Speaker 1: Sword and Scale contains adult themes and violence, and is not intended for all audiences.
Speaker 2: Listener discretion these advice.
Speaker 3: Did it seem strange to you that you were taking human flesh inside into the top.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Sword and Scale, a show that reveals that the worst monsters are real. If you like true crime documentaries, we make them. Let's head on over to our YouTube channel or website Swordscale dot com for more info on Sword and Scale television. These are hour long documentaries, cinematic, really beautiful, beautifully shot documentaries about uh, you know, murder. On October fourth, twenty twenty one, firefighters rush to three eighty six Moon Valley Road in Dallas County, Missouri. The name sounds like it should be printed on a postcard. Moon Valley makes you think of a serene getaway with cozy cabins and campfires. In reality, Moon Valley Road is a boring strip of gravel that cuts through dense ozark woods. These trees are so thick that they almost block out the sky when you look up from the ground. The nights are so dark you can't see your hand in front of you. There are no street lights, no neighbors in sight, only the kind of isolation where bad things happen without anyone noticing. By the time they get there, the fire is already out of control. Nothing on the property can be salvaged. Flames shoot out of every building and don't stop burning until they've destroyed them all. After the fires are finally out, a Dallas County deputy steps onto the property. The ground is soft and sooty with wet ash. The black mud sticks to his boots, and smoke is seeping from the rubble. The cabin is a shell now, with the roof collapsed and the windows blown out out. The outbuildings are mostly gone. In the middle of the cabin's rubble stands a lone familiar piece of furniture, a bathtub. The deputy wades through the debris, scanning with a flashlight. Then his beam catches a wire, stretched tight, almost invisible, still attached to two scorched posts. He freezes it's a trip wire. He knows that if he moves the wrong way he could trigger it and blow them all to pieces. His eyes follow it carefully, and his focus is locked on the wire until it leads to a device buried in the rubble. They call the bomb squad, who detonates one device on site and removes two more. These are homemade bombs. The fire marshal will make the easy call. This was arson.
Speaker 5: Scarce but solid details being released on what could have caused a late night fire on Moon Valley Road hours before Cassidy Rainwater suspected kidnappers were due in court. A cabin where James Phelps and Timothy Norton had been living burned to the ground. A report obtained by Ozarks First Today shows the Springfield bomb squad discovered not one, but two explosive devices among the ashes, and while it doesn't say whether the fire was set intentionally, it does list what equipment was taken by investigators. The report calls them incendiary devices made with mortar tubes, balloons, and coiled fuses with a trip wire attached. A Springfield fire marshal says one of the explosives was detonated on site, but what happened to the second device has not yet been released.
Speaker 1: The Missouri Ozarks cover more than forty thousand square miles of rough isolated country, over half the state and twice the size of Switzerland. The Ozarks aren't a true mountain range, but a high ancient plateau of limestone carved over millions of years. These limestone hills fold into deep valleys, Caves run for miles underground, and rivers disappear into sinkholes without a trace, and a lot of the roads are narrow and surrounded by woods. What goes on in the hollows is anyone's guests. Tourists come here for the fishing, cabins, float trips, and lake towns, but the Ozarks have another side. Civil War confederates use these woods to disappear and then ambush their enemies. Prohibition gangs built stills so far back in the timber that no one dared to go there. Math cooks and armed weed growers still guard their territory like they're at war. And then there are the legends weird lights moving through the trees with no source, numerous bigfoot sightings, and whispers of feral people living in the back country. Out here, it's easy to go missing, and even easier to stay that way. Thirty three year old Cassidy rainwater didn't just disappear all at once. It happened slowly and under the radar, the kind of missing person's case that didn't start with a nine to one one call, but with a gap in contact that kept getting longer.
Speaker 6: Cassidy was a free spirited girl, loud.
Speaker 7: If she walked in a room, everybody knew she was there, but she.
Speaker 8: Had a beautiful soul.
Speaker 1: She was born on June ninth, nineteen eighty eight, near Lebanon, Missouri. Officially, Cassidy's parents were Clifford Welch and Tracy Wawasuck, but she went by Rainwater, a Native American name tied to someone in her past, her grandfather, who happened to own land on Moon Valley Road, near where she was last seen. Cassidy had her first child with a high school boyfriend named Ben. The couple tried to make it work for the sake of their baby, but they chose to put them up for adoption at some point. Regardless, she and Ben remained on good terms. Later, she remarried and had other children with that partner. Reports say that she was still legally married in twenty twenty one, but living apart. By the summer of twenty twenty one, Cassidy's life was unsettled. She'd been moving between places looking for stability. Her first partner, Ben, remembered being worried about her.
Speaker 9: She was in a bad way, like at that time.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure she was homeless, and she and I were talking and was just like, you come to Kansas City, we'll get things figured out.
Speaker 1: Searching for a place to stay eventually led her to a small property on Moon Valley Road, a remote rental cabin occupied by sixty year old him Phelps and owned by a man named John. John Nucassidy's grandparents and suggested she talk with the guy living there. Jim, living in the cabin, had a soft spot for taking in women and girls, but none of them ever said anything negative about him.
Speaker 10: Okay, Jim, it's a friend. Once again. He let me stay with him from time to time when I was having a hard time.
Speaker 3: I have a lot of health problems, so it's.
Speaker 10: Hard for me to work, which is why I'm getting a job to where I work on my own time.
Speaker 7: Now. Seems like in the podcast, but.
Speaker 10: Jim, he was really kind. He was a sweet guy. But when I met him, he was a really kind guy.
Speaker 11: He was caring, He was really nice.
Speaker 10: No sexual relations, not like that out there. I mean, I've met Jim's family, I've met Tim's family. They know me, I know them.
Speaker 1: Amanda didn't just stumbled into this story. Her paths here started months earlier when she met fifty six year old Tim Norton, Jim's best friend. Amanda met Tim through a friend who was engaged to his nephew and living there. At the time. Amanda was between homes, so she moved into Tim's trailer, which, by all accounts was a disgusting pig pen. Tim was a long haul trucker and Amanda sometimes went along for the ride. Other times she acted like his personal dispatcher or helped with his finances. People assumed they were a couple. Amanda says, that's ridiculous. He was too old for her. According to Amanda, she was just helping him in exchange for a place to live. I mean, he was fifty six and she was nineteen. Nothing to see here. Right months later, Amanda's living situation shifted again. The chaos of everyone living in the trailer wore her down. Tim suggested she go and stay at his buddy, Jim's cabin for a while, so she did. On paper, it sounded like a quiet escape, a rural place with a name that could pass for a weekend getaway, but this was no campground. The cabin sat isolated, hidden from the road, with sheds of outbuildings scattered across the property. Amanda says her time there was temporary, but her connections with Jim and Tim were already cemented and they were about to become a lot more than casual acquaintances. Let's circle back to Cassidy Rainwater. Amanda knew who she was because their time at Jim's cabin overlapped. Amanda remembered meeting her.
Speaker 3: I met her once.
Speaker 10: Me and Jim went over there because I had some mail to hook up, because that's when I melt Millan addresses right.
Speaker 11: Know, and her didn't really talk.
Speaker 12: She didn't She was kind of.
Speaker 10: Quiet, which I get a new person.
Speaker 11: I'm quiet too with new people, But.
Speaker 10: She didn't really talk. She kind of stayed to herself, and whenever I went to go do something in my car, and when I came back in, she had told Jim that she wanted to leave, that she wasn't comfortable those two many people. Jim didn't tell her that people were coming.
Speaker 3: Over and she wasn't comfortable with this.
Speaker 10: It was just me, Jim, Tim and her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't exactly a warm welcome. Cassidy, like Amanda, wasn't looking for new friends. You could say both women had retreated to the cabin for the same reason, to escape drama and conflict and piece themselves back together. The problem was that the place was starting to feel less like an isolated hideout and more like the worst kind of Airbnb, the kind where the host keeps allowing more guests to book the place without telling you. According to Amanda, the two tried to stay out of each other's way. This was around mid July twenty twenty one. By the time Cassidy went missing in late August, Amanda had already moved out.
Speaker 10: I didn't really I tried not to get involved in too much because I just I can't pay you bees. Just I was like, I looked at him and I said, so, how is Cassady doing? Because I was just kind of curious because I know she's been struggling with some stuff and I was in He was like, I don't know. She left in the middle of night. I like, oh, And then later I found out this she's missing. How you know? God until I read the article and I'm like, oh, this suff happened, and then I said it. In the back of my mind, it was like that could have been me.
Speaker 1: In August, a friend noticed that it had been about six weeks since anyone had seen Cassidy. She was reported missing. The last person to admit seeing her was Jim. It wasn't the police who made the first big move in the case. It was the FBI, after someone sent them an email with photographs labeled Cassidy. The first one showed a topless woman in a cage, and whoever sent it made sure the FBI knew exactly where to find her, or at least what was left of her. In the summer of twenty twenty one, Jim Phelps was living in a small cabin on Moon Valley Road, a patch of rural Missouri surrounded by dense ozark woods. He was a quiet, reclusive person who spent most of his time at the cabin. His closest friend, Tim Norton, was a long haul trucker, also with a habit of keeping to himself, and yet somehow, women kept finding their way to that cabin. One was a nineteen year old woman named Amanda. She also stayed at the cabin for a few weeks after life became too crowded at Tim's place, Cassidy Rainwater, whose life was unraveling, had come to the cabin searching for solitude and some kind of sanctuary. Like Amanda, she was private, guarded, not quick to share her world. Their paths only crossed briefly before Amanda moved out. A few weeks later, Cassidy was gone too, but unlike Amanda, she didn't choose her next destination. She simply disappeared. After six weeks with no sign of her, she was reported missing by a family member. The last person to have seen her was Jim Phelps. One night, deputies drove out to Moon Valley Road. The cabin was lit only by a porch bulb and their headlights. Otherwise it was an opaque kind of darkness. They knocked, asking Jim where Cassidy was.
Speaker 8: Haii Sheriff's office?
Speaker 10: How howdye?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Is a Cassidy here?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: No, I was seen her in Wait?
Speaker 8: Really, well, I'm trying to check on her.
Speaker 7: You know her?
Speaker 8: You know Cassidy?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know, Well, I've been trying to check on her.
Speaker 1: Jim Phelps over six feet tall, bald, with glasses and a white Beard came to the cabin door, wearing only jeans and a dog tag around his neck. He looked relatively harmless, at least for OZARKI and Missouri.
Speaker 8: Do you have a phone number for her? Nope? Okay, do you want to look at Oh? No, she's not here. She's not here. She's not in any trouble. They're just worried about her. Do you know maybe where she's at?
Speaker 7: Last I heard she was going to Colorado?
Speaker 8: Going to Colorado? Yeah, Oh, do you know what's over there? She never told you?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 10: How long?
Speaker 3: How long ago?
Speaker 13: Was that?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 8: Well, if she comes back, or if she comes and busys, shed appreciate if you'd call us so we can tell, you know, tell her family that she's okay. So all right, Well, I guess.
Speaker 10: I'll be out of here.
Speaker 1: You mean to tell me that. In the whole time Cassidy was staying there under his roof, he didn't even have her phone number. Come on. Just a few weeks later, on September sixteenth, twenty twenty one, an anonymous email lands in the FBI's tip line inbox. Attached are pictures, all labeled with the same name Cassidy. The first picture stops the FBI agent cold. It's a woman in a cage, blonde hair bear from the waist up, crouched in the cage with her knees pulled tightly against her chest. She has a vacant stare in between and the steel bars. He sees the room behind. This is a large animal cage, but it's inside a room. It's inside someone's house. He clicks to the next frame, and the scenery is outside old weather sheds, piles of scrap, and a tall metal frame. To most people it's nothing, but he's seen enough hunting setups to know what this is. A deer gantry. The details fall into place in his head, the wood grain on the walls, the layout of the yard and all of its clutter. Whoever sent him this email wasn't trying to hide anything. They wanted him to know exactly where this was. And as he stares at the screen, one thought is very clear. Whatever is happening out there on Moon Valley Road, it's probably already too late to stop it. On the same day, Dallas County detectives get a warrant and show up in broad daylight. They want to compare the scenery to the photos this time, the officer stops the car halfway up the gravel lane when he sees Jim's dog on a long leash, and then spots Jim walking slowly across the yard. Now he's fully clothed, but still is nonchalant as last time. Nope, I haven't seen her.
Speaker 12: Hello, how you doing okay? Yeah, uh well, I was just following up with you on Cassidy and it's been once.
Speaker 3: It been a couple of weeks since we've been here, and.
Speaker 12: We haven't heard a peep out over you know, So I'm just gonna see maybe you'd heard anything out of her or anything extra. You can send us to do follow ups arm some We're coming up pretty.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 12: He doesn't like it, does he?
Speaker 1: Actually, he wants you to play with him. Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 12: The the last time I was here, I was walking by him and.
Speaker 7: He grabbed hold of me.
Speaker 12: I didn't know if he was trying to play or.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: The dog looks well cared for. So does Jim actually, but as unbothered as he seems, his posture says a lot. While his voice is easy, his words are compliant. He almost immediately folds his arms tightly across his chest. They call that a defensive posture.
Speaker 7: Jim.
Speaker 12: The last time I was here, let me get a piece of paper. I uh, I got to do a big report on it and stuff, and I have, Jim felt, but I won't have any room for it.
Speaker 1: I just wonder if I get that from you? Okay, Jim Phelps?
Speaker 7: Is it Jim James Eliot Man.
Speaker 1: James Philps.
Speaker 7: What's your data? Birth January thirteen sixty three.
Speaker 1: If you pay close attention, Jim is getting increasingly anxious. Listen for his nervous laugh.
Speaker 7: I guess you know your social.
Speaker 14: Media thirteen years in military? Yeah, I know, Yeah, you remember those things after that, long after the.
Speaker 1: First day or so.
Speaker 14: Yeah, remember you remember it.
Speaker 1: You don't want to have to go back there dig it out?
Speaker 3: What's that number again?
Speaker 14: I remember going to go through MEPs.
Speaker 3: It was like, because I didn't know mine, I had my car. It's like every time I turned around, I was digging it out.
Speaker 5: By the end of that day.
Speaker 12: I had it by the end of the first day, rattled it off without a problem.
Speaker 1: And you still can't today.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 12: There was a picture that I had come across of Cassidy and I was wondering if it was done here, would you mind if I looked at your backyard? In my backyard, Yeah, there's a picture taken over with a stump in the background. Do you have anything like that in.
Speaker 4: The back yard.
Speaker 7: I don't have a stump.
Speaker 4: Stump.
Speaker 12: You might have to take a look recruiting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, back, here's my boy.
Speaker 1: Jim tries to brush it off, saying the only thing back there is this hoist. But once they step into the yard, it's like walking right into the pictures themselves three D now, not just images on a page. The hoist, the clutter, the leaning sheds, every detail of the image lines up.
Speaker 12: Get up against that truck right now. Get your hands on that truck. Do not fuck with me. Get up there on that truck, on the truck, hands behind your back.
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 7: Kay?
Speaker 12: Going on, mister Phelps? Yeah, the right to remain silent. Anything you say cannon willbeasies against you in a court of law.
Speaker 1: You know how the rest of that goes. In fact, you probably have it memorized.
Speaker 12: You understand your rights. Yeah, Okay, what's going on right now? You're under arrest for the homicide of Cassidy Rainwater.
Speaker 3: What's the app of my dog.
Speaker 7: We'll talk about that in just a little bit.
Speaker 1: To understand who Jim Phelps was, you have to hear from John Warren. He's the man who actually owned the cabin on Moon Valley Road. He wasn't just a landlord. He was family. He was Jim Phelps's brother in law and rented property to Jim for a mere two hundred dollars a month plus utilities. Keep in mind the place was no mansion. This guy also knew Cassidy because her grandfather, Bill Rainwater, used to be his neighbor.
Speaker 3: So that's when you met Cassie. When she's a kid.
Speaker 4: She was just who came out of the film one day.
Speaker 2: I kind of find out about two years later her mother disappeared, and about twenty years later who had done it?
Speaker 4: Him? When how it happened that her boyfriend meet her death and put her in.
Speaker 2: A box and to grew out in a very in shallow gray on the intro. Found that out twenty years later.
Speaker 4: Where was that over Lukely again?
Speaker 3: Who was your boyfriend?
Speaker 4: I don't know. Bill told me about it.
Speaker 1: In other words, John Warren wasn't just Jim Phelps landlord and brother in law. He was linked to all of them. He tied Jim to the property, and he tied Cassidy to a family history already marked by violence. Her mother's murder, hidden for twenty years, had only come to light a few years before Cassidy herself would disappear. John said Cassidy was going through a hard time. Finding out her mother was murdered was probably part of that, and so he and his wife were trying to help her.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, robbing head and that you go to sut because now you get.
Speaker 7: It.
Speaker 1: Seemed like John Warren was kind of a grandfather to Cassidy. He tried to help her, but she stole from his wife, and he continued trying to help a recovering addict. He told Jim Phelps that to use his property there was a zero tolerance policy for drugs. He told Cassidy the same thing before he allowed her to stay on the property with Jim. By the time Cassidy was staying there, Amanda had already been in and out of the cabin. Their time overlapped, and Amanda remembered Cassidy as quiet and uneasy, not comfortable with strangers coming around. Apparently, John, the property owner felt the same way. Yet another friend of Tim's was making herself at home without getting permission and this little.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 4: Not got anything on wast uh.
Speaker 2: And I said you might want to us mom on hood if are you And she told me.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm Tim's friend.
Speaker 2: Well, Tams friends, you need to use your ass down here and get your.
Speaker 4: Stuff back your lean because does not are the deal orderstand.
Speaker 2: He's a caplace, he's working there.
Speaker 15: All week and she's staying there. Desn't try to find out? Uh recent that they called me Jim was in the.
Speaker 4: Hospital and just person was in the.
Speaker 2: Camps getting you out of there as as she walked out door locked on the door because of MS in my hospital and kill as the other key.
Speaker 3: Jim's at the hospital and you kt Tim's friend out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a friend out and uh that was an amazing thing. Kim was able to come down and pick her up. And he was supposed to be there until two or three days m h. And imagine that he actually was able to show up a couple of hours later.
Speaker 1: None of this was sitting well with John. He made it clear he didn't like Tim hanging around the property. Tim always seemed to be lurking around the corner, quick to show up, always in Jim's shadow. John said he never wanted him out there in the first place. Meanwhile, on September sixteenth, Jim was already in custody. Deputies sit him down and ask about Cassidy. He doesn't give them much. He sticks to his story. She talked about going to Colorado. She left in the middle of the night, someone picked her up, and he hadn't seen her since. When they press, he deflects, even whining about his dog, and then he shuts up completely. He wants a lawyer, he says. Investigators still have an angle. Though his friend Tim Norton, it seems pretty clear he's a big player in whatever happened to Cassidy, and if he isn't an active participant, he at least knows stuff, a lot of stuff. Detectives bring him into another room. Compared to Jim, he is easier prey. Where Jim had clammed up, Tim talked so much that he couldn't hold his story straight for more than five minutes. At first, he flat out to nies knowing anything about Cassidy's disappearance. He says he didn't see her, doesn't know what happened and doesn't have a clue. But when asked about her relationship with Jim, he's got a lot to say.
Speaker 3: Were they in a sexual relationship?
Speaker 9: Not that I know him. I know he talked about that. She said she was going to do certain things, well, that she would spend night and you'll sleep with him and stuff. I'm lord, I know nothing ever happened, because he always he was always aggravated after she left because she didn't knew she said she was going to do that.
Speaker 3: Okay. So so it's your understanding that Jim thought that the two of them may at some point we have a romantic or sexual relationship, Okay, but you don't think it ever happened based on non Okay.
Speaker 1: Both Jim and Tim were annoyed with Cassidy for different reasons, but the property owner kept sticking up for her.
Speaker 3: I didn't like her, Okay. What about Jim?
Speaker 9: He do he tolerated because of John.
Speaker 3: He tolerated her because of John and John again being the person who owns the property.
Speaker 9: Jim tried to keep her eye on the property for a while. After a while after she's thrown the rings, Okay, but she would go to John and get John. Okay, ever, come out there and stay into Kevin. Jim hands her tighten.
Speaker 1: They believe John when he said she had stolen jewelry from his wife, but John was willing to forgive her. But later a collection of Tim's knives went missing from the cabin, and Tim blamed Cassidy. Tim and Jim's plan escalated quickly. What started as talk of confronting her turned into restraining her and ended with killing her. By that point, Cassidy had already spent time locked inside a dog cage.
Speaker 3: How did that progress?
Speaker 7: That one?
Speaker 3: I do believe.
Speaker 9: Progressed with him saying he wanted her dead?
Speaker 3: Okay, I was about.
Speaker 9: To tell you that she was accusing me and or mister Fellows of kidnapping her or killing her, or I'm not sure exactly what she was.
Speaker 1: Cassidy accused them outright of kidnapping her and planning to kill her, and that, according to Tim, pissed Jim off even more.
Speaker 3: And so during that planning process between you and mister Phelps, was anyone else ever a part of that?
Speaker 9: Yes, there was one version, one time, maybe two times.
Speaker 14: M No was there.
Speaker 3: Her name was Amanda.
Speaker 1: Golly, don't let Amanda's small baby voice fool you into thinking she was innocent. She insisted she wasn't his girlfriend. He was too old for her, she had her age limits, no X, nothing to see here. But she was much more involved than she said.
Speaker 3: Fellows Kidd, neithers have ever talked about folks.
Speaker 10: They talked about, you know, like hunting stuff like that, like deer and stuff, fish, fishing and stuff like that, but never killing anyone.
Speaker 4: How about yea.
Speaker 10: They made jokes, They're like, oh, she's pretty, I'll take her home. They kind of stopped, but you know, I never thought anything of it, because, like I said, when I'm a beast human they were sweet men. They were really nice. They were carried.
Speaker 1: But their jokes may not have been jokes at all. I mean, who jokes about that. Detectives were already onto the fact that they weren't joking. They had text messages and Facebook dialogue between the two of them. If there was any doubt about how dark Jim and Tim's conversations got, the messages they sent each other erased it. Jim told Tim flat out, you.
Speaker 7: Need to bring me a woman. I don't care where you get her.
Speaker 1: Tim didn't push back. He asked, where do you want me to get her? Jim's answer was as casual as it was chilling.
Speaker 7: Parking lots are good. Big lots is a good place to people watch. I can watch women all day.
Speaker 1: And it didn't stop there. Jim bragged, I've.
Speaker 7: Been watching the girls in town. One day, I'm going to have one tied up out here.
Speaker 1: Then came the line that made investigator's stomachs turn.
Speaker 7: I want fresh meat, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: We hear at Sorinscale, did a little digging and found someone who almost got caught up and Tim Norton's web This is red.
Speaker 16: So my name is Lauren. I at the time was in college in twenty twenty one. I believe I can't remember what month he got arrested, but I do remember that it was about two weeks after I had met him. After I had met Timothy, I was working at a Buffalo Wild Wings in like middle of nowhere college town, South Georgia. But whenever I was there, I had the patio section in the morning, which was typically nobody was really out there, and so I was just trying to make conversations see if I could get a tip, and he didn't really want anything from me, but he wanted to talk more than I think most people want to talk to their waitress. And when he had come through, he had said something about being a truck driver from Missouri.
Speaker 1: Ren described Tim as looking much older than his fifties and having what she described as a strangely flat face. The conversation started somewhat normally.
Speaker 16: He started off asking if I like my job, and I said, not really, but it pays the bills. He had told me I should get a rich boyfriend so I don't have to work this job anymore, and he wouldn't let a woman work like that, And that's when it started getting kind of weird. But it got creepy when he started asking me if we had any cameras in the parking lots and what time I got off work.
Speaker 1: The text messages alone suggested that Tim and Jim were a team, just as they'd always been. There's not a lot of information out there about who they were, but they described each other as brothers. Within the team, it seemed Tim was the scout, or maybe more like a predatory lion, hunting during the day and bringing the kill back to share.
Speaker 16: He had ended up telling me that he was a truck driver from Missouri, and he knew I seventy five like the back of his hand. And like when I say that it sounded like a threat. Sometimes people don't understand what I mean. But the way that he looked at me and the tone that he said it was like, I know where I'm going. I don't need to leave a trail to tell you I was there.
Speaker 3: It was just it was weird.
Speaker 16: And the way that he looked at me and also at a lot of the other girls that were working there, just seemed very predatory.
Speaker 1: We haven't even scratched the surface here. Back at the investigation, detectives had a broad idea of what actually went on the day that Tim and Jim decided to make Cassidy go away. Still, they had no idea how many details Tim would give them, and it all corroborated what Amanda was finally revealing, however minimized, she presented herself.
Speaker 6: I tell you, he didn't tell me he killed her, No, but I know that they were jokes made.
Speaker 10: The jokes that were made was that if they were to kill someone, they would cut them up in the little.
Speaker 1: Pisis that I'm in the Woods. Good joke, right.
Speaker 11: He never told me he killed her as far as I came, but he never told me. Yes, we need to trying to remember that conversation.
Speaker 3: If we had a conversation.
Speaker 1: I don't know about you, but if someone told me they wanted to get rid of somebody and then joked about how if they did it, they'd cut them into little pieces. I kind of remember that. But oh wait, just kidding. She did remember, Oh my god, I did.
Speaker 10: She was talking about how she had stolen something from him and that he had he had helped restrain her and die him and Jim like Apparently Jim looked at her, and Cassie looked at him and said why.
Speaker 11: He said, because you said that.
Speaker 10: I wouldn't that I've done it before. I didn't think anything of that.
Speaker 11: Oh my god, I thought.
Speaker 17: He was joking.
Speaker 7: I seriously did.
Speaker 10: Did me thinking it was a joke?
Speaker 7: Is? Yes?
Speaker 11: Uh, she's getting here.
Speaker 1: I guess it was all too easy for Amanda to play dumb when the story lined up exactly with what Tim admitted to telling her. Unlike Amanda, Tim didn't have the luxury of hiding behind just joking. When detectives pushed the thin wall denial cracked first to slip, then a fragment, and then a flood. What he finally confessed, piece by piece is the kind of thing you can't unhear.
Speaker 3: Okay, eight o'clock in the morning on in the in late July. So the sun is up, sun, okay, bright up in there with that, okay, so you can see, you think you can see clearly, okay. And and the person whose legs that you grabbed, it was cassidy ing water. Okay, all right, So you you had you were holding your legs. You you already described how you knelt down and were holding her knees I think is what you said.
Speaker 9: Yeah, right out of the right under her knee area.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 9: So he did mootibilized all of her leg I mean, I've got enough training and stuff and I don't know how to do that.
Speaker 3: And then and then what did Jim do?
Speaker 9: Well there again because I had my head down, but I really didn't see what he originally started doing. I did look up, and he was trying to get the bag of her head. Not not this way, just this way.
Speaker 4: And she was.
Speaker 9: I mean say she was yelling, but she was talking a little louder than normal, okay, asking why? Why? Why? And that's when I looked at him to see what he was gonna say, and I seen his eyes and at that point, I told you, at that point, I wasn't sure about my life.
Speaker 1: At first, Tim said he just held her legs well. Jim used a bag and then his hands. But as the questions kept coming, the details got darker. He finally admitted he joined in his own hands, tightening around her throat until she stopped struggling. All in all, it took thirty minutes to strangle the life out of her. Afterwards, they left her body lying there before dragging it outside toward the gantry. This was the same gantry that would later show up in those photographs. The gantry stood in the Ozark woods, where it held captive numerous corpses of deer, cattle, pork, and who knows what else has the blood drained from them, Only this time that would be a human. It would be a mother.
Speaker 14: At least.
Speaker 1: This is the only time the detectives knew about that night. The two men worked methodically knives, buckets, plastic wrap. Tim told the officers how they cut her legs apart, piece by piece. He described it flatly, as if they were reading instructions off a page. Tim acted like he had no vested interest in doing this, but he was lying. He thought she was a liar and a thief, and in his words, he didn't deal with people like that.
Speaker 9: And then he walked over to the crank crank, he cranked it up, raising her up like you know, he referred her to like them, and there's no better way to put it to her head off first, wash Mason, how country find you are to me? To big around, which would be not unusual. It was processing a deer or whatever. He took over her head, put it in there, and then he started cutting, rode down the centers, so all I'm running the guts.
Speaker 3: Everything went down.
Speaker 1: There, piece by piece. Cassidy's body was carved apart, dropped into buckets like waste at a slaughterhouse.
Speaker 3: And so he handed you the camera and asked you to take a picture. Yeah, and what did you take a picture of?
Speaker 9: Standing there? To her?
Speaker 3: Okay, somebody, it's not coming in.
Speaker 9: I think he reached out a.
Speaker 3: Red for head and pulled it up like posing on the body.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean he was standing up almost straight.
Speaker 1: Jim even had Tim take a picture he was posing with Cassidy's head like a trophy buck. Tim claims he was emotionless and just following Jim's orders. Hand me this take away that like a butcher's assistant.
Speaker 9: He started cutting one off. And after he split her down the middle, you're not just gutting or the splitting, and he went to the corner parts there again, knowing what we did with regular carcasses, he just begin natural to do it.
Speaker 1: We know you love true crime, but if you ever find yourself saying it feels natural to cut a human into pieces, I'm sorry, but there's no help for you. You're fucked. Jim wasn't finished. What he did next crossed the line from killing to desecration, the kind of act that makes investigators question whether this was about murder at all or something far more primal.
Speaker 9: He cut off from moves. Okay, answer, you don't tell you, I'll tell you. He put in the bowl, Okay, the moves he's doing the book.
Speaker 3: When you say you're talking about the bucket.
Speaker 9: And the scrub washman of the washman, all the guts and.
Speaker 1: Everything, Jim was all about trophies. Apparently they got rid of her like she was nothing more than a carcass According to Tim, Jim had him dig a hole and barrier head the visceral remains. The guts were carried off in buckets and dumped in the woods. Let the animals do their jobs. In Tim's words, the rest was butchered, quartered, and handled peace by piece. When investigators later served a warrant, they opened a freezer on the property. Inside they found packages of meat. Some were labeled deer, some coon, and every other form of wildlife you could imagine. But they also found neatly wrapped packs labeled simply seven twenty four, the day they murdered and processed Cassidy. This raised a question darker than anything investigators were prepared for. Was this murder for murder's sake? Or had Cassidy Rainwater been killed, butchered and prepared for something else? And then the biggest mystery of all, why would anyone, whether it was Tim, Jim or another accomplice, send those pictures straight to the FBI. It could only have been for some kind of sick bragging or proof that more people were involved, and there may have been more victims.
Speaker 18: Now there are more questions than answers in the disappearance of a thirty three year old Missouri woman, Cassidy Rainwater, hasn't been seen or heard from since at least July twenty fifth, With Rainwater still missing, two men, Timothy Norton and James Helps, are in custody in charge with kidnapping and connection to the case.
Speaker 3: They're accused of.
Speaker 18: Locking her up in a cage inside this small cabin near Lebanon, Missouri. Adding to the mystery, just hours before both men were scheduled to make their first appearance in court, that same cabin burned to the ground. The Dallas County Sheriff's office has been tight lipped about the case, and a lengthy post online the sheriff condemned rumors about the case, adding quote, no, you are not entitled to a play by play of an ongoing investigation. If you want to be in the know, we are hiring, along with every other law enforcement agency in the country.
Speaker 1: The property was burned to the ground just days before their first court appearance. To this day, by the way, no one has been charged officially. Investigators said it was a propane tank explosion, but for a community already buzzing with rumors of cages, body parts, and cannibalism. It only deepened the paranoia. The Sheriff's department was frustrated and issued a harsh statement to the public. But here's the problem. The stories weren't all wrong. The cage was real, the pictures were real. The meat in the freezer was real. It wasn't hard to put two and two together. If cassidy was packaged like venison, where exactly was this meat going to end up? The Ozarks are creepy. Put it that way. You've seen the TV show I hope. It's a great show, by the way, and the characters in it are pretty spot on. Those hill people are weird, man, There's no other way to put it. By late summer of twenty twenty one, Dallas County, Missouri was giving the best example of what is dark and creepy about the Ozarks. A lonely cabin on Moon Valley Roads, surrounded by thick Ozark woods seem like just another rundown property, hidden from view like so many others in the back country. Jim Phelps lived there, a reclusive man with interests in BDSM. His closest friend was Tim Norton, a truck driver who hovered around Jim's orbit, more follower than leader, At least that's how he described their relationship. Both men had reputations for keeping to themselves, but also for letting strangers, especially young women, drift into their lives. Cassidy Rainwater was one of them. She was a thirty three year old mother trying to put her life back together after years of setbacks. By August, she was staying at the cabin because the property owner told her she could. Within weeks, she had disappeared. What happened next was no mystery of the woods. Jim and Tim got tired of her existence and strangled her to death. They cortered her body on a gaantry like game and left investigators with photographs that looked more like hunting trophies than evidence of a crime. They say she stayed willingly, that she climbed into a dog cage willingly and stole from them freely. But these allegations weren't true. She had no idea what she was getting herself into, and before she knew it, she was a captive. If this could happen to her, who else could it? Or did it happen? To Text messages between Tim and Jim suggested they were constantly on the prowl looking for women worse yet probably underage girls. They even suggested that Tim may have been bringing women or girls back after being on the road as a trucker. The messages were always cryptic and coded. Wren, the young woman you heard from before, remembers her first hand experience.
Speaker 3: One of the.
Speaker 16: First things that I thought after he left was, there's no way that man doesn't have like people in his basement. He's weird.
Speaker 1: What Wren didn't know was that Tim Norton was worse than weird. He was, in fact a predator of young women.
Speaker 16: I thought that he was like a little too old to be doing all this, and especially too old to be hitting on women who were God, I was probably twenty two at the time.
Speaker 18: Like he was.
Speaker 16: The conversation that I had with him, I've never had anybody speak to me that way, so I remembered him. But when that mugshot came up, I remember being in my college apartment and it had come across like CNN or some like big. It was a mainstream thing, and I saw it and immediately I texted my friend that I worked with, and I said, do you remember that creepy guy that I was telling you about, Like, I swear to God, this is him. And then I read kind of more about who he was and what he did, and when I saw trucker from Missouri, I was like, oh my god, that's that's him.
Speaker 1: Fortunately, Wren had enough life experience and confidence to keep Tim at a distance, and she immediately reported what had happened.
Speaker 16: I had talked to my general manager and I said, this guy is weird and he's asking me all these weird questions. I need you to, like let the other girls know that they need to have somebody walk them to their cars tonight. I don't know how long he's going to be here, but he doesn't seem like he has a lot going on, and he kind of blew me off. And then, you know, one or two ish weeks later, I came back in with the mugshot pulled up and I said, you know, this is the guy that I was telling you about, Like, I'm serious, we need more cameras.
Speaker 1: Right before Tim left the restaurant after staying way too long without ordering food, Wren remembered the feeling she got from him.
Speaker 16: I noticed that he looked sort of satisfied that I was on comfortable, like he really enjoyed that what he was saying was kind of making me squirm, Like I really obviously didn't want to speak to him, and he knew that, and I think that that was kind of part of the game for him.
Speaker 1: Wren's experience offered a glimpse of how Tim would operate in public, unsettling, inappropriate, and just weird. But in his own words, he gave investigators an even darker view of what was happening back at the cabin where he and Jim hung out. During his interview, Tim admitted that both he and Jim were into BDSM, but Jim took it even further. He interacted online with all kinds of women, including minors, in his sick fantasy world. According to Tim, Jim was more to blame. He maintained he had only stumbled across the content on Jim's hard drive. He described it almost casually, like it was just another hobby.
Speaker 13: He ever talked to you about those sarems, Yeah, you mentioned that they were repellent stuff, and like, what's still kind of chaverrages, you know.
Speaker 4: Some of them were more of.
Speaker 13: The darker BDSM and that type of lifestyles.
Speaker 4: And some of my lifestyle, so you know, I mean I know a little bit about it.
Speaker 9: Most of them known from him, you know, as far as what it is.
Speaker 4: And I'm a little hot, isn't it?
Speaker 3: What he didn't dobots maybe, but that you continue to stay with it and.
Speaker 7: What like that.
Speaker 13: I didn think in particular that I don't know if he got into it or not. I mean, he talked to you, do he had to introduce with him, you know.
Speaker 3: Like well some of the weirdest stuff that you would talk about in there.
Speaker 13: I don't know what he talks about in the cabins, but he told you about some makes you went. I mean you mentioned, you know, this person from Sweden or this person from this country and some other.
Speaker 17: Guns he was talting to do about it.
Speaker 4: And that was about it.
Speaker 1: But that wasn't all of it. Tim downplayed everything what they thought about, what they talked about, and what they actually did. But investigators compared his story against the phone records and Facebook messages, and the reality looked far worse than what Tim admitted. Jim's collection of bondage pictures and messages, all contained in labeled folders, included women hanging on crosses, and women in cages. There was even a folder named milking. This contained sick images of women tied up with their breasts connected to cow milking devices. There were other folders labeled kids in cages and nude babies, no description needed.
Speaker 4: He had never.
Speaker 13: Mentioned that she might be into it, whether you know he'd be Will's trial. I mean, I know he has some medius and sons, like what you have a harness, it's some pankos, angel shackles, hearing how much sort of stuff like that, you know, adult enjoyables, And that's what I can play it.
Speaker 4: And then there's a tail in there and whips.
Speaker 1: And other things to each his own right, live and let live, right, all that shit. But there's a big difference between consensual role play and being a predator, an older man waiting for vulnerable women to be delivered to him or to stumble into his trap like a fly in the grips of a venus fly trap, like Cassidy did, for example. And it's an entirely different matter for someone to end up the way Cassidy did in a freezer. You've heard the phrase where there's smoke, oh there's fire. Well, where there's a freezer full of human meat fill in the blank. Tim had even written a macabre story on the topic. Not only that, it's clear he did some intense research on the subject of cannibalism.
Speaker 9: It's like, no, I do, and I don't want to know why you're doing this, okay, because that made me rethink of the story he had read when I was kind of stupid and it was hard to have looking for movies or so, and I seen it was what's this? I don't read it. It's like, no, I don't want to know if he's that's what he's finally doing because I don't know.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 9: You know, if you've remember correctly when you said something about cannibalism when you first interviewed me, I said, if you can take my bunk shot, tell me if I am, because I desire myselbject who I had if.
Speaker 1: I had hard to hear. But that was Tim telling the detectives that they might want to analyze his blood for human DNA like someone else's, if that's possible, because if he had partaken in Jim's sick cannibal fantasy, he didn't know about it. Yeah, sure, he's been to a few barbecues at Jim since the murderer. But who was to say, do.
Speaker 3: You know if his intention was to consume to eat some of that flesh.
Speaker 9: At a time? Honestly no?
Speaker 3: But since then maybe okay?
Speaker 9: Why maybe because he cuts the genitalia out and he kept it.
Speaker 3: And do you know what he did with the genitalium?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 9: I did not.
Speaker 3: Okay, as far as I know, thinks in a way. I don't know. Have you told someone else something different?
Speaker 9: No, I've had several people, and it's running Joe the odds. Then I was a cannibal, and then he used it to make a sandwich with and several things like that. He said, it's a Ronning joke, you know, And I've done my best form of everybody. I didn't need it, and I have no idea what you're talking about. Yeah, they still make a joke out of it, and sometimes I make jokes with other people. I own just find alone with the cannibal situation. But I didn't need any of it. I didn't touch it. I don't know what he did with it.
Speaker 18: You know.
Speaker 9: I know what I've heard, I know what what I've seen on the Newson that I don't know anything else.
Speaker 1: Here's a good example of the way Tim would minimize. He pretended that he only went along with the jokes about cannibalism in jail because he didn't want any trouble, but he later admitted to signing autographs for money under the name Hannibal the Annibal. While Jim stayed silent through the days following Cassidy's murder, all of Tim's minimizing and Amanda's beliefs that it was all a joke couldn't change the overwhelming evidence that both Jim and Tim had viciously murdered Cassidy and Amanda knew about it. Eventually, the courtroom knew about it too.
Speaker 5: Appearing in person for the first time since being charged in mid September, James Phelps was escorted into a Dallas County courtroom and asked if his defense was aware of the new first degree murder charge filed against him. The judge quickly took up his attorney's motion to set a bond, with phelps public defender, arguing Phelps is not a flight risk, having spent most of his life in the area, ties to.
Speaker 17: The community using white ball residence of the area, with the exception of a brief set in the military.
Speaker 3: In Saint Louis for about three years.
Speaker 5: Attorney Sam Gearhart's as Phelps had only face charges of writing bad checks and illegal hunting in the past, but prosecutors argue Phelps poses a danger to the community, especially those that are caring for Cassidy Rainwaters children.
Speaker 17: Saints position is he probably needs to be held a lot.
Speaker 4: For the community.
Speaker 5: City prosecuting attorney Jonathan Barker tells the court Phelps co defendant Timothy Norton confessed to deputies he and Phelps would search for potential victims online and at a local Walmart.
Speaker 9: This case that this particular is.
Speaker 17: That online is talking with the potential victors, even having Jewish to appear at his location.
Speaker 7: The word.
Speaker 17: Itselfware code defensives to be brought back his location, where he discusses with that that he really.
Speaker 4: Fast harm or kield them.
Speaker 5: And prosecutors also said tonight they are weighing all options in phelps case, including possibly seeking the death penal.
Speaker 1: By twenty twenty three, the courts had delivered their verdict. In April, Jim Phelps centered an Alford plea to first degree murder, meaning he knew that prosecutors had enough evidence to convict him, but he still maintained his innocence. The judge senced him to life in prison with the possibility of parole. In June, Timothy Norton pleaded guilty to the same charge and received an identical sentence, life without parole. As part of his plea agreement, charges of kidnapping and abandonment of a corpse were dropped. Cassidy's son, Aiden, has spoken about his mother, saying that even though his parents gave him up for adoption at the age of four, he loves her and no she did her best. He admits that adoption was probably the best thing for him. He's had a good life. Aiden has grown up to be a very intelligent and talented young man who plays thirty five different instruments and loves theater. This is what he said at his mom's funeral.
Speaker 3: Think about the memories and.
Speaker 1: Just how great they were.
Speaker 3: She always loves the river.
Speaker 9: It was her favorite place, and I remember her always singing to me as a baby.
Speaker 4: She was a great person.
Speaker 8: She was the hardest working mom I've ever known, and I'm so proud of it, and I wish she should know that sin here.
Speaker 1: Cassidy Rainwater died in the most horrible of circumstances, and what they did to her body after was beyond despicable. She may have fallen through the cracks at the time she landed on Jim's doorstep, but she was a mother, a daughter, and a friend. She just happened to be a who trusted the wrong people. But the question that lingers is bigger than Cassidy. Jim and Tim weren't just two isolated monsters who snapped one day. They were predators, and like all predators, they hunted where they knew the vulnerable lived. For them, it was mostly women on the margins, alone, struggling, sometimes with no place to go. But this was changing. They started stalking in parking lots and restaurants. That's where Ren's insight becomes so important. It could have been her. She crossed paths with Tim before he was caught and put away, and her story shows how monsters like Jim and Tim operated not just with violence, but with patience, with manipulation. They looked for weakness, tested boundaries, and moved in slowly until it was too late. Fortunately for Ren, she knew what to look for. She works as an EMT.
Speaker 16: I don't think I've ever ran into another murderer, but I have, you know, worked cases where people are being trafficked, and like on the side of the road, we're getting people out of cars who are being taken against their will, and it's a lot of the same behavior. It's a lot of that, like I'm out to make you uncomfortable, and I'm betting that you're not going to say anything about it. They look for people who kind of don't hold themselves high, who kind of you shrink your shoulders, you make yourself small, you stay out of the way, and a lot of people think that like being out of sight in a way makes them a little safer, and it just makes it easier for the people who don't want to do horrible things to you to not notice you, to not see you when you need help. And like a lot of I've read a lot of studies about serial killers, and you know, the way that they picked their victims is who's the smallest person in the room that doesn't look very sure of themselves.
Speaker 1: Cassidy may have been vulnerable, but she was strong willed and stubborn. According to everyone in your that is but see, Jim and Tim didn't seek her out. She landed there and she became a problem for them because she didn't want to give in to their demands. She didn't want a sexual relationship with Jim. Even Tim acknowledged that, and she paid for with her life.
Speaker 16: Another thing that I wanted to touch on is like the packaged meat of it all, the cannibalism was the craziest part of it for me to read, because it was one of those things, especially like again, as the information is coming out, you see it and it's so out there and weird and wrong that you kind of don't want to believe it. But then again, like and especially getting in the line of work that I'm in now, there are definitely people that, like beyond your worst imagination, will do things like that or kind of surround themselves with people that are cool with stuff like that. I don't know. I don't know if society as a whole just wants to push all the ugly stuff under the rug and don't think about it, and that happens far away and you know, it'll never be my problem. And a lot of this stuff is happening like in these tiny middle of nowhere unincorporated towns and like counties that have just woods forever. It's hiding kind of in plain sight.
Speaker 1: Dallas County Police didn't find evidence that the human meat in Jim's freezer was ever shared or sold, but absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence bone appetite. That's gonna do it for another one. If you're new here, head on over to Swordinscale dot com for more until next week. Stay safe.
Speaker 16: M M.
Speaker 14: Mike, you are so funny.
Speaker 15: You crack me up.
Speaker 2: Dude. Keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 3: You're making so many.
Speaker 2: People laugh at but we don't sneak out, you know what I mean, So all you hear is the negative from the nagaie.
Speaker 13: You know, negatives, negatives.
Speaker 2: Take care, Mike, and thank you. Don't believe they hate us