Speaker 1: Good morning and welcome in. It is five oh six here Kentucky and his morning news. Happy Friday, everybody, Nick coffee with you, Scott Fitzgerald alongside mister John Alden also he is with us and we'll have our first news update coming up at five point thirty with John Shannon, and we were wrapping up a week first week sort of with with with the new flavor here if I can, if I may call myself that and uh, I will let you guys know right out of the gate. I did make it last night. I did.
Speaker 2: It's awesome.
Speaker 1: I did make it to the end of the Pacers game, and I'm glad that I did. Even if they would not have been able to pull off what was once again another come from behind victory that you just rarely ever see, it still would have been worth it, just because you know, I want to watch my team play. But I took your advice, Scott. I did get a little bit of a of a of a quick nap in and I felt like, you know, it paid off. I had a good balance and yes it did work out. So thank you for your your for your encouragement yesterday.
Speaker 2: So power me through. I'm so glad you made it, dude, Yeah, because that's it and it works.
Speaker 1: And again, I miss.
Speaker 2: So much, you know, so many sports events because no one told me any of that, and it was like, I hate that I missed that stuff, and in the Super Bowls that I missed. But I thought about you last night when I went to bed. I was like, I wonder if Nick. I almost because I was gonna text you to see if you're gonna make it. But I'm glad you got to see the pacers.
Speaker 1: I made it and it was it was well worth it. Yeah. Yeah, all right, So we've got an update on traffic and weather coming your way here just a couple of minutes. We're gonna have a lot on the on the docket today if you will a lot to get to. We will have Mayor Craig Greenberg. He'll stop by at eight o'clock. Oh good. Yeah, looking forward to that conversation. And that's been a I would say my first week here. That has been the biggest story. I think that has been consistent throughout our conversations, and that is just making sure that not only are they gonna hold people accountable who break the law, do things that you can't do in the Highlands on Saturday nights, well into the evening, early into the morning. But it's it's more so preventing it from even getting to a point where what we saw the last couple of weeks even can even happen. So we'll talk to Mary Greenberg at about eight o'clock. And I didn't realize this, but last night Craig met with the the some business owners and neighbors in the area in a private meeting and hopefully he can give us a little bit of a little bit of info as far as as far as how that went. So we'll do that around eight o'clock. And look, I'm telling you sometimes in the last I don't know really since twenty sixteen, there have been there have been some moments where I'm following something on social media, like the rest of the country, and I stopped to think, is this real? Is this really happening? Is this real life? And yesterday was one of those days when it comes to maybe the most powerful individual in our country, the President, Donald Trump, and maybe the richest man, or at least one of them in the world, Elon Musk, and the back and forth social media fight, if you will, I mean like it It's almost something you see eighth graders in middle school that are beefing with each other, just public jabs over social media. So we'll certainly get into that. And I mean, it's really happening, and it's certainly a big talking point. But who would have thought that these two hegoes, these two guys would potentially butt heads, and you know, it gets to a point where they're not exactly on the best of terms. So I don't know if there were any odds out there as far as how long it would last, but I would say the under was probably the right play given where things are right now. So again, we'll get into that a lot throughout these next roughly four hours. We've got sports coming up to and I'm telling you, guys, when it comes to my Pacers, I don't know if people realize just how how crazy these come from behind victories have been so that I.
Speaker 2: Love it when people get jacked about their teams. Yeah, when they have good nights like that, I mean, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: I mean, and it's not just my Pacers, I mean the Louis of Cardinals getting it so today in super regional action over a Jim Patterson Stadium, I know we'll talk about that this morning, Scott, so yep. Should be a good Friday. Happy Friday, everybody. We made it to the weekend, or at least close to it. We're getting there. Stick around your first update of trafficking weather coming up right here, right now on news Radio eight forty whas. It is five fifteen here at Kentucky. This Morning News on news Radio eight forty whas. Take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at whas dot com. I'm learning on the go here, and I should have realized, well, thank you. What I mean, though, is I'm learning that it's impossible to perfectly predict the weather. But because I mentioned it throughout the mornings now often, I mean, if you, if you, if anybody sees me out and you just hey, what's what's the expectations for the forecast today? I got you because I say it many times throughout these four hours. And yesterday the rain that we had been talking about really since Wednesday just it never it never showed up, never arrived. And I'm certainly not complaining, but I feel like I was a liar yesterday. But that's that's an overreaction, right because obviously it's impossible to uh to predict it perfectly. And I know these guys clearly know what they're doing. But it's a good thing that the rain didn't arrive. Now. The bad thing is that it may arrive right as soon as they're ready to get things started over at Jim Patterson Stadium. That's that's a worry. But you know, are you hoply mother nature will cooperate today?
Speaker 2: Have you become the weather guy in your house?
Speaker 1: Now? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my family.
Speaker 3: Is it going to rain today?
Speaker 1: I mean, this may surprise you sometimes, you know, I talk a lot. It's just kind of my nature. So if I you know, I may butt myself into a conversation about weather. If I hear somebody that is sharing a forecast that I know is not coming from our pros over there at WK, why I'll let him know. Hey, no Melosa bitch says otherwise, And I trust him, So I.
Speaker 2: Dude, I text him religious because my family, my whole family, will ask me, is it going to rain today? And I'll tell him Matt told me we're not gonna get a rain. And then they go, well, I'm looking at the app here and it says, what you ask me for, Well, you turn into the weather guy.
Speaker 1: Here, of course, and I should I should realize this, but when you were on this station eight forty w h a s and it's such a source for a lot of things including weather, traffic, news and a lot of other things. If it's on this this station, this brand, they're gonna they're gonna trust and believe it. So, you know, I just want people to know we're trusting the experts. And sometimes, you know, things don't play out the way that that they expect, and sometimes that's a good thing. I mean, who wanted rain yesterday? I know I didn't rain. It's no fun.
Speaker 2: And it always cracks me up when people say they'll say something like, you know, we well we didn't get anything.
Speaker 1: You know, you said we were gonna get it.
Speaker 2: Well we were supposed to get severe storms. They go, well, that was kind of a dud. But did you want them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, did you want them?
Speaker 2: It's kind of like, let's do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they trust me. I think, you know, for those that are often bringing up the fact that they they do get it wrong at times, I think if you talk to any of them, they would let you know they I don't think you'd get the satisfaction that you might think you would get as far as the boom in your face, because they'll let you know, Yeah, we're wrong. Often, we've been wrong before, We'll be wrong again. That's kind of the nature, the nature of the business. So the feud that is, I mean, the bromance is over. I mentioned I referenced it as a bromance yesterday, meaning the relationship between Elon Musk and Donald Trump, and it is escalated rather quickly in the last really the last seventy two hours, but really yesterday was a day. This was something that was put out there by a talk show host I believe he's in the Pennsylvania area, Philly market, and he puts something out that I feel like is absolutely is spot on that in a two hour time span, you had Elon Musk say that Trump is in the Epstein files. Elon says Trump should be impeached. Steve Bannon says Elon should be deported. It takes at least six months of storylines to develop something like that in professional wrestling, and it happened in two hours. I mean, talking about some big jabs flying flying back and forth, and when there's when there's a fight, rather it be social media, internet fight or you know, maybe a potential fight. I mean, Pete, regardless of really what you feel, how you feel about those that are involved in set fight, it's just kind of hard to look away, right, drama cells and certainly this is this is what that is. But yeah, what especially between those two Yes, yeah, I mean again, one of the most powerful individuals around and one of the wealthiest guys around and they're having an internet fight, like you see from you know, so what do you do school?
Speaker 2: It's very interesting because I saw somebody driving in Tesla and they had a bumper sticker on.
Speaker 1: They actually put a bumper sticker on in Tesla.
Speaker 2: And they said, I bought this before I knew who he was. And so the question is, now, if you were, if you were kind of in both the Trump and the Musk camp, which where do you fall?
Speaker 1: Now That's a great question because I get the sense that without anybody being supered, I mean, some people are being super direct and they're letting you know which side they stand on of the two, and then others I think are a little bit torn because it did seem as if for a time there when they when the bromance was hot and heavy, everybody was all in collectively. But you're right, I mean, yeah, it's uh, it's like when your parents split up exactly. We're watching the parents have a divorce, and you know it's it's something. It is something, no doubt. All Right, we've got your first update of sports coming up on the other side. Your next update of traffic and weather is right now on news radio waight forty whas. Thank you, John. One of the stories you heard there in the newscast from mister John Shannon was the MSD worker who was performed performing preventative maintenance at a sewer pumping station when he fell twenty I think twenty to twenty five feet into a well and became trapped and obviously a really really scary situation, and this was this was I mean, when I see these kind of things, when you have someone who took action quickly, I hope they realize that they they've probably saved someone's life or at least prevented something that would have been really, really disastrous. I mean, I'm sure that was a scary, traumatic experience for the for the MSD worker but the sanitation truck driver who was there and noticed it, his quick none to one one call, and then of course the swift response from from the first responders. I mean, if someone did something like that for me to where I would have a moment of wow, did that really happened that I did? You know, how fortunate am I that it wasn't worse? And then I'm still here and somebody took action quickly that you know, might have saved my life. I don't know if I would ever, I would probably become very annoying to them and a pest because I would just want them to know at all times, Hey, I don't know what I can do for you, but I think you are the reason I'm still alive and I'm forever in debt to you. I mean, I mean it's probably I wouldn't say an uncomfortable thing, but you saved somebody's life, you know, potentially, and that's that's something that if it was me in that situation, I would I would be forever grateful. I'm sure. I'm sure this MSD worker is, but that's one of those things. How could act, how could you accurately even put that truly put into perspective, how grateful you are, you can it's impossible.
Speaker 2: I would imagine, have you ever been pointing to a spot where you really kind of did something really good and it could have worked out better for you? For example, I was in the bank just about a month ago, and then teller literally gave me an extra one hundred and fifty dollars. I seriously could have walked out with that one hundred and fifty hours and never thought twice. And I immediately brought it back and she just almost feigned.
Speaker 1: So you did it immediately. It wasn't even don't even think about it. Yeah, okay, well good for you.
Speaker 2: Don't even think about it.
Speaker 1: I mean you realize most people wouldn't. Well, see, that's the thing at least well I shouldn't say that it's cynical, but I mean.
Speaker 2: But like if you say, if you're out there and let's say you're you Nick are driving down sixty five, or you're driving somewhere and there's a car on fire, and you somehow, and we see these stories all the time, you pull that person out of that fire. I mean, you go home and there's this not only are you happy for that person, but I'm all about having that self confidence that anytime you can bolster yourself inside without being cocky and arrogant, that's a huge thing. Yeah, And like when this work you were just talking about.
Speaker 1: I've never been in a situation where I've had to pull somebody from a burning vehicle, right, And I hope I never do. I would also hope that there would just be it would be instincts to where you just don't really do what there's not a whole lot of thinking, you're just reacting, but you don't know until you're in a spot like that.
Speaker 2: And that's what happened to me last month. You know, I didn't think about I'm sitting there for a spit second. I looked I I got one hundred and fifty bucks, and I could take that and do whatever I wanted with it.
Speaker 1: I'd say the teller's response was an indicator that I might be accurate in saying most people wouldn't do that, because I'm sure they do that here and there, and it's just a simple mistake that can happen when but they don't have probably many people that come back and just return it.
Speaker 2: So and you could tell this teller was pretty new too. Because, like I said, she almost fainted, and she was like because I don't think that would have cost her job. To your point, I'm sure this happens all the time in financial institutions, but to be what this MSD worker did is amazing, and I'm sure that person puts their head down at night.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's not just the person who who made the call and took action quickly again, its sanitation truck driver who called nine to one one, but also those that were there and were trying their best to keep the victim calm. It sounds like they were conscious and alert the whole time, which is certainly a good sign. But I'm sure they weren't just relaxing. They were in a jam, to say the least. But a rescue technician descended and secured the victim and a harness both were pulled to safety. The whole thing ended up being about twenty five minutes, probably felt like twenty five hours if you were the person that had fallen and were in that kind of a situation. And this got national news randomly, it actually something similar kind of happened not that long ago, and it didn't get the same a kind of coverage I think it was because it was the Sunday after Derby. But you guys, remember when the eighteen wheeler was hanging off of the I mean that the visual of that was absolutely insane. And to see the first responders there, you know, not only saving the life of the person who was trapped inside the truck, but you know, I mean, just like that, that's a true hero right there. And I remember kind of reacting to that on the air, thinking if that was me one I would be I would I would have hyperventilated, I would have probably passed out, and maybe this person would have too. But you could tell those they're trained professionals who know that their job is to try to keep people as calm as possible, and that's a lot easier said than done. But if I was in a situation quite like that, I mean, I don't know I would. I would constantly think of the person who was there to keep me, you know, at ease during the scariest moment of my life, I'm sure, and also, you know, play a factor and me still being alive.
Speaker 2: So what about the person who was going to commit suicide, don't yah, Yeah, the joggers stepped in there, so yeah, you're spot on too.
Speaker 1: And what's great is when those kind of things happen and you'd never know about it unless somebody else saw it, right like they did it just to be good, right, not because of clout and a social media post. And that's a beautiful thing. But we still have that going on, all right, Another update of trafficking weather is coming your way here on news radio eight forty whas. It's five forty five here a Kentucky and it's morning news on news radio eight forty whas and Rory O'Neal of NBC News now joins us, and I want to pick up on something we talked about a little bit yesterday, and that is this feud that is playing out between President Donald Trump and Elon Musk. We've got personal attacks, threats, allegations all playing out on social media for everybody to sit back and watch. And Rory, you do a great job covering things, and it's always a pleasure to chat with you. But if you and your professor, you've done this a long time, you're a veteran in the industry, is this one of those things where you sit back and think, is this really happening? Two very powerful people fighting on the internet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and amazing, like the richest man in the world. We've got the leader of the free world versus the richest man in the world. You've got an American president feuding with a top defense contractor in real time on social media for all of us to see. I mean, it was one of those get the popcorn kind of moments yesterday as we were watching it unfold in real time either on two social on X or from the White House.
Speaker 1: So it sounds as if this bill I mean, and this is what we discussed yesterday, that Elon Musk very unhappy with it, so much so that he couldn't he couldn't keep it to himself, not that he was doing that anyway, but being very outspoken just about how how much he is against it. One of the biggest factors as far as him being so against this, I think some mentioning the situation with the the electric vehicles is that is that believed to be I guess what really he has an issue with here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, essentially there are four different areas You're going to get me now on this because I'm I can't Let's see if I can do the flour off my head there with the tax credits for evs were one of them. Elon's pick to be the head of NASA, his buddy who has spent a lot of money on SpaceX flights, Jared Isaacman that got pulled, and a few other agenda items that aren't going to benefit Elon Musk, So perhaps they all contributed. But also this idea that the Big Beautiful Bill adds two point six trillion dollars in new debt. At least that's the front issue that Elon Musk is putting out there, that the bill doesn't do enough to curb spending, and you know, it doesn't really follow through on what Doze was trying to accomplish.
Speaker 1: Elon Musk alleging that Trump's name appears in the Jeffrey Epstein files, I mean, I fact had told you that a couple of days ago, that we'd have that accusation on the internet. Again, it almost doesn't seem real, But here we are. What's been sort of the overall reaction. I think there's still a lot of people just kind of stunned one to see that out there, and also I guess maybe to learn of that accusation via a social media app.
Speaker 3: Well, right, And look, it's likely Donald Trump's name is in those files. Apparently he flew on a plane once so that was owned by that he was borrowing or something. So technically speaking, Donald Trump's name is going to be in those files. But again we don't. We clearly have not seen everything that's in there, frustrating many people, especially people who use X. So you know, that was a bit of a surprise essentially that he went for a pretty low blow pretty early on in this dusktop. You know, then President Trump threatened to pull subsidies, and Musk said he was going to stop using a Dragon spacecraft on X, which is the way that we supply and swap up cruise to the International Space Station. So that would have essentially ended the space station program if Musk had done that. He reversed that later on. So all this back and forth happening and again and it's costing. It looks like, you know, evaluations are going up and down by the billions. I think Elon Musk lost about thirty four billion dollars in his personal worth yesterday because the TESTLA stock took such a hit.
Speaker 1: Do you think we'll see this continue to play out or is it is? It kind of a standstill, and I guess it's certainly unpredictable. Nothing should surprise us at this point, I suppose.
Speaker 3: Well, let me ask you flip that around. Do you think the press is not going to ask Donald Trump about this the next time they see him.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're certainly going to certainly going to So is it over?
Speaker 3: No, it's not over. I think this is going to keep on percolating for a while. Maybe getting a big, beautiful bill through might help to put it behind them. But you know, again, when you're dealing with the most powerful man in the world and the richest man in the world, boy oh boyd, there's always going to be something. And look, everyone predicted this was going to blow up. We all sort of knew, like, oh, this is not going to go well. There are two big egos going on here. I didn't think it would go down quite like this though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe some were thinking, hey, I'm surprised it lasted this long. I mean, if if this would have happened sooner, I don't know if we could say we would have been totally surprised. But Rory, thank you as always for your time and enjoy your weekend. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Thanks Nick.
Speaker 1: That is Roy O'Neal of NBC News. Always good to chat with him. And I don't mean to regurgitate here, but if you really just break down yesterday overall the insults, the accusations all over, I mean it's professional wrestling. I mean that's what it's like, a professional wrestling bit and yet it's not though it's real. And it's again the President of the United States as well as one of the wealthiest men on the planet. So here we are are we got another update of trafficking weather coming your way. Also another update on sports with Scott Fitzgerald right here on his radio eight forty whas