Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six.
Speaker 2: Forty KIM six fortys Later with Mo Kelly, We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. And joining me on this Tech Thursday is none other than our tech pundit. Do not call her a tech expert. Marsha call, You're good to see you.
Speaker 3: Hi, am Moe. How are you doing?
Speaker 4: I'm doing well.
Speaker 2: It's always good to see you because not only am I talking to you, I also learned something from you every single time you're here.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I learned something this week, and it strikes me as how did I not know this was a thing. Have you ever been on a call with someone and said to yourself, now, if I could just get my wife on this call, then I could.
Speaker 3: Explain this better.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I know exactly what you mean.
Speaker 3: Conference call? Were you aware how easy that is?
Speaker 6: It?
Speaker 2: Seemingly it's never easy for me, and I would like to think myself as phone literate, I will hang up on your ass and a heartbeat unintentionally, of course, but trying to get that third call in.
Speaker 3: Okay, I picture this. I'm in a rapidly bad tech support situation.
Speaker 5: I have a friend who like builds quantum computers and crap like that for the vernment. You know, he has all the words. So I text him and I said, I'm on the phone. I got help.
Speaker 3: Can you help me?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: Put me in on the call? And I go, oops, how do you do that? And so I google it real fast? And it was so easy. And I mean for me, I've been and I've been.
Speaker 5: Using phones for miss iPhones, Android phones forever.
Speaker 3: So I have to tell you, mo, this is how easy it is.
Speaker 4: Okay, change my fix my life. Marshall Collier.
Speaker 5: Okay, you'd have to be on a call with somebody, okay, and it's so easy and okay, so you call.
Speaker 2: No, no, we're gonna do this, all right, let me see them. You can pull up Marcia Callier here. No, no, no, this is this is live radio. That's the best part.
Speaker 3: We're going to put too well on the car.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's exactly what we're gonna do, and hopefully we'll do this correctly. I'm trying to call Marsha right now. Hopefully I'll be able to do it. We don't usually have good service in here. It's calling all right, I'm calling Marshall Collier.
Speaker 3: It's not ringing on my We're twelve twelve inches away from me.
Speaker 2: I guess she doesn't want to pick up. She's screening my call live on radio and not picking up.
Speaker 3: But sorry, Mo, you're called in.
Speaker 2: No, it's the problem we have. It's only because in the studio you're probably not getting reception.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We then there's a lot of electronics.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, do I have more than one number on you? Maybe I just called the wrong number. Okay, let me try this number. Okay, that's something. Okay, Well, how you doing?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: We are now connected. Let's see if we can dial in to Wala. Okay, walk us through it.
Speaker 3: Look at your phone, tap the word more more tap ad call.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, I'm adding a call and I can dial to Wala right right, Okay, I am dying to Wala.
Speaker 4: It says conference call. Oh my goodness. Okay. So are we also hearing each other?
Speaker 3: Wat feedback?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, feedback?
Speaker 3: But like children, So.
Speaker 2: Twala you can hear Marsha and you can hear me. Yeah, okay, Oh wow, that is easy.
Speaker 3: How easy?
Speaker 6: Thank you? Tuala.
Speaker 2: I get off my phone, Twala. So it's only really hitting two buttons.
Speaker 3: How simple is that. I couldn't believe how easy.
Speaker 4: I thought I had to like four or five different.
Speaker 5: Right right, And I mean I didn't even hear the call that was going on because I'm going.
Speaker 6: So I just hit the three buttons more AD call, dial number or type NME.
Speaker 2: And automatically conferences. There's nothing I have to do after that magic. Like I said at the beginning of the segment, I always learn something from Marshall Collier, but.
Speaker 3: I just learned it this week.
Speaker 5: And you know now on some of them, on other phones, you may have to tap the word merge. Ah uh huh, you know some ad call some you know, it depends on that.
Speaker 2: That's what I remember where there was an extra step, yeah, merging the call, and you'd hear one person but not the other person, and then you have to start all the way over.
Speaker 4: It was never easy. Now it's finally easy.
Speaker 5: Well it was easy, but I'm sure you know if it's another brand of phone or some other then you'd have to right after ad call where MO typed in Touala's number, then when Twala answered, you do have to tap merge.
Speaker 2: And it may have that extra step, especially we're all android in this particular moment. But if it doesn't play nice with an iPhone.
Speaker 5: Well, the person that I called onto the tech call, help me, help me. I have to yell at this guy and I don't know the right words.
Speaker 3: And it was my phone. It was that easy.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's good to know.
Speaker 3: It was shocking, So there you go.
Speaker 2: I usually do not do conference call because I'm always worried about dropping someone or in previous years it was much more complicated, And from now.
Speaker 5: On, to be perfectly honest, I'm going to use it more often because I hate that group texting nonsense.
Speaker 3: Sorry folks, anybody who likes that.
Speaker 5: I don't like group text from a bunch of people when I want to be talking to people. I want to be talking to people. When I don't want to be talking to people. You know, I won't answer back.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: For group texts, I don't mind it, especially because I have an ongoing group text for like Towall and some other nerds. We talk about things to talk about movies, Mark Ronner and so forth and Stefan. I don't mind it because I think, for the most part in my group text everyone is relatively respectful and not just filling up your phone with thirty five hundred texts. Now, there are some people who don't understand the social etiquette of it all, but I know, and you know most people can. You can have that the singular person response right exactly or does good to everybody and where.
Speaker 5: And also they don't expect you to answer right away. That's another thing about texting. Sometimes I can't just answer. Sometimes in the mid I'm in the middle of writing or actually doing something, so I can't answer. And people have to understand that the answer is going to come in fifteen minutes, maybe twenty minutes.
Speaker 4: Some people or put it away.
Speaker 2: The people who really know me, people who are friends with me, understand that, and I don't have to explain that to them. There are other people who may not know me as well and know me from a distance. I was telling you all about this someone who had met at an event and I gave my information to and that they wanted me to do some stuff with them with their organization. And they were texting the hell out of me, sending me this this, and I just after a certain point I said, just email to Wallach because they were not respecting the social etiquette of you're sending me your texting me all the damn time.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, there's also two different kinds of textures in these days. They are the one liners one line tech send, then they type another line send, Oh there's.
Speaker 4: Someone in my family just about that.
Speaker 3: Just give it all to me, please, right, give me a friggin paragraph. You can even make a return in the.
Speaker 2: Para because I get three different buzzes because it's three different messages as opposed to just giving me one message, right, and then I can respond to the to the fullness of that one message exactly and.
Speaker 5: That person at the other end. Some If you're a one liner, just think about how many times you've sent that one line and you go, oh, no, that's not really what I thought.
Speaker 3: If you would sent a full paragraph, you could have edited.
Speaker 5: Now, if you're not using the little microphone to dictate your texts, I think you're missing out on something.
Speaker 2: All speech to text is a godsends.
Speaker 5: And for those of you who don't know when you go to text someone or even write an email, I've started using it on emails and this is not AI. We're going to talk about AI real quick and how much space it takes up on your.
Speaker 3: Phone, but it just on Android products.
Speaker 5: This is in the cloud. It is not residing on your phone. In other words, you do not have extra stuff on your phone that gets eaten up. Just go to the typing page. You see the keypad. There's a little microphone on the right. Tap that, not the one that's a little higher up, because that's for sending a voice recording, the one below. Just tap it and everything you'll say. If you're not listening to the radio in the background, you kind of have to mute. That will pick up whatever you say and correct it and spell it right.
Speaker 4: My mother swears by it.
Speaker 2: That's the only way she texts me speech to text, and I can tell because she tries to curse, and I.
Speaker 4: Know she did not say ducking.
Speaker 3: What kind of phone does your mom have?
Speaker 2: She it's a Samsung Note. I don't know which one, but I'm pretty sure it's that.
Speaker 5: Well, okay, so each Galaxy, each random phone has their own thing on the pixel. I'll usually get the first letter asterisk asterisk asha.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I don't have any type of profanity filter on mind.
Speaker 5: I didn't put it on there. Anybody else here have a phone that has a profanity filter.
Speaker 4: It would cut the volume of my text roughly in half.
Speaker 2: We got to go to a quick break ground and come back with you. We can pick this up in just a moment. It's Later with mo Kelly. My guest in studio is Marsha Collier as we talk about all things tech on this Thursday.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty and.
Speaker 2: It's Tech Thursday, and of course that means Marsha Callure joins me in studio. Marsha, I learned something from you last segment, as I do each and every week, I learned how to successfully complete a three way call without dropping someone on the first try.
Speaker 6: I don't think that has ever happened in my tech life. What else do you have for We give you the real deal here this one. This tip is one of my favorites. By the way, you might remember, my book Android Smartphones for Seniors for Dummies came out on December fifth, and even though Amazon had some sort of weird the logistics issues with the inventory, it has been selling very well. So I wanted to give you one of the tips from the book so you can see the kind of magic like Mo and I talk about here. If you're a woman or if you're a guy and you hear a little thing, go keep beep beep, and it's either on your person, in your pocket, in your in your wallet, in your purse. I mean, it can be anywhere my purse. Well, if it's a woman or no, excuse me, folks, Yes there's man purses too. Anyway, this might indicate that you have on you a tracker. Yes, that somebody has placed on you. So if you have an Android phone, go into settings and look for unknown tracker alerts. Supposedly the noise you just heard was a tracker. But even if you don't hear that and you suspect every once in.
Speaker 5: A while, not a bad idea to go do this because you can start a manual scan that will try to scan the area around you to see if there is a tracking device.
Speaker 2: If there is one, and I may be jumping ahead of you, so please excuse me. Is there any way to find out where it might originate?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's where this is where we're going.
Speaker 5: So if it says, oh look I've found an Apple air tag, woo, it has the thing that says play sound Now, you may be scared to press that because you don't know if somebody else is around, or you don't want them to know or whatever.
Speaker 3: But don't worry.
Speaker 5: The owner of the tracking device is not notified when you play the sound, so the sound is merely for you. So you can dig through your purse, your suitcase, you're, you're whatever until you find it. Now, the best part this is magic. Nobody knows this, but I'm telling you now because I think that's so cool.
Speaker 3: I've tried it everywhere.
Speaker 5: Take if it's an air tag, take the tag and put the white side of the tag on the back of your Android phone, and obviously if you have a phone case, take it off. It'll work better, and you will see the tag's serial number and the last few digits of the owner's phone phone number.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: Now this should help you easily identify the owner. And likely it's always somebody you know. It's always somebody you know. Right, Oh, my my voice is recovering from the flu or whatever. But anyway, Yeah, so this is a way that you can There will be instructions from Apple. It'll go to an Apple page when you get to about this air tag with the serial number et cetera. And the phone number not full phone number, just partial. It'll give you instructions how to disable the tractor tracker without notifying the owner. And on the other end the owner, we'll only see the last known location of the tracker, and obviously, if you feel unsafe, call the authorities. I personally would drive over to the local police station and destroy it there so they'd know that was the last location.
Speaker 2: Now, that is another great tip, especially as we talk about these trackers, which are obviously being used more and more for all sorts of reasons.
Speaker 3: We got time from one quick one.
Speaker 5: Yes, sure, okay, there was just an update on hold on iPhones. iPhones iOS eighteen point three introduces something new called visual intelligence. I don't know, I read the thing. What it seems to do is exactly the same AI that all the other phones I've had. Ooh, look it's an Apple and it says fruit at the bottom of the camera and you paint Google lens just like Google ones. Yep, so Apple iPhones are always behind us. They can't catch up for some reason. Well, this brilliant piece of visual intelligence is installed on the iPhone sixteen and fifteen Pro and Max models. This is for iOS eighteen point three. And guess what it takes up seven gigabytes of storage, which on your phone? Yes, on iPhone. This stuff is stored on the phone, not in the cloud.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, new, Okay, let me just play Devil's Advocate. At least it's if it's on the phone. In theory, the data that it collects stays on the phone and not sent out.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 5: No, because reason it's kept on your phone is because it's so intensive that the best it probably couldn't work as well through the cloud because there'd be the time gap of going to the sky yet wherever it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So if you have an iPhone and you really don't care if you turn your camera to a cat and it says cat at the bottom of the picture, if this is not important to you, you can quickly and easily remove this. Open the settings app on your iPhone, scroll down and select Apple Intelligence and Siri and just toggle off Apple Intelligence. Confirm turn off Apple Intelligence when prompted, and it will disable the services and they will. You won't have the advanced writing and photo editing tools. I mean, don't we have too many tools for photo editing?
Speaker 4: We do, We have more than enough to put it that way.
Speaker 3: I mean, you don't even know what.
Speaker 5: To do anymore, so you probably don't need this. I'm not a big fan of a lot of AI on my phone, mainly because my phone's been working well for me in the past. I don't need to give any more permissions.
Speaker 2: So that's it for Marshall Cary. Great information, great insight. Always look forward to talking to you and learning from you. And I guess we're going to do this again next week, right, if you're good.
Speaker 4: Okay, I was gonna say you kept me. Wait, it's like this is pregnant. Pause.
Speaker 2: It's like I think she's just quitting this show right on the spot. Car You're always good to see you.
Speaker 3: Thank you, MO. No need to keep hit and refreshed.
Speaker 4: We got this, k F I'm kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Live
Speaker 1: Everywhere on the Younger radiop