Speaker 1: It's the Lapsed Fan Wrestling podcast special report. The Lapse Fan presents the Complete Hull Coogan, a real American story brought to you by Garage Beer.
Speaker 2: As we charted the complete Hulk Higen Boss the Seminole run in Southeastern Alabama wrestling Andre the Giant and Harley Race and Austin Idel and Ox Baker, you may recall that Hulk Hogan all of a sudden, of course, working as Terry the Hulk Boulder at the time, made a side quest to Memphis brother exactly all of a sudden, as Ron Fuller, the promoter down in Southeastern is doing all of these things to architect what hul Hogan would become in so many ways. And we talked to over the break here with none other than Charlie Platt, the voice of Southeastern Wrestling. It was our distinct pleasure to bring you that interview as you really put us on the front row seat of what it was like to see Terry Boulder come off the Cocoa Beach run and find out what the Hulk was going to be. All of a sudden, He's in Memphis, and we know that there was some connective tissue between the Alabama and Memphis offices at the time, But we didn't get a whole lot into it. Because if we're going to talk about nineteen seventy nine in the life of Terry Boulder or Terry Bolea, Ry God Terry oh Man, I had it, Terry, Terry Boldrea, Terry Boldrea, We've got to slice and dice this thing a million different ways, and we've got to play around with the timeline just a little bit.
Speaker 3: Listen, it makes sense. I think I think it's a good idea to kind of in a way keep it to the territory, you know, like kind of just focus on one Terrier, Terry Tory there. It is territory and one Terry at a time.
Speaker 2: The territory days as it were, the territorial days. Ough as we rock into a new year here, but just turn another page on the complete Hull Cogan journey, and who knows how many more years are to unfold before us, because we will not stop until everything that can be said about Terry Bolea is said. And Memphis was key, but also brief, perhaps even briefer than the things we talked about in our last installment that he did in the Alabama Pensacola Gulf Coast area because it was coming to Jerry Jarrett and Jerry Lawler, who were running c W a Continental Wrestling Association the Memphis territory at the time.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know, I know, I know that. I know that he was there obviously because he faced Jerry Lawler, and I have that. I've had that tape forever. But it's just a it's still fucking weird to know to even think that even before or he you know, before he was in Minnesota, before he was in New York, he was in Memphis. It just doesn't sit right. It doesn't sit right. Yeah, you know it.
Speaker 2: That's why we have to slice in DAE seventy nine because it's Alabama, it's Memphis, it's Georgia Championship Wrestling on the Hobs, and yes, it is the World Ride Wrestling Federation in New York. All in one year, the first year that he becomes the Hulk. Everybody wants to book this guy, or at least he finds a way to navigate the business such that he ends up working for a lot of the most prominent promoters operating on the East coast of the United States. In nineteen seventy nine. It is a dizzying year not to use upon on the future name for Ed Boulder Dizzy Hogan, which we'll get to.
Speaker 3: Brother, big dizzy dude, Big dizz dude, what's the dizz ed Boulder. That's what it is. We've got a double dizz brother.
Speaker 2: Well, we talked so much in the episodes about the Bolder Brothers. We asked Charlie Platt about it. While he certainly remembers Eddie Leslie working there as said Boulder, we did kind of press him like was he ever involved with this Hulk that we're talking about in seventy nine on television? And it was hard. It was hard to pin down where there is no match result in nineteen seventy nine in the Alabama territory where I had shared the ring with Hulk, but he was clearly living with him, and they were doing the beach lifestyle in Pensacola with the van and all that stuff and involved in some other activities, as the great Charlie Platt brought to our attention, and I say, yeah, they.
Speaker 3: Were working as a unit.
Speaker 2: Well before they were working as a unit on a wrestling television show where Terry and Ed but it's here in Memphis that the Boulder Brothers become a thing. It's here that Hulk and Ed share the screen and convey to the audience in a way that survives on videotape that they are in fact brothers, and in more than just the sense that Terry calls everybody brother. Of course, at his time on Earth. Going back to their partnership in the gym on Cocoa Beach, they both got gassed hard, hit the weights and hit the Lloyds as hard as they could until they couldn't be denied as attractions. Because one of the key lessons of The Complete Hull Cogan is that if you roid the fuck up, people.
Speaker 3: Want to see you do things.
Speaker 2: Yep, and Terry Bulea learned that very early and ran away to the bank with it, despite having to deal with a lifetime chorus of people saying he didn't have it in the ring. Well, we're going to get a lot of a chance this time on the Complete Hull Cogan. To make a true assessment of that is early seventy nine, because right, boss, all we've seen him to this point is him training a little bit at this sport at.
Speaker 3: Tium, right dam it's that or or you know him him in that arm wrestling match with dere which was a match, but you know it's certainly him. You know he's selling and stuff and he's vicious and whatever. So I'll take it and the bear hug with the outlaw. That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: But as we talked about, this is Ron Fuller set saying do this, do this, do that, three minutes that's it. Fare hug people to blood comes out of their mouth, and just do the most basic things you want to be Goldberg, Yes, that's the supreme That would have been the supreme irony of Hulk Hogan didn't do business with Bill Goldberg in nineteen ninety eight, he would have been He would have been protesting a push that mirrored precisely how he became the biggest box office attraction in the history of wrestling.
Speaker 3: That sounds that's like something he would do to prevent somebody else from becoming the biggest bo box office and draction.
Speaker 2: So any time you ever find yourself in the future pooh poohing or decrying the Goldberg push, know that it was the Hogan push first, and it's the reason professional wrestling became a multimedia. It's the reason it's a multi billion dollars It's the reason there was a Goldberg push exactly. A Goldberg push is also known as a real push. There you go, That's right, and not every every promoter took their try at it with Hulk Hogan. And then as soon as they tried that with Hulk, he found a way to leverage that for a better pay day elsewhere Fuller did it with him. Suddenly he's playing off Memphis and getting a higher pay day there. As we've already alluded to in prior episodes of The Complete Hullkogan, and we'll get into a bit more detail here. He's going to do the same thing to Jerry and Jerry Lawler and find his way over to vern Gania eventually in the AWA as well as Vince mcmahnon Senior in New York. And then he's gonna do the same thing to vern Gania to make his way over to Vince McMahon Junior. And he's gonna play Japan off of Vince McMahon Junior and Vince McMahon and he's gonna play the WWF off WCW. He's gonna keep you lying it's fine. I don't see what you're who is.
Speaker 3: It's just normal, Okay, It's just it's just business, brother, right.
Speaker 2: And as he wins every single showdown he has with every promoter he ever faced, you start to understand why folks in the business get so jealous about the quote unquote Goldburg push. It allows people like Hull Cogan to make so much more money than they could ever hope to make. And so we're gonna chart that as well as a through line in the complete hul Cogan.
Speaker 3: It is in new year. It's twenty twenty six. Boss.
Speaker 2: We are very happy to be back at the controls after a well deserved break. Oh fuck yes, absolutely listen you know I I you say. I do always enjoy the way we close off a year. I think we do it in stead.
Speaker 3: Oh does it better? I No fucking way anyone comes close. So I was. I was pretty proud of that whole of how we rolled out twenty twenty five, and yet here we are twenty twenty six. Just keeps on fucking rolling. I'll get you with the.
Speaker 2: Double where me on the main feed. We'll talk about cinemat in a second. But Charlie Platt filling in all the color we could hope to get about Terry Bullay's earliest days in Southeastern and becoming the Hulk, and the match with Harley and all the gimmicks around the fucking rip Use Stadium show and who was selling tickets and vials and royds everywhere, and just a tremendous amount of truth telling. Okay, tremendous amount of truth telling. And then we dropped on you an interview with Kit Parker of the Wrestling Gold Series. You mentioned having that Hulk Hog and Jerry Lawler match from Memphis on PHS Boss.
Speaker 3: Oh Yes, absolutely, yep.
Speaker 2: That, among so many other things, including the aforementioned hulkg and Andre Arm wrestling footage from Alabama, came to us courtesy of Kit Parker Films in the Wrestling Gold Series, and it was our pleasure to welcome him as well as Stuke Gans, who was sort of the co creator of the Wrestling Gold Series and at one time an announcer for the WWF, just as they begin their expansion out in the Bay Area in California. We welcome them for a special interview that we shared with you over the holiday break as well to color in how as best we could. This hul Cogan Andre footage made it to the surface, yet we don't have anything else from that time period. Memphis is a little different because, for whatever reason, it was a territory where I don't know, maybe VCRs were more replete. You can tell that the nineteen seventy nine Memphis footage that survives of Hulk, Hogan and all the rest is taped off of television, unlike the Gulf Coast Andre footage, which appears to be off the Masters. This is clearly just stuff that's on YouTube and taped off TV, and it's been seen a lot.
Speaker 3: I mean, you've probably seen we'll get to it. Of course.
Speaker 2: Have you seen before the vignette where Hulk is set against a completely black background and litten away where he's heavily shadowed and the announcer dramatic proclamations about his dimensions.
Speaker 3: And things like that. Yeah, I've seen that one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So those are the kind of things that survive because Memphis was a territory where people hung on to tapes of shows or had VCRs in nineteen seventy nine to tape the shows. So we did talk about Southeastern really geographically was a relatively tiny territory, especially when you consider that the stuff Hulk was doing with Andrea didn't even necessarily air in every market that Ron Fuller had under his aegis. It was sometimes just limited to the feed that a few cities in Alabama even got some of the stuff we need to feel the most. Like the Dothan match with Harley, I think the homie Matt put it well, Dothan Forever. I think, oh yeah, definitely a takeaway thus far right.
Speaker 3: I think I think yep. I think Dothan extreme is what's called with in extreme wrestle Andre the Giant for the first time in the city. If he's going to attack Andre in a TV studio for the first time in the city, and if he's going to wrestle Harley Race in an outdoor football stadium for the NBA Championship just a couple of months into the business in the city, it is indeed Dothan Forever, the original DX with an extreme, but it's it's definitely Memphis time. And I think we've gotten the pump primed with the aforementioned interview series that we did with folks who played no small part and why we're able to not only read about and learn about, but you know, feel and re experience what it was like for those earliest days before the whole world was hip to the fact that Terry Bolea was about to become the biggest box office attraction the pro wrestling industry had ever seen. Now that isn't all that we delivered.
Speaker 2: Over the break, of course, as always, folks subscribe to our patreon aton dot com slash lapsed Fan got a full on, full frontel assault in the form of Christmas Movie Season, a drop.
Speaker 3: On Christmas Day. Listen, you know, there there's there's nothing like being Home Alone two and getting lost in New York on Christmas Day. It's just there's there's there's nothing better. And we had a not only Christmas movie season, but a season of sequels as we charted h A Jingle all the Way to Die Hard, to Die Harder, and Home Alone two, Lost in New York, the New Batch, and you know, we we got to we got to kind of dig in a little bit on on that on on Donald Trump and his kind of is is some wacky I mean, listen, his whole affiliation with the ww' is whacky, but some other like something like some things, like you you hadn't heard about the gangrel story that we talked about, and and and there there were some things in there that I just thought were It's just wild. It's just wild to think that that you know, that there were so many other stories besides the ones that we knew from him being on TV. But yeah, I'll tell you what, I'm very excited. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna blow the lot off of yet, but I think I think we're going to be in for quite a treat twenty twenty six. We got something. I got something that's been cooking for quite a while, and I'm very, very, very very excited to drop it on you this week.
Speaker 2: In the format of under the Cinemat Yeah, in the format of yeah, yes, yes, yes. Perhaps by the time you hear this first TLF episode of twenty twenty six, you'll already be hip to what we're talking about if you're in the EP tier or above over at patreon dot com Slash the Laps fan. Of course that is inclusive of the Moat tier. And of course it's a new year, but Mama Sorrow is still up to her tricks. Wrestle Mam Yeah.
Speaker 3: Mama Sorrow just never stops at her old tricks, and you know, coming I'm trying to what this would have been. So, you know, every year the week before the Rumble, I try to get a rumble in. I tried it, been doing them in order with my mom and I think I think it's ninety one this year. So that was a treat for me. Oh that's massive. That was a treat for me. That's coming up in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: You know, there's there was a page one show when we started this whole podcast.
Speaker 3: Absolutely it was it was my u it was my was it the first one when we did our little Chairman's choice before we started on the the Wrestlingia Journey was one of my my shows for that one of my three shows I think that I chose, and it was it was a no brainer. It was like, that's that's absolutely what's going to happen. And it's because of Hogan later with no longer alive, exactly, it's always Hogan. I was trying to think here what they just what you just would have seen, oh, you would always a good sign when simply reading the title of the episode, const you would have just heard me and my mom watch the debut of the shock Master. That's how we start twenty twenty six. Yeah, okay, by stumbling through a hole in the wall, through all on the walls how I started my year two and uh and we go. We go back to basics for my mom. Actually, this is the next one coming up for those who may be uh, who may still be a little like on the fence. You want to hear my mom go back to like her her fandom days, like her warm and fuzzies. We get to tell, we get watch a match with the Haystax Calhoun and Tony geriad taken on Tanaka and Fuji. That's about as northeast as it gets. Haystax Calhoun is just the one that you know, my mom gets a big thrill out of that. And Killer Kowalski, the Polish guy, obviously Polish exponent. So yeah, just because the holiday season is behind us doesn't mean that the warm and fuzzies of the living room carpet have to be behind you. If you're Remote tier member at Patreon, shared the carpet with Mamasarrow and the Boss as they take in the wrestling matches of yours all the more difficult access now as Peacock has taken down the entire archive, and it appears that Netflix is going to at least or has already put up all the WWE pay per views in the past. But all that means, you know what that means nice, All that matters is we keep track of what we don't have, right That's the only thing anyone's going to talk abou yep, yep. And you know, I do feel very lucky that we do have. We have a significant archive, you know, elapsed archives.
Speaker 2: The Solar system isn't going to let that kind of risk. They're not going to tolerate that kind of risk.
Speaker 3: You know. It's it's it's really it's unbelievable how much stuff we've been we've been gifted over the years, and how much stuff we still have. So you know, we have we have content for years to come, hands down. But enough about the complete Hulk Ogan Brother. Yeah, we'll be covered as well as we get to the points in Hulk's career where we just do traditional deep dives like you've come to expect from us over a decade, you know, and we've got those shows at the ready in the chamber. Uh fool proof, risk proof, not a problem as you as you would have expected. By now you talk about what a fucking shit show. I can't believe, you know, it's funny. I actually haven't even been on on on Pecock in a while, and it says, what a what a what a what a fucking I mean, you know, the whole fucking what a mess? What a mess? That like, they can't I'll tell you what here, here's where them and the gran I know they don't care. They don't care, number one, that's the bottom that's really the bottom line. They don't care. But my biggest issue is like why couldn't they have Why couldn't they have like all the things like warmed up in Netflix? Why do they have to just wait? You know, like why couldn't they have everything loaded up? Obviously don't don't, don't drop it when you know, until you until you have the legal rights to do so. But like, why couldn't they have everything that they have on Peacock or god forbid, the fucking network and the old network and just let it, you know, like have it ready to go and then all of a sudden you drop it and boom, there it is. But you know, it's all anybody would be talking about. I know, the first of the year. I know.
Speaker 2: I mean if it was all there and unleashed upon us and we had that that security. But it's fine whatever, it's not. It's not fine going around fucking playing little games with this content apparently isn't important. It doesn't mean anything. But you're already slicing the dice in it. So Netflix gets some of the archive, Vault gets some of the whatever.
Speaker 3: What will be your guide? As always?
Speaker 2: What will be your beacon in the storm here at TLF. You mentioned lost in New York. Terry Boley is about to get lost in New York here completely, I'll go good pretty soon. I couldn't let that one pass in terms of where we're heading. But yes, so, Patreon dot com slash the lapsed fan your source for all things exclusive TLF your way to prove to us that you're worthy of the effort that we put in. And further to the point, it's it's it's live call season. It's gonna get a little silly, little as you can imagine. Yes, So, as a precursor to to the next remarks about what to expect from a programming announcement perspective on our live calls and such, we should share with the Solar System some exciting news. Boss for those approximate to Broadway. You you're going to be taking the stage.
Speaker 3: I'll be I'll be lost in New York myself for for quite a while. While lost in New York in twenty twenty six, Uh yeah, just desserts a musical bake off. I am returning off Broadway this January thirtieth through February twenty through February twenty second short run of this of a of a very funny, hilarious musical that takes place. It takes place during and around a baking contest. If it's not all about food, okay, I mean, are you fucking like seriously? And I play an Italian, an Italian from Brooklyn who bakes and eats. So I guess they just looked at me and we're like, oh, okay, we got you. Good.
Speaker 2: Well, when Hope gets to New York, he'll be an Italian in Brooklyn bakes and eats.
Speaker 3: He eats, and he bakes and well not necessarily the way you mean bakes, as as it says on the on the on the website, a mysterious man from Brooklyn who arouses suspicion of out his past brother. What dude, sewn o'shay like? But yeah, we're at the the a MT Theater on forty fifth Street. You can get tickets those who are in the area or who want to travel to the area a MT Theater dot org slash just Desserts and you can you can buy tickets there. And the fun thing about are about this particular this particular production is that there will be a guest baker every show really and so there will be like you know, there'll be an array of of of of treats and whatnot every every show. Like they've I got the list right here, we got the uh Invictus Bakery. I'm not sure some of these are all these are most of them are local, obviously, I should take that back. All of them are local, uh New York places. Actually a former uh you know, she's a friend. I'll just call her a friend, Alison Mahoney. She's called the Singing Baker. She's going to be a guest baker on February eleventh, Junior's Oh fucking Juniors Cheesecake is going to be there. Fuck it fuck it, send e nest to go pick up some of that that's already tasty. This is the it's it's it's definitely worth it. If even if you don't like musical theater, come for the food and you know, come to see me play this kind of like the podcast, you know, yeah, right, eat, you don't like us, come for the food. Puns man, right, if you don't like wrestling, stay for the other stuff. There's plenty of that. So yeah, just dessert. It's a musical bake off, very fun, exciting CoA chairs no send us an email LAPS fan at gmail dot com. If boss Man can expect you, I'm sure will be three yes, please do already know some members of the Solar System are making plans. I do. I've gotten quite a few dms on Instagram specifically, we had a couple of Black Friday deals and what not going right around Thanksgiving and in the holidays, and some people a message thing they already got their tickets and I really appreciate that, so you know, come on out, come on out. But you know, given that the dates that we have there, it does create some conflict, not not too much, but to it, we do want to get word out early and often, so Roller Rumble this year is in fucking Saudi Arabia, So it's going to be on at two o'clock in the afternoon, which is already bullshit and already sucks and already gives us all the cover we need to just not do it live. But because of the show schedule, we're not going to be able to do the Word Rumble until the Sunday night. It's a Saturday afternoon on the East Coast this year. I got I got a two show day that day, so unfortunately, I will not be able to do it to do it live as I have I have that fucking one. I gotta have it. You're not willing to make it a three show day, that's for sure. Well, hey, you know, I wouldn't mind doing it, but we wouldn't be starting till eleven o'clock at night. Okay, I'll do it, all right, I'll do it. I'll do it o'clock all right. So maybe maybe we'll hate you with the surprise, but we want to prepare you for it the very least. The fact that the Royal Rumble this year, which is only appropriate because if they're gonna do something as goofy as bring it to Saudi Arabia that we can do whatever the fuck we want when we said is going to at least not be live as far as that afternoon. Every time they've done a premium live event in the afternoon on a Saturday, we all kind of understand that you're really reaching the bottom of the barrel. I mean, what are you willing to give their whole Saturday away for what you have? I'm fucking doing for God's sakes? Like what a rumble? What a dumb ass fucking thing, Like you know, I you know what, why even bother? I mean, I know people are like, you know, you want the live stream and whatever. I know, it's not like ninety two or you can settle with a delay. You're not gonna get any news, but you know, come the fuck on, like, why do that? Why have it live live for people who are gonna be you know, fucking hu, who's listen? No one's gonna fuck it? I mean, I know, I know, I'll a lot of people are not going to sit there and fucking watch that thing live. I'm sure if you were able to look at the numbers for United States viewers, let alone people like on the West Coast where it's going to be on at eleven am, Like, what the fuck? What's the matter with them? You make an interesting point, like you know, it's one thing when they go to Perth, Australia or Paris, France, yes, or any of these markets on a Saturday afternoon where you know you're not going to be able to stop people from taking video in the arena and uploading it to Twitter and everyone getting spoilers. Saudi Arabia, though, I don't know, call me, you know, color me prejudicial, but I'm pretty sure there's a way to stop people from taking video inside of the arena and sharing it of all the arenas, of all the countries. It might not necessarily be legal, but I'm sure that there are ways to stop people from taking.
Speaker 2: Depends we're talking about international law or saudistraw, but that's your point, you know, Yeah, there could be away. I'd imagine where they could actually have the rumble at a time that makes sense for the locals and not be available for streaming internationally until or traditional time.
Speaker 3: Slote. I just they I mean again, they did it for they did it for the summer seminy two. We could delayed for a day or two, like it's it's possible. I know again, you know it's different, the the technology, the internet, everything is is obviously much. You know, we can we can we we can know results before they happen. Yes, you know these days, but still I wouldn't listen. It's not hard, I think I am. I am a I think I am at testment to the fact that it is not hard to get to not miss spoilers, wait wait to miss spoil It's not hard to miss spoilers basically because I don't even I don't even think about it. You know, I don't even think about it. When we have a delayed call and I just go and then it's like, oh yeah shit, I didn't even I didn't nothing came up. I don't even have to hide anything.
Speaker 2: So all of this also is to say, I defy you to show me one human being on planet Earth who will not watch the Rumble when it's uploaded. If you do a delay like we're talking about because they saw spoilers on Twitter. One person, right, one person exactly who will say I'm not going to watch it.
Speaker 3: Now everyone's gonna watch it. Yeah, So there goes that argument. So whatever.
Speaker 2: The whole point is, if you're strapped in at two eastern Saturday afternoon, January thirty first, whenever the fuck it is, we're not gonna have a live call, but it'll be there soon enough, as soon as we feel like it. Maybe we'll just do the Rumbel matches on Saturday and give you the rest of the day. I don't know, but it's they fucked it up, so don't don't fuck don't fucking look at us.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Therefore the same they do the same thing to us by pushing WrestleMania out deep into April, when like THISERI vacation's going on. It's like, whatever, dude, we'll figure that out too. But fair warning there we will be doing the Saturday It's main event, the first live call of twenty twenty six. There was a reason to hang on to your peacock, Ah, Jesus Christ, that's all. I like my peacock anyway. But man, what the fuck all it is now is Saturday Night's made event and nxt P l E S no no archives, that's it.
Speaker 3: That's what you get. They don't even have I just look at they don't even have a WWE thing. Anymore, Like they don't even have a course, not.
Speaker 2: They don't have any WW content on there beyond quarterly Saturday Night's Mad Event specials.
Speaker 3: Fuck sad, what a fucking bunch of.
Speaker 2: At WW logo still being off to the left of the peacock home screen was the last vestige to meet the network. It's like, we're gonna pretend we have the network by putting a WW button on our home page.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, because they ain't fucking putting a WWE logo on Netflix, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: No, that's kind of way the kind of start the E is giving us. So we're gonna have to just bake and complete hull cog and goodness to feel right about pro wrestling in twenty twenty six, which is just fine by me and I'm sure fined by you. Yes, so lock it in, And of course, you know, for your Patreon dollar you get ad free verse of this show if you have to be listening on the public feed at a million other reasons to lock in. Folks at livet get it. This episode of the Lapsed Fan, as well as the Complete Hell Cocin, is brought to you by livit. And if it's time to get those New Year's resolutions pumping in the right direction.
Speaker 3: Boss.
Speaker 2: If you're going to hit the gym and up your nutritional value, there is a TLF approved way to do it. Livit lv was built on a simple idea put the most proven performance ingredients in one system at the right doses so that you don't need a shelf full of supplements like Hulk and Eddie did to train at a high level. Instead of piecing together pre workouts and creating and electrolytes and amino acids from all these different brands, Livit brings together the ingredients with the strongest research behind them for building muscle and proving endurance, supporting hydration and maintaining energy. And what's even more important boss about livit that it supports hydration. It's also equally, if not more important, that they support what that fucking cast.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Their activate sets the tone before training with clinically supported ingredients for focused blood flow, endurance is sustained energy. There recover products deliver what your body relies on afterward, essential amino acids, creating electrolytes, carbohydrates, ruscle stay hydrated and actually benefit from the work you put in. We're talking about a complete clean system designed by doctors and former wrestlers, okay, who wanted formulas based on real evidence, not trends. So if you're looking for performance in the new year, as well as recovery and value in one place, live It gives you all of it in one system and puts, most importantly, commissions in the co chairs.
Speaker 3: POSA, Right, are we getting any No one's giving a sample? Have we getting samples in those things? Yeah, we haven't dialed it in yet, we haven't locked it in. But I think, uh, I think you're you're expressing interest. If I'm not here, I am, well, you know I've been hit in the gym, you know, a lot since uh since the fall to it. So you know I could, uh, I could, you could use little energy performance, whatever the fuck it is. But your performance where your mouth is, brother, put your mouth where your performances. I guess there's more, is it livitnation dot com l I V I T nation dot com and you can you the promo code lapse. You're gonna get five percent off your order, and more importantly, let him know the co chairs sent you livitnation dot Com promo code laps. Let us know send us an email at laps fan at gmail dot com if you convert, as they say in the business, and we'll be sure to tip our cap to you as well. So proud to have live it lock in fuck yeah on those guns and those twenty by twenties brother on the Complete Hulk Hogan. But I'll tell you one one key sponsor that you have sampled and we'll continue to sample into twenty twenty six. Yes, if the gods cooperate, and that is our friends at Garage Beer. Woooo hop on the top on this disruptive brand absolutely reached. Yes, lots of disruptive brands. Fan of that that.
Speaker 2: Reached all new heights along with TLF in twenty twenty five. Very proud that Garagebeer is helping present the Complete Hulk Cogan to you because they get it. They get the truth has to be laid down about the most important figure in the business. So they get that understanding Hull Kogan is understanding why we're still here as reisn right in twenty twenty six or people of our vintage hour and so Garage Beer fastest growing beer brand in the US, CRISP Crushable Brewed for Good Times, no nonsense. Four percent ABV logger ninety five calories.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: Ninety five calories too, Crans of Carbs, two crowd favorite varieties classic in Lime. Go to their beer finder locator at drink Garage beer dot com and just you know, drink garage beer so you can prove to your coach hes. Ok, yeah, that you mean business when you say you're on the team and it's and you know what, not only that, but do it for your own enjoyment. It's fucking good. Oh that's it, man, that's the bottom line. It's fucking good.
Speaker 3: Like I like it. I like it a lot, and it's in and it's honestly, you know, I've I've I've checked out any other any other kind of beer. I mean listen, not that I had like a ton of beer to begin with, but you know, I certainly had my favorites and stuff, and they're gone. Fucking garage beer is fucking money. They know what they're doing over there.
Speaker 2: They get it in terms of flavor, absolutely, in terms of they get it in terms of beer taste, and they get it in terms of podcast taste abundantly clear. So it thumbs up to the pals at Garage Beer for their support, and we hope you'll support them in the new year as well. Nice counterbalance to the the gym rat performance that we're also putting out there. Yeah, Pro Wrestling Teas dot Com wear your shwag this year. Send images. Love to see people go into shows wearing the shirts.
Speaker 3: Well. And also, you know, it also kind of blends both sides because you had Hogan always with a six pack in the back of the Golden Gym talking with Slavage or whoever. So it's a good you know, it blends both worlds. It's perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody appreciated a cold six pack like Terry No. And of course, Cameo dot com Slash the lapsed fan, get those messages out. Valentine's Days not too far.
Speaker 3: Away, right, Listen, listen. I'll tell you what. I'm sure that there are plenty of loved ones or people who have loved ones who are LAPS fans. But I'd say even get the loved ones who aren't LAPS fans, give them, you know, a cameo because there's there's you know there, there's plenty of fodder there to be had for Valentine's Day, no question, and.
Speaker 2: We're working hard to present opportunities in twenty twenty six. Yes, for you out there in the Solar System to be with us in person. Yeah, we've got a lot of ideas. We don't want to put any cards before any horses. No, the gears are turning at TLFHQ, so there's no shortage of ways to support us and no shortage of excuses. So let's fucking go and let's go to Memphis.
Speaker 3: Memshis boss. Let's let's sort of visit. I'm ready, I'm ready to s going. You mentioned the Restler, you mentioned the Hogan. I'm so glad you mentioned the Hogan Lawer tape. Yeah you have. Yeah, let's start there because I will point out that match was in nineteen eighty one. Wow, no shit, So it's not this Memphis run, not even then. It's after fuck, well after.
Speaker 2: Well after Hogan has gone to the a WA, well after Hogan has made his presence known in Japan. In fact, the gear he's wearing in that match is the black and silver Japan gear that he would wear. So it's not this brief cup of coffee that him and Ed Boulder had as the Bolder brothers in nineteen seventy nine with the aforementioned vignette and stuff that everyone talks about, but it is part of the Memphis story because it kind of brings us back to a lot of the things that we set the foundation for here on this leg of the journey. So we will actually, in the spirit of trying to deal with how unwieldy nineteen seventy nine was for Terry Bolea, we will kind of spin the clock forward a little bit on this Memphis installment of things to get to that nineteen eighty one time period, because he comes back to the Mid South Coliseum, the Staple Wrestling Arena in the Memphis circuit Monday nights at the Mid South Colisseum was wrestling for people in and around Memphis, and he wrestles Jerry Lawler one on one after becoming a substantial name in the industry and having already gone through the w WWWF and Wrestling Andre the Giant Shay Stadium, making an impact Japan, making an impact in the AWA. What do you remember about that match? How did you come into possession of it?
Speaker 3: Good question, you know, I'm trying to remember. It would have come from either a friend or a family member, because I know I got it fairly early on, and we had the Wrestling Gold release, yeah, with that creepy picture of Hogan on it. That creepy leader was released in nineteen eighty eight. It is a it is a petrifying image of Actually it used to give me like nightmares for a good moment or two because like, what is this? Like why like he looks like he's going to kill somebody.
Speaker 2: We had a lot of fun talking to Kit Parker about the whole how to deal with calling Hi Hulk Hogan on a VHS that didn't have the WWFS pimission and how they sent him cease and assists and stuff fascinating And this is this is an exhibit a in so many ways what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: And I.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to think because I mean it must have been a mind blowing thing for me to really understand. I mean part of me is wondering it all. It all just depends on when in my fandom I got it. And again, I know I got it early on. I can I can. I can picture watching it, you know in a certain setup in my parents' house. All right, blue blue rug. You know, I had the the old TV, you know, like the furniture piece TV that with the volume button that turned the fucking that turned the turn of the TV on. No clicker, Yes, I guess most importantly, but you took it in at a time where it was simply revolutionary to see Hulk Cogan do anything that wasn't in the red, white and blue ropes. Not only that, but it was revolutionary to see Hulk Cogan as a heel. Come on, now, that's the part that really concerned me, and I remember being nervous watching it. Nervous. It was one of the those tapes because I can't. I can't. I couldn't handle hul Cogan being a bad guy, right, I couldn't handle it. You know this is so that also puts it in obviously pre ninety six, so we're talking. It must have been ninety two ninety three. That's when I got this tape. I get ninety two ninety three, and it was you know it was. I remember putting it in being feeling very nervous because I number one, if I have this tip, I want Hulk Hogan to win. Number two. I don't know how I'm supposed to feel about Hulk Hogan being being a heel like this match that Hulk Hogan doesn't want you to see that whole thing. It's kind of funny, it's kind of funny. You know what match actually, I think he probably really doesn't want you to see is him facing Andrew the Giant fucking Alabama. That's the match he really doesn't want you to see, apparently because he doesn't want to talk about it ever. Having happened exactly, that would have been the fucking the real uh, the real gem is to have that fucking match. And uh but I remember, I remember putting in, I remember watching I remember how bad the quality, you know, like more or less the quality not compared to ww releases at the time, and we weekly television, And yeah, I'm sure I watched it with one of my friends who I forced to be wrestling fans. Yes, And you know I I because I also I hated Lawler at the time. I mean, I've always hated La Lawler. I don't ever liked Lawler, but I really you know he was he was I would have so again, this puts it in the in the place it would have been nineteen ninety three because I knew who Lawler was and The only reason I knew who Laler was was from really from his I first met Lawler so to speak, doing commentary on Superstars in ninety two, and then through the magazine, through the aftermags and learning about the USWA and whatnot, So I couldn't fathom a Lawler Hogan thing either, let alone the fact I had no idea about like Andy Coffin, and I didn't know what the fuck that was. I did no clue about that at this point, and I had no clue about any other territories. So it was all it was all mind blowing to really see this, And I wouldn't doubt that there's a part of me that probably thought this was WWE at some point. I wouldn't doubt that. I wouldn't doubt that there was a part of my mind that thought that this tape was a WW match that somehow somebody found and released on their own, despite having no you know, despite it not being a WW release. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean, if you watch some of those earliest Coliseum tapes and they're playing matches from the seventies early seventies in the Garden, they looked exactly pretty much exactly exactly, the nondescript rings with no logos or anything or really any color on them. A lot of the old Bruno matches we saw fit that bill. So I certainly I take your point. And yeah, it was just such an interesting time because everybody was releasing these VHS's because the WWF on Hogan's back had had so much success, as we've talked about on the the Scene collection in another forums with Kit Parker through eighty four, five, six, seven, eight, that everybody that could release anything that had anything to do with the hot ticket wrestling acts before they were in the WWF was figuring out ways to package it and sell it on vhs, even over and above the seasoned desist protestations of the WWF in many cases. And so this is definitely a holy grail because by this point, you know, this is around Super Clash eighty eight, This is around all the guys that Vince you know, took all their lunch money and pissed on them. We're all getting together pretending they could do something. Most prominently Jerry Jarrett Memphis. You know, we talked about all that during the life and death of the AWA, and you know, Nick Bockwinkle's coming in through Memphis quite a bit, and they're kind of framing the AWA World Champion as a bigger deal than even the NWA World Champion, even though the Memphis territory was part of the NBA circuit. And you know, Dusty and the Crockets feeling some kind of way about the dominance of Vince McMahon, and so this you can see a tape like this being part of the right part of the strategy, like, yes, we got we've got their guy, We've got their Golden Goose on tape getting a shit beat out of him by Jerry Lawler, and we can just you know, show the clips of him beating the shit out of Hogan with of course a match in totality. And in fact, it's interesting because in eighty one there was quite a fuss made on television, both in Florida where the match played, as well as in Memphis about the nature of this finish. Even before Hulk Hogan went on to bigger and better things. Hogan would go on television as well as we'll address and get to on on Champions pressing from Florida in eighty one, after we'd already been through AWA and WWF for a bit and talking about how Lawler's doctoring the footage up in Memphis. Lawler's doctoring footage this match to make it seem like he did a lot better against Halt than he actually did, and the finish being vita qualification as well.
Speaker 3: I find out that's wacky. That's so crazy, doctoring footage, that's what they claim. But if you are to believe Jimmy Hart, who's about to become part of our story and who actually runs in you recall at the end of that match, that must have weird for you too, to see Jimmy Hart for fear at the end. Yeah, yeah, Like, remind me of what happens.
Speaker 2: It's been a while, So Lawler is covering Hogan and Heart jumps in the ring with basically like a steel pipe and hits Lawla across the.
Speaker 3: Bat and he's right, and he's working on he's working with Hogan. So it's like managing Hogan in eighty one. Trying to remember when see this would have been a whole thing. If I watched in ninety two, this would have been horrifying. But if I'd watched in ninety three, it wouldn't be so bad because he had already joined forces with Jimmy Hart.
Speaker 2: But to it it might not have been very clear to you either, because there really isn't any commentary on this match, so it's not like they're explaining in great detail who's doing what on the Wrestling Gold version of this. But if you recognize Jimmy Hart, this is of course before the airbrust jacket and the megaphone, right before he developed the look that would be his signature. But he started in Memphis under Jerry Lawler, as we'll talk about it, became acquainted with Hulk Cogan for the first time during the run we're about to talk about, which is wow, massively significant for you know, the rest of Hulk Hogan's life and career. As we've talked about endlessly on the show over the years, Hulk and Jimmy till Hulk's dying day were locked at the hip in so many ways. Then that starts here in Memphis, So all of that is going on on the videotape, and there's volleying back and forth on television about Lawler doctoring the footage, and then they rematch do Hogan and Lawler on a show that was not videotaped later on in the summer of eighty one. But we're here in seventy nine and before it's Hogan versus Lawler. I think you'll be surprised to find boss. It's Hogan and Lawler as a tag team.
Speaker 6: Wo.
Speaker 5: What yes?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: Only are they interested in this Terry Boulet, who's becoming a bit of a sensation down in Alabama. The top guy in the territory, Jerry Lawler, is interested in getting some of that shine and bringing him up there and seeing what they do with him. Need to reset the table a bit and revisit some of the things we've already established, because you know, in describing how these two Hulk and Eddie ended up in the Pensacola Gulf Coo Southeastern Territory, we also had to say quite a bit about how Memphis was at the table at the beginning, according at least to Brutus Beefcake.
Speaker 3: I mean, we have talked so many.
Speaker 2: Times about who exactly got Hulk and Eddie out of Cocoa Beach into the wrestling business. Was it a Bob rup was Did Hulk called Bob Roop? Did Hulk call Superstar Billy Graham, like he says, did both of them call Jerry Jarrett first? Did they call Harley Race? That's another name that comes up. But Harley was interested in bringing them in Kansas City.
Speaker 3: Mikeling, Oh my god, who is that? Which one that was that? I should have marked him down? And this is my stick, this is my gimmick that can only be one. Professor Boris Malinga run the plan detail. Oh my god, that's just the greatest, the greatest fucking thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's what's one of the things I'm gonna love. I think about the complete hul Cogan is be at Alabama, Ron Fuller and Oxville and Plan B be it, Eddie Graham and the Briscoes and everybody running Florida and Mike Graham the way they did, U be it here Memphis, Jerry Lawler, Jerry Jerrett. We're going to get into so much history of so many territories Georgia Championship at Jimmy Barnett, that we really probably wouldn't you know. Of course, if TLF played out per traditional format, it would have been hard to ever take a time to say, all right, now's the time to start at the beginning for how Memphis came to be Memphis for instance. You know we're not going to go that deep, but we are going to go deeper than I think we ever had plans to, uh to properly contextualize how Terry Bollett comes up in this circuit. So as Bruce beef Cake said in his book, remember uh, Whitey up in Cocoa Beach, Okay, Whitey Bridges who own the Anchor Club and who opened up the gym, and Terry and Ed he gets married, and he closes the gym that they founded, and closes the Anchor Club and has Don the Dragon Wilson talked to us about for many reasons, not just that a business wasn't well had to get on fire, but federal agents may have been sniffing around too. So that that ends, and Terry and that are going to head back to Tampa, both being Tampa boys. And yeah, of course Ed ed Leslie in his book takes the credit for suggesting to Hulk that maybe we should give wrestling another try, and had shown interest in it. Hulk could already wrestle a few matches, has talked about in seventy seven in Florida Super Destroyer and Gordon ed. Hulk quickly admitted, yeah, you know, I'm getting the itch back myself. Let's try this, Harley had called them. Harley raised his book.
Speaker 3: In hand the city. Yes, and Harley clearly was I think that's probably what it sounded like. Actually, am what I'd like to do.
Speaker 2: I'd like to sit Harley Race down in nineteen seventy nine, play him the Plan B tape and then get his immediate.
Speaker 3: Ru Oh my god. Oh some ambitious modernfuckers I don't know about.
Speaker 2: I don't know about their matches, but I know mine are real damn right. No, he would have said something like oh fucking so Harley was interested. You know, as talked about, Hogan had some experience with Harley in Florida, and I think it was d Leslie. You said he kind of crushed a few beer cans on Hogan's head while he was forced to drive everybody around. Yes, definitely didn't get vibes from Harley that he was going to be very cooperative with him in terms of elevating him. But at the same time, you know, when Harley gets wind of what Hulks are doing in Alabama, he comes out and has no problem and not only putting him over that first time, but when Hogan showed up as the replacement to save Ron Fuller. But of course, you know, going against him for the world title just six months under the run. Seven months under the run, I wouldn't be seven months because he started in March and it was in July that the match was.
Speaker 3: It was even less than that.
Speaker 2: So Harley clearly knew who Terry Bolea was. Okay, whether he was actually the first or among the many to offer these guys a chance to get into the business after Cocoa Beach went bust, who's to say, But according to ed Leslie, Harley had called. They called him back before they ever even went to Dothan, and it was around this time. They obviously didn't take the offer to go to Kansas City a whole. I think felt it was kind of like Kicktown. We talked about that for the Florida episodes. It's here where they come up. They did to call themselves the Bolder Brothers. You know, this idea that people will fuck with us in the business like they used to if they have to fuck with both of us. And so ed Leslie Royd's hard he grows the handlebar mustache just like Terry.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: And they were considering the Harley offer, according to ed Leslie, but before they take it, they call up Jerry jarreted in Memphis. This is according to ed Leslie as well, and they try to play Harley and Jerry Jared off of each other for the kind of money they can get. One thing we've established all the way back to the Infinities end Days is Terry boleya is going to see if he can make just a few more bucks loving someone in the dust.
Speaker 3: You know, it's very simple, brother, Hon'm we gonna do. What if we play these guys off each other? Brothers them talking turkey about us? Dude, talk turkey, but talk turkey. Brother, this is the earliest talking turkey. You're right, it's all talking turkey. They're playing them off each other. Ed Leslie says that ultimately Jerry Jarrett gave them the better offer. Of course, for those who don't know, Jerry Jarrett the father of Jeff Jarrett. And there's one condition, according to ed Leslie, these two the bolder brothers, have to polish up the act that they're trying to sell Jerry on elsewhere in another territory before he'll bring them into Memphis. He doesn't say go to Ron Fuller and Pensacola specifically, but as we're going to get to it might stand to reason why it would make the most sense to go there if you're going to, you know, be somewhere that has connective tissue to Jerry Jarrett. So Ed claims that Terry was working a little here and there with him while they were running the bar in the gym as far as showing him the ropes and how to wrestle, and showed him pretty much everything he had learned. And he also claims that they got in touch as Ed Leslie with Bob Rup down in Florida. Of course we heard from Bob Rup in his podcast Last Time. He says he never heard another word from Terry Bully ever after being asked to stretch him in the gym in seventy seven when he was breaking in. So I don't know how he could then swing around and be part of trying to get Terry Bulea to come back to Florida afterwards, if that was true. But anyway, there was involvement with Bob Roop and Jim Barnett as well and the according to Ted Leslie, and they sent them to Pensacola. So the way Ed kind of tells it, it was sort of like Bob Roup and Jim Barnett liked the potential of these two and directed them to Ron Fuller in the Southeast Gulf Coast territory. So you take your pick as to who you believe. And if there was this sort of Memphis pre animal to the whole thing, we all know that there's you know, you could just just just close your eyes and point that's you're true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean we can, we can say it having done all the work, we did all the diligence, like there's there's no clarity here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: You hear so often, including Hulk himself, talk about really starting his career as the Hulk in Memphis and the Memphis territory created and Chris and the idea of him as the Hulk that is obviously not true based on the newspaper clips in recent episodes about him being called the Hulk from day one in Alabama. However, if they went to Alabama kind of at the direction of Jerry Jarrett, is it possible to say that that was also sort of part of the Memphis run, because it's just a matter of months before Hogan is taking these side quests off to Memphis, and we'll get into all of the Perhaps the duplicity of one Louis to lay how that Louis was not above serving two masters at the same time without bler masters necessarily not knowing about it or signing off on it, And so that might be a part of the puzzle here as well. It's curious considering Jim Barnett did end up calling Hulk Terry Boulder for someone who was so interested in him at the beginning, Jim Barnett or even use ed Bolea. It appears if he, as Ed Leslie says in his book, fell in love with the look of the Boulder brothers. He never used Dad, And when he got his hands on Terry, he called him Sterling Golden and call him at Boulder. But this is of course where Ed and Terry get the brown Winnebago with the custom air brushing from Whitey Bridges, and they installed the bed in there where the weightlifting equipment used to go that they would transport to the gym.
Speaker 3: It's too good, Oh my god, it's just a fucking just just a bunch of fucking phonies, and they hit the road.
Speaker 2: According to Hulk, they lived on the beach and used the public showers because they couldn't afford hotel room. Meanwhile, Charlie Platt tells us that they had an apartment and there were vials all over the place inside the apartment. You tell me which of the two you believe. But notice how Louis Tilla doesn't factor into ed ed Leslie's version of how they were recruited into the wrestling business out of Cocoa Beach. Hulk says when Whitey closed, he called. Hulk says he called superstar Billy Graham, who referred him to Louis Tillett. But there's no mention of Memphis sending them there first to Louis toi Lett to find polish, no mention of Harley getting in touch first and playing Harley off Jeff Jarrett. There's no mention of all of that in Hult's versions of the story. Hulk says in his book that he wasn't exclusive to Louie Tillette, so he started wrestling for some other outfits, including the Memphis Territory. During the course of nineteen seventy nine, which which definitely tracks when you look at the you know, the public record of his matches like Wrestling data dot Com and in the other data basis of all of Hogan's matches, it's definitely very clear. As we'll talk about here when he sort of branches off and tests the waters in Memphis. The agree to which he did that with Ron Fuller's okay is I think kind of up up for debate. Even hearing Ron Fuller go through it on this podcast, I was still left wondering, like, did he did he okay it or not? You know, was this kind of like something that certainly a lot of his wrestlers were going to Memphis because his brother Rob, the future Colonel Robert Parker was booking up there. But you know, was he giving the okay for Terry Boleya to test those waters? I'm not really sure that was the case, considering how much effort he was putting into the Hulk at that particular point in time. This is what makes fucking wrestling so fucking hard sometimes true, because there's just no it's just there's just so much you know, bullshit, whether it's ego, whether it's it's everyone having a claim to be the one Ah that is owed to the credit for someone else's success.
Speaker 3: That's all it is. And when everyone has to contort the story in a way to benefit the people they like, stop for God's sake.
Speaker 2: Benefit the people they want to have the credit at the expense of the people they do not want to have the credit based on grudges that develop over forty years after all this happens. That's where you get such a complicated sup you know, you think with all these shoot interviews and this whole business that's arisen up of shoot books and stuff, that we would have clarity, But we actually have twelve versions of every story instead of putting all the versions together for one clean version of what happened. So it's like, you tell me, that's why tof exists because we just have the free format to tell you everything, and you make your choice because it's not going to do you any good to pretend that you can land on a truth here.
Speaker 3: It's just not. The wrestling business isn't set up that way. And if you ask me who's responsible for hul Coogan getting back into the wrestling business, it's everybody you've ever heard of in your life. Okay, everybody, everybody Hulk.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, if he's going to claim in his book he wasn't exclusive to Louis Tilltt. He also claims in his book that he worked briefly for Jim Barnett in nineteen seventy eight, which he hadn't even returned to the rest of the business.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Fuck, this is in seventy eight. He was in Coco Beach and expressly out of the wrestling business. But he claims he got the name Sterling Golden in nineteen seventy eight from Jim Barnett. And I'm still flummixed as to Ron Fuller's recollections that there was a whole, you know, dispute between Hogan's initial manager, Billy Spears and him over calling him Sterling Golden on Southeast Pensacola television shows. You know, you know, that whole thing, like he was getting right. It's like, there's no Charlie Platt said it to us when we talked to him. He was never called Sterling Golden in Southeast He does not remember that name at all. And he was the guy announcing all the television shows, booking a lot of the towns for Ron Fuller and really presiding over the immersions.
Speaker 3: Of the Hulk. Unless he was drunk the whole time, we don't know, I mean, just just amazing. Here we go. Now we're going to turn to uh to Hogan's Okay, this is the Hulk Cogan version of the World, The World according to Terry part one his initial book. That's what I should have been called. The World according to Terry. That'd be fantastic. It was in Tennessee that I became known as Terry the Hulk Boulder No it wasn't. No, and won my first heavyweight championship belt. Not really, well wait was Terry was he?
Speaker 6: Was he?
Speaker 4: Yeah? No?
Speaker 3: Wait what was he? Yeah? He was right? Okay, all right, trying to think I was trying to think that he was. He was Terry Boulder, right, But he wasn't just a hulk, yes, okay, right, he was the whole You know.
Speaker 2: There were plenty of newspaper ads where he was simply advertised as the Hulk, but as Charlie Platt told us, he remembers expressly being told to never refer to him as just the Hulk and always needs to be Terry the Hulpe Boulder so that Marvel Comics doesn't come after us.
Speaker 3: So funny.
Speaker 2: So it's very clear he was called Terry the Houlpe Boulder there, but yet he says it was in Tennessee he became known as Terry the Hope Boulder. Again, part of that very strange whitewashing of this hugely influential first seven months of his return wrestling in Alabama and the things he's doing with Van Fuller and Andre the Giant and Harley Race that he just never talked about once in any of his books, in any of his interviews. You think it's gonna be, You think it's something also, like I don't know, like you know how how Bischoff can't ever say that it was it was you know that the nWo was was at post toly we like because of the legal thing, Like so.
Speaker 3: He can't ever say that. I don't know, like I don't know that that Hogan's got a similar thing where that he can't actually ever say it because legally he'll you know, Marvel's like you fucking say this will fucking kill you, yeah type thing. You know, I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: I'd imagine at some point he became rather paranoid about how far back Marvel could claim they were violating his copyrights. And in Memphis, he's got a Jerry Jarrett who's willing to say I created the Hulk name. And so this is before Ron Fuller had a podcast or had a book anything like that. So it probably made sense to point to the other guy that could take the blame for calling him the Hulk in a cliance of copyright. That's just one thought that I had. But the thing is, it doesn't stretch that much further back. I mean, it's all in seventy nine. It's not like if he acknowledges Alabama happened all of a sudden, there's three four more years of IP violations that he's presiding over. But I mean, it's as clear as day when you look at the newspapers. Man, I mean, he's fucking he's called the Hulk from day one all over the place and advertised it such. You've established that beyond a reasonable doubt, and so beyond any doubt, fuck reasonable doubt, it's right there. He says, I wasn't Hulk Cogan quite yet, but I was getting there. It was also in Tennessee that I started using a boot in the face and a leg drop as a finish. This, of course is not true. He would drop the leg, but it was not his finish, as we're about to make very clear. Yes, if I'm not mistake, and if you remember Boston, that Wrestling Gold eighty one match with Lawler at the Mid South Coliseum, I think he drops the leg as well, and it's not the finish.
Speaker 3: I think so too. Yes, I think you're right. Nobody else, he writes, was using the leg drop at the time, so it set me apart a little from the other guys. It also protected I wasn't using the leg drop. For God's sake.
Speaker 2: I can find a million matches where people are doing leg drop. They weren't doing it with as much height, necessarily with as much as his ass.
Speaker 3: As he always says too, like, no one did it like he does it where he lands on his tailbone, and and I agree with that. I mean, he definitely does a lot of people like will More. You know, you end up on your back, like you don't end up in that perfect, you know, ninety degree angle like he did. I mean, that's it's crazy actually that he did that for so long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are some really wild action shots of him in full extension at his size with big time height off that mat. Yeah, it was kind of wild the way he did it. It really was, and it's even wilder that he did it for years and it wasn't finish. It was just a spot in his right. But as we'll get to the renular Memphis is one, Hulk really starts to get a little like ambitious about what he can and can't do in the ring. You know, you got a wrong fuller saying you just bear hug, that's it. You're too green to do much else. And he starts getting getting a little bit of an itch to try more as he starts to develop. Here in seventy nine, he writes, the leg drop also protected my left knee, which had been a nagging problem for me ever since junior high school. It would get a lot worse as time went on, So even before Matt Souder broke it.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack and carn Seo MJP Soro. It's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast.
Speaker 2: So this was nineteen seventy nine, right. According to Hogan, this is all seventy nine. One night in this I saw Jerry Lawler put a pile driver on comedian Andy Kaufman. What then lawa Andy Kaufman showed up on the David Letterman Show, Lawler slapp Kaufman and Kaufman through coffee and Lawler's face. All of a sudden, Andy Kaufman began showing up on wrestling cards on a constant basis. I didn't understand why they let a guy like Andy Kaufman get into the ring of right.
Speaker 3: Stop saying Kaufman Hogan, stop saying it said fucking like eight times in a matter of two sentences.
Speaker 2: Get ready, you take a swig of garage beer every time, especially after I worked so hard to pay my dues. Look, I'm not saying you didn't get tortured, and but you'd fucking quit the business in like four months, and then you walk into these main events.
Speaker 3: Not only that, not only that, Kaufman's a fucking megastar, Like he's not He's not a wrestler, he's a TV star, right, whole different thing. Like he's making you, as an unknown wrestler, have to work to fucking make money. He doesn't have to do that. He's gonna make money by showing up because people know who he is. Very basic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just hit upon another one. Maybe Hulk doesn't want to acknowledge the Gulf Coast Run and the Andre and Harley matches because it would push against this idea that he spent all this time paying dues because he paid no dues. He paid no dues right after getting the shit end of the traveling circuit in seventy seven and having to drive all over the place and you know, basically getting you know, initiated and what's the word, you know, rasmataz. He he comes back in seventy nine and he's he's instantly getting all kinds of you know, all kinds of incredible feature feature roles and all kinds of incredible you know upside And he's immediately being positioned to somebody who has to do barely nothing, learned, barely anything about being in the ring and headlining a territory against some of the biggest names in the industry, including the NBA champion. So if he starts his life and his career only at Memphis, now he's the Boulder Brothers and while he he's close to the main events in Memphis, he's still kind of being introduced as you know, a tag team act. It still seems like he has yet to taste singles glory. It can feel like he's still paying his dues. But if you have the full sense as we do now of what he did in Alabama before he came to Memphis, you know, in a coincident with his very first brief trip to Memphis and the first seven months of seventy nine, you know that it's total bullshit that he's paying his dues. He's fucking getting the prince treatment. He is getting the best push I've ever heard of.
Speaker 3: In the wrestling business, considering his level of experience beside Goldberg. I mean, it's the same thing. It's amazing he's wrestling under the Giant in fucking March or whatever it was in May of seventy nine. So maybe maybe that's what it is. Maybe, Uh, it makes it seem like he didn't pay, he didn't pay his due so much if he acknowledges he did all this, I don't know who cares, Like I know, I'm sure to.
Speaker 2: Put myself in this guy's head. That's the whole mote, that's the whole thing here. What did Charlie Platt say, Lord, forgive me. We're playing an armbre psychologist with the dad here. Yes, and I'm okay with that. Yeah, that's kind of the idea. But I was young and green in those days. I thought wrestling was about having a good match, getting a six pack of beer, and picking up a girl. It didn't occur to me that they were trying to draw money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, bullshit, bullshit didn't occur to me. We're trying to draw money. Meanwhile, you're playing Jared off Ron Fuller for a couple exactly. You're fucking working at the bank, fucking find out how much these guys make. Jesus Christ. You know what it's about drawing money? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: You know, Hogan, if anything significant happened in the business while he was in it, he has to manufacture a story where he was party to it, if not responsible for it. And the whole coat pardon me. The Jerry Lawler Andy Kaufman signature feud that took place in Memphis in the early eighties is no exception.
Speaker 3: He writes.
Speaker 2: I remember a time in the old Chicago Amphitheater when I was working for Jerry Lawler and Jerry Jarrett that really throws one off. Why would they be running Verns building?
Speaker 3: But there was some.
Speaker 2: When I happened to walk in in a meeting in the dressing room, Waller was there, Jarrett was there, in any ca Offin was there. It was like walk into a Pentagon meeting. I knew I needed to back right out because I wasn't.
Speaker 3: Well walking in a Pentagon meeting. Oh Man.
Speaker 2: Later on, I passed Andy Kauffman in the hallway. I didn't know him, but I didn't think it would hurt to be friendly, so I said a load to him. His eyes opened real wide, and he looked at me like he was scared of death, scared to death, well of him to death, scared to death, fell for death death.
Speaker 3: I believe you. I believe he was scared of death. I believe that. Yeah, like you thought I was going to kill him on the spot. He was out of his element, I guess, and he didn't know what to expect. Okay, okay, what this happened in nineteen eighty two. The Jerry Lawler Andy Kaufman stuff was there in seventy nine, right, and then he did the Lawler match and a few other things. In the first half of eighty one. Unless I am mistaken, there was simply no way these two timelines crossover. I'm agreeing with you. I don't think it's happened.
Speaker 2: Why Why does this guy have to feel like he was part of in talkin and Cherry Lawler's thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Can't he can't stand that he doesn't have something to do with it? Right now? I want to. Uh, It's like it's like, didn't he say something about the North Korea that show? Didn't he say something about that? Didn't he draw? Or did we make that up? Did he say he drew more people than that and something? Or he was going to be on that show or something like that. Yeah, Now what he says is, you know, he was talking on a video about how Brett Hart never drew one hundred fifty thousand of the Buddhacon Oh right, that's what yep, yep.
Speaker 2: And it's like people interpret that as him and I would not put a past Hulk trying to do this on the sly interpreted that as him trying to get across to the listener or the viewer of the documentary. I think it may have been a confident segment, kind of think of it that he was the one that did one hundred and fifty thousand at the Budacan, which, of course it's not the Budhkan. It's the fucking national arena in South and North Korea, right, it's not the fucking Boudakan Hall in Tokyo.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: And what he was I think trying to say. I think what he would say if confronted with that is I wasn't saying I drew a hundred and fifty thousand. I'm saying he never did. I'm saying he's not on the level of someone who did, which would be I guess you could say Antonio and Oki and Rick Flair, even though those stadiums would have been full if Antonio and Oki wrestled Coco.
Speaker 3: Beware Coco be wareing fucking Jim Powers may have vent it well, Andoki I think was key, but I don't think most of those people had any choice but to go to that fucking show.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: That's pretty well accepted by now. Uh So, Yeah, that's that's another.
Speaker 2: Put that one in the in the scrap book of Hogan Tall tales over the years. So he says all this about Lawler and Kaufman, but he also says later elsewhere in the books, and when I wrestled for Jim Barnett, I was Stirling Golden, and I wrestled for Lawler and Jared, I was Terry the Hulk Boulder. But no matter what name I used, one thing stayed the same. I wasn't making very much money. I was wrestling seven days a week, which translated into ten matches, two on Wednesday, two on Saturday, and two on Sunday. And the biggest check I ever got for a whole week was one hundred and twenty five dollars my mom's kitchen. I was Terry Bulea.
Speaker 3: If you're trying to keep track, I got tired in a hurry. Brother.
Speaker 2: After every one of my little rouns, i'd gone home in Tampa. I'd wait for one of the promoters to call me. Finally, one time I went home and stayed home. As far as I was concerned, I was done with professional wrestling. But in his second book, it's the money in Alabama that's too short and causes him to go to Memphis, or rather Louis to let sparks the idea. There's certainly no meeting with Jerry ahead of time to send him to work out the gimmick in Alabama.
Speaker 3: You think that that's also because it's a we book that there's like they're they're combing through to make sure that it fits their narrative as well.
Speaker 2: The first one, yeah, or Hulk is only trying to put forward things that would fit the narrative because he knows who he's doing the book for. And the second book is a little more of a fuck Vince book, you know for sure, right, And I'm gonna say a lot more about the steroid trial and a lot more about you know, pressure being put on me and all that.
Speaker 3: So, so what is it? Did you leave?
Speaker 2: Did you leave Memphis because you weren't happy with the money you were making? Or did you go to Memphis because you weren't happy with the money you were making? And that's why it gets so difficult when you don't want to talk about the Alabama run, because it's also why I get difficult when you don't fucking tell the truth. So in the second book, he says, a few months out of this routine, this is to say, this is part of what we've already talked about, the routine of going back and forth with Louis Toilette and Alabama about how strong he's going to be booked. Because, to make it abundantly clear, in his second book, he does talk about Alabama. He doesn't talk about ever wrestling. Andre does never talk about wrestling Harley or any of the m key stuff. But he does talk about it. He acknowledges it happened. And why do we just decide why he like or do we hypothesize rather why he would not talk about wrestling Harley? No, I'm just wonrying why that? You know, it's one thing Andre, I get the Andre story. You want to make it seem like, you know, they didn't wrestle until w W and that was the first time in But why Harley, why?
Speaker 7: Why?
Speaker 3: Why are you hiding Harley? He had no one hads Daddy hides the NWA title match you had with him in nineteen eighty three, right like the kil auditory in Saint Louis. I mean, I guess, I guess. I mean, the only thing I can think of is it?
Speaker 1: Is it? Is?
Speaker 8: It?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 3: Kind of it kind of hurts the narrative of him going to WWE because he couldn't win the AWA title. Interesting you know, like because if he's going for the NWA title, because they they you know, up until this, I always think of the first world title shots you ever got were AWA. But if he's getting world title shots in nineteen seventy nine against the NWA champion, it's like, well, why didn't he go to w VN Like why why is there all of a sudden? I mean, obviously the the Rocky you know movie is is a huge thing, but I don't know, I'm wondering why. That's the only thing I can think of. Why Why why Harley Race has never mentioned because you'd think that would be a big fucking deal to talk about, considering he never wrestled them ever, maybe as the King, maybe on a Sataennus madehim in or something like that, but not Harley in his prime, Like i'd fucking talk about that. Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: I think Hogan has a clear idea of all the superstars he wrestled, of where he wants to introduce them in his story. Yeah, yeah, he you know, he has to wrestle Harley after Harley had threatened him and showed up at the WWF show backstage, after Vince had begun the National expansion, apparently with a gun saying you're not coming to Kansas City. That was one of Hogan's favorite stories to tell whenever Harley Race came up. And so the story continuing on that Harley had to come to work for WWF and wrestle Hulkan in WWF and and sort of come under the tent and under Hulk's thumb, I think is a much more satisfying way for help to talk about Harley then to acknowledge that Harley did a lot for him early on, and they were not chummy but certainly understood each other's drawing power, and that he had had plenty of cooperative, mutually beneficial arrangements with Harley Race before this this conflict and this confrontation in the WWF. So you can't, like, I think, to keep alive the electricity of the story that Harley showed up with the gun and was this outsider. He's got to make Harley kind of like this guy that hated him from the minute he got into the business, you know, because he would talk, he would he would allude to Harley being among the people that were kind of hard on him when he first got in the business. So it doesn't really compute then to go on and say, well, you know, he he gave you a title shot when you were three months into the business and has sold out football stadium. You know, he sold out Saint Louis with you for the NBA Championship. There was clearly a lot of apparently he was interested in booking you when you came off Coco Beach. According to ed Leslie, so how does this, you know, how does all this animosity that you're talking about and all this fear that you're talking about that he that he got across compute with the fact that you know, you knew each other extremely well by this point in time. That's just my guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, as he says again in his second book, having acknowledged now that he was in Alabama at all, he's talking about how they were going back and forth about getting a payday, increasing his pay and he writes a few months into this routine, Louis to Lett made a big mistake. I'm booking you out this Monday night. He told me, I want you to go up to Memphis. So here's Hulk in the second book saying that while he was working for Louis to Let in Alabama. It was Louis to let himself boss. Okay, who says I want you to go to Memphis? Okay, wasn't Ron Fuller saying it was Louis Tillett. So that's Hogan's version of how he ended up going to Jerry Jarrett, none of this pretense of like Jerry sent us here to polish the gimmick up. By this time, I had started to understand the wrestling business a little more, Hulk writes. I had picked up on things. I didn't have those.
Speaker 3: Blinders on like I did when I first started in Florida, And I knew that Memphis could be a major stepping stone to wrestling in New York City. Which is it terry? Which is it terry? Well? What do you mean? Which is what? Did not making enough in Alabama make you throw your hands up and go back to Tampa? Like you said in your first book, you're not making it up in Memphis? Or did you know or did you know Memphis was a stepping stone in New York? I mean, did you go home and say fuck the business? Or were you thinking this is a way to get to New York? It can't be both? What why not who said it's both? Who who said it's not both? Who's who says brother? I mean, I'm just Bro, I'm just I'm just I'm just trying to make a living, dude, trying goodbye. Maybe John can help us.
Speaker 7: Maybe.
Speaker 2: Of course, Jerry Jared has done a series of shooting interviews. He did a book called The Best of Times where he kind of talks about, you know, kind of in snapshot for Matt a lot of the most important things he presided over. And there's a little section about dealing with Terry Bully and I think might provide some clarity or at least a different set of eyes on how this all came together. Surely, his book The Best of Times, he has very detailed recollections, and he's very detailed in his recollections of how he handled the biggest box office attraction out boss.
Speaker 3: I always think his but his, it's it's a it's JJ Dillon's book. That's got the weird fucking title, right, Oh, wrestlers are like seagulls. Christ that's an idiot. Read on to find out what he means by fucking moron? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 8: Or not?
Speaker 3: How about that? All right? Harris want and convey what Jerry Jarrett recalls for us about bringing Terry Bulla in. Terry Boleya was never a great wrestler, but I doubt he will ever be surpassed as to fan appeal. When judging the box office appeal of wrestler, you must factor in more than the total dollar amount. Hulk Hogan was go The was was oh to the w W what Jerry Lawler was to Jarrett Promotions. If either was not on the top position they enjoyed, one could question if the results would have been the same. In spring nineteen seventy nine, Louis Tillette called me and said he had a giant of a man in Florida who wanted to become a professional wrestler. Louis said the man was currently playing bass in a band in Tampa. I asked, stop doing that. I mean, Jesus Christ like that. That's that's not even that's not even hard to figure out. For God's sakes, it stopped all that night running the Anchor Club. Oh, he was working the bar whatever I mean. I don't think he was doing any rock and roll with that. No, I don't think everyone seemed to think it was say it was over you know. I asked him how much experience the guy he's had, and Louis said none. That is why I'm calling you, I replied. I replied, thanks, but no thanks. Louis then got my attention. He said, Jerry, this guy has more potentially than anyone I've ever seen the business. You can make a millions after you teach him the fundamentals, just say I look at him. Terry is willing to drive to Hendersonville just to just for you to look at him. Well, what can I lose with this proposition? So we set a date in time. I was sitting in my home on the lake in Hendersonville, and Deborah was at the sink in the kitchen, not Deborah, Michael. Deborah was at the sink in the kitchen. Okay, from the window at the sink, one could see the driveway in front of our house. Deborah said, Jerry, a big blond headed guy that is bigger than Andre at the giant is standing in the front of our house. Brother. What Brother? I went out and was impressed beyond belief, was impressed beyond what Louis. I went out and was impressed beyond what Louis had expected. What that makes no sense. We walked into the house and sat down at the table and I began to get to know Terry. After about an hour of conversation, he said he had not eaten all day. Wow, where did you think this was going? Well? You got food, dude, food dude, the food dude, Terry Boley, Terry Bowlia they I mean, look, if I wouldn't do uh postumania, I would do like you know, bowle a like absolutely, yes, yes, yes, yes, Terry Terry and a bolia is what I would definitely call it a lotting all day dude.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 3: And if he if I would mind him going to get a bite to eat, I asked Debora if she would run and pick up some burgers. Terry ordered whoppers. I mean I also loved to Okay, so so they're not even like something going to a burger. They're just going to fucking burger getting fast food. Like they're not even getting like food, They're getting fast food. Terry ordered six whoppers, three large fries, and two large cokes. I laughed, and we went out to get a whopper or something. I think that's a key find. Yes, yes, Terry Boulder loved whoppers. Oh, absolutely, look, he would fall in love with whoppers for the rest of his life. Listen, listen, I mean that's honestly, that should have been his nickname. He ate him and he told him that's the damn right he he he ordered six whoppers. He also told six whoppers while they were waiting for the food. I love him over ordering. Oh my god, that's it. That's perfect. It's perfect. Just you just imagine like the flame broiled patty like and the onion seeping into his steroided body. Dude, get me hungry, for God's sakes, like a big fucking hulking, like muscled up like I mean, I mean, it's smelling like a whopper. Look, I can tell you right now. Okay, like I the I've never ordered two whoppers. Okay, I've had a double whopper and I have even had a triple whopper back in the day when they had it that this is a fucking thing that Omar and I would get, would get a fucking triple whopper something over Thanksgiving to kind of like expand our stomachs for the fucking for the big day. Would get a triple whopper the night before Thanksgiving. But like, I've never ordered you know I can at least I can at least rationalize the idea of a double whopper because you're getting at least two two beef patties. You're not getting two sandwiches. You know, you're getting the sand amunt of bread you will, but you're getting double the beef. He's ordering six, thank you, So basically twelve slices of bread, if you will, all right with six burghers. He didn't say if they were with cheese, though, so I'm very curious. I think they were. I'm sure they were. I always hated that whopper with cheese. Like they asked you, if you want cheese, of course you want fucking cheese. I know, what are you fucking? What are you fucking rates in a barn? Just have me say, without cheese, cheese, right exactly, assume assume you want the cheese, Like, no, no, fucking no, fucking you know, self respecting individual goes and gets a whopper without cheese. Fuck's sake? What is wrong with people? Six whoppers? Six whoppers? I laughed and told him that other than Andre Andrea, I'd never seen I've never eaten with a giant. I called Mike Shield, our cameraman, who ran up. I got a guy here was eating six whoppers for God's sake, got a goddamn camera over. We gonna film the shit. He said that, he said, called my child cameraman, who ran our production department and acts hip, to bring his equipment and come to the house. Yep. After dinner, Mike, Terry and I went downstairs, and flying off the cuff, produced one of the best videos I had made up up to that time. Later Lance Russell added audio, and that video alone sold out the Mid South Colisseum. The very first time Hulk Hogan appeared, we simply began the shot at his feet and slowly brought the camera up, and then a wider shot in which Terry did his poses, flexing his muscles. These poses later became the trademark when he entered the ring. I hired Terry that day at the house, and he returned to Florida to get his clothes. We took the fucking walk up there naked. He took the tape to me. We took the tape to Memphis, added music and the voiceover, and as they often say, the rest is history. After we felt that Hulk had his had run his course in Tennessee. I explained that because of his size, it would be difficult to stay forever in a territory that has small wrestlers. I explained that Vince mcmahonsior a WWE had big men, and I felt he would do great up there. I called Vince send in the video. After a short run for Vince Senior and a longer run with Verne Gagny's a Toba, Vince Junior brought Hulk back into the w W and as they say, the rest is history. So okay, So so.
Speaker 2: Another person who is to be credited with every hot after his first couple of territories apparently, well, I mean there's no time like now to listen to the video that he's talking about. So as we listen to this queue up, if you could on your son ready, h you need to picture I mean you really do? You have to picture this being in his basement after the whoppers. Okay, I think that the very important that's Keith. See if you can find like, uh, formations in his stomach of burgers or sesame seed buns or something like that. Yeah, I think the sesame seed bun is kind of an important thing to think about when we picture the state of the man. So if you can just move, I'm going to make sure we have the same video here and that we're starting at the same point. Yeah we are, okay, so Wi you go ahead to six seconds. So this video premiered, as we'll get to in more detail later on this episode or in this installment of the complete Hulk Cogan during a Lance Russell interview at the WMC TV studios with Eddie Boulder, as we'll get to eventually, Eddie Boulder makes a television appearance here first before this Hulk Cogan vignette airs, And what's asked backwards about what Jerry Jared is saying is that this vignette premiered after after Hulk had already done his initial appearances and matches in Memphis.
Speaker 3: Wow, like a month and a half after.
Speaker 2: So the idea that this vignette was the first thing anyone had ever heard of as it regards Hulk is just wrong.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The agree to which his presence was played up and framed as this supernatural thing and that very first abbreviated run in Memphis is another question entirely. You know, they didn't set him up on television as coming in the same way because he was still essentially in Southeast and was just coming for a couple of weeks. Here, this is the vignette they play when they know they have Terry Boulder and Ed Boulder for a more prolonged period of time, for more of a run, as you would say. But this idea, they had already talked about Terry the Hulk Boulder in Memphis television. He had already tagged team with Jerry Lawler, for Christ's sakes, So it's not like people hadn't heard of this guy before. But here we go at the six second mark, and you can find this very easily on YouTube. Sure, this is the vignette that Jerry Jarrett was describing, and we can hit play in three two one.
Speaker 3: Play.
Speaker 6: Is not a television illusion. He is not an artist conception. He is not a figment of the imagination.
Speaker 10: Is real.
Speaker 6: He stands an amazing six foot seven inches tall. He weighs an incredible three hundred and twenty four pounds. He is the Hulk, the Wow, the Hulk, without a doubt, is the most awesome figure in professional wrestling today. His measurements are almost unbelievable. His neck measures twenty four and three quarter inches, His chest expands to an incredible fifty nine inches, his biceps are twenty six inches, and at the end of these powerful arms are two to twelve inch fists. This magnificent body tapers off to only a thirty four inch waste. The Hulk is supported by treelike legs that can leg press over nineteen hundred pounds. Combine these amazing measurements with more brute strength than you can imagine, and you have the.
Speaker 3: And the Hulk is coming here. Pause there. Okay, So for those who don't have the benefit of watching the video, Boss, explain to the people what you just saw. I mean, it's a I mean, it's very much what Jared describes in his book. It's a very dimly lit set, obviously his basement, and you see, you know, you've got these these very very almost noirsh like lighting where there's a lot of heavy shadows and stuff you don't really see. You can't even see a clear shot of Hogan's face. You just his his eyes are heavily shadowed and whatever. And he's just posing. He's doing the Hull Cogan. I mean, he's doing a mix of Hogan posing but also doing the your your your typical body building competition posing, right, He's not doing the stuff he do in WWF. Would like the hand out stretched with the cuffed hand next to that he did Oh no, well no, he kind of did that. He kind of did that that kind of It's not the posing, it's not the baby face posing routine. It's the look at this monster.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: It is exactly like you're saying, it's like the pumping iron routine, right, exactly exactly, but.
Speaker 2: It is definitely highlighting the musculature and that lighting does serve to enhance it. And the shock of blonde hair really stands out because they silhouette essentially like you were saying, his face, yeah, and I mean he's got his full you know, he's still got he's still got hair on the top of his head. He's not yet the hull Cogan bald, right.
Speaker 3: And I don't know.
Speaker 2: We covered the whole under the cinemat for a reason. Music there, that kind of funky little sci fi music. I think I know what they're going for.
Speaker 3: They're going exactly for that, and they're you know, when you call them the Hulk, you are trying to you are trying to get people to think of Luf for Riigno, thank you hands down, and that apparently was accomplished. And if you have any doubt about that. As we get into some of the materials we've gathered for this installment of the complete Hulk Hogan, particularly some of the artwork that would appear on some of the Memphis programs, the Hulk was appearing on the typeface that they would use for Hulk leaves absolutely no doubt that they were just like, let's do a television version of the Hulk. At Ron Fuller and Charlie Platt said they did the same thing. So it's not like Memphis was the first, despite the representations that we've conveyed already on this episode, to really lean into presenting this guy is essentially the Hulk from television. Memphis was famous for this. They were famous for using copyrighted music and music videos without any semblance of permission or licensing. You got to remember, I mean it's it's operating in one television market in one part of the country relative to the major media markets. It's a small market, though very powerful when it came to influencing the local populace, and the share ratings were out of this world in terms of how much of the city of Memphis was watching a lot of this Saturday Morning wrestling on WMCTV, and you know, you just have a situation where they can get away with it.
Speaker 2: Paul Ham into the exact same thing in ECW when they were under the radar using copyrighted music without permission all the time and producing some of the stuff that's most well remembered now that is necessarily copyrighted music. We heard there, but it's certainly a copyrighted concept that they are not shying away from presenting. So Jerry Jarrett says in his book that that was a voiceover from Lance Russell that very clearly was not Lance Russell by any stretch of the imagination. That was a local radio voice it's still active in the area in Alabama, called Michael Saint John Really Yeah. Upon the passing of hul Hogan, he was interviewed by one of the local stations out there recollecting what it was like to put this famous video together.
Speaker 11: It started out with it's not an optical illusion.
Speaker 6: This man is not a television illusion.
Speaker 11: It's not a TV trick.
Speaker 6: He is not an artist conception.
Speaker 12: I mean this is this is this guy?
Speaker 3: He is the Hulk.
Speaker 12: Before Hulk Hogan became one of the WWE's most iconic stars, Holmesville native Michael Saint John helped introduce him to the wrestling world.
Speaker 11: In reality, it was his first debut on television as the Hulk.
Speaker 12: Hogan made an immediate impression on Saint John when he arrived for his debut at Memphis Wrestling in nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 11: And he starts getting out of the car, and he keeps getting out of the car, and he keeps getting out of the car, and Debora Jarrett turned to me and she said, Oh my god, this is the biggest guy I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 12: As an on air personality. For the promotion, it was Saint John's job to help HiPE up Hogan's first appearance and.
Speaker 6: The Hulk is coming here.
Speaker 3: Boy.
Speaker 11: Within about twenty five minutes, I went into the production room at the radio station and produced the audio on the video that you now see.
Speaker 12: Saint John was paid twenty five dollars to write, narrate, and pick music for a video segment. It's become a piece of wrestling history.
Speaker 11: When I did it, I didn't think it was, you know, I thought it was going to be shown in our territory and that was about it, and didn't think anything of it.
Speaker 6: His measurements are almost unbelievable.
Speaker 12: It's been seen around the world, and especially this week. After Hogan passed away on Thursday at age seventy one.
Speaker 11: I was sad because I think we lost the biggest figure in the history of professional wrestling. Nobody else in the business I don't think ever achieved or got to the plane that hul Cogan did.
Speaker 9: There's all kind of hull Comania's running a Whild's.
Speaker 12: But Saint John met him before Holkomania ran wild or he went Hollywood.
Speaker 11: They played the video and he shook his head, smiled, liked it. I mean, but he's very quiet. I mean that, if anything, the persona that he ended up being was the antithesis of what I meant him.
Speaker 12: It was the beginning of creating a larger than life character who now stands the test of time.
Speaker 11: And I guess someday I'll sit back and say that was a pretty cool era.
Speaker 12: With coverage you could count on. I'm Trevor denton Way thirty one.
Speaker 2: Sports Michael Saint John Today owns a radio station, Huntsville's fifteen to fifty W A a Y and is something of an Alabama broadcasting legend. Twenty five bucks boss to voice that one over.
Speaker 13: Wow, I fucking nipped off. I don't yeah, seriously, you talk about residuals. And that was the first time he was ever called a Hulk on national on television. He said, right, yeah, okay, thank you. I'm glad you noticed that. So there's a big fucking lie there every time, every time somebody claims to have called Hulk Hog and the Hulk for the first time. Take a shot as well. Take a swig of garage beer down in Memphis.
Speaker 3: I will make it fifteen minutes. I'll be out.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 2: In Memphis, they were actually making that kind of a little personality vignette a staple of how they would present wrestling and how they would introduce new acts, and Michael Saint John would provide the voice for a lot of it, no matter how alarming. So we're gonna hit just a few more to get a sample of how what we just heard relative to Hulk Hogan is is not just some innovation they came up with just to spotlight Terry Boulder, but it was part of a kind of a theme of how they would introduce new acts. I don't know if you've ever seen this before, boss, but one of them think so. One of the other acts that the Jerry Jarrett Jerry Lawler Memphis promotion is credited with bringing to the four is Kamala, which, of course that would go on to be one of Hulk Cogan's best drawing opponents in the WWF in the earliest stages of his nineteen eighty four campaign. And it started here in terms of cross pollinating in the same territory and area as Kamala. And here is the video that they produced in Jerry Jared's backyard, I believe, as opposed to his basement or Kamala, voiced over as well by Michael Saint John. It's on YouTube and so if you have it, I have it.
Speaker 3: I have it. I'm ready to go three two one play?
Speaker 7: Look at this?
Speaker 10: Got it?
Speaker 3: Michael Saint John?
Speaker 6: What say you here?
Speaker 3: Moves the mask? Look at him.
Speaker 4: Nine in his tall yes, eight hundred and eighty five pounds, the fates Man known to professional rough play.
Speaker 10: Today, I'm from the legs, aren't you tree?
Speaker 7: How strong?
Speaker 3: With some of the largest animals known to man.
Speaker 10: Nine inches.
Speaker 3: Come on, come on, you Gundan giant. I love the idea that you show a black man in the woods and obviously he's in Africa. Oh they went big on that. Yeah, so no no hesitance there at all. And this is a guy James Harris from Mississippi, you know, of course, right. But so that's how the world got to know Kamala as well with the the dulcet tones of Michael Saint John laying down the track. There's one more I want to look at it, and it's not because he became any kind of big opponent to Hultkoguner became famous, but just because I think you're really going to enjoy the visage of a character that was briefly introduced called Apocalypse. Similar vignette. So if you've pulled up that video, I have it, we'll play it, and I want you to pay close attention to what you're about to see, Okay, for the visuals and extact what you're about to see three two one play Apocalypse. Yes that's on YouTube as one. Okay, Apocalypse. Wow, that's what they're going to be saying. I want you to take a look at this guy jar Yard's backyard again. Yep, no permission is this music at all? Exactly? Oh no, it's like a guy in the camera.
Speaker 7: And the books. But get ready, the face what aspurcha for the brush faws out of a tree?
Speaker 3: Look at this face that the fun I mean it. I think.
Speaker 7: Should have gone in with a knife and his mouth running.
Speaker 6: Webster's Dictionary defines apocalypse as me and uncovering a revelation that happens why this athelete has chosen that name to enter.
Speaker 3: The ring back collapse.
Speaker 6: He was trained by the Special Tactics Force at the US Marine Corps, and later he too trained others.
Speaker 3: Then to his profession.
Speaker 6: A black collapse, A true master of hand to hand combat one experts feel a martial artists.
Speaker 3: It's as memrine court.
Speaker 6: Champion in Kawai Judo another martial arts combat collapse, and so does services to several third.
Speaker 10: World names.
Speaker 8: Disaster his services for whoever pays his feet collapse. Now he's returned to the home country to offer him mercenary services to whoever wants them.
Speaker 10: To sell his services to the highest bidder. Apock collapse.
Speaker 6: A mercenary Apocalypse collapse.
Speaker 3: Thoughts, well, Apocalypse Now coming soon under the cinemat number one, I think that qualified. Holy shit.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you don't know, they have these flashes where they just show his red face and his big eyes and he looks he's like a characterrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, horror movie. Yeah, he looks. I mean, he looks kind of like they the the the beast outside the window in the Terror at thirty thousand feet or whatever they the Twilight Zone episode we talked about with the goonies, like that's what he kind of looks like. It's I mean, that is I mean, I mean, I mean he's obviously he's obviously the whole thing is Apocalypse now. The whole fucking thing is Apocalypse now, because I mean it's essentially the whole the you know, he's crazy, like like Marlon Brando is in the movie and the whole Jesus Christ I got. I'm I'm I'm at a loss at that. I see that face and they whispered Apocalypse and they show his face. It's all I can think of, is you, it's something else, It's something you would not be able to go to sleep after scene. No, I mean, honestly, like how the I don't know what like that is. That is disturbing. It is disturbing. I mean because the whole you know, I mean again, it's it's all like the end of the movie. That's all like the end of end of h Apocalypse now, like it's a mix of of everything. But I mean, obviously the the the Wagner music, plus you got the marine thing like that. Not to mention, I imagine that it is somebody who who you know, when they created that character, someone was was obviously on drugs, yeah, which also a a you know, another fucking you know theme of them of the movie. Jesus fucking that is disturbing. So you know, if you think Vince created cartoons and wrestling, like I know, obviously weren't wrestling then in Memphis, And funny, isn't that funny? How like enough that I'm you know, Vince made his fair share of cartoons, but like, you know, it's kind of funny when you really really think about it, like there's there you know, there there was some there was some pretty fucking goofy shit going on. You didn't create Kamala. Jerry Jarrett did, right, And I think it makes all the sense in the world in ninety four and Vince was going down that he handed the reins to Jerry Jarrett. Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But a lot of the promotional style that he had in kind of like this, this cinematic way of introducing over the top characters was mom first by Jerry Jarrett Memphis, and you know, Vince went ninety four there to you know, play heel for the first time. You know, that's something that became much more appreciated as footage of that got on YouTube over the years that Vince first played heel just for the Memphis territory, he clearly had an affinity and a working relationship. The us WA was what you might consider the first territorial pardon me, the first developmental territory the ww have had with Rock and so many others coming through there. Sure, and you know when Jerry Lawler comes in ninety two, that's huge. I mean the way that they worked hand in glove with them and Smoking Mountain Wrestling, it was like those were the sort of the preferred promotional and developmental partners of the WWF in the nineteen nineties for Vince, So you can definitely see him, you know, he had those Jerry, Jerry stuck about those hours long conversations. They would have Vince and Jerry Jared on the phone on Sunday nights talking about the business and how to go about it and how to approach it. And he calls him in when he needs someone perhaps run the show if he goes to jail. So I think a lot of the things that you can paint the WWF with. When Vince finally gets his hands on the controls and gets Hulk in there, Jerry Jarrett had already run a ton of dry runs that procrrectly this is how it looks and feels. Jerry Jarrett was essentially one of the first innovators with the aforementioned Mike Shield of music videos set to highlights of wrestlers to introduce them. Wonderful way to introduce he set them to a popular pop song, which again he had absolutely no permission to use, and it made these guys sensations before they even came into the territory because people saw them not just wrestling, but you know, sort of living in the world, driving a car, you know, getting attention from girls. World Class picked it up as well and did quite a few very successful music videos with the free Birds and the von Erics and.
Speaker 3: Stuff as well.
Speaker 2: But in a lot of ways it was innovated up there by Jerry Jarrett and Terry Bullay himself was one of the beneficiaries, one of the earliest beneficiaries of it, as you see. But they would do crazy shit it like like a robot and a monster come to life. They would do the fucking do you ever see that that clip of the wrestling Ninja Turtles on a WWF dark match, Yes, that Memphis did that first. Just fucking no permission, Just We're to put the Ninja Turtles in the ring and see what happened.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's so different than fucking you know, than Jim Hurd and Irakna Man, right, for God's sake. So this is the.
Speaker 2: This is the first promotional approach to get their hands on Terry Bullay, if you don't count Ron Fuller down in Southeast. And I think that's very important because he was a cartoon from the beginning. He wasn't just a cartoon when he went to New York.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, as Hulk tells the story about Louis Tullay reaching out to Jerry Jarrett saying I've got this guy. You know, that's perhaps confirmation that Hulk and Ed Boulder did in fact go to Jerry Jarrett first and then was sent to Tulay. But I don't know.
Speaker 2: Here in Jerry's book, you get the intimation that perhaps Louis Tulay was in on on funneling Hulk to Memphis. Eventually, you know, Harry is after an offering Hulk to Jerry on the phone. I could also see such as the Memphis territory was constituted with all these cartoonish and ludicrous gimmicks, them coming up with the Hulk concept before shipping.
Speaker 3: Terry Bolea to Alabama.
Speaker 2: If if indeed said Leslie says, the concept was presented to Jerry before they came into Memphis, and Jerry said, do it somewhere else to polish the gimmick up. Knowing how hot Luke for Rigno was on television and in pop culture at the time, as we talked about Boss, I can see in some ways, you know, there being an idea to have a wrestling Hulk before they even know who would fit the bill. Sure sure comes to this guy, and he did do something similar with Jerry Lawler way back when Jerry Lawler first became a superstar in Memphis as a babyface. Lawler had been introduced to Jerry Jarrett by Jackie Fargo, who was of course the big territorial suit superstar in Memphis and innovator of the Fargo strut which would lead to the Rick Flair strutt and many other struts. And Jackie Fargo was an idol of Jerry Lawler's growing up watching wrestling on television in Memphis. Of course, he was an artist and once got on Memphis television to present some of his art at a very young age. I think he was like seventeen or something, and they said, we've got Jerry Lawler here, Lance Russell in studio to show us some of his drawings of some of the great Memphis wrestling lenonds. And that was kind of his foot in the door for Jerry Lawler, and eventually, you know, he got started. Lawler just like Hogan went to Alabama first. You believe, wow, I did not know that their career has mirrored each other in a lot of ways. And Fine Tune did a bit before he came and truly set down roots and as we'll get to, you know, buying into the Memphis office to the point where it never made any sense for Lawler to go full time anywhere else besides Memphis because he was winning on the back end profits. He was going to make more money there than anywhere else. And Jerry Jared has said that there was a riff over Jerry Lawler not wanting to work a far away town, that Jerry had sent him to Montgomery, Alabama actually and bringing him back. So it's just all these cross currents with how Holt came up as it regards Alabama, and you know, further to the point, it's not like there was an arm's length difference as we've talked about between the Memphis and Alabama offices. Anyway, this also from Jerry Jarrett's book. He says from his actions Nick Golis did Do you know who Nick Goulis is?
Speaker 3: By any chance? Boss? Do you remember that name is very familiar?
Speaker 2: Yes, he was a rather notorious promoter from Memphis before Jerry Jarrett consolidated power in the area. And he was he was notorious because everyone in the business would talk about how shitty his payoffs were and how much of an asshole he was. But in a lot of ways did Jerry Jarrett tell it, and he was in that office from a young, precocious age because his mother, Jerry Jared's mother, Christine Jarrett, used to take tickets and run the office for Nick Goulis. So that was Jerry Jarrett's intro into the wrestling business. His mother basically took a part time job working for the wrestling company running the ticket sales. And yeah, as a young boy, Jerry Jarrett would be in the office kind of observing and eavesdropping on how the wrestling business worked. But to hear Jerry Jarrett tell it, Nick gulas For as notorious as he was and hated as he was, was part of a good cop bad cop dynamic in the Memphis wrestling office at the time. And do you know who the good cop side of the Nick Goulas bad cop side was?
Speaker 3: Roy Welch. Oh, boy, does the Welch name mean anything to you? Yes, okay, I do know that name. That is indeed Ron Fuller's real last name. Yes, they are the Welches, and they descend from Roy Welch, whose son Buddy Fuller. He would know, he knows Buddy Fuller and wrestling is the father of Ron Fuller. And Rob Fuller.
Speaker 2: So the Welsh family owned Memphis before the Jarretts did. That's for sure, before Jerry Jarrett did. And so to the point, it's not so far away territory with no connective tissue. No, Roy and the Welch family had lived around Dire, Tennessee for decades, which is about one hundred miles north of Memphis. And Roy was the guy who kind of deputized Nick Goulis to.
Speaker 8: Be the.
Speaker 2: You know, the guy who drove a hard bargain and ran the territory that way, dealt with the talent, screened the talent. But it's really Roy Welch who had his hands on the controls and was doing Everything's kind of like how it's tried and true in the business. Years later, God damn it that Jr. Never gave me a shot. It's like, no, it's Vince that didn't give you the shot. But he's not going to bother with you. You know, he's not going to tell you what he thinks of you.
Speaker 3: He's going to have JR. Pretend that JR. Thinks that way of you. The same thing with John Lorianidis. You know, you create that degree of separation between the talent and the real boss, right, so that you don't have to ever be the bad guy to them. In case you ever want to do business with them again, you can just claim your deputy was the bad guy and it was all a misunderstanding, so that that really, at least according to Jerry Jarrett's description, is really what Nick Goulas was, And eventually Jerry Jarrett boss is going to close in on it. Of course's action or fucking believe it. Of course, of course, a lot in past episodes of The Complete How there was a clear Southeastern Memphis talent exchange. In fact, Ron Fuller sent a lot of guys up there that he considered pretty important in the beginning stages of his brother booking that territory, Rob Fuller booking Memphis until there was the falling out we talked about the according Ron Fuller, at least the dispute over how much of a percentage goes to the boys. Of course, you have to take that with a grain of salt. That uh right, He left the He left the territory because he didn't think the boys were getting paid enough. That would doesn't sound like a wrestling promoter to me, But let's not forget Roy Welch, his grandfather essentially was involved over there forever and was basically running the territory. We talked about how Roy Lee Welch, he was the grandson I think, and Ester Welch had also helped out getting Hulk Hogan over in Alabama. I remember by coming to the TV and taking a bear hug leading from the mouth. To say nothing of Wayne Ferris, Jerry Lawler's cousin. He was also in Alabama in the very earliest days of Hulk Hogan arriving there in nineteen seventy nine as Punk Rock Wayne Ferris, and eventually Jerry Jarrett opens what would be known with c WA instead of just Memphis Wrestling. Is how to think about the delineation in seventy seven, when it starts to be called c w A, that's when you know that Jerry Jarrett has eventually taken the territory essentially, I should say, taken the territory and is now running it with Jerry Lawler. But there had to be a split between Nickolas and Jerry Jarrett and a bit of a promotional war before that fully took place. Let's go back to nineteen sixty just get a sense of how far back this all goes. This is a clipping from the Memphis Press Scimitar, which is newspaper out there from nineteen sixty, and this is where Fuller is getting some pressure around his license. Because we're already we're already starting the gamesmanship in this territory. Fuller has had his I think this is Buddy Fuller. Let me make sure I get the right. I'm sure I'm talking about the right Fuller. Yeah, Buddy Fuller. So that is Ron Fuller's dad. Okay, he's promoting in the area, but he gets his license pulled by the state Athletic Commission. In nineteen sixty.
Speaker 2: He's being told at checks that he had issued, stating he had ten days to pay them. We're we're never received, even though he claimed in the newspaper that he immediately deposited enough money to cover those checks. He said, quote, I'm not the best bookkeeper in the world. But then the next day I get a letter stating my license has been revoked. I think Fuller says there is something personal involved in this case. It seems to me that someone on the commission is more interested in getting my license than my money.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: The second thing that seems strange to me is that when a license is revoked there is no hearing. I understand that he hearing is usually allowed before the license is actually taken up. I had no hearing, no nothing. There also seems to be some misunderstanding within the commission. So this history of.
Speaker 2: Gulis and Welch taking over from the Fullers, and it's kind of weird because it's like it's the same family, but in the newspapers Welch and Fuller being used interchangeably without renaming Fuller a Welsh. It's very fucking hard to understand. But we've talked about how important it was to the Fullers that the public not know that they're also the owners, right, as it could be seen as self dealing and stuff God forbid. Right, But after all, this happens in nineteen sixty where Buddy Fuller, the father of Ron Fuller, has his license revoked to promote in the area. All of a sudden, this hits the papers. The promotion of professional wrestling in Memphis last night was passed on to Nick Goulis and Roy Welch, veteran Nashville promoters. They will be in charge of the shows staged under the sponsorship of Memphis Post number one of the American Legion. Wiss and Welsh succeed Buddy Fuller, who had his license revoked by the Tennessee Athletic Commission last week. Fuller had been wrestling promoter here the past two years. Fuller is Welsh's son, Okay, so.
Speaker 3: Okay, so they're not even fucking hiding it anymore. They're just fucking okay. He had his license revoked and his dad gets it. But this is again, this is this.
Speaker 2: Buddy Fuller is Ron Fuller's dad and running Memphis and well, and they handed to his grandfather running Memphis. So to pretend that Hult going back and forth between Alabama and Memphis is some huge deal is kind of to lose sight of the fact that there's a forty well at that time, almost a twenty year history of the Welch's, you know, basically having their hands on the controls of Memphis as well. But Jerry Jarrett is about to change that to a pretty significant degree. The article concludes. The announcement of the change was made by Fred Lassiter of Nashville, chairman of the Tennessee Athletic Commission, who met here with Malcolm Forrester of Yorktown Commissioned Secretary, along with Goulis Welch and Tony Laiwoe, Memphis commission Member. The first show for the new group at Ellis Auditorium will be December nineteenth. It will be staged for the Press, Scimitar, Goodfellows and Commercial Appeal American Legion Christmas Funds.
Speaker 3: So how about that. We're gonna do wrestling shows so the tickets can go to the American Legion Christmas Fund. It's one of the old ways they used to sell wrestling. It's kind of like charity fundraising. It's still still happens sometimes. Yeah, and then this hits the December thirtieth of that year, right around the time we're operating in now. Buddy Fuller on suspended list. Buddy Fuller, former Memphis wrestling promoter, will not appear on the Ellis Auditorium program Monday. He is under suspension by the Tennessee Athletic Commission and it is not allowed to participate in matches. About that.
Speaker 2: You get your license revoked and then you're under suspension. It's just it's the gamesmanship is unbelievable. This is guy, Tony Lawo, I I.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know. I'm just I got nothing. Actually, continue head spinning, head spinning, Yeah, exactly, that's exactly what it is.
Speaker 2: Ron Fuller's dad ran Memphis, right, and then he got his license revoked, only for Ron Fuller's granddad to get it in concert with Nicholas. So the Welch's are still running Memphis. But the papers make it seem like the grandfather and the father are competing with each other for the license. But it's the same family, just sometimes they're called Welch and sometimes they're called Fuller. I mean, can you imagine reading the.
Speaker 3: Paper It's it says Fuller is Welch's son. Then why the fuck is his last name Fuller? Right? Is no one going to talk about this? Should his last name be Welch if he's his son? Or you're exposing the business? Right? Well you are anyway. So this is my stick, This is my gimmick.
Speaker 2: This Police Inspectoris Memphis rep on the five Man Commission. This Tony Laiwoe is the guy that's they're kind of suspecting of playing games to get Buddy Fuller kicked out of owning the territory. So they ask him, like, what happened? He says, I have nothing to say except that Fuller's license was revoked because of action detrimental to the best interest of wrestling. Excuse me, excuse me, now what action detrimental to the best interest of wrestling? Love to know what the fuck that's supposed to mean.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not like Welch and Gulis went on to run a clean shop. In nineteen sixty, they were charged with conspiring to stop an investigation of their business practices, and even accused, in some sworn depositions delivered in a future lawsuit, of making bribes to a US senator to try to bring scrutiny of their business practices. Yes, these things are stated matter of factly in public reports and Wikipedia and elsewhere. There was complaints, apparently to the United States Department of Justice over these attempts to buy a lack of scrutiny of what they were doing. You can't forget the NWA was investigated as essentially a racket, essentially, you know, something where people were blackballed if they didn't participate in this monopolistic activity. You know, the NWA. It didn't just exist to benefit the members. That existed to make sure nobody else ran in the cities that NWA members operated in, and if you did try to run opposition, they would flood the market with some of the top talent the NBA had to offer so that the wrestling fans would, you know, eventually just not patronize your shows and shut you down. And these practices over time pissed off enough people that they went to the FBI and a federal investigation was launched and they basically, you know, found enough to put pressure on the NWA to sign a consent decree, which is essentially like I'm going to do all these things and I'm going to keep all these business practices in line, and if I don't, I agree that the Department of Justice is going to charge me with a crime. Essentially, it's almost like a list of things you must do to not get charged. Okay, that's like one step away from actually being charged. Because you know, the NBA was a monopoly. It's very simple, and so it's not like he got shut down or dismantled, but they did have to have kind of a little dalliance with the Department of Justice about what they could and couldn't do. That's why there's so much boss that's public record about, you know, the interoffice memos and stuff. That's why we have like all these memos from Sam Muchnick's office to all the promoters and everything over the years because it was all collected as part of this dj antitrust investigation in the fifties.
Speaker 3: It's fucking nuts. If you knew the NWA was a racket, yes, yeah, I mean, listen, we knew it was a racket to begin with, but this is this is just a whole other fucking level.
Speaker 1: He's a lapsed fan wrestling podcast with Jack n Carneo and JP Soros fan wrestling pods.
Speaker 2: So apparently investigators were looking into the Welsh business practices in Memphis along with Nick Gulis, and some attempts were to keep that scrutiny off of their back. We'll get more into that in just a second, but you know who's circling You know who's circling as all of these territories are being upended and powers being shifted around Jim Barnett. Of course, we turned to Chokehold Pro Wrestling's real mayhem out the book from Weldon Johnson and former wrestler Jim Wilson, who was one of the guys who really tried to take on the NWA stranglehold on the territory because he basically blamed that dominance from a former football player. Was Jim Wilson from becoming a wrestling star and basically devoted the rest of his life to fighting all these promoters in court and wrote an incredible book that has a ton of detail about how the NWA came to be the NWA, and how they exerted control and influence and how they kept basically an iron grip on how pro wrestling was to work and who was to succeed as pro wrestling promoters and owners for decades and decades. The book reads in between skirmishes in the Battle Atlanta, Okay, So Jim Barnett went up against Anne Gunkle for control of Atlanta Wrestling in the early seventies and they battled it out like crazy.
Speaker 3: Come on, leaving Gunkle alone, Barnett found time, the book reads, to pick a fight with the nwas Memphis promoter Nick Goulis trying to muscle Gouliss out of the territory Goulis thought he owned So look at this. Barnett tried to close in on Memphis in the seventies. I didn't. I didn't. That's just an unfair characteristic.
Speaker 7: Look.
Speaker 3: Look there, there's just things going on. I'm not doing anything bad. There's just things going on. I must say, I'm not being naughty. I'm not a naughty boy. I'm a good old country boy. Don't you forget it. I'm not naughty now now, if you want to get naughty, I'm not saying I have nothing fail you. It doesn't think I don't get naughty. I'm just not naughty by nature.
Speaker 4: M hm.
Speaker 3: The midjule.
Speaker 9: For you?
Speaker 3: How about a y? It was yes.
Speaker 2: In spring nineteen seventy four, the book reads, Jim Barnett's nWay Partners launched an all out attack on Anne Gunkle's promotion by bringing its big name attractions from around the country to the Georgia Circuit, where they showcased at Atlanta's new Omni Arena. So this is also a battle for control of the Omni and Boss. It's Barnett winning this battle that puts him in prime position to develop the relationship with Ted Turner, thus leading to Georgia Championship, becoming, you know, the dominant promotion on what was the earliest days of cable and WTBS and eventually becoming WCW with Jim Barnett involved the whole way. Well, if you don't count the temporary ouster that Oliott Anderson was able to engineer leading to Black Saturday. But that's all we do to ramp up Georgia Championship's booking clout. Barnett had replaced Bill Watts. Bill Watts was booking Georgia at the time as booker with who who did Barnett install as booker for Georgia Championship in this war?
Speaker 3: Olie Anderson? Jerry Jarrett, Oh, Jerry Jarrett? Wow? All right? Who was running Louisville at the time. He started, not with Memphis, but just running little I can't even make keep track. I can't keep dragging of all these fucking clients. What the fuck is going on here?
Speaker 2: Because Jarrett's mom worked for the office, they gave him a town. They said, why don't you want you know, you want to try your hand at prooding. Do Louisville, do Evansville, Indiana. See if you can get these these areas going for us, and Jerry did well enough that eventually he's like, I'll take the whole fucking thing. You know, it's the whole story.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 3: You let someone in so that you know, you can sort of outsource the hard work to open up new areas, and pretty soon they figure out the playbook and they're like, you're just a bitch, Like I can just take this from you. You don't do anything the secrets out so yes. At the time, Jarrett was just promoting small in Louisville and Kentucky small towns and Jim Barnett tapped him and said, you're gonna book Georgia Championship Wrestling, and Jarrett brought heel manager Gary Hart, the three Garvins, Jerry Lawler, and Dick the Bruiser to the OMNI for matches with the n WA Georgia standbys like Tim Woods, Mister Wrestling Too, and Ron Fuller. Ron Fuller was we talked about this.
Speaker 2: He was in Georgia before he got his own territory down on the Gulf Coast, before he bought into Southeastern or bought out the prior owner of Southeastern. Ron Fuller was a star in WTBS before and then a few months later Jarrett left Georgia championship. So Jerry Jarrett didn't book Georgia for very long, but he booked it at a very important time in terms of establishing credibility connections with the NWA, the kind of cloud it would take to unseat someone like a Nick Goulis who had been owning the territory via Bloodbath since the sixties, since nineteen sixty, So Jerry Jarrett is really establishing himself with the power structure of the NWA, as evidenced by Jim Barnett picking him to book Georgia. And so Jarrett left Georgia when he was offered half ownership in the Gulis Welsh promotion that did the Tennessee shows Kentucky, parts of Indiana, Mississippi and Arkansas as well. And who replaced Jerry Jarrett in Georgia when he went to take over half of ten See Louis Toillette.
Speaker 3: Oh, Mike, are you fucking serious? All these guys knew each other ahead of time? This is like fucking this is like, this is like incestuous community theater very much is what this is, and it's all important to understanding who had their fingers on the controls of Terry Bully's career pro wrestling. Yeah, yeah, it's all. It's all vital.
Speaker 2: I mean Jerry by virtue of getting involved with the Georgia War and getting the endorsement so to speak of Jim Barnett also had a great connection to Eddie Graham. You know, they do these nw Way meetings and eventually in the power struggle that is to ensue between Nick Goulis and Jerry Jarrett, Eddie Graham would vote for the kid, would vote for Jerry Jarrett to run Memphis over the incumbent Nick gool Wow. Jerry's mother, Christine, as I mentioned, was really the first Jarrett entree into the wrestling business. Used to sell tickets for the Goulis Welsh operation and that's where is mentioned. Glis eventually gives young teenaged Jerry jarreted a job, first selling programs and then eventually promoting some towns. And as you write in his book, Jerry Jarrett does one day and I don't remember why, I took the money and report to the wrestling office myself, that is to say, you know, the gate receipts. Roy Welch was there in the office with Nick. This is the day I realized that Nick had a partner. Roy asked if I would mind calling him each time I went to check up and give him a report on how I liked the matches. I enjoyed watching the matches, so I told Roy that it would be a pleasure. But now bear in mind, boss, this is according to Jerry Jarrett, before he knew wrestling was fake. Okay, so a teenager selling programs and working doing work for the office, still.
Speaker 3: Thinking it's real, right, Well, what's wrong with that? Roy asked if I would mind calling him each time I went to check up and give him a report and how I liked the matches. I enjoyed watching the matches, so I told Roy that it would be a pleasure. I went to the matches that night and called Roy the next day to give him my report. I advised Roy, all the matches were very good except the first one, and I'm quite sure they faked the match. Wow. Roy asked me to explain, Well, mister Welch, they just acted like they punched each other and they would fall down and fake getting hurt. All the wrestlers had to dress in the same big room and I'm guessing they made a deal to not hurt each other. Roy advised that he would look into the matter. That's fucking funny. Can you imagine that. It's like, I think I think it's fake. Well, i'll tell you, young man, if that's what you think, I gotta do something about it. And what happens is a real consequence. I imagine Roy Welch picks up the phone and goes, you motherfuckers are mailing it into the point that this kid can tell it's not real. This this idiot says it's fucking fake. Now I know it's fake. You know it's fake, but they can't know it's fucking fake. That's not how the Welches run a wrestling business. Boss, you better get real, right boys. So funny, I like this kid, like the consequences for these guys are real for making it look fake.
Speaker 2: Not that not fake, just making it look fake. And he's using young Jerry Jarrett. It's kind of like the litmus test for that. Years later, after I became Roy's partner, Jarrett continues, he never mentioned our conversation directly. On one occasion, as I was leaving the office to go to Memphis, Roy said, Jerry, be sure to watch all the matches. If any of those bastards have a fake match, it will I just replied, okay, Roy, I'll keep an eye on them. It got it got serious though, as Jerry began, you know, trying to take over more and more in the territory and become the the the made man. He's a guy named Mario Galento who was on kind of the goolest Welsh side of things, who attacks Jerry Jarrett during jer.
Speaker 3: Mario Mario Galento. Do you remember when we did a show a while ago about like when's the first time people would be on TV saying wrestling was fake? When we did the whole I'm told the secrets of progress revealed special and we went all the way back to that Memphis call in show wrestling fans have been tripped again. Yes, where there was a Memphis wrestler and studio taking questions about it being fake. That was Mario Glento. Wow, and this guy was a maniac. I mean just he was definitely somebody that had run into the law. At one point, Jerry Jarrett and Jerry Lawla are wrestling each other and Mario Glento hits the ring and attacks Jerry Jarrett for real and later shows up with a gun at one of their matches. This, according to Jerry Jarrett, is just part of a campaign to intimidate them out of taking too much of the territory. Yes, gun, that's correct. Okay, listen, you get it.
Speaker 2: You do what you gotta do, you know, Jared I called a friend I had the FBI and explained that someone would get killed unless they did something about Galento. I returned from Florida and was interviewed by the FBI. They then went to Mario and advised him that they would find out who had paid him, and all of them, Mario included, would be charged with attempted murder.
Speaker 3: Mario disappeared. I later heard they had moved to Florida. Did we ever find out for certain, Jerry writes in his book if Roy Welch was behind the Mario Galento incidents, No, we did not. In fact, we never determined why Mario did it at all. The reason we all suspected Roy was behind it was many little things he had done leading up to the incident. He had asked several wrestlers if they thought I might try to steal the business by going into business myself. Roy had come from a background in the wrestling business in which it was not uncommon for a booker to break away and start a promotion. Sound like a plan b boss, It sounds like a plan A to me. I mean that is no wonder. Ron Fuller was so paramoised about this something. Yeah, his whole family's history in the business was bereft with stories of talent trying to open up an office to run opposition to them and take the territory. And in some cases, like.
Speaker 2: Jerry Jarrett, it fucking worked, and Bob Rup tried to do one, it didn't work. He tried to do one in San Francisco and it didn't work. Was getting forgetful. Jerry Wrights and many suspected it had gone past sentinility and was Alzheimer's. Roy died without us ever knowing for sure. So, yeah, he talks a lot more about this. But Roy Welch at this point had started to kind of slip mentally and so but in wrestling, it that's always a that's always an ailment of convenience, right right, he was always mind heart attack.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: It's to me that sounds more like Jerry Jarrett, who's passed on saying, I don't I don't want to believe that Roy Welch would send Mario Glento to kill me. I would much rather just believe he was slipping mentally, and if he did do anything in that direction, it was just because he was kind of losing his marbles. It's not unlike Hulk citing lou for Rigno having the speech impediment and the deafness in an ear as to why he wouldn't have necessarily picked up on that infamous studio host saying that Terry Bolea was bigger than Lufa. Rigno was the real Hulk. Whenever he told that story, he'd always Hulkwood fold in the fact that Figna had the hearing issue in my mind, so that if anyone ever questioned it in the future, I could say, well, of course, that brother, God forbid, he didn't fucking remember he was actually there. Mark James co authored the book with Jerry Jarrett and did a lot of great books with Memphis wrestlers, and he fixes an editor's note to the end of this chapter about what we just read with Mario Galento. He writes, as a fan watching wrestling. This was an extremely weird time. The promotion always tried to make wrestling as real as possible and make it easy for the fans to believe it was real. This incident with Mario Gleno crossed that line, and it was real. There's no telling what would have happened on the show that Saturday morning if Jerry jareded had not gained quick control of the situation. That is to say, Mario Glento hitting the ring and trying to rip his face off, basically without being invited to do so and not being part of the show. This happened, and when Jerry Jared told the story on Tales from the Territories on Vice TV, he had to think about how he basically ripped Galento's eye out of his fucking head because he just went prime on him trying to stop this guy. Christ their fans were treated to a real situation and thought it was nothing out of the normal. Again, and then the studio audience thinks it's normal, you know, they just think it's a run in. Well, yeah, although they don't know who this Mario Glento is.
Speaker 3: Necessarily is that the best part is that fucking the wrestling audience is like, okay, this is part of the fucking action, but any other normal human beings like, no, this is not okay. Rights, that's the wrestling fan versus the normal human being.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, and the wrestlers, even though it's real as fuck, can't let that on. They can't like, actly, oh, this is actually real, and everything elseide was phony. So it's not like the fan would detect really a change in anything. Right, it must have felt like the Twilight Zone. Mark James Wrights for Jerry when he learned Roy Welch was behind the attacks. I don't know how else to describe it. Roy was the one who had given Jerry his start in the business. Roy was also the one who had made Jerry the Memphis booker. That's what makes this whole situation so strange. I know that Alzheimer's is an awful disease, but I still wonder what Roy was thinking in his whole state. But no, Jerry is a He's gaining more and more control, he's getting more and more credibility to the NWA, and he's buying. He's going to buy out Roy Welch's shares and go fifty to fifty within the Gulist or.
Speaker 3: So things or so things. Yeah, Jerry writes, I returned home to Tennessee and now had a recognized ownership in one of the twenty two National Wrestling Alliance territories. The fact that I already owned one half of Louisville and Lexington, Kentucky, and Evansville, Indiana, along with one hundred percent of Tupelo, Mississippi and Jonesboro, Arkansas, meant nothing to the NWA membership with these towns. I was just a local promoter. However, having a ten percent ownership in Gooulish Welts in the Gouleist Welsh territories, that's he starts with just ten percent. Okay, just know that meant I had a member of the men. I was a member of the fraternity. I had attended NWA meetings, but had no standing prior to this ten percent ownership. Roy Welch's health continued to deteriorate to the point where after having an operation, he never really recovered. Does Verne get ninety per to ownership? Earns got one hundred percent ownership of And while he's kind of like you know, he goes to the NBA conventions and the NBA promoters are in the Wrestler movie. I remember that pool Side. He doesn't really no fuck with this whole NWA thing. He's got his own situation there with the AWA the incident. Okay, At Roy's death, I this is Jerry. Jarrett gave Nick Goulas fifty grand and became a fifty percent owner in the business. A company attorney, Cecil Brandstetter, drew up the ownership papers, so he gets ten percent while Roy Welch is still alive and apparently sicking Mario Galento on him. And then Roy Welch dies and Jerry gets the rest of Welch. So now it's it's Jarrett Goulis instead of Welch Goulss okay, which as we mentioned, started in nineteen sixty taking over from taking Buddy Fuller Sears away. So it's like it didn't didn't really leave the family that much. Now Jarrett is truly outside the Welsh family running the show. This is this is back to the Jim Wilson book. So you know I mentioned the bribery thing. Yes, amazing, all right, So a guy named Don Prewitt, who worked for Goulish and Welsh for fifteen years as a wrestler and later referee and local promoter ends up suing Goulss in Welsh over basically the com Wilson Welsh that sounds like a fucking uh I know, I got like a law firm and prewit. That also sounds like a fucking lawyer. Doesn't sound like yeah right, It doesn't sound like the guys they sued. It sounds like the firm they used to suit exactly.
Speaker 2: But this gets fascinating, so they write in the book to Johnson and Wilson. Yet another controversy alleging Athletic Commission corruption and illegal payoffs to United States senator came to light. In nineteen sixty The NWA's Nashville promoters, Roy Welch and Nickolas were charged with conspiring to stop an investigation of their business practices. Wels and Goulis control wrestling in Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Alabama, and parts of Mississippi, and they had a lot to lose from an investigation of their business tactics. One of their conversations overheard by a third party. Uh oh, hey, I heard third party here? I come, is there a third party involved?
Speaker 8: Here?
Speaker 3: Hey? You know what I can. I'm glad to be a third party. I can be a mediator get things done. That's how I do it on the big stage. I get it done. What were Goulis and Welch overheard saying by this third party, as later revealed in legal proceedings, something to the effect of, quote, don't you think we better get that money up there? To that guy, Goulish said to Welch one day in nineteen sixty it's according to sworn testimony or something. And to that Wells replied, he is leaving to catch an airplane right away. We better get that money up there. Do you want to give him a cash or check? Gulis asked, hell, no, give him cash. Weld replied, oh my god.
Speaker 2: At this point, Goulis asked his secretary, Christine Jarrett, which office safe contained as much as five grand. She told him he counted out five grand into a brown paper bag, gave it to Uncle Billy, and he lost it at the bank.
Speaker 3: She, which is under scured, pulls out a fucking water cash, brown paper bag bag in hand. Googleiss walks across the room to their booker, Don Pruitt. That's the guy who sued them. Eventually Jesus.
Speaker 2: Asking where Prewit had parked his car, Pruitt said his car was outside the office at the Maxwell House Hotel. Would you drop Roy and I over at the Andrew Jackson Hotel. We got to get this money to Estes caver Estes Cafaverre, if you want to.
Speaker 3: Google use me.
Speaker 2: Was the US senator from Tennessee at the time, or one of them, and he was somebody that was well known and remembered for trust busting, for basically bringing congressional investigations against monopolies and rackets. Wow, you know industries that were sort of using a lee means to maintain their grip on power and prices and whatnot. And so here we have a guy saying in his lawsuit against Gougliss and Welch, the Gougless and Welsh were arranging for a payoff to this senator so that he wouldn't scrutinize their business practices in his own backyard at Tennessee. I mean, this goes up to some pretty high levels. This wrestling business bullshit.
Speaker 3: This is so fucking bizarre. Over in Atlanta, you got a Jimmy Barnett who's eventually going to be part of fucking President Jimmy Carter's cabinet for Christ's sake, or at least be his leading appointment for the arts in terms of commission for the arts. But they're going back and forth according to this Don Pruitt about getting a bribe over to this senator and Don Prewitt, the book continues, drove Nick Goulass and Roy Welch to the Jackson Hotel where the drop to United States Senator Estescafavre was made. It should be noted here the book notes that Tennessee's US Senator Carrie Estescaffavre was a powerful figure in Washington, d C. In the nation from nineteen forty nine to the time of his death. The nineteen sixty three Caafavre ran unsuccessfully for the Democratic presidential nomination twice. I didn't know that he ran for president in nineteen fifty two and nineteen fifty six after gaining national attention in nineteen fifty as chairman of the Nationally Yeah These hearings were nationally televised. Boss that he had against monopolies, so a huge deal for the Special Committee on Organized Crime and Interstate Commerce, better known as the Kafavre Committee. When Prewitt recounted the above conversation under oath, he added the purpose for this there was an investigation of the National Wrestling Alliance. That was their part that they kicked in to get the investigations stopped. So not only according to Don Pruitt and sworn testimony, did Nick Gulis and Roy Welch facilitated payment to this senator to keep scrutiny off their business practices. It was actually just a small part of the money. All the promoters in the NWA were asked to chip in to deflect scrutiny from their business practices. So fucking thumbs up in terms of a history that Terry Boulder is walking into. I I mean, it's amazing how the wrestling business just never ceases to amaze in terms of how like bald faced but inventive right their schemes can get just unbelievable.
Speaker 2: There were still a lot of powerful people in the NBA that weren't, you know, pieces of shit, like local idiots like Sam Muchnick, highly respected guy in Saint Louis, like his name was not scoffed at, even though he was primarily known as the president of the National Wrestling Alliance. He built a substantial respect in Saint Louis sports and media and media the biggest fake alliance in history apparently. But eventually Jerry Jarrett splits with Nick Gulis, as you found out he owned none of Welch's shares. Goulis says, you know what you thought you bought fifty percent. You thought you obtained all fifty percent of Roy Welts's shares when he died. Jerry, Well, guess what if you read the contract, all you ever had was an option. If you read the fine print, all you ever had was an option to buy those shares. Yes, and the date by which you had to exercise that option has passed, my friend.
Speaker 3: The only if you if you read the fine print, you'll realize all you had was an option, an option to blow me.
Speaker 2: That's perfectly but so obviously Jerry Jarrett's that's going to burn his ass because he thinks he owns fifty percent. When push comes to shove, he doesn't own shit because the same lawyer represented Jerry Jarrett and Nick Gouliss, according to Jerry Jared in the transaction, and there comes a time when Nick Goulis wants to get is nothing happened in son George Goulis involved at the top of the card, and Jerry Jared says, no, I don't. I don't see a lot in this guy. I don't think it's good for our business to spotlight him just because he's your son. Well, well, obviously Nick Goulass is going to would burn the world to the ground before he's told now on something.
Speaker 9: Like that, I do.
Speaker 3: I believe I've got something to my son. So once you fucking shut up and and I'm going to do what I want, Jerry says, fuck this, okay, I'm withdrawing right. Not only do I not care that I don't own fifty percent, I don't even want it anymore. I'm withdrawing entirely from this thing. Because the fact of the matter is is, Jerry says in his book, even if he goes to court and fights and proves that actually he does own fifty percent, he's still stuck with Nick Goulas as a fucking business partner. So it's like, forget it, Like I don't even want to fight this battle. I'm just going to withdraw entirely. Now you can have whatever. Roy Welch left behind, and I'm going to start my own company. Jerry Jared is going to start the CWA, and not only is he going to start it, he's going to pull Jerry Lawler, who's quickly becoming the hottest attraction away from Nick Goulis to his side of the fence. He starts rounding up talent. He calls Eddie Graham down in Florida, and there they are again, the Fullers. Okay, Jerry Jared Fuller shits. I then contacted the wrestlers and told them that I would open a business in a few weeks and anyone who wanted to work for me was welcome, and I would understand if someone did not want to take the risk with a new promotion and instead wanted to stay with Nick Goulis. Every single wrestler told me to just tell them what to do and they would do it. I advise them to take directions from Eddie Marlin, who is Jerry Jared's business partner, and work as hard as possible to keep the business good. I then called my friend Eddie Graham to see if he would support me. Eddie said he was offended that I would even ask. He suggested that I make some kind of a deal with Buddy Fuller. It comes all the way back around from getting his license revoked in nineteen sixty so his dad can get the promotion along with So would he have gone? Would he have gone? Hold on? So back up, he refused to help because he was asked who refused to add? Oh, no, Eddie said that you would even ask I'm offended. Of course I'm with you. Oh yeah, like I thought he likes, well, I would have helped you. But then you have offended that you even asked me. Yeah, but you felt how to do that, So fuck you. I definitely see how you get interreted that way. So in artful phrasing there in the book, for sure. But no, yeah, that's what he means, like, of course I'm with you, because you know they had no love loss for Nick Goolas either, and if Welch was dead, apparently that was the only reason anybody respected Nick Goulas anyway, was because they had respect for the Welches, and one's Welch's out of the equation. Fuck this so so yes, Jerry Jarrett certainly round up political support and hilarious that Eddie Graham's got just the guy for you, Jerry, get back into business with the guy that Goulis took the license from in the first place in nineteen sixty Buddy Fuller, of course, fucking just a I mean yeah, of course is the father of Ron Fuller. With Buddy Fuller because that would help with the NWA politics, Jarrett wrote, because of Roy's previous ownership, I called Buddy and made a deal with him for ownership and my new promotion. This is the editor's note here from Mark James on this chapter. Buddy Fuller had been in Memphis on and off since the late nineteen fifties, when Nick Gulas and Roy Welch bought the city's promotion from less Wolf. Buddy's real name was Edward Welch, and he was the son of Roy Welch. That family name carried a lot of weight in the South during the nineteen sixties. Buddy had been a major player back in those days. Fast forward to the late nineteen seventies, and the playing field had changed. Roy Welch passed away in late nineteen seventy seven and Nick Gulis was all but out of the business. By the same time, the old guard was changing and Buddy's living off the past finally caught up with him. So now the Fullers and Terry's old friend Eddie Graham Boss and that crew were tied in once again as well. And the key thing, one of the key things that Jerry Jarrett is able to do is Channel five in Memphis WMCTV. This is the time slot and this is the channel that drew those incredible shares. This is the channel where the stuff like the Kamala stuff we just looked at all premiere and this is the station that everyone who grew up in Memphis loving wrestling in the seventies and eighties remembers being where you had to be parked on Saturday mornings, your absolutely classic signature studio wrestling show that drove ticket sales, particularly Monday night at the Mid South Colosseum. It was on a different station than at Gulas and Roy welch Ran, but it was Jerry Jarrett who brought it to w MC. Just soak this, soak this in.
Speaker 6: Here, this Channel five in Memphis on the Mississippi, the showplace of the Sun.
Speaker 3: The showplace of the South. Eventually, this new Jerry Jarrett promotion with Jerry Lawler as one of the top stars gets so hot that they've got to compensate Jerry Lawler kind of over and above the typical talent fee to keep him around. So Jerry Lawler ended up getting five percent of the territory and now Jerry Lawler is not only wrestling for Jerry Jarrett and he's now in business with Jerry Jarrett. They also bring over Lance Russ and Dave Brown, who were well known to Memphis folks because they were news anchors and weathermen on the same w MC Channel five that aired the wrestling. We've seen this in other markets where you know the local wrestling announcer. It's not unlike Charlie Platt, who is known down there as well from his TV exploits. You bring in someone that's known to the market. It would be like, I don't know, Boss Mike Lynch doing the studio wrestling every Saturday in Boston, right, Oh my god, think about that. Or the weatherman Dick Albert also wrestling on Saturday mornings. Shot Love Him Studio that they did the local news every every night. I mean, talk about the place to be as a wrestling fan. The era you want to cook in in Cimmarren instead of the w CVB Channel five coverage. You can count on cover covers, you can count out covers. You can count out, yeah, coverage, you can count two and a half two. Bob Coddle was the same thing, you know he was. He was a Charlotte area news personality, and Lance Russell and Dave Brown certainly in that category, as well ed Whalen Up in Calgary I think was much the same. So now Jerry Lawler's in business and also owning part of the promotion. Was Jared's mother, but she didn't own the Memphis part. She owned twenty five percent of Louisville, Evansville and Lexington. And so now Jerry, Jared's in business with Buddy Fuller. Let me make no mistake about it. Okay, he splits ownership now with Buddy Fuller in this new operation, and the income was huge. The income was big. He says in his book Jerry Jarrett that his share soon reached an excess of a million dollars per year in nineteen seventy seven. That's big fucking money, especially for one little market. Yeah, seriously, that's crazy. Of course, this being wrestling. Eventually, Jerry Lawler threatens to break off and go off on his own with Lance Russell because Jerry Jarrett didn't boost his ownership percentage as originally agreed, past the five percent. So Jerry Jarrett says he forgot, okay, he forgot that he had made that deal with Jerry Lawler, and fine, I thought you were making so much money Jerry, that I didn't think money was an issue between us. But fine, I'll up your stake from five percent to twenty five percent. Jared, let me teach you something here, Okay, money is always an issue, always an issue, exactly. Always pay someone more, it becomes even more of an issue. Yep. Now, I mean, did Jerry Jarrett confront Jerry Lawler in company with a gun over this dispute?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 2: It may be suggested in some places that that happened, but I'll leave it at that. As for Nick Goulis versus Jerry Jarrett, there's a war in the papers because Nick Goulas is still trying to run after Jerry opens his own promotion and leaves Nick holding the bag. How about this clipping which Jerry Jarrett is more than happy to include in his book headline Wrestling Draws four hundred eighty four people. This is from seventy seven when they're warring against each other. A crowd of only four hundred and eighty four attended wrestling last night at the Mid South Colosseum, where Jackie Fargo won the NWA Central State Crown from the Russian Stomper and other matches. Don Kent at George defeated William Stone and Mark Roberts Tojo Yamamoto beat Doctor x Pez Whatley and Hank James defeated John and Rick Davidson and Crazy Luke Graham and Ripper King Collins defeated Don Green and Wayne Petty. The attendance was the worst for the Nashville based company run by promoter Nicholas since it began encountering competition from a new company run by Jerry Jarrett two months ago. Jared Hog will be held at the Colisseum tomorrow night at eight and then Lawler working for Jerry Jarrett's drawing Big. Here's a headline, Lawler draws big against two Well. He retained his National Wrestling Alliance out the Southern Heavyweight Belt by defeating Robert Fuller before a crowd of four thousand and eight eighty seven as opposed to four.
Speaker 3: Hundred and eighty four. That's better. That's better, Alsie. I'm also working for Jerry Jarrett. Jim Garvin who defeats Jake Smith, Junior Igor defeats Tommy Gilbert, Bill Dundee, and Tommy Rich the future Tommy Rich defeated the invaders Rocky Johnson. That's right, the Rock's father working for Jerry Jarrett in the very beginning here. Wow if he did.
Speaker 2: Pat McGinnis, David Schultz, Doctor Dee, who of course is about to become well known to Terry Buleigh defeated Paul Orndorf, who goes to work for Jerry Jarrett.
Speaker 3: Wow. And Rick and Robert Gibson the future rock and Roll Express who got their starret in Memphis and who were packaged with the music video by Jerry Jarrett in Memphis in terms of explaining what it meant to be rock and Roll Express at the time. They retained their Southern tag titles by defeating Phil Hackerson and Dennis Condrey future a minute Express member right there. Dennis Condrey, so big talent for Jerry Jarrett at this point in time. Now, Buddy Fuller, Yes, after having been smarted out of the territory in nineteen sixty, finding his way back in in seventy seven when Jerry Jarrett won the Power Struggle. Do you think he's content to just sit back and collect a percentage of Jerry Jarrett's success? Absolutely? What I mean, why why wouldn't you.
Speaker 2: Be Suddenly he starts, according to Jerry Jared in his book, making noise about wanting to open up Ohio.
Speaker 3: Brother with who you ask with who? Well, we turned to Jerry Jeard's book again. Oh boy.
Speaker 2: He went on to explain, Fuller came to the house one day and told me that he had the itch to be involved in the wrestling business again. He went on to explain, now he's involved in the business and that he collects this passive, passive income right, but he's not promoting actively. He's just Jerry Jeork's business partner. Jerry's running all of Memphis. But suddenly Buddy Fuller wants to do something more hands on. He went on to explain that our business was so good here in Tennessee that sometimes he felt guilty when he got.
Speaker 3: The big checks for doing eppisode. Bullshit, bullshit. I assured Buddy that I was not unhappy with our situation, and a deal was a deal. I told him that he had stood by me when it counted, so I was happy. Buddy then told me his plan. He said that if I would help get television in Ohio, he and Louis Tillette would move there and run the business Jesus Christ. His plan was to used some of the Tennessee talent to get started, but he and Louie would start producing television and generate income so he could send me a check the other way. Said it sounded good to me. I began making calls. I not only made calls, but by networking with my existing station managers and a couple of trips to Ohio, I had television time in Cincinnati, Columbus, and one small market I can't recall. I also booked three buildings in the television markets, Yeah, three buildings in the television market markets, and reported to Buddy my success and told him to prepare to move. We ran our shows about eight weeks and booked the first tour of towns. Buddy and Louis moved to Ohio and found a couple of spot shows so the crew had a full week. And imagine that Boss Louis Tillette. He's just moving all around. He's in Atlanta, he's in Ohio, and then he comes to Alabama. That's insane. Buddy and Louis moved to Ohio, found a couple of spot shows, so the crew had a full week. At the time, we were drawing huge gates in Tennessee, so I had no trouble booking a good card and still left more than enough talent to keep the houses good in Tennessee. I sent superstar Bill Dundee to handle the matches and to the cards. Bill had served as my assistant booker, so he was very capable. After the first event in Ohio, Dundee called me and said, Boss, I don't know exactly what's going on here. I don't know full of well enough to know if he's joking or not. But if he is not joking, we're in trouble. I asked the source of his concern. Bill advised that the house was ninety percent full and Buddy had come to the dressing room looking very concerned. So Bill asked him, what's the trouble mate. Bill said Buddy had told him that he and Louie had not hired enough security, and he found a door in a hall and hundreds of people were streaming in before he could get the door closed and a guard stationed on the door. Bill laughed and advised, I've not heard this one since my early days in Australia. Wow. I told Bill, thanks for the heads up and keep me posted. Bill would call me after each event and give me his estimate of the gates. At the end of the tour, I had still not heard from Buddy. At the beginning of the next week, Buddy called to say that he and Louie were not coming home for a couple of weeks because they had a lot of work to do in preparation for the next week's show and to begin lining up future towns. I asked Buddy how the towns had done, and he said not very well.
Speaker 4: Mmm.
Speaker 2: He said he was not concerned because he knew it would take a lot of work to build the towns where they would be profitable. I told Buddy that the guys would have to be paid, so I had to have the money before Friday. Buddy asked if I would front the payroll this week because he really needed to stay in Ohio. I told him we could, but I had to know the exact amount of the gates. Before I could figure out the payroll, Buddy gave some excuse about Louis having the reports and that he would call me the next day. I began to get concerned about Bill Dundee's warnings. The next morning, Buddy called and gave me the amounts of the gates. The amounts Buddy gave me were less than half of Bill's guests Bill Dundee's guests, and this threw up a very red flag. Wrestlers are amazing at their ability to guess the gates in wrestling. Yes, of course, they got paid in those days based on the gate, and most had worked for dishonest promoters. I could understand if Bill was off by ten percent, even twenty percent, but I was sure he was not off by fifty percent. I got on the phone began calling each building manager myself. I told him to please not report my call to Buddy Fuller, a Louis Tilley, simply because I was trying to determine if they were honest people. Louis Toillette, Buddy Fuller, honest people.
Speaker 3: He's wondering. I mean, come on, you should know better. The guy who took Hulk from Ron Fuller and Louis Tillett is wondering if Ron's daddy and Louis are honest people. No, the managers felt they were dealing with me because I had signed the contract rental agreements. Each one faxed me their box office report. Sure enough, Build and d was almost dead on for all except two of the gates, and he was off by about ten percent high on that one and ten percent low on the other. Buddy's numbers were about half the box office reports. I was much more hurt than I was mad. So you understand here, You understand this. What's happening here is they're making all kinds of money, and Buddy's saying we're not making a lot and putting write the rest in his pocket. That's what Jerry is in insinuating here. I had sent Buddy Fuller tens of thousands of dollars each month since we went in business. His share of the month we were in was almost eighty grand. I drew up our divorce papers and waited for him to call me. He said he wanted me to meet him at Shoney's Restaurant in Hendersonville. This seems strange because my house was only ten minutes from Shoney's. I put the fat box office report and a folder along with the papers I had drawn up to separate our partnership. I met Buddy and acted as if all was well. He began to pull his reports out and go over each one. I asked why there was no backup documentation with the reports. He claimed he did not know they were necessary. I calmly explained that our uncle Sam did not want to have to take our word, and that we would have to have a box office report attached. He went to reach town report and then began pulling out a bunch of wadded papers that he claimed were receipts for expenses for himself and Louis. He then tried to hand me a check for twelve hundred dollars in change. I didn't take the check. I stared at Buddy and told him how hurt I was that he would steal from me at the first chance. I'd expected him to at least to pull a macho bluff and raise hell about me calling him a thief. But there was nothing, not a word. He just looked down at the table. I then folded opened my folder and pushed the box office reports across the table and told him that the managers had faxed them to me. Still nothing, not a word. I then pushed the contract in front of him and said he had two choices. He could accept my offer to settle our partnership, or we could just have a winner takes all for the territory. Not a single word but he picked up the pin. A winner take all for the territory. Yeah, yeah, I guess he means I'll run an opposition to you, and I went all the fans over and you'll have to close. Not a single word, but he picked up the pin and turned to the last page and signed his name on the line. I told him that I would make new reports based on the box office reports, and I would deduct the wrestler's pay, insurance and my half from his money due from today back to the start of the month. I slid out of the booth and stood by the table for a moment. I asked, buddy, did he not have anything to say? Finally looked up from the table and simply said, I'm sorry. My partnership ended. The only person I called to report the situation was Eddie Graham, who of course had suggested that he worked with Buddy Fuller in the first place. Oh, maybe that's what that commissioner member was talking about, boss when he said things that were not in the best interest of wrestling were happening under Buddy Fuller's launch. Oh maybe did that description of the discrepancy and ticket counting and these floods of people who got in without paying sound familiar at all to you? Yeah, sounds like kind of what Bob rup was alleging Ron Fuller was doing. And yes, yes, turned back to Bob's podcast quickly, just to close that loop as he describes. And you tell me if this doesn't sound like the exact same playbook that Jerry Jared alleges Buddy Fuller was running.
Speaker 5: Mom was sitting at a table.
Speaker 3: He's describing the ticket takers in Knoxville, a mother and daughter combination. Think you have for lunch that day?
Speaker 2: I know, I didn't realize how I played it, that I had to set this up. So remember, his whole allegation is that he personally observed people who were collecting the ticket money for Ron Fuller in Knoxville putting some in their pocket and not reporting it as having been tickets sold. And then there's this big blow up with Ron, who claims that not only did these people, did he know these people well and they were incapable of doing such a thing. But Ron also claims that in fact, he wasn't even involved in deciding who collected tickets and took tickets and took ticket money at this particular building in Knoxville anyway, that the coliseum handling them, we went through all that shit. I'm reaching the limits of my interest in this thing. But if we're going to talk about out the history with Jarrett and Fuller and going back and forth and exchanging Hull cog and it might be important to understand. So back to Bob Roup describing what he observed in seventy nine in Knoxville while Hogan was working over on the Gulf Coast side.
Speaker 5: Mom was sitting at a table. There was a mother daughter, ticket taker, ticket seller. Mom sold tickets sitting down. She was an older woman, made sense. The daughter stood up about ten feet behind her, and there was a like a container beside her, one of those things you can stick tickets into that's supposed to count the tickets. So Mom would sell the tickets and the daughter would take them. She would tear the tickets, hand it to the guests, to the spectator, and then put the torn half in the machine.
Speaker 3: So I'm watching and.
Speaker 12: She does that.
Speaker 5: She takes she takes the tears. Party I think of three came in. She took all three tickets and tore them, and then a couple of people went by. She took the tickets and just told them to go on in. She didn't tear them, and she got one her right hand. She's holding something in her right hand, you can see it. She tears a couple more tickets, and then another two or three come by, and she doesn't well. I went on for about oh no, I watched for about five minutes, and she tore her stay. She tore fifteen tickets, well, seven or eight. She didn't tear single tickets. So after there was a lull in people coming in. She walked up to the desk or her mom was selling. She laid down on the desk on the side of her that. Uh boy, she could put her hand right hand right in front of her mom. But she put her hand on the table and her mother reached out almost. I thought, my boy, she want to hold hands with her, And the daughter opened her hand. As soon as she pulled her hand away, Mom's hand was there and Mom all of a sudden has something in her hand. So I'm watching now. What happened was that it looked like were double selling ticket. So or two weeks later we had a show and the other one't azard. We had one in Orland. I was the area of the building where I could see it, and the same thing.
Speaker 3: So I went to Ron.
Speaker 5: I went to Ron four, so.
Speaker 3: Get you get the who's going to do? It's not like it's going to continue like he does.
Speaker 2: But that gets a the whole thing of like, you know, he confronts him and Ron Fuller would look him in the eyes and then he does this whole thing about you know, I know body language. And Ron was given all the red flags of no one what I was talking about and wouldn't look at me and all that. But so it's the similar method, right, It's like the whole significance is when you tear a ticket and put it in the thing, that's that's a sold ticket that they have evidence of. But if you never put one half of the ticket in there, you can take the money for that ticket put in your pocket and there's no proof because that ticket wasn't torn, so it doesn't look like it was sold right, and that was the scam. And it's both sides, it's every side that alleges something similar happens. So I just thought that was unbelievable that like that, that Jarrett essentially alleges the Fuller is a different Fuller did the same thing to him, or at least presided over the same thing.
Speaker 3: Happening to him. I don't know, I'm not surprised.
Speaker 7: So that's Uh.
Speaker 3: Those are the people that Hull Hogan is working with in the earliest days of his precocious career. This is these are the characters that are all around on all sides. Makes you think, oh, maybe you know, like who is he makes you wonder why he's getting a little nervous right, makes you want to way he thinks the wrestling business is primarily, you know, populated by people that are looking to skim money off of you and fuck you every way they can. So let's hear it from Jerry Jarrett's lips directly. Yeah, he did a shoot interview along extended one that I'd highly recommend with Hannibal before his passing at his home in Tennessee, talking about a lot of this stuff, and of course in particular the arrival of Hulk. Some of this will kind of retread that the passage we read from the book when Hulk comes to visit has the whoppers and stuff, but there's a bit more to to chew on and it's always great to hear the voices come to life. So here from the Hannibal shooting interview, Jerry Jarrett talking about Louis till that's involvement in Hulk coming in.
Speaker 10: Louis to limb or on a book. Are down in Florida and Louie called me and said, Jerry, I've got this kid down here that is big and looks like Charles Atlas and but he can't wrestle. But I think if you would spend some time with him, you turn him into a talent. So I told Louis send him up, and when he got there, when he arrived at my house, I thought, Holy cal didn't describe this guy. I mean, he was the most impressive person I'd ever seen. So we did that. I call my production people and we did that first video where we started at his feed pan, the camera had him pose and.
Speaker 4: He just.
Speaker 10: You know, there's a funny thing about a wrestler, and you've probably experienced this. Most people when they start out in the business are pretending to be a wrestler and then something snaps in their head and they go, I am a wrestler. Hogan, that didn't snap in his head, Oh my god, until he left here here he was pretending to be arrest and of course he was learning. I think he might have been when Vince Senior first, when I sent him from here up there haven't snapped yet, and I think that's what Senior noticed. You know, he don't really think of himself as a wrestler. I think it happened when he was overworking for Verncarna. I think it dawn know him I am a wrestler.
Speaker 3: So it does not dawn on Terry Bulay that he's a wrestler until like nineteen eighty one. Well, brother, exactly, talk about a concerning remark a wrestler, dude, we don't vout what he's enough of a wrestler to play people off each other for a better payday, that's for sure. How about the name the Hulk, So who came up with that? Jerry?
Speaker 13: Is it you?
Speaker 9: And when he came here, he was known as Terry Boulder. And I think you gave him the name of the Hulk.
Speaker 3: Is that true? Yes, he was.
Speaker 10: His room name is Terry Bullay and he introduced himself as Terry Boulder. And then when we did that interview, I said, I think we're going to call you at the Hope. And he said, well, I don't want to get in trouble with comic book comic book character. And I said, now, as long as you don't call it yourself the incredible hup. Hull is a descriptive attitude, he said, okay, so we just called him the.
Speaker 3: Houp an adjective. Okay, you don't. You don't have a hulk muscle, or a Hulk car or a hulk house. It's not an adjective. Check check the adjective. It's Kevin Nash's definition. Maybe, but okay.
Speaker 2: So to hear Jerry tell it, he gave him the name Hulk when they came up with the fucking vignette in the basement or even though he's being advertised as Hulk in Alabama for months and newspapers before this. And he also says that Hulk himself voiced concern about the copyright implications of using the name. So again, maybe Hulk gives Jared the nod here of coming up with it because he's the one willing to accept the blame for violetting copyright. What did you know we talked about the whoppers?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm left wondering what did Terry Boley leave behind after consuming all that burger king in Jerry Jarrett's kitchen.
Speaker 3: You know, Oh, I think is toilet toilet, something in the category of essence left behind? Jerry?
Speaker 4: What? What?
Speaker 3: What did he leave behind? After they did leave and he was went, it was wet, it was wet already and he was went. This is before he.
Speaker 10: Got ready for the shoe, and my wife went and brought him a towel. And then after it was all over and they left, she said, I've never seen anybody sweat like that chair he was sitting in was win. Well. I don't know what that condition is. I don't know if it's steroids caused the shoe to sweat nerves or I don't know what it was for. He hes sweated a lot.
Speaker 3: I mean, he had six fucking whoppers. It's making meat sweat, meat sweats. What what was he Jerry, And he was wet.
Speaker 10: He was wet and he was webb.
Speaker 3: I saw he was wet, and Pussy was wet good in the cream all and my watch, Pussy was wet when she saw him wet he was, he was weat. Oh my god, he was waging. Even then he got that detail out of it. Oh oh he was wad. But look he was writing so hard that he know how my he would sweat. It was course, of course when he was in the ring, he'd be like two minutes into the match and his hair is stringy. Oh yeah, those yes, come on, those were the fucking days that it was fucking crazy. But I mean for doing nothing though, that's the thing. He did nothing. He did nothing, and he was waant. I love also heard that. I don't know if I ever heard the word wet with two syllables waat and he was wimped wm h fucking Jared's Jarrett. I'm I'm left and awe just I just picture him leaving this puddle. Oh yeah, I mean I listen, like every step he takes like just a little couple of droplets. Oh he was waat. They're on their way to wrestle Oh my god, Terry and Eddie are on their way up to Memphis to give this thing a shot. And uh, before we leave, Jerry, or at least uh these clips, we got to get to a couple of things. Okay, First, I would ask you to read this passage. This is from Hogan's second book. They're on the road bus and they're headed to Memphis. Heading to Memphis, way we get wet. So Bruce and I drove to Memphis with this one night to wrestle as the Boulder Brothers, and we put on a hell of a show. I know because Jared, Because Jared and Lawler pulled me aside immediately after the Mattress City. Terry, we wanted to come up work work here. I told him I couldn't. I was committed to the Alabama territory, you know. Louis to Ledgid giving me a break when I really needed it, and I couldn't let him down. Then they asked me how much money I was making one five a week. I said, well, we'll give you eight hundred dollars or a week guarantee. Oh I was shocker. So I wasn't as much of a mark as I used to be. But I wasn't totally disloyal either, So I played real cool and I told him I needed to get back and talk to Tilled about it. I'm not exactly what I did. I went back to Alabama and confronted to let you know, I'm rustled seven days a week for you and bolder brothers were making a name and drawing audiences. How come I only making one to seventy five tops. His response that all the year worth and all you desire. So I hit him with the eight hundred a week guarantee. I've just been offered Memphis and said, Ed and I were leaving and just about shit a brick, and he called Jared Lawler Memphis Screening. How come you ste your talent? I did you a fair for one night, and this is what happens. How can you do this? So I thought he was in on funneling these guys. You know, he was pissed, dude. It didn't matter. You know, Bruce and I already had one foot in the van at that point. We were on our way to the big time and we knew it. You know, the offer came at the perfect moment because just as we were rolling to Memphis, the motor blew out of the gold van. You know, not only was that was that van our home, but it was it was the only transportation we had to get to wrestling gigs. No one flew in those days, and the matches were all over the place. Boss. I'm left to wonder, did Jerry just grab Hulk just to fuck Louis Toilette for being involved that? I would love that. I would love that. We have to consider the possibility, you know, like it was Splitsville because he was like, fuck these two you know me in Ohio totally and they're they're doing well with this Hulk guy down there. Let me see what I can do about doubling his money. Yep, I believe that quadrupling his money actually more like it. Yeah. Yeah, Memphis Territory. You know, it'll be a two hundred mile drive to Nashville and one night than two hundred and fifty miles to two below Mississippi the fix, you know, the next followed by Evans, Indiana, nine hours away. The venues. You were never lined up up in a road to make it easy. Nobody planned like that, so you were literally all over the map. You imagine if the van had broken down. While we were broken living in the beach, what would he had done? As soon as we rolled into Memphis, Jared took me straight out and bought me a big green Lincoln Continental. I'll pay him back for it, but he was more than happy to front me the money. He treated me like his like one of his own right away, and since he was paying me eight hundred dollars a week, I didn't need a van of sleeping anymore. As I started rising to Memphis, Jared asked me to go to go on TV now and then to promote matches. And I go certainly talk the talk. You know, all after all those years listening to Dusty Rhoads and interacting with audiences and all those bands, I was a natural. I also said, hey, brother in that real Hulk Cogan style stuff quite yet, but I could say, Hey, this is Terry Boulder, and I wanted you to come down to the Mobile Civic Center where you'll see the greatest wrestlers in the world. One day, I went on a local talk show and wound up sitting on air right next to Loof for Rigno. That's right, the guy who's who played the incredible Hulk, who was all over people's TV with his green body makeup. At the time, he was a real nice guy and everyone was so impressed by how huge he looked with those big, bulging muscles. The thing was sitting next to me at that point in my life. The guy looked kind of small, and that blew Jerry jard away. I got back to the dressing room after the show and Jerry was like, no, good God, Terry, you were sitting on TV and you were bigger than the Hulk that moment on Jerry Jared started billing me as Terry the Hulk Boulder wherever I wrestled. I would like to know if anyone had the opportunity to confront Hulk Hogan about with news articles. I'm sure no one did, but the news articles clearly calling him the Hulk way before he was there. Fuck that. How about confronting him with what Jerry Jared himself said to the Hannibal.
Speaker 9: And I've heard you say this isn't true, But the way he tells it in his book is you saw him on TV. Wa you know who was the real hold and you thought you looked bigger than the whole.
Speaker 3: It was that Jerry en it happened. It didn't happen. It happened him, that didn't happen. The Terry ba story there it is. That's right.
Speaker 2: Well, the Vans loaded up, the deal is made, the terms are agreed to. Control of Memphis is now solidified under Jerry Jarrett and Jerry Lawler. The Fullers be damned, the welch Is be damned, Louis toi Lett be damned. Even it seems like and it's time for the Hulk of Alabama to become Terry the Hulk, Boulder, brother to Ed Boulder, and foil to none other than Jerry the King Lawler, and the Shrine of Memphis Wrestling the Mid South Coliseum. As we get into what it looked and felt like as Terry Bolea takes to Memphis Television next time on the Complete Hulk Hogan.
Speaker 3: The plays a production of the Lapsed Entertainment Group. Its content is intended for private use only what we want