Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy Kick.
Speaker 1: Good morning. It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Monday, September thirtieth, last day of September.
Speaker 3: You know that means less than three months till Christmas. I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app radio app.
Speaker 3: So glad that you're getting your day started with us.
Speaker 1: Went over the edge on Friday, fundraiser for Union Rescue Mission.
Speaker 3: It was a drop so nice.
Speaker 1: I did it twice. I'll tell you about that coming up in a little bit.
Speaker 3: The second time. I took a friend with me.
Speaker 1: Also, we're gonna be telling you kind of rehash what happened and say right now, thank you, think you, think you, thank you, thank you to anyone who donated.
Speaker 3: We're still taking donations.
Speaker 1: And we're getting really, really, really close to our goal. Also, our friend Colonel Nickhaigu, who we've talked to on Wakeup Called several times, has begun his six month mission at the International Space Station. He launched from Cape Canaveral on Saturday and has now arrived at the space station.
Speaker 3: Here's what's ahead on wakeup call.
Speaker 1: The fire burning and the San Bernardino Mountains has flared up, forcing new evacuations. The fire was burning toward seven Oaks and mandatory evacuations were ordered late yesterday afternoon. Angelus Oaks, about ten miles away, is under an evacuation warning. Israel says it has killed a second Hesbal law leader as it continues to pound Lebanon. The IDF posted on social media that Nabille Coupe was directly engaged in terrorist attacks. Haug's death comes two days after IDF airstrikes killed Hezbollah leader Hassan Nozralla. We're going to get the latest on that with ABC's Jordana Miller. That's coming up in less than five minutes. Vice President Harris had some star power on hand for a fundraiser in la and raked in the cash. She raised twenty eight million dollars at the event in downtown yesterday. Elenis Morrissett halle Berry performed at the fundraiser, in which tickets went for between five hundred dollars and just under a million dollars. The people who paid the most were listed as event chairs and got to be at a reception with Harris and apparently some other perks as well. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Officials in North Carolina are working to get water and other supplies to areas devastated by what was Hurricane Helene. The storm left a trail of destruction across the Southeast, killing more than ninety people across several states. Millions of people are still without power. A county manager in North Carolina, April Pinder, says officials are doing what they can to get help to where it's needed.
Speaker 3: We need food and we need water. My staff has been making every request possible to the state for support, and we've been working with every single organization that has reached out.
Speaker 1: A lot of areas that are left isolated by floodwaters. Forecasters say a new tropical depression in the eastern Atlantic could become a hurricane by the middle of the week. President Biden is set to visit the Southeast this week. In a statement yesterday, the White House said Biden intends to travel to the hurricane impacted areas, but will do so when it will not disrupt emergency operations. A California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection employee charged with starting five brushfires in northern California spent months as an inmate firefighter. He had been convicted of causing a fatal crash in San Bernardino in twenty sixteen while he drove intoxicated. Robert Hernandez was arrested just over a week ago for allegedly starting the fires. He worked as an apparatus engineer, operating and maintaining fire engines and water tanks during emergency responses.
Speaker 4: Four three two one, big technical power and with.
Speaker 2: Crude eye.
Speaker 1: SpaceX has sent a rocket into space that will be the ride home for two astronauts stuck on the International Space Station since June. The Dragon capsule docked at the space station yesterday, carrying NASA's Colonel Nick Haig and Russian astronaut Alexander Gerbonov. Haig said before the launch that they were going up with two empty seats for Butch Willmore and Sunny Williams.
Speaker 5: We've been on orbit months already, and one of the biggest challenges ahead for Alex and I. One of the most exciting aspects is how are we going to integrate into their crew.
Speaker 1: The Dragon Capsule is set to return to Earth early next year. Wilmore and Williams went to space on the Boeing Starliner, but couldn't return on the craft because of thruster failures and helium leaks. La County has taking a step toward removing illegal cannabis dispensaries from online search engines.
Speaker 6: The Pew Research Center says there are more than fifteen hundred cannabis dispensaries in La County, about ten percent of all of them in the US, but the state's Department of Cannabis Control reports only three hundred and eighty four dispensaries in the county are legally licensed. The La County Board of Supervisors voted last week they have county attorneys report back with info on whether it's possible to have the illegal ones taken off search engines. The motion says the county once Google, YELP and others to remove the illegal dispensaries because their product isn't regulated and they don't pay taxes. In downtown La Michael monks Kfi News.
Speaker 1: Former President Trump has criticized Vice President Harrison immigration while at a rally in Pennsylvania. He told supporters yesterday, the policies of the Biden Harris administration have left thousands of terror have let thousands of terrorists into the country.
Speaker 7: You know, I had one year where border patrol said no terrorists came in. I had another year where they said eleven came in. Thousands of terrorsts are pouring into our country now.
Speaker 1: He says the border was much more secure when he was President. Drum's comments followed Vice President Harris's visit to the border in Arizona. She says she will reform America's border security with common sense approaches.
Speaker 3: It's five oh seven on your Monday morning.
Speaker 1: Wake up call at say good morning to ABC's Georgia or Jordanah Miller in Jerusalem, Jordana. The Israeli military is not letting up on the gas at all. Just two days after they took out the leader of Hesbalah in an air strike, they struck again.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: It has been uh, you know, incredibly fast paced weekend from the assassination of a lead long time later three years half in Estralla to carrying out widespread and in ten strikes on the Uti rebels in Yemen. That's almost one thousand miles away from Israel's border, but we saw dozens of fighter jets taking part in that. Remember, Israel had a score to settle with the UTIs. They've been firing really since October on Israeli cities on cargo shipping in the Red Sea, sometimes killing people, doing damage to those shipping those cargo shipping lanes. And recently three of their missiles made it through Israel's air defense systems and crashed down in Israel, and there was a drone that hit and killed one Israeli. So Israel had vowed to respond to the Jutis, and this is it. They went and carried out bombing raids on the port, but the Huts used to get their weapons from Iran, and they carried out strikes on some fuel depots and power grids, and you know, by all measures, this was really an impressive operation given that, you know, again it is very far from Israel's borders, and I think that was the message that Israeli leaders and not only the Prime Minister but also the Defense minister. You know, they wanted to send veiled messages really to Iran that you know, wherever you are, if you're enemy, we can reach you and strike you. And that that was a message I think that that the leaders were making towards Iran as Iran vows to avenge some of their military leaders that were killed when Hastin Nosrala was taken out over the weekend.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was just going to ask you what is the response from Iran, Ben, because I think that Israel has shown several times over the last few months that they can go in and almost precision target certain people. They've you know, they've done that in Beirut, they did it.
Speaker 4: With the turned Damascus, they did it.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Iran is saying, hey, watch out, We're going to retaliate, but they're being kind of vague.
Speaker 4: Right, I mean, Iran is saying, you know, the assassination of the Sorella won't go unanswered, and the killing of some of their top commanders in that same strike, you know, will they will respond to it. But Iran been very careful not to telegraph or announce that they're going to do a direct strike on Israel. I think there's debate inside Iran's top leadership about what to do next. Right, that huge attack on Israel and April was a major, major failure. Israel and the Allies shot down most of those missiles and UH cruise missiles and drones, and so I don't think Iran's gonna do a repeat of that. But clearly this is another major setback for Iran. UH. You know, after Israel assassinated a small honeya UH in Tehran. Although they didn't claim that strike, it's clear they were behind it.
Speaker 1: UH.
Speaker 4: And now they've dealt major blows to Hasbala, which is supported and funded by Iran. I mean, this is their terrorist proxy, if you will, in Lebanon. They've invested billions and they've seen their proxy suffer major defeats in the last two weeks. Now it has has Balah been you know, has has Bala been defanged entirely. No, they still have lots of capabilities and Israel's been clear to say that and they're going to continue striking has Bala. But Iran I think it's trying to figure out exactly how it's going to respond given you know, the threats, and clearly the Iranians are nervous that if they do something big, that Israel will carry out strikes on Iranian soil.
Speaker 1: And then the other thing that is still being talked about Jordana is that a senior US official is saying that Israel is getting ready for a ground encourasion into Lebanon. So what would the goal of being of putting troops across the border be. It wouldn't be to keep and occupy that territory or anything, right, Well, it's.
Speaker 4: Unclear, and I think that's a good question. First of all, it is very clear that the Israelis are getting ready for a ground operation in southern Lebanon. They're talking about it, They're openly talking about it, and so it is clearly now you know, one of the options that Israel could move on in the coming days, we could see them move into southern Lebanon. We know from US and Israeli sources that already ground for special operations. Small units are going back and forth over the border into Lebanon doing reconnaissance and other operations there. Because Hasbullah abandoned the area right along the border, They've moved out a few kilometers, so Israel appears to be clearing out the area right around the border for a possible incursion being would be of course, and it's not sure, We're not clear how long. But Israel wants to go in and clear out for up to ten miles on the other side of the border. They want to destroy Hasbula's military assets there, the rocket launchers, the weapons, you know, the bunkers, the watch towers. They want to just destroy all of the military infrastructure that Hesbala has spent more than a decade building up in southern Lebanon and often around villages and inside villages, inside home.
Speaker 3: So just basically creating a buffer.
Speaker 4: Zone, right right, Well, we're not clear if Israel would hold on to a buffer zone temporarily or permanently. It is one of the options because Israel, of course wants to make sure that Habela doesn't come back in and pose a threat to its northern residence. Right, so holding a buffer security buffer is likely, you know, one of the plans, but we don't know how wide or how long they.
Speaker 5: Would hold that buffer for.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we will be watching Jonona Miller in Jerusalem. Thank you so much for the update. As always, we appreciated a ton.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Beverly Hills police say the fatal stabbing of a man witnesses say was being aggressive and tried to grab a toddler was done in self defense. A guy who tried to help Saturday says the attacker had an empty look on his face and was clearly having a psychotic break or drug reaction. The father who was confronted got into a fight with the man and ended up stabbing him. A man's behind bars on suspicion of stabbing his girlfriend to death at a home in Simi Valley, Lease, thirty four year old Raymond Revas stabbed his girlfriend in the face, chest, and abdomen Friday night in front of her five children.
Speaker 3: He was arrested. He was on.
Speaker 1: Post release community supervision at the time of the murder. That means he's also accused of violating the terms of his probation. Revs is expected in court tomorrow. A chaotic scene unfolded in San Bernardino late Saturday night after a street takeover ended with a crash. Video footage shows a pickup truck colliding with a tree. Police arrested two men. Several others were taken to hospitals. Further details about the street takeover, including the number of cars involved and the cause of the crash, have not yet been released.
Speaker 7: I've seen the Morning, Burning Gold and all the Mountain the.
Speaker 1: Sky singer songwriter Chris Christopherson has died. A family spokeswoman says Christopherson died Saturday at his home in Hawaii. He was known for his country music, but also for acting. He played the leading Mansite opposite Barbara streisand in A Star Is Born and Ellen Burnston and Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. He also did shootout westerns and cowboy dramas, and was a Rhodes scholar who knew Chris Christopherson was eighty eight. About fifty first responders from Orange County Fire Authority have traveled to North Carolina to assist with Hurricane Helene relief efforts. The team's going to be doing search and rescue, urban searches and evacuations. We're going to be talking with ABC's Jim Ryan in just a second get the latest on relief and rescue efforts. A security guard on a Metrolink train has been stabbed. It happened last night, just before ten, as a train was rolling into the Vincent Grade Station and Act in Palmdale. Police say the guard was able to subdue the stabber until police got there and took the guy into custody.
Speaker 3: The guard's conditions not known. Train service was interrupted for about an hour.
Speaker 1: NASA commander Nick Haig and his Russian cosmonaut colleague have begun their six month mission on board the International Space Station following a successful SpaceX launch from Cape Canaveral's Saturday. Two other astronauts got bumped from the trip to make room for Sonny Williams and Butch Wilmore to come back with them. In February, of course, their ride, the Boeing Starliner, came back to Earth with no crew on board because of some safety concerns with the capsule. Let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. Jim, the storm has passed, but the effects of the storm remain.
Speaker 9: Yes. In fact, I just looked at the National Hurricane Center map and Holleen doesn't show up there at all. That means it's fizzled out to nothing, essentially, kind of a low pressure zone and that's it. But we're also watching a couple of other disturbances out there in the in the Caribbean. That's where there's a a has a chance of growing into the next tropical storm and moving into the Gulf. There's one called a tropical depression out there. Joyce is the name of that one, and then one that only has a number at this point. So suddenly the tropics have gotten very, very active and the Atlantic is beginning to roil up some of these big storms.
Speaker 3: When is what is the dates of hurricane season?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 3: I can't remember. It's like August Law generally.
Speaker 9: Goes to November one, So yeah, it starts in the summer, it goes all the way to November first, But there's nothing to say. And I've covered hurricanes that came closer to Christmas than to November first. It's that's kind of the bracket that the National Hurricane Center puts around it.
Speaker 1: And this year there was a lot of talk that it was going to be an incredibly active storm season. Has it been so far, because if we're just up to j now.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, you're right. And the last year, I think maybe the year before we ran out of letters, right, they had to go to I think the Greek alphabet or something. But so we are we're kind of at the middle of the alphabet if you gauge the number of storms by that system of numbering them. But you know, we had that month long lull too where nothing was happening out there, and now suddenly it's gotten really active again. So yeah, this was predicted to be a historically busy and active Atlantic hurricane season and now it's kind of shaping up that way. If you like, at the map right now, with one, two, three, five different areas on this big map of the whole Atlantic.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's go back to Helene. We know that, unfortunately, dozens of people have been killed. I'm seeing numbers as high as like one sixteen. That's not official yet that we know of. What are the fatalities from.
Speaker 9: Well, in many of the cases, you get flooding rains coming in that weakens the root system of even healthy trees. Trees fall, and people die in many cases from that from trees falling on their homes around them. We're going to have drowning fatalities, especially in a place like Ashville, which now is underwater. Essentially a beautiful town. You know, it's the city, it's almost ninety one ninety two thousand people and it's more or less underwater, so those drowning fatalities are happening there. But the longer we go without electricity, the longer and the greater the damage or danger from dying from carbon monoxide poisoning because you're using a generator or electrical equipment that powers people's medical supply start to run out, medical devices, they start to die, and so you know, that's why job number one is trying to get the power back on. And if you look right now, there are still one hundred and thirty thousand people in Florida without electricity. Florida was the point of landfall, but the worst of the damage has been done to the north of there, Georgia, the Carolinas. In North Carolina, five hundred thousand homes and businesses are without power, seven hundred and fifty thousand in South Carolina. So getting that power back on is really key to starting a recovery process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I've seen several interviews Jim with people over the weekend as I was watching news shows and stuff. They were saying and they were in the storm's path, but they said they were caught off Guard and didn't think that the storm would hit them that hard. I mean, what else could officials have done. They said, get the heck out go now.
Speaker 9: Well they did, and you know Florida, they absolutely evacuation orders were posted and people were heating those evacuations. But Asheville, North Carolina, is three hundred miles away from the nearest shoreline, three hundred miles and so living that far inland, people think, and there's no way I'm going to get any damage or feel the effects of hurricane or tropical storm Halllene. Remember that they'd already had a lot of rain in that area before, and so it didn't take much to tip the scale. And when Helene comes in with ten or twelve inches of rain added on to what was already happening out there in the mountains, you get this flooding effect. So I think you're right. I think it was an effect of people not simply believing that they could be impacted by this. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have a good friend who is in just outside of Greenville, South Carolina, and they said that they were in the eye for a while and it had diminished it was tropical storm at that point, but still they they're way inland and they ended up in the eye of the storm. They lost some pretty big, big, huge trees on their property, but otherwise they lucked out.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well right, and you just don't think about that about especially from a Gulf hurricane. Maybe that was why people were in a little complacent maybe up there in the Carolinas. If you have a hurricane coming in from the Atlantics, coming straight in to the west from the Atlantic, sure you can anticipate some damage or some deaths. But this one came up from the Gulf of Mexico, hundreds and hundreds of miles away. The power outages extend from the southern tip of Florida all the way up to Ohio. That's what eight hundred miles. So a large and very damaging storm.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the big thing now is getting that power back on. It's like two million people are still in.
Speaker 9: The dark, correct, about two million right now? And look at the bout getting supplies out there, and in many cases that has to be done by helicopter because these areas are caught off physically, the roads and bridges have been washed away, and you also have no cell service, internet service. So for right now, I mean the number of people unaccounted for is still quite high, but simply because they can't be reached right and once once cell service is restored, once people have power back on, then they'll be able to check in with their friends or with the Red Cross or whoever, and those numbers will begin to fall. But unfortunently, we probably will have more fatalities, all right.
Speaker 3: And as the cleanup continues, we're going to keep our eyes on.
Speaker 9: Choice, yep, choice out there.
Speaker 3: ABC's Jim Ryan, thank you so much, appreciated as always, Thanks Amy, all right.
Speaker 1: New mandatory evacuations have been ordered in the San Bernardino Mountains because of a wildfire flare up. The community of Seven Oaks is now being threatened by the fire that has burned more than forty thousand acres since September fifth. The fire is more than eighty percent surrounded, but fire activity picked up in two areas over the weekend, and evacuation warning has been issued for Angelus Oaks and the Boulder Bay area of Big Bear as well. Night flying helicopters were working in an area west of Seven Oaks last night but had to stop because of poor visibility. A lawyer in Houston, Texas says his firm is representing more than one hundred people who claim they were sexually assaulted and abused by Sean Combs. Attorney Tony Busby says some of his clients were miners at the time of the assaults. Combs was arrested two weeks ago following a federal indictment for racketeering and sex trafficking.
Speaker 3: He's still in custody. He has pleaded not guilty.
Speaker 1: Sunday has marked the end of an era for a Major League Baseball team in California.
Speaker 10: Ball club named Oakland Athletics is officially no more. They closed out on the road beating the Seattle Mariners in their season finale. Now, when the twenty twenty five MLB season begins, the A's will still exist, but the name Oakland will no longer be there. A's manager Mark Cottsey says that his jersey is going to the Baseball Hall of Fame. The A's played their final home game in Oakland on Thursday, where Kotze gave an emotional final speech.
Speaker 2: This is where home began, and this is hopefully where home finishes.
Speaker 3: Could be more proud to represent this organization.
Speaker 10: Next season will be played in Sacramento. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: The A's new ballpark is supposed to be ready to go in Las Vegas in twenty twenty eight when we come back.
Speaker 3: I know we talked about it a lot.
Speaker 1: Long Beach police are on high alert following four stabbings in twelve hours. The first happens Saturday night along pch during a fight between a group of people. Two more stabbing happened a couple hours later, within thirty minutes of each other. The last one happened early yesterday at the same place as one of the other stabbings, but apparently it wasn't related. Patrols have been increased in the areas in response. The death toll from Hurricane Helene is up around one hundred across four states. North Carolina has been one of the hardest hit areas, with officials calling the destruction of biblical proportions. In the city of Ashville, homes and buildings have been flattened, roads have been washed away, and much of the cities without power. Food and water is being shipped in, and power crews are working around the clock to get the power back on. Back to back earthquakes have rattled the Southland. The US Geological Survey says a three point two magnitude quake hit off the coast of Malibu shortly after two point thirty on Saturday, followed by another three point two a half hour later between Fontana and Rancho kukamonga. Time's running out. It could be a major port strike coming up this week. That's coming up at six oh five with Handle on the news, and at five point fifty, we're gonna dig.
Speaker 3: A little deeper into our buddy, Colonel.
Speaker 1: Nick Haig, who is a Space Force Guardian and now the commander of a mission to the International Space Station and it's going to be spending the next six months up there.
Speaker 3: We've talked to him several times.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a little look back at some of the conversations that we've had with him, because it's quite a fascinating journey. As you know, I went over the edge on Friday to raise money for the Union Rescue mission, and I'm right out of the gate just want to say thank you, thank you, thank you to anybody who donated. We so so so appreciate your your efforts and we know that this is your hard earned money and you're choosing to trust us that we're giving you good information, that this is a good organization to donate to. And I'm telling you that people at Union Rescue Mission are actually made a difference. And so thank you so much for your donations. We so appreciate it. Neil Sevadra and I both went over, and I haven't talked to Neil since then, but I hear that he said it was fun, but he's a one and done and he doesn't plan on doing that again.
Speaker 3: Now I went over the edge.
Speaker 1: So we're up on top of the Hilton at Universal Studios and it's twenty five stories up and it's a little bit intimidating, and so they do all the training before you go over. They get you in all your rigging, and they do your safety checks and all of that stuff. But at the whole time we're getting ready to do this, and Nick Pouliochini was with me. He was basically filming my little adventure on Friday, and I just had this pit in my stomach, like, Okay, I'm about to just like go dangle off off a building about three hundred feet in the air. But it once you get over the edge and start not repelling but you start lowering yourself down, it is it's a hoot.
Speaker 3: And it was.
Speaker 1: It was fun and it was exhilarating and we got to the bottom and I went, this was so great. And then after talking to some of the people at the Union Rescue Mission and talking to Nick, who you're there.
Speaker 3: Right, Nick? Yeah, I'm here, Yeah, I'm here.
Speaker 1: And after I was like, you know, this was really fun and Nick said, oh, yeah, that looks like fun. I go, well, do you want to go? And he said, well yeah. So I went and talked to our friends at the Union Rescue Mission. I said, I'm going to try to raise some more money. Can Nick go with me and I'll go again? And so they worked it out so we got to go back on Saturday and we both got to go.
Speaker 2: Down and it was absolutely incredible and it was everything that Amy said more so, I can't even begin to describe. When you are going down, you know, twenty six stories from the top, and you have the reflection of the one on one the Hollywood Freeway of a building behind you, and you have nothing but you know the Hollywood Hills and just you and you know the background of something that you've grown up and just you know, you've driven the car up and down that the Coanga Pass. It's incredible just being it's a view of Hollywood that you would have never experienced. And to be able to see that point of view of a place that you have traveled many many times throughout your lifetime and be able to not only see that and then know that that is also a unique perspective. And being able to support a unique charity and to support a really good cause at the same time. It was just a really really cool experience.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: So tell us how nervous you were, because the first time I went right I was.
Speaker 3: I was hoping I wouldn't cry, but.
Speaker 2: I did, you know, and I have to say because you and I were there along, and I think that was the unique thing is I went through every single step of the process with you from getting gear on on Friday, and so I was there. I just didn't do any of it with you on Friday. I was there when you put your gear on. I went through all four safety checks with you, and they were extremely thorough every step of the way. We did everything together. I just didn't go over the edge on Friday. I went over the edge to do on Saturday.
Speaker 3: And here's what's cool too.
Speaker 1: When you go over the edge, you're you're repelling down, although it's not it's different than rock climbing repelling, but you're basically you can walk down the building or you can just kind of.
Speaker 3: Just kind of go down and not touch the building at all.
Speaker 1: So I was trying to walk down the building and then at some point I got turned around because if you the ropes are far enough for a way that if you lose your footing kind of you're turned around. And I was like, okay, and I was trying to scramble to turn around and look at the building again, and then I thought, well, dang, this is.
Speaker 3: A great view.
Speaker 1: So I just kept going down and down as I was looking out over the hills, which was which was fun too.
Speaker 3: And then tell me about the first time you looked down.
Speaker 2: The first time I looked down, it really is a wild perspective because especially there's a beautiful pool at the Universal Hilton, and that's exactly all you see when you look down that, and you know the handful of people that are there that are staying at the Hilton, that are enjoying and looking out at you and going what what this is pretty wild.
Speaker 3: That's quite the view.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and it also you have this natural reaction of like, oh, well, I'm probably not supposed to be here. That's kind of you get and like you said, you have that pit in your stomach. But this is something I used to in boy Scouts when I was a kid. I used to rock climb and I used to repel. But that was the thing that you and I talked about on Saturday. Even though I had repelled and rock climbed many times when I was a kid, which is twenty five thirty years ago, I'd never done anything like this, and I think that was the thing that I realized this was this is the first time that I'd done anything like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really cool and so and I know that while we were talking about it and letting you know that you could also do it, we had I had a few people message me saying I want to do this after because we posted on social media and I said, you can reach out. So we know that a bunch of you did. And I hope that your experience was as amazing as ours was. And again I want to say thank you to the people from over the Edge who are were fantastic and made us feel safe as we were dangling two hundred and fifty feet above off a building. And then of course the people at the Union Rescue Missions such a good cause. If you want to get some more information about it, or you want to make a donation, we would love to hit thirty thousand for a Team Our Heart and.
Speaker 3: We're so close. We're so close.
Speaker 1: So if you have it in your heart to make a small donation or a big donation, we take that too. It's just help the number one dot org. Just help the number one dot org and go to Team iHeart and then you can go you can go to Amy King, or you can go to Nick Pouliochane because he of course joined the team so he could go over the edge. But again, thank you to everybody who donated. I would love to list all the names of everybody, but there's just too many. There's so many that donated and I so so so appreciate it, and I know Neil Svader appreciates it, Nick does, and of course.
Speaker 2: The Union thank you.
Speaker 1: So if you get a chance to jump off a building, not jump, if you get a chance to repel off a building, I highly highly recommend it. It was exhilarating and terrifying and it's going for a good cause. So thank you again for the donations. Let's get thanks. Yeah, I was so happy to have my buddy Nick. We got to post a video of us.
Speaker 2: Yes, we've gotten a couple of pictures too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got some fun pictures. We'll put that on our social media and that would be at Nick Pouliochanni and at Amy K. King and we'll probably put it up on at KFI AM six forty as well. Vice President Harris has raised twenty eight million dollars at a fundraiser in Los Angeles. She was at the Marriotte at La Live yesterday. Tickets range from between five hundred dollars a person two as much as a million dollars for four tickets. That million dollars gets you a reception with Harris, lunch and a photo. She told supporters that her campaign is going to win and pledged to sign a bill restoring abortion rights when she's president. Harris's campaign says she raised twenty seven million dollars Saturday at a fundraiser in San Francisco. Hesbela's deputy leader has vowed to continue fighting Israel. Following an Israeli strike in Beirut that killed a Hesbela commander. ABC's Marcus Moore says Israeli strikes have killed Hassan Nazreala and six of his top commanders in the last ten days.
Speaker 11: Iran's president reacting to the attacks on Iran's proxy, saying quote, we cannot accept such actions as they will not be left unanswered. He said, a decisive reaction is necessary.
Speaker 1: Hesbela's deputy secretary general says if Israel decides to start a ground offensive, Hesbelah fighters are ready to fight and defend Lebanon, where the group is based. Prince fans will soon be able to stay at the Music Icon Icons Home.
Speaker 12: Prince's childhood home in Minneapolis, was restored by Lisa and Wendy of The Revolution band. It'll be available on Airbnb from October twenty sixth to December fourteenth. Fans can reserve a one night's day with up to four guests for seven dollars per person, in reference to Prince's favorite number. The lower level of the home has been outfitted with purple velvet wallpaper and an eighty stereo full of songs that inspired Prince eighties inspired clothing, wigs, accessories, and makeup, including lipstick, will be available.
Speaker 3: Yes, Heather Brooker, Hey a fine news.
Speaker 1: I can't decide if that sounds really cool or just really kind of creepy, because I think he died in the house, didn't he Southern California will experience summer like temperatures with high hitting triple digits in some areas. Heat advisories will go up tomorrow morning. In the mountains Inland m iron Anaalote Valley, They're going to last through Wednesday evening. The National Weather Services LA is expected to see hi's in the upper eighties and tempsils stay that way until at least Thursday. Govinor Newsom assigned a bill that requires large health insurance companies to cover in vitro fertilization. The bill also expands healthcare benefits to LGBTQ plus families who were looking to have kids, and changing the definition of infertility for insurance purposes. It was a wild weekend at the box office. The animated Wild Robot earned thirty five million dollars in its opening weekend. That puts it in first place. Tim Burton's Beetlejuice Beetlejuice finished second after three weeks at number one. Another animated movie, Transformers one was third. Francis Ford Coppola's passion project Megalopolis, pretty much bombed in its opening weekend. It took in about four million dollars. It cost one hundred million dollars to make. We're just minutes away from handle. On the news this morning, Hezbollah has confirmed that a seventh top commander has been killed in Israeli strikes.
Speaker 3: What to expect next?
Speaker 1: You know, we got to talk to Colonel Nick Haig as he trained for his mission to the International Space Station. It was originally set to launch in mid to late August, but it got pushed back because they had to reconfigure how they were going to get things done to get those stranded astronauts Sonny Williams and Butch Wellmore home. Of course, you'll remember that they were going to go up in June for a week. They went up on the Boeing Starliner, and then there were issues with the star Liner and they said, you know what, let's not risk it. Let's bring the star Liner home empty and bring the astronauts home later. So they had to do all kinds of shifting around of different astronauts and that kind of stuff. And we've talked to Colonel Higgs several times this year about his mission and what a treat because he's so great to talk to and and so great at talking about what he's doing. So he said that the NASA and the astronauts, they were built for problems like this, having astronauts stranded in space basically for six, seven, eight months instead of a week. He says, they prepare for this kind of thing all the time. So what's that training leading up to the launch look like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's a lot of the last of type of things. So for almost a year and a half to two years, I've been focused on training to get ready to go to the space station. Some of that's focused on getting to the space station, and then some of it's focused on working and living on the space station. And we have these whole training programs that are stretched out over this year and a half and we do things three, four or five times. Now we're finally getting to the last time of all of these things. And so each one of those moments is it just kind of since chills down my next that, hey, this is the last time the next time I'm going to do this, I'm going to be in space. Yeah, it's exciting. It's spacewalk training, it's robotics training to be able to use the robotic arm on the International Space Station. We're doing some very integrated simulations where we're going to simulate launching to the space station and returning from the space station on the draving capsule and that it's the full team. So it's pretty exciting because everybody comes together and it's a mission control that's in Hawthorne here in Los Angeles for SpaceX, but it's also the mission control team in Houston and then US and the capsule and all working together to practice what we do when things don't go to plan, because ninety five percent of the stuff we practice are things to what do we do when something doesn't happen, And so these simulations have lots of failures in them, and we figure out how to face the failure, fix it, and continue the mission.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it reminds me of I believe it was Apollo thirteen Tom Hanks and there something goes wrong on their mission to the Moon, and all of a sudden they're like, uh, oh, we're screwed basically, and here's what we have. Okay, now let's figure out how to fix this so we can get these guys home. I mean, it's just got to be amazing the contingencies that you guys have to have in place, and then also planning for the unexpected.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 5: It's just a true privilege to be part of this program and that team, that gigantic team of people, and the energy and the investment and the the just the sheer intellect of that group to be able to face those problems figure them out. And you know, that's that's what gives me the confidence to, you know, to strap onto a rocket and launch into space. It's because I know I've got that team supporting me and we're going to tackle whatever gets thrown our way.
Speaker 4: Cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you were talking about spacewalk training. What does spacewalk training on Earth look like.
Speaker 5: It's a mix because really the only place that you can do it is in space. So we do lots of pieces of it. Some of that is virtual reality based, so we put on a VR headset and we practice doing a spacewalk virtually. A part that a lot of people know about is our Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory, so big pool, gigantic Pool, where we have a life sized mockup of the space station underwater under about forty feet of water, and we get in an actual spacewalk spacesuit and go under the water and practice where we can float, and it stimulates pretty close what it's like to float around on the outside of the space station. And then we go through all the procedures that we would plan to do on orbit and practice them, and then practice what happens when those procedures don't work. But I got to tell you that the underwater training is as close as you can get on Earth to what it's like up there. The first time I went out to hatch on a spacewalk on the space station, it was nighttime I opened the hatch, we started crawling around on the outside of the space station, and my prevailing thought was, Han, this feels just like I'm in the neutral Buoyancy laboratory, And I was looking that the only thing that was missing was the bubbles coming up from the safety divers that are on scuba gear around us.
Speaker 1: Can you even imagine what that must feel like, not only underwater, but then out in space and Colonel hag is now experiencing the real deal again. We look forward to following his successful mission to the International Space Station. He's going to be up there for the next six months, so look forward to talking to him maybe when he gets back to Earth again. Let's get back to some of the stories of coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Members of a fire crew from San Diego have been hurt in a crash while headed to help with storm recovery on the East Coast. Alex Stone says the three were hurt when They're Ford F three point fifty crashed early yesterday on Interstate twenty near the border of Texas and Louisiana.
Speaker 8: San Diego Fire says they were trying sported by air ambulance to Shreveport, Louisiana. Their injuries range from moderate to critical. One is a battalion chief and two our captains.
Speaker 1: Truck was part of an eighteen vehicle caravan that left southern California Friday. LA County's two DA candidates have faced off in a debate ahead of the November fifth election. Federal Prosecutor Nathan Hockman has criticized incumbent George Gascone for reforms that he calls soft on crime. Gascone says that's what voters chose when they elected him in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Coming lay down by my side, killimon in line.
Speaker 8: All A'm digging is your time, help make it.
Speaker 1: Singer songwriter Chris Christopherson has died. A family spokeswoman says he died Saturday at his home in Hawaii. He was known for his country music, but also for acting member He played the leading man opposite Barbara Streissan in nineteen seventy six, Is a Star Is Born. He also did shoot out westerns and cowboy dramas, and was a Rhodes scholar and a military veteran. Didn't even know that Chris Christofferson was eighty eight. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four, our newsroom for producer an and technical producer KNO and also traffic specialist and my over the Edge buddy, Nick Paulijochini. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any of wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app