Speaker 1: It's football.
Speaker 2: The round one yeah, it's what they call an America thacker soccer ball.
Speaker 3: And the other one you're thinking of his hand egg, which is that that long one?
Speaker 1: Well, that's that actual sport.
Speaker 2: Yes, the gentleman's game. I was rather worried to see that. I was watching the Gallagher Premiership Final between Northampton Saints and Exeter Chiefs and even they stopped for hydration breaks. Who the hell stops for a hydration break?
Speaker 3: I stopped for a hydration break.
Speaker 2: Well, that's called going to the pub? Is it is strong with that?
Speaker 1: I stopped for Hedgehogs.
Speaker 3: That's a T shirt.
Speaker 2: We're no longer Pride and I sat in the wood and you sat in your Garrett Callum, So you know, it's it's quite bizarre that only this Richard, who I've spent a huge amount of time with over you know, seventy two hours with Prideau.
Speaker 1: How was it for you, Weatherspoony?
Speaker 2: Yeah it was good. Well, I enjoyed myself. He was. He was sounder than I expected, I'll be honest, I expected when he emerged from his very dangerous looking truck to sort of come hobbling towards me a bit like mad Eye Moody from the Harry Potter films. Yet he was disappointingly sound, which shows he's still got some young and vitmum vigor left in him. Is it that?
Speaker 3: Or is he just putting it on?
Speaker 2: Well, it's probably that to be fair.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't have a stick, which did worry me. I imagined he would have a stick that he would have made himself, like his age.
Speaker 3: Two hundred years exactly. He probably feels like it.
Speaker 2: Not really a stick as such, a staff I see Richard Moore as a staff man. He would have a staff which could help him to walk or could be utilized as a weapon, you know, if any any given opportunity.
Speaker 1: I do think we should bring back sort of the blackthorn cudgel as an everyday carry item.
Speaker 2: Isn't there some sort of day carry in Ireland? They have fighting sticks, don't they? Shes and which I mean are basically dangerous weapons.
Speaker 3: But Hurley, so they're pretty good at fighting with those as well.
Speaker 2: If you, if.
Speaker 3: You ever see them, get get involved.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah, Actually I got a phone call from a chap in Ireland who I know, asking if I could help him sawce some ash trees for to make early sticks. But it seems to be that actually how you have to cut these ash is a little bit complicated. Most of the forestry professionals I spoke to when I don't want to do that.
Speaker 3: Why cricket cricket bats willow yet, Hurley's or ash? What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: Properties?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, look, England has got it nailed when it comes to cricket bats, because I think it's about ninety eight percent of all cricket bats are made from English willow. And the irishally got the same problem as us with ash, and I don't know as to weather. I would have thought it's probably the lightness of the of the ash that probably would make a hurly stick. But having only ever watched it drunk on TV, I think twice and just thinking that looks like, oh is it absolutely great? What is madness? Who on earth would want to play hurling? It is, basically, you know, to my English eyes, is a cross between well, just a full stand up fight hockey and fighting hockey fight and the bits of rubb be thrown in it's ats and the madness madness crazy people, you know.
Speaker 1: So I think the sticks are ash because it's the narrower, so they have to have some sort of the same sort of density as and flexibility, but the more like a tool handle, so you know, you get some axe handles and tall handles are ash. So that's probably why, because it's sort of a length width ratio thing going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense. But how you have to seem to cut them is basically simulate the beaver and you make a.
Speaker 5: Sort of say simulate, simulate, not just stimulate, no, no, simulate the beaver and you make your selling cut.
Speaker 2: So you're digging with your saw right down into the stump in a sort of well like a beaver would sort of cut it out, and it looks like a complete recipe for destroying your chain and bar and probably landing a tree on you, which, sorry Richard, that is is obviously and it's probably is that too soon.
Speaker 1: It's a bit of a trigger triggering thing for me now trigger warning.
Speaker 2: Sorry, yes, any road, What are we going to talk about today? Because you know, it's it's football day to day, isn't it. It is football day.
Speaker 1: It's Tuesday. Just for everyone's sort of sense of time and space, although.
Speaker 3: Not not a really really really important football day, just a jolly football day. So England game tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean so anyway, so what are we going to talk about today?
Speaker 1: Well, we're not allowed really to talk about the very recent Wigan coup sort of now we have a new leader. So that's boring and we're not going to that's.
Speaker 2: Dull, and it's dull because we have no idea what's coming up the track. So therefore, goodbye kids, Starmer, Hello Andy Burnham. Let's see what comes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I just of all the times to do it, just randomly, just felt like it randomly start the week, I'll go, you know, crumbled under zero pressure but didn't crumble under actual pressure.
Speaker 2: Fantastic, what a guy, I know, asterly bizarre. But anyway, he's gone, goodbye, you will not be missed, So onto more important things.
Speaker 1: Yes, have any of you been threatened with prosecution by the Environment Agency this week?
Speaker 3: Not this week?
Speaker 1: Not this week?
Speaker 2: No, I mean you'd have to be surely you know, a great polluter or something to get prosecuted by the Environment Agency, wouldn't you.
Speaker 1: You'd think so, wouldn't you. So yes, who's going to say it?
Speaker 3: The man formerly in our nearly in our new year's honors list, but not in the in the good bit. In the good bit, Paul Pousland is in the news this week and everywhere I go, I see a picture of Paul Pousland and he's used like, you know, like the Daily Mail said that says that freedom of speech is no longer around. And you know, you come out against I don't know, uh, you know, people doing bad things and then you go to jail for saying anything. Yes, well that's what Paul Powsland is currently being flouted as someone that cleans up the river and now he's going to go to jail. But they really like to miss out all of the all of the finer details. And some people go for it, but some people turn around and say he should be given a medal. He's a great guy. And I'm kind of one of them that's still routing for Paul. I can't quite put him into the camp of a terrible person. So can you explain, one of the richards, what actually happened the incident that has led to all of this. The man constantly cleaning up the river roading that runs for the River Roading Trust is what he runs. Yeah, give me some give me some background, because I don't actually know that much about the chat. Give me some background first, Who is this guy and what does he do?
Speaker 1: So he first came across my radar when I started doing what is always the most useful thing to do with your time, which is arguing with strangers on the internet. Love that always solves everything. So I think it was one that we were talking about right to Rome last year or something like that. That's when the first sort of came across him. Because he's quite into the right to roam side of things as well, it seems. But Paul Powersland, he is a barrister. I think he's founder of Lawyers for Nature or something like that as well. But he's he's very much an environmental campaigner and as you say he's I think he's a trustee or chair of the River Roading Trust, which is a they're not a charity, they're charitably incorporated or instituted organization a c IO. So it's a sort of a hybrid between a charity and a business.
Speaker 3: And they say that the River Roading is London's longest river, is what they what they say, It runs quite it runs through.
Speaker 1: What about the teen a long way Wow, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know that's what that's what the words mean.
Speaker 6: That lasted London too, Yeah, but I don't think it's the longest really cool so old father roading then, right, So okay, so mister Powsland does that.
Speaker 2: Runs this charity which is obviously not for profit gov and what's he done?
Speaker 1: So various things at various times. So it was just in a fous Channel four documentary which was about sort of gorilla cleaning up of riverbanks because various organizations and landowners are not doing their due diligence of keeping the river banks clear and free of litter and things like that. A few people took exception to him in that particular incident because well, for one, no one was wearing any of the PPE or required PPE for doing the work they were doing there. So a few of our forestry and landscaping contractor fans of the podcast stopped eating crayons for five seconds and got on there to point out that actually there's a whole world of PPE and legislation for using these tools in these places, which is one of the things. But there I took more of an exception to can.
Speaker 3: I blind rank the argument for PPE? I mean, if you're going to be doing gorilla clean up pp A, sure it it's important you can.
Speaker 2: You can if you want to do it yourself. You know, if you want to put yourself in danger, put it this way. If you choose to go and drink toilet duck, then absolutely fine. But if you take a group of individuals out and you say I'm going to take you on I don't know, a pub tour of Burris and Edmunds and say that I've decided not to take you on a pub tour but here have this instead, and you start feeding them toilet duck and then they all end up dead, then yeah, it's your responsibility. Okay, So Richard, tell me more, Tell me more. Because you run a sea I see.
Speaker 3: Was her responsible for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: So yeah, if you are getting volunteers to come out onto an activity or a thing that you're doing as an organization, so like a charity, like a CIO, something that is sort of a legally structured organization, you have what is known as a duty of care. So you are responsible for the some of the safety and well being of people doing the things that you're asking them to do. So come alonger support to this organization. We're doing good by saying if you come here to do this thing, you're doing good. You can't just say, well, you're all adults. If you fall over and break your leg, that's your problem. If you're saying what you need to do is climb up over this fence, down this rickety ladder onto this unstable bit of bank, sift through the needles and broken glass and things like that, and try not to stab yourself. If anything happens to one of those volunteers, the fault lies partially with the person orizing the activity. And this is not just something I've made a part of the top of my head. This is how every wildlife trust has to organize their volunteer days or or the RSPB or something like that, and we have to do it with our organization. And I think we were talking about this the other day, Calum, and you found something from the Anglers Association.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So there is cases of people dying on work parties. There's been a couple. One of them was I think someone was using a chainsaw and a limb of a tree fell on a guy and killed him. And they got quite a big fine, but effectively he's turned up on something out of out of wanting to help restore the river or whatever it was, or I think it was probably a lake to clear the lake that he's fishing, And yeah, unfortunately this person's lost their life and obviously wasn't wearing appropriate safety equipment. So yeah, I get it. Yeah, it depends what they were doing. But I suppose if they're using heavy machinery and chainsaws and it's.
Speaker 2: Not even that callum is that? Is that the whole point of why he wants to and you know, hats after. I think when we gave him his New Year's honor, he said that, well, I said, because I nominated him for it, was that Actually what he's doing is admirable. But I mean, the holes challenge with the river roading is the fact that it is a very urban river and the stretch which he's on is owned by a private entity that the ripe Haarian rights are right now. In a communication with him via X, I did say, well, did you ask the owners if you could gain access? And his reply he wasn't. Yes I did, and they said no, he said, I wrote to them saying that they could give us as in the river Roading's trust the rights to this river. They could basically give us this this river. So he didn't actually say can I go in and clean it up? He just said give it to me, and unsurprisingly the owners went, sorry, you want me to give you a large bank of river frontage in London? No, because you know, I mean, you buy a shed in London and it costs you know, you buy Euston Park estate for that, So unsurprising they said no. So I don't actually know what the score is when it comes to the riparian rights the banks of it. He clearly has been in communication with him. But because they said no, we're not going to give you this, he took the hump. So he just went out and did some gorilla citizen, you know, good neighborly stuff. But he got a load of people and as Richard said, you know that's where the problem comes. And is it a big issue Richard, I mean, is it something that actually is a big No?
Speaker 1: Note the thing sort of there is not necessarily the massive issue getting volunteers to do something dangerous. It's more of a moral issue, and you're getting people to do things based on your on goodwill of the activity rather than your safety for them. And also you're sidestepping a lot of the stuff that you could do at other organizations that achieved similar aims elsewhere. Do like when you came last week, we drove past one of the woodlands by management managing it for well over ten years now. That cost me a pound a year in rent because I went to the landowner who's absentee, not that they live a long way away, and I said, can I manage this woodland in order to run my courses, but I'll take on all the responsibility of managing the footpaths, keeping the trees safety comes down on a neighbor's fence, I'll deal with it, yeah, which is a substantial amount of work. And they went, yeah, yeah, find as long as you take on that liability and so you could get access to things if you took on some of the responsibility of that landowner that they have to do. So there's that aspect. But the thing that's got him in that Paul Powersland is in trouble with now is whether it was after that documentary or whether that kicked it off. I don't know. The Environment Agency have sent him with sort of a notice of impossible Prosecution trying to find exact wording here, which is it's carrying out an investigation. But it's because the volunteers under the River Roading Trust they removed rubbish from the river, but then they placed it at the sort of the corner of the river, and the Environment Agency said, well, you're just dumping rubbish in a different place. He also rented a mini digger or a digger and removed silt from parts of the river as well, which I think is the really important bit because there are some weird rules around removing silk from rivers and how much metrid you take it from. Because it's effectively the equivalent of building an illegal building in the water, it's sort of treated in the same way by the Environment Agency. So it's actually quite a serious thing, and it's sort of a trip where Paul Powerslander's hit. I don't know whether he knew about it or not, but he's a barrister so probably did.
Speaker 2: I don't think he probably did, because funnily enough, on my way back from you, I went to Herefordshire and I met with a wonderful chap called Robert Denny, who ran a thing called the River Mono Trust and The River Mono is a fantastic river that rises up in the Black Mountains and then flows through the Welsh borders Herefordshire. What have you now? To recover the River Mono meant a huge number of hoops had to be dealt with, and there were all sorts of river mending that they did, and it started off as the River mon Angler's Trust and then became the River Mono Trust. So it wasn't just an angling centric thing, but that was the target, was to try and recover the wild brown trout of the River Mono and the hoops that they had to jump through, but also the goodwill and sanction that they had to get of not only the Environment Agency, but a catalogue of other organizations for exactly the reason you say, Richard, is that if you are going to alter flow and you're going to remove sedemon, you're going to create reds of gravel for trout to spawn in. You're going to remove silt. They had a lot of silting issues there because farming practices had chained, They had too many cattle drinking from the river. All these things, these things fundamentally change the nature of a river. And I think the reality is is that Pousland was involved with that utterly fatuous book called something like I don't know, wildlife Guardian, some old tosh that a load of right to roam people wild service, that was it. Whether they are trying to go and advise people that if you see some natural disaster type thing, you know that, you see some rubbish just trespass, it'll be absolutely fine. Or you see something you don't like or you think is wrong, go and sort it out. And I would argue that Powsland may have a huge amount of passion interest and care for that river, but his knowledge of river mending is open to debate. What time of year was this just recently last couple of couple of weeks, so.
Speaker 3: We're hitting water temperatures hit peak, so fish are spawning. Yeah, So to be getting a mini digger down and to be disturbing seal and the whole of the downstream to be covered in seal is horrendous for spawning fish because the biomass that is locked into the bottom of the river bed is then released into that and that can cause things like algae blooms and if we get if we get rain like we just had like last night in the South, horrendous rain, Algae blooms pop up, the rain hits the water, the algae takes the oxygen with the water, oxygen crashes. All the fish died downstream. Yes, happened hundreds of times. I mean, be surprised if oxygen hasn't crashed in the last days since since a big storm. So he could actually be causing genuine, huge environmental impact by disturbing sill and getting a mini digger on it, like really bad, really bad.
Speaker 1: I al would think that the best place to get commentary on anything is again from strangers on the Internet podcast. But you know, when we were doing some research for this, talking to a few of the Country Slide patrons, they were sending in bits they were sort of found and there was some interesting comments over on Reddit, which, if you're not a millennial, it's sort of like an Internet forum which is inhabited by some of the weirdest people on Earth.
Speaker 3: Village it's a village notice board.
Speaker 1: Smeared with extrement. Yes, just as a point of fact, he won't face any legal issues from the litterpicking. He's in the shit for deciding to be like Alan titch Marsh and Charlie Dimmer can go all ground force on the river and turn it into some kind of water feature. The EA seem like they haven't been doing enough here. Thames Water as usual have been dumping sewage like absolute bastards. But that doesn't mean some rank amateurs can just starting it all up as well, just because they've watched a few episodes of The Really Wild Show and read a George Mombia book that's from a cruddle.
Speaker 3: Well dad cradle.
Speaker 1: There's some interesting other commentary around it which is a bit left field, or I should I say right wing, because there's this whole right wing libertarian movement which is transatlantic now because it's everyone here who doesn't like the government and all of the Americans who don't like government or the idea of royalty and they think we have to do whatever King Child says and stuff like that. There's a whole subset and you can go and find it on wherever you get your Internet. Nonsense from of right wing libertarians who've never heard of Paul Powers or any of these issues. The first time they've seen it is they've seen a news story which says local man fined by government for picking up litter on his river and this is some kind of governmental overreach at every level. And this is some poor man forced to take action because the local town wouldn't. And it's very it's interesting watching incredibly right wing people supporting a man who I think is probably incredibly left wing.
Speaker 3: Is this is what I this is what I've been getting on my Facebook. It's all all right wing libertarian stuff.
Speaker 2: Now listen, I've got a very funny one when it comes to complete nutters, rivers and just odd balls. And this was an absolute gem that came up from Patrick Barkham, the head environment correspondent for The Guardian. And I know it's easy to pick on the Guardian and you shouldn't do it, but I'm going to do it anyway. Now he's written a story here and I'm just going to read you the opening path from this. What does a kestrel make of the dog sniffing in the long grass below? Why does an exhausted salmon pause before a weird How will an otter experience the rumble of a passing train? Now that's a very valid question. You know, what does nature think of the intrusion of human beings? And would you ask in this circumstance a kestrel, an otter or a salmon. No, what they decided to do was get some well meaning but completely batshit mental people to pretend to be kestrels, salmon and otters and live was this boomtown. God knows what they're doing anyway. Basically, these nutjobs decided to go to and go on a river in Somerset called the River Tone and pretend to be otters, salmon and kestrels and see how try to see through the eyes of it. And I read this piece with growing incredulity, going, this is absolutely bonkers.
Speaker 3: Sure you went on the onion.
Speaker 2: Until I read the bloke who's actually organizing this. It's basically an ex squadie. Yeah, and he's managed to go and he's called what's his name, Phil Tovey, the director of Nature Eccentric Approaches at ASRA. Whatever ASRA is, I really don't know. Is some an acronym which probably is in another c I see. And former soldier said the testimonies they received e the people from as Otter, as kestrel and as Sam and others were rather like civilians caught in a war zone who struggled to find food safety your shelter, and I thought, I'm actually smelling where this is coming from. Basically, this is a dude who is ex army, right, And what he's done is, you think, how can I milk the teat of the muppet. I know, I'll get them to pretend to be salmon otters and kestrals and just laugh at them while they're go c and try flapping around on the bank and then sort of you know, trying to open up fresh water muscles with their little paws and shit like that. And he's probably getting paid two hundred and fifty notes a day per person for all this shit, and he is going, yes, I think that's really good, mate, Yeah, brilliant. And then he's going back to the pub, right, and he's going, you will not believe what I managed to get him to do this time. You know, it's it's brilliant because with one of these individuals actually said I think it was the one who wanted to be who was pretending to be an otter, and it's rather amusing. She comes out with an absolutely brilliant line, which was the whole point was not to go out and see an otter, but to be in the world as if you had taken that imaginative leap into otter hood and see what hatterhood otter hood. Yes, she said, I'd never thought about where I needed to do a pooh before. You know, this is brilliant. I mean, it's an absolute genius thing. You, Richard, have been absolutely cocking this up. You're teaching people to go out and how to lay a hedge and coppice of wood. What you should have done. It's just gone and say climb that tree. You're a nut hatch now and you boom. You know. Don't teach all that practical stuff that might be of actual use in conservation. Just get people to pretend to be a shrew and charge them through the nose for it. We've done this wrong for years now, Thank you Guardian. There is nothing that makes me feel better about life than reading a Patrick Barkham column about someone worrying about where they might shiit.
Speaker 1: To like an otter. This is in the same category as those people who go on nature back to nature, rewild the mind, retreats, and what they do is do a lot of yogurt and green tea. Yeah, well, yeah, if you want to rewild JEREMIAA go back to nature. Let's go and work in a spruce block for a week. To spend a lot of time in nature. You'll also see a lot of weird things and meets of interesting people and rewild your mind. You'll go very wild, almost feral in fact, if you sort of worked in forestry for a week.
Speaker 3: Crayons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's not Lucas aid in that bottle, but.
Speaker 3: There's truckish champagne.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is something that annoys me immensely. Is are you ready?
Speaker 2: Long list?
Speaker 1: There's a whole set of people now who run course and businesses and organizations that do these connect to nature things which I which go in several different directions. One they do sort of as rich as outline there, and they do it through art and performative dance. And actually I've seen that here in Wales. One of the latest Curlew projects they had drumming circles as part of the Curlew Awareness project. I mean presumably drumming was to raise money to buy some two four three rounds to shoot a fox with. It's presumably what they're doing to actually help the curlew. But no, they were just doing drumming circle sessions funded as part of the Curlew Project. So that sort of stuff annoys me at a cellular level, But then you've got these back to hunter gatherer mindset. Wait, I'm trying not to mention the names of any businesses here because I don't want to get sued, and I've got to meet these people. They'll take you as sort of take you to a conn off a block or a wood block for a week without your phone, and then other people who actually do work on a land will come and bring things to them or manage it out of the rest of the time. But while they're there, they'll take a lot of hippies from London or mid thirties yoga women and they'll go out and sort of live under a shelter made of twigs and leaves and then butcher a deer and then spent through some sunrise yoga sessions and things like that, which is all sold as reconnecting you back to nature, which I kind of get in that if you spend a lot of time doing things in the outdoor in nature, your brain does change and you do see the world differently. But you could also do that by spending a week doing coppice management, or by doing practical conservation or something like that, something that's actually outside of yourself, any of these things where it's you do this thing and just by doing that thing, you are connecting to nature or you're helping nature. No you're not. That's just helping yourself. That's just self indulgent wank. What you need to do is like the is the fight club version of reconnecting and rewilding yourself, which is taking yourself into somewhere and doing voluntary hardship because that resets your brain, and then do some good whilst you're doing it, like some habitat restoration or other conservation. Weirdly, Paul Powersland's think if you did it properly and set it up properly and took all due care and did things like that, you could actually make that something that reconnects people to nature and rewilds their mind. But you've also got to make sure you've got a permit from the bloody ea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, probably not meddling, just have it. I think the environmental stuff is what the only thing that I really get a permit from me A yeah, but the environmental stuff, and you know, potentially damaging nest habitat or spreading Japanese not weed, or whatever it is that you could be doing. Or so I think a plan, having a plan Powsland's plan would be would be good. But yeah, I get, I get what you're saying. I completely get what you're saying.
Speaker 2: I suppose the thing is, Callum, is that what you've got with him is because his whole thing is about the land ownership is terrible if it's the people who currently own land, and therefore.
Speaker 1: Which him are you talking about Paul thousand?
Speaker 2: So therefore what he's he's saying is that I live here, I've got a sense of place, I love this place. Therefore I have a right to do it. That's the whole right to rown mindset is that they are leaving rights you know it.
Speaker 3: And also, I mean, the people that do have the rights over it are absolutely taking the piss by dumping. So even by him making a sort of quite punk rock statement of there of you know, I'll do what I want. When when he someone says, well you can't do what you want, he just points the finger and says, we let them do what they want. So the point is still made. He still makes a very good point.
Speaker 2: Exactly he makes it makes a point, but he also in the same time pisses all over us who actually do stuff the right way. And I guess, like you said, it's a punk rock mindset, is that you know I won't do what you tell me. I have to say. There is a very funny other thing that Patrick Barkham has written. He's done some mega stuff, not intentionally, it's just by accident. He also he's also gone on one which is quite amusing, is that he gave the story to Rad jief Sial, the Home Affairs editor of The Guardian, is that apparently therapy ferrits in kept in UK's lone largest child prison have been co opted in quotes here by managers to kill rats and I quote resulting in a bloody incident and concerns over child and animal welfare. So therefore it then goes into a lengthy thing saying that basically what the old screws did was that they set these ferrets which are basically played with by these naughty kids who are locked up in what we used to call borstal back in my day.
Speaker 1: And we don't call child prison now now it's not the term Now they said, could juvenile correctional center or something like that, isn't it child prison?
Speaker 2: They use them to basically bolt some rats, and then the war dos stomped on them. Now, I bet you those kids who were banged up in Chokey were absolutely loving this, because there's nothing better than going ratting. I mean, I do hasten to add.
Speaker 3: Introducing introducing juvenile correction center children to field sports. I reckon I could get a shooting Times piece out of that.
Speaker 2: The next generation of gamekeeper that is definitely Patrick Galbraithia a shooting Times get inside a juvenile correctional facility and go.
Speaker 3: Rats some terriers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so anyway they do that, they go on for absolutely sentences after sentences. How terrible it is that the warders are basically going ratting with ferrets and then they're stamping on the rats, right, And then eventually they come around to it and say, oh yeah, it might be actually a little bit of an issue, the fact that our prison system is overrun with rats. You know, that's literally sort of oh yeah, and there's also quite a few rats in the prison. That's not the thing that worries them. It's the fact that they may have disturbed these kids by killing rats.
Speaker 3: Has probably a few of them in there for that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean there's almost a thing in here about misappropriation of funds. That they're using a ferret for something which it's not supposed to be used for. It is supposed to be a thing that they cuddle, not the fact it's an absolutely voracious predator that wants to go out and kill things like rats. But there we go. You know, some of the Guardian is quite literally the gift that keeps on giving?
Speaker 1: Are we farling that away under? They don't understand our country ways, yes, even though it's in a prison, but don't understand our custodial ways.
Speaker 2: They generally don't. It's utterly bizarre. Imagine that bollocking people for using a ferret like ferrets are supposed to be used for. It's wonderful, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I'd actually quite like that I have on my record inappropriate use of a ferret.
Speaker 2: Have you have you ever actually got told offer in appropriate use of a ferret? Because I have that back when I was at school. I where is this going? I'm glad, he said.
Speaker 1: I refused to believe he went to school.
Speaker 2: I was entered for the public house entered at public school. I was entered for the house public speaking competition, and then I thought, you know, all these other guys were going to do all this proper stuff. So I thought, I'm actually going to take my ferrets in and I'm going to talk about ferrets and ferreting and the need for controlling rabbits as we used to have back in the eighties, with two ferrets in my hands. You know, it's a classic.
Speaker 1: And you'd say you're not autistic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna say, oh my god, this is my ferrets. These are my ferrets. So that I mean, look, I'll tell you what I'm going to cut to. The most important thing is I actually won the House public speaking competition and I got a book token for it, which of more at the end of the story. Anyway, because unfortunately the house public speaking competition was after lunch, I obviously had to take them into school. So I bought my ferret box in and I had double biology, I remember, before lunch, and I'd put the ferret box in a little cupboard underneath these very old fashioned sort of science that's out gas taps and all that new lara on and there was a I put them in there. No, the teacher was none the wiser, and it was all fantastic until there was suddenly a loud squealing sound from over on my right, and my ferrets had got out of the carrying box and they had made their way through the little gaps where the gas tap pipes came through, and they'd gone all the way to the end. They had then gone on a little bit of an adventure. They'd climbed up and they discovered that there were gerbils in a fish tank, obviously a dry fish tank with sort of sawdust and stuff in there, and they thought, let's go and kill them.
Speaker 7: And so they then went in and then merrily killed these gerbils, and the squealing was the sound of a ferrets fangs going through the skull of the head.
Speaker 2: Of a gerbil. Now my biology master wasn't that happy. He was pretty irate about it. He was, bizarrely for a teacher at the school like mine, he was very left wing. And he then berated me because he said, this was literally what happened when we went hunting, is that we just went willy nilly anywhere, killing what we liked. But thankfully he didn't confiscate my ferrets, so I was able to go through and do it. But anyway, so I won the house public speaking competition, which is very good. And whenever you won any of these classes, you were given a book token which you then had to go to the bookshop in town by your book and then give it to your housemaster, who gave it to the head master. The when it was speech day and you were given your prizes for various things, he presented you with the various books, and ken House who was our head master, he was presenting other complete works of Shakespeare for Anthony Handen for excellence in English, and we have Dystevskis, and he was going through all these absolute literary tones. And he goes and how public speaking prize goes to Richard Nigus and his book is Lurchers and Long Dogs by Colonel Ted Walsh. God disgust on his face as one of the boys of his school went up to proudly get with a the public speaking thing with two ferrets in his hands, and he was being given Lurchers and Long Dogs by Colonel E. G. Walsh, a Pikey's dog for a man with pikey habits. It was absolutely superb. I loved the look of disgust on his face and that was more or less my last middle digit to the world of education. Fantastic.
Speaker 3: You know, Richard Nigas is the Paul Powsland of public school.
Speaker 1: Is when we make a sort of a monument to Richard when he dies in the next few years and put him up somewhere in that church that's just down the road from his cottage. We carve it in stone. I want him to be represented with a ferret in one hand and a bill hook in the other. Yes, yeah, just sort of standing there.
Speaker 3: With a lercher by side.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So there we are. That's the main show. We're heading on into the after show, where we're going to tell all the stories that we're not allowed to tell in the real world.
Speaker 2: Bye, good bye everyone, goodbye could musically bo