Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome back to the Western Suburbs or Friday Night Drive Western Suburbs Podcasts. This is Josh Welge. I'm here with Joe Bennett's Joel. It's July seventeenth. We're taking this on a Thursday afternoon. It's I believe if Edgie Tim is accurate, it's forty three days until the first football Friday. He counts it down. We're about six weeks away. How are you feeling. We're getting pretty close.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's it's feeling a lot more like football season. I mean we're seeing a lot of seven on seven's happening. I mean, you know, last week I was at Battle of the Big Butts obviously one of the bigger seven on seven events that happens here in Illinois. So it's really feeling like, you know, football season is really coming alive now.
Speaker 1: So yeah, really times we can only hope that this season will be as exciting as last season that ended with you know, I think we had local teams and in every every game of the last day of the season last year, So hopefully it'll be just like that. And uh, you know, it's I know it's in July but UH, we're kind of reaching a point in the counter that becomes kind of a you know, where it starts to get a little bit realistic that season's coming. The the I just say releases the the official schedule for for football UH on on Friday, UH and US at Friday Night Drive. We are gonna have wall to wall coverage on that. We're gonna have week by week UH breakdowns for every market that we cover of the games that we're looking forward to. Steve Susie has a couple analysis pieces lined up that I was able to read this morning, so that's going to be pretty exciting. And then UH, it's gonna be four podcasts coming people's way if if they're into the podcast game. Joel and I of course taping Susan and I doing kind of an overview type piece podcast. And then Susan Mason Schweizer from our uh, you know, kank Key newspaper they they jumped on for a podcast about that neck of the woods. And then j T Penalty, Eddie Griffel and San Ramirez with their South and West podcast looking at the Calb County and UH and and SOCC suck in South Valley area and the Illinois valleys, So a lot of stuff coming your way if you're into football in July Friday night drive his place to go. So but but yeah, no, we just wanted to uh Joe today. Wanted to maybe first start off by looking at some of the you know, kind of new matchups, uh, particularly early in the year that kind of excited me and excited as you as we as we looked at him, and we kind of had a little bit of sneak preview we have. You know. The the thing is that the official release is tomorrow on Friday, but the schedules are kind of out there, so you kind of know what games are going on, it's just you know, not the official official is tomorrow, so we we do a pretty good yeah about what's going on. But uh, but yeah, I mean, uh, you know, I'm gonna start uh week one. Or's some really you know, interesting kind of new matchups that I saw and one of the ones that really that that Sus told me. It kind of came together very last minute in the last month or so of the the offseason, as teams were scrambling to phil openings. Lion's township is going to be at Joey at Catholic Week one. Uh I saw that and I think I texted Sue's like, Ooh, I mean Lion's Township a team that they won the Western Westernbourban Silver last year, they reached the Class eight A quarterfinals and they are continuing to emerge as a threat in eight A and obviously the Westbourbon Silver that they won last year. Then they're going down to Joel Yet to play Joey a Catholic of course, the defending Class five A runner up. Really good tradition there, and just not only two really good programs, but two really good conferences. You know, not gonna right off the bad in Week one. So that's gonna be a really fun one to watch. But Joe, I know there there's a couple ones that you're looking at. One specifically that I could think.
Speaker 2: Of, Yeah, yeah, the big one for me that I've been keeped my eye out for is Saint Charles North heading down to Minooka. Obviously North Stars past couple of years, they've played their Week one game against Palatine, and those games that were always really fun to watch because they always came down to the you know, last second players, it felt like, But I mean Minooka obviously eight and three last season. I mean, you know, they're coming off a pretty solid season in the Southwest Prairie. So it's gonna be really interesting to see, you know, if that Week one game against the team like Minooka stands up to you know, how their Week ones had been in the previous seasons against Palatine. Obviously, I'm a little upset that I think or that I never got to see a game like that, but I'm sure, you know, obviously Charles north is returning a lot of good players. Obviously they did lose their for your starting quarterback and Ethan Plumb, but they are still you know, having guys like Ring he'd come back, who's now committed to Northwestern. So I'm really excited to see how that game is gonna, you know, pan out to start off the season for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Kind of interesting in that the Duquesne Conference and the Southwest Prairie Conference are matching up in that Week one game. They're also matching up in Week two in a different game. Geneva going to Oswego. That was another one that I saw. I'm like, oh, it's kind of a it's kind of a fun one. A Swego's actually playing in April Central Week one, and then they have Geneva coming there. And you know, both of those teams, I mean, Oswego was nine and er last season in the regular season, got to the second round of the playoffs. Geneva, as we know, reached the state championship game. Those teams, both teams that they're gonna get have a little bit of different look this year. I mean, Geneva, you know graduates talent Taylor, Tony Jahino, Oswego. I think they returned like maybe four or five starters total, but they did a lot of success to lower levels. So yeah, that that'd be a that'd be a good one early on in the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like it's gonna be about of two kind of rebuilding programs this year because obviously, you know, you kind of mentioned us we Go only returning like four or five starters. Geneva their offense is only returning three starters of you know, their star studded cast from last season. Uh, their defense a little bit less to have to build back up. But you know, it's gonna be kind of interesting to see, you know, how much you know the younger guys that are going to be stepping up this season. It's gonna be interesting to see how they step up, you know, before they head into conference play.
Speaker 1: So yeah, any other kind of new games that you see on the schedule that that that that jump out to you before we kind of deep dive into the week by week.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One, I thought that was interesting, kind of looking a similar DUKEUN conference that somebody that you cover a lot more, Wheaton North obviously last year, they're two non conference games against Providence Catholic and Lockport. Those literally came down to the wire, both of them decided by the last play against two pre quality teams. They're gonna have a very similar non conference schedule. They're facing off against Simeon in week one and then Stevenson in week two. Stevenson obviously went ten to two last year, Simeon seven and four, you know, both really high quality programs that they're going to face off against before heading into Duking conference play. And I think considering how young they were for the most part, you know, last season, especially on offense, it's gonna be interesting to see how those guys face off against teams like Sidney and Stevenson this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, you know, one more game that I did notice this morning when I was kind of just kind of combing over things, is Ice Catholic is playing Woodstock North in Week two. I see Catholic. Obviously, they missed the playoffs last year, which they had not. It's been a long time since they they have missed the playoff got probably a decade or something. And I mean, obviously they want to stay titles and whatnot. They're playing Woodstock North. Who you know, maybe some people in the suburbs might not realize they had a really good year last year. They won eight games, they got to the second round of the playoffs. I believe they have their best player, David Rendecker fallback coming back. So I think they're going to be a team to watch in the Kishwaukee River. We'll see how they do against Icy Catholic. I feel that. So maybe a little bit of a you know, step up in class a little bit to play a team from the CCL, but definitely a matchup. I think it's Week two that I did notice, and I'm like, oh, that's kind of it's kind of interesting, you know, I wonder how they found each other. I mean, they're they're kind of like in different areas. But I mean teams, you know, sometimes matchups come together late in the offseason. I mean, I know, like there's some teams that are still looking for games a few weeks. I know, Montini the defending three eight champion, they won it as far as I know right now, I think Loyola is week two doesn't have an opponent right now. So I mean we're sitting here in July seventeenth. You know, well, we'll see what happens with that. But but yeah, that Icy Catholic Whitstack North game in week two, I believe was another one that stood out. So yeah, we wanted to to kind of look at a week by week and you know, maybe each of us can give a shout out to a game that we're kind of looking forward to each week. You know, I'll start at week one, Joel, What is there a game that kind of like jumps off the page to you or it's like, wow, I can't wait to see that one.
Speaker 2: I think the big one, uh, you know, kind of considering you know, the historic programs that are facing off and kind of a game that they provided last year. Batavian Glenbard West is a is always gonna be one of those games that you know, I was gonna be like, oh, I kind of want to see how this goes. Obviously, Glenbard West is coming off of, you know, a shocking season where they didn't make it into the playoffs, so I'm sure they're probably gonna want to get off on the right foot against a team like Batavia and obviously Bulldogs last year made it all the way to the state title game before losing to Mount Carmel. I know they're they're returning a lot of fun offensive weapons. Some may be in different positions from what I hear, So you know, I'm gonna be really interested to see, you know, kind of how that kind of stats up in that Week one matchup there. So that one's definitely caught my eye for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Glenbard West hosted Batavia last year and Deshaun Field the first time. I think those programs have played each other at least since their current head coaches have been there, and they've been there for a little while between Dennis Puron and Chad Hetlett. But I know Batavia won that game. It's kind of a close game, even though Batavia controlled the game, but kind of set an unfortunate tone for Glenbard West because they started the season zero and four and they were really battling back the rest of the year and they almost they almost kind of snuck in the back door, but they didn't quite get there. So they want to get off to a better start of the year. But man, it will not be easy because they go to Batavia and then they played Joliant Catholic week two, so hello, the first week season before they go into the conference. So but yeah, no, that's you and I both, I mean we saw Glenbard West TAVI week one. He're like, yeah, that's that's That's definitely one of the better ones. Uh. In week one, another game that I'm looking forward to, not only because I think it might be a good game, but because it's gonna be maybe the first game played in the state this year, and that's Saint Francis Is going to Gateley Stadium on Thursday night. They're playing Kenwood, who Ken's had a lot of really good, high end talent the last few years. They maybe slipped maybe a touch, but I mean, you never really know what they have coming. I do know that Saint Francis had has a lot of talent they have one of the best receiving cores in the state, led by Zach Washington. It's going to Michigan State. You know, their entire offensive linebacks. So but they they have a brutal schedule. I think you and I have both thought about it. So man, they they really want to get that win right off the bat. But again, Thursday night. I remember when I taught to coach McMillan and I asked him about the schedule. He's like, they were playing Thursday. I'm like, thank I think my first word in was thank you or thanks because you know, that's the chance for us to see some football before before right Friday rolls around. So yeah, that should be a good one. Week two. What are what are some of Is there a game that kind of stands out to you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean, you know, last year this game was kind of a blowout in my eyes or both not in my eyes, I saw it firsthand. But this year, I think it's going to be really interesting, you know, especially considering some of the talent that the losing team has added to their side. I'm talking about Batavia and South Elgin. I mean, obviously South Elgin has Gavin Bueler, coming in now Colorado commit uh, you know, coming in at tie end for them, So that adds a lot to you know, that potent offense. And I think also on top of that, Patavia lost a lot on the defensive side to graduation. I mean talking about Chase Osborne, who was you know, literally everywhere almost every single game for them, you know, Josh Cally also in the backfield. You know, they lost a lot up front as well. So I think it's gonna be really interesting to see. You know, it's gonna be a big test for that new defense, you know, heading into this game, and I think it's gonna be really interesting to see, you know, kind of how that dynamic is, especially facing off against somebody as talented on the field as Gavin Eeler.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well you mentioned South Elgin coming out of the Upstate Eight. Another matchup I'm looking forward to is week two. Is two other very good teams from that league. It's Glenbard East and West Arora. They I believe they won their respective divisions in the conference. Last year. They did play West Arora beat them kind of handling by a few touchdowns. But I mean it's two of the teams that are gonna be the best in that league. I expect both to get to the playoffs. They both went last year. I think Westroer went nine and zero during the regular season. I think they both might have reached the second round of playoffs. But that'll be a nice little game, you know early in the year kind of gets an idea about where those teams are at Week three.
Speaker 2: What do you think the Week three I think it's the matchup that decided part of the Duking Conference last year at St. Charles North versus Geneva. They're going to be heading to you know St. Charles North for this game. Obviously, two kind of different programs heading into this. I mean, obviously we kind of mentioned it. Geneva was gonna be on the rebuilding side on the offense.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile St.
Speaker 2: Charles North on the other side, they're returning a good majority of their offense besides of course Ethan Plump, but from what I hear, they have plenty of options in the back or in that Backeld bill in that position. So you know, it's gonna be really interesting to see, you know, what the dynamic is going to be between these two returning co Duking Conference champions so you know, I'm really interested to see how this game pans out.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna cheat for a week three and I'm gonna pick two games because one of them, one of them is you know, wow, wow wow. Is Mount Carmel playing Nazareth and Nazareth. Mount Carmel defending seven eight champs mount or Nazareth defending five eight champs. They're both going to be you know, moved up a class this year to eight A and six A assuming they reached the playoffs. But but obviously two of the you know, just the two of the great programs in the state. Nazareth did graduate a lot of really good seniors from last year's team, but man, I mean, I still expect to be good. Mount Carmel, Mike, Mike Goodness. They have so many like high major Division one recruits in that team. It's really scary the talent that they've assembled for this team on this team this year. So those two teams are playing Mount Carmel on and Nazareth. Coincidentally, I saw on the schedule. I believe it's Nazareth's only home game in the first five weeks of the season, so they're gonna be on a road quite a bit, starting with their going to Kankakey week one, so that should be a matchup that everybody's attention is going to be on. And then the other one, you know, at least in Sandwich Plano, all the attention is gonna be there is Sandwich and Plano meeting up, those two teams, those two schools and Metal on the football field since eighteen ninety seven. Pretty big game in those towns, and usually a pretty good game as well. Sandwich has beat in the last couple of years. But man, it's a rivalry that I think it's like fifty seven to fifty three all time, so it's really close. But you know, everybody in those communities is going to be keeping a close eye on that one. So some good ones there Week four. What do you think?
Speaker 2: I think a big one that you got to look at for Week four is obviously Saint Francis versus Saint Rita. I mean two returning you know, semi or state semifinal teams. Obviously Saint Francis in five A, uh, Saint Rita in seven A this or last year. I mean, you know, two quality programs are facing off against each other again. I think it's going to be really you know, interesting, and it might be a little bit closer this year, so I think it's gonna be a good matchup.
Speaker 1: I feel like you could pick a Saint Francis game probably eight out of the nine weeks. I mean, they're just crazy good, are crazy tough, whichever way you want to call it. But that should be a good one. One Another one in the c C L E SEC that I got my eye on is Fenwick playing at Montini. Montini, of course the defending Quest three A state champions, but Fenwick was the last team to beat them. Uh Mantini won the last ten games they played, including the playoffs, but Fenwick beat them. It was a good one too. It's thirteen to ten, low scoring game. Fenwick had a really good defense last year. We'll see what they look like this year. But but but that should be a really good one. It's one of Montini's probably, you know, games that I'm kind of watching in their schedule, like the last years. I feel like if Montini can just survive the regular season and get to five wins or maybe six wins, then they're gonna be a tough out once the playoff starts. But but that should be a really good one. Fenwick and Montini Week four, Week five? What games are on your map?
Speaker 2: Well, Week five, I think, uh, you know, kind of sticking with the Code D King Conference champion matchups, I think got to go with Saint Charles North and Batavia. They get I think, you know, both of those offenses have a lot of returning talent, and I think that's gonna, you know, show on the field. Last year game was super fun. It didn't look close for the most part or on paper, but I mean it required a very big effort from Nathan wentwell for Batavia to pull off that victory. I mean five second half touchdown or rushing touchdowns for him. He honestly could have had a six if they didn't put Grayson Kelly in for that play. But yeah, no, I think, you know, this is going to be once again a really good game with two really talented offenses. And yeah, there's a chance that this is going to determine who wins the Duke in Conference in my opinion, So I think he's given fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that should be a lot of fun again. I got there's a couple that I'm looking at for Week five. I start with again Nazareth. They're going to Joey Catholic. I mean, it speaks for itself. These are two teams that have played for the state title the last two years and five A and NADS have beat them both times. They beat them last year in the regular season. Two all of them were very close games, so that one should be a lot of fun. Another really good matchup. I mean, you could probably pick three or four games every week in the C C L E. S CC that that are really good games. But that is definitely one that I'm looking at. And the other one out there in Kendall County area, Yorkville is playing Oswego. You know, neighboring towns, kind of close rivals, friendly type rivals, but you know Oswego got them last year, Yorkville got them the two previous years. Yorkville another team that's had a lot of success the last decade, but they missed the playoffs at four and five last year, so they're gonna be looking to get back and that'll be one of the games that they certainly have circle on their calendar. So so that should be a really fun h you know, week five matchup. Week six, we're already into October, or at least close to it. Maybe lads some times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. Well, Week six is obviously a rivalry matchup week for Duking Conference, So I think I think it's fair to talk talk about one of the longest standing rivalries in the state of Illinois, Patavia and Geneva. I mean, obviously, last year Geneva broke their thirteen year losing streak to Dennis Piron and Batavia. But you know, obviously we've kind of mentioned it. They're a little bit you know, on the rebuilding side. By week six, they should definitely have a better idea of what their or their identity on offense and defense. Tavia should be the exact same way. But I think this is going to be a really interesting matchup once again. I mean, you know, it's you know, the two years that Geneva lost heading into their win, they were relatively close, and I think this is gonna be another game that you know, it's gonna be a little bit more closer than you know, people expected to be. So I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're definitely talking a different type of tone with that matchup after Geneva was you know, finally able to beat him last year and then you know, took them momentum all the way to the to the state championship game. But I will say, you know, last year, in Week six, I had never heard of Michael vander Luigarran and by the end, by the end of the year, I was like, I want Michael vander Luicgarrant in my fantasy football team. So, I mean, he really he really made a name for himself, and I think he's gonna make a name for himself again this year. But yeah, no, that's that's definitely a matchup that everybody is gonna have their eye on. Is that Week six game you mentioned.
Speaker 2: He's actually gonna have name plate the entire time.
Speaker 1: So right, right right. Obviously you mentioned that sort of Rivalriec and the Ducane another good one. Wheaton Warrenville South, Wheaton North, you know, another kind of uh, you know, there's some rivalries and I feel like teams like hate each other. I think with that matchup, they just like respect each other. I mean, they like up together and stuff, and they probably played a lot of youth football together and stuff. I just think that it's just a good rivalry that the community kind of gets around. And Wheaton North is another program. I mean, I mean, they went state just few years ago, but they were four and five last year and and miss the playoffs, and Wheaton South was able to beat them, and you know they're gonna be, you know, coming back. But I mean I think, I mean, they might be contenders in the Ducaine, but the way the Dukene is and as competitive is, they're probably gonna be in that situation coming in a game like three and two or something like that and needing a win and obviously a big game like that. So that's that one should be a lot of fun. Week six again the Ducaine Conference sort of rivalry week Week seven? What do you think Week seven?
Speaker 2: I think the big one for me, you know, talking about a team that you know, we just kind of touched on Moorneville South and we are in Saint Charles North. I mean, you know, last year that game went all the way to or all the way down to the buzzer for the most part, and I think, you know, the year before that game went into overtime. But yeah, those are two teams. I think they're the only two teams in the duke In conference that lost multi year starters at quarterback. Is so, you know, kind of like what I mentioned week seven, they should have a better idea of their identity on offense, especially you know, in that quarterback position. But I think it's going to be really interesting to see, you know, if they can live up to the standard that they've you know, kind of produced in the last two games or in the last two years, and you know, bring another highlight game. But I also have another one to touch on in the Duking Conference, another one that went into overtime last year, you know, Saint Charles East in Lake Park. I think that might also be an interesting game. Saint Charles East has a really talented wide receiver room this year that's experienced for you know, a good majority of it. So I think they're going to be really interesting in that mindset. And then Lake Park obviously, past couple of years, they've been one game away from making into the playoffs. They were four and five. Last year they shocked Eaton North and kept them out of the playoffs by being them in Week nine. You know, I think they're also returning a lot of good talent on offense, and I think it should be interesting to see, you know, if either of those schemes are like really close to potentially making it to the playoffs if that win can kind of kind of pull them for those final two games there.
Speaker 1: Mm hm, so a couple of games and I'm looking at Week seven one of them York and Downers Grow North, two of the best teams in the West Suburban Silvery York obviously reached the Class eight eight state championship game last year. They made the semifinals with two previous years, and I mean, I think they're they're at the point there than their program that this is not just a one or two year thing. They got a rolling now, I mean, and I think they're gonna be really good again. And downs Grow North. I mean, my goodness. When you have three kids that are committed to the Big Ten and a quarterback at tight end and an offensive alignment, that's a pretty good place to start with. With Owen Lance to Will Val at tight end going to to Illinois and then uh so Lucky I believe his last name, I forget the first name. He's an off with some lineman going to Purdue. But that'll be one of the better games in a West Suburban silver this year. York and Downers going North and then the other one Oswega Monooka, and I feel like the last probably ten years in the Southwest period, that's gonna in the Western Division. That's like maybe one of the games to watch, and I think it will be again. Minooka has probably as much talent or at least experience back in that league as anyone and as we go, the road to the title that league usually goes through Oswego. So that's gonna be another game in Week seven. And I'm watching, we get what game stands out to you.
Speaker 2: I think the big one for me is Wheaton North in Geneva. I think that's gonna be the big one. Geneva's gonna be hangover to Wheaton for that game. You know, last year, these two teams based off Wheaton North looked like they had a chance to han Geneva, you know, their first losses this season, but some unfortunate plays that happened in the red zone with less than a minute left to Geneva holly on for the win. I think it's gonna be really interesting. And I think considering how late it is in the season and how you know, kind of questionable, you know, these two teams might be there may be a chance that this might be a game that determines if there's a chance that they can make it to the playoffs. They're not, So I think this is going to be a really interesting matchup for both of these teams.
Speaker 1: Uh. For me, I think I got to go with the Swego sweg East Crosstown rivalie games twenty first time that these two teams have played each other. Asweegos won eighteen of the first twenty games. They got them last year, which which kept our sweg of East out of the playoffs and also finish off a nine and zero regular season. So again, I mean that it's a matchup that the community looks forward to every year. Obviously Oswegos had the upper hand for the most part, but in the last like five years, asweg of East has won two of the games. So asweg of East is gonna be a team that's looking to get back to the playoffs they've missed the last two years if they were kind of a regular for the decades previous to that. But but yeah, I mean that that's always a game that you kind of circle on the calendar, and you know it being that that late in the season, I'm sure the significance will be pretty high. Week nine.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Josh, I think we both know what game we're gonna be one. Yeah, we're gonna pa the same game. We're gonna We're gonna pick Saint Francis versus NA Nazareth again. So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean that's the game. I mean, well, you know that they both they've played each other the last two years in a regular season and in the playoffs. They won't this year with Nazareth moving up to six A, but but yeah, I'm sure there'll be quite a few fireworks in that game. You know. What do you think about that one?
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe just a few that that that's my guess. I mean, obviously, you know, last few years, Saint Francis beat Nazareth in the regular season and then lost to them in the playoffs. But I mean, obviously we've kind of touched on it. Saint Francis has one of the best receiving cores in the state. I mean, you know, Nazareth is always or is always you know, a really good program when it comes to that. So I think it's gonna be you know, once again, it's gonna be a really fun matchup with a lot of fireworks and you know, maybe some not nice things will be said in the game between the two teams.
Speaker 1: I think there's a little bit of edge to that Ribbaly maybe just a little bit a bit of an edge to that robbery. So yeah, a lot to look forward to. You know, this has been a lot of fun breaking it down again. Uh, everybody out there, check out all the other podcasts that we have coming this week. Check out the content. You know, we obviously the season is fast approaching, will be publishing our Friday Night Drive preview magazine coming out in August, so you know, take it. Check out that one as well well. Full previews coming, and then once the season starts, we'll be back at it with previews features. Joe and I will be breaking it down every week with other podcasts as well. Uh sus to be back with Matt Rotovald on their on their Friday Night Live Friday Night show. So a lot of good stuff coming, Joe. Before we get out of here, any parting parting comments.
Speaker 2: Excited to see you guys getting six weeks.
Speaker 1: Very very excited again for Joe Bennett's This is Josh Welge. Everyone have a good weekend. We'll see you soon.