Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the.
Speaker 2: iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Perfect Blake Snell said it best when he was coming up, it's his bobblehead night.
Speaker 2: Everyone knew.
Speaker 1: We knew, it's just what he does with that walk off, home run, ugly start to the game. Took eight innings for the Daughters to claw their way back, and what an exclamation point there. We also knew that today was going to be a mess on Wall Street right, Let's make no no, let's waste no time getting into it. Financial markets around the world are a mess. Taking a look at Wall Street down fourteen hundred points. We saw this coming as Liberation Day hit yesterday. Let's get to Sawhawk Manuelian. He is a managing director of the head of Equity Trading at web Bush Securities there in Pasadena. Sawhawk, thanks for joining us as warning to make sense of all of this. Like I said, we knew, we saw the futures markets yesterday. We knew what was going to happen with the opening bell today, the uncertainty playing out. I guess the first question is how long do you anticipate this to last.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me on my pleasure, and how long do we anticipate That's a great question. I don't think anybody has a good answer to that. So we're kind of seeing what happens next. But for the time being, we have to kind of go into this like this is here to stay until something changes. Now, we don't necessarily think that this will be here to stay, and we think that a lot of this will be negotiations in the coming I don't know weeks or months, but hopefully some of these numbers will come down from what they were just set at last night from the administration.
Speaker 1: So all imports to the US will be subject to at least a ten percent tariff, effective on the fifth Saturday. But the real news the incremental, huge incremental tariffs imposed on some of our biggest trading partners. You numbers higher than expected going into effect next week. We're looking at thirty four percent on China. China hit particularly hard by the new tariffs. What are we going to be spending more for?
Speaker 3: I think the easy answer to that would be probably most everything. China was hit particularly hard, Europe was hit particularly hard, Taiwan Vietnam all hit very hard, and so realistically, if these stays as they were set last night, you know, we will be paying a lot more for most things we're consuming. So it'll be it'll be very tough. It'll be very interesting how some of this, how some of this translates, and considering you know, Trump was just on television last week teasing that, you know, what he comes out with yesterday, when he comes out on Liberation Day, won't be as bad as maybe most feared. It was quite the opposite.
Speaker 1: So I was talking to some money people that I know this morning because this is not my wheelhouse, and they were saying, essentially, and I'm not asking for advice from you, but they were saying, essentially what you hear most of the time when there is market turmoil. Again, this is probably the worst day we're going to see on Wall Street since COVID I've been rating. But anyway, the money people are saying, don't make any moves right now. Don't panic that this will correct. Like you said, we don't really have a timetable for this. But if we know Trump, we know that this is his opening salvo, this is his opening point of negotiation, and that these will be dialed back somewhat as talks continue with other countries.
Speaker 3: I would agree with that, especially I would underscore the opening salvo and opening negotiation tactics from Trump and the administration. Having said that, I think that investors should be really just looking over what they have their portfolios and where they stand with an asset mix. It's it's I think very important for investors to remember that the second half of twenty twenty four, you know, we had some huge moves to the upside and a lot of stocks, specifically within you know, tech stocks, and so we've had some nice you know year to well, not year today, but we've had some very nice gains over the last couple of years. We're seeing some volatility this year. The tariffs don't help, and so things are quite volatile right now. But again we're coming off of the last two years which have been very very good for stocks, and I think it's important for investors to know what they own within their portfolio and to possibly take a little bit of a more defensive posture within their portfolio. We've got bonds acting while this morning, treasury certainly have a bid. While the more cyclical and the more risk assets are down the hardest. But again we've got defensive like consumer staple stocks, healthcare stocks, utilities. These are all relative outperformers today.
Speaker 1: I didn't ask you, and I didn't ask our producer. Are you okay to hang on for one more segment? I just have another quick question about setting aside cash when the media attention is negative, If that's time to invest, can you stick around for another segment?
Speaker 3: Certainly?
Speaker 2: Awesome? Great.
Speaker 1: We're talking to Sahawk Manwellian. He's managing director, head of equity trading at web Bush Securities. Again a crazy day on Wall Street. We knew this was coming with the tariffs, but what does it all mean and what does it mean for your money? We'll continue talking to Sahawk when we continue it.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Just breaking this hour.
Speaker 1: Trump he said to be firing several National Security Council officials over concerns they're not sufficiently loyal. We were talking in the wake of the Signal app debacle of him having heads roll because of it, and I thought to myself.
Speaker 2: Well, that's not what he's going to do. These are his guys.
Speaker 1: That he picked, and Gary and I were talking about it, and he had parted ways with guys in his previous inner circle. You know, you think about Jeff Sessions and the like Mike Pompeo, but those were guys that did not remain loyal in his eyes, and I think that's where the heads begin to roll. Anyway, we continue to follow what's going on on Wall Street markets all down because of the reaction globally when it comes to the markets and the tariffs and what will the impact be. The Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney says they're going to be imposing counter auto tariffs in response to Trump's announcement. He says that these are going to be felt around the world world Trump's tariffs and that it is fundamentally different today the global economy than it was yesterday. And the markets they like certainty and that's not what they're going to get. For a while, we've been talking to Sahawk Manuelian, he's a managing director over there at web Bush Securities and Pasadena head of Equity Training, and Sahawk we hear from Canada that they're going to impose counter auto tariffs. We've heard that China has threatened retaliation. So not only do the markets need to contend with the Trump's tariffs, but now kind of awaiting how the globe responds.
Speaker 3: The volatility is so real for us here in the US markets as there's so much uncertainty of exactly how these things will ultimately shake out. Lots of you know, corresponding countries saying a lot of different things right now, but we just don't know yet, and so it'll be a wait and see. And so long as it's a wait and see type process here, the volatility will will most likely persist. And unfortunately it's a negative impact and certainly a headwind for for our domestic equities. And and again it's it's consumers being impacted here, business is getting impacted, and then you know, ultimately jobs will be impacted. It's just to what degree, And that's what we don't know yet. And we don't know if these stick and how long these tariffs stick, and if we get any you know, kind of adjustments to these tariff numbers that we saw from last night. So there's just a lot of uncertainty and that's what these that's what this market is clearly reflecting this morning.
Speaker 1: My buddy Tim Conway Junior let me know he's got extra tickets to Santa Anita this weekend. And I know how to bet on horses, and I know how to bet all day at the pigo table, blackjack, really, any games of chance, I'm your girl. But when it comes to money, I'm less sure. I read that if now could be the time if you were a gambling individual, if you're into playing around with your money, if you had money to play with, that it could be a time for deploying some of that when the media is negative when it comes to investments. Is that something you're hearing again? Not asking for your advice, but just it's something that I read this morning that now may be a time if you want to play around.
Speaker 3: Sure, I think that, you know, with with markets down as much as they are, it's really looking at what you want to invest in now, And you know, from our vantage anyways, a lot of the big winners over the last couple of years, namely tech stocks and consumer discretionary stocks, those have been laggard's year to date. We think that trend probably continues, and what we think looks interesting here are the more defensive equities. Defensive plays such as healthcare, consumer staples, and utilities. And I think that those which have been relative performers day year today, we probably continue to stay relative performers here to date. So we think a lot of those look pretty interesting here.
Speaker 2: All right, Sahawk Manuelian.
Speaker 1: He is the head of equity training at web Bush Securities in Pasadena. Thank you so much, Sahawk for your time. I really appreciate your analysis on a day like today.
Speaker 3: My pleasure. Thank you again for having me on.
Speaker 2: Of course, all right, we will stay on top of this.
Speaker 1: Keep an eye on Wall Street again, though, I mean, all the advice from all the people in the know is just don't look at Wall Street today, not until things kind of level off a little bit again. Like Sahawk and I were saying, it's Trump's opening salvo in terms of coming to the table and figuring out how the US can get less screwed when it comes to tariffs. Why do we pay so much versus what other countries pay. Maybe it's time for the constant, the conversation. And you got to believe that if this continues, if we're really hurt at home, and we're really hurt when it comes to our four case that Trump's not going to want to gamble with that kind of unpopularity. I believe that, but I guess we'll all just have to wait and see together, all right, Coming up next.
Speaker 2: I started reading this article this morning.
Speaker 1: It was in the cut and it piqued my interest because it's about a course at UCSB and it's called Critical Heterosexuality Studies.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, what the hell is that?
Speaker 1: And I click on at because it's like new course to study hetero relationships.
Speaker 2: I'm like, why do we need a course to study that?
Speaker 1: And I click onto this article and I think, Ah, this isn't this isn't that interesting. But I read it for about ten minutes. I thought, well, that's interesting enough. There's a woman who's teaching this course. She's a sociologist, and it's the first of its kind to steatter us to study being straight. And it's fascinating and you will not believe some of the things that she says. She says that this class is going to be a place where we worry about straight people, where we feel sympathy for straight people. We're gonna be allies, she says to straight people. It is fascinating. We'll talk about it when we come back.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Who's ever in charge of Mark Chrisky and the way that he looks should get all the awards in television.
Speaker 2: My god, Mark.
Speaker 1: Chrisky has been He looks like he looked twenty years ago when I moved to LA, and he was recently out with all these vocal cord issue at KTLA for a few months.
Speaker 2: He was gone.
Speaker 1: He had a stroke I believe last year that had him out for a couple months and he is back.
Speaker 2: My god, he's incredible.
Speaker 1: He had another health scare a handful of years ago, if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 2: But he looks great.
Speaker 1: I mean, my goodness. Fascinating, also fascinating. Strange science will be coming up. Keana has ended out of the park today. We've wondered about NASA and the underwear. Okay, I've wondered about NASA and the underwear, and I think other people have. I don't think I'm alone in that, no matter how much Gary tries to tell me I am. But there was an article in Slate about a woman who used to work at NASA, and she, of course has a lot of friends who work at NASA, one of which is a program scientist for the International Space Station, and she says, we hear almost everything because they monitor astronauts health, their psychological state, overall comfort, everything, flight controllers always paying attention for safety reasons.
Speaker 2: But they hear all the things.
Speaker 1: They hear the burps and the farts and the heacups and the bathroom situations.
Speaker 2: All the human things, right.
Speaker 1: And the woman who writes the article for Slate says, for as long as I worked in science communication at NASA, people always ask me the same two questions. First, they want to know about the bathroom stuff. Then they want to know about the sex, which was new to me. This had not occurred to me. And she goes on to write how people have been interested in space sex since at least nineteen ninety two, when the first and only married astronaut couple joined the Space Shuttle mission and lived in space together. So we'll get into that coming up in Strange Science. See, now you're going to have to hang on till the twelve o'clock hour because you want to know.
Speaker 2: Just like me.
Speaker 1: That's all I've read, by the way, So we're alone in the knowledge department when it comes to space sex until we get to that in the meantime. I saw this article this morning in the Cut and it's about a new course at UCSB, and it's called Critical Heterosexuality Studies.
Speaker 2: And this is entertaining as hell.
Speaker 1: A sociologist's named Jane Ward teaches this. She's fifty one. The author describes her as a young looking fifty one, wears Birkenstocks, sandy blonde hair couple natural grays. And she is the chair at UCSB of the Department of Feminist Studies. And this is a new seminar that she is teaching, an intro to her area of expertise, straight studies. If this is new to you of this being an area of expertise, welcome to my club.
Speaker 2: It is also new to me.
Speaker 1: This is a rundown of a typical Monday in the class. This was January seventy two degrees at Santa Barbara, after all, and they said that twenty eight undergraduates start moving their desks into a circle there inside a classroom. You know, the usual college students, Baggy Jean's, oversized T shirts, a sticker on one laptop that says f tuition You know the usual.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The fun thing about the teacher, Jane Ward, the sociologist teaching the study or the seminar on heterosexual studies, is she is a lesbian. One student named Anthony says, I feel like this class is going to answer a lot of.
Speaker 2: Why are they like that? Why are they like that? He is a.
Speaker 1: Global studies major. Anthony, he identifies as gay. Sarah is another one. She is a student. She's a comparative literature major from Long Beach, and she says, I feel bad for some of my straight friends. They're like, oh my god, my boyfriend got me flowers for the first time in two years. Danny is a psychology and brain sciences major from Dallas who is bisexual. She says she observed her self behave in ways that disturbed her when she dated men. She was more submissive, more self conscious, inattentive to her own needs. She wanted to understand why. Julia is another student. She says she's actually straight, but queer enough to be in the class. She says that a lot of straight relationships can create a type of insecurity. There is Simran, a feminist studies student psychology double major, actually describes herself as constantly confused about her sexuality but definitely not straight. She has trouble imagining being a parent without a man in the picture. And what's that all about? Why do I feel this way? She wanted to know, and the teacher, Miss Ward, Jane Ward, said, well, let's try to answer these questions in the next few weeks, she said, In this class, we're going to flip the script. It's going to be a place where we worry about straight people, where we feel sympathy for straight people again. As you can imagine, this class is the first of its kind approaching straight culture head on as its primary subject. As you can imagine, few academics have been drawn to this topic.
Speaker 2: There have been.
Speaker 1: Sex research classes, courses going on. You're thinking Freud, you're thinking Kinsey. Never has anyone sat down to say, what's all this straight stuff all about?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: It's only been kind of the wallpapers, the author writes, the wallpaper against which other exhibits are hung.
Speaker 2: It just is.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, they dig into what the straight culture is all about, and it gets pretty insane.
Speaker 5: It goes on to talk about this course about how hard life is for women straight women, and how there have been decades of just expecting men to get better, but they haven't.
Speaker 1: It's it's insane, you guys. It is crazy. And I think my takeaway not to spoil it, not that you're you're waiting for it, but is you shouldn't go to your heterosexual relationship for your overall well being. You know, you shouldn't try to get everything you want out of life and out of your self improvement out of your heteros any relationship, homosexual relationship, heterosexual relationship, whatever. You can't go to your partner for everything. And I feel like this course is trying to say that because women straight women can't go to their straight boyfriend or husband or partner for all of this enrichment.
Speaker 2: Get rid of them altogether.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating to see their math on it. We'll get into it when we come back.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six.
Speaker 1: Forty awful, ending to a horrific story out of the Valley that ended up in In the Antelope Valley, the remains of a thirteen year old boy who was missing from the valley actually been found in Oxnard. He was supposed to be seeing a friend in Lancaster over the weekend. On Sunday, he was reported missing on thirteen. His body was discovered yesterday. We will get into more of the details about that. You're going to be hearing a lot about this story, and if you not, you should because his family has been speaking two different news outlets. I believe they are only Spanish speaking. But thirteen year old boy missing turns up body has been found now in.
Speaker 2: Oxnard, so we'll stay on top of that.
Speaker 1: We are talking about this new course at University of Santa Barbara u CSB, and it's called let Me Find It because it's of course very overly detailed, a course called Critical Heterosexual Studies, basically a class about straight people. And where we left off, we were talking about sociologist Jane Ward. She teaches this class. She is a chair of feminist Studies. She is a homosexual, she's a lesbian. She is teaching this course, first of its kind. And we were talking about the students and them just having questions about why I behave this way in a heterosexual relationship, or why can I not see raising a child without a man, these types of things, and the goal was to answer all of these questions. But it is fascinating to hear a lesbian teach a course on straight people, but she has also had her own time, her own personal experience in straight relationships as well. She points out that polls leading up to the last elections showed the widest gap in political views in American history. That men seem to be younger, men more conservative these days, and you're seeing women kind of move in the other direction, at least in the younger directions, and the reporter for the Cut Rights enough young American women are fed up with current realities to make a sizeable trend of their own, declaring themselves boy sober or voluntarily celibate, proclaiming themselves as part of the four B movement born in South Korea. We've talked about this rejects all sexual and romantic relationships with men. And I ask you, if you're my age or age adjacent, haven't we as straight women, If you're a straight woman, or even if you're not a straight woman, gone through phases in life where you swear off relationships or like, Okay, I've had enough of that. I'm just going to be by myself for a while right figure out what I want.
Speaker 2: It's pretty normal.
Speaker 1: It's just this day and age, we have to throw a label onto everything, whether it's anxiety or what have you, or now boy sober. It's just maybe taken some time, but anyway, we're labeling things.
Speaker 2: So those are the labels.
Speaker 1: In twenty nineteen, there was a gender scholar Asia Saronson who coined the term heteropessimism to describe straight women's expressions of regret, embarrassment, and hopelessness about their hetero lives. She spent some time in the Straight course talking about this woe is me, it's so hard to be straight? What a luxury that is for this country. At UCSB nonetheless, to be sitting in a classroom and thinking, oh my god, poor straight women, they have it so rough. Wow, Okay, this teacher, sociologist Jane Ward says, I think it's a really tough pill to swallow for.
Speaker 2: Many straight women.
Speaker 1: She says, her quote here that the hope that men were getting better with each generation, that on time, that in time they would be more committed to gender justice or equity, and it simply did not come true. Now, maybe she's talking about politics, Maybe she's talking about men in power, the failure of the country to elect a female president in twenty twenty five. Maybe that's what she's talking about, but in this guise, it seems like she's talking about men you're in relationships with if you're a straight woman, And that's a tall order to add for your straight partner, husband, boyfriend, to really be a champion of gender justice or equity, right, How often does that come up?
Speaker 2: That doesn't sound like a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: She approaches her subject, they say, through a miss mix of historical research, current cultural analysis, blah blah blah blah blah, and spent some time on the other side as well.
Speaker 2: She says that we have decades.
Speaker 1: Of evidence that heterosexuality often fails women.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: She talks about how she joined a Mom's club at one point, a national support group for at home moms that has chapters around the country, and she says that so these are new moms, right. And she says she met a bunch of straight women in these groups and that she realized that dealing with these these women, that there was this unequal division of domestic l there were husband's infidelities, there were so many emotional needs unmet.
Speaker 2: She says it was heartbreaking.
Speaker 1: Well, these are new moms. You're not going to find a more hormonally active room than new moms who are dealing with all the emotions of having a baby. And yes, of course you feel like the division of labor is unfair.
Speaker 2: You're a new mom, it is unfair.
Speaker 1: Of course, that is the time when husbands are the most not loyal. There's been a lot of research about that people are pregnant or they are new moms.
Speaker 2: This is going to be a.
Speaker 1: Bad sample of people to talk to about the life as a as.
Speaker 2: A heterosexual woman.
Speaker 1: She also spends some time in this course talking about this book, The Tragedy of Heterosexuality, that came out in the fall of twenty twenty. This is all about a generation of working straight women six months into COVID.
Speaker 2: Well, what the hell did you think was going to happen?
Speaker 1: We were forced inside with each other for a year. Of course, you're going to have more strains on the relationships. She's basing the hard life of straight women off of new moms and women who wrote a book about it being hard stuck in the home with their husband for six months because of COVID. Eventually, it winds around to feminism and what was called radical feminism at the time, and she does spend some time talking about the need for women to become financially independent, which is something that I believe in. If you're financially independent, then you're free to leave the marriage or the relationship or whatever at any time. And that's the key people who to get stuck in any relationship, gay, straight animals, whatever the hell it is.
Speaker 2: You don't want to be trapped. That's just common sense.
Speaker 1: But the idea that there's a whole course now UCSB over the plight of the straight woman is fascinating. And what ah Luxury try to teach this in Ukraine. See how far you get? All right, coming up next, I thought it was only a matter of time. We've talked about e bikes and how on their face, how wildly dangerous it is to give a bike, a motorcycle light type bike to a kid who doesn't even have a driver's license. These things go up to fifty sixty miles an hour. Well, now we're seeing the crashes and we're seeing them be reported, and I think that the tide may be turning in terms of the rules catching up to the popularity of these bikes. And it's all for safety and I think it should be done. We'll talk about it coming up next on Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 5: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app