Speaker 1: Streamy Live. I mean, iHeartRadio WAPP. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. Jay is no longer.
Speaker 3: My co host.
Speaker 2: I got my Quinn today. Quinn and I'm going to change that sound on that intro, right, I guess exactly. But we have Henry gonna be with breaking news right now.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball breaking News on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Reggie Bush has filed a lawsuit against usc the PAC twelve, and NCAA for seeing compensation against his name, image, and likeness during his time at USC.
Speaker 4: Oh not enough to get back to heisman. Yeah, but then he got it back everything. Yeah, but it's not enough enough to your back. It's I gotta get the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Back, right. So it's it's it's not that it's funny, because it's gonna happen a lot. I think Jackson, Terry and AJ Bramer doing the same thing here, trying to get there, you know, when they won the title, to get back some compensation. I don't know how I don't know how schools are going to survive this, Like no, because there's not enough money. No, that's the thing about it.
Speaker 4: It's like going, you want to, you want to how much Reggie would Reggie Bush have gotten if Reggie Bush could have just gotten everything.
Speaker 2: I mean, look how much he got.
Speaker 4: It's like I was going to say that, Yeah, you're we we've absolutely we've opened up Pandora's box.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is. It is over there and not just a little peak.
Speaker 4: It's wide open, right yeah, I mean it's just we started a little bit and it's just was he can't go, can't go all over.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about this real quick. So we're talking about Ernie Army when you first got here and talk about they do not get n I L money and your coach says, let's go after the best players or better players. Right. Isn't that a kind of a contradiction because you can get the better players, they're gonna want to get paid.
Speaker 4: Right, they are going to want to get paid. It's like how much do you know, how much do I get from this?
Speaker 2: So and the ones that do really well for Navy Army, uh year, guess what they're gonna do go play, they're going to bolt.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a couple that have entered the transfer portal, and I don't know if how many have been picked up. Like I said, there was there was a guy that Tyler Robinson that was really really good, had a great year, uh hit the transfer portal. But everyone was like, you know, yeah, we don't need an undersized, fast fat guy, fast guy.
Speaker 2: We uh, or we don't need a fat ty We don't need a fat guy either. You know if they did, I'd be cleaning up on nil money. They uh.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's you know, I'll tell you it's it is going to be an interesting thing. You You had a thing the other day about talking about like, you know, where where does this go? You know when we when we talked about the donating five thousand dollars to Arizona and you know how much money and all this all this crazy money in it again, it's gonna stop when people have had enough. Yep, Okay, when people have finally sat there and said, wait a minute, I'm paying all this money afford a state. I'm paying all this money and this is what I'm getting. That guy with the guy to Auburn where people were asking for money back on Venmo. Oh really, I didn't see that. Oh yeah, it's like going he had he had his little QR code and it's like going hit me on venmo. And now people are asking for the money back on Venmo.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, there's going to get come a time when enough's enough. So this is the conversation you and I had privately at your house. Yeah, we talked about so. And I don't know if you guys know this because we talked about this maybe too. When are the kids getting paid? When? At what point in their season are they getting paid? Yeah, it's pretty soon. If it's pretty soon, and they're not performing to the money that they're getting, aren't you concerned? Yeah? Well that's the thing about it. And in what world and what world besides pro maybe do you live in where you go to work and then when you get paid before you do the work right?
Speaker 4: Well, and that's the thing about it. It's what they're doing here, you know, And you know it's happened a lot of places. I mean Caitlin Clark for example. It's like when people were saying you're stupid for not spending another year at Iowa because you're gonna be making three times the money. Yeah, And that's the thing about it now, it's like college sports is. And you know, the thing is, it's not guys like you, well you don't have any money to donate. It's not guys like me who have a little money to don't it. It's guys that are the billionaires. You know, Phil Night, Phil Night up in Oregon sat there and handed them a credit card and said, go get me a championship. Yeah, you know, I mean it's it's it's those billionaires that are that are really going to be the issue.
Speaker 3: Sure, there are two Monday night football games tonight. We have the Jaguars at Bills at four point thirty and the Bengals at Commanders at five point fifteen.
Speaker 2: So the second one is a yawner to me, at least it seems like a Yonner. And the first game is what the Bills, who are kind of good against the Jaguars and they haven't done anything with their quarterback, right, I think there's zero two right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And where's that game at in Buffalo? And Buffalo so you.
Speaker 4: Know, yeah, it's gonna be Tarrel Lawrence has got to you know, they had a you know, great couple of games. But you know Gate coup of games last year and everyone thought, Okay, here we go, we're finally gonna see somebody that can play. And it's like he hasn't really shown up.
Speaker 2: Because you follow it, Henry and both of you guys, actually, do you think that teams should play their rookie quarterbacks by the.
Speaker 3: Way, before this year, I would say yes. After this year, I would probably say it's sent them for two to three weeks.
Speaker 2: And early, so sit them until they're ready. Yeah, sometimes people are just wait, wait for the year Atlanta.
Speaker 3: I mean that worked with Mahomes, Yeah.
Speaker 2: In Atlanta. With Pennix, maybe let's see what happens. Worked with Mahomes, worked with Rogers, and I think it's every individual case. But still, I mean, let them, let them their twenty.
Speaker 5: Two three years.
Speaker 3: I mean a lot of it is just the system that you're in.
Speaker 2: That's true. That's true.
Speaker 3: They're always going to bad.
Speaker 4: The thing is, yeah, that's the thing about it. I mean it there and you look Caleb Williams. Okay, here's a guy that is in a you know, went to a really bad team, you know, because they got the first pick.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: He jumps into a system, has no time to get ready. That dude would really benefit by having a year to just learn the system. But he's getting paid too much money to see, right, that's the issue. Well, there's a book, and I've said this to Jay a few times called Sway Uh. You you pay Michael Jordan a million tons of million dollars back in the day, millions and millions of dollars. You want to see a result from paying them this money, whether he's any good or not necessary because you want to make sure that your decisions.
Speaker 2: I'm picking the guy who's worth it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in the Secret swim Hey, listen, I tell you I'm starting to get a bad vibe here. You keep mentioning Jay. I mean it's like going, it's like dating, and all you talk about is your ex.
Speaker 2: I mean, what are we? What are we doing here? I mean, am I in or am I out here? Well, I'll talk about it out to the date.
Speaker 3: A breakup?
Speaker 2: Just no, he's submitted old time. The date's not over. You gotta pay the mill to pick up the bill. Yeah, I had to co sponsor the show. Get on. In fact, I'll do what I do. I got I'll be back. I got to get the restaurant. You'll never see me again exactly.
Speaker 3: Memphis, UTSA, Twulane, and USF have all publicly committed to staying in the AAC Conference and will not join the pack Tour.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, Yeah, it's gonna be Who's Who's gonna New Mexico. Who's who's left? Maybe Mexico. It's just gonna be a team that the league that you've seen many grow up right in New Mexico.
Speaker 4: A Mountain West, Yeah, with a different lane. It's gonna be the Mountain West just kind of pushed over.
Speaker 2: A little bit. Oh you know what I call that lipstick on a pig. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, you know. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe they get better because they're in the in the Pac twelve. Maybe they know you start recruiting better just because the name changed. I should change my name to Jim Smith.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: We'll see this thing about a lot of schools, a lot of schools. For example, Army they decided they're gonna start playing teams in Texas because they want to recruit in Texas. So now what you're doing is you're gonna see these teams that are gonna be playing a lot more games, big games, you know out on the on the West coast, on the West coast, maybe they recruit better, they get more exposure. I mean, how many people know about Wyoming?
Speaker 2: Many? Yeah? People, I mean I.
Speaker 4: Bet you there's not a lot of people that can even point to it as a state, right, let let alone a United Republicans Republicans, Yes, exactly. The but yeah, it'll be it'll be interesting. It'll be interesting. Air Force, as matter of fact, just put out a statement that it's like, hey, you know, we're considering all our options. It'll be interesting to see where air Force goes.
Speaker 3: So then those teams are Memphis, Tulane, Memphis, two Lane, uts A, and USF.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so obviously there's there's still some teams. But yeah, but so those aren't the those aren't. I don't think those were the prime candidates for them to move over.
Speaker 2: Right, So there's none on's left really, there's true, you know, just you know, lipskin a pig changed the name and you know, hey, come and join us. That is what it is. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The WNBA playoffs started yesterday. The Liberty beat the Dream in Game one, Sun beat the Fever, Links beat the Mercury, and the aces beat the storm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by the way, you went to go see the Mercury right, Yes, we saw. I saw your photo on Facebook. I'm thinking, what are you doing there?
Speaker 4: But for a reason, Dan Trossi, you know one, I remember watching her play when I was you know, when she was at Yukon. And and my daughter who is out on the East Coach now, she loves Diana Trossi, and so we were there for Danny Trosi bibblehead night. We show up there. It's like the first twenty five fans. We showed up three hours before game time and no two and a half hours for a game time, and there must have been five thousand people there.
Speaker 2: Oh it was crazy.
Speaker 4: Uh but uh place was jammed, completely jammed, and it was a total blowout. Mercury got blown out from the very beginning and nobody left.
Speaker 2: Place was packed. The playoffs they were doing. They were just holding out to the playoffs. Yeah yeah, but uh it was more than likely her final uh regular season game could have been her last home game too.
Speaker 3: Okay, the Grizzlies waived former m v P Derek Rose earlier today, m HM say one time the Grizzlies wave former MVP Derek Rose earlier today.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, you're still playing.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, there is a guy who could have been one of the absolute greades, I mean, definitely Hall of Fame bound, but then got injured and then it was just like, well you're you're you're not going to do that then, yeah, which is which is really unfortunate. When he was when he was young and playing with the bulls man, Oh my goodness, that dude was really really good.
Speaker 2: Right right, Well, I think you start seeing that because obviously you have the incoming classes and then the guys who have been there forever.
Speaker 4: Who are you going to find room? Yeah, you've got a clear space. Yeah, someone's got to bounce out the top. Like I said, he would have been.
Speaker 2: It's an unfortunate one of those one of those unfortunate injury riddled careers that could have been, could have been something different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I just saw this now I think it was from earlier, but Gonzaga is joining the PAC twelve and twenty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just saw.
Speaker 3: They still need two more football teams to stay alive past twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Right, because they're they're basketball, Yeah exactly, which is good. I guess that'll that'd be that'd be good for them.
Speaker 3: They're going to be a good basketball.
Speaker 2: Conference, sure, oh yeah, yeah, kind of maybe.
Speaker 3: San Diego State they have had good teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they're not going to be able to be the team that they were. Yeah, which it's just gonna help them. It's not an Arizona Conference. Now that they're in the Big twelve. You might get your butt kicked a few more times, right, but they prepare you for March. Whether that helps or not, Yeah, well it helps you or not?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can go through, go through a season twenty nine to two and then you show up in first round and you lose.
Speaker 2: Yeah that we've seen that before.
Speaker 4: But the you know, hopefully, yeah, hopefully there's a there's a different level of toughness that we run into.
Speaker 2: And hey, there's only one negative dude in this room. Yeah, you don't take over that role. I got to be the positive. You gotta be the voice of reason. Yeah, I don't know. Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 3: Forty nine Ers running back Kristen Caffery is seeing a specialist in Germany recarding his Achilles tenant.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, they and they did they did well without them. I mean, they should have never lost that game, right, right, and they did well. They got their running back I mean, can't remember the name of the guys.
Speaker 3: Jordan Mason.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that dude is really doing all the other kids. The kids know exactly, they know everything. But he's playing great, you know, I mean, not much of a of a letdown there though, you know it' stuff to replace Christmas.
Speaker 2: The concern is is.
Speaker 4: That he goes out there and tries to run on this thing and snaps it and then yeah, once you do that, then especially as a running back, Oh my goodness, who's your team?
Speaker 2: No, Dolphins, Dolphins? The Jets are you know? Oh I hate the Jets. Rogers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well they've beaten a couple of nobody's but you know they've you know, Rogers is out there, you know, playing with him and he's like trying to show them that they can win. But tell you what, that first game he showed them, like exactly what the Jets, what the Jets are, So we.
Speaker 2: Know what what's the Dennis Green thing? Yeah, yeah, we do what they are. We know what they are. Okay, that's all I got. So you got okay, we got a we got about a minute or so. Yeah, okay, you have anything there, senor just on the top of your head. No, all right, we'll see what happens this weekend. We're gonna get Michael Love here on the show. Let's just kind of go. We about four minutes of commercials, so let's do that. Let's go to commercial. You get Michael Love and talk about what his thoughts are on the football game this weekend and beyond. Yeah, absolutely good.
Speaker 6: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchener bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 3: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 6: Wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your love. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five zero for zero, zero for two, three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 7: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 8: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the lead manage and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 9: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your company's giveaways. Keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit the Creative Awards Idea center at two twenty eight West Drackman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards.
Speaker 10: As at Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine to fort two Equal housing Opportunity, How to commitment to lindrixy in credit rates and available loan programs or something to change the unumice Did.
Speaker 11: You know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two, tops Mickey Mantles SO for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie SO for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's Showtime Cards.
Speaker 2: Ready to save but not sure where to begin?
Speaker 12: Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way.
Speaker 2: Save five hundred dollars.
Speaker 12: Over six months as a member and you could win big. Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more.
Speaker 2: Visit Pyramid FCU.
Speaker 12: Dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 3: That really insured and CUA.
Speaker 13: Got bugs, termites, fees or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. US can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: So in your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Rock can help you? He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling at home of Danny Roth at five to two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the excess at all It's Steve Rivera and Jakin Salvez. This is I on the ball on Fox Sports fourteenth.
Speaker 2: They Hey, welcome back to the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera co host Michael Quinn. Now on the phone. We have Michael leb from The Daily Star. How are you, Mike?
Speaker 5: Hey, guys, how's it going.
Speaker 2: We're doing well? Good, hoping you're doing well. You ready for another big week of football at Juve?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 5: Yeah, except that it's another road game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, basically will go like a month between home games almost Why but it feels that.
Speaker 2: Way right right? Are you gonna Are you gonna be making this road trip?
Speaker 5: I am not.
Speaker 7: You're not only in My colleague Justin Spears will be in Salt Lake City on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yes. How big of a you know, I think I means just said, how big of a game is it for Arizona? Even four games in?
Speaker 5: I think it's very.
Speaker 7: Important that they play well and that they are competitive in this game. I don't think it's they must win by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, you know, when you kind of looked over the entire schedule, this is one of those games that you probably puddled in as a loss. But there's a lot of doubt out there right now, you know this new coaching staff has not earned the trust and faith of the fan base. That Friday night performance against Kansas State was discouraging in a lot of ways. So this team kind of has something to prove in that regard. So I think that's why it's important. It's to show that Arizona truly does deserve to be talked about.
Speaker 5: As one of the operational on teams in the Big Twelve this year.
Speaker 2: Right, And you've been here long enough now to know the fan base and to know how up in arms they were, even after the Saturday game when Arizona did not play, but Kansas State played and didn't look good against b YU.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's kind of weird that.
Speaker 7: That that was the reaction to Kansas State losing, Like, oh man, this makes Arizona look even worse.
Speaker 5: I don't really get that. I think what it what it actually.
Speaker 7: Demonstrates is that it is very difficult to win on the road in college football, especially when you go to a place like BYU, which has a rabid fan base and it's kind of the only game going at that particular time, which was exactly the case with the Kansas State game.
Speaker 5: Manhattan. It's tough.
Speaker 7: And if the you know, people debate whether momentum exists in sports or not. I think really it's more like sort of psychological emotional shifts during the course of the game. And if you watch that Kansasdate BYU game, that game shifted in a big way when they started to turn the ball over at the end of the first half and Kansas Date could never get its footing again. That can happen to you when you go on the road. Utah is not an unfamiliar location for Arizona. I mean, you know what you're gonna get from them, even though it's the quote unquote first Big twelve game is a very familiar opponent of familiar style of play.
Speaker 5: I think that'll help at least a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Michael, the thanks for having on first off the But you talk about the faith and trust of the fan base. I think you know, if you if you have a lot of faith and trust, you look at that game as like, hey, anybody can get beat. If you have no faith in trust, you sit there and say, God, we're gonna get crushed now. So so much like you, like you just said, but I get a I get a question about you've been here for a while, You've seen a lot of coaching changes.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: They all talk about, you know, faith and trust in this system. Uh you get Uh when when Jed Fish get got here started out slow, it's like, Hey, the players got to have faith and trust in the system and then they're gonna they're gonna pick it up. Is that what we're seeing now or is this kind of they've already got that or does not that not matter?
Speaker 7: Well, when you're talking about the players themselves, you know there, you like to have that certain level of buy in, and it was very dicey. The first year under Jed Fish there was a lot of criticism from the outside about his play calling. Magically, when he got better players the next year, his play calling improved a lot.
Speaker 5: I think the difference between.
Speaker 7: What was going on then though, and what's going on now is that Jedfish had a very specific plan in mind. He was going to call the plays. He's going to bring in his offensive system, Okay, and this is what it's going to be. This is how we're going to do things. He did, you know, make some tweaks over the course of time, a little bit more shotgun, maybe a little bit less understand, but it was his system that he learned from his NFL base for the most part. With Bret Brennan, he made a decision to bring in Dino Babers to be his offensive coordinator, somebody that he worked with a long time ago here at Arizona. And this offense is kind of an amalgam, you know, a hybrid of what they were doing in San Jose State and what Deno Babers has done over the years at Syracuse and other places that he's worked.
Speaker 5: And I think part of the problem is, like what is it right?
Speaker 7: Like what is the identity of this offense at this point besides getting the ball to Tetuo McMillan as many times as possible, which you know is fine. You want to get team at the ball, but there has to be more to it that to it than that. There have to be more dimensions. So I think they're kind of working through that, and Brent Brennan alluded to that today that that's one of the things you do during a bye week, is that kind of self examination, go through all the plays, you know, maybe figure out what's working, what's not, what do we need to change, and we will see on Saturday, if the offense looks any different than it did the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question. I'm assuming you went to today's press commerson with Brennan. Did you ask him a question? And if you did, what was it?
Speaker 7: I did not go I am still on the tail end of COVID situation going on over here, so I'm just like keeping a little profile. I did watch on wotube and there's nothing really revelatory.
Speaker 5: I didn't think, but yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: No, I was gonna say, so, what was the question that kind of said, Hey, that's a pretty good question, and not that I would have asked it, but he must have some concerns both sides of the ball. What would they be? So if he couldn't answer that question, what are your biggest concerns on each side of the ball?
Speaker 7: Okay, well, I would say on offense, offensive line continuity. They've not had that so far. They had completely different starting lineup in week two. They were to put together their Week one group again for week three. But you know, I don't know how much time that group had to practice together. I think left tackle rhino top of toe tie was probably not one hundred for the Kansas State game, and I think in retrospect it might have been a wiser to have held him out and given him more time to recover from his lower leg injury. That's issue number one in offense. The other issue to me is that the offense just lacks.
Speaker 5: Timing and rhythm. You just everything looks slow.
Speaker 7: No Ifafeata is holding the ball almost half more than half a second longer on average than he did last season, which to me says that he is not seeing the picture clearly when he drops back to pass, or that he doesn't have the outlets that he had last year.
Speaker 5: You know, losing Jacob Cowing, losing Tanne McLachlin.
Speaker 7: I mean, these are both NFL draft picks, very good players, very difficult to replace. Defensively, I think they've actually played pretty decently since maybe the first half of the New Mexico game. And the issue that they've had consistently from Week one and week three mobile quarterback containing the mobile quarterback, They have not executed their assignments, they have.
Speaker 5: Not executed the game plan. They have allowed two mobile quarterbacks to run all over them, and they cannot allow that to happen again against anyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yikes. I mean.
Speaker 4: I think that's what you does. Yes, it doesn't bode well. It's interesting you mentioned that about THEFITA. It's like going because you know, standing up in the you know, in the stands, you know, way deep. It's like that's kind of the thing that I've noticed he through with seemed that he threw with more confidence.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Is that a lack of familiarity in the new offense.
Speaker 7: I think that's part of it, you know all they tried to sort of incorporate some elements of last year's offense. But you know, these things they time, they really do, especially when you're the quarterback. Just the more you rep it, the more you rep it, the more you become comfortable with it. The other element of it is there's really only one receiver that it seems like he truly trusts through and through.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's Pedero McMillan.
Speaker 7: We did see him get montanelimonious Craig involved a little bit more against Kanadas State.
Speaker 5: That's a good sign.
Speaker 7: Brent Brandon did talk about today, like the lack of tight end usage and all the reasons that could conceivably be behind that they threw to the tight end a lot at San Jose State, and they've got a bunch of really talented tight ends here at Arizona. I don't really understand why that hasn't been a bigger part of a game plan or bigger or part of the progressions that they're going through, because I think that could be a serious weapon and could open up a lot of things for other aspects of the offense.
Speaker 2: It's because Dino Bavers wasn't the offensive coordinator at San Jose State. That's what it could be.
Speaker 5: It really could be. I don't know. I'd love to be a fly on the wall and.
Speaker 2: Listening, right, Michael. We had a discussion about coaches before you came on maybe last hour, and I'm a firm believer that coaches matter. It just does. They just do. If you have a good one, you can see it. What do you What do you make of Brennan just his style and how he goes about his job.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean he's very still a California guy through and through.
Speaker 7: He's very laid back and he's that's kind of his style, you know, Like he's not one of those guys who's gonna get up in your face and yell at you. I don't know if if that in your face, you know, coaching style works anymore these days, you know, the way that society has evolved. I really liked how he handled the situation with with Timac and Noah Fafita, you know, just kind of like, hey, come into my office, let's just sit.
Speaker 5: Down and talk. Get to know me, you know, like I am.
Speaker 7: He did not give them like any sort of used car salesman spiel to get them to stay, and that works great. Like they stayed, and a bunch of other guys stayed, and they were able to keep most of the team together. Now the question is, you're you know, you're coaching at a higher level. You're not in the Mountain West anymore. You're in the Big twelve. Do you have the coaching chops during the week on game day to get the most out of what you have? I think he was a coach at San Jose State who did more with less. You know, sometimes it's maybe harder to do more with more, you know. So I think that's, you know, that remains to be seen at this point whether whether that's all gonna work. I think it was.
Speaker 5: I think it was the great hire and he was the right man for the job. I think that will be proved out over time.
Speaker 7: But you know, fans are impatient, and when you have the performances that you've had the last couple of weeks, you know, I understand why you know they're they're complaining the way they are.
Speaker 2: So we in the previous charge we talked about being a player's coach, and it sounds like he is, especially with the FAFIDA and mcmill uh keeping them here, which really was surprising. Uh.
Speaker 4: There's two guys that could have probably gone into the portal and they would have had a food fight over him, but he stayed. And so it's it's clear that tellum. But can a coach like that, uh kind of keep the day discipline on the team where you're not getting the personal foul penalties, you're not getting the uh pre snap penalties that they've got going on.
Speaker 2: Can we fix it?
Speaker 7: I mean obviously there, Yeah, there has to be an element of accountability, right right.
Speaker 5: You can't just like let guys do whatever they want.
Speaker 2: That's a great word, by the way, form that cakes I don't.
Speaker 7: Know, like to me, the best way to sort of to impose or impose that discipline is to take away playing time. Yeah, you know, like you want to commit a personal foul or unsportsman like conduct, you're just going to sit out for a quarter.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, And that's that's tough because.
Speaker 2: You need them, right, Do we have the depth? Do we have the depth to do that? Yeah? Yeah, And you need those kids.
Speaker 5: Yeah you do. But you also kind of have to send the message somehow.
Speaker 2: Right, you're right. It's great insights, great insights.
Speaker 7: Right, So I don't know what I don't know what form that takes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a tough one. I mean, Carrio Davis took himself.
Speaker 7: Out right the first game, right, but I think two un sportsman like penalties and his night was done. So maybe he learned his lesson from doing that. But yeah, I mean the penalties were a big deal, and there were different types of penalties and can't stay game, you know, it was like holding false start, but that one drive the game is still a seven point game was a total mess. Yeah, and a situation where they were I think they were across midfield or near midfield and then all of a sudden, it's first and twenty, it's first and thirty. It is really hard to get that to generate that rhythm that I was talking about before when you're in those situations behind the chain.
Speaker 2: So so you know, obviously I've been in the media here for a long long time, road stories for a number of years. I kind of don't do as much. You're on the you're in the front line. You go to practices and do that. I can't remember two things. I can't remember what you said they would maybe predict it with the wins eight nine, seven, the carry remember that one and two. Do you think that we we as the media, and I'll include myself there, gave a lot of not false hope to the to the fans, but sold them some goods that maybe that we should have been more tempered on because you know what, that's what the complaint is, Oh I bought the bought the kool aid or drank the kool aid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very very good question. I break did nine and three. If I had a do over, I might eight and four.
Speaker 7: That game against at the YU might be more difficult than a lot of people figured. Initially eight and four for Arizona and a vacuum would be considered a very successful season. When you're coming off a ten and three season, it might not be viewed the same way. I do think that we may have overestimated the team to a certain degree within the media based on the star power that they had coming back and not taking enough consideration into what they lost and how difficult it was to replace what they lost because they did not have the same access to the transfer portal that most everyone else in the country had. Right, all those coaching changes with Nick Saban and Kaalen de Boor and Jedfish and Brent Brennan happened in mid January. By that point, most of the best players are taken out of the portal and you the teams, you you know, the newcomers in the portal are from Alabama and Washington and San Jose State, and frankly, the Alabama and Washington players weren't going to.
Speaker 5: Come here, right, So, I think, you know, we.
Speaker 7: Don't talk about a lot about like defensive line and offensive line, but that's where games are won. That's where they suffered some key losses to either the draft or the portal, and it's really hard to replace those guys when you know you don't have the same access to players that most of.
Speaker 2: The other teams do, right, Right, No, no question, and then you still got to do your job right, Okay, Michael, get better quickly. We'll see what you have this week. Anything planned to look forward to.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm doing a news and views column coming up here, going to hit on multiple topics and then the usual have my cat stats and I love it on the field column, five takeaways from the game, report card, all the usual.
Speaker 5: Stuff for this Utah game.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, right, like your job depends on it. Thanks Michael, Thank you, great interview, Thank you very much. Thanks. Hey, let's take a break and get back, but about five minutes and then maybe take a call or two. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for newly forty years now. Take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Luton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 14: Hi, this is formal while get leman huntly with Arizona Health, imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 2: Space in your life.
Speaker 14: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 9: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial dad available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PIMA dot edus slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve Rivera here, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Lord Campbell, or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app just search I on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm still Steve Rivera. I'm still here. Yeah, I haven't been fired yet. You haven't been fired. And I got to change that intro because Jay's gone for those days. If you call me Jay, I'm out of here and live for dinner. Yeah, hereby you're buying, I'm going, I have no problem. There's next Mexican restaurant's just across street if you want to buy. Yeah, I'm sure this. Yeah yeah, no, I've eaten there. Have I taken you there? Yeah?
Speaker 7: You never?
Speaker 4: You just seem to show up when I tell you. I say, I'm at a restaurant. Yeah, I'm at this restaurant.
Speaker 2: I'm nearby. That happened to me in the area.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, yeah, thank you, thank you, bridge bag bridges, listen to this so you can't. You gotta be careful here. Thankfully that you guys go to nice places. We go to a nice place. Well, you gave him, but I take I take her to nice places. Yes, yes, dear Wait, why is River here again?
Speaker 2: Exactly? That is romantic for what happened to you? Are you buying him lunch again? Yes? Text right?
Speaker 4: Excuse me, exactly exactly. I just need your social security number. No, you're not getting it. Put on my text five. I'm ready to say it. Yeah, exactly, give you the phone N five too, oh, because to call in? How have we done today? It was my first co host.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what I'm gonna do, but I'm probably gonna have co hosts throughout my show here, maybe get the maybe Matten and these guys would be my partners some of the part part of the time. Okay, I thought love stuff was very entertaining, very insightful. Right. I do think that every every and you've you've been around the block a few places in the number of places local media doesn't go negative preseason because there's always hope. Yeah, there's always hope. You sell them a bag of goods, and not that you sell them a bag of goods. You tell the story and there's a lot of hope there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I okay, So, so I don't think this was a bag of goods by talking to hope this year and in this season. No, no, no, there was hope, but there was a lot of hope. There was real there was real hope. There was real anticipation about about goods. And there may be good stuff ahead of time.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: The reality of the situation is, whenever you have a coaching change like this, and I've talked about you said this all the time about buying end of the system, you get coaching change like this, it's like when you're not just going to pick up where you left off. And the point that Michael made was excellent about the nil. You know, we had the you know, the nil issue, not the nail, the transfer portal. We we just we didn't have access. We didn't jump in there. Sure times, sure, okay, all right, we have a call. Thanks for calling in to Eye of the Ball. Who is this, Hey, Premo, This is Donni. How you doing, Donny? How are you what you got going?
Speaker 2: Oh? Not too much.
Speaker 15: I got a couple of things you guys talked about last week. You were talking about NFL quarterbacks. Oh yeah, and we're you know, and you know, and I I've this one's I've been discussing for for years and years and going. How many quarterbacks are in the NFL? Thirty two teams? Yeah, sixty four. There's probably like eighty quarterbacks on contract. But how many NFL quarterbacks are in the NFL. And you talk about, you know, you talk about what the Panthers did Bryce Young this week and everything else. They're forcing these young guys that you know, seven on sevens where you get you know, a second and a half to try to you know, pick your throw. That's one thing. But when you got these big guys, you got the NFL guys where you know, you used to be able to run around people and run away from people. Now this big guy that's six seven and three hundred pounds is as fast as.
Speaker 2: You right right. We talked about this. Maybe that's why you're calling to We talked about the thirty two teams. Don't you think there's like maybe six or seven really good ones and then the rest are just kind of I mean.
Speaker 15: That's I think I was being you know, I was trying to stretch it to ten and I can't think of ten. I can't think of ten NFL quarterback and it's hard to think past one. Right Mahomes, well two mahomes and Lamar, what about Josh Allen Allen pay he hasn't.
Speaker 2: Won Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 15: He hasn't won anything, and he hasn't beaten anybody of substance.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing is you have championship games, AFC championship.
Speaker 15: No one you can tell I would say pretty is better, especially for the money, especially for the moneyscount the Uh what about uh what about these guys that are coming up now, like uh, Sam Darnold who's having a great year, turning it around after having played for bad teams. Now he's playing for a good team.
Speaker 2: And then and you got amazing.
Speaker 15: It's amazing when you give well, don't even start me with Carr because I'm a Raiders and that's my quarterback, right that's my quarterback right there.
Speaker 2: And the thing is is that guy played with a.
Speaker 15: Broken back, he's played with busted fingers, he's he's like missed.
Speaker 2: Minimal, minimal games.
Speaker 15: He got them to the playoffs, but he broke his leg and he couldn't play in the playoffs. And and Raider fans, a lot of Raider fans, they hate him because he couldn't win the whole thing. But the problem was was they didn't have a defense, or they didn't have a running game, or they didn't have you know, look at Dan Marino. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Here's here's another one. Here's another one.
Speaker 4: Not sure if you win a Super Bowl that that you know, you're a pretty decent quarterback except for like Neil O'Donnell and stuff like that, that that win.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Tren dilt for Trent dil for want of Super Bowl absolutely.
Speaker 10: And but the thing is is.
Speaker 15: John Elway didn't win one until he had a running game. And and you have to have a complete team to win, absolutely and that and it's funny, like you say about Sam Darnold, here's a guy that he's had experiences and not good ones. But now he's on a better team and he's doing well. And then, you know, here's the difference between yesterday the red rifle. Yeah, and Bryce Young. Bryce Young is inexperienced.
Speaker 2: He's too small. You know, He's got all the talent in the world.
Speaker 15: Nobody denies that, except that when you play quarterback at Alabama, you have all day to throw.
Speaker 2: You get to throw the ball fifty yards if you want, you.
Speaker 15: Know, on almost any play if you want, you know, And that's it's a very false sense of security. And then and then there's Herbert with the Chargers in college. He likes to throw it to the other team almost as much as he liked to throw it to the Ducks. And he's conteue and well, yeah it does, and said and so do the touchdowns. But I mean and and he's still doing that. And now this year, now that he's got Harball as a coach, they're going to be running more. They're going to have more of an emphasis on the defense. He guess what, he's going to get elevated because he's not going to have to play as much quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me ask you one quick thing, Donny. Uh, you don't have to wax too poetic on it. But Antonio Pierce when he got the job for your Raiders, Uh, were you okay with it? And I have just a quick philosophy on that. It's it's it's tough to hire the assistant principle when you need the principle. And I say that because a substitute teacher, because you know you're there, you kind of play hard for him and then you become the guy and then it kind of changes.
Speaker 15: I think Antonio Pierce was the makeup higher, like the like the makeup pass interference call when they didn't give the job to Bisaciam two years prior. So you happy with it before, Josh Allien, Uh?
Speaker 13: I was?
Speaker 2: I was indifferent. I'm indifferent.
Speaker 15: I mean, I mean he went out and he hired he hired the offensive coordinator from from the Bears.
Speaker 2: Now you're talking about.
Speaker 15: A horrible offense, granted they don't have I mean, I don't. They didn't have a quarterback, they didn't have a trigger man or anything. But he's he's proving that, dude, you deserve to be in Chicago. You know, that's not an offensive.
Speaker 2: Programming with the Bears.
Speaker 15: You know, it's like, you know, everybody's like Caleb is cursed going to the Bears if they get the right coaches. I mean, that kid, you know, he's got a chance to be really good.
Speaker 2: You know, hopefully he.
Speaker 15: Doesn't get beat up too much, loses confidence and then you know, you know, things happenings happened.
Speaker 4: That's what happened to Derek Carr's brother, David Carr. I mean, he went to Houston and they put him right in and then he just got his butt kicked every single game.
Speaker 15: And well you've got like the two the two most SAX seasons in his first two seasons. But you know, and what hurt him the most was he didn't get any concussions where he couldn't take weeks off.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for calling. I appreciate it. How's how's the show so far? How's the show so far? Just real quick? I think it's good, but with.
Speaker 15: The guest host, we end up spending so much time talking with guest hosts that you know, sometimes I don't want to call in because I don't want to break up the party. Okay, even though you know what I mean, the beer buddy. If if we get if we get a set thing going, then that's going to be good. But no, you'll be fine, Steve. You know, I don't want you to carry it all by yourself, but you'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you for figure it out. Thank you, don thank you ye people forget I did the show for three years by myself. Yeah right, yeah, exactly. It's not my first rodeo. I just my first different bull was he did something in your co host? There is talking no, no, no, you just don't want to just don't want to, you know, interrupt the party. And then you'll be back. I mean, I want you to come back for another day. And now I'll fill in the rest. We'll see what we do. You know, I just gotta find that right and make some guy girl kind of feedback we get from the from the from the people, from the people. Yeah, okay, anybody else want to call? We have a couple of well we have five minutes, maybe five minutes exactly five too, O four one six seventy four forty. Would love to hear from you guys, your thoughts on this this weekend. I'm gonna try to get the Zona Zoo people in because you know, we kind of ragged them, not kind of we did for years and now they're doing very well. Yeah, I mean it is.
Speaker 4: It seems to be a very different attitude and what they're doing very coordinate, very oord.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you you're part of it. You've been to both, right, What's what's going on? What's going on there? Is it just better?
Speaker 3: Seems good? I think. I think that's the main thing. Or you're just talking about the improved attendance, Yes, the biggest thing. Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: It's I guess you were hoping to see the excitement or electricity from Noah and Fafida and.
Speaker 3: They've they've always done giveaways at the game to try to get students to come.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 3: He isn't different. I think it's genuine because the team is good. That's why people are coming and that's why they're staying. Right, Winning, winning fixes exactly right. Well, yeah, they won the first two. We'll see what happens after that. But no they've done their dressing, they're doing their staying all that. The stain is what's impressing. Sure, absolutely right. Well we are talking about it last week. If they'd lose this game, we'll see out of that many people.
Speaker 2: Right right, and then the Colorado game will be more more of an interest because of the curiosity. Sure. Yeah, that's why you're taking me taking a You're gonna be out of town. I'm gonna be out of town. Thanks for the tickets, and I think we gave those away already, isn't you really? Yeah, don't you know who I am? And that's why you get I put it. I put in a vote for you, put in a vote for thanks bridget. I only get one vote. Thanks, thanks Bridge. Okay, no, biggie, we'll see what happens. Uh, you might come in this later this week. Thank you for a lot of people said, Okay, he knows what he's talking about. We'll see what we'll see. We'll see how it goes. Do a little more, you know, polish your stuff. I had to tell you that all the time. Learning a little more. Yeah, okay, guys, we got about three four start watching sports. There's a game right now, and he score up for that one. So I think the Bills are a six. Nothing.
Speaker 3: They scored but missed the extra point.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that's what. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I really couldn't believe that Don was was bagging on the Josh Allen. Yeah, I'll come on, give me, give me top, give me five quarterbacks right now?
Speaker 2: Uh, well, homes right. The I would go purty, I would go You wouldn't go purty. I would put him at the back of the list. I wouldn't pu him number two. No, no, no, okay, but I and I'm skeptical about that, but go ahead, I would do. There's no right or wrong answer, and I'm drawing a blank and already more guys. Well, Josh Allen, I would put Josh Allen. There's three, three, there's three, four, would be I am running of steam. Yeah, I think he's Joe Burrow.
Speaker 4: Joe Burrow five, burst five And is that questionable or he's in No, I think he's in the top five. Put it Stroud, Yeah, I put him, put him before Stroud. But I tell you what I think. I think I'd put Party before Stroud at least now now. And he's and he's not so much a system quarterback. But he's not a flashy dude. He just gets the stuff done. Yeah, I mean he's he's he's winning. Now we'll see with Stroud, We'll see how he does this year. This is the year that they were like, okay, you know now he's going to break out.
Speaker 2: We'll see how that. Okay, so you stretched to get me five, right, so kind of maybe you have to think so five. I think, Well, what about Rodgers? What about Rogers?
Speaker 4: Rogers, Well, Rogers a little old. I'm not sure if he's got it all together, especially with the Jets. I put him in Yeah, I mean yeah, I mean he's he was going to be.
Speaker 2: Injury. But I mean when's the last time he had a three under your game? Thank you? Well? What about golf.
Speaker 3: In this day and age known as three games?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well there's yeah, I mean there's there's not as much as it is before. We still it's still a throwing league. Golf is definitely.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 4: I would put him in the list, not in the top five, put him in top ten. What about the La Rems quarterback Stafford? Stafford, that dude is go to go to I mean, he's just he won yesterday's game. Yeah, he does he does he? So that's maybe six or seven. Yeah, six or seven.
Speaker 2: So there there you go.
Speaker 4: I think what about the Jacksonville quarterback with Lawrence? I think he's a letdown this year. You know, he's one of those things where I think they finally said okay last year at the end last year or in last year, especially in the beginning, it's gonna be good.
Speaker 2: Okay. I was gonna go with this too, if we know we do this with the later this week, the top quarterbacks in the Big twelve and what does what does the FA fit in? Yeah, because everyone thought, yeah, where does he fit in? Now? Now you're right, because before the season, before the season, it was like going, hey, this guy's a heusmand candidate. Now you're thinking, okay, okay, thanks guys, Thank you guys on Entry and Matt and you too, Mike exact. Yeah, we'll see you tomorrow.