Speaker 1: Tired of the every day grind, ever dream of a life of romantic adventure, want to get away from it all.
Speaker 2: We offer you.
Speaker 3: Escape, Escape, designed to free you from the four walls of to day for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 2: You are alone in a giant forest, seeking away of escape, while around you gaining with your every step, the relentless enemy, which is fire, is closing in from every side until there will be only one way out, and that way is death.
Speaker 3: So listen now as Escape brings you Anthony Ellis's exciting story The Red Forest.
Speaker 1: The trail that led from a lumbered town along a washboard road and into the forests. I'm no woodsman, but in the daylight I found the place, and then I started back to the car. But something was different, maybe the tall shadows, and there wasn't a trail any more, only streams where there hadn't been before, trees that were the same but weren't, and sounds sounds that when you were a kid on a hike with fun, and now they schedule. I'd thrown my last cigarette away three four hours before, and that's when the fire had started, and it was then that I started to run, running. It was nearly dark when I found the road. I'd come to it about a half a mile below where i'd park my car. A half hour later, on the outskirts of a little town, my headlights picked up a girl standing by the side of the road. She carried a cheap paper suit case, and she was summing a ride.
Speaker 4: Can I get a ride?
Speaker 5: Mister?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 7: Put your case in the back.
Speaker 4: Not many cars on the road.
Speaker 7: Didn't I no, been walking one.
Speaker 8: Uh huh on my way to Missoula. My last ride dropped me a mile or so back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you live around here. No, I don't guess you'd be going as far as Missula.
Speaker 5: Sure, jeeve. That's so.
Speaker 8: I got a job there starting tomorrow. Kind of broke, if you know what I mean. Buses cost money.
Speaker 7: I know what you mean.
Speaker 4: Hey, your face, bun, you've been hurt. You're all scratched up.
Speaker 1: Oh right, I was hunting. I got lost just the other side of town. If you want to take a nap, it's okay.
Speaker 6: We got about a.
Speaker 7: Hundred miles to go.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 5: M gee.
Speaker 8: It's nice out here, kind of lonely. How much of a road smells good? When what that is over there? What?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 4: Like see.
Speaker 8: Could almost be Seattle from a long ways off. I had a boyfriend used to take me driving at night, and when we came back, you could see a glow just like uh.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, I knew what it was, that glow in the sky. It was on our right, and there's the road twisted through the trees that fell behind us, and then to our left, and then circled until it was straight ahead again.
Speaker 2: The girl had fallen asleep.
Speaker 6: Very quickly.
Speaker 1: I saw her face in the light from the dash, thin, pretty and peaceful. It was about fifteen minutes after I'd picked her up that I saw the lights on the road, and then closer the figures.
Speaker 4: Waving are there already? I just got sleep.
Speaker 7: No, there's something wrong. There's a cop coming this way. What's the trouble?
Speaker 6: What we want you? Mister?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 1: You want me.
Speaker 6: Fire bad one. We gotta have every man we can find. We can use her too.
Speaker 2: Oh well, well, look i'd like to Oh okay.
Speaker 6: Rose the forest ranger. He'll explain.
Speaker 7: Look, I'm sorry, but I'm on my way to mansoula night.
Speaker 5: You're not.
Speaker 9: I've got authority to do this. Mister. I'm sorry, but we need you and I haven't got You couldn't get much farther anyway. The road's kind of the mountain's gone up like a torch. If it spreads there, three town's gonna go too. Come on, I got some clothes and boots for you.
Speaker 5: Hey, what about me?
Speaker 4: I gotta get to Missoula. I got a job in the morning.
Speaker 6: Sorry, sister, you got a job serving coffee here.
Speaker 9: You cop five dollars a day, a day or longer it depends. Let's go.
Speaker 1: There was nothing else to do, so I got into the clothes the ranger gave me, then stood around and waited.
Speaker 7: I wasn't tired anymore, just scared, scared.
Speaker 2: Of going into that forest again.
Speaker 1: The wind came up a bit, and with it the smell, smell of burning, smell of death. A long way off, but closer than the glow at ben we could see flickering against the sky, and it was in a lot of places. And then suddenly it was too warm and quiet.
Speaker 9: All right, you guys, the telephones burned out. I've made contact with a short wave, said you, mister, what's your name?
Speaker 2: Pindel?
Speaker 9: Pindell? Ever use one of these?
Speaker 2: Got a walkie talkie? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Sure, I was in the signal court.
Speaker 9: Okay, you'll carry it and now listen.
Speaker 5: This is bad.
Speaker 9: It's real bad. The fires got behind us. We can't get any more in through here for several hours. They've got to come around from the other side. That's thirty miles. Let's get out, Crowbar. Yeah, I'm putting you in charge. You know what to do. Get in as close as you can of the river instead of backfire. Sure, I gotta stick here with the transmitter. I'll let you know what's happening.
Speaker 5: Sure, you stay here with the pretty girl.
Speaker 10: We go and get fried.
Speaker 9: Shut up, Hanson, you'll have to go with them. Threes not enough?
Speaker 6: Sure, Well, the CoP's gonna do something.
Speaker 9: You better take along some food and canteens. Now, step on it.
Speaker 4: Hi, got a couple of sandwiches I made up here.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 4: This sure is something, isn't there?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You scared?
Speaker 6: Scared?
Speaker 4: Why your face is why you're scared.
Speaker 7: I'm from the city.
Speaker 8: I know what you mean. Those trees give me the willies too dark?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, that's it.
Speaker 4: You'll be all right.
Speaker 7: Listen, kid, If.
Speaker 1: If anything happens, you take my car here, here are the keys. Well, if I don't come back, h keep the car.
Speaker 2: Here's the registration.
Speaker 4: You're kidding, you're coming back?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, so long.
Speaker 4: Hey, my name's Jan.
Speaker 2: What's yours, Wally?
Speaker 4: You'll be careful, Wally.
Speaker 7: We went under the.
Speaker 1: Forest, men with spades, men against fire and terror. There was the man they called fat, three hundred pounds of ungainly body, topped by a tiny and almost disgustingly childlike face. There was Crowbar, a big dark man, quiet and filled with the knowledge of the woods. Handsome the state trooper, thin and wiry, his natty khaki shirt stained with sweat and dirt.
Speaker 2: And me.
Speaker 1: We'd gone about a mile when we first heard it. It came in gusts with a wind high above us.
Speaker 11: Wait a minute, Oh, shut up, about three miles. I think it's coming fast.
Speaker 6: About that far from the river, are we Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 10: Listen you guys, and it's crossed the river with some blitz dinner.
Speaker 9: Yeah, get wrong, It's coming this way pretty fast.
Speaker 5: Look far up there, Look your fast parts. Fire.
Speaker 1: Dull calling row, and dull calling row over, Row, This is roll over. We're still about three miles from the river.
Speaker 2: We can hear it over.
Speaker 9: You can't backfire now the wind's changed.
Speaker 2: You better come back over right, he says, go back.
Speaker 10: That's okay with me, boy, come on, he.
Speaker 6: Listen to that.
Speaker 1: I wanted to run again, that same feeling i'd known before, the fear all around us, closing in and down.
Speaker 2: There was no sky above.
Speaker 1: Only blackness tinged with red, pressing and behind the living forest running overtaking.
Speaker 2: And passing us.
Speaker 1: When we reached the road again, the sound was steady, but I had a strange feeling of relief when I saw the forest stranger and the girl jan It was like coming home. I think it was then that I stopped being afraid.
Speaker 5: Come on, row, we can't do no good.
Speaker 9: Now, we gotta try and join up at the others. What do you mean the fires on three sides of us. That means we head southeast.
Speaker 7: Oh, can we take the road back?
Speaker 9: No, it's cut off. There's two hundred men trying to give a path open for us. We've got to make five miles and in a hurry. Bad is that it's worse If we don't get there in time and they can't make a fire break, we're gonna be smack in the middle and there's not gonna be any way out.
Speaker 3: We will return to escape in just a moment. Lightning may strike more than once in the same place, but it can't begin to compete with men when it comes to starting forest fires. For one fire caused by lightning, supposedly rational humans caused nine by trifling carelessness with matches, cigarettes and bonfires. We need our forests for timber, to conserve our water supply, to add beauty to our lives. Let's not burn them up. And now back to escape.
Speaker 1: We didn't carry anything but canteens. It was hot, and because it was hot at major thirsty even when you didn't need water. The going was rough, and we could only head on what we thought was the general direction of safety. It was at the ridge that we lost the first man. Wind's changing again, crowbar which way? You can't tell? It's haywire with this fire?
Speaker 6: Do we go straight ahead?
Speaker 9: Might as well wait a minute.
Speaker 6: You see that ridge?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm going up there.
Speaker 6: Shouldn't take more than ten minutes. I'll be able to get a better look.
Speaker 5: Give me the flash.
Speaker 9: I'll signal to you.
Speaker 6: I don't know. I haven't got much of a start with fires behind us, and a lot faster.
Speaker 9: Better than walking toward it. Remember it's on three sides. Okay, make it fast, good luck than what way to just certain way? That's right.
Speaker 6: But listen, you're the range of white.
Speaker 5: You go what you send.
Speaker 9: Krowbaf he's fought fires before, he knows he's a better man to climb up there. He's faster than me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll bet.
Speaker 7: Oh you okay, kid.
Speaker 8: Sure will it's fine. I guess I'm not used to walking nowadays. High heels don't help.
Speaker 7: Ow you take it easy.
Speaker 4: My feet feel like they.
Speaker 8: Did once in the dancer went to some big lunk climbed all over me.
Speaker 7: I guess you want have that chop in Missoula.
Speaker 8: If I get out of this, that's all I care about. Ye Hey, Wally, I'm scared. Give me a hand, will you.
Speaker 1: She held on tight to my hand. It wasn't the darkness that frightened her.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 1: That wasn't darkness anymore, but a yellowish red light that came from everywhere. It was another kind of fear, fear of something.
Speaker 7: You could see here.
Speaker 1: And with every minute feel more and more. We waited there ten minutes, eleven twelve, and then.
Speaker 6: You hear something.
Speaker 9: He yeah, it seemed to come from over there, from the ridge maybe maybe.
Speaker 6: Listen, you think something got crowpo line or something.
Speaker 2: I'll go up.
Speaker 9: No, what do you mean?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 9: No, time we waited too long. It may be hurt. I know that, but it'll make you longer than it took Crowbar to get there.
Speaker 6: Come on, No, you couldn't find him in the dark. Who says he's hurt? Anyway, We'll move on. He'll catch you up.
Speaker 7: I say, we go after him, all right, put it to a boat.
Speaker 9: Hurry up, Hanson, We go on.
Speaker 6: Let's get out of here, and.
Speaker 9: I say, go on.
Speaker 7: That leaves you, miss, I'm staying with Wally.
Speaker 1: All right, We'll go with you. We never saw crow Bar again. Maybe a lion got him, maybe it got lost.
Speaker 7: We never saw him again.
Speaker 1: The ranger went ahead, finding trails somehow keeping us moving. We began to climb, and after a while we were on another ridge and for the first time we could see the fire. It stretched out for miles like a huge red sea, and it was all around us.
Speaker 4: Oh gee, Wally, yeah.
Speaker 1: I know, kid, I know.
Speaker 4: Will it hurt much?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 9: Take a breather. I'm gonna try the walkie talkie again.
Speaker 4: He's not scared, is he?
Speaker 7: I guess not.
Speaker 4: Is that because he's a ranger? Rue because he's very brave?
Speaker 7: Jan Roll, you're a funny girl.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not, hey, R Holly or sure?
Speaker 7: Why did you want me to do that?
Speaker 9: Rh Holly?
Speaker 4: I don't know. You're a nice fella. I'll miss you.
Speaker 7: Listen, Jane, I wanna tell you something. What if we get out?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, look I I I'm alright.
Speaker 7: I mean.
Speaker 1: Maybe we could have fun together. I know, well, I did something wrong once sing I killed a man. Why he framed me?
Speaker 7: He got me put away for something I didn't do.
Speaker 1: We were driving in the east and ran over a woman. He was at the wheel, but he ran off and left me. Well you didn't do it, that's what I say. But i'd been drinking and went to sleep. When I woke up, I was behind the wheel. He'd put me there and that's how the cops found me. I got five years.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 1: I was married, I lost my wife, my job, my friends, and I saw i'd get my pal and I did. He knew I was after him and he ran but I.
Speaker 2: Caught up with him.
Speaker 7: I don't care, don't you. I don't know why I told you that. Maybe because if we do get out.
Speaker 4: Sure, I knew it's okay.
Speaker 6: I'm on Gondel the rangers moving off.
Speaker 7: It was the state trooper Handsome.
Speaker 1: I worried how much he'd heard, but there wasn't time to worry about it. Then Row thought he'd seen a break in the fire, and we headed for it. And when we got down in the trees again, I began to get a feeling that had been there before.
Speaker 7: It was nothing I could recognize, but just a feeling a couple of one hundred yards long.
Speaker 2: I knew, why hold.
Speaker 5: Up, there's a shack.
Speaker 6: Looks like someone is living there.
Speaker 10: Better have a look.
Speaker 9: Ye, doors open.
Speaker 5: Hey, it's a man.
Speaker 9: Give me a hand here. Sure he's been shot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a few hours ago. From the looks of it, you.
Speaker 9: Think the man who did this might have started it?
Speaker 7: Well, what do you mean?
Speaker 9: The fire started a few miles north of here. We figured somebody got careless with a match. Maybe it was the killer running away.
Speaker 6: I'd like to get the fellow who did that. Maybe I will me too.
Speaker 9: Well, we can't do anything here. Come on.
Speaker 1: From there on, nobody talked. It was hard enough to lift your feet. Chan was nearly through. I have carried a if Roe knew where he was leading us. He didn't say we followed and knew that sooner or later we'd stop because we were too tired to go on.
Speaker 7: Fat was the first.
Speaker 5: It's you've gotta go on.
Speaker 12: There's still a channel, all right, just for non Please want get up?
Speaker 5: I can't. Okay, you stay, No and come on to you can't. I'm sorry, catch.
Speaker 1: Up to stay on the train, come on channel.
Speaker 5: We have to don't. Don't leave me. That's the word. Can we helping? We're almost ourselves.
Speaker 1: I don't know whether it was because none of us lack daim or because we knew that we couldn't do anything. Funny how you can lose a man and know he's gonna die and you buddy out of your mind.
Speaker 7: Perhaps we wanted to.
Speaker 1: Live so badly we figured the fire would take time out from us to attend a fat.
Speaker 7: Hanson was next.
Speaker 6: I've finished.
Speaker 9: Oh you're not.
Speaker 10: We can still don't get through? No, No, you go ahead.
Speaker 6: Save the girl.
Speaker 9: I'm sorry, Hanson.
Speaker 5: I go on.
Speaker 6: Maybe I can catch up, but I gotta rest you.
Speaker 12: Wally, There'll be a favor what I lost my gun somewhere, you know what I mean? It's a bit quicker that way. You you got one?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Thanks one bullet fire.
Speaker 5: Eh, that's what I wanted to know.
Speaker 6: Okay, pindell, I've got enough rest. I can keep up with you. Now. I feel a little safer with this on me.
Speaker 10: All right, go ahead, I'll walk behind you.
Speaker 1: He knew, he knew what I'd done, but I didn't care. Now it wasn't important anymore. Right now, all I wanted to do was get the chain out of this. That it was behind us.
Speaker 13: It sounded like Handsome, come on, come on, but watch that remin. He must have fallen. There's no time we got to Oh he didn't help fat?
Speaker 5: Why him? I don't know?
Speaker 9: Please?
Speaker 5: All right, all right, stay here, answer.
Speaker 1: That, sir.
Speaker 5: I can't call me that, okay, I why can you get up?
Speaker 10: It's broken?
Speaker 6: I guess.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Handsome, you know about me, don't you?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 10: I heard you killing the girl.
Speaker 5: She won't say anything.
Speaker 6: No, I guess not.
Speaker 5: The fella had a comment, toy.
Speaker 10: I wouldn't know.
Speaker 5: I'm a cop.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, it's getting hot.
Speaker 5: Put your arm over my shoulder.
Speaker 12: No, you you can't get me up there, but I can try then?
Speaker 10: Come on, hyeah, low good. We can't make it.
Speaker 5: I'll get wrong. I'll come back.
Speaker 10: There, there's no time.
Speaker 12: Go on, we'll get out of here. Well, like, go on, I got your gun. Nobody you ever know? Lesten, I'm sorry, Like, get out of here.
Speaker 1: Somehow I made it up the trail again. I thought I heard a shot, or maybe it was a burning tree going down. John was waiting for me. We caught up with Row and went on until the trees began to thin out, and we heard the shots of men.
Speaker 5: But I don't remember anything else.
Speaker 1: Because I passed off for a long time. When I woke up, Jan was sitting by my bed and it was cool again.
Speaker 7: Hi, Jana, Jan? Did they get handsome?
Speaker 5: Not?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: No, listen Joanna about what I told you back there? You know the man I killed?
Speaker 10: Yeah, well I.
Speaker 1: I I'm not sorry. I mean it was alright about him, but not handsome, crowbar and fat. That was my fault, you know. Yeah, Well, I want you to call the cops now.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 7: I've I've been dreaming about it. It's no good, and I'd be a good kid.
Speaker 8: And call the cops. I don't have to outside in the cordon. What do you mean, Roset for him.
Speaker 4: You told what you did while you were unconscious.
Speaker 7: I told, Oh, that's good. That's good. I'm glad.
Speaker 4: You want me to hang around.
Speaker 7: Well, that's up to you.
Speaker 4: I guess, I guess it is. I'll hang around.
Speaker 3: Escape has brought you the Red Forest, written and directed by Anthony Ellis, starring William Conrad as Wally and Georgia Ellis as Jam. Featured in the cast were Parley Bear, John Dayner, Jay Novello, and Tom Tully. The special music for Escape was composed and conducted by Leith Stevens.
Speaker 1: Next week, you are in a lighthouse off the steaming coast of French Guinea, while around you, frightful in its fury, a nightmare of terror and violence is closing in on you, a nightmare from which there is no.
Speaker 5: Escape.
Speaker 3: So listen next week, when by popular request, Escape repeats one of its most unusual stories, Three Skeleton Key by George two Doos. Those favorites of millions yours truly, Johnny Dollar and Mister and Missus North make for highly exciting listening as Johnny prowls the world for adventure, and the Norths meet murder merrily. Now most of these same stations also bring you twenty first Precinct, great stories based on the world's largest police department. Consider this an invitation to excitement and adventure. Tuesdays on CBS Radio. This is George Walsh speaking. And remember Jean Herschel stars as kindly doctor Christian every Wednesday evening on the CBS Radio network