Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six.
Speaker 2: Forty joining us as he's going to do every single Tuesday night now is Nick Paliochini. We're gonna find out what's up comma with Nick Poliochanni.
Speaker 3: Not what's up with Nick? Right, what's wrong with him?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: I mean, let's be real though we do kind of come up both side. We do all sides of it. But good to be back, see, good to see you as well, good to be seen. And the thing that I was going to talk about, and you've kind of touched on it, but the thing is, it is Valentine's Day this week. We also have Singles Awareness Day, which started in twenty one, two thousand and one. There's a Singles Awareness Yeah. So here's the funniest thing. I even did like a little bit of my like chat GPT deep dottail. So. Singles Awareness Day originated in two thousand and one when a high school student named Dustin Barnes, along with his friends, decided to create a day to celebrate being single as a protest against Valentine's Day, choosing February fifteenth as the date to highlight their Singles Day status and then often selling discounted Valentine's are like going and getting all the discounted Valentine's candy and everything else and using those as part of the celebration for it.
Speaker 3: So anyway, and that's also Gallentine's.
Speaker 5: Day, Okay, like Galentine's Day, then Gallentine's Day would pretty much be the same, but specifically for ladies. So for you to get together with your female friends or you know, however you identify it sounds like a sex party. I mean it could be, because I mean, and I have plenty of friends who would be happy to put together a toupwar party. That's very much down that line, because I got lots of friends in the.
Speaker 3: Aware party.
Speaker 5: Things that do go their their top shelf safe and the dishwasher.
Speaker 3: But they're good, they're good things.
Speaker 5: They're good things. They're good things. They might be called marital aids or enhancements or enhancements additions too. But anyway, so it's a busy weekend. It's a busy week this week. It's a busy weekend because you've got that, and also it's a holiday weekend because the President's Day. So for me, I've got some things. You know that I like to a little bit off the wall and be a little bit different. So one of the things that's really bizarre in all of my deep dives of things have been fun for you to do during the week or for Friday, is going to be Blind Date Live.
Speaker 3: So this is.
Speaker 5: Literally put on by the Upright Citizen's Brigade in downtown LA and it is going to be where you are watching a lie a blind date happen in front of you. So you actually get to be a fly on the wall. How many times you want to be a file in the wall when you're sitting on a date?
Speaker 2: Okay, and the daters know that they're being well dats know.
Speaker 5: But here's the problem. Here's the setup as I understand it, and it's a bunch of comedians. I mean, if you're familiar with Upright Citizens Brigade, you know, it's kind of like the Groundlings.
Speaker 3: It's it's a lot of improv.
Speaker 5: But what is really entertaining about this is there will be four daters in the audience that do not know they are the contestants on the show.
Speaker 3: Is like prices right, come on down.
Speaker 5: Relatively speaking, kind of think back to you know, you know, the dating game, but they're going to be brought up on stage. So they're being brought to the venue with friends under false pretenses. Oh and then they're going to go up on stage to go on a blind date with the other four contestants kind of thing. And you're gonna watch it unfold. Now, if you want to go see it, their tickets available. You can get them at the link in bio at Nick poulio'keannea this week, Go Nick. But you can also stream it, which I think is even more entertaining.
Speaker 3: This is this is interesting.
Speaker 5: So if you yeah, I was gonna say so, if you and La mouhead they don't have plans on Friday, this might be really fun for ten bucks. So it may not be free ninety nine, but it's pretty darn close. What time is it?
Speaker 3: I work on Fridays? You know. Oh I know that.
Speaker 5: But that's why I say you can well you can do that, but you can stream it here.
Speaker 3: That was I was gonna say.
Speaker 5: So, if you get it ten bucks in advance, fifteen dollars at the door. All the information is at Ucbcomedy dot com, so upright, Citizens Brigade dot com, or you can check out again the link in bio.
Speaker 3: But that's I like it. It's something different.
Speaker 5: It's something that if you're single, if you're a couple, if you're a warrior, if you're an exhibitionist, if you're all the things, it's something that's there for you.
Speaker 3: So that's different and unique to check out.
Speaker 5: But if you're looking for something a little bit more permanent, whether you are single or dating or whatever, how about getting a new tattoo.
Speaker 3: Because you and I both have tattoos quite a few. I have a tattoo and a fraternity brand right.
Speaker 5: And I've got Pinup Girl which is my grandma scorpio and a water crevel clop of the water sign.
Speaker 2: I did both in my twenties and I was pretty safe as far as imagining who I would be in my fifties. I said, yeah, both of these will still apply. Yeah, I don't know what I would get now.
Speaker 5: Well's funny because and I think what you just described there is what I always encourage people because people see the tattoos, and I like, you got them in my twenties, and it's always do you have the people that go and go get there? You know, Hey, I don't want to be not no shaming the tramps stamp yet and I know exactly. But the point is you and I have stories behind ours, yes, and if you're going to go get something permanent on you, that is something that I highly encourage that you get a story.
Speaker 3: And so this is a great opportunity.
Speaker 5: So if you're ever familiar with Friday the thirteenth, that predominantly in tattoo parlors around the country and around the world is when they do flash sales, meaning that for like five and fifty bucks. So on Friday thirteenth, all around the world, you're able to go into most tattoo parlors and just walk in off the street and they'll give you a flash sheet and on that sheet will be a selection of you know, fifteen to twenty tattoos. You can pick something from that for fifty bucks right there, no appointment needed, and you can immediately go in. And it's a lot of what people do for a first tattoo or for that first story, that first experience.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, I was a wild child in my twenties. Oh I get it.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I would now my I'm forty three, and my skin elasticity alone makes me question that well.
Speaker 2: And also I got both of my on my bicep, which would change the least most likely right over the course of forty years.
Speaker 3: And I did the same thing.
Speaker 5: Because I did both, they're all on my lower torso because at the time I was working at Disney and I had planned on being a career Disney person and at that point in time, Disney did not allow you to have visible tattoos. So that was why I planned I was going to be like that guy that was in the military who had all the tattoos all hidden under my clothes.
Speaker 3: So that was kind of how that played out.
Speaker 5: But this year for Valentine's Day, there are a lot of tattoo parlors around the Southland that are actually going to be doing because Valentine's Day is on Friday the fourteenth, They're going to be treating the same concept of that Friday the thirteenth that it usually is. But I've even found a couple of things where you can go in and two for the price of one, you know, one hundred bucks to get two tattoos.
Speaker 3: Which is not two for the price of one, that's fifty bucks each.
Speaker 5: But anyway, Thursday, Friday, Saturday all sorts of tattoo parlors across the south Land all have availability for that. So I think it's fun. I think it's a different thing. It's definitely a unique thing. Now again we've talked about this. Make sure you think about what you're doing, get through and always make sure that you plan because this is I mean, we both have friends I guarantee this, who have names or things that that they should never have done. Yes, so the go iconography. If you're going to do something like that.
Speaker 2: Stefan, do you have a tattoo or if not, have you ever considered I do not, but I did consider getting one.
Speaker 6: It was only because all my cousins got their last name, well it's our last name put on their ankle. I was like, no, that'd be kind of cool. But yeah, so, I mean that's the only one I considered other than that. Not really, Mark, did.
Speaker 3: You ever consider getting like a tramp stamp? Nothing above the coin slot?
Speaker 6: But Stephan, were you concerned that you were all gonna forget your last name? What's the issue there? I don't understand this. No, they just did it. They did it on their own. I was like, that's kind of cool. Maybe I'll do it too. But then I was like, I think people the age of Mo and me, when we were kids, it wasn't a lot of people who had tattoos, and you ran the risk of getting your ass kicked by just asking somebody what their tattoo was, because it was usually somebody who was either a vet or a biker or a prisoner, and they earned those tattoos. It wasn't just like a sorority girl going in and get someone on her ankle. It was there was a story behind every tattoo.
Speaker 2: And we came along where tattoos, especially in the African American community, were frowned upon. You just you didn't see tattoos were not looked upon favorably. I would say in the nineteen seventy along the lines of what Mark was saying, Yeah, you might probably were in a biker gang or something like that.
Speaker 6: I feel like, since I'm not like a combat vetoran, I don't deserve one. But on the other hand, tattoos of both of my late kiddies on each bicep, Wow, that has some appeal.
Speaker 2: No, that that's and I understand that emotionally, and you may be trying to be.
Speaker 3: Funny, but I'm not kidding. I got to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's something makes sense, that's something that's not going to change. And along those lines, my mother got her first tattoo at eighty right is it it's it's actually an homage to my late father and it says big Moe's girl.
Speaker 3: And do we want to know where it is?
Speaker 5: It's on her bicep somewhere around her because I've seen it fourth of July. So like, no, I've seen no, no, because I know your mom. Like I was gonna say, like, I've seen it, so and I have to say that's impressive.
Speaker 3: I'm all mama.
Speaker 5: Yeah, with her her fireball and her uh and then her tattoos.
Speaker 2: Look, she and I would talk before we go to break and I would talk and we would have adult conversations. Now, sure, she will tell me about relatives who passed on. She would tell me stories that would have been considered very embarrassing, you know, ten twenty years ago. And you learn more about your family that way, and then the stories that she tells about them. I learned more about her, and I've learned that I don't want to learn everything.
Speaker 3: About no, no, no, not no.
Speaker 5: And I think that's the thing that we just you know, that's something that I even tapped to with, you know, losing my father. It's that oral history component correct and making sure that to get those stories, because even as time has progressed to the stories change ever so slightly, or they become more embellished, or something gets really unusual. And there's a couple of stories that I'll tell you off the air that are like that.
Speaker 3: So I'll tell you some.
Speaker 2: I won't give the names, but sure I think was what was I think I took her. I took her out for her birthday. Okay, So we were just talking and she was telling me, did you know so and so was gay? No, and you find out like five six family members are either gay, gay, or i'll say multisexual, right because there were no there were.
Speaker 3: No labels back then.
Speaker 2: Of course, you know, you just learn more about your family and then you realize that people are You have a very limited view of them in your family as you grow up. If you learn more about your family members, you probably would have a greater appreciation of people in general.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 5: I think that's and right now, that would be amazing, wouldn't it.
Speaker 3: It would be.
Speaker 2: It's Late with Mo Kelly, Nick Polo Kenny joins me in the studio k if I Am six forty Live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI A M six forty, Last Call.
Speaker 4: And Song to Tell You, Last Call, Songs tell Us This Week, Last Gong.
Speaker 2: K if I Am six forty. It's Mo Kelly and Nick POLYOKEETI as we continue What's Up with Nick. Last segment, we were talking about tattoos, where we have them, why we got them, whether we get others in.
Speaker 5: The future exactly, and if you want to get them this weekend for Valentine's Day, because there's so many opportunities for you would be starting on Thursday, Friday, Saturday. So it's very funny because Valentine's Day is obviously a very commercialized holiday, and so it's a very much Hallmark holiday, if you will, or American greeting card holiday. But you've got Villentine's Day, which is the thirteenth of February, you have Valentine's Day which is the fourteenth, and then you have Singles Awareness Day or Gallantine's Day on the fifteenth, so you've got all of that stuff. Plus then here we are it's all butted up against President's a weekend, So you want to find a place to either show off your tattoo and you or old. How about something a little bit darker in downtown LA. How about something with Cumbia. And I know you love music, but Gothi Cumbia is back and it is a traveling show that goes all around the country. Now it is twenty one and over, but it is Friday, and it is going to be at the l Ray in downtown or sorry, the Regent Theater in Downtown LA. It's been at the l Ray previously, but this year it is at the Regent Theater. And it is incredible if you have attended any of the events before, and it's going to be a really interesting because it's like Cumbia music, and you've got all sorts of other things, but then you also have like dance and electronica. They've gotten many different rooms that are there available for you. So trying to find something that's available for everybody, I guess is what you're saying. Plus we're in a world and we've talked about there's so many times with this weekend with Nick or anything else. Halloween is a year round thing. Halloween, Horror, haunt are all very very popular venues. And so when you've got this like gothic crossover from when we were kids and Gothic was a very specific thing, very very specific, and now those lines of dark black ink have bled into so many areas to the point that you see, you know, I mean, you've got san Rio characters, the most adorable, that's Hello Kitty and Karopi. But you've got Coromi, which is literally the character born on Halloween, that is like the darkness. You've got death metal little characters within that world. So anyway, Gothi Kumi is something that you can check out. Also, there are plenty of burlesque shows that are going on, which is always kind of fun. Got some stuff over at Harvell's and Santa Monica down in Long Beach.
Speaker 3: Again you miss there so long.
Speaker 5: Okay, that we can do and we need to do so we can do double date or whatever not. It's a little challenging with this shift, but you've got Harvelle's in Santa Monica, You've got it here and down.
Speaker 3: In Long Beach.
Speaker 5: So what they were done to Beach for a while they were they did have a location there. I don't think it's still with us. I don't think it survived past the pandemic, like a lot of businesses, but Harvell's, which is near Congregation Ale in Long Beach, I'm a.
Speaker 3: Pretty regular there, or have been in the past.
Speaker 5: So but anyway, also because it is an extended holiday weekend, it might be time for you to Oh no, there was one more thing I want to talk about. This one is kind of interesting. It came up on my radar. There's such a focus on health. Obviously, we just came out of January and so you know, New Year's resolutions have probably gone out the window by now we're in February. But there is a place called I'm guessing it's Live or Live West Hollywood, and it is also going to be opening a new location in downtown LA somewhere here in the near future. But you can go for a couple's ice chill, so where they have the cryo chambers that a lot of athletes, professional athletes do for sports recovery.
Speaker 3: You can go with.
Speaker 5: Your significant other and you can go in the chamber together. Now, I don't think you're gonna be getting you know, fresh or friendly in the chamber together. No surprisingly roomy, but really when you're talking, you know, sub zero temperatures, shraggage, I mean yeah. And also any moisture is going to be stickage, so like you're gonna be like out of a Christmas story like for the tongue on the light of the light pole or the flagpole stuck. You're stuck, so you'll really be stuck on your significant other. So anyway, totally random thing. I love it when people take a holiday that is all about one thing and then just completely throw it onto ear and advertise it. So l I V who or w E ho live wee hoe, good job. But you can check them out on Instagram. And then I was gonna say, because it is a holiday weekend, what am I doing. I'm going snowboarding, so bear no, going to Mammoth. So I usually go three times a year. Obviously, not having a job slight you to have all sorts of spill this weekend because of that. No, that's exactly, So that's and that's what I'm gonna say. So even though I'm going to Mammoth, which is not close, they've still got so much there at the resort that'll be going. They're expecting more snow to be dumped on Thursday and Friday. Also here in our local mountains, you'll be able to go to Mountain High in Rightwood. You can also go to Snow Summit and Bear Mountain. If you're going to go over to Big Bear, there's plenty of snow. If you're not looking for actual specific snow sports, you can do Lake Arrowhead, Blue Jay. There's so much to do and this is one of those opportunities that we always celebrate here in southern California because you've got the beach, you've got the mountains, you've got everything in between, and so this is you know, it's beautif but again with the wain, the rain, the rain and the wet weather, there we go.
Speaker 2: The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plane.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so that's it.
Speaker 5: So that's where I'll be headed off actually Thursday, and i'll be back on Monday. So it'll be nice to be back. I haven't been back in Mammoth since last year, so I.
Speaker 3: Don't I don't think I've been to Mammoth since I was a kid.
Speaker 5: It's great and I love it because it's great year round, so they have mountain biking with the lake there. I mean not saying I'm highly encouraging you check out the things that are closer to home. Just go to the San Bernardino Mountains, go out to Lake Arrowhead, go out to Big Bear, go to right Wood. That's a much easier thing. In fact, that's what we usually do during the week. So we'll go snowboarding during the week because it's a quick and easy run up to the local mountains. And then these longer holiday weekends we'll be able to go out for Mammoth and get in some really solid runs.
Speaker 2: You got a question, Yeah, and we'll just dump this if this is too much your business. Oh no, but you have an electric vehicle, I do. Does going to Mammoth impact your vehicle in any way to the best of your don't know?
Speaker 3: Surprisingly not so.
Speaker 5: When I first started going to Mammoth, I had a Toyota RAP four, just a regular, you know, gasoline powered vehicle. And the last three seasons, yeah, we're twenty twenty five yacht. So the last three seasons I've had a Volkswagen ID four, And the only challenge that I have encountered is sometimes finding a place to charge. But surprisingly, even with all the communication around EV's and lower performance in the cold temperatures, we've never had a problem. And it's funny because now my sister and brother in law have jumped on board and they also have evs, but they've up to this point also always use a gasoline vehicle and we always get better gas mileage and everything else going up into it and have had very few issues at all. So surprisingly, Plus, our cars all will drive, which makes it even easier because I don't have to worry about chains or anything that.
Speaker 3: Also, yeah, so you don't use change.
Speaker 5: No, sometimes if you get it's really bad, we can get those socks, which I think is hilarious. But yeah, other than that, no, it's great. So I'm as I am not. There are other things I'm looking forward to, other evs for my future life. Volkswagen has not been my favorite, but it's never failed me. It hasn't steered me wrong. Now, I hope that I'm not going to talk to you next Tuesday and I have.
Speaker 3: Any story to a completely different story.
Speaker 5: It could be a new story because I'll obviously be back and I'll be fresh back for Mammoth to be able to talk about all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, please take a lot of pictures of videos.
Speaker 5: I will and as you always, you can follow me on social media Nick Poulli o'channey and this week I'm a Nick to find all of that. Plus I'll be checking out some food spots, especially check out fifteen minute Foody on Instagram because surprisingly over the last few years up in Mammoth, they really have increased their food. Are you've seen I guess you would say more options, many more options in food and including a few celebrity chefs from a top chef fame from Bravo. So I know it's wild. You gotta take me sometime, I'll take you, all right. I'd love to take the show. That's what we got to figure out.
Speaker 3: That's not an impossibility. I think that it'd be really great. I know.
Speaker 2: I think Neil tried to broadcast one time up there hit it was hit and miss.
Speaker 5: Which I'm not surprised. And I know that I've called in when we were doing on Friday from Mammoth and it wasn't perfect. But I'm pretty sure things have grown and changed and I think we can figure it out. So if not this season later with mo Kelly coming to live from Mammoth, Juno Lake or anything else up there.
Speaker 3: I like it. Let's strive to get there.
Speaker 2: It's Later with mo Kelly CAFI AM six forty Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty