Speaker 1: Callaroga Shark Media. Hi there, I'm Johnny Mack with your daily comedy news. Tomorrow at Wrigley Field in Chicago, John mulaney will host the very first comedy show at Wrigley Field. He caught up with WB e Z. Mlaney said, I can't pretend I ever thought sitting there that I'm gonna do stand up near second base. But it's a full circle moment in a lot of ways. I mean to sit there as a kid watching Andre Dawson, Ryan Sandberg, Mark Grace and to now be standing roughly where Mark Grace would be ripping cigarettes during games. John said, last summer they asked me to do a show about Wrigley Field. Wriggley did no comedian has played Wriggley and they said, would you like to play Wrigley Field? I'm pretty sure. In the same breath they said you'd be the first to do it, and I said, Okay, definitely. Malady said, I'll tell you what I'm excited about this week. I just informed my son that all of the city burned down in eighteen seventy one because it was all made of wood. I know there's nuances to the story. It was all made of wood, except for the water tower. Everything burned down. Nothing's ever intrigued him more about Chicago. So now we're going to go to the Chicago History Museum to see photos of the city on fire, which he's very excited to see. Now, this is pretty funny. We're in the weeds here. One of the interviewers is named Michelangelo Dagostino. Michelangelo said to Malani, it's a fellow Saint Ignacius grat I was disappointed earlier when you talked about the Chicago fire and you're like, yeah, the whole city bird down except the water tower. But you forgot to tell your kid that sant Ignacius also survived the Chicago fire. Malaney said, what parts of sant Ignacius? Michelangelo said, I guess the oldest part. Melaney said, Were you two years ahead of me at sant Ignatius? Michaelangelo said, I was in your brother's class. Yeah, m'laney said Michelangelo Dagastino. Michelangelo said, yeah, that's mem'laney said, valedictorian of your class. And you don't even know which building survived. You call me uple to comment. I come in here, try and entertain the people of Chicago and you come at me like that. Then they got into some saint ignacious minutia. You could read the article Melany who talked about Chicago and said, it feels like you live in a small town in a lot of truly nice ways. I don't have many complaints about that at all. You walk by people and they go like, good lie suck at Wrigley and it's great. So I'd be saying famous in Chicago's one of the best situations a human being can ask for. It is ninety nine percent friendly, and when it's hostile, it's hilarious. They asked John Mulaney what younger stand ups or comics should we be keeping an eye on. Mulaney said, definitely super establishment comedian profile to The New York Times Robbie Hoffman, he named checked Andrea Jinn and Mendal who are opening for him. I'd also say Langston Kerman from Chicago. You've seen him on Abbot Elementary. Speaking of Chicago, the three one two Comedy Festival is returning to Chicago this fall. Nicki Glazer, Michelle Wolf, Alisi Diek, and Burke Krascher are among some of the comedians who will be in Chicago November fifth through the fifteenth, which makes me want to go. Venues include the Chicago Theater, Park West, the VIC Theater, Zanies Rosemont, All Great Venues eleven day line up. Now, I was clicking through the lineup and I saw John Pinnett on the schedule, and I was like, isn't John Pinnett dead? And I and I checked yes. John Pinnette passed away April fifth, twenty fourteen, at the age of fifty in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he'd been attending a family wedding. So that I was like, huh, oh, it's a screening. Apparently there is a John Pinnett documentary. Do you guys know John Pinnette? I feel like he's like he never comes up. Obviously he's no longer around, but you know, one of those great comedians from early this century that just doesn't get talked about, like like Richard Jenny who you know, crossover from the nineties, Robert Shimmel. These guys never their name's never come up anymore. I mean, I get it they're dead, but I don't know. They had pretty good careers anyway. If you didn't know John, he was a heavy set fellow and did a lot of jokes related to that, which is why I'm sharing it. Very very funny comedian and apparently there was a documentary made about him in twenty twenty. I will play the trailer for you. It's about two minutes long. Some of the voices you will hear are Jim Gaffigan and Kathleen Manigan. He's a show. Everybody else is in act.
Speaker 2: He had such a distinct style. He was so self deprecating.
Speaker 1: I'm John, I'm your slim, fast representative for the evening.
Speaker 2: He was like a force of nature.
Speaker 3: When he rocked a room, every person is howling.
Speaker 2: Please welcome John him.
Speaker 3: He had that cherubic face with glenns and he had gotten his accounting degree and was working at the bank. I was here the night that John first came on stage. One of those things that you just you knew it.
Speaker 1: What do you think of the new suit? I think it makes me look fast. He had a fanatical fan following.
Speaker 2: It's like the Beatles or something, and.
Speaker 1: We were selling out venues all over the place. He was making twenty thousand a weekend. John could become a major television start.
Speaker 2: He imploded. Every comedian has a self destructive streak. John is a guy who overindulged in everything. Would just like hammer pills and then eat them, and I'm like, what are those idle though?
Speaker 1: But you'll feel wonderful. He thought that if he lost weight he would affect his career because he's known as the big guy. I'm actually writing a book around the world in eighty buffets. John was always wanting to get better. It's prescription drugs, which are pretty much the number one probably in America, and John became right in the middle of it. One train it took me. There was sixty minute workout. He said, once you start, you get addicted. I don't think so.
Speaker 3: We've lost a lot of people in comedy.
Speaker 2: John isn't the first friend that.
Speaker 1: We've lost great minds but tortured souls. Well, I have a lot of friends that came out tonight to see me be fifty. Well, let's all meet at.
Speaker 2: My hundredth Shall we.
Speaker 1: Love the memories? I don't remember that documentary coming out. It came out in twenty twenty. There was a pandemic, but I was doing the show during the pandem and I would have been desperate to talk about anything during the pandemic. So I don't know. Maybe they didn't promote it. Well, I don't remember it happening anyway. John Pennett, Fantastic Comedian, Hondy Joe Rogan experience. Joe Rogan spoke to Tony Hinchcliff. The topic eventually came around to the ri odd To Comedy Festival edits here for pacing and language.
Speaker 2: Didn't know obviously, because they laughed. They thought maybe you did go, or maybe Shane did go. They didn't know that you were the two people that did say no. You know, Jessica Curson went and she got criticized so much she gave her money away. She murdered over there. I heard so a lesbian woman from New York went to Saudi Arabia. Thom Segurro went and put a photo of a Ferrari and said thanks Saudi Arabia. Yeah, but everybody was very upset. But my perspective is the people that are in that audience. If you're upset of the people that are paying and organizing, Okay, the people that are that audience though, that they're performing to. They don't get a chance to see American stand up comedy and they're getting a chance to see it live and stand up comedy like music, like literature, changes people's minds. It changes all art where you see someone a different person than you, with a totally different perspective that lives on another side of the world, that says something that you think is hilarious and you love it changes you know, it changes people's perspectives. You win hearts and minds. I mean that's real. Like you can change the world a little bit by getting people to say, hey, we kind of are We all have a lot of shared interests. We just want to have fun. We just want to be with our friends, be with our family and do what we want to do. Like everybody wants that, including those people in the audience.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Tony Hinchcliff the live comedy podcast Killed Tony, We'll go to Las Vegas to do two nights at Dobe Live at Park MGM Friday November thirteenth Saturday November fourteenth. Organizers say the show is expected to feature a lineup of special guests. Here's a weird one coming. Georgia Mayor Tony Brumbelow has challenged Brit Kraser to a round of minigolf. The mayor did this in a very strange social media video, which I have cut down a little. But let's listen to this.
Speaker 3: Bert, the city of Coma officially invites you. You can run from the Russians, but you can't run from the City of Coma. Burt. I challenge your baby. It's called you versus Me. One round of the hardest put putt course in America. The winner gets bragging rights. The loser buys lunch. How about that? Bert, You're in Atlanta all the time, We're twenty minutes away. Look at what we have to offer here. Have your people call my people? How about that?
Speaker 1: I mean, is this a thing? Because I challenge Dve Chappelle, John Maliney and Louis c k to a round of mini golf, you cowards. Speaking of mini golf, Lebron James trolls Kevin Hart, head of a golf competition said to take place between Lebron James and Kevin Hart. This September, Lebron James dropped a video. I pulled the audio for the video, but it doesn't really work. It's not very exciting. But in the video we see Lebron James shopping for children's golf clubs. He holds them up to the camera and says to Kevin Hart, these are perfect. See the golf clubs are small, and Kevin Hart's not the tallest fellow you've ever met. That's the humor there. Fox News stirring it up. They found a Facebook clip posted by Trevor Noah or his social media team on July fourth. It's a discussion from a previously released episode of Trevor Noah's What Now podcast, during which Josh Johnson calls Trump white's Obama. Apparently, Josh Johnson said he's Obama for white people who hated the idea of Obama. That to me is why I think people keep underestimating Trump. Fox News says. Josh Johnson said that people are like my great great grandparents with these Irish immigrants. They got spit on when they came here of drugs and crime. Where I'm from, my family is on food stamps, all the stuff like that. As a white person, which has never really talked about, and so this person had to overcome a lot just to be next to this other white person, right. Josh goes on to say that Trump speaks to that experience. The way that Obama spoke to black people or may or may not have been having that stereotypical experience white people who were the living embodiment of everything we've been sold Black people. Go through Fox News as they reached out to Josh Johnson for comment, but he did not immediately respond. Pete Holmes, this is like doing a lot of press. I noticed a few things on my own, and then Paul, one of the listeners, shot me a note and told me a couple other things that Pete's on. Let me find that email. Paul says, Pete Holmes was on the Burt Cast and Harland Highway. I don't know what Pete is promoting. He will be in an upcoming movie. It is an indie feature drama called Friend a Thing. Friend to Thing is set in Seattle during the spring of nineteen ninety six. Fourteen year old Ernie, a thoughtful scholarship student at an elite Catholic school, finds himself torn between lifelong friendships and the allure of a caars Ma new girl. Lewis Black plays Father Briggs, these schools exacting headmaster. Pete Holmes plays mister Greeley, a homeroom teacher who's quietly become the moral compass of a school built on faith. He doesn't share.
Speaker 2: Comedy stock markets.
Speaker 1: You know how the stock marker works, right, Well, every Friday we try and find value. We try and buy low and sell high on various comedians. I don't think we have any day Pergetzie left to sell. We've been selling a lot of it. I'll just say, don't invest in any theme park comedies right now. This UFC thing is not going away. Or maybe I just read the Daily Beast every day. Even they keep throwing out mega comedian Nate Brigetzi. Oh so ridiculous. All right, let's buy some Pete Holmes. Pete's making the rounds. I don't know what he's up to. He's a good guy every interview. I just really like him. And I don't think everybody else is walking around going Pete Homesweet Home, Sweet Homes. But there's something to Pete Holmes. Let's buy Pete Holmes. Let's buy Jeff a curate if you watch his Netflix special. I actually did, because what was it? Tuesday night? The soccer was over by seven thirty and I got to watch quote unquote TV and I put Jeff special on let me find uh in the Facebook group here. Dylan is one of the regulars in the group, and Dylan nailed it. He wrote, He's immensely likable in his popularity is easy to understand. I just don't think his comedy is anything special. He's good in his great stage presence, but it feels more like a mix of CrowdWork and anecdotes than actual comedy. That's how I felt it was. It was you know, sometimes I'll describe as special, saying it's nice company, and that's how I felt with this one. I don't think it was particularly funny, but like I was like, all right, I like this guy. I won't turn this off. So I kept that on. And we're gonna buy Vittorio Angeloni. And you're like, who's that exactly? I'll tell you why in a couple of seconds after we got a couple of stories coming up. But you might not know the name Vittorio Angeloni. There's buzz on him. I've seen him live, so that's a you know, one of those sneaky ones. Remember I told you to buy some Ryan Hamilton, buy some Vittorio Angeloni. That's your comedy stock market for this week. The rest of today's show is all British comedy. So if that's not your thing, I get it. You're dismissed. I'll see tomorrow. We'll do a deep dive on the Office UK. Sunday's a normal episode, but a British comedy interest. You hang around because the BBC has announced that David Mitchell. You know David Mitchell from Mitchell and Webb. He's Mitchell in Mitchell and Webb. He's got a show called Ludwig. It's been renewed for a third series before the second series even airs. David Mitchell stars as John Ludwig Taylor, an introverted puzzle designer who steps into the shoes of his missing twin brother, a detective Chief inspector. Series one was the BBC's biggest scripted series since twenty twenty four, and marked the largest comedy launch episode since at least twenty eighteen. In series two, Mitchell's character John takes on a new role as a crime scene consultant for the Cambridge Police Authority. His identical twin brother, James, remains missing, but the consultant has been banned from using any police resources to look for sibling or uncover exactly what he was investigating. But John will not stop, Mitchell said, and I'm delighted that Ludwig will be returning to solve more of Brotherhood's brilliant mysteries. I can't wait to get started. I never knew the subscription of my Denoment learning app. Vittorio Angeloni will start in the new comedy series Rewarding. Yeah he's got an Italian name, but he's an Irish guy and I've seen him alive. He's fantastic. Rewarding is a six sports series commissioned by BBC Northern Ireland and US streamer Wonder Project. What's that I Don't know? Rewarding follows support workers Francis and Shanade as they look after their clients to the best of their abilities, sometimes at the expense of each other. Set in care facility Beacon Fold, newcomer Shanade is a sunny personality, radiating positivity and idealism in contrast to Francis's reality and pragmatism. We had told Francs and Shanaide clash, flirt and over shaer while putting out the small flyers all around them. Diane Morgan. Some podcasters have a crushed on her. She's got a new show called Anne Droid. How did Diane Morgan become a comedian in her twenty She had proper jobs, working as a dental assistant, peeling potatoes and making sales calls as a telemarketer. She said, I felt like I'm on the right track any minute now, that phone's going to ring for years. Then one day her boss at the telesales agency suggested stand up. Diane said, I was like, no way, can't think of anything worse. But she was about to turn thirty and thought, eh, I'll try it. It went all right, and I thought, oh my god, I think I might be able to do this, and would mean doing twenty minutes being physically sick every night rather than eight minutes of sitting in a telesales chair. Things change when she auditioned for Philamina Kunk. The character appears in Kunk on Shakespeare, Kunk on Earth, Cunk on Life, and now they're working on Kunk on Cinema quote because there's a lot of very pretentious film people. Her new show was Ann Droid, a BBC sitcom about the relationship between a widowed pensater and her humanoid robot helper played by Diane Morgan. Diane said, I was laughing at my friend, Oh, that'll be me, because I don't have kids that'll be fed soup by a robot. The robot's carrying you to bed, the really embarrassing stuff. We were just laughing our heads off. Her droid is named Linda, who's a secondhand model with a blunt man and a vacant stare. Preparation involved robots school with a guy named Dan that leads to some physical comedy with an unblinking gaze, rigid stance, and jerky movements. Diane said, yeah, it really hurts. I've got new respect for c three po As for the voice, she tried a hybrid of Siri and Alexa, but it didn't work. Diane said, so I looked at old style robots and it weirdly came out as Catherine Hepburn. Meanwhile, Ed Gamble is the host of a brand new comedy show Unacceptable, where he oversees a gaggle of comedians as they battled a sway the audience to side with their most outrageous opinions. Gamble said, I think panel shows have gotten a bad reputation in the past of being very competitive and comedians not giving each other room and only trying to get their own stuff in, and I think that's changed a little bit now. The comedy scene seems to be a little bit more collaborative and this is a special show because each comedian has their moment to shine, to do their unacceptable opinion. How edgy does this get? Gamble says, I think all the opinions that are unacceptable or the sort of thing that everybody could get involved in and discuss and have an opinion on. There's certainly no one saying anything where you're like, well, that's that's get upset a lot of people. The Guardian watched the show. They gave it two stores out of five and added that it feels completely unnecessary. The review says, you know we don't see enough of on British TV. Romesh Wagon Nathan said, no one ever unacceptable is for reasons that aren't totally clear. A panel show and which comedians defend their worst opinions in front of a studio audience who are unlikely to agree with their horrible views. Richard Ayoada, who is fantastic and to be a great doctor, who by the way anybody paying attention and Joanne McNally are the team captains. Ayoada does his usual deadpan thing and McNally leans in her strain of entertaining over sharing, except because this is unacceptable, she has to say things like I almost bought a mega hat because I like the colors. Perhaps in twenty years, unacceptable will be a household name like never mind the Buzzcocks or mock the Week. But I don't see it, says The Guardian, And that is your comedy news for today. All right, we've made it through the week and what should have been a slow week. Thank you comedians, this was awesome. Tomorrow will take a look at the Office UK. Sunday's a norrible episode. See you tomorrow.