Speaker 1: It's nice eyes. I'm going you Razy Boston's News Radio. Thanks very much, Dan Watkins, as we move into our fourth and final hour here on Tuesday night, April fifteenth. Tonight is the twelfth anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing. That bombing, of course, occurred on what was Monday, April fifteenth in twenty and thirteen. And what I'd like to do is give you an opportunity to reflect on maybe where you were, what experience you might have might not have had. I have a bunch of open lines here, so I'm going to just give the number out one more time, and if you don't want to talk about the bombing and the loss of innocent lives and the fact that the Boston bomber number two is still alive in Colorado in the Supermax prison. By the way, In twenty twenty, bomber number two's death sentence was reversed by the US Circuit Court of Appeals sitting here in Boston, First Circuit, and they found that the judge, Judge O'Toole, who's a really good judge, George O'Toole, experienced judge, had not properly screened all the jurors and how much they had heard about the case. Well, let me tell you, everybody heard about that case. There's no question about that. Okay. So as a result of that appeal, the First Circuit said, okay, we're going to get rid of the death sentence and also eliminated three I guess of the thirty convictions against Boston Barber two I don't mention his name, and they ordered a new penalty phase jury with fresh jurors, leaving the decision of a new change of venue to the district Court. The remaining conviction still carried multiple life sentences, ensured that he would remain in prison irrespective of what happened well. The US government appealed this ruling to the US Supreme Court, who heard the case in March of twenty twenty one. It was argued appealed in March of twenty one, it was argued in front of the court in October of twenty twenty one, and in March of twenty twenty two, the Supreme Court reversed the decision of the First Circuit and reinstated Boston Bomber's number two death penalty, and tonight he sits in the in Colorado in what's called the supermax prison, along with some of the most some of the worst criminals in the history of this country. As I mentioned initially incorrectly, I thought that Joe Biden had basically filed an executive order. He actually commuted the death penalty of thirty seven of the forty inmates on federal prison. He has no authority over state prisons and state death penalties, and they have been during President Trump's time in office. Some state executions have already occurred. So at this point, I don't see what's holding up the White House and the Justice Department from making a move on Boston Barber number two. Again, as we discussed last week, I had a conversation with my good friend Harvey Silverglade, who was in ultimably opposed to the death penalty in any case because it sets a precedent and if there could be an innocent person who would lose their life. So again, I fully totally respect Harvey Silverglate. No one who I respect more than Harvey Silverglade in the legal community, but I disagree with him. And this is a case with there's not a sintilla of doubt. It's not a question of beyond a reasonable doubt. There's not a sintilla of doubt that Boston bomber number two was clearly one of the two men who planted these bombs on Boylston Street. And they are aggravating circumstances to plant those bombs with the ball bearings, the steel ball bearings inside, which were intended to kill and mame, which they did. Anyway, let me go to Warren in Fall River. Let's start it off here in the eleven o'clock hour. It's a sad anniversary, but it's one that I think needs to be remembered. Warren in Fall River. Warren, you're next first up this hour. Thanks for holding through the news. Go right ahead, Warren.
Speaker 2: Hey, Dan, Yeah, just one. You know, I remember that day vividly. I used to I mean, if I had stayed in Boston, you know, like I had, I used to work right across from where the finish was in on Barleston Street, and you to overlook the finish line there. So but I got transferred a year like a year before down to Providence College. So if if I think it transferred down to Province College, I would have been right there at the finish line, and you know, when I worked in Boston, I watched many, many of the races from you know, from months from the window overlooking you overlooking the race.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So well, you just never know how how your life works out. You think about the people who you think about the people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yeah, you know, uh, they are the people who were there five minutes earlier and left to go to lunch and they were spared.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's absolutely it's like the roll of the dice, I guess would be the only way to describe it. Warren.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, absolutely. And and just just a comment on what Biden did you know with the commuting of thirty seven murderers. Yeah, all right, Yeah, that that just, you know, is hypocrisy at best, because what did the left run on, What did the liberal left run on this past thing was abortion? You know, I mean the right to kill, you know, the right to the right to have an abortion.
Speaker 1: No, I understand, Well that's been the position for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I understand hypocritical that they want to defend like the murderers, but you know, they don't want to defend the innocent.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well again, that's an issue that is one that people feel deeply on on both sides of the spectrum, and I think that there's no middle ground there, and I just I want to focus tonight on the bar you know that sort of thing. So I understand what you're saying. What Biden had made a pledge that he would eliminate the federal death penalty, and he made three exceptions. One was the Boston bomber, One was the guy who killed the black parishioners in Charleston, South Carolina, and then one was the guy that went in and killed the parishioners a Xury of Life temple outside of Pittsburgh. So I commend him for not, you know, commuting those sentences. But there were people in the Democratic Party who were upset that he that he didn't commute those sentences too. I mean, I don't get it. There were people on the far left who said, well he should. He prom is then there were forty people on death row uh in the federal in the federal system, and thirty seven of them now are guaranteed to to to die of natural causes or maybe at the hands of another inmate, but they won't be executed by the government.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they won't be executed. But also like if you you know, if you remember back during those horrible days, you know, son Son, I have actually went you know, went to university down at ums Dartmouth, which yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, absolutely, he went back there after the bombing as a matter of fact, And and some of his some of his roommates were people who I believe, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that some of his roommates actually lied about his whereabouts and some of them were convicted of of minor, minor crimes. Again, I'm not going to go into all the details, but they were there were people even knowing, having known what he did, they gave him, they tried to give him cover. Hey, Ron, I'm up my break. I got to let you go. Appreciate your call as always, you know that. Thanks BOM. Talk to you soon, Thanks Warren. Okay, I got some open lines here, and I'm going to talk about this till midnight, with or without you. I hope you joined me. Six one seven, two five four ten thirty one line there and two at six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. I don't want an event like this not to be recognized and remembered. And by the way, if there are people around the country who are listening, you don't have to be from Boston who have been impacted by this event. But I think those of us in Boston were impacted by it more dramatically because all of us have walked that portion of Boylston Street where those bombs went off. People who are listeners and are listening outside of New England, they may never have been to Boston, so I know that they empathize with us as as Americans. But these were people who were willing to just engage in terrorist at activities at the marathon. Twelve years ago today and twelve years ago tonight. This city was in shock, This whole region, this country was in shock. But again, it's the Boston Marathon, and that's what made it so important to all of us. Feel free to join this conversation. If you disagree with me on Boston barber number two getting the death penalty, bring it on. We can talk about it. I can respect your opinion, but I'm more interested in your recollection of the day and what we can do to make sure that something as horrific as that doesn't happen again. I guess there's no way we can guarantee that, but we have to do whatever we can to prevent it from happening again. Back on Nightside, join the conversation. We're here for you. Give us a call back after this. You're on night Side with Dan Ray ONBS Boston's news radio. All right, folks, got to hear from you. Let's go to Scott and Quinn's. Scott, you're next one night Side. Welcome.
Speaker 4: Yes, Dan, good to be here on the show.
Speaker 1: Good to hear your voice. Scott, go right ahead. But I know you work. You work in a hospital, if I'm not mistaken correct, Yes.
Speaker 4: The hospital that was very much involved that day. And yeah, I was on duty and I walk in from having lunch where the mailman in the restaurant says, I think something happened down at the at the finish line. And I get get to the hospital, get in, and I'm handed what's called the BAT phone, which is the phone that my department takes calls from other people in the hospital for for our services with helping with the technology and the and the O R and and that's when the casualties start coming in. So I'm on I'm handling the bat phone and and helping the care teams, you know, with the technology in the rooms, is the casualties are coming in and being treated. But the thing that was most amazing to me is, you know, in ther on a day to day basis, everyone's commitsing, talking, doing doing all the stuff that workers in any other workplace doing, all with doing the amazing work that they do there. And it was like someone flicked a switch and everybody and the entire OAR turned into this machine that responded to this mass casualty event and everyone was just doing incredible work. All the emergency kits came out, all the emergency procedures went into place, and the entire and just seeing it all happen and being there and being a part of it, and you know, getting called to a room to help with this technology or being on the phone and summoning the right people to the right place, and well, the thing's got through it that day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the thing that must have been astonishing was obviously, in any given day, you can have a horrific automobile accident, you can have a shooting somewhere, but the number of people who had to be attended to, you know, Obviously you have you know, four people will three people die at the finish line. So you have the three who die at the finish line. Then you have dozens who come in who have been I mean, I hate to use the word maimed, I mean people who have lost limbs. And then you have people who have other really bad injuries, but they at least it must have been like what it would have been in a mass unit in the.
Speaker 3: Middle of war, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 4: But it was amazing just to see the way my entire organization at the flick of a switch turned from like casual every day doing health care and living life to an amazing emergency response team that just everybody pulled together and got the job done.
Speaker 1: But the root what I'm saying is the routine day that it was up until two forty nine, which you would have had some surgeries, you would have had this and all of that. But all of a sudden, everything is compounded dramatically, and that's what must have been an amazing experience for you. Scott. Thank you for your service, thank you for what you did that day. I'm awfully glad you called because I knew that you had a perspective that probably no one else would have had in my audience, sort of an inside perspective. How long did that work?
Speaker 4: People on the gurneys as they were being wheeled in to be taken care of, they knew that they were in the right place.
Speaker 1: How long did that work? How long Scott? Did that work day continue? Obviously you must have worked well into the most.
Speaker 4: Into the evening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 4: I just from of the faces the most, Oh.
Speaker 1: My god, yeah yeah. And then the people will come out and who are now running the marathon, who lost limbs, people who were ballet dancers, and an amazing group of people. Scott, thank you so much for that recollection. That's an amazing story. Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: All Right, damn, but have a great night.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Christine. Christine, I'd love to know where you were, what your recollection of that horrific day is.
Speaker 6: I was actually in the Faucner Hospital. I had a knoscope that day, and I had just come out of recovery. So they wanted to they told me what they told us what was happening. So they said, would you mind, We're going to get you up moving and we're going to send you home. So I was like, that's fine. They said, all the you know, all of the ambulances, who are going to start calling up and everything. I remember that exactly.
Speaker 1: What what hospital were you locate? Where were you?
Speaker 7: Fuck? U?
Speaker 6: Yeah, they got their stats having patience there.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that that. Yeah, that part Farctor was very close and it's it's it's a it's a well equipped hospital and yeah, I can just imagine they all day. It was going to be all hands on deck. It was an amazing week. It was an amazing week to live in Boston. Between I remember later in the week the car chase. That night I mentioned in the last hour, I went to pick my daughter up at college in Cambridge and uh, it was like I had no idea what was going on, but all I saw was blue lights heading down Memorial Drive. Uh, and it was like, WHOA, what's going on? And then I put two and two together. The shooting of the of the police officer Sean Collier at m I T where they had.
Speaker 6: The all the city all came together and just you know, we all we all just you know, it was amazing how the sating was banner and God bless America that they caught him.
Speaker 1: And I remember I remember the night, well the next day, when they next evening, when they caught him, and I remember the the order that that everybody, you know, shelter in place. I had never heard the term shelter in place before that, and you and it was like you assumed I got to keep a look out the window in case this this guy is going to break into mind. Everybody personalized it. Everyone was unalert And it would be nice if I just wish that somehow in those times of crisis, everybody seems to pull together. But those times of crisis, they they disappeared, they dissipate very quickly, and then we're back at each other's throats. Unfortunately, my heart just.
Speaker 6: Goes out to everyone that was involved, that that got killed. So oh, it's just my heart is so sad, you know.
Speaker 1: Ye again, we have to always honor their memory. I know that there were ceremonies conducted today by officials in the city and from the state, and we we can't ever forget this. I mean, this is this is something as dramatic to us and as personal to us. You know, nine to eleven impacted a lot of families because there were people who had relatives in New York and there were people on those planes from Boston. Yes, but this was we were ground zero. Boston was ground zero for that day. It was thank you.
Speaker 6: I don't know why they're keeping that terrorist alive. I don't understand why has he not dead yet?
Speaker 7: I don't understand at some.
Speaker 1: At some point, I think this administration needs to needs to address that issue, and hopefully they'll address it soon. Thanks Christine, we'll talk soon. Thank you so much. Okay, I got Bill in Chicago waiting, and Bill, if you can hold on, I'll get you right on the other side of the news robber. Just let Bill know he's coming up next. And I got some open lines, folks, Come on, come on, Uh, are your memories that short? You don't recall that day? I don't know six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. What are the lessons of that day? What do we take from that day? Obviously we we hold in high esteem the response, amazing response by police, by fire, by emt UH people on the ground, by doctors, by nurses, people who were called in a moment of crisis and they responded. I'd love to hear from you in your recollection. Uh, and again I'm more than happy to talk about why, twelve years later, the Boston bomber number two, his name will not be mentioned on this program by me. Why Boston bomber number two still sits and gets three square squeeze three meals a day and sleeps in comfort. It is his time should have run out long ago in my opinion, Back on nights Side, right after the news at the bottom of the hour, my name's Dan Ray. The only we got one line at six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty and one at six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. And if they're not filled up by the end of the newscast and one is only one left six one seven, nine three one ten thirty, I would have been disappointed in my audience. Coming back on Nightside, It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio. This is the twelfth anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing. Let me go to Bill in Chicago. Hey, Bill, appreciate you calling in. How are you tonight?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Not too bad and none too bad?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 5: If ahead of time, I get the stories of update that the Irish family about your last name, but I think it's Scottish. Uh, but that's another story. H Look at I lived it on the country, and I've heard people talk about the New York Marathon, the Chicago one. They don't want to California. But my best memory, and I tell people, when did the someone under send at the time the first marathon ran and Bosston? I don't know, but I was ten years old. I lived in Naty and I was I couldn't wait the marathon day because P used to go there and gives slaves oranges and water the runners coming by. It was a hell of a memory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell well, you know, the first Boston Marathon goes back to like eighteen ninety six, I believe, or eighteen ninety seven, So it's been around a long time. And I can't even remember listening as a kid in the nineteen fifties, as a young young kid in the nineteen fifties, on my grandfather's radio he lived in Jamaica plane and my grandmother lived on Jamaica Plane. And it was not on television. I mean, it was just it was just a radio race. And you would hear someone who would be reporting.
Speaker 5: In US, yeah, about the New York and the Chicago. By anyway, I never forget it, and it was a big day in Naty. And the other thing I wanted to say is there were two old runners, Johnny Kelly and Clarence Tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yep, sure, well, well I interviewed Johnny Kelly many times in the nineteen nineteen eighties and into the nineteen nineties. Sure, and never met Clarence Tomorrow because I think he proceeded Johnny Kelly's time. But there was Johnny Kelly and the elder, and then Johnny Kelly the younger. There was the second, Johnny Kelly out of Connecticut, who had the same name, obviously fairly common name, and he I don't think he won it, but you know, Johnny Kelly won the marathon. I'd have to go back and look. But certainly like in the late thirties, early forties, you know, and he was running in those days there was there were no prize money. It was you know, it was uh, you got a a wreath, a victory wreath on your head, uh, and and and a couple of beef stew and that was it, you know. There and there were others, I mean back in the back in the day, there was a guy Tarzan and Brown, and I mean these were guys in the you know, in the long in the way back machine. But yeah, they there's there's been several that that that we remember very well, and certainly Johnny Kelly would be one of them. I'm just looking at the list here. I don't know off the top of my head, but Damar won it. I guess it was seven times in the twenties and thirties. The last time that he won it was nineteen thirty. And then Johnny Kelly comes along and wins it in nineteen thirty five. And he comes back ten years later and wins it in forty five, so you know, he was and then there was a different john j Kelly was the guy from Connecticut. He won it in fifty seven. But Johnny Kelly his record was that he always ranted, and he always competed, and he always finished. He had some sort of a crazy record that he completed in so, you know, completed so many marathons in a row. It was unbelievable. Unbelievable. Bill, Thank you for you listen to us in Chicago every night. Out there, I hope we think we're losing our connection. Are you still there. Bill, Yeah, we lost telling. We lost him. Thank you for calling. Bill, appreciate it. Let him know that we lost him there, Brob please that would be great if you can handle the call from there. I'm gonna move on, Rob, if you want to take it down, Okay, that's fine. We lost him. Okay, let me go next to We're gonna go next to. Let me go to Joe in Boston. Joe, appreciate your calling. And I'm surprised more folks aren't jumping tonight to jump on the lines. Go ahead, Joe. How are you good?
Speaker 3: Good evening? Dan, I'm doing great, not much better now that I'm talking to you. Were you.
Speaker 1: I'm doing great? Were you working that day?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 8: Actually, Dan, it was a funny day because my grandson was actually three years old, and then he's a best friend that was four, and I look into a little park in Jamaica plane and then because my intention originally was to get the two kids at.
Speaker 3: Three in a four year old with me into the finish line. However, the four year old that came with them came with two causes. They were five and six.
Speaker 8: So I say I can handle two kids before is I don't think I want to handle four kids.
Speaker 3: So I used to in Jamaica plane.
Speaker 8: We were by the Southeast Corridor, by the green Stree station there, Yark, So we used to.
Speaker 3: I used stay with the kids there in then once I.
Speaker 8: Was done with them that I was getting them home, I heard it on the radio, and I mean I was, you know, I mean I was numb. I say, he's not here in Boston. I mean, this cannot be. You know, I couldn't believe it. But I couldn't have myself found myself. You know, there were two kids. It would have been a horrible thing they were.
Speaker 1: There were probably a lot of people there, obviously with children, and and that's what really first of all, the use that these guys had the pressure cooker bombs with the I mean with the ball bearings inside, which it just intended to name people to take.
Speaker 3: It main people.
Speaker 8: I mean the Martin Martin kids. I mean, oh my goodness, that kid. I mean that hurt me so about his sister because his sister was made I mean they yeah, you was think you're real bad. And I mean, and I couldn't. I mean, it took me a while. I guess that must be what they call trauma. Or whatever I mean, because I couldn't believe it. I refuse to believe, you know, that I was here in Boston. You know, it was a horrible experience, horrible horror experience. And then on my end, other business end that I drive a lot of people, high end people to and from places. I actually had any student that I overlooked, a student that I was taking care of, busy in the parents. They were calling from Brazil, very wealthy parents. They couldn't work hold of her, but they got home because they got my home number. They were able to talk to me and say, oh no, I talked to the young lady, she's fine. They flew in a day and a half later because they were so worried. They flew in private.
Speaker 3: Of course, I wasn't able to the restaurants in the city.
Speaker 8: They were all closed because they the restaurants they could not get the help to call be in and.
Speaker 3: Work because the transportation was shut down.
Speaker 8: So I was actually able to manage and get them, you know, to restaurants of people that I knew that they were operating, you know, in their experience, was you know okay, because otherwise, I mean it would have been.
Speaker 3: You know, insane, but it was. It was something to remember. I always remember that. I always remember that end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a day that none of us who were here will forget. Uh. And again the fact that it happened in Boston, it's something that we can do in Boston, in.
Speaker 8: Boston, of all places in Boston. About place I was actually when the chief started. I was driving through the bridge the mass have in the bridge to drop off in Cambridge, and I've never seen so many cards with brute eyes going on that direction.
Speaker 3: I was returning from Cambridge and there were all kinds.
Speaker 8: Of vehicles going out that way, and it was because they had the chase going into Watertown that day.
Speaker 3: It was just I mean, it was just so real, so real.
Speaker 1: We will we will talk soon, Okay, and h the Red Sox one tonight, Joe after last night. Unbelievable. Yeah, thanks buddy, Thanks Joe. We'll talk to you again.
Speaker 3: A man. I appreciate your brother.
Speaker 1: I catch you. I have a great night. Good night. Okay, we go take a break. Let's fill up these lines and get everybody in at the end. The only lines that are open around now. We got two at six, one, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty last shot here at your recollection. You're a memory of the marathon from twenty thirteen. It was twelve years ago today. You forget about it, but it was. You forget the date, but you always remember what happened. Feel free to join the conversation. We will spend two hours on this tonight. I uh, it's one of those things that as long as any of us are alive, any of us are alive, it should never be forgotten. We'll be back right after this. It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio. Or have we got room for everyone? So stay right there. I'll get everybody in, starting with Larry down to the Cape. Larry next on Nightside, Welcome back.
Speaker 4: Tough subject, Danne, and I can feal your emotions.
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 4: So can you hear me?
Speaker 1: I can hear you find go right ahead?
Speaker 4: Okay. So back in the late sixties, I lived right in the corner of Brighton AB and Commawealth AB. And I used to enjoy walking over to Karmouth AB watching the run has come because they had just finished Hot Break Hills.
Speaker 1: I remember that, Oh, I remember it very well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, So twelve years ago, I'm at the house. I'm like in Dennis Sport doing the odd work, and my wife is sitting in the neighbor's house and there watching the marathon. She comes running out and she yells at me and she says, oh my god, oh my god, you won't believe what happened. Well, my son, as you know, as a Boston police officer, and we didn't know where along the course he was positioned. We called the phone, you didn't answer. We're holding our breast. We're going nuts. So then she says, we got to get in the car. We got to get out of here. I said why. I don't remember this exactly, but she reminded me there was rumors who were going to blow a ball of bridges, that they blow up the Sagamore Bridge. We're going to be stuck on the cape. Jumping the car and we get in. Finally, after about an hour, we reached my son. He was positioned in Kenmore Square and he started running towards towards everything. But he was okay.
Speaker 3: But what a night.
Speaker 4: I'll hang up and listen to everybody else's story.
Speaker 1: So if you were, if you were on Beacon Street back in the day.
Speaker 4: Well out at the corner of Brighton Avs and Karma and Calma.
Speaker 1: Okay, Brighton and Calm. So you were there in the late sixties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Demmbro Sound was right next to me, remember them.
Speaker 3: Yeah I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So I'm just looking at the list of winners here. Amby Burfoot was a winner in sixty eight. There was a Japanese winner in sixty nine, Yoshi kai Yu and Natani you know those names. Community and so you didn't get to the Billy Rodgers races until seventy five. You get Bill Rodgers had four wins seventy five, seventy eight, seventy nine, and eighty.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was the man. I just used to like to watch him. That's five down because they only had what maybe another couple of miles to the finish line, so they were a.
Speaker 1: Little more than that. Little more than that. That was a good four or five miles from there, because the top of the mark that was about twenty Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I was down right at the curve where curves down over by Buya.
Speaker 1: I think that I watched. I watched I think Rogers in seventy five. I wasn't working in television at the time. I didn't start in TV until seventy six, but I watched Rogers kind of in that location with some friends in nineteen seventy five when he came by Boston, Billy Larry got to keep rolling here, Thank you so much. Is is Jill back safe in Cabul?
Speaker 4: I hope or you know she's here for another two weeks?
Speaker 1: Okay, excellent, excellent. Got to give me a call. Okay, thanks, talk to you later. I have a great mine ooky good back. Let me get Laura Lauro Junior in Lynn Lauro Jr. Welcome back. How are you hey?
Speaker 5: Thank you for the welcome back. I wish your true happiness. I wish all your listener is true happiness. Joe is one of my favorite calls.
Speaker 4: She's so cute.
Speaker 5: I was all they all true happiness. So that day I was I was about to leave my house to go to that to watch the marathon. I was just going to go to the finish line. But I was calling the neshew to see if he wanted to go to lunch. And he hardly never hangs out with me, and I told him, Hey, we're going to go to this restaurant, one of his favorite restaurants, and he's like, okay, let's go.
Speaker 3: So we went.
Speaker 5: I came back home like around one, I laid down and arrested it a little bit. My twin sisters texting me, where are you are you? Okay, well, how are you?
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 5: I'm over here laying down. My cousin in Ohio too, said what's going on over there in Boston. I'm like, I don't know. I'm like, let me put I put it on the TV. Oh whoa wow, Like that was like whoa, I cannot believe. I was about you and my next you said no to me. I was about to leave out of my apartment to go there that day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just funny how decisions have made, Laura. It's as simple as that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Look, I got three more. I got to get to and call early, and I'll give you much more time. Okay, thanks Laura, appreciate the memory. Thank you you too. Have a great night. Okay, gonna try to get three and let me go first to Pete and Revere. Pete next on nightside. You've called a little late, go right ahead.
Speaker 7: Pete just came out to pay my taxes. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but I'm gonna get the two wammies for you. Okay, On that particular day, my son is a professional clown, and he was doing a job for Big Corporation and the Mandarin at the end of the building and the windows right across the street. With the second one went off. We heard the first one, but he was by the window being curious. He put his face on the window to look to the right, and bingo, the second one went off and the here's the good thing. Most of the blast hit the building. That restaurant was destroyed. If you don't know, at the whole front of the restaurant, the cover of the pressure cooker took off like a frisbee right toward him. He watched it almost he went straight up and landed on the roof of the Mandarin, eight eight stories high.
Speaker 3: All right, never knew that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Now, when it's over, they threw everybody out. How would you like to be running or not running but walking dressed as a clown?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 7: Top the bottom?
Speaker 1: Oh my god?
Speaker 7: Yeah, where's here's the best time. He carries a tank of gas to blow up balloons. It's a balloom specialist. It's a bigger than a fifty two. If if you don't about underwater tanks.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 7: Now he's walking with a tank, dressed like a clown. And if you remember, the front page of every magazine and the newspaper showed Boston cops running around with guns up because they don't know what to do a where to go?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 7: I told him. He called me. I said, quick, take go back to the south end, right run down. There's a big, big liquor store. I said, just stay in there. They give you any trouble, attach yourself to a pipe. I said, I'll be there shortly, and and I went to pick him up.
Speaker 1: Good for you.
Speaker 3: Talk about timing, Pete, I got.
Speaker 1: I hate to do this to your man. You called late, but I got two other folks.
Speaker 7: I got to give you something to hear you boys, all right. A friend of yours said, hey.
Speaker 1: Call more off and I know who this is. All right, Pete, thank you much. Doct you assume Rick and Bill Rick and Ricky got to help me out and be quick?
Speaker 9: Yeah? Absolutely. I was leave my friend's house in South Dartmouth. I saw him for the weekend, and I was on the highway at the time that I heard it, and I was listening to b Z radio, which I've been listening to since nineteen ninety two when I was at Framingham State College, so I heard it there and then I had to when I worked for the town of Bedford as a custodian, I had to clean the depot bathroom and then that's where I went after that, and I wasn't able to see it on TV until later on. But later on that week, I remember cleaning the bathroom. I cleaned it a couple of times a week, I think a Monday and a Friday or something, and this woman was freaking out because there's an if sworn caught yet and she was she was walking around that where I was cleaning the bed and she goes, I'm so scared, and I told her to relax. Everything's going to be okay. They're going to catch them and you're gonna be able.
Speaker 3: And they have the.
Speaker 9: Shootout the night before anyway, but she was freaked out, and I just remember telling her everything's going to be okay.
Speaker 1: You just well, that's your voice of reason, that's for sure. Rick, I got to get one more in here. Would you please call a little earlier, say I give you more time, thanks, Matt.
Speaker 2: I tried I'll call.
Speaker 1: Talk to you later. Okay. Scott is in every Scott next on Nightside. I got about twenty seconds for you, Scott. What can you do with it?
Speaker 5: None of the bombing at the race.
Speaker 2: I was homeless, living in a cow listening to it on A ten thirty.
Speaker 5: And my personal about that they you both die?
Speaker 1: Your personal what my personal thought that is?
Speaker 5: You're both be executed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you. On thatt I'm told, well, one has already gone, he's gone to his reward or whatever. Let's put the other guy in the same place. Scott. I appreciate it. Thank you very much. To the callers on the line, I apologize, but I'm flat out of time, flat out of time. Done for the night. Rob, Please explain to them they got to call earlier. All dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's my pal Charlie Rays, who passed fifteen years ago in February. That's where all your pets are her past. They loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see them again. Hope to see you in tomorrow night on Nightside. Everyone want to thank Rob, want to thank Marita, want to thank all the calls even those who called late, and I'd ripe to remind you have a great Wednesday. Everybody will see you tomorrow night. I will be on night Side on Facebook Nightside with Dan Ray on Facebook in about two minutes. I'll see you there. Thanks. Everyone, be safe.