Speaker 1: Welcome to mid Rats with sal from Commander Salamander, an Eagle one from Eagle Speak at seer Shure your home for a discussion of national security issues and all things maritime. And welcome on board everybody. Thank you for joining us for another edition of mid Rats, And if you are with us live, I'd like to extended invitation for you because it's extra advantageous today is go ahead and scroll over to the chat room. I'll hop right in there. We'll be monitored during the course of the conversation, and usually we have guests here, people will make some observations or even suggest a question or two. But today we have our ever popular and ever famous Melee format for here in the middle of May. Perhaps not March, it's the other month. It's March, not May.
Speaker 2: Oh, we're not confused though.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I just need more caffeine and I'll be fine. But yeah, it's like June July. As long as I know what year it is, I'm feeling all right.
Speaker 3: Put it in there.
Speaker 1: If that's a topic or question you want us to bounce into, that's the perfect place to do it. And always want to extend the invitation to everybody. If you don't already, going over to iTunes, secer, Spotify wherever you are and go ahead and subscribe to the podcast. That way, if you can join us live, we'll be there waiting for you. And like I said, we do not have a guest today is just marking myself pontificating about things. And we cheated because in the pre show we pretty much know what we wanted to kick off with. And it's something that has momentum to go from one Congress to another. I wrote a bit about it right before the November election. It didn't get passed, but it's got even more enthusiasm behind it now and there'll be some changes made to it perhaps, But let's talk a little bit about what makes all navalists toes tingle the ships at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ship building in harbor, infrastructure for prosperity and security for America.
Speaker 3: That's a mouthful.
Speaker 1: I think one of the things that gives it so much of a boost is it really is bipartisan. Is In the previous Congress, the point man on it on the Republican side of the House, in the House of Representative Is was Mike Waltz, who's now the National Security Advisor he's in the administration, so he knows the rhythm, he knows the story. And in the last Congress, the Democrats had the Senate and retired Navy Captain Mark Kellnedy now Senator, a Democrat at Arizona, he had the point on their end and it got a fair bit of sponsors, but not enough to really get a vote last Congress. And there was a couple of things when I wrote on in October that some staffers spot welded onto it that are probably unnecessary that I think will be cleaned up if it looked at again. But I think what has me looking forward to it being regenerated and resubmitted for this Congress once people have a chance to take a deep breath and catch up to everything that's going on, is the fact that the executive branch and the President UH and his Secretary of Defense and pretty much most of the players in his national security operas have you know, responded to to the bell. It's there's a lot of talk about pro seapower, bigger navy, better navy maintenance, shipyards, infrastructure, merchant marine. So we're having the right things being said. Again that has to have action behind it. However, you're not going to get action if you don't have the words in the top cover and you've got it from the Commander in chief on down. So I think, uh, the details of what comes in the the hopefully the Resurrected and Resubmitted Ships Act, I think it will flow in real well with the President's priorities. We have bipartisan support in the House and the Senate. There's really no reason why some version of this can't see the light of day sooner more than later.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 1: It's an exciting exciting thing to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been it's a hot topic. The President has said, uh, make ship building greater. God, you seem to have a motto kind of thing going on. Uh, But Brando and they've they've named they've they've changed the name of a group of folks that are already working for the National Security Council from the Maritime and Industrial Capacity Group to the the the Office of ship Building. And they've got a couple of people already there who has been pointed out by some other folks are not necessarily experts in shipbuilding. That concerns me less than that they're experts in moving money around and getting things done because we can always hire experts in shipbuilding. That's why there are shipbuilders, and so I think this is going to be really interesting. I'm excited about it. We're getting a new see it. What's he called, Secretary of the Navy, John Phalen, who is He's another money guy, I think, and that's going to be helpful for the Navy because up to now, I'm not sure we've been managing the money very well. Has probably when we ever pass an audit, we'll find out what happened to a lot of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am.
Speaker 1: I'm not sold very much on some of the critiques that Phalan has been receiving. You he's not from industry, he doesn't know the system.
Speaker 3: To me, that's a benefit.
Speaker 1: I look at what we've done, especially on the surface side of the house, in the last quarter century, and to be blunt, we're not going to get different, hopefully better results with people from that industry, from that background, with that friend group. You have a gentleman who is unquestionably successful, and what he's successful at is looking at organizations, finding out what's healthy, what's not, what need works, what needs to be left behind. And the Navy needs a good wire brushing like that because I don't see a convincing argument that we have overperformed in the last quarter century and things have to get really bad before they get better. But I mean, we've talked about it a lot over the years, in the last few years especially. I love the argument. My answer is both. But people argue submarines are our capital ships, aircraft carriers are capital ships. Well, when you have attack submarines literally spend years welded to the peer waiting for maintenance, and everybody just kind of shrugs, that's that's a sign that we have a system that's.
Speaker 3: Almost frozen in place.
Speaker 1: So you need somebody who's had success in other areas that's going to come in and he'll hire the right people. He'll hire the folks that can tell him what the damn acronym means and probably can tell you listen to none of what that guy says. Listens to a lot of what that guy says, and I don't believe anything after the first two minutes from this guy, and that's that's an important skill to have. I think it's also interesting that they've Originally it was thought that you're going to have another outside individual come in as the under, but again with different people breaking the mold of a different background. Retire another retired Navy captain Hung caw EOD guy coming in as he under. He will have a different view of the Navy than a lot of other folks. And I think, can you know, be the let me explain you what this act that means? Uh to fail And I think that's an interesting pairing. They both kind of break the mold. But being that the mold we've been using has not been producing products fit for service, I think there's lots of opportunity here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Personally, I mean worked with some of the EO dkis and you know, they're a hoot. I mean that is that is a that is a small group of folks who do a really important mission. And I think that the way they you know, the way they work their teams and the way they work their assets, it is uh, that may be a really helpful model as we as we move forward, because some of the big stuff we do we need to take a hard look at. I mean, the potential secretary that maybe failing has said he wants to do a complete overhaul of shipbuilding goals and processes, and you know, then you get this industry best practices stuff, you know, So I hate buzzwords like that, but in this case, I'm not as concerned because Lord knows, we're using the industry best practices now and a lot of our efforts and and you know when when you I think I referenced a few shows ago that that there was a really nice presentation by one of the submarine whoever the submarine PEO is, I think, and you know, they're talking about the need to get the parts availability and all that good stuff in line, because that's what's holding up a lot of these ship uh and submarine processes is you know, it's we need to have a solid pipeline of this, of the of the materials we need to build the ships. We need to have this and this benefits everybody in the country because the economy will you know, it is driven by the processes of getting the materials and supplies you need to the place you need them, when you need them, and before you need them. Because I think we're just about done with the just in time shipbuilding processes, and so I'm very hopeful, yeah, that this will work out and that the you know that there's enough Doge whoever's looking into the personnel people can take a hard look at NAVC and try and figure out what exactly some of those eighty three thousand people do there. I know there are a lot of good folks there, but you know, we also see a lot of I think we talked about this recently with one of our guests, that there's a core of yeah, we've got these rules, we can't bend these rules. We have to do it exactly this way, and every since everybody that has a hand on some of these projects says that, then all of a sudden, your rule bound instead of mission driven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's there's a lot of reason for optimism out there in some ways, and you get the ship sack there. We have a lot of top cover and a lot of the reason why we have trouble with our industrial base and our infrastructure is simply there hasn't been much of a demand signal there, or a consistent demand signal. These are profit and lost companies, and a lot of when they disappear, you don't have that ability yet. And these are American jobs, good paying jobs, and it is really a national security asset because on Friday I did a post about I'm not even gonna try to pronounce it. It's the zaikaku. I can't pronounce Japanese words very well. Where's my friend Brent sadlerk he knows Japanese fluently. But it was the last of the carriers that the Imperial Japanese Navy used to attack Pearl Harbor, and she was sunk the last of the sixth and she was sunk in October of forty four when she was part of the diversionary part in the Battle of Lata Golf that brought Halsey north.
Speaker 3: And you can.
Speaker 1: Look at the difference between the US, which had a very vigorous due to over half a decade of investment in the shipbuilding industry in the late mid to late thirties, the production that we had in the carriers that we produced in the course of that three year and eight month war, and that Japan pretty much fought with what she brought to the table, except for some very light and limited carriers that they were able to produce. That all had to do with industrial capacity and the ability to fight a long war, a vice what the Japanese were hoping for, that they would swat us so hard that we would back out. You know a lot of people get those briefs President Putin and it often doesn't work out that well.
Speaker 3: And you look.
Speaker 1: Today, Japan and China is the USA of the nineteen thirties when you look at that industrial capacity. And we had a nice show on I think we had Salmar Cogliano on where we talked about where we had sidelined over a dozen ships just to be able to repurpose to seven hundred mariners mare Ad. When you look at our ships that we do have. Ideally as part of this, I would like to see US production because you can build ships for mara Ad and our Naval Reserve Force cargo ships auxiliaries to mostly a different standard than warship. But we just don't have the ability. And there was an interesting article that John Grady over US and I News put out what's the date on here back on March sixth. I'll just do a little quote from it, and it's good news, but it also tells a story and I'm glad he acknowledges it. Okay, a little quote here, the head of US Transportation Command ask a key Senate panel for the authority to buy ten more used cargo vessels to support American forces overseas in combat. Air Force General Randall Reid said in a Thursday hearing. Unless moves are made quickly, by twenty thirty two to fifty four percent of government owned sea list ships will reach the end of their service life. He added, eighty five percent of the Navy's combat powers in the United States, and we need to be delivered by sea for our air for operational operations overseas. Acknowledging President Donald Trump's call to overhaul American ship building to compete with China, the Maritime Administration and Command needs to quote, get ships in any way we can, Reid said, for speed, that means buying used but newer vessels to support US C lift. We would like to buy four per year, but two it a minimum to maintain necessary sea lift capacity. Estimated to cost for two would be about two hundred and ten million unquote. Maybe we could repurpose some of the doze money that they're finding under the seat cushions. But it's it's it's sad because previous generations you could get on the phone and say, hey, we need to spit out two more auxiliaries a year out of our shipyards, and it could happen.
Speaker 3: Now we're going.
Speaker 1: Through the used car lot just to find good enough at the minimum numbers. That is pretty damning. But at least we're trying to buy them now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm less troubled by that than you are, because I think that.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm not troubled by it. Well, in my perfect world, we would be building new construction. But hey, I'm not gonna let the perfect be the enemy of the good. If we can get we still instead of driving around on my nineteen sixty nine Dodge panel truck, if I can pick up twenty twenty one Toyota, that'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need to put holes in the water and have holes available. I don't I don't care where they come from necessarily, and if it's you know, if it's less expensive to do that, then to try and get Nasco and San Diego to build us you know, some something like that or some of these other you know most you know, we're not. This is the problem. This is why the Ships Act is so important. We are not building cargo vessels, container ships and all that in the US, uh, unless for very specific purposes, for for Jones Act reasons and you know, so we end up we're looking at ships made every place else Korea, kind I don't know where else they're doing it these days, Norway maybe, And you know, that's just that's just it's killing us. We don't have the and I remember doing Desert Storm. It's some of the some of the ships that were that we hired to bring equipment over there were you know, I'm surprised they passed any kind of coast Guard inspection before they returned loose to to tote that equipment. And that's when we really geared up right after Desert Storm to get you know, all these marriages from Desert Storm. Was was a zillion years ago, it's relatively speaking, and you know, thirty thirty one years.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Here here's an interesting data point over on X. His ears must have been burning our buddy the other south Salamarcagliano. He just replied to our live stream over on X and interest the data point said about the used ships, he said, we paid one hundred and ten million for the last ship when it was built a decade and a half ago. It was eighty million. Supply and demand. I guess where's the art of the deal when it comes to gain about price inflation hit used cars too, So that's true here, Sure Dodge panel van is worth a lot more than you're paid for it. Probably, Well, if you take good care of a Dodge pedalvan, it becomes a classic.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Well, you know we've we need to build destroyers, we need to build frigates, we need to get this this stupid constellation class off the off, the off the mark. But you know, here's the other thing I was. I was, I have a new surface warfare hero Rear Admiral or I can say that. I can't say that's very off, but h Rear Admirald William Daley, who is N ninety six in the op NFT staff.
Speaker 3: UH.
Speaker 2: He gave a speech to the Surface Navy Association, and man, it's a burst of of of common sense. It's just incredible what he was talking about, and he's talking about getting What he's talking about is getting these these unmanned UH surface vessels out as fast as we can and and load them up with with four whatever whatever you can put in four forty foot containers, which includes I think what is that called the I think they tested him on the one of the l L LCS is the Mark seventy launcher forty foot container. You know, every one of those launchers has four uh missiles in it. So if you put four on a ship and they all have four, you just added sixteen missiles to your capacity when you go out to see with a with an unmanned ship. So that's I think that's a pretty significant thing. But what what Admiral Daily is saying. He says we need to stop going for the exquisite. Let me let me give you a quote. Instead of different large and medium designs, we need one craft that is affordable, non exquisite, can come off multiple production lines in an identical manner and go towards one of two payloads, either the envisioned magazine payload at the large us V or the envisioned I s R Medium USB payloads. We can build this craft in numbers at many shipyards. Designs already exist. We must not overspect this man. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I when I when I heard him say that, and it's it's uh, he's talking about the large USB And I think you've got a piece kind of on this about the DARPA. What is that thing called the us X one.
Speaker 3: Yea, yet the medium size.
Speaker 2: So you did it on your you did it on your substack and and you know that that isn't cool. But it's way too sophisticated for what we need. We need hauls in the water that are carrying equipment that can do damage to other people. I think Admiral Daily's right on with this, and he's gonna hope he keeps pushing this. He says, he'll keep pushing until somebody tells him to stop. But you know, let's let's let's suppose you put I mean and these are these are they're based on the mirror and the was the other two there were two offshore oil field the marri and Ranger Ranger demonstration vessels. To suppose you buy and they don't cost much. I mean, you can buy a used US one of those used oil oil field boats for I don't know, a couple of million.
Speaker 3: Offshore supply vessels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's say they cost Yeah, let's say they cost six million dollars or ten million dollars a new If you bought forty of them, you know you're not you haven't spent as much money as you would spend on one d d G, but you would you would then have forty times sixteen.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Of course you're not gonna use them all for missile gram Let's say you use you know, some number thirty of them for missile totage. Then you've added a whole bunch of new missiles to your system without having to expand your current ships, without having to wait for the for the Constellation class, without how to wait for new DDGs, without having to wait for some exquisit program that you'll never see, and and you don't risk any human lives in this. You know, these things whatever the whatever the complications are by how they're going to be run and who runs these things and all that stuff, you could you could you can drive these things if you have to. You can tow them across the ocean where you can where you can put them to use, and then turn them loose with the you know, four for each destroyer, give some to the AMFIB people to play with that they have. They have an offensive weapons system that can do some damage. You know, I I envisioned you could put a lot of these things in the water and it would be a real nightmare for whoever's on the other side. So I am really with this program, and I'm really impressed with the with that Mark sevent well, the Mark seventy launcher too. That that's pretty neat. They've already tried it out on the lcs But you can also put these things on lcs is so they can become useful too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's got used ashore see a lot of platforms, and I see your Daily. I'm gonna raise another Daily. I think you may have quoted part of this, but it's it's funny. I'm not saying that he might be a listener to mid rats. If so, EDERALD Daily, well done, like your listener, But I see a little echoes of things that you and I have said over the years in this quote.
Speaker 3: This is Admiral Daily quote.
Speaker 1: The large USB has a great purpose.
Speaker 3: It has walked that path.
Speaker 1: Towards exquisite, expensive, unpalatable. Daily said in a later Wednesday briefing with Reportals, I'm skeptical about that landing in the fleet instead of different large and medium designs into long quote, he's hitting exactly the problem. It's similar to what we have seen with the Loyal Wingman program. On the air side. Of the house is we actually pull the thread on these These are almost as expensive as the fighters that they're flying next to, because they've been over it. They're too exquisite, they're too nice, and you're just in that point about not being able to make it to the fleet. I would be really interested to see and hear a little hint about something I'm writing about tomorrow, if he has a background or watched in detail what happened to CGX. The reason why we don't have a replacement for our Takonder Roger cruisers is because their design went quote towards exquisite, expensive, palatable, and it just won't make it to the fleet. When you start quoting a price to Congress and they say, well we're waiting for this technology, we're waiting for that technology, they're going to go no reason to wait, because we're going to cancel the program. You know, it's that whole I don't know if you remember who that quote was. Give me, give me the third best option to the first. The first option will never work, the second best option won't show up in time. I need the third best option. Now, I think that's kind of the mindset and the correct mindset that daily is looking at it. Let's get it out there, and you may appreciate this again, I'm gonna take that this hobby horse. I've always been frustrated that our Navy has always underutilized the intellectual and human capital that it has that leaves active duty and goes into the reserves. The Army and the Air Force with National Garden reserves is really good at recapturing that we don't with the Naval Reserve. And you know, these unmanned vessels, they'll need humans here and there to help out. And I'm sure they have a manned option that you can get underway with a handful of people and then you know, hit the hit the green button switch and the locket and uh, get the get the skiff out the back and leave it on its own. That'd be a great responsibility for USNR units to be attached to these commands that are responsible for them, because it's not going to be something that you're going to want to have, you know, rotating on deployment on a regular basis just now and then, because you need them as war reserves and they're not going to be as robust and demanding. Because I think it would be a real shame. I do want to have these go into the fleet, play with them, tell us what's good, bad or ugly, and adjust it, you know, learn some of the things. And we've made great progress in this, you know, the engineering and electrical autonomous robustness, computer computer coding, and the full spectrum autonomy that can take place. How you're going to replenish these things underway, which they've made good progress on. Communications reach back, redundancy and bandwidth issues in a wartime environment, and of course m CON security and local control like I just talked about. But a lot of those answers are in the skiff and it's none of my business. But I am confident, and I've had people nod their head at me in certain ways such that I think we've we've gotten this at a point that we would do everybody a lot of good if we built them and don't make the mistake we made with the X forty seven Bravo back in twenty thirteen, where we proved that we could land one on a carrier and launch it off, and then we let the tack Air people rip them apart, get them in the fleet, figure out what needs to be done. Seventy five percent solution. Make it an eighty five percent solution after having some sailors mess around with it, but do it now. And I think that's what Daily is looking at, is that type of mindset. So you're right having an N ninety six with that attitude towards this, you know, right man, right time, right motivation. And I think it's a pretty good political environment in the executive and legislative branch to hopefully in the twenty six defense budget to get some money in the pipeline that we can we can do some serious things with these to figure out what we might want to have in place in twenty third.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is the same Admiral Daily, And that's part of the quote I didn't give. But yeah, he's, uh, you know, he's on the right page with this. And I mean I remember years ago, during Trump's first term term or first election, Claude Bearbine I wrote a piece for Natural Interest on Trump's gunboats and we were talking about going cheap, stop doing this especially you know, I was grousing about the missions were we were using AEGIS cruisers for fighting pirates off Somalia. You know, we had other things to do. With those ships, we didn't have to wear them out. Uh, moving around the Indian Ocean. I mean this made no sense to me. We could have put could have put gunboats out there, and should have used our PCs and other things down there. It's anyway, you know, there is no reason not to do this. It's not that expensive, as you said, you could pay for I don't know, one hundred of these things, probably with the with the money they saved from from not funding.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I hate to think of the things that doges can come up with, but let's say, uh, ballet lessons for chickens in Botswana.
Speaker 1: Yes, and they haven't even gotten the the weaponized autism inside our our our databases to combine those things, and I would I haven't. I've been looking for it. Maybe it exists, I just haven't found it. If anybody has has it, send it to me. But I've seen lots of excuses.
Speaker 3: I don't like excuses.
Speaker 1: But the Marine Corps has passed its audit more than once. None of the other services have. I just be really interested. Here's how the Marine Corps is able to pass their audit, and here's why the other services can't. There's yes, the Marine corps smaller. Yes, it it piggybacks and uses some of the naval assets. Yes, yes, I got your excuses. Not interested in them, U. That would be very very interesting to see because we really can't look for that two hundred and ten million dollars to buy two ships that we could probably find reallocate it from other areas. But you can't do that unless you have the ability to go into your accounting side of the house and identify line items and where they're going, and you know, recon stack your priorities. If you can't rack, if you can't find, I don't know, I'll use a figure off tell me. If you can't find twenty percent, ten percent, fifteen percent of your overall expenditures to rack and stack, then you have the probability of taking some things that you don't have to take because of that ten to fifteen percent. If that's the number, maybe two thirds of that is stuff you don't want to touch either. But there's probably there's probably a reason why you can't find where that line number is that took that money, because it's going someplace that probably isn't as high priorities, Maybe that they need to go on the unfunded priorities list as having newer ships I think is on the on the top of the hopefully funded priorities list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if I were, if I were, the shippings are I would I would. This is just a way to we can't man we don't have enough people to man all these merchant ships stuff. We make it really hard for for train surface warfare officers in the Navy to go into the merchant marine. Would I would ease ease, ease the process. I don't know how you do it, but you ease the process of getting those guys on the merchant ships. And you know, the difference is on a lot of the from what I've observed, is that on a merchant ship you may have one guy on watching the bridge at a time, maybe one or two people, and the rest of it is, you know, handled you've got the functional equivalent of modern iron mic and and and stuff like that, and you know they don't man the same level. But there's no reason a guy who spent ten years or twenty years as an O D or a CEO of a of a Navy ship can't get on the bridge of a large military seat of command ship and drive it just as well as any anybody who went to a maritime academy. He's already been to see understands. Red Ryriy attorney understands, you know, looking at the radar and looking you know, doing CPAs and all that stuff, and all of that's done electronically now anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there there are a lot of people that leave active duty for a whole variety of reasons, uh, that we just simply don't. We don't recapture afterwards that they do like going to see they like being up on a bridge, but they don't they don't like some of the aspects of being on an active duty that that we could recapture.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, we don't.
Speaker 1: Just like the you know, the airlines are pretty darn good at recapturing our pilots who you know, they they they get out as BABYO fours or senior lieutenants whenever they run out of their time because they look at what the Navy, you know, they look at their jo fit reps, and they look at their competitors, they look at what the Navy would make them do to quote get healthy, which many times, by the time you're senior lieutenant or junior O four you maybe have one option to quote get healthy unquote and they go, you know what like flying planes, But I don't think I want to take these hard feel orders to diable. I'm gonna I'm gonna get out and go fly for American and I'll they go.
Speaker 3: I've always there's no reserve in the no reserve.
Speaker 1: Squadrons forum, uh to to keep that skill, and so we lose it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always thought that one of the reasons people at that age got out. They could see what was physically happening to the guys who'd been in for a while and said, I'd like to keep my hearing mcbray fly for American Airlines and continue to be able to listen hear my children for the next thirty or forty years.
Speaker 3: I feel personally attacked.
Speaker 2: I happen to know a rotorhead. You know, they get they get some serious hearing loss.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 1: And yeah, but that's there is for the first time in a while, there is a place for optimism where there are people that want to help build the strength of us as a maritime nation. All we need to do is maybe open our arms more, embrace more friends, and as I've said to a couple of times a couple of people this week. Friends go and go, but enemies accumulate.
Speaker 3: Is uh. Find people who have an.
Speaker 1: Interest may not be yours, but maybe they have an interest that helps us push in the direction we want to go and bring them in, make them friends, find out what their concerns are. Uh, you know which rib needs to be tickled and to get the right product, and let's do it. There's some great ideas out there. Hopefully. Yeah, Admiral Daily, he's in the right spot. He's in the right time. When we get a new Cno, they'll probably align with whatever the second NAB does see what the unders priorities are. But it's been pretty clear. I think for the whoever the new or, we pretty much know. I think Phalans did a really good job at his confirmation. He should be the next Secon NAB and I'll see any reason why hunk Cow should not be the under But they'll they'll rack and stack their priorities, and if they align with what we've already heard from the sect Deaf and from the President and you know, even the Vice President, then there there's an opportunity here to make some progress. After a lot of years of people appreciating the problem but not making some changes in getting things moved in the right direction. So I'm a little bit of a of a closet optimist for us right now. Over the course of the next twenty months, and I think by the end of summer we're going to see we'll be able to grade whether it's going in the direction that we would like or if it goes off track. But I think it would take an unexpected event. Are a very misjudging of the situation to think that it's going to be heading in a direction that we won't like. I think it's the timing and the fruit I think is right for some some nice progress in this area that we've all been looking for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it conforms with what admill Apio has been saying out in the Pacific, which is, uh, we're we're not quite out gunned yet, but we're getting there. So I think the faster we get assets out there that can work, you know, simple, as simple as one of the advantages, as simple as it usually doesn't break the way complex does.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you know, if we can get simple, workable assets out there, then I think that will totally help Admiral papoel and whoever is if he's going to be changed, you know, there's the whoever's going to be out there is going to be looking at the same things. You know, how do we do this? How do we make this work? How can we get this faster? And again, you know, while we're wait for all the other wheels to spin up and get rid of the dead wood and the ridiculous restrictions on building ships and all that, and and then then we can you know, we at least do something with these smaller unmanned vessels that have great deal of promise it.
Speaker 1: I think, what will add hef to this? And I think that uh, former mid Rats guest friend of the Show, Albert Colby Bridge to his friends and distant acquaintances that if he comes in as under Secretary of Defense for policy, he's been beating the Pacific first drum for years, and he brings he has honed that argument in periods of time where he was, if not the only guy in the big public space making that argument, he was at least the one who's taken the most slings and arrows. That that emphasis coming from Bridge for DoD policy, it goes and it can only go in one direction, that's maritime and aerospace power, because if you have to make the fight in the Pacific from from Taiwan to Japan out to the small island nations in the Southwest Pacific and the Great Circle route to Australia New Zealand, that's where it's going, it's going to be. But we've only the new administration has only been a powerful what six weeks now, six weeks in change. They don't have all the players in so uh, it's uh, we've gotta gotta let the players get in place, let the aspect gel a little bit, and I think by again, by this summer, we'll really start to see some interesting things coming into open source and probably very interesting things happening, uh, you know behind closed doors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as long as as long as they get you know, I think where we recapture money and if I don't know how they you know, I always remember you couldn't sometimes you couldn't spend things for certain items because they're and and some line item that we can't do line on them budgeting in the federal government for some reason. So uh, you know, as long as they get they can move the money around somehow to make it work. And that's great, and they're gonna have to work with Congress do that and the people, you know, Congress has to see how this is gonna work if you if you reap as I've said earlier, when you rebuild ship building and start working these assets. I mean we've got little shipyards and and all along our coasts, all along our in the waterways, it can be making these these unmanned vessels. And that means money in Ohio means money up in the Great Lakes, means money in Washington State. You know, it means money in Oregon. Other places where these ships in Louisiana and Texas and Virginia, lord knows, or even shipyards or used to be shipyards in North Carolina. But you know there are places where these ships can be built. I think I saw one place up in Rhode Island, Warren, Rhode Island. Anyway, you know that they can be built, and it spreads the money around the country, and that, as you said, it pays well. You get you start training people to be good welders because all these all these outfits need good welders. They may already have someone who aren't working in for the major shipyards. But you know it is, it is, and as long as you can keep the money flowing, so you're not doing this stop start, stop start stuff that kills that kills every business.
Speaker 1: And again it should be a bipartisan thing. And I know that there were some things in the previous Congress that Senator Schumer, if not killed, made almost impossible to get passed because he's very insistent that jobs had to be union. These are mostly union jobs, especially in places like you you mentioned before. So it's it's an opportunity to take that optimism and do something constructive with it. What we just have to keep an eye on is, unfortunately the rest of the world, the legacy, the legacy, national security concerns continue drawing attention away. You know, the news has just been dominated by by Ukraine the last month really, and now we see Syria devolving into what all ethnic and religious based civil wars devolved into, which is an ugly, ugly blood bath. I don't see any interest in this administration or the American people of America getting involved. But you know, sometimes you don't History delivers, you delivers a different requirement for you than you ask it to deliver to you.
Speaker 3: Until I'm always worrying about that.
Speaker 1: Europeans don't seem to be able to take care of Europe, and the people in the Middle East don't seem to be able to take care of the Middle East. Uh, and our allies in the Western Pacific are actually rather small compared to the major competitor out there, So in the back of my mind that that still gives me a little bit of concern.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it's you know, we we probably should talk about both what's happened with Ukraine, you know that they and and in Syria and with the hoo Thies, because those are those are you know, we're disgusting examples of what happens if you don't keep your eye on the ball. And if you know, the I'm glad to see the Europeans are now. I think we talked about the Europeans are now allegedly pulling up n eight hundred billion dollars or something to start reef rebuilding their military stuffs as a collective. I don't know how that's gonna work. The polls are talking uh sternly about how, you know, and they should because they're the front line. I mean, if if Ukraine fails. I don't think Ukraine is going to fail because I think things are going to go their way, but it's gonna be they're gonna have to give up something. And apparently, you know, uh Zileisky is willing to talk. We'll see how that works out. Uh Syria. You know, anybody who didn't see what was going to happen when they when a bunch of former what was it good that I Islamic state people take over a country? UH wasn't paying attention. I think you know that that they're committing what what what's the word sectarians to sectarian side?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're they're not they're not playing well with their neighbors, and that that whole thing spirals and there's really it's, at least from an American point of view, that's never been our sphere of influence. I think the big secondary impact that you're going to see here is another migration wave of people who were once in the safe part of Syria are going to want to leave. And the entire Western European political system, decades in the making, was always fragile, but it's been knock sideways by the migration that's already taking place, and so there is going to be a knock on effect in Europe, and we've got a lot of elections coming here in the next year. Western Europe might be looked very, very different Central Europe.
Speaker 3: When we look at the.
Speaker 1: Former Warsaw Pac nations in the Baltic republics, they have some of them have taken quite a bit of grief, specifically Hungary and Poland by not taking in a lot of those migrants from the last wave, they don't have those same stability issues. So I think if this next wave from Syria starts to come out, or if Turkey, I think Turkey's holding that whole hosting more than a million, I think it might be up to two million or more Tarian refuse to big chart, they may very well point them northwest as well. That's something in the back of my head from Syria that I'm more worried about than anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I can see a situation where, uh, you pointed out in one of your posts somewhere maybe on x that it looks like israel Is is providing kind of a Dru's homeland safe area. Yeah, and I would not be surprised at all if if Israel says you know, if you can get here, we'll protect you. And then the US I hate to do this because we don't really need to be there all the time, but you know, then then the UN US protecting forces could come in there and help Israelis protect the Drews in Syria in their own chunk of Syria, the Drews homeland.
Speaker 3: I think you call.
Speaker 2: It just kind of kind of like we did with the Kurds in the northeast corner of.
Speaker 1: Irrect Yeah, and they're I mean, the Drus have there's actually a not insignificant I think it's one percent of the overall population. It's not insignificant because they serve a lot in the Israeli military. There are the Drus are religious minority in Israel, and they do really well in Israel, and they are concentrated in that southwest corner, though they they're scattered up and down the coast, and they have a history of being persecuted. Right now, it looks like most of the hate is going towards Assad's religious minority, the Ala White Shias. But from what I've seen, and there's a lot of iffy reporting out there, but there's not much good reporting coming out either.
Speaker 3: But the way these.
Speaker 1: Things go, they're going to go after the Christians, They're going to go after the Shia, They're going to go after the Drus, because that's what they do. They always have, because they're religious fanatics. The you know, it's not soony against everybody, and which is unfortunate because some.
Speaker 3: Real modern.
Speaker 1: Muslim nation is our majority Sunni. But it's complicated that the Drews. They're a responsible community, and if they didn't have the protection of Israel, they might be forced to do something on their own. And there are worse things to do than for Israel, and eventually the international community to go, Okay, y'all are going to do what you're going to do, and the rest of Syria, these people want to be left alone. You can leave them alone. I don't have a problem with that. I don't think. I don't want US military to be there because it will be another one of those things at twenty five thirty years from now. Are we still going to be there? Are we going to carve out a I think we have a course of precedence that if we wanted to carve out a Druze state, say okay, we're going to build up your military. You got to defend your The Druids proved in the Lebanese Civil War that they can hold their own with the gun in their hands, So I don't it's just you just hate to see this kind of medieval barbarism taking place in the twenty first century.
Speaker 2: When one of the tenets of your religion, though, is anybody who doesn't have the same doesn't belong to the same sect as you, is evil. Your life is based on that. That is a really tough nut to overcome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, and it's not. There's no religious component to it. But the Ukraine situation I saw earlier today and again there are you know, you have to make sure where you're getting your information from. But you mentioned going to the bargaining table if you can get the Russians to the table. No guarantee that the Russians will want to come to the table if they think they have the upper hand. Is one of the negotiating pieces they got was the Ukrainians, you know, bid off a chunk of curse and Russian territory. But that pocket seems to be, if not collapsing, deflating. This might be a better way of putting it. So if the Russians can in the North Koreans that are also they have I think the northwest corner of that front. If the North Korean and the Russians can push the Ukrainians out of Russian territory, then that makes the Ukrainian table a little sparse. One interesting take on this whole thing that sounds right to me is what the US might be trying to do is to entice the Russians who don't want to come to the table to come to the table. Is to try to create the conditions where they feel welcome and supported to get to the table. But if the Russians, and there's been some statements that back this up in the last seventy two hours, but if the Russians absolutely positively refuse to come to the table, then and if anybody is negotiated with real estate developers, they'll know that they'll get friendly, and then they won't get very friendly. That it might be a situation where we could find the Trump administration giving Ukraine the weapons and support that would be far beyond what anybody would have thought even the bite of administration had been. Because I don't think that the Trump administration wants to be seen as responsible for the falla Kiev. Time will prove me right or wrong, but that would be a big mark in the l column. The Europeans, they've had their meetings, but I don't see how you get that group of people to respond in a timely manner to what really is a now crisis. Now defined is the next six months to try to get the Russians to the table, because we're gonna have our muddy season, and then when summertime comes and the ground hardens up again. I think in most years it's by mid May if the Russians feel like they've got the wind their back, they may decide, okay, we'll come to the table. But it's when you beg for me to come to the table because I'm want to take more land. We'll just have to see. But the Russians, as we've talked about here for the very long time, the decade and a half we've been doing mid rats. The Russians don't think like Western Europeans or North Americans. They have their own history and their own own habits, and it usually leads more towards a robustness and a toughness.
Speaker 3: That is really hard to appreciate. From our seat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, as you're right, time will tell. By the way, did you happen to see the news on the alleged North Korean nuclear boomer?
Speaker 1: I saw that briefly. In the first thing I thought of is I hope they have some idin pills with them. But yeah, that's interesting. I'm sure it's probably on parcause I think they're a ballistic missile testing vessel as an old golf class diesel, it's probably, let me see, I can pull this out of my brain as a JO type one Soviet nuclear vessels where they were the hens Hotel Echo in November, So they're probably as functional as a echo class SSGN and they're what was it Yankee one was at their first ballistic missile submarines as we would define it. So yeah, maybe North Korea has joined nineteen sixty five. I don't know, but I'm not surprised. I'm not surprised at all that North Korea would take that step. It's not just a hermit kingdom. It's a military that has a nation to go with it, so they can expend what little money they have on that capability.
Speaker 2: Well, it sure does complicate the picture in the and that part of the world. If they have this thing, and I guess it's not been launch shit, so and it's supposed to carry about ten missiles. Don't remember what the rate of their ballistic missiles is, but I don't think it's that great. But you know that can see they're thinking, well, gosh, we could just we could sail this up to Alaska and do a lot of damage, and what fun would that be?
Speaker 1: But I can you know, if you put on that very large North Korean hat, I can see the brief for this is they have nuclear weapons, but their land based ballistic missiles aren't what one would call survivable. So if you have a nuclear deterrent that can't survive a first strike, you're almost encouraging attack more than anything else. They have to find some way in their relatively small country to get something that at least seems more survivable to a first strike. I don't think in twenty first century a submarine as loud as a as a Yankee one or an echo would do that for them. But I could definitely see the brief for them trying. But you know, a few things in life I think are more frightening than a North Korean submarine going sink or that being said, they did blow a South Korean corvette out of the water, so they know how to shoot a torpedo.
Speaker 2: They've been really good at small submersionable operation. Of course, we don't know how many they lost on the way to sink one true South Korean destroyer, but you know, but it's a step up if you decide you're going to make it. You know, six thousand ton or seven thousand ton submarine that's powered by a reactor probably helped develop pilot Russians or the Chinese.
Speaker 1: But I remember the mid nineteen nineties that North Korea did their first nuclear reactor for quote civilian purposes hopefully how'd that work out? Well, it's a breeder reactor. Yeah, that's nice. So that they have an ability to build nuclear power plants, and evidently they've reached the ability to to miniaturize it enough for the submarine program. And I just I just have to think their sub safe program and their nuclear power program is it has to be relative to the old Soviet program, what the old Soviet program was to the American program when it comes to safety and reliability. Just the idea of a nuclear power North Korean submarine going getting underway in some of the world's most delicate fishing grounds, especially the Japanese, that they can't be happy with it, But uh, North Korea, child of the Korean War, it is what it is.
Speaker 3: They do what they want to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're they're pretty impressive in their pent too, to be a world power from a from a tiny little foothold in the northern part of the peninsula.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The the one thing they're not very sophisticated with though, it appears from what we've the reports we've gotten from from Ukraine, because they haven't North Koreans. I mean they I could after Rhodesia became Zimbabwe, they went over there and chained trained a brigade that went offen committed war crimes, but they haven't really had much experienced fight a war since the Korean War that in this final years mostly fought by the Chinese. They tend to be very as you would expect from that type of culture, not very flexible, very static, very archaic, and I think that they will probably continue with that habit at sea should war come. But in nuclear weapons, especially in that small peninsula, they don't have to be that accurate or that sophisticated. If for some reason that the Hermit Kingdom decides they wanted to go master armed arm and turn the keys it, it could be kind of scary. And war has a tendency to focus the mind, so to speak, and everybody likes to.
Speaker 3: To stomp on the Russians. But I think one of the.
Speaker 1: Undertold stories, and before the war even started we talked about it on mid Rates more than once, is how And because of the nature of it, it's kind of like anti submarine warfare. You really don't want to talk about it too much, and the stuff you do want to talk about you can't get too because it's highly classified ASW and electronic warfare are too those areas and a couple things have come out recently and it's hard to avoid that the Darwinian action that we're seeing in electronic warfare in the Russia Ukrainian war. I really hope our electronic warfare community here is absorbing every bit of lessons learned. You can that there was a recent discussion about starlink that and how dependent the Ukrainians are on it because the Russians have pretty much jammed most of the rest of the electromagnetic spectrum in the Ukrainians also have gotten very good at it, which is why we've started to see the growth of these fiber optic run first person video drones. And there was a really neat video of a Ukrainian soldier crossing a field picking these things up like so many pieces of fishing line that were just crisscrossed all over the field. What a big mess that is. But to be to have to go to why are guided? That just tells you how much the electromatic magnetic spectrum is becoming compromised, which for military like hours that is very dependent on C two reach back data and even more than voice, that could be very humbling if those lessons and techniques are put opposite our lines at some point that the Ukrainians and the Russians are really refining in a Darwinian manner to the east.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think we can train the drones to recognize lashing light and semipur signals to take their orders. No, well, we've I think we've run run another hour by our were all by ourselves, So we should probably say good night, Gracie.
Speaker 1: Good night Gracie, and hey, thanks everybody who's joined us over on x all thirteen hundred of you, and also everybody that's joined us here as well and hopped in the chat room. Really appreciate you all joining us and keep an eye on us. We're going to keep coming this spring until next time. I hope everybody has a great Navy Day.
Speaker 3: Cheers,