Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to I on the Ball Hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Sorry for being a little late to little delay. You know, all the systems are this week. But we're here.
Speaker 2: We are here.
Speaker 1: We got our guy. I'm Steve, You're Jay. We got a guy Juan. We got the kids in the house, Henry and Matthew. Now we got Matthew maybe gonna join us. I hope he does.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, we were off to a bad start with him. I think we got to text people.
Speaker 1: You're ready to go cool. Hey, maybe if Arizona doesn't start this way, they might have a chance.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm glad you brought that up, because you know, when when these games come up like this, and I think back to all the way back to what state when Arizona went to Wisconsin John Macvic's for second year. I guess it was from road trip to Wisconsin. We all, you know, we put a bunch of money up to go to the game. You know, UH love to and you know, being able to go. And I just remember as literally we're sitting on the plane on the tarmac at Tuson International Airport and I said to my buddy Dale, who was with me, they said, you know what, all I want is to not be down twenty one to nothing in the first quarter. That's all. And they were down twenty one to nothing in the first quarter, so death, yeah, and that's all tonight. With all this the anticipation of this game, all I want is for Arizona to not be getting killed in the first quarter and kill the buzz for this game. That really. I mean, if they win the game, great, if they don't, but there it's a good game. I'm fine with that. Don't be down fourteen to nothing, seventeen to nothing early, right, right, be in the game from the get go.
Speaker 1: You you probably Mississippi State last year? Was that the case? They know, all those turnovers, they had to fight back and they had a chance. But earlier you're thinking, what the hell's going on? You just think it's the SEC so right, right, so you just got to stay and they stayed close in the second half obviously, But no, you you're you're right. You think we talked about this. This is the booster don't know if you know this, this is a booster trip?
Speaker 2: Oh is it? Okay?
Speaker 1: This is the first taste of the Big twelve?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Show how it's gonna because it's gonna be sold down. It's gonna be crazy. As long as they don't get intimidated. I don't think they will. Now, it's just playing healthy, right, if they can play healthy, right.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so that's you know, I just wanted to not not not kill the buzz for this game early. That's it. You know, be a close game early, don't you know. Don't look like you're gonna get run out of the you know, run out of the out of the stadium and uh and make it a good game. And that'll make me very happy.
Speaker 1: Mister goody two shoes. I think you guys do your picks on the website. Yep, what did you do? I had Arizona thirty one, Kansas State seventeen. I knew it. I knew it. Mister happy hands over here picking them to win? Why why did you say that?
Speaker 3: I think the defense is gonna have a good game. Avery Johnson doesn't do well under pressure, so I think the way our defense is designed, we're gonna have a good game.
Speaker 2: On defense, I'm not going to go well. I think people have misconstrued the defense because of how I played in the first half of New Mexico. Since then, it's been a pretty good defense. They played well in the second half, and they played well through the entire NAU game. I mean if if at the beginning of the game, if you had asked me, are you okay with NAU scoring ten points and that's how that's what they score, I would have said, yeah, because Arizone will win that game. So they go. They got ten points. It just didn't look as good because there because it was a close game into the second half. So yeah, I think the defense can be you know, can can step up and play well. The question is can they protect nor Forfeta. That's going to be the thing, and I think we'll find that out pretty early. You know, can they block? Can they run the ball a little bit? What's the offensive line going to look like? You know in this game?
Speaker 1: I think definitely that's the number one priority going in. What has to happen right for them? Noah, two in the game, and that's tied to number one, right, Uh? Three defense or maybe two defense three team Mac because they're not tied together. What's four?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Like what you know, Steve, you know the Dick Tony the kicking game. They got the special teams. They've got to you know, they've got to make their field goals. They can't you know, have a punt block they you know, uh, they got to win the SPA because field position when two teams are very evenly matched, like I think these two teams are a lot of times, it comes down to that, you know, who make who doesn't miss a field goal? Uh? You know who who's dropping punts inside the ten yard line? Uh? You know that kind of stuff. So, but you know, there's a there's so many things that we need to find out about this Arizona team. We could we could run a list of twenty different things that are going to matter tonight.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you, two games in, not as a good sample size, what do we know about the football team right now? You can say nothing.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 2: I think we know they're talented, all right. I think we know they're thin on the offensive line, regardless of how it looked last week. I think we know no if of Feed is a good quarterback and T and he's got a great target and t Mac. You know, the question is because of the offensive line, how effective can those two guys be with the offensive line that they have. I think we know the defense is pretty good, don't you. Don't you?
Speaker 1: One?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they were the spark in the NAU game. They held in Mexico to seven points I think, fourteen points in.
Speaker 2: The second half. No points in the second half, Yeah, they were. Arizona was down.
Speaker 1: They're up to thirteen ten or whatever it was. It was thirteen, it was. It was really close. And then they had the fourth and one. Arizona was down ten six at the half. Weren't they something like that ten to seven? Yeah, Henry's giving the nods, so yes, yeah, all right, Henry.
Speaker 2: Matthew, you got to help us out here too. I'm just watching. I'm just here to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're pretty confident. I mean, that's a big spread if it was like twenty three twenty okay.
Speaker 3: Just because I think our defense is going to play so well. I think the talent we have an offense is gonna more like widen the gap towards the end of the game.
Speaker 1: That's why I have it so spread out. By the way, we're gonna have John Kaiser in about ten minutes, a former U of A player I saw him a couple of days ago, asked him to come on. He brought some perspective in terms of they haven't done anything yet. Purposely they're trying to get the guys healthy on the front, right, not showing him much offensively. He would know he plays, right, so I'm sure they did at a time or two when he played. I mean, we'll talk to him more about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd love to. I'd love to get his his You know, we always love getting thoughts of somebody who's played, because you and I never did. We just kind of sucked all the way through high school and stuff.
Speaker 1: You got a mouse.
Speaker 2: We we sect at football, you know, I I you know, I want to talk to him about things like, you know, first game jitters because this is their second, but this is their third game, but it's our first. And again it's not a conference game, but it's a it's a big twelve.
Speaker 1: Let's remember it's a highlight game of the day because no one else is playing. Yeah, it's the people. What do you want to do, Well, just watch the game. Who's playing Arizona Kansastate.
Speaker 2: Let's go, let's go ask some wings and watch a game. Right Yeah, yeah, so yeah, I really want to get his perspective. And then with this news that came up about the PAC twelve yesterday. We're going to have John Wilder on in the second hour and and get into some of his thoughts as to what the hell is going on and how long is this going to go on? Right?
Speaker 1: Right? The resurgence or whatever word you want to use for the PAC.
Speaker 2: Twelve rebirth, I guess you could call it. They added four teams yesterday, so they're up to six and certainly more on the way because they got to get to eight and probably want to get to ten or twelve.
Speaker 1: It's who, it's who. It's who, not not if or when it's who.
Speaker 2: It's the who, it's the who. Right, So we'll we'll talk to John about about all that today. But it's game days. I wore my color. Look, I got both my colors going, Steve, I got my Dodger colors going good?
Speaker 1: Do you think you played good?
Speaker 2: I'm looking good to play good today. I keep oning to call you, Henry. It's like one. I mean, the red and the blue goes together, don't you think, wait, Dodger blue. Yeah, not so much. I mean not like navy blue.
Speaker 1: But now he's just trying to convince you.
Speaker 2: I don't think, so okay, that's you know what, I don't really care what you think.
Speaker 1: You didn't give him the answer you wanted him. Hell with you first time? Okay? You no big day obviously a big a big night because of the Big not the Big twelve.
Speaker 2: But I'm excited for this game, Yeah, I really am. I got up today and it didn't feel like a game day because it's Friday. But you know, pretty long, I thought, wait a minute, we've got we've got a game today, which is gonna be fine.
Speaker 1: What you guys don't want to do you Arizona Fence is feel a hangover tomorrow saying God, I got up for that and this is what happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it. That's what I'm saying. You know, I just don't want it to be a crappy game where they get behind big early and are never kind of in it. You know, I just want this to be a game that keeps our interest in. If they lose twenty eight to twenty four, okay, you know, but if they lose thirty one to ten, that's not okay. Now. Now I think we've got issues, yeah, you know, to talk about and remember too.
Speaker 1: If they get beat thirty one to ten, whatever, don't have a good showing, they have a week off. It's kind of like, okay, where do we go from this? And then they go to Utah and if they have another kind of a tough game, they come back home and what's the what's the fan fan band?
Speaker 2: Our fans are gota?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Can I say that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I just did I have the button? Leave? Just leave it there. That's right, it's my last day here. Did that just took it? No?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean I just don't want it to be I just want to be a huge downer today.
Speaker 1: I think I think that's the general base feeling from the whole fans. John will give us some perspective with that, because you know, he's a level hilled guy. He he knows they're gonna be good days. Yeah, and they'd be bad day, bad, but if they're gonna win nine or eight, this has to be a good day. This is one of those key games, right that we talked about this week and two weeks.
Speaker 2: These two games they need they need they need to get one, yeah, nine to win nine and they can still win eight. But if they lose both of them, but you know, to get nine Uh, this is one that they got to hit one of these days. And honestly, you'd prefer that they win the Utah game than this one because it's the conference game, right if they if they were to lose today but come back and beat Utah, I'm good. I'm totally good with that. I know by you guys, well, you don't care, Steve, what about you one?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's not impossible anymore. At the beginning of the season, I thought, oh, you probably gonna be our toughest game. But rise, it might not be bad. I saw something that said six to eight weeks haveuse.
Speaker 1: I asked you how difficult it's been for you to be in the press box?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and real difficult. I'm glad that it's away game today. You could be be right there at home with my family.
Speaker 1: Huh. Having a little fandom with you inside you, Yeah, for sure. I'm sure you usedtill have a little fandom in the press box, but you have to hold it back. I hold it back. I'm pretty good at it. That's the rest of your life, dude.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, I did cheer in the press box one time when when Kirk Gibson homeward against it against the Oakland A's because I had to add a little TV on right there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I lost my mind.
Speaker 2: No, I was I was young.
Speaker 1: No, you did it, but that was not that was.
Speaker 2: The game, but I and it was one of those little two inch TVs. And all of a sudden, everybody in the press box is crowded around at watching the replay and stuff. Pretty funny that you're gonna say, I did it in the Dodgers and I'm not gonna lie. Uh. Jetfish's second year. They're playing Washington at Washington and we had to be in a wedding down in Magdalena in Mexico. We were at a at a at a friend of ours wedding during the game and I had the phone on watching the game during the ceremony.
Speaker 1: Who here doesn't believe that these two should be married? Shoot, well, you have to say, Jay, they scored.
Speaker 2: I had the game one.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's take a break here, let's get out of here. We're here, we're alive, We're good so far. We're gonna get ahold of mister Kaiser John Er talk about football, all right, We'll be right back.
Speaker 5: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to her Plane is your promotional products for your companies giveaways keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 6: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpe is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, That's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six one eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A BKO Ninez two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity Got to commitment to lyndrixon credit greates and available loan programs of SUBFT to change the unumice.
Speaker 7: Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantles SO for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookies SO for fiveo point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's Showtime Cards.
Speaker 8: Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and.
Speaker 1: You could win big. Watch your savings grow.
Speaker 8: To help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to.
Speaker 9: Get started today. That Really Insured and CUA got bugs, termites, bees or rodents? Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete.
Speaker 10: Desert pest management specialist that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Past Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you? He told me about his you Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Armni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, call Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 11: Steve Rivera and Jake and Salez they have their eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Stage jat Fox Sports fourteen fifty streaming live IM the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Wapp Hey, welcome back to my Iying the ball here at Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera's Jaginsaws. Now on the phone, we have John Tyser. John, we'll hopeing you're gonna be the voice of reason for us.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, I'll do my best for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, cool.
Speaker 2: John, John, This is Jay. How how fired up do you get for these games here at the start of the season and uh, you know, a whole new season.
Speaker 1: Now and then and stuff now is now was a fan and and then as a player?
Speaker 13: Oh boy, it's uh then was a long time ago. I can barely remember that far back. No, But seriously, you know, back then, we all got to saying, you know, respect all and fear none.
Speaker 14: So you came into every game thinking.
Speaker 13: You're gonna win and playing your best and and hopefully that works out that way, but sometimes just doesn't happen that way.
Speaker 4: Were you guys?
Speaker 14: Go ahead?
Speaker 13: Fan, I go, I go in the games, thinking we're gonna win and we're gonna dominate hopefully.
Speaker 2: Were you uh going And we might have asked you this before, but refreshed my memory. Were you somebody who would getting nervous and I mean like nervous, nervous before games and like we see those guys that go throw up and all that kind of stuff. How nervous did you get before games? And when did that wear off?
Speaker 13: You know what, I don't think I was ever nervous before games. I was more excited and ready for games. I mean, I've played a pretty good quarterback named Jim Kelly, and Jim threw up before every game, so tach their own, but overall, it's just more excited. The bigger the game, the more you know you're feeling inside. But it's more excitement than nerves. For me, it was just ready to go. Let's let's play now.
Speaker 1: So you and I ran into each other a couple of days ago, and and you were telling me just kind of maybe being realistic about the offensive line. Tell the listeners your thoughts on what has happened to this point.
Speaker 14: I just think we've been a.
Speaker 13: Little uttle not showing everything being ready because It's two games you should have won easily, you know, kind of did you know the second perspecially the second hand haven't played a little bit better. I mean offensively, we're missing some offensive lineman, so you know, getting Baker back will be a huge help for us today. And uh, I just think we're just kind of not showing a lot of things. I've known deal coach Tino Babers for a lot of years and very very good offensive coordinator, aggressive, gets after and I think we're gonna see a little bit more that tonight.
Speaker 2: When you're when you're on you're a defensive player, you do you recognize when the team's got a really good offensive line and when they don't, and and what what makes a really good offensive line?
Speaker 13: You know, yeah, absolutely, you watch enough. You know, as a player, you watch a lot of film and see things and you can tell when this when they're clicking and moving and talking and you know, a good offense line us he starts from the center by you know, the center usually reads everything what the defense is doing, and you know, checking off the just certain blocks and what's going on on the field, and and you know we didn't have that last week. But overall, good offense line.
Speaker 14: You can just tell the clicking.
Speaker 13: They're just coming off the ball low and attacking you and get to kick your pads lower than them. So it's just they're aggressive, gets.
Speaker 1: Half to you. So what don't you want to see tonight? What's the what's the thing you do not want to see? Letus lose?
Speaker 13: Yeah? Well look, yeah, now, I just don't want to see us get off.
Speaker 14: To the full start. I think we got you know, they run.
Speaker 2: The ball really well.
Speaker 13: Johnson's another quarterback that gets outside the pocket.
Speaker 14: We didn't do a very.
Speaker 13: Good job of that against Too Mex because we saw we got.
Speaker 14: So I like to I don't want to just lose entertainment against.
Speaker 13: The quarterback in the pocket and and and get after it early in the game to stop the run.
Speaker 2: Well, was was there anything you saw last week that that made you be concerned a little bit? Or did was it just like you said, you just felt that they weren't showing anything? I mean, were you worried about anything after the game yet last week?
Speaker 13: Well, you know, we didn't pass protect very well, and uh, I don't think we were as aggressive as we normally would be. So I think part of it was not showing things. Part of it was some injuries or you know, I think those guys could have played if it was a big game, but let's get him ready for this week.
Speaker 1: It's a bigger game.
Speaker 13: So you know, I just wanted to be more aggressive getting coming out of the gates and get after it.
Speaker 1: So I know you're a fan, and we had Jake Fisher on yesterday and he's like the mega fan. You know they're never gonna lose, blah blah blah. Are you that extreme? One? And and and realistically, when you look at the schedule, because everybody does it, what did you think they'd win this year? How many games?
Speaker 13: I was? I was? I was, uh, eight as it always and nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so we're we're in the same ballpark. Realistically, we're in the same ballpark, and we're thinking these next two games because on paper, the next two games look like the two to be the two toughests. So if they maybe sweep, for sure they'll get that. But if they split, uh they maybe still get that.
Speaker 13: Oh absolutely, But you know, I don't I never think about losing, but it does happen. One of the two games, it happens. I mean, you tak the conference game, which is and.
Speaker 14: This is kind of where this.
Speaker 1: Is not a conference game.
Speaker 13: Right, unusual. But I mean I'd rather lose the non conference game than the conference game, realistically, but I don't want to lose. You you know, I never thought I was gonna lose a game wherever I played. So I'm so these guys are thinking the same way. We're not gonna lose, We're gonna win every game, as they should think that way.
Speaker 2: We like to ask this of guys who who've played, how do you watch a game? Are you are you watching the guys in the position that you played, or you just watch, you know, paying real close to the defense, or you just watch as a fan and just want to see touchdowns and things like that. Do you analyze the game as you go through it?
Speaker 14: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 13: I watched as a fan, of course, because I am a huge fan, as you know, I always will be at always have done since I've been there. But I do I look for tendencies in the offense and defenses. I you know, see what they're trying to do, and especially as the defensive player, I watched the other team's offense to pick up what they're doing. And how they're doing things. And sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong, but I really can't kind of follow the game that way too, so I do both ways to be honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you how excited are you to start this year in a new conference?
Speaker 13: You know it's weird, isn't it. I mean I was writing, you know, I was rooting for every Pac twelve team except to school up North of course, Uh, the last couple of weeks because if that's that's my habit of doing. Uh, some got It's something new and I got to get used to it. I'm excited about the new conference, but I'm really sad about how it happened, and.
Speaker 14: I wish the back well well, but can't change that.
Speaker 13: Right, and and uh, we're moving forward, and it's gonna be a lot of fun to It's gonna be a lot more I think it's gonna be a lot more college atmosphere than.
Speaker 14: We're used to seeing with the Midwest fans and Southern fan where it's every stadium is.
Speaker 13: Packed and loud and crazy. And as a player, I love that, So it should be excited to these guys. The full the full stadiums like Oregon, Washington, like they were and being that atmosphere every weekend hopefully, So.
Speaker 2: How well if you had a chance to get I guess I don't know how well have you gotten to nor him or have you had a chance to get to know him? Either way, Brent Brennan, what do you know about him? What are your impressions of him so far?
Speaker 13: I've gotten no Coach Brennan quite well. I like him a lot.
Speaker 14: He's he's he's a good.
Speaker 13: Guy that cares about the Arizona, cares about the program. I think he's a hell of a coach. I mean, when you can win at San Jose State, you pretty much win anywhere, can't you. I mean that's that's a tough place to recruit and get players to go. And I like him a lot.
Speaker 14: I think we're gonna see a lot more things coming from and he looks like he's a recruiting.
Speaker 13: Well for next year. And he brought in some you know, he got late here last year, so he did a great job getting the transfer portal going and some other guys going.
Speaker 14: So you know he's gonna be keeping Teamack.
Speaker 13: And the other guys here.
Speaker 1: He's done a.
Speaker 14: Great job, I think.
Speaker 13: And people are a little bit. You know, people get a little crazy early on. But give the man a chance. He's a great guy that think, a great coach, and she's gonna be a winner.
Speaker 1: Here we're talking about John Kaiser, former you of a football player back in the day. I want to ask you, do you get with a group of people like I said, we talked to Jake? Jake needs to be left alone because he goes kind of crazy when things go bad.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I watch all I mean, besides, I go to all the home games, of course, but when we're on the road, I got to watch it at home by myself with one.
Speaker 1: Of my brothers.
Speaker 13: I can't go to a bar and watch. I can't code it. I don't want to hear all.
Speaker 14: These stupid idiot.
Speaker 1: Comics really out there. We didn't know that.
Speaker 14: Maybe I'm one of them.
Speaker 13: I not.
Speaker 14: Even the NFL games.
Speaker 13: I just can't. I like to watch them at home and watch the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you when you when people talk about Arizona And I'll say, when people talk bad about Arizona and they're upset about they didn't win by enough or they lost and they suck, and do you take it personally because you wore the uniform and I mean, like very defensively and uh, you know, is it personal with you? You know, even after all this time and we're talking forty years since you play the Arizona, you know, how do you how do you take that and that? How do you not? I don't know, because I know there's times I want to punt somebody out. I mean, do you ever do want to do that?
Speaker 13: Did you have to do? You have to help people some forty years? Sorry, that's that's reality, you know what I just think with saying, you know, I just don't listen to them that they don't know what they're talking about. Hey, there's been years with unfortunate with someone and maccause they're right, Sunset. I think most of the time, most most of.
Speaker 14: The years we were competitive, play hard.
Speaker 13: We don't always have the greatest talent, but with kids, play hard. And that's the bottom line. I mean, if you're playing hard, having fun, you give yourself a chance of winning games. And the fans they're not true fans, that's true. Playing all the time, right.
Speaker 14: They're not true fans. They're not complain Like you said, we.
Speaker 13: Beat that in you twenty two to whatever is to ten and that's not enough, Like, you know, win to win, so you want to win college football game?
Speaker 1: Well that said okay, So I I went as a kind of fan. I want to watch. I didn't cover the game for Saturday, and the first thing I heard walking out just by myself, I heard, Oh, we're affing in trouble, some fans were saying. And I'm thinking, there's the fan base, right, So so what do you hear when you're on the streets, because I'm sure people know you played.
Speaker 13: Yeah, people just said, oh, but it was a bad performance. Go yeah. But I don't think what we talked about the other day, I don't think we've showed everything. We're kind of Vanella. Why should we show everything before Kansas State? The first two games are easily winnable games. I think we're gonna be more aggressive offensively, defensively, we're gonna get after it. We've got great dvs, a stud linebackers, a new d line. I think it's we're coach coach a Keena's having them being more aggressive like the Desert Swarm days. So I think these things are are in front of us. And offensively too, we haven't you know, we use team matches we needed to use them gets the next so, but we kind of didn't do as much where and we had injuries up front and the old lines. I think we're fine, and they just were just relaxed two.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly, We're all right, No jays, they'll listen to John rather.
Speaker 2: Than you because he's a big dude. I know, I've seen I've seen John. So I wanted to jog your memory a little bit, you know, going back to you know, your your couple of years that you you were at Arizona eighty two, eighty three, that eighty three team, you know, going into the year, a lot of expectations, you know, I think it was Sports Illustrated, had you guys ranked pretty high. You know, this team's got, you know, expectations as a player. How do you manage that? How did you manage all of that?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: When people were saying, we think you guys are going to be really good, to make sure that you kept your you know, your your your wits about you about all that.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know, I knew we were good. We got to start of the nation and we got tied to cal Berkeley, which was a huge upset, but we had a great team and we're information that year unfortunately, right. But like the kids nowadays, to the bottom line is you can't listen to all the students telling you how great you are, how good your team is, all this stuff, and you just got to you know, you know you're good, so you don't need to listen.
Speaker 14: To what they're saying. Just you got to work hard every.
Speaker 13: Week, get prepared, and do your job. And I know it's a game, but it's still a job, and it's a business, and you just gotta do what you gotta do to win every game. But I don't care if you won by a player it's forty points, it doesn't matter as long as you win.
Speaker 1: You know how hard that is to do, John, you did it right. You had to try to do it at least incovered the games. And I've said this a number of times. One of the things I've learned the most is emotions and games. What's the mindset of a twenty year old, nineteen year old going into a big game when you know he just lost his girlfriend or his dog, his dog, you know what I'm saying. Just kind of think, could you talk about that and how important that is?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean, people forget they're you know, they're human beings. They go to class, girlfriends, they have, uh, whatever else is going on. It's called lice and things happened. So you have highs and lows in your life. You just gotta When you got in the field, you just started to block it out. But there's twenty year old kids. You got emotions, you know, and yeah, and you just gotta live your life and just try to block it out and do your job. But it's it's not easy. I mean, it is what.
Speaker 2: It is, right, all right? Right, all right, John, So give us a score tonight. What do you think? Who is be as level headed about this as you can?
Speaker 13: You know, I really believe it's gonna be a really close game. I think it's gonna be, uh.
Speaker 14: Probably a higher scoring game. I'm saying you have a thirty four thirty one.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, there's two people who said right around there, So okay, we believe you, John.
Speaker 13: You don't believe me, huh.
Speaker 1: Steve doesn't. He doesn't believe anything. He's a grump. I'm just nice because you're it's bigger than me. It was good seeing you, though.
Speaker 2: You're gonna watch a game at home today with some family or what.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I got my brother and nephew coming over.
Speaker 2: All right, well that was great, Well be well, thanks a bunch. Don't break anything and uh you know, let's try and pull one out. Let's see what happens.
Speaker 13: Hopefully off to yell and cuts at the TV too much and was good time?
Speaker 1: Right right, thanks a bunch man, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Any time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. John Kaiser former U of a football player back in the early eighties.
Speaker 2: You know, I thought he was more in the mid eighties. You know when I thought he was in the eighty four eighties age. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I thought he had. I thought he played during that time. But I haven't ran into him a lot. He was a big, big, really big soap pitchopp Oh yeah, I'm sure you could.
Speaker 1: He His daughter's a heck of yeah, she went to Syracuse or something.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, okay, well that was fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's good. Uh, look at you. You got some back in a little but he's kind of muscle on that side of the he's in the thirties, is in the thirty Yeah, oh no, which is good. I think you guys are gonna be righty. They kind of score, they got to score away.
Speaker 2: I think both teams are going to score plenty, I do, I do, and again, Arizona fans can't lose their minds with every touchdown. The Kansas State scores because they're going to score, and Arezon'a just needs outscore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, first one to thirty, you think, yeah, could be okay, let's take a break, come back, talk more about the football game. Maybe take a call or two, but we'll give you the number on that side of the commercials. All right, If you're an Arizona man's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 11: Hi.
Speaker 1: This is formal.
Speaker 15: While get Leman huntly with Arizona Health, imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space.
Speaker 1: In your life.
Speaker 2: We off a complete.
Speaker 15: Line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 5: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 1: Tucson, Steve vera heir and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back in a home. Then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 11: Steve Rivera and jaygn Salles, they have their eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Stage chat Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 1: They welcome back joining the ball here at Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Roberta, He's Jigginsauce. We got our guy whe with us today. We have kids in town, Henry and now Matt. Thanks for joining us. We got about twelve minutes. If you want to call, please do five to two oho four one six seventy four forty. Let us know what you think about the game. Are they gonna win lose? I think I think majority. I don't know what majority would say, even though I'm a Tucson.
Speaker 2: Well, if you look at uh, if you look at our.
Speaker 1: Pool that we're there's a lot of people picking the game.
Speaker 2: There's a few. Last I checked, uh, and this is the point spread. Okay, last I checked, there's twenty five taking Arizona, twenty taking kens Day, so it's relatively even.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if I were a betting man and took this game, I would take the points.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I couldn't tell you why. I'd be afraid of the push actually, but.
Speaker 2: Well, it's right on the right on the number. I think it dropped to six and a half. That's what we talked about. But yeah, I hate I hate threes and sevens and tens. But it's a it's a very even game, Steve. I think that, And that's why I think the seven seven is high. If it was like yeah, four, yeahsign the ball, I think I think you'd have a whole lot more. I think you'd have a whole lot more even, Yeah, more, it would be a little more even. So I don't know, do have a night Do you have a collar?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks like we do.
Speaker 2: Hi, You're on the r and I on the.
Speaker 12: Ball, So kind of chiming in on the game today.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, what's what's your name is?
Speaker 13: John?
Speaker 2: John?
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Guys?
Speaker 12: All right, go ahead, Yeah, So to me, it comes down to basics. Do you tackle?
Speaker 16: Uh?
Speaker 12: Do you stay ahead of the chains? Do you're not turn the ball over? So, you know, in games like this where teams may or may not be even the match, that comes down to the basics, and do you execute those things at the high level? So far do we tackle well, I don't know, you know, because we have bad penalties, you know, penalties against the offensive line. But whoever wins to turnover battle Leary, take care of the ball if you can punt it and take it well, you know, in a game where things are are pretty evenly matched, those you know who are going to be the best Utah essentially and do all the little things that takes to win a game. Because that's why I saw last year in our team that so far feels like it's been missing.
Speaker 2: Well. I think one of the big things, one of the really big things, is the penalties. Arizona's been horrible at the penalties the first couple of first couple of weeks and not just you know, off sides and those kinds. I mean, they've had big penalties on sportsman likes and personal files and things. That's going to be a big deal because you can't you know, you can get away with that against NAU. You can get away with that against New Mexico. But I'm pretty sure you can't get away with that like that.
Speaker 1: I know you're a big sports fan. I know you've watched Booth games at a scale of one to ten, what have What's been your impression of Arizona overall?
Speaker 13: Five?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, and I bet that might be that might be a little bit generous, but you know, and that's that's factoring them all. Things you know in New Mexico is able to move the ball against us, and then we couldn't do anything into NAU. Both of those are not good trends. Yeah, you know, the things that last year were that we dominated teams like you know, and and I'll harken back to Utah. We punched Utah on the face last year and that was something you didn't see from Arizona football as long as I've been, going back to maybe the tony years where you saw actually our physical teams, and so far, I feel like we've been a little too soft really, So you know you're gonna get good living the test tonight. As you know, a team is probably a fundamental team. It's gonna line up and punching an off a little bit on the road. How what kind of program do we have?
Speaker 1: All right? John, thanks so much for the call, Thanks for listening to us.
Speaker 14: Appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Thank you to think yeah, no, he makes all the points right. Well, it's again there's that list of things. Yeah, when you're in an evenly matched game that maybe they seem little, but collectively and they add up and they can make the difference.
Speaker 1: One are the things that he's mentioned and we talk about every now and again, but it's very apparent is the tackling. Right, We've seen them when they didn't tackle very much to begin the season, right, just because they don't want to get hurt. Right, this is one of those years. It's apparent that this is one of those years.
Speaker 2: Right. They weren't fit, They haven't been physical enough for sure, on either side of the ball. Right, So I think that that's gonna be a big deal with with what happens today. But again, you know, if Kansas State don't done the same thing, you know they gave up twenty seven points last week to Tulane. I mean, yeah, you know, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I don't know. I didn't play at this level. But I'm not sure how the home field of damage will be a part of it, because it's gonna be big. It's gonna be big. You guys who go to the games at Arizona, you guys hope to be big. Right, Some days it is, some days it isn't.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So it's hard to determine what that's going to play, especially in the first in the first road.
Speaker 2: Game, right right. I yeah, I think that I think they might be a little surprised that it's gonna be tense because in the Pac twelve, you got that at Oregon, you got that at Washington, you got that. Yeah, come for and that was it. I've got an the caller. Hi, you're on the R and I and the ball Boy.
Speaker 4: That's a weird single. How you doing, Hey, I'm gonna I'm gonna give.
Speaker 17: You the prognostication for tonight. And here we go.
Speaker 4: You guys are thinking that the Fish was coaching and we're still in the Pac ten and this.
Speaker 17: Is a road game. That's three factors against.
Speaker 2: The u of A.
Speaker 4: And and and I don't know about the college, but the NFL in my in my history, they've always been favored the home team by three points, yes, regardless, So there's not a lot even because they're on the road. And I think if Brennan wins eight games.
Speaker 17: I think that's gonna be a six ul season for him.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I mean if they if they go eight and four and people are unhappy with that, then they need to shake themselves. No, you'd you'd be fine with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but but but they're they're there.
Speaker 17: They might cover the spread, but they're losing tonight. Okay, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: I think that's fair.
Speaker 4: John, Yeah, they're gonna lose. I don't know anything about football. I'm just saying what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, all right, that's legit. All right, No, I I you know, no, I mean, there's nothing wrong with anything that Howard said there. It's just you know, look, I mean if you had told if you before the N of YOU game said I think Arizona's gonna lose n A U, I tell you you're full of you know what, But you know to think that Arizona doesn't win this game. I don't have any issues with that. I don't think they're gonna win. I just don't. If they do great, but you seven, I would take the seven. I would. I'm not going to, but I would.
Speaker 1: And you'd be okay with that too, right If they played well, well, yeah, well enough.
Speaker 2: I just want a good game out of the night, exactly. That's all I'm looking for. Show show up, right, show up, compete, compete. Don't do stupid things that lose you. If they beat you because they were better than you tonight and they beat you and you didn't have a bunch of penalties, and you didn't have a bunch of turnovers, and they just it was a good game and you were kind of going back and forth and you know, punching each other. And they win the game because they made one more play than you did. There's nothing to complain about that. But if they go in there and they've got one hundred and five yards and penalties, they turned the ball over three times, they get behind early, they're not tackling, they're not physical, then that, yeah, then I'm upset. I don't know if upsets the right where, But then I'm just like, I'm unhappy if they do that.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you, because I didn't pay attention as an observer last week. Brought the guy's name up, Davis. Did he play last week? Was he had to see it? No, he didn't have to sit out. He didn't have to sit out after being thrown out right?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, No, he didn't play. I not he was. He was less of a pain ye had he.
Speaker 2: Had the I mean, Steve, the defense played fine. You know, the defense played fine. You know the fact that they were behind makes people think the defense played terribly. They didn't. They they played. They played a good game, and so I think the defense is actually pretty good. Well we'll find out more tonight. And you know what, if Kansas State puts thirty on the board, that's what Big twelve teams do. They score points like that.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: I mean what people also, people don't realize is that it's a trick play for any to get a touchdown exactly.
Speaker 1: And well he also blew it by going on fourth and one and they get gave it Arizon the momentum to kind of fish finish them off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's it. You know they the touchdown was on a trick play. They caught them. Those things happened. That's what a team that's outmanned does. That's how they score. They do stuff like that. But you can only do that once or twice a game. And they scored ten points. You know, Arizona just peddled around on offense and did it about what they needed to do to win the game and that and and I think that's got everybody freaked out. I was a little freaked out by it, you know, walking out of the stadium, I'm like, damn, you know, I didn't like what I saw.
Speaker 1: I think it was you that said they never mind. I said, what, uh wherever in trouble? Oh yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, no, I I yeah, I mean, I just I don't know it. Just yeah, okay, we got another call coming in. That's good. Thanks for calling in.
Speaker 13: Hi.
Speaker 16: You're on the ar and iron Ball and it's your buddy Jim again.
Speaker 2: All right, Jim, you got about two minutes.
Speaker 1: That's all I did. I hope they do better than what I.
Speaker 14: Said they would do the other day.
Speaker 1: I really do that.
Speaker 16: There are a pair of statistics that I was looking at and I never got to get that out because I was interrupted several times. But they have run, well, the opposition has run twenty one percent more offensive plays in those two games. And that's New Mexico and NAU. So that's what really I was looking at. And it's hard to get around at. That's twenty four more plays, twenty three more plays, and you know, also rans and so it looks tough. It looks like a tough proposition. So I hope they I hope they do better. So that Jay's back on Monday.
Speaker 1: Well, what did you give us a score before? I can't remember?
Speaker 17: Forty one seventeen, that's right, he gave it twenty one?
Speaker 1: Who Kansas State?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember we talked about he said, I said, that's a blowout, and he had that conversation.
Speaker 1: I do, I do.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 16: I heard the term blowout five or six times, and I never said, Okay.
Speaker 2: Jim, I'll take Arizona and the twenty four.
Speaker 1: He's no longer whether he's roughed, Okay, we're good, we're good. You got a couple of minutes left. All right, thanks Ji for color. All right, that is a blowout. I don't know if that will happen.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. I mean, if it does, then we're really unhappy. Yeah, right, if it does, then you go, oh no, you know what if you do know we don't get a couple of minutes. If that happens, you know, people fans are gonna say Brendan's not the guy. Of course they will. There's people already say that. I think we know that. Let them. I think I think they're fine. I think we'll uh, you know, we'll get there, see what happens. Okay, Yeah, we'll give our we'll give our scores. Don't forget. We got to do fab five Friday. You got yours ready, I got mine ready. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't feel as good about it. You actually did have way decent last week?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I got some.
Speaker 1: Uh but you know you're one. Have you got your one yet? I'm looking for right now?
Speaker 2: You got your You got your lock?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 2: Alrighty man, we'll get one. We'll get one's lock. That should be good to You're one for one on those one one one and one. You missed the one first one.
Speaker 3: I don't remember the first week, but last week you'll only remember your way.
Speaker 1: Don't talk about the.
Speaker 2: Exactly that's how you become winners. You put the you put the losses behind you. That's what that's what you do. Yeah, so I you know, I feel like, uh as we get closer to it, right, my mind goes in all different directions the last the last two weeks. You know, at the at the end, I thought Arizona's gonna blow up both of them, and they didn't do either one. Today I'm sitting here thinking they're gonna lose. So I hope I'm wrong, you know, I hope I'm wrong. We'll see what happens, all right. I think we're ready for our birth. No, we got to No, we still got two minutes. Sorry, yeah, we still got two minutes. I miscalculated, Jim, you can call back, not just kidding. You can't. I was I was doing my math wrong.
Speaker 1: We'll see. So now you have breaking news, right, you have breaking news. Well, can maybe take a call or too during the breaking news. You'll have your right for that. And then well I will there right right, Yeah, John Wilder's going to join us.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get into that and other stuff going on with the with the new PAC twelve and then they're calling it a six pack for now because there's six of them. But uh, you know what's gonna what's gonna happen there. We had some thoughts on it yesterday when all this came out, and we know it's not done. The question is who gets uh you know, which conferences get raided? You know, where are the team's going to come from to fill out that league, because you know, they want to get that league back up to being a quality league. It's not going to get up to Pack twelve level, it's not going to get up to power flour level. But they can be certainly better than you know. They can be one of the top group of five or maybe the you know, the team that makes it a group of six uh uh league, and we'll see what you know. I'd love to hear John thoughts on. He's always been in the middle of all that. So you should have some you should have some good thoughts on that. I don't know, Steve, I don't know.
Speaker 1: You're all right because you're are you by yourself? You don't want you by yourself?
Speaker 2: No, My my son and my grandson are coming over and my daughter. It's a family thing. My wife's not home from out of town yet, so she'll be back tonight. So it's a it's a family thing, you know, we'll just uh, we'll just uh oh, Jim, Jim just got his oh his I think his phone died. He just texted me. He says he'll give me sixteen points. Jim, I am all over that. Send me a Texas to what you want to wager on that, if anything, or if it's just a friendly bed and I can call you out when Arizona covers that.
Speaker 1: You know you'd have to meet him. Each other would have to meet him. Yeah, I don't know that I want to do lunch. I don't know Jim wants to do that.
Speaker 2: And I know that you want to.
Speaker 1: Really have to get together a collar.
Speaker 2: Gim is he's given me sixteen points in Arizona, and I am all all over that.
Speaker 1: He tried to snooker me into that last week, but I said whatever, Yeah he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we can't let him get away with that. All right, now we got to get out no, yeah, now, we got to get out of here. So all right, we're gonna take our break. When we come back, it'll be breaking news