Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r h. Garden Line with skin Rictor.
Speaker 2: It's s.
Speaker 3: Trim.
Speaker 4: Just watch him as so many goings to sleep by.
Speaker 5: A sign.
Speaker 3: Sun beaming down.
Speaker 5: Alright, the rooster has crewed. It is time to be up and about, well at least for garden line. We'll take a minute to fuel up on coffee, get a little inspiration here on our garden before we head out for the day, to get some good things done. You know that you in a bad day in the garden is better I don't than a good day doing a lot of other things, in my opinion, getting out there and enjoying it. I was playing in the dirt yesterday mulching. I had some bags of a type of malta was trying out from the folks up at Natural Ice. Kid. I can't even I can't even talk here. Nature's Way Okay, who am I talking to here? There we go Nature's Way Resources, Nature's Way Resources, you know, is is outstanding place and they've got all kinds of different products up there. But anyway, I was trying out some one of their mulches. Like I said, I always tell you this on Gardland, I'm always trying new products because I gotta tryumph. I got to know how they work. I haven't know how they look and how they perform and hold up and everything else. Are they effective or not? Anyway, I was mulching a front bed and pretty much got it all done. I had some old mulch on the bed, but as I tell you all the time, don't get rid of the old malts put the new mulch on top, because the old multch is decomposing away. Especially when you put more mulch on top of it, it just speeds the decomposition. It stays moist that old mulch, and it decomposes away and makes really good soil materials. So even though we're not putting it on to b compost, it becomes compost. We're using it on the surface to block weeds. And two, I've got an area where the sun just really breaks down on the bed and it gets hot and the soil gets really hot in the summer, and mosch helps with that as well. Anyway, felt good to get that done, and when you step back and look at it, it really looks nice. I got some more areas that are waiting on me to get some other mulch on as well, I hope you're having a good day so far, and we look forward to visiting with you here on garden Line if you'd like to give me a call seven to one three two one two ktr H seven one three two one two ktrh. Jungle Land distributed by Nitroposs is an outstanding actually it's too different. Outstanding potting soils or planting soils. Jungle and flour and vegetable is for outdoors. Jungle and water saving potting soil is for indoors. It's got the crystals in it to help when you forget the water. Sometimes those crystals whole moisture and don't dry out as fast as the growing nex or a potting soil itself wood, which is why they add those into the indoor version of jungle in you're going to find nit Foss products in many places. You got up to Brunham plants and things. They've got them up there a Baiting on a Baytown, Fisher's Hardware, Alexander, or maybe out in Clute Lake Hardware and Clute on Dixie Drive, all places where you'll find nitropost products. We're going to head out to camp Wood now and talk to Milo Hello Milo. Alrighty, let's see here. I'm gonna can you hear us?
Speaker 3: There? You are?
Speaker 5: Hey Milo?
Speaker 6: Yeah I can, Yes, I sent Yeah, I sent you an email about whether I have a pipe dream or a feasible dream to plant lavender out here on our ranch and have it success.
Speaker 5: Yes, mm hmm. Well, first of all, yes, I was gonna say, first of all, how'd you find garden line out in camp Wood?
Speaker 6: Well, I used to live in Kingwood. I used to live in Kingwood. Randy Lemon was there before you. And I've listened to you out here on iHeart Radio and yeah, wonderful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, glad, glad you're doing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah you.
Speaker 5: For those of you who don't know, he's he's north of u Valley out way west.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 5: So lavender, Yeah, lavender struggles struggles here because of our our moisture and humidity, especially very soggy, wet in the winter times and things. You've got a better, I think, a better climate for it out there. There's a reason you don't see a lot of lavender forms, even the lavender planted out Blanco that direction west to San Antonio struggles when we have kind of some wet seasons there. So drainage is critical if you're going to have success with it. I think the alkalin soil isn't too much of a problem as long as you mentioned to use iron and sulfur containing fertilizers to make sure that you know, you keep those leaves nice and healthy. I have not, of course, grown anything out of camp wood, but I would say that it's worth a try. I wouldn't take it. I wouldn't bite off too much at one time as an investment, you know, just a testing of it. Did you did you send your email that you had had better success with a French lavender?
Speaker 6: Yes, I have French. I've had French, English and Spanish and the French. The plant is growing, but it has never bloomed in four years, okay.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm yeah. Yeah, Well I don't know why. Getting up lots of sunlight, I'm sure. Oh yes, oh yes, that it has to have sunlight. Yes, why would it not? Why would it not bloom if the plant looks good, that's a mystery.
Speaker 6: I got them from an online place called High Country Gardens or something.
Speaker 5: High Country Gardens, Yeah, that's out there in New Mexico. Yes, yeah, it's a great, it's a great place. Yeah, place, they focus on things I was just gonna say, they focus on things that are you know, it's called high country for a reason. They have some elevation, so they've got some very cool nights and uh so, not everything from there is going to grow well for you, but by and large, they've got a lot of good things that will.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: Could I cut some shoots off of their and have them roots off of a plant or you know, because they're not inexpensive if I want to do a significant amount. But like you say, I'm not going to bite that all off at one time. But let's say let's say I get five plants and they seem to be doing well. Could I take cuttings and propagate that way.
Speaker 5: You should be able to Lavender will root from cuttings you want to be just go on do this. Go online and find some information on propagating lavender. There's a lot of good information out there. You can kind of weed through it. Basically, it's done like rosemary. You take little shoot cuttings that are about oh maybe I would say four or five inches long, strip the leaves off the bottom half, deplemental rooting hormone, and then put them in a moist soil condition like a propagating a loose propagating because the cuttings don't want to be soggy wet either. But yes, it's doable.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we have lots of rosemary out here, and I've been very successful at taking salvia and propagating it. That has worked tremendously for me.
Speaker 5: You know so well, sounds like you're having fun out there.
Speaker 6: In between doing a lot of work out in the weather. You kind of get beat down sometimes, but well.
Speaker 5: Let me let me tell you one more thing. I've got a few seconds and I'm going to have to go here, but if you go to something called Grow Green Plant Guide, it's in Austin, Texas. Grow Green Plant Guide. I help write that many years ago, and it's a booklet online that has lots of plants that do well in an arid climate and a semi arid climate. And I think you'll find a lot of great options for you and your your growing conditions out there in Camp Wood. I've got a hard break here.
Speaker 3: For I thank thank you. I love your show.
Speaker 5: You take care, all right, appreciate that. All right, We'll be right back, alrighty, welcome back, Welcome back, to the guard line. Good to have you with us. We hit the ground running this morning and apparently a few of you are up and within reach of a phone, so good to have you with us. Hey Plants Fall Seasons on Tumball Parkway Highway two forty nine, just north of Luetta. This is a full service retail garden center, family owned Flowerty family has run that place now since nineteen seventy three, so it's been around a good while. They are true lawn and garden experts, whether it's education, because when you walk in there, they will help you learn all kinds of things about gardening and how to choose the plants that are going to do best for you. To selection. Always a great selection there, delivery, planting, even custom potting. Plants. Fall Seasons can do it all. You can take them samples and pictures if you want assistance with a problem you might be having, or just walk in and just visit with them. They are going to point you to the plants that do what you need to do. You know, if you've got an area that's a little wet and it's a little shady and you want, you know, fill in the blank, they'll point you to the plants that can do that. That's plans for all seasons dot com two eight one three seven six one six four six. Let's go out now to a Taskasita and we're going to talk to Jim. Hey Jim, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 2: Good morning, and how are you doing this morning?
Speaker 5: I did well, Thank you?
Speaker 2: Hemming great great great. Uh yes, I know you're real busy, real early this morning. Here's the situation. I did it again. I've got the ConA plant and it's a constant Canova. It's a Canova version, which would be the shorter version correct of the KNA.
Speaker 5: You're you're talking about cannas. Uh huh go ahead, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Okay. What I did was route bound again. And what I did was I there was so tight, got them out of the pot that was so tight. What I did was a siltumun water for about twenty hours and try to put apart, put it the ground and shock. Should I cut back or just let the leaves turn brown and yellow and they're curling under and the plant looks like it's God.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think it will, you know, I don't. I don't know the degree of the damage that happened to it. But cannons are tough. They will grow in standing water, they will grow, and once they're established there, they put up a drought pretty well. Then you know they'll they'll come back. They'll look bad, but they'll come back out again fresh. So I think, uh, I think that'll be a good one. And you've got your little kind of a compact version there, so that ought to be yes to do.
Speaker 2: Well for you, okay. And then another question is you can see the little round ball on top, Now that is the seed? Correct? Can I take that seed and cut it off and plant it or what can I do with that seed?
Speaker 5: I don't know that the particular canova can in terms of whether they set viable seed or not, but if they do, yes, you can just allow that pod to dry.
Speaker 7: It.
Speaker 5: It's kind of a little bit kind of a spiky, bumpy pod up there on top, and there'll be a seed inside it. Let it, make sure it starts to dry, but don't let it get too terribly dry, and then plant it. And I think, you know, if it's viable. Some plants, as they've been bred, they don't produce viable seed, but you'll just have to find out on that one. I've never tried on a Canova canna.
Speaker 2: So your direction will be just cut it now and let it dry out. Let the little ball dry out, and then plant that in a pot.
Speaker 5: Correct well, let me let me change that a little bit. I would let it mature so that it begins to dry, not completely dead dry, but you know that. You know, those seeds are fully developed and mature in there, just like any plant, you know, a green bean. At some point the pod starts turning brown and are yellow and brown because it's mature. And take the seeds out and plant those in very rich potting soil, keep them very moist, have them in good light. Doesn't have to be full sunned, but at least good light to get them started. Good luck with that.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, sir.
Speaker 5: All right, Jim, Yes, sir, thanks call. Appreciate that. Appreciate that a lot nite. VI Superturf, I've been talking about it for a while now because we've been in superturf season for a while. Super Turf's a silver bag from nitrovivis in nineteen four to ten. It has about a sixteen week release, which means at this point in the season you put it down and return your clippings, and it'll carry all the way into the fall fertilization because those clippings also decompose and they gradually feed as we have nice warm and moist weather from moist from rain, but also you irrigating your lawn. Ninety five superturf is available in many places. You're going to find it at Lake Hardware in Ankleton on Velasco down in Alvin Stanson Shopping Center on North Taylor, and in clear Lake there's an M and D Hardware on Bay Area Boulevard that will carry nine to five superturf as well. We're going to go now to Thomas in Nevasota. Hey, Thomas, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 8: How you doing Goop?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 5: Doing good?
Speaker 8: I love the show. I got a question about my tomatoes. I've got better boys, and they're probably those to six foot tall now and they've got fruit set, but they're dropping Lee's from the from the bottom to the top, and probably two thirds of the plant is there? Is it? I know it's a fungus.
Speaker 9: I've got some.
Speaker 8: I've got some dacnhil. Do you have any other suggestions?
Speaker 5: Daccan Hill is good for leaf spots being great. An chlorothalonil is a is a pretty good leaf spot fungicide. Most I don't you know, not seeing this is where a picture would be helpful. But not seeing the leaves you say dropping tomato. Tomato leaves don't typically drop. They shrivel up. You know, they don't have enough sick.
Speaker 8: As they turn yellow.
Speaker 5: So okay, well, yeah, I would make sure you're giving it adequate nitrogen so you promote fresh new growth. So those leaves that are lost are not so much of a loss to the plant because it's got lots of new leaves coming on. But yeah, a sprays of the uh, the dacanel I, since you have it on hand, I would try that one and that at that out of help.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of different diseases and it may be that you need to switch to a different fungicide, but dacanil is pretty good for leaf spots and uh septoria leaf spots or caspro. Let's see what's uh the late blight and things like that are spots early black those are ultimato diseases and you should get some response from backing hill.
Speaker 8: Well, this didn't really start happening until we had that first ground of rain, I guess towards the latter part of April, and then I noticed it started from the bottom and started going to the top. So there's probably you know, I guess it was a rain that started on Uh. Can I ask you another question?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 8: We've got a family branch in Lee Counting Gettings, and for the past ten or fifteen years, we have been losing post o trees, primarily post o trees by live oaks. And you can go up on a Saturday and the tree looks fine. Come up the next Saturday, the leaves are turning yellow. The next Saturday is completely dead.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 8: And we've lost man probably hundreds post up big post oats, and we're even starting to lose some of the coastal live oaks and some of the smartt live oaks start to come to this, whatever this is? Do you have any idea what it is?
Speaker 5: That's very weird? Where did you say this was?
Speaker 8: This is a Lee County getting.
Speaker 5: Lee County, Okay. I don't know of Lee County as a hot spot for oak twilt. It doesn't quite sound like oak tilt either. The post oaks shouldn't be as susceptible to oak wilt, as like a live oak or a red oak would be. There are other diseases. There is a canker called hypoxylin canker that will cause the bark to fallow, some of it patches to fall off, and then you have this kind of dusty olive material that's underneath the bark. You rub your finger across it and it comes off on your fingers, or you'll see a silver or a black, almost tar like substance under there. Those that's a stress related disease. I would talk to your Lee County Agriculture agent at the Extension office there see if they can get involved and help you. And also they might involve the state Plant Clinic in looking at that. Just based on the description you gave me, those are the first things that come to mind.
Speaker 8: We've had a low rainfall. That area is a snake bit when it comes to weather, but we've had a low rainfall for probably twenty years. Gets really really dry and then we'll get a flood and I don't know if I have something. I'm sure it has stuff to do with it, but it's just really devastating to see these big trees have to have a doser come push them down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, those are both. Those are both very resilient species too, so I would get them involved in it. And once a plant gets stressed, it's not unusual for some disease to move in that otherwise would not have heard it. It's kind of like us. We get weak and we're more likely to catch something. And that that's that's what it amounts to. Hey, Thomas, thanks a lot and good luck, but but do talk to your a county agent out there. You got it, Yes, sir, thank you appreciate appreciate that very much. Uh that that call reminded me of a concept that I think is worth mentioning, and that is that diseases. He mentioned that, you know, after a rainy period, you saw a lot of diseases on the tomatoes, fungus, diseases and bacteria to some degree. But but the fungus puts spores out that lands on leaves, and those spores are like seeds. If you throw weed seeds in dry dirt, they will not come up. But the minute you get a little bit of water on that dry dirt, it turns into a chia pet of weeds. They come up everywhere fungal spores are like that. In most cases, you get a little film of water over them with which would be rain or irrigation, and the right temperature for the right number of hours, and that in each disease has its own specs like that. Then the spore sprouts, it sends it's little the equivalent of a root called a hyphee end of the leaf and infects it, and then we see leaf spots okay on the leaves or those foliage diseases. Bacteria are somewhat similar. They don't form a hyphie that infects, but when it's wet and they get splashed around in that condition, they're able to infect the leave and cause the types of spots. Bacteria costs. So that's one of the reasons we say don't squirt to foliage all the time. You can't control rain, you can't control irrigation. But the more you keep plants wet, whether it is Saint Augustine grass, you get Saint Augustine in shade right now and you keep it extra moist, and you're going to see gray leaf spot all over the place because it's taken off right now. But all kinds of diseases are promoted by that. So when you plant roses, don't crowd them. You want good air circulation, don't have a sprinkler hitting the leaves, use drip irrigation. All of those are ways to avoid disease, probably just by understanding what's going on spore lands. It sends a root into the leaf and infects, and then after a little period of time you see the leaf spot that could be avoided in those ways. Time for me to take a quick break. We'll be right back, all right, folks, welcome back, Welcome back to Guardline. Good have you with us. Year round Houston dot com. It's the name of the place and it's the name of the website, Year round Houston dot com. They are specialists when it comes to cororation compost top dressing. You know you can do do it yourself. Aeration and compost top dressing is very cumbersome. You got a hassle of renting and transporting and cleaning, returning machines and big halls of composts in the driveway, and you know you're around Houston, just have them come in and do it. They use quality screened plant based composts. Doesn't smell. In fact, it has a wonderful earthy smell, and it settles down into the lawn because it's screened. Finally, so when they do aeration top it with the compost I've composed. Some of it falls down in the aeration holes, breathes life into the lawn as well as adding that great decaying organic matter to stimulate my more microbial activity. You're round Houston dot Com eight three two eight eight four fifty three thirty five. Let's go out now to Tomball and we're going to talk to David. Hey, David, welcome to gardenline. Yoh, good morning, Skip.
Speaker 8: Hey.
Speaker 4: I bought a fifty pound bag of a barricade from D and D there in Tomball, and unfortunately it got accident. Half of that bag would have been sufficient from my line, but unfortunately it accidentally all fifty pounds got spread on my yard. It got spread evenly, but it all got the whole bag. It got a double dose. Is it gonna kill my grass or what's it? What can I expect?
Speaker 5: Well, the barricade itself doesn't kill. It's not like putting you know, round up on a on a yard that it kills the grass. A barricade does, is it it prevents root formation. That's how it kills weeds or prevents weeds is because when a weed seed tries to put a root down, barricade says no, and without a root, the seed dies in your lawn. That's going to mean runners that can't peg down their roots. You know, how is it Saint Augustine lawn that you.
Speaker 4: Have about eighty percent? It's got a little bermuda in there. I'm hoping that Saint Augustine will eventually take over.
Speaker 5: Okay, this may give the bermuda a little bit of an upper hand because Bermuda's got the rhizomes underground, and so those runners on top they don't have to if there can't. If they can't root down, good, the grass is probably still gonna be Okay. Here's the deal. It's a matter of how much God applied. The more you apply, the longer it's gonna last and do what it does. So your goal is to keep that grass as healthy as you can. As the runners they typically die down toward the older part of the runner and the new growth continues on. That new growth is not going to be able to get a root down for a while, and so you've got to make sure it has adequate moisture for that plant to survive it by putting moisture down through that runner to reach the end of the areas that can't get roots down themselves. So adequate moisture. You know, normally I talk about watering maybe once a week in the summer. If you've got a good deep root system, you're going to have to go to more often than that for sure. But just watch it and in time that barricado breakdown and the grass will resume normal growth. So that's what you're out now, all right, all right, thank you sir, all right, thank you, appreciate the call. You take care. That is how most of our pre emerging fungicides work. He was talking about barricade, but there's a lot of other ones. There's dimension, there's bayland. There's a whole lot of different surfling, a lot of different kinds of pre emergent herbicides that we put our laws to stop weed seeds, and so always important use the label rate and that way you're not going to have the degrees of the problems that you have when you overdo things. We find that a lot and I know people there's mistakes get made and things happen, but that that is always important. Follow that label as close as you can because if a tea spoons good, a tablespoons not not better, that's for sure, and gene it for us out there in Richmond Rosenberg area. They are a specialist in so many things. I mean they they're the vegetable selections, they're herbs, they're they're blooming plants, the basket. I mean, there's so many good things. But I'm telling you they have an incredible selection in native pollinator plants and locally sourced uh. These plants support not only are local bees and butterflies and hummingbirds, but they thrive in our client with a lot of excessive water and fertilizer trying to keep them alive. They have things that are nectar rich that are going to bring these good guys in the bees, the butterflies, the hummingbirds, such as native milkweed. They have several varieties in fact of native milkweed Echinasia, which is conflower, lantanas, other plants that may be a host plant like Dutchman's pipe vine. Dutchman's pipe brings in a particular type of a swallowtail like Caterpillar, Texas Elbow Bush. They have salvia's two ninety I believe in ninety. I looked at the list one time. Ninety different types of salvia. Did you even know there were ninety? Yeah, there's way more than ninety in the world, but ninety different options on salvia. So whatever kind of salvi you're looking for, they have variety after variety after variety of them. My favorite genus genus of plants is salvia. My favorite one ninety types at Intented for Us. You need to go check them out. They are on FM twenty seven fifty nine outside of Richmond, Texas, just south of Highway sixty nine Interstate sixty nine. Here's the website. This is the most important thing to write down. Enchanted Forest Richmond, TX dot com. That's what it is. That's where it is. Enchanted Forest, Richmond, TX dot com. Go check it out. It's a great website too. By the way, if you'd like to give me a call this morning, we've finally cleared out that early rush seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H. Nitrofross makes a fire ant killer. Now for those of you who are welcome, who are new to Texas. Uh, there's this thing called fire ants. And when you move here after a while, you make adjustments in the way that you go about your gardening and landscape life. For example, when you're in Texas, if you're walking along looking up and you step in something soft, it's either a cow pie or a fire ant mound, and neither one of them do you want your foot to be in.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: So the mounds we just learned to respond to that. We have to manage them. Here. A fire ant killer from Nitrofoss has a product in it that is very effective in doing a quick kill to fiance with some residual lasting you used. This is one you would use as a mound treatment getting rid of an individual mound. Nitropos fire ant Killer Nightfoss products available at places like M and D Beamer which is in the Sagemont area, Fishers Hardware on FM thirty one eighty down in Mont Bellevue and D and Defeat up there in Tombull FM twenty nine twenty just west of Tumbule that stay ahead on those fire ants. I was out the other day and looking at one of my wife has a flower raised flower bed and a vego bed, and there were some little ant like things coming crawling out of the oregano and some of them had wings, and I got to looking. First thought is like, is that termites? There's that ants? And sure enough it was ants, and they were taking flight. They fly like three hundred feet up in the air to mate, and then they drop down. The queen that now has everything she needs to start a family digs into the ground and you get a new fire mount. That's what happens. So you got to stay alert to stay ahead of those things and make sure you get control. Open Affordable Tree Service is our go to tree care company here on Garden Line. You know, now is the time to get those trees in shape. Hurricane season we're on the doorstep of it here, and even if they're at a hurricane, devastating summer storms, as we learned last year, can really do damage. So tree you need to get them in there to do any trimming that's needed. You know, they do everything they do trimming, They do pruning, deep root feeding, past and disease controls, stump grinding. If you're gonna have any construction done around your property, take care of those tree routes. Call them in First Affordable Tree Martin Spoonmore's Company seven to one three six nine nine twenty six sixty three seven one three six nine nine two six six three. You probably end up talking to Martin's mom. This is a family operation and garden Line customers are their top priority, So tell them you heard about them on garden Line. I'm gonna take a little break here. When we come back, we're gonna head up to Willis to talk to Douglas. All right, little boogie woogie on garden Line this morning. Good to have you with us. We're looking forward to visiting with you about the questions you might have regarding your landscape, your garden, any kind of thing related to horticulture and gardening. RCW Nurseries is the garden center that's right there where Tamboll Parkway, which is Highway two forty nine comes into belt wag eight. It's really easy to get to and they always have an unbelievable selection there. You know, they're known for the roses. All the rosarians know about RCW because they have one of the biggest selections of roses you'll find anywhere, and probably by long shot, it's the place to go, the place to go to get your trees from fifteen gallon up the two hundred gallon, from ornamental trees to shade trees, blooming trees, whatever you're looking for. They grow their own trees up there at the Williamson Tree Farm up there in Plantersville. And so you have a tree not only that's grown right, but that is a species or variety that wants to do well here. They're not going to sell you a blue spruce, as pretty as those are, just leave them in Colorado and enjoy them on vacation and then come home without one. Get you a tree that wants to grow here, and that is exactly what they grow and sell with RCW Nursery again, Hibay two fourty and nine, belt Way eight is just a great place to shop. You're going to find some cool hot season color. I know that sounds like I just said two different things. Cool hot season color. That's a good way to put it. Beautiful things like the Cajun hibiscus, one of my favorite lines of tropical hibiscus. You're going to find that there at RCW nurses and a whole lot more. Let's go up now to Willis Texas, and we are going to speak to Douglas. Hello Douglas, Welcome to Garden.
Speaker 11: Line and I go, good morning.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 1: I am building a house out here in Willis and I have a bunch of really beautiful mature oak trees. And as the build is finishing, we're really noticing some low spots on the property. We have about three acres and we need to take and raise up some grade and they're going to be around these oak trees. I want to make sure. I've heard that we could put too much soil on top of the roots of the oak trees and damage. I mean, that's the last thing we want to do. So I was planning using sandy loam. Is there a such thing as putting too much dirt around oak tree?
Speaker 8: Is my question?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there absolutely is. Oak roots grow primarily in the top foot of soil ninety percent even a giant tree. People think the roots go down deep like the top goes tall up. It's not. The root zone of a tree is like a pancake. It's flat and wide, and so when you put let's say you put four inches, you have dramatically changed the amount of oxygen that roots were getting. And it's a very stressful thing for trees. So there's not a black and white answer to it, but as a general guide, I wouldn't put more than about two maybe three inches at the most around a tree's root system. If you're going to do like, let's say, the whole area underneath the branch spread of the tree, I would probably go with just about two inches at a time. If you're going to just do maybe on one side or just a little area where you're filling in around the roots that are sticking up above the ground, then that's not so big of a concern. But it's a matter of percentage of the root zone that you're covering and how deep you're covering it. And sandylan's a good a good choice of soil to.
Speaker 2: Do that with.
Speaker 1: Is so is it two inches let's say per year or the two inch total for the light of the.
Speaker 3: Per year.
Speaker 5: Per year? Yeah, per year. The roots will adjust, they just can't adjust that fast. And so again, to use an extreme example, you know, you put six inches or a foot of soil over it, and those roots are going to be in major stress before the tree can grow roots back up to a closer to the surface level.
Speaker 11: Understood.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Have a good day, all right, thanks you take care alrighty, Welcome back to garden Line. By the way, I was talking earlier about some things that I was doing in my yard. This is the time to get fertilization done. And you know, if you're up, if you're up in the let's say north and east of Tomball, Spring Creek Feed is on FM twenty nine to seventy eight, and they have got a great line of these fertilizers that I keep talking about, whether it's Nelson Turf Star line, whether it's the Microlifeline or the nitrofoss line, or maybe you're needing something to control weeds, to prevent weeds or kill weeds, or a fungicide to protect the plants, or a insecticide or something to kill spider mic. They've got it all there. Friendly and curtious staff at Spring Creek Feed. I always love it when I walk in there, the folks just greet you, and it's a cool place to visit too. This is a really unique feed store. When you first walk in, you feel like you walked into a boutique. It's so beautiful. Straight ahead of you, all the things for your home and whatnot that are just just gorgeous. And then you look to the left and you got all your pet foods like Victor and Purina quality feed lines. You look to the right and there's the garden center. My favorite place, all right, Spring Creek feed in my No you on FM twenty nine seventy eight. Let's see here, We're going to go to Mark in Sweeney. Hello, Mark, welcome to garden line forhead.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I got a question, boy. I normally with my grass clip it's probably put them back up in the compost smile. But when they're dead and dry it out, can I use them to put down around my fruit trees and take these because my dad my answers, I chip up and go away my chip whatever. It's top leable around the fruit trees.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So you can use dried group. You can use dried grass clippings. I do it all the time in my garden. But I wouldn't put them more than an inch or so deep. If you put them about four inches deep, they're going to stay green. In turn, guy, in the summer heat, there's a lot of moisture in those, and uh, it's just better to put them in small amounts. You mentioned yours were already dry, so it's not as big of a concern for you. But I would yeah, I would mix the in they do. Just find that it's kind of like a fertilizer actually, uh Mark, because they they have a lot of nitrogen content and other things in them, so it would be a good thing. Just the only another caveat would be, you know, if you treated your yard with certain kinds of herbicides, you might not want to do that in like a vegetable garden or something where you're gonna plant some little seeds and things. But in general, nature has a way of breaking all that stuff down over time. And uh yeah, you're just speeding the process.
Speaker 12: Oh perfect, then yeah, I think final stuff fruit store then.
Speaker 5: All right, all right, well good luck with that. All right, thank you very much, you bet. I appreciate your call. Thanks a lot. Alrighty, that is a fact. Nelson Plant Food. I was talking about Nelson Turf star line at Sprint Creek Feed Nelson plant Food. Part of their tourch star line is Bruce's Brew and Bruces Brew is a unique fertilizer. You know, I've got my early spring green up if you want to use something that releases fast. We talk about those products, and then we've got the slow releases for summer. Bruces Brew does both. You're going to get some immediate release, an initial fast release of nutrients, but then it evens out over time for that nice regulated growth, which is what we want going through the summertime. Lots of good carbon based nitrogen sources are going to feed those microbes in your soil. And you know, when you have healthy soil, you have healthy grass. That's kind of how it works, and the vulnerability to pests and diseases really goes down when you create a good, strong, healthy grass plant. And Bruce's Brew does that. You can apply it about every six months forget that green up and continue on further into the line. So do it now, you know you probably carry on pretty far, but I might do another one as we get into about July to carry us on into the all season July or yeah, probably July be a good time to repeat if you do a Brusus brew right now, Brusus Brew from Nelson Fertilizers. I'm going to go now out to Atasca Cita and we're going to talk to Jim. Hey, Jim, Welcome, to guardline.
Speaker 2: Hey, good morning, sir, thank you for taking my call. I've got a project. Here we go, a thirty five gallon vitect tree. I was told that you're supposed to put gravel pee gravel around the size of it and also underneath. Is this correct?
Speaker 5: That is absolutely incorrect. I can go on into detail on why for some at some point, but the bottom line is it doesn't make water go away from the plant. It just doesn't. And I'll talk about that a little sometime this morning. I'll go into that a little more. Don't do that, Just put do like nature does, set those reached down in good quality soil, and that's the way to go on it. Don't put the gravel.
Speaker 2: Okay, the next thing actually described? Could you describe the soil I should put down?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 5: Is it going to be in a container or are you taking it out of a container and.
Speaker 2: Put out of the container. I'm going to try to break apart the roots to steam again because it's going to be tight in there. It's very very tight, all right, So.
Speaker 5: I'm about to run out of time here. What you want to do is planet in the soil you have. Don't put don't put compost in the hole or anything. It's got to go and the soil you're in, loosen the soil up and then water it in real good. Sorry, but I'm out of time. Thanks Jim, appreciate it. Appreciate your very much. All Right, folks, we'll be back. I'm going to describe that reason why we don't put pe gravel in when we come back. All right, I want to jump back in here. We had a we hit a comments that you know, we're made about putting gravel in the bottom of a pot or in the bottom of a planting hole. Now here's the deal. It is a very It makes sense that water runs right through gravel, so gravel should help drainage, right, But that's not what's going on here. If you put it, if you put gravel in the bottom of a pot, a container, or if you put it in the bottom of a planting hole, water does not move from the soil and the container into the gravel until it literally is so wet that it drips out of the container. Because the smaller particle size holds water better than large particle size. So therefore, gravel doesn't pull water out of soil. Soil pulls water out of gravel if the two were side by side. So what happens when you put gravel in is you just take away some of the rooting volume of that container. Or in a planting hole, think of it this way. You dig a clay planting hole, that's like an underground bathtub. It's like an aquarium. Just putting gravel in the bottom of an aquarium make the water run out, No, because the clay is preventing it from running out. Gravel doesn't do anything to help any of that. And I know it seems like, well that can't be I could go more into it, but there's a science of physics to it, and it's just what happens. So you want to use quality soil. You want to have good drainage holes in a container, and then they will saturate with water and it will literally drip out of the container. But instead of losing some of the volume, you could have put as soil because plants need a lot of soil moisture to make it through summer. In a container, you're going to have that extra volume of soil rather than gravel. And then again in a planting hole does nothing, It does nothing, nothing, nothing. Don't think about it. Think of the aquarium and that is that is why gravel doesn't help a clay planting hole to drain better. Okay, and the same is true in a pot. All right, there you go. More in Southern Gardens is doing something that I don't think I've seen before. Warren's Southern Gardens is out there in Kingwood. Warren's and Kingwood Garden Center are both out there. I've seen sales before, but they are doing a sale starting today going through the end of this month, twenty percent off purchases of one hundred dollars or more. Now, if you want to do a major landscape job, here is your chance. Are you ready for this? Purchases of three thousand dollars or more. We're talking about lots of plants, were talking about soil products from you know, tons of stuff here, Well, forty percent off. It's the largest sale ever, I know, three thousands a lot. But you know, when you're looking at it, you ring up three thousand dollars that you only pay eighteen hundred dollars at a minto all right, So this is a hugemongas sale. So if you are wanting to do some major work and you know the plants, the trees, the shrubs, the flowers, the again, the soils. All that purchase three thousand or forty percent of largest sale I've ever heard of anywhere now and if it's just one hundred dollars twenty percent, that's still a good sale megasale. In fact, at one in Southern Gardens. By the way, did you know that they do custom potting jobs out there. A lady named D is magical when it comes to creating combination plantings. And she's working on hanging baskets, she's working on planting containers. She can make your vision come true and just you if you need a custom potting job, something created beautiful, maybe for your business outside the business, or maybe for your home, your patio, go out there and tell them you want to talk to miss D about doing a custom potting job at or in Southern Gardens. Nice stuff. I was looking at Piercecape's website, which is piercescapes dot com just the other day. I was looking at some information that they had put up there about drainage systems and other things, and I'm just so impressed with the work they do. And you will be too. I mean, if you hear nothing else about Piercescapes right now, just hear piercescapes dot Com and go there. This is a professional quality landscaper. They can do everything from scratch like create the whole landscape to revamping certain areas. Do you need lighting, drainage? You know we do need drainage when it rains too much?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Do you need irrigation work? Do you need just the design of the landscape. They can do it all piercescapes dot Com if you want to give them a call two eight one three seven h five zero six zero. One of the things you hear me talk about on garden Line all the time is brown stuff before green stuff. And for those of you who are kind of new to garden line and don't know what I'm saying when I say that, I'm talking about you get the soil right and everything follows. If you want your plantings to be beautiful or productive, whether it's a vegetable garden, a flower bed, a shrubbed, get the soil right first. It's all about the soil. Do you know that may is natural national humates month. Humates is a final decomposed state of organic matter. Microlife has a product call humates plus, and that's basically what it is. Humus helps improve the soil, especially you got an old clay soil, even a sandy soil, it's going to be beneficial to them. It provides the carbon to help feed the microbes. It's got lots of different mental I think you have sixty three minerals and the humans plus that microlife has. But there's also some strains of microhizol, fungi and now these things work with the roots to help the fight the diseases of roots and some of the microhizol can reach out in the soil communicate with other plants. Amazing biology going on there in the soil. But over time, as you add humus over and over and over over time, it's just each time you're improving that soil to an area. Think of microlights, you mats plus, which is a product we talk about here when it comes to humus as concentrated compost in a bag. Concentrated compost in a bag. Now you're going to find micro life products everywhere. It's easy to find them, so you can get your humans plus. That's the purple bag. By the way, when you do your fertilizing. Just go ahead and put out the purple bag Hu mats plus and you can do it a couple times a year if you want. I know people that do it more than that. But just know this, it's what nature does, and you can do it yourself in your home garden and look at it as circumventing what would take a lot of time in nature to do. And take that product, which is the final result of composting, and just put it right down there in your yard. We are coming up on a little bit of a break here in just a second. If you want to give us a call, you can be one of the first ones up when we come back. Seven to one three two one two kt r H seven to one three two one two kt r h. H's got a really good rain a while back, but then we got this warm week really heated up pretty good for us. And boy, we know, those of us who've lived here, we know summer's coming and trees struggle in extended summer droughts, which we have almost every year. Now, if it's a brand new tree that just got put in the ground, it's got to be watered where that root zone is, So take care of your trees by watering that root zone, gradually increasing the area that you water as time goes on and as the roots expand. You know, you put a let's say you put a five gallon sized plant in a hole. Well you go out just beyond that root ball, and there's no roots there in the hole yet, but they will be and they keep expanding further and further out. That's why I like the tree hugger sprinkler. They come in a seven inch, eleven inch and a fifteen inch size. Hook it up to a garden hose. It it's like the pac Man. It's hinged and it just closes around the tree trunk. It reminds me of pac Man. Anyway you turn it on. If you had a new plant, I would just barely turn it on and water that root ball really good frequently to help it get going as that tree grows. Maybe you got a tree in your yard that's five or ten years old and we're going into summer drought. You want to rescue that tree, and not just rescue it, but get it growing faster. Because water is the single most important thing you can do to a tree to get it to grow fast. Fertilizer's important, but not as important as a good dependable moist soil for the root system. Tree hunder Sprinkler will do that. You can get them at Arborgate. You can get them at Warren Southern Garden, at Kingwoock Garden Center. You go do under Richmond. You got them into Enchanted Gardens and Forests, DA de Feed and supply the arbor Gate I mentioned, I believe Nelson Water Garden out in Katie RCW Garden Center, the Spring Creek Feed Center, League City Feeds. Southwest Fertilizer and ACE Hardware is at Single Ranch and Katie and the K and M Ace Hardware and at Tascasita and the Full Share Ace Hardware. They're easy to find. You need to have one, and you need to hang in on the garage wall because you will use it over and over again every year. It's a good product. Time for me to take a break. We'll be back. Hey, welcome back to guard Line. Good to have you with us today. Hey, have you been to in Channa Gardens recently? Oh, my gosh, that place is it's just fun to go. It is, it's fun to go. Number one, they've got plants like you just can't imagine. Number two. They have service and friendly folks that know what they're talking about. That is so important. That's why we love our independent garden centers is because they know what they're doing. And it certainly is true when it comes to in Chenna Garden. They're not in Richmond Rosenberg on FM three point fifty nine on the Katie Folshire side of Richmond. They've got some classes coming up here on June twenty eighth. There's a class on creating your own custom succulent container. Isn't that cool? On June twenty first, we're getting closure here. Plant a Butterfly Container Garden is a class out there at Enchanted Gardens, and then June fourteenth, plots for your patio or pool. That's gonna be a good boy. They specializing containers out there, and then discover the joy or the fun a fairy gardening. If you've never seen a faery garden, you need to. They're little, miniature, really cool gardens. That class is on June seventh, So lots of opportunities coming up here in June. You need to get out there check them out. Look at the beautiful selection of plants and pottery. I'm telling you it is always fun to go out to Enchanted Gardens. On FM three point fifty nine. Katie Fullscher side of Richmond website Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com was out there or recently and was looking at some of the combo containers that they had done in large baskets. You know, there're these metal it's like a wire, but it's like real thick wire, like not quite pencil size, but very very sturdy baskets and they put the coconut core liners in and then they plan them up with a combination of things. They specialize in that out there. Maria does a great job out there, and you need to go see some of those. Now you can. You can buy the ingredients and put it together yourself, or you can go buy one that's already done. Either way you want to go about it, it's good. And by the way, if you head out today, the Juicy Lemonade stand will be there. Oh boy, it'd be a good day to have some fresh watermelon lemonade. You heard that right. Watermelon lemonade makes my mouth water just to say those words. You're listening to Guardenline our phone number seven to one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two kt r H. Medina products had been went around for a very very long time. I mean they have. They've been a supporter of garden Line since before it was garden Line, a long long time ago. And they have so many excellent products that people really love.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: There's there's the Medina, the Medina plus the Medina has to Grow six twelve six plant food. That's a that's a really good one. Medina Soil Activator was the first one I was talking about. The Medina. It's kind of the standard. They've got the humic acid product, and all of these products are excellent. You know, this is National Humate's month and Medina Liquid Humus. It's called Humate Liquid Humus. It's like that concentrated compost. It's got humic and fulvic acid. It's this as a basics for taking care of your soil. It's because it's what nature puts in the soil, humic and full of acids. That's what nature creates, and you can do it yourself. You can improve the soil quality, you can improve the way that your plants grow. As a result of that by getting some quality humate, humus, excuse me, humide, humic acid. Stumbling over our words there, but check it out. And also when you're there, the Medina plus is just an outstanding products. Got Medina soil activator, It's got seaweed in it, it's got a some trace forty different trace elements in it. It's just a good tonic for your plants. Alrighty, let's go out to clear Lake and we're going to talk to Joyce this morning. Hello Joyce, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 13: Good morning, Rick. Okay, did you see those pictures?
Speaker 2: I sent you an email with the photos?
Speaker 5: Yes I did, Yes, Yeah, Apple has cankers. It has cankers that have attacked it and they could be fungal, they could be bacterial. One of the pictures looks like something called fire blight, and it's a bacteria that gets in the plant and it just kills all the issues and the whole the leaves just wilt and hang over. Another one of the pictures looks like it could be a fungal canker. But either way, here's what you need to do to get you some pruners that are sharp and get you some life salt spray, and I say life salt because it's convenient. It's not the only thing to use, but it's convenient. You're going to prune those out as far down below as you can get all the canker out of there. So go below the dead and the sunken and the dark areas that you see and prune them out, and then spray your prunters with lysol because as you make new cuts, you don't want to spread the problem by making a new wound and infecting it with your pruners. So that's that's why we disinfect our pruners between cots. Easy way to do it. Some people use bleach water, but that causes your prunters to rust really bad if you don't immediately clean and oil them. And seventy calls an option, but it's not as convenient. It's just getting some esol spraying your prain.
Speaker 1: No problem I have.
Speaker 2: But you see working right cut the big one where it's black coming in, it's it's yeah, should I sy to seal it?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 5: No spring, No, there's no spraying. No, don't do that, just cut it. Just put a fresh put a fresh uh cut to get that disease. Part out of there and stay with it. Hopefully you'll get ahead of it that way.
Speaker 13: Okay, Oh yeah, I think it's taken over the tree, all right, all right.
Speaker 5: Well, hopefully it won't keep that tree healthy, keep it vigorous. That's in your control to try to do that. Appreciate your call very much. Sweet Green from Nitrophoss is a natural fertilizer that is made through microbial activity to release eleven percent nitrogen into the soils, one of the most highest concentrations of organic nitrogen sources. You're gonna find sweet green. Is it smells gray, That's what it's sweet green. It smells smells like molasses to me. But it's a wonderful product. It works well, and you're gonna find it at lots of retailers around the area. Fisher's Hardware on Southmore in Pasadena. You go to Plants for All Seasons up northwest Tomball Parkway. Uh, and we're just north of Luetta. You're gonna find it there and RCW Nursery too by the way Tomball Parkway places you can find nitropuss products like that Sweet green. Okay, we're going to go now out to Kline area. And talk to Curtis. Hey, Curtis, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 14: So I'm trying to delerate the process of a compost. And when I mean compost, it's basically a lot of clippings and leads, anything you can suggest. And one of my baby roma tomatoes has a black dot on the bottom of it. What do I do wrong?
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, a black spot on the end of the tomato where the flower was before that tomatoes started growing informing the part away from the stem. That's usually something called blossom and rot. And it's due to a lack of calcium reaching the end of the fruit. And it's not usually due to a lack of calcium in the soil, although it could be. It's usually due to sole moisture fluctuations from dry to wet that can cause that. So try to even out the sole moisture and I don't think you'll have any more problems with that. So as far as the compost acceleration, the things that make composts go fast are a good mix of green stuff and brown stuff. So the green stuff needs nitrogen, the brown stuff needs carbon, so it's dried leaves would be brown stuff. Fresh grass clippings would be green stuff. Nitrogen fertilizer would be the equivalent of green stuff. But you want to get those in a good balance in the compost. And the finer you grind the materials up, the faster they decompose. So if you take a bunch of magnolia leaves and just lay them whole in a compost pile, it's going to be very slow. If you run over them with a lawnmower and chop them up real good, it's going to speed it up. And keeping it adequately moist, evenly moist. Those are the tips.
Speaker 14: So to go out there once a week and dump a five gallon bucket of water on it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, probably more of a sprinkling to keep the material moist. When you make a compost pile, you should lay down about a four to six inch of layer and then water it with a garden hose sprayer. Wet it real good. Then lay some more and wet it real good, because if you build the whole pile and then try to wet it, it's hard to get that water evenly through the pile. It just doesn't want to do that.
Speaker 3: Then for thanks, sure, all right, all right.
Speaker 5: There you go I have a website. It's called Composting for Kids. I did it when I was working with Texas A and m Agrolife Extension. And if you do a search for Composting for Kids, you can find a link to it. And I did it to teach kids how to compost. But it's just basically the steps that you need to do, and so you might check that out.
Speaker 3: Is that ready, Joey Jury Weekend?
Speaker 5: All right? Thanks Curtis, you too appreciate your call very much. Buchanan's Native Plants is in the Heights and it is one of those garden centers where you just want to go and hang out a while because there's so much to see. I could spend forty five minutes even an hour in the in the houseplant greenhouse that they have because there's so many things going on there, but walking around from the fruit trees, to the annuals and perennials, vegetables and herbs, the beautiful, beautiful plants that are natives. They specialize in natives bugin as native plants. Here's the website, Buchanan's Plants dot com. I want you to go to Buchanan's Plants dot com because you can sign up for their newsletter and it is incredibly helpful and informative and it's free. That's a good price, right, it's free. While you're there, you're gonna find micro life products, nitrofost products, Nelson plant food products, soils from Nature's Way, soils from airloom soils. The Cannon's has their own Life Below product and one called top trop Tropic Core, which is a peat free container mix that they designed themselves. So while you're there, check out the bungalow, the gift shop. It is awesome. Buchanan's Native Plants Eleventh Street and the Heights. Buchanan's NATed Plants Eleventh Street in the Heights. Let's now go to Katie, Texas and talk to Brian. Hello, Brian, welcome to Guardenline.
Speaker 11: Good morning. Hey, I sent you an email some pictures. You're run in my yard in a tree. Okay, the bear spot is there's a bunch of thin roots from the tree growing there and I can't get the grass to reditor and the ha is not happy about it. I want to give you something about it, but I don't know how to get the rest of the road that I tried to plant it's got a really small roots running all across the surface. The other issue is, okay, it looks like there's sucking from the tree, the roots coming up, and I don't know what to do about any of that.
Speaker 5: So all right, Brian, I'm glad we got started on this. I got to go to our half hour break, but when we come back, I will address both of those. Thanks for the pictures. They are excellent and we're gonna we got a lot we can talk about. Thank you, sir. Just hang on, we'll be right back with you just a second. All right, here we go, Welcome back to Guardline. Glad that we have you with us today. Night of Us distributes a product called jungle Land. It's a it's a potting a soil, a grower's mix, a container soil, a growing mix, however you want to put it, and it works. There's an indoor version with water saving crystals. The outdoor version is called jungle Land Flour and Vegetable planting Soil. It's got several different sources of decomposing organic matter, and it's got microhizal fungi that work with plant roots to help make them more efficient, and it drains well. It holds water adequately, but excessive water drains away very well, which is important in a potting mix. Now you're going to find jungle Land available at M and D on Beamer in the Sagemont area. You're going to find it at Fisher's Hardware and Laporte on Broadway Street, as well as at Hiding and Feet Up on Studenter Airline. Easy to find night fast products. All right, let's go back here. We started a call with Brian, and Brian we're going to jump back in here. So I'm looking at your pictures and let's take these one at a time. First of all, the lack of growth in the grass, the die back in the grass that looks to me like a disease called take all root rot. And exactly what it is for sure is not. You can't look at a picture and say for sure it's this disease, but I'm about ninety percent sure that's what's going on there. If you go online to my website Gardening with Skip dot com, you'll find the lawn pest Disease and Weed Management schedule. It's free to download. There's two lawn schedules, the second one on pest diseases and weeds has take all root run on it, and it tells you what to use and when to do it. If I were you right now, I would get some spagnum peat moss, compacted spagnum peat moss, break it up and spread it out there. You can take a rake and turn it upside down, a little soil rake, or you can use a bamboo rake or a leaf break if you want, and spread it out about third of an inch half an inch deep. Just third of an inch is probably enough. Put it all through that area and then watered in really good, and that's going to help a little bit. Then when the grass blades are going to need to be sprayed with a product from fertile loan that is a liquid iron and other micronutrients. So it'll say liquid iron and other micronutrients. You mix it with water and you spray those grass blades all through there. And the reason is take all kills roots. And when roots die, they can't take up nutrients like iron. That's why if you look around the edges of the spot that I think is take all, you'll see yellowing grass. That's a lack of iron. But it's not because there's no iron in the soil. The rest of your lawn looks fine. There's iron in the soil, it's the grass doesn't have roots. So this is sort of like doing an IV for your grass. By spraying the foliage with that micronutrient, you're getting what it needs through the foliage rather than through the root system, which isn't which is dying. And then the products for take all are listed on my schedule there. That is the takeoll routine. Now as far as the sprouts different, when you see live oaks coming up underneath the live oak, it could be seeds from acorns from the tree coming up, or could be root sprouts coming off the roots. Did you do anything in that area where you see all the sprouts. It's very unique that it's just a whole bunch of sprouts in that one area, but nowhere else.
Speaker 11: No, Well, there's some on the other side of the tree, but they're sporadic definitely where it's like just one big group of sprouts.
Speaker 2: And didn't I didn't do anything to it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, unfortunately, I think you're just gonna need to mow it, chop the tops off of them. Uh, and if you you know, keep them from getting leaves up in the sunlight. They're they're not going to thrive there. There's nothing you can spray on them, because my guess is they're probably connected to the tree roots, and so if you sprayed a killer on those, then it would go up in damage or tree. So it's just a matter of mowing them and trying to get the grass in nice and thick.
Speaker 11: Okay, okay, going by to the bear spot, well the grass road there or ways upset about it. There's not only grass there, and then went grass there. Yeah, but I don't yeah, follow that pras.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: If you if you're gonna, if you're gonna replant that area, which isn't a bad idea, I would take everything that's there out and go out even a little bit past the yellow because that that take all is going to be affecting. I can see up going towards your front door, there's some old dead areas where it is suffered in the past up there, and I would take all that grass out and then it would put new fresh new sod in and water twice a day for the first week, once a day for the second week, and then gradually wean it back and get some fresh in there. Then this fall you can do what my schedule says about take all, but do it to your whole lawn.
Speaker 11: Okay, okay, okay, all right, all right, well.
Speaker 5: Good luck with that. Yes, sir, thanks very much. I appreciate your call. It's a little bit of a complicated deal there, but it can be done. Greenpro. The folks at Greenpro, they are really truly the experts when it comes to putting compost, top dressing and core aeration together to make your lawn come alive. Whether it's struggling, you know, with drought or take our root rod here that we're talking about, whether it's compacted soil from foot traffic. Boy, that is a big problem for the lawn. Core aeration pops a little, plugs the soil out of the ground, drops them on the surface, and gets oxygen into the soil. It breathes life into the soil. Then you put the compost top dressing over it. That's feeding the soil biology down in the ground. It is decomposing to release those nutrients into the soil, and it's just a way to get your grass to kick back in gear again. Now, green Pro services an area about forty five miles from the Magnolia area. So we're talking about Spring Cypress, Woodland's, Conroe, Willis, Magnolia, Montgomery all the way down to I ten, basically the northwest quadrant of the Greater Houston area. So think of I forty five and I ten, that northwest quadrant, that's green Pro Service Area, Greenpro Texas dot Com, Greenpro Texas dot Com eight three two three five one zero zero three two. Alrighty here, well let's see here. We're gonna have the go out to Wharton and now and talk to Susan. Hello, Susan, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Skip. This is actually not Susan.
Speaker 15: This is her husband, John.
Speaker 5: Okay, Who am I talking to? John? How can we help John?
Speaker 16: Yes, okay, okay, Skip. We have we have two bogan Via vias and uh I got this big pot. Oh, it's probably about a forty gallon pot. And I planted these two boguan vials in it. Uh one of them is blue nice. The other one is doing this not blooming at all. It's growing good, but it's not blooming at all.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, boogom Vy has caused me to pull my hair out. I tell you, they Uh, I don't know why, I bottom lize. I don't know why. I don't know why that one is and the other one isn't. Something it's it. It affects, you know.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 5: I was in Yuma, Arizona, a couple of weeks ago, and it doesn't rain there. The sun is blazing hot. And I looked at boom bee's around town that were stuck in places where no one's watering them, no one's fertilizing them, and they were covered with flowers, and it just made me want to go chop them down because they were It's like they were taunting me. It's hard to get them to do that. For us, I would just say, continue to fertilize moderately, not too much nitrogen, adequate soil, moisture, full sun, as much sun as you can give it. And that's kind of what's within your power. Uh, John, the I don't know why one is and the other one isn't. They should be, they should be blooming. If one is, the other ones in the same pot. Maybe something in the root competition one has the upper hand.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 16: That's crazy, Okay, Yeah, it's just a mystery to me, you know, it's just I don't know either.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: All we can do on those plants is give them go ahead.
Speaker 16: You think I should separate them, Maybe get take that one out and put it in another pot and just leave that one of them in there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you could if you can get them apart. The roots are pretty entangled. You're probably gonna have to really wet it and soak it and kind of work them apart carefully. But boo and bees do well when they're pot bound, when they're a little you know, the roots that fill the pot and you get them in a big giant pot with a little plant, lots of soil, little plant, lots of nitrogen, and they tend to grow vegetatively, but not bloom as well as you want them to do so. But anyway, that's that's the best I can can help you with that one. There is one other technique that might work, and that is if you get a bottle of round up and you walk up to the plant and you show it the round up and saying, look, either you have blooms next week or I'm coming back with this stuff. I think by the time you walk away and go in the house, it's already going to be blooming because you just scare the.
Speaker 3: Heck out of it.
Speaker 5: That's what you need to do. Sorry, Sorry, humor is all I got to help with those booga and vilias. All right, I feel your pain and take care. We'll be back folks.
Speaker 3: There we go, There we go.
Speaker 5: It's we're calling it. It's summer. It's beach boys time, let's do it. Welcome back to the guard Line. Good to have you with us. Listen, if you are looking for products to have a beautiful garden and a beautiful lawn and a lovely outdoor setting for enjoying the barbecuing and all the things we enjoy as we move our life outdoors in the late day with things cool off a little bit. ACE Hardware, that's where you got to go. ACE Hardware Texas dot com. That's the website you got to go too. That is our that is my group of ACE Hardware stores here in the Greater Houston area. Ace Hardwaretexas dot Com. I every time I go into an ACE I'm impressed and it. In fact, I'm going to be at an ACE Hardware store later today. I've got some run around to do. I'm heading up there take care of that. But anyway, Ace Hardware Texas dot com it's where you're gonna find all the fertilizers, all the pest weed disease control, everything you need, including tools to make your lawn and your patio and beautiful outdoor setting areas just more special. Trust me, just go to an ACE Hardware Tech. Go to ACE Hardware Texas dot com. Just go to an ACE Hardware store and see what I'm talking about. This is not your grandpa's Ace Hardware store. I mean, it has all the stuff that Grandpa's Ace Hardware store had, but oh my gosh, way more. Nelson Plant Food has a product called color Star Plus. Colorstar Plus is their famous, most popular fertilizer blend for over forty years now with an added fungicide in it. Now regular Color Star or Color Star Plus with the fungicide. They both work. If something has blooms, color Star works. Okay, that's annuals and perennial shrubs and trees and other flowering plants, things and containers, things in the landscape. You got a slow release of ingredients feeding for three to four months. And this stuff is so popular that they get they send shipments out out of state to people who've discovered it and are calling, going, we need to have that here colorstar plus from Nelson Plant Food. We're going to go now to talk to Marine up at lakeside of States.
Speaker 18: Hello, Marine, to picture for you to look at my bros.
Speaker 10: It's still blooming prolific greed. However, I guess I need to use a spysmic.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to spreadch.
Speaker 5: Okay, let me get that. Uh well, Marine, I don't have a picture attached. It just says a rose leaf light, So describe to me what the leaves look like real quick.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 19: Some of them are very pale, soft yellowy color, and then a newer leaves have little speckles on them, but they're losing their color.
Speaker 10: So apparently I did attach the picture. But that's about all you're going to see anyhow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know it's tim about so bottom line is there's something wrong in the roots. The yellowing is a lack of iron, but it probably isn't a lack of iron in the soil. It's probably iron not being taken up. I would get an iron key late. It spells c h E l A t e like and chi late pronounce che late spelled. Uh, put that around them. Watch the watering. Excessive water, poor drainage, soggy roots can cause what you're describing, and so I would I would check for that, make sure that's not happening, and if it is, back off of it a little bit, and then get you a quality rose food.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: The folks that Nelson have part of their nature star line, there is a rose food for there comes in little jars and I would sprinkle that around it and watered in really good. Uh, and then see if we can bring that thing back that if it's.
Speaker 3: Not about.
Speaker 5: Not for this situation, not for this situation. Yeah, yeah, that econized, but that's more of a phosphorus.
Speaker 10: Go ahead, Okay, Now I's going to switch the topic sometimes. I know you get backed up so quickly. I will, Yeah, shoot this question and maybe we can chat a little bit, all right. I went to several OVA meetings. Hello okay, yes, oh okay, I didn't know I could still go all right. So the thing was that the gentleman was there, and I believe he is from microlife, and I listened to a lecture.
Speaker 2: But this is like five years ago.
Speaker 13: My data may be incorrect.
Speaker 10: His point was if you are feeding and you dining his particular product, that you could cut back the intensity.
Speaker 19: Of water that we were really every day when we water.
Speaker 1: It's too short.
Speaker 10: So I was trying to use his procedure, which was to let it run longer so that you don't have to run it every day.
Speaker 11: Eventually.
Speaker 2: It's not a short term thing.
Speaker 5: It's something that I understand, right, I mean, let me give you a quick answer on that. It's better to water with a good soaking on ane frequent basis than escort it a little every day. So that was right. Just set your watering schedules so you give it. You wet the so thoroughly, but then allow it to dry out some before you water again. And I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to run, but that that is, that's true what you heard. All right, Well, thank you for that. Listen, pest brothers. You hear me talk about them all the time. I don't care if you're dealing with termites, if you're dealing with fire ants in the yard, if you're dealing with mosquitoes. They have solutions that are effective and that are safe. They do it in the safest possible manner. They can do a ten year treatment on for termites in a little trench right outside the foundation of your house. I mean, it's really simple. It's down in the ground. Termite tries to go through that to get your house. They're done, and it just minimizes concerns, you know, people concerned about their pets or the kids run around outside. Pest bros Know how to do things effectively and in the safest possible manner. Call them for a quote two eight one, two oh six forty six seventy or go to the website the pest Bros b r os, thepestbros dot com, the pest bros dot com. I've got some of their buckets from mosquitos in my yard and I was looking the other day and they got all those little mosquito regulars in them. That's a good thing because those regulars will never grow up. They attract the mosquitos to come in and lay eggs there, and then the mosquito flies away and controls mosquitos with what's on its feet and other little tiny spots where there's a little water. And by the way, we had all that rain recently, mosquitos are breaking out everywhere. They are really taking off right now. Well, if you want to, if you really want a quality product for making your plants thrive, I would I would go to Airloom Soils and I would talk to them about which product you want. Now you can, I want to say, go to airlom cells. I mean go to the website Airloomsoils dot com, airloomsals dot com. You see all the list of products there. Do you want to grow roses and blooming plants, they got a product for that. Do you want to grow fruit trees, they got a product. How about vegetables and herbs, they got a product for that. Do you need to fill in your lawn. There's a product called Premium lawn Mix. It's got some mason sand and compost and bed mix mixed together. Great for preparing your soil for planting a lawn. We talk about Leatho composts for top dressing. They have that Everything they carry is high quality. And I know that because they use their products they work. Heirloomsoils dot com. They can sell it to you by the bag all over town in places sold by the bag. You can buy it bulk dumped on the driveway. You can buy what's called a supersack, which is really cool because a supersack is a cubic yard that's in a big sack and they just set it on your driveway. It's neat, it's clean, it's easy. I've used myself. I love supersacks. They really really work well. Airloom soils don't go out and plant without pairing your soil brown stuff before green stuff. And you're not going to find a better product for the brown stuff for the foundation for success than you'll find with the folks at Heirloom Soils. You're listening to Guardenline and we're about to take a little break here. It is time for that top of the hour break. When we come back, we'll be coming back to your calls, and maybe you could be first up if you're quick with the phone. Seven one three two one two k t RH seven to one three two one two k t RH A gosh. I got so many things I want to talk about today. All will start with your calls. But before we have to go to break, I just want to remind you that with summer coming on, it is time to get as much planted as you can. We got plants that can take this heat, but they do best when they have a little bit of time to get roots established before the demands and the stresses of summer come on them. So let's go. Let's get this done. Flowers, vegetables, herbs, all kinds of wonderful things out there. I'm going to be planning some okrah in my vegetable garden this week. Been delayed on it, which is a shame because I have an okra problem, meaning it's like an obsession with me. And anyway, we're going to get that taken care of out there. If you have planted questions that might need a photo to help me diagnose, and boy, I got some good photos in here. I'm just looking at a series of them that came in an email just a minute ago. Uh, send me the photos and then follow up with a call to garden line. I'm not gonna be able to type out answers to all the emails, but I'll be happy to provide you personal one on one service if you give me a call at seven one three two one two kt R to make sure your photos are a good, cris clear ocus. I want to give you a crisp answer, not a fuzzy one. Okay, welcome back. Welcome back to garden Line. We're glad you're joining us today. By the way, did you know that plants that listen to garden Line are greener and more productive. You should grab your houseplants that are struggling, set them by the radio with you, and let them join in. I think you will see by the end of the show they look greener and are clearly happier. Nine out of ten plant psychologists agree with this. By the way, asamite is a product that we put out on our lawns inputting in gardens too, By the way, that releases micronutrients to the growing plants. It builds the plant's bank account of micronutrients. That's why we do azamite. It's not like you put the fertilizer with the three one two, the nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium numbers on the bag. That's good, that pushes growth, especially the nitrogen makes it grow. But there's over twenty nutrients, not just three, that a plant needs and in order for them to have that in the bank account, so the roots need it every day of the year. Roots are taking up nutrients all the time, not just you fertilize asumite. Is a product for that. You can put it out about six thousand to twelve thousand square feet. A long, one forty four pound bag will cover that in a vegetable garden about ten pounds per thousand square feet. And it works well. You can use it when you're out fertilizing. Just come back from fertilizing, load it up with the asumite and go back and do the as at the same time. Makes it easier to remember, but it doesn't have to be done at the same time that you fertilize. All right, Well, earlier I was telling you about this sale at Warren's Southern Gardens, and it's just insane. It's like, is this is this written correctly? Did I really get this right? So I've got somebody from Warren's on the line that I want to talk to and just get a confirmation on this, and that is d Mally. Hey, d are you there earning? I am here, Good morning, Good morning. I can hear you loud. I can hear you loud and clear. Is this a typo that I'm looking at?
Speaker 3: No, it is not.
Speaker 20: It is the real deal, yues. We have a sale Okay, May seventeens through May thirty first, and we have twenty percent off any purchases.
Speaker 5: Of over one hundred dollars.
Speaker 20: And then we have a mega mega megasale, which we've never done before.
Speaker 2: This is wild and crazy.
Speaker 20: I'll tell you, any purchases over three thousand dollars you get a whopping forty percent discount. So if you spend three thousand, eighteen hundred dollars, yes, yes, it's really cool and it's.
Speaker 3: A good time to.
Speaker 20: Really revamp your your garden and have all those dreams come true and put the add ons in there with the statuary and the arbors and the trellises. And needless to say, I'm a flat person and I do all the cut some flower pots at Warren Southern Gardens, and I help out also somewhat at Kingwood Garden Center and a pottery. I mean forty percent off if you buy gorgeous, gorgeous pots or just the twenty anything over one hundred dollars.
Speaker 5: So and it's anything that we have sture fertilized that is amazing.
Speaker 20: You know. He's which I'm a fan of. I use it twice a year, so I understand that.
Speaker 15: So do you have any questions?
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 5: Well it's it's a it's a big deal. I mean it's a chunk of change, you know, to drop that kind of money out there. But over time people are going to spend the money. And this is like, okay, here's your chance to get forty percent off of everything. You mentioned Trellis's. You mentioned the pottery, Oh my beautiful pottery is not cheap and you could really set yourself up. And then of course all the bags of soil from Airlomb soil and the fertilizers and things. I'm telling you that people need to think about this because there's gonna be some folks out there that are they're looking at their yard and they're going, I'm getting tired of looking at this. I'd love to redo it, but I can't afford to redo it. Well, you just got an opportunity to afford to redo it right here. Forty percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 20: In one of the things that we have done, we'd expanded our services with Warren's location on North Park. We now have a wholesale division also, so the landscapers have the opportunity to help their clients with that department. So lots of stuff going on, and I would highly suggest for people just to come visit our location. It is I've been in this industry for twenty thirty forty years, who knows how long. The nursery itself is spectacularly gorgeous. It is worth the walk through, walking through a park.
Speaker 7: I know you were there.
Speaker 5: I was so skip Yeah, yeah, yeah, gorgeous, gorgeous. Yes, the sale unbelievable. Well, right, so people basically have a cop Yeah, so starting today, going through the end of May is starting today, going through the end of May is the period. So think about it, folks. But I'm telling you when you consider, we're not just saying you have to buy three thousand dollars of the plants. We're talking about all kinds of things and d you make beautiful mixed containers there. I love your work. I think I could probably spend three thousand dollars on just the containers you can. Thank you so beautiful, So people people can come out and have that.
Speaker 20: We can think about his Father's days coming up. So, you know, plants and all the fun stuff for yards are awesome for you know, Mother's Day was.
Speaker 5: A big hit, wonderful, you know, and but just wow, I love what I do.
Speaker 20: It is awesome it's good for the mind and the soul and the beauty that it gives to us much less the rest.
Speaker 9: Of the world.
Speaker 5: So to sale, Yes, that is true. So just to wrap it up, twenty percent off, twenty percent off on purchase of one hundred dollars or more forty percent off three thousand or more. Folks, think about this, do the math in your head. Go to war on Southern gardens, look around, and suddenly you're going to go, oh, yeah, I could find three thousand dollars here in a heartbeat of all kinds of work and stuff. D Thanks for being on. I really appreciate you doing that, and take care out there. Look forward to seeing you sometime.
Speaker 20: Thank you for the information or the opportunity. I'm sorry, I have a great day.
Speaker 5: Okay, you bet, you bet? Bye bye. All right, folks, there you have it. Unbelievable, unbelievable. One thing that's moving on with some horticultural topics. I'm noticing a lot of gray leaf spot in people's yards. I've gotten a number of pictures of it. I've seen some spots and yards that I've been to. Gray leaf spot is a fungal disease that likes the early summertime, especially it's it's milder heat that we're having right now. It loves moisture if it rains a lot, if you irrigate frequently. One of the reasons we say water deeply and infrequently is to avoid promoting diseases like like gray leaf spot. Now nine to fist has a product called Eagle Turf Fungicide, and it contains a systemic fungicide that moves through the plant and it does a great job of a number of different diseases of the turf. And right now, take a root rot and the gray leaf spot or two big ones that we're dealing with right now. To find night fross products like the Eagle turf fund a side at a number of places you know, go to RCW Nursery for example Tomball Parkway, you head up to D and D Feed and Tomball, or maybe Fisher's hard Way down in Laporte on Broadway Street, just examples of places that carry night foss products. I'm gonna take a little break here and when I come back, Tracy and Richmond and Joeanne in Lake Conro you'll be our first two up. Well, there's a blast from the past. Welcome back to Guardline. Good to have you with us phone number seven one three two one two k t RH. Listen to the Antique rose Imporium been around since nineteen eighty three. I first visited there in nineteen eighty three. As a matter of fact, I was a grad student in horticulture at A and M. And the place has just been a must visit destination the whole time. They are roses, Oh my gosh, there roses, but there's so much more, so many different kinds of plants. By the way, right now May tenth through thirtieth, they're going to have twenty percent off select roses, twenty three different varieties, by the way, in that group of select roses, and twenty percent off all the annuals and perennials and trees and shrubs and succulents. They have two new bundles available exclusively from the antiqu Rosenporium. One of them is called the Soft Cottage Core Bundle the Vibrant Cottage Core Bundle. That's the two Soft Cottage Vibrant Cottage. It's a bundle of plants. You just need to ask them about it. Go to antiqu Rosenber and talk one of the associates find out about that. Just want to remind you that the Beneficial Insects Seminar for Kids is today today. It's a free seminar. Ages well actually ages three through ten can enjoy Nature Nectar, a hands on activity exploring the wonders of pollinators through hand garden inspired crafts and a butterfly story, unfun facts. Kids will love it, trust me. It'll culminate with the release of a Magical Ladybug oil at Magical Ladybug Release. I think they're Magical Lady books too, but anyway, you get the idea. Tickets are available on the website if you'd like to do that. This free seminar on Beneficial Insects too. It highlights incredible ways beneficial support our healthy gardens and how to invite them to your your space as well. Here's the website that's where you go for everything you need to know. Antique Roseimporium dot com. Antique Rosenmporium dot com nine seven nine eight three six fifty five forty eight. They are roses, but so so much more. Let's set up now to Richmond and we are going to talk to Tracy this morning. Hello, Tracy and welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 21: Good morning. The reason why I'm calling is to follow up on an email that I had sent in regard to watering of lawns.
Speaker 2: I know that they that you.
Speaker 21: Guys have always stated a longer period of time more infrequently, But what I'm looking at is what time of the day or nine that it's best to actually do that. So if you could give us some insight, oh boy, some of the brown patch and all that.
Speaker 5: Yes, So what we're doing is we're watering early, early in the morning for two reasons. Number One, the appotranspiration is least at that time of day, so you don't lose so much to evaporation as you're going through the water cycle. Number Two, the sun is about to come out and warm things up and dry those leaves off very quickly. If you were to water at ten at night, that lawn may sit wet for a much longer period of time. And I was talking earlier about gray leaf spot being a disease for right now that would really aggravate things like gray leaf spot that love that wet leaf tissue, the wet grass blades. So early in the morning is the best time you can do that. With your good soakings when you do water.
Speaker 21: Okay, great, wonderful because in the past we had done it, you know, at night, and then noticed a larger issue when it came to those types of problems that we were experiencing. So we're trying to get all that under control, and so our kind of thought was, you know, do it three point thirty in the morning and then let it start to do that.
Speaker 5: So yeah, well, I mean, you know you could, you could, and you know, it's not the end of the world if you water at the wrong time of day or something. It's just if you're choosing the best time, that would be the best time. Okay, okay, perfect, Thanks Tracy. I appreciate the call very much. If you've got metal furniture or metal art outside, maybe hanging on the side of the house, you know, anything that's metal like cast iron, wrought iron, aluminum, patio furniture, Houston Powder Coders can make it look like new, if not better than new. I mean they are amazing, one hundred plus in stock colors. So what color do you don't just tell them I want it green. You know, there's probably twenty shades of green. They can make it. You know, don't just tell them blue. You see what I'm saying. They have all the colors you want, and they do the whole job. They know if you've got old, rusty issues, they help fix that. They do any little tack wells that might be needed. Replace the sling fabric and vinyl straps and rusty hardware with good stainless steel hardware bolts. They can do it all. Take a picture of what you got and email it to this place, sales at Houstoncoders dot com. Sales at Houston cooders dot com. They'll give you a quick quote, they pick it up, and when they're done, they deliver it in the greater Houston area. Check out their social media really Houston powder Coders. Okay, that's also the website, Houston Powdercoders dot com. Two eight one six seven six thirty eight eighty eight. We're going to go out to Cinafe now and talk to Chris. Hey, Chris, welcome reguardline.
Speaker 11: Hey, how you doing?
Speaker 3: Skip as soon as some photos.
Speaker 7: On.
Speaker 22: I got some spots on cucumber plants. First of all, okay, all right, so again I've gotten a couple of cucumber well I got see Chris I got one of you. That's peppervine weed. I think I got cucumbers with spots. That's pepper vine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, So the cucumber spots are fungal leaf spots. It's a disease. And I would leaves that look like the one you sent me just go ahead and pick them off because they're basically like the typhoid mary and the cucumber patch. Meaning all those spots are producing spores to make the other leaves get sick. So take those out. A product like dac o'nill d A c o n i L will help shut down leaf spots. It does nothing cures the spots you have, but it prevents additional ones from happening. And the more you can keep the leaves dry like water the soil, don't spray the foliage, the less problems you have with this leaf spot.
Speaker 11: All righty okay, I have I have some bone eyed copper funge a side.
Speaker 3: Will that work? It might?
Speaker 5: It might. U copper is pretty good on bacteria and on some some fungus diseases too, But you could you could try that one. Now, the weed that you have, this pepper but decon hill for leaf spots is generally better. But if you got in your hand, just go ahead and try it and see see if it if it works for you. I have a publication on my website. The website is Gardening with Skip dot Com and it's a free publication called Controlling Woody Weeds in the Landscape. There is another publication called Herbicides for Skips Weed Wiper. On the Herbicides for Skips Weed Wiper, it tells you what product to you use on which weeds, and peppervine is one of the many weeds on the list, and you can see which product I would recommend you use. And then the Controlling Woody Weeds publication tells you one of the ways that you can do it.
Speaker 11: Okay, okay, I'll head it over there.
Speaker 5: I sure appreciate it, all right, Thank you very much. You take care. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: You bet alrighty wild Birds Unlimited. I tell you, every morning I go out and I listen to the first songs of birds. For some reason, in my yard, a robin is the first one to sing in the morning every morning. And I know that because I use the Merlin app, which is a free app from the folks at Cornell University and you can tell it to listen and it'll tell you what bird it here is. It is fascinating. Even if you're not a bird person, you got to get this app and check it out. It's pretty cool. But anyway, we're in nesting season for many of our songbirds, and the folks at Wildbirds Unlimited designed really the perfect blend of seeds to make sure the birds get what they need most this season. Now it's called Nesting Super Blend. You're only going to get it at wild Birds Unlimited. It's got things like sunflower chips and peanuts and dried mealworms. Boy birds love those bark butter bits, save flower tree nuts. It's got the extra protein, it's got the extra calcium that's needed during nesting season for eggshell formation and skeletal development for the young birds. You can buy it loose in bags. You can buy it in the little compacted seed cylinders that the birds have to kind of peck into to get the seeds out. Look for it at wild Birds Unlimited. There's six Wildbirds Unlimited stores in the Houston area. There's one on Cypress on Barker Cypress in Houston on Memorial Drive in Houston on bel Air out west of town and in Paarland on East Broadway, clear Lake on Eldorado Boulevard and Kingwood Drive, there is Kingwood Wildbird's Unlimited Store. There are you there pick up a wild Bird's Unlimited high perch hummingbird feeder. It's my favorite one. I just replenished it. Put some new sugar water in it and some of that nectar defender. It's a little bottle of stuff. You put a little bit in the water and it makes it last a lot longer because you know, sugar water sitting outside on a hot day, day after day is going to go bad. So the nectar defender gives you a few more days out of your hummingbird supplies in the feeders. Let's head now to Lake Conroe and we're going to talk to Joeanne. Hello, Joanne, h morning.
Speaker 13: You did get my emails? Yes, I did, so that proves I have a brown thumb that I can't keep plants going.
Speaker 5: Don't worry about that. Everybody, everybody deals with this. Tell me what was in the pictures that you sent me?
Speaker 23: There were The last picture was a single green beans in a container and the one leaf is you know, it's just all shriveled up and brown.
Speaker 13: And then there were a couple of others and they have the little black spots. And I also send a zucchini plant.
Speaker 5: Okay, those, yeah, I see them. Don't worry about the black spots. That's just a weakened plant getting problems on the leaves. We need to fix the fact that the plant is weak. And here's here's part of the problem. It's getting too dry in that container. You got a real good chunky mix in there, so it doesn't hold water for a very long time. But you need to water a little more often. And first thing you do is you put down a little bit of nitrogen. Normally we don't fertilize beans much, but these need a little bit of nitrogen, as does the the the a squash or is a squash plant. But also finally, one of the bean pictures shows spider mites. Those are those speckled white leaves that are kind of curled and cupped under. Get you a hand sprayer on the end of a garden hose and hold that plant and turn it over and blast the bottom of the leaves, just with a strong blast of water to knock all the mites off and that'll that'll keep them away for long enough for that plant to get going again. All righty, I've got a heartbreak here coming in ten seconds.
Speaker 13: Seven is good for anything.
Speaker 5: No, no, do use seven. That makes spider mites worse. Hey, I got to run, but thank you for the call. I appreciate that. Just use water. I'll be right back. Folks. Hey, welcome back, Welcome back to garden line. What do we want to talk about today? You tell me I got a bunch I want to talk about. But this shows about you your calls. What do you want to ask seven? One, three, two and two kt r H. My goal is to help you have a bountiful garden, a beautiful landscape. And this third part is very important and more fun in the process. Gardening should be fun, It should be rewarding. Yes, sometimes we fail, sometimes things don't work out like we wanted, but you don't really fail unless you give up. We're not gonna give up. We're gonna fix it. We're gonna make it work, and we're gonna make gardening fun and make gardening fun again. Oh my gosh, I can't believe I said that. All right, anyway, there you go h Nelson Water Garden and Nursery out there in Katie. You just go out to Katie on it in turn north on Katie Fort Ben Road and it's up a little bit on the road off to the right. Nelson Water Gardens and Nursery.
Speaker 3: They have.
Speaker 5: Of course, their water gardens are nationally famous. Literally, I mean that nationally famous. They have invented stuff that's now common in the water gardening industry that started there at Nelson Water Garden. But their nursery, their garden center is awesome, beautiful cone flowers, all kinds of plants that love to grow in summer.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: You get things like a hardy ice plant. That's one that we don't plan it off. Hardy house plant is a beautiful little succulent that does well in the heat. Eat and it's just beautiful. The little fisha colored blooms are gorgeous. Now they've also got yarrow. They also have something called it's it's like a buttercup, but it's it's own Thera Missourians zouriensis. It's yellow, it's blooming, it's tough. You see it growing out in Austin, Texas on a side of the road kind of thing where nobody's taking care of it and it just does well. It's a superplant, all right. Look at some of the fountains while you're out there. They're gorgeous, they're decorative, they're beautiful. But whatever you're looking for, from succulents to cacti, to shrubs and trees and vines, oh, beautiful vines all at Nelson Water Gardens and Nursery. The website. You need to know this, Nelsonwatergardens dot com. Go check them out. They do really really good work and they have excellent, excellent products as well. Nature's Vat Resources is north of Conroe off Interstate forty five. You're head and like you're going to Conroe. And before you get to did I say north of Conroe? I met north of Houston. You're heading like you're going to Conroe. Before you get to Conroe, it's going to be off to the right. It's on Sherbroock Circle. But the way I remembered is when you see the road that goes off to Magnolia to the left fourteen eighty eight. Instead of that, you turn right there and you get to Nature's Way Resources. Beautiful, beautiful products. And I get excited about so I could lay in a pile of compost and make compost angels and be very very happy. That's how I endo dirt and soil. I am, but so is John Ferguson, who created Nature's Way Resources, and his son Ian now runs the place. And I'm telling you their products are second to none. It's where things like leaf, moal, compost and rose soil were born and they still make top quality by taking their time to make things right at Nature's Way Resources. Nature'sway Resources dot Com. Go to that website. It's a newly revamped website. It's great. Nature's Way Resources dot Com. Go pick it up there, go buy it in local garden centers by the back, or call them and have them deliver it to your house. Find leaf, more composts, double ground mulches, rosesoil, garden and flowerbed mixes. You want to grow acidic plants. Ask for their blueberry mix. They also have a citrus mix. Natures Way Resources dot Com. Let's go out to Spring Branch. Now we are going to talk to Jeff. Hello Jeff, and welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 2: Hi Skip, thanks for having me.
Speaker 8: Quick question about some picks that I just emailed you. You have you looked at those pictures?
Speaker 5: Let me see you just emailed. Uh, I don't see them.
Speaker 8: Duty line is Virginia play Way versus question.
Speaker 5: No, I haven't. I haven't received anything in the last thirty minutes. So let me let's do this. I am gonna put you on hold, uh if you want to try re sending them. If I get them, I can pop back up, or you can call back on and my producer Alejandro will put you at the top of the list if you call back. Okay, all right, thanks, thank you giving all right? You bet you bet alrighty, Yeah, it's it's uh, sometimes things just don't go right on the emails, but it sure does help for me giving a diagnosis to have a good picture like that night five. Super Turf is a product that is a lot of nitrogen, but it's in a very slow release form. It's a nineteen four ten fertilizer. Sixteen weeks it takes for that nitrogen to be fully released, so you get nice even growth. You don't go crazy mowen because you're overfertilized.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: It takes care of the grass plant by getting it to grow gradually. And a good healthy green way, so you don't have lots of top growth at the expense of root growth, which means the grass is less resilient, less drought tolerant. With nitrophass superturf, you get good healthy grass and you get it for a very long time. It's in a silver bag. Silver bags. What you're looking for. You can go to Plantation Ace Hardware on three point fifty nine and Richmond Rosenberg. You can find it there. You can find it at M and D and Cyprus on Luetta Road, as well as Court Hardware on South Maine in Stafford. Let's go to Brenham now and we're going to talk to Mark this morning. Hello Mark, welcome to garden Line. Good morning.
Speaker 24: A couple of quick things if I could, Did I understand you correctly the last caller you said that seven dusts causes more issues with spider mics.
Speaker 5: It does it because it doesn't kill spider mand but it kills the things that control them. Studies have also shown, and this is weird, that it causes them to reproduce more for whatever reason, and it also causes a response in the plant where some of the things that the spider mites are sucking the juices out of the plant. On the plant produces more of that, So it's like you're feeding the spider mites more. You're making them reproduce faster, and you're killing everything that eats them. That's why that is, you know what makes sense. But that's something I would have never thought of.
Speaker 3: So well, I am no.
Speaker 5: Nine of the gardeners don't even know that. Yeah, well, I know.
Speaker 24: My younger brother smokes me every year on garden so I'm going to teach him a little something.
Speaker 5: But anyway, well, when he argues, when he argues with you, go to the University of California Extension Service and you can find more information there on the specifics of it. But he's probably going to challenge it and say you don't know what you're talking. I'm sure he will because that's all he uses.
Speaker 24: And I'm telling you, he produces broccoli the heads literally or the size.
Speaker 5: Of a five gallon bucket.
Speaker 1: It's incredible, but.
Speaker 5: I don't doubt it. Seven is a great control for caterpillars on his broccoli. But I'll tell you this, the days where we use that, there's two kinds of pesticides. There's grenades, and there's arrows. A grenade kills everything in the vicinity. An arrow flies past everything and hits one target. And those are the surgical strikes. And that's what we're doing more now in pest control in the modern era than just dumping things like seven dust out to kill everything. Those things worked, Yeah, they had secondaries issues.
Speaker 24: Well normally, all right, I try to do I try to do most things organic, and he convinced me to use the seven dust because I was getting like all my my nectarines on my tree just got destroyed and all that said, I'm having my tomato plants okay, literally five feet tall, and they're blooming like crazy, but not setting much fruit.
Speaker 5: What what are your thoughts our suggestions. If they're not setting fruit, it's it could be due to a lack of movement. Tomatoes that are in an area where the wind isn't moving. They pollinate when something shakes the blooms and wind is typically what does that or a bumblebee buzzing them. Don't overdo the nitrogen. When you get a good green, crazy green, fast growing tomato, extra nitrogen can come at the expense of fruit set. So those two things are the primary reasons that you wouldn't get fruit set. A lack of sunlight could be another reason, but those are the primaries. And Mark, I'm sorry, but I'm gonna I'm gonna have to run here. But hopefully that that helps, Yes, sir, you bet hey, mosquito season is here. It rained, therefore we will have more and more mosquitos. Mosquito dunks can fix that. Mosquita dunks a little small beiged donut floats on water. One dunk control controls mosquitos and a hundred square feet of water for thirty days or more if you want a break them up and put them in places like you know there's a hole in a tree where water gathers in there, a bird bath, a rain barrel, you know, any kind of reservoir under a plant you can throw some mosquito dunks in and save yourself from the hassle of breeding mosquitoes. Don't be a skeeter breeder. Get you some mosquito dunks. I'm going to go for a break here. When we come back, Jeff and Spring Branch, we got your photos. You'll be first up, all right, folks, welcome back. Good to have you with us. RCW nursery has got an excellent selection right now of Btex trees have a lot in the christmer shrubs and trees, they've got everything. But the Vitext just look good. And right now they are putting on their big show.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: You share those back a little bit periodically, and they just keep blooming through the heat of summer. And blue is a color. It's kind of hard to come by. Blue purple in the summertimes, not as common as it is in spring. But Vitex does it. It's an excellent plant, I mean, and it's you want something that, once it's established, is drought tolerant, that's it. If you want something that bees and butterflies and hummingbirds a door, that's it. Ytex brings all those in. It's a great plant. It's a really really good one. Now again, I keep talking about the Cajun hibiscus. You just have to go see them. It's colors that I couldn't even begin to tell you what color that is. I mean it it goes from kind of a pinkish to a reddish to a purple lamauv I mean, it's all in one bloom. Some of these things are just stunning. They got a great selection. There are other heat loving plants like cilosia just laughs at summer heat. Very beautiful, great betting plant. All this and more at RCW Nurseries. It's at Tomboll Parkway two forty nine and belt Way eight. Easy to get to Tomboll Parkway two forty nine, belt Way eight, RCW nurseries dot com. Let's go now, we're gonna head over to Jeff in Spring Branch. Hey, Jeff, I did get your photos. I got those opened up here, and that is indeed Virginia button weed that you're.
Speaker 9: Dealing with, all right, So definitely the top one is that one. It has a smaller diameter stem if you were the white flowers.
Speaker 8: Is the bottom one Virginia button weed as well?
Speaker 5: It looks like it to me, Yeah, it does. It could be something else because right there's very little on it to identify it by. But the way the plant structure looks like Virginia button weed. Virginia button weed's hard to control. It likes wet, So the wetter you keep the grass, the faster Virginia button weed grows. So number one, your grass does better with less watering than what makes virginia button weed happy, so back off a little on that and then sprays. There's a product called celsius, like the temperature celsius, that is pretty good against Virginia button weed. Most of the time, even products label for Virginia button weed need to be applied more than once. So try the celsius six weeks later. If you're seeing any growth on it, hit it again. But itius a reason I like it. Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So this is in my father in law's yard, and I've controlled Virginia button we the celsius and my zoisa this is sant Augustine. Well you see that picture, and but I've always been told this earlier I can do it the better that once it gets hot, it hardens off, and even the celsius isn't I mean, so I think you'd recommend go ahead and get celsius on it now and then another treatment.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Yeah, absolutely. And some of the weeds you put in the picture already have blims on them, which means they're going to have the little buttons on them, which means you already got new seeds coming. So you want to shut those things down before they do that. Yeah, that's for sure. Yeah, I get that on them as soon as you can. Just target spray it. Uh and that's probably your best bet. Okay, great, thank you Skip all right, yeah, Jeff, thanks glad we were able to get those photos and complete that. Good to know. ACE hardware stores are the place.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: The motto is ACE is the place, and then you can fill in the blank ware. ACE is a place for lighting and plumbing and electrical and fixtures and all the hardware stuff, of course, but ACE is a place for your yard. Ace is a place for your garden. Ace is a place you get fertilizer and pest control and weed control and disease control. ACE is a place where you get garden hoses and garden shovels and spades and every kind of tool you can imagine that you might need outside. Ace is a place where you get barbecue pits that you will not believe the top brands, brands like Big Green Egg and Tragger and Rectag and on and on down the line. ACE is a place for that. Weber is another one that carry then all the accessories that go with them. If you want to enjoy your outdoor living, you got to start at ACE because there's so much that you need. I got some of those string lights that ACE carries us that you put above it kind of creates and beyond like a little beer garden light kind of deal. Wonderful things there and so many other things that make the outdoors more lovable. ACE is a place. Go to Acehardwaretexas dot com. Don't forget Texas. Ace Hardware Texas dot com. You'll find my local Houston area ACE Hardware stores there and you can go straight to the one that you want to go to. Like I said earlier, I'm going to be at an ACE Hardware store later today. I've got some shopping to do and can't wait to get over there. Uh, you're listening to garden Line. The phone number is seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two kt r H. One of the single most important things you can do to make a lawn that's struggling come alive again is to do a core aeration and a compost top dressing. Core aeration isn't just shoving a spike in the ground that opens a hole, because that squeezes the soil apart and compacts the sides of the hole.
Speaker 3: To do it, that way.
Speaker 5: But a core erator goes down in the soil with a hollow tube and it pops a plug of soil out of the ground and drops it on the surface. So one of the best ways to get rid of thatch is core aeration. That bringing the soil up into that thatch area as it dissolves away with the rain. It helps speed the decomposition at thatch. That's important. Follow corrooration with compost stop dressing, and now you not only are improving compacted soils with the corroration, but you're getting composts down in those holes because this is a fine textured compost. B and B Turf Pros serves that area south and southwest of Houston from Sugarland and Missouri City all the way down Highway six you know our Cola, Sienna, Manville, Alvin area, and then up over to Paarland Friends would and then across I forty five even to League City and Dickinson, So that whole region is covered by B and B Turf Pros. The website is Bbturfpros dot com. No end on the website BB Turfpros dot com. This family owned business takes care of their clients that's why they're so highly rated. Prices start around five hundred dollars, depending on the yard size and the travel distance. But I'll tell you this, there is nothing that makes as dramatic a difference in your lawn. It's getting a good quality corrooration and compost top dressing through may know how much time left got about half the month left free aeration with the purchase of top dressing. So you buy the top dressing service and they'll come out and air rate for free and then put the top dressing down that you paid for through my only b B turfpros dot com. Seven one three two three four fifty five ninety eight seven one three two three four five five nine eight. I uh visiting with the folks down there at BB the other day, and I'm gonna be doing some videoing of some of the stuff that they've got going on here coming up. We just got to figure out a good date where we can get us all in the same place at the same time. But anyway, I'm looking forward to that. I'll show you some pictures of the kind of work they do and how that works, how that goes. Whenever I can get that, we'll put it on our guarden Line Facebook page, and I'll also put it on my garden Line Instagram page as well. I hope you follow us on that. If you don't, you should look for garden Line on Facebook. And then it just I like the social media in terms of being able to get quick messages out to folks in a way that goes fast. It's easy to follow, and I like social media a lot. I guess a lot of you guys do too, right, So on Instagram it's called garden Line with skip. On Facebook it's called garden Line. Okay, there you go. Well let's see here. I am up again a break. I tell you what I'm gonna do. Martha and Menville. Let's see if we can get started on this question and we'll finish up after I have to take a break here in just a second.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's it's in regards to my pear tree, which I've had for about eight years. Never did bear andy pears, and we planted other fruit trees in the backyard close to it, and this year is loaded with pairs. But the pears have black markings on them, like I don't know if they're gonna.
Speaker 3: Come to.
Speaker 7: I need to know what is causing and what.
Speaker 6: I can do to you know, have a better.
Speaker 5: And it's okay, Martha, it's on the fruit, not the leaves. Correct, correct, Okay, So take your thumb and lick your thumb, get it wet, and see if you can wipe that black off. There's a city that grows on pear fruit that doesn't do any damage. If you can't wipe it off off, then it's a disease that's entered the fruit, and that would probably take some types of sprays, but we'd have to figure out which disease. If you if you can't wipe it off, take some pictures of the black spots and send them to me by email. I'm gonna put you on hold. My producer Alejandro, will give you an email to send those two and we'll we'll take it from there, but first try to wipe them off with the wet thumb. Usually it's a city mold that we're seeing.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, I'll wait on and get that email.
Speaker 5: Al right here, I'll be right with you. All right, folks, there you go, putting another hour in the books. We'll be back for the final hour of guarden Line this morning. Hang around back, get ready to doll seven one three two one two kt r H. All right, ladies and gentlemen, gardeners, here we go with our last hour of the day on guarden Line. Just a reminder for those of you listen for the first time. Perhaps we're here every Saturday and Sunday from six am to ten am Saturday and Sunday six to ten on KTRH seven forty am. Now you can also listen to garden Line with the iHeartMedia app. It's a little red heart app with an eye in the middle. Download that on your phone. It's a great app. And if you find garden Line on there, you can just listen live right from the app, or you can listen to past shows either way, which is kind of cool. Now I keep telling people to do that. One of these days, I'm gonna get somebody to call in that actually does this. But you take your phone with you out in the garden. Look outside right now. You need to be out there gardening, and here I am on guarden Line. How are we going to put this together? Take the phone with you, turn it on and listen to garden Line in the garden as you work. You can do that, and if you got a question, You just take a picture of what you see, email it to garden line, follow it up with a phone call and live from your garden. Is garden line solving that. Look forward to doing that. When our clay soils get wet, they swell. When they get dry, they shrink. That's why you see the Houston Public Works Department constantly fixing water lines in the summertime. When those that that is a powerful movement of the soil that cracks can crack water lines. It certainly heaves sidewalks and driveways and cracks foundations of your house. If you got cracks in the brick on the outside, if you have cracks in the sheet rock on the inside, or maybe a sticking door on the inside, those are all signs that something is not is moving that's not supposed to be moving, and you may need foundation repair. If you will, call Ty Strickland at fix myslab dot com. Fix myslab dot com. Ty knows what he's doing. He's been doing this for twenty three years. Tell him your guardenline listener. Free estimates for garden line listeners. He shows up on time, he fixes it right, and he charges your fair price. What more can you ask far from any service company, go up on time for crying out loud, fix it right, and don't overcharge charge me a fair price. That's what Ty does at fixmislab dot com. You can give them a call it two eight one two fi five forty nine forty nine two eight one two five five four nine four nine. You know this is National Humates Month. What are humates? You say, well, I'm glad you ask. Or there's a wonderfully designed system in nature. And in that system, I'll just use the forests as an example. This could also be a meadow we're talking about, but organic matter, which would in the case of a forest be pieces of bark and leaves and branches that fall to the ground. It could even be living animals that die and decompose into the soil. All of that turns back into soil. Everything that was once alive becomes soil again. Okay. And we call that process when we do it in our yards composting, breaking down organic matter into compost. But compost keeps breaking down and it becomes humius. Humus is a final decomposition stage of organic matter. And it's wonderful. I mean, like I said, it's designed to work well, and it does. It improves the soil, especially clay soils, even sandy soils, adds carbon back into the soil. So that is a good thing too, because there we're looking at the carbon dioxide and the issues and global warming and all the things that happen out there. Well, the more carbon we sequester into the soil, the better off we are in general. Okay, but it's not just for that. It's for the soil, it's for the plants, it's for the roots, it's for the microbes. Humates are very important for that. That's why Microlife created a product called Humates plus Humans plus is not only does it have the humates as the basic for the beneficial microbes and general soil biology. Those are over sixty three minerals in it and includes things like eleven strains of microhizal fungi. So there there's lots of good different microbes, seventy different species of microbes. Some of them fight disease, some of them help fix nitrogen in the soil. When you put humts plus on your soil year after year, when you mix it into the soil when you're preparing the oil, all of this stuff helps stimulate the soil. Now you when you go out and fertilize your lawn with the green bag the six y two four for microlife, grab a purple bag of humts plus and after you fertilize, then put the humans plus out or vice versa, doesn't matter. Which you can do it as many times a year as you want. You're not gonna burn soil with it, and you're not gonna burn your plants with it. In other words, and as you do, you just get better and better. And when you get better soil, you get better plants. That's just how that grows. That's why nature works the way that it does, because it makes plant life thrive.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 5: Microlife for a Life's the website if you want to find out where to get it, or I can save you some time and just say everywhere. It's pretty much. I you're hard pressed to go to a garden center, mom and pop garden center, an independent garden center, a feed store, or a ace certainly a hardware stores, off ies fertilizer. All places that carry micro life products and they work. And I know that because I use them. I don't just say that I actually use them. I spend more time in my yard, trying things out, not just products either, but different systems. I'm trying a different pruning system on Vitex right now a plant that I have. I don't know if it's gonna work or not. I'm gonna try it and then i'll know. But just trying something else out with the vitexs, Planning different species and varieties of plants to see which ones do well, which ones don't. It's all part of the learning process. Hey, you remember the storms last summer that knocked out power for two weeks each in some areas of Houston. Quality Home Products of Texas can provide you a genera automatic stand by generator. These are really cool. They're automatic standby, so when the power goes out, they come on. You don't even have to get out of the chair. The lights kind of flicker a little bit dimmed, but I mean immediately that generator kicks into gear, fires up and gets you your power back. So if you're gone on vacation when the power goes out, you don't lose all that food and the freezer in the fridge. And boy, I'll tell you I've come home to that before. After a couple of weeks. Woo you talk about stink. Ugh, I don't wish that on anybody. Maybe you work from home and you need to have internet access all the time, or you definitely want maybe your cooling system, your central cooling to not go out because you have met power for two weeks. Quality Home Products of Texas can do that, and they do it in a way that is customer service service oriented. And I can give you case after case after case of why I know that is true. For example, they've won the Better Business Bureau's most Prestigious Customer Service Award eight times, eight times over fourteen thousand and five story reviews. And I can keep going, but let me just leave you at the website QUALITYTX dot com, qualitytx dot com. Go there, check it out seven one three Quality Quality Home Products of Texas. Time for me to take a quick break. When we come back, Josh in Spring and Runnie and Magnolia you will be our first two up. All right, but just maybe that lou take youre look at Arburgate Arburgate Gardens. I was out there a couple of weeks ago, and I'm telling you that place is amazing. Actually it was a week ago, I believe I lose track of time. We had a good time. Lots of people came out. It was good to visit with everybody. And that Arbrogate just looked outstanding. I mean, the place just keeps getting better and better, you know. Think I think are eight new parking lot in the back, which is where you should park by the way, good safe parking. Just turned on Trischel Road. Go around behind Arburgate. You'll see the big sign all weather easy, easy convenience parking lot. You need to check that out. I don't even know where to begin. The color was unbelievable. It was outstanding. Vegetables and herbs, outstanding, hanging baskets, pottery, outstanding, the selection have I said this outstanding fruit trees year round. Okay, we're talking about shrubs and trees and roses. Oh my gosh, I have a good selection of roses. Everything you need to have a beautiful, bountiful garden and to enjoy it more. Or is that Arburgate? You can find it there. They are on twenty nine to twenty a mile and a half west of Tomball. It's easy to find them, easy to get to. Remember, brown stuff comes before green stuff, so when you take home, those wonderful plants take home a bad of organic food Complete, which is an organic fertilizer with calcium addition to it, Organic soil Complete, which is soil with expanded shale in it, and Organic Compost Complete, which is compost with expanded shale. That sets the foundation so your plants thrive and do well. By the way, if you want those three in larger amounts, like you don't buy a hunter bag because you're putting in a whole bed. The say those three, the two Organic Soil Complete and Organic Compost Complete are available by bulk. Just ask folks at Arbrogate. They'll get you plugged in. They can deliver it to wherever you live. Arbrogate Garden Center a gardener's paradise for sure. Let's heeat out. Now to Magnolia and we're going to talk to Ronnie. Hello, Ronnie, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 15: Hey, good morning. Yeah, sent some pictures of a couple of tomatoes. Okay, the grain tomatoes are fantastic. I mean, I hadn't it look any better. But when the turning red, some of them are eaten. And that's the picture got for you.
Speaker 5: All right, I'm trying to pull that. Oh there we go. Okay, I've got that opened up. There is a caterpillar that does that. It burrows into the fruit and eats the inside and then all the rotten mess occurs from that. If you would spray your tomatoes with the product containing dt B as in boy tea is in tom the bt product will go in there and it will do a very good job of a say, go in there, it'll go on the fruit. When a caterpillar tries to chew in it'll it'll shut them down. It works pretty well. There's also a product called spinosid s p I N O s A D. Spinosid is another good one for controlling these pests. But you have to spray it on ahead of time and then you know, just probably about another two weeks, spray it on again and prevent that entry.
Speaker 15: Okay, so I just can cover the entire I have several plants.
Speaker 3: Just cover the entire plant crop that I have.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, spray the whole plants. Some types of caterpillars will feed on the leaves and the fruit, and then that way you get them there. But especially cover the fruit, but also get some coverage on the leaves and you ought to be able to shut this down. They're spoiling your show out there.
Speaker 15: Also, is that the same caterpillar that you'd say would be eating my broccoli and turnips leaves?
Speaker 5: No, it's it's actually a different one, one of the tomato caterpillars. You'll find it on corn and tobacco plants, but not on broccoli. But then there are others that just occur on the tomatoes.
Speaker 15: Well, would this work on them though, the spinosa or BT products.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes it will if it eats leaves spinosia and b T well if it if it eat okay, if it's a caterpillar, b T works on it, only caterpillars. If it's eats leaves, spinosa, it works on it. It could be you know, it could be a beetle, or it could be a caterpillar or something chewing. The spinosa will work on both of those.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, bit all right?
Speaker 15: Flapping them with name ol that has a little okay, yeah.
Speaker 5: Not a whole lot, though not a whole lot. All right, you take care. Thanks a lot for the call. Reading appreciate that for sure. Super turf from the folks at nitroposs. It's kind of the premiere fertilizer. When we're looking at our lawns for summer. It's a silver bag nineteen four ten. It just does what needs to be done. Our southern turf crosses in Augustine, Bermuda, Zoisa, our southern soils here in the Houston area, and our climate. Super Turf is designed for all of that because we need something to give our lawn a gradual feeding of nitrogen over time, not a dump of nitrogen at one time. That's not good for the grass. All kinds of problems happen when you overdo that. But even though it has nineteen percent nitrogen in super Turf, that nineteen percent, it takes sixteen weeks for to release it all out into your soil. So it's like you just put little amounts of fertilizer out at a time, which is ideal. It's a silver bag, so it's easy to find when you go into Ace Hardware City on Memorial Drive. When you go to Langham Creek Ace Hardware on FM five twenty nine on the backside of Copperfield Subdivision up towards Cyprus. Yeah, you're going to see the silver bag from across the store. If you go to RCW Nursery on Tomball Parkway. You're going to find Nito frost products there as well, like the super turf. All right, let's see, We're gonna head back out to the phones here if I can get my grab the right mouse. I got too many mice, all right, Josh in Spring Welcome to garden Line. I finally did get those photos, so I'm ready to talk. Hey, so you see, uh you see the photos of the angel trumpet. I've been fighting this for a few weeks.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: You see the discoloration of the leaves. I think it was mites or aphids or over water. And I've hit it with.
Speaker 3: I've hit it.
Speaker 5: All right, Yead in Spring Welcome to Dark You turned the radio off? Yeah all right, so so what did you What did you say you used on it?
Speaker 25: So I've hit it with Talstar Pro, and then I hit it with Alpine, and then I hit it with like the.
Speaker 5: Like the seven dust liquid. Okay, and I still I'm still getting these yellow leaves, man, So I'm just wondering, Uh you take it? Yeah, No, it's a lack of nitrogen partly, but you've also got spider miights pretty seriously on these I had a brigmancio that got them pretty good one year. And you know what I did. I just took a handgun sprayer on the end of a hose and I put my hand on top of the leaves and I blasted the bottom of the leaf, you know, I just like squirted it from upward under the plant, just blasted all the spider mites off. They'll come back, but slowly. But if you do that about once a week for about three weeks, it basically it goes away. It just does. And so all the chemicals and things, some of them have secondary effects. The seven desks you use made the spider mites worse. Actually, so I would just I would do the hand squirt with water. It's easier than mixing up stuff to spray, and it works good on the spider miights. And then provide some nitrogen. Give your plants a good boost of nitrogen and keep the soil evenly moist and though brigmancio will take off and you will enjoy those gorgeous blooms.
Speaker 8: Okay, so just rip them with water, give them some fertilizer and we're good.
Speaker 5: Yeap, blast them. You got to hit the bottom of the leaves and you gotta have That's why I put my hand over them, because if you hit that leaf with a s strong spray of water, it just it just knocks a leaf straight up vertical. You know you don't you don't blast them off, so it didn't take it just a little tedious bid take that long. It's easy to do. And spider mites, just getting them wet causes them to get all kinds of diseases and fungus and stuff on their bodies that kills them. But physically removing them with a strong blast is important too. Hope that works, man, Thanks, thanks for calingis appreciate that you take care. Southwest Fertilizer in Southwest Houston been around seventy years. This is our seventies anniversary, our birthday, however you want to look at it. Happy birthday Southwest Fertilizer. They carry everything that you'll hear come out of my mouth on guarden line. I mean everything and things that I don't even mention on guard line. If they don't have it, you don't need it. And that includes all the fertilizer lines and more that I'm talking about. It includes weed prevention, weed control. It includes products to control insects and diseases and fungi and other things that are on your plant. If you're an organic gardener, this is the largest organic selection in the Houston area. So there you go. You need a tool, a quality tool like Felco or Corona or other brands like that ninety foot long wallow tools at Southwest Fertilizer. I'm just telling you. You go in there and you're gonna find everything and some things like if you go to my website gardening with Skip dot com, you'll see skipsweed wiper and the products you use on it, and it works like a charm, and you can buy the tool that you need to make the weed wiper there at Southwest Fertilizer. Just ask bobing them about it. Southwest Fertilizer, they have friendly service, the products are high quality, and the selection is absolutely unmatched. Southwest Fertilizer dot Com. Corner of this Nut and Runwick seven one three six sixty six one seven four four. We're gonna go now out to Crosby and talk to Bob. Oh, Bob, Welcome to garden Line. Good morning, good morning, yes, good morning.
Speaker 3: Morning.
Speaker 17: I planned at Rosemary and lavender about three times from seeds and I never get any results. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on.
Speaker 5: Well, lavender is a challenge in our area. We just get so much rain over here. It prefers to be in a drier, more Mediterranean like climate that isn't isn't so rainy. To grow lavender successfully here, you need full sun, outstanding drainage, and don't keep it too wet, and that'll give you your best shot. It's success with lavender that rosemary is on the other end of the spectrum. It's easy to grow, but it also doesn't like to be so wet in the roots. So again Mediterranean.
Speaker 3: Uh it.
Speaker 5: It is one that I would say when it comes to drought tolerance, rosemary is one of our best plants that we have for our landscape. So if you need to build up the bed in a raised bed to help a little bit, I think I would do that. I put some of my rosemary in big giant pots because that works really well too.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 17: Biggest problem is I'm not getting any seed germination.
Speaker 5: And oh, you're planning them from seed, Yes, okay, planning them from seed? I see, Okay, Well that's different. I always either start them from plants or from cuttings. Both can be rooted from cuttings as well. Seed germination, keep it moist, provide it good sunlight, but not necessarily direct sun initially, uh, and just keeping it moist. I've not tried starting those from seed because it's so easy to start him from cuttings and from plants, but but that that would be what they need. Just don't keep them too soggy wet.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, all right, sir, thank you, all.
Speaker 5: Right, Bob, you bet, thank you very much. I appreciate your call. All right. Time for me to take a little break if you'd like to be first up when we come back. Seven to one three two one two k t RH Welcome back to the guardline. Good heavy with us this morning. We're going to get to your calls here in just one moment.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: Hoorgesitt and Gardens is down in Alvin, Texas, and if you haven't been there, you ought to check it out, especially those of you who live down that direction south of Houston. He's actually in between kind of Alvin and Santa Fe. It's an Alvin address on Elizabeth Road. Elizabeth Road and Alvin Texas and Horayes got an outstanding selection of trees and shrubs. Beautiful, beautiful trees and shrubs. He's got vitex. He has great myrtles, he has oaks, and pretty much everything that you can think about. He knows how to grow and he knows how to install these plants. If you're looking for fruit trees like lemonade blueberry, do you know pick lemonade blueberry? The berries get pink instead of blue like a blueberry. It's kind of cool. Whatever you want installed, he can install it for you. You just got to get out there and check him out. The vitex he has right now are just beautiful and outstanding. He also has some a good selection too of avocado trees. Still some of may have fruit on him, I believe. But give him a call or go out there. Jorge Seddon Gardens on Elizabeth Street in Alvin, just south of Highway six. Easy, easy, easy to get to and really nice, really nice selection as well. Let's head out on the phones now we're going to go to Seabrook and talk to Jeremy. Hello, Jeremy, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 3: How's it going, Skip.
Speaker 5: Doing well? Thank you.
Speaker 25: So My question is I got I bought a rose bush last year. It's still in the nursery pot and I've cut it back to who make it a box eye? It did really good growing in the early spring, but now you know, I've tried keep it in the sun, keeping it in parts on, but the leaves are withering and part of the branches are dying back, turning brown. I thought it was a bug issue, but I've looked at it and it doesn't look like bugs.
Speaker 3: But just looking for some help, so I don't want this thing to die. Okay.
Speaker 5: Well, I am not a bones eye expert, but I've never seen a rose bon's eye, and so part of the problem may be that's plants response to this.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know, with bones eye, you're you're basically limiting plants so that they can't grow, but that they stay alive. You know, you're doing root printing, and you're doing a lot of other things that basically keep it dwarf. So what I'm going to do in this to give you an accurate sure?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 5: Okay? Well, I want to give you an accurate answer, but not my best guess. Okay, So if I were you, I would call Ken at Quality Feed. Quality Feed is in north central Houston, you know, just in town, just north of the heights in there. Quality Feed Ken is a bones eye expert. They have occasionally meetings of Bonesye Society and things going on out there, and I would ask him your question, and I think he could do it. I don't have a connection reference number for someone with the Bones Eye Society, but I would rather let someone who's much more experienced with bones eye on a plant like rose, which I've never even seen bones eye to help you with that. Okay, all right, So I guess what I'm saying is I could I could sit here and ramble and guess, or I could send you to people that know. So I'd like to give you the better answer by doing that. Thank you, Thank you a lot. I appreciate that. All Right, We're going to go out to clear Leg now and talk to Mark. Hey, Mark, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 18: Good morning, sir. I don't have to ask you how you are so, because you've already said you're I've sent a couple of pictures.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Well, I guess that's great. Is better than fine, it's super?
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, it is it is? Mark?
Speaker 5: What is what is the topic of the picture remind me of that, so I grabbed the right one.
Speaker 18: I think it says what are.
Speaker 8: I don't like.
Speaker 3: It does?
Speaker 5: And that's that's one of the common names for it, mimosa weed, but it's not a mimosa. That is called chamber better, chamber better.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 5: It's also called flower because, yes, sir, because at the base of each leaf there's a little tiny flower that you wouldn't even know it's a flower because it's so conspicuous, but it makes the seeds. And the minute that thing gets up and gets a few inches on it, it's already producing seed. So it's a problem. The best well, I'll start with the more manual way of controlling, and that is to pull them up the minute they come up. Be careful, get all those out of there, because you don't want to leave the seeds behind. And then mulch with about three inches of a good dense mulch, not something big and chunky, but a little denser, and block all the sunlight out so they can't sprout. Now, you can use a pre emergent in the soil called gallery gallery like like a foat, like a painting gallery. Okay, that is put down like Mattrosmat Gallery, right, and you put that down watered in like you would. You know, I talk about barricade all the time. It controls grasses and broad leaf weeds, this particular one, I think gallery will do a little bit better job for you. You might get bark may work on it, but the galleries for broad leaf weeds only doesn't control grasses. But if you get it down, you're gonna have to get it down in April, early April, maybe late March, because this stuff starts sprouting a little late, but as you know, is already well sprouted by now, so I would say probably late March would even be a better time for the gallery application watered in.
Speaker 18: It's everywhere, It's in all kinds of pots and other places. I was wondering, you know, if some weeds are edible. I don't suppose this is one of them, because it is I A feed a whole lot of people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not to my knowledge that that is for sure, not to my knowledge, but it is. It is an ongoing problem, and we really struggle with this particular weed because it's not easy to kill. Now, if you can find a product that is like a trimech product, Okay, trimech it's a broad leaf weed killer. If you apply it, you got to be real careful because it kills broad leaf weeds and lawns, but it can damage your lawn if temperatures are like above ninety degrees, so you get out early in the morning and spray it. I do find that chamber Better is a little hard to control, and so since it's growing so close with other desirable plants, you just want to be real careful not to get that trimeach on those desirable plants.
Speaker 18: Ok, well, thanks very much. I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: All right. You take care. You're my first chamber Better call of this season. We usually get a few of them here.
Speaker 3: Eat you.
Speaker 18: You know, I'm not thanks very many things. Thanks, there you go.
Speaker 5: I wish there was a reward for it, but we're fresh out today. Take care of her. You know, normally I tell people normally I tell people want to help them with like tomatoes or something. I say, well, just bring me half your produce to the station and we'll call it. Even I don't need half your chamber Better. You just keep it to yourself. Thank you. I appreciate that, all right. There you go, Ah boy, jungle Land. Jungle Land is a product distributed by Nitropos comes in two forms. One is the flour and vegetable planting soil. The other is jungle and water savor planting soil. I'm gonna talk about that second one, water savor potting soil. It's got a little crystals in it that swell up with water, and after your mix starts to dry out, those crystals remain moist with water to help your plants get by until the plant owner gets around, if only remember to water them again. That's the nice thing about jungle Land water saving potting soil. Jungle Land is distributed by night Fross. Night Fast products are available in a lot of places. You got under Fisher's Hardware and La Port on Broadway Street, you're gonna find nitrofoss products.
Speaker 3: You go to M and D.
Speaker 5: Beamer in Sagemont and you're gonna find nitro frost type products there, Ace Hardware City on Memorial Drive and Ausposes up in the Woodlands on Kirkandal. Those are all places where you find nitrofoss products and our Ny among others. I'm looking at a break here, so I'll tell you what Martha and Kingwood and Gary and West Houston. You're gonna be first when we come right back. All right, folks, here we go. Got one little quick segment left. We're gonna get that done. Hey, what is the mantra of garden line? Well, I got a bunch of mantras, but the main one I think seems to be brown stuff before green stuff. Right, I'll tell you where to get the brown stuff. Seein the malts. See in amalts. They carry products that are top quality of every type you need, mulches of various types. They got a bunch of different options for multis. Do you need compost, Oh, my gosh, they got incredible selection of composts, really quality stuff too. Do you want to do maybe a vegetable nerve bed? Well, they carry from the folks at Heirloom Soils, Veggie and Herbmex. You know you're gonna find the fertilizers there that are part of fixing the brown stuff, part of building the soil, part of creating the foundation for success with plants. That would be micro Life products, Nelson Products, Medina Products, nitrofoss Products, Azamite product that is a one stop shop. Ciena Molts there south of Houston on FM five point twenty one. Go to the website Sienna Multch dot com Sienna Maltz dot com. Start there. They'll deliver within twenty miles of the area that they're in for a small fee. Or you can go pick it up. You can go pick it up there by the bag, by the bulk, however you want to do it. Ciena Maltch is the place where you begin. Once you created that foundation at Cienamltch, then you put the great plants in and take care of them and you're guaranteed success. I mean, it's as simple as that. All right, We're going to run out now to Kingwood and talk to Martha this morning. Hey, Martha, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 26: I have a question on my blackberries. I've had this last year and I read it article and I can't find the article anymore. But what happens is.
Speaker 13: When the.
Speaker 26: Berries turn red and then when they start turning the black part of the I call them seed. They they're white. And it's this year it is more prevalent than it's ever been on my berries. So something and I remember the article. It was lacking something in the salt, and I can't find the article.
Speaker 2: You have any suggestions, Well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you see that a lot. The white those are called druplets. You see the white druplets on there. Now, this happens quite a bit when temperatures are really high. That can happen. Whenever they use shade cloth in the test trials, it cuts down on that a little bit. So sometimes it's a sun related thing. It also sometimes when you get too much water on them, we say excessive rainfall, but it could come from irrigation too. You notice red druplets that just don't turn their full color or that wine. There's also sometimes brown and shrunken druplets on a berry, and that's a disease called anthractnose that can affect the berries. Normally, we don't do a lot of spray in for any of this stuff, but when if you had the anthractnose part, there's a product called lime liquid lime sulfur that can be put on them when they're dormant, before the berries even begin to put a new growth dormant dormant that can be put on for the anthractnose part. I think, based on what you're describing, it seems to be more of a temperature related thing, and especially sudden changes in that temperature.
Speaker 26: Well that could be the boys lot more than it ever has. And the berries don't really have a good taste, not like they used you know they did, like, yeah, they.
Speaker 5: Because they're not fully fully ripening and getting all that sugar in. There's one other thing I didn't mention. That's stink bugs. Stink bugs can put their little beak and a BlackBerry and feed on it too and cause damage to it. And you may be seeing a little bit of that. But with blackberries, we like a moderate amount of moisture. So the plants are good and strong and healthy, but we need we need lots of sunlight to get those berries fully ripened. And you kind of have to let them ripen where they go past the shiny stage to kind of a dull, shiny kind of color.
Speaker 26: When they're fully ripe, well they are out in the sun, so it's that's not a problem for sure.
Speaker 12: Well, yeah, what.
Speaker 5: Kind of blackberries? What kind of blackberries do you have?
Speaker 2: The rap a hole.
Speaker 5: Rapa ho Oh, that's a good one. That's a good one. Well anyway, yeah, yeah, well, uh so, Arkansas, which is our number one breeder of blackberries now all the good new varieties like a rapa ho. In fact, any BlackBerry that has a name that's a Native American tribe like Kaiowa and a rappah and those names. They're bread in Arkansas, and they say that whenever you get a drop in humidity and an increase in temperature, they get a lot more of those white berries on the fruit from that. So anyway, I don't know exactly on yours. Yeah, they one of their one of their varieties is called Apache, and it's more prone to to that problem. We see that more on Apache, but I'm not familiar with a rapa hoe and the white drupelet. If it's more.
Speaker 2: Prone to it or not, we all be there.
Speaker 26: Okay, Well, thank you.
Speaker 3: Out, Okay, worry about it like all.
Speaker 5: Thanks for the call.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Mar I appreciate, appreciate you call very much. Hey, Moss Nursery, if you haven't been there, you got to go. I don't care where you live, you gotta go to Moss Nursery. And why do I say that, Well, it is amazing. This is a family owed nursery. You've been around seventy years, eight acres. You wander through eight acres of wonderfulness. Oh my gosh, the houseplat Greenhouse, I love it. I almost had their first ever time because of the selection and things that they have just so good. But everywhere you walk in Moss, you're gonna see pottery, You're gonna see plants, you're gonna see water features, You're gonna it's just a fun place to go visit. And I'll tell you this, you will see a lot of stuff that you can't find anywhere else. They specialize in having a very wide variety of things. You know, like unusual varieties of pathos, for example. Everybody knows what apothus ivy is. Well, how about varieties you never seen in your life before. They've got those there. If you want color plants like dwarf zenias for betting plants, they got you covered. Do you want hanging baskets? Do you want trees and shrubs and those little discipring fountain water features, the small ones you just sit on yours like a container and a container so it's bubbling water over the top, but it just recircles around. They've got those down there at Moss Nursery. It's in Seabrook, Texas. It's on Toddville Road. The website Maas Nursery Moss Nursery dot com. Check out the beautiful passion mines. They have purple, blue, creamy, white, red, all kinds of colors. The Gulf fritillary caterpillars. They will fly ten miles to get to a passion vine because that's what their babies love to munch on. And you get more caterpillars, you get more butterflies that way. Go check them out Moss Nursery. We're going to head now over to West Houston and talk to Gary. Gary, you're the caboose today on the show, our last caller. How can we help?
Speaker 3: Well, thank you and I'll try to make it real. Did you get the pictures? I said to the producer.
Speaker 5: I bet I did, I bet I did. Hang on one second, what would they? What would they pictures of Gary?
Speaker 27: I get the grass and there's one with Saint Augustine with the American flag in the background.
Speaker 5: Oh uh no, I don't have those.
Speaker 3: I can.
Speaker 5: Okay, tell me, tell me. Let's see if I can help you without the pictures.
Speaker 3: Sure, yes, that's where it's going.
Speaker 27: One of my neighbors is real sick in their yards, gone to you know where, and they got a behea infestation.
Speaker 3: And I know how to grow Saint Augustine. I'm really good at it, but I've researched it. I can't find a way to help her with that problem with behea.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm. Okay, I mean it's a lot there's behea in the Saint Augustine, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, sir, but a lot of Okay, I know lot of.
Speaker 5: Okay, here's what you do, okay, sir. Yeah, here's what you do if you've if you're going to control beeo grass in Saint Augustine, Uh, we are gonna what is the name of that, oh, met sulfur on.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 5: The ingredient is met sulfur On M E T s U L F U R O N. The brand is either going to be called M S M turf or manor M A N O R. Now, big, big, big, big, big warning. That will damage trees and shrubs. Do not overdrench them. Don't put it on before a rain. You do not want it in the root system in the soil. You just want to barely wet the beheograss and Saint Augustine is not bothered by the M S M turf hardly at all, but the beheograss is killed by it. But be very careful with the application. That's one reason I recommend that product.
Speaker 3: Okay, go ahead, are they find no?
Speaker 5: Uh, you you were in West Houston, I would go to Southwest Fertilizer corner Abyssinett and Runwick. You may find those at an Ace hardware store. It would. You just have to check the stores near you to see if they carry them. But I know has them done at Uh?
Speaker 3: Yes, I appreciate the information.
Speaker 27: It's it's it's green, but they put up those ugly peace signed things and it's just so ugly.
Speaker 5: Oh, I know the day the day after it's it's a great turf for out there in areas where you don't want to water and take care of it. But the day after, you know, you already got seat heads, knee hike.
Speaker 27: Yes, I'm gonna the rest of her long and I really feel like I can help because I know I've been listening the guard line a long time, so I.
Speaker 3: Know how to do it.
Speaker 5: So if you find those all righty Gary, Thanks thank you for the call, sir. I gotta run. I appreciate that very much. Wow, we had a busy day today. I'm glad. I like busy. I hope you enjoyed listening, had a little bit of fun in the process. All right, tomorrow morning, sect your clock six am. Let's do this again. Let's talk gardening here on garden Line. In the meantime, gardening with skip dot com. The website lots of new stuff. I meant to talk about some of the new stuff today. Maybe I'll get to that tomorrow.