Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Well, yesterday I was sitting at my neighbor's house. It was his seventy sixth birthday. A bunch of neighbors got together. We had some cake, some champagne, and I see smoke. We see smoke in the distance, and I go, oh, that looks like a fire. Looks like it's got some fuel there. So I get on my little phone, get I jump on the Twitter, and I Google fire, I google La County. I'm searching for all sorts of different you know, the fire, two tens, just stuff like this. I can't find any answers. So I called Steve Gregory and he picks up the phone and I said, Steve, I see smoke. It's near my house, and he, in the most gentle way, said yes, it's the Wittier narrows. It looks like they've knocked it down. And he was so gentle, and it reminded me of the way my father would talk to his mother when she was senile, and would call the house with in nane question. Right, I'm now that old.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not that you're that old, it's just that you're.
Speaker 1: Starting to You should have heard his tone. It was like, yeah, that's the wittier and narrows, like, bless your heart, you're still seeing things. That's good, right, that's positive.
Speaker 3: I saw a lot of Olympics yesterday. I actually enjoyed watching some of the Olympics.
Speaker 2: It was fun.
Speaker 3: The whole basketball thing cracks me up. We have arguably the greatest what twelve athletes or whatever that ever played that sport currently, and they dropped ten points right away. I mean they were down ten to two in the opening seconds of the game.
Speaker 1: Makes no difference.
Speaker 2: Steve got to be like, whoa turn out.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. They choose to turn it on, and they turn it on. They're like the Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes. It's like la de da three and a half quarters. Oh, I guess I'll start playing now. Win win, win.
Speaker 2: So we'll talk about the Olympics.
Speaker 3: There's some fun stuff that's gone on at the Olympics in Paris over the court and yet another attack of some kind that went after telecommunication services that doesn't appear to have the same impact obviously that attacking rail stations does, but a sign that that's still definitely a target. President Trump said something stupid over the weekend that nobody quite understands what he meant with the whole vote.
Speaker 2: Now you won't ever have to vote again.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: Everyone lost their minds online about this, about how he's going to take the presidency and never let it go. And this is our worst fear. I think he did it just to f with people.
Speaker 3: I don't even think he thinks that far ahead. I think he's I mean, he's clearly did it off script. It was off of off the teleprompter, but yes it was. And it's one of those things where he says it it sounds good, but without showing any of his work. It leaves just like we see in other instances when there's no information, we fill it with vs.
Speaker 1: I think it's meat to the base. I mean, that is the lane he is driving in and he's committed to this. It is the carpool lane with the double yellow line. He is wanting to fire up his base, and he's turning away. I think independence in the process. That's what he did with JD. Vans. It's what he does, just letting them have that seed. Planted that once he gets the presidency, he'll never let it go, or the Republicans will never let it go, and that they will thwart democracy. I think the base loves to hear that stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just found out a short time ago that former President Trump is going to sit for what they call a victim interview in the investigation into the attempted assassination.
Speaker 2: The FBI does this routinely.
Speaker 3: It's not anything specifically interesting other than that it's a former president. The FBI Special Agent in charge of the Pittsburgh office didn't say when this is going to take place, but said it would be a standard victim interview that they do for any other victim of crime. Of course, remember there was one guy who was killed and two others who were hurt in the stands. The President was hit with a bullet in his ear. This morning, also on Good Morning America, Aaron Katursky, who you've heard on this show multiple times, sat down with the sniper team, the local sniper team that was there Beaver County Swat and talk to them about what happened that day. They were the closest swat team and we're charged with the security in the outside perimeter.
Speaker 1: There Beaver County swat sniper Gregory Nichol spotted this man skulking around the outskirts of this site where Trump was about to take the stage. He had a second floor post inside the AGR complex at the fairgrounds. He noticed this guy, a young man in a gray shirt, just kind of lurking was his word. He was looking up and down the building. He said, it seemed out of place, didn't seem right. He noticed an unattended bike and backpack.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: He was the first officer to issue a warning about this. But within an hour, and you heard that correctly, an hour went by before this guy opened fire. So the sniper raises the red flags. Hey, there's something going on with this dude over here. Doesn't seem right. It's a gut check. But yet that dude was able to continue to be at the event, arm himself and fire eight bullets.
Speaker 3: This was one of the revelations from this morning's interview, or the interview I should say that aired this morning on ABC.
Speaker 2: Let me see if this.
Speaker 5: We were supposed to get a face briefing with the Secret Service sniper's purse whenever they arrived, and that never happened. So I think that that was probably a pivotal point where I started.
Speaker 2: All right, well something wrong with the computer.
Speaker 1: But he's saying, helcome first, how come every Monday have we come in here? And it's like there were monkeys going wild, ripping chords out of things and just effing things up no apparent reason.
Speaker 2: And all you have to do is just leave him where it is, just where they are.
Speaker 1: It works just fine for everybody. Fine.
Speaker 3: Anyway, He's saying that they were supposed to be briefed, The entire Beaver County squat team was supposed to be briefed by Secret Service when they arrived at the location, and that never happened. In fact, when Aaron Katurski asked them, so when did you talk to Secret Service? He said, well after the shooting, and by then, obviously it's way too late.
Speaker 1: Do you think you could do that pommel horse thing? No, I was, you need to some more planks.
Speaker 3: I talked to my wife last night about gymnastics and if she ever I did gymnastics for I don't know, a year and a half.
Speaker 2: Two years.
Speaker 3: I think when I was I can see that something like that. I got as far as the uneven parallel bars. That's that's about as far as I got.
Speaker 1: I tried gymnastics as well, like any red blooded female American. And my problem is is I am not fearless. I am very I'm overly cautious. Cannot just throw caution to the wind and throw my body around. I am terrified of really everything that goes into gymnastics. Somersault nailed it, Yeah exactly. I mean I had a panic attack trying to do a cartwheel in the hallway a couple of months ago.
Speaker 3: That was pretty funny. You look, and now I realize where this comes from. My dog is very concerned about stairs. Yeah, like he can go upstairs, sure, coming downstairs is very frustrating for him because I mean, tiny.
Speaker 1: Little legs and stuff. I'm a wreck on an escalator.
Speaker 3: Well, but that the looks and the sounds that he makes now trying to come downstairs very similar what you were making right before you try to carp.
Speaker 1: I'm having an oversized reaction to this whole sexist remark by the by the euros sport broadcaster Bob Ballard. I'm having an oversized reaction. I do not believe that was a sexist remark. Women. Well, you know what the women are like, hanging around doing their makeup. I watched the Simone Biles documentary over the weekend, the first two episodes. Fantastic. You know what she's doing in a good portion of that documentary, hanging around doing makeup, doing makeup with Ali Raisman. That's what we do. That's what women do. Can you be an athlete and hang around and do your makeup? Yes, we do all of these things.
Speaker 2: Clearly they I mean, we just we just saw it all day yesterday.
Speaker 3: Now, the thing is it was sexist, but it wasn't offensive enough to I mean, get them out there and just go, hey, listen. Clearly I care enough about the events and the sports to do what I do as a for a living.
Speaker 1: So it was a fun little joke. Which what woman doesn't like to hang around and do her makeup? Childless cat ladies?
Speaker 3: Okay, no, no, I didn't say it was Jdvan.
Speaker 1: How about giving a waste some money? Will I do that? No?
Speaker 2: We're done with that?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how did you get that away? All of our money we got we're poor. Now we are poor. We got to wait for more money to come in. There's a bunch going on today, at least eight people transported to hospitals with stab wounds after what they say as a major incident in the UK. Officers responded just before noon their time to reports of a stabbing at a property in Southport, a seaside town about twenty miles north of Liverpool. Armed police have detained a mail and seized a knife. He has been taken to the police station. They said there may have been kids involved. Israeli drones struck a remote road in southern Lebanon. At least two people were killed by these two Israeli drone strikes. Of course, this is in retaliation and we're waiting for a major retaliation after a rocket strike on Saturday in the goal On Heights killed twelve children, many of them as they were just playing soccer.
Speaker 1: So we mentioned this before the break. But my first reaction to reading this headline, President Biden announces bold plan to reform the Supreme Court. My first reaction inside my head right away without missing a beat, was lol, there's no way President Biden is calling for any sort of sweeping Supreme Court reforms. He's calling for warm milk, okay. And it leads you to this question, because after you're done laughing about how ridiculous that is that he's sitting there, you know, coming up masterminding some bold plan for the future of the Supreme Court. The big question is, after the laughter subsides, who's running the country?
Speaker 3: Who is writing op eds like this? I would say this about many of the presidents that we've seen. I mean, Trump didn't bother writing op ed pieces, not in his own language, at least now, because they would have been an absolute mishmash of broken sentences and malapropisms. In this case, it's a question of okay, he may have had an idea at some point, especially after the Dobbs decision, that he wanted to try to prevent a even greater majority conservative Supreme Court.
Speaker 2: I get it there.
Speaker 3: There have been times in the past when the Supreme Court has been very, very liberal, and we've never changed to the Supreme Court as a result of as a result of the political aspect or the political leanings of them.
Speaker 2: One of the things that he has said he's wanted to do was.
Speaker 3: A constitutional amendment called the no One is Above the Law Amendment never going to happen, make clear that no immunity for crimes a former president committed while in office.
Speaker 2: Share.
Speaker 3: He says, I share our founders belief that the president power is limited, not absolute. We're a nation of laws, not of kings or dictators. That's fine, I mean, the heart of it, I would agree with. I think there should be something spelled out that there is no one in this country that's above the law. I completely agree with that. You're never going to get that in a constitutional amendment. You're never going to get this through Congress, period. Yeah, because it's carry it full stop. Two thirds of Congress, right have to approve a constitutional amendment, and then it's three quarters of state legislatures. This process does not go in six months. This is not a quick process. That's why there are very few, relatively few amendments to the actual constitution. Second thing, he wants term limits for presidents. Sorry, we've had term limits for presidents. We should have the same for Supreme Court justices. Again, that would also require a believe a constitutional amendment because it's spelled out in the Constitution that justices do not have do not have term limits. And then third, a code of conduct for the Supreme Court. He says, this is common sense. The Court's current Voluntary Ethics Code is weak and self enforced. I heard a great smart comment from John Yu who is a former assistant Deputy Attorney General, said if this stuff is to pass, it would have to be in the form of a constitutional amendment.
Speaker 4: Now Biden and Harris are going to say, oh, Congress stream just pass it by statue. But really, if you want to be changing the term moments of justices of the Supreme Court, which in the Constitution are granted for life, I think you need to mend the constitution. That requires two thirds of the Congress and three quarters of the state legislatures. It takes years and years to get constitutional amendments through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Wish for a sparkly uniform unicorn to fly through your window? Will it be just as successful? Or you're what?
Speaker 2: You're bum? You're bum?
Speaker 1: You want a unicorn in your backside? That sound like a good time to you.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just saying, what did you do this weekend? Unusual? That's what it would be. It would be unusual.
Speaker 1: Biden's going to be at the LBJ Library this afternoon. How many days are we going to have to put up with this as a nation? Watching him stumble through remarks.
Speaker 3: Well, one hundred ninety eight eight whatever until November fifth, and then.
Speaker 1: And then there's November and December and January.
Speaker 3: There's a new poll out that says we're gonna leave.
Speaker 1: Him out there in the cold in January. Oh gets cold at the handing of the baton.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: In fact, when Obama he's gonna need a blanket, I was, well.
Speaker 2: Everybody's gonna need a blanket at that point.
Speaker 3: But I was there a few days after Obama was sworn in, and it was about eighteen degrees I think, and it was colder than that on the day of the inauguration, if I'm not mistaken, Yeah, ter gross. This new poll shows that the race is essentially tied. According to the Wall Street Journal, the former president leads forty nine to forty seven, but the margin of error is plus or minus three point one, so it's well within the margin of error, which is interesting because if it's just the two of them, Trump leads forty nine to forty seven. If you include other independent third party candidates RFK jill Stein, people like that Harris gets fit forty five percent, Trump gets forty four percent.
Speaker 1: Items belonging to OJ Simpson will be auctioned off to raise money to pay civil claims. Back in ninety seven, the families of Nicole Brown, Simpson, and Ron Goldman were awarded thirty three and a half million dollars in that wrongful death lawsuit, not seeing a dime. The auctioned comes just one day after Fred Goldman filed a one hundred and seventeen million dollar creditor claim against Simpson's estate. Items in the auction include OJ's personal property like his heisman, the Heisman trophy at the golf clubs, a high end suv as well. Who's buying that stuff.
Speaker 3: The same people that it's like that they got in trouble with in Vegas.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's kind of like, on one hand, you want to buy it to help Fred Goldman or help the families get something. On the other hand, you're feeling pretty gross about yourself if you're spending thousands of dollars to get OJ Simpson stuff.
Speaker 3: So Friday, at the turning Point Action Believers summat in Florida, President Trump said.
Speaker 5: This, Christians, get out and vote. Just this time. You won't have to do it anymore four more years. You know what, It'll be fixed.
Speaker 2: It'll be fine.
Speaker 5: You won't have to vote anymore, my beautiful Christians. I love you Christians.
Speaker 2: I'm not Christian. I love you Christian kind.
Speaker 5: To get out and vote. In four years, you don't have to vote again. We'll have it, fixtion.
Speaker 1: You're knocking down on it, Okay, he keeps saying the word fixed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you think he said I'm not right Christians. I love you Christians, I'm not Christians.
Speaker 1: There's a debate going on if he said I'm not Christian, or he said I'm Christian. I thought he said I'm not Christian.
Speaker 2: I'm a Christian.
Speaker 5: Are you Christians?
Speaker 1: I'm not Christian, I'm a Christian. Maybe he's saying he is a Christian. Why wouldn't he say I'm a Christian.
Speaker 2: It makes zero sense. I mean, let's stand there for it's.
Speaker 1: Just really go for it.
Speaker 2: I did think it was funny.
Speaker 3: Somebody pointed out there are not pictures of him praying like I've seen a handful of pictures, very artistically done, you know, the very soft light through the window of the stained glass.
Speaker 2: They're all ai generated. I haven't seen any of them.
Speaker 1: Well, the closest he's come is that money shot of him bloodied on the floor of a secret service surrounding him after someone took a shot at him, and his hands are kind of up. And when I saw that image, here we go, someone's going, here we go.
Speaker 3: Now we don't know what the hell he meant by this. You got to get out and vote. In four years, you don't have to vote.
Speaker 1: This is when people start screaming at the radio. Stop saying stop trying to interpret what he meant. Just take him on his word. That's exactly what he meant. That he's going to stay in office or the Republicans will keep the office. There will be no more elections, and that's what people are losing their minds over.
Speaker 3: Daniel Goldman, Congressman, and said the only way you won't have to vote anymore is if Donald Trump becomes a dictator. Adam Schiff said, this year, democracy is on the ballot, and if we are to save it, we must vote against authoritarianism. Trump hopefully reminds us, helpfully reminds us that the alternative is never having the chance to vote again. And then why we even listened to Keith Overman again. Somebody said Trump just canceled the twenty twenty eight election. Chris Sununu, Governor of Massachusetts. I'm sorry, Governor of New Hampshire. They're all small and you know what I mean, he dismissed this whole thing. I saw this interview that he did with this week on ABC Governor.
Speaker 6: What the heck did he mean there? Well, I think that was a classic trump ism, if you will. I think he's just trying to make the point that this stuff can be fixed. You know, obviously it's we want everybody to vote in all elections. But I think he was just trying to make a hyperbolic point that it can be fixed as long as he gets back into office and all that. But you know, Conspt Trump right there.
Speaker 3: Why don't we ask the guy? Why doesn't somebody get and ask Trump what he meant by that?
Speaker 1: He knew what he was doing. He was making sure that everyone was talking about him today, and he accomplished that goal.
Speaker 3: I just I just don't think he's got that amount of Well, he stumbles into these things, he doesn't fight it.
Speaker 2: He stumbles into these things.
Speaker 3: He realizes that sometimes the best, uh, the best response is to not respond and just allow this thing to sort of simmer.
Speaker 1: Exactly last week, I said out loud, what's he going to do? All of the attention for Kamala has got to be driving him insane. He needs to claw back some of that attention. That's just his personality. And here we go. Over the weekend, he's got it back. At least today, no one's talking about Kamala. They're all talking about Trump. And over the weekend people lost their minds, while the whole time his base is somewhere, you know, behind a tree, waiting, you know.
Speaker 2: The mean they're rubbing their hands together the meme the guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they're like, yes, they love to hear that it's music through their ears, that they won't give up the White House.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: Deadpool and Wolverine gross two hundred and five million dollars in domestic.
Speaker 1: Sales, and that's what they were projecting. I mean, they blew the projections out of the water, but you knew they would.
Speaker 3: Four thirty eight globally, So it's the record holder for the highest grossing opening weekend for an R rated movie. It is also number eight all time for any movie. It's coming right between a couple of the Marvel products, The Avengers and black Pants.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Marvel, remember how we were all really sad spoiler alert when we watched Avengers Endgame and they all died and just like disintegrated into pieces, especially iron Man in particular. For me, it was hard and I was like, he can't be dead. There's just there's no way. They've got to figure out how to bring him back. There's got to be some sort of mechanism. But that did not happen, and you had to sit here and say, no, they're dead. It's over endgame. Well, Robert Downey Jr. Is returning to the Marvel universe. You already know this.
Speaker 2: But he's a bad guy, isn't he.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be Victor von Doom. Yeah, that sounds like a bad guy. Go out on a limb. Here, go outing on a limb. It's a new Avengers movie called Avengers Doomsday. Russo Russo Brothers are set to direct the film, along with Avengers Secret Wars.
Speaker 3: Is no one gonna go, hey, doesn't that guy look like Tony Stark Victor von Doom.
Speaker 1: Well, they're gonna have to definitely alter everything every because all I'm gonna see is iron Man.
Speaker 3: A big study, groundbreaking study presented at the Alzheimer's Association in international conference in Philadelphia yesterday showed that scientists have made this MA stride toward the goal of diagnosing Alzheimer's disease with a simple blood test. Teamor researchers are reported that a blood test significantly more accurate than doctor's interpretation of cognitive tests or CT scans in trying to signal this condition. So they said that this blood test about ninety percent of the time correctly identified whether patients with memory problems had Alzheimer's. They said that a dementia specialist using just standard methods like standard methods testing and things like that, they're accurate about seventy three percent of the time. Primary care doctors who use PET scans or spinal taps only got it right sixty one percent of the time. These There have been other blood tests developed for Alzheimer's and currently used to screen participants in the clinical trials, but they said that this is hugely groundbreaking because it could be a step in the screening process could be only used for people with memory loss and other symptoms of cognitive decline, not for people who would otherwise be healthy, to try to predict if they were in fact going to develop Alzheimer's. They also said that the research itself was done in Sweden, which has a very.
Speaker 2: What's the word Sweden has a very white population.
Speaker 3: Period, and they are well, they're saying it doesn't necessarily translate to a population like you'd find in the United States, which would be much more ethnically racially diverse. So they would do it again here just to see if it also works in different ethnicities, et cetera, at least to the same level. But massive, massive, news, and that's a positive thing. Hey, Tomorrow, the Dodger's going to take on the Padres. They beat the Astros yesterday six to two. The Dodgers going to take on the Padres down in San Diego. First pitch is at six forty and you can listen to every play of every Dodger's game on AM five seventy LA Sports Live from the Galvin Motors Broadcast booth, stream all the games in HD on that iHeartRadio app used the keyword AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Do you hear about Freddy Freeman's son. That's terrifying. Gosh, when there's something medically wrong with your kid, what a helpless situation. You can be Iron Man, you can be Freddie Freeman, the dutiest dude that ever dudd, but you have zero power and zero control over that. And that's just terrifying.
Speaker 2: Kids.
Speaker 1: Three, yeah, three years old, it's unimaginable, unimaginable.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app