't be shocked, and I wouldn't you know, You've got World Cup winners that want to come over now at thirty one years old and clubs that are willing to pay reportedly up to twenty million dollars.
Speaker 1: Are you going to.
Speaker 5: Stand in the way if you're Major League Soccer, are you going to say, yeah, let's try to make that happen as well too. So I don't know, it's going to be interesting to see, but I don't think that MLS should shy away from the idea of figuring out roster constructions that bring over players world class players in their prime. Ish thirty one is not you're full on prime, but you're still he's starting for Athletico Madrid, right, So let's let's not sugarcoat here. This is a top you know, twenty team in the world, five team in the world. And so you say, okay, this is you know, a player that can start there if a club wants to acquire, and we need to figure out a way to not stand in the way of it with our rules.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so I think that you opened up another door with that fourth DP. Go spend time with Graylan, have a fantastic call this weekend with Messy and friends in Nashville. And uh, obviously you know you got the garage door opener. You know you can crash it anytime. It's always great. You know.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm a big fan of the show, and I'm gonna go go play down him and take my soccer hat off now and go go put my dad hat on, and whatever she wants me to do, I'll be doing that in just a couple of seconds while watching your show Peze. Just by the way, Relentless is just crush the whole PEZ dispensed. Wow, unbelievable. All right, we're gonna sign off here.
Speaker 1: Good Jamie, Mike Raylan gos bye. All right, so they're out. Uh, Jamie's gonna go be a dad. Grayland crushed an entire case of PEZ in like three minutes, eight thirty in the morning local time, and a daughter is crushing PEZ. That is a fantastic dietary choice on a Friday morning. Jamie Watson, it's always great to catch up with him. We got to talk to his neighbor though about mowing the lawn because you know, it's like, dude, can't you see that Jamie's trying to do TV. He's trying to do TV and he's trying to get stuff squared away. So Jamie's gonna go be a dad, and it's always great to have Jamie Watson come down and see what's going on with him. So Chris Whittingham set to join his Top of the Hour and we'll break everything down major League soccer. We'll find out a little bit about Chris, considering it's his first time on the show, and I wanted to kind of peel back the curtain a little bit because Chris has called a lot of different leagues and so my lead off with Chris is going to be, Okay, how many leagues have you called this year? How many leagues have you called? Do you remember them all? So we'll get into that discussion with Chris, talk about major League soccer, all the things. Great to catch up with Jamie. Obviously, like I said, Jamie's got FS one this weekend where he gets messy in Friends and Nashville, and so we'll catch up with that. Obviously, we've got a couple of things to talk about with Atlanta United. We'll go here with one of them. And obviously it's it has been in social media for quite some time and if you were to follow this particular individual on his social media, you would know that he's wearing the gear. He's posing in rooms with sofas and things, flexing, muscles and so on. It is official Atlanta United his loan Edwin Musquette to me Andario So the Columbian First Division through the end of next year. So it is a year long loan for Edwin Musquetta with an option for a permanent transfer. So fast, Eddie is going to be spending the next calendar year on loan two millionaios and so for contract. And we'll go ahead and go through contract numbers and contracts and things like that, and so we'll double check Edwin Mosquetta's status. Plus we will double check his salary figure according to our friends at the MLSPA and with ed Win. Let me see if we can find him really quickly or did they already punch him out? Wow that might have been. That was fast, okay, let's see so Margaret value uh toga she Ronald Derek Jamal Tristan William Baugh. Wow they already did. Wow, that was fast. Okay. So Edwin Musqueta it's no longer a rumor market value of four hundred thousand euro but they had him rumored to Atletico naci Ana and so Edwin under contract with Atlanta United and I thought, yes, now what they wasted no time with this? Okay, so transfer marked officially has him flipped. Okay, so joined, yet they have him joining yesterday. Actually so joining yesterday transfer marked and it is a basically it's a year long loan until the June thirtieth to twenty six option to buy. Current market value listed at four hundred thousand euro according to our friends at transfer Marked and so from the MLSPA. When it comes to the salary guide in resources which you really should have bookmarked, I don't, but I should from a salary perspective, it was Edwin was making four hundred and twenty five thousand base four sixty two guaranteed compensation. So that is that was the rundown of Edwin Mousqueta. The thing about think about Edwin, Edwin needs reps, and I think that he needs to be in a place where he can get constant playing time. He wasn't getting that with Atlanta United. You saw with Edwin that you know, the speed is there and the imagination is there, as evidenced by the one goloasso at Mercedes Been Stadium. That sticks into my head. But he needed, he needed regular reps and it was a chance for Atlanta United to send him to a place where he gets regular reps once again option on a permanent transfer. So it is a loan for a year and a twelve month loan short of the ten days or the eleven days that we're here in July and twenty five. So Edwin Mosquette alone to me in Arios. He had been posing on social media wearing their gear last couple of days. And so Edwin is down there now and he's got to work as the first touch needs to be worked one a little bit. But the speed is there, talent is there, the imagination is there. He just needed a place to have regular reps and so he gets that at Meg Andario's and he will be down there on loan with an option for a permanent transfer. Now, the other stuff that we need to get into, obviously with Atlanda United, outside of on the field is the off the field. And yesterday we found out that Garth Loggerway is now in a cancer bout and it is an indefinite leave of absence. This came out a little after a little before two o'clock yesterday afternoon. And I know that you guys have been mentioning it in the twitch pitch this morning, right now, the way that it is, the way that it was released by it Land United indefinite leave of absence after recently being diagnosed with cancer has begun treatment. No timetable for his return. Prognosis of a complete recovery is encouraging. In the interim, Chief Soccer Officer Chris Henderson, Chief Business Officer Skate Knopsinger, Senior VP of Strategy, Demetrius if Stoth. YOUU continue to lead the day to day ops and will provide regular reports to Garth and to Rich McKay, CEO of AMBS during the absence. You've got a statement from Arthur Blank. A statement from Rich Garth's quotation in the release. I've made the difficult decision to step back from Atlanta United to tackle my cancer treatment head on. I'd like to express my profound gratitude to Arthur Blank for not only his support, but by doing everything in his power to make this process as painless as possible for me and my family. I could not possibly work for a better organization than AMBS. Atlanta United has a high performing leadership team in place on the business and soccer sides of the club. Chris Skate and Demetrios are experienced and talented leaders, and I have full confidence in their abilities to lead our club in my absence. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to seeing our fans again sun at Mercedes Been Stadium. I shall return. End quote. And with that, obviously, you want Garth to focus on getting back to fighting this, and you want this. I'm gonna phrase it this way. Anytime anyone is and I'm gonna break the fourth wall here for a little bit. I hate cancer and I know I'm not alone in that lost my dad to cancer and it was just over fifteen years ago. And anytime I hear that anyone is fighting a cancer battle, you want them to have the resources available. You want them to fight, you want them to focus. You want to make sure that this ass of a beast that is known as cancer. And I probably could earn the explicit rating discussing cancer in and of itself. I hate it. I hate what it does to people. I hate what it does to families, to relationships and to the lives that you're trying to construct. I'm hoping that actually, let me rephrase, I hope Garth kicks its ass, and I have no qualm about that. Whatsoever. I want Garth, I want the Loggerways, I want ABC, I want it Lanta United to kick cancer's ass from one end of the field to the other. And in Garth's statement, you saw that, you heard that. You know, he is blessed to work for a place like a MBS and we are blessed here in this market to have someone who cares for individuals as much as Arthur Blank does. So whatever it takes for Garth and the Loggerways and Atlanta United to kick cancer's ass, go do it. Because I hate cancer with every fiber of my being and probably every fiber of my family's being on top of my own. So we've got Skate, We've got Chris, We've got d You've got Hobby on the analytics side. You've got a lot of talented people. They'll work on the business side, and they'll continue doing what they do on the business side of things. And I hope that Garth realizes. And it was on social media yesterday a lot yesterday afternoon and last night, the support that Garth has from all of us seventeens media, what have you? You know, whatever you know envelope or pronoun you want to apply that to. I hope that the logger ways feel it every day, the support that they have from people they know and people they don't about kicking cancer's ass. We probably should print up a T shirt kick Cancer's ass today and every day. So that's the latest with Garth. That came out yesterday about two o'clock yesterday afternoon. So Garth is now undergoing Garth is undergoing transfer cancer treatments and we don't have a Yeah, an Abby, that's absolutely true with Darren fighting it too. Darren fighting it over at Newcastle, Garth fighting it here. It does, Abby says, between Garth and Darren Eil's good friends both having a cancer diagnosis sucks. Ye, it does. So fight it, kick its ass and we'll see you when we see you. Come out, you know, come out and see games casually, trusting those around you and know that we're here for you in whatever aspect you You want to apply that sentence in that sentence rusure kick cancer's ass today and every day. That's your T shirt. Damn that pisses me off, But anyway that had to be you know, we had to talk about that considering what happened yesterday with the announcement with Garth and so lengthy statement from Atlanta United came out yesterday afternoon and laying that out. So I'm going to keep an eye on that too. Once again. Chris Whittingham set to join us top of the hour, tell you what, let's go through juice boxes and everything in Major League Soccer. Let you know what the numbers are. Chrystill join us. It'll be his first time, like I said, hopefully he won't go running off into the running off into the night, hands failing in the air after the segment's over. And then we are planning a special guest coming up at ten thirty, so we'll see. We'll see what happens with special guest. And like I said, we've got to be out a little after eleven five because we've got to get ready for the twos and Columbus Crew two coming up this weekend at ninety two nine in the game and the Odyssey app okay, excuse me, juice boxes this weekend involving all of the action in Major League Soccer. We will also let me I will give you the juice boxes for the Club World Cup Final at the meto lands. Now that I'm thinking about it, let me go down and drop that number. So Club World Cup Final it is on Sunday afternoon at three o'clock. PSG's a minus one sixty four. Chelsea's a plus four fifteen. Ninety minute draws a plus three twenty six. So there you go. I think the safest play in the world is to go with PSG. Nod your head, move on, tip your cap to Luis Enrique and that's a show, all right. So the seven forties on Saturday night and it will be oh wow, it'll be another one of those where it is two four, six, eight ten. You'll have another ten box in the goo hour over at MLS three sixty. Here's what's going on, Charlotte and NYC. Charlotte favored of the plus one oh four against NYC, who's a plus two twenty five. Your ninety minute draws a plus two seventy eight. Dean Smith, apparently the head coach Charlotte FC, did not want Patrick Agyemong to go. The salary demands were rather large by his agent, according to Dean Smith, and Dean Smith decided to let everybody know, or let everybody think anyway, that in his mind, the EFL Championship is right there, even with the folks in Major League Soccer. Dean Smith on contract negotiations with Patrick, if it came down the money, it's always money. Back in January, thought the club made a fair offer. His representatives had a totally different idea that was way out, way out of the ballpark for this club. Feels that Pat's move is more of a push from his reps than Patrick Godgemong. He adds that Dean Smith feels like the Championship isn't much different than Major League soccer. Tim Reemans back from international duty, Wilson back from suspension, so in Dean Smith's mind. Dean Smith adds, he feels like the EFL Championship isn't much different than Major League Soccer. I would wholeheartedly disagree with him, because you don't have half of the clubs in Major League Soccer trying to stay above water and paying more than ninety five percent of your economics to your salaries. Thirteen of the twenty four teams that were in the EFL Championship last time I looked at at least ninety five percent of their budgets going to salaries if not more. Look, you had teams that were like at one hundred and thirty percent of their economics being paid to salaries. That's not how it works here in Major League Soccer. And the fact that Dean Smith feels he wants to deny an opportunity. Look, if Patrick Augiemong isn't getting minutes in a system where he is allowed to flourish, why wouldn't he look for another place? Why wouldn't he? And the fact that Darby wants to pay roughly was at seven point two for Patrick Ajimong. That's seven point two more million dollars that Charlotte gets to spend on other folks. But to compare the EFL Championship to Major League Soccer, that is a big gap in logic and I would disagree. So you got that. Good on you, Dean Smith. Hell Is reel is also at seven point forty. That's Cincinnati favored at a plus one seventeen, cruise a plus one ninety seven draws a plus two eighty one. Intrigued at that one, uh, I'm looking at the draw to plus two eighty one Purple team in Montreal, Purple team of minus two fifty set your fantasy teams appropriately if you did not set your team up for a double week cf. MONTREALI plus five ninety six and the composite courtesy of our friends at Odds Portal draws A plus three eighty six. Philadelphia minus one twenty two hosting Red Bulls, who are a plus three to fifteen. Your draws A plus two seventy Toronto and Atlanta Toronto a plus one forty one draws a plus two to fifty two Atlanta United a plus one seventy seven. We'll get Chris Whittingham's thoughts on it in the Atlanta United season coming up in a bit. Jamie, as he said, he's calling Messian Friends and Nashville and Messi and Friends of minus one eleven draws a plus three hundred Nashvilles a plus two fifty two. Take the over, find the over, Take the over. Let's look for the over here for a second. Because of the back line of Messi and Friends going up against the scoring that Nashville seems to be putting up under bj Callahan, three and a half is a plus one twenty two. I'd take that four and a half a plus two eighty five and a half a plus five sixty three, So I like the three and a half obviously to get things started. But if you're really into totals, that's where I would go with that one eight thirty eight forty Austin without Brandon Vasquez for the rest of the rest of the season, minus one zero four at home against the Revs. Revs are a plus two sixty one at Q two in your draws A plus two sixty eight. Chicago hosting San Diego. San Diego is a road favorite, slight the road favorite of the plus one forty six draws. A plus two to eighty. Chicago is a plus one fifty four loons in San Jose minus one ten for the home side. San Jose's a plus two to fifty two, and your draws basically a plus three hundred eight forty sporting in Seattle sporting a plus two hundred. That number has gone up in the last twenty four hours. Seattle a plus twenty eighteen. Your draws a plus two seventy three nine forty stars. Colorado hosting Vancouver, Colorado A plus one sixty Vancouver favored slightly on the road of the plus one fifty six in the composite draws a plus two to fifty four RSL at home even money plus one hundred, Houston visiting at A plus two to fifty draws A plus two sixty three LAFC minus two fifty FC Dallas on the road of plus five eighty seven in the composite draws A plus four hundred LAG hosting DC United with out their former head coach Troy Lasain, who was dismissed yesterday after technically after their late night Open Cup loss where you had a two nail legue and you lose five to two. LAG Hosting DC United lag minus one sixty seven, d C north of plus four hundred draws A plus three twenty six and SNS Sunday Night Soccer seven ten All Caps hosting Portland in Saint Louis, plus one twenty for Saint Louis City SC draws a plus two seventy eight. Portland is a plus one ninety eight. So Cap Charlotte favored Cincinnati, Favored Orlando on the minus side, big favorite Philadelphia on the minus side. Favored against Red Bulls Toronto plus one forty one favorite against Atlanta. Messi and Friends on the minus side. Favored against Nashville, Austin on the minus side, favored against New England, San Diego favored on the road at Chicago. Slight Minnesota minus side favored against San Jose. Seattle on the plus side, favored at Sporting Colorado, Vancouver pretty much throwing a blanket over the whole thing. Vancouver slightly favored in the composite over Colorado RSL even money plus one hundred, favored at home against Houston, LAFC big favorite against Dallas at home. LAG big favorite at home against DC United. Obviously the juice box purveyors looking and sitting there thinking that there's not going to be any new coach bump involved at DC. And then Saint Louis City favored at home against Portland on Sunday night. So that's how it looks Abby posting in the Twitch Pitch Mega Tifo this weekend. Also going to do a banner for Garth and all her fighting cancer. Help is needed, anyone can come and help. No photos where stuff you don't mind getting pain on. And she has also posted the link to the sign up Genius link, so don't take any pictures, but go help out. They're doing two separate tefos one to show support for Garth and one for the beginning of three matches in eleven days as Chicago comes to town middle of next week. There is a bit of a surprise that we will let you in on early next week involving the Chicago Atlanta match. It's a cool surprise. It's SDH based, somewhat SDH adjacent. But next week we'll let you in on that story coming up. Michael not looking forward to the match this weekend. Let's say, let's see you who's here this morning, so we can say everybody, Morning Alex, Morning Abby, Morning David, and let's see morning Michael, Kefzi, Morning Kefzi, and let's see morning Ricky with the news on Mousqueta, and morning Sharif who is back. And let's see. So there is Ricky, there is Michael, there is Abby, and once again the sign up genius, which I'm leaving up for a minute, morning ropes. So that's the rundown for everybody here that is keeping an eye on things in the twitch pitch, looking forward to, looking forward to, looking forward to the visit for Chris Whittingham coming up here in a couple of minutes. The Cosmos returning in name League One. They're playing in Jersey. They're playing at Hinchcliffe Stadium in Patterson, New Jersey. Stadium's got about eight thousand seats coming twenty twenty six. Here's how they laid it out. Past President Cosmos. I feel like you need finger pistols or something like that, Past Present Cosmos. So it's interesting there. There's some transfer news that we'll get into toward the tail end of the show. Morgan Gibbs White is now and is he or isn't he? Nottingham Forest is mad about how things were handled. Brentford is getting Jordan Henderson apparently from IAX on a free So you've got a lot of moving and shaking going on. Remember, thirteen days before the trance, the secondary transfer window opens up for Major League Soccer. You can talk about all the things you want inbound, and nothing can happen officially and be officially official until the twenty fourth, and then that's about a month worth of activity, and so you can talk about all the things you want. Now, we'll talk about all the things we want inbound coming up here, you know, for the next thirteen days or so, but the twenty fourth. Starting the twenty fourth, it could be very very entry sting when it comes to folks. So, uh, let me see if I can spell. I always have a problem spelling Chris's name because it's like there's a no, that, there's a there's agent a y, and it's like ancient dum. I'm all over the place with it. I really am. Uh. I believe all of the all of the things. That's where we are. See, you try and sit there and you spell something and you're trying to be nice about it, and you always screw it up. So that's that's the way it is. No, it's like, no, it's like cutting paste. I just want cutting paste. I'm not asking for much twenty first century problems. Time for a debut. It's our number two. I may fill a buster for another forty five seconds just so it's right at ten o'clock. No, I'm not gonna do that. Uh. Like I said the first time, that Chris Whittingham is here with us on the show, and we're gonna talk because if we talked about other things, it might be a little off the rails, but you know, with the show talks about everything off the rails anyway, So we welcome Chris Whittingham to the show. Good morning, sir, Welcome to the Morning Show and the Chaos and the Hour of Chaos, specifically as we call it here on Fridays.
Speaker 3: This is the Hour of Chaos.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So I guess I have a lot to live up to. Then I'll try and bring the chaos.
Speaker 1: Ah. Well, you know, we try to pace ourselves a little bit here. First off, thanks for doing this, especially as you're getting ready for match week and everything like that. I know that your schedule is probably what how many different calendars do you have when it comes to figuring out what version of you has to beware?
Speaker 3: Well, I do have a note in my phone where I keep my calendar for CBS and my overall list of game. It would probably be easier on a calendar, but for some reason, the note on the phone is more effective for me. And then usually I do kind of the calendar for these sorts of things like the radio hits and the coach calls and all that sort of thing. So I'd say probably two to keep everything in line.
Speaker 1: Okay, because I'm seven hundred and two years old, I have four Okay, I have I have the Daily, I have the the Oh.
Speaker 3: So this is handwritten, handwritten calendar.
Speaker 1: Well, I have what's one of them I have? I have the handwritten calendar done like my old TV days where you sit there and you make the line down the side and it's like left is who's on and right is what else you have to do? Okay, then do you remember when we were growing up when we would actually go into a thing called a bank, Yes, and we would do those kinds of things. I have my monthly calendar like that you slide, you know, underneath the glass, like the dude that would deny you the interest rate on your on your thirty seven dollars and twenty eight cents for your savings account when you're thirteen years old. You know, I've gotten that to go under glass. Yeah, I've got the calendar on the fridge because the boss and I have conflicting schedules in the fall m hm, and we do it in different colors, so it's like on this time, you're gone, this time, Oh we have a gap space. We're neither put anything on the calendar. So this is where that's where that goes. So yeah, there's I have four separate calendars, and the fourth one is the Google calendar. That I look at last because I don't know how to access it.
Speaker 3: You don't know how to access it.
Speaker 1: I well, like I said, I'm seven hundred and two years old, and anything technology is always a challenge. And so it's like, you know, Google Calendar, did it make it into the Google Calendar? And I'm like, I don't know. I just throw my phone down and I'm like, well.
Speaker 3: If it works for you, that seems a little chaotic for me in this hour of chaos, that seems like it'd be difficult to follow all of that.
Speaker 1: That's why, that's why I end up with just having basically the two here in the office and I ignore the other two. Yes, when it comes to the different versions of you that are out there these days, hmm, do you remember how many different how many different leagues have you called matches for this year, whether it is for Apple or for Paramount or CBS or Choice D all the above. Do you remember all the different leagues that you have called so far this year this year?
Speaker 3: Yes, In the past it would take me, it would take me a while. But this year, yeah, SETIAWEFA Champions League, the Conky CAFF Nations League, the NWSL and MLS and I think that's it.
Speaker 1: I think, how do you keep it all straight for the for the young and impressionable broadcasters out there that actually do watch the show against their better judgment, What advice would you give them to make sure that that everything doesn't mash and you're not talking about uh, you know, you're not talking about Eric Maxim Chupomo Tang when you're talking about Como you know one of those, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean well Eric maximum Moting did used to play for Byron Munich, so I guess finding the connections sort of helps.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I think in some ways a big part of of everything is just kind of to be a mile wide and maybe a foot deep. Maybe not an in Steve. I do think that in this sport it's incredibly hard to kind of be across everything. Part of it is the work necessitates it. So I host score Line on the Golotso network, which is an evening show five to six pm every night, where we kind of round out all the highlights, all the news, and and in doing that, yeah, get the plug in. But I really do think it's kind of instructive because the it is kind of from the beginning you're covering everything. So you start in segment A with the club Woral Cup, and segment B you talk of the women's zeros, and segment C you're talking MLS and and segment D you're talking about some big story about next European club season, and then some news and so it just necessitates it. So I'm a big reader. I read as much as I can. I do it the two thousand and seven way. I have a bunch of RSS feeds that that that I pull from, so I try and read as much as I possibly can. And and YouTube is actually an incredible service for me because look, to be honest, I cannot watch every major European game, every major MLS game, every major Cluboral Cup game, and so I spend a lot of time watching YouTube highlights and and and catching up on things to make sure I at least know the big things. And then when a really big game comes round, or it's on when I'm in the office, or it's on when I have free time, then I will put the actual full game on. But it really is just kind of taking in as much information as you possibly can and making sure that there are things that you know for certain, right you know who the players are a real Madrid and Barcelona on PSG, on the absolute big teams you talk about every single week, and then the rest you kind of use as preps. So I do think that there are certain things you kind of have to have as base knowledge that are inside your brain, not that you need to recall from memory or that you need to take notes on or whatever, but actually know. And that's kind of the beginning of it for me.
Speaker 1: How many devices do you have fired up at any one time when you're trying to keep up with things.
Speaker 3: So it's actually kind of funny. When we're in the office at CBS, there's a wall with twelve televisions, and so when I'm at that wall sometimes on a Europa League Thursday or on a Champions League Wednesday, every single one of those screens has a different game in it that and then you have, you know, a computer open or an iPad op. When I'm at home, it's usually kind of TV laptop iPad. Usually when I'm at home and I'm discovering I used to be. I'm of the NFL Red Zone generation, which is to say that I grew up on I was probably seventeen or eighteen years old when I watched for the first time, and it was like discovering a new world. And so I love the NFL red Zone and the whip around style. I have come to realize over time that if you need depth, it's not as useful as I wish it was, meaning like you see the key moments of the game, but you don't really get a sense for the game. And so I do think that there are times where I am sacrificing a little bit more, taking in more tonnage in exchange for taking in things at a little bit more quality. So if there are four games on, I might have two of them on, but I would prefer to have one of them on because if I'm really going to take in anything about any of the game, I need to pay attention to it. So two is kind of my maximum. And I even kind of figured out, like, all right, if if I have two games on, let's say on a Friday at CBS, it's a Bundesiga game and the SETIAG game, I'll kind of watch each in five minute intervals, So I'll watch five minutes here and then five minutes there. In the five minutes, so I'm trying to get some sense of the essence of the game and not just you know all there is a goal scored in the thirty eighth minute. You're actually getting an actual, real sense of what's going on.
Speaker 1: And I will ask you for your best Poppy Miller story, considering Poppy is one of our plus ones, he's one of our ogs here. Yeah, going back to the Charleston Battery days, you got it exactly, that's when we started. Next. Oh, by the way, next time you see Poppy do this. Next time you see Poppy, ask her the next time she's going to do a P block. Okay, because that was literally we would do a Charleston Battery show and it would be you know, a block, B block, C block. She would always be the end, she'd be the anchor lag and it was always the P block.
Speaker 3: That's brilliant, all right, It'll know that I know a bit about her past.
Speaker 1: Yes, So next year, go up and ask her about the P block next time you next time you see her, we are going to talk to Chris about soccer and Major League Soccer. Yes, I know, but considering this is his maiden voyage here in Office HD and on the Morning Show, I figured we'd try to let everybody know. It's like, oh, there's Chris Whittingham, and then there's obviously questions. I guess let's do the Since worth the halfway point of the season for Major League Soccer, we can do the senior superlatives right now. Biggest surprise for you at this point of the Major League Soccer season here in twenty twenty five would be blank.
Speaker 3: Team or player. Yes, actually it's kind of one and the same. I'll go for Nashville SC and Sam Surage because I do think that Sam Surridge was brought in as such a key piece as the designated player is meant to be the final piece for Gary Smith in Nashville, and he just was never able to get a striker online. I really thought that Surridge was at some point going to head back to England, head back to the championship, a place that he's more comfortable and more familiar with. But he stuck it out with a new coach, and all of a sudden he's the Golden Boot leader. And he scored two more goals in the Open Cup in midweek, and Nashville I think could be well on their way to win that trophy. Actually, actually that actually could be a really good semi final. Should Philadelphia advance ahead of the Red Bulls when they make up that game. But Nashville Philly are right now the top two in the East, and it would be two of the top three in the East. It would be a really good game. So having just seen them at Yotis Park, I think that Nashville are the surprise of the season, given how good they've been and kind of how little expectation we had for them. I was going through for preseason predictions and because I had Nashville Philly this past weekend, Nashville was predicted to finish tenth and Philly was predicted to finish twelfth, And so honestly, you could pick one of those two teams as the biggest surprises. But I do think that Nashville and Sam Surreig as the Golden boot leader in a league with Lionel Messi in it is certainly a big surprise.
Speaker 1: I've heard of that dude coach of the Year? Is it Vus? Is it Carnell? Who is it for you?
Speaker 3: You could also include bj Callahan for that turnaround work kind of in the same realm. You can definitely throw yesper Sorenson in there, though Vancouver has fallen off in the last few weeks. I just think having been around into Miami for their expansion build, when I was down there in Miami and I was around the team and I was the radio announcer in that first year, and how difficult everything was, and even they were trying to go for big names and landing everything and landing that plane and developing a style. And I appreciate that San Diego, if anything, has more assets, as it were, to kind of go at the Major League soccer season, but to put that all together, to have some players that you're getting a ton out of college draft picks, even Chris McVeagh at center back. I'm going San Diego and Mikey Varrus because it's not just that they're good, which is hard enough as an expansion team. And I appreciate that that Saint Louis were first in the West under Bradley Carnell, and that some expansion teams have come int the league and done well. I still think though, that to not just be that good, but it has such a clear sense of who they want to be, their style of play, and honestly be one of the best footballing teams in the league from day one, when you're kind of throwing it all together and figuring out answers and you have no prior information on how it's all going to work, is incredibly impressive, especially considering I do think that that appointment was probably considered to be a bit underwhelming. I appreciate he was the under twenty national team coach, but I'm not certain he kind of came away from that with a huge amount of credit, So it was a bit of a risk. Everyone there has been taking risks in San Diego, but it's all paid off. And honestly, if I lived in southern California, I'd want to go to every game because it's it's entertaining, it's fun. Even though they lost last weekend in Houston, it's a four to three game, it was awesome. So I think the how defined they are in their identity is well deserving of the credit for me of Coach of the Year.
Speaker 1: And at the same time, you got dudes that aren't that are not even household names in their own household doing well. Yeah, I get Taverskov Anders Dryer. Unless you really know your Orange County sc you may not know who Neil and Nilaski is no. I mean you're you're piecing all this stuff together and it's like nah, mikey Arrius is like not, no, fam I got this.
Speaker 3: And also not even necessarily with Chuki Lozano going crazy, right, it's not like he's had in unbelieve or they brought you know, I mean he's he's you know, six goal seven, This is pretty decent. But it's not like, you know, you brought in three big name vps or they signed Kevin de Bruyne and Kevin de Brune's bosting. And it's with players that are as you say, not household names, that are that are getting it done.
Speaker 1: All right, So since we've done the good, we can either do the bad or the ugly. And if it's the same in the good old GBU, that can apply. So the bad for you here at this particular point of the season.
Speaker 3: I think you gotta go Atlanta United, And and I do appreciate that it's it's not the best time to say it, because Garth locker Way certainly sending our best to him after yesterday's reveal d had a cancer diagnosis, wishing the best to him, but with everything that they've spent I predicted them. I think they finished second or third in the Eastern Conference, and it just hasn't come off. It just hasn't come off. There's something about the combination of players about Lati, Lata, al Midan and Midanchuk that just isn't working U And even last week they played DC United a playout on nil all draw. That wasn't a brilliant game there. I think relying too much on pieces that aren't delivering for them right now when based off of expectations, I don't there's a team that's underperformed to that level, and honestly, it would be hard. You'd be hard pressed to see them in a playoff spot this year. So considering that they're thirteenth in the East, they won four out of their twenty games, I just can't see anyone else as being the answer to this question. And I still kind of think that there's a team somewhere in there, but you're getting to the point of the season where you're kind of having to write it off.
Speaker 1: What about lag.
Speaker 3: Leg of course, I mean, of course, but at least there are mitigating circumstances. The Ricky Pooch injury, the amount of injuries they had preseason, the fact that they had to lose guys because of the salary cap because it was getting expensive for them to keep their team, and losing Yeovilich as well, who's proven himself in Kansas City. There are a lot of mitigating circumstances there. It still is the champion going from, you know, winning everything to be playing some of the best soccer in the league. Two wins in the whole season, So I definitely agree with you, but I think we were kind of expecting, with the number of key players that left, for them to take at least a little bit of a step back. I still thought that'd be a playoff team, and I thought pack and Payn's so he could carry the day, but they haven't quite so I do think that Galaxy are certainly an enormous disappointment, But I still think that man Atlanta, and part of that is sort of the money spent and you can kind of get lost in off season headlines, but Galaxy are certainly up there. But for me, Atlanta's that a little bit bigger of a disappointment.
Speaker 1: Chris Whittingham and he is hanging out with us here for another couple of minutes, and like I said, hopefully he's not going to be like Macaulay Culkin and home alone, coming down the stairs and running off into the distance after this particular segment is over. By the way, I do want to let you know now that you do have the garage door opener here to Office HD. You can crash at any time if you're bored on a Friday. There's ten thirty on a Friday, and beyond when we're putting the last half hour of the weekend, you can come in, sit there and say I want to get this off my chest and turn off your microphone, turn off your microwave because apparently your breakfast is ready or something.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it was, my phone ringer, My apologies.
Speaker 1: Yes, du Look we had Jamie Watson on the first half hour and he had he had his daughter Grayland come in as a studio audience. Look, it is what it is.
Speaker 3: You've got kids running around there. It's very difficult to keep them out of the room for for enough time to do a full radio hit without distraction.
Speaker 1: Well, and get this, she pounded an entire pez sleeve at the end of the segment.
Speaker 3: Wow, So I'm actually in Connecticut. The PEZ factory is around here.
Speaker 1: I love PZ.
Speaker 3: I love PEZ, so I feel I haven't had one in a long time. Have to go around, all right.
Speaker 1: So you've got the PEZ factory, You've got the w w E headquarters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I used to live right down the street. Used to be able to walk to the w W headquarters.
Speaker 1: See. Now that's the thing. But I don't know if you wanted to paint you know, the DX.
Speaker 3: Logo likes even great if I did.
Speaker 1: Paint a DX logo on your way that do that at the CBS studios. Just painting a big old D S. I'm sorry, it was just an old address. Who you calling this weekend?
Speaker 3: Charlotte again. It'st New York City from Bank of America State. Which is a fun one because I have actually never been to Charlotte before, despite the fact that I have connected through that airport, yeah probably about fifty times. Yes, And so the fact that I actually finally get to walk out of the airport, I don't even know what to do where to go when I when I come through there, there's the Chick fil A, there's a lounge of there, and the Lego store and the food court with the Jersey mics. I'm so familiar with the airport, but yes, I've never actually walked out of it, so I have no idea what I'm gonna do. Uh, let's see, So Doug, Well, the thing is is that when you walk out of Douglas, you actually since it's like fifteen to twenty, literally you're flying into Douglas and it's like trees. You see downtown often the distance and you're, yeah, I need to go there, and you're flying.
Speaker 1: Into like Raleigh or something trying to land. I imagine that you're staying downtown close to the stadium. There are a lot of pretty decent eateries that are around mm hm, so I think you'll you'll be in good stead. Just just kind of kick the tires on yelp and see if there's anything like barbecueis or I don't know what your window is for hanging out. Are you like leaving later today?
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm actually leaving first thing Saturday morning, so it's it's really only a lunch window.
Speaker 1: Okay, So there should be some stuff downtown, so it just kick the yelp fires and you should be fair enough, all right. So Dean Smith and we talked about this before you came on. Dean Smith apparently is comparing the EFL Championship to Major League Soccer, saying that they're about the same. Considering that big Pat Patrick Godjamong had a I think it was a seven million dollar offer from Darby County heading to Charlotte. I would play Hollywood Squares and go. I disagree circle gets the square with Dean Smith and comparing the EFL Championship to Major League Soccer. But there so there's some there's some subtexts and things going on in Charlotte within MYYC coming to town. What do you when you're looking at it from thirty thousand feet as you're landing in Douglas, what do you see?
Speaker 3: Well, I do think talking about that particular discussion, I do think because we have the EFL at CBS, and I do think that it's so interesting when we talk about league comparisons, even like, for example, this whole thing with the Saudi Pro League compared to a league like MLS. I do think that, for example, the best teams in the Saudi Pro League are as you sawt the Club World Cup. One of them beat Manster City better than most MLS teams. But I do think that the worst team in that league is significantly worse than the worst MLS team, and so I do think that for Charlotte and for Dean Smith making that comparison, I think if you were going to Sheffield United, if switch one of the teams that you would expect to be competing for promotion to the Premier League, that is a higher level. Darby County was in League One two seasons ago, was promoted ahead of last season, and last year finished nineteenth in the Championship. I think that is a lateral move, if not maybe a bit of a step down from playing for Charlotte. So I do think that Dean Smith has a good point in that respect. It's not just about the league, it's about do you have kind of that upward mobility. You would have to have a great season there to maybe get a move to one of those top championship clubs to then maybe get to the Premier League. At some point you're kind of several years away from being where you want to be in European football, and I do think that there is a temptation now with as much as we talk about Europe, Europe, Europe, eure up Europe for American players to not kind of smell the rosen and go well, is there an actual path to development or an actual path to where I want to get to by going to Darby County as opposed to an actual club that can offer that kind of on the flip side within the same club, but deals in Milanda is being Lenkel with a move to PSV. That's different because you're playing at the top of the Dutch League. They won the Dutch League last year. They're playing in the Champions League, and so if you want to move to the Champions League, that's a different thing than moving to the team that finished nineteenth in the Championship. So I think at that point it is interesting. And then with Charlotte and the overall dealing with that in the middle of a pretty rough losing streaker or a winless run, a run where they have not been good for more than a month now, I think that's kind of difficult for Dean Smith to sort out. You go back to their last game against Orlando, they're tuneil up and they're unable to hang on to a lead at home, which is a difficult spot to be in. I think Orlando are better than Charlotte right now, so you can understand why. But Charlote got to figure out how to close out results because I had them in Kansas City.
Speaker 1: They were one nill up.
Speaker 3: Into second half stopic Simon lost the game two one, So they got to figure out how to ice games away, which I wouldn't have thought would have been a problem for them considering how good they were defensively last year, but it has now become a problem. They're actually one of the bottom half teams in the East in terms of defending, So I think they got to figure some things out and then try and sort out the situation with Ajima.
Speaker 1: And when you've had Christian Colleena between the sticks basically saving your bacon every single week out whether what your back line is looking like, he is turning into a mortal human being at times, and so that's something that you have to take into the too account of this.
Speaker 3: Also, Yeah, I mean last year, if you go by the advance, that's he saved eleven goals. I think it was last year, and this year, like you say, he's kind of become just more of a normal MLS goalkeeper. Been decent, but not been as good as he was last season and at one point kind of you know, missed two games and David Bingham took over. So yeah, when you don't have all world goalkeeping, can you afford to kind of sit back in a deep block and defend even at home? They have thirty three percent possession last week against Orlando. I think that's a figure that has to go up. They have to try and control games a bit more through midfield and with the ball, So I think there's definitely some things for them to figure out.
Speaker 1: You realize, of course that your Europe it's going to turn into a drop by the way on the show when you said Europe to end up being a drop.
Speaker 3: For the really and it is what And it's kind of interesting. We just went through a Gold Cup where Mauricio Pochtino picked some players that were in MLS head of the players that were kind of in that second tier of European teams, and those guys in those second tier European teams are going wait a second, I thought the whole thing was for me to go to Europe so that I can get the attention of the national team and a new coach is coming and say, well, really that big of a step up. I don't think it is. So I think it's interesting that that whole motivation of everyone must get to Europe now is maybe not quite the same thing, because not all European clubs are the same. Go to Uventus is a much different thing than going to I don't know, go Ahead Eagles in the Dutch Air divis or something like that.
Speaker 1: Uh see, now, now you're gonna have me go and try and find if I can get gear from go Ahead Eagles office. HD. Uh Now, it has been an absolute blast having you drop by. I know that you're you're you're in your time of trying to get everything squared away so you can hop on a flight, flying to Douglas, going to downtown, catch a match and all those kinds of things. So I cannot thank you enough for dropping by.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Like I said, you've got the garage door opener, So you know that on Friday's or shoot, any other day of the week you want to come in and parachute it. Look Terren's if you ever talk to Tyler, Tyler has come in three times in a week because and literally we had we had kindra on. Uh, we had kindra on and he was in the Cincinnati Airport. He literally was at CVG and he got through security, parachuted in, gave Kendra some grief for two menu and it's went to Soborro and check out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that sounds like Terren's. We used to work at Sirius. I think he still works at Serious x M and they had like a like a call in line for for fans to call in and give their hot takes about games as they were happening. And I think the person who use it the most was Terren. So that does not surprise me whatsoever.
Speaker 1: So as always, it's great to see. Thanks for coming on. Do not be a stranger. You know that the that the carpet is out, and so anytime you want to come in and chat, just let us know you got You've got my deats. I think as the kids say, so time you want to drop in, Chris, it's always cool. Thanks again for being on Friday. Be safe, have a great call Sea soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for having John. Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: You got it. There goes Chris Whittingham. Chris Whittingham survived his first visit. He survived his first visit. This is what we bring in Jared Smith and so Jared's in here on a Friday. So, how are things in the Mountain time zone, sir?
Speaker 7: They're going well, how are things in the Eastern time zone sir?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, we had the news on Edwin Muschatta come out this morning that it is officially a year long loan to me in ours.
Speaker 7: It's not mistaken. Twenty twenty six is an option year two for Edwin. Yeah, so this is functionally a he's loaned out until he's gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so that was the question that Michael had in the twitch pitch.
Speaker 7: Basically, if they don't renew, if he's not bought, because there's an option to buy, if he's not bought, I cannot see a world in which Atlanta is going to pick up that option in twenty because it's a club option in twenty Yeah. So yeah, this is Edwin is functionally gone from the club.
Speaker 1: And I was trying to break down Edwin where Edwin needs reps, needs consistent playing time, needs to start, needs to continue to develop. He wasn't getting that with it Land United. There were some things that you saw from Fast Eddie. You got to see the thirty minutes driving people crazy, You got to see the imagination at times, but he needed he needs a place to have regular reps first and.
Speaker 7: Foremost he does. Yeah, he needs to be somewhere where he's going to play consistently. So yeah, that's that's kind of the most important thing I think for him is he needs to play consistently and needs to be somewherehere he's comfortable. And it's something you run into a lot of times with players is if they're not comfortable, they need to be somewhere where they are, Yeah, and if that's not going to be here, then you need to get him somewhere and look for for all of the all of the like gravel Road that has been this club for the last number of years, they've done a pretty good job of taking care of guys, you know, even going back to the Carls Caromona thing in twenty eighteen. You know, through different players through the years. If someone's got to go for personal reasons, they've done a pretty good job of that. Even Edwins everyone was a weird one when he was at bah God back in twenty twenty two. I think when he was in or twenty three when he was in UH defense that he was DC and Argentina alone. They canceled alone and Atlanta took him back and it created that U twenty two backlog were uh uh or Franco Abada got shipped out to Toronto. But it was a weird situation then because you can't like once the EJA cancels the loan. Yeah, you you don't really have room for him, but you kind of have to take him back because if you don't, then you know, what you're doing by doing that is you're maintaining the relationship with them. You're you're not You're trying not to, you know, burn down a forest, right, and it puts you in a weird spot, but you maintain a more essional relationship with them. But you you're also trying to take care of guys. You So if it's not working for him, you're bringing him back from somewhere where it's not working and it might be impacting him on a personal level. So now you're he he is. I think he's made overtures on social media to wanting moves well.
Speaker 1: Granted, yeah, I mean and because he was wearing and he was wearing I think Millionarios gear yesterday.
Speaker 7: On social Oh he's been doing this since like uh, preseason like he's been. He's been. I think he's been ready to move since pre season. And in credit to him, like he went out that he scored the opener. He was dangerous when he got on the field. He was professional about it on the field, I think, and did his job. But if he wanted to go, then wish granted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then uh, you've got that coming into the matchup with Toronto, Toronto's slight favorite at home. They've lost four or six in senior Bernardeski gone and now Robin Frasier kind of gets to blend the team the way that he would like. And you've got two struggling sides and we're going to see today practice. I guess at the end of practice, if Brad Gazan is going to look like Batman the Phantom of the Opera, if it's gonna be Jagan Hibberts.
Speaker 7: I think you're gonna I think you would. I think you would have to chain Brad to the wall to keep him from playing. He is that kind of psychopath about it all. He is a gamer. He is very old school in this way. I think you would have to have, like you have to chain him to the wall. Like hunch back and note of doom. Yes, to keep him from playing in this game. But that being said, this will be an interesting one. This is a John. This is for me personally. This is kind of a we're checking the nerves right now to see if there's any life left where we're seeing if there is any twitch, any electricity running through this brain of this season, because damn things.
Speaker 1: All that done.
Speaker 7: You've got to point it DC at A that game was like room temperature water out of the tap in terms of blandness. And David Brad got kicked in the face in the DC game. He took if you remember in the DC game if you watched it. If not, well here's your update. He Luisa Brom caught him across the face while Brad went down for a ball and Abrom was trying to get it. It was just kind of a bad timing situation. But Brad went down for a ball, a Brom.
Speaker 1: Kind of kicking in the face. Yeah, so Brad was unfortunate. YEA. Luis is going backward trying to defend. Brad is coming forward trying to grab the ball and Luis's left knee I think as he's going past Brad hits Brad on the left side of his face and they diagnosed a fractured cheek bone.
Speaker 7: So he had surgery this week. He's going to want to play, Like I said, the man, it's very Brad is very old school about this, always has been, always will be, I think. But he's gonna want to play. But yeah, that game was pretty damn tapped against DC. If you can like drag a win out of this game, yeah, at least shows It doesn't mean that your season is saved, because I'm gonna be honest with you, John, I don't think it can be saved at this point. It doesn't mean like I would love to eat Crow. I'd love for them to pull like a twenty, like a twenty seventeen twenty eighteen Sounder kind of vibe.
Speaker 1: That'd be great.
Speaker 5: Would would would.
Speaker 7: Enjoy that thoroughly. Yeah, I don't know that they can. I don't think they can whole damn seasons on live support at this point, and it kind of feels like we're just keeping it there to keep it there. But if you can pull three points out of this game, you at least show me that that maybe a couple of key people are still are still out there fighting and scrapping. Yep, you'll you draw this game. We're just kind of where we are. You'll lose this game, and I don't know, man, Like it's I don't know where you don't what's whatever's below bedrock? Just depending on how the game goes, Like, if you lose it one nothing on like a deflection or a weird penalty that sucks the most he gets out of hand, then yeah, then you have you have found something below bedrock. But until they play the game, Yeah, there's no way to know for sure, man. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right now, Atlanta's at eighteen points twenty matches, so fourteen match to go eighteen points, ten points out of the playing round, and Toronto is a point behind them at four eleven and five at twenty matches played fourteen to go seventeen points that are attached to Toronto as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and.
Speaker 7: Objects and mirror closer than they appear. Look, Galaxy only have two wins, but not as far behind you as you would be comfortable with right now. Yeah, it's just been. It's it's been. It's been a shit year on multiple fronts. The Garth loger Way News, Yeah, talked about hitting. Yeah, man, that hits harder than just about anything. For those of you that haven't interacted with Garth is a very big personality. Yes, has never been anything other than very cordial and pleasant and fun to talk to. And this always kind of gets into the thing where when people start getting antsy about sports jobs of wanting wanting people done. Because I felt this way about Carlos and Darren and Douw Garth as well, I promise you these guys don't want to fail. For Garth, this is a This was a taking it to the sporting side of it for a minute away from the human side. We'll get to that. This was a different challenge for Garth. Like he had been that technical director before, this was him taking on a spot that was a step higher where he had the final say on things. And this was going to be a very different and more broad chapter in his career as an executive. And hopefully that career is not done in terms of, like you know, hopefully he's hopefully he is able to recover to the point where he's comfortable coming back in and doing his job, because I promise he was a tense, stressful, draining kind of job, especially at a club like Atlanta that has expectations and money and desires left right at center right now. I hope Garth isn't worrying about that, even though he will, yes, even in the pressers like he's going to be getting information from Demetrios and Chris and yeah, it's like, you know, he's going to get updates. You know, he's gonna be asking for updates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope he's going to be that guy's like, so, how was it today, Well, you put your phone down, you know.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I'm hopeful that he can put his phone down enough to just enjoy time with his family and recover and just get back to one hundred percent were close to it is a damn well camp. Look, this club isn't going anywhere in this in the sense of it's not like it's going to vanish every night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you.
Speaker 7: Know, hopefully Earth can just catch his breath, recover, fight through this and we'll all be here when he's in remission.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so that's what that's what we're staring at. And we talked about Garth in our number one, talked about at Lanty Knight. Chris Whittingham discussed at Landy United coming, you know, with him, but he was looking at it the halfway point, considering the expectations that he had with it. Landy United not alone in his assessments.
Speaker 7: It's the most it is for me, the most disappointing performance in the league this season from where expectations were to what they are. I I I think it's I think it's they are the most disappointing team this year, and that some look, someone always has to someone's always going to be in the stocks. Yeah, and this year it's you, Atlanta, And that sucks doesn't mean it stays like that forever. That's why we enjoy good times when they happen, because they don't last forever. It's why we don't burn everything down when they are bad times. Right, Those don't last forever.
Speaker 1: Either, Right. So it's it's navigating it as best you can and trying to see where you know where it is on a daily basis. Okay, I was somewhat teasing a special guest star, and as it turns out, special guest star has made it. We have to work on avatars, but a special guest star has made it. Jessica Charman joins us to wrap up the week. So yess, long time they talk.
Speaker 9: Hello.
Speaker 10: I could not let you down today. It has been quite the flaking process.
Speaker 9: John.
Speaker 10: If people could see our text chat, it is just me saying, hey, I'll do it next week. Hey, I'll do it tomorrow. So I'm very glad, you know me. I am a woman of my word as much as I can be. But life has been a little hectic lately. But so glad I can be back with the Ogs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is a tease that we're also going to have you early next week as well, but we're not divulging that reason until it's officially official. But it'll be good to have you on for a couple of shows this week and next. I wanted to discuss some things, starting off with the Club World Cup and how incredibly jealous I am that you have and es pronounced the Tunisi jersey and I do not.
Speaker 10: I mean, I don't know if you want what comes with having that jersey, John, because I am viral in Tunisia. Viral yeah, yeah, so like the equivalent of BBC Sport, Tunisia picked up my post and when I say again, like five hundred followers, all of which are like Tunisi and middle aged man, no issue with it, Like, absolutely fine, it is what it is. I'm glad that they support me. But it was quite surreal going on Facebook for you and it being me a photo of me with like Arabic options.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I mean, it wasn't on my bingo.
Speaker 10: List of my club World Cup experience, but it was pretty freaking cool. And honestly, those fans, like Flamengo was really really cool as well. But the Brazilian teams got their love and rightly so, you know. But I think if there was one team that maybe didn't get as much attention as they deserved, it was the Esperanz fans who were incredible. And I mean even the fact that we were in Philadelphia with them, and then I think it was Nashville. I'm trying to remember that was all the place. It was Nashville, right, Okay, good memory, Jess, and so like for them to be able to travel and the embedded reporter was telling me they had traveled some from Tunisia, from Dubai, from France, from Canada, like because it's such a worldwide team. I just think for people to spend their money to come watch their soccer team is a beautiful.
Speaker 1: Thing, no doubt, Jared for Jess talking Club World Cup and other stuff.
Speaker 7: Go for it, all right, let's cut to the chase. I want to talk about goalkeepers, and I want to talk about goalkeepers. Possible people and keepers getting yelled at on social media for doing their job even though they stretched their bodies out and and put themselves in incredibly dangerous spots, and then other people in the GTA union calling them out.
Speaker 10: But we're evil, right, We're evil goalkeepers that only have the intention of hurting others. This like being a goalkeeper, as you know, Jared, is bloody hard, right, Like, it's not easy.
Speaker 7: It's a suicidal activity.
Speaker 10: You literally dive in head first and everyone's like, oh, they have the advantage, they can use their hands, well not really, like okay, in an aerial duel, Okay, a goalie has the advantage. But when you're laying yourself flat out when someone's running at you full sprint, it's a dang accident.
Speaker 9: Like is it horrendous? Yeah? Have I been in this situation? I still remember that was a.
Speaker 10: Game I was playing for Watford where I went in for a really awkward challenge like that and I got the ball my momentum took me through the lady's leg and I heard a noise that sounded.
Speaker 9: Like I broke a leg. I don't know what happened.
Speaker 10: They ended up having, like the medical team taken, but I was shaken up about it. But it wasn't a malicious thing. It's just the nature of the beast. And how often is it the goalkeeper on the other end of it. I mean, as someone that witnessed peta Check getting absolutely steamrolled by Stephen Hunt, these things happen, and nine times out of the ten it's the goalkeeper that's worth for where But when the goalkeeper gets worth for where everyone says it was an accident, or is their momentum, or they couldn't stop their running, or they jumped over the keeper and they tried. But when it's the goalkeeper making the mistake, there's not the same.
Speaker 9: Benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 10: And that's where I think that we need to realize that the goalkeepers make mistakes with timings. Absolutely, but at the same time you're throwing your face into someone's boots, like, are you really the one making the malicious act?
Speaker 9: I don't think so.
Speaker 7: Well, that's the thing. It's like you're in that instance. And I feel for don Over because when you watch the sole emotions like oh man, that sucks that he rolled up his ankle. Also the person whose leg he's broke seems cool with it was like, hey man, that's this games, maybe that's the sport. But also so often when you see those in freeze frame, how close it is to a goalkeeper getting kicked in the face, Like you're putting your face down there where someone's freeze frame.
Speaker 10: That kills me because everyone wants to like freeze frame where they're saying he's laughing or whatever, like do we know that? Like I don't think he was laughing. It was a weird freeze frame. But this day and age, it's like the same with var right. You can freeze frame or slow mo anything to get the right conclusion that you want. And that's not a football move, you know, if football takes place in full speed where people are making last ditch moments and if anything, I thought maybe the defender had a role in like the way that he shielded the ball made it really awkward, But no one's blaming the defender.
Speaker 9: You know, it's always the goalie's fault.
Speaker 7: Okay, we did okay, okay, yes, because I also had this argument with the US national team in God, was it the Costa Rica game where Freeze misplays the ball because Tim reen plays him this gopher hunting, Yeah, this gopher hunting rocket ball that he has to like he's as he's getting closed down where he can't take another touch to settle it. And it's like it's Likeez has to do better with that. Your or your center back could not like fire it into you from twenty feet away down.
Speaker 9: Funny because with the modern game, everyone.
Speaker 10: Expects goalkeepers to have the distribution of midfielders. And look, a lot of goalkeepers do have really good distribution now. Just look at Hannah Hampton in the Euros with that pass through for Lauren James's goal. Remarkable passing range for goalkeepers now. But the end of the day, you want them to be the best shot stoppers, the best decision makers, the best vocal goalkeepers, the best one on ones, the best you know, dominating their box. But you also want them to have better footwork than your midfielder, like chill out, like what a goalkeepers meant to be?
Speaker 9: Literally superhuman?
Speaker 10: Like it's at some point we're going to sacrifice, shot stopping, and I think we're already seeing it with some goalkeeper shot stopping or other key components of a goalkeeper because they've got better footwork. And look, I get it, goalkeepers need to be an outlet, but at the end of the day, not criticize him at the same level for their footwork as you can a defender.
Speaker 9: And I loved him.
Speaker 10: Reem for the time he had a Charlotte when I was there. But at the end of the day, if I'm a goalkeeper, and maybe Matt Freeze needs to be more vocal. We've seen him in the it was freezing the Atlantic United game right with the the era where like it.
Speaker 9: Was shielded back to him or he didn't come get it that kind of thing. Yeah, Freeze didn't. He needs to be more vocal as a goalkeeper.
Speaker 10: Like for me, if I'm heed off at my defenders, I hold them accountable. I don't think Freeze, and we've seen it in a couple of moments for country and for club gives enough of that. Like I would love to just see him like call Tim Reim out even though he's a veteran, like because as a goalkeeper, we should protect ourselves by being very when someone screwed U sober so, Jared.
Speaker 1: Do you want to go ahead and say the word pissed?
Speaker 7: Oh mean, I already got us, I already got us the explicit rating this morning. You can get his puss as you want to. Doesn't matter, Yeah, because because also also you could just repeat everything Brad Guzanne says, because Brad Guzane gets an explicit rating eight seconds after heruls out of bed. I'm pretty sure yes, because you talk about yes, but you talk about like being that vocal guy like I will never like lives rent free. In my head is the twenty nineteen US Open Cup with it Land and Charleston. They played behind closed doors in Kennesaw. The only two voices you could hear in that stadium, Lauder Clear was Brad yelling and on and on in the stand. Leandro Pirez was not playing in the game, but he was sitting in the stand and you could hear that hoarse voice of his yelling at everyone on the field.
Speaker 10: I mentioned in a lifetime that is insane. What a throwback that is?
Speaker 7: How he just got his B and C license?
Speaker 1: Wow? Yeah, uh so let me, Jess, let me ask you this going back to the Musiala Donor Ruma thing. When Manuel Noyer comes out postmatch says what he says, basically throwing another keeper under the bus when all you've got to do is look at file photos and file tape of Manuel Noyer going knees up and elbows up and all this kind of stuff. What did you think about Noyer and Frankly, the sporting director for Bayern saying what they said, throwing Donor Ruma under the bus for And I understand, I get the whole team thing and trying to be supportive, but they went over the line I thought when it came to what they were saying post match, blaming don Ruma for the whole thing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think you have to be really careful where it comes with intention.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 10: It reminded me of do you remember the Rex and one when Paul Mullen had his lung collapse. Yeah, Parkey came out and was like talking about his character and all of that as the goalkeeper, even though it was like a young goalkeeper making mistake and that's not really the same with the level of experience, level of.
Speaker 9: Pay that these goalkeepers get.
Speaker 10: I think that you have to be so careful when you talk about someone's intention and also someone's character, which even if you don't directly say it, that's what those sorts of comments.
Speaker 9: Kind of talk about, right, They inflect.
Speaker 10: About someone's character, about someone's decision making. I understand protecting your teammate.
Speaker 9: You're shocked. It's horrible.
Speaker 10: I mean, it looked disgustingly, to be honest, it was a nasty injury to look at. You're emotional, you're maybe not thinking, but take a deep breath and be very careful because as you've mentioned, like if you're that goalkeeper, you feel like rubbish. Anyway you've been a part of that, every human being would feel like rubbish.
Speaker 9: To rub it in is pretty crappy.
Speaker 10: And then, as we always talk about, the GK union is a really real thing. Like I know it sounds mythical, but there's a really special connection between goalkeepers because they really do have a unique mindset, a unique loneliness, a unique responsibility. I mean, being a goalkeeper is the best and the worst thing that happened to me. It's lonely, it's difficult, it's emotional. I lost a lot of sleep. I mean, you're the enemy half of the time. And you're the hero maybe one in a million times. So that goalkeeper Union thing is huge, and I think that in that moment, you can say I was shocked about the tackle, but I understand these things happen in the speed of the modern game or something like that. But it leaves a poor taste in my mouth yet again, because the more you look at it, the more I just don't think it's a malicious thing. And Okay, the guy's hurt, that sucks, but we can't claim that it's malicious without really knowing or being the only person that knows that is the goalkeeper involved.
Speaker 1: All right, how many teams did you? And you were paired with Danny for the whole time? Right, for a time, I was.
Speaker 10: With Danny until Danny got elevated. I got kicked out at the end of the group's day. Danny continued on.
Speaker 9: But that's okay, I'm not sort and I'm kidding.
Speaker 10: It's fine. It was my first ever work for the UK. I was not expecting a knockout round. When I signed up.
Speaker 9: I knew I was getting six group stage games with UH.
Speaker 10: I had six games with six teams, so it was really nice because I saw every team I did twice, which was really good. By the end of the tournament that you know the teams, because when you have six games in twelve days with a whole different bunch of rosters, pronunciations teams, it was a lot, but it was amazing and I was really proud of myself because I broke the stereotype. And some of the English audience might not have liked it because they're used to people say Martin, what do they say in England Martinez or whatever?
Speaker 9: They say? You know what I mean.
Speaker 10: They can't say the names. But I nailed the pronunciations, and the amount of tweets I got like, does this girl speak Arabic because she is pronouncing the names correctly?
Speaker 9: Wow?
Speaker 10: Is this lady from Brazil because she's pronouncing their names amazingly.
Speaker 9: Yes, So that was pretty cool.
Speaker 10: I was very proud because anyone that knows English commentators, the stereotype is that they butcher pronunciations and anglicize everything.
Speaker 9: I will not be that person.
Speaker 10: Guys, so love it or hate it and repeat how it comes out of the player's mouth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when when their mom, when their mom wants to have a conversation with him and bring them in for dinner? How did they how do they call their name? That's basically the question that I always ask.
Speaker 10: The one that was annoying me, though, is like ads is how you say it? But nobody was doing it right and that bothered me.
Speaker 1: Well, but you got it right though exactly.
Speaker 9: I sounded like I speak Arabic. So there you go, boys, all right?
Speaker 1: So I asked Jamie Watson about this when Jamie was on at the beginning of the show.
Speaker 10: Oh, Jamie's worked with me, did you ask you should have asked him about me?
Speaker 9: Jamie? Do you know?
Speaker 10: Do you want to know what Jamie did in my MLS debut? It was It was not my It was my second MLS game. I did my MS debut with Devin Cut. My first game with Jamie Watson. A player got hit in the man parts and I said the word, well, that one was quite pay I'm sure that one was very painful.
Speaker 9: Jamie said, yeah, it was.
Speaker 10: We've all been there before, and then took a really awkward pause and said, well, not all of us, I suppose, and.
Speaker 9: We could very.
Speaker 10: It was quite the Yes, it was a good moment, But the issue was they literally zoomed in on the gentleman like rearranging his package. Oh my guys, I know we have a male audience predominant. Well no, not in MLS. We have a very female audience too. Maybe the females would like that, who knows. But when you have a female play by play, let's try not to cut to the close up of the man rearranging his genitalia, because what do you.
Speaker 9: Want me to say?
Speaker 1: Special delivery? Maybe?
Speaker 10: No, John, it was my second game. I had to play it safe.
Speaker 9: You know now that I like this.
Speaker 10: Weekend his game number six, I can take a few more risks.
Speaker 1: Basically, it's dead air. You have Jamie take it if it's match name number two. Uh. We were all looking at teams and the players that we were watching from the teams that we don't get the chance to watch like you got Esperance and a couple of others that are not part of our normal viewing habits. Who are some of the players that you think folks here on this side of the Atlantic should be grabbing from rosters on the other side of the Atlantic and bringing them in as a part of Major League Soccer. Who are some of your standouts from some clubs?
Speaker 9: Well, I know he's.
Speaker 10: Had some controversy, so I'm not even sure if it's a possibility. But you said, Balily is incredible, And I was so disappointed when he picked up the second yellow card for diving, because then he missed the third game for Esperance, and I think it would have been a really different match for them if he'd have been able to play. He's just incredible, electric explosives, so talented, so love what he did, really passionate player. Obviously saw him score the goal, So you said, Balily fantastic. I do think it was kind of hard that he got that yellow card. I don't think it was a penalty. For me, simulation needs to be like a true dive, not over selling it, do.
Speaker 9: You know what I mean? Like, I don't like players over selling it.
Speaker 10: But if there's a little bit of contact and you feel it and you go down, that's not to me what the yellow card is for, do you know what I mean? I just don't think you've ruled out the penalty. Do you need to give a yellow card there when he did feel contact? And again we go back to football playing moves. Anyone that's been running full speed and gets even a touch, sometimes you do go to ground because you're caught off balance.
Speaker 9: So love Baliley.
Speaker 10: I don't think he'll ever come to him less because he's playing for Al Hilal, but Salemo Dossre is so good as well.
Speaker 9: He I think he.
Speaker 10: Pulled his hammy in the second game. I did so he missed the rest of Al Hilao's incredible run, but I thought he was absolutely amazing. And then again, never gonna go. But you're seeing Bono what a goalkeeper man. It was just lovely to watch him play in person. Absolutely love that Wallace Yan was pretty good. But he's going to go for big money. Honestly, guys, I hate to say, if they're playing in club walk up with the money that they're getting, it's going to be pretty difficult. I liked watching Hugo Lauris play again, and it was kind of cool to know that I commentated Juru's last game for LAFC, so I guess that was kind of a cool moment as well.
Speaker 7: Here you go, Jered, what's on your already has been doing this for fifteen years, pulling France out of the fire and got blessing for it. But let me ask you this then, of the club World Cup teams. How do you stop the PSG death star?
Speaker 10: I don't think you do, man, Holy crap, Like they are so good.
Speaker 9: It's just been amazing to see.
Speaker 10: And what I love is led by such like a humble, grounded coach that just everybody is rooting for.
Speaker 9: I don't know if you stop them, but I.
Speaker 10: Do love that the rhetoric towards MLS has had to take a pause based on the fact these statistical comparison between Into Miami's performance and Real Madrid's performance is bringing me a lot of like, even though I'm not the biggest Into Miami fan, right, I think anyone in a Major League Soccer that work for a different club understands like the difficulties of a team like Into Miami coming in and becoming a darling. Right now, I work for the league, Obviously, I see it from a slightly different perspective, so be careful here, but I think that it's so nice to see that MLS slander kind of have to take a pause because Into Miami was more resilient and put up more of a fight against PSG that I'm kind of happy to watch PSG dominate everything and they just play exciting fun soccer.
Speaker 9: I don't think anyone's stopping them.
Speaker 10: I think it's going to be a first ever because that's technically what it is.
Speaker 9: This is the first ever FIFA Club World Cup. Guys.
Speaker 10: Some of the commentators on TNT are like saying it differently, but we were told very specifically by this zone and FIFA that this is the first ever edition of the FIFA Club World Cup. This is a brand new tournament. So the first ever champions of the FIFA Club World Cup. It's going to be PSG. Surely I would put twenty seven boxes on it, like a full Sam's Club juice box, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Chelsea, No, I'm right there with you. Uh so, do you get a weekend to catch your breath?
Speaker 9: I'm fining to Chicago tonight. Oh wow, I got Chicago San Diego tomorrow. Boys.
Speaker 1: Oh cool?
Speaker 10: Yeah, my last season pass eight thirty CM Eastern Jess Stup and I enjoy.
Speaker 9: What are you accent?
Speaker 10: Matchup we're gonna have in Chicago at Soldier Field.
Speaker 1: Pick it out, waiting for that, waiting for that from from Ian. That's good. So with the study hall with Chicago and San Diego. Mikey Verius Coach of the Year for you or is it somebody else?
Speaker 9: He is the nicest guy I've spoken to.
Speaker 10: I The one thing I've had to adjust to is season pass. It's funny because like in NASL coaching caols, I feel super chill because I've been around it long enough and people know who I am now.
Speaker 9: And also I do the world feed, so I don't lead the call with season pass.
Speaker 10: I have to lead the call, and it's quite I don't say intimidating, because I know I belong, but as I get used to it, I'm a new face, like introducing myself, asking these questions, hoping that the coaches haven't been asked these because when you come into a league mid season as a voice, it's quite difficult because you don't necessarily haven't had the chance to ask the coaches questions things like that. So like, I've done three Chicago Fire games, so this was this is going to be number three. So Greg Burholters probably fed up with me, to be honest, he's a gentleman, he's lovely, and.
Speaker 9: Then I'm gonna have to chat with Greg. Hey, I can I can hint here.
Speaker 10: I'm not going to say the exact words but I might be talking to Greg on Monday or Tuesday next week. Read between the lines if you want to winkling nuch now. You also don't have to fly anywhere this midweek, so that's going to be cool as well. But Mike, he's just so lovely. It was so cool the minute I popped them, like, oh, I haven't got to.
Speaker 9: Meet you before.
Speaker 10: Oh that's awesome, Yeah, ask away anything. The way he talks about the game is fantastic. And the biggest thing I took from the coaches CAOL is they want to be an and team, not a butt team. They enjoy the ball and their pressure is on point, not a they're good on the ball, but they can't work in transition.
Speaker 9: They always want to be an and team.
Speaker 10: And I thought, I it seems such a basic concept, but I absolutely love that because it's so true. How often on a broadcast are we like, well, the goalkeeper has great shots stopping, but his footwork sucks, or this midfielder is really physical, but he's got the touch of a donkey. So I love this kind of ability to be able to be an and team, and I want to be an and broadcaster right, And so Mikey has really inspired me to It's funny. I had this call yesterday and now I feel like that's like I'm gonna steal his motto from San Diego and just take it to my life that I want to be an and broadcaster where hey, she's really good at goal calls and she understands the flow of the game, or she's really really well informed on the team and she's able to control the tempo of the match, those kind of things. So we need more and people in our lives and less butt people. So I think it's like a mic drop moment, honestly.
Speaker 1: All right, so we'll make that your mic drop moment. So MLS season past just charming one of our ogs, always an og gonna be calling Chicago and San Diego, where I would probably take the over considering the offensive talent on both of these teams.
Speaker 10: I was gonna say, these teams score goals for fun, but also deflet in a lot of goals. So on paper, Chicago's already been involved in two games where our team has scored seven this season, wouldn't put against it. But also now that we talk so much about the goalscoring prize and the lack of defensive ability.
Speaker 9: It could be Neil Nel who knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we jinxed it. So it'll be great to see you and he enjoy pick it out on Saturday with Chicago and San Diego and then wink week nudge, nudge, we'll have you back early next week. How about that, Jess, I can't wait.
Speaker 10: Thank you boys for having me as always always an og Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: All right, there goes Jess. So Jarrett other matches this weekend that you're keeping an eye on. Does anything else stick out to you when it comes with all the activity?
Speaker 7: Well, let's see, let's take a look at the schedule.
Speaker 1: Well, you've got I've got to pull up okay.
Speaker 7: Cool if you want to read that for people to find, don't do it for me.
Speaker 1: But I mean, you've got You've got hell is Real, You've got Philly Red Bulls, You've got Atlanta Toronto messy and.
Speaker 7: Philly Red Bulls. Philly Red Bulls will be fun. I forget who it was.
Speaker 1: That wrote it.
Speaker 7: Might have been dull over at MLS who wrote it that what Philly thrives on is chaos, and good teams don't allow chaos in the door, which is why Philly is a really good team, but hey, they're rich whenever you pick this up. But the question is, is Ken Philly break down teams that are really good that don't let chaos in the door. Yeah, that'll be the interesting one. I know you said, Uh, Inter Miami and Nashville. Nashville's going for five straight wins. Look, Nashville's the hottest team in the league right now and is the top is at the top of your do not want to play list? What BJ Callahan does done is absolutely outstanding work. When when when Gary got fired last year, they were very much in the woods.
Speaker 1: They got p J.
Speaker 7: Callahan in, it was not pretty for a while, they missed the playoffs. He apparently kept them for basically like a postseason camp, which Walker Zimmerman attributes to a lot of what they've done really well. Uh, you know, mess and friends are always going to be fun. But Nashville right now is the biggest buzz Saul that you do not want to play in this league as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and then so there's that one. Jamie's on the call for that one. Jess is on the call for Chicago and San Diego Austin without Brandon Vasquez for the rest of the season is going to be hosting New England. They're a slight favorite, so they're a handful of you know, hell is reel. Since Dy Columbus and DC heading out to LA to take on l a G DC decides that they Troy Lay and.
Speaker 7: He did not okay.
Speaker 1: Resources to compete. No, he was not.
Speaker 7: I my brain is My brain is giving Robin Fraser vibes for Troy La Sane in the sense that I don't know how good of a coach this guy is because the resources were not there. Like Robin Fraser's resources in Colorado. He had that he had one really good year where they finished you know, I think top three in the West. It was great or power to him, but they didn't continue to spend for him and it fell apart. But Troy Lasain did not exactly get a resources to work with in BC. And I don't know what to make of what Troy La Saying can be as a manager in the same sense that like even Robin Fraser going to Toronto, I don't know what to make of Robin Fraser as a manager. I'm not gond because like you can tell me, like, like, Fraser had that one good year and since in Colorado and then you know, it fell apart and it wasn't good. And like, if I'm not gonna judge him strictly off this Toronto season, yeah, I'm not, because he has been he's been handed a really weird hand and now he's lost to his DPS. Now maybe the chemistry and that team picks up.
Speaker 1: I don't know, since since the two players were the ones that were one of the two players was linked to multiple run ins with multiple coaches.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like, there's there's levels to this that I can't I can't sit here and tell you that Robin Fraser is a great coach ords terrible coach. I'm not. It's certainly not going to tell you he's a terrible coach just because you know, Toronto isn't having a great year because like and look, we all say, we literally, John, we literally.
Speaker 5: Just watched.
Speaker 7: Chris Armis go to Toronto basically get hired to do a job, not have the pieces to do that job, and get fired. Yeah, and then go to Colorado and Colorado's up and down this year, but they're spending their giving resources and they were good last year and they're I think they're still trying to find their feet and he's still trying to find himself as a manager. But yeah, man, like Trolo saying and Robin Fraser, both are guys that I can't I'm not going to sit here and damn them as managers because what they've been handed.
Speaker 1: So we'll keep an eye on DC heading out to Lag Lag is favored chasing after their third win of the year. Does DC get the new coach bump from someone that they brought in from Europe and they wasted virtually no time in naming as their new head coach. So we'll see what happens with see what happens with DC, see what happens with Toronto and Atlanta, and what's your gut tell you about what's gonna happ and a bemo.
Speaker 7: Well, okay, so we have the question of do you judge Dila off the season since he came on to a broken roster. Oh, buddy, So, first of all, we didn't think the roster was broken to begin with. We were wrong. We didn't think it was broken at the beginning, But you you are going to judge him on some things. I'm also to the point personally, and this is a me thing, this is not an SDH thing. I'm as if not more critical of the players on the roster because going back over a calendar year now, I've watched guys on this roster not be able to lock in consistently. They did it under they did it under Rob Valentino. Go back to the Nashville game, which was kind of the that was kind of the full crumb of Rob's time as his second stint as interim manager. Because go back to when Atlanta lost to Nashville at home and embarrassed by a Nashville team that had not turned the corner yet and got physically dominated and pushed around and didn't fight back. I have watched this roster just look like they don't have that dog in them. Yeah, And because because like here's the thing, it's not always going to be roses. You're gonna have to fight through. This is to to blend your analogies. I think it was John Smoltz once talked about, you know, you only have your A plus stuff on the mound, what like three or four times a year. The rest of it, you're you're grinding it out. You're only gonna have your most teams. Most teams are only gonna have their like three four five goal a game, beautiful champagne styles a couple times a year that it's gonna line up. You're gonna have to grind out the rest of them. Right now, this this roster does not feel like maybe individuals do feel like. I'm not going to speak for all the individuals as a collective. This roster does not have that grind mentality on them to grind out those tough times, to grind out those tough games. So will Dala be judged, Yes, because he's the manager of this team, and God bless him, he is trying different things. God knows he has run out eighty five thousand different combinations, different ideas, different formations, different setups, you know, different instructions to try and find something that works. But look, everyone most scatters already.
Speaker 1: Out the door.
Speaker 7: I remember it takes two to tango. So before you start burning the roster down and understand guys that you have to have a place for guys to go. I think personally there that will be if if you can do it, it will be a very very busy summer. Yes, there will be a lot of bloodshed.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 7: Will Ronnie be judged for it? Yeah, because he's manager. Well you think that's fair or not. He is a manager. He's going to be judged for it. I will.
Speaker 1: And we'll see.
Speaker 7: We'll see how the how the season ends after the summer window. We'll see if if they find you just brought in a center back as well. Let's see if they find some cajonas about themselves as far as this game goes. As I jump off the off ramp to John's question, sure, I don't know. It's a team that so often looks like they're thinking instead of playing and playing scared and I'm I'm sick of watching them play scared man like. And when I say play scared, I mean like when Atlanta gets into the final third, it's it's like they're afraid to drive at someone, and it's like they're afraid to take chances. And I it's it's for me, John, it's it's exhausting because I'm I am expecting this team to be more like what we saw in preseason, which was aggressive in the final third, trying to make that line splitting pass, playing that more dangerous ball, because when you do it your own in the final third. That's fine. The the insanity of this team is that the risk taking is so often in front of their own goal. And you know, whether that's Miguel Almaron, who is all over God's creation dropping back everywhere to get on the ball and then misplaying passes. Almost gave up a goal against DC the same way you gave one up against red balls Migual Amaron dropping way back into the back right and then playing the ball across the middle. That was just ill advised and poor to hit. Like that's where you're taking risks. Now, No, take some damn risks in the attacking half. Get into the final third and take a risk, play a ball over the top, like, try and get creative, you know, don't just get it out to Brooks. Learn ask him to pump in a line cross. Don't just ask Pedromador to hit an early cross. Take some chances placing through balls, try and combine, try and pick out that pass to break a team over your knee. And they have not shown that bravery in the attacking half. And I'm flabbergasted.
Speaker 1: By a John You're not the only one I know.
Speaker 7: But that's just particulating how I thought about Ronnie was in the two s match. Great. Look, I've long maintained at this point, if things are cooked, I'm bringing guys up like I'm putting Will Riley out there now that Jay's out for the year, especially like I'm putting Will Riley out there to fight. If I got to call a short term now that I'm down a winger, if I got to call a short term a moistista blante and I tell him, Hey, I need you to play too stupid to be afraid ball and because want will drive that you like man is insane, you know, Looke, I need, I need more Luke Brendon minutes the I need Caman toga sheet mm hmm, like driving at people and pressing people and getting stuck in a quarter of a second late, because if you're starting eleven, because a lot of times what will happen as a manager get stuck into the not stuck into but into the idea of I'm gonna run my starting eleven out there because there's tension on the job right now and we need to win, and these guys are giving me.
Speaker 1: A chance to win. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Great, But when you're doing that you're still giving up three goals game, you might as well just might as well see what the kids can keep. You might as well see what it looks like when it's Noah Cobb at fran Morales who was your man in the match yep last weekend. Might as well see what you got met.
Speaker 1: And on that note, once again remind you the very very busy weekend that Landy United Toronto FC. That is five stripes countdown with Maddie and Abes six thirty on ninety two nine in the game in the Odyssey app kick off at seven forty from BEMO and then the full time report after then with everybody flying back from Toronto. And by the way, unified match at Landy United Toronto FC. Their conflicting reports nine thirty ten o'clock in there on Saturday mornings, so keep an eye out on your socials. Toronto FC is saying ten, Atlanta United saying nine to thirty in their releases, so early Saturday morning, keep an eye out for that nine thirty ten o'clock somewhere in there at Lanty United's unified Toronto FC's unified first match for them since twenty nineteen. So I think the Jason and the Hoff will have the call on that one up at Demo U. Then on Sunday ninety two nine, in the game in the Odyssey app, Maddy and Jason will have the twos and Columbus Crew two on the network. We'll have pregame on SDH about seven o'clock, go for about twenty minutes. Then we will yield the balance of our time and then about seven to twenty five, Maddy and Jason will come in and it'll be Maddie and Jason on the call ninety two nine in the game for the twos and Crew two. I'll be on for halftime, We'll have postgame and we'll let you know what's going on with that. So very very busy weekend at ninety two nine the game in the Odyssey app for it Lanty nighted First Team Unified. You can watch that on Socials and on the twos as well on Sunday night from the fraction, so you get your get your action from the fraction and you can have a mo at BEMO on Saturday. So very very full weekend across the board. Jared as always my friend. Now it's nine to twelve on a Friday morning, thanks for as always dropping by, no problem. It is time. Since it is a Friday, we have to play. We have to make sure that the whistle, the Friday, the Friday Whistle plays in its entirety. So for jareded for Jess, for Chris Whittingham, and for Jamie Watson, for everybody else here at SDH. It was a fun show. It was a full show. We always like it when that happens on a Friday. So a played safe. Everybody, enjoy your weekend. Be safe. We will catch up with you again before you know it. Saturday, Sunday. Back here on Monday, and because it is Friday, this is where we go.
Speaker 9: The war was.
Speaker 1: The keys on the typewriter had sharp points.
Speaker 8: To keep sticking into our fingers. The dictating equipment started asking us questions, and our papers.
Speaker 3: Sent electric shocks just threw our.
Speaker 8: Body like a cattle prod out in the warehouse. The trucks kept banging into the docks, not even thinking about stopping. Our frail bodies were strapped to the chairs, and our chairs.
Speaker 5: Were chained to the desks. Our please for justice were ignored.
Speaker 9: And the end seemed near.
Speaker 8: But we busted our slave drivers little bitny Balls, Hler Break, Fortress, the streets, our Harsty Gods. Yes, Friday, Friday, Friday Day,