Speaker 1: Streaming live on the Ihearts Radio WIB. This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Whying the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera. You're jigansaws. Thanks everybody for listening. We got Henry at the board. We still survive this, KO give me affected this. So you know, you talked about Kaleb being the guy who's number two, who's a must, who's a must.
Speaker 3: It's funny because there's so many Yeah, I think I think I'm gonna I was gonna say Henry. I think, you know, because when Henry, when Henry goes off again in a bunch of different ways, he's getting rebounds, you know, protecting the rim, you know, hitting you know, hitting some shots, you know, and getting the ball inside because he can move really well with the you know, with the ball, you know. And if you got a game where Henry goes out for you know, fifteen and eight or something like that, that's that adds a lot to what they do, right, you know. And so I put Henry the next the next guy up on that just from the standpoint that again, if that happens.
Speaker 2: They're really good, Right, Okay, I'm gonna put. I'm gonna put go ahead. I was just kJ kJ kJ. He's not gonna score a bunch of points. He's got to play some defense and not.
Speaker 4: Turn the ball out. That's all he's got to do.
Speaker 2: And he's been the X factor for a few of the people at REST. So I'm gonna go three with Jayden Bradley because he's the point guard. He has, he's the ball. He hasn't been the Jyden Bradley that we had seen earlier in the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's been a little The offense has been a little more chaotic.
Speaker 4: He's not getting to the basket and he's not getting in to the basket.
Speaker 3: But but obviously, you know, teams are scouting that and they're playing that.
Speaker 4: They're not letting him get to the basket. But you know, that's his game.
Speaker 3: Game, that's his game or you know, Gay, you know, getting in there and hitting the fifteen footer if he's if he's going to hit that twelve to fifteen footer every time that he's been and he's been taking pretty good at it last couple of games he has, he's he missed a few, know, because when I see him take that shot, I'm like, that's two points and then he's missed a few.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, So I'm gonna go with a Waka four even though you need him. Yeah, and he's been you know, he is the big twelve. They bought him in the He.
Speaker 4: Is the big He's Yeah.
Speaker 3: He he's a big reason why you know what's he got six double doubles in a row or something like that. I mean, you know, he's a man in there, and and he's not taking any crap from anybody.
Speaker 4: He gets he gets tough rebounds.
Speaker 3: See that's the thing that I like with the difference between you know, a Waka and and and Masar.
Speaker 4: They're two completely different.
Speaker 3: Is the taller guy, but Walker I mean, but a Walka is the guy that you want him inside.
Speaker 2: It's a fastball and a curveball. Yeah, you know, on the ones one and the ones the other. Okay, So then you have kJ maybe or is it Bryant ahead of kJ because you need Bryant to.
Speaker 4: You need him, but you met him though, you need.
Speaker 2: Him in bed good because that's all you're getting, Yeah, because that's all.
Speaker 3: You're getting from you know, he's still you know, I saw a draft, a Monk draft.
Speaker 4: They had me eleven potential. Yeah, because, yeah, I mean it's the draft potential. I get that.
Speaker 3: But you know, and he does some great things, but there's something you know, he'll go and stretches and he'll just look like a kid.
Speaker 2: Foul people intentionally or or whatever stupidly. So yeah, no, but they need him because he's a threat from the perimeter. And that's why I like dol Orso. So you know, he's the starter, but he's not really a starter, but he needs to hit. If he hits three or four shots from the perimeter, that's gravy.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing that I think that that that Tommy has adjusted to, and that the offense is adjusted too, is that they're not relying on the three point shot.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: They know they they know they can't shoot, you know, a high high enough percentage to make it an integral part of their offense.
Speaker 4: It's enough a part of their offense.
Speaker 3: That they they've got to guard Caleb, they've got to guard Jayden, They've even got to guard Henry out there, and and uh and and and Bryanton del Orso. But they don't shoot so many that it's like everything runs through that. Everyzone's trying to get the ball, you know, get the ball on the inside of fifteen feet all the time.
Speaker 4: Even Caleb, you'll see him.
Speaker 3: I mean, there've actually been a couple of times that I, you know, you see him get the one. I thought, why didn't you shoot that? And he drives the lane, you know, he gets a layup or you know, you know, gets it inside and then kicks it out to somebody. So I feel like he's doing he's doing a lot more besides just standing out there waiting for an open three pointer.
Speaker 4: And I think that's been a big deal to what they've been doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, uh in the bench, you know, here here's a nitty gritty baby.
Speaker 4: He asked what he has, and that's it, right, it's eight guys, it's eight guys.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's it's you know, Tray Townsend, it's the guys who have been starting with Vasar and the starting lineup, and then it's Tray Townsend, Carter Bryant and kJ Lewis.
Speaker 4: And you see the pattern, you.
Speaker 3: Know, when he makes his first substitution of the game, it's a it's a it's Vasar Bryant and uh and and kJ come in, you know, and it completely changes what they're doing. Yeah, you know, or yeah, I mean he subbed, he subbed. I know, he subbed dot Caleb at the first TV time out on on U on Wednesday night. And I thought that was unusual that you know, well he because usually usually the starting line goes in is then at least past the first was the scored.
Speaker 2: By that time, because if he really doesn't need him offensively, he's just gonna, yeah, rust them up. They were up a few, you know, they got up early. They had a twenty four point lead at one point. Yeah, and then they here's the issue. They do this a lot. They let go of that lead and against good teams. Guess what happened? Then it keeps going, It keeps going. You know that's not good. Yeah, yeah, uh and guess what's gonna happen? And we talked about it. What's happen in the next the next five three four weeks, it's all.
Speaker 4: Good teams that side of maybe a Tuesday game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, starting well exeph as he was in the middle of that, starting with I, I you know, Iowa state that they got a s U and then they then it's Kansas and.
Speaker 4: It's nothing but tournament teams after that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you know, because you're you're if you're you know, you're you're seeded into the into the third round in the Big twelve Tournament, you're life playing a tournament team because we're going to get like eight teams in the tournament, and.
Speaker 2: There are let me tell you, there are very few better tournament teams than the Big twelve Tournament. Right, Well, I think we had the course of course, you.
Speaker 4: Know we had.
Speaker 2: Uh it's a fantastic tournament just for that the competition alone. Yeah, be on the alert because he'll be calling us in a little bit, Okay, Yeah, so uh no, you know, they've.
Speaker 3: Got one easy game, and easy to me, I mean, they're going to going to be the hell out of those guys, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean, Bobby Hurley might not even have a job after that. Well you know that.
Speaker 3: So you know, it's it's just a mess up there. But you know, so from here on out, starting tomorrow, it's it's a grind.
Speaker 4: And not that it's a one and done.
Speaker 2: It's not a one and done in the next couple of weeks, but it's going to start to be that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you feel that way.
Speaker 3: You feel that you know, you might play three games in three days and then you got to turn around and go, you know, go to an n c Double A tournament. So uh it, you know it's it's starting. It starts now. It starts tomorrow with this game in Iowa State tomorrow.
Speaker 2: So before we go for the they get set up with Auburn. That's fantastic and that's a hell of them. So you have a big scheduled next week twelve, and then you have the the other games, the.
Speaker 3: Dukes and the Ramas and all the duke you got Alabama you're gonna have u c l A again, and and then Auburn.
Speaker 4: I mean that's our games. Kon oh, Yukon. They got Yukon. Yeah, you say they do. Then you, Clay don't.
Speaker 3: Have duke anymore. They're done with you. They've had their home home. So it's Yukon, Alabama, Auburn and in the u c l A next.
Speaker 4: Year for the addition to what we see the hyphenated teams that come into town, yeah, which are very few, but the big twelve.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then I think he also said they were going to go to eighteen game schedule, eighteen game Big twelve schedule. Really you said that on the show, we're gonna drop us from twenty to eighteen. Yeah, because they they don't want to play the common Skins before the you're gonna play him after the eliminated two games, Tommy. Tommy broke the news yesterday yesterday and the show, And I'm not sure I should be saying that's what we're gonna do. I just hope Kansas comes down. Yeah, you know, yeah, well they got it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That just means that there's gonna be teams that you're gonna play twice in a season. Fewer of those, but you know, you got to play everybody, you know.
Speaker 4: So we'll see what happens. If you have tickets. Great. I was disappointing the crowd, Henry called in yesterday.
Speaker 2: I was really pissed at the crowd. Henry called industry without terrible.
Speaker 3: You know it got me was again the usual, Right they pay, they're pissed off at the eight o'clock in eight thirty games, right and they get so you give them seven o'clock game. Guess what they don't show or they're or they're really late.
Speaker 2: Well, we saw the pictures. He turned to you guys and to look with this man.
Speaker 3: I said, yeah, why I made that comment at forty nine seconds left on the on the pregame clock, and the place was there were probably eight thousand people there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it did fill out nicely, better not didn't.
Speaker 3: Finish because they had those white toles on all the chair so it was easy to see where somebody was, where somebody didn't show for their seat.
Speaker 2: You right, you probably see him in the corner for five bucks somewhere. Got them all in so and my brother collected a whole bunch of them. He stole mine. Now I gave it to him. They were going to be hearing from Tom Tolbert any any moment here in the next couple of minutes. Uh, you know it's talking about favorite stories.
Speaker 4: What did you think of that thing?
Speaker 3: You know, because there I sat with Tommy and him getting a little choked up about and then a bunch of people are going on on social media saying, you know, why why is why is he you know, why is he emotional about this? You know the the coach got his five million dollars. You know, those guys are on the team they're criticizing him forgetting emotional.
Speaker 4: What Twitter? Twitter? Yeah, yeah, I think the reporter from Channel four. Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Can't remember her name, I'm sorry, but she posted she posted the clip, and all the comments about it were, you know, what a weenie he's been, and you know.
Speaker 4: Why is he upset that?
Speaker 3: You know, the coach got five million dollars. Those guys are grown up. They shouldn't know they're on the team and they should be there.
Speaker 2: Anyways, I'm like, really, you're not supposed to be a having no good stories here.
Speaker 4: It's the news. I just want to I just want to slap some people.
Speaker 3: Jennifer, Yeah, think Jennifin. You know she posted that and also a bunch of the responses were that tom what do you up said about Tommy?
Speaker 4: He got five million bucks?
Speaker 3: And but he said that when you somebody say it's not about the money, these are our families that are going through these things.
Speaker 4: Dad loses his job. It's tough on the kids.
Speaker 2: I'm glad I didn't see that. I'm gone. We live in a world that's just kind of crazy.
Speaker 4: I want to slap the hell out of some people. Steve, I'm sitting over there prepared because it's going to be a bumpy ride.
Speaker 5: From here on out.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: We'll see, we'll see in a lot of different areas. So no, that was that was good. In fact, it humanized him even more. And then the funny thing about is he goes emotional and then return to scheduled program. He gets on Bruce, what are you talking about? You know you're back to normal.
Speaker 4: What do you make of the relationship.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's I joke about it because Bruce gets it too. It's a give and take and a lot of it's tongue in cheek and they get each other. Yeah, but Bruce, Bruce doesn't purposely egg game on. He just asked the questions the way he asked the questions. Yeah, and he and then Tommy kind of does with that paplop dog kind of looks why are you doing this? He went with me a couple of times. One time I asked him, you know, you know you've been playing playing closes the game thing. I told you. They've been playing close over the last couple of weeks, last couple of weeks, the last few months. You know what I'm saying, It's been close closely. The last three had a four. Yeah, and they all been good games. I mean, is it couldn't kind of it was a relief game and he didn't go to his bench till one minute.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know. And then that's the thing.
Speaker 3: I mean at the end, you know, when when they're up twenty, I'm like, this actually kind of feels good because we haven't had one of these run right, right, and you know, a game that wasn't tensed down the stretch.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, and that's when I got to that thing.
Speaker 3: That's been more fun sure, you know, watching you know, watching a game and not just saying, okay, let's get this over with, right, you know, let's want you know, these games are more fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think it's been great.
Speaker 2: I think those who who paid the money and didn't sell her tickets have enjoyed the season and will continue to enjoy the sea.
Speaker 4: I know, if I could afford some or whatever, I would buy something.
Speaker 3: I like to think that after a year of this, right going through this this year, that the fans will make that adjustment for next You realize this is how it's going to be. Instead of thinking I wish it was like it was before.
Speaker 2: Mentally, mentally yeah, yeah, I think you're probably right. Have to be recalibrated and what to expect because I think you did twice. You know that they're gonna that they're gonna beat the hell out of it. Just it's just more fun. I'm having way more fun it is. I mean, if you want to be entertained and welcome to the Big twelve. And even mentioned that too, this is the Big twelve. I get it, you know, I get it. I wonder if he was fine, he wasn't gonna probably go there, but for talking about the red shot because he doubled.
Speaker 4: Down on it, and he's right, it was a bad it was a bad call.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's yeah, So I don't know, it's it's I mean, I would I like the football season to be easy.
Speaker 4: I would, but it's not going to be right, you know. Uh no, you know, let me ask you, what do you think?
Speaker 2: I know you do this, But what's a crossover in terms of there's two different entertainments money value basketball? What we gotta call Oh, you're on the air, on the eye on the ball. Is this Tom?
Speaker 5: It is Tom?
Speaker 4: Tom? Are you doing Tom to? How the hell are you? Jagan's alas on the other side of the mic.
Speaker 5: What's happening?
Speaker 2: How's life for you? You look, let me tell you something. You look fantastic on video. Lost a lot of weight. I know, do you really look that good?
Speaker 4: He does.
Speaker 5: I don't know how good I look. I mean, look, there's only so much you can do with the face. But I try.
Speaker 4: You lost some weight obviously, Well, yeah.
Speaker 5: I lost. It's probably been five years since I had my you know, a order incident, and after that I probably lost about thirty pounds right away, and then I lost about ten more and I've kept it off. And I mean, look, the reason I keep my weight off is because my blood pressure is the biggest thing. And I figured, I'm gonna eat what I want to eat. I just won't eat as much, and I'll exercise. I'll get out and walk more. And if I if I'm lighter, that should help my blood pressure. And that's that's that's my contribution to my blood pressure, keep my weight down.
Speaker 4: Very nice? Can I say this? Oversation?
Speaker 2: So he reached out to Tom and he says, I could do this if one thing, if he's not on grandpa duty.
Speaker 4: Grandpa, that tells you how old. So Tom, you got grandkids or a grandkid.
Speaker 5: I got two two of grand kids. Camila is my oldest Weston's daughter, and she's going to be five at the I guess technically she's going to be five February of twenty twenty eight because she's a leafling, so she was born on February twenty ninth. Oh, so she will celebrate her birthday this weekend. She is five. And then my son Walker and his wife Kai I his wife Elisa have a son named Kai and he's about ten.
Speaker 4: Months ten months old.
Speaker 5: So yes, I have a granddaughter and a grandson and they are the absolute best. I love those kids. They're awesome.
Speaker 4: Well, see, when you think about it, Tom's really not that much younger than us. I know he's not. I mean I was.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think they how old were you in nineteen eighty eight, twenty two, twenty three.
Speaker 4: Twenty two?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know. How about I say.
Speaker 4: Hold m now, you know, because then we've got to do math. Okay, hold are you now?
Speaker 5: I don't want to do math?
Speaker 4: How old are you now?
Speaker 5: That was not part of the questionnaire when I said reaching them on the show. So I'm fifty nine now, eighty eight was probably twenty.
Speaker 4: Two, twenty two. Probably, yes, Okay, she's fifty nine, he's only you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess I shouldn't be shocked that you've got grand kids because you're an old guy like us.
Speaker 4: But you're not a fat guy. You're just old guy.
Speaker 5: It's the best. It's the best in Grandpa.
Speaker 2: So you started an you venture, tell us about it, and how much fun are you going to have with this?
Speaker 5: Well? Yeah, I got let go from doing the radio after twenty eight years. The radio industry is just kind of you know, it's in a different place it is right now, and I figured, I'm I got to do something. I'm sitting around and I took about four months off and it's boring as hell. I wake up, I go for a walk. I take Lou out for a walk, you know, me and my little Boston Terrier, go for like three four miles four or five times a week, get home, maybe cook up something for dinner. And then it's like, well, I got two more hours until the first game starts, or maybe even three hours, and I'm like, now what I'm gonna do? Okay? I read a little bit, read for an hour, and then I'm still scratched together, like how do how do I put together more time? So I just know this. I love sports, I love talking, I love entertaining, and I just said, let's go ahead. This is not a venture where I look at and go, Okay, I need to I need to pay my mortgage with this, I need to buy groceries with this. I just want to have fun with it, and if I end up making money, that's cool. I'm doing it with two other guys that are really cool guys. One guy's my former program or my form producer, and the other one I met through him, and they're just young guys and they want to be a part of it. We're just gonna have fun, have guests on that bought stories and talk sports. So now I'm looking I'm absolutely looking forward to it. So it's we came up with a really cool name.
Speaker 4: I thought.
Speaker 5: It's called the Tom Tolbert Show. It's really original. It's like Bill's Liquor. It is. We tried to come up with something kind of clever where it's like, yeah, I'm tired to say it's hurt in my head.
Speaker 4: Let's go to.
Speaker 5: Yeah on YouTube, Spotify, iTunes. I guess as they say, wherever you.
Speaker 6: Get your podcast, and I always go where wherever you.
Speaker 5: Get your bottom tier podcast, that's where we're gonna That's where we're gonna be. So yeah, we're just going to have fun, tell some stories. I'm gonna be doing shows with the people that I did shows with at camb Are. We did Brent Jones, former night er tight End. This week We're try to get Steve Young, former night or quarterback. I'll get Steve Kerr on me and him or Buddy so I'll get him on, and just people that I know, people that I've run across throughout the course of I've doing radio for twenty eight years and being in sports my entire life, and we just, you know, I just want to have a good time to tell us some stories, talk about sports in twenty twenty five and kind of see where it goes.
Speaker 3: Know, is it going to be on a regular schedule or you just kind of record it and throw it out there on social media and stuff. What are you gonna what are you gonna do with that?
Speaker 5: We've been live. We've been live all this week and we've started at noon or noon noon fifteen. Now that may change because I told him the guys that I'm working with. I'm like, you know what, I'm gonna play golf on Mondays. Ago, I'm not. I'm not going to be beholden to a schedule. So we might do Mondays and Fridays a little later. Today we did from the backyard, which is really cool. We just sat in the backyard, me and my buddy Bill Martin, who were retired after thirty eight years of being the weatherman here in the Bay Area. He worked at KTVU Fox affiliate for thirty three years. We had him on the air. No, I can't even count how many times had him on the air when I was in KMBR and I just love Bill, And it wasn't about the weather. It was about the stories that he tells me and the camaraderie that we have together, in the chemistry and the fun that we have. So I'm like, let's have billover, We'll have some beers, and we'll do the show up in the backyard. So we did that. Come to find out, not everybody's into beers at noon on a Friday. We might move that one a little bit later into the evening, kind of do like a happy hour type of show, like after daylight saving time clicks in warmer here in the Bay Area. So yeah, I mean, the only thing I think we're going to try to do is three shows a week. I'm not sure exactly what time they're going to be, and it may end up being more, but I just thought three was a good number. We could do an hour and a half two hours a show and just talk sports, have some laughs, talk life a little bit, and see where it takes this. So I'm enjoying it. I mean it's a weekend, so it's hard to say, oh, this is great. I don't know what it's going to be like in the middle of baseball season, even though I love baseball and I can talk baseball and my hatred of the Dodgers should carry me for at least a half an hour.
Speaker 4: You need to stop. I got it. I mean, I've got a Dodger right now. Fell that's my paying time. Where's dog?
Speaker 6: I shouldn't have said that, No, no, no, I look, I was a Dodger fan until probably late seventies when they traded Garvey Lopes, saying Russell.
Speaker 5: What I go? You gotta be Kidney, You let the whole infield go. Like I love I love that team, and then I was like, you know what, I'm done. I'm done with these guys. So about nineteen eighty that's when I became an Angel fan because were easier to get to. We used to go to the Angel Stadium all the time and watch the one of the games.
Speaker 7: And they had a pretty good did a pretty good team, did.
Speaker 4: Nice run for a while.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Nolan Ryan and Hrew Burlison, de sense A Ford, Fred Lynn, Brian downing the Hulk, Like I those seems were great. Although I still there was a part of me that still stayed with the Dodgers through Fernando Mania because I love Fernando Hockey you not love Fernando. I mean, Fernando is incredible, So but I didn't really root for the Dodgers like I did when I was a kid in the seventies. And the reason I was a Dodger fan was they were on TV. Moore my grandfather, who was a baseball fan, was a Dodger fan, so he took me to a couple of Dodger games. But after that, I was like, you're gonna trade the Holy Infield. I'm gone. I think I forget where they all man. I think same place. I'm not sure if lost the Philly right away or maybe I don't know where he went, but all I know is they went with the Dodgers.
Speaker 6: And Rod Crewe was one of my favorite players growing up, so I love the fact that Rod Crewe was an Angel.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that's when I started following the Angels. And it's funny because Steve Kerr, who obviously everybody and tooths on those is a huge, massive Dodger, so he always tells me, he goes, hey, got her for the Dodgers. A lot of fun, and I just I can't tell you what I tell him because we're on radio. I could say it on YouTube, but I can't play it on radio. But I'm like, no, I'm not gonna roof for the damn Dodgers. They go, I go with tanis nice, they go with the I go what I wish the Angels had.
Speaker 4: Somebody like him?
Speaker 5: Oh wait, we did for six years and then we screwed it up. So now I'm an Angel fan. I'm gonna stick with him. They got their champion chipping O two against the Giants, and I will enjoy that and it'll probably be another twenty years before they it's very sad. So Tom only played free playoff games. Very sad.
Speaker 2: So time before we go into a couple of quick stories that we had in the book, which you tell him so well. I want to say I had Harvey, Harvey Mason about a week ago, Matt Othika after that, and we've had Kerr, and we've had Sean. I wanted to talk to you and I asked this about Harvey. You guys that eighty eight group, you know, the first born here, kind of get him in the final four. You've been successful, Harvey's been great, successful, Steve Kerr, Sean obviously does what he does. All you got Matt's an attorney here. How did you guys become all these great people successful people? I, you know what, I have no.
Speaker 5: Idea, and I would not include myself.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's just one of those things that Kenny, you know, sometimes sometimes randomness just happens, and guys end up on the same team. And we really enjoyed each other. It was a really, really fun, fun group, and I think Lout was probably a pretty astute judge of character, and when he brought people into his program, it wasn't just for their skills. I mean, yeah, we had Sean, we had Craig McMillan, who were there. Both McDonald's all Americans. They are great players. But you know I was you know, I was a Juco guy, and yeah, I was like the California I think me and Dean Carrott shared the California State Player of the Year. So you know, I was okay, but I wasn't like a five star, four star guy. Steve certainly wasn't a five star, four star guy. And he just brought people in. They like, you know what, these guys can fit into my program, and I think I like their character. He probably shortly found it didn't take him that long to find out that I miss Judge Shulbert h He probably thought I was correct on Steve. I might have screwed up on Tover, you know, Harvey and Judd anything, Kenny, But you look at this, You look at the diverse talent that we had on that team. Like I played seven years in the NBA, went on a new radio for twenty eight years. Steve played fifteen one I think it was five titles as a player and now four as a coach. Sean was an All Star and now he's broadcasting for the Spurs. Matt is a lawyer and he's done the PAC twelve network, so he's been an analysts as well. Kenny, who should be in the damn Hall of Fame in the baseball was an incredible baseball player, an incredible athlete. Sewn Brooks, who has since passed twelve years in the NBA, had a really, really nice career. Craig McMillan, who's been coaching up here at Santa Rosa JC for like twenty five years. And I asked him one time, I go, do you have any desire to coach, you know, D one or something? Because I think he could. He said, no, I'm happy here. He goes, I have a great life. He goes, I'm next next to my mom and dad and I'm coaching at home. So it's just it was a really cool group to be a part of, and the fact that we were the first team to kind of break through and be a national team, and I always think that's where the national brand started.
Speaker 4: There was no question eighty eight.
Speaker 5: It's just and I know, and I don't talk to all those guys as much as I should. I talked to Craig every once in a while John. Every once in a while, Steve I probably talked to I don't know, pretty much every other day we'll chat about the the Warriors. Since he's coaching, I'm calling the games for the Warriors. But it was just a really special time and a really special group. And you know, I think I could speak for all of them that week, and I didn't even mention Harvey, who was probably the biggest, I mean, the biggest celebrity of all of us. The dude's on the Grammy, for God's say, you know, the head of the Grammy. So Harvey is an incredible, incredible things musically. So I'm just proud to be a part of that group and be a part of the group that kind of started the tradition of Arizona basketball which they carry on today.
Speaker 2: Before before, I don't want to run out of time with you, but let me say I want to talk about a story there serendipity. Tom Tobert comes here for just serendipity. Could you tell the story that made the book about about the Vegas recruitment and you not being at home?
Speaker 5: Ah, so I got recrid. I what did you call? I went to Irvine first? You see Irvine I got a scholarship out of high school, and then I just it wasn't hitting at Irvine. I wasn't just hitting it off with coach Bill Mulligan, and I told him I was going to transfer to Thridos, my junior college next to the house, and I'm planning I'm playing football. That's what I wanted to do. I'd never played football high school because their practices were way too damn early. I was like, well, wait a minute.
Speaker 6: Our basketball practices started six thirty in the morning. Football starts at six thirty in the morning during the summer.
Speaker 5: I go, I can't. I got I just know way I.
Speaker 7: Could do that.
Speaker 5: I hate mornings. Anybody knows me knows I hate. I hate mornings. It's a supreme night out. I stay up till twelve thirty one one thirty every single night. So I wanted to play football. I want to be a tight end at Critos. So go to Sorito's play football for about a month, just located my hips and I went back to basketball, which I was going to do. I was gonna play basketball anyway. So anyway, I played basketball. We have a good season, and I got recruited by Vegas and I go, oh, that'd be great going to Vegas. I got a chance to go against Irvine. They're both in the PCAA I believe at the time, and my dad was totally for it. He was like, oh, that'd be great, or to Vegas, get a chance kick Irvine's ass. And I was like, oh, yeah, I love Vegas. My buddies love Vegas. I love Vegas, close the home, you guys go to the games.
Speaker 6: And then kind of as the season progressed, Arizona jumped into the prayer.
Speaker 5: And the more I.
Speaker 6: Thought about it, I got recruited by Arizona and I was gonna go to Vegas.
Speaker 5: I told him I was going. I told Tark, yeah, I'm going to I'm going. I'm committed. I'm going to Vegas. Not it wasn't like anything that was god binding, like, yeah, I'm going. So the more I thought about it and my recruiting trip was I want to say it was Craig Bergman, who's still one of my best friends today. We go golfing all the time. He lives here in the Bay Area, had a very successful career coaching football up here at Monta Vista, Hi. Bruce Frasier who's Steve's assistant coach and Steve and we all went out to uh think no, no, no, Steve wasn't there because Steve was her bayer. It's Piggar Millon, so it's Craig Craig, the Cloverdale brothers.
Speaker 9: And uh.
Speaker 5: And we went out and it was funny because we went out to the Green Dolphin and they were all having beers and everything, and I wasn't even having many beers, which is kind of funny, but I was just kind of sitting there and doing their like.
Speaker 4: This guy's a dud.
Speaker 5: He didn't want to have fun, to want to party. But I was so tired because I woke up early that morning. You know, I went to Lout's house at breakfast. You know, Bobby cooked I think pancakes or whatever. If I went over there and had breakfast, and I was just like beat by the end of the night. So they were like, and this guy's thing gonna come here?
Speaker 7: Is he?
Speaker 5: And I'm like, you know, I went back, call my go. Those guys are pretty cool. I like those guys. I like Arizona, I like Loot. I think we're have a really good team. And do I really want to go to Vegas. The answer was yes, but do I want to go to Vegas? I love Vegas. I love going to the casinos, I love hanging out. My buddies will be up every weekend. I goes that a great mix. Probably not so yeah. Toward the end of the cycle, like, Okay, I'm gonna go to Arizona. I just think that's the best place for me. I loved it there. So I had to call UH coach working team was the assistant coach and it was signing.
Speaker 4: Danny calls me and.
Speaker 5: He says, are you ready to sign? We're gonna come down, you know, fly down there sign you. And I go, well, you know, I've actually decided I'm going to go to Arizona. Needless to say, he wasn't happy. Well, he was not super pumped to hear hear that news. So towards the end of the conversation, he said, well, I think you owe to Tark to tell him UH that you're not going. Okay, that's fine. He goes, go call you around five o'clock. I go, okay, I should be here. My brother, who's ten years younger than me, Jeffrey, had a little league game that day that I wanted to go to and see.
Speaker 4: So I'm at home.
Speaker 5: Waiting for the phone call. Five o'clock comes now, five oh five, five ten, five point fifteen. I go, well, maybe he just said screw it, he's not gonna call me. So I get in the car, strugg over to the Little League field to watch Jeffrey play. I come home and I pull up and I get out of the car, walk to the front door my next door.
Speaker 4: They were lyle.
Speaker 5: He said, hey, Tommy, he goes, he goes. Were you expecting somebody? I go, no, he goes, Well, he goes. Somebody pulled up in a black town car and got out and knocked on the door and then knocked on the window, looked in the window, knocked on the door again, knocked on the window, and then got in the car and left. And I said, holy crap, I go tarks. He must have flown down here. Oh man, I go, I'm so glad I wasn't home.
Speaker 6: Because I don't know if I could have. I don't know if I could have told him face to face that I.
Speaker 5: Wasn't going to go to Vegas and I was going to going to going to Arizona. And I was like I'm glad I was at home because that would It's funny because Vegas went to the final four that year, my junior year, and then we went to the final four the following year. We both end up losing. We didn't win the national championship. But I thought, man, if you would have been here, I would have been going to I would have been going to Vegas because I probably couldn't have told him face to fade. And the funny part was, and Matt Othik transferred from to Mexico, everybody thought he's going to Vegas because he's from Vegas. Goes to Arizona and that's where the midnight Lout thing started with U with uh. And then not only did the midnight Lout thing start because Tark accused Lute of coming in at the last minute and stealing players that were committed to Vegas. And Bob Baffert had a horse, he's a famous trainer from Tucson went to Arizona called Midnight Loot, which of course that sad on. I don't think I won, but it was a great was like, oh man, we got a horse name Midnight Loot, too.
Speaker 10: Incredible.
Speaker 5: That was the story.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was the story of kind of how I got to got to Arizona and almost narrowly.
Speaker 5: Missed going to Vegas.
Speaker 7: That's all.
Speaker 4: I've never heard that.
Speaker 5: The Yeah, I met my wife Laurie at Arizona and still have some great friends from Arizona, and you know, who knows. I might have had a great time in Vegas, but I can't imagine having a better time than I did at Arizona. The fan support was absolutely incredible going into McHale sold out thirteen thousand plus. Every single home game was awesome. And the friends that I was able to make and the teammates that I had at Arizona was just it was absolutely the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, Tom, thanks a bunch. We got to take the break. We're just kind of singing, we got the break.
Speaker 4: Gotta go, Tom.
Speaker 5: Kind of I kind of know how radio goes. The great thing about YouTube and you just go as long as you want, you don't care about that.
Speaker 4: And you get to cut.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have the I actually had to center myself a couple of times while I was talking to you. I'm kind of going back and forth between YouTube mode and radio mode, and I'm like, okay, hold on a second path.
Speaker 2: No worries say that on radio, No worries. I had the finger on the button here just in days. He I bet you did as always. Man, Thanks a bunch, Be well, stay healthy. We'll I talk to you at some point some down the road.
Speaker 5: Yeah, anytime, guys. I appreciate you calling and thankful lot.
Speaker 2: I appreciate Tom Tobert appreciated that. Not one of the great guys appreciate it. We got to take the break right right now and come back. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Luton is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one you mail media Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot.
Speaker 11: Compy Wilcat Nation, Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team over at Arizona Health Insiders, I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no copays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Insiders four A doh three five five one four four four four a h three five five one four four four.
Speaker 8: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial aid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu. Slash Someday, Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you.
Speaker 2: Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 4: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 5: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 12: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 11: Leading edge and exercise equipment second just west of Wilmot, Tucson.
Speaker 9: It's time for the Colo Guard Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the ninth at La Poloma Country Club and the Western La Poloma Resort and SPA. Come see some of golf's greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson Conquisodor's Helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship Golf at its finest. Don't forget to join us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Ice and Coet Sol live in concert at Riedo Park. The Coli Guard Classic by Exact Sciences benefiting colorectal cancer awareness in Tucson Youth sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo Guard Classic dot com. This that is brought to you by fallbamb Crowley Investment Group at OURBC Wealth Management.
Speaker 13: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more, Lis pieas need more money in your pocket, Liz Hassel means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Permid's a lessons More Philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two Sound Spectrum Permid Federal Credit Union, where less is more federally insured and I n c U A an equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ramiro on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio just search Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my I'm about here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera in today is my Friday?
Speaker 10: Guy?
Speaker 4: You got some girls cut cookies over there?
Speaker 10: What you got?
Speaker 2: I got some Steve camp Oh you said, all right, I think of every monster these are, yeah, new caramel.
Speaker 4: Okay, I guess I'm a dove cy dope kind of guy in the peanut butter cookie. Oh yeah, I have. I like I've run through a whole bunch of those this year. So you doctor know this? Yeah? Hey, and that got s called. Hey, guy, I was at the doctor a couple of weeks ago. I got told I.
Speaker 2: Was gonna say, you probably didn't really well, and this is okay, good you could, you know, continue to do what you're doing.
Speaker 4: Hell that.
Speaker 2: You do come in a bad time because everybody says, oh I was doing so well with their New Years.
Speaker 4: We got a call. Let's take the call.
Speaker 7: Hey, hey, j hey, Steve.
Speaker 4: Of course it sounds like I'm a little wired.
Speaker 5: How many you have three points?
Speaker 10: Really quick to get out of your way to the first one is, oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my son's that's why I have to drink. Oh, and then your show started with Jay coming. So these are two points. And the gremlins were taking over your right.
Speaker 4: We know that right showed up. Yeah, and the other one.
Speaker 5: I wanted this answer all the time, but the great guest of Tom you know, answered the.
Speaker 10: Question about the story of Midnight Lute. And I guess Tom pretty much covered it because that that's the only thing I didn't know, the nuts.
Speaker 5: And bolts of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had not heard that the park going to his house. Yeah, yeah, that was part of this story.
Speaker 2: And then there was the thing, you know, Tom has these stories because he was, you know, loot gun on his all the time, pretty defense, running back.
Speaker 4: And five, you know all that stuff. So that was great.
Speaker 10: I like that, and I liked because you know me. But I've got a good record going, Steve.
Speaker 5: I haven't flopped. But that's why when we get off quick, so.
Speaker 10: I don't drop it up.
Speaker 4: Did you, in fact let me ask you, let me ask you something. You gave us some gifts?
Speaker 2: I think you've got some two from from Howard maybe our first year with the cards, right with the cards? Did you did you give us former U eight cards, player cards.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I gave you, of course, I gave you and Jason you of a cards, and I got a bunch. I got so much more. I think.
Speaker 4: That mix somewhere. Yeah, maybe there was so much more.
Speaker 10: I would say. Colbert's the great character of everybody.
Speaker 4: We don't have to go the far coward. We got another call? We got another call?
Speaker 5: All right, well, thank you guys.
Speaker 4: Have you got another call? You're on the air and nine on the ball. Who's this?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 4: You're on You're on the air. Lis, You're on the air, Andine on the wall. There there we go. Hi, you're on the air. Who's this?
Speaker 7: Hello?
Speaker 10: Brian?
Speaker 4: Have you got any haircut?
Speaker 9: Ye?
Speaker 7: Let's go Hell No, Hey, I'm retired. I don't have to do that anymore.
Speaker 4: He's Steve. He came by. He's a hippie, is he? Brian's a hippie? Where'd he go? Where do you see him? He came up at the basketball game? Okay the other night? What's up, Brian?
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game. I have no idea what to expect.
Speaker 4: Do we see those line? Did you check the line? It was four and a half? Yeah, okay, you take.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm not as rich as Jay to throw my money away because I'm retired, you know, but you know what, you got.
Speaker 4: A post office retirement. You got money. So don't ever tell us that you don't.
Speaker 7: I mean not have it soon?
Speaker 4: Who knows have it soon?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: No, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I mean, if if they played like they did Tuesday night, they were going to lose by more than four. But if they played like they did against BYU, and I thought they played well except some of the defensive lapses, they got a shot at beating Iowa State. I mean, this team is fifteen to fifty every time they go on the court.
Speaker 2: Right, let me ask you that, because you say that, did you like let's go? Let's go from November the start to about December fifteenth? Did you like this team? And do you like I'm sure you like it now that but did you like that team? And were you had concerns? And now how much do you like it now?
Speaker 7: We all had concerns and we saw what was happening.
Speaker 1: You know, I like it.
Speaker 7: I like it now. Back then I wasn't too sure what we had, but at least I know this team may not be as talented as some of these teams, but they play hard and that's about really all you can ask. This is a this is a tough conference. There aren't any gimmes in this conference every night like we had in the pack. I mean, you go to you go to a game at Michale, You're going to go, oh my god. You know, we got to play well to win this game.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 7: It's not like it was before. But that's the same with every team in the conference, right, you know, And I think I think Tommy Lloyd's done a good job of getting them prepared physically for this. The metal part, I'm not too sure about that. I can't put that on Tommy Lloyd because he can't be standing out there watching him play and telling him.
Speaker 5: What to do all the time.
Speaker 2: Right, let me teuch to you guys, because you guys are old, grizzled guys, don't you think, Jay? And maybe you won't agree with us, but this is probably the hardest working team I've seen a long time. Yes, yes it is before Sean, you know what I'm saying that.
Speaker 3: We've said that, We've said that after the non conference I feel like they've played tooferent seasons, but it was.
Speaker 4: A non conference season.
Speaker 3: Alsoden, they get they get into a conference season, they're playing all these physical games and they're all good and they're hard and they're winning. And I feel like, yes, that that that this team is doing exactly that. You know, they just they work hard. They work hard on defense, and they now do they do some dumb thing lazy passes now and then and those kinds of things. Yes, But you know, as as Tommy has said a number of times, if the good far outweighs the bad, he's okay with some of the bad because you can't be perfect all the time. And that's how I see this team is that they they bust their asses out there. I really feel like they do. And Caleb Love was a perfect example of that on on on Wednesday Night, you know, guarding Madson and just wasn't letting the guy.
Speaker 4: Breathe and you just you just didn't see the stud you know scoring. You know, guard also be the lockdown defensive guy.
Speaker 7: Now, right, Like, I mean, that's probably the one thing I think has been the biggest change is you know, Caleb blub last year was the shooter. You know, he's still a shooter. But this year he plays a lot of defense, and that's you know, to me, that's one of the keys to his team is his defense, because they seemed to put him on the toughest guy of the guards.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he does a great He does a great job every time he goes out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, when kJ comes in, he gets that assignment. But when kJ and Caleb are not on the floor together, Caleb is the is the defender that that's doing that, and he's doing a good job of it. He's getting he's getting a bunch of steels and he gets It's like he knows if I get a steal, I get a dunk.
Speaker 4: Too, and he loves doing that.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I hope hopefully to my marldall learn not to make the lazy passes because that just I mean, there's you know, things happen right a very important part of the game, and we start having moment, then all of a sudden, we make a lazy pass. They get an easy.
Speaker 5: Basket, and then we don't get anything and they get another basket. Then all of a sudden, the game is close again. Yeah, they just have to I don't concentrate more when they're playing.
Speaker 4: I don't know but again, you're in the league. You're in the league where the teams are better, and they're going to make runs.
Speaker 7: At you every team, right, and I understand that, but still, you know, focus, but these players, yes, have to understand that it's a forty minute game, not a twenty nine and a half minute game. And you've got to keep your mental sharpness.
Speaker 4: The whole game.
Speaker 5: You just can't sit there and say, all got to make.
Speaker 7: This lazy pass. And you can see it coming a mile away too. It's not like it's a shock that happened, but you can see when they passed the ball, they're not Chris passes or sometimes they're not there.
Speaker 2: So Brian, let me ask you, because you probably expected the Big Trove to be what the Big Trove is, but did they kind of exceed the expectations of the league? I meantime, not just Arizona, but I'm taking the league. You know, you can Okay, it's.
Speaker 5: Got a bit of basketball, but only to the fact we didn't see it very much.
Speaker 4: You didn't know anything.
Speaker 7: Because because we're because we're watching the pack, you know, and but watching the Big twelve, I'm going it's not you know, even the crappy teams, play tough defense and played physical.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, No gimmes, thea aren't horrible. Oklahoma State beat the heck coups I State the other night. Yeah, I mean, I just don't know which is gonna make the tournament.
Speaker 5: Iowa State lost there, didn't have their two leading scores.
Speaker 7: I don't know if they're going to be there tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Now it's still hurt. Oh good you selfish, selfish man, selfish, no one your friends, that's exactly what are your friends with?
Speaker 5: J That's exactly right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well Jay talking a lot when.
Speaker 2: It makes sense. Now it's all coming clear. Thanks Brian, Thanks for the have a good weekend, enjoy the game tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Okay, you too.
Speaker 2: We'll see what happens. Yeah, we only got about a minute, right, you gotta go. Thanks Jay for coming in.
Speaker 4: For an hour. Yeah, Allie out on there for a little while. But we spent a lot of time with Tobert. That was fun that.
Speaker 3: It's good to talk to Tom, you know, just one of the again, another one of those good guys who were just fun to fun to report on, fun to be around, fun to hang with, always fun to see him.
Speaker 4: On the road.
Speaker 2: He was he was good to his YouTube, he looks he looks very good his then, Yeah, I didn't realize how serious the situation was.
Speaker 4: But it's been five years.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, it's yeah. I read a thing you had heart served him. Okay, all right man, hey, thanks for having again. Well tomorrow, No, we will see tomorrow. We'll see Tuesday, Tuesday at the game. Thank you. Henry is always I'm good.
Speaker 4: Awaken everybody,