Speaker 1: When you stand up for God when it's the right thing to do, even when it's unpopular. Standing for God builds my faith and character. Standing for God builds my faith and character. Character. That's who you are. Reputations what you want people to think you are. Character is what you really are. What's what you are in the dark. Character and faith are like muscles, and the only way you build a muscle is by stressing it. That's why you have to That's the power of weightlifting. When you lift weights, you're straining your muscle. You're stretching your muscle. You're stressing your muscle. The only way your muscle grows is when it is stressed, strained, and stretched. You're not building any muscle sitting at home, you know, eating bond bonds and watching you know, watching how much does that dress cost?
Speaker 2: It's my favorite show. I don't know about yours.
Speaker 1: But you're not develop any muscle, any spiritual muscle, emotional, relational, or physical muscle sitting there.
Speaker 2: When you play it safe, your life gets weaker and weaker and weaker.
Speaker 1: You get punier and punier in your emotions, in your relationships, in your faith, in your character. When you're not straining, stressing, and stretching your faith, stretching your character. So when you make a stand for God to go, I'm scared to death to do this. You know what what it's called. When you're scared to death to do something and you do it anyway, that's called courage. If you're not afraid, you're not courageous. Only people who are afraid are courageous. If you're not afraid, you're not courage. You don't need any courage. Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is doing the right thing in spite of your fear. That's what makes a courageous woman. That's what makes a courageous man. You do the thing you fear in spite of the and that's called courage. And when you stand for God, it builds your faith and your character and their courage. Two Timothy one six one eight. You must never be ashamed to tell others about our Lord with the strength that God gives you, that's your character. Okay, that's your faith. With the strength God gives you. Be ready to suffer if necessary, to share the good news. Question, what are you willing to do in order to be true to your faith? Are you willing to be put down? Are you willing to have somebody look at you funny? Are you willing to be gossiped about? What are you willing? How much character do you really have? The fact is we have a lot of cowardly Christians. We have a lot of wimpy Christians who they can't even handle anybody possibly looking at them sideways. What are you willing to do? Many times throughout history Christians went before lions, or went to the cross, or or martyred. You know this year? Did you know this year millions of Christians were martyred around the world. It's so common, it's not even in the news all the time.
Speaker 2: But they're martyred for their faith. Still happens.
Speaker 1: Yes, millions of people in all kinds of different countries are martyred for their faith.
Speaker 2: It builds your character.
Speaker 1: Number three, The third benefit of when you stand strong for God is it gives God a chance to do a miracle. It gives God a chance to do a miracle. I know a lot of Christians who've never seen ever in their life, a legitimate miracle, and the reason why is because they have played it safe their entire life. They've never taken any risks. They've never done anything that had slightly any bit of unsafety to it. And don't be afraid to go out on a limb. That's where the fruit is. Don't be afraid to rock the boat. If Jesus Christ is your captain. If you play this safe, you don't dive in the deep in. You spend your entire life at Baby Beach, playing around in the shallows, kicking around the sand and the shallows, and you never dive into the deep end. You're not going to need any miracles. If you don't tackle any big problem in your life, you don't know that God can solve them. If you've never even admitted you had a problem, God shows up when you reached.
Speaker 2: The end of your rope.
Speaker 1: If you never do anything that can't be explained away by your own power, then you've never really trusted God. Most people go through life defining their life by what they think they can do.
Speaker 2: You are capable of so much more. Really, if there's.
Speaker 1: Anything I can do as your friend, your pastor who loves you, your coach, is to help you see that you are capable of so much more than you realize.
Speaker 2: It's just your fears are holding you back.
Speaker 1: When you step out in faith, you know you got to get out of the boat to walk on water. When you step out on faith, it gives God a chance.
Speaker 2: To do a miracle. I have had so many miracles in.
Speaker 1: My life because I'm constantly painting myself into a corner and saying, God, how are we going to get out of this one. I often put myself in a situation literally where I'm forced to trust God where I go. There's no way this is going to happen. I'm so far out here on a limb. I'm so far out here in a limb, in physically, emotionally, financially, that this is bound to fail unless God bails us out. And when you trust God like that, the miracles start happening in your life. Daniel had miracles because he wasn't afraid to take risks like let's throw open the windows, and I'm just go ahead and pray in public, in front of everybody, in spite of the fact that this is now a capital offense. It's worthy of death, and the law cannot be rescinded, So we'll just throw open Who threw open the windows?
Speaker 2: He did?
Speaker 1: He did now because Daniel took this risk in faith, and he said, you know what, if I go down, I'm going to go down talking about God. He said, I'm not going to back off. I'm not going to back down. I'm not going to back away. I'm not going to back slide. I'm going to go for it. I'm going to stand up for Christ at my work.
Speaker 2: Do you do that?
Speaker 1: You stand up for Christ in the workplace, in the on the work site, you stand up for Christ on the website, you ever talk about God on the website. When you do that, it opens the.
Speaker 2: Door to miracles. Now here's what happened.
Speaker 1: When Daniel was picked up and thrown into the pit of the lions because he had broken this law. The news guild comes back to the king and the king is distraught.
Speaker 2: You can read this later.
Speaker 1: Because the king loved Daniel, like I said, He'd made him the third most powerful ruler in his kingdom, and he said, I'm going to put him over the whole kingdom. And now he says, because of my stupid ego, I signed a dumb law, and the guy I loved more than anybody else in this kingdom is going to die because of my ego. I let them convince me, those lackeys to make a law that says everybody should pray.
Speaker 2: To me for thirty days. How ludicrous is that?
Speaker 1: And the Bible tells us that King Darius, after when he heard that Daniel had been thrown into the lions, didn't he couldn't eat, or sleep or do anything else. Said he stayed up all night. He was worried. His stomach was in a knot. He said he wouldn't eat. They brought him food. He was fasting. He couldn't sleep because he was so worried for Daniel. And it said he had no entertainment, so he didn't watch a TV that night, and he's so nervous. And the next morning he wakes up and going, you know, I know Daniel trust is God. He's not my God. He's Daniel's God. And I've seen that God do miracles for this guy. I wonder if he helped him out. And here where we pick up the story Daniel six verse nineteen. It says here at the first light of dawn, the king got up and hurried to the pit filled with lions, and when he got there, he called to Daniel in an anguished voice. This is his friend, Daniel, servant of the Living God. It's not my God, but he's your God, servant of the Living God. Has your God, whom you serve continually been able to rescue you from the lions? It's a pretty good question, particularly for an unbeliever. Okay, the God you claim to worship, did he did he bail you out?
Speaker 2: Did he save you? Did he rescue you?
Speaker 1: And Daniel answered, oh, King, oh King, My God sent his angel and he shut the mouths of the lions. And they have not hurt me at all because God knew I've done nothing against him or you, o King, i'n't been disloyal to you.
Speaker 2: I've been loyal to you.
Speaker 1: And the King was overjoyed, and he gave orders to lift Daniel out of the pit. Have you ever been lifted out of a pit? God wants to do that for you this weekend. And when Daniel was lifted out, there was not a single scratch on his body because he had trusted God. Has God ever rescued you out of a pit? Maybe you've played it so safe you've never actually been put in a pit because of your faith. But if you ever get put in a pit and you get put in advice, you get put in a difficult situation. What do you do? You praise God? You thank God in advance. You just trust God. He gives God a chance to do a miracle. There's a fourth benefit, number four. When you stand firm, when you stand strong for God publicly at work, it encourages other believers to stand up. Did you know the courage is contagious. When you are contagious, it causes other people to get contagious. And when you stand strong for God, it causes other people to stand strong for Did you ever see Brave Heart. They're all willy nilly, wimpy, you know, scared of the English guys. And then one guy goes freedom and then he goes, yeah, freedom and they go running into battle with picks and axes and stuff like that. What Because courage is contagious, and when you show courage, you may just be surprised. How many people come out of the woodwork and out of the shadows at your work, at your job site, waiting for somebody to be a leader. Does somebody have enough courage and character and confidence in God?
Speaker 2: Go whatever?
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna say, you know what I think this is right, and I think this is what godlets do, and here's what we should do, and other people will follow that, Paul says in Philippians, Chapter one, verse fourteen. Because of what I've been through, and he'd been through a lot, many of the Christians here have gained confidence and they have become more bold in telling others about Christ. If you'll just be bold a little bit, it'll bring boldness out of other people around you, because courage is contagious. I know many of you use the Daily Hope Devotionals as part of your regular Bible study, and so I want to share some exciting news. We've put three hundred and sixty five of the best devotionals into a brand new book that we're calling the Daily Hope Devotional, Purpose, Peace, and Promise for every Day. This devotional book is designed with clear, practical biblical teaching to help you make knowing God your number one priority. I believe it will help you stay focused on God throughout the day as he provides you with real purpose, lasting peace, and his unfailing promises. Imagine starting every day like that. This book is a great way to share the hope you have in Jesus with your friends. Co workers and relatives. I hope you'll get a copy for everyone you know.
Speaker 3: Be sure and request your copy. When you partner with daily hope to take the word of God to a hurting world.
Speaker 1: A fifth benefit of when you stand for God even when you're scared to death at work, or in your neighborhood, or on the golf course or wherever. It is a powerful example to unbelievers. It is a powerful example to unbelievers. Now let me give you three examples of this, a New Testament one, and then a couple of Old Testament ones. But first we see it in the life of Peter and John, followers of Jesus, and they're hauled in before the council, and the council in Jerusalem had said, we strictly warned you that you were.
Speaker 2: To never mention the name of Jesus.
Speaker 1: And Peter and John go, huh, wait a minute, this is the guy who was raised from the dead. We're not afraid of you. You can't tell us not to do that. We're going to talk about Jesus. We know he's the son of God, we know he's in savior of the world. We've seen him do miracles. We're not afraid of you. And verse thirteen it says when the council saw the boldness of Peter and John their courage, they were amazed since they knew that these were just ordinary men. But they'd been with Jesus. That's why they were courageous. When you get with Jesus, you're going to be bold the more time you spend with him. Remember, this is why Daniel was not afraid. Three times a day, He's having a conversation with God every day of his life for eighty two years. Well, no, wonder, he's not afraid. He'd been with Jesus. Here's another example. We actually see this in King Darius's life. You know that the result of this story, another king becomes a believer. King Darius, a pagan king, comes to faith in God. This is the second guy that where Daniel has led his boss to faith. Wouldn't it be great if you could lead your boss to faith? Wouldn't that be great? Could leave your employer, the owner of your company, the owner of your corporation to faith in Christ?
Speaker 2: What's it going to say? Boldness? This is all it takes. Boldness.
Speaker 1: And because Daniel was bold, another king first nabucon Ezer the Babylonian king, now Darius, the mead Meto Persian king. He comes to Christ, he comes to God. Here, here's what it says. Look up here on the screen, verse twenty five Daniel six. So then after he saw the miracle in Daniel's life, then King Darius sent this proclamation to every nation and race and language on earth. This is, by the way, it's about five point thirty eight BC. That's when this is happening. We know this because we know when the Means and Persians took over the Babylonian empire. He sent this decree to everybody. I decree that the God of Daniel is to be honored and worshiped in every part of my kingdom, for he is the living God. Oh he just stepped across the line there, Okay, he no longer a pagan. He is the living God, not some dead idol, the one who endures forever, and his kingdom will outlast all human kingdoms. And then notice what he says. He is a god who rescues and saves. That guy's just been saved. Have you been rescued and saved by God? And he says he does miracles just as he rescued Daniel from the power of the lions. So Daniel continue to be successful during the reign of King Darius and then in the following the reign of Cyrus the Persian. The guy just can do nothing wrong. He just keeps getting promoted and promoted and promoted. His whole life is just an incredible success story. Why because he passes every test with courage, and when the chips are down, he goes let them fall. I'm going to open the windows. I'm going to stand for God. And if I go down for God, so be it. But I'm going to stand for God. And that kind of there is almost nothing that God won't do for a person who has that kind of faith in him, almost nothing. You would be amazed at what God would do in your life if you would just walk out in faith, if you would begin to be bold like Daniel and go, I'm going to stand for God. I'm going to stand up for God. I'm going to speak up for God. I'm going to stick up for God. I'm not gonna worry about what other people think.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be.
Speaker 1: Polite, but I'm going to be courageous. And so it's a powerful example to unbelievers not only in your generation, but did you know that the decisions you make if you stand for God now, it could influence your kids, and your grandkids and their kids and on and on into future generations. In fact, it can even influence unbelievers in future generations the story of your faith. Wouldn't that be cool? You say, We'll give me an example. How about Christmas. In about a month and a half, we're gonna celebrate the Christmas season, and everybody puts up these major scenes, and every major scene there's marrying Joseph and the baby, and the cows and the sheep and the shepherds and.
Speaker 2: The who who the wise men?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's look at that verse here on the screen, Matthew Chapter two, after Jesus was born in Bethlehem, wise men from the east, you mean, you know where they're coming from, the Babylonian Persian Empire. They're coming from Iran, in Iraq, That's where the wise men came from. Jesus was born in bethlaem Wise men from the east came to Jerusalem, asking where is the one who's been born King of the Jews. We saw his star from the east, and we have come to worship him.
Speaker 2: What gives here?
Speaker 1: Babylonians and Persians are not known for being Jews, and yet they know the prophecies about the Messiah. How in the world did the wise men show up at Christmas?
Speaker 2: Because of Daniel.
Speaker 1: Daniel is the reason the wise men showed up a christ Eighteen generations later. His impact is still playing out in those kingdoms. This is the guy who, for eighty five years lives his faith in a pagan world, and you're gonna have to live your faith in a pagan world. He lives his faith in a pagan world fearlessly, uncompromisingly, lovingly, and he just succeeds and succeeds, and he prays in public, and he talks about God in public, and he writes down things, and he does prophecies, and he leads two of the emperors, one Babylonian and one Persian, to Christ. And so these wise men eighteen generations later, are very familiar with Hebrew prophecies because Daniel had so impacted that kingdom. That is the power of courage, that is the power standing strong for God when everybody else in the kingdom around you is going that's not right. This is right, and they say what you believe is politically incorrect, and what you believe is wrong, and what you believe.
Speaker 2: Is out of date.
Speaker 1: Daniel didn't care. It's not important to be on the right side of history. It's important to be right. And Daniel was right. And eighteen generations later, wise men from the East, from these two empires come to worship Jesus.
Speaker 2: That is the power of.
Speaker 1: One man totally committed to God, not a whimp, not a coward, a real man, a real woman. They'll see the impact of his life today. Now there's one other benefit, Okay, all of these things happen. That standing for God's a victory over fear. It builds your faith in character, It's an opportunity for God to do a miracle. It encourages other believers to stand up. It's a witness. It's a testimony to unbelievers. I believe your best example to non Christians around you, your two best witnesses are probably A how you handle pain and b how you handle something that's unpopular. Do you have courage to stand up for what you say? You claim to believe your courage in opposition and your steadfastness in pain are your two best witness testimony example to the world, and Daniel did this. Now, the sixth thing that happens, the sixth benefit of every time you stand strong for God is I will be rewarded in eternity. Now, the fear you feel it's temporary. It's going to last a few seconds or maybe a few minutes. But the benefit is going to last for trillions and trillions and trillions and trillions of years. Because God is watching to see who trusts him. God is watching who's willing to lay it on the line. God is watching to see who is willing to stand up for him. And Jesus said, if you stand up for me, I'll stand up for you for my father in Heaven. Here's what Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount Matthew, chapter five. Jesus says this, consider yourselves blessed. If people put you down, or throw you out, or speak lies about you because of me, Oh, let me start her there circle. Because of me, he says, if you get put down because you humbly spoke up for the truth, you humbly shared my love you in total compassion, share my plan and good news for the world. He said, if you are put down, you're thrown out, you lose your job, people lie about you. They you know, they the trolls attack you on the internet because of me. He says, If that happens, be happy, why knowing that you will be rewarded greatly in heaven. Circle the word greatly. You will be rewarded greatly in heaven. When you get to heaven. I want you to have a lot of rewards. I want you to be rewarded greatly because you had the courage to stand up at work and say, you know, I am a believer in Christ. I know not everybody agrees with this, but die He's changed my life. And I'm so grateful. And I don't serve him out of duty. I serve him out of love. I'm just so grateful my past has been forgiven. I got a purpose for living. I got a home in heaven. What's the big deal about that? Where else are you going to get that? When you stand up? He says, you will be rewarded greatly in heaven. And he says, by the way, when all this putdowns come along, remember you're in good company. Jesus said, because they did the same to all my witnesses. Before you, but he said, don't worry about it. You're going to be rewarded in heaven. Let me wrap it up here. Daniel is eighty two years old when this happens, and he's not even finished because he passed this test. His greatest contribution to the world happens when he's eighty five years old. At eighty five, he is given by God the secrets of the mystery of history. And God tells Daniel, not anybody else, how the world and history are going to end. And that's the rest of the Book of Daniel. We're not even going to cover all that.
Speaker 2: Scholars have studied it for years and years and years.
Speaker 1: It's brilliant and he reveals things that nobody could have known any other way. And he's getting this at eighty five years of age. Daniel started strong as a teenager. He's starting strong for God, and then he became strong in his twenties and thirties, and then he stayed strong in his forties and fifties and sixties, and now at eighty five, he's ending strong.
Speaker 2: I want you to end strong.
Speaker 1: I know many of you use the Daily Hope devotionals as part of your regular Bible study, and so I want to share some exciting news. We've put three hundred and sixty five of the best devotionals into a brand new book that we're calling the Daily Hope Devotional Purpose, Peace, and Promise for every Day. This devotional book is designed with clear, practical biblical teaching to help you make knowing God your number one priority. I believe it will help you stay focused on God throughout the day as He provides you with real purpose, lasting peace, and his unfailing promises. Imagine starting every day like that. This book is a great way to share the hope you have in Jesus with your friends, coworkers, and relatives. I hope you'll get a copy for everyone you know.
Speaker 3: Be sure and request your copy when you partner with Daily Hope to take the word of God to a hurting world.