Speaker 1: Conservatives want answers from the government after US trade talks collapse this weekend. Opposition leader Pierre pauliev Is called on Prime Minister Carney to bring MPs back to Ottawa, writing in a letter, we must put the national interest first. The failure to secure a durable trade agreement, together with escalating tariffs, now threatens deeper economic pain. That is why I write to ask you to reconvene parliament without delay. I'm joined by Alberta MP and Conservative critic for Canada US Relations Chavaloyd Majumdar. Nice to see you, sir, Thanks for coming in. Thanks to you too, so your leader, Peer Polyev. I just read part of the letter that he sent to Carneia over the I guess it was last night. He calls the bilateral trade negotiations of failure. Who's to blame do you think for this failure? Is it the Canadian negotiators or is it the Americans.
Speaker 2: We're confident that the Canadian negotiators were professional what they did. We know that the Prime Minister and his cabinet have to deal with a very tough and unpredictable negotiation. We know that the stakes are high for this country. But it's really hard to answer your question without actually getting a complete, transparent exhibition of what was proposed. And we're not asking for trade secrets to be disclosed. We're just what was on the table that the Americans already known, that the Canadians already know, and what was the actual decision points to walk away from the negotiation. All we've had is a press conference and some leaks here and there, But that's not, i think, to mister Polyev's point, serving the national interest, which is a full conversation around what was on the table and how do we deal with it.
Speaker 1: Is there not a risk in showing our cards? Is there not a risk in showing the American.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're not asking for them to tip their hand on any future negotiating position. We just want to understand exactly the Prime ministers talked about the deal. He's talked about certain aspects of the deal. He hasn't talked comprehensively about what were the reasons he left. He's welcome to table that and let Canadians judge for themselves. And the reason I say this is on Saturday, he promised dollar for dollar counter terrifs across the economy which would have been a massive cost to both countries. Today, just hours ago, he's proposing well, maybe something more targeted. Well, we can't take measure of what his prescription or his solutions are unless we understand exactly what the stakes were that he walked away from and what the cost will be for the Canadians that have to bear the price of his decision.
Speaker 1: On those retaliatory measures we heard. Of course, we're planning to fight back. There will be something in place, as you say, one of your caucus colleagues, Jamil Giovanni, who has a close relationship with JD. Vance, the US Vice President, said that dollar for dollar tariffs would be an overreaction and that it would only accelerate the conflict with the Americans. Do you think that that's a fair assessment, that going dollar for dollar, going toe to toe with Trump on Taro's would be a mistake.
Speaker 2: It's a big debate and it's one that's worth having, and I'm grateful for mis Givine's contribution to it. The Prime Minister today walked back dollar for dollar counter tariffs, describing that it was an overreach in his own position. Look, we have three major decisions in this country that Parliament was elected to deal with. We have the decision around our relationship with the United States, which can only be explained by the deal that the Prime Minister abandoned. We have a decision around the true cost to Canadians and what we will do to respond in making sure that the families who in today and yesterday are really anxious, hundreds of thousands of people who are losing their jobs and may not be able to plan for the future. And we have a decision on what are we doing to right now unlock the potential of this country, build the resilience we must, the resilience at the Prime Minister's dawdled on for over a year and a half, and provide the immediate relief for our country in the road ahead. These are three big things. They're certainly parliamentary and worthy of a national conversation, of a debate on empirical grounds rather than on the hints of light that the Prime Minister provides from behind the curtain.
Speaker 1: Geovani also said that Prime Minister Mark Karney and Ontario Premier Doug Ford have put their political self interest ahead of Canadian workers, So he seems to be suggesting that there's no deal with the Americans because it's not in the political interests of the Prime Minister to reach one. What do you say to that, Do you think that there is no deal because mister Carniess trying to capitalize on this politically. I mean that is quite an accusation, right, It's a serious accusation, essentially accusing the Prime Minister of sacrificing the Canadian economy to improve his own poll numbers. Is that something that you feel like is happening here?
Speaker 2: The issue we have is with the Prime minister's capability to be transparent. We've watched him walk back counter terrors in the past through a discrete disclosure on a distant government website that was ultimately picked up by somebody. We watched the Prime Minister not describe the deal around the bad Gordy Howbridge deal. We don't know how many tens or hundreds of millions are now being siphoned into an American fund on the other side of the border for priorities that we cannot decide. And so I think there's a lot of good reasons to say, listen, Prime Minister, you negotiate in good faith. You had a conversation with the country and good faith. So in good faith continue by disclosing the deal and releasing the deal to Parliament. Let Canadians judge for themselves. Exactly what the decision point you made was. Was it political? Was it principled. We'd like to think it's principled. We'd like to think it's for the national interest, But there's only one way to know.
Speaker 1: President Trump today called Doug Ford, he called him out by name, He called him a flunky. He says he's less impressive than his late brother Rob Ford. The Premier in turn called Trump a loser. He called him the King of bankruptcies. He told him to kiss his urs. Do you think the Premier Ford is hurting or helping the cause here? He's getting quite feisty. It's very personal. Ford is not holding back in what he thinks of the President, the person that the Canadian negotiators need to get onside it we're ever going to get a deal. Do you approve of what Doug Ford is doing when he uses this sort of language.
Speaker 2: I know that the stakes for the negotiations today are massive for the future of our country and particularly for the people of Ontario. They deserve serious leaders stepping up to deal with serious issues. And I also know that in the inception of all of this, when naftit was first negotiated, that Prime Mister Brian mulroney was capable of wrangling the premiers, reading them in and defining what is a role of the federal government where the Prime Minister has latitude on foreign affairs, and what is a role of provincial leaders to ensure that the best deal can be accomplished with a team Canada. All of the chaos we've seen on the Canadian side, to me is something that I ascribed to how the Prime Minister has managed the entire negotiation. He has not been transparent with the premiers across the board with the deals that he has had to work with. He's not been transparent with Parliament. He's not been transparent with industry. He has not been holding technical briefings with the press or with experts even under NBA, so that they can at least inform their positions and their opinions. And so the resulted chaos that you see is principally because the Prime Minister has failed to show the kind of leadership the transformational negotiation that he promised.
Speaker 1: The Prime Minister has briefed the premiers though right, I mean there was a first minister's meeting as things were looking good, as a deal was coming together. He immediately met with the premiers right after things fell apart, So there certainly has been some dialogue. Maybe there should be more. Do you think though, he should be using that time to reign in doug Ford? Is that what you think needs to happen here? Do you think the Prime Minister needs to put his foot down when it comes to forward using this rhetoric.
Speaker 2: It depends on whether he thinks that rhetoric is helpful to him or not, you know, And I think it's easy for us to try and opine on the play to play in the personalities that are involved, and that's not necessarily constructive for the country. Per Poaliev wants us to stay focused on the national interest, to rise to the occasion that the country requires, which is a strong and constructive opposition. Our country is not so brittle that we can't afford a debate, but we also need to approach a debate with the seriousness that the people whose families and livelihoods are on the line deserve.
Speaker 1: Do you think we can ever reach a deal with President Trump. I mean, this is someone who is still trotting out this fifty first date rhetoric. He's being very personal in his criticisms of our leaders. He's calling Mark Carney governor again today. He's talking down our troops and our armed forces. He's lying in many instances about the trading relationship. He's falsifying statistics when it comes to cross border trade. Do you really think we can broker a deal with someone like this?
Speaker 2: Canadians are sick and tired of being treated as a punching bag by President Trump time and time again. We know that we're up against a very tough and unpredictable negotiator. We know that every international economic and security arrangement around the world is being renegotiated. I would argue principally because of the rise of Beijing and the threat that it poses to our supply chains, our energy, our investment and technology for the world. The world needs to readjust in this period of disruption caused by Beijing. But that being said, I know that the Conservatives, over a year and a half ago, we're ready to make big decisions on unleashing our resources repealing anti development legislation, finding ways to fast track projects around critical minerals and energy resources that we know the United States and the world needs, rebuilding our manufacturing base for autos and for defense production, like big catalytic decisions that would have built the strength of this country up, and we need to make those decisions independent of what Washington or what the world does. We need to build a country that has a self confidence to be able to navigate a world that is disrupted, and I think our country has to come to the realization that we don't have the luxury that many other country around the world have not enjoyed as well. We're now in a neighborhood that's tough, and we're certainly up to the task of standing up for this country and its sovereignty.
Speaker 1: Let's see but there. Thank you so much, Conservative Canada US Relations grig Chavaloy Majumdar, nice to see you, certain thanks for coming in.