Speaker 1: Welcome to mid Rats with sal from Commander Salamander and Eagle One from Eagle Speak at seer Shure your home for a discussion of national security issues and all things maritime and welcome aboard everybody. This is the aforementioned Sho along with Egle One here today and we are live fun little twist today. Because I'm a bear of little brain, some of those who are checking the email are actually getting the link as a guest, so we can see Slugo and Mark and Steven their early adopters before I change that link. So we look like we have lots of guests, but it's just Mark and I today in the audience link. Thank goodness, I hope went out to tens of thousands of people on X.
Speaker 2: But that's all right. You're all welcome aboard.
Speaker 1: But we are live right now unless you are listening to the podcast, and today we are having our September free for all, which means that our topic list is so open that before the show and Slugo, who was the first guy across the unsecured door, no, we didn't even coordinate our topics ahead of time, but that means it's open board. And if you're with us Live. We'd like to invite you to go into the chat room. Does Mark and I pick up the subjects that we find the most interesting today. If there's a topic you would like for us to address to, whether it's on our list or not, we'd like to be invite you to go in there and just pop it down there. Mark and I will both be watching the chat room as it scrolls along for those that wish to play, and if you're just here to listen, that's great. So hey, Mark, good afternoon. Let's see whether there's surprises.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think this is this is a lot of fun actually, So I hope, I hope slug Oh and Steven and Paul enjoy their enjoy their status as guests.
Speaker 2: Well, they've all been.
Speaker 1: With us for a regular basis, especially Paul, so they're they're more than welcome to you know, I was I was talking to somebody who were remained nameless who was interested in, you know, starting a podcast. I've talked to a few people through the year, so he just wanted a few hints and he was really kind of concerned about production and careful planning and didn't know whether he to do it live and you'll appreciate this. Maybe you have a better answer than I do. But he's like, well, yeah, how do you deal with with going live? You must do a lot of preparation and scripting. And I literally just laughed, Well, we've been doing this is twenty ten and we we actually just literally make it up.
Speaker 2: No, you can't just do that.
Speaker 1: I mean, you don't have any control. It's like, well, that's the way we do it. It saves us whole lot of time. So this is kind of the pinnacle that it keeps you humble. Lets you know that you never know what's going to happen on midrets.
Speaker 3: Nope, so let's see. You suggested talking about the red sea to begin with, So start off with the red seat.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, in honor of our guests last two weeks ago, the last time we had a show, sal Marcagliano, he had a rather unfortunate exchange over on X with some of the usual left wing trolls on there who just they don't contribute, They just like to throw throw mudd at people. But it was an interesting to see that in some sidebar conversations with some of the points that Sal actually brought up, because here we are coming on on eleven months since the attack on Israel on October seventh of twenty twenty three, and then the extra little effort gave by the Iranian proxies and the hoo Thies that we've talked about quite a few times here in the course of the last eleven months here on Metraps and the great naval power that is the US and her allies and friends. And you can look at the open source information on where our fleet is deployed right now. It's in the Persian Gulf, Arabian Golf, whatever you want to call it, and the Eastern Mediterranean. Trying to keep Iran actual back inside her box a little bit because of what's going on still in Israel and Gaza and with Hesbla and the Red Sea is still it's worse than the wild Wild West because there's not even a good cavalry patrol. There's just the occasional element here and there that is going up and down and at will. The houthis are able to attack international shipping and one of the most critical junctures in the world when it comes to trade, and it's just amazing that more people are not and a lot of It may or may not have to do with the fact that this is an election year, and I always try to keep that in my back pocket when I wonder why things are or are not being talked about. That might have something to do with it, maybe not, I don't know, but there is a in the national security arena. Mark there's a large arena of people who love to come into the conversation about international law, the rule of law. They want us to be signed on to the Law of the Sea treaty that we haven't signed on to. They've been, especially in the last nine months, very quiet. You also have those that above all, and there's a non zero percentage of people in the leadership at d D who think that climate change is the most important thing, and people in the arena like Salamar Cogliana who worked that segment, they've been very open about the additional hydrocarbons that are being injected into the atmosphere from having to go around South Africa as opposed to going through the Red Sea for those ships that decided they don't want to have the insurance premium. And you also have from a strictly American point of view, is we have not had a good record the last fifteen to twenty five years of burnishing and reinforcing hour which is our greatest deterrence, which is our reputation and our credibility on the world. Saint and the fact that here we are. I would not have thought back in February or so that you and I would be talking in September where we still have these ability to go into onto tankers who were carrying four times what was leaked, and by the Exxon Valdez attack the ship, stop the ship, forced the evacuation of the ship, and then with a multimedia presentation blow it up right in the Red Sea. But here we are, I don't see. And there's a real interesting and we did mention a couple of weeks ago, but there's been some echoes of it. Ward Curl's interview with the former commander of the Eisenhower Strike Group and what he had to say about the decisions. There are some secondary and tertiary effects of the lawlessness in the Red Sea. I don't know who's going to resolve it or when it's going to be resolved, but it's going to take a lot law back to center line, because I think the international order for lack of a better phrase, has been damaged more than of people appreciate by US, the imperial US not.
Speaker 2: Doing anything about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think people have to remember a couple of things. One is that the Suez Canal was closed from nineteen sixty seven, I think for several years. I think six years, maybe maybe not quite that long, but at least sixty seven to seventy two.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: So this is not should not be a world shaking event.
Speaker 2: We've been down.
Speaker 3: This road before where the Seuz Canal could not be used. And the question, you know that I think many people ask is why would we do we have to be the world's share all the time. There are other nations that are really thoroughly impacted by by what is going on with the Huthis and the Red Sea. And you know, I mean even the Chinese are apparently sending some of their ships around the Northern Route instead of through the Red Sea area, even though for a while apparently they were under some kind of immunity from attack by the Houthis.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: So the I think fundamentally we have to ask the question how much of our how many of our people, how many of our large ships, how many of our aircraft do we want to risk to get involved with the Houthis? And in this case, I mean, if we're going to pursue this vigorously, then you really and you've already touched on we have to go after i Ran. We cannot sit back and let Iran continue to supply it seems to be an unlimited amount of weaponry to the Houthis. And the question is does anybody want to take on Iran right now? And this administration in particular has been pretty soft on them, and a lot of the money that has been turned over the last few years to the Iranians has helped pay for all this weaponry. And and we're also seeing I think reports of Iranian influence campaigns that to a lot of the anti Semitic activities have been going on the various parts of the country, included college campuses and stuff. You know that they're funding a lot of this stuff, so that you know, we we have pretty good reasons as we as usual to go after a RAM. But I don't know if anybody has the stomach to to go into another big This would be a big war in the in that region of the world, And whether we need to. I mean, you know, we will pay additional cost for the the shipment of oil and goods around Africa. But you know, we've we've done that before. And I don't I don't. I just don't know if anybody really wants to get involved the way we'd need to get that said. We've already put I think one of our guests as he has a son who deployed with VFA.
Speaker 2: Thirty two.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of other squadrons that getting ready to go out there, and uh on other on on yet another carrier, you know, and it has as somebody pointed out, it just takes one hit by the Huthis on one of our warships two to you know, they'll they'll consider that a major a major victory if they did some damage to one of our d d gs or or cruisers or.
Speaker 2: Carriers.
Speaker 3: And uh and I and I don't think I would want to be I guess and we'll find out. I don't think the president wants to be in the chair if that were to happen. And uh, but you know, I think it's a risk question whether we're willing to risk it, whether it's our nation's job to risk it, or we you know, we we we are believers in international law. These are people clearly violating international law. But as with all international law, you always have to ask, well, who's who's going to enforce it? Who's enforcing the international law against the Chinese intruding on the Filipino uh Exclusive Economic Zone and rent ramming their their coast guard ships into the end of the Philippine Coast Guard ships?
Speaker 2: You know there?
Speaker 3: Who was the Is this is this a job from America? Do we have some other force that can can do this? I think these are questions that are are fundamental to our national security and our our our strategic greater strategic uh plants. You know, do we have a grand strategy and does it and geopolitical strategy and does it involve getting involved in these kinds of the affairs?
Speaker 1: And you know, you brought up a good point. And I think you know this existed while the Cold War were still going on. Is now you remember better than I do because I was too busy being a college kid during the last part of it. But we may just be seeing some of the and it's been accelerated by the events in Ukraine and also in Israel. But kind of the last gasp of some of the illusions by well meaning people who are being taken advantage of by not well many people about international organizations quote international law unquote. You know, what the UN was doing in Gaza that's been uncovered kind of speaks for itself in that regard, and it's it has to do with national will and things that you could do. And you know, you mentioned going after Iran, and I don't think that though it's on the spectrum of things you can do, there's a lot of non kinetic things that we could do against Iran. And you know, you also alluded to something I've been real proud of us in the fourteen years plus that we've been doing mid Rats that we talk about policy, not politics, and we do our best to keep politics out of it, as we should. But people are policy and people are appointed by politicians that are elected. So it's it's tangentially arranged that. And the people that we have making our national security decisions right now are the same people that were with during the Obama administration, and they do have, if not a pro Iranian lean review, a non confrontational and excessive optimism about what could be had with the Iranian regime. I think if the if we didn't have the present regime we had in Iran, as we happened before the Mola's got charge of Iran, we all get along great here. I grew up with the kids of Iranian refugees, and one of the largest Iranian cities in the country is Los Angeles. They're they're finding, they're great people. It's just the government the policy they're pursuing. And you also have to face the fact there's people who've heard me here and and have read my stuff over the years. Knows I'm not an interventionist, piny stretch of the imagination, but there are some things that if not us, who And when you talk about the free flow of market goods across the sea, lions of communications, the open seas, the free seas, the safe sees. If not the US Navy, people will look towards the Royal Navy. And the Royal Navy and the United Kingdom have been for well over eighty years the give or taken incident or two have been our best and most reliable allies. We work best with them. But there is a graphic that made the rounds this week that, as I pulled the thread on. Its pretty accurate and I'll post it in the show notes afterwards. It's how most of our naval fleet is out of action. It's for the Royal Navy's major warships, of its attack submarines, and it does active or inactive, which I think from rib operational or non operational.
Speaker 2: Of their.
Speaker 1: Five astute and one remaining Trafogar class submarine, the Trafalgar class, the HMS Triumphs, she's coming back from a deployment and the newest I believe it's the newest astute class, the ants, and she's still in posts production trials, So they have none of their submarines that are are ready to really deployed anywhere. Both of their aircraft carriers are fine, they're construction, they're lpds, they're ones in refit and ones inactive. Of their Type forty five guided missile destroyers, which are their most capable, you only have four of their six that are four of their six are inactive. And of their Type twenty three multipurpose frigates, you have ten of them, nine correction and only five of those nine are deployable. And it'd be interesting to see the US Navy's outlay of that, but we're better than that. So if something does come up, our most capable ally, the Royal Navy, is simply not there, and our other allies, their navies are really really thin. Some news did come out this week the new Dutch government announced, in addition to bringing back their heavy armor they're bringing back they're going to order I think twenty or so new main battle tanks from Germany Leopard A two six is where it is, and they're also going to be building two additional of their multipurpose they call their ASW frigates, which would be good, but again it's not that large. So if it's not going to be us, who is it going to be, And it's not going to be them either, then we're going back to a situation where locally, the international community is just going to have to accept that we're going to lose free access to certain bodies of water, which we can do if Egypt, the local powers Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Iran decide that's what they want in the local waters. I guess that's their decision, but that's moving away from I don't know, Mark, when do you think it's a shame we don't have claud in the chat room he could answer this force. When did the Royal Navy really draw a line on the calendar and said we've got it? Was it right after the Napoleonic Wars, after the US Civil War? But whatever that line is in the eighteen hundreds, until very recently, somebody was guaranteed free access to the seas. And if the Red Sea is allowed to be uh a little ink blot across an important flock, when when is the next lock up gonna come?
Speaker 2: And where?
Speaker 3: Well? I think you know we've got The world has changed a lot since the Brits and the and the US Navy controlled all the sea lines of communication. And and one of those things that that people have been warning about for years, you see it in the in the.
Speaker 2: Fleet tactics books.
Speaker 3: You know that that one of the concerns has always been the anti ship missiles which have become commonplace now.
Speaker 2: And we saw this.
Speaker 3: We saw it when the has Bull of shot sympathy at the Israeli ships during one of their set tos. We've we saw it during the Gulf War when when we saw some and during the Tanker Wars when we saw the silk worms and other whatever the Iranian version of those things is and the Iraqi version. We saw those being fired. If it hadn't been for a written destroyer, I think one of the silkworms may have gotten through to I don't know what had done any damage, but I think that one of the battleships was targeted. You know this this these these Chinese missiles the sea eight oh two's, eight O one's whatever they are.
Speaker 2: You know, the pictures changed.
Speaker 3: And and now that that what we've seen in in in Ukraine and with the who thies is that these unmanned uh uh surface vessels uh with which are loaded with with explosives. You know, they're they're hard to stop unless you are really making the effort to do it. And and I think that that, you know, there has to be a sense of realism about about what has changed. You know, it was different from the days when the range of of a gun determined the three mile limit or the twelve mile limit that we we had for for our coastal waters. Because you know, the guns now and the and the missiles now are much more rain have much more range than those than those old canon did. And it's just one of those things to be aware of. Now, we keep spending a lot of money and effort trying to shoot these things out of the sky and at great cost to the taxpayers and at high risk to a lot of our people. Or we can do, as I have urged on some occasions, we could engage in a opptunity expedition to try and take out these hoothy things. But I don't know what the population is that's involved in Yemen, in the in the hoothy movement. But that would mean, you know, if we were to take the eighty second and the one oh one airborne and drop them in there and then have them fight, We're gonna have to sustain them. We're gonna have to provide the food, the AMMO, all the other stuff. And you know, we can do it because we're a great power. But it is a challenge to to mount that kind of attack. And you know, it's not one of those things where you're going to land the the Marine Corps landing force and the and the airborne guys and uh and get them in there and then sustain their operations. I just you know, we modern warfare is a lot more complicated than than when we drop the Marines off Tripoli and add them run to it in run around and help solve the the piracy crisis in the in that part of the Mediterranean. So you know, we can bomb them, we can we can shoot down their planes. But I go back to if you're going to really control the land, you have to put troops on the on the beach. If you're going to do that, then you really have to think of the consequences of putting them in that environment again, and and how long what's it going to take to support them, and what are the risks involved in that? So you know, somebody, somebody much higher up in the world than I will ever be, and and who's thinking about this stuff, is really trying to figure this out. And you know, and I think what I'm saying comports with what the former UH Task Force commander for that area talked about that you know that you can't just do it from the air, and we knew that from from Korea. You know that that you just can't go on this way and you can't, So what do you do? I mean my suggestion is that we just we if they want to, if they're content to do this, and people UH just get sick of it.
Speaker 2: The folks that's costing money.
Speaker 3: The Egyptians So by the way, I just noticed are canceling F sixteen or has been buying Chinese jets instead of US jets.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, they're the people who who who are are suffering from this because they're they're losing revenue, they're losing billions of dollars. And you know that's not one of the world's wealthiest countries anyway, but you know it, I would think would it would be incumbent on some of the local nations to to partake in the activities and not just leave this to the US forces. And that's not to say we can't bring true groups into Saudi Arabia. You could do a desert storm, I guess if you wanted to. But you know, this country of Yemen is not exactly the fold to gap it is. You know, there's a lot of bad terrain, a lot of bad conditions for troops to operate in, and you know, the sustatement is going to be an issue because then you're gonna have to bring goods around Africa and or in through the Indo Pacific region to resupply them wherever the troops start out from. So I think that's the challenge. I think that's the risk. And somebody's weighing these and at least right now saying and I think somebody said it in the in the in the chat room that I don't think anything's going to happen in the next next sixty days. Now. You know, if we had capable lateral literal combat ships instead of the ones we have, you know, those, that's about the right things to bring in there. I would bring Mark five boats and to you know, challenge these unmanned armed you know, you us vs and and work on that. But you know, otherwise, you know, you just get in a place where the situations have changed over the years and this is a lot more complicated than it used to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the interesting thing about Egypt is for those that know, they're archaic Egyptian history history at least in our lifetime and plus a little bit. I mean, they've they have they've been involved in northern Yemen before they even use chemical weapons there back in the nineteen sixties. And that's their hesitancy is is I think multi layer to want to do anything there. And occasionally you'll still see people say what about you know, UAE and Egypt. Well, they were fighting the Hoho Thies until a few years ago when people in the US decided to h tut them to death. And I think we've talked about it before. Fou was the Saudis and the Emiratis, I would be yeah, yeah, it's kind of tough. It's a shame that y'all made us stop fighting them because they were trying to get them on the ground. It's a tough answer. I think you know, you touched on it, and the Israelis gave a little hint. You just got to you've got to bomb them. And there's also the fact that in the hoothy controlled areas, there's a lot of international aid that's going in there that's paid for the America by the American taxpayers, either directly or indirectly. And you know, we didn't let grain shipments into Imperial Japan during the Second World War, but we haven't declared war on Yemen either. So it's a tough nut. But I think the longer term implications of everybody doing nothing, it's probably not too good. And a lot of that in action may just be the assumption, well, America will do something. Well, I don't know if that's an accurate assumption anymore, for a whole host of reasons. And not only is there nothing is going to be done in the next sixty days, I think regardless of what happens in the next election, I've seen no indications that there's any desire to do something else. So it may just be a situation that's gonna have to work itself out, just like Sue has canal was closed for years, and maybe this would just be a situation where until you have the right set of circumstances and things are right that that it will just have to be something everybody will have to deal with and we can still have goods flow around. It's just gonna cost more money. And that's just just the nature of the decisions.
Speaker 2: People have made.
Speaker 1: And I noticed in the chat room and we said we would listen to stuff where people were interested in and Riggs mentioned about the relief of the CEO of the USS, john S McCain. Only thing I'll say about that is I've seen spotty reporting the last thirty six hours or so because some people thought because he was a few months ago, it made it on dvids and everything a picture of him firing an M four I believe it was, and whoever his armor was, had installed the scope on backwards and he was still firing it as if it was a functional gun. People were saying, oh, he must have been relieved for that. No. I think what I've heard in the last thirty six hours is there was a condition with steering. It almost led to a collision during unrepped. I'll wait for more information on that because it's either an equipment issue. I've seen some reporting that it was a known equipment issue for those that recall the John McCain was involved in the incidents in the summer of twenty seven, part of which was related to steering and the interface thereof. I don't know if we're gonna have to wait for more information to come out.
Speaker 2: But yet he wasn't.
Speaker 1: Relieved because of the fact that he didn't know literally what end of the tube of the round came out of. But he's a skipper of a destroyer. It's not his fault. If he's been in the Navy eighteen years and the Navy hasn't taught him how to use him for, it's something else. So that that kind of made more sense to me why he had have been relieved. But we'll just have to wait for more information. The good thing is nobody pringed into the side of a replenishmentship because we don't have that many.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a One of the things we ought to talk about too, is that there are a whole bunch of things that the Congressional uh call themselves ok uh compity in the future of the Navy. Well, yeah, I mean one of the things I was talking about is getting these the navy. One of their reports talks about the Navy buying some more light oilers Navy light replenishment overs and uh, I don't know anybody's seen this, but it's a it's a report and it and it talks about what these things are going to do, and it is a a an important asset that we we should invest in. These are I think twelve new lighter ones. Are talking about two different kinds of of of oilers, ones a slower, more typical one and the other one some kind of fast servicing. Anyway, it's just it's just it's time and and and there's another report I think is which I saw. I was talking about the Chinese little a minute ago about there going north. It's embarrassing to say that the Chinese have put three ice breakers into the Arctic, and uh, we don't have. I think we're just getting one back on line after after the Polar Star, after some some service life extension program has finally been completed. But absolute it is a disgrace, and we've got to remember that once the Chinese start something, they view themselves what is the quote here, they view themselves as a near Arctic power. I don't know what a near Arctic power is. So they don't have any common border with the Arctic Ocean as far as I know, but it is a it is a challenge once they get once they get their nose under the tent, then uh, you know, we're going to see a lot of them up there. And we have some pretty u vital concerns in that area are easy as pretty large. We've got a huge oil resource up there in the prude On Bay and and uh, you know, things that countries that need that, the fisheries that are up there, there's all kinds of stuff that I would prefer them not to not to be messing around with. But if they can, if they can find a pinnacle to build an island on and suddenly to cleare themselves, you know, in a neutral area out there that is played by the Danes. Well, even I don't think they care, given their treatment of South China. See, you know, we'll see one of their islands out there and then they'll they'll be claiming that they are are they now have protection of the of the This is just China being China. But it's a it's annoying, and.
Speaker 1: It's a fundamental I mean, you and I first talked about this a decade ago on here. It had to be at least.
Speaker 2: It's just.
Speaker 1: It doesn't hold up to the following question unless you're only talking to the accountants. Why we have it been readily producing ice breakers and ice hardened vessels is And if people need a modern data point, fine, I'll provide them a modern data point. But you have such a critical facility. And again, even if national security isn't your interest, maybe it's environmental protection that's located up on the northern slope. And if you want to severely impact US production, look at what the Ukrainians are trying to do to the Russians. Impact their oil sector, impact their oil sector, impact their oil sector.
Speaker 2: So that's.
Speaker 1: That is something that you need to have a good ice breaker capability in order to be able to deal with and we don't have that. The Chinese are not an arctication nation, but watch what their intentions are. Their intention is to make themselves one.
Speaker 2: Here we are.
Speaker 1: One of our most important assets we have is Alaska, and we are an ourtic nation. And lo and behold, we are surrendering without a fight in many ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's a there's another Congressional Research Service puts out a lot of good stuff and they have a really good report I'll put a link up here to in a minute, but about the emergence of the new uh great power competition with with the Russians and Chinese. And you know, you can throw a couple of other countries into that if you want to. But the big, the big bad guys for us are the Russians and the Chinese. It you know, it talks about about our need to have a grand strategy. When you have a grand strategy, then that drives your force planning center, which means the number of ships you it need to have, the size of your military, and a lot of other things. You know, we we went from being able to have handle two major con contingencies and and have a little bit left over for some uh regional areas are we called back in the day, and now we're I don't think I don't know what we would have to do to even get one regional contingency under control. And uh it I think that that is it's really important American people understand how how important it is to have a strategy that says, this is what we stand for, this is what we're going to do, and we're not going to be bullied by either the Chinese or the or the Russians, and we're going to match them as we did back in the eighties. We're going to match them and exceed them so that they can't And we have trouble this with China, a pretty wealthy country all things considered. Uh, you know, they can't match our expansion and and our growth of our military. And it means that you know, we're we're if we're going to do the guns and butter routine again, sometimes you have to be guns and not just all butter and.
Speaker 1: Not even you know, being bullied is sometimes it's becomes self evident when they're there and you are not. You know, if we're getting close to a conflict with the People's Republic of China and off of the North Slope, you all of a sudden have two Chinese.
Speaker 2: Icebreakers.
Speaker 1: You're just hanging out there and get on the phone and say where's in there is us ice breaker?
Speaker 2: Say about two weeks away.
Speaker 1: You know, play that out for.
Speaker 2: A little bit. It wouldn't be the first time.
Speaker 1: At D plus zero, a ship or two is a sacrifice for a greater mission.
Speaker 2: We've done it ourselves.
Speaker 1: It's you don't need to be Tom Clancy to play these things out, and we are. We've We've surrendered large parts for reasons again that have to be explained up the chain, and a lot of it just has to do with thinking. For instance, I'm with you. I love the idea having the the smaller oilers out there, simply because it plays in to one of my hobby horses, which is everybody likes talking about distributed lethality.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about distributed risk.
Speaker 1: It's great to have these big, beautiful replenishment ships. They're really efficient. They can do a lot, and they can transfer a lot, and like I can see salas the other Seal has joined us live and you know, we talked to him about, you know, the tremendous work that the replenishment ships did in the course of the last year to keep the Eisenhower and the I forget which which Marine and Expeditionary Group was in the Eastern met anyway, one of those come out of commission, you've got a problem. But if you have three or four smaller ships and one of them gets dropped out of commission, you're working harder, but you can still make mission. You don't have to pull back from the front because you can no longer supply. Plus that gives us the ability to maybe utilize reserve assets and in a more effective way. And if you're looking west at the International date Line in the Pacific, not only are the distance is huge, but the difference between the different distances you have to go. If you've got to go northeast of Taiwan to do something that's equally important to something that is due east of Papua New Guinea, that's a huge bit of distance that you're going to need multiple ships to be able to cover. And you also had a system that we did during World War Two where you had your most capable replenishment ships forward, but as opposed to them having to return to a major port to top off, they would have lack of a better phrase, you might know that the technical term shuttle tankers that could bring up top off those tankers that are serving the four deployed ships, and they would go off and it just made more efficient having those numbers. You have the ability to do that, but that requires somebody to be able to counter the accountants brief because if you the accountant gets up there with a spreadsheet, he's going to tell you that's not very efficient, and you have to have the Like in many things, you have to have the effectiveness argument, and nowadays yours have to argue with them. Okay, you're seven hundred short siv mars right now, where are you going to get the other five hundred? You need to have your your cute little toy tankers running around. That's a hard question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's like a lot of other things. There's another report that Congressional Research Service put out. It's a very brief thing, but it's talking about the replicator approach, which is the initiative that we're supposed to have low costs attributable at triatable.
Speaker 2: Systems to.
Speaker 3: Provide a lot of distraction, but a lot of things for the other the bad guys to worry.
Speaker 2: And it is a.
Speaker 3: The magic in that is that apparently you don't have to provide fuel for these things. You don't have to worry, you know, if you have enough of them, you just you send them out there and then they run out fuel, they sank or whatever they do. C mind, are supposed to turn themselves off in a certain period of time according to international law. So you know, it's it's designed to swarm you at the navy right now, is you know, looking at funding this stuff and it is it's an issue about how many actual ships man ships do you need, how many of these smaller unmanned units do you need? How do you control them? I mean, you know it is, but that's the magic. We're gonna We're going to deal with the size of the Chinese Navy apparently by having lots and lots of these swarming replicator uncrewed systems out there, and they're going to do all kinds of wonderful things from intelligence collection too, uh you know, I guess taking out the opposing forces. It's going to be really interesting to see how this works, because uh, you know, we're seeing some of it work in the in the Black Sea, we're seeing some of it work in the Red Sea, which are pretty much contained bodies of waters and not all that uh uh you know, not like the Pacific where you get some pretty rough conditions. So it'd be interesting to see how they would work in the Strait of Taiwan and and some of those other areas where things are not quite as smooth as they were in the in those in those Black Sea areas.
Speaker 1: You know, one thing is speaking of of dealing with unmanned systems that's kind of broken above the background noise later that I thought it would, so I was maybe too optimistically pessimistic before with unmanned systems. Of course, the one of the weakest links besides having autonomous engineering capable ability have he good navigation, et cetera, et cetera, has been what traditionally, uh, the the Russians were thought to be very good at, and they're getting good at again, is electronic warfare. It's gotten to the point in Ukraine that they're developing they no longer have the reliable access to electric magnetic spectrum many areas, so they're they're bringing back as opposed to copper wire, they're using fiber optics, so they're basically pulling a pulling a fiber optic cable behind their drones, which takes out the electronic warfare, but it makes it much more difficult to counter these these systems because you can't jam them, which means you can't do a soft kill. You can't do a soft kill, you gotta do a hard kill. Uh. There are other technologies out there that if the app the spirits allow, you also can get around jamming. Though I maybe maybe it has and it just hasn't broken out of the the skiff yet, but it's not really practical. But wire guidance is making a comeback. And know something off of Taiwan. You know, if you're expecting to to counter hundreds of ships coming from west to east cost Taiwan's traits by a bunch of drones circa twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: In Ukraine, the Chinese.
Speaker 1: Are paying attention and if if you can make their navigation and terminal guidance, if the at sea, you've got to have again risk risk mitigation. Okay, what's your what's your backup weapons plan. There's no magic means, as Tom Shugart likes to say, but that interesting development because of the logistics production and the cost of having to shift your drones from electromagnetic control I mean control via electromagnetic spectrum to fiber optic guidance. That just brings out all sorts of interesting questions, most of which in a lot of the static lines, it's like a spider web after a while with all the fiber octic cable laying all over the place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've always assumed that the better approach would be some kind of laser guidance for some of these things. But even then you're gonna have you know, on a cloudy day, you're gonna have a rough time, I guess unless you know, I don't remember which lasers can cut through some of that stuff.
Speaker 2: But you know, it's this is this is.
Speaker 3: Modern warfare, as I was talking about earlier, with things have changed, it's no longer been able to send your here. You know, we always worried about submarines, and we worried the destroyers came about because of the the fast torpedo boat that they were meant to go out and challenge and uh, you know, you just get you get caught up in some of the stuff. And it sounds really fantastic if it if it works, but you're you're running a fairly high risk if if a third of your force becomes unmanned, fairly large unmanned vessels, unless they're being used in connection with things like you know, we talked about this before, where you have.
Speaker 2: A d d G.
Speaker 3: He's got three or four unmanned uh missile barges with him that he can connect to and and fire those missiles too. I mean, that's that's that makes perfect sense to me. And that that, you know, again an idea of stolen from the the Honor Harrington system, you know that that approach auto work and and we've got the technology to do that. But I I you know again, I'm it's not that I'm against a lot of small little things out there containing carrying something which can do damage to somebody, But I question if you want to rely a whole lot on that, because you know, there are ways to feed them. And we've seen picture images at least from the Red Sea of people on board that the some of the ships have been attacked, you know, taking a machine gun and shooting away with those things until the unman surface things, until they blow up, and that you know that that does work. It's not elegant, but it is. It is a solution.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And one of those things is not just what we would like to see, but what we already have being repurposed. And I saw this weekend something that may be grin I'll I'll admit my initial reaction was how could I be starky towards the army? But then another one of my personalities started talking in my head and said, no, no, no, no, no, no no, this is exactly what you like to see. Be nice, keep reading, and that had to be The US Army has asked Japan for the next six months to deploy, and it's great to see they're actually deployed, and I find out a few details I didn't know. Mid range capability missile launchers that they're calling the Typhoon, which is great to see somebody actually calling a weapon system a name and not an acronym. So Bravozulu to the army. That is what you and I think we've talked about maybe once or twice in passing here. That is the basically quad packed Mark forty one VLS cell on the back of a tractor trailer, the trize tractor trailer, you know what those things look like.
Speaker 2: That that means and it's designed to.
Speaker 1: Keep to carry either TEA lamb or s M six which has a real sexy anti surface capability for those that know. So basically, each tractor trailer has four Mark forty one VLS cells with whatever mix of Tea, lambs and s and six as they have. Now the army has bought four batteries of these. Each battery has four launchers on it, so each battery has sixteen missiles, so you have a total you know, sixteen times four sixty four VLS cells. Just for comparison purposes, a flight two at two Alpha or a flight three hourly Burt has ninety six VLS cells and a spruance has sixty one VLS cells. So that's Claude's dog.
Speaker 2: We can hear everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Claude also got one of my guests, Leeks, so hold on for a second.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: Well Claude exited. All you had to do was mute Claude. You'd have to exit anyway live live radio. Well, I thought by fault for sitting in the wrong link out everybody, and that's okay. We're all one big happy family here at mid Rats. So basically the Army has bought if a spru if the old spruances it had the vlsls, they had sixty one vlsls which were fun to play with during Desert Fox. They've bought three cells, more than a spruance. But you can take those batteries and you can spread them around where you can't spread around the VLS cells in a spruance or Harley Burke, well, we don't have any spruance anymore, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So you've distributed a risk there.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're on land and there's a limited number of roads you can send them on. But if you're looking at complicating the targeting by the People's of Republic of China the Army with their Typhoon missile system, I kind of like it.
Speaker 2: I wonder if the Marines.
Speaker 1: Have looked at or if it's probably too heavy for him. I think it needs a C seventeen to move around our ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the the Iranians had something like that. They think they had some seetle ones or it was on the back of some of their trucks that they're experimenting with. And that was a long time ago, so I'm not too surprised that somebody isn't. We've got these m l r S things which the High Mars, you know, whichever one that that the Army Ukrainians are using to great success. And you know, those are not complicated weapons in the in the sense that you don't have to worry about terminal terminal guidance at all, but you better be pretty accurate as where you think you're shooting them. And you know, we we we talked to Wayne Hughes about this a long time ago. You know, the Navy keeps insisting on building bigger, better, more heavily armed ships rather than UH and which you know, as he pointed out, just mean you've got more worries that if you lose one of those ships, because they're supposed to do a lot of things anti submarined, anti aircraft, anti surface warfare and UH and now land attack. So uh you know, having more many more mobile platforms that can launch systems and and eased on on the larger ships.
Speaker 2: Is important.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: You know, that's not to say that.
Speaker 3: New there is a new d d X plan which would allow for outfitting them with the uh, the energy weapons that we all keep waiting directed to our weapons we all keep hoping for, and we've hoped for since I think I first started reading Flash Gordon about eight eighty million years ago. You know, we want that, we want those systems. We want them to be very successful in knocking things down out of the air and in the water, and uh, you know we've been. You know, it takes a lot of power. Then then it's time to bring back the nuclear powered cruisers and destroyers and looks really gen these things up to be the protective systems they're meant to be and allow smaller, heavily armed VLS type ships out there to go out and really do some damage on land based stuff while they have the protection of a larger ship nearby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the more the merrier, I think. You know, Brian McGrath once was talking about what does he want for Christmas or something like that. It's like VLS sells, the BLS sells VLS cells and that really and that is also one of the lessons from the Russia Ukrainian War that we've seen is you just need to have more launchers with greater range, and then you have to look at what your enemy can do. Yeah, electronic warfare is one of the big lessons, but you also have to look you look at Sevastopol. Sebastopol from Odessa is just one hundred and sixty two nautical mile and you know the for a few centuries, it's always been said, don't put your bases under the reach of your enemy's artillery. And if your cruise missiles and ballistic missiles are a branch of artillery, then they've seen that in spades, uh and s. Best of all, even and my, my Slavic friends will just have to tolerate my inability to pronounce any Russian word with more than two syllables. But their backup base on the other side of Crimea, across the curse straight on Novurshka Novo Rushka. However, however, you house that it's a little bit further away, two hundred and ninety two nautical miles from Odessa, but especially if you have any any ability to get a weapon in the air or from the sea, that's way too close. So the Russians have had to learn they've got to back their bases off more and more Ukraine. Obviously they can't they can't back up anywhere from where they are, so that the importance of range in both defense and offense has really come up to the four And it's nice to see the Army and at least the Navy has appreciated the problem more of needing to have those additional VLS cells to carry weapons available, but.
Speaker 2: Where you put them and.
Speaker 1: How you build them, that's another factor when you look at what we're producing, what we can have out there in the next you know, five, five to ten years. But you can carry a lot on aircraft. But again, I haven't seen the other shoe drop, and I saw where the last week the US Air Force their next generation fighter there. For whatever reason, I guess the perfect is winning out over the good again they've gone back to the drawing board. So who knows if when we'll ever see that next airborne platform On the Navy side of the house, I haven't seen an update recently that the guys in Navira keeping a pretty good.
Speaker 2: Little on it. I don't know if if.
Speaker 1: You've seen or anybody in the chat room is seeing some information on the Navy's latest offering in the air because the first thing I'm going to look at is going to be range.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think that's important. I think Andy Wong in the in the chat room has been been talking about mine warfare something else to remember. I mean, the B fifty two's a lot of the strategic bombers can deliver minds that would be a serious problem that in the Taiwan's traits to any any force attempting to make an amphibious assault. I don't but the water depths aretain issues. So you know, it really depends on the capabilities of the systems we can we can use. If we went to mine warfare, and we've talked about mind warfare, it is you know, it's another one of those unsexy but really really important to parts of the of the Naval service that gets ignored until you you have to clear a field of them, and then you then you have to think real.
Speaker 1: Hard if people of whenever somebody brings up unmanned systems, and the one thing I tell them that I always get excited about is you're talking about the you know, the large unmanned subsurface capable units that look like little midget submarine so to speak. My take has always been make those mind layers, because if you know that, that's different than a lot of the other real complicated missions. If you have good navigations and good engineering, you can rig those up to lay minds. Now you have my attention. How you're going to transport them from point A to point b.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of nice already in production auxiliaries that could boy carry out a whole bunch of them forward. But that's that's one thing. When it comes to unmanned systems going into mind warfare, it really gets my attention because is everybody body knows is you blow up one ship and you deter the entire strike group. Mine sit there and they wait, and the minute their presence is known, even if they don't wind up damaging a ship, everything comes to a full stop because next to a submarine in the middle of your of your group, knowing that you're in a mine field, that's that's terrorized sailors for a couple of couple of centuries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's a it's anyways, the perfect weapons system that I have always assumed without knowing for sure that those large uh u on us what is it large unmanned subsurface vehicles are the u l U u vs. I think we got to find a better thing to call them. Yeah, I always thought that that was there, that was one of their mission areas, just an assumption of my part. But you know again, it's it's uh, there's all world of stuff out there that has probably classified. We even if we knew about it, we could talk about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I just time flies when you're talking with fun friends.
Speaker 2: Just Robs coming on the top. They are.
Speaker 1: One last thing that I wanted to talk about is I don't know how how many other people have seen these little breadcrumbs lying around. But we talked for a little bit. You mentioned earlier, we really didn't dive into it much. You mentioned that the same thing that I saw in my scan this weekend that Egypt. I don't know if it's their first or maybe it's their largest, but they had, you know, the equivalent of the Paris Air Show. They had that in Egypt, and the People's Republic of China had a very big presence there. They were showing off their Y twenty transport, which is roughly two thirds of the C seventeen. Maybe it's close to the European A four hundred and its airlift capability and their J ten fighter that they put out as being an F teen equivalent. Who knows, they had a pretty big presence there.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: They also announced that the chief of the Egyptian Air Force will be headed to Beijing soon. Be interesting to see if there's an announcement there or he's just going there for the fine dining with a succulent Chinese meal in Beijing, But we'll just have to find out what that's going to happen. And then you had Turkey, which sadly every year fades further into shadow, announcing that they wanted to lead a great Muslim opposition to Israel, with not shockingly involving most of the former Ottoman Empire. So you have the Eastern Mediterranean at the top and the bottom, and of course Syria is what it is and Lebanon is what it is. That whole area east of Crete has never been the most secure place in the world, but you can almost you could almost draw a scenario out circa twenty thirty four or so that the Eastern Mediterranean becomes is less of a friendly place that we've seen since you know, you were off the coast of Vietnam many moons. That would be an unfortunate development, especially for our European friends, even if we fixed the problem in the Red Sea.
Speaker 2: At the I think between what they're do looking at in China.
Speaker 1: And what we seen that they were doing in Gaza. For those who have been following the argument of why Israel does not want to leave what's called the Philadelphia or Philadelphia Corridor, which is basically the border between Egypt and Gaza that has a huge, huge it's to keep people from getting out of Gaza, but underneath it's these huge truck sized tunnels that were being used to smuggle in weapons pre October seventh and after October seventh coming from Egypt. The hope that a lot of people had. I saw one person say that if the Chinese, if the Chinese succeed in becoming the primary supplier to Egypt, that is pretty much the end of the Camp David era. That would be It's a pretty bold statement, but we've seen stranger things. But I think that whole Eastern Mediterranean area already gets a lot of attention. But I think it's going to be a very interesting decade between the trends that we're seeing in Egypt and Turkey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the world. The world continues to change and people who were once allies may not be quite as strong an ally as we once had, and that's the way it goes. We have used up an hour of everybody's time, and we could probably go on for several more hours, but uh, I think we we've exhausted me and I don't know everybody else.
Speaker 2: It's exhausting.
Speaker 3: There is there is so much going on in the world, and we need to keep getting good guests in here to talk about it. I appreciate everybody who joined us today, and Andy, thank you for your mind warfare of stuff because that taking a look at your article looks pretty interesting. We need to get we need to get people thinking about that stuff.
Speaker 1: We sure to do and speaking a great guest. Next week we still need to confirm it, but we should have Toshi Yoshihara on, which was uh just one of the one of the best thinkers.
Speaker 2: That we we have available on China.
Speaker 1: Uh. For those that have been with us for a long time, No, We've had Toshi on many times in the past, so we're really looking forward to that. And for those that are still with us. I haven't. I haven't made this ultra call in a while, but we appreciate those that join us live and also get to us on the pot cast. And if you're all the way through here, that means you're a fan of mid Rats. If you haven't already, go over to iTunes, Spotify, spreaker, wherever you are, and go ahead and give us a five star and give us a nice review, not a four star, not a three store. Give us a five star review. Not that we have tender egos that each stroking, but if there are other people that are interested in getting podcasts that cover national security issues, the way the logarithms work is the nicer reviews, and the more reviews you have, the more you show up in the search, so other people will find us and I have an opportunity to enjoy mid Rats as much as you do. So thank you very much everybody for joining us for another edition of mid Rats. And until next time, I hope everybody has a great Navy day.
Speaker 2: Cheers.
Speaker 4: My lonely want to marry me and leave a friend of becdily for you being to blame more LOLLI love me sill faulting your the Tame.
Speaker 5: It's a long way to Dipperary. It's a long way. It's a long way to dipper Army, to be Queen.
Speaker 4: Gor b becdi farewell left, not twell.
Speaker 5: It's a long long way to Dipperate. But my life, my