Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning, and welcome, welcome, welcome in his time now for our community connection right here on kay what the one you trust? And today, Well, we've got some of my favorite people here. We got the Martinsvill High School choir and miss jam But Miss Jann doesn't want talk. She's got like laryngitis or some kind of crazy, you know, airborne illness, and it's preventing her from saying anything when the microphone is open. So we have here with this here, we have Noah Ramirez, we have Nanny. How can I see? We also have Liberty Share. I'm not familiar with that. No, we're in our house half the time. Gabby Burke is with us here today too, and we have a big concert coming up on Tuesday, October twenty second, seven pm.
Speaker 2: Noah, how much has it got to cost to get into this thing? Free to show up, just got to show up.
Speaker 1: There you go, man, I have my own heart, JAMII, bring the family, pack up the neighbors. We'll plack the joint there and we're gonna have a lot of fun here too. Now, we've got a lot of great songs in here. And I was talking to some of the youngsters just beforehand about some of the songs that are going to be performed, and you told me you liked one by a fellow by the name of Barry Manilow.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're performing Copa Cabana by Barry Manilow. It is really awesome. We got free tickets to see him in August, and whenever we went to see him, our teacher wound up speaking to his stage manager and some people, and one of his composers arranged a song for us. So our jazz choir is doing an acapella. We've got some awesome percussionists. It's just it's awesome.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, you're gonna do this acapella?
Speaker 3: Yes, everything the jazz choir performs is acapella.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, then this is going to have to be a musk because that thing was originally composed for a big time you know orchestra that you'd have in a nightclub back in the forties and fifties, that type of style. The song itself wasn't composed into the seventies, but it was in that style. So to pull that off acapella, you must guys been working day and night on this.
Speaker 3: We have.
Speaker 2: What's one of your favorites or not.
Speaker 4: Autumn Leaves. It's a jazz standard and it's really since it's a cappella it's it's really cool to like sing with.
Speaker 1: Everyone and Liberty, you said you like that too, and what draws you to it?
Speaker 5: Well, I've always listened to that song most of my life, so I'm a huge jazz lover. It was sang by Ela Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra and that's what drawn me to Autumn Leaves and how we sing it in general.
Speaker 2: Okay, very good. Now, Noah, you got a song that you really like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's the Monsom Road James Taylor. Huh, the guys are singing it this year?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Good Now, everybody I hope is familiar with JT. He's a living legend in his own spare time and mine too. But I got to tell you the guy, I can write a song and I can't wait to hear how this comes out with the choir.
Speaker 2: Now, as far as being with the choir, how long you been with them?
Speaker 3: This is my seventh year.
Speaker 1: Seventh year. Yeah, so you're kind of like the veteran one.
Speaker 3: Of them, one of them.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of us.
Speaker 2: Okay, what about you?
Speaker 4: This is my fifth year, fifth.
Speaker 2: Year, you keep trying you catch up with her? What about you?
Speaker 5: I've been doing it like just high school or middle school, or I've been doing it since I was in elementary. Oh, and I did throughout elementary and middle school and high school.
Speaker 1: Noah started in seventh grade year. All right, good, So you guys got a little bit of experience under the belt here and ready to just have yourself a great time. Now when we get ready for one of these things, the rehearsals have just got to be, you know, kind of fun, but then you got to kind of bear down toward the end, and then once you get on stage and watch the payoff, it's gotta be great. What about it for you? What's the most fun part in preparation?
Speaker 4: Oh, the most fun part I think whenever, like at least in jazz, whenever the songs start to actually come together, because it takes a little bit for us to like everyone learn their part individually, but as soon as we get all together and people like it starts locking in. It's like I remember there was a day where we were saying autumn leaves and it was just different, Like you can just feel that we'd finally gotten it, that it was like that it sounded.
Speaker 1: Great a moment. Anthy said, yeah, what about you?
Speaker 3: I love the aha moment, And I just love our group. I think it's a really special group, and it's a really kind of a privilege. You get to work with so many really talented musicians, so I think every rehearsal is really special. I think they handle their singing with a level of seriousness and it helps us produce a really, really great sound.
Speaker 2: Now this is something else when you get the song.
Speaker 1: Presented to you and you got to work on how you're gonna sound, and then all of a sudden everybody starts coming together. Well, we were talking about that aha moment. How hard is it to keep the concentration though?
Speaker 6: Oh well, this just depends on where you're at sitting in the choir, Like, if you're in the middle of your section, it's kind of easy, but if you're toward the outside of another part, it's a little hard. Because for me personally, I can sing ten or two embarratts on one, so if I'm next to the ten or two sometimes I might accidentally flip to them, so it can get confusing. But it just depends on where you're sitting.
Speaker 1: What you're saying is you got a blendable talent. Yeah, we're gonna go with that. Nobody putting it all together with what are your favorite parts of this and what are your biggest challenges?
Speaker 5: When you maybe this is a bit taboo obviously, but you take a moment to see the kids around you as we all sing our favorite songs. You can sense the sense of passion and their voices and their eyes light up whenever they sing Praise's Name, which is what we're all singing. It's a very upbeat gospel related song that most of everyone loves. Or whenever we seen Celtic Dance and jazz choir, you sense that sense of like I really want to dance to this or I'm very happy to be here. That's my favorite part of choir.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. Thanks once again.
Speaker 1: This will be coming up on Tuesday, October twenty second at seven pm and the cost is absolutely free. That will be at the Fine Arts Center. Let's pack the place that. I don't know if you youngsters realize how good you got it, because there are a lot of schools that don't have this. We know, yeah you do.
Speaker 5: It's amazing to look up and you see all the things that are used for sound grouping and things like that. It's just amazing. As a kid, I would just look up and I just don't even pay attention to a choir or anything. I just look up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It was like, no, it was like a palace as like a five year old kid.
Speaker 1: Wow. And you know a lot of colleges don't have really what what she got there? You kind of blest, so you know, take it and run with it to.
Speaker 5: Be and the catwalks are amazing to see and you just kind of look down.
Speaker 2: You're like, that's pretty high up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wellah well yeah, that's why mister Sathley does all the running around up there.
Speaker 2: He does a lot of it.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Now, when it came to deciding that, you know, music might have been your calling, how did you know?
Speaker 2: Is it something you were born with? You think?
Speaker 3: I grew up singing in church every Sunday, and whenever I was younger, I started singing in church and I wound up doing one or two shows with CMT. I started doing piano lessons and I just kind of took it and ran with it. I did different choirs as a kid and I just never stopped.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's good. How about you know?
Speaker 6: Wow? So I used to wanted to be a drummer when I was younger, and so like, I kind of just wound up having a musical talent. And I didn't really know that I could sing until seventh grade when I accidentally got put.
Speaker 7: In a choir.
Speaker 3: How do you.
Speaker 2: I'm dying to hear that.
Speaker 7: I have no idea that I guess the office people just accidentally put me in a choir and I was Me and my friend Hayes were in the female choir because they they messed up so bad with the schedules, but they just wound up putting us back in the male choir and then just got on going.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was pretty fun because that was the first year of for our new teacher, Miss Shaw, and she was a really good teacher. She made maybe just want to stay.
Speaker 2: What about you? What was your mobile? What grew you too? Do want it?
Speaker 1: Sank?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Well, my entire family is like really involved in music, so I don't know. I remember, like just from a very young age, I would sing with my sisters all the time, and then around like fourth or fifth grade, I joined like the Bardicla Youth choir that we had for a couple of years. I think Gabby was in it too, So like doing things like that was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what I was a part of too in Wilson Elementary.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly. So it's like from a very young age, I've been.
Speaker 1: Fold unities choirs.
Speaker 2: You did the same thing.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was called select choir where we used to audition, and I remember doing those auditions growing up. But that's not how I started into singing. It was when I first watched The Music Man when I was two to three years old, and I used to dance along with them. I used to know the choreography and it was one of my favorite movies of all time. I watched that thing over and over and that's how it started.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna believe this. Nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 1: I was the Music Man, Harold Hill, Professor theory, think method, think the minuet and g there you go, Yeah, there it goes, there you go. But mayn alive this is this is really going to be a nice show. Bartletsville High School Choir. It's going to be at the Fine Arts Center, beautiful, beautiful surrounding and you can't beat the price. It's absolutely free. This will be on Tuesday, October twenty second at seven pm, and you don't want to miss it. It's really going to be a lot of fun. How many how many people are in the jazz choir?
Speaker 2: You think is twenty four?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: Twenty four?
Speaker 5: Okay, pretty good amount of people for.
Speaker 4: A jazz fire.
Speaker 1: I was going to say sometimes they keep that around, you know, twelve eighteen or something like that in some cases. But if you got twenty four, that's a lot. That's a load of talent up on one stage. My goodness. I want to thank you all for being here with us today, and I want to wish you the best of luck on this too, because you know it's it's going to be a lot of fun and it's going to.
Speaker 2: Be a great way to get some exposure as well.
Speaker 1: Thanks for being with us here on our community connection, right here on K one, the one you trust.