Speaker 1: The show has begun since your phases the fun you ARENTI full trip trip trip trips into the DCM with condom. It's the d CON.
Speaker 2: Same ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, trekkies and trekkers. Welcome back to another episode of the DCON Chamber. I am Connor Trenaire alongside my co host and co defendant Dominic keating and listen. I am so thrilled about our guest today. What I want to say here is that look, acting, directing, editing, and then camera. Those are equal measure of how to produce a TV show and a film. And our guest today for our show is our cinematographer, our director of photography, often our camera operator. And he has done and I've got my math right. This boggles my mind. Three hundred and seventy six episodes of Star Trek beginning with the next generation going through enterprise.
Speaker 3: Marvin Rush, Marvin V.
Speaker 1: Rut Rush, so much.
Speaker 4: For being here. Thank you mate, It's good to see you. Jack.
Speaker 2: My first question for you, Marvin is can you tell me what's the difference between a cinematographer and a director of photography.
Speaker 1: You know, the cinematographer is probably the older title and director of photography. You know, like there's the cameraman used to be the word, and now it's camera operator. And it's because in a long time ago, there were no women doing that job. So you can say cameraman without any problem. And you know today there are plenty of women that do that job, including cinematographer. A director photography is the title in the union cinematographers, I think more. I like that too. I like them both, but I think I like cinematographer gust You know, it's you know, you're you're basically the top person on the call sheet, below the producers. You're you're at the top of the crew in terms of hierarchy. Not that you're the boss of all those people, that's not what I mean, but it is an ultimate kind of position for for a crew.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm interested to know. Your dad was aautical engineer. He was you know, instrumental in the Apollo mission and particularly the engine that got them off the moon.
Speaker 1: And well, you've done your homework, Oh yeah, yeah, we do our snooping.
Speaker 4: Well, well, obviously you grew up with a technical brain, which you need, but the artistry comes from where.
Speaker 1: My dad was an aeronautical engineer for rocket dying, and as you said, he was involved in getting the men off the moon designing. Just not to go to technical, but rocket motors of that type are called hypergolic, and they literally the fuel and oxidizer when they touch each other, they explode. That means you don't have to have an igniter. And my father's design was to design it in such a way that the fuel has to enter first before the oxidizer, and if they don't enter in a very tiny microsecond difference, then that rocket motor will literally blow itself apart. So my father designed a system where with a slide roll where he got the injector nozzles for the oxygen to have a little bit more of a bend and a little bit more distance to travel, so that one valve opening both of the fuel and oxidizer together would create that delay needed for the engine to work properly. It saved weight, it saved space, and it was extremely reliable and it worked every time.
Speaker 3: So was this environment for you?
Speaker 2: Was there any tie into how and what you wanted to do.
Speaker 1: With your life. I tried to go an aeronautical engineering school and I just hated it. I mean, it just wasn't what I wanted to do. And here's a funny story.
Speaker 4: You loved this.
Speaker 1: Remember Barbara E on Idreamaginie? Yeah, Okay, Well, when I was like twelve thirteen years old, I thought she was the most beautiful woman that had ever lived in the history of women. You're not alone, Marvin. I adored her from afar and I thought to myself, if my life works out, I'll get to work with people that are as beautiful as she is.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, sorry to disappoint.
Speaker 1: That was the starting a woman. That's a fourteen year old boy talking. Okay. But but inside of that, I went to I hitchhiked one time to the Rose Parade, like at two o'clock in the morning. I got up early, I got out, went a hitchhike literally thumb my ride from I was growing up in Canoga Park in the San Fernando Valley. My hitchhiked to Pasadena and I walked along the floats and I met some of the camera people that were working on that show for kt LACS. How old were you? I was probably sixteen years old, and one of the guys that was working for CBS invited me to play with his camera for a few minutes to go up on the platform, and I thought, okay, so I climbed up there and he let me handle this broadcast TV camera, big RCA camera, huge, yeah. And I remember thinking, oh, this is the best job in the entire world, you know, I could never imagine a better job than that. And I met some other people on the street. That was a street reporter that was working for KTLA. Anyway, long story short, about six or seven years later, guess who was on the Rose Parade for KTLA Channel five working with the same news reporter on the street met Barbara Well, not with Barbara Aida, no, but with a street reporter. In other words, I had imagined a job that I thought was an impossible goal, and I got it. And it wasn't It was not a kind of that job. It was exactly the job that I had imagined would be the perfect job. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: At some point in that young age that you had sort of manifested.
Speaker 1: This, I just knew that camera work was the closest way to get to work with a person who's pretty is Barbara Eden. And not only that, but that when I watched movies like I saw the movie patent, and I thought to myself, if my life works out, I'll do something as important as that. I mean, you know, I mean, it just literally was. And it wasn't that I loved like just any old movie. I loved the films and I love the TV shows that got me.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I tell people that I have never actually had a job in my whole life, and you know, I just never.
Speaker 4: I mean we kind of feel the same. I mean there were long hours, dude, but we loved it, didn't we. Yeah, you know, yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean I would have done it for free.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm in my first acting job, and if they only knew if.
Speaker 1: I would have done it for them, you know. I mean, I mean, I wouldn't have been able to survive doing it. But the truth is that I wasn't doing it to make money and I didn't feel like I was working. Here's an analogy I'll give you that I think it's really cool. Imagine you're five years old and your mom takes you to the park for the first time. The playground, right, and you're holding your mom's hand, and you get to the playground. You look in the distance and you see the merry go round and kids on it, and the swing and kids swinging, and the sandbox and kids working with sand and the monkey bars, and you look at your mom and you go, can I go? And your mom says, go go play, And you run as fast as you can run to the sandbox and you dive right in and you see all these other kids playing and within a few seconds you got it right. And nobody gave you an owner's manual about how to play. You're born with that skill. And then the next thing to think about about the kid in the sandbox. This is really important. If you get down like you're an adult, you get down really low at their level, and you get on their eye level, and you look at the face of the child playing in the sandbox with the tonkatroy. That is the most intense, focused energy you will ever see. It's far from play. It's worked with a different name. As adults, we forget what play is. Play is intense. It is so intense, and it is so focused, and it's so it's driven by creating worlds. That child is inside that dump truck moving the dirt around, and when he's on the monkey bars, he's in the jungle with the tarzan you know. I mean, it's it's real for that child to be in the state of complete flow, you know, for in immersion, in flow. So my point is this, find something you like to do that puts you in the same place as when you were in that sandbox at five, and you will never work a day in your life.
Speaker 4: Did you learn everything on the jobble? Did you go off to film school?
Speaker 1: I was going to go to university and I interviewed some camera guys and I said, Okay, what's better for your or a year of experience? And they all said a year of experience. And I said, well, what about a month? And they said, yeah, a month of experience is better than a four year degree. And then I said what about a week and they said, yeah, a week of experience is better. I said what about a day and they said it's a toss up. That's a toss up. And then I thought to myself, if I try for four years and I get three or four days of experience, I'm four years ahead.
Speaker 3: How did you then navigate that to your next step?
Speaker 1: Well, I asked for a job at a TV station that was very, very small. It was a small religious TV station in Glendale. I just begged them to let me work for free, and they said, yeah, we'll lets you work for free.
Speaker 4: Did you wear a cross when you went to see?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, my religious beliefs have gone over have changed a little bit over the years, but I was nominally a Christian at that time, I would say, and I became more so during the time I was there. And maybe that was a choice of convenience because I really wanted a job. It was I don't think it was necessarily dishonest on my part. It was more like, you know, this was a chance to do the thing I wanted to do. And I was there for a couple of years and I learned a lot. And then I went to sports and I learned how I shot sports at the Forum, I did, you know, hockey and basketball, and then I did Angels baseball, Dodgers baseball at Dodger Stadium, all that stuff. And then I transitioned to working with Dinah Shore on her talk show. That led to w KRP in Cincinnati, which I did that show for four years. I left KTLA and they went we went over to CBS Radford and all the way, you know, I kept getting hired and the idea of going to stop to go to university didn't make a lot of sense because I kept getting jobs, So that's where that led.
Speaker 4: One of your early gigs was was a sitcom, Easy Street.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, I was. That's the job I got moved up on. As I said, five cameras, four cameras, four camera Yeah, yeah, I mean it was one of those things where I worked for Hugh Wilson on w k P in Cincinnati, and I had shot a couple of single camera pieces for that show that was another sitcom, but I was a camera oprider. You actually called me into his office and says, would you like to shoot the pilot for Lonnie Anderson called Easy Street? And I said, well, you mean to operate and he says no, the cinematographer, I go, beat beat Bete. Yeah, I'll do that. Yeah. I'd worked my way up to that point, but I hadn't actually done it. So that was one of those failure points where you know Connor had said earlier, rise to the occasion kind of thing. I felt I had the skill to do it, but I didn't have the experience of doing it, so I had to prove that then I got After that, I got Tracy Ollman. Then I did a show called Frank's Place, which was one camera, and then I got I did a couple other sitcoms, and then I got invited to work on Star Trek next.
Speaker 4: Generation piece, The Hollowheads, Well Meet the Hollowhead, which was a party sci fi piece about sitcoms, which I thought was an interesting mess up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that came out of it was a makeup artist that had written the script. And I don't remember how I got hired for that exactly. It's been a long time, but you know it was. It was part of my learning curve, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: As a part of your learning curve, so going into sitcoms for camera and then you know, sort of dabbling into I think you're saying, like single camera stuff, what are you learning in that that.
Speaker 1: Get me to like help crouts? What I had done during the time that I was working on all of those shows earlier, I had formed a video facilities company called Video to Go. I created that company to provide services for like single cameras, and I worked on concerts. I worked on commercials, I did interview shows, all kinds stuff. But the real reason I formed that company was because I wanted to learn how to light, and I figured if I could get people to pay me to practic this lighting, that was better than if I was just lighting stuff and not having a paycheck for it. So I bought lighting equipment more than I could possibly use for the company size that I was working for. I literally poured every dollar I made into buying equipment, pay the mortgage, and buy equipment, you know, And that was it. And so the whole thing was I had generated. I literally created a school for myself where I was looking at my work and judging it and trying to figure out, well, okay, I can do better next time. And then, you know, there was a whole process of basically self taught if you will, I mean, that's kind of what it was. And I was also working on shows, watching other cinematographers doing their work, mostly on multiicam shows. But when I graduated to cinematographer, suddenly I was on a multiicam show and I was lighting, you know, I was lighting the set and figuring out how to light it for four cameras. This was a real jigsaw puzzle. If you want to do a sitcom and have it look good, you have to be able to light for four angles at the same time. Right, it's really challenging.
Speaker 4: You know, I did live sitcom. It's it is challenging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that was part of my school. When I went over to Star Trek, they asked me one question. They said, well, first of all, they said, we're not getting enough work done in a day. We're not getting enough setups. We're only getting twelve to thirteen setups per day. And they said, we need to do more setups, and we're going to make a change, and we'd like to know whether you think you can do more. And I had just come off of Frank's Place, which was a one camera, half hour kind of dramaedy. It was a comedy drama kind of show. Interesting show, a very good show, and only went one season. It was still it was great. But the thing was they were all fans of my work on that show. They'd all seen it. I think I won a Peabody Award for writing and it was It was a kind of kind of a cause celeb show. Not big ratings but good ratings but not great, but it was it was talked about. And also I got a cover of American Cinematographer off of it. You know, which was raised my profile, you know, just the lucky great that's all. So what happened was I went in and I said, well, I'm doing a show. I've just finished a show and we were doing twenty five to maybe even up to thirty setups a day, and they said, you're hired, you know, basically, you know, I mean, in other words, you have to there's art and there's commerce, and they're both related to each other. You know, if you are really, really good, but you take all day to get anything done, you know, they're not going to hire you because they can't afford you.
Speaker 2: Marvin behind behind the camera and like that regard, you're responsible not only for the camera operation and the basic camera design of what you're looking at, but you're talking about lights, you're talking about everything else that happens behind the camera. The responsibility must be kind of massive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, if you don't succeed, you get fired. Well yeah, it's just that simple, you know. I and I actually I had a couple of situations early on on Next Generation. I got called up to the office and it was a very specific thing I had done. I lit a set and I had brought the actors in and we started to shoot it and I turned to the director and I said, I don't know. I just don't. I don't like what I did. I think it's horrible. Can I do you mind if I do it again? And the director was not particularly pleased, as you can imagine, but he said okay. So then I ReLit it and the can't actors came back in and I said, once again, I'm sorry, guys, I just think it's horrible. I can't. I can't film this. It's terrible. You had spendings at that time. I take actors. We're talking to actors now, okay. I got called up to the office at the end of the day. It was made very clear to me that that will never happen again. We love you, Marvin, but you may not do that. And I took that lesson to heart. And it wasn't like I was mad, but I was holding myself to a standard that I don't think was achievable for a television schedule. And that was a hard lesson because I was shooting for perfection. Because I found I felt everything counts, and everything does count, but so does getting the work done. It's called show business, not show art. And the reason why is because it is also a business, and you know, you need to fit your art in the box with what the time is set for it, the amount of piece people involved, the work that has to be done. It has to fit in the box, or you're not welcome in that world.
Speaker 4: That rais an act to you. You learn to If they say the tape was great, move on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's just one of those things television, But there's a there's a really nice thing about it too. What it causes you to do is to figure out how much perfection I can afford or how can I find a way to make it look great but not take all day to do it. So then you must come up with some theories of lighting and approaches to the set so that you can do the work that you're asked to do. And when they look at the dailies and go mar this great, how'd you do that? I figured out how much I could do, and I did what I could do in the time I had, as well as I could imagine, not saying that there wasn't another way that would have been maybe a little more interesting, you know, that would be certainly true, But it has to fit in the box or you won't get you'll get fired. Is that simple?
Speaker 3: What Marvin do you what are your influences?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm a source lighting person. And when I say that source lighting is very interesting, it's a it's a theory of light. And Spennyquist I don't know if you know who that was, but Spennquist to shot a lot of famous movies from the sixties and all. He's from from Sweden, I believe, see. Anyway, you know, I actually shot an interview with him, and after I was done, he actually complimented me on my lighting, which was amazing. You know. I had read articles of him talking about it and he said that. And also Bill Mosh Zigmund had said something in an article that I read. Bill Mosh was a famous cinematographer. He's not famous on yeah, close encounters, and he did. He did a lot of great films anyway, Heaven's Gate, I think he did anyway. But the bottom line is what he had said was that when he was a boy, he looked out the window when he was in a train car and watched the natural world going by. He started recording in his mind what things look like, in other words, what the natural in other words, making essentially a mental map of the light of the world and how it looks in various conditions. And so source light is where you take. You know, if there's a practical that's on, you know, you play from that practical. Now if you don't like where the practical is, you move the practical, so you can use that as the source to light from. If it's natural light, you work with the sun and with you know, reflected light from the sun. In other words, if light's coming through a window, you play into that window and you you build the lighting of the room from the source that you've decided is the source or sources that source light. And I've always been very fond of that style of.
Speaker 4: Life, very clever with it one off show, I mean it was it was very apparent enterprise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you can bend the source a lot. You know. It's not like a god. It's more like, you know, if you have a window on the left side and you key from the right, well, it's not going to look right because why isn't the sunlight coming through the window and the light on the actors coming from the same side. You know, So in other words, from a practical standpoint, you're looking at the sources, the practicals or the or the windows in the room or the doorways or whatever, and kind of shaping the light off of the natural sources.
Speaker 2: How interesting that you spent sixteen years creating the light that occurred in the world that we all lived in. There was no sun, there was no anything.
Speaker 1: We you were.
Speaker 3: Creating that emotional template for any scene.
Speaker 1: Well, in the case of Enterprise, the real problem was that we were in a submarine of of a sort. We were, and they actually, the designers set had actually gone down to the naval yard in San Diego and toured the nuclear submarines to be able to get a feel for how cramped the spaces are. And the idea was that, you know, this was the biggest ship they could build with the technology of the time, which it was a precursor, so it had to be smaller.
Speaker 4: Eve and Jim Conway watched the Hunt for Red October. I believe we did absolutely. I used a little bit of that. The thing is I would have gone deeper into darkness, but Rick Berman was not a big fan of ultra dark sequences, so I always tried to make sure I made the producers of the show happy. The thing is, though, one nice thing about having a little bit brighter level is when.
Speaker 1: Things go to go bad, you know, there's problems or explosions or systems are going down, you have somewhere to go in terms of darkness and in terms of contrast. Right, So if you start off with the thing, you know, dark and shadowy, and and then the power goes out, well what do you change? You know, so you need to be able to tell that story because that story comes up from time to time. Pretty often things go wrong, you know, in science fiction, the ship has problems on a regular basis, So you need to be room for that, you know.
Speaker 4: I remember there was a trolley on our set, but that was just stuffed full of sort of jury rigged lights. Do you remember that.
Speaker 1: Well, we built We built a lot of our own lights. And the reason is because when you have a very low ceiling, like the ceiling is down here, you know, if you put a light here, like I'll tip this camp. I'm going to tip this up so I can show you. So let's say the ceiling is here, right, and there's a lamp right above that, just a few inches above it, and I turn it on and I light Dominic's face, the top of his head is going to blow out, and his chest is going to be dark because the light is so close to you and the camera's ability to handle that much contrast is quite limited. Especially in those years. The low ceiling forced us to light more from the side further away, so we'd have a little bit more reasonable throw and it wouldn't be that problem. In fact, you know the Captain's ready room, that was one of those things where the ceiling was even lower in that set. I mean it was really low, so the hiding lamps that weren't in the shot but would still light Archer and make him look good, you know, make him look handsome. Believe me, that was you know, Billy Pete's my gaffer and I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure that one out. We did, we did, but you know, it was tricky, you know, and.
Speaker 4: He could he could have looked quite honestly, demonesque in some of that lighting, couldn't it.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, And it wouldn't have looked It wouldn't have been this handsome guy that that Scott is. It would have been somebody that would be off putting.
Speaker 2: I think about Marvin, you know our show and truly, yeah, shadows and our restrictions and requirements for our ship. What was it like doing, say, Next Gen and Voyager both to me kind of like bright sets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was a bit darker. Next Generation. I came in on season three. The set of that show was somewhat established by those first two seasons on Next Gen, and if you remember, the ceiling of that set was giant panels of muslin lit from above, which is overhead lighting, right, basically a box of overhead lighting. Because of that, you know, well, that's an office building, Okay, I mean that's what an office building has. So if you lean into the reality of that again source lighting, that would mean that when conditions are normal in there, it's a bright place, not overly bright, but it's it's filled in. There's no shadows to speak of. And what we ended up doing was we put a key in to give Patrick Stewart a little bit more key like definition, and also Jonathan Frakes and whoever, Marina certain arena Marina, so that they all had a little they lifted them out and lifted their faces up a little bit. But the overall look of that show was more like an office building than a spaceship. Now you look at some of the modern shows that are done, the designers don't do that. They don't They give you all kinds of beams and darkness and structures above that that restrict that overhead feeling simply because they don't want it to look like an office building. I took it as a to me, it was a challenge, but I also thought, no, that's okay, because every twenty minutes something horrible happens, and it's a chance to get it. Make it dark, you know, because although you did.
Speaker 4: Look a bit caustic, you know, and it's in it's a natural environment, didn't it.
Speaker 1: And then and then the other thing is the Klingons, Well that's a dark set. Well then that's a differentiation, Like we don't want to make the Bridge or the Enterprise look like a Klingon set, right, I mean, you know, because they're not the same. Their culture is different. So I think, you know, I I came to that show having a certain set look already established, and I probably could have changed it a lot more, but I didn't feel that was the right choice. I wanted the audience, the audience already liked the show. I didn't want to suddenly throw a monkey wrench and you know, have it not look like the show they've been watching. I guess the point I'm making is that they wanted the show to look They wanted me to take what I was doing on Frank's Place, the artistry on that show, and they wanted that artistry, and they wanted me to have the production speed to be able to complete episodes on schedule. Both were Both were true. It wasn't like they just said, oh, this guy's fast, let's just get him. They liked the show that I was doing.
Speaker 4: What I've noticed with a lot of your work, Marvin is you're really good at having an actor move into a place to then bring the camera to the other actor's face. And it looked organic. Tell me a bit about that that well.
Speaker 1: I saw that. You you know, I learned from a lot of directors. One of the things that happens when you do that, and this is a trick, and it's not necessarily a good trick. It's a trick if you've got a five page dialogue scene that's mostly exposition and you only have a couple hours to get that shot right. If you have the actors walk to the next person who's going to talk. Right, you don't have as much coverage to shit.
Speaker 4: Cal I used to call that, get a bag of nuts. Well, I do you want me to go there? Get a bagne?
Speaker 1: Okay, So now that's the cheesy way of doing it right now, the better way to do it is you start on somebody in close up. There's an entrance that's upstage. That person has some important information. They pan the camera and bring you to the person they're going to talk to. They talk to that person and get the information. Then somebody looks to the person where you originally work. The camera whippans over to that person, who says to Paul then says, well that'll ever work or whatever she says, you know other argues. She said, Well, now the point I'm making is now you've done something that's got drive. It's internally motivated by actor movement. That is that makes sense, It doesn't require coverage, and it has all kinds of energy. Okay, is that a conversation with your director?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that like the dance that you're going to turn on that And because I remember.
Speaker 3: Working, you know, we would have multiple.
Speaker 2: Directors and sometimes it seemed as though LeVar is a great example.
Speaker 3: I think you two worked very very well together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Roxan Dawson also fantastic.
Speaker 2: Rock and Dawson, you know, and and so you get this sort of symbiotic kind of relationship about how you're going to dance this scene. And what happens when you don't have that relationship.
Speaker 1: Well, here's what I did in Sink, And if you think back, you'll remember this is something I would do. I would get in where I thought the shot started. I would do this, and I would frame the shot with my fingers and I would walk around as if I was the dollie framing the shot while the actors ran the scene. And my reason for that was I was honestly exploring how I would cover the scene if I was going to be directing it essentially, or at least, you know, filming it on my own terms. Then the director would obviously see me doing that, and sometimes the director would say, well, I want to do it this other way, and we would do that, you know, I would do what they said, but a lot of times they go, let's do that, you know, or some version of that, right, And so I was essentially leading the parade a little bit. And also it was my own inspiration I was trying to get, you know, because directors sometimes turned to me and say, what do you want to do here? There are other directors that I call shot directors, and those are directors who have decided how they're going to cover the scene before they've even blocked it. They have plan, they have a camera plan, and you are going to fit into their plan, come hell or high water. And if I if I get a director like that, I might pitch something. And if I get if it, if it's fertile ground, it'll grow. And if I don't, then I just go, Okay, this episode is going to be you know, a different job for me. So I changed my job based on what the director's wanting to do.
Speaker 2: Did you also carry a shot list of your own as you walked into the day.
Speaker 1: Never, I wanted you to inspire me and move my feet with what you did. In other words, you were making me move and think.
Speaker 4: I think, Conna. Do you remember as actors we kind of blocked the scenes a lot ourselves, didn't we.
Speaker 2: I mean we would walk in, we would do a little loosey goosey one and then we would then we would do a one that felt right, and if that felt right, then we get taped off and then lit. We didn't have a lot of time, but yeah, we did have a bit of a It depended.
Speaker 3: It depended on the director.
Speaker 1: And on the scene.
Speaker 4: Obviously, if we were standing around the situation table, then you know we had our places where it was best to be shoot. But yeah, we were, we were actually walking and talking. Yeah, that was I think it was very organic that what we did. And then a good director would find a way to with Marvin's help, would would help would shoot it accordingly. And on the bridge, I tell you what was I noticed we had that crane, didn't we which was a very useful tool. You never had to lay Dolly track and uh yeah, tell me about the crane. Was that a lot of money?
Speaker 1: Well, no, because we owned it. We owned it.
Speaker 4: I mean, was that something you brought back in the.
Speaker 1: I didn't own any equipment, and I deliberately chose not to do that. I could have owned gear, and I could have made myself a whole lot of money if I had it. Chose not to in the reason is because I wanted my crew to be able to make some money. Off of those things because that makes the mot of it, you know, it makes it keeps some really juice.
Speaker 4: Randy, Randy, Randy Burgess.
Speaker 1: Randy Rgen. Yes, Brandy owned that, I think the first season he maybe didn't when it was on Voyager, but he ended up buying that crane and making a good a goodly amount of money off of it over the years. I did own the remote head with Doug Nap, So I did have one piece of gear that I did own, and that's because you know, we couldn't get the studio to rent one for us. They wouldn't do it, you know, So.
Speaker 4: The operational equipment was we made.
Speaker 1: A sweetheart deal with them, and it was it was the crane was affordable. And also the thing with like with Mary Howard, you know, and they all learned that I could set a shot with a crane. Normally, if you if you have a crane on a set and you don't use it all the time and you bring it in once in a while, usually the day goes terrible because everybody's learning how to use this tool they only use occasionally. If you use it every single day, almost every day, and we did, it comes completely ordinary, right and and you know Arian Domingus, my my, my Dolly. The armman on the show, Adrian, you know, is a wizard.
Speaker 3: Is he still around?
Speaker 1: You know, I haven't talked to him a couple of years, but I know I think he is. He does all and he does all kinds of shows, and he does a lot of crane work. And in fact, we did a show together. I worked on Glee for two seasons and I was their techno crane operator and second DP and Adrian Domingus and Jim sal Duty were my the The guy on the Dolly was Jim and the armed man was Adrian, and we created all kinds of dance numbers on show. We did it out of just out of complete like on the fly Man, making it up as we go. It was really fun.
Speaker 4: So we had some great shots. I mean that that crane could start at the back of that bridge set and come all the way to a close up of Scholar, which.
Speaker 1: You couldn't do with Dolly track. It would never happen.
Speaker 2: Hey everyone, Connor here, Hey, guys, Dominate Keithing here.
Speaker 4: We want to thank you all for tuning into our trek podcast, The Decon Chamber with a.
Speaker 2: We shtually opened our merch shop and we wanted to show you some of the T shirts you can get there right now.
Speaker 4: There are many designs, including these two wonderful ones I went to and oh I got. I was tied up in a basement with him. And let me tell you, this is just the beginning. We've got so much more to come.
Speaker 2: If you want to check them out, head to the dcon chamber dot com slash shop and.
Speaker 4: If you are a patroon, you get a discount all of this.
Speaker 2: It's a great way to support the show and rep the decon Chamber at the same time. And no new we had such an interesting dynamic where halfway through our show we went from film to digital. Yeah, I'd love to hear how that experience went for you in terms of one, uh, that obvious thing occurring, but also you know, how how vested were you in realizing being four uh digital or any of that?
Speaker 1: How?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 1: How because that.
Speaker 3: Was we changed as the industry changed.
Speaker 1: On our show, we actually were the first I think episodic television show to go HT in Hollywood.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, letter Box too, you know, sixteen by nine, that's correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what happened was this first of all I'd mentioned that I'd started off in the live television world, so I had experience. I mean I did. I did the Dinah Shore Talk Show. That's a video show back in the day, you know, I mean I did. I did. I did Solid Gold as a handheld operator on solving Gold. I did, I did. I did. I did Days So.
Speaker 3: Scott's wife before Scott went met his.
Speaker 1: Yes, I did. I did Soul Training, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did a show for some time called Rock of the Eighties, which we did all kinds of I did Cindy Lauper and and uh what p I l and Berlin and I mean I did Jack mac in thee Heart Attack. And you know, a lot of concert work, tonya bb king, Uh, a lot of concert work. But what I'm saying is I had experience in the television world the electronic camera world before HD, so I was already quite comfortable with working with a digital camera. And I also knew something that nobody else did. I really did know this that in the in the foot race between chemistry and electronics, electronics is going to win. And I knew that the first generation of those cameras might not be it might be close to film.
Speaker 5: It might be better, it might be a little bit less good in in some ways, but it was going to win the argument, and I thought I would rather be on the leading edge of this than behind.
Speaker 1: Hey, we're science fiction. Why don't we do something new, you know, let's be scientific.
Speaker 4: Was it your idea to take that up or we pushed by?
Speaker 1: What happened was this We shot a sequence on Voyager during the time when Panavision had partnered with Sony with it with their version of a Panavized Sony HD camera, and it was set up to shoot twenty four p you know, twenty four frames, and we shot a sequence and it was it was successful. I think it was. Actually we might have very well done it on a board set. I think I might have been a board set. Yeah, my memory is soft on this. I just remember we shot a couple of days, and I don't remember whether it was a pure test or whether it was whether it aired, might have just been a test, I'm not sure. I'm not sure. I remember that Panavision asked us to do it, and of course I said, bring it on, man, I'm ready, let's go. So then when it was time to do it, I was for it. I thought it would be a lot of fun to do something, you know, a challenge, something different. You know, a lot of the and my crew were scared to death of it.
Speaker 2: Did you want to, like then explore what cameras might work for the show or.
Speaker 1: Well, at that time, there was one choice. At that time, there really was. There were a couple of other cameras out there that were clearly not good enough to do the job. And there was this sony I think it was the Red It wasn't Red. Red is a different company, was it. Yeah, you're conflating two cameras. The Red system is a is a different system. The guy that invented one of those guys that invented sunglasses, the Oakley I think Oakley Sunglasses was the guy that that pioneered Red no kidding, Yeah, yeah, And so they're not the same. And I and I worked with a Red. I haven't worked with it for a long time. I currently I shoot with the Alexa. When I shoot, I shoot Most of the time I shoot with the Alexa.
Speaker 4: The workhorse cameras was the Panaflex Gold. Wasn't it too? That was did you miss?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: That was your That was that the one you had on your shoulder all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had we had a goal to and we also had a lightweight gold that stripped down handheld gold, and that was the one I used for handheld most of the time, with a four hundred foot mag on the back.
Speaker 4: And you loved being in there, I remember in the ACA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I developed over the years, I developed a theory of you know, like I talked about a theory of lighting, right, I developed a theory of camera that I applied to the work I was doing. The theory was that when you go handheld and you go in close with the actors where you're physically very close to the actors, like let's say with a thirty five milimeter or a twenty eight millimeter in that range, and you film it, you suddenly are essentially like a non speaking actor in the scene. And so what happens is the cast begins to treat you like a non speaking actor. They share the intimacy with the lens in a way that you don't get when you fall back and you get further away. When you come right in, right in on top of that actor's face, you see every single thing, and they feel you as a person at least I'm speaking for you guys, you're the actors. But but my experience is that so that becomes experiential for the camera. The audience suddenly is invited into the scene in a way that they're not if they're observing from outside.
Speaker 2: I remember these times, and you know, I've had several of them in my career, but I remember these with with you is that you know, when that other character comes in, who's a non speaking part, it generates energy and intention within the scene.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's what it does, is it makes the audience feel that they're really a participant, you know, that they're actually just like the actors that are standing there. They're one of those people that are standing there watching, you know, hearing and watching and observing what's going on. And and so whenever the scene I felt was right for that, and and also especially when the stakes get high, you know, when when there's no it's imposing, you know, then I would do it only because we were behind, I have to hurry up, and I don't have to you know, I can get something shot more quickly, and it's for schedule, which was rare most of the time. When I went to that technique, and I sometimes would talk to the directors and they wouldn't want to do that. But after I'd shown them a few scenes, you know, over the course of seven or eight days, or if they'd worked with me before, you know, I'd say, hey, what do you want to do this handheld and they go, yeah, let's do it. And they would say that for two reasons. One is they knew that it would add energy, it would add in an immediacy, and it also they knew that I would be able to get the scene done quickly enough that they could put some time into some of the other scenes. There were two aspects to it. One was schedule and the other was intention. But I think the most important was the intention part. It creates an intimacy you don't get any other way.
Speaker 4: We when we got to love you and trust you and get used to this black box in our face, it was. It was fabulous those scenes that we shot like that. Yeah, there was an immediacy and and a trust and you knew and you were such a good eye. I remember you used to sometimes just go and take it on them. You know, you were very clever at that, and you the director wouldn't hear you. You was just like, you know, you might want to do it this way. I remember once you say to me, don't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know, you know, here's the thing. I mean, let's get into a philosophy. Another thing, I guess. I always have a motto about just about everything I do. But one of the things that is a motto of mine is I really really want to be in love with my actors. You know, I really want them to know that I actually love them. And I don't mean like a romantic love. I mean the agape love, which is the love of so a man, but with actual, true, genuine affection, appreciation and love. And if you feel that I love you, you're going to trust me because I'm trustworthy, yeah, you know, And that we're a team. We're gonna work together. It's like, you know, we're you know, we're compadres here.
Speaker 4: You know. That was an amazing thing about our set, in particular, given that we were coming to the end of what they call these legacy shows and a lot of you guys have been together for sixteen years, and it was such a beautifully well oiled machine, and there was so much love and trust on that set, and you welcomed us. That was another thing that really struck me was how much how easily you welcomed these upstars driving their new porches onto the lot.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I mean, you know the thing is that you know, I mean, actors put it all on the line. This morning, I watched the scene from Terror a Terror Prime. Yeah, Terror Prime.
Speaker 4: That'sked about the service for for Elizabeth.
Speaker 1: I mean I was bawling in that in that final scene was so great And that's I mean, and you you know, you really I told you. I remember the note I gave you too, because I was directing on that one. I said, I want you to break me. I don't know if you remember that, but that's what I said.
Speaker 3: You know, I will tell you the story behind this. We were pregnant with Jasper, my son, uh huh.
Speaker 2: And it was like, you know, you're not supposed to say anything until like three months in, until it sticks. I was hiding this information and when you said, you know, do that, I just let it all go. And it was literally my confession of being pregnant for Volk and a human never decided to have a child, it'd probably be okay.
Speaker 3: And also I had to walk away. I had to put myself together that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we and I remember you walked away and I just said, everybody, I said, just be quiet. We're not going to say a word. When he's ready, he'll come back. We have all the time in the world. Let's just relax and not worry about it. I could care less how long this takes. I don't care if it takes all day, it's fine with me. We're going to get a great scene because we're going to be patient.
Speaker 4: And toughing up stuff.
Speaker 1: Really right, And you and you did break me, honest to God, on the day. I was crying when you finish that scene on the set and I was crying. I was crying today watching it twenty some odd years later. So you know, no job, man, that's true.
Speaker 4: Here's what I think.
Speaker 3: Here's what I think about all of what we do. We are trying to tell the truth, yeah.
Speaker 2: In its essence, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. And that was one of those times when you know, the truth happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is in fact. What actors do you know? I mean I always tell people, I say, look, here's why it's so, why actors are so rare, why they're so special is because they have the ability to say things that someone wrote six months ago that wasn't them, and then to say it with absolute total conviction, be somebody they're not, and make you believe it. Now, you try that, anybody, Try that. Try that somebody else's words, you know, make them your own completely as if you just thought of it, even like not only as the written down, but you just just this moment thought of it while reacting to the other people in the scene, and make somebody believe that it's completely authentic, and also be somebody you're not. That is why actors are so precious. And I don't mean that in a negative majority way. I mean that in a rare way. They are rare, and the people that can actually pull that alchemy off are by definition a very small percentage of the population. It's true, and so and so when I work with actors, I can't do that. By the way, I cannot do that job that you do. I cannot do. And I've tried a little tiny bit, and I showed myself exactly why I should never try, Okay, because I can't do it. Okay, I just don't have the kid, so you do. And that's the thing, and that's why that's where that love comes from. It's from a genuine, deep appreciation for the reality of what you guys do.
Speaker 4: With that in mind, you do you prefer directing or did you like cinematography because it was just the steadier gig.
Speaker 1: That also, here's the thing about me. First of all, today, and I decided to wait until this morning because I wanted it to be fresh in my mind. I could have watched the episodes a couple of days ago. I watched them all back to back this morning because I wanted to be I wanted to be fresh for you guys with this this interview. And I watched tr Prime and I also watched Mirror Darkly two, which are two episodes of the shows that I directed. Okay, and I remember I had in the day at the time, I think I had some bittersweet feelings about directing. But I watched it today and I thought to my self, No, no, that's not fair. I hit two home runs.
Speaker 4: I think I did.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I really. I mean, I don't mean to brag, but I think I had done things that were not but but those were And if I had applied myself to the directing job, and really focused my energies. I probably could have been successful at it. But here's the problem. Okay, here's what I'm good at. When something I actually firmly, honestly believe in, like to the bottom of my heart, I'm unstoppable. But if I don't believe it, I suck, right, Okay. And when you're a television director, yeah, you have to be able to not suck all the time.
Speaker 4: As a roll of the dice on what episode you're going to get and uh, yeah, agreed, and so and so.
Speaker 1: For me, if I had been a television episodic director, I think I would not have ultimately been able to make a living at it because I would have been handed something that I didn't like, didn't get, didn't understand, and couldn't do. And that's not what a TV director does. A feature filmed. The problem with features is though you might go four or five years between projects, so you spend all this time getting it ready and never practicing the skill. Whereas a television director, man, he's working all the time, he's practicing. So the better circumstance would have been me on a show that I loved with actors that I know, and then I got invited to do episodes, which is what I did, you know, and we've gone on a couple more seasons. If we had, I'm sure I would have asked for and been offered more episodes because I think, you know, I think Terror Prime was pretty good.
Speaker 4: That's all finale Terror Prime, It really is.
Speaker 1: The thing about the Mirror Darkly is that it was a chance for the actors to like Archer was channeling Spock. Yeah, he was doing his version of Spock. Yeah, and he was great at it. It was it wasn't quite a copy. It was just he was inhabiting that character, right.
Speaker 4: And then Connor didn't much like what he did in the first as part of it, but he found an can't you found your You found your way in the second part beautifully, mate, Probably just a.
Speaker 1: Microfracture in the can't do it?
Speaker 4: You really want to interrupt the captain for that, I tell you. There's one scene that Flox has with Paul in the Messile when they asked after poor old Reed that's sort of had a you know, a rather sort of near fatal inner death. His reaction is just brilliant.
Speaker 1: What's major Reed's condition?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: At this point he could go either way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't care.
Speaker 4: Or may not survive, but nobody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I totally don't care. I don't care.
Speaker 4: It was brilliant and that soon he got aware alame was just brilliant.
Speaker 3: Marvin.
Speaker 2: You you uh walked into directing this episode. It's just a two part question. One thing I'll say is that you know we had we also got the information that we were canceled.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you know you throughout your career.
Speaker 2: Have had you know, different shows go and then they stop, and then they go and they stop, and this for all of.
Speaker 3: Us, most of us, it was so very disappointing.
Speaker 2: But I guess the question I want to ask is, when you're directing an episode, are you still the cinematographer and the DP.
Speaker 1: I'm not credited then, but I I lit that show, I directed it and I operated it.
Speaker 4: I kidding, okay.
Speaker 1: And the reason why is because I wasn't willing to give it to anybody else.
Speaker 4: Right, not even Doug Knapp. You wouldn't. I mean, Doug was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Doug, you know, I don't. I can't tell you every shot that I did or didn't do. I just know that if it was on the shoulder. I did it, and I also know that if it was a wonner, I did it okay. And there are a lot of wonners in those those episodes, Both of themizones have a lot of wonners where the actors take you to the moments right. There's a lot of movement in those scenes, like like in Mirror Darkly that episode. You know, if you look at that and break it down, you'll see there's a lot of shots that are won My favorite winner is the romantic scene between Archer and Hoshi exactly. And I told them, I said, you know, I want to shoot this in complete silhouette.
Speaker 7: I've never been the Concert of an Emperor before.
Speaker 5: Is there anything I.
Speaker 1: Need to know?
Speaker 3: I think you've got the basics down.
Speaker 1: We've never done a silhouette show episode and are seeing in any Star Trek that I've done. I recorded a little tiny bit of it, and then I had them look at the monitor and they saw it, and I said, guys, I said, here's the thing about that. You can do anything you want and the audience won't see anything. You'll see everything that they that they imagine.
Speaker 4: It was so sexy, it really was.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it was those guys, they both got it. No, I got no pushback from them. I said, it's a winner. I'm not going to cover it. I said, so you know, we got to we'll do it. We'll do as many takes it takes to you guys, have one you like and I like you know. And that's the thing I always, I don't know if you remember Connor, I always said to you guys, I said, you know, were you happy you did you like that? Would you like another one? You know?
Speaker 4: My?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I did, Marvin.
Speaker 2: And you know what I would always I wouldn't always do this, but if it was a particularly i don't know, intense or important scene, the same I would say, Okay, we got it, and I would say to you, can I have one for free?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely. And the thing about that is is that very often what I would actually say to you guys was I'd say, Okay, you know, I love that, I got it. I got what I need. You know, all the values I was looking for, we got. Now would you like to do another one?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Or words to that effect, which puts you in the driver's seat, Yeah, I mean, it gives you the authority, so you know, in other words, I'm It's not an abdication on my part. It's more an invitation to be the author of your own work, right.
Speaker 4: Because the actor always knows if they think they could tweak it slightly better.
Speaker 1: And sometimes it was better. A lot of times it wasn't. But we also discovered it wasn't better. Yes, exactly, exactly. Yeah, we discovered that we hit the We hit the thing out of the park.
Speaker 4: And you know, I always have.
Speaker 1: The right to as an editor, that you know, be editing the piece, to pick the one I like the most. I mean, that's you know, and the producers have theirs. The antidote to the producers taking the show away from you is to make sure every single scene is so good they won't touch it.
Speaker 6: Marvin, I've always wanted to ask I behind the lens, Yeah, you tell what is a great performance when you're looking at it through the lens versus how you see it?
Speaker 1: Say, in the editing bay.
Speaker 2: You've got all these good examples of you know, Marilyn Monroe and other actors who who people were acting with and going like their pants.
Speaker 3: See them, it would be mesmeric.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you know, yes, I think so. I'm I'm personally convinced to be a cheerleader for the system. In other words, I want to embody positive energy because I believe that if I put out put out positive energy, I get it back right, So I'm never going to be negative around the cast. I want them to do well. I want them to do their best work. I always want them to do the best work, and I assume they are doing their very best work. Some you know, some guest actors that we've had on shows. You know, I think, well, I think we could have done that, that could have been done better. Right, you know, that does happen. Right, But generally speaking, as I told you how I feel about actors and what it is that they do, and the fact that I know, for damn sure, I cannot even come close to doing what they do, So for me to criticize an actor would be pretty stupid, Okay, I mean just not fair. So yes, the short answer is yes, I can tell when somebody affects me. You know, I'm one of these people that's on the verge of tears all the time. In other words, my emotional state is accessible. It's really close to the surface. I laugh when I see something funny, and I cry when I see something that makes me sad, and I tell people, I say, listen, if you want to know what I'm thinking, look at my face and you'll be able to tell immediately what I'm thinking. So I can't hide it very well. I'm not a very good actor, you know. In other words, I can't hide it, right. So, yeah, I'm a cheerleader by nature. I'm excited about the work. I want the people doing the work to do their very best work, and I'm patient for them to find their best performance. I think that's you know, I think that's important. So yeah, but when somebody nails it, it's like, yeah, okay, I get it, you know. And that's why I'll come to you when i'm when i'm directing, and I'll say, okay, well, you know, I got what I was looking for. I got everything. Would you like to do one more? You know, have you got something color that you wanted to show me that you haven't shown yet. I'm not expecting you to get to do something better, because I've already gotten what I was wanted.
Speaker 4: You know. But sometimes I mean and sometimes it was better, and yeah, I will use that, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is a this is a team sport. You know, it really is a sport. And you know, if you're on stage, well you control the performance completely. But if you're on a camera, the lens, the lighting, the other actors around you, the time you had to spend waiting in your trailer, you know before you had a chance to act. You know, those are all factors that affect what you're able to accomplish.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, So when you work on some sets where you know the lead and others don't think of it as a team sport and it's a miserable affair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it can be. I have worked my career on excellent shows, you know. I mean, I really have another show that I'm very fond of is Hell on Wheels, right, and you know that show was like all the Star Trek shows, one of the ones that are put up with anything. I mean, I was inches.
Speaker 4: Away from getting one of the Irish brothers on that job.
Speaker 1: Oh really, the perfect for that.
Speaker 4: I know, they changed the ages and I was too young and too old for either one of them, but they were I was minutes of this clothes to get Oh wow, the older brother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would have been fun. Well, you know, but you know the thing is that. I'm proud of that show. I mean, and I also, you know, that was completely different than science fiction. No, it doesn't have anything. It was a hard shoot up there.
Speaker 4: And where were you in albert in Calgaryeah, I mean in the dead of winter and.
Speaker 1: We had weather and we had you know, we had hot summers and it was Yeah, it was a physical job.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about the thought because it is a seminal episode and you directed that, and Con and I both just looked at it. I mean, it is a throwback to you know, the original show, and in spades, tell us a bit about that because it was hell of a piece, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Here's what happened. Okay. I read the script and I thought to myself, I get to be Federico Fellini, right, yeah, okay, I mean they're giving me Federico Fellini. Okay, yeah. I saw Eight and a Half. I know that movie. I'm gonna do. I'm doing my version of Eight and a half. Watch this. Then in the production meeting, I said things like I said, you know, we need some circus performers, you know, because this guy's a clown. Well, you can't have a clown without some circus performers and Mary Howard, God bless her. Mary Howard said, why don't we get some circusley from Vegas? And I said, oh, they came from Vegas.
Speaker 4: I thought maybe they were in the Godpark of Santa Monica. They got them from Vegas.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, let me be careful here. I don't know exactly where she got I remember hearing Vegas. All I know is that we were originally going to have like twice as many and they couldn't afford it, but they but she's she fought for and protect me by giving me enough to make the story work. Well it was Yeah, that's number one. Michael McKeon was not a choice that I would have thought of first for that job. But when he read for the he read for it. We read for the part. I just said, I didn't read. I'm not sure if you read or not, but I but I thought to myself, he's a luney enough guy. I mean, is the characters he's played, not not him as a person, but I mean he he he will be able to be off the wall. And I thought, we need that guy to be maniacal and self absorbed and crazy. Okay, you know, classic and classic in a classic Yeah, yeah, he wasn't over the top. He was you know, from Shakespeare, and he was focused. That character was very focused on accomplishing what he wanted, you know, selfishly what he wanted.
Speaker 3: I have only one demand to exist.
Speaker 1: So they handed me this surrealistic Federico Fellini thing. And one of the things I said to everybody that would listen, I said, look, normally we pay attention to continu it. But because this is like a video game, when you jump to the next level, everything moves right instantly, you know. And in other words, the clown could be over here and then you whip the camera and he's over here, and you're here without an invitation, What is going on?
Speaker 7: Who is he?
Speaker 3: You will talk to me?
Speaker 1: In other words, he's wherever he wants to be at any moment he wants to be instantaneously. So there is no continuity in the classic sense when we're inside his world. And so that was the other determination. And then also just I said, you know, we've got to keep this moving, like, don't let the audience have a moment of rest. You know that the thing is spinning like a top. It's just pedal to the metal. No no chance to reflect. It's coming at you all the time. And so that was the that was those were the north stars.
Speaker 4: And you know, I know, how did you because the background artist was so you know, integral to the telling of this, how did you direct them? Because officially speaking, directors can't direct background.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, yeah, well that's true that you can't. And doesn't we actually cast anybody that had a bit, even the like the like the henchman, that the guy that chops off the heads, he had a little physical bit. Well we cast that part. If my memory is correct, this a long time ago, but we cast that. I mean I read that part, and you know I had them do it. And they were paid extra for you know, they were extras, I think, but they were also they were you know, they had a bit, right extra. They get a different pay rate. The little people. We cast those two Like there was one lady that was a little person.
Speaker 3: And we cast.
Speaker 1: And she had lines. She had one line or maybe two.
Speaker 7: Where are you from another town?
Speaker 4: There aren't any other towns.
Speaker 1: Talking to the extras, What I would do is I would have the A D stand next to me, and I would tell the A D and figure it out and act out what I wanted them to do. I'd say, now, I want you to tell them and I was literally like here and I'd say I want them to do and then when this happens, I wanted to do this thing like I'm doing right now, right. And then when this part happens, and I said it as loud as I could say so that everybody heard it. And then this is the director said, well, they'll just do that.
Speaker 4: What he said.
Speaker 1: In other words, in other words, I wasn't mean about it, but I didn't want to miss them.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No one from the DGA came down and went, this is not well.
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't break the rules. I was telling him what I wanted him to tell.
Speaker 3: Them loudly, loudly.
Speaker 1: I'm enthusiastic, that's all. I'm just enthusiastic.
Speaker 4: I understand you rehearsed, which is unusual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well what we did was I told I asked Mary. I said, look, I would love to run the show at lunch two days before we shoot.
Speaker 4: When you're working as a as the DP on whatever that episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I know I was I think I was.
Speaker 2: I was not.
Speaker 1: I was prepping because God, because I had to prep the episode I had to prep direct, but I came down to the set during a lunch one of the days during lunch, and the whole cast agreed to do it. They all agreed to do it, and I think as a favor to me, and I said, let's do it. We'll read through and I won't say it or I just want to hear it. And they read it through, and then I gave notes on each of the sequences what I thought was important to stress, and we ran it one more time. After each scene. I gave a couple of very brief notes. In other words, I didn't tell people how to act. What I was trying to accomplish is what was important from from the director's storytelling point of view about these sequences and what I wanted to stress. And then we ran it the third time at lunch, and we did it very quickly, ran the whole episode quickly. We had just enough time to get it one more time the third time, and I didn't give any notes. I just sat there and listened to it. When it was all done, I said, that's perfect, everybody what she did, because that's we're gonna shoot.
Speaker 4: It helps a lot, doesn't it. When you get to the luxury of that.
Speaker 1: It helped me because I knew what I was going to be shooting. I'd heard it from the performers.
Speaker 4: Because it could have been a clunk cut. I mean, it could have been a clunky episode if if it hadn't have been handled.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I honestly have to say I was fearless.
Speaker 2: I really was.
Speaker 1: I had no fear whatsoever because I knew I was going to do Fellini, and I knew Eight and a Half really well, and I knew that the spirit of Eight and a Half is what I was going to I was going to be channeling that movie, and so I did, and the best, to the best of my.
Speaker 4: The finale of it is just is wondrous.
Speaker 1: I wrote the line did you yes? Yes. Michael Pillar was the writer on the show, and I said to him, you know that that scene with Jane Way when she talks to the clown just before it's over to me, this this episode is a treatise on the nature of fear, that it's really about fear. And I said, you know, I said, the thing about fear is that it's important. It protects us from danger, it keeps us safe, right.
Speaker 7: You Wanness of danger, remind us of our limits, protect us from carelessness. I've learned to trust fear.
Speaker 1: But fear, if you allow it to control you, it will destroy you. And I said, I said. I said to Michael, I said, so, could you write something like that? And I said, why don't they just say that? I said, okay, let's do that. I think you may have changed one word, but that's basically but it came from an honest place. I thought we needed a summation. And to me, the important thing is it's a funny, weird show, but it had a point. And the point was that you have to conquer fear or fear will conquer you.
Speaker 7: You know as well as I do, that fear only exists for one purpose, to be conquered.
Speaker 1: That's all we were.
Speaker 4: And the whole episode was about that, out into darkness.
Speaker 1: And then and then he came up with the line draft, I'm afraid draft bad. I heard that, Yeah, yeah, and I initially, you know, it's funny. Initially I hated it. I thought that's that's wrong. But I didn't say that. I just sat there and I go, yeah, okay. And later, when he did it, I thought to myself, it's a good button. That's perfect. So I was wrong. My initial instinct was to try to control that, and I decided not to. You know, I thought, okay, well I can get rid of it. I don't like it. But but but but that wasn't that wasn't brought up. I simply thought it, and it took me a little while. When we actually shot it, I recalled thinking, yeah, that's that's good. That's good. When I saw it.
Speaker 4: Why it does work? But it does. It's his demise, it's his flipness, it's.
Speaker 1: His But it's also it's that character. It's that character. It is Yeah, it's honestly that character.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: To wrap this up, if you don't mind, I'm going to read you a quote that I found that Rick Berman said about you. More importantly, after thirteen years, Marvin comes to work every day and approaches each setup as if it were the first day of his first season. His enthusiasm and his unceasing desire to creatively find best solutions to problems just blows us away. And I think that sums up your work on our shows.
Speaker 1: Well, I have to say that sounds like me, because I really did love every minute of it.
Speaker 4: That was to say.
Speaker 1: There weren't a few days when I was thinking, oh my god, you know, but they were very But there were very few of those, you know, there were very few days that weren't. And I always felt like the solution was that the job, the joy of it was to outsmart the problem and make something great. That was the job. I love you.
Speaker 4: I did it on the Space Bawel and it was an honor working with you. Marvin's an honor to know you. But you're so glad you came on side.
Speaker 2: We all have sort of categories in the craft we're all doing to try to make an art happen.
Speaker 3: Your your top shelf of what you do.
Speaker 1: Well, it was a lot of fun, you know, a lot of fun. I'm still growing, you know. I've got a little movie I'm gonna go do in Illinois coming up in a couple of weeks. Yeah, it's something I haven't done before, a genre that I really haven't worked in before. I can't say too much about it. And it's a small movie, it's a little budget feature. But you know, I'm not a kid anymore. I still love doing it, you know, I still love it. Yeah, you are okay, all right, I'll take that.
Speaker 4: You sail still, and do you still serve a bit?
Speaker 1: Do you have a little bit? Yeah, I don't serve as much as I used to, bless and I but I have my boat down in Mexico and I just got back, in fact, not too long ago, from a trip from barr nab Dog all the way up to Puerto Penasco and the Sia Cortes, which is like about a thousand miles.
Speaker 4: You single handedly, You single did that.
Speaker 1: I did a single handed Yeah, on a fifty two foot sail boat.
Speaker 4: Wow, big boat something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I usually have Patty there with me, but she didn't. She wasn't interested this time, so I did by myself.
Speaker 4: You are a maverick, sir, you really are. I'll let you know when it airs, so you're gonna have a look at it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Cool.
Speaker 4: It's just been a joy. Thank you, Thank you, Arvin, thank you.
Speaker 1: Take care.
Speaker 3: Boy boy.
Speaker 1: Boy Boy on