Speaker 1: Well, whiskey coming gay, Oh, why don't you? From Powerline blog dot com and produced by Ricochet dot Com. This is the three Whiskey Happy Hour with your bartenders Steve Hayward, John You, and power Lines International Woman of Mystery Lucretia.
Speaker 2: Got you gotta giving? Let that whiskey float where you're being in love down he loon? All right, I am back, baby, I'm back in the US. I'm back in the.
Speaker 3: Chair for this podcast because when I let Lucretian John all on their own, they just run a mock and so I'm gonna bring order back to this podcast. I have got my Lefroy twenty five because I've been drinking acavit and Dutch jin geneva jenee vera however you pronounce it uh, And so I'm glad to be back.
Speaker 2: How are you John? How are you? Lucretia? What are you drinking? How are you feeling?
Speaker 4: I'm feeling joy. I'm feeling joy because, as we all know, Kamalama ding Dong visited my state. Not only did she visit my state, she visited the town where my best friend lives.
Speaker 3: And right, well, I thought, right, I mean so right, I mean she was in your hood, and now John, she's like literally across the street.
Speaker 4: From you, and she was it was five o'clock Pacific where when she was in Douglas. So she got on a quick ass airplane and flew to Fairmont and got a helicopter. I mean flew to San Francisco and got a helicopter to the Fairmont. Because I've barely had one drink since her I kmitted more since her speet.
Speaker 2: That's not enough.
Speaker 5: And when she's in San Francisco, she mixes with the people by barricading herself inside the Fairmont Hotel at the top of what is deservedly called knob Hill, where all the snobs live. And you can't get a close off all the streets around this gigantic hotel with police and sniffer dogs and everything. All I want to do is go hang around at the University Club across the street. Are a little old, run down. It's so run down old that Winston Churchill would look at home, look at home here.
Speaker 2: Oh, I used to go to the Universe.
Speaker 3: This is thirty years ago now, John, But I used to go have lunch with William Rusher at the University Club and smoke.
Speaker 5: Cigars, which yeah they because yeah, people still smoke cigars here drink they have excellent bourbon and Scotch selection. If any loyal listeners who can identify Lucretia by voice, which has happened to me only once in the freaking Flyer Lounge and Frankfurt with a weird guy from Norway. But if anybody wants that can do that, I will offer them as much bourbon and Scotch as they can drink on my tab at the University Club in one night.
Speaker 4: Actually it's good. I won't go into why now. If they have even the tiniest, slightest detective skills, it should be very very very easy to figure out if you don't already know who I am. All of our listeners are very smart. They knew who I am, and I'm okay with that. It's just plausible deniability when I get called in front of the provost and you know, blah blah blah. Anyway, let me talk for just a moment about my So you're talking about you know, Kam Lama ding dong.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, but just one sentence, Lucretia, you should take a bow or we give you a prize because commentary magazine, and you know, you're not always a huge fan of that gang there. They're a podcast this week used Kami Lama ding Dong as their title.
Speaker 2: So you get the prize and royalties, and.
Speaker 5: They get that. They give full credit in citation to Lucretia they did. I'm okay with that. Oh see, that's the kind of conduct we expect from the people a commentary exactly.
Speaker 4: But I'm okay with it because you know, I'm not a selfish person. I share my joy with the world. I'm also very joyful about so I really spend an extraordinary amount of time in Douglas. It is a it is a border town.
Speaker 5: It is now.
Speaker 4: It used to be a huge mining town, copper mining town, and the place is still you know, but it's now, of course, a human trafficking town. That's its and they passed through. It's got one of the second largest border crossing in Arizona, I believe it is, and it's about to be made bigger. That was a big deal. But here's the point. Douglas is a small town and it's a poor town. It's a very poor, mostly Mexican immigrant town. There's not any there's not a lot of wealth there anymore at all, and it doesn't have any large venues. So my understanding, I cannot confirm this absolutely reliably, but my understanding is that she went to Coache's Community College has a campus in Douglas and was at the theater. The theater holds one hundred and forty persons max. And the interesting thing was, if you watched her speech li I watched it on Fox, there was only one camera. You know, the troll what's his name, Mark Kelly spoke and but the camera they only ever trained one camera on any of the speakers up at the front, and there's you know, a teleprompter. Her speech was a teleprompter speech. And my thought was did they actually force Fox News before they would let them in that venue or did Fox get their their film from someone else that not to look at the crowd, I mean, they were very loud. The crowd was very loud, but not loud because there were literally thousands of people speaking out. They were just loud mouthed people, you know, very excited and joyful about being there with the troll and Kamala and Ding Dong. So anyway, that was my first comment about it. She was more articulate because she had a teleprompter and she sounded like, except for a few comments, she sounded like she could be Trump. Quite frankly. She talked about, you know, that it was important to close the border to refugees except at border crossings. It was important to stop fentanyl. She bragged about how she shut down cartels in California operating in San Francisco. I'm sure you guys remember that when she shut down the fentanyl trade and the cartels in San Francisco when she was Attorney general. Excuse me, it was just lie after lie after lie. Other than she wanted a path for dreamers. It's about the only honest thing she said. And of course then she turned to Trump, and you know, you want to ask if you've got all these great ideas for how we're going to close the border and make, you know, take away all these families that are suffering from the effects of illegal immigration and fentanyl and guns, and tell them why isn't she doing it herself? Because in case she didn't forget, she could go back to the White House and start doing it right away. But no she can't, because you know why, it's Trump's fault. And you know why it's Trump's fault because somehow, even though Trump is not in any position of power in the legislature or otherwise, he stopped the bipartisan immigration reform bill, which is what every stupid Democratic politician from Arizona says every time the subject comes up, and they have to make an answer for their pathetic excuse for policies only on immigration anyway. So I want to know, how is it that she being part of the administration and this was such a bipartisan bill and all these conservatives even wanted it. She said, all these the most conservative people in the Congress wanted this by partisan reform bill, but Trump stopped it. Do you guys know how that happened?
Speaker 2: No, I remember hearing all that that was all nonsense, And okay, you're back. You froze up for a second there, Lucretia. But yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: But my theme for the week, by the way, is Israel strikes, but camel of bombs. I mean, you know, a couple of catastrophic interviews. We saw that, and I don't think we need to do all on that for too much.
Speaker 4: I don't think I think we should holistically look at how she holistically addressed all of the holistic problems of this country and how we holistically can bring our aspirations and our dreams together so that we all holistically can find the American dream.
Speaker 2: Well, you just took my new sign out for this episode.
Speaker 4: But you can still do it.
Speaker 2: Well, Audio, I'm going to add being inspired, because that's the other thing. We need to inspire people so we can be inspired. That was a rather alright, sol.
Speaker 4: Because the spirit of inspiration will cause us to be inspired so that we can dream the dreams that inspire us to dream.
Speaker 2: You know, I thought, by the way, John, a little bit of a sidebarb, but not entirely.
Speaker 3: I heard you talking last week how you once taught briefly here for a month at the Free Universe of Amsterdam, and say, my impression of Amsterdam from being there a week was they need they need a certain statute. We can't mention here because of the unbelievable amount of marijuana smoke.
Speaker 5: Right, you did not tell what you're talking about that's not governed by the Clean Air Act.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it should be, and then that should be.
Speaker 3: They need they need OSHA at least, because you know, all the the buildings are just incredible safety nightmares, the stairways and stuff. And then finally, you know, I noticed that the bicycle riders are out of control in Amsterdam and none of them were helmets.
Speaker 2: You know, in California helmets are mandatory, as we know, and in probably other places in any way.
Speaker 5: Did you notice here was one interesting thing about the bicycles, which I fear is going to happen to all of us with the rise and crime in our in our cities. Because you notice almost all the bicycles in Amsterdam where ugly, old, beat up bicycles. That's because anyone who has a nice bicycle has it immediately stolen. So the idea in the Dutchess, just have a terrible bicycle and like blended in with all the other ugly, terrible bicycles and no one will attack, you know, choose yours and steal that. That's what's gonna happen to us in these inner cities these days. I mean, like with the rise to crime in places like San Francisco. You know, I've seen recently the comeback from the seventies, signs in people's car saying this car is unlocked, right, please don't break the glass and you can take anything you can find in it because crime was so bad back in the seventies, remember.
Speaker 2: Right, right, Yeah, I do remember that. Unfortunately.
Speaker 3: All right, let's take a very quick break here for a message from a sponsor, and then I'll bring up another topic for the week that is one that's divided us. So after this, So I think I didn't prepare you guys for this, but I think the other interesting story of the week, and I said, it's something that has divided us a bit in for the last year and a half or more longer is Zelenski came to the US and I think had it to disastrous visit because he essentially, I don't know if he was foolish or it was on purpose, but he essentially lent himself to be an adjunct to the Democratic campaign for president by going to Pennsylvania and appearing with all the Democratic and by the way, giving an interview to The New Yorker where he criticized Trump and attacked JD. Vance directly. What a foolish thing to do.
Speaker 4: And then I guess they should prosecute him.
Speaker 2: Steve Well, I you know somebody you know it's it's here.
Speaker 4: Sounds like more of election interference than Trump signing a couple of.
Speaker 2: Checks or or calling Linsky on the phone.
Speaker 3: And he did lately have a meeting with Trump, and Trump immediately released the text the Lensky scent that made him look like a total supplicant.
Speaker 2: But I don't know, I mean, what what John?
Speaker 3: I mean you you've generally been in favor of our policy of uh of supporting Ukraine, and you know we've argued with you about that from different directions.
Speaker 2: But what say you now? That seems to be a catastrophic blow during his part.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's a mistake for foreign leaders to try to manipulate our domestic politics and their advantage. Although people say that Yahu does that, and if he does do it, he does it I think successfully. But I think I think Zelenski made a major mistake by trying to in some way interfere with our elections or try it now. Obviously, I think a lot of you know, other countries have their hopes for who might win our election, like bagging Minds a twenty twenty that guy in Brazil, Bolsonaro, he wanted Trump to win because a very similar outlook, very similar of support. They're both conservative populous, and Zelenski's an idiot if he doesn't realize that there's a fifty to fifty chance at least that Trump's going to win, and he's placing his all his bets on you know, Harris, what a mistake. There's a terrible mistake. But that doesn't take away from whether it's strategically a good idea to op Russian from winning in Ukraine despite the inadequacies and incompetence of the Ukrainians and US.
Speaker 4: Can I ask an honest question, how does anybody in this day and age, And this is not referring to you, John, because you've never been guilty of this, but how does one actually demand a cease fire from Israel ah and not demand a ceasefire from Ukraine?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I mean I agree. I mean I think people saying there should be a ceasefire in Israel are crazy. By the way, We're not a breaking news show, but there is breaking news right now.
Speaker 2: It appears.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's reports apparently coming out of the Middle East now that Israel killed the head of Hezbola Justine. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was going to ask you if you which is true?
Speaker 5: So apparently, well, I just went and looked, and so apparently Israeli sources in Israel and Israeli media are starting to report this. So it sounds like it might come out in American press like within we know, well, well, all these rallies did is they just targeted with their missiles where they saw ten pagers exploded once last time. That must mean where the head of the leader is. Well that's a big that's a big deal for you know, there's not going to be any cease fire now in the millies with Israel. I mean, if you're Israel, right, you should press the advantage now and wipe out the rest of the Hezbolah leadership. You already used the pagers to you know, get into you know, destroy the communications network and kill a lot of the top leadership. They just killed the head of Hesbela. They killed the military military leader of Hesbola last week. I think this is the time if you were there, they should press the advantage now. The last thing they should do is listen to any kind of leads from the Biden administration to stop I heard it.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say I heard that hes blow is put on a adds on LinkedIn forzation no there.
Speaker 2: Your question is one that's been on my mind too, is this is but I.
Speaker 4: Don't mean it to be Steven merely what I mean.
Speaker 2: But the LinkedIn answer or no no actually is a joke. No no, I I know I'm right with you on this.
Speaker 3: Is that this exposes, if we needed it again, the hypocrisy of you know, the Biden administration and our foreign policy.
Speaker 4: Lite just stupidity. Let's let's give them a little bit of credit for being absolutely abjectly stupid.
Speaker 3: Well, you can be both stupid and malicious or mendation at the same time. Right, embrace the power of Anne because you're demanding a cease fire from Israel, not just for gose of but now for Hesbola. And of course the real reason is they're panicked that an escalating war we might get involved. But I think also they're really worried about the political fallout for the Harris campaign. But you'll notice that when Biden went on the View, or maybe you did notice, because I'll bet you watch Biden on the View.
Speaker 4: But I but I did get a lot of responses to my tweet that said Biden's going on the View, so that for once he could be the smartest person in the room.
Speaker 3: Well, Biden was wearing a flag pin that was the American flag and the Ukrainian flag, and I thought, okay, uh, when is he has he ever worn an American flag and an Israeli flag or any Democrats wearing except for maybe Fetterman wearing an American flag in an Israeli flag. After all, what Israel done here in the last two weeks. They've killed a lot of people that we've had a bounty on. I mean, they killed the guy who was behind the bombing of the marine barracks forty years ago.
Speaker 4: I think I think Biden should send him a check for the seven million dollars bounty.
Speaker 5: And the second thing just took Just give them some give them some Howard rund bombs.
Speaker 3: And just to round off this about Zelensky's blunder and you know Trump's meeting, you know, Trump has actually although Trump has said some things like and this week you said, by the way, you know, Zelensky's blunder led Trump to say Ukraine is lost.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I don't know if Trump thinks that or not, but up to this point, Trump has actually maintained a fairly discreete silence about the Ukraine business.
Speaker 2: He has fair right. And the point is, and I think what's behind all that is is Trump.
Speaker 3: Assume Trump wins, the current appropriations of money in the Ukraine runs out. Who knows if Trump has some idea of pulling up, booting and scaring.
Speaker 2: The crap, I don't know.
Speaker 3: The point is I don't think Trump wants to be the person who is blamed for losing Ukraine.
Speaker 2: I think there's a possibility that Trump would want to find some way.
Speaker 3: To back up Ukraine if he can't he and our European allies can't broke or some kind of ceasefire and solution. But when Zelensky comes and says I'm I'm for Harris, Well, that kind of gives Trump a free pass to say screw you.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, what does lose Ukraine actually mean? And the reason I say that, Steve is I think that in this particular case, losing Ukraine a negotiated settlement where any territory is lost for the Biden administration is a disaster. However, losing some of the territory that probably rightfully belongs to Russia anyway in a negotiated settlement Russian speaking territories and so on. That's a different story for Trump, right, That's a totally different story for Trump. And a promise that Ukraine will never ever join NATO. He can do that, and I think that that he can actually negotiate a settlement that the Biden administration just simply can't get away with. And I'm not even being my usual snarky self against a Biden administration. I mean, it's just what they've painted themselves into in this particular case. So my only point is the options for Trump are more open than they are for the Biden administration at this point, in part because of what you said, but also in part because it's one thing to have a negotiated settlement and all those lives lost and billions wasted on both sides, if you just kind of go with the status quo. It's another thing if you say, Okay, well this is the deal and my previous the previous administration really screwed this up. We got to take things away they are and this is what we're going to do. That's my thought on it. I don't know if that makes any sense.
Speaker 2: But John, I'll give you the last word on this before we press on. If you want a last time.
Speaker 5: Actually, you know, I mean, Lukrutia made us start out with a good point, which is trying to reveal the hypocrisy what's going on in Ukraine versus Israel. But actually it got me thinking there there is a commonality in it, which is in both cases, the Biden administration shrinks from the bully in the neighborhood, whether it's with Russia, you know, not letting Ukraine pursue the war across the order, or with Iran letting Iran have billions of dollars in revenue from oil sales and then trying to restrain Israel because they're afraid that Israel will escalate it and draw Iran into a war. But in both cases it's a Biden administration being spineless before either Russia or before Iran. They're so afraid of these allies of ours, Ukraine or Israel escalating things that they're actually I mean, that's that is the commonality, which I think explains why our foreign policy is such a mess. And you know, this is one where I don't think Harris is going to do much better, like at least Trump I think he you know, I think foreign policy was far more successful under him than under Biden and Harris, even though Biden and Harris are the ones who are kind of supported by and are favored by the foreign policy elite in Washingtons.
Speaker 4: We won't even go into how all those foreign policy elite are are itching for war with a rant. I'll just leave that aside. Oh, I agree with you, John, but I also think that the further point that needs to be made is that not only is their weakness and their spinelessness an explanation for what's happening right now and the demand the weird that what seems to be the inequitable demand for a ceasefire. Your your explanation is absolutely right, but it's also the explanation for how we got to where we are and why it is that Trump can actually negotiate a settlement where the terms of the settlement might be identical for the Biden Harris administration and the Trump administration. But Trump could get away with it, and Harris and Biden can't because they will look weak and spineless.
Speaker 3: So well, let's go out an overtime on this subject for one more round with this wrinkle. I gather I didn't hear it, but I just saw a tweet or something a new story referencing I guess. Late on Friday, Merrick Garland gave us some comments talking about taking very seriously the Iranian threat against President Trump, right assassination plot against him. You know that people have been, you know, Peter Doocy from Fox have been asking the White House about this, and they're just sort of downplaying it. And somebody decided, you know, I don't know, send some kind of signal to Iran that you know, we are paying attention to this.
Speaker 2: But I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure that our foreign policy elite Lucretian wants a war with Iran.
Speaker 2: I think they're scared to death of it. But one thing we do know, the Iranians.
Speaker 3: Are scared to death of Trump because he took out there what's the Stulamani or whatever his name was, and there's mad about money.
Speaker 5: Well, they're also afraid of the United States Navy. And so if it really is true that the Iranian if we have proof that the Iranians are trying and it's not like courtroom proof, we just like know for intelligence purposes that Iran is trying to kill the major party candidate, you know, for the presidency, then we should sink a few Iranian naval vessels and blow up some oil platforms. Yeah, and they will, and I am sure they will back down. Yeah, but if they if we do nothing, then and this is the story of Iran in the Middle East is they're bullies. They get away with just pushing and pushing because no one stands up to them. And if we don't stand up, and they're just going to continue doing more of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could easily see President Trump ordering the destruction of Iran's Cark Island, you know, oil refiner, and that's like that's their hub for their oil if you take that thing out there in deep trouble. And okay, all right, let's take a quick break and then we want to get back to I think events in Berkeley.
Speaker 5: This week, John, Yeah, Yeah, why don't we talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all Steve's fault, all right.
Speaker 3: So we talked to the Cretia about how Kamala Harris who was invading her neighborhood for a border stunt. But then John, you know, I wasn't back yet, so I missed all the fun. I mean, I was president eight years ago for the milo Aganapolis riot at Berkeley, but I missed the.
Speaker 2: Fun and games with a stem rough been at the law school on Tuesday night. So tell our listeners what happened if in case they didn't read my article about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So, first of all, this is a case once again of Steve. Hey, we're getting me in trouble. Steve, a fanboy for the Israeli Kanessa, met this very impressive. We both met him. We caped a was a very impressive minister of the Kanessa, Simcha Rothman, who actually as an American law degree from Northwestern and he really was the I think the real prime mover of the uh Supreme Court reform bill in Israel that was causing all the fuss last summer before the the summer before the attacks, before the October seventh attacks. And so uh we thought, hey, we should do an event and have him come and speak at Berkeley about this, you know, whether the Supreme Court in Israel should have its powers curbed. And we actually arranged for another very I think outstanding scholar who clerked on the Israeli Supreme Court named Joshua Kleinfeld, who just actually moved from Northwestern to George Mason to be kind of an interlocker tour slash debate partner, and of course Steve, knowing this would explode, didn't show up, hit out, fled to a jurisdiction with no extradition treaty with US like Amsterdam, and so there was I have to say, so this is the first time my time at the law school where a speaker at the law school could not actually speak so after about so there are all these protesters going on outside and I think they've violated a variety of rules by invading the law school building and you know, having like a corridor with signs attacking Jews and attacking Israel. There were some smaller or smaller number of pro Israeli protesters, but inside the room for about the first fifteen minutes we had we we heard from Rothman, and then two people got up and just started screaming at the top of their.
Speaker 2: Lungs and would not stop.
Speaker 5: They were asked to leave politely, they would not leave.
Speaker 2: And this is the problem.
Speaker 5: There were a lot of UC police there. I think the police chief was there. I think the Vice chancellor in charge of security was there, and they made the decision not to remove these people, not to arrest them, not to physically remove them. Once you decide to do that or not to do that, then you'd have a Heckler's veto. It's impossible to have any event if one person wants to stand up and scream continuously throughout the event. And so then it devolved from there. Then they went up to the front and took over the podium and the microphone and started screaming free Palestine in there, and then it would became impossible. Both speakers had to be escorted out by the police, and they finished the event on zoom, which is not acceptable alternative.
Speaker 2: And I thought the whole thing was a disaster.
Speaker 5: I think, I mean, I think the I think the First Amendment got well trampled on by these I think anti Sismic. I don't think they're anti Zionists. I think they're anti Semitic protesters, and the university failed in its duty to make sure that people are able to speak well.
Speaker 3: There's there's almost an almost comical aspect to this that I picked up on from a couple of news accounts and also the number of videos that were sent to me by some of the students who you and I know, and one of them.
Speaker 2: Is is that there were a number of left wing Jews who don't like Natan Yahoo showed up to disagree with Rothman and vigorously disagree with him, but we're going to allow him to speak. They were the ones who got.
Speaker 3: Tickets to the event, and before the event actually started, they had a long argument with Rothman entirely in Hebrew.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've got some videos.
Speaker 5: This is very this is very interesting. So I actually, I actually I like this part of Israeli culture. So I taught in Israel. It's a very funny experience. So like you'll talk and the students will just enter, start interjecting and just be like, wow, why, Like you might say yellow. Abraham's labor color was yellow, They'll be like why why they're Lincoln like yellow? What is yellow?
Speaker 3: Anyway?
Speaker 5: And they'll start arguing with you, you know, directly. So that's actually what was going on in the first fifteen minutes. Like roth would say something and then in Hebrew one of these people was saying it would clearly say something like why do you think that? Or show us the proof? And they do.
Speaker 2: But that's what like, that's what I saw in Israel. Like that's even.
Speaker 5: Normal speech in Israel. It was only when these two disruptors got up and started yelling and screaming that I think actually the event was going to end. I don't think these people yellow, you know, yelling out questions from the audience in Hebrew, were really disrupting and didn't want to try to disrupt event.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, they were gonna let go for it, but they wanted to be heard to object to Rothmann, that you know. But then I mean, again, the accounts I gather is that, you know, I don't know, I hesitate to say naive liberal Jews, but you had these prohomous people, people who are anti Semites, full stuff, right, and.
Speaker 2: They're in there yelling and screaming, and I heard all they started left wing juic saying, but we agree with you, why are you yelling at us on your side? And so you know, he answered the three sided comedy going on, where yeah.
Speaker 5: They're like, those guys are kind of like we went a free Palestine too, Why are you yelling at us that we're for.
Speaker 2: A two state solution?
Speaker 6: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then someone pulled the fire alarm and that that was at that point it's and.
Speaker 5: Then oh yeah, that's right, then the fire alarm was pulled, But it was I thought I was embarrassed on behalf of this university, of which you know, you and I are both apart. That you can't have a legitimate speaker, a minister of a parliament of a foreign country, right, yeah, and an important one too, can't give a speech on campus. That's embarrassment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Maybe he should have just denounced started out by denouncing Amy Wax and then he would have been.
Speaker 2: Ah, well that's next to Trump.
Speaker 5: Maybe he should have denounced Trump and then he would have gotten a good fair earring.
Speaker 2: No, it wouldn't have worked. Now here's the question.
Speaker 5: You know. I talked to people from the administration about this, and they're like, well, we can't if we use the police to try to remove these people. It's almost like they're like repeating the words of the Biden administration. There might be an escalation, and we don't want an escalation because people will get hurt. And if people, you know, they're afraid of what you know was shown happening at UCLA and Colombia in the suiting that you'll get open fighting between pro and anti Israel protesters. But the problem is yes, that's a legitimate fear, but you're sacrificing the First Amendment, Adam.
Speaker 4: Can I just mention John that maybe I'm a little more cynical about it that that that concern You'll probably be surprised, but that concern is actually a cover not for not caring about the First Amendment. Leaves that aside. But I noticed in the Steve and I get these wrap ups of the all the circuit court cases for the week, and I've noticed a common trend that Ninth Circuit especially has refused to grant qualified immunity to police of any kind at University, police, police in Seattle, police here and there who acted with what might be considered excessive force against the George Floyd rioters. And you know, our courts are are are pretty pretty quick to grant qualified immunity in the most egregious of cases, in my opinion, but in every case I've read. Now, that's anecdotal, and I don't even think it makes data, Steve, but it just seems to me like they are continu continuously refusing to protect police who acted in the midst of those riots in ways. I mean, the case I read today was somebody who got shot in the eye the rubber bullet, and the Ninth Circuit upheld a jury finding that the police officer who said he couldn't know what he was shooting into did it on purpose and a million dollar damages or something like that. No qualified immunity upheld it. So maybe I mean, I'm not really making excuses for them. But until we get to the point where we say, you riot, you deserve everything you get up to and including arrest, disbarment, disenrollment, expulsion, all of the other things. What do you call it when you said them out of the country, deportation, all of that. We need to be able to do that and have it upheld, and then I think police might be a little bit less hesitant, especially police at a place like Berkeley, to be to defend the First Amendment the way it should be defended. Maybe I'm wrong, but that was just my thought.
Speaker 2: Let me give a.
Speaker 3: Little background and then a concluding point about why this episode is significant for the next month because of the anniversary of October seven coming up. So you know, I remember after the Mile of Unopolis riots got out of hand back in twenty seventeen, and it turned out there were one hundred and fifty police inside Zellerbach Auditorium who were told to stand down and stay there. And I talked to somebody. That was when Chancellor Nick Dirks was in office, and he was a liberal loon.
Speaker 2: He was a fool, yeah, a total fool.
Speaker 3: But I talked to somebody on his staff who's not a fool but a liberal. But and I said, well, you know, come on, you got to tell me what's the deal here. And he said, well, we were out numbered, and you know the police will tell you. I guess this is probably right. I think I mentioned this before that you don't want to be out numbered in the case of a riot because it'll go badly for the police and everybody.
Speaker 2: You want to have a ratio of superiority of the police.
Speaker 3: And that's when his successor, Carol Chris said, Carol Chris said, you know, my Ben Shapiro is going to come. He is going to speak and I don't care how much it costs and how many law enforcement we have to have. And and because Antifa said they were going to shut that down, and Carol, you got I know people talking to her. She said, we are going to regain control of our campus. Period full stop, and she carried it off, and the left complained bitterly about Chancellor Christs.
Speaker 2: So there's the point, is is that, all right?
Speaker 3: Maybe the law school didn't take seriously the threat to Rothman from protesters. I don't know why you've been so foolish as to think there wouldn't have been this kind of a problem and have similarly ordered sufficient security to rouse anybody disrupting that hallway.
Speaker 2: We are now coming up. But this is open.
Speaker 3: I mean, the leftists are saying the week of October seven, they're going to disrupt campuses all over the country, disrupt cities. They're going to probably blockade highways they've imagined.
Speaker 5: And imagine if if Israel just killed the head of hezbe a Lot today, right and presses a military which I'm off for that too, yeah, Lucasia and presses an offensive into southern Lebanon, Right, Like that's gonna that'll just be compound how crazy they were going to be anyway.
Speaker 4: I wonder though, there is that we talked about a bit last time, John, that element of fake machoism on their part. If they're utterly defeated, then maybe they don't feel quite as much like the bullies. That was my first point. My second point is, why don't we hire some damn Spartans to be university police and send them into the Battle of the Mebley and just say, come on, you cowards, if you're outnumbered, well for.
Speaker 5: The football team. Let's get the football team out there.
Speaker 4: You guys may be thinking about the Roman Empire. I I'm female, I gotta go a little different direction.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, Lucrisia mentioned Amy wax Let's take up that and the wider implications of all that. Of course, after this very brief time out for or a sponsor, all right, this week we got I think what.
Speaker 3: Was a totally unsurprising, perhaps ruling out of the University of Pennsylvania suspending Amy wax forer year, cutting her salary in half, stripping her of her name chair, cutting off her summer funds, but not stripping her of tenure, and firing her, which is what I'm sure that they really wanted to do. So they're doubly cowards. And I don't know, you know, I've been the one who's been saying, gosh, things may be turning around. I saw a complaint this week from the left that darn Harvard. You know, five of the top seven positions now at Harvard are white males. You know, the whole DEI mentality is not going quietly into this good night. And you would have thought that Penn would have backed off of Professor Wax after their disgrace of their president last year and anti Semitism, but no, they went full speed ahead.
Speaker 2: And so I don't know.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'll add this democracy really doesn't bother them, No it doesn't.
Speaker 3: But let me let me add one other thing that emerged this week, and I think it came from Amy. It was revealed by Aaron Sabarium at the Free Beacon newspaper, and she had to have gotten the documents from Wax and information from Professor Wax that the.
Speaker 2: University tried to settle with her saying all right, well you know we won't.
Speaker 3: We will. You can keep everything if you'll just sign a non disparagement clause and won't criticize the university. And I thought, you know, if they added a couple of zeros to that settlement offer, and maybe you'd take it. And she told him to go pound sand and which I think was great of her.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, I have it on good authority that if she if the NBA provision is in there, which seems very strange for a university, Yes, of all places. I mean I could see, like, you know, a corporation, but a university once one of its to not exercise their free speech.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know that that she was unwilling to accept any settlement agreement, no matter how much money was attached, if it required her not to be able to talk about the whole affair she's been through.
Speaker 4: I mean, come on, if if if just like you say, a couple of extra zeros is enough to make you say, never mind the principles that I've sacrificed myself for for the last how many years it's been.
Speaker 2: Now too, a year and a half, Yeah, much longer than that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but yeah, I think it's been going on pre COVID, start before COVID, you know, and she never honestly we know what she said.
Speaker 4: We have, you know, their their version of what she said, her version of what she said. That nobody's uh denying what was actually said by her, nothing of which anybody who knows anything about higher education can possibly find objectionable. You know, Uh, why are they so afraid?
Speaker 5: I'm i mean, this is the other thing, is she is clearly being singled out for her ideology or her viewpoint, because I mean, you have people who believe it in all this critical race theory stuff, who say all white people are racist. They say all that, they say it in print, or they'll say, oh, there's structural racism. They will accuse universities, they'll accuse white colleagues of being racist, and nothing happens to them, right, Sometimes they get promoted, as far as I can tell. But it's so obviously about the content of what she's saying, and I just it's it's so she I hope she sues, I hope she sees, and I hope she wins.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's not just the content, it's specific content that is the worst of all. It's a little it's Amy Wax is the Clarence Thomas of the law profession, right she And I think the reason that they pick on her especially is because they think they can get away with it because she's Jewish, right, I swear I think that's the truth, because you'd think that after everything, all the humiliation they went through, that they'd be treading just a little bit more softly on this one, but they're sure not. And she's the worst because you know, at least until recently, Jewish law professors could claim some sort of victim status. She never did, of course, but that was but now that's just unacceptable, can we You know, Jews are whites now and they're oh, you know, guilty of racism. But the things that she said are they believe targeted against groups?
Speaker 5: True or not.
Speaker 4: They make groups feel bad, certain marginalized groups might feel bad. But she pointed out that her top students quite simply were not black. Very few. Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. She never said none, she just said very few. And of course that's because of affirmative action and bad policies like that. You know, it's not necessarily that there aren't smart blacks out there, but you know, your pen is a little bit lower. The smarter blacks are going to go elsewhere, and there's just not enough of them to go around at these premier universities because you know, because they're only twelve percent of the total population. Right, it's just the circular on this whole thing. But anyway, she was never being racist, you know, she was just commenting.
Speaker 5: Look. The other thing is, you know, she has said things which are alleged to be critical of Asians. So she said something like, we have too many, too much Asian immigrations. I mean I don't find it a problem for someone to ask that question and be proven wrong if she's wrong, but you know, to fire her for ask saying something like that, I mean that undercuts the I don't think there's too much Asian immigration. It's the Germans and the polls we got to worry about.
Speaker 6: But no, just kidding, of course, but we don't want Irish. But it's like, why can't she like, why can't.
Speaker 5: She say that that's the So what if Asians are offended?
Speaker 2: So what grow up?
Speaker 5: Yeah, for want Asians to be coddled and protected from people, you know, taking you know, sounding opinions which may be critical of Asian immigration. All right, So like then we can have a discussion of how much immigration should there be and why is it problematic?
Speaker 4: And is it problematic?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: Cultures are cultures and they bring and recalled.
Speaker 5: Like the thing that started recall, I think the thing that started this all off was that she wrote a piece with Larry Alexander pritical theory. Guy, what do you guys saying that saying something like, you know that my minority groups are inner city family should follow the ath that worked in the nineteen fifties, you know, you know, get married, graduate from high school, get a job, and then have kids. And that was seen as somehow racist because she referenced the nineteen fifties positively, or she said something like this is sort of the Anglo American formula for success, and all their groups should do it too.
Speaker 2: Yeah and right, Yeah, that offensive.
Speaker 5: They're also social scientists who think that's true.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean that was the moan that was the moynihan report of nineteen seventy five, by the way, that that what that's I forget, I forget the label.
Speaker 2: It's not the success sequence.
Speaker 3: But one of the persons who was a big champion of that point of view in the Clinton years was Bill Colston, who was you know, special advisor and in house intellectual, you know, democrat student of Alan Bloom. He's one of the only sort of liberals who was a student out of the Strauss blue world of Chicago.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I know Bill of something and and but he you know, Crystal, Bill Colston, Bill.
Speaker 4: The only one over.
Speaker 5: Well, but I'm sorry Lucretia was making fun of Bill still there.
Speaker 2: Shooting fishing.
Speaker 3: Look, I think part of what I think, part of what's going on here, and we'll segue to a related topic, is they wanted to make an example out of Amy Wax because if they didn't, other people might start saying what she said exactly. And and you know, I think I keep coming back to this, and I actually I've got a whole series of articles I want to write actually from my new Substack site called liberal fragility. Right, we've had this whole white fragility from that Robin DiAngelo fraud. But I think it's really true of liberals is that they are very fragile, insecure people, easily threatened. And boy, if you don't stop, you don't shut up Amy Wax, other people might start saying the same thing, which.
Speaker 2: Leads to the way go ahead.
Speaker 5: Since you guys are so bad at promoting yourselves, what is the substack thing? You know? We tie less without you. We talked about Lucretia's posting on subsect. I was like, what is the substack? Why am I not in it? Why are you two guys in it? When you should anybody read it?
Speaker 4: John?
Speaker 5: But No, I didn't know. I didn't know about the subset.
Speaker 2: You guys got to promote the hell out. Well, we're just.
Speaker 3: Getting started, John, and we already. Actually I'm as well. We started own substack called Political Questions.
Speaker 2: That's the title for now.
Speaker 3: By the way, I think, John, it might become the substack for a certain institution in Texas.
Speaker 2: That you and I were talking to. Figuring you guys are totally leading.
Speaker 3: I know you're invited. You're totally invited to participate it. But I'll say I'll tell you more about substack later.
Speaker 2: But uh, the point is this.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: The other related story I think to the Wax episode is, uh, you had several the elite universities release their demographics for their incoming class, the first new class since the Harvard decision.
Speaker 2: And I think you have Duke and Princeton and I forget who Brown and maybe Penn boasting that, oh, we have this terrifically diverse class.
Speaker 3: And Asian admissions actually went down in a couple of minutes institutions, uh, and Hispanic and Black admissions stayed the same or went up a little bit.
Speaker 2: So the question is you guys all said to the Supreme Court in Harvard case.
Speaker 3: Without affirmative action and allowing to take race into account, we can't have a diverse student body.
Speaker 2: And now you're boasting that you have a diverse student body where you and Steve were you lying to the court last year or are you cheating now are?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: That piece Jason Riley wrote a piece in the Wallstreet Journal called me for my comments, and I didn't know he was going to take the comments and use them, but I think when I read them, I was like they were kind of colorful. But I'm just like, it's like everybody knows, right, Like everyone in higher education knows that they're still using race. Everyone knows they're cheating.
Speaker 2: They know they're cheating.
Speaker 5: They just don't want to get caught cheating. Yeah, everyone knows you can't produce those numbers without cheating.
Speaker 4: I could provide you, guys from my inbox for the last week with one hundred emails on how to cheat that way, honest to God, That come from consultants, that come from you know, there's god awful higher education consortium groups and all those other places Admissions officers, higher Chronicle of Higher Education. Yeah, let's figure out how we do holistic reviews right, so that we can make sure that we get the right people admitted and not let the wrong people in and not call it because of race. I mean, it's just ridiculous. There's my own enrollment. Central Enrollment Processing Unit now spends thirty pages of annotations on any student who a prospective student who applies, who doesn't meet the threshold of a three point zero and wants to get in any way, there's this thirty page thing that they have to go through before they deny them if they're a.
Speaker 1: Person of color.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this reminds me if you remember when Stanford put out the list of words you weren't allowed to use. Remember we had our contest to use them all, Like, yeah, we're like use thirty of them within like the first thirty seconds of the program. And she wasn't even trying everybody, she was just talking. She didn't even know there was a contest. She didn't even know there was a contest. But what we should do is we should put out a document of all the words you should use in your application essays to get into college.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I could do that.
Speaker 5: Actually, the list it would be the exact reverse of the bad words from Stanford, Well to be all of.
Speaker 4: Their suggested ones. John, remember their suggestions.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, I think yeah, that's right, the alternatives, that's where they were agreed.
Speaker 3: But here's a callback on this. I'm pretty sure we mentioned that could when the Harvard case was decided. This is going to be like Brown versus Board of Education. Yes, the Democrat run South engaged in massive resistance, and today our Democrat run universities.
Speaker 2: Are engaging in massive resistance.
Speaker 3: Now, what was required after Brown was years and years of follow up litigation and God bless him, our hero behind the Harvard case, Edward bloom Is, written letters to all the universities saying you're on notice, and by the way, you better preserve your documents because there's going to be discovery.
Speaker 2: You sob and Melsing only slightly. I mean I know you know Edward, somebody I know it pretty well.
Speaker 5: No, No, I mean it's going to take a lot of lawsuits in litigation, right, people, even though even though the super majorities of the American people are against the use of race, so they're going to have to pressure their elected officials to stop doing this. And it's not just universities where this ideology is really rooted is in k through twelve teachers. We've all gone through these graduate schools of education where they've been taught to get rid of merit and intellectually excellence and replace it with this diversity.
Speaker 4: In the difference, can I just say really quickly, Steve, here's the difference between the resistance to Brown and the resistance to the Harvard case. In Brown, the resistance was based upon prejudice, real acknowledged prejudice. There wasn't anybody in the South arguing against Brown versus Board of Education arguing for impeaching or Warren or any of those things who didn't say it's because I believe ect right. They didn't hide their views, they didn't pretend that they were something other than what they are. What you said about Amy Wax, the emperor has no clothes on. If anybody hears Amy Wax say that and think that they can get away with it, the whole edifice call false. It's everything you always say about the left, Steve. I hate to give you this much credit, but you're right here.
Speaker 2: I'll take it.
Speaker 4: That is that just even thinking about Kamalama ding Dong's speech today in Douglas Arizona, where she's pretending like she's the toughest borders are that ever walk the planet. She doesn't believe any of that nonsense, not one word of it. But it's necessary for the left to lie, It's necessary for the left to dissemble, It's necessary for them to be disingenuous and hope that people don't catch them at it. And when somebody like Amy Wax comes along and says, here's the truth of the matter, folks, it's devastating to them. They're not just fragile. They are threatened. Yeah, everything is threatened. You cannot you cannot call the emperor naked whatever you do. And I think that's the difference. I don't disagree with your analogy. I just think that's an important point to point out. Let the left tell the truth for a change. Let them come out before the voters. Said this to John last week. Let Kamala Kamalama ding Dong come out before the voters, tell the truth about what she believes, what her values truly are. Defend them or have somebody we know she can't defend.
Speaker 2: Of course they will.
Speaker 5: I mean, of course they were just like with affirmative action. They know that great dry American people are against it. They don't want to honestly say we do want to use race to produce these outcomes. That they hide it behind this allegedly, or we're just creating, you know, diversity of viewpoint and it's the same thing.
Speaker 2: Right, Kama was not going to.
Speaker 5: Go out and explain her real values. Right, they don't think these are the people who came up with the idea of the noble lie in the first place.
Speaker 4: Can I ask you just really quock question. I know we want to move on, Steve, but do you think that you know the there's a lot of talk around my circles. I guess you could say that the reason that they're so bent on destroying K twelve education, higher education is of course, what they want is a an uneducated, unthinking, incapable of critical thinking populous, so that that populace can be much better controlled. That's the sort of tinfoil conspiracy view of hard right conservatives about about our system of education. Yeah, yeah, right, But my point is, in order to how do I say this? You don't put Clarence Thomas in a class on critical race theory and expect him to be propagandized or have his mind, you know, sort of shaped by this and no questions asked. So but if you promote up people who weren't ever taught how to think, you don't force them into the LSAT or something else that might actually show their propensity for critical thinking, then you have them much You have a much more easily brainwashed student body, and they become much more compliant, much more willing to go along with pro Hamas propaganda, pro government propaganda, pro climate change aganda, you name it. Anyway, there's my conspiracy theory for the day, because I know listeners would be very upset if I didn't offer at least one good conspiracy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know either. I mean the deception. You're right about the deceptions of the left. I think it may be simpler that they're just actually that stupid and believe in the ideology of victimology. Yeah, I think they just believe it.
Speaker 4: They Yeah, well, listeners, I want I want to vote on this one.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, speaking of voting, and we're almost out of time, and let me just mention a couple of quick facts that I think are curious and we'll come back to this, because of course, the election is going.
Speaker 2: The polls are volatile. It's dumb to follow them day to day. But there are two things of interest that came to my attention this week.
Speaker 3: One is, oh, news out of your state, Arizona, Lucretia, is that what some jurisdictions sent out two thousand duplicate ballots?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 2: Ah, this is the big cheat is in the Maybe. But here's an interesting thing that there are fifty.
Speaker 3: Million mail in votes ballots out already, but it turns out that twenty million of those are here in California, which is not a state that sent right. Yeah, and and now the interesting thing is the number of ballots and early voting started in a lot of states. The number of ballots that have been turned in is amazingly small, under one hundred thousand in Pennsylvania. And I don't know if people are now the Lucretia will probably say people are undecided.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: If that's it. I have a bunch of theories about this. But the point is is that we're not seeing a lot of votes being banked early like we saw in twenty twenty. And they'll pay attention to all this, but it's the point is that it does look like, we're not right now and still early in some ways, but we're not.
Speaker 3: We're not seeing necessarily a rerun of twenty twenty, but we'll pay attention. The second thing is on a macro level news out or data out this week from Gallup and a couple others, for the first time since before the Great Depression, so almost eighty years ago, UH, voters identifying as Republicans outnumber voters identifying as Democrats.
Speaker 2: And normally have been going on for a while.
Speaker 3: Well, by the way, one of the states where Republican registration is surging is Pennsylvania. And yeah, you know, if you if you go back to UH, if you go back to the last you know, ten elections presidential election cycles, that partisans split of people's declared party preference has tracked pretty closely to the popular vote. And so, by the way, and we know that the polls have now in free elections in a row or two election last two.
Speaker 2: Elections have understated Trump's support. It's driving posters crazy.
Speaker 3: And so all these polls that show Trump even maybe down a point or two. I mean, let's remember the real average, real Color Politics average of polls, which is kind of the best way to throw all the soup together. Had Biden leading by six seven points any he won by three in the popular vote.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: Look, I was you know Macrusha and I are talking about this because when we taped last week, I had just spent the week in Pennsylvania, right, And you can feel it. It is not is not a lock for Harris at all, and the pollings you just suggest it's tied. You also have McCormick, who got he should have been the candidate rather than doctor Oz from two years ago. He was running a really good campaign. He's running the kind of ads that Trump should run. He's got these ads, these great ads up which quote Harris saying things about the border and guns and diversity and from four years ago, from twenty twenty or even more recently about the border, and then playing the other things she's saying at the debates, and they just utterly contradict each other. I mean, they're really good ads, are really effective. And he's also running a very positive campaign too. He's got very good positive ads up. I don't think Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania really decides the election. I really still think it's fifty to fifty in the washing. I think it was The Washington Post has them tied, yeh, you know, and in the Senate race too. So don't I don't mean you need any fancy data and your little regression model, Stevie. Just spend a few days on the ground in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: You're from there.
Speaker 5: You can feel that this is going to be a coin flip election there.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I forget the data.
Speaker 3: I mean, I say it's metaphysically impossible for Kamala Harris to be president.
Speaker 2: And then so.
Speaker 5: What does that mean? Well, what does that mean?
Speaker 2: It's an appeal to natural law, John, but and prudence.
Speaker 3: But I'll leave all right, Lucretia.
Speaker 5: What be?
Speaker 2: What be headlines we got for us this week? We got some handy, We got lots we just give keep them.
Speaker 4: I'll just give you a few. Okay, So let's start with media asks Trump. Can you hear? Media asked Trump? If he's tried reducing assassination attempts by being less Republican, they get better. I have to start with the weak ones. After being asked where his brother is, Kin explains to God that he grew up in a middle class family. We didn't get to this. I wanted to talk with John about it, but we are over time, so I'll just offer the Babylon b which I think may very well be a summary of John's views on the matter. Black man faces punishment for disobeying his Democratic masters, and it is a picture of Eric Adams. Yeah, Trump, this one. I think we discussed this a little last time. John Trump will start World War three, says party, autographing bombs to be launched at russa Russia.
Speaker 2: Yeah boy, that's not funny really, but yeah.
Speaker 4: Acting US President stops by White House to pick up paycheck. And it's a picture of Zelenski.
Speaker 2: That was going to be doctor Jill.
Speaker 3: Yeah Jill.
Speaker 4: Yeah we boy, doctor Jill. You were gone, Steve. When doctor Jill media warns Florida hurricane may hamper ongoing Trump assassination attempt, Paris declines to say whether she supports the hurricane or not. Sorry, you know that he is a This was my personal favorite, though we didn't discuss anything about it, but it is my personal favorite. Mark Cuban inspires thousands by proving even the very retarded can become wealthy.
Speaker 2: So that guy is awful. That's right, Okay, all right, John ding Dong, I'm working on one, John, So.
Speaker 5: Let's see always drink your whiskey meat. Let's go Brandon and Steve.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm working on this so I can't read my writing, but it's okay.
Speaker 3: Everyone go forth and be holistically inspired so that you could be inspired holistically.
Speaker 2: All right, Bye, bye, everybody, see you next week.
Speaker 5: Bye next week.
Speaker 8: Sleepy, sleepy Joe, sleepy joke, Bab, creepy, creepy joke, creepy joke back, sleepy roth, creepy and creepy round, Sleepy, sleepy joke. Bye, creepy, creepy Joe, Joe bos both, Joe's two, Oh Kamala, Harry snose hair snow, Sleepy, sleepy joke, sleepy joke, bath, creepy, creepy joke, creepy joke, Bab, sleepy roped, creepy and creepy round, sleepy.
Speaker 2: Sleep Ricochet Join the conversation