Speaker 1: Good evening everyone, and welcome to s O S Radio Dot Live, the One Step Ahead Radio Show. I am your host, Doctor Mac, and I am back for one more.
Speaker 2: Power hour this evening.
Speaker 1: Buckle up and get ready because you're going to be shocked who I have with me in this.
Speaker 2: Studio right here.
Speaker 1: Sheba joined our very own she would join us in the house right now. And we are still honoring me for serving twenty nine years in the childcare industry.
Speaker 2: Siva.
Speaker 1: This is my twenty ninth anniversary. Actually it is tomorrow on a Monday. Twenty nine years ago. I started my childcare center and I am still growing, glowing and expanding and of course, you know, giving God all the glory.
Speaker 2: But let's get right.
Speaker 1: To this dynamic interview because I've been waiting all week for Siba.
Speaker 2: Sheiba. Welcome, Welcome to One Step Ahead Radio.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for having me. It's really an honor, and it's an honor to be in your presence because i've known you.
Speaker 2: I don't know how old were you. You remember it was in the eighties. Yeah, I know that I was a teenager.
Speaker 1: It was a teenager, and you was like my little adopted daughter. We worked at a recording studio, in session, recording studio.
Speaker 2: And people don't believe.
Speaker 1: When I say I used to run a recording studio. Okay, and I ran a recording studio. So that's where my love for music really really started was back there with you, because believe it or not, she was You inspired me because you always carry yourself older than you actually was always professional, always a lady, never hesitated to help anybody that was in that studio. I don't know if you remember. We had karaoke there, We had other artists in there. We were trying to do a record company. We were trying to do a management company. We had people coming off the street recording, and I think you was kind of working in the office, but you were still singing and back then a recording session, yes exactly. And I remember back then the song that impressed me the most. It was Regina Bell.
Speaker 2: That was something that that was someone you that you sung her songs.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know.
Speaker 2: But for people who may not know you yet, how how would.
Speaker 1: You, okay, how would you describe yourself as an entertainer? Let us know, how would you describe yourself as an entertainer? Well, I I am you know I'm just a regular person. I'm a regular person who just believes that in this industry, in this business of entertainment, that I can do anything I want to do. That's it. I believe that, and I encourage other people to think the same way. You can do anything that you want to do with your mind can't conceive. And as we go about life, you know, people will bump into people who will tell us that we can't. When we imagine these great things and we think great and we dream great and we share those dreams with people, people will begin to tell you that you can't.
Speaker 2: Do it, you know, And I never believe that. I never believe that.
Speaker 1: I don't believe that I can and I just do and I don't wait for permission. I just deal it. I am that's the industry. I'm a person who again believes I can do whatever I want to do, and I deal with it.
Speaker 2: So you so someone will tell you, no, you don't settle for that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely not. People always nobody. You often find that people don't want to give you a seat at the table.
Speaker 2: You will say that again, and.
Speaker 1: You often find that people don't want to give you a seat at the table. So I take it. I just take a seat and then I show them why I belong.
Speaker 2: I like that. And you know, let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: I have to agree with you, because my favorite scripture of all times is the Lippians four and thirteen. I can do all things through Christ strength and me, and I'm with you on that. I believe I could do whatever I want to do.
Speaker 2: You know that. No, you know, okay, you say no, but see, let me go turn this no into four.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly exactly. So I'm down with you exactly.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 1: If I ask for help and you don't give it to me, I'm going to do it anyway. I'm going to do it anyway. That's who I am.
Speaker 2: Now, you were born because I got so many questions for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's right. Just in a long time. I was so excited because I know you when you were a little little teenager. Okay, you were born and raised in Yark? Right, How did growing up? Did growing up in the city of Newark shape your passion for singing at any point?
Speaker 2: Just being a person a native from Newark?
Speaker 1: What shaped my passion for singing really was my mom. I didn't choose singing, mm hmm. She chose the forming and when I was very young, she put me out there and I was you know, I was homeschooled all the way. I remember Scho was homeschool and we had a musical curriculum, and my mother taught me everything I know about singing, about music, by all of it.
Speaker 2: She's the one who taught me those things.
Speaker 1: Wow, and teaching me those things, she put me out there in the industry, you know, go out there and sing. My first gig, I was about six years old, and I backed out shed She sent me out there and saying I was so nervous, I literally did not do it. But that didn stop birds. She kept going and we kept going, and before you knew it, I was fifteen years old. I had my first professional gig. I was singing with the Queen Latifa, Oh Wow, the Blue Note Boo Magic Blue Magic, Yeah, and all these big artists. And I remember singing Cheryl Pepsi Riley's thanks for my Child. And I was only fifteen years old, but everybody thought I was Cheryl Pepsi rally and you know that's not me, thank you anyway. So but to answer the question or to really put it into proper perspective, what how did growing up in the city of Newark shape me? Because it did, Oh wow, it did shape me. But not it didn't not for singing. I wasn't again that was my mom's singing. It became a pat it became my passion. But growing up and sitting or you meet people wonderful people who who do believe in blending a hand. And I met some people like that growing up, you being the first of them all. When we were doing the work at in Session Rooky Recordings to do you supported me in such a way with all of my performances. I remember you giving me outfits, giving me dazzling shoes to wear and things like that. You know, even though I was young, I dressed up maturely, so outsall. So I'm did you clothes and shoes and you gave it to me. I met people like Sama Davis, who is in the film industry. He's doing wonderful, wonderful things over in Africa right now. He started out here in North New Jersey as a filmmaker, but he's now doing huge things in Africa right now. He set me off on my journey and film. He introduced me to some amazing people in the film industry and got me into got me started in the film business. You know, I met J. D. Williams, who was an actor who also when I needed him, he was there for me. You know, I needed an actor, a named actor in one of my plays, and he said, I got you. You know, do you remember when you was doing your plays over there, Morton, You was using the place at one point to rehearse. Remember the daycare?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yes, yes, That's why I said. We have a history.
Speaker 1: And one thing about me and you, I know that we have in common. We would do for others and we would keep it moving. We won't look back expect anything because when we were giving and you were given too, and when we did things back then, even when you was doing your play, you was giving so much exactly. My one of my main golden nuggets that I like to do and say and back it up is the more you give, the more you receive. Some people don't understand that that is such a golden principle. It is such a principle to stand on with solid foundation because it's going to come back as long as you're not always just given. Looking and that just reminded me of who you were as a young teenager at Incession Recording Studio, doing your plays, doing everything you got. So basically being from Newton, New Jersey, your mom shape your career more so in passion with with music. But there were people that you met that connection that gave you that that that that that that silhouette of how to proceed in an artist. And you know what I'm saying, and that's so profound because what it is is it called a connection. Connection in the music industry, you and I know both, that is very important connection in any career.
Speaker 2: Networking, all of that plays a role.
Speaker 1: And networking and and really and really building and massaging and building relationships, you know, because you can network and get this far. But when you burn bridges, then that becomes a problem, becomes a problem because people don't want to work with you.
Speaker 2: And you need connections in this industry.
Speaker 1: You just need connections. Whatever it is that you're doing, you need connections. So I believe in forming relationshipships and strengthening those relationships are really really relationships.
Speaker 4: And not.
Speaker 1: How much you have to sometimes they are with your mom kind of like giving you that push in the music industry. You started stage performance in your living room as a child. Is that true? Because I read that somewhere that is true. But more than my mom, that was my grandmother who did that.
Speaker 2: Okay, shout out to the moms we got.
Speaker 1: Her mom is here with us in this studio, by the way, and shout out to her amazing grandmother, because it takes that village sometimes to push us off. And I tell my parents now, because we're still working with children at the school because we are a learning center, but we put emphasis on the performing arts, and it's so important for the parents to see that and to continue to nurture and push them when they see it in their child. I want to tell you this story about Pam Duncan. John Duncan started karate at one step ahead with King k School of Martial Arts, right out of my clap. Today John is a black belt, but his mom always say, Miss Marley, he started taking karate at one step ahead. Wow. So somewhere even it has to be in the living room, that's where it gets started at. Sometimes that's very good started. Yeah, that's very good, started, you know and again. And my mother was the same way, but with all of us, and I had there seven of us. So when she's six. I have one sister and five brothers. Oh wow. Yeah. And when my mother recognized the talent and every single one of us, she went in and just developed it. She said, this is what you do, this is what you do, this is what you do, this is what you do. Let's go and let's do it. So it's not just me, you know, you know my story, but we all have a story. And it all stemmed from my mother recognizing the talent that we all each possess and really just honing in and developing those talents. Wow.
Speaker 2: And like you say, you you not just a singer and you have dipped and that and a lie.
Speaker 1: Like you said me, we're motile talented where you're not gonna put us in a box. I refuse to be in that box. I will crawl that box and stand on top. And yeah, but what inspired you to begin your journey in the world of theater? Them you did film, literature, and live performances besides the singer. What took you to that level to do all of that other stuff, to create all that other stuff? It it just you being talented. Something spark your idea, did somebody influence you, did somebody encourage you? Or was it just you and the talent that you was just born with. So with the live performances and singing again, it was my mom. My mom just recognized that I could sing, and she put me out there. But in the seventies when I was a little kid, she was the singer okay. And then as I grew older and she recognized the talent of me, she said, okay, now microphone. She pushed me out there, and I was just obedient.
Speaker 2: I did it because my mother told me to.
Speaker 1: And then it became a passion that I can't even imagine life without anymore. As far as theater, I have been a person who I always journal I always journaled. I'll just journal I'm still journal And it was not something that you know, I did consciously. It was a subconscious thing. I would find myself journaling, and it's like, without giving up any thought to it, I'm journaling. I want to sit down. I could be sitting down at work waiting for the phone to ring, and how I'm on the phone. I'm just journaling as a person talking, I'm and it just was a thing. And what I noticed is stories performing as I'm journaling.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So I would read it back and go, this is this is a story. And I don't know why it's coming to me, but it's a story. And I always find that once I finished the story, there are stories that needed to be told. And that's how I know if somebody came about my first play, I was just journaling, and fifty seven pages later there was a story. There was a full story. I don't know why these stories come to me. I did not consciously choose theater either. I just was a writer, right right, right right. And I read the story one day and I said, this is good. This is good. And when I contacted some people who were in the theater business, because I didn't know anything about theater, and I asked one of my friends to read the script and let.
Speaker 2: Me know what he thought. And he said, I think you have something great here.
Speaker 1: Let's do it. And so we did. And that's how I got into theater. I didn't know. I didn't know anything about it. I just knew I like to write too. That was my passion. And when I told my mother that a writer, she was like, I promised you. She said, girls stick the saying girl stick to sing, and I said, no, I really want to write it. I wrote this play and I shared it with her, and I was singing all the songs because there are songs in the play, original songs and all of them that I wrote, and she she just she couldn't hear it. She couldn't hear.
Speaker 2: It, right, you know, stick to sing.
Speaker 1: But once it was all put together, and this is why I tell people, This is why I tell people. See, everybody can't see your vision. They can't see your.
Speaker 2: Dream until, oh, my God said one more time.
Speaker 1: Everybody cannot see your vision. They cannot see your dream. It is your dream, and they can't see it until.
Speaker 2: You show it to them. Once I showed her.
Speaker 1: Once I put everything together, and she heard the script and she heard the songs. She couldn't believe that. She couldn't believe that it was something that came from me, original, original, and that good and it blesses families. It's a family show, talks it about family values and strengthening family values, and it touches a bit on domestic violence and getting out of those situations. So it's an important piece. Wow wow, let me take you back, well, no, let me fast forward it from around the time I met you. You were just sixteen, you joined the entertainment board of Essa's County College and you quit gain a lot of recognition down there. Tell us about that. What was that experience like? And that was and you were still a very young young person. Yeah, I was, And I was teased a lot because I was so young. People would tease me a lot. People They would who babysitting today? Who baby sits she Ba today? Things like that, and but I didn't know. I didn't like that discourage me either, because even though they were it was a little bit bullying, and uh, it was all right. It was all right because what what's happening is I was competing a lot. I competed a lot at Essens County College, and I would win every single competition won.
Speaker 2: I never lost the competition.
Speaker 1: What college? No, And so they, you know, would say to me, you know, okay, stopped stop performing and become a featured artist. And so that's what and that's how that happened. But that was shout out to Gerald Holloway who gave me those opportunities. And that's also also where I kind of got into theater too, because we did a production of The Wiz and I started as Evil the Evil Witch, I believe it or not.
Speaker 2: I remember that you probably did and that was your part. Yeah, that was your part.
Speaker 1: That was my first time doing anything. So we're gonna take this pause right now, and we're gonna bring Sheeba to the mic and let her sing a little bit something for y'all. And as she get ready, I don't know if she but remember we had things back then when we were at Peppermin Lounge. Remember Peppermint lo.
Speaker 2: That was that was the thing.
Speaker 1: And when you're doing things, sometimes your foundation is being laid. You have no idea why we just living. We're just going and were growing and we're getting older and we're going through the motions of life. Right But who ever thought in twenty twenty five that you and I would be sitting here during this interview And I'm still about to get blessed with your voice. So I want you to take over the airways right now and let these gorgeous people over here. That's committing, that's right. We want to let doctor Love know that we appreciate him. I see Platinum out there. We appreciate Platinum. Shout out to Platinum. We want you to sing a little bit whatever your heart desire, all right, because I've been talking about how great you are. I want the listeners to know and also how they can book you. There's so many umbrellas that you're under, and we're gonna get into that a little bit later.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so we're going so so y'all get ready.
Speaker 1: I promise you I'm not gonna sing with her. Are good on the sound? Yes, I hold you a little bit from my show Love Overboard the Gladys Night.
Speaker 5: And I have had my shade of a lot of soups and.
Speaker 4: Down but fate's been kind. The dolls have been few.
Speaker 6: I guess you could say, been looking.
Speaker 5: I guess you.
Speaker 1: That is all because of you. You've any one.
Speaker 3: Sort my life all right?
Speaker 6: For worry, oh my feet, Oh.
Speaker 5: You will be there?
Speaker 1: What tween it? One of pain and lory because all the fish things.
Speaker 6: Never heaven to me, oh never happened.
Speaker 2: I see them hands go about there.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Oh my god, that's just so beautiful that it's just so beautiful. She but your voice has not changed. You know. It's so crazy that you would say that, because right, I was a young girl sounding like that, Yes, yes, sound like that. But it's just a it's just a little bit more sped. Yeah, you know, because I was young, very young, and I was not as mature as I am in terms of knowing knowing what it is knowing how to sing. You know, I could sing. I just had this natural knack for singing. But when you learn technique and you learn different skills, that comes with experience. And so that's what that's probably and I am I have no tissue. I've always loved you so much, you know, I've always love your voice. You know, you always kept me in the loop, even though we may not always see eye to eye or not not the eye, but put eyes on each other. Right. You always made sure I got that memo. You've always had disagreement. Never we never had disagreements, but you made sure, hey, I'm performing here. And sometimes I would travel down the turnpipe just to see and hear.
Speaker 2: That voice always always, and then sometimes ill.
Speaker 1: Sometimes telling me you just show up and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, oh here, what was.
Speaker 1: And again like I'm a I'm an emotional person, you know, I work with kids, and I really believe and the emotions and I fought back those tears because this is like a reality thing that just to sit here with you, okay, and to be caught and to hear that voice and to calling you and for you to come to the show, it means the world to me. I just want you to know that I get it. When you were who were some of your biggest artist influence growing up, Well you already know Regina Bell, Regina Bell, Vigina for a very long time.
Speaker 2: Was my absolute favorite singer.
Speaker 1: And part of the reason is because I mean, she is who she is, and she's very, very amazing.
Speaker 2: She's amazing. But when I first saw Regina Bell was in the nineteen.
Speaker 1: Eighties eighty nine.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: She was on the Apollo Show, signed at the Apollo. So the first time you saw her, she was show okay, and she was singing show me the Way, uh huh, and she had this short dress on. She was showing her big legs, looking at her as you re mimmy and me a little bit. And the sound was very similar. The sound was very similar. So when I saw Regina Bell on the television, I saw myself, oh Wowina Bell, and I started to do her songs and when she came out with Baby Comes to Me, it became one of her biggest sids and also simultaneously my biggest hit THENA nine.
Speaker 2: No matter where I went, I had to sing that song.
Speaker 1: And so I tell that story when I performed it today because sometimes I say, before a song by Regina Bell and then there was used to Houston. Wow?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: The what we Was there a particular moment in your life when you knew that performing and writing were your true calling?
Speaker 2: Because we already know you really you love writing? Do you do you still journal? You said you still journal? Are you still writing? Working on anything? Right?
Speaker 1: I write, but I write with more intent now. I know that. Now, I know that I am at playwright. I know that I write film works. I know that now, so uh, it is more intentional now. Was there a moment? No, not really. Again, my mother put me out there and I was just doing it, you know, because I was. She wanted me to, she told me to. But when did it become a passion?
Speaker 2: Told?
Speaker 1: When did it become a passion? As your question? Right, I don't know when it became a passion, but it did. I just I just knew that after a while it was something that I could not imagine life without performing. And even now, no matter what I'm doing or where I am. I'd rather be on stage. And that's funny you say that, because I'd rather be in a classroom than sit in the office as a director of the business owner. I'd rather be in the classroom with my students, close my door, attend to the ten to twenty to thirty whoever, however many they want to give me.
Speaker 2: That that's my passion.
Speaker 1: And I understand when you say would you rather be, because we're doing what we gotta do, but we always have that inner passion where we know what we really want to do. And you may You also said you appeared in some of the TV commercials.
Speaker 2: What was that like?
Speaker 1: So I was very young when I did. I probably was about six or seven. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, commercials?
Speaker 6: That it was?
Speaker 1: It got milk? Was it that one got milk?
Speaker 2: What was my commercial?
Speaker 1: Milk? I remember the crab band Aids commercial. I know I had a milk wine. Okay, I can't remember the script, but here at band Aid's I was a kid with a dog and the dog I was walking the dog and the dog ran and kind of scraped my knees up and I was talking about my boo boom. But it was such a such a long time ago. I can't really remember those socials. I don't like acting, though you don't know. I don't enjoy It's not something that I enjoyed. I teach acting, and so that's why I can't relate to what you said about your students, because what happens with the students my drama students, they make a.
Speaker 2: Mark, they put they have a mark.
Speaker 1: Students. I teach drama. Where do you teach drama? I teach drama at Western High School. I take drama at Weekway High School. I take drama at Eagle Academy. All these schools are in the city of New York. Yeah, I taught drama too. You ever thought about teaching drama to early child education because that is one area that has not yet tapped into my program.
Speaker 2: Really No, we do a lot of.
Speaker 1: Vocal vocal training production, but acting is something that you just gave me this like brainstorm of an idea. Because children start very young. You know that for a fact. That's how young you were when you started their baby infant commercials. What's wrong with doing acting early? That's something I would love for you to talk to you about. Okay, let's there's nothing wrong with that. You know, we have a we have a dynamic performing arts program and you need to.
Speaker 2: Come check it out because they act all day long. Yes, they.
Speaker 1: Have never worked with teaching children that young and teaching drama anyway. I've taught the Abcason one, two three is the children that young, but never any any drama. But I would I definitely want to go back and uh, because that just came in my spirit.
Speaker 2: That just came in my spirit during.
Speaker 1: Some of your moments where you can remember your memorable moments doing one of just to say, one of your live performances, is there anything about one live performance that you could say change you as an artist? Yes, my first play, I know on Somebody, the very first time that we did this play. Uh, it was.
Speaker 2: It was a really really.
Speaker 1: Bizarre journey for me because again I just I just started doing it. I didn't know anything about it, and I told her I'm the type of person who I believe I can do anything I want to do. So I knew I had a script and I knew I wanted to put to produce a stage play. So I just commenced to do and I hire these people. I had a director to you directed the director wanted to change the name of the play, wanted to change the thing, wanted to change the little boy to a little girl. And I said, you're gonna have to go write your own place. And I fired that director. I had another director, director wanted to change my theme song. You can't change my things. And then his direction it just wasn't a part of my vision. So I had to fire him.
Speaker 2: To get fired, get fired, everybody, get.
Speaker 1: Fired right right, you know? And I had to. It was necessary because they were not saying true to my vision. I do not work with people who don't believe in what I'm trying to do. I said, ooh, police, when what time said? I don't work with people who don't believe in what I'm trying to do. God, we got so much in common. Yeah, and that's true. It can't be a part of your vision. They're not for you, right. So what ended up happening is, after months of trying to put this show up, I came in one day and I told my cat, listen, I'm directing my own place. I don't know nothing about directing, but I'm gonna direct my own play.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: You want to know what happened?
Speaker 2: A thunderous applause.
Speaker 1: They were so excited that I decided to direct my own show. And what happened is they got behind me and they supported me and we just did it. We did it, and when I tell you, it was masterpiece is. And we got to the day of the show. The day of the show, Marlene, there was a gentleman who was playing the reverend. He was actually related to bat In the Bell was her cousin. Yes, he but he didn't wanted to learn his lines. So we're at tech rehearsal at Soapacked when Soapac had just opened up beautiful. So I spent a whole lot of money and he came up there not knowing his lines. And I didn't even realize. We had the microphones on and I said, sir, this isn't working out, and I fired him to everybody got right. And so now the cast is nervous because it's like, okay, she's tripping right now. But what they didn't know is I had an understudy for everybody. Nobody when I understudy, I called him and I said, you're up go upstairs and practice with your cast. They don't want to practice with him, right, I didn't have time to deal with that because props weren't there, so I had to get some props. Right. Everything was going crazy my first day and it got to the point where I just started crying. And one of the producers at SOAPAC came to me, one of the stage managers, and he said, why are you crying?
Speaker 2: I said, because the props are here. The lead man his suit.
Speaker 1: Isn't here at the show it's about to start, and I'm just not ready. And he said, listen to me, that curtains going to open a fifteen minutes to a sold out audience. Don't worry about those props, don't worry about that suit, Go run your show. And that changed me forever. See that it changed me forever, I don't know. And that gave me so much courage, the way that he was talking to me, and he said the show must go on, because that's essentially what he was saying. I did exactly what he said, and it was magic. It was magic. It was magic. After that, people were waiting in the lobby, still teary eyed, steer her crying and I'm like, why are y'all crying? What's going on? They're like, oh, because the show so good. One guy say, I'm crying because I know you. I'm crying because your show saved my marriage. I'm about to go talk to my husband. I'm going home. You know things like that, thingsut that. You got to bring that back up. Yes, I know. Somebody is a tremendous piece of work. It really is impactful, it's meaningful, it's powerful, and it inspires p Well.
Speaker 2: I do acting too, I do.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you got a great face.
Speaker 2: That's funny because I remember when the kids.
Speaker 1: Remember I was sharing before we went on live that we had a show and nothing work musically, the mic didn't work, nothing. We had no music, no sound, nothing. It's just like it was like a big sabotage in my mind, like who would do this? These are kids, right, And I had someone to say let them go. Actually was the children that showed me that they were ready without the music, because they performed a whole hour. They did that whole show without music because they were so well rehearsed they didn't need no music. And there are moments like that, and there will probably be even more moments. But you know how we improvise, We move on, and it's always a ram in the bush. There's always an angel that God would sin to just push you when the devil is trying to do so much.
Speaker 2: To change us. You understand that, and I know your faith.
Speaker 1: I know that because you always, even when you was a little girl, you always reminded me of me. You know you always, even though you like Willi Houston and Regina Bell and all of them, you was always like me because we always share. Even now during this interview, we're still sharing the same thoughts, we still have those same energy vibes that we know. You can't tell me no.
Speaker 2: I never accept no.
Speaker 1: I will get on the plane and fly to Alaska with some snow and sell it to the Eskimo, right, Okay, tell me.
Speaker 2: I can't tell me.
Speaker 1: So that's what you have to do these days. You have to stay focused. You're part of your vision. Everybody's not gonna be a part of your vision. Everybody's not gonna go with you.
Speaker 2: And like you said, you fire, you fight, you fight, those are the ones you fire.
Speaker 1: Okay. But one thing I will say about me and you, we know how to lead and we know how to step back and follow right. And I always say I always say to that Marlene it is great only good followers. Wow, make good leaders a good leader. If you weren't a good follow Oh my god, say it again. Good followers make good leaders. Can be a great follower if you're a leader. If you were not, you can't. And you know what to add to that. Sheevera always say, I love being at the podium, I love the mic. I love the mic. But I also can stand behind the scenes and be the one pulling the curtains, opening up the curtains and stuff like that. I can do that too. You also was active and in film although you don't like much acting. How does writing performance for the screen different from working on stage.
Speaker 2: As a major difference?
Speaker 1: And when you're teaching these techniques to the actors, right, because that's what I do.
Speaker 2: I teach you actors how to act.
Speaker 1: I teach them how to be on stage as well as in film. In theater, you have to use what we call your theater voice, right. You have to project, you have to be loud, and you can't be too big in theater. The difference in film is you don't want to act like that. You can't act like that in film because if I'm talking but saying the Lord film. It looks crazy that loud, right, But you have to do that on on on stage right, because the furthest audience member has to hear what you're saying. They have to film all the time. Sometimes you make up in theater too, But what if the mic isn't working right, You still have to be able to be heard by the furthest audience. So absolutely not unless the character called for that. But otherwise, and even then you still have to be big and timid. When with the film, however, it's the opposite. You want to use your inside always. You want to talk like this, and you want to give the the character as much character as you can, and it has.
Speaker 2: To be pleasant. It can be unpleasant.
Speaker 1: You have to be able to emote without even talking sometimes, so sometimes I'll tell my actors look at TV, turn down the volume and watch the film without the sound.
Speaker 2: Without the sound, Okay, you.
Speaker 1: Can see how actors act without even talking. Oh wow, language, wowye. Contact. All these things matter and film I'm gonna do that as well as theater. But in theater, whereas you do this, some subtle moving film is subtle. In theater it has to be more like this. You know, you can't do that because again the furthest order, the audience member has to see this. So instead of here like it would be a film, it's this, you know what I mean, dramatic, the trauma, the drama, drama. That's one of the major differences in theater and film. And it's easier in film because you can stop and start over and theater is live.
Speaker 2: You your one chance to get it right. But if you forget your lines, you can just make up stuff exactly.
Speaker 1: And one of the things I tell my actors is commit to your mistakes. Commit to your mistakes because guess what, they don't know the script.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: So whatever you do, you believe, believe it. So commit to your mistakes and commit all right, And and that's that's very interesting. I mean just the few seconds you just talked, that's a lot. That's a lot, and that's a lot for and I would just love for you to just come just do a test round with some five of course, yeah, we can do it.
Speaker 2: I will do that.
Speaker 1: They have a major talent show coming up this May and we didn't work on it, but you would have been so proud of those kids that you had to came to their tribute to Broadway. They did the Webs, they did Beauty and the Beast, they did the Temptations, they did Michael Jackson. And I'm telling you something. My productions is not a little tea pot. Sure you know, here's my hand. My kids don't roll like that. That are in the performing artists. They're actually singing and performing. She will they have to make up artists. Well, you said Michael Jackson, and you said the Temptations, So y'all know it's.
Speaker 2: Not you gotta come.
Speaker 1: You gotta come into one of the rehearsals. A producer by the name of Terrell from the group Fire. He comes in four days a week and work on their vocals. You know, I really would want you to check that out. It's it's a very good cause to remember. There are several locations where we could definitely have you come to look at my kids. You really are And while I'm there, I don't want to not say congratulations on twenty nine years. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your service because you are you are teaching, and you're you're you're helping this world to be a better place. When your work, the work that you do with these children, so thank you, thank you, thank you. She but and that's that's the vision, my vision. You just said it, because the foundation for them now is helping the world later as they grow up. They're getting some memories that they may not get or may not have gotten if it wasn't for one step ahead, or may not have this opportunity to do the things. One thing I do with those kids. But I stay focused on what I have to do for them. Okay, I don't we will, I don't wobble. I will not fall down when it comes to dealing with those children, not just so much with the performing arts, but academics and with the spiritual side, because I do believe that they can do all things through Christ who strengthen them.
Speaker 2: And that's what I teach them.
Speaker 1: That's what I teach them. That is so good, teaching them that at that early age. Are you let me ask you this, So, what are you currently doing now? You're working on any because you have your own original songs as well, Okay that I do know you. Are you doing any collaborations? Are are there any projects? I know? You're still traveling with the band, You're still doing your own solo things.
Speaker 2: You all over the place. You know, you don't stop. You don't because you just had to show Friday, right, So what's what's going on now?
Speaker 1: So the one thing that we're working on is Love Overboard, the Gladys Night tribute show. We are definitely developing that. I want to I want to take Love Overboard. I want I want to see Gladys Knight on Broadway. That's what I want to. Yes, you got to see the turn on bah Way. You have have, Michael Jackson. We've had the temptations. We need Gladys on Broadway. And I want to be the one to tell that story because I know when you say tell that story, do you want to be the one to perform for be Gladys or you want the actually Gladys on stage or do you want to play that role?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: I do play the role, and I can see myself doing that. But I don't have a problem with taking the back seat and allowing someone else to do it as long as I write the script and I can guess wow.
Speaker 2: But Love Overboard is my show.
Speaker 1: I created it. It is the Gladys Knight story, and I would love to see it on Broadway.
Speaker 2: And what came up, what made you come up with love overboard.
Speaker 1: Love Overboard is just I don't know, I just love the way it sounds love. She has a song called love Overboard. Okay, it does, but I like that because, you know, because I just I am love I am and so just the one love and love overboard. It just sounds like a whole lot of love.
Speaker 2: And that's what the show Love Overboard makes you feel.
Speaker 1: When I when I tell you, when I'm I'm up there performing as Gladys Knight, the audience, the whole room is full, you love.
Speaker 2: You just feel the.
Speaker 1: Love, and it's just like a it's like a domino effect just going across the whole entire room. Even to me while I'm singing it, I'm full. I get full doing that show. And so I just I don't know why I chose the name of Love Overboard, but that's part of it. I would love and it's work. But the reason I decided to do what a gladys Ary tribute show is because someone had approached me to do it. I never thought to do it. Someone approached me to do it, and we were going to go and ask producers together, but we had a lot of creative differences and so it just didn't work out. But by the time we realized that I had already cast the show and this person was just dragging her feet, dragging our feet. And I had this one boy who played one of the pips. He said to me, you know, when I saw the call for this and I realized that this was a Gladys Knight tribute show, I felt like God had answered one of my prayers because when I was a little boy, I always always want to be a pip. So you did a cast?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, said I always wanted to be.
Speaker 1: And I always wanted to be a pip. So when I got this call, I felt like God was answering my prayer. And so I was like, I'm not gonna disappoint this man. This young man is gonna be a pip because that's what he wants to do. And when this collaboration wasn't happening, it just wasn't happening, I just took it over. I took her over because that's what I do. I said, you're not going to help me, It's gonna get done it. And you know that's see, that's why I love you so much, because you remind me of me especially in your work ethics and your your training of thoughts. You're not gonna stop me, No, you you just because you don't want to see it go or you don't want to see it successful.
Speaker 2: You're just you right.
Speaker 1: There's so many people God has given us with favor, and you have favor on your life. I have faivor on my life. So what's gonna get done? Because there were a lot of people that thought gay it was not gonna open. You know, it started in twenty twenty. It's only been really open by a year and a half now, but guess what it opened. And that's where I learned dealing down there with all those men who's telling me no, no, no, it can't be done. And I kept saying, watch me. Even when I had to walk in that room by myself and negotiate my least, I knew that I had got with me, you know, So I would walk in there because I know what I wanted.
Speaker 2: I know about the industry. I'm not gonna tell you how to run.
Speaker 1: A post office or Verizon, IBM, AT and T, none of those. But I will tell you how to run a childcare s, you know. And that's what I told them and I got everything that I wanted and it's up and running because I decided to say yes, you're not gonna tell me no. So you said no, I'm not gonna go to somebody else. And this is what I tell my staff, and they will quote this to you. Miss Marlene said, if age don't work, there's twenty six letters in the alphabet, go to being. If you got to use all twenty six and n be successful. But don't let one option stop you for going on with your vision. And I said, every show, look at you, how you journal, how you put it down. You did not leave those thoughts on your pillow. You took them and you implement, and you put it on paper and you put it to work.
Speaker 2: And that's what a lot of people do.
Speaker 1: They don't implement their visions, they don't implement their dreams. They get stagnated. They take others opinions. And sometimes that's the worst thing you can do. It's solicit other people's opinion when you already know what God told you exactly and to exactly. Just be obedient. And one of the things that I think writers do, since you're talking about writing and what our journal is what I learned writing that way is the key to writing, and the key to writing for all your writers out there, came remember is head on, all your writers out there, the key to writing is simply to write. Just write. Don't worry about formatting, don't worry about the subject verb agreement, don't worry about sentence fragments, don't worry about any of that. Just write, write, tell your story. If you keep focusing on the proper grammar, you're not going to get the story out. And your story needs to be heard, So just write right right, and then once your story is on paper complete, then you go back and worry about all that stuff or hire an editor to do best stuff for you.
Speaker 2: But just write. The key to writing is to write.
Speaker 1: And that's for all you writers out of there that got journals under your bed and your trunk and your pillow and your draw to start getting it out and continue to write. Don't let your dream die, you know, don't. Because one thing I used to say to doctor love I am my writers. Look at the mind. The mind is so beautiful, and if you see something awesome, you're like, who thought? It's being full? It's beautiful and full. You know who's who thought? Because writers are dynamic people. Can you imagine what's going on in their mind? That's why you gotta get it down. I get it. That's why I'm saying it. It's full, you know. And people don't understand when I say that my mind is full, Like I don't have a lot of movie for nonsense. I don't, but you never was about nonsense there, But there are, there are communities of people, There are these things that live in my head that might sound crazy, but it's not. It's not. I'm trying to get this out. This is a story. I created a whole world card I know on somebody in my head. I'm dealing with this right now. I have time for your drama, nonsen. I don't have time for nance. But but you you sort of put me in mind of your mom, because mom is no nonsense.
Speaker 2: And even when you were a young teenager, you.
Speaker 1: Was very mature, and even to this day I know dealing with you, you're not for the nonsense, not at all. And you've always been straightforward. And that's why our friendship and you as my adopted god daughter, I'm your second mom. All that has worked because real recognize real. Okay, real recognize real, and when you're in a relationship, whether it's personal or friendship, if you be who you are, it will last a lifetime.
Speaker 2: But if you have that mask on and you're perpetrate, you can't do that. This motive is his an agenda. You can't you can't. You can't hide it.
Speaker 1: You cannot hide it. You may go for three months or a year, but you're real, it's gonna come out because you're gonna get so tired of living behind that mask.
Speaker 2: So that's why I like to be me. I like to be me.
Speaker 1: And one thing I've always said to everybody, and I mainly say this to my parents. I deal with so many people on a daily basis, from the staff to the children to the parents. When you start telling this one, this one, and this one that and it's none of that is true. You got to remember.
Speaker 2: Who you said what too. And if you don't remember, now you're a liar.
Speaker 1: So what I do is I focus on remembering the truth and telling the truth because guess what sheiva. If I tell the truth on my it's going to be the truth one exactly, you know. So it's important to have your mindset to a point where you see things in mind, you see it in time, and I think that's what writers do. They see it and they put it on paper and eventually they see it actually come to life. And I think that is so beautiful. Just like architectures, the way they create these buildings. They got to see it. That's why I say, when you get it up here, no one can take it from you. First of all, the mind is so beautiful, you know. But talking a little bit about behind the scenes, walk us through your creative process. Okay, are you the type who writes late and night or are you the type where ideas come to you in the middle of the day or is it just when you're quiet moments or is it just spur of the moments moments. The ideas come to me whenever, and as they do, I'll stop and put it in my note or I'll stop and just say it on my voice nose, if I hand type it, whatever it is. But writing again, the stories they come to me when they come. I don't know when they're going to come to me, but when they do, I start journaling.
Speaker 2: I just start writing.
Speaker 1: I'm not the onless, you know what I do write things to do? I do things to do, list no kind of like do it daily. I've gotten a little more tech kind of like put it in my list on my phone.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And one thing I like about that if I put fifteen things that I have to do, it only do three. I feel like I accomplished something, even though it's still a lot left. Right. I carry that over the next day, but I could see the accomplishment. I could see my agenda, my things to do list getting done. At one point, I try to do spoken words, you know, I try.
Speaker 2: I'm stick with.
Speaker 1: Child care, and Mom told you stick with there's something else that you have created. I had the pleasure of being there on yesterday, and there's no way I could come on this show and talk about where I was yesterday without actually going there myself. And I had the pleasure for all these years of meeting your daughter. And you know what, she made my day because she kept saying, she madyet feel like I was rich and famous and just a millionaires. She was like, ah, I know you, I know that name.
Speaker 2: I've heard Marlee. I've heard it for years.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, why, she said, my mother, and she said, I finally get to put the face to the name.
Speaker 2: So I went to your restaurant.
Speaker 1: Now tell us about this restaurant because I got a review when you finished.
Speaker 2: I have my review because I ordered off to the menu.
Speaker 1: Okay, and miss as you know how I can give reviews. Okay, So let's go. The name of the name of the restaurant is More Flavor Restaurant and Catering, and More Flavor is really a play on my daughter's name. Her name is Mariah and people call her Mo, so that's why you know the flavor and then of course more Flavor. That means we're located at seventy three Clinton Place in Newark, New Jersey. A wonderful, wonderful community to be in because the people they really really support us and each other and in that location, so we we we have a wonderful, wonderful location. And the food. Her slogan, as you can see, is it's all good. And that is because it's all good. It's all good. Mariah is a real chef. She paid her own way through culinary school. I don't know what she got the money room, and she did to the tune of about twenty seven thousand dollars. She paid for her paid her own way through culinary school.
Speaker 2: When she came to check. I had no idea this was a passion of hers.
Speaker 1: My daughter was a star athlete. She's a basketball player, okay, and that's what I knew. But when I told her, you know, she was living with me, and I said, baby, you gotta go figure it out now, right in your late twenties, it's time to figure out what it is that you want to do. And that was a hard thing to do because I showed her a bit of self.
Speaker 2: Love and I kind of kicked her out and she at her.
Speaker 1: She did not she did not receive that well, because my daughter is she's not a daddy's girl.
Speaker 2: She's a mama's girl.
Speaker 1: Okay. She is very close and very very attached to me, and so when I did that, she felt like it was a betrayal. But she went out there and she made her way. And here we are today in her very own restaurant, Most Flavor.
Speaker 2: And let me tell yall something. It is more Flavor.
Speaker 1: It is definitely as she said, it's seventy three Clinton Place. When she said Clinton Place, I knew exactly where it was because I went to Clinton Place Junior High School, so I know exactly where it was. And I went there so because I knew you was coming. I said, I can't talk about this restaurant and I will take my greenie, but they just go get something to eat.
Speaker 2: And I ordered a lot. I ordered the catfish.
Speaker 1: I ordered the or the mac and cheese, the macaroni and cheese. I ordered the pot roads, I ordered the cabbage. I had dessert. I had tea, I had the macaroni salad. I had ordered everything. So thought it was something that I had so much food.
Speaker 2: I had cakes. I had cakes.
Speaker 1: And let me tell you something. I keep it real, you know, and I would be like, see, y'all need to go back and maybe work on it. This didn't taste good. I can't say that. Oh good, I can't say that. I cannot say that, and I mean it from the bottom of heart. Y'all need to go to seventy three Clinton Place and check this sister out.
Speaker 2: Check out Sheba. She was just brought me a home. I can't show you nothing.
Speaker 1: But it's out there in the office, a homemade people take the poet. She brought it just for me, and I'm gonna either before Thanksgiving. But let me tell y'all something.
Speaker 2: Go there. They have great hours. They're clothes on Mondays. They're open eight.
Speaker 1: To six on Tuesday, Saturday, nine to six on Sundays, and they clothes on Monday.
Speaker 2: The food is absolutely and let me have that.
Speaker 1: And it's made with love. You know. We have a lot of love and that's our customer service. That's what we do when we treat people with the love that they deserve. This the pie, you know, And I'm going to enjoy this tonight when I get home and relax, I can watch some football.
Speaker 2: I hope that Dallas Cowboys will winning right about now.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but Sheba, I want you to sing again for us. Sing again.
Speaker 2: We're gonna close it out with you singing. We got five minutes. Yes, let's do. I want to hear, y'all want to hear. You never know, you never know who's share.
Speaker 1: But don't forget to check out Most Flavor Restaurant and catering again.
Speaker 2: That seventy three Clinton Place. That's how catering restaurant.
Speaker 1: That food is delicious, from the catfish to the whities, to the macaroni cheese, to the collar greens, to the cabbage, to the stream beers to they Okay.
Speaker 2: They were so good. Please go there.
Speaker 1: I went there so that I could tell y'all go there, support each other, support my friends, support my daughter, support my sister.
Speaker 2: And let me tell you something else.
Speaker 1: It's absolutely beautiful inside. It was clean, it was smell good. It was welcome, and the customer service was through the roof. Thank you, you are welcome. I loved it. I love you, Marlene.
Speaker 2: I love you too, just like.
Speaker 1: Two three minutes. Okay, well we'll give minute, okay, go aha, alcapella, okay, I I will do all the time. Hold together. In the worst condition forever we knew it would be one of and hazard grow into this no.
Speaker 2: Job.
Speaker 1: We both mad sure peace of heaven. Would we stand in it? Test for its strength was made able.
Speaker 3: Faith in roll and gone will be, and all.
Speaker 1: To make an even stroll.
Speaker 4: True will never die, long after the love is lost and shine.
Speaker 1: And after it's all died and borne and the nooness all where's off? Will still be love it? Oh my goodness, oh my goodness. We have been raised with Sheba real quick, she but raptified questions right now your face to place, right, Oh j and Roe, you would love to play again night to your coffee when writing fresh maid lemon tea honey, your go to so and before performance, okay, one word that describe your journey so far? Aw and who you love? I love you and I love you and you guys know what ye'ah. I have been watching the One Step Ahead radio show hosted by me, doctor Marlen Mack. I am just so full. I'm trying not to cry because this is my girl right here. When she call I'm running when I call, she running. And this is somebody that we don't see every day. But you just have that friend that you know is there for you. That's Sheba. You interested in meeting her and hearing her perform. More importantly, go check out that restaurant. I'm telling you it's dining and you can sit there and you can eat there as well. And the food was piping hot, understand, just like this young lady right here, who's piping hot. Remember if one step ahead, allow you to go for it, but life want to take you back. Remember it's one step ahead.
Speaker 2: Just keep on.
Speaker 1: Going, keep on moving, don't give up. And remember we'll be back here next Sunday. We're gonna close out my twenty ninth anniversary twenty nine years and we're gonna have a big party in here next week. She was celebrated twenty nine years and I just thank God for the journey. So stay tuned, come back, Thank you for listening. Checking in the One Step Ahead radio show on Sosradio dot Live. I am your host about the side off. We'll see you next Sunday at five point thirty.
Speaker 2: Looping Looping
Speaker 1: Tect