Speaker 1: I'm Ali. I came out after twenty years of marriage and I have three kids.
Speaker 2: I'm Melissa and I have two kids, and I came out at thirty seven after an eleven year marriage.
Speaker 1: This podcast is about coming out later and the struggles and victories that.
Speaker 3: Come with it.
Speaker 2: When coming out feels like the end of the world, but it's really just the beginning.
Speaker 1: This is the Lesbian Chronicles. Welcome to the Lesbian Chronicles. Hello, we're so excited to have Liliana Baktiari with us today, who we've been talking about getting forever because I see you at my local coffee shop and every time I see you, I text Melissa and I'm like, I saw her again. I got another chance. I should have walked up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, and I've seen you around two and I've wanted to say hello, and then, like I said, next thing, I know, you're gone.
Speaker 4: So but we're happy to have you on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're very happy to have you on. Thank you for making time for this.
Speaker 3: No, I appreciate you guys asking me to be a guest, Very very honored.
Speaker 1: Every time I see you though at tap room, you are like deep in a meeting and I was there a couple of weeks ago with my son, and I'm like, I'm just gonna go up to he or he's like, you are so annoying if you walk up to that table right now they're clearly having like a business meeting. I'm like, it'll take two minutes, and I'm a constituent, Like I'm gonna just like pop over.
Speaker 5: But he's like, like, can I get a picture too?
Speaker 3: That happens people pop over in the middle of the meetings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all the time.
Speaker 1: Really, I'm going to be a popover next time.
Speaker 4: You ran for city council in what twenty twenty one? Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's that's one in twenty twenty one, and officially, like I think a thing officially kicked off in twenty two. I always get the years confused it did?
Speaker 1: It did kick off in twenty twenty two? Yeah, tell us how that even? How did you even get to twenty twenty one to be like I'm doing this.
Speaker 3: First ran in twenty seventeen against my predecessor, Nadaliine Archibaum, who is wonderful and I've since become like it has just become a friend and has always been a wonderful human being. So she did this job for twenty years. Don't know how she did that, Yeah, while also being a while also having a private law practice. So when I first ran, I never had aspirations of being in office. In fact, I was very much raised in the household that was did not trust politicians, immigrant families, refugee families like one. You're taught keep your head down, do work, achieve the American dream. The running joke in you know Iranian community, as you can go into one of three fields. It can be medicine, dentistry, so you can be a doctor, you can you can be a dentist or dental hygienist, and you can be and you can also be a real estate agent. Those are the way of real estate. Have you been to La they owned?
Speaker 1: That is so true.
Speaker 3: Actually my MoManI and that she was both a dental hygienist and a real estate agent at the same time. So all but we've gotten, you know, it's gotten more progressive over the years. Now, we've added lawyers and in jis okay, literally all of my cousins are either pharmacists and the medical profession or lawyers.
Speaker 1: So what would you have been doing had you.
Speaker 3: Not been done that none of those things.
Speaker 1: None of those things. Okay, you were already doing something else.
Speaker 3: Yes, And so when I growing up in my family's household, my father, I actually come from on my father's sign a line of revolutionary So my great grandparents fought against USSR occupied Ositur, Bijan. So they fought against Lenin and we're given twenty four hours to leave the country. Stript of all their wealth left my grandfather behind. He actually didn't know he had parents until he was twelve. He thought they had died when Hilar was getting ready to invade Russia. That's when my great grandparents sent for him. He my grandfather told me the story. He said, when he got off the train, he hugged the wrong people because he didn't know what his parents looked like Tabriz and they were farmers. And then my grandfather, uh, you know, politically active family. Tabreeze is very It sits up in northwestern Iran. It's very very very leftist and considered kind of the cradle of revolution and Iran. A lot of a lot of like a lot of revolutionary action and protests has come out of that city still to this day, still to this day. Okay, and uh, my My grandfather fought against the shaw Uh and then the Ayatola and which is you know, the show was. My grandfather was a Mosad Loyalistad a prime democratically elected prime minister of Iran for the Shaw was overthrown for being a by access powers, for being a fan of Hitler, and they mosadek Juan the democratic election. And when he tried to nationalize oil, he was overthrown by the US and and Britain for oil. It's so because they wanted they they thought they deserved it. So he they funded a coup. They reinstated the Shaw's son to absolute monarchy, and that's really celebrated. The Shaw is really celebrated in the US because a lot of Shaw supporters escaped here when he was overthrown. It's very different for the people in Iran, very different for people like my family. My grandfather was tortured for thirty years by the Shaw seper police called Sabach. So you know, for families like mine, that classist hierarchy. You know now that we have this war happening where you have the US trying to force another Shaw and to power, and there's you know, a war over it and it's just a battle my family has been involved in for a very long time, fighting for democracy irun and so that kind of that led me not into political but I've just been politically active from a very leftist perspective in my family. I've protested with my dad all over the country, parts of the world, Paris and started really doing that all throughout my life, and then started traveling internationally to do that work when I was first time was twenty years old, and then went on from there pretty continuously throughout my twenties. Decided to run for office because I traveled to parts of Africa, South backpacks, all throughout Southeast Asia, uh and you know, Central and South America. So everything from like I was in Cambodi for the war, tribunals for the you know, the the finally the trying of those who were involved in the killing fields in the Polepot regime. Oh, my goshow was there for that. I did archaeological digs in Kenya, culture anthropology, Southeast Asia, human trap combating human trafficking, Central and South America, indigenous informed grain building. It's a very long list, and international crisis relief work was always what I wanted to do. When I came back from a backpacking trip in my mid twenties and started seeing like the same levels of the increasingly same levels of poverty, the you know, people squatting in homes without electricity, like without water down the street, from homes that were starting to go for six seven like high up six figures seven figures, homelessness, population, food, apartheid, And just decided to stay here and start doing mutual aid programs. And in twenty seventeen, you know, Trump took office and the Muslim ban happened, it kind of felt like the only it's kind of a desperation thing, felt like the only way to protect my family. You're not at the table, then you're on the menu, and my family from one of the seven banned countries. So just if I can work on a local level and understand what's going on, then I can better protect them. Run for office is not kind of the way many people would approach that, but really, really, really, I mean it was a very close race, knocked a lot of doors, got a lot of perspectives, and just stayed engaged after that, especially after the pandemic.
Speaker 1: Did you feel like your queerness or being a Muslim like was that in the end helpful or hurt you with getting elected?
Speaker 3: Mostly helpful because it got the story out there. I mean it was a clickbait title. It was very much reduced to political identities. And I think that that's something that we tend to do as a society that's very flawed, putting people up on pedestals based on a political identity without actually knowing their politics. Kind of like when we call somebody progressive, nobody's progressive. People are progressive on issues. Nobody's conservative. People are conservative on issues overall, you might be when your people are people should ideological different, ideologically differ on issue to issue, They should argue those things out. It should never be a blind following or blind trust. And I think because of the inundation of information we have, we just have started evolving and are looking for simplicity and trying to reduce things to black and white, and they're just not.
Speaker 1: I relate to that so hard, because I do think and there's so much happening that you can't decide, like, yeah, I guess I'm a liberal. Of course I'm a liberal. But then there were more things that come up that I'm like, I don't know about that, and then it's like you're right, like you can't it's almost like you it's so polarized. It's are you this or are you that?
Speaker 3: And that's a sperist ideology and that's like, I'm sorry, but that's really cool, like and it's just not sustainable and you can't be purest on things when compromise is needed. I think compassion and empathy are a cornerstone human evolution, and when you lead with that, which not which is a very hard thing to do. I think the bravest thing someone can do right now is care because we're also exhausted. But when you lead with that, it gives you different perspectives and gives you the ability to look at things through different lenses. Most people don't want to look at things beyond their own bubble, I think more so now than ever because of the exhaustion. But also there is a humanization of different perspectives too, so it's kind of a give and take. But I think people are just like I think, we're just bombarded with too much information. We're just not We're just not evolved enough to be exposed to this much information and levels of stress.
Speaker 1: The belt line is a great example of like there's so much good and now people can't afford they can't afford to live anywhere near the belt line in neighborhoods that were the most affordable neighborhoods in Atlanta are now completely unaffordable. Well, I mean, but it's a beautiful thing, the belt line.
Speaker 3: It is. But we also have like the people of Atlanta got sold a lie. They got sold a lie of you can't have economic development and all so affordability. That's not true. That is a moorly because Ryan Gravelle and Kathy Woolerd another started this initiative of you know, friends of the Beltline and the the way Ryan envisioned it his creation affordability first, affordable housing first, then the transit, then the sidewalk, and you know, the establishment came in and sent in a suburban developer named Ray Weeks, and basically, you know when in they won't tell this story, but the people that experienced the crushing of their dream will tell you the truth, which was that Ray Weeks came in as a suburban developer and basically told them at the ordering of the city and basically told them, we know the way the world works. We have the money, you can either come work with us or we can starve every dollar you have. Essentially was the gist of it.
Speaker 1: Tell me the you said first comes the last comes the sidewalks. Talk me through that those first, because I want to be understanding.
Speaker 3: That if the city went in with the belt line and they told they talked about the beachfront property before they actually stabilized the land. If the thing about the market is that it is inherently racist, it is a beast you have. You have entities like what is it red Robin and or and U Zillow and others that are able to is it Robin? What is the name of that one? I can't remembersident red where the hell Robin came from? But again like Villa and others are actually able to go in and curate what an Ami area media and like Index is going to be in a community by buying up, you know, houses, and the hedge funds are doing this as well. They can buy up a string of houses at a certain cost, and then that last house they'll buy for a higher amount to raise the cost of these houses to the value of these houses so that they can sell and flip them for a much and make a massive profit, and so they know do.
Speaker 1: They know they're doing it or do they they know that's happening. It's not like they're just like buying it up and then this is just a repercussion.
Speaker 3: The thing about a lot of this that hasn't been calculated for a very long time, there have been predatory lenders and buyers working in the communities like Old Fourth Ward. When we saw Old Fourth War change and parts of Reynald Sound these other neighborhoods change overnight, it's because the groundwork had been laid by going to poor, lower income families that in Atlanta are predominantly black and getting them to you know, Uncle Joe that kept showing up to the birthday parties and was around that got their trust to sign up for a loan that they never should have qualified for because they don't have the income to support it, and so they end up paying the value of their house over and over and over again because the interest rates get higher and higher, and then until Chase Bank ends up with it or you know, another entity. So those types of things we saw on the belt Line that they didn't go through. It was economic development and economic development to me in the United States means the fastest thing that you can possibly capitalism. How can we move the fast is how can we get the fastest return? How can we have the most profit the most quickly. And the thing is is if they had built it the way it was envisioned, yes, it would have taken longer, but we would have had a much healthier, diverse, economically diverse city with a working class that still existed. And so if you the same thing with my concern about the tads, we've told people where they're going to go. I guarantee you that once when once we started talking the city and the executive started talking about tads last year publicly, if you went and looked at I bet if we went and looked at properties, we would have seen that a lot of the properties in the area have already been snatched up by some of the developers that know that that infrastructure, that economic development, that money is coming. What is like for our people Qullocation district. We currently have eight of them. The belt line is a TAD. That's how it is funded. Council just passed legislation on Monday. I voted against it. I was one of two no votes our district was really engaged on this and not in favor, and it voted through. But it's an extension of six tabs instead of eight. So the Beltline tad will not exist past it will not exist after the next five years. It'll close, which I think will be a very good thing, because when you have an inherently racist market and you already have change coming and you have massive economic development, and it's like, you know, it's trying to like punch a tidle wave. So if the intention is to bring economic development, which is a good thing, but we live in a state that is preempted, that preempts a lot of what the city can do, so rent control, capping, grints, those types of things, addiction defense, which we have to go through nonprofits to do. We are preempted from doing a lot to protect our residents, which is why you cannot do things the quick way, which is why Atlanta has to go the extra mile to ensure that we are stabilizing land values quietly first before doing these massive development So like with the belt Line, it should have been a quiet buy up of property than the announcement, because at that point you have the city owns the land, and can actually dictate the value. But you know, we haven't. We keep making the announcements before we've done the work, and that displaces the people that are there.
Speaker 1: Could the city have actually done that? Like sometimes I'm so curious, like how that works anyway, Like do they have the money to even do that or is it like they're just.
Speaker 3: Political will last lack of political will? You have to also, I mean, I would also imagine there's a lot of private private partners in film dropic groups that are putting a lot of pressure on them. I mean AJC article just a couple of weeks ago. I think it was Alex Taylor, who owns who family owns the AJAC I believe, did an op ed in his own paper about how the beltline loop had to be finished that you know that reil basically saying supporting the idea of continuing the sidewalk, of not doing transit and things like that. And I think that that's such a perfect synopsis of why people are so frustrated in Atlanta. That you have somebody that comes from an empire, a billion family that's worth billions of dollars, that heads up journalism in a city where journalism is practically dead and is using his own paper to tell people that how the belt line should be developed. That a billionaire is using his own paper to write an op ed on how many things transit should be designed in the city. That is a perfect example of why our constituency, our district believes that corporations are in control of the city. That that is a perfect example. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I don't think people fully understand, like even I pay attention I live here. Like the way you just explained it is so much the whiteboard. I understand it now, like in a way that I don't even know that I fully did.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know about you, but I'm really sick of billionaires telling me how I'm supposed to live my life. Yeah, dictating the world that I should exist in.
Speaker 1: Would you say the beltline overall, well, if you could change it, would you go back and not do it?
Speaker 3: No, I would go back and do it, but I would go back and do it the way it was envisioned by the creator of it. And I can't imagine being Ryan and walking out of my house every day and seeing my vision entirely bastardized, and knowing the people that I could have saved, that could have enjoyed that property and that experience and that entry into their city. Because the idea of the connectivity was to combat our racial infrastructure. You know, highways that divide that were intentionally put into the city to divide black and white neighborhoods. The belt line had the ability to combat that. The beltline had the ability to connect those neighborhoods, to bring people together. And in some ways the belt Line is abolutely beautiful. Shouldn't sit here and say that everything about it is bad. I mean, you go out on a Saturday, Sunday and afternoon, there's people out, People are playing sports, people are talking to each other, people are checking out restaurants. People are out and about. But if you're looking for high capacity transit, that's not the belt Line. If you're somebody that's experiencing a disability or completely dependent on a wheelchair, how are you going to get from point A to point B. It's completely disorganized right, People don't know which way to walk. Bicyclists I almost got taken out the other day. And so, yes, it's beautiful, but it's also chaotic. And what people of Atlanta were promised was high capacity transit and connectivity throughout the city and equity, And frankly, in my opinion, I don't mean to diminish people who enjoy the belt line. I love it. Yeah, that Lin's brought great benefit to my district. It's come a great cost too, and so I don't want to diminish it. But like, we were promised high capacity transit and we were lived to right and keep and they keep telling us that beltline real can happen, but then they keep shutting down the projects after pouring millions of dollars into designing them.
Speaker 2: Talk a little bit more about what that vision is for people who you know, aren't from Atlanta or maybe just visited, don't know a lot about the belt line.
Speaker 4: What was it supposed to be.
Speaker 1: In Ryan's vision?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Ryan should I shouldn't speak on his behalf because he's brilliant and wonderful and that was, you know, his creation, and I'm not well versed enough in his dissertation to speak fully on his behalf. But what I do believe was that it was supposed to be an equity tool, something that was supposed to connect people who had been separated from progress in the city. For a very long time, you know, white flight, white flight into the suburbs of Atlanta and surrounding it to cut off progress and into the city, only to now have people coming in to buy a bland and to flip now that everybody wants to live in Atlanta, I mean into during the recession. I think we are the second emptiest city in the country after Detroit, and you know, so like and the funny thing is is that we're not even as dense as we were in the nineteen fifties, but the level of traffic that we have exists because we don't have any public transit. We do have, I'm sorry, we do have some public transit, we take no pride in it, and we haven't expanded it since nineteen seventy nine. Again, not in a way that actually I mean bus routes and some improvements on infill stations and things like that in pedestrian bridges, but in terms of an expansion of heavy real no, I.
Speaker 4: Mean it is kind of wild.
Speaker 2: Like you go to you know, places like Chicago, even Charlotte, North Carolina, Denver, they have great reil systems and I don't know, I very rarely.
Speaker 4: Hop on Marta yeah, same.
Speaker 2: But if I'm in one of those cities, it's not a question like, of course I'm using it.
Speaker 3: My friends came down from New York, I mean New York, and they born and raised New Yorkers, pulled of trans that is the only way they go. And they were like, no, I mean, I don't, I don't. I don't feel comfortable. I was actually really floored when they said that to me, because I'm very proud of our transit system. I love this city. I would die and I would die on a hill for the city over and over and over again. And when I say these things, people take it very personally. They take it as an insult. But I don't see how we don't understand that holding ourselves accountable is a good thing. That's saying no, we don't have a transit vision because we've avoided it because it's too hard, is the truth. And it is a problem.
Speaker 1: Talk about the because the most recent thing is the water issue that happened. And what's interesting is like you were the only one talking about it, and I show up a tap room and they're like, oh, we can't do coffee because we have this water situation. That it's like I showed up there thinking how do I not know this? And then you started talking about it, and I'm like thinking, it shocked me. That's a huge deal. And like I thought about this. You know, tap is like they're fine, they're they're busy and popular. But if there don't have water and can't make drinks for people for two days, it.
Speaker 3: Hurts a small business hugely. Atlanta is God. I feel like I'm just like saying all the negative things, but I want this.
Speaker 1: We want to know. People want to know like we.
Speaker 3: Atlanta's small business community is the backbone, in my opinion of our economic development and diversity. Look what the small business community did for this city throughout the recession. They employed local folks, They made sure they were housed, They made sure I was fed when I barely had anything. Small businesses take care of their community and the employee their local community. So there, it's a really big deal in small businesses, at least in District five. Their visionaries, their artists, what they put into how they do like, what they put into their menu, what they put into their design. And I would say that about any small business owner and the costs of opening a small business in the city. Are exorbitant and the lat and unfortunately our city planning team, of which we have, again a lot of really wonderful and experienced people, but a really high turnover rate, and we are there as a result, there's not a lot of people that there's not a standardized protocol. It feels like, because I've had to help a lot of small businesses through the process, it feels like it differs based on who you get. And I don't fault those employees for that, because that that's reflective of leadership. They care deeply about their jobs. But you know, when you have a million things coming at you and there's a constant changeover, it gets very difficult to instill a really good system. And so I don't want our businesses losing money when one the economy is already difficult enough. But also, you know, our businesses aren't you know, a Davembusters, or you know, a chain or Greens liquor store, or a chain restaurant of some kind or a chain business. They're locally owned folks that live in their communities. So when that happened with tap Room the water pieces, you know, I was getting calls from other small businesses asking you know it's a Friday night, can we open? And the truth is like, I can't have them taking the risk, But I also know they're going to lose money that night. That's that's why it frustrates me. Yes, safety of water quality, for our consistency, our neighbors, and making sure people are safe. But yeah, when folks go to their small businesses and they're trying to where they learn most things in these small b since this can't serve their customer base, that's going to hit them hard in the pockets to make it very difficult for them to make up that loss.
Speaker 1: And it felt like a communication problem too, Like it just felt like why wasn't that a bit like it didn't even I don't know. That felt like a communication problem. And then I also heard you say something about how it does disproportionately affect marginalized people talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, redlining is a very I mean, it obviously exists in the city of Atlanta, has been going on for a very long time. You know, we're trying to combat a lot of those in a lot of those issues. Again, it's like trying to be back a tidal wife. But I would say that a lot of it comes down to one, a lot of development in those areas. So there hasn't been like there's not a replacement of watershed infrastructure. It's taking a lot Like if you look at the development that happened on Cascade on the west side, it's a massive thoroughfare, had no watershed infrastructure on it, so then they were doing the repaving, they had to install all of that. And the thing is, I would say the only mayor in recent history that has done anything for our sewage systems was Shirley Franklin, and that's what the penny tax comes from, to help with their replacement for the management of our stormwater systems. Atlanta was the third landlocked city formed in the country, and so like a lot of our watershed infrastructure, like there wasn't a set plan. It was kind of I like to say, we formed accidentally, and a lot of our watershed infrastructure feels very reactionary. But the fact is is that there hasn't been active replacement plans. It's been very it's like, oh, there's a break, we're planning for that break. We aren't stockpiling, we aren't we don't like what is the vision for the replacement plants. Our current watershed commissioner saying that our full replacement plan would take eleven hundred years. That's where we're at. Obviously it was about five hundred he said that was a lie. It's more like eleven hundred and and funnily enough, in some instances, Atlanta is doing replacement plans better than others in the country. But quite frankly, I think that has a lot to do with the bar being so low for infrastructure in the United States. But partially, I mean, like, we get insane amounts of rainfall here, and it's not like Seattle, where it's steady rain over many days. Ours comes down in like flash flood downpours, and so it's it is like it's like trying to plug holes. So it's super difficult. And so people operationally watershed that day where the water went out, they did everything they were supposed to do. But y'all didn't know that because there was no communication.
Speaker 1: Zero zero communication. Yeah, I didn't even know I was under a boil water advisory.
Speaker 3: I didn't water advisory until I got an email.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I might have told you about one recently.
Speaker 1: All, Yeah, I think you did it came over? She did. She came over and she's like, are we allowed to drink your water? I'm like, yeah, why You're like no, I don't know that you can.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure there's a boil water. So they have it, and nah, make it gay.
Speaker 1: I know. I was just thinking, let's make it gay. Let's get this thing gay. Okay, Yeah, talk.
Speaker 3: About what we're talking about. Pipes and we've been water and.
Speaker 1: Infrastructure, and it's a great segue.
Speaker 3: I think that is perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we are a gay podcast. But I was thinking a little bit about to just in this administration and I don't know at the local level how it feels, but you know, funding being pushed away from say trans care or like, do you feel that in your job at all? That situation.
Speaker 3: Atlanta is the gay mecha of the South. We have a lot of it's a lot of youth, a lot of youth that come here from Tennessee, from Alabama, from Florida. I mean, I worked with I've worked with a lot of trends and homeless youth. I mean I've worked with a kid once that family found out they were gay, back from coming on a family road trip and they dropped them off at a highway exit.
Speaker 5: You know. There.
Speaker 3: There's there's been a lot of stories as I've worked with that have just been traumatizing stories. But Atlanta is supposed to be gay mecca, and then the folks come here and we don't actually have a lot of things wildly available for trans youth. I don't know, Atlanta really never has more than other places. But a lot of our shelters are rooted in Christianity, and so I've also had a lot of them turn away trans kids and say very problematic things. And sometimes certain shelters if it's a gay couple, they don't want them together, you know, that type of thing.
Speaker 1: So we are are they taking federal dollars in doing that?
Speaker 3: I actually don't know. Okay, I actually do not know. That's something I have to I would have to look into because that was when DEI was in effect, and this was when like when I was doing this work. I mean, I still do the work, and so I've been able to look into a lot more of it. It's improved. It's greatly improved in terms of what we were trying to do with our kids and the number of people that gotten involved and youth that are stepping up and creating new agencies to help queer and trans youth. It's really really inspiring to see that expand and the approach expand. But I was I was in my twenties when I started doing the work with you, because I had experienced a lot of housing instability between eighteen and twenty three. And you know, a lot of our kids depend on survival sex for a place to stay. It's when instead of like you know, drugs or other things, you will sleep with someone in exchange for staying in their bed or on their sofa. And there's you know, homelessness looks a lot of different ways, not ways people think that it looks. And we also out of in the past when we've it's numbers have gone up. But in the past. The first time I did a survey of the kids that were willing to come forth to talk about their sexuality, about fifty percent of them so they identified as lgbtq I A plus and so we know that that number is probably actually higher. So yeah, it's on a local level, you know, state, the state PREEMPS is in a lot of things. The state has done a lot a lot of anti trans legislation. In terms of that, I have had families that have moved north for their kids because they want to keep their trans children safe.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, these men have no understanding of how like hormone blockers work, how like gender affirming surgery works, or the fact that some of them, many of them have had gender firming surgery, and they just this disgusting obsession with policing other people's bodies and their genitalia and all these other things.
Speaker 1: It's just it's weird.
Speaker 4: It well, yeah, and it's fear mongering.
Speaker 3: It's like it's it's it discussed me on such a level because I see what it does to these kids totally, and what we're trying to do on a local level, Like I'm I'm trying to help agencies on my own personal like my personal time, organizing, helping parents, directing them towards resources, just trying to be a rolodex of information for people who need it. That's you know, not even like just me as accouncil member. Mutual aid I think should be brought into government a lot more. But it's the thing that's going to help local communities through everything. I mean, the government is not here to save us. Yeah, the government is here to help you know, to do services day to day, but the government is not here to save you from these issues. That's where community comes in. That's the truth and hopefully people like me that are there to martial out resources on a local level legislatively, truthfully. Other than making statements condemning what the state is doing. There's not a lot of action that we can take, but we can partner with agencies to assist because there are a lot of agencies that do this work on a local level. I do not think we give enough money at all. We also changed our DEI office to one Atlanta because of all the federal attacks, and Atlanta has actually been pretty good at staying under the radar. We don't have the privilege of Chicago or New York or things like that. We have to play it very carefully because of the conservative politics here. A lot of people are like, well, you aren't taking a stand, and I understand that, I personally take my stands. The city, I understand personally has to navigate this very carefully. Hisses me off. But the truth is is the federal climate makes it very difficult and people we could be so easily preempted by the state at any time, and so it takes very careful navigating. But I also believe that you don't put on a shirt that says I love trans kids to take a picture and then not turn around and put in like put your body in front of them to protect them. I don't understand how you can do a photo op and not actually uphold that with action. So I would encourage people to look at local. National organizations are great, I don't donate to those. Take a look at your local orgs that are on the ground to ensure that your dollars are going directly into the community that you were trying to help. And that's where that's going to happen. Legislatively, not going to see a lot happen on a local level. It's going to come from mutual aid. It's going to come from council members partnering with nonprofits that are prioritizing this worked and are the subject matter experts. And I believe that the city and especially the county should be putting a whole lot more money towards this, and I don't I don't even know if the county is putting money towards this, but again, even in the city, our one Atlanta team, we still have an LGBT, we still have that director. But there's no line. I'd have been the budget, how much money they're getting, And I couldn't get an answer for that, right, So, and.
Speaker 1: Is it because there's not It's almost like there's too many if it comes to a vote, it's like most people aren't affected, Like they don't see it as their problem, so they're just like, ah, who cares.
Speaker 3: There's a lot there's a lot of competing interests, and like if I, if I was in charge of that would be my priority, that would be one of my top priorities. Yeah, I can't speak to why. I mean, like the priority of the city, Like their first thing is supposed to be our first job is supposed to be project delivery in city services, and so equipping those departments to make sure that that's happening, putting a lot of our money into anti into eviction defense, into trying to figure out red stabilization. There are a lot of holes to plug up, right, there are a lot of holes to plug up. I do believe that the city, we do not have the problems of a poor city. We are a wealthy city are. Our reserves are almost a billion dollars whoa okay and no idea. Eight years ago they were seven million. We have a triple A bond rating as the highest a city can have. In my opinion, we could be spending a lot smarter, We could be a lot more focused, and quite frankly, local organizations are very good at especially once for trands and minority groups, because we know what it's like to have nothing and survive on very little, and we're innovative as hell. Yeah, dollars to local organizations go a lot farther, and so I just I don't think we're doing enough. And I'm glad that we have an LGBTQ Affairs Committee, But what.
Speaker 1: Are they doing?
Speaker 3: Then? The policy recommendations, what are the actions, what are our lobbying initiatives, what are the funds, What are our program what does our programming look like? None? I don't none of that. So no, I don't believe. I think the city markets itself as a haven. And I do believe that we care about gay rights and we have we uh, we do take matters around hate crimes and those things very seriously. And you know, our police chief was the first gay officer on the police force. He came here from Indiana because Atlanta was one of the three cities in the country that had LGBTQ protections for its employees. So there are aspects absolutely that we do very well, but I don't believe we're going.
Speaker 5: Far enough from the slightest Speaking of the police department, and you know, a crime that was committed against someone in our community, Katie Janis Ali and I and our friend Sam, we're working on a documentary actually about that murder, to work on getting it solved and bring attention to it.
Speaker 3: And what do you want to give background? I don't know, follow the listeners know what happened. Well, it's also traumatic, So if you don't want to do.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, we have spoken about it on the on the podcast before, but you're right. Katie and her dog Bowie were murdered in Piedmont Park in July twenty twenty one, middle of the night. It is a brutal murder and it remains unsolved and and a lot of people in the community feel like it's been overlooked by the Atlanta Police Department. We understand that there's a lot of things that happened behind closed doors that you know, we're not privy to all the information that could be happening when the investigation, But what are what are your thoughts on that crime and the fact that you know this is unsolved.
Speaker 3: Still, one of the things I think we're very flawed at with the city is our investigations into homicides. One like, they do not talk homicide. The investigators do not talk to the council members. We don't really hear anything. That's it kept very internal, very close to the chest. We know, we know only a little more than civilian populations do, and we typically don't get briefed on things unless like in depth, unless there ends up being something legal, a legal matter to talk about. So I think I don't know why our investigations take so long. It's insane to me. I can't get an understandab I can't get I can't get a reasonable answer. It's something i'm I don't sit on the Public Safety committee. It's something I do want to dive into. But like I said, there are so many things I am diving into that it's there's drinking out of a fire hose, There's so many there's so many battles. This is a very important one, and it's one that I'm trying to uh that I'm trying to learn more about, because are we have so many people that come to city Hall to talk about instances of brutality or a killing of some kind, and the investigation has been going on for years, Yeah, and there's been no there's been no insight as to what's happening or what's going on. And I do not know why the turnarounds of these I don't know why are are are? What are? We have a board that's that's headed up that also hears a lot of these cases, or it does cases of police brutality or looks at investigations and then of course APD conducts their own and the homicide investigators and so on and so forth. But the processes clearly aren't working because.
Speaker 1: It shouldn't take this long, or it might just be knowledge the politics around Like yeah, for that particular crime, it was very soon after the crime happened they deemed it not a hate crime, and so on national TV they're like, we know it wasn't a hate crime, Midtown, go about your business.
Speaker 4: You know that when you don't even know who did.
Speaker 1: It and you haven't even had time to look at the park yet, like the park was open, like you don't know anything yet, like what Like that to me was infuriating And I feel.
Speaker 3: Like correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sorry and trigger warning to anyone listening, because I'm going to ask about injuries that were that were given to Katie. So if you don't want to hear or this, than mute for a moment, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 6: I thought there were some messages it was fat her body, but we have a theorized and a lot of other people have as well that it could have been fag but they didn't.
Speaker 4: Have time to complete about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she was not sexually assaulted, but it appears that she it might have been in progress given that her pants were partially pulled off.
Speaker 3: So I think that's I mean, outside of this alien list, I think that's the conversation that we should continue talking about. And you know, uh, yeah, this is I would like to continue that conversation. But to the point that you all have made, I would think that there even should be check ins with the family just because of the brutality of the situation. And I mean that that vigil was one of the most most heartbreaking things I've ever attended. And you know, it's scared our community, scared, our care about community because we do feel targeted. And even if you say that's not the case, I mean, how do you know, right, it was like kind of like when the community was really upset when the officer that was involved in the Richard Brooks situation came and was at the Pride parade, and my god, was the community triggered? Understandable totally And to that point, I don't know if it's overload. I don't know, if it's being spread too thin. I don't know, if it's exhaustion and dehumanization. I don't know, because I will say, you know, way too much. Is way too much as demanded of officers. The overdependence of the community on police, I won't even just put it on them, but overdependence that we have as a society, true like that of not wanting to deal with things that we could easily handle just by you know, listening or being just a little human.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: I will say, I will say that for them, but there should at least be at minimum check ins that you know, this is still ongoing and you know, yeah, yeah, just I just wanted to make sure you knew that we haven't that this is not lost on us type.
Speaker 1: Of thing, right, But I agree with that, Like, I think that would go a long way, or even just now that it's been so long, release more information. If you can't find them, maybe the public can't, that's just it. But yeah, it's like you haven't told us the dog and a cropsy, Like what else has that happened? It can't just be we're still working on it, guys, Like that's not enough anymore.
Speaker 3: The other thing is, I will say that the public shouldn't know, because I only found this out recently, is that Atlanta doesn't have its own crime lab, so we actually share with a bunch of uh different like it's it slows everything down, wow, but more.
Speaker 1: A huge city.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: We gotta if that's something that's going to have to be focus moving forward. The city is building an new E nine one one center finally, but no, the fact we don't have a crime lab, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: That is crazy. Wow, I had no idea. That's really really fascinating. I would have never thought that.
Speaker 2: Before we wrap up, I did want to you know, our podcast is for people that are coming out later in life.
Speaker 4: That's like our main focus.
Speaker 2: I was wondering if you'd be open to sharing any of your coming out stories, seeing that you're Iranian and Muslim and what that was like.
Speaker 3: And people get confused about the Muslim Muslim thing because you know, they have a certain idea and there are some Muslims. I would say that I'm not, but you know, I exist, so existed it. But I would like my coming out story. So I knew I was different when I was in pre school when you know, I think I'm pretty sure I kissed my first girlfriend at Children's World when I was like four.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, taking out your business?
Speaker 4: Can you can you?
Speaker 3: I was different very much from the beginning, and like growing up very much a tomboy, my mom said after I watched friend Gully. Remember, like I think his name was Max. His shoes were always untides. So I always did that, you know, I wanted, and like when I was by myself, I had this alter ego. His name was Nick, and that was like a character I would act out. So I wonder oftentimes I've wondered if I had grown up in a different household that was more supportive. Would I have ended up trans Would I have ended up more more masculine? What would those things have looked like? My gingers for you have been more uh more uh not controllable because I don't think that's a good word, but you know better.
Speaker 4: The freedom to explore it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so that understanding that very homophobic. I wouldn't even say homophobic microaggressions in our household. So I knew, even in my limited knowledge that like what I was was not okay with my parents again trigger warning. I started self harming it at probably eight or nine, knowing I was different. I remember being really really mad at God without even really understanding and just not understanding why I couldn't be like everyone else. And so self harming took place in a lot of ways for many years. And I had really racist teachers and the Lilburn and like the one or two kids that were out were so brutally bullied. And what was interesting is I also got confused because you know, hormonally reacting to different people didn't even mad at your gender. It was like, you know it. It was really confusing that sometimes my body would respond to guys and I didn't understand, and so like you know, queer, I've dated men. You know, it was really confusing to not be physically left like like not really the attraction was very confusing for me. Yeah, so self harming, which I would also say those instances exploring and not understanding what was going on truthfully led to assault. So that was like a very no, and it wasn't talked about, Like I couldn't talk about it, so buried very very very very very deep, which led to, you know, a self hate that led to additional self harming. And so it wasn't until I was twenty three. I'd been I had just come back from a trip and I had no money, and I got I had a pretty explosive fight with my family and got put out of the house. Oh wow, And I had nowhere to go. And some people would think twenty three, you know, you're old enough. Culturally in my household, in the most Iranian households, I was the first. I was the first girl. I was the first non male to leave home, and I was considered a whore for doing so. And so because I didn't want to stay home and be with the family and take on more traditional lifestyle and I very much paved away from my cousins, which I'm very proud of. They had a much easier time than I did. But yeah, as a result, I had nowhere to go. I didn't understand taxes. I didn't understand you know, I didn't understand how to check a bank account. I had actually had like all of my money stolen off a nineteen souse. I didn't understand and credit score in the in the toilet, all the things and so, which is also why helping homeless kids and teens is so important to me, because those years are so critical to development totally, because you know, when I was I came out, well, I got kicked out of the house. I had nowhere to go, and I ended up showing up to a high school friends. I think I slept in my car the first night. And then I ended up showing up to a high school friend's party in Grant Park that I hadn't seen in forever, and I showed up there full transparency. I had a black eye and a chiptooth and he asked me what happened and I told her, and I had nord to stay, and she was like, you stay, you stay here now, and the next morning we woke up and because we've been drinking, I was like, are you sure, and she's like yes, And she's been my best friend in the world, been my best friend ever since. But her, my friend Ariel, my friend Taylor, my friend Leanna, they absolutely saved my life, took me in, helped me come out of the closet. Agnes Scott, woman ripped me out of the closet and black tracks, yeah, actually let me.
Speaker 1: I got ripped out of a closet by a what's.
Speaker 3: The school called together, Agnes Scott, Agnes Scott.
Speaker 1: I got ripped out of a closet by an Agna Scott. Grat We'll go ahead.
Speaker 3: But it was the first time I felt safe enough to like do that. Yeah. I was at dinner with a bunch of them and when the girls goes, you know, he's She's like, you see how you're sitting right now? I was like yeah, and she goes gay, gay gay, and so I started, you know, it was like it was like I've never felt weight lifted off my shoulders like that.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: It was like the most fream feeling. And I, uh, then I you know, obviously realized from the beginning that I was no monogamous. I met my partner now of almost fourteen years, when I was twenty four, and it was like, I tell people that I was fairrible, and I've ever heard because my idea of a meat meal of a dinner was like chef boyardy out of a can and something like that.
Speaker 4: You know, I was fire.
Speaker 3: I didn't know. I didn't know how to cook for myself or any of those things because I don't have any of that. You know, I'm still learning those things, and I still talk about people recovering from the financial issues from that time because of learning. But I didn't. I wanted to come out to my family, and none of them wanted to hear it. I told my uncle, who is my one blood, out blood gay relative. I have thirty first cousins. I'm telling you, statistically, it's impossible that I'm the only gay one.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 3: I know totally. My uncle was like, I went and flew up with my partner and I told him, and he looked at his husband and told you, and I go, he had a bed and I was like, yeah, and I go, when did you know I was gay? He goes, about the time when you were I knew for sure when you were fifteen and had that life sized poster of Angel Angelia a wetsuit above your bed. So but the rest of my and we didn't want to know. My mom's best friend finally told her over text. I've told her over dinner, and my mom texted me and said, I love you no matter what. But I came out to my whole family when I was twenty nine because I was the first queer Muslim to run in the country, and I asked, I think teen Vogue and Huffington posted the story and I asked them to make sure that I was in the title. And we had a cousin's weekend with all the girls shortly after, and one of my my aunt came up to me and she goes, were you planning on telling us that you were gay before you had it published in a national magazine? And I said, well, I tried, and everybody was so passive aggressive about it and wouldn't talk about it that I thought I'd won up them and I was just putting in a magazine and force them to deal with it. Yep, and they they'll be talked about and everybody just kind of accepted it. I don't know if it would have been the same, if that hadn't been so celebrated on a national level.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and now and now you know, I have my we have our other partner, Chris, and Sarah. My partner's Chris. It's been thirteen and a half years. Like I said, I was fourteen, Sarah, it's been it'll be six years in September, and uh, we're really happy family. And my mom now says she has three daughters, not one, I think, invited to every holiday, every wedding, everything. I mean, if you had told me that that was going to happen a couple of years ago, who told you I was more likely to like make out with Trump? So the fact that you know it's it's it's a it's come a very long way. But yeah, that's how I came out. It was a really it was a very interesting ride. I came out in a national magazine and forced them to force them to deal with it. But yeah, there's still some struggles there.
Speaker 2: Time to tell you, do you what would you say to someone who is Muslim and struggling with this with coming out and that fear of what their family's going to think and all those things.
Speaker 3: I would tell them that they're not alone because the feeling of loneliness was like absolutely crushing, and I would never want anyone to feel like that. When I came out and the story of me running actually became international, I had some I had some young queer girls driving from Lebanon and a couple others queer Muslim women that felt like they couldn't come out, and others that were like I'm not, like thank you, you know, So it was, it was it was really touching to know that that had an effect on folks. It's really hard because when I have talked individuals, I wouldn't tell them to do what I did because I don't. It was not easy. Yeah, and you know, there was a time where I didn't think I would live past thirty. It takes it. It's it's not it's you know, people romanticize trailblazing, and yeah, part of it is. And I will say that it was completely worth it, and I'm so glad that I fought for freedom and doing life my way. It came at great cost, but the end result was worth it. So I would tell people, I mean, build community, build community, build community. There You're not alone. If you're not afraid to take that leap. We've there is a lot more freedom out there for those who really want it. If you want to make that leak, there's a community here that will catch you. It will cheesy, no, it will be very hard, but I really do believe the journey is worth it.
Speaker 1: That's a really great place to wrap I think I love that message.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's great talking with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just love like how you are so you're going for everything that you want and sticking up for others along the way, and that's just very admirable.
Speaker 4: So thank you so much for thank you taking the time to talk with.
Speaker 3: Us, absolutely rereading and providing the space. I think it's awesome.
Speaker 1: Where can people find you, like Liliana back TI, where can they find you online?
Speaker 3: We have well, I mean have a website, but they can email, call. I'm happy to give you all that information. People have. People tag me on social media all the time they met, They DM me. I don't think there's any shortage of ways to get in touch, okay, And then of course I try to be atfee shops in the district and I do coffee with the council member at small businesses around the district and then trying a lot to make sure that I'm accessible to folks. But I'm happy to drop my information to make sure that you can share it. But email number, you know that is the fastest way. And then of course people have reached out on social media when they're confused about what to do. But yeah, you can always, always, always reach me by email. And then we're also in the process of building our website again because city of websites are a place of hell and you can't find anything, so creating our own to make it more easily navigable. Awesome, love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, thank you so so much, and we will publish this and tag you and I know it's going to get a great response.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, guys, I really appreciate it. Thank you. Enjoy the rest of can y'all please say hi if you've seen me before, I see you.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm definitely definitely we're best friends.
Speaker 4: Now you don't be able to get rid of us.
Speaker 3: I want to buy a hat if I can. If you have a merchant, we'll give you.
Speaker 1: One for free. Yeah, I've definitely it's coming your way.
Speaker 3: Then, thank you guys.
Speaker 1: All right, all, thank you, bye bye.
Speaker 3: Bye Bye.
Speaker 4: I want to support the Lesbian Chronicles podcast.
Speaker 6: Rate us and write a review on Apple podcast or Spotify.
Speaker 1: We'd love listener feedback. If you'd like to share your story, email us at Melissa and Ali at gmail dot com. That's Melissa M. E.
Speaker 3: L I.
Speaker 1: S A and Ali A L. L I at gmail dot com. Or follow us on Instagram at Lesbian Chronicles