Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Al once again, thank you, and I truly appreciate when you're doing news and you throw it back to me with a very simple intro. Morgan White Jr. I'm he he is me. I'm being cute with grammar. I am going to be here till midnight. I have lined up what I feel is a superb set of guests tonight, and my next guest is a media historian. And I've been doing radio since nineteen eighty. I've worked at a good six seven radio stations in the greater Boston market, been with BZ since roughly nineteen ninety five ninety six, and I have never met anyone who knows so much about media history. She's worked in various markets, and for those of you who don't know, you wouldn't know of the group Rush if it weren't for her. She has been very kind to me over the years. I know we have her on for two hours, but tonight I've only got her for one. Please welcome my friend Donna Helper.
Speaker 3: Donna.
Speaker 4: Now you're supposed to say my guest needs no introduction, and I gave you one, but don't you love it when they say, you know, my first guest needs no introduction, and then they like talk about the person for twenty minutes. Yes, there it is. Well, you know what, it is a privilege to be on with you anytime, whether I'm doing the Morgan Show or whether you're filling in for Dan Ray. You and I are two people who just love radio, and it's so cool to be able to get together and just talk about some radio and some music and some trivia and just you know, have a good time.
Speaker 2: I gave you a little plug wrapped around the reintroduction of Bradley Jay to beusy listeners. He's coming in Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I think it's Monday. He's got Peter Wolfe's schedule. Yes, yes, which ties in with what you and I are going to be doing for the next hour. Tell everybody what you and I have planned.
Speaker 4: Well, for one thing, we were talking some of you a little inside baseball here. Some of you know that we do a little bit of show crip before we come on the air, and we were talking a few weeks ago about concerts that people have seen in Boston, and then we started talking about entertainers who are from Boston and then and it just kind of went from there, and I see an opportunity to give a little respect to Boston and to Massachusetts, not only about people that were born here that became famous, people that were raised here, but maybe people that you saw in Boston or in Massachusetts. So that's what I was under the impression. We were doing the impression about something different.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, And I'm going to give an example. I live in Newton, and this gentleman was born in the gentleman I'm about to mention, and we say Boston, and it could be Newton, it could be Framingham.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Greater Boston, anything in eastern Massachusetts. I'll even take western mass you know what I'm saying. It could be less come in here.
Speaker 2: With the funny spelling. If that's where they're from, we consider them Boston, yep.
Speaker 4: Part of the family. And uh, who are you thinking about? You were you were from?
Speaker 5: I guess I was thinking.
Speaker 4: About someone from Newton, Robert Wooden. Yeah, and I was thinking about Amy Poehler.
Speaker 2: Oh there you go.
Speaker 4: But may I tell a quick story since you mentioned rush, let's get everybody started here and you'll see where I'm going in a second.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: Now, obviously Rush are not from Boston, Okay. I mean I've seen them play in Boston a multitude of times, and I feel very fortunate they are. Indeed, but when Rush were inducted finally into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in twenty thirteen, they were on the bill with someone who from Boston, and it's somebody that I've always liked her music, and I felt terrible that she didn't live long enough to see her induction. She passed in twenty twelve, and she was inducted in April of twenty thirteen. I was there, and I'm talking about the Queena Disco, the Pride of DoD Chest.
Speaker 2: Miss Darnah Games summer. Yeah, I'm being cut by calling your Donna Games. That was her.
Speaker 4: That was there, absolutely, and her husband and her kids were there. Kelly Rowland inducted her from Destiny's Child. I mean, there wasn't there wasn't a dry eye in the house. Okay. It was just an incredible evening and I wish she had lived to see it. But that's what we're talking about. People that are from Boston or from Greater Boston people who became famous. Now, real quick, A lot of people think Jay Leno is from Boston.
Speaker 2: He's from the North Shore, is he not?
Speaker 4: He was raised on the North Shore. He was raised in Andover, Okay. But he was born in New Rochelle, New York. But we kind of adopted him because he moved his family moved here when he was just a little kid. I'm sure he doesn't remember New Rochelle, so we kind of count him in a way. And Ben Affleck the same way. Ben Affleck wasn't born in Boston either. He was born in Berkeley, out in California, but his parents moved to Falmouth and there you have it. So let's think about some people who were either born in Boston raised in Boston, but they are known for being from the area. And if you saw them perform, so much the better.
Speaker 2: Would you like to know a Jay Leno's story? Would a lot of people do not know?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Please, I've met Jay, what a nice person.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, and I'm sure you've heard this. When he first started out, he was a kid, late teens. Absolutely, somehow he spoke to the manager of this particular club. I'm not going to mention its name, just yet, and he said, you know, there's downtime of three or four minutes in between your acts. Can I get up on stage and do some of the comedy. The guy looked at him, crosssied and said, you're gonna get killed, kid, but sure, go ahead. So Jay Leno began entertaining the old guys that were perverts at a strip club in Boston call the Teddy Bear Lounge, which near the old Playboy Club. Oh yeah, and that's where he learned how to.
Speaker 4: Handle a crowd, absolutely, because you've got to be able to handle those hecklers. You really do. Hey, you know who else I didn't realize was from the area until I started like doing research for this.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm gonna stop. I'm gonna stop you here because we get a couple of calls and I gotta do a news hit.
Speaker 4: I'm Tony says hello. By the way, to.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a break. Time and temperature here on Nightside nine fifteen, I'm assuming it's still eighty five degrees.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to night Side. I'm Morgan filling in for Dan. And by the way, I was just chatting with one of the two producers. Tonight, we've got Rob as usual, you have Rob producing nightside, but Shane, who normally is with me on Saturday nights, is here. I'm just getting to extra time behind the board. And now let's give you the fourth member of our crew. Donna, help her and Donald. Let's take we've got full lines. Let's get some of these people on air. Let's go to Lynn Mass and speak to lrow Lorow. Good evening, Welcome aboard.
Speaker 6: How are you Morgan? Always good to talk to you. I wish your true happiness. I hope that good things happen for you and your family and your cat. Thank you, and Alison, I have to say we're such a her like. All the time I hear her, I always think of Jim Brady. I don't know why she sounds so hugh, Alice.
Speaker 7: Is she sounds so cute.
Speaker 6: I always look forward to hearing from what she's on what she has to say. Happiness be with her and all your listeners, including the one that's going to be on ater Me whoever that is.
Speaker 2: Okay, Donna.
Speaker 6: I have to thank you Donna, because you are interactively on Twitter. Not too long ago, I told you that I have some idea years about like about like a slow gens radio station. And also I sent some uh feedback to Channel four and I told you that he replied to me within ten minutes they didn't even think about it and said, oh it's not going to work out. But anyways, aside from that, take it for that help and thank you for your good advice. And you was asking if we saw anything any performed Boston performers. I have to mention a couple of names that you that you folks might know. So back the same year that the Vomban and the American bomban happened around I think it was a February. Back then, Channel seven was NBC affiliate, so that back then they had the Today Show. They came to Boston. There was at Fanniel Hall, And luckily for me, I got to see the Today Show a few times when they came to Boston. So that particular year I met Nancy Chen who was locally Channel seven. She became on CBS. Most recently I haven't seen her. She was mostly on Saturday mornings. Recently, I haven't seen her at l maybe about a year on there. Uh, she was on CBS Saturday mornings. Uh she became famous, you know, like you know, CBS is around the country, so she was on there. David Wade as well, he was on the CBS Evening News on week nights and also back then, uh around what was the year that Mariton after Boston bomban happened. Jeff Glore, Uh, he was also on Channel seven. He also was on CBS Saturday mornings.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 6: Also, I haven't seen him recently, probably within.
Speaker 8: A year or so, you know.
Speaker 6: Uh so both him and Lissi Chen was on the CBS Saturday Mornings.
Speaker 4: Okay, you mentioned you mentioned somebody in passing, and I don't know if you got the name right, but if you're referring to David Muir, it.
Speaker 6: Was no Davia Wade. Yeah, David Wade was on Channel four. Yeah, David mull Also, I think he's from.
Speaker 4: Barton, are he's on He was absolutely on the air here in Boston before he went on to be famous on ABC.
Speaker 6: Ok No, yeah, yeah, yeah, of course, of course I know I know them them too. Yes, So David Wade is some one on Channel four. Yeah, he's he's on Wheat nights on Channel four locally, but he was also, uh, he was I think filling in. He was filling in. I'm sorry, my mistake. He was filling in on CBS Evening News. So he became famous, you know, like to answer, y'all course, and.
Speaker 4: You know, very definitely yep, yeah, just sort of de chiming on that.
Speaker 6: Appreciate do thank you, I appreciate all your help. And Morgan, I wish you true happiness. Happiness be with you and your family and the cat and the next call for it there is. I wish them true happiness as well.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Bye bye in connect call is in Quincy, Keith and Quincy. Welcome to night side.
Speaker 8: Good evening, Donna and Morgan Keith.
Speaker 4: We know how to say Quinsy. The rest of the country name no, but they think it's Quincy in the rest of the country, but it's not.
Speaker 8: There's seventeen other cities in towns. I know they all pronounced Quincy.
Speaker 4: I know we're the best. We're the best. We do Quincy.
Speaker 8: Well, do you know why we say Quincy.
Speaker 4: I was under the impression that's how John Adams and John Quincy Adams said it.
Speaker 8: That's right exactly. They that's how they pronounced it. Back in the late sixties, in the early seventies, I saw Tom Rush at the Paul's Mall and.
Speaker 2: Jazz Paul Well.
Speaker 4: I used to go there all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very special venues. They were just special venues on Boylston Street. They were, I'll tell you.
Speaker 8: And my roommate college roommate was a blues freak, and he kept telling me, you got to come with me and see his band. You got to come with me to see his band. So it was at a place called the Catacombs, and I don't remember that, I remember it very well, yep, okay. And so you go down to a cellar and then there's a sub basement and it was five bucks to get in, and you get a drink with the five dollars of cover charge, and it was Jay Giles really became famous.
Speaker 2: They were all.
Speaker 4: Those were the days got I saw us so many great stars at Paul's Mall, and a lot of up and coming folk music folks. You know, you're right about Tomas. I think I saw Ian and Sylvia there a while back, you know, years ago when they were still together.
Speaker 8: A lot of a lot of good groups coming in, and the place that I remember best was in the South End, the original Boston Tea Party, which was an old yeah remember that.
Speaker 4: Yes, I used to go there too, very definitely. And the Psychedelic Supermart. Remember the Psychedelic Supermarket.
Speaker 8: Oh, all kinds of groups would come there, and the guy that owned it had a sign outs that help want it's all my roommate and now he went over and asked him and he says, look, he's I'm just starting up, but I really don't have any money. But if you help me out, you know, with the staging and all this kind of stuff, you can bring any of your friends and to see the shows were free. So we did that for a whole semester. It was great. Helped meet cream, we got to meet I mean, there was all kinds of who there you old Fleetwood Mac, the original Fleetwood Mac, not the one now. And these guys are great. We'd take them out because they had no place nowhere to go, so we'd take them over the Ken's and Copley. It was open till three o'clock and.
Speaker 2: A lot of places would close it too, and they would rock cab no buses, but after two o'clock the ts stopped.
Speaker 8: Note suys, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: It, but they'd go over there and get a noth Yeah.
Speaker 3: That was young for the days.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Yeah. I had all kinds of autograph pictures and albums from all these different groups, and unfortunately my apartment burned down and I lost everything. So okay, so woman upstairs left the space heater on and ignited the drapes and that was everything was gone.
Speaker 4: So sure, since you're talking about that, remember when Tanglewood used to have rock stars because I went out that Tanglewood back in nineteen sixty nine. I still remember it. And I saw the Jefferson Airplane, BB King and the Who for like seven bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can't even buy a beer for that nowadays.
Speaker 4: Oh, you can't get an get parking tree.
Speaker 8: The old gray Tree used to be the field up there. He had no it was it's the name of I think now it's torn down. But Janis Chopplin and Big Brother and Holding Company were there. That was the last one of the last concerts together before.
Speaker 4: Unbelievable.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they had all these little cool venues. Speaking of Tanglewood, with my wife and I were just out there last weekend to see Garrison Quila and Ferry Home Companion. He made a comeback, and so that was we go out there every June to see him. We really like it. Then he stopped, you know, he ran into a little problem there and he started performing and so uh huh, he just he had a little revival this time. He got a little coming back. But yeah, tangled with a special place. All kinds of places around were yeah.
Speaker 1: Memories, yep, yep.
Speaker 4: Used to go to the Club forty seven, speaking of Tom Rush Club forty yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a it's a bygone era. Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Well that's why we're doing this.
Speaker 4: That's why we're doing We wanted to do this.
Speaker 8: I can't remember seeing the who. The who came and they instead of going to Boston Guards, they said, we'll play four nights at the old Music Hall, okay, because they just didn't they didn't believe that, you know, the garden was a proper place for acoustics, which there wasn't. It was a sports are in it. Yeah, So we went to see him that one night and remember these said the concerts on the common.
Speaker 2: Oh, I remember that. I remember that. So I hate to do this, Keith, but I've got a news hit to take. So I got a wave goodbye, Okay, but thank you for your memory, thank you for the all right, bye bye six eight eight, eight, nine to nine, ten thirty. We've got ron in New York, but we'll get to run after quick break. Donna is here, I am here, thank you. Dan isn't but we're doing the best we can to hold the fort time and temperature nine thirty seventy nine degrees.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Boston's News Radio once again.
Speaker 2: Dan is off. He's off for the rest of this week and all of next week. He'll be back whatever. The second July Monday is. I don't have that date in front of me, but you can figure it out. Go look at the calendar and find it. I am fortunate enough to have tonight tomorrow and next Thursday and Friday, and between me, Bradley Jay will be filling in for Dan Ray Here on Nightside, I am joined right now by Donna Helper, and she and I speaking about the myriad of entertainers who've appeared in Boston entertaining appeared all over the country and beyond.
Speaker 4: And I started to say to you, I'm sorry to interrupt you, Morgan. I'm a horrible person, but I when I was doing the research for this segment. To make sure that I had all my ducks in a row, I started looking at the names of people that are from here, and it's like, yeah, you know, the usual suspects came up, the people that are like really famous that everybody thinks off, like Matt Damon and you know, James Taylor and people like that. But I was surprised that a couple of folks that are well known for oldies are from the area, like Bobby Boris Picket It is a Monster mash School Summerville. He was from Somerville, that musical that.
Speaker 2: We put together, Don't Touch That dile Yes. He was one of the.
Speaker 4: Actors in Oh Yeah. And also our friend Norman Greenbaum. He's from Maldon with Spirit in the Sky, which was a huge hit in the late sixties and has just had like a resurgence, and you know, the pride of Malden, Massachusetts. So I just thought i'd mentioned the two of them for all the oldies fans out there.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go to New York. Ron is in New York, and Ron, thank you for calling night Side.
Speaker 9: Good evening, Donner and Morgan, how are you doing tonight?
Speaker 6: We're doing great, how you doing great?
Speaker 9: Great show so far. I grew up in I grew up in Lynn and spend most of my time there in New York now, but uh I had a friend and also a good entertainer from the Freddie Cannon.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, actually.
Speaker 9: He was from Revere, but he went to school and then and we grew up with them. And you know he's always entertaining.
Speaker 4: And palisades Tallahassee.
Speaker 6: Yeah, where the action is.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, begin regular is. Arnie Ginsburg used to play him so much.
Speaker 9: I mean, oh yeah, yeah, that's that's where he was. His the trump that took him over without the Hollywood oh yeah, from from when when.
Speaker 4: He was he was so popular with Arnie's listeners that he took one of his songs called Paddy Baby, which never became that big a hit, but he turned it into Arnie Ginsburg. And so instead of Patty Baby, the one that the kids all know, he did Arnie Ginsburg, the guy with the swinging show, and it was just a great parody.
Speaker 2: It's Ernie Ginsburg show.
Speaker 9: So anyway, he was one of he was actually one of many people from Lynna and Mayor pretty well, I mean they had some actors to.
Speaker 2: Lynn.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, that's a little classical.
Speaker 4: I'll be very honest with you. I've never heard that. I mean I when I think Lynn, I don't think Telly Savalas. I thought he was born in New York. I well, I'm he may have been, he may have spent he may have been raised in I'm not saying he wasn't, because an awful lot of people were born elsewhere, but they spent so much time in Massachusetts that everybody thought they were from here. But I could swear, and if I'm wrong, I'll admit it. I could swear that Telly Savalis was born in New York. And let me just very quickly out the joys of the Internet. Born in Garden City, New York, in nineteen twenty two, raised in New York, went to Floral Park High School. No, I don't. I don't, sim and Lynn, sorry he must, but you're you're half right. He later moved to Lynn when he was in like what used to be called junior high school, which today would be middle school. The first eumpty fumpty years of his life were in New York, and then his family did move to Lynn. So there you go. I did not know that bringing up that say, but they didn't stay. So he went back to New York and graduated from Floral Park High.
Speaker 9: And we had we had another for a little who else we had? We had a famous quession played Walter Brennan.
Speaker 4: Remember him, oh clearly, Oh my god?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 2: And where was he from?
Speaker 9: When he was originally from from uh swampscot Master he moved to when he was a kid.
Speaker 4: Okay, absolutely remember I remember reading about.
Speaker 2: That long before the real McCoy's in the forties and fifties. He was almost like that Gabby Hayes roll in B Westerns. Yes, he was in so many B Westerns. And my favorite line was not spoken by Amos McCoy. It was spoken by Will's Sonnet. Because he was in the guns of Will's Sonnet.
Speaker 4: I will never him from the song Old Rivers that Mule.
Speaker 2: Olds and Let's take the Road.
Speaker 9: I got a quick, quick one for you. You probably know this. So what was the B side of Old Rivers?
Speaker 2: I do not know.
Speaker 9: It was Halsey epiguide of John H.
Speaker 7: Glen.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, I remember, very good right, Yes it was. It was played on Top forty around here. It went absolutely nowhere but it did get some airplay.
Speaker 2: All right, Ron, I got to take another call, but thank you for making this call.
Speaker 9: Thank you. Have a good night folks.
Speaker 2: YouTube, Bye bye. Let's go well by the way phone number six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty eight eight eight, nine to nine, ten thirty. This is a night's side you want to call in for only about fifteen minutes more. We're going to be talking about well known Bostonians that may have been born here entertained here. We'll leave it up to you to throwing names like Telly Savalas and Walter Brennan. Let's go to Marblehead and speak to Tommy. Tommy, good evening.
Speaker 10: Good evening, John and Morgan. Thank you so much for this show tonight. It's quite a history lesson.
Speaker 2: Okay, well add to it. I'm going to go off.
Speaker 9: The rail a little bit.
Speaker 10: I just wanted to ask either of you or both of you, are you familiar when the greatest rock and roll band of all time back when they were first gotting out in the sixties. Supposedly, and I didn't go on the internet because I just want to relax tonight, but supposedly they played at Manning Bowl in wind Massachusetts and the concert, from what I understood and why I've heard from people, ever happened because there was a riot.
Speaker 2: Well, the greatest rocking rolle Banding Stones. I was about to say, the greatest rocking roll band by name in history is the Rolling Stones. You have to say that if you're introducing them to come on stage.
Speaker 10: Absolutely that I was working enough to do them playing in two thousand and.
Speaker 8: Four at the way.
Speaker 10: But I'm just wondering if that was like one of the biggest bands to ever play outside of Boston, which it was in Land, which is by we close to Boston as we know.
Speaker 4: Well, the Beatles played.
Speaker 10: Your knowledge of that or your opinion of that.
Speaker 4: Well, the Beatles played at Suffolk Downs, which is sort of Revere, isn't it, And.
Speaker 10: The Beatles plays heard that and also the Beatles played at Suffolk Towns.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, the Beatles absolutely did. And Gary Lapierre, god rest his soul covered it. It was one of his first assignments. What a great gig that must have been. Yeah, So yeah, the Stones played the Manning Bowl in June I think of nineteen sixty six. Okay, but the Beatles absolutely did not play the Manning Ball However, they did play Suffolk Downs, and as I said, I know that for a fact because Gary Lootiear was there and one.
Speaker 2: Of the one just one more thing, go ahead.
Speaker 10: Do you have any knowledge about when the Stones were scheduled to play in lynn In that there was a riot that prevented them from playing.
Speaker 2: Donna.
Speaker 10: I heard the Hell's Angels were involved in this, and that there might have been a stabbing or two, but that that.
Speaker 2: Story from what I've heard.
Speaker 10: Okay, I'm sure there's someone else there that has the knowledge, and if I could go on the internet, I would, but tonight I'm just relaxing. But that story has oh very much for this outstanding show.
Speaker 2: You're welcome, Tommy, bye bye. But by now, the.
Speaker 4: Only angels and stuff that.
Speaker 2: Happened in Ultima, California.
Speaker 4: Yes, as far as I know, there wasn't a stabbing or Hell's Angels. I mean, I'm looking at the ad for the show from the Manning Bowl three dollars, three dollars to see the Stones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's he's got the story right, but the location wrong by three thousand miles. So Tommy, yes, that's that story happened, but not in Massachusetts. It happened in California, and if I'm not mistaken, part of the fee that the Hell's Angels had for being in charge of security was a couple of cases of beer and like two hundred dollars cash something like that.
Speaker 4: And as far as I know, there was no riot. There was, I mean it was. There were a lot of fans that were kind of pushing and shoving. There were a lot of people that wanted to try to get in and couldn't get in. But I'm looking at the reviews. They played for twenty minutes. The fans were upset because they didn't play longer. But I don't see riots, and I don't see Hell's Angels, and I think that was somewhere else entirely like Altamont.
Speaker 2: Let me take my last break of this hour. By the way, those of you who are fans of as I call her, the Empress of Entertainment, Joyce Cole Hawick will be here next hour, but Mark and Newton will be next on the phone after this break. Time in temperature nine point forty seven seventy nine degrees.
Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Have about eight minutes left with Donna Helper. But that's only half of night Side tonight. We still have another two hours from ten to midnight. I'll tell you more about that after Donna and I take a call from Newton and speak to Mark.
Speaker 7: Hello, Mark, Hello, Donna and Morgan. He'll be as quick as I can. You mentioned briefly at Ams and of course the Ms Brothers. They were from Malden, Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 7: Georgia Gibbs I believe was born in the Worcester.
Speaker 4: Area, Yew Georgia Gibbs.
Speaker 7: Yes. And the tune Weavers featuring Margot Sylvia who had that big hit Happy Happy Birthday Baby. I believe they were from Roxbury Gibtag Yes, Yes. And the Jamie Summertime, Summertime they were from I believe, Georchester.
Speaker 2: And we know that story. Donna tell that the background story on that.
Speaker 4: Oh God, to get into a long thing about Shuram Feller and so on and so on.
Speaker 2: Surm Feller was the announcer at Family Park and he was the driving force behind the Jamies.
Speaker 4: Tried to get songwriting credit for it, and there's a real question about whether he actually wrote the song. But in fairness, it was really common back in those days for producers of records to also get songwriting credit. So but yeah, long before Sharam was Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and girls. The announcer at Fenway Park. He was on the radio with Judy Valentine, God Rest her Soul, and they did a show called A Feller and His Girl and they used to be on the old w E E.
Speaker 2: I and had I had Judy a number of time song Yes WBZ with me, Mark anything else, just a.
Speaker 7: Few others Orpheus and the Barbarian.
Speaker 4: And multi in the barber Yes, are you a boy or are you a girl? Yes? Indeed, thank you for the call. Thank you and AVS TV fans know that Ellen Pompeo from Grey's Anatomy Everett, Yes, right of Everett.
Speaker 2: All right, so market's gone. Let's now go to We have two more people to try to get on in four minutes to do it. Josephin Lynn, Welcome aboard.
Speaker 3: Good welcome, Donna. I wanted to give you support. I love music. I wish there was a record stores e CDs there and I wanted to give you support for your case. I won my case with MCD. I hope you win them and knock them dead because that was wrong what they did to you. But I.
Speaker 4: Coy for another day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll call back Morgan when your open lines with my cancer story. Things aren't going well about Donna. Where can we find record stores around here? CDs?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I love those? It's so hard. I don't buy online. I can't. I'm not good at it.
Speaker 4: No, I know exactly what you're saying. There are still a few record stores in the area, a lot of used record stores and places like that. But Randolf someplace you.
Speaker 2: Like to go Randolph Music, for one, Yep.
Speaker 4: I never Pippy White. I used to go to Skippy White.
Speaker 2: I had Skippy on as recent as a year ago. He had a big live show in Boston last July.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 2: And his record store, the last one was in Egleston Station.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I used to like to go to cheap O Records. Yeah, I love you.
Speaker 3: Is that the place to go to because I can't go to Randolph It's kind of far from me and if the ride goes here. But done that. Is there any record stores in Boston?
Speaker 4: I don't even know if they're open anymore, to be very honest with.
Speaker 3: You, Oh my god, so many of those.
Speaker 4: Stores are no longer around as far as I know, cheap O Records is still around. They're in Cambridge, okay, and they want to get a call. They're in Central Square in Cambridge. Give them a call, see if they're still there. They were still there with a couple of months ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But again, I wish you well in support.
Speaker 4: Thank you honey much.
Speaker 2: Jo So thank you for the call.
Speaker 3: I got one more call you later, God bless.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've got one more call to take with Donna. Let's go to drake It and speak to Ernie. Hello, Ernie, Hey.
Speaker 5: Hi, Donna, and Hi Morgan Hello.
Speaker 4: Hey, hey, how are you Hi?
Speaker 8: You guys.
Speaker 5: Of course you probably know this. Betty Davis was born in Lowell. Yes, indeed, I knew that Nick and McMahon is from Lowell. Yes, he is young with the Lowell High School.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 5: And I wanted to Donna, you probably might know this. Bob and Ray got the start at.
Speaker 2: W L l A Y L l A H and then they eventually wound up on w U H D H. And uh, I think I've had Bob Elliott on yep.
Speaker 5: This actor in the fifties Windell Corey.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, sure, he's from where.
Speaker 5: He's from, Drake At, Massachusetts. Is he really?
Speaker 2: And that's where you're from?
Speaker 5: Yes, I am excellent. You can geat, you can google it up. He went to Draket High School.
Speaker 4: He's been Drake It okay, excellent?
Speaker 2: Any others here?
Speaker 5: What's that?
Speaker 2: Any other names you want to bring up?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 5: Here for me, all my memories screwing up in the sixties was the Commodore Ballroom and Lowell and all.
Speaker 7: All of you know.
Speaker 4: They used to have some wonderful talent out at the Commodore Ballroom.
Speaker 5: Yes they did, Yeah, all of you know.
Speaker 4: I used to I used to like the Surf Ballroom in Fantasket because that was closer to me. But Commodore and they.
Speaker 5: Would travel with Circuit Tana.
Speaker 9: Sure.
Speaker 5: Sure, one night they would be in Lowell. The next night they might be at Hampton Beach. You know what I'm saying right absolutely at the Candy Lake Ballroom. And so yes, yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: In the amount of time.
Speaker 4: But thank you Joey much, thank you, Thank You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Babbeye Donna, thank you. We squeeze, kidney, We squeezed a lot into one hour.
Speaker 4: Yes we didn't, We didn't even get to mention James Spader of The Blacklist and Legal so many others. We'll do it again.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I saw the Tavares opened for the Jackson's, just the Jackson's in the early eighties in Providence. Good time, another story for another day.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, thank you so much for having me on, and thank you to everyone for listening. And you've got another very excellent hour coming up, two.
Speaker 2: Hours, and Donna, you know I wish you well.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, much love to everybody you take care Bybeye.
Speaker 2: Time and temperature here on night side nine fifty eight seventy nine degrees