Speaker 1: And now let's look in on our old friend, doctor Watson. Doctor, I'm out here on the patio, Come out and join me.
Speaker 2: Quiet with it, Quiet on it.
Speaker 1: I see the welcoming committees here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this little scoundrels, they begin to think they own this patio. Coop them off for shure, mister Bartel and the Sutlers go down.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll get all to go, Go on, hot to go.
Speaker 2: That's it, my boy.
Speaker 3: The matter of fact, it's rather appropriate that the puppies should be here tonight, as in the story that I'm going to tell you a dog that played the most prominent part.
Speaker 2: A dog.
Speaker 1: What kind of a dog?
Speaker 4: Do I?
Speaker 3: My boy, don't get me anticipating my story for once.
Speaker 2: I'm going to start at the beginning.
Speaker 3: Which was on a summer morning in eighteen hundred and ninety, not long after my marriage.
Speaker 2: I've gone back to my.
Speaker 3: Private practice, you know, and Sherlock Holmes was living alone in our old Baker Street rooms.
Speaker 1: For you still saw him, I suppose, indeed I did.
Speaker 3: Mister Bartel. In fact occasion, I even persuaded him to forego his bohemian habits so far as to visit my wife and me that. To get back to my story, I've been exceptionally busy that summer, and consquence was feeling rather shall we say, nervy and run down, so much so that Mary, oh missus Watson persuaded me to take.
Speaker 2: A fortnite's holiday.
Speaker 3: We went down to the charming little village of Taplow on the lower reaches of the River Thames. That so often happens, the best laid schemes of mice and men gang.
Speaker 2: A to glad.
Speaker 1: I guess the holiday backfired on your doctor and you found yourself involved in a mystery, maybe a mystery calling for the aid of your old friend Sherlock hol Right, correct, mister Boto.
Speaker 3: We'd only be down there a couple of days when the trouble began. In fact, the whole thing became so involved that I thought the best thing to do was to put the whole strange story.
Speaker 2: In a letter to Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 3: This I did, and I can imagine how he chuckled.
Speaker 5: When dear old Watson ms to feel little out of his depth. My dear Homes, I need your help, or at least your advice. Two days down here and I've become involved in the most unusual problem again this morning, when Mary and I were out an out to breakfast stroll, the summer shining, the birds were singing, and there seemed every indication of it being a happy.
Speaker 3: You know, Mary, I've always thought up to now that barn it was rather.
Speaker 2: A silly word.
Speaker 6: I still do, John, Dear.
Speaker 3: Nevertheless, it's the only possible word to describe the day like this.
Speaker 6: Very well, Dear, it's fame personally. I'm so happy to see you relaxing that I don't care what the weather's like. You've been working much too hard. A busy year, yes, and last year I shared it home. Its monopolized most of your time. At least I've got you to myself. For one.
Speaker 3: Always been half as jealous of my association with Home.
Speaker 6: Not jealous, dear, But I must confess his influence on He wasn't entirely for the good. He had a habit of peeping you out all night.
Speaker 3: You should be used to that, dear, after all, it happens often enough, been my practice to John.
Speaker 6: But on those occasions I know where you are and don't worry about you. And again, you've copied so many of mister Holmes eccentricities, keeping your tobacco in a Persian slipper, for instance. And oh, John, look down? Do you see that woman walking across the field towards her? You know, I'm not sure, but I think it's Ellen Warburton. I believe she does live somewhere near here.
Speaker 2: Who is Ellen Warburton?
Speaker 6: An old friend of mine? She's fright, really clever in advanced. She's interested in women's suffrage and all sorts of things.
Speaker 2: Sounds dreadful.
Speaker 3: Imagine giving women the right to vote her places in the home.
Speaker 6: It is Ellen, Ellen Eara Anna Warburton. Oh, how are you?
Speaker 4: Very nice to see you again.
Speaker 6: I'm Mary Watson. Now this is my husband.
Speaker 2: Are you doing miss Warburton?
Speaker 4: How do you do?
Speaker 2: Mary?
Speaker 4: I'd heard that you'd married. Aren't you a medical detective or something?
Speaker 6: Mister Watson not quite dear to.
Speaker 3: Hold a degree of Doctor of Medicine from the University of London, Madam.
Speaker 6: But he's helped the great Sherlock homes on many of his capes.
Speaker 4: That's how I've heard of him.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 4: Do you mind if I walk with you a little way?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 7: Not Ellen, come along?
Speaker 2: Heard you live near her? Miss Wooden?
Speaker 4: About four miles away, Doctor Chevy Grange, I'm a glorified housekeeper for my.
Speaker 3: Uncle, Colonel Walberton.
Speaker 4: Oh dear, that sounds rather dull for you. As a matter of fact, the state of my uncle's health at the present moment makes it anything but dull for me. That's why I asked if I might walk with you for a way.
Speaker 6: Well, what's the matter with him, Ellan?
Speaker 4: He's going mad before my eyes and I can do nothing to.
Speaker 2: Help him mad. Come to miss Wolton.
Speaker 3: Doctor.
Speaker 4: I'm not an hysterical girl. In fact, I regard myself as something of a scientist. I studied physics for a number of years at Bristol University, and I tell you that my uncle is going insane on the symptoms. Most of the time he's perfectly normal. But when he's a tax aeronim, he gets in the most frightful rages and says the strangest things. He's even complained of hearing a shrill been whistled that comes out of nowhere. I can't hear it, not can anyone else. But Uncle gets into the most dreadful state. I wonder would you have a look at him for me? Doctor Watson, John will do everything he can. Thank you so much. Then, supposing you've both come over.
Speaker 5: This evening, we found ourselves approaching Chevy Gray. There's rather a forbidding looking place, covering with.
Speaker 7: More than an acre, I should say.
Speaker 5: As we stood waiting for admittance, I must confess that I was not an Italian.
Speaker 2: Roomy looking place, isn't it me?
Speaker 4: It's a little forbidding John, Dear, Oh, dear?
Speaker 8: What's the.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a tom tom?
Speaker 3: Someone singing a weird chun seems to be coming from the direction of that barn over there.
Speaker 6: It doesn't seem quite appropriate, Dear, does it?
Speaker 8: I mean?
Speaker 6: Not in the heart of fucking of chair?
Speaker 4: Why not n coming door again?
Speaker 3: John?
Speaker 6: Perhaps they didn't he did.
Speaker 2: Who is it?
Speaker 9: Oh, it's yiss, it's.
Speaker 2: Doctor and missus Watson, my good man.
Speaker 7: He has the name, sir.
Speaker 5: Come in please.
Speaker 2: The colonel's expecting you, sir. He's in the study this way, sir, by the way, Hacker.
Speaker 3: As we were waiting outside the front door, we heard a strange chance and it sounded as if someone was beating a tom tom.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's that was missus Nader hearing more of a.
Speaker 5: From the beginning let's see what happened next. There's a very unpleasant fellow hacker showed us into the study where we met Colonel Roberton Thursty.
Speaker 7: Was hard to believe that he was a sick man.
Speaker 5: He looked well enough and his conversation was sprightly. Spent most of his army life in Africa as military governor in a Zulu district, and the Afghans fears and other trophies that lined to study walls born mute evidence to his past life. He encouraged me to tell him some of my own army experiences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very wrong.
Speaker 3: I was Warburton on the holder of this wretched elephant river was a raging torrent and I couldn't get the confounded animal to budge.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: I'm a pretty strong swimmer, you know, on several cups of swimming. As a matter of fact, of course, I was much younger.
Speaker 6: Man there, Dear you interrupted, Colonel Warburton's.
Speaker 3: Story for instant would be interesting.
Speaker 6: I do go on, Colonel, You're sorry you were telling us that you were intercepted by an African drum code metic.
Speaker 8: Oh yes, yes, but I don't want to sound conceited. But I doubt if there was another Englishman in the world who could have told you what those particular drum beats made.
Speaker 2: I don't doubt that, Colonel woverden Felt.
Speaker 8: I spent a good number of years studying the native customs. I spotted the code right away. It meant that an uprising was planned to start broughout the whole province at noon the next day.
Speaker 2: Of course, I there it is again, a devilish whistle.
Speaker 8: Can you hear, doctor Watson, Missus Watson, I can hear nothing?
Speaker 2: Huh no can I? Of course not? No one could hear it but me.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, Now, Colonel Warbton, don't get so excited.
Speaker 2: It's black magic, That's what it is.
Speaker 8: Realize that the powers of jungle witchcraft are completely unknown in this country, doctor Watson. But I know of them, and I can think of many people who might wish to employ them against me.
Speaker 6: Come in, Come in.
Speaker 8: Oh it's you, Nada.
Speaker 3: Great Scott, she's she's very beautiful, Nada.
Speaker 8: I want you to meet some friends of Evans, doctor and missus Watson.
Speaker 9: I am very pleased to meet both of you.
Speaker 2: How do you do?
Speaker 3: How do you do?
Speaker 8: Miss Nada's father was a Chagga Jeweler, one of the greatest Zulu chieftains I ever had the privilege of knowing he did need the rare honor to swear blood brotherhood. So when the missionary is sent not at in England to complete her education, I insisted that she spend her first few months here under my way there.
Speaker 2: Listen, what is it, Colonel?
Speaker 5: That whistle a game?
Speaker 2: Haven's sake? Say that you've heard it this time? Please say that you did. I didn't hear things? Well I did, and I know where that's how it came from.
Speaker 3: And I put down that spare once with your colonel.
Speaker 8: Kill me.
Speaker 2: I'll kill them first. I don't try it.
Speaker 3: Someone something at.
Speaker 6: All, Uncle's great Scott the spare, mister barlynch whistle.
Speaker 8: I heard it again, Ellen, Now I'm going to find where it came from.
Speaker 2: Poor uncle.
Speaker 4: Of course you heard no sound, nothing, Ellen. What can we do to help him?
Speaker 3: Doctor Watson, well, it's hard the same as Warden. I'm sure that medical helps what she needs.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: He seems perfectly saying and lucid except for these strange outbursts.
Speaker 4: But we must do something.
Speaker 2: I proposed to Madam as soon.
Speaker 3: As I get back to the inn I think I'll write to my old friend Sherlock.
Speaker 5: Holmes and ask you, I can't feel that the man should be committed an asylum and get obviously when these attacks are enemies. As a matter that had well fascinating problem and one of the course for speedy action, I think a telegram to my friend Watson might help to tellify some aspects of the case. You see, i've John H. Watson red line in Taplow Bucks.
Speaker 7: I suggest.
Speaker 3: One important fact. Does the Warburton household.
Speaker 2: Have a dog? Reply?
Speaker 3: Homes on that's a cryptic answer to my letter.
Speaker 6: Yes, here it is. I'm gonna paid Ellen, I'll be disappointed. He's coming over to join us for lunch to see if you have any.
Speaker 2: New Well earth can dogs have to do with the case?
Speaker 6: I can't possibly. Here's Helen now. Good morning, Ellen, good morning.
Speaker 2: Good morning, good morning.
Speaker 4: I suppose it's too early to have received any reply from mister Holmes.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: As a matter of fact, I just got this telegram from him, if Red you like, I can't see that it makes much sense Bett, but that's extraordinary.
Speaker 4: I did have a little dog. He was killed a week ago, but it didn't occur to me to tell you about it yesterday?
Speaker 6: Was that amazing? How could mister Holmes have known about her?
Speaker 3: Little that Holmes doesn't know? My dear, how has your dog killed this Morden?
Speaker 4: I found him in the ground with his head smashed in by a stone?
Speaker 2: Or how dreadful?
Speaker 7: What do you think?
Speaker 4: It might have been a poacher? And then again it might have been your uncle. It's possible when he's in those rages. I don't think he knows what he's doing.
Speaker 2: That's very important.
Speaker 3: I think I shall go and send Homes a telegram at once.
Speaker 2: Don't wake lunch for me.
Speaker 6: Why did they have to walk over to the station, john, dear?
Speaker 3: See if there was an answer at the station telegraph office for the while that I sent Homes.
Speaker 6: Oh, it's only pour thirty, dear, it's hardly possible. Point abounded as quickly as that. In any case, they delivered the telegram to the hotel you Now.
Speaker 3: It was a nice walk manner. Hello, there's a train in the station. Now, I wonder where it's from.
Speaker 6: Why don't you ask pep porter?
Speaker 5: Yet?
Speaker 2: A porter? What trains it? Oh? It's the London train, sir, Right on time? Next top ready? Not many people getting over her other.
Speaker 3: Great Scott, Look who's here here?
Speaker 6: It's mister Holmes and he's got a dog on a leasha.
Speaker 2: What hello, how are you? This is what?
Speaker 9: And how nice to see you again?
Speaker 3: Thank you, I have.
Speaker 2: Relighted your hair, old fellow.
Speaker 3: We walked to the station to see if you'd answered my telegram, and here you are in person.
Speaker 5: That occurred to me that i'd be down here in the same time that it would take a telegram to reach you, and I decided that a day or two in the country.
Speaker 7: Would make a person change.
Speaker 5: Apart from the fact that Colonel Roberton's problem interests me enormously.
Speaker 2: We wanna you bring a dog?
Speaker 5: I thought that this was the case in which a dog would be of invaluables. Be careful, John, yes, look out, old Jeff.
Speaker 7: I think it would be said, I not Paddy.
Speaker 5: I pick him up in the Milian Road for a couple of florine and I hear he's a dog which should have.
Speaker 7: Remained in London.
Speaker 5: A singularly unattractive nature seems to have been entirely ruined by an ass train ride person.
Speaker 3: Broke, isn't it by the way home? What do you make of the case from my little.
Speaker 5: Well, I should prefer to reserve my judgment till I've met the colonel.
Speaker 7: However, I will about say one opinion.
Speaker 2: Oh what's that?
Speaker 5: The paraphrase a proverb. Don't disbelieve all you don't hear?
Speaker 3: Well? I can't think why someone doesn't answer. They can't all be out.
Speaker 2: The dog up to his feet.
Speaker 7: But I don't want arrive too much commotion.
Speaker 2: Quiet.
Speaker 6: Don't you think perhaps we could.
Speaker 8: Try the door?
Speaker 2: Jun Yeah, certainly is a good idea. Hello, hellos, I'm locked.
Speaker 7: Let's go in, old fellow, Let's go in.
Speaker 2: Colonel Warburton.
Speaker 3: Colonel Warburton, Ellen, what was the name of that butler?
Speaker 2: Was a hacker? Hacker?
Speaker 7: Hacker to be in an empty house?
Speaker 2: The doc food that I am.
Speaker 7: I shouldn't have let him. You come on, Ah, we're too late.
Speaker 6: The poor dog he's been killed, yes.
Speaker 3: For brute, stabbed to death by one of the colonel spears. That proves it, Holmes, The man is mad.
Speaker 7: I think not watching it.
Speaker 5: I think it proves that Colonel Warburton is a great deal more saying than some of the members of his household.
Speaker 1: You'll hear the rest of doctor Watson's story in just a few seconds. Time for me to remind you that there's one secret every smart woman knows. Simply, good wine makes good food taste better. And buy good wine naturally, I mean Petrie Wine. Try a Petrie wine with your dinner. If you want a wonderful red wine, try Petrie California Burgundy. If you want a perfect white wine, try Petrie California saw turn. If I try them both, you'll agree. I'm sure that next to your good cooking, nothing can do more for a meal than a glass of good wine, a glass of Petree wine. And now back to tonight's new Sherlock Holmes Adventure, the story of Colonel Warburton's Madden.
Speaker 2: Homes. Why are we hitting for this farm? Seems to maybe we should be back in the house.
Speaker 7: Who chat?
Speaker 5: Found the house empty? Besides, I thought I heard.
Speaker 2: What is it? Listen it's the same sound that Mary and I heard yesterday.
Speaker 7: Once more, it's coming from the barn.
Speaker 9: Come on, watch me quietly. We can see through this window here.
Speaker 2: It's that Zulu girl Ladder. She's beating a drum and chanting. Was the man with her the colonel woman?
Speaker 3: No, you said it's that serving for the hecker.
Speaker 2: What in thunder is he doing here?
Speaker 9: He assisting the snader in the summer of our African mysticism.
Speaker 2: It's magic you're tapping with.
Speaker 3: This is the colonel said, Let's go in and catch him red.
Speaker 7: Hello, stay quiet, Let's talk to him soon enough.
Speaker 5: The moment, I feel it's a much more urgent if we find Colonel Warburton.
Speaker 10: Come on, there's the colonel facing up and down in front of the house with Mary and his niece.
Speaker 2: Miss Warburton.
Speaker 3: We shouldn't have left the women alone with him, and now the man's dangerous.
Speaker 7: I don't think the women have been in any danger.
Speaker 2: Watson.
Speaker 3: Well Holmes and I decided we do take a little walk. It proved very interesting, Miss Warburton. This is mister Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 4: How do you do, mister Holmes. I'm so glad you're.
Speaker 5: Here, Miss Warbton.
Speaker 2: And this is Colonel Warburton.
Speaker 8: Mister Holmes, Eh, I suppose you think I killed your wretched dog.
Speaker 7: Well, I might have done it.
Speaker 8: And I hear that whistle, something seems to snap in my brain.
Speaker 7: I might have killed it.
Speaker 8: Why doesn't your doctor friends certify me as insane? Send me where I belonged before.
Speaker 2: I do what he wants em.
Speaker 4: Poor man, Isn't there anything you can.
Speaker 8: Do for him?
Speaker 7: Mister Holmes, I certainly will try to, Miss Warbon. What's no fellow? I wonder if you follow the colonel and give him a sedative. I'm afraid he has quite not deal with boy this Roberton. Where were you when my dog was killed.
Speaker 4: Down in the greenhouse. As soon as I heard the poor animal helping, I ran up to the house.
Speaker 6: I see, mister Holmes, you are going to be able to help the colonel, aren't you.
Speaker 5: I'm convinced of it, missus Watson. That is why I brought a dog withiness in London. But now that he's dead, I must obtain another one before I can proceed further the case.
Speaker 7: Now I wonder where on earth I can find John.
Speaker 6: Look, look, don't buy the gate. There's a little girl walking with the dark.
Speaker 4: That's Sarah and Whistle, the daughter of our neighbors.
Speaker 2: Sir, excuse me just a moment.
Speaker 5: Sarah, Oh, Sarah, Sarah, my dear, What a what a pretty dog you have there?
Speaker 7: What's his name?
Speaker 4: It's her? Her name's Brugen.
Speaker 2: What's your name? Holmes Shell Holmes.
Speaker 6: She Lock.
Speaker 4: That's a funny name.
Speaker 7: It is, Yes, it is, isn't it?
Speaker 5: Look here, Sarah that he has a nice shiny half crown for you.
Speaker 4: Why are you giving me money?
Speaker 7: Because I love dogs? I want to borrow what did you call him?
Speaker 9: Boje Bujum?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yes, says I want to borrow boojum partner. Why, well, I want to I won't want to play with her, Sarah.
Speaker 6: You can play with her here.
Speaker 2: She's awfully friendly.
Speaker 5: Well usually I really want to take her for a nice walk.
Speaker 4: Why he's just had Now look.
Speaker 5: Here, Sarah, it's a beautifully shiny half crown.
Speaker 4: Mammys told me I mustn't take money from stranger.
Speaker 7: I'm not a stranger. I'm a friend of Colonel Roberton.
Speaker 5: Yes, I am missus Watson. You see, I wanted to sell a half a crown for borrowing boo Jem for a short while.
Speaker 2: But she well, she doesn't want to do it.
Speaker 7: Sarah.
Speaker 6: Does bou jem like bones? O?
Speaker 2: Yes, loves them.
Speaker 6: We've got a lot of bones up at the house we'd like to give her.
Speaker 8: Have they got plenty of meat?
Speaker 4: Plenty?
Speaker 6: She can have a wonderful piece and then we'll bring her back in half an hour.
Speaker 4: All right, go on, bou Jim, Now promise you'll bring her back in half promise?
Speaker 9: Yes, Sarah, and Sarah?
Speaker 7: What about the what about the half crown?
Speaker 2: Well, I'll take it home and ask none.
Speaker 5: I keep it good goodbye, goodbye, and take care.
Speaker 1: She's a sweet little girl.
Speaker 2: Mister Holmes.
Speaker 6: You're not going to expose Bootoom to any danger.
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 5: None, missus Watson? Otherwise I shouldn't have borrowed her. I'm convinced that Bulgem will give us a clue to what appears to be Colonel Warburton's madness.
Speaker 2: Now let me see you.
Speaker 5: We're all here, Miss Warbarton, the Colonel, Miss Nada, Hacker, and the dog Bullgem. Yes, now, ladies and gentlemen, I propose to conduct an experiment. Before I conducted, I should like to point out the chronology of events in this case. First, miss not arrived here.
Speaker 4: Mister Holmes, you're not suggested a pleased?
Speaker 7: Let me finish, Miss Dada.
Speaker 5: First, Miss not arrived here.
Speaker 7: Second, the Colonel.
Speaker 5: First heard the mysterious whistle. Third, your dog was killed, Miss Warbarton. Both the whistling set in in dead earnest Uh, the Colonel Woberton and miss Warbitton doesn't that and suggest anything to you?
Speaker 4: No, I can't say that it does.
Speaker 8: Mister Holms, you don't see what you're driving in.
Speaker 2: We should be more well then I will.
Speaker 5: I shall now conduct my experiment. I once more to watch Colonel Woberton and the dog. Boojem, excuse me while I turn my back, ah.
Speaker 2: Dirtous again? That whistle the dog? What does it mean?
Speaker 7: It being the fi wooden whistle in my hand?
Speaker 5: Is the answer to the mystery that aren't made by this cunningly designed instrument? Is about the normal range of pitch? You see, the colonel has hypersensitive ears. If the dog heard it, perhaps I should have said the normal human range of pitch.
Speaker 3: Didn't You?
Speaker 6: Suppose someone has deliberately been trying to drive the.
Speaker 2: Colonel man coss man. That's why the dugs were murdered. Whoever it was you that a.
Speaker 4: Dog would give the game away, And it's not hard to guess who that someone is.
Speaker 8: Nada.
Speaker 4: This started when you came here. Is this your gratitude for the Colonel's kindness to you, endangering his sanity with your evil black magic?
Speaker 2: That is not true.
Speaker 8: One.
Speaker 7: I'm a Christmas Wrobdon is not her?
Speaker 5: Yes, Dr Watson, and I watched you in the band Something to Courts an while ago with Hacker. Were you engaged in practicing any form of black magic?
Speaker 4: Ooh, I was praying to my old guards to save.
Speaker 1: The current of sanity.
Speaker 3: What were you doing there, Hacker? Don't tell me you were praying to all gods too. I used to be a chapel going man, so I don't know no harm in trying something new, I always say.
Speaker 5: In the case, why should Misnada wish to persecute the colonel?
Speaker 4: It might be for some tribal revealed.
Speaker 8: That's ridiculous element her father, and I wish one blood brother exactly her.
Speaker 5: No, it should be obvious who had a motive for making the colonel a Pierre mad his.
Speaker 7: Niece and heiress.
Speaker 5: What do you mean he has studied physics, you will remember, and so could know about super sonic research. Possibly ship was afraid the Colonel might leave his a state it was not, and so wished him to appear insane and thereby invalidate And you will in any case, I found this whistle in a drawer in your room miss robardon er Erin, Oh, could you I did.
Speaker 4: It for your sake, to save you from Nada. She's just an adventuress, only you won't see it.
Speaker 5: On what action you wish me to take regarding your niece, Miss Walberton, my niece, I have no niece, Mister Holmes, I'm not a my dear.
Speaker 3: Oh, an amazing case home, man. It wasn't trouble. The way home solved it.
Speaker 6: It was very interesting, dear. I was quite enthralled.
Speaker 5: Now I think I will return to London and let you too finish your holiday in peace.
Speaker 6: Before you do that, mister Holmes, there's one thing we should do. Go jump we promised you.
Speaker 5: Now, yes, yes, of course, of course. I think the three of us might walk her home. But before we do that, I suggest we rummage still the kitchen. The kitchen nor for owns, dear exactly, and burns with plenty of meat on them