Speaker 1: Podze of America is brought to you by simply Safe. At the risk of saying something controversial, we're not big fans of junk fees around these parts. Yeah, that's why we love simply Say I. Simply Safe has no long term contracts, no hidden agendas, and no ulterior motives. They just provide twenty four to seven protection without trying to trap you in endless fine print. John Lovet set up a simply Safe all by himself, all by himself. Good for him, and he has had no complaints and he set it up easy. It works great right from your phone was simply Safe. You can customize your system to fit your needs. It ships fast directly to your door. The app guide had set up as simple and there's no drilling required so you can install and arm your system in under an hour. Simply Safe is more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive system of sensors, indoor and outdoor cameras in twenty four to seven professional monitoring. It's backed by simply Save twenty four to seven professional monitoring agents who dispatch emergency help when you need it. Over five million people value and trust simply Safe with their home security every day. Right now, our listeners will get fifty percent off a new system when you sign up for professional monitoring, and your first month is free. Just visit simply safe dot com slash crooked. That's half off at simply safe dot com slash crooked. There's no safe like simply safe. Welcome to Pod Save America.
Speaker 2: I'm Jon Favre, I'm Dan Pfeiffer.
Speaker 1: On today's show, Donald Trump has fled to China after admitting he doesn't think about American's financial situation, not even a little bit. We'll talk about all the follow up from that fun little gaff and the possibility that Trump may personally pocket billions in taxpayer dollars because of a lawsuit he filed that his own Justice Department is on the verge of settling. We'll also talk about the Democrats' latest plan to fight the Republican jerrymanderspree, more updates on the DNC and it's phantom twenty twenty four autopsy, and of course, why the new twenty two foot golden statue of Donald Trump at his golf club, blessed by his spiritual advisor, is definitely not a golden calf. Before we get into any of that. If you're a Friend of the Pod subscriber, which if you aren't, you should be, you can now buy tickets for this year's Crooked Con special pre sale just for subscribers, So go get your ticket now. If you're not a subscriber, which must be because you hate pro democracy media and love podcast ads, you can buy crookeed Con tickets starting next week on May nineteenth, Tuesday, May nineteenth. Either way, it's going to be a big fun party after the midterms November fifth through the seventh. I am sticking with big fun party, Dan.
Speaker 2: Okay, luck you won.
Speaker 1: Go to Crickedcon dot com for more details, including how to become a Friends of the Pod subscriber, in which you again get ad free episodes of all your favorite Crookeet pods, and you get special subscriber only pods like Polar Coaster with Dan Pfeiffer, who I'm hosting with today. And you also get access to all of our excellent substack newsletters and all kinds of other cool stuff. So go check it out, become a subscriber, and buy your Crooked Con tickets Crickedcon dot com. All right, the president is in China glazing Shijinping. He called the communist dictator a quote great leader while dropping some knowledge on his Chinese hosts.
Speaker 3: Chinese restaurants in America today outnumber the five largest fast food chains in the United States all combined.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty big statement.
Speaker 1: Pretty pretty big statement, pretty big statement. Glad he glad he gave them that one. The Beijing leg of Trump's affordability tour puts him out of the country at a moment when the president has never been less popular. After starting a war he can't seem to end that's led to inflation he doesn't seem to care about, which, for some reason he won't stop telling us.
Speaker 2: Can bring up play down is now at its highest level in three years.
Speaker 1: Are your policies not working? What's happening? Need be working? Incredibly, we have a ballroom that's under budgets. We're right now on budget, under.
Speaker 2: Budget and ahead of sketch I double the size of a new dumb person. We're already deluctiating with the rhyme under preject one extent.
Speaker 1: Are mair case financial maintence motivating you to make.
Speaker 2: It meal, not even a little bit. I don't think about American financial situation.
Speaker 1: I don't think about anybody. The best part of that is, like it would have been bad enough if he had just stuck with not at all, because then like, that's still bad. But then you would have had to, like, you know, make sure you heard the reporters question. But then he like does the quote as if it was like, here's the line that if you say it will be a major gaff, and he's like, I will do the whole line. I will just say it. I do not think about american's financial situation. I don't think about anybody.
Speaker 2: The only thing would have been worse if he'd asked them to turn the helicopter engines off first, to could say it.
Speaker 1: So the audio Okay, folks, I'm gonna do one more take. I'm gonna say a little louder and two camera just so it looks better.
Speaker 2: Let me hold this big box of gold right now?
Speaker 1: Why can you get the can you get the unfinished ballroom in the back front shot? In fairness, the one group of Americans whose financial situation Trump keeps improving are democratic ad makers. In the pantheon of gaffes, where do you rank this one?
Speaker 2: Donald Trump has said many offensive and morally odious things over the years, but from a political perspective, this is the worst thing he has said by far, hands down, not even close.
Speaker 1: Do you think so? I mean, god, I can't remember, it's been ten years, but yeah, it's up there for sure.
Speaker 2: It absolutely has to be. And here here's why. Because a lot of Trump's like though terrible things he says, like Nazis are fine people, I trust the Russian intell your trust Russia over our own intelligence agents. All those things which are really really bad things for president to say on every level, are a field from the thing Americans care most about. So right here he is doing the worst kind of gafs are when you say the truth out loud. And that's what this is because what he said was the exact thing that the people who voted for Trump, who have grown disillusion with him and are thinking voted for Democrats fear most that he does not give a shit about them. Yeah, it's like he said, the whole thing, and you just that is our message, like somewhere on a whiteboard and a Democratic superpack is Trump does not care about American people's financial situations. And then he said it. He set our message on camera that's bad.
Speaker 1: Remember, Kamala is for they them, Trump's for you. I guess Trump is not for you.
Speaker 2: No, Trump is not for you. But this is this is see you. This is like when Kamala Harris the two quotes which we'll get to this later, but when Kamala Harris said that Biden nomics were working and when she had no ways in which she was separated herself from Joe Biden. Similar right, when you make a gaff that fits with people's greatest fear about you, those are the gaffs that hurt the most.
Speaker 1: I was thinking whether this was even the worst gaff within the context of all of the terrible, politically stupid gas he's made, within the context of the just affordability, just in that category, because it was like, affordability is a hoax, it's bullshit, it's bullshit, everything's fine, people are okay. If it could be worse gas prices, I mean, there's just so many of them. I do think this nicely encapsulates that aside from anyone policy or him being out of touch with how people are feeling, he actually just doesn't think about.
Speaker 2: It, does not care, could not care less.
Speaker 1: Back to the ballroom, there it's like the advisors are saying, well, he was talking about it was talking about this in the context of Around having a nuclear weapon, and what he was saying is that he doesn't think about America's financial situation in a way that would stop him from doing what he needs to do to stop around from getting a nuclear weapon, which is also funny because he hasn't done that either.
Speaker 2: They still have the uranium dust and our gas prices are really high.
Speaker 1: Zero progress, zero progress since this war. The latest war began in February of twenty eight. Whatever he bombed over last summer is one thing, but like nothing on the nuclear dust since since this war started, so hasn't figured that out. Doesn't think of American's financial situation. It has been funny to watch Republicans respond to this one, which so many of them have been asked to do, including the Vice President and the Speaker of the House and random members of Congress. Let's listen.
Speaker 2: Yes, the President was asking about whether American's financial concerned for motivating to make a deal with the wrong His response was, I don't think about americans financial situations. That's the right message. He doesn't should be considering the financial tool I don't know the context in which he made that comment, but I can tell you the President thinks about the American's financial situations. I'd talked to him on average twice a day, sometimes three or four times a day. I could just kind of give a little clarity to what I think President Trump was saying is, look, he does care about the American people. He does care about the price of the pump.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think the President said that.
Speaker 2: I think that's a misrepresentation to what the President said.
Speaker 1: So good, so good. I like, let me just clarify, let me just clarify. When the President said he doesn't think about americans financial situation, what he actually meant was that he cares about America's financial situation.
Speaker 2: It's like, look, he's an older gentleman, isn't get a lot of sleep. He gets confused sometimes.
Speaker 1: I like that Mike Johnson went to I mean I talked to him two three times a day. It's like, what does that have to do with him caring about American's financial situation. I also enjoyed that there's the question was do you think that's a good message?
Speaker 2: And I don't know the context, but like no one has a narrow media diet than Mike Johnson.
Speaker 1: I feel like every Democratic candidate on the ballot in twenty twenty six should make their Republican opponent.
Speaker 2: Answer for this. Right, it feels like a leading question.
Speaker 1: John I'm just saying, like why I haven't I've mean trying to figure out, like why I haven't seen more of that yet. I mean, I guess you can only really do that in a I guess the place to do that is in a debate, because if you do some video where like I call on my opponent to you know, no one's gonna no one's gonna actually do that. That's not going to get you very far. But I do think would be a good debate moment.
Speaker 2: So I think the way we generally think about this, with the way that question is framed, is like basing this other world of politics that you and I came up in, where these Republicans are out there on the campaign trail. They're being trailed by a pack of experienced local reporters who are waiving recorders and notepads at them, demanding answers sort of like, yeah, well it's that doesn't that's not how the world works anymore, And so that's not like I would like a world like I want every Republican walking down the halls of Congress to be swarmed by the staff of punch Bowl News and demand it they can't leave the Senate subway until they answer this question, Like I would like that. That is good karmic justice. What it's it's and people should use it in debates. The better thing to do here in this media environment is you take the Trump clip, you mix it with a that you then followed up with a bunch of policies that this Republican member supported or is fine with, or has done, or they themselves said that illustrate this larger point that Trump and his Republican flunkies do not give a shit about your financialransituation and to focus on all these other things. And I think that's sort of the way it happens now, like in a campaign, I just like you hear this all the time. I think about this. I always like, why is no one forcing these can'ts ask about it? Because there was no one to force them to do it anymore? Right, there's maybe one reporter trailing them in some of these places.
Speaker 1: You know, I watched the I don't know if you've watched any of these. This is sort of off topic, but I watched the last California gubernatorial debate.
Speaker 2: It seems like they're the CNN one or the Buffy Wicks one.
Speaker 1: Neither the local NBC affiliate one that came after the LA mayor ol debate.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, I watched the CNN one and I watched the Buffy one. Yeah. None of the Buffy Buffy Wick sponsored to housing debates. I know that. I will say that Buffy Wicks is an assembly member California in a friend of ours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I will say that neither the LA mayor Aal debate or the California gubernatorial debate that I watch was very inspiring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you've done if you've done local races, the and it's been a long time, seve have done that. But like these debates are never they're not presidential debates.
Speaker 1: No, they're really not.
Speaker 2: There is not a hard follow up. Yeah, it's a lot of rules.
Speaker 1: Sort of But anyway, anyway, for other people running for Congress, I do think that could be a good moment. But you're right now, I think you throw it in an ad. I think you could be creative whatever we could talk about that forever.
Speaker 4: Pattave America is brought to you by Common Power. We don't need the DNC's top secret election autopsy to tell us that we lost the youth voters at an alarming rate. That is accurate.
Speaker 2: Wow, we'd still like I really know their audience. They really do.
Speaker 4: Research from Tufts University found that Democrats lost a twenty one point advantage in the twenty twenty four presidential election compared to twenty twenty. An important part of that shift came from conservative youth organizations like TPUSA. Since then, Common Power has been on offense with college programming that educates and train students across the nation to volunteer for Democratic candidates and eventually lead the party. Winning the House in the Senate is crucial, and Common Power is the organizing force training and deploying volunteers to doorknock for Democrats across twenty battleground states and over fifty races this year alone. Their travel teams are driven by next generation leaders, and we need your support to fund their travel and efforts to fight for a new America. Oh look, ays, we got to win back young voters. It's after absolute disaster what happened in the last cycle. Votes of America partner with Common Power the twenty twenty four elections and help send hundreds of volunteers to win in important races across the country. They're an amazing partner. They will not waste your time. You'll go out there and you actually do some real good. If you want to support Common Power, the organizing force of volunteers fighting to shift the balance of power in Congress, go to Commonpower dot org slash crooked that's Commonpower dot org slash crooked.
Speaker 1: Potzeve America is brought to you by Mill. In our polarized climate, there's still one thing that unites us all. Dealing with communal, household and office trash sucks the food waste to the the constant overflowing trash cans. That was until Mill just kind of took care of it while we weren't even looking. Mill is the odorless, effortless, fully automated food recycler. Potato peels, avocado pits, chicken bones, even dairy. Mill takes almost anything. While you sleep, Mill quietly transform food scraps into nutrient rich chef stable grounds. No mess, no smells, no fruit flies. Milk can process up to ten pounds overnight, and it can work for weeks before you even have to think about emptying it. You can use the grounds in your garden, add them to curbside compost or milk can even pick them up and get them to a small farm for you. The mill attracts how much food you're keeping out of landfills, and mill has already helped us customers put over fifteen million pounds of food to good use. Mill is sleek, beautiful and looks great in any kitchen, and mil offers a ninety day risk free trial, so if you don't absolutely love it, you can just send it back. We have a mill recycler. We're milling right now in the Crooked kitchen. Apparently we've recycled two hundred and twenty two pounds of food scraps so far, and I'm wondering who did that. Weighing that's about fifty three pounds per month. You think love it to that math? Yeah? Our art director Zev takes the food grounds home to use in her garden.
Speaker 2: What a story.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna NXMCZV. I'm going to ask her how the garden's gone try amil risk free for ninety days and get seventy five dollars off at mill dot com. Slash crooked and use code crooked. That's seventy five dollars off at mill dot com, slash crookeet and use code crooked. The President may not be thinking about American's financial situation, but he's always thinking about his own, and he continues to use the presidency to make himself richer in cartoonishly corrupt ways. Remember the ten billion dollar lawsuit Donald Trump filed against the IRS over his tax returns leaking well. The New York Times reports that Trump's Justice Department might settle the lawsuit any day now, and that quote a settlement payment even a fraction of the size of mister Trump's requested ten billion dollars could be much larger than his other attempts at private gain potential doubling his net worth with our tax dollars.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of these corruption stories are a bit complicated, but this would just be Trump literally just taking the tax dollars we send the government and putting them directly into his pocket. First of all, before we get into like the political implications of this, do you think they'll actually do something so brazenly stupid as this, even by Trump's standards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they might, and I think they'll justify it by saying, look, it's that we didn't do it for ten billion, and we did it for one billion or two billion.
Speaker 1: You think so you'll. Yeah. The other thing that they kind of floated in the story and I couldn't tell. I couldn't tell if this was you know, some reporting that didn't they couldn't bear out yet, which was there's a possibility they might just say no, no financial award goes to Trump from Trump's Justice Department, but that somehow he gets protected from ever being audited again, seems, which is also incredibly corruptive. Course. Yes, but I do think any kind of dollar amount is who fucking nuts, man it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it would have to be let's say it's a let's say it's one million dollars, right, Let's say it's let's say just still stealing. This is a lawsuit where Donald Trump sued Donald Trump, and now Donald Trump is going to settle with Donald Trump to give Donald Trump money, our money.
Speaker 1: Our money.
Speaker 2: He's basically just backing up a truck to the Treasury department and taking our money and giving it to himself. And he's gonna say he's giving it to charity. That's what he said when he was pushed on this in an NBC interview earlier this year. Donald Trump's been lying with giving money charity his whole life. Like this would be the greatest example of presidential coruption in American history by a factor of a thousand. It's just stealing money.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, the easiest to explain. Don't fucking get out your message box on this one, Dan.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't worry, I'll be a message boxing let me.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you. It's just like, uh, he's stealing from us. You go to work, you get a paycheck, they take taxes out of the paycheck. It goes to the government. Now those taxes go in Donald Trump's pocket. He's a thief. He is stealing from US ten billion dollars. He is a crook. That's it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's wild.
Speaker 1: Really. It's also it's like a lawsuit that I mean not to get into the details here, but now that that we've done our top line message, like an IRS contractor leaked all these tax returns of a whole bunch of wealthy people, including Donald Trump to pro Publica. Apparently the guy went to jail for five years over this, and others who had their tax tax returns leaked sued. None of them got any damages. Ken Griffin, the billionaire, he was one of them. He got like a public apology from the irs. There's all kinds of problems with the lawsuits. It's for way too much money. First of all, he doesn't seem to have filed it at the right time, and so there's.
Speaker 2: Only one party of the lawsuit. Well that's the big thing.
Speaker 1: But no, no, I think the big thing is it is It's also clear that if it was Donald Trump suing Joe Biden's federal government or some other president, this lawsuit would he would never get anything from this because it's a fucking phony lawsuit. And the only reason he would win the lawsuit is because he decides the lawsuit, because he is the Justice Department, because the Justice Department is an independent and so he tells them, hey, settle this lawsuit that I filed against us, and I'm going to pocket the cash or I'm going to pretend that I give it to charity. It is unfucking believable. I can't wait. I hope he does it.
Speaker 2: I dollars in taxpayer money, I will you.
Speaker 1: I'll write some kind of a check itself. Not for that much, but I would. I mean, this would be the greatest political gift. Now this is the easiest one. But I know you have thoughts on just in general, how Democrats should be talking about corruption over these next couple months leading into the midterms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, way back in twenty twenty, what am I argument was that the way down before we before Biden was a nominee, were was beginning to run of with Trump twenty nineteen, twenty twenty. My argument was that Democrats should frame the argument against Trump around chaos and corruption. And you were in some of these meetings. Polsters would come to us and they would say, corruption does not work, We've tested it. Voters do not buy the idea or something I don't buy the idea that Trump is corrupt is that it does not move them. It's not new information to them. They are willing to accept a baseline of corruption from Trump is kind of priced into their baseline, and they kind of think all politicians are corrupt. Flash forward to now, even as recently, as early last year, as when Trump was really doing a lot of all this crypto stuff. We heard the same thing in the same polsters that corruption was not a message that worked with swimming voters. And I believe these posters. I believe their data. I just think they are tactically correct and strategically wrong. And there's two things here. The first is corruption. This is a different backdrop. People may be okay with Trump dipping his beak when gases under two dollars a gallon and prices are low and the economy is going good. They feel very differently about it when gas is four to fifty a gallon and the economy sucks. That's a very different There's a very different backdrop to this. That's one two. I think how we use corruption is very important here because I think too often Democrats treated as if we were in a court of law, like we are going to present this evidence. There is the Katari jet, there is the theft of the ten billion dollars. Look at the crypto schemes. We've presented this evidence. Jury of my voter peers, please tell me whether you find the president corrupt, and if you find him corrupt, then we're going to get rid of them. But that's not how it works. Right. The way to think about corruption is to understand that it's a treat corruption as an explanation for why everything sucks. It is the keystone to explain why rich people are getting richer, politically connected people are getting pard ins and gifts and access, and you're getting kicked off your healthcare, you're getting kicked off your food assistants, Why nothing works, why corporations are getting richerf small businesses are hurting, things costing more. It is all because of corruption. Is a corrupt system. It is bigger than Trump. Trump is a part of that system. He is exploiting that system. And if we don't talk about corruption as a party, then what we are doing is we are implying to voters that we're okay with that system because they think we're part of it too.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of Democrats have to do in terms of the positions we have, the policies we advocate for that show that we're willing to take on that system. But if you just refuse to acknowledge this giant elephant in the room that people believe the system is corrupt and it is correct because Donald Trump is showing us every single day. Then you're just leaving so much money on the table, no pun intended.
Speaker 1: How much do you think an actual reform agenda should be part of that?
Speaker 2: I don't think it is credible for the Democratic Party running in twenty twenty six to have a this is our reform agenda. I don't think anyone's going to believe that. I think individual candidates should be running on it, obviously. Like the biggest layup ever that we seem incapable of accomplishing, is banning members of Congress from trading stocks like truly, one of the biggest mistakes of the Biden era was not getting that done when we had the majority. You know, dark money, you know the AOC, And I think, I hate to say this, I think Ted Cruz have this bill that says that members of Congress can't become lobbyist when they leave, Like I think indusial people should have their own to show that they're taking on that system. I think it should be a big part. Like I want our twenty twenty eight candidate to be seen as a reformer, like us Off is doing that in his stuff, right, now, but I don't think there's like a Democratic Party agenda when we get in. If we take the House, one of the things we should do is pass a government ethics, campaign finance reform bill. We know it's going nowhere, but we should show that we want to deliver on it.
Speaker 1: I kind of think that, And I don't know if this is for if we take the House and then just want to pass a bill that is sitting there ready for a Democratic president, or this is the candidates who run in twenty twenty eight who do this. But I think you need a few very big, ambitious, haven't heard before reform ideas that people can grab onto. Both because that's what it takes to get attention in this information environment. And like the stock trading ban is great and obviously pulls through the roof. We get that, but like people have been talking about it for so long, like when is it going to happen? I think the next thing that's going to get attention to someone actually fucking passing the stock trading ban. But how would you stop the corruption we just talked about Donald Trump stealing from the treasury because he controls the Justice Department. Like we're going to figure out a way like this is again this is another conversation, but like the idea that the next Democratic president is just going to be like, well, the Justice Department is independent again and that's gonna prevent the next Trump from doing what he has done with the Justice Department seems a bit fanciful to me. I'm talking like like his story, like we have gone through in these last this term, especially like historic levels of corruption we have never seen in the United States of America, and so it seems like you'll need reform that is also will be reform for the history books that we've never seen in the United States of America too, And I worry that you'll get this like fucking mealy mouth, like you know, just bit by bit reform agenda that is just recycled from Democratic campaigns past.
Speaker 2: I think there's sort of two things in a play here that sometimes get conslated. One and I would say they are related to. One is reforming campaign finance, law lobbying just like government ethics, right, like akin to a version of what Obama ran on in a weight And when Democrats actually passed in two thousand and seven, I think they're six or seven we p and then there is like what do we do with the fact that we that our system is so filled with Swiss cheese that a bad person can exploit it with no consequences? Like how do you ran that in? What can you do to reign in presidential power? Like will a democratic president come in and be willing to rein in their own power in ways that would put them under more screen? And it's hard because the Supreme Court immunity decision makes it hard. Like you say, like what is the Like you could put in place a bunch of different disclosure laws or conflict ind interest laws that apply to the president. You make the Hatch Act apply to the president doesn't currently do There are things like that you could do, and it is but what do you do? What are the teeth right if the president just says fuck you? Like what actually can you do in a world in which the impeachment system does network. When I wrote my book on Trumping America in twenty twenty, I guess it came out twenty twenty, Yeah, right before the pandemic and before the pandemic, and one of the things like this is a big spend a lot of time working on this and why I thought Democrat, both politically, for the for the sake of the party, in the sake of the country. The next Democratic president should do this. The next Democratic president did not do this. But one of the things was repealing the OLC memo, the obviously legal countsl member that said that the president could not be indicted. Now the Supreme Court has because that that's one of the Then the Supreme Court just made that memo case law now, so you can't do that. But we do need to think, like this should be a big part of Project twenty twenty nine or whatever, is thinking about how we how we what like what lessons can we learn from all the bad shit Trump did and how can we stop future president because the system never anticipated someone is craven and corrupt as Trump.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the the easy way to say it and not the message you way to say it. But it's like you got to all the norms got to become laws codify the.
Speaker 2: President. Then that's that's the question. Like you can make the people around him, like there are all these things that you would want to do that are very hard constitutionally.
Speaker 1: What you have to do is is I think right into law because the loophole that the Supreme Court decision gives you is anything that is clearly not an official act he can be prosecuted for. And so you would have to make sure that certain things you have to put into a lot, that certain things that the president does are not are obviously not official acts in the legislation. I think that's I'm not a lawyer, obviously it's good enough for me. It feels like by then some smart lawyers and maybe Claude can help us figure this out.
Speaker 2: Anthropics, you really start paying for this?
Speaker 1: All right, Dan, we're gonna move on. But there's some breaking news on this IRS thing, right from me?
Speaker 2: A draft the case.
Speaker 1: Well, so ABC News is reporting that Trump is poised to settle the case and instead of the ten billion dollars, it's going to be one point seven billion dollars that he still gets. But he's saying it's going to turn into a one point seven billion dollars weaponization fund, so that people, I guess, can sue people who weaponized the government against Trump allies. And I'm sure there'll be a strict oversight over such a fund that of course does go to Donald Trump, and that's that's what will happen there.
Speaker 2: So it's a slush fund for Trump potentially his family and his friends. Uh yeah, that is about right, That is about right, good tax parent dollars.
Speaker 1: The compensation fund is believed to be the main condition for Trump to drop a series of legal blah blah blah. The settlement terms are expected to prohibit Trump from directly receiving payments related to those claims. However, entities associated with Trump are not explicitly barred from filing additional claim sources like his.
Speaker 2: Family and his business who also had their tax releases.
Speaker 1: The proposed funds, which would face significant legal hurdles, would draw money from the Treasury Department's judgment funds. One point seven billion dollars will be coming out of the Treasury in this scenario, going into some slush fund the Donald Trump controls is what.
Speaker 2: You need to know.
Speaker 1: Cool about christ So it is it is some combination of what we what we thought it might be and still yeah, yeah, it's still bad. Still a lot of money. It's a lot of money, one point seven billion dollars, just taking it out of their treasure.
Speaker 4: Pative America is brought to you by fast growing trees.
Speaker 2: All right, we got it.
Speaker 4: You might be skeptical about ordering plants online.
Speaker 2: I'm not symptical at all.
Speaker 4: You're probably thinking, is this thing actually going to show up alive? But after receiving multiple plants here at Crooked HQ, we can say with confidence say, Fast Growing Trees shipping plants down to a science.
Speaker 2: Got they got you.
Speaker 4: They nailed it there. It's hand picked, they're carefully inspected, and they're packaging is designed specifically that keep them secure in transits so they don't get damage. They even have a lab where they test the best packaging materials to protect against cold, heat, humidity.
Speaker 1: More.
Speaker 4: You will not believe how good your plants look when they arrive. Hot ass plants. Plus, every order is backed by their alive and thrive guarantee, so in the off chance you do have any issues with delivery, which you won't, you're covered. Fast Growing Trees is America's largest online nursery with thousands of trees and plants for every space and every climate, and they make it easy to get plants that actually work for your yard delivered right to your door. Look fast gr Injuries.
Speaker 2: They do it all for you.
Speaker 4: They will help you pick out stuff that will survive in your climate. They'll help you keep it alive. They'll send you great stuff.
Speaker 2: Check it out right now.
Speaker 4: They have a great deals on spring planting essentials, and listeners get an additional twenty percent off your first order with the code Crooked at checkout. That's twenty percent off at Fast Growing Trees dot Com with Code Crooked. Terms and conditions they apply.
Speaker 1: So despite all of this, Republicans are still projecting confidence about the midterms, which of course could be bullshit. Of course they project confidence, but the one thing they can legitimately point to is the success they're having gerrymandering the maps courtesy of again the Supreme Court. Some new developments there. South Carolina now looks like it will redistrict, even though a handful of Republicans joined Democrats to vote down the idea earlier this week. The governor's going to call a special session that will apparently require only a simple majority.
Speaker 2: So that's not good news.
Speaker 1: Louisiana advanced its Plan two, but they're getting rid of one democratic district, not too so slight good news there on the democratic side. Maryland may now move to redistrict the cycle. After all, the Senate president there, who would oppose the idea is now and talks about it with Governor Wes Moore. So fingers crossed there. Mississippi and Georgia will both redraw their maps, but not till twenty twenty eight, so that's temporary. Good news, would be. Speaker Hakeem Jeffries has announced a no more mister nice guy approach, pushing every blue state to redistrict by twenty twenty eight and promising to shame any Democrat who resists. And he also is sharpening the rhetoric on Republicans. He promised this week to quote crush their souls. Okay, then there's Kamala Harris who popped up on an organizing call about redistricting with this advice.
Speaker 3: I think that we need an expanded playbook. This is a moment where they're are no bad ideas, no bad idea.
Speaker 2: Brainstorm is what I'd like to call it.
Speaker 3: We talk about what we need to do and think about doing around the electoral College. We talk about the idea of Supreme Court reform, which includes expanding the Supreme Court. We invite a conversation about multi members districts. Let's talk about state look for Puerto Rico and DC. We've got to neutralize these red states from cheating, including blue states expanding their maps.
Speaker 1: So that was Kamala Harris zooming in from nowhere. Let's have a let's have a no bad ideas brainstorm, Dan, Okay, do you have you.
Speaker 2: Been a part of many of them that it's not possible there are bad ideas in a brainstorm. I've heard many of them.
Speaker 1: There are many many Sometimes they sometimes they leave the brainstorm and then we're sat.
Speaker 2: In fact saying that just usuallylicits more bad ideas. People should have a little bit of fear of what they said just in a meeting.
Speaker 1: What is anyway talk to talk to Kamala Harris's team about the back draw anyway, This was.
Speaker 2: Not a media event. She was zooming into UH right Urge, which is an organization that recruits in trans women candidates.
Speaker 1: I believe so good she's out there chatting, we like it. What do you make of both the democratic counter attack plan in the short term and then some of the longer term UH stuff that Kamala was talking about there.
Speaker 2: We have to recognize that we are now because of the Supreme Court, we are now in a state of perpetual political warfare. The maps will be redrawn every cycle and at every time when there's a change in power. So if we have a traffect in Oregon now and we redraw the maps, Republicans get a triffective two years, four years, six years later, they'll redraw the maps again, and we're just going to live like this and it's going to be that way up until the moment Congress passes a ban on partisan jerry mannering. And so we have to approach this fight with the attitude I think he King Jarvison is bringing in it, which is we need a maximum approach. We have to use every single lever of power we have. If you if there's an opportunity to draw more Democratic districts and one of these blue states, we have to do it. If we have to repeal or find clever legal workarounds for anti jerry mandering laws and amendments, then we must do that, because as we can already see, Republicans are wasting no time. They're leaving no stone unturned to find extra seats. And we hate your I hate jerry manoring. You hate Jerry mannering. Democrats hate jerry mannering. This sucks like so the you know you guys joked about the or you discussed and joked a little bit about the the plan in Virginia to retire all the justices and put new ones in. And that does seem extreme, and was I think for a variety of reasons, uh, logistically unworkable this time.
Speaker 1: Honest reasons.
Speaker 2: Apparently yes, yes, but even I yes, it's confusing. But either that sort of idea, I hate to say, this has to be on the table. That idea is no dumber or worse than just packing the Supreme Court ads they've done in Florida and Utah in other places.
Speaker 1: Or like throwing out votes in an election that had already happened in Louisiana.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's like we just I don't want to do those things, but we have to be we have to think like that because we are. We're now in a total war for democracy. The Republicans are trying to they're just they're just eliminating black districts across the country. You know, when this is all said and done, thirty percent of the Black Caucus could either just they didn't lose election, their districts just be written out of existence. Because the pre Supreme Court says that racial jerrymandering was okay, and we have to have a very aggressive attitude a bed. So that's the short term. Over the long term, you know, this gets into the conversation we just had about how you reign in political power from you know, incruption from Trump is we do need to think about how when we have power, how to use that power to protect democracy and fight fascism. And the way to do that you have to make the country more democratic. That means getting rid of the filibuster. That means giving DC statehood. It means giving Puerto Rico the opportunity for state of shit. If the people of Venezuela want to join America. Giving Trump's report ratings right there, we'll take them too.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The cool it is, you know, court reform, as Kama Harris mentioned, including an expansion or certainly turn limits, would be very helpful. And there are creative ways that I think you can get around some of the constitutional language on turn limits. But we all these things should be on the table because Republicans are exploiting the loopholes in our system, and they're doing it ruthlessly and relentlessly, and we have to find ways to and the system cannot work. The whole thing falls apart if the popular will of the people is denied because of a handful of justices who are put on the court by Donald Trump, a guy who only won the popular vote once. Over the course of you know, they're still ruling this way decades later. Like, we have to think really hard about how we reform our system and fix our democracy, and we should be willing to expand political capital to do that.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't think we should run on that message right now, That's not what I'm arguing, But I think when we're in power, we have to look at that very seriously.
Speaker 1: Well. But I also think there's an expectation setting here too that I think is a challenge because we just talked about and you just talked about sort of jerrymandering or redrawing maps. If we have a trifecta in a blue state and like the same breath as you know, Supreme Court expansion, right, And I think that we have to divide all of these reforms into reforms that we can do because we have power now in certain places, and reforms that we can only do if we a mass power that is much more power than we have right now.
Speaker 2: Which we can only do if we do the We can only do the latter if we do the former.
Speaker 1: Well, right, well, that's also true. I mean they go hand in hand. But like you know, you really can't blame any Blue states right now for except for Maryland. This this one guy in Maryland who's like the state Senate president I think, yeah, who has refused to do this. So as of right now in the calendar, like he's the only one who's not doing what he could do with the power that they have in Maryland. Right then you sort of wonder, like if you're looking back and it's too late now, but could Illinois have done redistrict in this time around if they jumped on it maybe like did Pritzker make a mistake there? I don't know, I don't know why they didn't do it, but like you know, it's it's too late now, but like that was one state Colorado too, Like did they miss the miss the chance on this? I do think there's a series. And then New York. I think there was like more of a legal thing. But look for between now and twenty twenty eight. You think I get yet New York, you got Illinois?
Speaker 2: I think you got.
Speaker 1: Wisconsin maybe, which is gonna be tougher because there's a Republican legislature there, But I don't know what Evers can do. Or Pennsylvania is an option, Pennsylvania is an option, Colorado will be an option.
Speaker 2: It's Maryland, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Colorado, New York, New Jersey maybe. Yeah, I think I may be missing. Well, there's a list of state I think you'll get you well over a dozen new seats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so all that, all those all those states got to move, for sure, And if they don't move, then they deserve all the pressure and all the criticism that they have coming to them for sure.
Speaker 2: This is hard because what happens sometimes when you redraw the districts is you take these compacted districts that off that are largely their urban districts, usually made up of a large segment of the black population they have, and then you you basically do the reverse of what Republicans do, which and then you divide that district in several ways and put some of those black voters into the into these these swing districts and make them more democratic. And you do and this is one of the things that has even New York has already set who already been reporting that New York may not take a maximus approach to this in twenty twenty eight because there's fear that will reduce New York's black representation in Congress. So we really have to wrestle with that and figure that out. But ultimately it's not good for anyone if Republicans just call control Congress add infinitum, because we don't draw the districts in the right way. Yeah, because you know, like you guys are doing the math on Tuesday's podcast, and you know, and I like, the political environment still suggest Democrats will take the majority, but this is a historically good political environment. We're not going to have that every time. And if we can only have the House when the president is at the Republican president's at thirty eight percent and saying insane shit all the time while involved in it protracted more in the Middle East, we're not going to have the House that often, which means we're not going to govern that often. It reduces the chance that a democratic president has a governing trifect to actually get shit done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I was, I was doing the math on this before we started, and I looked at the cook political and you tell me if my calculation is wrong on this. But if we if Democrats win all the toss ups and all the lean ours, which is pretty be pretty good. But like in a big blue you know, that means we get thirteen seats, We flip thirteen seats. And for that I was saying that if that's if Republicans then win all the likely ours and all the solid rs. And of course there are now some blue seats in solid R and likely are because of the because of the redistricting. But so like winning all the toss ups and all the lean ours and only netting thirteen seats is like not, it's not great.
Speaker 2: We didn't win all the lean rs and all the toss ups in twenty.
Speaker 1: Eighteen, right exactly, so it'd have to be a better environment than twenty eighteen, which it might be. But like still now to your to the broader national reforms, which again like we are not going to win this on a long term, on a state by state basis, Like you have to have national reforms. National reforms the only way now you know, federal legislation is the only way to stop jerry mandering everywhere it's the only way to change the electoral College, it's the only way to change the Supreme Court. And in order to do that, it really comes down to, like, can we field candidates that win Senate seats in this cycle at least Alaska, Texas, Iowa, Ohio. And people might say, oh, those are some hard states. It doesn't get easier than those doesn't get easy. And so if we're fielding candidates who can't figure out a way to win in those states, and we're not focused on how to win in those states, then no one should be talking about all the other reforms because they're never going to get done. And one thing I do worry about is that for people who don't pay those attention to politics, they're like, well, why won't the Democrats pack the court? Why won't the Democrats do this? Why want the Democrats do this? Well, they can't because we didn't win the Senate, and we didn't win the Senate because we couldn't have a can We didn't get a candidate who could win Texas or could win Iowa, or so I only say that to tell people that, like, we really have to focus on winning very difficult states, which we have a good chance of doing this in this environment with these candidates Mary Peltola and Alaska and James Hillerico in Texas. You can go on and on, but like those are the kind of those are the states that aren't just nice to win, like we have to win if we ever hope to have these national reforms.
Speaker 2: There's a longer conversation and it's a quite depressing conversation about the state of the Senate map because if you sort of look at it.
Speaker 1: But it's like that's everything. That's all the stuff we're talking about, all the anger over the vs. The Voting Rights Act and the Supreme Court, all this shit, it all comes down to the Senate.
Speaker 2: Nop and I mean exactly right. And so if you look at the Senate map, I'm doing this off the top of my head, but there are only two Republicans in states like in set remaining in truly swing states, and it's Ron Johnson and Wisconsin and Dave McCormick in Pennsylvania. Yep. Because we have both senators in Michigan, we have both senators in Arizona, we have both senators in Georgia.
Speaker 1: And it's like, and this is the map in twenty twenty six, where we are expanding into Alaska. This is why I think Mary Potola's race is so important. Like if we can now put Alaska in the column, then perhaps then if Murkowski retires at some point, maybe we can get the other seat there.
Speaker 2: So now we have that.
Speaker 1: But like it's it's everyone's looking at Texas, like, oh, Democrats always they always dream about Texas, but it never happens, and it's a lot it's really expensive. So it was like, well, there's not a lot of other options.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, like we're.
Speaker 1: Going to have to win Texas if we hope to survive as a democracy. Fortunately in Florida too, Like I mean, this is just unless we want a bunch of liberals move into Wyoming and fucking Montana.
Speaker 2: Which honestly, it's the highest leverage play that Democrats could do. Them just to move to Wyoming, move fifty thousand, one hundred thousand Californians to look Jackson's beautiful there to Wyoming, do it after the twenty thirty census is completed, so that we don't lose even more electoral votes, and then go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a you know what, No, hey, you know what this was a no bad ideas brainstorm there.
Speaker 2: You know, there could have been bad ideas, but there weren't.
Speaker 1: At least well, that's what we're gonna call it, that they could be bad ideas in there.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Potive America is brought you by zip Recruiter. If you're hiring, you want to can't who's passionate about your role? But you can't get that insight from a resume unless you post your job on ZipRecruiter. Ziprecruiter's powerful matching technology finds qualified candidates quickly, and ZipRecruiter has a new feature that shows you the most interested qualified candidates first, so you meet the right people faster. Candidates can tell you in their own words why they're interested in your job, no wonder. ZipRecruiter is the number one rated hiring site based on G two.
Speaker 4: John, I think the Trump administration has shown us the downside of choosing the wrong people for your job.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. You end up Pash would have gotten through with ZipRecruiter.
Speaker 4: End up with a cash mattel. You end up what's the second def guy's name again?
Speaker 2: Jeez? He thank you?
Speaker 4: Hegseeth a bunch of idiots with ZipRecruiter. That's never gonna happen. You know why, because they are going to use their powerful matching technology to find you qualified candidates at the jump, So you're only looking at qualified candidates and not morons.
Speaker 2: I mean, we do want do we want the administration to have better people? I don't know anymore. I can't tell either way.
Speaker 1: If you want, if you want better people, to get ZipRecruiter, find candidates who really want your job on zippercut. Four out of five employers who post on ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate within the first day. Try it for free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash crooked. That's ZipRecruiter dot com slash crooked. Meet your match on ZipRecruiter. All right, so, one of the architects of the redistricting strategy, Trump political director James Blair, is about to take a leave from the White House to run the midterm operation full time. Like any good Beltweit strategists, He marked the occasion by conducting a lengthy interview with Dasha Burns at Playbook about his plans, which were then transcribed and he summed them up as attack, attack, attack, and his key quote swing voters already think the Democratic Party is too far left, and we're going to make sure voters know just how far left they are. They are woke, weak, and way too liberal. You get three w's, you always need a literation. He knew that liberal one at the end needed a way because you need the three w's. That's otherwise it's not a good slogan, and the whole country be reminded of that. He also told Doctor Burns that Democratic primaries and infighting are doing real damage to the party and that.
Speaker 2: He plans to capitalize on that.
Speaker 1: Seems like that's a play for social media to get everyone fighting even more, but we can leave that aside. If I'm not mistaken. Message box pro subscribers have already seen your take on this, Dan, But for those who have not visited messageboxpro dot com to lock in the special early sign up price before it's too eight of that for a organic plug.
Speaker 2: That's organic, and I'm going to make even organic in a second.
Speaker 1: Yes, how do you think Democrats should be prepared to respond to the week woken, way too liberal attack?
Speaker 2: Well, John, great question and great opportunity to talk about mesae box pro, So thank you for that. Wonderful. Some of you may remember a few weeks ago I lauched message box Pro, which is a subscription service for people who are working politics and communications at any level. And subscribers get weekly strategy memos from me, data driven insights on what to say, advice on how to get your message heard, pulling analysis, and access to a community of candidates, operatives, activists and organizers nerds, nerds. Some are nerds, some are quite cool. The real nerds are not subscribers for the word and we are up and running. We've already have strategy memos out on where swing voters get their information on how to construct a narrative, for a coherent, cohesive narrative for this election. You know what the latest pulling on the economy says.
Speaker 1: And what to do with it.
Speaker 2: And the message box Pro community is up and running, and it's truly amazing. If all these people in there every day, connecting, sharing best practices, They're posting their questions for me, I'm answering them every day. It's like, it's really awesome. I'm really excited about it. And as you mentioned, there is a special founding members discount of price of forty nine to ninety nine a month forever. It locks in forever, no matter how much Trump's racist prices and everything else. You get to lock this in this price in. They're only a handful of those left, so there is no better time to sign up than now. So go to message boxpro dot com. End of quasi organic plug. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give a quasi organic plug on a plug here. I was doing a fundraising event where I was moderating for a couple house candidates in this cycle, and and they're in the you know, the red to Blue program, and they could they could flip their seats. And they said to the crowd that because the like, you know, the D trip offers them financial support and all the support that the D trip can, but like they're not getting detailed campaign advice. They're not getting detailed strategy advice. It is hard to hire polsters strategists, right, You've got your like very small team if you're running a house campaign. And so they were like, we listened to podzave America a lot to try to get like we to try to get advice. And I'm like, oh gosh, now, I'm sorry, we gonna We're gonna make sure we get some no if we can't have too many no bad ideas brainstorms here. But our friend Dan here doesn't just spout off ideas on the pod. He's going to write them down in memos, precisely for candidates like this who can't afford to hire fancy consultants. But Dan can provide his wisdom in written form to all of you who are running for office, especially and that's our house candidates. What about people whore running for like local office and races that are even smaller than that, and and and they definitely can't afford to have these consultants. So I think it's a fantastic service that you're doing this. I think it's very much needed. And if you are someone who's running for office out there or working for someone who's running for office and think this would be a very very valuable use of your money.
Speaker 2: Well thank you for that double on quasi organic pluck. But now now I ask your original question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I forgot, forgot I ask the question.
Speaker 2: So let's the question relates to James Blair. Yes, woke week and way too liberal, that's it. And so basically, what James Blair is doing here other than just puffing his chest in a political interview, is trying to rerun the twenty twenty four strategy in twenty twenty six. Now I have bad news for mister Blair. Is not twenty twenty four anymore. The world has changed. His views of Trump have changed. In twenty twenty four, Trump was seen as strong. I'm seen as much stronger than Biden, much stronger than Kamala Harris. Democrats were seen as the extreme party that has flipped. Pluralities of voters now described Trump's leadership as weak. There's a Tip poll from last week which shows that a large number of Independence describe his leadership as week. He has not seen as a strong man anymore, in part because he is doddling around out there. He's not getting anything done, he's sleeping at events. He just seems distracted enough. He doesn't seem like a strong figure because he promised to take on the system and he really didn't do any of that. And even while I'm not saying the Democrats have we are associated with American flags, baseball, and apple pie right now, but voters now, because of the way Trump is governed, voters now see the Republican Party is more extreme In the Cook Political Report poll of the thirty two battleground districts, more voters are worried about Republican extremism than Democratic extremism. So, like, I'm not saying that this that this strategy can't have some some effect. It can. It's more likely to have an effect in ginning up GEOP turnout then persuading swing voters, but it is not. Maybe it's the only strategy available to them with a president with these approval ratings, saying on the dumb shitty saying, but it's not necessarily a winning strategy.
Speaker 1: You get one of these attacks if you're running in a Senate race or a house race, run a bunch of ads that you, you know, some crazy position you've taken in the past, and you're weak and you're two woke and all that kind of shit. Do you how do you respond? You respond to the attack, you ignore the attack, or you do the They're just doing this because they have nothing to say about the fact that you can't afford gas and rent and your mortgage.
Speaker 2: You don't do that last one. But I think the way to think about this is they we're six months from the election, there aren't really adds on the air. In any of these races. They've told us what the plan is, so you can prepare for it. So you spend that between now and then inoculating yourself against that attack. And there are a couple of ways to do that. One is, this is an attack on generic Democrats. Don't be a generic Democrat. Find ways to separate yourself from the party. You can do that going to the middle. You can do that, going to the left. Depending on your district, you can do that by criticizing the former president. You can do that by criticizing the leadership. Run again. Be willing to run against the democratic establishment. That will help inoculate you against an attack on generic Democrats. So that's one. Two is the way you demonstrate strength is not trying to talk tougher on immigration or crime than Trump, although you should. Those are issues in your race. You should have positions on them that show that you take people's concerns about them seriously. The way you show strength is to show that you are a fighter right. How you fight is more important than whether you fight after, you fight right or you fight middle. It is that you are fighting for something, So look for ways to highlight that. About yourself and go on offense and attack the other side as extreme and demonstrate their extremism.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, good advice and gets more of that advice at message box per dot com. All right, while we're talking about democratic strategy, there's been some developments around the DNC autopsy report in which we have taken great interest. The chair of the DNC less so The AP reporter on Wednesday that quote, Democratic operatives have begun informal discussions about recruiting a new chair, and that senior strategists have even approached our pal, Amanda Littman, founder of Run for something about the job, though she has declined. They also interviewed. The AP also interviewed current and former party officials who defended Ken Martin said his job is safe and are apparently mad at us for asking him why he hasn't kept his promise to release the autopsy. Then on Thursday, our friends at The Bulwark published a piece from former Biden Harris deputy campaign manager Rob Flaherty titled Here's what I told the d n C autopsy. We've talked to Rob before. He's been on an offline. I feel like he's been on the pot at some point. Ye, it's a long piece, long long piece, but especially if you're working on campaigns, if you're an operative, if you're in the field, if you're volunteers. Plenty of interesting insights that we can get into, but one notable thing I want to highlight. Rob writes that his understanding of the autopsy mystery is that quote, no autopsy was released because there is no actual autopsy. The members of the autopsy team were in over their heads and struggle to put the thing together. What they produced was a loose summary of a bunch of interviews that were largely done without talking to the campaign or the big spenders.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: Now, Tommy and love it and I sort of talked about this a little after the Ken Martin interview. Tommy had heard similar reports. I had heard similar reports from people from different people. So this is just more corroboration of that from Rob who was interviewed by the autopsy team and then his autopsy. We know what he told him was never win anywhere, and so he published this piece. Your reactions to Rob's piece and also the continued frustrations with Ken Martin and the missing autopsy.
Speaker 2: This is the great title for a Hardy Voice Book. The Autopsy DNC Ken Martin conversation is so frustrating because it's very clear what happened here right like there is Ken Martin promised to do an autopsy. The people who he picked through the autopsy did a piss poor job. There is no autopsy. He looked at that. What that was say we cannot release this, it would be embarrassing. And now he's under He's out there saying we can't release the autopsy, but there's no autopsy, so we can't solve the problem because what he can't do because he has not been Like the easiest thing to do would be to say to do it right the first time, which would have been cool.
Speaker 1: That's number one, Yeah, number one.
Speaker 2: Failing that, to just be honest and say it needs more time, and you would have taken some shit for that, but that is better. But then to say it's finished, it's in a drawer. It's incredibly useful. Look at the playbook we use based on it, Well, will you release it? Well, we can't release it because it doesn't exist, and so we're just like it's a never anything. He's he's basically lied himself into a corner. Here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah he has. And this is what this is what's so enraging about it, because, like you said, would he have taken some shit if when they said the autopsy was going to be released he said, you know what, it's it's not ready. We need more time. You know, there's a whole Yeah. But like if I had interviewed him then and he said that to me, even if he said it to me when I interviewed him a couple weeks ago, if he was like, you know what, I know, I said, we were going to release it.
Speaker 2: I know people want it.
Speaker 1: We're gonna the midterms are coming and we're going to be working on it, and then you know, the day after the midterms we will release full one because it'll be you know, we're going to head into primary season then and then for campaign running for president. They can learn lessons then and we're gonna do that. I would have been like, oh, okay, cool, instead of what he's dealing with right now. And it is the thing that everyone's like, oh, the autops the autopsy. Who's obsessedive the autopsy is not the fucking I mean, it is the point, because I think it is. It is very useful but it is the like the theoretically useful, but it's the dishonesty that is that is really crazy right now, and on on Rob's thing, like, so what we have here and this is Rob's thing in relation to to Ken's answers, we have a single senior Biden Harris official wrote his own autopsy that includes more info and more lessons than anything Ken Martin's DNC has released. And you know, contrary to what Ken tried to tell me, like the world hasn't ended, Democrats aren't tearing themselves apart over it. Rob writes that some of his own colleagues like disagree with some of the things that he concluded in there. Fine, they can write their own people can debate it, figure out the best way to move forward so we can win. We're all big boys and girls like we can all be trusted with the information. And what it seems like for every time Ken Martin talks about this and now some other DNC officials former and current that are defending him, is that like they don't believe that we should be trusted with the information. They don't think that we should have it. They they in Kemarton either things that we're stupid or that we don't deserve the full truth, and either option is completely unacceptable for the person who's running the Democratic National Committee. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so the whole thing is just so stupid and pointless because we didn't have to be here, Like what matters? A lot of people say, like, what are you going to learn from this autopsy? But even it was perfectly done, that's to me beside the point. Yes, what bothers me about this is that the way the autopsy has been handled is indicative of the larger problems at the DNC. And you hear this from a lot of people in the party, donors, operatives, elected officials. Very few people are happy with the way things that are going to the DNC. They're not happy with how the money's been spent, and I'm happy with little's being raised and we, like Ken Martin with you can debate all the factors of it, but there is dissatisfaction. There is, and there are challenges in the leadership and is formas a topics, So like what do you do about that? Can you get a new DNC chair? I don't know, It's not a particularly easy thing to do. Apparently the big problem is not the rules in getting rid of the DNC chair. It's finding someone who will take the job because the job sucks and it's very very hard, and Ken Martin was delt a very very very tough hand with and you know, it's just the whole thing is dumb.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the problems with the DNC and the lack of transparency and the dishonesty from Ken are also I think emblematic of a larger issue with the Democratic establishment. And this goes back to Rob's piece. Rob, who was one of Biden's most senior staffers, writes in the piece, quote President Biden never should have run for reelection in the first place.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: Now, like credit to Rob for admitting that, and also for ignoring that when he publicly made the case after the Biden Trump debate that Biden was still the only person who could beat Trump. And the rest of us who thought otherwise were you know, self important, bedwetters, self.
Speaker 2: Important podcasters were all civic words, and.
Speaker 1: I was combining to it was also and then everyone else is the bed wedding brigade. So beyond podcasters, anyone who thought that, anyone who thought that maybe that debate was bad and maybe Joe Biden should set aside was part of the bed wedding brigade, which I guess included most Americans and basically and robbed his credit. And the thing says he was basically just trying to be a team player because he was on the campaign. It's like, that's fine. But the recenting I bring that up is I promise not to relitigate old beefs, but I don't think.
Speaker 2: Let's do Let's do this entire section on Ken Martin and the guy who wrote the email that called this self important podcasters. But the goal is not to relitigate on beat.
Speaker 1: No, and this is what everyone should read, right. And I want to talk about some of robs insights because I think they're great, and Rob and I have talked about it privately, so it's not like this is the first time this is happening. But I do not think that the Democratic establishment has fully reckoned with the magnitude of the credibility problem that it has with voters. And a big reason why is that a whole bunch of them tried to tell us with a straight face that Joe Biden was fine and the debate wasn't that bad, and he was still the only person who could beat Donald Trump. And now Ken Martin is trying to tell us with the state straight face that actually he has been releasing the lessons from twenty twenty four and we're all assholes for wanting the full autopsy. And the DNC's finances are totally fine. And if people in the Democratic establishment who work on campaigns, candidates, officials, if they want to keep doing that shit, fine, But don't be surprised when people don't believe what you say about politics. It's just like and like it's like there is a credibility problem here. And I get we've been on the inside and I get it, and you're on a team and you just you've got to like anyone who criticizes you, their bedworders and all that bullshit, but like you have to forget about the people criticizing. You have to think about beyond that what the voters think, and don't treat voters like they're stupid. Like people know when you're lying to them. Like everyone, like everyone knew that Ken Martin wasn't telling the truth in that interview. It was pretty obvious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that there's there are two different things. Yeah, that was the big problem. There's a different way in which the interview goes, where Ken Martin comes on. He gives his answer and is not defensive about it and and doesn't keep trying. He basically kept trying to tell you that he actually, for all intents and purposes released the autopsy, so you should stop asking about it. And that's that's how he ended up down this rabbit hole which you can kno get himself out of. I guess the only thing I would add this and if you want to talk, if you want to talk about the recommendtions and Rob's report, which I think it is quite good, but I just think the one just to put a button on it. And I say this and with good nature, is that Rob who call this self important podcasters in that email discuss the autopsy today on his podcast.
Speaker 1: Which Rab is self aware enough to make jokes about, which is great. Yes, which is which is totally fine. Again, it's call us whatever the fuck you want, but it's just weird about that.
Speaker 2: The whole, the whole great for us in the long run, right.
Speaker 1: Joe Biden not stepping aside cost us all a lot, right, all of us and not forget about us, but lots of people. I'm fine, but like the whole country collectively, collectiveness, and that's what I met, Yes, collectively, And I think, you know, part of the autopsy is not like, oh well Biden's gone whatever, but it is the the Ken Martin thing. And I think the reason I was so exercised about it is that, like it was like PTSD from twenty twenty four, where the Democratic Party is like, all is fine, don't believe your eyes, everything is good here, leave it to us, we got it, and you're all you're all bedwetters. So what do you think some of some of their recommendations and insights from Rob's memo, Like what's what stood out at you?
Speaker 2: So what I worried a little bit about just sort of twenty twenty four lessons in general in the autopsy is twenty twenty four is somewhat of a black Swan event. Right. You have Biden, you have this older candidate who does not leave, then face plants on a debate stage, and then they just throw the vice president with one hundred seven days to go against someone like Donald Trump, who then gets shot in the ear.
Speaker 1: Like you know, it's just you know, like every like a tough series of events, tough.
Speaker 2: Series events that are not gonna you know, knock on what happened again? And so like, there is this world in which you could take the wrong lessons from something like that, or you could just throw up your arms and say it was one hundred and seven days we were fucked. Inflation was high. What I thought was useful about Rob's was I think some of the lessons in there are useful for campaigns going forward in terms of how you think about communicating in this media age, Like even in you know, even he makes a point that the campaign spent half as much on digital s on TV, which was a dramatic shift from twenty twenty when it was seventy thirty digital seventy thirty TV digital, I believe. But TV was sort of the sort of the still the dominant medium, right. It was really how it drove is where the campaigns, the messaging they truly believed in went. It sort of was how they thought about the campaign strategy. And I thought just thinking about like, you know, almost not not getting rid of all TV ads, but shifting the focus more digital. The one thing I thought he said the end that was very smart was and this is something that I think it's smart because I agree with it, have been arguing for it for years. Is that you have to digital. Should no longer be an apartment in a campaign. It's all digital, and I think that we really have to just think that way. And there's a lot of very specific things about how you deal with creators and how to think about branding and all of that, and something that there are unanswerable questions about how and we're getting really nerd to hear how you think about digital persuasion in an algorithmically powered world that only shows people on the content they already agree with.
Speaker 1: Yes, we had the debate and million times throughout the twenty twenty four campaign about what is polling well and testing well? And the people who test these ads and they test it with like not just three hundred voters in some shitty public poll, but like thousands and thousands of voters and like with you know, and they're like, these are these are really great testing messages. And yet you know, Kamala Harris talking about fascism or this or that or brat summer all the bullshit, and Rob talks about this in terms of brand and I hate the word brand. It's icky, but I think it is useful in this context. Yeah, yeah, I get it, but he says, at one point, you know, we could have focused more on prescription drugs or whatever the top polling issue was, but that would have been driving a message when we should have been building a brand. A brand is a story about who you are and what you believe. That everything else, the ads, the organic contact, the surrogates, the creator appearances, the events levels up to I think this is I think that is so important, and I worry sometimes that when we and this is like I think a legacy of when we grew up in politics, which was like you get the polling back, you get the messaging. These are the top polling messages. We must get these messages out because they work with voters. But voters are never going to fucking hear these messages anymore if they are boring, if they don't tell a story about the candidate. Maybe they'll hear the messages, but they won't be persuasive as to voting for the actual candidate because they may like the message, but they may not like the candidate delivering the message, or may not trust the candidate delivering the message, and so everything has to level up to who is this person, what do they stand for? Why are they running for president? So much of what Rob's memo made me think is that like just the importance of the candidates themselves.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, but like you think that's fucking obvious, Dan, but it's clearly not. It's clearly not in our party because we do all this stuff around the candidates, give them good ads, good messaging, this that the campaign staff we blame for this, that, But it's like if you don't, I mean, at one point he talks about he says, digital presence is a direct reflection of a candidate's brand. It's how voters come to understand who a candidate is. For this to work, the candidate needs to be actively engaged in the planning and execution of their social media presence. And Rob tells a story about when AOC endorse Biden. He like talked to AOC for like forty five minutes about and she had like detailed ideas about digital, about how she wanted her, the videos they did with her, what she wanted to say, all this kind of stuff. And then he said, when he worked for Beto back when Beto ran, Beto was like the same way when when Beto was like going viral and all that kind of stuff. And this is the same thing that I say a million times with speechwriting, right, which is like, because Barack Obama was so involved in his speeches and because I spent enough time with him, that's the only reason I was able to help him deliver good speeches. And I think on a lot of campaigns the candidate looks to the staff and the consultants and is like, all right, make me a winner. And I just don't think you can do that now. I think if you were going especially if you're going to run for president, you need to know exactly what you believe, exactly why you want to be president, and you need to be able to communicate that, if not first to the American people, to at least your staff on a regular basis.
Speaker 2: And I just don't think that has happened in a while. This has been an unpopular suggestion that I often offered a candidate's when I talk to him, and this tries the staff fucking bananas. But if you were thinking of running for president right now, and you do not have TikTok Instagram on your phone and you're not going to YouTube and just watching it, then you should not run. And maybe you want to put on a burner becase you don't necessarily want the Chinese government Sociallarry Elson to have all your shit. But point bing is you have to be you have to be fluent in the language of today's media ecosystem to understand it. And it can't just be that you're you know, Rob makes this in the point, You can't. It can't just be that your staff walks in and gives you a quick five minute briefing and a memo on what you're supposed to do because you don't understand it. When they relaunched the hqbak out as Headquarters or whatever it is now, that was the Kamlay HQ and Kamala Harris did this briefing, she did a video for it. She clearly had no idea what it was or what it was going to do.
Speaker 1: But that is unfortunately, that is a lot of Kamala Harris's appearances.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to swim in the sometimes very rough and dirty seas of today's Internet to be able to truly communicate.
Speaker 1: I was going to say when you said, sit down and make sure you have all those on your phone. Yes. I think the other thing you need to do is before you even meet with your advisors. Like, and this sounds maybe cheesy and a little antiquated, but I don't know, write down, type out why you want to be president, what you want to do. Do you have a few big ideas, like actual big ideas, not like I want to grow the middle class. I want I want to bring down costs?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, like like people didn't like it. It was controversial. Everyone knew what it was. By the end, freeze the rent free public buses like like, uh, if you want someone more moderate, Gretchen Whitmer when she was running in Michigan, fix the damn roads, right, Like, just pick fucking something that you actually want to do that you will be able to talk about and communicate about in an authentic way on all of those platforms that you are also watching because they're on your phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you do not know why you're running, you can't answer that. What the what is known once known as the Ted Kennedy question because he failed to answer it. Yeah, in the eighty race, then you shouldn't run but then then all the time will tik. That's not gonna help you.
Speaker 1: Then you're just consuming content, You're just doom scrolling. Anyway, go read it. It's at the bulwark. I'm glad Rob did it. Good for him, and other people should do the same, because I guess we're not going to get it out of the DNC. All right, one last story before we go. The new gold statue of Donald Trump that was gifted to the president by crypto grifters and blessed by his spiritual advisor and pastor, who has repeatedly claimed that quote, this is not a golden calf, but rather a symbol of resilience and gratitude to God for sparing Trump's life from a sniper's bullet in Butler, all of that is real. That is a real thing that happened. And earlier in the week, Trump himself couldn't make it to the statue dedication, which was I believe it his durl golf Club, but he did call into the ceremony with this observation.
Speaker 4: It's everybody who's taking pictures of it, everybody who's people told me that it's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: All day long, they're taking pictures.
Speaker 4: They stand up next to it and they have been picture taking.
Speaker 1: It is unbelievable. He is correct about that. I would definitely take a picture next to it. The Palm Beach Post interviewed a bunch of PGA pros who were at Durrell for a tournament. Best response, it's big and gold about all I got. It's his place. He can do whatever he wants.
Speaker 2: I guess that's true. It's big and gold. He can do whatever he wants.
Speaker 1: What did you think of this one?
Speaker 2: Just so fucking weird. It's so weird, Like I want every person in America to see this, like it is a just the idea that the president just I want you to think about this for a second. We're at war, prices are high, going great. Generally, presidents, even in the best of times, are pretty busy. So there's a scheduling meeting. They talk about the things the president could do. And remember, when you're scheduling Trump, you have to scheduled around six to eight hours.
Speaker 1: Of Fox News viewing and truth socially and truth.
Speaker 2: Well, the true Schols really happens after working hours when he might be sleep and you decide this request comes and you're like, you know what could be good use to the president's time. You know what wouldn't be fucking weird at all? You know what would not would definitely be good politics and not at all contribute to the idea that he's a narcissist who cares only about himself. Let's have him call into the ceremony about the gold statue delivered from God of the President at his golf club.
Speaker 1: It's so many parts of the story are funny. They like, the people who did the statue, created the statue, used it to sell a mean coin called Patriot Coin. This is the crypto time. And then the pastor, who's a hit I guess, became his spiritual advisor.
Speaker 2: I just did itat doing a bang up job of that.
Speaker 1: Sign me up. Just did an Isaac Chottner interview, which, oh man, he asked him, like, how'd you get into this? How'd you get to become a Trump supporter? And he said so early on, I was there and the Lord told me. Then the first thing the Lord told me was to show the world that this man's not racist. And then and then at the end Isaac asim asks them about the the ai image of Jesus and what he thought about that. And he said, well, again, I was one of the first people to reach out to the president and say that was bad. Please take that down as fast as possible. And Isac said, what did he say? He said he thought it was a doctor, but again he's no theologian. And then Isaac says, I'm not a theologian and I knew it wasn't a doctor. And the pastor just goes great, great.
Speaker 2: So good. So I'm so glad we can last still laugh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, just throw the statue up there with the ballroom in the arch and the four hundred million dollar Katari jet and the ten billion dollars he's putting in his pocket from the irs.
Speaker 2: Just oh good, free idea for democratic tatro consultants is of all a little ai so.
Speaker 1: Okay, follow your local cot your pearls.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Also, it is illegal in some states, but we need images, and maybe it's mean you just need a fucking photoshop. You just need images of vulnerable Republicans worshiping at the Trump statue. It's a good idea, I think Jade Vance and or Marcot Rubio and you know what, not even message back pro that shit's free.
Speaker 1: I mean it is now you just said it. Yeah, we're not putting this behind the paywall. Lucky you guys. All right, that's our show for today and uh, in case you want more Dan and more great advice, He's back in your Feet on Sunday with our pal David Axelrod. I can't wait for that episode.
Speaker 2: Excited.
Speaker 1: Have a good weekend, everyone by Everyone Podsive America is a Crooked media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Ferris Safari, with Ree Cherlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Groate, Ben Hefcote, Jordan Cancer, Charlotte Landis Krol pel Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East