Speaker 1: Welcome to You Should Know Better with Mike C. Nelson, the guy who won't shut up about winning three times on Jeopardy.
Speaker 2: Welcome to you Should Know Better, the trivia podcast that tests your knowledge and a little bit of your patience. Our goal here is to celebrate the theme of continuing education. We should always be learning and always be on the prowl to know better. Now we will meet our tremendous guests and hear all about what first class causes they are playing for, and shortly crown one of them the smartest person in the world for one week. But as for right now, let's jump right into some questions and or answers with our first four rounds today.
Speaker 1: Round one General.
Speaker 2: Knowledge, Thinking, caps on, ladies, pencils at the ready, and away we go. There are eight questions in the General Knowledge round. Here is question number one. Trains come to life and actors are on roller skates in what musical? This musical? It's a head scratcher when I saw that this was an actual musical came out probably a few decades ago. But it's all about trains that come to life and the actors that portray these trains are on roller skates.
Speaker 3: I knew about the roller skates, I did not know that they're portraying trains.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's I believe we could have Jackie look this up. But I think it is like an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical that's I think still performed, which is insane. Again for question number one, trains come to life and actors are on roller skates and what Andrew Lloyd Webber musical? How do we feel after one question?
Speaker 4: I feel like okay, and is this not easy? But it's not a loss like I'm like, this feels like right at the you know, cusp of my brain.
Speaker 1: Okay, you feel confident. I feel at ease.
Speaker 2: Yep, I love it.
Speaker 1: Smooth sailed over here.
Speaker 2: The gamesmanship already they love it. It's thick, they get all right. Question number two of eight. What's the name of that weird, little fleshy extension at the back of your soft palate which hangs above your throat? What is that little dingleberry called in the back of your throat? It's got a name? What is that thing? What's the name? Have you ever heard? I'll give you the clue that it starts with the letter you, starts with the letter you. What is the name of that little fleshy thing that hangs in the back of your throat. It's a weird word. Have you ever heard of this word?
Speaker 3: I have, But I'm a freak. Yeah, I mean yeah, but I'm a freak.
Speaker 1: I'm a body freak.
Speaker 3: I want to know what everything's called.
Speaker 2: Softer hard palates. That's Jackie's wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I did have to learn the anatomy of the mouth in musical theater class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, voice and speech.
Speaker 1: Here, here's the flex.
Speaker 4: It makes certain that whoever designed the body, whether it was science or Jesus Christ, was a bit of a jokester to put a little punching bag in on outs.
Speaker 3: True, and I it's like, is it there to, I guess stop you from choking? But it's not because it doesn't really, it's we took nothing, and it's so like fleshy and nothing. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: I've choked multiple times and it did nothing. It didn't do anything.
Speaker 1: I'm literally constantly choking. I don't know when I'm not choking.
Speaker 2: All right, To number three, I hope this is this is a layup for you too. Question number three, who wrote the Goosebumps series of young adult horror novels, Goosebumps by who wrote those many books? Last name will Suffice for number three who wrote all the goosebumps.
Speaker 1: Please don't embarrass me.
Speaker 3: I'm honestly so bad with authors. I'm not a part of this, you know. I can see the answers, but I am so bad with authors' names.
Speaker 1: I could be wrong about this, but I read every single one of these books.
Speaker 2: Oh we shall see, all right? Question number four? Can you name the popular newspapers from either of these three cities? You only need one of these three most populous or most popular newspapers from either San Francisco, Denver or Kansas City? Can you name those famous newspapers from either of those cities? The San Francisco what, the Denver What? Or the Kansas City what? Can you name any of those newspapers from those towns for question number four? All right? Are you guys ready for number five?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, on all right.
Speaker 2: Here's question number five. The Whalers were the main backup band for what singer slash musician who? And the Whalers for number five? Very famous. The Whalers were the main backup band for what singer slash musician? For question number five.
Speaker 3: This general knowledge. I'm not gonna lie. I'm not looking at the answers, and i haven't like looked at you guys's game in a very long time. This is a hard general knowledge. Things are stumping.
Speaker 1: I don't know if any of these questions are about baseball, but I'll tell you that I'm taking some big sways.
Speaker 3: Oh good, good, good good.
Speaker 2: That's what we like to hear. All right, Question number six. T and Doe that's spelled Ti and do O were the leaders of this cult that committed mass suicide in nineteen ninety seven as the hail Bop Comets Swung by Earth. But T and Doe were the weird. The weird leaders of this cult that committed mass suicide in nineteen ninety seven is the hail Bop Comet Swung by Earth. There's been podcasts made about this and documentaries. It's a two word title of this cult. All right, Question number seven of eight. We're at the penultimate question in the general knowledge round. Liza Cologne, Zias, Abby Elliot, and ao at Abiri are three of the ladies you'll see on What Hit FX show on Hulu, one of the best shows in zu world. Liza Colone, Zias, Abby Elliott and Ao ed Abiri are three of the ladies you'll see on What Hit FX on Hulu. Show for number seven, name the show and finally question number eight. Here we are. We're at the end of the general knowledge a round. How do you say thank you in Japanese? How do you say thank you in Japanese? All right, pencils down. We will go over your answers in just a few moments. But it's time to meet our wonderful guests from Orangeville, Ontario, Canada. Are friends to the North. She's got live shows and music videos for self Esteem Party you can find on YouTube and Instagram. My friend Alana Johnston is here today.
Speaker 1: We wouldn't be happier. I'll tell you one thing. I'm here to learn. I'm here to know, yes, what those facts are? Time will tell possibly tell you nothing. We Shalseie very excited to be in the mix. Thank you so much for having me. Cannot wait to see how this.
Speaker 2: Turns out and tabulous. You can follow Alana on social media the Only Alana Johnston on Instagram. Alana, what charity are you playing for today?
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for asking. I am playing for a charity called Oxfam, which is actually does a lot of like relief in helping refugees around the world, kind of wherever there's where it's needed, So it's constantly changing, which is one of the things that I liked about it, because not that I don't I give to a couple different charities, but the reason why I like Oxfam is because it was one of the first ones I started giving to, and I feel like they've grown so much and they've done such a good job with their outreach. So I want to be able to support that, and I want to sink those other charities. Yeah, and that's why I'm here to do. I want to shut the rest down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey, Red Cross suck.
Speaker 1: A d I'm done. Okay, I guess what so are you?
Speaker 2: Yes, well, we're happy to make a donation in your name to OXPAM Win or Lose. And now it's time to meet your opponent and good friend from Port Washington, New York.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: She's got a sundance short called pathological My friend Alison Rich.
Speaker 4: Is here to you so much, and here because I know too much and I'm looking to drop off some bacs delete them from my brain. I'm sort of burdened by all my knowledge.
Speaker 2: So you've been carrying it around for decades, and it's time to impart some of your wisdom, right, I want.
Speaker 4: To thin out my brain. She's sort of like too.
Speaker 3: She's too voluminous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, for sure. You can follow Alison on social media at Alison rich one two three on Instagram. Alison, what charity are you playing for today?
Speaker 4: I'm playing for Big Brothers, Big Sisters. And this is a charity that takes only children and gives them more siblings. So I hear, I'm not actually sure, and it's an American charity, okay, because I feel like America's number one.
Speaker 1: Yep, this is good. This is good stuff and way.
Speaker 4: Forward to make America even more number one, more siblings. For people to have only children walking around, it kind of creates like a selfish culture. Throwing some older sisters, older brothers to bully you know, young people, sort of gives them that like toxic need to dominate. And that's sort of what I think America is all about. And I'm excited to, you know, support that anyway possible.
Speaker 1: Bucket, I'm switching my charity. No, that's a sell if I ever heard one that's switching my charity, great cell job.
Speaker 2: We're happy to make a donation in your name to Big Brothers and Big Sisters win or lose. You know these great charities we're playing for today. You know our wonderful, funny guests. But it's time to get back to brass tacks and go over our answers for a very challenging round one, our general knowledge around. Let's do this question Number one of eight was trains come to life and actors are on roller skates and what Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, Miss Johnston, what did you put for number one?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Easy, Thomas the tank gets his groove back. If that's not it, you tell me what it is.
Speaker 2: I think they just I just texted Andrew Andy. I call him, and I think he's changing the name Allison's.
Speaker 3: Funny because when I checked when I call him, I call him Lloyd. He tells me to he goes by Lloyd.
Speaker 1: That's weird.
Speaker 4: I put Starlight Express. Wow, I think is actually one hundred percent correct.
Speaker 2: Starlight Express or Thomas the Tank engine gets his groove back. One of you is correct. The correct answer for number one is Starlight Express. Alison Rich up one to nothing after one unbelievable inane? All right? Question number two is our little human body question. What's the name of that weird, little fleshy extension at the back of your soft palate which hangs above your throat? What is it called? I said, it starts with the letter you. Alison. What did you put?
Speaker 4: You vuola?
Speaker 2: Your U vuola? Alana? What did you put?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: You said it was really funny day I wrote, urua, that was kind of funny.
Speaker 3: That's really close to what Allison wrote.
Speaker 1: It's so close to what Alison said, And I thought, well, why don't I take a risk for one? So I put it down you.
Speaker 2: Are a risk taker. The correct answer is your U vuola. It is your uvula in the back of your For number two, all right, here we go. Question number three. Who wrote the Goosebump series of young adult horror novels? Alana Banana?
Speaker 1: The only author I know is a child rl Stein r l Stein, I said, had to be him, never learned the name of another author.
Speaker 2: Had to be uh, miss Rich. What did you put?
Speaker 4: I put?
Speaker 2: R l Stein, r l Stein or r l Stein? The correct answer is r l Stein. Three? For three for Allison and Alana is off the Schneider. Here we go. Question number four, Kenya, name the popular newspapers from either San Francisco, Denver or Kansas City.
Speaker 4: Allison, I put the San Francisco Chronicle, San Francisco Chronicle.
Speaker 2: Great, guess, uh, Atlanta, what did you put?
Speaker 1: The k C Gazette?
Speaker 2: K C Gazette. So let's go through them. We have the San Francisco Chronicle. Allison is correct with that. We have the that's a good one, though.
Speaker 1: Wait, the San Francisco Chronicles. The most popular paper.
Speaker 2: I think in San franciscocis or the city, not like worldwide because then you're talking New York Times and Washington Post. Uh. The Denver Post. That's Denver's like main main rag is the Denver Post. And then the Kansas City one is the Kansas City Star. It's the Kansas City Star. Is the main newspaper?
Speaker 1: Not possible to believe, asked the locals. But I'll get it.
Speaker 2: We'll have Jackie looking up right now. Is there a Kansas City Gazette? Because if there is, I'm giving you a point.
Speaker 3: Is there a Kansas City Gazette? Explore the Kansas City Gazette, online newspaper archive.
Speaker 1: It exists.
Speaker 2: We're giving it to him, all right, Jackie, just look this up and there is a Kansas City Gazette, So you're both getting a huge point. Allison is undefeated so far, four for four, unbelievable. Question number five, The Whalers were the main backup band for what? Singer slash musician Alana.
Speaker 1: No, question, gotta be Moby Dick.
Speaker 2: Moby Dick.
Speaker 1: That's an easy one there, there she blows. And if it's not, that's a shame.
Speaker 2: Moby Dick and the Whalers. It totally makes sense. Alison Rich, do you agree with that.
Speaker 4: I put Alain and Johnston.
Speaker 2: Oh, one of you is incorrect. The other one of you is also incorrect, so you're both incorrect. The person I was going for is Bob Marley. Bob Marley and the Whalers. Come on.
Speaker 4: Never would have known that we gotta watch one love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but for the rest of your lives, you'll know that Bob Marley's backup band was the Whalers. For number five, all right. Question number six, T and Doe were the leaders of this CULTO two worded cult that committed mass suicide in nineteen ninety seven as the hail Bop Comet Swung by Earth, Alison, what did you put for number six?
Speaker 4: I put Alana Johnston's cult. I'm really mad at myself for not because I know I watch fucking true crime shit, so I should. I'm like, it's gonna kill me when you tell me that it's not a Lanna Nounson's cult. But that's what I put down.
Speaker 2: The cult of Alana Johnston is a well.
Speaker 1: Sadly still waiting for people to get on the Patreon. It is hard to run a cult with no income, but you run the cult to get income, right, then your followers pay you. This is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Right, Atlanta, did you come up with an answer for number six?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Ray me faugh, Oh my god, thank you. See, we will buy your facts and what have you. I'm in my opinion, I have most of these right.
Speaker 2: Your brain is working better than most human beings.
Speaker 1: This is what I'm saying. People, and people that aren't already thinking of this.
Speaker 2: Missed opportunities, tons of missed opportunities. The correct answer for number six. That cult was called Heaven's Gate. Heaven's Gate.
Speaker 1: Never call Win too that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the weird one where they're all wearing Nike shoes. For whatever reason, they're wearing the same matching outfits and they were under like purple shrouds. But they all killed themselves thinking they were going to get swooped up to the comet and all that stuff. Maybe they did. We'll never know you me Da Question number seven. Liza Cologne, Zias, Abby Elliott and Io ed Abiri are three of the ladies you'll see on What Hit FX on Hulu show Aliana, the Bear, the bear, Allison, what did you put the bear? The bear and the bear? It is the bear for number seven? And finally, question great, how do you say thank you in Japanese? Allison?
Speaker 4: I know this is wrong, fine, but kaknichiwa great guess.
Speaker 2: I put this name knichiwa and kanichiwa. Those are great guesses. The correct answer is arigato. Arigato is thank you arigato in Japanese. Oh all right, uh, Jackie. After that general knowledge round, where do we stand? What's the score after one?
Speaker 3: Well, Mike, I absolutely love odd numbers and our score is giving me what I like. Alana has three and Allison's in the lead with five.
Speaker 2: Oooh, five to three, okay, one fantastic. Well, we have a special treat for you. It's round two. We're entering round two, which is our pop culture grab bag.
Speaker 1: Round two pop culture grab Bag.
Speaker 2: But today, since Jackie knows you too so well, she came up with this round. So this is Jackie's round in the pop culture grab Bag. I'm going to be scorekeeper, So Jackie take her away.
Speaker 3: Okay. I am so torn as to whether I should give you my original like poorly written one that's a little too hard, or some of the ones that have been rewritten like to be a little better to understand by Mike, And I think that I'm going to give you those, except for one which I think you could maybe get that's a little wading one.
Speaker 4: Or two of the crazy hard ones for a laugh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and these are all my questions.
Speaker 3: They just some of them have been reworded so that you understand what the question actually is. So we're starting out with number one. Two thousand and eight Olympic gold medalist Nastia Lucan makes a cameo appearance in the two thousand and six movie stick It, which is about a bad girl who, after a run in with the law has to return to the world of what sport that she fled years earlier? So what sports stick it all about?
Speaker 2: That's what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: And if you haven't seen the movie, have yourself a blast from the past. Here we go with number two. What a literative director? Was the director and or cinematographer for all the Magic Mic movies?
Speaker 2: So first initial same as the last initial. Correct?
Speaker 3: A literative?
Speaker 2: Yes, a literative. These are great questions, Jackie, you're.
Speaker 3: Good questions Taylor made for your personal interests. Okay, here's the one that I want to give you the hard version of. In Miss Congeniality, what is Cheryl from Rhode Island's idea of a perfect date? And if this sounds like an insane question, give me a weird face and I'll read you my version. I'm gonna give you my ex version. In the film Miscongeniality, Cheryl from Rhode Island's idea of a perfect date is the twenty fifth of what month? Because quote, it's not too hot, not too cold. All you need is a light jacket.
Speaker 4: So the question is what month?
Speaker 3: H the twenty fifth of what month? Is Cheryl from Rhode Island's idea of a perfect date one of my favorite jokes in any movie.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, I get okay, yeah, perfect, yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: What's your idea of a perfect date? And she says fifth date?
Speaker 2: The twenty fifth of what is?
Speaker 3: Question number four? M Night Shyamalan directed a couple indie flicks before he broke out in a major way with nineteen ninety nine's The Sixth Sense. What were his next two films that came out in two thousand and two thousand and two? Question number five. Alanis Morsett met her future fiance Ryan Reynolds. It didn't last at a birthday party for what star of the Charlie's Angels franchise?
Speaker 1: The Charlie's Angels Remake are original remake? Question number six.
Speaker 3: Get Out is the highest grossing box office hit one hundred and seventy six million dollars to premiere at what film festival?
Speaker 2: It's not the Palm Springs Film Festival.
Speaker 3: It's not the Palm Springs Short Film Festival.
Speaker 2: That's a great film festival, though it's a festival.
Speaker 3: All right. Question seven. Only eight women, sadly have been nominated for an Oscar for Best Directing. Can you name three of them. Only eight women have ever been nominated for an Oscar for Best Directing. Can you name three of them?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: This one's a very fun fact. Number eight. Before writing hit TV shows like Grey's Anatomy, How to Get Away with Murder, and Bridgerton, Shonda Rhymes penned What Movie sequels starring Ann Hathaway. So before being ABC's Like Life Source for Money, Shonda Rhymes wrote a sequel to What Movie starring Anne Hathaway.
Speaker 4: I thought you were gonna ask them out how she wrote cross Roads starring Britney Spears.
Speaker 3: Shonda can do it and has done it all? Okay, can't get no satisfaction. I mean Crossroads, seen it so many times? I love it. How do you feel? Do you need anything to be repeated?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Big swings, big swings. There we go.
Speaker 3: Okay, So now let's go over your answers. So what do you guys have for question number one? Question number one? Being nasty Lucan made a cameo in Stick It and what sport is Stick It about? I'm gonna pick Atlanta to go first.
Speaker 1: So she's field hockey.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, awesome. Allison Gymnastics, gymnastics, gymnastics is it you stick the landing?
Speaker 1: That makes sense and.
Speaker 3: Nasty Lucan is a gold medalist. If you're an Olympics head, if you're into the war of the Country.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean for me.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm more of a team person, team player, which is why field hockey was the first.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly, and we do need a female movie about field hockey.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Question number two, what a literative director was the director and orson photographer for all the Magic Mike movies, which I know Alana has seen all of them? Alison, have you seen all of them?
Speaker 4: I've seen maybe two. I think.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: I hope I can get partial points because director I picked is illiterate.
Speaker 3: But dot's see what you got. You can answer first.
Speaker 4: I put Steven Spielberg.
Speaker 3: Steven Spielberg.
Speaker 1: Okay, well that's funner than mine. I picked Martin Scorsese just to be seen.
Speaker 2: That deserves a splooshe.
Speaker 1: Alana, I don't know who did a Jackie. I just know I'm a fan.
Speaker 4: I know you're a fan.
Speaker 1: Okay, listen, you're not gonna like my m night answer.
Speaker 3: Oh, you know which ones I wrote for you?
Speaker 1: Obviously?
Speaker 3: I wrote gymnastics for Alison. She does gymnastics. Now we're here with magic Mike for Alana, the director and cinematographer Steven Soderbergh, who.
Speaker 4: Really get partial points because Steven Stephen.
Speaker 3: I know Stephen Stephen, he famously uh is the DP on most of his things that he directs. Yeah, pretty cool, wow Sam. Number three in the film Miss Congeniality, What is show from Rhode Island's idea of a perfect date? The twenty fifth of what month? Alison?
Speaker 4: I put September?
Speaker 1: Good love that may so close? April aprilh and I thought April.
Speaker 4: I thought I was tour between April and September.
Speaker 3: It's a spring of fall, all right, Jacket, of course, this is a nightmare. This is a nightmare.
Speaker 4: This is a nightmare.
Speaker 3: This is an absolute nightmare.
Speaker 1: This is hard.
Speaker 3: Question Number four m night shyamalant. What were his two films that came after the sixth sense? His two films that came out in twenty zero zero So in two thousand and in two thousand and two, I Alana, Yeah, hit.
Speaker 1: Me, yeah, I'm I could be. The problem is I don't know years of movies come out.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: So the two off the top of my head, lady in the water in the village. Okay, that was my two kisses that I can remember from seeing a long time ago. But I could be wrong, Alison, would.
Speaker 4: You good Signs and Unbreakable?
Speaker 3: Allison, it is Signs and Unbreakable.
Speaker 1: See I thought Signs came later. There you go? That makes there you go. But that makes sense because it was a banger after a bad was a flop, but right after, right after Signs, I think you had the next two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Atlanta, I think you like the village and the lady in the water right there.
Speaker 4: I almost put the villain that I remember seeing the villain like signs on the villa I saw. But I remember Unbreakable was a thing and it was supposed to be good, whereas like I think people about the village and lady and the water weren't good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I thought happened. Is I thought it would just went right to the flops. But you forget he had build momentum. He had built more momentum than that.
Speaker 3: He built an incredible momentum.
Speaker 1: Yeah he did. I'm embarrassed.
Speaker 3: You shouldn't be. Would you have known who Ryan Reynolds was? Beyonced to before Blake Lively.
Speaker 4: Yes, I know that they dated, but I could have picked out of my own brain at Alanis Morsett.
Speaker 1: I only know that because as a Canadian, what a big deal?
Speaker 3: Of course, of course I haven't a question deal.
Speaker 1: It's already their famous. They're Canadian like, it's already such a it's against all odds.
Speaker 3: Now, the question, yeah, they're both Canadian. Now the question is actually where did Alanis morset and Ryan Reynolds meet? At? Whose birthday party? It was a Charlie's Angel Alana.
Speaker 1: I'm going big, I said Cameron Diaz. I'm going big. Why not?
Speaker 4: Why not know together?
Speaker 3: Alison? Who do you got?
Speaker 4: But Drew Barrymore?
Speaker 1: Wow, that makes more sense.
Speaker 3: Apparently it does make more sense. It' Drew Brymore and I was surprised to hear it.
Speaker 4: I just feel like Drew Barrymore is a prayer of people together. Yeah, or as a party See.
Speaker 1: I looked at she is a party girl, but she kind of cleaned up her act. That's why, I said Cameron Diaz.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think it's a wild party, but I think she definitely is. She wants to be around.
Speaker 4: And I would just like assume that she would know a more random group. Yeah, no, like because she's been in Hollywood since she was like.
Speaker 1: You guys are right, There's no question about it. She's been in Hollywood a long time.
Speaker 3: Now. The question is who's gonna right about Number six? Get Out premiered at what film festival? It was the highest grossing box office hit to premiere at this film festival. What film festival was it? Alison? I put Tribeca, I put Tiff, and no one put the real answer, which is Sundance. Okay, you know I'm putting that there for you.
Speaker 4: Alison. You on the nose, you know A.
Speaker 3: Let's say Alison a Sundance girl.
Speaker 1: Gurley herself, I'm sorry, barely gives herself credit, refusing to even keep it at the forefront of her brain, of her long hair brain.
Speaker 3: Let's get Alison's long hair into the next category. Let's move it from only for question number seven, from only eight women to perhaps nine with Alison have ever been nominated for an Oscar for Best Directing? Can you name three of them? Elena, I'm coming to you, No, I cannot.
Speaker 1: This is what I wrote her Locker lady.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, lady, who did n yeahhh, and.
Speaker 1: I said that was it. Those were the ones who I got.
Speaker 3: Alison, who did you put down?
Speaker 4: Okay? Catherine Bigelow is for Locker Lady, Wow, So okay, Chloe now I think is no mad lat Land?
Speaker 3: Yes? Then Jane Campion, Yes, she did for the Piano and the Power of the Dog.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And then I put for Fun but I actually wasn't sure for Greta gir Away.
Speaker 3: Yes, Ladybird, okay.
Speaker 4: Because I know she didn't get it for Barbie, but I was like, I think she got it for Ladybird. So the I was able to name those more.
Speaker 3: And I'll tell you other the other the other girls who are on the list, because the list ain't long unfortunately, Lena vert Mueller, I'm gonna say that's how you say it for seven Beauties, Sophia Coppola for Lost in Translation. Of course we already said those. Emerald Finel for Promising Young Woman, Oh right, and.
Speaker 4: Justine tried try It or what's that thing this year?
Speaker 3: For Anatomy of a Fall? Yes, number eight, number eight, And and then I'm gonna come to you first again before writing hit TV shows like Raised Anatomi with everything that I love you know how to get with murder? All that Shonda Rhimes? What movie did she write the sequel to? What movie? Starring again Hathaway? Devil Words, Brana Okay, fun fun fun guess.
Speaker 1: Not on the timeline, but fun guess A fun guess.
Speaker 3: I like it, Alison, Princess Diarnes like the sequel to it. It is Princess Diary's too royal engagement. Can you believe?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: So after a fucked up round, uh fucked up because of me and my writing of it. We actually it's a cool it's actually a cool it's a cool score. It's a cool score. We've got Atlanta with four and we've got Allison with ten, and the game is still well up in the air, could go anywhere.
Speaker 2: Anyone's game ten to four. At halftime, we're here with Alana Johnston. She's playing for Oxfam and you can follow her at the Only Alana Johnston on Instagram. And then we're here with Alison Rich you can follow her on social media at Alison Rich one two three on Instagram. She's playing for Big Brothers and Big Sisters.
Speaker 4: And if I win, I want you to take money from Oxfam.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, that's the game.
Speaker 2: Show them, Show them whose boss, Show them whose boss. It is ten to four, Good buddy. At halftime, as we enter the infamous Lightning.
Speaker 4: Round Round three, the Lightning.
Speaker 2: Round, Alana, you're trailing, so you can go first and picking your Lightning Round question today. You could pick any of these. These are my favorite Star Wars some of my favorite Star Wars characters. It has nothing to do with the question or the answers, but you could choose either Yoda, Chewbaca, or R two D two name your poison. What are you choosing for the Lightning round?
Speaker 1: Gonna go to the spontaneous answer to Baca.
Speaker 2: Yes, hell to the yes. So I'm gonna say the question twice. I'm gonna say go, I'm gonna hit the button on my phone.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have twenty seconds to give me as many answers as possible. Alison writes some answers down because I'm gonna come straight to you with your five second rebuttal as soon as Alana's twenty seconds are up. So here's your Chewbacca Lightning Round question. I want to know the top nine most visited US states. These are the US states that are visited by the most people every year. I think this was from twenty twenty four or twenty twenty three. I should say Top nine most visited US States twenty seconds on the clock and a.
Speaker 1: Goo, Los Angeles, New York, Chicago State, Colorado. Oh sorry sorry, Oh yeah, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 5: Okay, Caliburnia, New York, Texas, Washington.
Speaker 2: Stop. You got three? You got three of the top five you got yeah, you got California's number one, We're number one. Number four was Texas and number five was Neuva. York. New York was number five. All right, great job, you got three. There's still some on the board, Alison, your chance to steal some answers. Top nine most visited US States five seconds and go.
Speaker 4: Florida, Pennsylvania, Illinois, and I'll just say Colorado stop.
Speaker 2: Stop, you stoled Sonny Fla. Florida was number two on the list. Some of these are surprising, but some of these are like, oh, that makes sense. Number three was Nevada because of Vegas, I would presume not everyone goes to. Number six was Virginia. Virginia Virginia's for lovers and I guess tourists. Number six on the list South Carolina was number seven, again cool cool Town's there, Charleston and whatnot? Number eight Arizona. I think all the snowbirds that need some yeah, need a respite from the shitty winters in the north.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: And then number nine a little surprising, but a great state, Georgia. Georgia was number nine.
Speaker 4: Atlanta and Atlanta, Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Was, I was thinking maybe Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Many of these places. I'm mortified you got three.
Speaker 2: You did great in the Chewbacca Lightning Round. But now it's Allison's turn in the barrel. You could choose either Yoda or R two D two for your lightning Round question. Yoda, all right, so R two D two Uh, different question. I'll just go in the hopper for a future game. So here is your Yoda a lightning round question. I'll say it twice. Say go. You have twenty seconds to say as many answers as possible. Alana, write some answers down because I'm coming straight to you with your five second rebuttal as soon as Allison's twenty seconds are up, here is your Yoda lightning round question. Along with Ron Howard as the narrator, can you name the other nine characters? That were in all eighty four episodes of Arrested Development. I need the character names from Arrested Development. So, along with Ron Howard as the narrator, there were nine characters that were in all eighty four episodes of that wonderful show Arrested Development. Twenty seconds on the clock and.
Speaker 4: Go, George Michael, Joe Blues, Buster Blues, Lindsey Blues, the Mom, maybe Sunky, Tobias, Punky uh. Who else was on that show? The dad like George Michael Sr. You know, Jeffrey.
Speaker 2: Tamop Stop stop you crushed. You did great. You got Lindsey Job, George Michael, maybe Buster, Tobias, and George Sr. You got seven of the nine. There's still a couple on on the board again for the Yoda question for Alana, for your five second rebutt, along with Ron Howard as the narrator, named the other nine characters that were in all eighty four episodes of Arrested Development. Five seconds and a go.
Speaker 1: Because he's a master of disguise, Jean Parmesan, we might not have even known.
Speaker 2: You're getting a point just for saying.
Speaker 1: Jeans Yeah, I mean just saying could have been there the whole time.
Speaker 2: Guys, that is the greatest.
Speaker 4: Full time.
Speaker 2: That answer deserves a huzzah. He is the greatest. So you're getting a point for Jean Parmesan.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: The ones we didn't get to. I don't think anyone just said Jason Bateman's character of Michael just Michael, because he's just Michael.
Speaker 1: Oh my damn, he was on my list. I thought she said him first, she.
Speaker 2: Said George Michael, and then she said George Michael Sr. Or George.
Speaker 1: I thought when George Michael and Michael and then George Michael Senior came later, Okay, I must be. I must have just been writing it down and then thought she said it.
Speaker 2: It's okay. And then you said mom's name, Allison, but I couldn't give it to Your name is Lucille blue l there's Lucille too.
Speaker 1: You did she got the characters?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, great job in the Yodia Kilda Allison combined. You crushed that.
Speaker 4: I think it's just the characters are so good and you can like think of that.
Speaker 2: All right, So, Jackie, what is our scoreboard update after the lightning round?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I like the score right now because visually it's appealing it's coordinating, kind of like Destiny's Child, not exactly matching, but in like the same realm, same outfit. We've got Alana with eight, and we've got Alison with eighteen.
Speaker 2: I love zas eighteen to eight.
Speaker 1: I'm like a slimmer version of Allison.
Speaker 2: Really exactly, it is eighteen to eight after three as we head into our fourth and final round between you two lovely ladies, it is the Theodore Double Duty Radcliffe Round Round four, The Double Duty. We call it the Double Duty because points are doubled and there are nine questions instead of eight, so there are eighteen very large points up for grabs today. In the Double Duty, we have one of our fan favorites. It is a theme round, So let me explain the theme round to people that are just joining us. The first eight of nine questions will seemingly be general knowledge question questions, and question number nine will be what is the theme? The theme lies within your answers to those first eight general knowledge sounding questions, So the more questions you get right in those first eight, the better chance you have of coming up with what the hell was Mike thinking when he came up with this round. It's a very fun Theme Round. I think, so here we go question one of nine in your Theme Round in the Double Duty. Question number one, what rock band had albums titled Appetite for Destruction, Lies and their double album or double volume album Use Your Illusion one and two?
Speaker 3: Use Your Illusion?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Use Your Illusion Volumes one and two. But their debut album was huge in like late eighties, Appetite for Destruction. Then they had a second album, Lies, and then they had a double album called Use Your Illusion one and two? Can you name that rock band? For question number one? And if you don't know it now, if you figure out the theme later on, you can come back and see if you can. It'll help. If you figure out the theme, it'll help your answers. And if you get your answers, it'll help figure out the theme. Okay. Question number two, how many March Sisters were in Little Women? Or how many members were in the band the Monkeys. I need a number for question number two? How many March Sisters were there in Little Women? Or how many members were there in the great band they made up for the TV showed the Monkeys that put out so much great music that was wait, what do you mean? Same number? The Monkeys were kind of a band that was just created by people they didn't like form, you know, as kids or anything. We're ready for question number three. Question three goes like this. In the board game Clue, there is miss Scarlet, missus Peacock, and what other female character? The other female character in the game of Clue, you have Miss Scarlet, Missus Peacock, and what other female character. All right, are we ready for question four?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: All right? Here? Question four is what letter vitamin are? These vitamins thiamin, riboflavin, and nyasin are known as what letter vitamins. They're the what vitamins? So what letter are represented by these vitamins thiamin, riboflavin, and nyasin.
Speaker 3: And when you hear them like that, you're like, oh my god, I can't believe finds in my body.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When you look on the back of a you know, a cereal box of what's in your cereal or on a multi vitamin, and you'll see these in there. But what letter am I looking for? For question number four? What letter vitamin are thiamine or thiamin?
Speaker 4: It's a single letter or it's a letter, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just one one letter vitamin.
Speaker 3: What my belt fly?
Speaker 2: All right? Question number five of nine. We're in the double duty Radcliff round. This is a theme round. What large campus and museum opened back in nineteen ninety seven and overlooks the four H five freeway and the rest of Los anglees For question number five? What large campus and museum beautiful place open back in nineteen ninety seven and overlooks the four H five freeway and the rest of Los Angles. Name that museum and campus and gardens? What is that place called? For number five? All right? Question number six I think is pretty tough because this show hasn't come back yet. It's been off the air for like years in between seasons. But question number six goes like this, What is Zendia's character's first name in the TV show Euphoria? What does she go by? Zendia that great show you for you? What is her character's name on that TV show on HBO or Max? For number six? Okay, got a couple more general knowledge sounding questions. Help you figure this theme out? Here we go Question number seven of nine. Gloria, Estefan, two Live Crew and Pitbull all hail from what city? What US city are all these people from? Gloria Estefan two Live Crew and Pitbull name the city for number seven? All right, question number eight, This is your final general knowledge question in your theme round. Here for question number eight, what character from a streetcar named Desire says, whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers? What character from streetcar says that line, whoever you are? I have always depended on the kindness of strangers? For number eight? And then question nine is what in the hell is the theme of this round? Look within your answers. I'm gonna give you plenty of time to think this over. So, yeah, we had the rock band. I gave you number two. Clue for number three the other female character? What vitamins are those weird vitamins? What museum looks overlooks the four or five? Zendiaz or Zendias? How do you say her name? Bela Zendia? Are you too ready?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Ed, Let's give this a go. All right, here we go, pencils down, Let's go over our answers for a very pivotal final round between you two. It's the double DoD Radcliffe round. It was a theme round today. Question number one, what rock band had albums titled Appetite for Destruction, Lies and their famous double album that contained November Rain, amongst others. Use your Illusion one and two? Uh Ms Johnston, what did you put for number one? Guns n' Roses, g n R Guns and Roses? Allison? What did you put?
Speaker 4: As you reread the question, I was like, wait, it's the one with Axel Rose. But I, sadly at the time, put ac.
Speaker 2: DC, ac DC. You're being very honest, Allison, Guns n' Roses and a c DC. The answer is guns and Roses, two big points. That was a big sway nailed it. You went with you.
Speaker 1: I just tried to. I just tried to think about the popular at the time, you know what I mean, because I was like, I don't know who was Yeah, I don't know, yeah, Welcome to the Jungle, uh yeah yeah. Thing that got me because I had also thought ac DC, but it was the illusion part that the album. I was like, I don't know about that part.
Speaker 2: You killed it. Question number two, how many March sisters were in Little Women or how many members were in the band The Monkeys Alison? Four four Alana? What did you put?
Speaker 1: Four?
Speaker 2: Four and four? Four by four? It is four in fact two for two for Alana, which is very important. Question number three in the board game Clue, there is miss Scarlett, Missus Peacock, and what other female character Alana, the maid, the maid? Alison, do you agree with that?
Speaker 4: I did put the maid, but I think that's wrong.
Speaker 2: But that's what I put, the maid the one we're thinking of that Madeline conplayed we had Colonel Mustard and Professor Plumb and mister Green. I think we're missing Missus White. Missus white is another color. Missus White for number three, no harm, no foul. Question number four, what letter vitamin are thiamine or thiamine, riboflavin and nyasin? Alison, K K vitamin k uh Alana, what did you put B, B, k oh D is a dog? Yeah, we have K and D. The correct answer. Those are your B vitamins. Those are I can't be twelve.
Speaker 1: And then you were like, oh, it's just a letter, and I was like, oh, then it can't be B because I only be twelve.
Speaker 2: Now there's B three and B six and B twelve those are those B and that was.
Speaker 1: An honest moment. I'm being honest, like Allison, I'm taking a page out of her book. I'm being honest.
Speaker 2: You guys are the two most honest contestants.
Speaker 1: It's so hard to be honest. When you thought of it already, you were like, no, I literally that was the answer I had almost the entire time because you're like, yeah, that made sense. And then in the last second I doubted myself.
Speaker 2: Don't overthink it. Go with your gun. You did it with guns n' roses, but you thought too much about the vitamin ones. It's okay, we still have more to go. Question number five Campus and Museum open back in ninety seven and overlooks the four h five Freeway and the rest of La Alana. The Getty the Getty Center, Allison, what did you put? We got the Getty and the Getty It is the Getty Center. For number five? Question number six, what is Zendia's character's name and the TV show Euphoria? Euphoria Allison Rue Rue Alana? What did you put Melissa Constance? The correct answer is Rue. Her name is Rue Bennett.
Speaker 1: For number six, where are we fact checking all this stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Are you guys making this?
Speaker 1: Melissa?
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 1: I tried to think of the lowest regular name. I could no offense the Melissa's out there, but I was like, yeah, Melissa gotta be goular.
Speaker 2: She goes by mel on the show, but it's short form.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go, standard name. Yeah, we're good.
Speaker 2: All right. Question number seven, Gloria Estefan, two Live Crew and Pitbull all hail from what city? Aj What do you got?
Speaker 1: Hard to answer because he is so international, but I'm going to go ahead and say, Miami.
Speaker 2: Ah truth bomb. Allison, what did you put.
Speaker 4: To pronounce it Miami? So I did at the points there for pronunciation.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Miami. That was absolutely yep, yep. It is Miami, Florida. Miami is the city I was looking for for number seven. And then your final kind of general knowledge question in the theme round, question of bray, what character from a street car named Desire says, whoever you are, I've always depended on the kindness of strangers.
Speaker 4: Allison, Lanche Dubois.
Speaker 2: Blanche Dubois Atlanta. What did you put Stella Stella the correct.
Speaker 3: Answer that would be one of the other, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Stella or Blanche coin flip. It is Blanche Dubois, Blanche Dubois. And finally, question number nine, what in the heck is the theme of this double duty Redcliff round, Alana. I am so excited to hear what you came up with for this theme.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're gonna love it. Ship up, letters and.
Speaker 2: Numbers, excellent, excellent. Guess Allison, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I couldn't make kenser tales of it, so I said, sauces.
Speaker 2: Sauces, sauces, and letters and numbers. I'm going to hold your booze or applause. I'm going to go through what I was thinking of when I go through these answers. We had Rose four White as in Betty White, b as in b Arthur A. Stelle, Getty Rum Klenahan, Miami, and Blanche. We're talking about the Golden Girls. It's all about the Golden Girls, was the theme.
Speaker 1: Well, that's impossible to know, absolutely that was.
Speaker 2: It's one of those shows that at the time I was like a young dude, so I was like, this is not my show. It's about four older women. It's fucking incredible, Like from the jump from season one, the jokes, the way they talk shit to each other is the best shit talk on any sitcom ever, I think.
Speaker 1: Because then we also a first Wives Club move went, wait, old women can talk.
Speaker 2: Jackie. After that double duty round, what are our final scores between these two?
Speaker 3: I think we all had a really good time here, and I think we all had a really special time when we had like coordinated scores. I think we liked the and it actually goes along with Alison's charity. We liked the big sister, little sister vibe. So we've got we've got Alana as the little sister with nineteen points, and we've got Alison the big sister with twenty nine. And so we will be giving to big sisters, little sisters, big brothers, little brothers.
Speaker 2: What is it called? You just made up your own charity big gets, other brothers, big sisters, big.
Speaker 3: Brothers, big sisters. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: There you go, once again, as always, ten pounds lighter than my competitor. What else is new?
Speaker 4: And how much are you taking from Oxfam?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna take tens of twenties of dollars at least.
Speaker 1: Well, if Allison's score was twenty nine and mine was nineteen, you should be taking at least nineteen hundred dollars away.
Speaker 3: See I thought you were going to say ten, but yeah, nineteen hundred. That makes sense.
Speaker 2: I will be venmo requesting ox fan for.
Speaker 1: Nineteen hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with a bunch of egg plan emojis and whatnot. Wink wink. But Alison Rich, you are the smartest person in the world. For one week, We're happy to make a donation in your name to Big Brothers and Big Sisters. Folks, you can watch Alison. Check out her sundance short it's called Pathological. You can follow her on social media the Alison Rich one two three on Instagram and Alana Banana Johnston. That's how I remember to how to say her name correctly. Goddamn it, Mike. You can follow her on social media at the Only Alana Johnston on Instagram. We're happy to make a donation in her name to OXFAM. Look at for her live shows and her music videos for Self Esteem Party. You can find all that stuff on YouTube and Instagram. Ladies, it was a real pleasure. But the game is not over. It's time for Jackie to jump back into the fray with our final throwdown. The Final Throwdown.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, this is such a fun fact that I act actually learned on the back of a Snapple cap in high school. And I never forgot it, and I never forgot it.
Speaker 2: Maybe Snapple will underwrite our show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: Penguins have a gland behind their eyes.
Speaker 1: That does what.
Speaker 2: Jesus to water?
Speaker 3: That does what to water? How about that? That is what to water? Penguins have a gland behind their eyes that does what to water?
Speaker 4: One of the things you can do to water.
Speaker 1: You can freeze it, you can heat it, you can block it.
Speaker 4: My genuine answer is heat it up. When she first said gland, I was like, calm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I thought heated up too. That is also my answer. Well, both that calm and heat it up because that way their eyes don't freeze like glaze over.
Speaker 2: That's wonderful. Yeah, heat it up. I was thinking maybe something like it takes the salt out of the water or something so they could drink it since they're in salt water.
Speaker 3: You know what, Mike, You're right, they it desalinates water.
Speaker 1: Is that so cool?
Speaker 2: That's crazy?
Speaker 3: So that exists in Actually other seabirds too, and goals, albatrosses and pelicans all have built in desalination filters so that they can drink sea water. Snapple taught me about the penguin one, and then when I looked it up, it told me about the other birds. And then doesn't it really like chs.
Speaker 1: That's like a really intense fact. I'm really impressed by that.
Speaker 3: The Snapple cap facts were awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm into that. That's a that's a good one. That's cool, and that makes so much sense, of course.
Speaker 3: And doesn't it make you feel like, I think about the future when we ultimate a lot of fresh water evolve, that's a good that's a good way to think about. I'm more like, you know, science, like let's figure out how, like how are they doing it, Let's do it well.
Speaker 2: I think that's I think they I've been kind of thinking about that forever because like every year there's like fires and there's drought and there's floods and stuff, and I'm like, the way we can move fresh water around is going to be a huge thing that we have to figure out. And part of that is desalinating the ocean water. And some countries already do a lot of it, but like I think we're slow on it because it's expensive. But it's like we have the hugest body of water like right there, and it's like we need to figure out how we can take the salt out of that water and make it palatable for whatever. We could use it for sewage or drinking water, whatever, irrigation, but like we need, we're not supposed to be.
Speaker 1: You can because I was stole when You're said, gurgle with saltwater, and I just with it.
Speaker 2: Like did you did your parents? For real? If you like broke your arm or had anything was like salt water. Gargle with saltwater. I had to do for like my mom.
Speaker 1: Loved forcing me to gurgle with salt water.
Speaker 2: About any So true, Jackie. That was a great final throwdown, ladies. I'm so glad we could figure this out and do this. It was a pleasure to hang out with you this whole time. I wish you, We wish you nothing but the best for the rest of twenty twenty four and see you around town soon.
Speaker 1: You know what. I'm mortified by my answers. Been boy, did I have a boss? Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: There were great answers.
Speaker 4: I'm proud of my answers, and I had a fine time.
Speaker 1: See you next week for another episode of You Should Know Better.
Speaker 2: Want to help out the podcast. Please subscribe to You Should Know Better. Wherever you listen to podcasts, rate our show and write a review if you can. It really helps get the word out to the Massons. We thank you, and for some daily trivia action, check us out on TikTok and Instagram. Until next week, take care of yourselves and each other. We're all in this together. And then the immortal words of Harry carry so long body. You should Know Better as produced by Jackie Gonzalez de Ruthie and myself Mike C. Nelson, edited by Nick Wright. All music created by mister Kevin Shema, voice over talent Natalia Castelianos, and graphic design by Jason Caldera and Calderico