Speaker 1: You're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: You know this is my one year anniversary on the show, huh is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Oh, that's right. You started at the beginning of last year.
Speaker 4: I've known you for so long, we've been friends for so long.
Speaker 3: I didn't even.
Speaker 4: Notice it, and we're like old shoes. It even occurred to me that this was one year.
Speaker 5: So what can the two of you take from the relationship you share and apply to your marriages so that they're more successful in the future.
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: No, sex you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now handle on the news. Ladies and gentlemen. Here's Bill Handle.
Speaker 4: KFI AM six forty Bill Handle here, good morning. It is a Tuesday morning, January the seventh, and I guess now it's not well into the new year yet, but we're getting there. Michael Monks still filling in. I assume for the ailing Amy King.
Speaker 3: Do we know what's wrong with Amy at any point?
Speaker 5: I think for hippo reasons, I'm not allowed to say I have nothing to.
Speaker 3: Do with hip. It's just a pure gossip.
Speaker 5: Okay, then you know what. I can't make the jokes you make, although they do come to me. Wow, she's got a nasty cold. Wow, And that's the truth.
Speaker 4: Is it one of those things where she needs antibiotics, if you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 5: But I dare say that she she had some you know, something that hit her, not hit her physically, but like she caught whatever was going around, and it's impacted her voice. So she's I don't think she feels too bad, but she doesn't sound too good.
Speaker 4: So my life has always been an open book on this show. It always has, you know, for example, you know when I was ill, For example, when I caught the crabs and I was negotiating with you know, the lobster house down the.
Speaker 3: Street, it was I shared it. I told everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it sounds like you shared it too much.
Speaker 4: Ub All right, and good morning, Hello, Michael, Good morning, Neil, Good morning there, Wolf, Hey, bub boy, did you strike a chord yesterday?
Speaker 6: A lot of congratulations going out to you, Barrett Media putting you number one in the top twenty morning news talk radio shows in the country, and all kinds of the brass was sending out all kinds of emails and everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want to point something out about that, because I I've received a fair share of awards, and I'm not going to do the Oh shucks, you know fingers.
Speaker 2: Are on the Hollywood Walk of Fairs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, self, But let me give you a reality check on this stuff.
Speaker 3: And don't misunderstand I. I think I'm good.
Speaker 4: I've been doing this for you know, so many years. Oh hi, Cono, finally got you. We just got you on the on the monitor. So I've been doing this for so many years. I hope I'm pretty good at it thirty one years in the morning. So I'll give myself some credit for being competent, being good. But let me tell you about these awards. The awards that are not about how good I am. It's how bad everybody else is. Oh right, That's what this industry is about. It's, for example, rich is not how much money you have. Rich is how little money your your friends and family have, which is why I hang around with poor people because it makes me feel better.
Speaker 2: Is he talking about us, Neil?
Speaker 3: Yes, I know you work for iHeartMedia. How long you've been working for iHeart? Michael.
Speaker 5: I rejoined iHeart in February after previously working for them as my first job twenty years ago in Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Have you noticed your pay didn't go up.
Speaker 2: Well, I've had recent conversations about that.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, and they agreed that your pay hadn't gone up.
Speaker 2: I think, as my attorney, can you help me out here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he hasn't gone up. Bustled off, it's illegal.
Speaker 3: Congratulations a few extra hours. Anyways, thank you. That was kind of a nice accolade. Uh it was.
Speaker 4: It was kind of neat, you know, so I I will you accept that with undo with actually no humiliating, no humility, humility.
Speaker 2: Humility, humility, humiliation.
Speaker 3: But it's not humility. It's not humiliation.
Speaker 4: You do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not humiliation. Okay, it's and I appreciate that. It's great. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so as soon as I got congratulations, I mean up and down the corporate structure, you know, Corvino and uh, I mean people I don't have, don't have no idea who they are, and so big congratulations number one in the country talk and no, and I immediately I immediately called, uh, the management and said, hey, uh, this is a big deal. They go, yes, it is. Does that mean I get more money? And they said to Michael, and see what goes on on that level. So there's the answer.
Speaker 2: No Handle.
Speaker 6: Once came to me and said, I at a party, I had the most fascinating and probably the longest conversation I've ever had with somebody. I said, Bill, that was a mirror you were talking to You were talking about yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I look at the mirror and go, they really like me? Yeah, don't they?
Speaker 2: All Right, it's nice, and I can't wait.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: It is nice, and I do appreciate it. It's it is kind of neat.
Speaker 4: Okay, enough of how great Handle is. Let me I'll let's you talk about how great I am.
Speaker 3: You guys ready to do it? Not that, but the news on.
Speaker 4: Oh one other question, real quick, I'm still saying Happy New Year to people.
Speaker 3: When does that end legally when it's no longer Happy New Year? I don't know when that date is.
Speaker 5: I think today is the seventh, right, So we have now had seven days into the new year. I think this is also the last day to get your resolutions going if you haven't started yet. So if you say it tomorrow, it's a misdemeanor. You say it next week, it's a felony.
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: So today is the last day, according to Michael, last day of Happy New Year.
Speaker 6: I used to try and push it, and I've gotten it into March before somebody said something, no joke. I used to just see, I let you the world is my playground, and I would just see how long I could do it. And I've gotten into March before someone said he you know what.
Speaker 2: Stop.
Speaker 3: All right, let's do it guys.
Speaker 4: We have tons of news to talk about today, so it's time for handle on the news.
Speaker 3: Michael Monks, Neil Savedra and me lead story all right.
Speaker 4: Yesterday January sixth, in a really interesting ironic bit of history, exactly four days to the day that the attack on the capital happened, having to do with a certification of Joe Biden as president and the non certification of Donald Trump. Yesterday, Kamala Harris certified our newly elected president number forty seven. Donald Jay Trump announced the electoral vote, announced that he has won, shook hands with Mike Johnson, who was up on the podium. It was in front of Congress, and she may it's the last formal bit of business that has.
Speaker 3: To be done before the inauguration, and she had.
Speaker 4: Said walking in trans peaceful transfer of power.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of mention at.
Speaker 4: Least alluded to January six, four years ago, and it's like it didn't happen in the Republican Party.
Speaker 3: It's like fours years ago didn't happen at all. It's gone. Now we were back to a peaceful transfer of power.
Speaker 4: Biden said that, Kamala Harris said that, the various commentators said that the pundits.
Speaker 3: And now we move on to a very interesting four years.
Speaker 4: I mean, outside of policy differences, outside of what you think of Donald Trump or you don't think of Donald Trump, just the entertainment value of the next four years is going to be tremendous.
Speaker 5: I can tell you Donald Trump would love to be honored by Barrett Media. He does love those litt accolades, no matter how big, no matter how small. And there is somebody else who would like to have the job after President Trump, and that would be our Governor Gavin Newsom. And so he's announced this new budget, three hundred and twenty two billion dollar proposal that has no deficit. This is after a couple of years of significant budget shortfalls here in California. But the one that Newsom announced yesterday is basically one that says we're fiscally responsible here in California. So whether this is an accurate or honest policy proposal or just one that positions Newsome for the national stage.
Speaker 2: Further, I we'll have.
Speaker 4: To see by law, California has to have a balanced budget. By law constitution, you can't go into the next.
Speaker 3: Year without a balanced budget.
Speaker 4: Now, a balanced budget can be obtained by borrowing money, but that is money that is coming in on the book. So there is no deficit where there is an official balance. By jet, I mean, you know, we borrow, borrowborrow like crazy, although we've been paying it back strangely enough, Well, California is a weird state in terms of its revenues. I mean, it's just an aberrational state. And then before we take a break, I think one of the campaign promises that are going to be made one of the platforms is Newsom is going to say you think Donald Trump uses hairspray. Well, hey, you've got a new president on your hands. I know how to use hairspray.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, President elect Donald Trump. Maybe you've heard of him. Kind of a big deal.
Speaker 6: I guess his former co defendants in the Florida Classified Documents case launched an effort just yesterday to block the at least the final report. Of course, this report was by special counsel Jack Smith. Also addressed the election interference case. Both cases against Trump have been dismissed, but his Trump his lawyers coming out said the final report promises to be one side. It's lanted, blah blah blah, that type of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is he gonna believe it?
Speaker 4: Well, if you get the judge to block it, and then he becomes president, then he orders the report never to be released. We'll see what happens. Last few days. You have the sentencing of him for the document case. It's gonna be a lot. No, not the document case, the sentencing for paying off Stormy Daniels to have her shut up about the stoop stoop shut up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but that's not what it's about. That's not illegal to pay someone off. It's oh, it is.
Speaker 4: If you're talking about an election, if you're talking about to influent influence an election, you bet it's illegal. That's under influence on an election. You can't pay that doesn't work that way. And it was and it was, by the way, and it was also basically lying on business forms. Is wait, you're right, it's not illegal technically. The actual crime, the actual crime was lying on his business forms as Michael Cohen's uh a, Michael Cohen's fees, as legal fees, as legal business fees, business costs. And his defense was and I thought it was a good defense. I thought he was going to win on this one. In my case, when I pay off pornos stars to shut up, that is a legitimate business expense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, don't they normally normally don't they normally pay you to not talk about having touched them?
Speaker 3: Okay, let's move on. I was a little complicated, but you're right, Neil.
Speaker 4: It is not illegal to pay off somebody to shut up. That's that's done all the time. It's called the NDAs. But you can't lie about defensives.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, speaking of unpleasant burning sensations, we've got a serious situation folding here in the Southland today and the National Weather Service here in la is not mincing words. They're saying the words like destructive, life threatening and widespread. They're saying that the threat from these Santa Ana winds, the dry conditions and the fire potential is not just in the areas where there are typical prone you know, prone to fires. Areas typically prone to fires, is what I'm trying to say. There, it might be other areas. So everyone in the Southland is basically being asked to pay close attention today because this is a situation that is very volatile and could get out of control very quickly with one little ember.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a gusts of eighty to one hundred miles per hour. That's category two hurricane they say, over one hundred in the foothills in the mountain. That is category two maybe three, category three hurricane level winds. And as you can imagine, if there is a fire that starts, there is no fighting a fire.
Speaker 3: Like that at all.
Speaker 4: You can't even you can't even outrun that fire, much less attempt to put it out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we'll have a we'll just be burning for a while if something breaks out, because they won't be able to attack it from the air.
Speaker 2: You won't have those hand crews down on the ground. What they do, none of it.
Speaker 3: It's just gonna they're gonna have to be straight right.
Speaker 4: The Malibu fire, the only reason the Malibu fire stopped is the ocean.
Speaker 3: That was dead.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a it's a pretty insane map, and I heard Michael talking about it on wake Up Call this morning.
Speaker 2: But that map was like, if.
Speaker 6: You're in this area, start screaming for Antiam. All right, Rudy Giuliani back in the news, God bless him. Federal judge just yesterday held Rudy Giuliani in contempt for failing to turn over information to two former Georgia election workers. You remember he was it was said that he defamed them after the twenty twenty presidential election. They're still trying to collect that one hundred and fifty million dollars in damages, which is insane. But these things he's not turning. He's not turning over.
Speaker 4: He turned over some of his assets and not a lot of them and coming up with crazy ass excuses.
Speaker 3: I forgot.
Speaker 4: At one point there was when he was talking about how the election I had been stolen and he was arguing that fraud happens, and there was a hearing. You know, there were sixty three hearings over the election, of which the Trump forces lost every single one, and Juliani was testifying because he was the attorney record on one of these cases. And he stood up in front of the court and said, I your honor. I have proof that this that fraud happened in this election, and it was I think it was Georgia or some other state. And the judge said, okay, mister Giuliani, would you please present the proof. I'm willing to listen to it. I haven't my hotel room. I forgot to bring it. Honest to God, this is what happened. So the judge calls a recess. Okay, well wait, why don't you go to your hotel, mister Giuliani and bring back the proof? Comes back, I misplaced it. The judge laid into him. Here he's saying the same thing. For example, the Mercedes that he owned, this really very valuable vintage Mercedes, he turned it over, but he didn't turn over title. Why is that, mister Giuliani, I misplaced the title. I mean it is crazy. I mean the judge helped him in contempt. I mean he's gonna spend a few days in jail for this. And a word about Giuliani before I leave, before we take a break. And that is, as I've said before, I know someone who knows someone is very close to someone who is insanely close to Juliani. So this is secondhand, but it's my source. I will swear is absolute. There's no issue with that. And I asked, is Juliani really this crazy? And he told me he is crazier than that. Here is a guy who has lost everything. He's lost his license to practice, he has lost every ability to pay off practice law. His career in broadcasting has disappeared. The guy is going to be destitute. And he's still a true believer.
Speaker 3: Do you have pre is still a true believer?
Speaker 4: And was asked, is this worthwhile? And he said, yes, yes it was. I how does someone that bright guy was on the cover of Time magazine for God's sake.
Speaker 2: After nine to eleven America's mayor.
Speaker 4: He was America's mayor. He was one of the most respected people in the United States.
Speaker 3: I go, how is that? You don't explain to me how that happened? Because he drank the kool aid.
Speaker 2: Now he's America's mar mar like a mar on something like.
Speaker 3: You got it? Got it?
Speaker 4: Okay, fair enough, Well I'm bad, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I just I'm usually I'm used to audience. But that's that was good. I'll dumb it down.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're coming back. Hey, this just in by the.
Speaker 6: Way, I got my buddy Greg just hit me up and I'm looking at live footage. Uh, it wasn't even on the radar that I saw. It is dumping snow and Big Bear right now dumping. I didn't see that. I didn't see that.
Speaker 3: And Big Bear is where you have your place, right.
Speaker 6: I'm looking from the cameras of my place right now, it is dumping.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, okay.
Speaker 5: We had this pretty terrible earthquake that hit parts of western China to Bet and Nepal. Was a seven point one magnitude. It's killed more than one hundred people there and injured nearly two hundred. About three thousand houses damaged, and they felt tremors all over that part of the world. What struck me was that this was a seven point one magnitude, which is not that much different than the one that was in northern California off the coast, which gives an indication of that they can have been a little closer to the shore even on land.
Speaker 4: No, we have it's because we have building codes. If you go to Tibet, if you look at their houses. You ever been to the beach where the kids make sand castles in Tibet.
Speaker 3: No here, southern California.
Speaker 4: You go to Santa Monica and they're those kids making sand castles.
Speaker 3: That's how they make the homes in Tibet.
Speaker 2: Oh I hadn't realized.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's why it goes down.
Speaker 4: So when you have the you know, in the outskirts in Turkey someplace, and down goes the entire village.
Speaker 3: And everybody dies.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for the lesson.
Speaker 4: Okay, By the way, an earthquake over there here, you know when trucks rumble past the studio and you get that little shaking, Yeah, that will destroy entire villages and that part of the world.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sorry to hear that, especially for them. Their sensitivity is amazing.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: No, you want to move on to Neil, Yeah I think so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, yeah, let's let's move on to American babies are dying.
Speaker 3: Okay, what do you think of that?
Speaker 6: This one blew me away that there's even do you know this is about toxic lead in baby food? And I will tell you my understanding is zero is the only safe amount of lead that you should have in your body? Yes, food and vestry still safe levels, yep. But well I guess set the maximum levels for lead in baby food like jarred fruits, vegetables, you know, yogurt, dry cereal, all that they want to cut young kids exposure to toxic metals in this one, in this case lead specifically. So they're dropping it in baby food by twenty to thirty percent, which floors me that they're there's enough in there that they still want to drop it by twenty or thirty percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now we're talking.
Speaker 6: About microscopic levels here, I get it, but there is there is literally no I know, it was crazy.
Speaker 3: A certain amount of well, a certain amount of everything is in everything.
Speaker 4: Well, yes, you buy a coke a coke can, there's x percentage of rat crap in the can, which, by the way, is why it tastes better than diet PEPSI diet coke.
Speaker 3: I just want to point that out.
Speaker 2: It's the rat crap.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so the amount of diet coke you consume, that means you're probably at least sixty percent rat crap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 4: Anyway, you're right any any amount, And it's really it is troubling when you say it's there's too much in there when there should be zero in there.
Speaker 2: I mean there's there's arsenic in everything.
Speaker 5: I mean, we've gotten weak, right, I mean didn't they used to eat like a best Doze for breakfast. That was a popular cereal back in the thirties. Yeah, they were actually called asbestos. Very good, Very good, all right, more tragedy here on handle on the news.
Speaker 2: We've heard a lot about bird flu recently.
Speaker 5: We've seen the price of eggs skyrocket here in California because of it, and it has killed a lot of animals, housecats. Well, now it's killed a person, and it happened in Louisiana.
Speaker 2: Bill.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you feel the same way about people from the South as you do about people from Tibet, but this is a pretty serious development in the bird flu situation. This was confirmed by that state's Department of Public Health this week. The first in the US to die from bird flu. He was over sixty five and was said to have underlying medical conditions. A.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I was talking to a friend of mine who happens to be in visiting from Toronto, Canada, and she was mentioning, does this mean we're looking at another pandemic?
Speaker 3: No, No, it's still very hard.
Speaker 4: One person died at this point and it was over six he I think it was a he over sixty five underlying conditions, probably respiratory conditions and ended up dying.
Speaker 3: That was the first.
Speaker 4: Also, oh, bird flocks, he had like pet chickens in the backyard that he would do tricks with.
Speaker 3: Or he was blind and had a seeing eye chicken. I have no idea what that's about. But anyway, you have to have a combination all of that. Uh, you're not going to get it.
Speaker 4: And if you do get bird flu, there's it's probably not even symptomatic.
Speaker 3: So relax.
Speaker 4: I would not eat chicken at Kentucky Fried Chicken for a while.
Speaker 3: That I wouldn't say.
Speaker 2: That has nothing to do with it. Oh that that's not how it's going to happen.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I misread it. Then, all right, phar enough.
Speaker 6: Read anything you're writing. You're reading things that you wrote on your hand.
Speaker 3: Why do we take a break?
Speaker 6: Could I tell you though, how how we all found out about that story and the guy dying?
Speaker 2: His family tweeted it? Really that's is that a bird joke? That's good?
Speaker 3: You're you're very strong.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but he's seeing he's no, here's the problem.
Speaker 3: His family exed it. Okay, that's the problem. That's the proper verb.
Speaker 4: Now see that's the problem.
Speaker 6: Ok yeah, Okay, it didn't crow key good to be Disney get in a fight. It's like, you know what, We're just gonna buy you sports streaming service Fubu Fubo rather tv Inc. It was set to be merged with Walt Disney Co. Uh and their Hulu Live TV service. They've been going back and forth. This agreement ends the New York based Fubo's legal action against Venue Sports. They had this I guess they were going back and forth and saying that Disney was going to create a streaming company originally with some other partners that you know. I think it was Fox Corp, Warner Brothers, Discovery that will put together another sports channel of sorts, and they were pushback as it would become a sports cartel. The anti trust US anti trust laws of course would have been involved. And this looks like a deal that makes everybody happy.
Speaker 4: Do you know what KFI was once owned by Disney was it was ABC owned the radio group, and Disney bought ABC and they sold it off because Disney and our version of radio didn't meld it so well together.
Speaker 2: Hey, when was that? Oh, by the way, Cap Cities, it was Cap Cities.
Speaker 6: What I could see the winds coming in right now, by the way outside my window, coming in right now.
Speaker 2: We usually don't get them this strum. But when was that, Oh.
Speaker 4: I don't know how many years ago when Capital Cities owned the Radio Group and then it sold Disney. But the point and Disney unloaded a lot of it because it just didn't the two formats didn't work. Someone pointed out, for example, let's say Disney buys a company that buys a company that owns company that does.
Speaker 3: Let's say, porno distribution, and it's hugely successful.
Speaker 4: Uh, they're not going to keep it. You know, I don't care how successful it is. That's exactly what happened, not to that extent obviously with us, but uh, it's it looks like, well, ESPN is.
Speaker 3: Owned by Disney. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think that was during that weird juggling time where we were purchased and sold.
Speaker 3: That was over a weekend, by the way, that was over eight weekend.
Speaker 4: We were bought and sold that closed on a Friday and sold on a Sunday to someone else.
Speaker 3: Let's move on that's that's inside baseball.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 5: So we've talked a bit about what President Biden has done in recent days. He's here in California doing another last minute addition to executive orders or different public policy that he can maneuver now in his final days, related to the Chuckwalla National Monument. But he's also just recently banned the offshore oil drilling. He's done some other things, and it's upset President elect Trump, who says that President Biden is doing everything possible to make the transition difficult. So I'm wondering, Bill, do you think that this is a more difficult transition than what Trump did to Biden last time?
Speaker 4: I know, I think overrunning the Capitol, attacking it, undoing an election.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a little bit more of a problem.
Speaker 4: But it's really interesting the transition because the actual transition, even the new chief of staff of Trump says it's a smooth transition transition.
Speaker 3: Everything the Biden.
Speaker 4: Administration is making it easy for the new Trump administration to actually start working the White House. Here are the phones here, the computers here, where's the bathroom down the hall?
Speaker 3: That sort of thing. But policy Biden is doing.
Speaker 4: Everything to screw up the transition of the new president, passing bills establishing various programs that are going to be fairly difficult to undo. And the first thing that President Trump is going to do, an addition to pardoning everybody in January sixth and a few other things, deporting everybody in the United States.
Speaker 3: It's illegal.
Speaker 4: Is undo what Biden is doing or try to undo. So it's both true and not true in terms of the transition.
Speaker 2: All right, let's you.
Speaker 4: Know when, oh, when George Bush left the White House and Obama took over, a lot of Bush's staff removed the w's from the computer keyboards.
Speaker 2: Oh, is that true?
Speaker 3: I think it is. I think it is.
Speaker 4: I think I know it's an urban myth, but I think that is true. I think that did happen. Obviously, it was just there. You know, it wasn't to screw them up, but it was a it was an f You sure.
Speaker 2: Which do you think is worse?
Speaker 6: Conservatives is saying that it was a peaceful protest on January sixth, or liberals, Oh, it was.
Speaker 4: Bill when Bill kilt I'm sorry, when Bill Clinton took the White House go ahead?
Speaker 6: Which is what are when liberals say that, you know, looting and start fires is a peaceful protest.
Speaker 3: Both terrible, it's terrible.
Speaker 4: But you see, usually you don't see presidents saying that looting is you don't think.
Speaker 6: You don't think that the White House came out and said it was a peaceful protest when there was looting in Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: This is how you get to be number one in Barrett media. I don't remember that endemic era debates.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I will and Derek Way pretty panda, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: I will see this, and I want to make it clear I think January sixth was horrific and one of the biggest scars on Yeah.
Speaker 4: I know, it's okay. Let's you know, you're right, we're talking old history.
Speaker 3: You know. When we come back, I want to.
Speaker 4: Talk about the uh, the various aspects of the Lindbergh baby kidnapping and murder.
Speaker 3: Not that we're that's by the way, I'm not going to do that. I just thought i'd bring that up.
Speaker 2: Current headlines, Yes, current headlines.
Speaker 3: Hey, you know what, the baby is dead.
Speaker 4: This is k IAM six forty more stimulating talk radio. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show Catch my show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.