Speaker 1: Breaking down all they says, and ohs. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rovera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera, you're Dave Silbert. We got Ray and thankfully Chris has left the building. They don't know Chris is, yeah, they kind of. He was on the show one day and he's like ruined the whole show. I either recover from two years of traumatize.
Speaker 3: They know the name for sure, because oh no, it's just he always comes in and finds someone to talk about this.
Speaker 4: It's a good time, though.
Speaker 2: Get us away from this. Take me away, Calgan. You don't even know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: I don't. Sorry, are you doing breaking news? And we're just gonna add lib this. I think he's gonna were you were? You don't have a lot, okay, yeah, just go through it, you know, it's just there's a lot of stuff talk all right, We'll find some stuff.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball, Breaking News on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of coachings being signed right now.
Speaker 4: Coaches from Yes, Yes, well signed extended.
Speaker 3: The gymnastics coach John Court was extended through twenty twenty eight. That happened today right before or around two o'clock, and then the women's tennis coach Ryan Scotland was also extended through twenty twenty eight as well, making him the second coach again. An extension this week that was yesterday kind of makes you wonder about Kaitlyn Low a little bit.
Speaker 4: Well, if she's done next, I was gonna say she's gotta be next. It seems like it's been extension week with Chip and the ones you just mentioned. So, yeah, it's a slow summer. Yeah, no rush, Yeah, that's true. There is no rush. There's no one around the U of A too. It's kind of fun driving around there like a ghost town. When when I worked there was always fun. In the summary, do it anyway? Do you park anywhere?
Speaker 2: Because we have a lot of time here. You've been into town a long time, and I'll mention this to you. Do you notice a lot of invisible drivers? You know there are a lot of invisible cars. Have I explained this to before? Next time you're at a stop sign or light and you want to turn right or whatever, and you see a car that's staying there for longer than needs to be because you can turn right and right, no cars coming the other way, right, no cars coming the other way.
Speaker 4: Those are the invisible cars, because.
Speaker 2: This car is waiting for something to happen. But he sees or she sees an invisible car coming. Yeah, what the hell are they looking at? There's a bunch of them. They're more apparent in the winter buds. Yeah, because those people are not here this time of year.
Speaker 4: No, no, but.
Speaker 2: Yesterday there was one and I finally said, okay, honked and she waved and says, well, you can still go. It's thread, but you can still go. There was nobody coming. I said, this is a visible cars are still here. Eventually years guess what I want to start seeing invisible cars?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no.
Speaker 3: And then there's the people that, uh don't see the red lights either.
Speaker 4: So that's true. That's another that's another problem.
Speaker 3: Given a go And obviously, the big news of today is that Carter Brian got picked fourteenth overall by the Spurs that in last night's first round of the NBA Draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna try to reach out to Sean. Let's just see what he says to say, no yet.
Speaker 4: I've got so I pulled up the let me, let me give you our fourteen number. Fourteen All Star Team kicks. Okay, guys who picked fourteenth, because you know, you go Carter on fourteenth, that's it. But thank of some other guys who were picked fourteenth in the first round. It's a pretty good little All Star team. Clyde Drexler nineteen eighty three. Clyde the Glyde played fifteen seasons, of course for Houston and then you know, great great career with Portland and Houston to Hardaway, known for his killer crossover. Five time All Star, five Texas Pass Bay selection. That's right, Utep played against Arizona, I believe in the eighty six tournament pages. Soyakovic, great shooter for the Sacramento Kings in the mid nineties. Dan Marley thunder dan fourteenth pick out of I want to say was Central Michigan. Correct, right, So he played two time All Defensive Player, three time All Stars. Sun just finished his time at restaurant owners. I think is Marley still up there? And I don't know. I don't think so. I had a number of restaurants right right by the Stadium and then some others smart idea. Going even further back, Casey Jones, longtime Boston Celtic, was picked by out of the University of San Francisco. Played with Bill Russell in college Hall of Famer, and then Hal Greer who played for the Sixers. Do you remember that name? He played with Wilt the seventy six ers, like in the late sixties, sixties. Ok, So, I mean there's some pretty good people. So he's in pretty good cover. And then you think about there as Michael Porter Junior recently Arizona. Oh, Michael Michael Dickerson. Right, so there's been some players at fourteen, so it's not you're not doomed. No, still a lottery point, still the very last pick of the lottery. So he's gonna always say he's a lottery pick. But I assume that'll get him something in McHale. You know, well, he has to.
Speaker 2: Finish ten years. Ten years, he won't he's not qualifying. Of all the people that are on qualify, he's not one of them because he wasn't Freshman of the Year, he wasn't this or that, And now he has to be ten years in the NBA, like like our first one and done.
Speaker 4: Guy, not one and dyne guy, but Joe Bayliss and make a tenue he didn't make Yeah yeah, okay, yeah, okay did so so today I'm referenced to hail Mary David.
Speaker 2: Back in our day, there was a guy for Dallas that had a Hail Mary.
Speaker 4: Who was it? Who threw it? No, who cut it? Drew Pearson? Drew Pearson.
Speaker 2: Yeah so I say, because he wore an eighty eight shirt the other day and Michael No, no, no, we talked about Michael.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was it was a del Earn Hard junior shirt.
Speaker 2: But it was a Dallas Colors. That's why I got a confused eighty eight. Okay, oh wait that was was.
Speaker 4: That his car number?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I guess I would have to soon. I don't know. I don't watch Nascar. I just thought it was sure about it who he is, but yeah, so sure.
Speaker 2: The hill Mary was kind of like a I don't know if it was a fake one or a real one. There was a non call on the on the push. Yeah, the fantom push.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I haven't Yeah, I was gonna do that. Yeah, do that. You'll see given it going though.
Speaker 3: Arizona is one of six schools to have a first round pick in the NFL and NBA draft one yeah, and has a potential has a chance to be the only school with a first round pick in the NFL, NBA and MLB draft because of Brandon summer Hill.
Speaker 4: Right, isn't that coming soon? Yes? July thirteenth is when it starts. Okay, yeah, but not in the NHL draft. I don't think tomorrow. What I remember.
Speaker 2: That's the stuff that keeps the logo alive because you start seeing the logo oh wow.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, keep some relevant for sure. Diamondbacks lost yesterday to the White Sox, but took the series. Have the Marlins coming up tomorrow, and you know there are.
Speaker 4: Only three games back in that West, that that racing. No, there's three games back in the wild card.
Speaker 3: Maybe because three games back in the yeah of the wild card, keeping it going though.
Speaker 4: Ravens kicker Justin Tucker is in trouble. Oh you got a call? Okay, cool? Hello, you're on the air. Nine on the ball. Who's this Rick?
Speaker 6: Anybody?
Speaker 7: How you doing?
Speaker 8: Rick?
Speaker 4: You're alive? Could you hear your voice?
Speaker 7: Well, it's good to be heard from Thank you, heyday. You know I was thinking when you're talking about NBA, I have when Sean Elliott was a senior and graduating in the spring of it would have been I guess ninety. Yes, I had a display over. We had a furniture patio furniture business at the time and our home base was San Antonio, so he and Anthony Cook were there and sew and Sean signed right over San Antonio. A little bit of useless memories for me. But what I was really thinking about was I was watching t J McConnell, and you talk about a young man that probably I don't know where he went in the draft, but yeah, I mean he he is one of the examples where you work your tail off, you show up, you put up your disciplined, respectful, and you know what, he really shined and made Arizona look good. And uh, I have to say it was really nice to see him perform the way he did, particularly in the playoffs. And I think Arizona has a lot to be proud of because we have a lot of those blue collar guys, you know, the Bruce Ki's, uh, you know that just show up and they do their job and they represent Arizona. And I think that we all ought to just kip our hats and say thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I agree with you.
Speaker 2: Thanks Rick, leave it there, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: No, obviously, it was great publicity for the U of A to have Mathn and TJ playing so well, and you know doesn't hurt you know their name mentioned. Oh they were you know, went to the same university and it was good. Yeah. And he was not drafted, as you said, you just signed with Philadelphia as a free agent and look what happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind of speaking about like the undrafted just because you know, we know that it's a potential with love with Caleb Love. Yeah, just like looked up some like of the best recent like undrafted players and I didn't man, I didn't know if Fred van Vliet was undrafted. I didn't realize Alex Caruso had been undrafted, you, Donnis Haslam.
Speaker 4: I mean, just interesting stuff. You know, it's it's a tough league.
Speaker 2: It's a tough league, and if you can play, they'll find you and they'll sign you and you'll you know, have a good career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's yeah, it's gonna be interesting. I'm I'm excited.
Speaker 3: I probably won't you know, I'll keep up with it. It's one of those things where it's like you will, you know, because it's like it's the same thing with the draft. It's like you don't really need to like the NFL draft, but he just you know, if you just just like check your phone everything, maybe half hour.
Speaker 4: Well even tonight, who's gonna who's gonna?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 4: I mean, really, in all honesty, do you even know who some of these guys are when you get into the second round? Barely? I mean, you know, there were a lot of guys last night that I don't remember. I just you know, we watched it all the time. Right, But oh, the Son's just traded their number fifty two and fifty nine picks to get the Warriors forty first tonight. That kind of news is popping every all afternoon. So they're gonna have one more pick. The sun is picking up the Duke Center yesterday, right, So yeah, and they they traded away that their later pick. You think they're twenty ninth pickers? Sure they have some rebuilding to do. Yeah, slightly, what happens? Okay? Anything else? I have something that's what? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, I was telling Dave jam DeLaura. I didn't realize it until today. He's coming to play here this weekend. Yeah, against the Sugar Schools, against the Sugar Schools. I really realize he's with the Las Vegas Indoor League.
Speaker 4: Right. How'd you know this? I saw a Spears post about it on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw I heard it on the radio. I said, well, because I was wondering where he ended up.
Speaker 4: But he's with the Las Vegas Indoor team. Wow. Yeah, coming coming kind of home for Yeah. I mean I can't keep track of what happened to him. It was unfortunately here, he's there, he's moving, he transfers, he lends in Texas State, and then it didn't work out, and then that was it. That was it. And yeah, and he recently signed. He played in the UFL according to according to AI, but that was how long that was exactly? Yeah? Well, good for him that he san Antonio Brahmas on twenty twenty four, so maybe maybe he hasn't been playing since then.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, it's probably what happened after he didn't make it at Texas State. It's not that he didn't make it to anyone in there, and he yeah, joined that team.
Speaker 4: No, it's in the indoor League. Okay, yep, anything else, Okay, let's go. We'll get ahold of Steve pot Finn from the road.
Speaker 1: Run now, right now, it's your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website. Money, that's money.
Speaker 4: Enter right now. Are you ready? Ready to discover your soul, your.
Speaker 9: Wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to.
Speaker 4: A luxurious resort. Discover all this and more.
Speaker 9: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the soul of Tucson.
Speaker 4: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco YUCKI try.
Speaker 10: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 10: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go, designs or create ding a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 4: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 10: Wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Given a call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 11: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete.
Speaker 4: Creative Awards with.
Speaker 11: Fifty two years as your top awards and promotional products supplier.
Speaker 4: Give them an award they can be proud of.
Speaker 11: They have trophies, plaques, acrylics, art class fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight Westtrackman Street, across the street from PEMA College Downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Voltpei is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, That's volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A BKO nine two nine to four two Equal housing Opportunity, how to commitment to Lyndrix, syn credit rates and available loan program or subjects to change with unt notice?
Speaker 4: Did you know?
Speaker 13: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games from rare fines to the latest releases.
Speaker 4: Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 13: Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why Collectors everywhere TRUH Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 11: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Bacall five two oh seven to four to Roh twelve thirteen, broud sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 5: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. That's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation.
Speaker 4: Y today. Why is mining so important.
Speaker 8: It's the foundation of everything that defines a society.
Speaker 4: Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why.
Speaker 8: Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the minerals ape the process. That's why mining is so important.
Speaker 4: Goybm dot com.
Speaker 10: Looking for quality windows without the weight, Come to the Window Depot. We carry a huge selection of mill guard windows in stock now and ready for pickup. Needs something custom no problem, from new construction to full home replacement. Will help you order the perfect mill guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor, the Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the Window Deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your mill guard window experts.
Speaker 1: This is Eye on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Want to take part in the show Call up Steve now went five to two oh four one seventy.
Speaker 2: Hey welcome, that's why them all here Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, you're Dave Silvert. You got Ray behind the scene here and now we have coach Steve poppin from the roadrunners.
Speaker 14: Are you doing, coach, I'm doing well. Excited to be talking hockey. I'll tell you that I was gonna.
Speaker 4: Say, tomorrow's a big day for you guys, or is it?
Speaker 6: Oh, it's a huge day.
Speaker 14: You know that the draft is everything, right, It's the foundation of everything we do.
Speaker 6: It's where we find the next wave of talent.
Speaker 14: Everybody's looking for that one piece, right and you look at a lot of times those pieces turned into real serviceable assets or tradeable assets that you know eventually help you win the Stanley Cup. So tomorrow's a big day. We're all looking forward to it.
Speaker 4: How many of those players who picked you know here in this this draft will maybe wind up here in Tucson, do you think.
Speaker 14: Well, you know what, I think there's going to be a real strong showing Listen. We want to set the standard for development in the American Hockey League. So I think the way that the team is being shaped up top, you know they're they're pushing to to really make a playoff run here.
Speaker 6: And when your team is deeper, while your your prospects.
Speaker 14: Are going to spend a little bit of time in the American Hockey League, you know, trying to evolve their talent and expand on on their skill, and so I suspect that.
Speaker 6: A lot will join the road Runners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what this may be a dumb question, what impact do you have with the draft? I know you're having a party here tomorrow for viewing, but what's your role.
Speaker 4: In all of this?
Speaker 14: Well, my role in all this is is, uh, you know what, I'm going to watch and let the scouts and the management group do their job. Uh, they prepare all season long, they watch all the players, all the kids. I think they have a real strong understanding of what winning hockey looks like. And so we put our trust in the scouts and listen, they're they're involved knee deep in some some pretty good meetings right now trying to figure out which which kids are going to be part of our organization.
Speaker 4: So real quick, Dave, just to follow up on that one.
Speaker 2: Uh, So they're the they're the they go, they go buy the groceries, and you're the chef at this level.
Speaker 6: I like it. That's good. That's good.
Speaker 15: I like it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, listen, we we you know, we we just saw Josh don and and Kessel Ring. You know, those are two players that grew in our organization in UH in Tucson first and then they evolved and we're able to be contributing players at the NHL level.
Speaker 6: But you know, we're proud that we drafted a player like.
Speaker 14: Josh and he was able to to grow within our environment. So it's it's we're real proud of that, and you know, we want to want that growth to continue. As I said earlier, we want to try to really set the standard of what development and growth looks like at the American Hockeyhive levels. Uh, it requires the draft first, and that requires a pretty good plan and uh, you know, making sure we follow through our process.
Speaker 4: Are most of the players still coming out of the juniors in Canada still? I mean, it looks like that seems to be the case. There's a few n C Double A guys listed among the possibilities in the first round, but are most is the cream of the crops still still up there? I think it's got to go.
Speaker 14: There's a good mix now, you know, the n C Double A is obviously done well in recent past, and you know, I think there's going to be a little bit of a restructuring.
Speaker 6: I think they're you know, the players.
Speaker 14: Are are going to come from Canada, of course, but you and see how how deep the US is becoming and how well they're developing their young talents. It's going to be a pretty good mix of both at this point.
Speaker 2: Do you so next week are you gonna have the party tomorrow to the viewing and then right away next week you start to develop and stuff?
Speaker 14: Right, that's right, So we go, I guess we've got a couple ex players, right, you.
Speaker 6: Got Kracknell and MP that are going to be joining the the draft party.
Speaker 14: But yeah, the draft happens, and then the boys they have one day and they end up we all end up meeting in Utah, and then we go through, you know, things that we value. We go through some skill development sequences that they'll be exposed to as the season goes on, not only in practice but obviously in gameplay. So we try to put them in some of those situations so they're ready to you know, expand their game and be ready for the.
Speaker 6: For the pro game, or you know what.
Speaker 14: A lot of them go back to play junior or college and they'll you know, have an opportunity to expand and understand what it takes to become a pro.
Speaker 4: Do you have a chance to see these guys like, like, I don't want to compare it necessary to you know, the NBA, where it seems like we do get a chance, at least in the US to see most of the top prospects. But you, as a hockey coach, one are you wondering maybe what am I getting when even if we know he's going to be a first round pick or you know, picked early, they're going to be good. But have you seen a lot of these guys yourself.
Speaker 6: I've not been able to see them.
Speaker 14: You know, when when the hockey season starts, you're you're so focused on your team and the teams that you're playing. You know, we don't we don't really get a real strong understanding of how the players are performing and you know, what their strengths and weaknesses are during the season.
Speaker 6: So at this point, I really don't know.
Speaker 14: Obviously, once we recre with the players, we'll dive in and we'll set a profile and you know, we'll take a look at their film and make sure that we're fully aware of, you know, the player that's coming and we've got to make sure that we're able to lead them and guide them in the right direction to maximize his growth.
Speaker 2: So last year you made the playoffs very well or fairly well? What were your needs and how was last year?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 14: I think last year was you know, success can be measured in so many different ways.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 14: I think with the team that we had two seasons ago, we had a real good mix of young players that were ready to play in the NHL and it was just a matter of when, not if, And of course they were mixed in with some a real good lead you know, a lot of good, real strong leaders. So I thought the mix was really good. And last season, you.
Speaker 6: Know, we were a younger team.
Speaker 14: The players were trying to do what they could to you know, evolve to the American Hockey League level, learn the level, and you know it's gonna take them some time, but they're you know, they're gonna have an opportunity down to grow their.
Speaker 6: Game and see how far they can push it.
Speaker 14: And uh, you know, obviously we're hopeful that it's it's going to expand into an h L brand game and you know that will eventually help obviously the Tucson Roadrunners, and I thought last year the mix of leadership that we had did a real good job of expanding their communication and their qualities as people and leaders, and they helped the young guys grow and so we're able at the end to form a real strong team.
Speaker 6: And I thought.
Speaker 14: It was from that to that point real successful and I thought our young guys were able to evolve.
Speaker 6: You know, in a league that listen, isn't easy. It's a it's a lead that's gonna test your will. And that's how bad.
Speaker 14: They want to be a hockey player, because you know, I guess a little bit narrow at the top and typically that last five.
Speaker 6: Rather to do some things that maybe you weren't.
Speaker 2: Exact real quick. You're your phone is kind of like coming in and out a little. I'm not too sure where you're at. But you're going to get a chance and maybe this year to coach a Dmitri and Danell Where were they last year?
Speaker 6: Sorry you cut out there, Okay what you said.
Speaker 2: So you might have a chance to or maybe you already have Dmitri and Danelle to coach this year or have they.
Speaker 14: Yeah, look, listen, we're we're not exactly sure at this point. We're going to try to do what we can to get through this development camp. Go through rookie tournament, then go through the NHL training camps, and then we'll see how it's how it all kind of evolves.
Speaker 6: So we're looking forward to.
Speaker 14: Whoever we have and whoever we get will be prepared and we'll have a strong understanding of what they need and where they need to evolve.
Speaker 2: Could you, could you, because I'm not too familiar with them, because I'm not a big hockey guy, could you just mentioned last year there were two first rounders from a couple of years, right, so we don't so last.
Speaker 14: Year we we didn't have a first rounder with us six we had up front, we had mav Lamaraux in the back end, which was a first rounder.
Speaker 2: This was in twenty twenty three, though, I think maybe you're a year behind. No, no, they sent me this twenty twenty three. Dimitri and Danil were first rounders who signed with Utah last month.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, we haven't. We haven't seen them yet.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 6: No, we haven't seen them yet. Our first rounder last year that we were able to coach was Maverick.
Speaker 4: So logistically, how how did things go this year with the with the team, you know, relocating kind of the way they did. And you know, there's such a closeness between Phoenix and Tucson. How did things go with Salt Lake City?
Speaker 6: You know what, I we thought it was. We didn't we didn't.
Speaker 4: We thought it was seamless.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 14: I thought our group did a great job of, you know, making sure that we had everything we needed when we were you know, in transition when guys were getting called up, we were ahead of it.
Speaker 6: I don't think there was really any issues there.
Speaker 14: And you know, I thought our communication with the staff was you know, in the NHL staff was good. So I thought I didn't think the transition was difficult at all.
Speaker 4: So tomorrow's a big day. Like we talked about, open.
Speaker 2: To the public, correct starts at four, Yes, sir, what can people do?
Speaker 4: They can go be fans. Is it a cost anything like that?
Speaker 14: Well, I'm not sure that there's a cost involved, but I know that there, you know, there there's gonna be some excitement there.
Speaker 6: I think there's going to be, you know, a pretty good environment.
Speaker 14: I think everybody's excited to be part of the draft and see what you know, what players are coming.
Speaker 6: We have former players that.
Speaker 14: Are going to be there, Adam Kracknell and Tyson MPI are going to be there, so it's always nice to have familiar faces, and you know, there's just just just gonna be you know, I think an environment where everybody's happy talking hockey again and looking forward to getting the season started and looking to see what our future looks like.
Speaker 4: Nothing like hockey talk when it's one hundred degrees and Tucson man. The Stanley Cup finals were amazing. Again, maybe just talk briefly about Florida and the dominance that they're showing here over the last couple of years. What's happening down there?
Speaker 14: Oh well, you know, give credit to how they were able to put that team together, you know, to be able to pick up Marshawn and Jones at the tail end and foreslan As just to basically a free pickup. I mean, those are three major players that really contributed. It's hard to imagine a team in this era to be able to get to the finals three years in a row and win two of them back to back. So it's it's a credit to their to the management group. But look at they they set a standard of how simple and how hard you need to play and when you play real simple like that.
Speaker 6: It's it's it's really effective.
Speaker 14: And they've got the guys to be able to play a hard nosed game, and you know, when they wanted to turn it on, it was hard to play against them.
Speaker 2: Can you talk briefly, maybe last question about the fans and Tucson. They pushed really hard for them to stay, for you guys to stay here, and I'm sure they kind of supported you a lot over the last year.
Speaker 6: Oh, it's been great. You know, I know that there was you know, a major there was you know.
Speaker 14: Support that we we really weren't expecting when things were going really poorly.
Speaker 6: I mean, I know that there was, you.
Speaker 14: Know, a petition going around, and you know, I thought, I thought the fans really rallied together. And it just goes to show and prove that hockey belongs in the desert. And you'd love to see that the new rink now was being built and you know, minor hockey is going to continue to grow and it's.
Speaker 6: Great to see it. And listen, we just talked about Adam and Tyson.
Speaker 14: They're they're running a clinic there daily and they're offering some office shooting and we're seeing you know some kids partaking that and it's just great to see the fans give us the type of support that they have, and they showed up and were able to really help us along. You know, we had some really good crowds late in the season, and I thought it elevated our game.
Speaker 6: You know, our guys.
Speaker 14: Wanted couldn't wait to get home and play in front of them, and we were able to win that last game and get.
Speaker 4: Us to the playoffs.
Speaker 14: So it's definitely a credit to you know, the fans, the organization, the players, and we're all connected.
Speaker 2: Well, see, we appreciate your time. Good luck tomorrow and next week at the camp.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it.
Speaker 14: Thanks guys, thanks for having us on and hopefully we pick up a couple guys here that can get us to the cup.
Speaker 2: Right nice, super Thank you. Steve Poppin the coach at the road Runners, appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Yeah, let's take a break. Let's kick a break and come back. If you're an.
Speaker 2: Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years now. Take a look back at the Ludolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Lout. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: Where do you buy exercising quick mask Arizona.
Speaker 12: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 16: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 17: Lead it and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 11: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial dad available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PEMA dot edu slash someday.
Speaker 4: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 5: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 16: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 17: Leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot Hey Tucsons.
Speaker 2: Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roofed. They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmund Marcus All State Agency.
Speaker 4: You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 18: Craving Tucson's Best Burger, The Fourth Avenue legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are.
Speaker 19: Waiting at Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Les Pies mean more money in your pocket, less hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Lessons More Philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the Tucson Spectrum. Pyramid Federal credit union where less is more federally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera, he's got his eye on the ball on Tucson's sports station, Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to our on the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, Your Dave got Ray waiting.
Speaker 4: For some calls.
Speaker 2: So if it's the number five two zero four one six seventy four forty. We had Don on yesterday, our usual Don call and what.
Speaker 4: Do you want to talk about? We talked about We were talking about coaching kids, coaching kids and the expectations that they had, and the parents and all the usual crap word. You know, this Keller helicopter parents and they expect more, YadA YadA. But VIC tried to get in. Vic, you couldn't get in.
Speaker 2: If you want to call five two zero four one six seventy four four zero Richard, you sent me a text if you want to call in, that's fine too. Anybody else who wants to call, first time listener, first time caller, that'd be appreciated. We went through some hockey, some MBA stuff. Will Caleb Love get drafted? You kind of think maybe.
Speaker 4: I mean, what's give me a percentage, I don't know, fifty.
Speaker 2: Fifty, I don't know. I'll take the fifty percent. That is it gonna happen. Yeah, And I only say that, and I'm not negative on this. I just his name hasn't popped up anywhere, you know it is really that's for a reason, and maybe they're just trying to keep it secret.
Speaker 4: But I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's just surprising because he has so many, so many accolades, He's had so many big moments.
Speaker 4: It's just it. I mean, he was an All American a year ago, right, not this last season, right, first team making first or second team first making All Star teams.
Speaker 2: So in your list of people that were retracted by you, of a Marcus Williams was like the thirty three, I think like that.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you something. He's twice as good as Marcus Williams. Yeah, and you don't get a sniff, Well, you know, who knows what the environment was like in those years, were a lot of international players coming over there. I don't who knows.
Speaker 2: This is back in the day, almost almost twenty years ago, which is unbelievable now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's really interesting too, because it's like you, like you say that, it's like maybe it's something we don't know about, but it's like we see it on the court that he you know, he has the potential right to be able to play at that at that level. And then and you know, the after the Duke game, I remember Vasar and like a bunch.
Speaker 4: Of the guys like we're like, hey, he's a great guy.
Speaker 3: And then obviously we've had like we played the clip of Tommy vouching for him too.
Speaker 2: So it's like, well, look at you, look at you, so continue what are you observing?
Speaker 3: I don't know, It's just it's it's a tough call. It's like, what what's making this guy so unattractive teams?
Speaker 4: Well, here's here's the other thing. Why would they have to vouch for him exactly? Well, yeah, it's a fair point to.
Speaker 2: Raise a good guy. He's a super good guy. I see do charity work. But I'm talking about you just joking, but in a situation raise a good guy, I se do charity work. But why would I have to say that publicly? Yeah, you know, to defend you.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's no surprises out there to they know everything exactly. They talked to coaches, they've talked to you know, scouts, whatever, they've seen them in person, they've watched them in games. I mean, they know who he is. We got a call.
Speaker 15: Who's this?
Speaker 4: You're on the air, t Ken, How are you? First time caller? Sounds like.
Speaker 15: Yes, I am. I've listened bookayse bookays at different times. In any way, I I always liked hearing you regardless, you know, not a religious listener.
Speaker 4: If you will, Okay, what do you are you? What are your thoughts? Thank you?
Speaker 15: By the way, Well, my my thoughts are I've been here since nineteen seventy nine, and coincidentally I grew up in Saint Louis where you're singing the praises of that guard on the in the draft pool, and I must say, you know he's talented, but uh what he he didn't have as far as I look for, like I'm like, I'm a draft analyst. Is one of the last games he played, you know, he shot like thirty or forty times and made of three of them, and he was just like robotic trying to make a shot. Instead of saying what a lot of people will will acknowledge well, I'm not hitting the hidden of you know, the making points. So what else can I do? Can I right?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 15: Or apposite? On stealing baskets? You know, the whole gamut of things.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, I understand what you're saying. You're probably referring to the Clemson game too. Thanks for the call, because we got another call. But we'll answer that your thoughts real quick. It's Ken, right, what's your name?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Ken?
Speaker 2: Thank you Ken for calling. Keep listening, hopefully you will. Uh yeah, so we've got a new call. Let me answer the question real quick. So against Clemson, if you remember, you went like three for eighteen something like that, and that still reverberates right this last year he was off and on, off and on until the playoffs last month or so when he's really on.
Speaker 4: So, which Caleb Love is are you going to get? Yeah, that's the key. I'm sure that's what the scouts are thinking, like that, we're gonna get this guy that's just gonna go shoot. But you know, maybe he would be more controlled in the NBA environment by a different coach or I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, here's your point because you mentioned this, and we'll get to the call in a second, at the at the G League or the summer league. You said, let him take control. That's the problem. You can't let him take control because that could be.
Speaker 4: Who he is. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. I don't know. I mean, are the NBA coaches going to let someone go three for eighteen though? Oh no, no, you know they're out, You know them, doesn't There's all because there's somebody else right whereas maybe the UFA didn't really have a you were, you were spot on. Yeah, if this guy can't do it, guess what we got another dude who you can. Yeah, yeah, okay, we got a call. You're on the air and nine on the ball. Hey, gentlemen, you brought up Marcut Williams. Is this Marcus about for sona non grata?
Speaker 6: You know what I mean? Like he was here and then he left and it was just.
Speaker 20: Like everybody washed their hands and like, hey, let's move on.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 20: Maybe, I mean Iguodala kind of had issues with Loot, but I don't know if any I wasn't even living here at the time. But I don't know if anyone who like the fan base just didn't like, like, I don't know that's Marcus Williams.
Speaker 6: That's funny he brought.
Speaker 20: His name up because like I was like, man, who is that?
Speaker 6: And like, oh, yeah, that was Marcus. Well, that dude played for the U of A.
Speaker 20: Like he totally was outside of my my mind space, Like I had to like.
Speaker 6: Recall who he was.
Speaker 2: Right along those lines, there was Chris Rogers if you remember, of course, who was kicked off a team and brought back Marcus. Marcus was just one of those dudes who thought he was an NBA guy after two years he was not. Andre Andre and Lute had their back and forth every now and again. It's weird that you knew that, but it's true.
Speaker 4: So yeah, no, I would think Caleb.
Speaker 20: I don't think he's going to you know, get drafted and become a contributor on an NBA roster. I think he's gonna hang out in the bottom third maybe some G League time.
Speaker 4: I think Marcus was bigger than him. I remember, yes, he was, yes, like six eighty six to seven.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 20: Yeah, So I mean I think that's kind of the NBA kind of drafts on potential and you know, like a lot of Hubris. But I mean I hope somebody does give him a chance because the guy is a gamer and put him in the right situation.
Speaker 7: I think it can contribute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agree with you. And guess where Marcus went San Antonio. Ah yeah, so okay, hey, thanks again. This is Money team Money, right, yes, sir, thanks man, thanks for listening, Thanks for calling.
Speaker 4: All right, take care.
Speaker 2: Anybody else want to call. We have a few minutes right down, about seven eight minutes.
Speaker 4: So that's good in a career that took him literally around the world. You know, he played in China market, Marcus, he played in you know, yeah, China quite a bit. Actually played he played for the Austin Toros. We're talking about Austin with Vinnie Is. This is the saying Tonio spur Product played for the Clippers for a minute or so. It's funny because that's eighteen years ago.
Speaker 2: I think about eighteen years ago, he would be about thirty eight, almost forty now, you got it?
Speaker 4: Uh yeah?
Speaker 2: So hey, and remember who he played with, Chase Budding, who I had on the show here. And I used to talk to Chase when he was a freshman. I said, who was a fantastic player, right, And I said, why don't you just kind of take over. He says, I'm a freshman. I don't want to step on anybody's toes. The guy that he would have stepped on was Marcus Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. That was an interesting period of time because it because kind of the end of Loot's yeah era, and some of these guys kind of came in with you know, I mean, Chase came in with incredible credentials. Was any one of the players in the country.
Speaker 2: Well, he and Luke had said maybe he was maybe fibbing a little because he needed him to play.
Speaker 18: Well.
Speaker 2: Was the all time best recruit he'd ever had. Yeah, there was a guy named Steve Sean Elliott, right, there was some other dudes out there, but he was trying to you know, prop him up. Yeah, because he needed that class because of a why Nick Wise, Jordan Hill, and he was coming off not a great year, so he needed to get the people to believe again.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, I mean, like I said in Team Money just said too about the potential situation with with Caleb, it's obviously he's got the potential and it's just a matter of which team wants to take the chance. And they only get a couple of picks and you know, do I do we draft him or do we maybe sign him? Maybe we just you know, have him on the back burner and we'll we'll get him tonight later.
Speaker 2: I think that we talked about this earlier, David is probably the best thing is not to get drafted. You you and your your team of agents figure out where the best place to go and go from there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember, I was I was interviewing one of the coaches here in the area and they had told me about how they had an agent. It was for football though, and he was from Houston, and he he told me about how he obviously wanted to play for the Texans but played linebacker, so it was when they had like a really good linebacking course.
Speaker 4: So it ended up going to the Rams. So it's one of those things where it's like you find your place.
Speaker 3: It's better to find where you can fit than where you want to go.
Speaker 2: Sure yeah, sure, no, if you want to make this a life, yeah yeah, sometimes I won't even use this analogy.
Speaker 4: I always use these stupid analogies.
Speaker 2: You know what, probably what I'm going, oh man with women.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sometimes it's the other place that's going to be a more comfortable fit. And also too, I was just looking and I didn't kind of forgot the fact that there's a lot of teams. It didn't have any picks last night that I don't want to get somebody maybe that's going to fit in. I mean, the Warriors isn't. I was just going to ask you that Detroit Pacers have two picks coming up tonight, didn't have any in the first round. Does the Golden State have some? The Lakers have one, the Bucks. Golden State has two, Yeah, but like fifty two and fifty nine, so I mean that's going to be pretty late in the draft. Yeah, and then Cleveland also has two. So those are playoff teams. It didn't have anybody, So you know, the playoff teams, how many Yeah, how many spots are available. The Lakers didn't go either, I don't think do they. No, Yeah, the Lakers have the forty fifth pick tonight and the Suns. The Suns have they had too now they think they just have one.
Speaker 3: Funny enough, I could see I could see Caleb Love going to the Warriors, like like he kind of fits into that cominga role, kind of cominga role.
Speaker 4: Really, Yeah, I think athletic.
Speaker 3: You know, athletic guy, decent, shooter, streaky, but I mean one and Steven.
Speaker 2: The group has drafted some Arizona guys in the past. That's true, Manion that made the stage for Bud a year Forgot. Yeah, maybe, but Caleb's just rare something.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: He's a shooter. He's a scorer, but he's more of a shooter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he is a scorer. In these days, you got to be like six five sixty six to be that two guard. It seems like he's not a point guard. No, I don't think you know, so, I don't know. Is he tall enough? That maybe something that's holding them back as well.
Speaker 2: He's a fantastic town you can get to the rim. He knows he's dunks out of this world. But it's the butt.
Speaker 4: Play much defense? Is that going to be an issue?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Well? That's yeah.
Speaker 2: Another thing when you watched when you watched Carter, did you see that he played defense?
Speaker 4: I mean he made defensive plays like highlight They.
Speaker 2: Talk about him doing this three I don't remember him being this like stopper.
Speaker 4: I remember getting a lot of follows. Yeah that did I miss? Yeah, I mean there were the highlights I kept showing over and over him. There's a couple of great block shots where he kind of recovers and and gets in a position to make it kind of a spectacular Hey, but because he probably just got burned.
Speaker 2: To use that analogies, I've started a fire or too, but I also had to extinguish her to turn it off.
Speaker 4: You know, that's kind of what we're seeing with him. So I don't know, but you know, we've seen him in six y nine. He's got a huge wingspan, he can jump out of the court. He's going to have a long career. He's a Stanley you know. When you saw Standley Johnson, everyone said he's the you know, first he didn't have a long career. No, No, I don't know what happened there too, because I remember he was kind of you know, you know, here we are, Oh, we're comparing him to Lebron because he kind of had the same body, big body, you know, So we kind of felt that way and sort of saw that as a young player here, but it just never evolved in the pros. No, because he didn't have a shot.
Speaker 2: He was an athletic dude who can gets the rim and stuff, but he didn't have a shot, and and kind of his mentality was was a little selfish. You know, in the story for TJ McConnell, his sor, you're not going to mess up our season by being this selfish guy. And and that just doesn't happen overnight. That's kind of who you are until you're not until you can't be. And if you're there in the in the NBA, people are going to tell you it doesn't work here.
Speaker 4: Just you're not stiff, You're not this guy to be that guy. Well, I mean, Carter, he passes the eye test. You know, he's got a nice looking shot, he can he does make those spectacular plays on defense. Let's see. I mean, let's give him a chance. I guess we really didn't get a chance to really see him play that much and get him in front of some procout pro coaches and pro players to compete against. Let's see where he stacks up. I mean, there's nothing we can say right now. He's he's in position to be successful. I'll give you another guy, another guy who was one of.
Speaker 2: Those guys the Shimmy, the shimmy I just left his name, Lefty Shimmy or with the TJ. McConnell's and Aaron Gordon's. And did you think he left early too? And he played a figure he played well maybe three yeah, maybe three went to in New Jersey. God, why didn't I get it for you?
Speaker 4: I don't recall someone called? Tell me someone text me? Uh where?
Speaker 2: He lasted maybe three maybe four years at the most. And you think, okay, he has potential, but he couldn't score.
Speaker 4: He was more of a defender. That's right. He was all defense. College. Oh no, I can't.
Speaker 2: I gotta get this name how I'm not gonna get it out of like, Oh man, it's our j it's a who is it?
Speaker 4: Tell me Dave?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 4: I know, no one's gonna tell me. I have to come back tomorrow. Jefferson. There we go, that guy. But he was more you know, yeah, he is all defense, all defense. Money. We gotta go.
Speaker 1: We go.
Speaker 2: Team money's calling it. Thanks Team Money for the chance. We'll see you guys tomorrow