Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Path went Chilling for part two of our series about the disappearance of Bob Herod. Robin, do you want to catch everyone up from what we talked about in our previous episode.
Speaker 2: Well, this is an unsolved disappearance involving an elderly man, eighty one year old Bob Herod, who lived in the town of Placentia, California. Bob had been married to his wife, Georgia for fifty seven years, but she had recently passed away and Bob went into a depression. But then he was contacted by an old flame of his named Bontel Heater, whom he had engaged to be married in nineteen forty nine, but for various reasons, they were forced to separate and went off and lived their separate lives. So Bob had not heard from Fontel in nearly fifty years, but she had become a widow herself her own husband had passed away, so she decided to track Bob down and get in touch with them, and they wound up pre killing the romance. It started out as a very sweet story where they wound up getting married quickly and Fontel was going to move from her hometown of Missouri to Placentia so that she and Bob could live together, but shortly before this could take place, Bob would vanish without a trace. The story goes is that he was fixing up the house with his son in law, Jeff Michaels, but then when Jeff went to home depot to get some things and returned around a half hour later, Bob's housekeeper, Agnes, was sitting on the front porch and said the front door was locked and Bob was nowhere to be found. They initially figured that Bob may have gone for a walk, but he never returned and the only things that were missing were his keys and his wallet, and when he failed to resurface, his family officially reported him missing. But Fontel moved to California and moved into Bob's house, but there began some tension between her and Bob's three daughters, Paula, Roberta, and Julie, who were not happy about the fact that Bob had been planning to revise his estate and leave part of his house and his money to Fontel, and they reportedly had a heated meeting about it the very day before Bob went missing, leading to speculation that there might have been a connection between these two events. There was a lengthy court battle and Fontel was eventually evicted from Bob's home after he was legally declared dead before she passed away herself. And it was also reported that in twenty nineteen, two persons of interest who were described as being associates of Bob were arrested and detained, but were released without charge. And to this day, law enforcement has not released the identities of these two people or why they were detained, and the investigation is pretty much now in a holding pattern, and no trace of Bob has been seen in nearly seventeen years. So I can honestly say that I've never really seen a missing person's case quite like this one, where it transitions from a heartwarming love story to a tragic mystery within the span of only one month. Here were two elderly individuals who had both gone into a depression after losing their respective spouses, but wound up reconnecting with the long lost love and finally went through with a wedding which was supposed to have taken place nearly sixty years earlier. What's unique is that Bob Herod and Fontale Heaters. Romance was such a feel good human interest story that I wound up getting media attention before Bob went missing. The local newspaper, the Orange County Register, published an article about their recent marriage on July seventh, two thousand and nine, and Bob was even interviewed by a TV news crew. In many missing persons cases, you only get to see the victims from their photographs, and it's very rare that you're able to see video footage of those speaking, which only makes them more human. Watch meeting Bob's TV interview is both poignant and eerie, because you can tell that he's the happiest he has been in quite some time, but you also know that he's going to vanish it out of the trace three weeks later. And of course, what makes the whole thing even sadder is the possibility that Bob could have gone missing because of his marriage, as it's a parent that allowing his new bride to have a piece of his five million dollar fortune was causing some friction within his family.
Speaker 3: I can only imagine, right when you have that kind of assets and you have these fluctuating relationships. Bob and his daughters had consistent relationships, they knew their mom's plan. And then he has this younger female acquaintance, possibly girlfriend, who he loans a lot of money to, and now he's very quickly getting remarried to a childhood love interest. And so I could see where the girls are very overwhelmed. In episode one, I said, you know, unless all of them were involved, I don't think you could successfully pull that off, because it's some point one of the sisters would likely crack. But like you said, this is such a bizarre case because it was just this eighty one year old man who had this magical love story emerging in his life at the age of eighty one, and two days before she's supposed to start this chapter with him, he disappears. And there's been very little progress made in the case other than two individuals that we have no information about being apprehended to later be released.
Speaker 1: I would love to know if those two individuals had any link at all to Josie. Do you know that information, Robin?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately no, I haven't heard anything about Josie since the disappeared episode when they said that they did not consider her to be a suspect. But there's so many different possibilities about who these two people could be, like, could they be Josie and her husband, Could they be Josie and someone that is suspected of being solicited to harm Bob or something. We just don't have that information.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, now you'll find no shortage of line discussion about this case, as there are no less than twenty separate threads devoted to Bob's disappearance on the web sluthe forum, and quite frankly, a lot of the discussion about Bob's three daughters, Julie, Paula and Roberta is not too flattering, as there are definitely a number of people who suspect that one or more, if not all, of them, might have played some sort of role in Bob's disappearance. What further complicates this whole situation is that Bob's son in law was the last known person to see him alive, and Bob had also developed a close relationship with a much younger woman whom he'd lent large sums of money to hell, you'll even see suspicion directed towards Fontel herself and the possibility that she married Bob simply to get her hands on his fortune. Back in twenty nineteen, two persons of interest who were described as being associates of Bob were briefly arrested and attained in relation to the case before they were released without charge, and just as Robin mentioned, their identities have never been released publicly. But since there are so many different people associated with this story, we can only guess who these two particular individuals might be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. It seems like it's unlimited of who this could be because we don't know who Bob's done business with. He owns multiple properties, clearly he's had successful investments, and you know, it could be a banker, it could be a real estate agent, it could be someone he hired to fix his homes up. It could be, you know, someone he is related to. So it's very frustrating when you look at this from an investigative standpoint, because Bob has had such an extensive life, because Bob does have assets that are of value to people who know him, and because you know, the older you get, it's possible he shared information he shouldn't have shared with somebody, right, being vulnerable, being a little bit more gullible to just you know, communication methods and things like that there's a host of different things that could have happened to Bob the Unfortunately, because of the doctor's report, it seems like the most unlikely would be that he naturally and somehow, in a state of confusion, wandered away. And it does point more towards something's wrong what bothers me as you still know, Bob's bed was unmade when he left, which was atypical. He did have his wallet and keys, but did not have his glasses and did not take his car, so hypothetically, he should not have been able to voluntarily go very far or for very long without needing to come home.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned the possibility of Bob possibly angering someone who he had done business with in the past. And what's interesting was, we really don't know all that much about Bob's personal life. We just know that he had once worked in contract administration, he made a fortune, and he successfully made some investments in some real estate properties. But we don't know too much about his personal life other than Josie and von Teal and his daughters. We don't know what kind of friends and associates he had, So I mean, I don't know how long he had been retired, if he might have angered someone during his deep business dealings that would cause them to murder him like years after the fact. But it is possible, though, that these two associates who arrested may just be people that have never been mentioned before and any versions of this story and were completely off the radar as suspects. So obviously Bob's fortune seems to be the most logical motive for his disappearance, but you have to remember that he's technically still only a missing person, not a homicide victim. California law requires that a person be missing for at least five years before they can be legally declared dead, so theoretically, if someone killed Bob for his inheritance, it would have been in their best interest to ensure his body was found, since otherwise they cannot benefit financially until at least twenty fourteen. If you search on YouTube, you'll be able to find clips of some local news segments which were filmed in the days following Bob's disappearance, and one of them features footage of Fontelle arriving in California and being co sold by Julie Paula and Roberta. It's quite surreal to watch this footage knowing that the two sides would soon wind up on very bad terms with each other and become embroiled in a heated feud over Bob's estate. And what adds an extra element of frustration of the situation is that we have conflicting stories from both Fontel and the three daughters about some key events which took place around the time period Bob vanished. I suppose we should begin our analysis by talking about Fontel, who passed away in twenty twenty two. In many cases, you might feel suspicious about a woman suddenly re entering a wealthy man's life after not seeing him for decades and marrying him a short time later before he went missing. Bob's daughters have even given off the impression that they believe that Fontel was a gold digger who was only after him for his money. However, when you look at the big picture, Fontel definitely seems to be the least likely suspect. I mean, Fontel was in a completely different state at the time Bob went missing, so she couldn't have had any direct involvement. And while you could explore the possibility of a murder for hire, that scenario really doesn't make any sense for starters. It sounds like the quick marriage was Bob's idea as he was an eighty one year old widower who had to adjust to the pain of being alone for the first time in six decades. So when a former flame re entered his life and he fell head over heels in love again, Bob did not see the purpose of taking things slowly because who knows how much time he had left. Bontel always maintained that she had no idea Bob was wealthy until after he went missing, and I can't believe that as he lived a modest, middle class lifestyle. You certainly don't expect an individual who's driving in nineteen ninety seven Toyota Camry in two thousand and nine to have a net worth of five million dollars. Hell, Bob's daughters even admitted that they had no idea what he was really worth until after their mother passed away the previous year.
Speaker 1: Just in case anybody is curious about what Bob's money would be worth today, the five million would be roughly seven point six million in today's currency or spending powers. So that gives you kind of an idea of what all these people could be potentially battling over.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I've got to defend Fontel here and Bob as well, because if you've ever experienced loss of a spouse, it's something that your whole world is kind of turned upside down and you don't know how to function without your partner. It's a very different relationship than any other kind of loss, because even brushing your teeth and doing the dishes, this is the person who's with you twenty four to seven, carrying the same role, the same weight, and you're like better half if you have a good marriage, right, that's my other half, and so to lose half of you feels helpless. This man was with her for decades upon decades, six decades, so that was the way he functioned. It was like he lost his right arm and leg when she passed away. So when he all of a sudden has someone reach out who's genuine and is a true love that he had in his life, it was never a pain for him other than losing her. He went away for the military and didn't want to hold her to that commitment because he knew he was in danger, and because of the times then they didn't have email and Facebook and FaceTime and all of the things that we have now. They lost touch with each other, and it was something that would have to be a love that stayed in your heart and said, Hey, I wonder whatever happened to her? Right, I'm so happy in my life, but I think about her every once in a while. That was my first love.
Speaker 4: She comes back in his life. He gets a lease on losing his world.
Speaker 3: And now wait a minute, this chapter that never got to start is going to could start out of It's like a grace of God. And so I just feel like Bob and Fontelle, would money be nice to know as a widow you're going to marry into somebody who has money, Yes, but you're both like counting down how long do we have left? So do I think Fontelle was chasing him for his money?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I think she didn't want to pass away alone. And I think she wanted to end her her life here on earth with her best friend, with somebody that she had missed that she thought about her whole life and that she wanted to reconnect with.
Speaker 4: So I think that part's incredibly precious.
Speaker 3: You know, when you talk about who drives that nineteen ninety seven Toyota Camry a twelve year old car when they have millions upon millions of dollars.
Speaker 4: I kind of find it very charming.
Speaker 3: Because I've met a few people who are very wealthy and you would never know it unless you knew their pedigree and where they came from. I think that humility of saying there's things that are worth investing in and putting your money towards, and there's things that don't matter to me, shows a humbleness to him and really shows you the kind of man he likely was. That wasn't someone who lets you know how much money he had. He didn't wear that on his sleeve. And if that's the kind of and he was, I have to go back to what you said that if you were going to kill him for his money, you'd want his body found because they had to wait for five years to get his assets released. I almost think that this man went out to do something even maybe go get something quickly from, you know, around the corner to bring back for Fontelle when she arrived, and then maybe got hurt on his way out. That someone saw him and there was a crime of opportunity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I completely agree that. I don't think there is anything unusual about Bob and Fontell wanting to get remarried so quickly after losing the respective spouses, just because it would be a difficult adjustment going back to being alone again for the first time in decades. But I have seen situations like this where a quick remarry for an elderly person who was married to their spouse for decades can cause a lot of friction with their adult children because it's just so shocking to them that their mother, who has been a big part of their life for so long, is now gone, and now you're seeing their father just get married quickly to some woman you don't even know. So on one sense, you can understand why they might have an unflattering portrayal of Fontel and think that she's a gold digger and was only after her father with his money. But on the other hand, they may have their own selfish, ulterior reasons for thinking this and don't like the idea Fontel getting your hands on their money, which they felt that they would be entitled to.
Speaker 1: And like, I just don't understand how Fontale has a finger pointed at her when there wasn't even Instagram back then. Like Instagram started in twenty ten. Okay, so there was a scenario where Bob would have been on some kind of social media platform with like stacks of cash and posting videos like that wouldn't have been a thing, and we know that he wasn't doing that. So I just don't know where Fonteal would have been able to come up with the information that Bob was wealth, especially when we factor in that his daughters didn't even know how considerable his wealth was until Georgia passed away.
Speaker 2: I think the idea of Bob being on Instagram is pretty adorable for this eighty one year old name some of them and him holding up stacks of cash to show how wealthy is quite a littilarious visual.
Speaker 1: During her interview on the Disappeared episode about this case, Fontel brought up a point which should dispel any notion of her being involved in Bob's disappearance. If all she cared about was his money, she would have ensured that all the necessary paperwork making her a beneficiary to his estate was signed before she left California to return home to Missouri. Some people might find it odd that Bontel decided to move into Bob's house after he vanished and remained there for the next several years. But she really didn't have much of a choice. Remember, she'd spend the previous month moving out of her residence in Missouri in order to live with Bob, So where was she going to go? I can't imagine that she wanted to go through the ordeal of finding another place to live while she was dealing with the trauma of her husband going missing, and putting aside the potential motive of Fontel orchestrating a murder for hire. The logistics just seem impossible if you look at the timeline. Bob seemingly went missing during a narrow period of around twenty to thirty minutes between when his son in law left the house to go to home depot and his housekeeper arrived at the residence. What amazing luck that this mythical hit man managed to remove Bob from his home within this very very brief window of time when no one else was there. Even though it appears that Bob's daughters have attempted to paint an unslattering picture of Fontelle, she does come across as a genuinely nice woman during her interviews. Just imagine how difficult. It must have been for her to lose her husband, rekindle her romance with Bob, get remarried, and then lose him as well, and then lose him as well within one three year time period.
Speaker 3: That's so sad when you look at this idea that she had already lost so much, He had already lost so much, and this was such a kind of just diamond in the rough storybook reconnection. I can't imagine that it just didn't work out right, like is it perfect? No, are their complications, of course, but it's these two elderly people who get a second lease on life. And like you said, he had already lost so much, She had already lost so much, and two days before they're about to start their world together, he's gone. It breaks my heart.
Speaker 4: It's so sad.
Speaker 2: We mentioned earlier that when Fontelle first arrived in Placentia following Bob's disappearance, the news cameras caught footage of his daughter's hugging and consoling her. But things obviously changed in a big hurry, since Julie, Roperta and Paula met with Fontelle a few days later to let her know that she was not entitled to their father's assets, and we have differing accounts about whether or not they told Fonteale that a family attorney had advised them to kick her out of the house. Well, at this point, Bob had only been missing for a short amount time, so it does seem a bit callous to be focusing so much on the handling of his estate when it has even been confirmed yet if he's dead or alive. I can also see why it might look incredibly suspicious that Bob just happened to go missing the very day after he had a meeting with his three daughters to discuss his family's finances. We have two differing versions of what happened, as Julie, Paula and Roberta maintain that even though they did have a heated argument with their father, they were able to peacefully resolve the situation and left his house on good terms, but Fontell claims that when she spoke to Bob on the phone later that evening, he still seemed pretty upset. Fontell's version of the story is that Bob's daughters were unhappy that he was planning to add her name to his house and checking accounts, and they even wanted the marriage to be an Ault. Julie, Paula and Roberta have always downplayed this, as they claimed that the source of the friction was their father's lack of transparency about their late mother's bypass trust and issue, which had nothing to do with Fontel and had been a recurring problem before they even got married. Since Bob himself is no longer around to clarify this situation, well, probably never know the real truth, but his daughters did file a petition of conservatorship only a week and a half after he went missing, and later went to probate court to try and get Fontell removed from the residents, so they were obviously quite concerned about making sure to keep control of his finances.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that all of that is just simply like the reality of growing up and having an aging parent. I could see where everyone was incredibly frustrated. It's a very difficult conversation to have, and they had already had complications with it that Dad wasn't providing the correct documentation. Moms deceased, so that adds energy to it. This was Mom's wishes. They're very probably emotionally tied to Mom wanted this. We were told this, you need to provide this, And so imagine three heated girls dealing with the grief of their mother's loss, the reality that this conversation means one day Dad's going to be gone too, and trying to manage money. It complicates everything.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just I'm The more we talk about it, the more empathy I feel for the daughters who, because of the odd timing of this conversation and because of the kind of complex nature that happens with Fontel afterwards, for them, they almost feel like she's a squatter living in their dad's house. She just you know, she's been in the picture what two seconds, and now she lays claim to his assets in his home.
Speaker 4: We should have never let him in.
Speaker 3: There's just a lot of legal and financial complications that I think would erode any people's relationship. I don't necessarily think it projects any of their character. I think many families see this where good people end up having bad behaviors displayed and bad emotions between them, because money changes people and grief changes people. So I think it's just hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I do know that places like web sluse like paint a very unflattering portrayal of the daughters and don't really like them too much. But if you do put yourself in their shoes and they are completely innocent, you can kind of understand a lot of their behavior, and like, I understand what a weird adjustment it must have been for them to like suddenly lose their mother and have their father remarry like a complete stranger, very very quickly. So it might seem callous from a distance, but when you take it from their point of view, he can kind of understand some of their actions. And if they truly are innocent, they probably never never knew that their father was just going to go missing and that everyone was going to like scrutinize their actions.
Speaker 1: And if they were aware of Josie potentially borrowing money or siphoning money from their father, it could be that this marriage to Fontelle became a pattern of recklessness that the three daughters saw, and we're like, our father is doing reckless things. Isn't disclosing the things to do with the trust that he's legally obligated to do, and so they are legally entitled to that money, and he's being evasive about it. And now he's given eighty six thousand dollars to Josie and he's married Fontel, and so it likely has zero to do with Fontel and everything to do with the fact that he's been evasive. They don't feel like they're going to get what has been entitled to them through their mother George's bypass trust because their father isn't complying with what he is legally supposed to do. So I can completely empathize with what they're going through. They're concerned about the decisions that he's making, and it's I'm more in line with what Ashley said that this is an aging parent and they're concerned for his well being, also for their own wellbeing and for their financial future. But I think both things can be true. You can be concerned for your aging parent and their choice, and you can also be concerned for yourself and the money that you're legally entitled to. So one aspect of this case which does seem concerning is that Bob's daughters shared details about him with the media that were contradicted by other sources. For instance, they said that Bob had been experiencing memory issues and potential signs of dementia, but Bob's doctor told police that he was quite healthy for his age. They also claimed that his father had bad knees and couldn't walk more than two blocks, but Bob's neighbors said that he often liked to take mile long walks up the street and back virtually every day. Bob's daughters also described him as being a homebody who did not like to go out much and did everything he could to avoid driving on freeways. However, investigators learned that about a month or so prior to his disappearance, Bob took Fontelle to visit friends of his who lived on Balboa Island, a harborside community in Newport Beach, and it would have been impossible for him to drive there without using the freeway. So why are we getting all these contradictory stories about Bob's physical and mental health. Where his daughter's trying to plant some seeds to give off the impression that he became disoriented and wandered off. I mean, given Bob's advanced age, I suppose we can't completely discount that possibility. But there have been no reported sightings of him since he went missing. Bob's disappearance immediately received a lot of attention from the local media, and he was a very distinct looking guy. So unless he wandered off into a remote area and died of exposure or something, I think there's a good chance that he would have been found relatively quickly. It's also worth reiterating the police claimed someone initially told them that Bob might have run away on his own because he regretted his marriage to Fontelle, But they've never publicly revealed the identity of the person who shared this theory, so you have to wonder if it might have been someone who had their own ulterior motives for attempting to push forward a false narrative.
Speaker 3: There is no way he wanted to run away from that mayor and at eighty one, I don't know. I just think, with his relationship with his daughters, if he felt like he had just gotten trapped, she wasn't even living there yet, I think he could easily come up with a thing that says, you just can't, you can't come. We're gonna get it annulled. I can't do this. He was happy, he was so excited. Oh my god, read the letter that he wrote her. This is like this struck of strike of genius that somehow you found me, and God's answered my prayers and the call changed my life. He loves her, he cares about her, and he does not want to be alone. I completely understand that. And so no part of me thinks that disoriented and wandered off, not if you're going to say it's based on dementia, but I do wonder could there have been an injury where he fell and then was disoriented. I could see him having the wherewithal to grab his keys and his wallet, but maybe not making his bed like he normally does. That could be possible, But then, like you said, how far is he actually going to get on foot unless he was grabbed by somebody. I feel like it would be pretty easy to find him, even if he had lost his life due to being exposed to the elements or something, or you know, wandered off and gotten hurt. I don't think he could have gotten that far by himself.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you a question, Ash? Yeah, So what do you think is the likelihood that we see? Okay, so we've got all the daughters giving this information and it looks like it's contradicted by other people who seem to know Bob his neighbors. How much of that do you think is just a perception versus reality?
Speaker 4: I think huge, how.
Speaker 1: Much do we actually know about our parents? And like what do their friends know of them? That is completely different than like us as children.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and like even between children, like my brother and I have very different perceptions of our parents. And it's because of the relationships we have and as adults you become more friends and then caregivers and all of these different things. And so like you said, you know my aunt or my cousin who acts like my mom's sister, I guarantee or she knows a different version of my mom than I do because she's been with her since she was a little girl, and she's my mom's confidant of things that she does not need to share with me. And then I know things my brother doesn't know about my mom or you know, and my brother knows.
Speaker 4: Things about my dad that I don't know.
Speaker 3: So I think that it is a generational difference and the way we perceive behaviors and events, you know, like you think of everyone getting offended today about things that you know, our parents don't mean harm.
Speaker 4: They're just not of this time, you know.
Speaker 3: So I think we view people older and younger than us, through the lens that is right for our life and what we're used to and what makes sense to us, and that's not always the reality of what that person's living. So I definitely think it's through the lens of whoever's telling the story, and I don't think it's malicious or trying to throw the police off. I think that's the person they knew. But Bob's not going to be the same Bob with his seventy nine year old whiskey drink and poke buddies as he is with his little girls.
Speaker 4: He's just not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I completely agree with that, though I would love to learn the identity of the quote unquote someone who told the police that Bob probably ran off because he regretted his marriage to fond Tale and just wanted to get away with it, because that is just beyond the realm of all logic that I have to think that whoever shared that was not being serious and was trying to plant a false narrative.
Speaker 1: Especially when we factor in that all three of his daughters wanted him to annul his marriage. So at that point, wouldn't you just acquiesce to what your daughters wanted get the marriage adulled. They would say that like he wasn't competent or wasn't able to consent legally, whatever they would end up saying, then you would just go about your life. Why would you need to run away from everything? It doesn't even make sense.
Speaker 2: But before we talk any more about Bob's family, we should discuss the other person who's been pushed forward as a potential suspect, and that's Bob's barber, Josie. On the surface, there would definitely appear to be a good reason to be suspicious of her, as she really does come across as the type of gold digger which Bob's daughters accused Vaon Tell of being. It is quite troubling that a woman who was nearly half Bob's age would try putting her hooks into him almost immediately after his wife's death. Since Georgia went through a prolonged illness before she passed away, you almost get the impression that Josie may have planned this all along. It was going to do everything in her power to exploit a lonely grieving widower. Now, since Josie had a husband of her own, it's never been conclusively established if she took things any further and had an affair with Bob, but she did convince him to loaner a lot of money. According to Bob's daughters, it was very out of character for him to be that frivolous about giving money to other people outside the family, and when he did loan money to his family members, he would always make sure the transaction was documented on paper and charge an interest rate to ensure the loan would be paid back. But it sounds like Bob gave Josie a lot of money and gifts without going through this process. Investigators have stated that they do not believe Josie had much of a motive to harm Bob, since she essentially would have been getting rid of her meal ticket. But let's not forget that since Bob got remarried, it seems like he was expecting Josie to pay back the money he loaned her. Now that he had Fontelle, Bob no longer needed Josie's attention as much as he did before, so this could have given Josie a motive to harm Bob in order to avoid repaying the loan. All that being said, it sounds like Josie had an alibi for the day Bob went missing, and while no specific details about this have been released, it appears that investigators have pretty much ruled out Josie and her husband as suspects. However, it is interesting that one of the reasons Josie popped up on the radar as a potential suspect is because Bob's son in law, Jeff Michaels, reported seeing what he believed was a suspicious looking SUV driving past Bob's house multiple times on the day he went missing. Josie did drive a vehicle just like that, always maintained that she was nowhere near the residence on that particular date. I mean, it's possible that Jeff is telling the truth and saw a completely different suv which has no relevance to this case. But if you believe Jeff is complicit in what happened, perhaps he fabricated this story in order to non too subdly direct suspicion towards Josie.
Speaker 3: I do think that the many things would be happening here if you think about the quintessential barber shop or beauty shop talk and the kind of the dynamic you have with a person doing your hair.
Speaker 4: Remember Bob's eighty one.
Speaker 3: We don't know how much socialization he had outside of the house, So things like going to the doctor getting your hair cut, that's like social hour, you know, our equivalent of going to the movies or going out to get a drink or dinner or something like that. So I think that there could have been a true bond where that's somebody he looked forward to seeing. Maybe she had a pretty compelling story and he felt empathy for her and wanted to help her. But like you said, he seemed to be a pretty business savvy man, so kept notes of what was happening and did actually ask for that to be paid back. Did that ask make her mad? Is she not upset with him whatsoever? And that was the plan they had, was that, you know, when I get it, I'm going to pay you back, Bob, I promise. I just don't know who else to turn to. So we don't know the dynamic that was happening. It could have easily just been friends and someone. He said, I have the resources. She's a hard working woman. She and her husband have potential to get this money and will be able to pay me back. I'm going to go ahead and quote invest in her and help her out and expect her to pay me back. That could have easily been the arrangement from the start.
Speaker 1: One thing about this, like, let's just examine this from the perspective that Josie had absolutely nothing to do with this, and so many people are pointing at her and saying that she is a gold digger. I just want to point out that there is a lot of mon misogyny attached to the idea that a much older man who has money and a woman who comes along that he is being victimized by her. It is a mutually beneficial relationship if it was indeed sexual, and his doctor said that he was of sound mind. He didn't seem to be experiencing cognitive decline. He seemed to have been very aware of what was happening. And there could have been some reason that Bob decided not to write this on a ledger. I'm not sure the very nature of their relationship, but just in the off chance that Josie really had nothing to do with this, I don't love the whole dialogue around her just kind of getting in there and having her eye on his money, and then Bob was just, you know, completely innocent and didn't have any designs on Josie in any sort of a way. We just don't know the information about the exact dynamics of their relationship. It is possible it could have just been a friendship. It possible that it could have been more than that. But either way, we do know that he wanted that money back, so with Bontella in the picture, either he didn't think that he needed that like quote unquote friend or maybe he didn't feel like he needed that physical relationship. We can't really be sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Josie has never given any interviews to share her side of the story, so all we really heard about her is from the point of view of Bob's daughters, and of course they're probably not going to like her and have their own acts to grind with her, even if her intentions were noble and that she wasn't taking advantage of Bob at all.
Speaker 1: Now, one thing I'd be curious to know is what kind of relationship Bob had with his daughters prior to the death of his wife. They've always claimed that the loss devastated him so much that he went into a deep depression and lost a lot of weight because he didn't even feel like eating anymore. Things eventually reached a point where Bob told his daughters that he wanted to be alone and have no contact with them for six months because he needed time for himself. But you have to wonder if there might have more of that story, given how quickly Bob's daughters worked to gain control of his finances after he went missing. Perhaps a similar situation happened following the loss of their mother, as they immediately wanted to sort out the issue with the family trust, and even once so far as to draft a formal letter to Bob about it. But he may have just been too bereaved to deal with it. Let's also not forget that they'd call the Department of Elder Social Services to interview Bob over their concern that he was being exploited by Josie. I can't imagine that Bob was too happy about the situation, so it would not surprise me if this played a role in his decision to cut himself off from his daughters for six months. I mean, if the relationship between Bob and his children was good throughout the majority of his life, then I cannot imagine things escalating to the point where they would do something as cruel and sadistic as murder their father for money. Yes, there are plenty of other documented cases of people murdering their own parents for financial gain. But here we have three daughters who would have stood to benefit financially if Bob was out of the picture, and I'd hate to think that all three of them were capable of something like this. So could this just be a case where just one or perhaps two of Bob's daughters were complicit in what happened, but the others are completely innocent. And we also have to take into account the Jeck Michaels, the husband of one of these daughters, Julie, was the last person to see Bob alive. Even though Paula and Roberta have agreed to be interviewed during the Disappeared episode, Julie was not, though you can find clips on YouTube of her speaking to the media in the days after her father went missing, and as far as I can tell, Jeff has never done any interviews or spoken to the media at all.
Speaker 3: So at this I remember, Bob's girls held him pretty strictly to the letters his mom heard their mom had written. Right, they said, together we want to do this for our children. That's all fine and good until one of you passes away, and then you have to pick up the pieces and you have a whole new life in front of you that you are quite sure what to do with, or you kind of can do anything you want. So his girls were very quick to say, you got to stick to this, show us the paperwork, meet with us, do this, and confront him. So when Bob says he needs a break from them, it could just be tension and frustration of I resent I've lost I lost your mother. You have your partners, you have your life. I lost your mother. It's my assets. I earned it, and he's just frustrated and pushes them away. Does that mean they wanted to kill him? Does that mean he didn't want a relationship with his kids. No. I think he was grieving. They were grieving, and again I think that changes people and their perception of how the other person's treating them, and so I just think he needed a break for a minute. I think he was struggling and suffering, and men can't talk about their feelings, and you know, he needed to carry on and be tough. And he's this known businessman and things like that. So I'm more prone to think that all of these complications between Bob and his girls is simply a reality of difficult times. And yeah, I don't see any of the sisters being able to pull this off without the other sisters becoming suspicious and calling it out, because whether you're my sister or not, if you ended up killing our father and then you're the reason we're in this horrible feud with Vontel and the police are investigating and we don't know where he is and we can't lay him to rest, and our kids don't know where their grandfather is and all of the trauma that comes with that. I'm going to go ahead and tell the police I have suspicion about you, because this is unfair to all of us. I just don't think it's possible that one of them could be behind it.
Speaker 2: But let's examine the series of events which took place on the day Bob disappeared. The story goes up. Bob invited Jeff over to his residence on July to twenty seventh in order to help him with prepares and preparing the house for Fontel's arrival two days later. According to Jeff, he left to pick up some supplies from Home Depot, but by the time he returned, the house's front door was locked, Bob was gone, and Bob's housekeeper, Agnes, was sitting on the front porch. I should mention that there is conflicting information from different sources about what time of the day these events took place. The Disappeared episode says that Agnes arrived at the residence at noon, but most of the sources state that Jeff left the residence sometime between two thirty and two forty pm at Agnes arrived at three PM, so I am inclined to believe this timeline is the correct one. Investigators were able to verify Jeff's story and confirm that he did visit Home Depot during that time period, but of course this doesn't necessarily exclude him from being involved in Bob's disappearance, since we have a large window of time from earlier that day in which we technically have no independent eye witnesses besides Jeff who can confirm Bob's whereabouts. Agnes agreed to be interviewed on the Disappeared episode, and she said that Jeff seemed genuinely surprised to find her on the front porch, and she found it unusual that Bob did not tell Jeff was coming. Agnes usually cleaned the house on Tuesdays, but Bob had arranged for her to stop by and clean the place that afternoon, which was a Monday. So I can understand why Jeff would be thrown off by Agnes's presence, and this would be especially troubling for him if he had played some sort of role in Bob's disappearance. Agnes also recounts that after they entered the residence, Jeff told her that he was going to check upstairs to see if Bob was napping, and even though this only should have taken a few seconds, Agnes said that Jeff was upstairs for a few minutes before he came back down and confirmed that Bob wasn't there. So, hypothetically, if there was some evidence that a crime had been committed upstairs, Jeff could have been using this opportunity to cover it up before Agnes sow it. Bondel would later say that when she moved into the house, she saw evidence to suggest that the bathroom had been damaged and repaired. Bondell had stayed at the house when she visited Bob one month earlier, and I'm guessing she didn't see any signs of this damage the first time around. So while Jeff may have technically been telling the truth about visiting the home depot to pick up supplies for repairs, he may have been doing so for more nefarious reasons. But in Jeff's defense, even though he remained at the house for another three hours after he returned, he did leave before Agnes did. If he was in the midst of covering up a crime, you would think that Jeff might be inclined to hang around a bit longer and not leave Agnes alone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly would he really sit there and say, Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and plan this. I'm going to go actually patch this damage that I caused when I killed Bob, and then I'm just gonna saunter away and hope no one ever knows.
Speaker 4: I mean, I.
Speaker 3: Feel like she's eluding that maybe he was actually fixing the house while she was standing there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, Like she said when he went upstairs for a few minutes, I don't know if like she was kind of employing that he just took those few minutes to patch up a hole in the wall or something that was signed a foul play. But this seems weird that he would be so brazen to do this just hang around the house for three hours while Agnes is there, because you would think that maybe he would try to tell her, Oh, Bob wanted me to tell you that he doesn't want you cleaning the house today. After all, you should probably leave, and that he wouldn't be able to remain so cool and calmed if he had just committed a crime and there was another person in the house while he was trying to clean up.
Speaker 3: That's what I think as well. And again, like you said, if they thought this through and they can't find his body, then what are you going to do. It's worth killing him and waiting five years or several years for this to get resolved. It's more likely Bob would pass away within five years than to wait for his money. And also I think they would have been more likely to strong arm Fontelle and no, don't let her in this house. Call and tell her she is not welcome here. He's missing. You cannot come and keep her at an arm's length if you had something to do with his death as well.
Speaker 1: Agnes also made sure to point out how unusual she found it when she noticed that Bob's bed was unmade, as she'd been cleaning his house for over ten years at that point, and it was apparently very out of character for him not to make his bed before the middle of the afternoon. So, even though Jeff maintained that everything was fine when he left the house at two forty, could this unmade bed indicate that something happened to Bob the previous evening or early that morning. While a number of phone calls were made from Bob's residence that day, and investigators seized the records, but they have not released any specific information about them. Details are a bit fuzzy, but multiple sources have stated that Bob's call to Agnes, in which he asked her to come by his house to clean it, took place earlier that same morning. If true, then this would help establish a window of how much time there was between when Bob was last confirmed to be alive and when he was discovered to be missing just after three pm. Another point in Jeff's favor is that a search of his vehicle turned up no forensic evidence to suggest a body had ever been in there before all we know, someone else could have used their own vehicle to move Bob's body. Well, Jeff remained at the house, cleaning up or making repairs. Investiators did confirm that they performed a search of the house following Bob's disappearance, but have never released any details about what they may or may not have found. Look, I'm not saying that Jeff is guilty or anything, as he may very well be telling the complete truth. But if Jeff is being truthful, then it's hard to imagine what could have happened to make Bob disappear within that half hour window between when Jeff went to home depot and Agnes showed up, particularly since this was broad daylight and none of the neighbors reported seeing or hearing anything out of the ordinary.
Speaker 3: Okay, that timeline actually does make things a little bit more confusing, because Bob always made his bed when he got up, Well, why didn't he make it that day? By two point forty he was still there supposedly, So it's not what I was thinking that maybe he jumped up in a rush that morning called Agnes said get over here. I got a couple of things I gotta do, and he's running around town or going to neighbors houses or things like that to get things right. It's that he was there all day, why didn't he make his bed like usual? And why if he wasn't in a hurry, why didn't he grab his glasses and those kinds of things. So it does kind of make some of the behaviors that Agnes, who knew him quite well and knew his intimate home, picked up on. It makes that seem a little bit more odd. If supposedly this disappearance happened later in the afternoon, the fact that the.
Speaker 2: Front door was locked when Agnes arrived does seem to point away from the idea of a forcible abduction. If something did take place, it may have involved Bob leaving the residence in a vehicle with someone he knew and trusted, which did not attract any attention. Regardless of whether Bob was abducted or someone killed him at the house and staged his disappearance, it's very odd that his wallet and keys would be missing, but his eyeglasses were left behind. Every single photo we've see Bob shows him wearing his glasses, so I have to assume that he really needed them. The problem is that there's virtually no physical evidence to work with, and while I get the impression that investigators might have their own ideas about what happened to Bob, they likely don't have any proof to back it up. Now, the one point which we previously brought up to dispute the idea that Bob was murdered for his inheritance is that without a body, he was technically just a missing person, so the responsible parties would have had to have waited at least five years until they received any money. However, it's possible that this wasn't a premeditated murder, but rather a situation where Bob got into a heated dispute with someone which turned violent and led to him accidentally being killed. Remember, even though Bob's daughters have always maintained that they reconciled their differences during their final meeting with them the day before he went missing, Vontelle claimed that Bob still seemed to be perturbed about the situation when she spoke to him on the phone that night. So if these issues were not resolved and someone paid made Bob a visit the following day, I could see things escalating out of control and the responsible party disposing of Bob's body in a panic. After all, since Fontel was scheduled to arrive in two days, this would have been one of the last opportunities the family had to resolve the situation while Bob was alone in his house.
Speaker 4: That's very true.
Speaker 3: I wasn't thinking about that because the girls were together during the argument where they all left fine. But then the next day, Jeff is there doing something for Bob. And is it possible that there was a follow up to that argument with one of the sisters with Jeff and one of the sisters, is it possible there was another incident that only one of them was involved in, and therefore the other girls would not know that that meeting had taken place.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's cercially possible. If there was, I'd be more inclined to think that the perpetrator was Julie because then her own husband would help her cover it up. And I mentioned earlier that when they did the disappeared at so A couple of years later, Roberta and Paula were interviewed on the episode, but Julie and Jeff were not, And that doesn't really being their guilty of anything, But I can also understand why they would be less inclined to want to talk to a camera in front of a camera if they covered something up.
Speaker 1: However, we must reiterate that investigators have never openly indicated that they consider anyone from Bob's family to be a suspect, as it seems like most of the suspicion directed against them has come from online sleuths who are not privy to the full facts. At one point, Roberta stated that she was reluctant to talk to the media because she felt that she'd been unfairly represented in the past. So perhaps some unjust suspicion has been placed on Bob's family. What we know Jeff's whereabouts on the afternoon Bob went missing, It's never been publicly released. What kind of alibis the three daughters might have had that day. I'm not sure where Paula and Roberta were living at that time, but Julie and Jeff lived in Running Spring, which is located over sixty miles away from Placentia. And while we might be reading too much into this, the reporting about the two persons of interest who were detained in twenty nineteen described them as quote unquote local residents, which implies that they lived in Placentia. Again, we don't know the identities of these two people, and if it might be some combination of Jeff, Julie, Paula or Roberta. Hell, even if they were seemingly cleared as suspects, there's been speculation that these two individuals might have been Josie and her husband. It's certainly possible that Bob was murdered over his inheritance, but for all we know, perhaps this ankle is completely unrelated to the situation, and there's just a piece of the puzzle that we're missing here very much.
Speaker 3: I mean, think about this. It could be Josie and her husband, because if he said you have to pay me back. What if that was not the agreement, like I said earlier, what if Josie was like.
Speaker 4: Are you kidding? That was a gift you gave to me.
Speaker 3: I'm not paying you back. But then there's a lot of pressure and worry that he's going to make me pay him back. Eighty six thousand dollars for someone who was struggling financially, could be a reason just to keep him quiet. Also, what about one of those people that he had a ledger of people he did help or loan out or do business deals with. What if one of them didn't want to or couldn't pay him back and felt like they were having their back pushed against the wall and had to keep him quiet or get rid of him so that they did not owe him. It's very possible that it's something like that, where I don't care about your money you have now I'm trying to get myself out of owing you anything back or having to repay you for something.
Speaker 2: That's true. We don't have any information about Bob having loaned money to anyone else, but he has been reported as a guy who stringely kept track of his finances and would require people to pay interest when they paid the loan back, even if it was members of their own family. So it is possible that it is financially related, but it involves a person who has not yet been mentioned yet in any of the versions of this story. So cases in which elderly people are victimized are always tragic, but it's incredibly heartbreaking when it involves someone like Bob, who suffered a terrible tragedy with the loss of his wife, spent a year mired in depression, but then an unexpected event allowed him to regain his happiness and he was prepared to spend the last chapter of his life with someone he loved before it was all taken away from him. It's possible that law enforcement has a pretty good idea and happened and just needs that one final piece of evidence to close this case. But Bob definitely deserves justice. So if you happen to have any information about the unsolved disappearance of Bob Herod, please contact the Placentia Police Department at seven one four nine nine three eight one sixty four at seven one four, nine nine three eight one sixty four Jules Ashley, any final thoughts in this case?
Speaker 4: Oh, this one's just sad.
Speaker 3: You have a family who's already grieved, their anticipating you know, they've already lost their mother. They're grieving this idea. Their dad's getting older, they're worried that he's getting taken advantage of. They're trying to protect him and their future. You have a woman who is reconnected with a literally just a young love and this kind of fantasy of what their life could have been like with a man who also was lonely and wanted a partner, and after sixty some odd years they reconnect with the help of their children and get married suddenly and quickly, because.
Speaker 4: We don't have time to waste.
Speaker 3: And in the end, two days before she's supposed to move out with him, he just disappears, and we have no answers, I think for everyone you know. Unfortunately, his new bride is also deceased, and so there isn't getting her any answers or any kind of justice for her.
Speaker 4: But the children are still alive.
Speaker 3: He has many generations who want answers in this case. And again, without knowing what happened to Bob, it's possible that someone caused him harm and therefore or at large in the community, which should worry everybody. So this is just one of those, like you said, you could start and spend three fourths of this case talking about romance and love and grief and his family trying to rebuild, and then all of a sudden you find out Bob's gone and maybe was harmed by someone. It's a really bizarre, tragic turn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the lost love angle of Bob and Fontelle and how they really just missed each other and how they were kind of blocked from having that life together, and he had this beautiful life with Georgia and they had these three daughters. And then when we look at what happened to Bob, it seems that there's multiple people who could have had a motive to murder him. But at the end of the day, most of those people, except for Josie, would have wanted his body to be found so that then his will would pay out, right, his estate could pay out, they could settle all of that. So it makes me more inclined to believe that there's either some missing variable of these two people are just two people that we don't know, or that it could be Josie and her husband, but they seem to have been cleared. But I do think there's a possibility that could be Julie and her husband, or maybe her husband acted alone, maybe he confronted Bob and it was an accident and then they were playing They just had to play catch up and did this cleanup, and maybe somebody else helped them dispose of the body, and that's why there was no forensic evidence in his vehicle. But I don't believe strongly any one of those theories because I just don't think that we have enough information to truly have me lean one way or the other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely agree. Yeah, I remember hearing about this case even before it was featured on Disappeared, because I know there were lengthy discussions about it on the web slues forum, and the majority of the suspicion was directed at Bob's daughters. But even though it would makes sense that perhaps they killed him to inherit his estate, we've already expressed our skepticism that all three three of them would be willing to go through with it together and keep their mouths shut. So it makes you wonder could it just be one of them, Could it be two of them? Could it possibly be Jeff doing it alone and maybe his wife and the other daughters don't even know about it. There's just a number of different possibilities, But like you said, no hard evidence pointing towards any of them. But I still get the impression that police have their own ideas about what happened. They have two persons of interest in mind, but just don't have enough proof to file any charges. And there's just a lot that they're not releasing to the public in order to protect the integrity of the investigation. The one thing I do believe is that it wasn't Fontel. I don't think she had any knowledge or involvement in Bob's disappearance. We already talked about how that's the most heartbreaking part about this story is the whole heartwarming lost love angle where him and Fontel married after reconciling for the first time in over sixty years and seemed destined to live out a very happy rest of their days before a major tragedy took place, and we still don't have any answers all these years later, and who knows, maybe we just need someone to come forward and give that one piece of evidence, that one missing piece of the puzzle to resolve this case and finally make an arrest, because bob loved ones have just gone way too long without any conclusive answers and he definitely deserves justice.
Speaker 1: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 2: Yes, the Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon if you join our five dollars tier Tier two. We also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on The Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon, and if you join our highest tier tier free the ten dollar tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of On Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 1: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jeweles and Nashty Patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Pathwent Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very mini but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those, so we hope you'll check out those patreons. We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 2: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or d rate and review is greatly appreciate it. You can email us at the Pathwent Chili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwin. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 1: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy