Speaker 1: It's NIC's eyes, Dan Ray, I'm going in mazy Boston's news radio. Thanks, Suzanne. I can't thank you for those numbers. Pretty dark, dismal day, kind of a moon day on Wall Street. A lot of moaning and growning down there today, but there'll be no moaning and groaning on Nightside. Thank you very much, Suzanne. One of my pals here at WBZ. My name is Dan Ray. I am the host of Nightside. Rob Brooks is the producer of this program. He is back at Broadcast Central in headquarters, the place where it all happens. I'm simply out somewhere remotely where no one can find me, broadcasting from the comfort of my own chair. And we have four great guests, four great topics this hour, and then we will at nine o'clock tonight talk about the passing of Pope Francis. We're going to talk with Father Jonathan Gaspar. He is the pastor of Saint Mary's of the Assumption Parish in Brookline. He's also a former secretary to Cardinal O'Malley and as a matter of fact, when the last conclave was held in twenty thirteen which elevated Pope Francis, to the papacy. Father Jasper was there. He was not a participant in the conclave, but he had certainly a bird's eye see as to what was going on, and he'll be sharing that with us as well the legacy of Pope Francis later on. Then tonight, we're going to talk about that thrilling space ride that Gail King and a few others took into outer space last week, and we'll talk about that and some of the backlash that poor Gail King was receiving from people for her. This was a mission, not just a ride in space. It was a mission, an eleven minute mission, but a mission nonetheless. All right, we are going to talk right now to Rachel Lacombe, who is a teacher, and Rihanna Berry, who's a student Lexington High School. Rachel's group, of which Rihanna is a member, took the crown at the Massachusetts state finals of the National Personal Finance Challenge hosted by the Council for Economic Education, and I wish some of those advisors in the White House would use Rihanna and her classmates on this whole question. This is an all female team that's going to compete in the national finals in June. So let me start off with the teacher, Rachel, you must be very proud of your students.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, These are actually incredible students, and the ladies have done a phenomenal job. And I want to give the credit to them because honestly, I kind of handled more of the administrative aspects of their competition. But these are highly motivated students who spend their free time doing this and learning strategies for saving, investing and budgeting. And but I can't I can't give them enough credit for how well they've done. And I'm very very proud of them.
Speaker 1: How many teams, how many members make up a team? I'm guessing it's for but it probably is a difference. Yeah figure. Okay, well that's the first economic figure I'll get right tonight. So thank you for confirming that. So off, will you be able to go with your team? I believe the finals are somewhere. Is it in Atlanta where.
Speaker 2: You guys are head of Yeah? So we actual this just happened last week. It was last Tuesday that the girls competed and won the Massachusetts finals. So the next round of the competition is actually in Atlanta, Georgia and it's all expenses paid to Atlanta, Georgia. However, we do have one problem, which is very sad, is there's two seniors on the team and two juniors on the team. The two seniors, their graduation day is the exact actame day as a competition. So we're trying to figure out how we're going to manage moving forward, and you know, can we work out the timing for the seniors or do we have to find substitute? So yeah, I know it's really unfortunate. So we were still working through those kinks right now.
Speaker 1: That's like a couple of pictures in the Red Sox pitching staff coming down with needing Tommy John surgery. That's a big problem. Yeah, well, let's assume you can work it out, and let's get Rihanna involved here. Rihanna, are you one of the seniors or one of the juniors?
Speaker 3: Guy, I'm one of the juniors, So thank you. No matter what, I can go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your bag is packed and you're ready to go.
Speaker 3: Where are you ready to go?
Speaker 1: Where are you looking to go to college? With this on your resume? I assume that you probably have some pretty good grades, and where's your ideal college or do you have a handful that you're looking at.
Speaker 3: Not necessarily like set on a college at the moment. I'm still a junior. But in college around the New England area that has a good business program, I would be happy to attend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a few of them around. You'll find you find a good one. So what got you interested in finances and economic education. There's a lot of people come out of high school high school and they couldn't balance a check book, never mind talk about some of the issues and the uh, the items, the economic items that seem to be on your agenda.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the fact that we aren't necessarily required to be taught about finance in school was one of my motivations for joining my personal Finance club because it gave me the opportunity to learn about all these different financial topics like investing and checking accounts and all these different ideas at a younger age, so I would be more prepared in the future when I go out into the world as an adult. So that was my main motivation.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you're going to be very well prepared at this point. I'm hoping maybe the President will give you guys a call and bring it down to the White House and take some advice. I don't know if you if you watched the stock market today, but it was it was another bad day on Wall Street. The beers a wrecking havoc with people like me who have furrow one k's and I rais and things like that. So how long is the competition in Atlanta? Is that like over the weekend? I know, unfortunately you have the scheduled conflict for the couple of seniors on your team. How many other teams? Give me an idea about how many teams are you competing with? How many wins do you have to put up on the board to secure the national championship, which I'm convinced you'll win.
Speaker 3: Yes, So the competition is on June first and June second, so it's an overnight competition. And I'm not exactly sure, but I believe that each state has their first place winner from the state competition go to the nationals. So we're competing with hopefully I think around fifty teams, and we have to give a case presentation and then the top sixteen teams do a mini quiz bowl round will they answer like multiple choice questions? And then the top four win a prize, so I believe that's the way that it goes.
Speaker 2: Well, She's exactly right.
Speaker 1: I don't get what the rules of regulations are. I'm sure your team legacy in high school is bringing is going to bring home the gold to Massachusetts. I want to thank both of you for being here and both of you having an interest in some economics. And the reason I think economics in high school is so important is that my so secure. It depends upon your people, So please study hard. Thank you both so much. Rachel, thanks, thanks for teaching these kids and coaching them. And Rihanna. Thanks. You get a great personality and your smartest whip and the future is out before you. You're going to have a great life. And I'm sure I get to a great college. And congratulate you your teammates for us here on Night Side. I want to find out when you come back, we'll have you back and we can we can, we can share the glory with you. Okay. I'd love to have to come back as a champion, come back here, it doesn't matter, Okay, great, Thanks Rachel, Thanks Rihanna. We'll talk again. Thanks very much when we get back here. On Nightside, We're going to talk about the pros and cons of a new dating trend. I mean, the dating trends are coming at us fast and furious. This is called flood lighting, not gas lighting. Flood lighting. And we're going to talk with a dating and relationship coach and expert right after this break on Nightside. My name's Dan raym the host of Nightside. We're heard every Monday through Friday night from eight until midnight right here in WBZ Boston, Boston's news radio ten thirty on your am. We're in iHeart radio station. We used to be a CBS station, but now we're in iHeart station ben So for about eight years and iHeart is at the cutting edge of everything in terms of radio. They have a great new radio iHeart app that you can pull down, put on all of your various devices, and you can make us your number one presets. So we will only be a fingertip away, irrespective of where you find yourself anywhere in the world. Three hundred and sixty five days, twenty four to seven, every day a fingertip away. Just think pull down that iHeart app. My name's Dan ray This is Nightside. We'll be back with some interesting discussion of floodlighting. I think you'll find it interesting coming back on Nightside. It's Night Side with.
Speaker 2: Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, now we have another word ladies and gentlemen are going to deal with here on Nightside. Don't please, don't get confused. All of us have heard of the word moonlighting. Recently we learned about gas lighting. Now we have one more. It's called floodlighting. With us is dating and relationship coach and expert Jennifer Styers. Jennifer, I've never heard of floodlighting. But I'm not in the dating scene, so I guess they don't have to worry about it. But sounds like it's a bit of a problem for a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what, I'm in the dating scene and I've never heard of it either. They like to make up these names for things that have been around for a while.
Speaker 1: So are these people who are doing who are the people who are making up these names? They're driving me nuts?
Speaker 4: I know, you know what, it's the dating companies. They literally do it to get stories like this. But but having said that, you know there is some thing behind all of this sough and and a trend that is happening, and they're blaming it on TikTok, but we are definitely seeing it. And this this the bloodlighting is the term is about oversharing. So it's like going on a first date and like jumping on your person all your emotional baggage, all the stuff that you know is on your mind, your insecurities are just doing it, you know, too soon in a relationship.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that that must probably pretty much assure there will be no second date. I assume.
Speaker 4: You would think, yeah, I mean it's it's definitely, Uh, it's definitely. It definitely happens. And I think we're kind of living in this dating stage of the dating world now. It's all about authenticity. And you do have a lot of YouTube and TikTok influencers and they're they're talking about, well, I feel this way and this's happened to me. And I think that there is a level of this is rubbing off on regular people in the world. Think something that they're doing might be overly important.
Speaker 1: You know, what you're saying is is rubbing off on normal people. I don't think that anybody who aspires to be a TikTok influencer is not within the realm of normalty, normality, I should say, as far as i'm what do you want to do when you grow up? You know, Billy, I'm on a TikTok influencer. Billy, I got news for your TikTok's not going to be around by time you turn twelve.
Speaker 4: Come on, they go, I'll tell you what. Some of them are making a lot of money.
Speaker 1: So, oh, you know something. I've been in the media my entire life, which is a really long time, and I still don't get it. I mean, I don't know why anybody. Well, first of all, TikTok isn't even run by anyone in our country. It's potentially big problems. But well, let's get back to flood lighting. I mentioned moonlighting. We all know what moonlighting is. Remember, by the way, the character in Field of Dreams Moonlight Graham. That was one of the great nicknames. To remember the movie. I hope with Kevin pr.
Speaker 4: Do not remember that character, but I remember the movie was amazing.
Speaker 1: Well he was. He was the fellow who was the young baseball player who walked off the field that he had wanted one game in the major leagues and became a doctor. He's the key to the plot of that particular movie Field of Dreams. But put that aside, and when we know about other types of lighting, So this is floodlighting, and you just sit down on your first date that you have fixed up through yourself. By the way, is it the floodlighting? Okay? Is it fifty to fifty between men and women or are you more likely to be flood lit if you're a female going out on the first date or a male going out of the first date. I wanted to wish to if it's a fifty to.
Speaker 4: Fifty break, it's a great question. I think it's probably going to be more women. But hey, sorry ladies, but but you know men.
Speaker 1: Are doing I'm glad. I'm glad you said that, Jennifer, not me, but thank you very much for clarifying.
Speaker 4: It is the truth. But but men are guilty of it too. I mean, at the end of the day, if somebody has got to overshare their issues, their problems, their past, their history, how their heart's been broken, how they've been used, you know, cheated on, that's somebody who's not healthy. And and you know the good thing about floodlighting is if somebody jumps on you that early you know, you know they're they're not healthy or ready for a relationship. You just run as fast as you can. That's it couldn't get any more of a you know, red flag.
Speaker 1: It's kind of it's really sad when you when you do think about it, that a lot of times you your people are in a bad relationship and they stay in the bad relationship and then when finally they're bitter that they stayed, and then it just comes and I don't know, psychologically, I guess it's a horrible circumstance to be in. And this look you can understand where people will We're all the creature of our own experiences, whether we're we have good experiences or bad experiences, and most of us like to talk about experiences because when we talk about ourselves, we're all wrapped up in our experiences. Where we've traveled, where we went to school, what our you know, dislikes and likes are. It's going to be so tough to be on the dating scene because if you are political, if you're a Democrat, you know, I'm going to date a Republican. If you're a Republican account data democrat, then then you put in flood lighting the only person only people. You can end up dating all your exes, which just puts you back and where you were before.
Speaker 4: Like a cycle, it is, and it really is. But you bring up a good point though, and it's good to say this. Everybody has a history, it's just whether they have a healthy you know, view of it, and they're healthy today. And a lot of people don't get healthy and instead go out and date to try to forget what happened or try to get happy or whatever it may be. And getting into a new relationship isn't going to do that. So you know that, and nobody wants to hear your problems and listen to you talk about your previous relationships all night. I can say I'm a matchmaker, and I can tell you there are times when people and a dating coach, and you know, people get off these dates and they're like, all they talked about was their ex the whole time, And guess what, that doesn't work for getting a second date, So no or.
Speaker 1: A second relationship. How can folks in my audience who were not floodline or gas lighters or moon lighters, how can they contact you, Jennifer and maybe get some help and and even if it's going to cost them a little bit of money for your professional guidance, how can they contact you?
Speaker 4: Well, my website is love l O V E j E n N lovegen dot com and there's a lot of information there, a lot of information there. And you know, I do want to say, go to my Facebook page. My personal page. I post every day, so we do a lot of coaching online. It's free, so that's a good place to go to and join the conversation.
Speaker 1: So what's the personal page? Love Jen as well? Is that the moniker?
Speaker 4: Actually it's actually Jennifer Steyer. Just my name S E y E R S Facebook.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, well, Jenna, I appreciate you've got a great sense of humor. You've got a great sense of humor, and I think that's the best attribute anyone can have. You know, it's great if they're good looking, don't get me wrong, and if they're if they're fabulously wealthy, but sense of humors right up there, as far as I'm concerned, right up there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Yes, we'll talk again, Thanks so much.
Speaker 3: Thanks, all right, thanks.
Speaker 1: When we get back, we're going to talk about this one. This one is going to be a little confusing, but you know me, I'm here to straighten it out for you. Gen X. For those of you, gen X are people born from ninety six to twenty twelve. They have a different attitude about dining from baby boomers and millennials. And we have a great guest coming up. He's a restaurant X industry expert and we're going to talk about this. His first name is Sheriff and believe Sheriff Mityas. So we will talk with him and we'll talk about how date how a restaurant trends. This one I could have figured out. Okay, basically gen X gen Z rather gen Z is more pecunious than many other of the previous gemist generations because they don't have the same amount of money. Okay, that's what it's gonna come down to. But you watch. We'll talk with the expert, Sheriff Mityahs, right after the eight thirty news here on Nightside. It's Night Side with Dan Ray on.
Speaker 2: Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: Well welcome, Sureiff Midyah sure if welcome to Nightside. How are you, sir?
Speaker 5: I'm doing well. Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: So you're a restaurant industry expert and the CEO of Bricks Holdings b R. I X is that a company that has restaurants under management.
Speaker 5: We have lots of restaurants. In fact, we own the Friendlies chain that I'm sure many of your listeners have been to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well those all went out of business here in Massachusetts. What are they coming back? I hope. I like Friendlies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we unfortunately when we picked it up, there was a lot of stores missing in Massachusetts. But we're coming back. We have almost ninety five restaurants up and down the Eastern seaboard.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll tell you, if you came back, friendly was always good. I mean they had great ice cream and they reasonably priced. I was a big fan of Friendlies. And I mean that seriously. I just happened to, you know, ask you that question. Kind of stumbled in the question. I did not know that you guys were picking up Friendlies. But bring them back there. They're originally a Massachusetts company, as you know. And anyway, so Generation X, we have to always describe gen xers are the young people. They're people who were born from nineteen ninety six to twenty twelve, so they're literally the youngest cohort of Americans other than whatever's coming behind them, Generation Alpha or something. And these folks, as I understand it, they have a different attitude then buy Baby Boomers and millennials, and I assume also Gen xers, which is jen Y. This is where it gets confusing. Gen Y are also the millennials, Then there's Gen X, then there's the boomers. I'm assuming this all has to do with the fact that Gen Z has less cash in their pockets. Am I being cynical when I say that, because I can be cynical?
Speaker 5: No? No, No, They're definitely more cash strapped. But remember this generation also grew up on their phones, right, And so where you and I would talk to folks when we're thinking out which restaurants should we go to and where should we go out to eat? And they look at everything on TikTok and on Instagram. That's when they look at their recommendations, right, And these TikTokers and influencers also telling them here's where you can share a meal. Right, you can go out with a friend, spend less than twenty bucks or ten bucks in certain cases, and fill yourself up. So this is where they're getting their knowledge, their information and they're using it to get you know, to still go out with friends, but to get good deals.
Speaker 1: So what can they get for to share with a friend for ten bucks, ramen, noodles or something.
Speaker 5: Well, it's funny because you also see a lot of restaurants now expanding their appetizer menu, what they call even shareables now on their menus, right because they're playing to this demographic where you can get some wings, you can get you know, not schows and fries that are a little bit more substantial, still inexpensively priced and can feed two or three folks.
Speaker 1: Well. Interesting, Interesting, I am, I'm kind of old school, because you probably would if you knew me, you'd figure that out. I worked as a TV reporter back in the seventies, eighties, nineties and into the two thousands before I took over this gig, and I was on the road all the time, and we knew every diner in New England, and as far as I'm concerned, if we could find a diner, you knew you were going to get a great meal at a reasonable price. Reasonable price. I am so sad at the disappearance of American diners. Are diners ever going to come back?
Speaker 5: You know, it's interesting. It's almost like the friendly story, right. There's nostalgia there, right, people know of these places right from when they grew up and then that you know, a lot of them went away. And you know, I think there's there's pockets of what makes a diner special it is coming back, right, which is there? There is places that are trying to become more affordable, that are trying to be you know, have that kind of good home experience at an affordable price. And it's just hard, right, It's just a restaurant business is hard. It's you know, labor and food costs going up and inflation. But when you get the experience right to your point, people remember you fondly. They want to come back.
Speaker 1: You know what one of my favorite restaurants is. And you're gonna laugh maybe at me, but I love all of gardens. I mean, must hiring restaurants, trust me. But to go out for dinner and get hit for the two hundred dollars restaurant bill for two meals and maybe a couple of glasses of wine, it's like almost obscene.
Speaker 5: It is it is. And so then that's why that's why you've got some of these brands coming back, All gardens doing what Chili's right, Chili's is having a resurgent Chili's and you know why not right there and they're touting though, this great deal for millennials and gen xers and gen Zers. It's ten ninety nine and you get a burger, fries and a drink perfect right.
Speaker 1: What why did why did Chilies fall out of favor? Why did all of garden fall fall out of favor?
Speaker 5: I mean well, I think again they lost they lost what they were good at.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: They tried to become an Olive Gardens case a little bit too high end. Right, people are not going for highand Italian to Olive Garden. Right, go back to what you what you're what people know you for, what you're good at, and that's that's what the brands that are that are doing well today. You know, be true to yourself. Don't try to be someone you're not. Don't try to go after a demographic that you have no business going after, because you won't get you won't get it, you won't make it.
Speaker 1: These the sort of restaurants that the Bricks Holdings, you're the CEO of Bricks Holdings. These are the sort of restaurants that that you trying to work with.
Speaker 5: We do, right, and so we have, like I said, Friendlies, We have Red Mango, which is a frozen yogurt concept of in the Northeast, we have and we we're in three hundred other locations across forty states. But we've got eight different brands and it's really working with different groups to really focus on what you're good at and to end snapping.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: So this is the other piece that's really big for this generation. No one wants to go out for a full meal, right you mentioned as well in certain cases it's just going out and getting a snack something you can afford. But you get the pleasure of going out and not just sitting at home and eating by yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, you know something, Sheriff, If it's okay with you, I might have my producer get back in touch with your your staff. And these interviews that we do in this hour, they're only fairly seven, eight, nine minutes, uh and then fly by. But maybe I'd like to have to come back some night and we can talk about restaurants and maybe my audience can tell you here and you know, we have a big audience up and down the East Coast root fifty thousand y if you were familiar with WBC. But we're new England based organization and maybe they can they can talk about some of these restaurants with you. I think people would be thrilled to find out that Friendlies is coming back. And I mean that seriously.
Speaker 6: That'd be great to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we could. We could run sort of like almost like a little focus group for you, uh and let people call in and tell you what but they liked about some of these restaurants and maybe we can bring them back and make life a little a little better for my listeners and for your clients.
Speaker 5: Fair enough, I love it. Thank you for that opportunity.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll make that happen. Sheriff mid Yes, thank you very much. I love talking about food, but food it's affordable. You know, friends of mine telling me about all the fancy, spancy restaurants they go to and it's like it's tough to enjoy the meal, and they'll say, oh that real lovely. Yeah, it should be lovely when it's a sixty dollars steak. I mean I can't. It should be lovely when it's a twenty dollars steak in my opinion. Sheriff, thanks so much. I enjoyed our conversation.
Speaker 5: Talk again, thank you.
Speaker 1: Very much, very much. Nice to talk with you as well. We're going to take a quick break and we're going to talk about the story of the day coming up, the passing of Pope Francis early this morning, about twenty four hours ago. Was around the time when he was passing. It was some Monday morning. I'm going to talk Professor Hugh Schmaltz. He is a religious studies professor at the College of Holy Cross in Worcester. We'll be back with Professor Schmaltz and after that we're going to also talk about in the nine o'clock hour of the passing of Pope Francis with the pastor of Saint Mary's Parish, Saint Mary's Parish of the of the Assumption Parish in Brookline, and we're going to be talking with the pastor who is the former secretary of Cardinal O'Malley and Father Jonathan Gasper was in Rome, not as a voter, but certainly as a participant in the entire process of the conclave. So we'll talk about that. Gonna have a lot of great information for you. Next, I will call your friends and tell him the turn on Nightside. Back on Nightside. Right after this, you're on Nightside with Dan Ray. I'm w b Z, Boston's news radio. Well, the big news story of today in this country and also nashally, was the passing of Pope Francis. Died at the age of eighty and it was about twenty four hours ago that apparently he suffered some form of a cerebral hemorrhage and then that led to him put him in a coma and then heart failure. I guess for the probably old age is also contributing factor with us as Professor Matthew Small's professor of religious studies at the College of Holy Cross in Worcester. Yet us worried there for a second. Professor Smalls, my producer, was saying, I haven't been able to reach him yet. I hope everything's okay.
Speaker 6: Everything's okay, Sorry about that.
Speaker 1: Just no, I've I'll bet, I'll bet it has been. Yeah. I'm guessing that he passed sometime around midnight last night. I know that it first was announced this morning, you know, with the time difference, obviously he spent a very active. Final day on Easter, you know, heard at the Vatican blessed the crowd, spoke briefly. He also had met with the Vice President of the United States. I believe that meeting was Sunday morning, maybe it was late Saturday. But he kept a full schedule right until the end of pretty characteristic of a man of eighty eight years of age, who who literally you know, you know, stayed active right until the very end.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's true. And he always wanted to be a pope of the people, and I think his last few days showed that he wanted to be with the faithful in Saint Peter's Square, even though he knew that his health was failing. So it was very powerful moment, I think, and something for us all to reflect on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a very different pope, at least the popes. You're the expert. I'm simply an imperfect Catholic who was taught by nuns for the for eight first eight years of my education, Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. And I remember, you know Pope John the twenty third and pious out of the sixth, and you know John Paul one and of course John Paul two, and I actually remember I think Pious the twelfth a little bit back in the low fifties. So where would you put this pope? He certainly took the church in a different direction. But there's there's a new pope coming. We don't know who it's going to be. Do you think that new pope he appointed about I guess eighty percent of the College of Cardinals that can vote in the election, those under the age of eighty, you think that they will basically pick someone who's going to carry on his traditional will they, you know, move the moved the church back a little bit in the other direction? You know?
Speaker 6: You yeah, well that's yeah, that's the question. And let me say you're in good company, because I'm an imperfect Catholic too. I think the College of Cardinals, all one hundred and thirty eight of them who are allowed to vote, was a majority of them were appointed by Po Francis. But I'm not sure there'll be a kind of rubber stamp or a pot Francis clone that we should expect. The cardinals come from all parts of the Catholic world, and so many of them don't know the ways and workings of the Vatican in Rome, so we might see a longer conclave, one that will take a while to resolve itself. I personally think instead of choosing a carbon copy of Po Francis or choosing someone who's going to push back on his reforms, that the Catholic Church and the cardinals will want to take a breather in some ways and elect someone who has the pastoral or personal sensitivities that Po. Francis did, but is not going to make substantial doctrinal changes. It'll take decades for Pro Frances's reforms to settle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of the things that he would say, and then there'd be a clarification. That's kind of the way the Vatican works, you know. He says something that the media jumps on and says, oh, the Church has now changed his position on this, And when they sifted through whatever the encyclical was and it was translated from the Latin back to the English, it wasn't quite as dramatic. I mean, it seems it seems to me any chance. I guess we have seventeen US cardinals, which is a pretty well ten of them eligible to vote. None of the only one that I really have a sense of is Cardinal Dolan of New York. Is it time for an American pope?
Speaker 6: I hate to say this, but I think it is not time for an American pope. So I like Cardinal Dolan very much, and he sent me some very sweet letters sometimes about my writings. I think what we'll see, however, is someone like Cardinal Dolan being a kingmaker, someone who can bring people together around a particular candidate. But I think the issue is with the United States, apart from anything else, is that the United States has just too much geopolitical power, and so the Vatican is going to want to maintain balance, and aligning itself with the United States in such a way might be seen to bring things out of balance.
Speaker 1: I covered Cardinal Law back in the day. The truth scandal was actually covered his elevation in Rome, and for a long time I thought I traveled with him, traveled to Poland, traveled to Northern Ireland, traveled to Italy, obviously, and I always thought he was campaigning for it, that it would mean these other cardinals. There is a political veneer to this that probably no one really wants to talk about.
Speaker 6: No, you're exactly right. There is politicking, and you know it's bad. Form to put yourself forward as a candidate. And there's a saying in Rome, I think that goes he who goes into the conclave of Pope comes out a cardinal. But just because you can't campaign for yourself doesn't mean that people won't campaign for you. And so certainly there'll be factions, people jockeying for position, and it may take a while to see how this all plays out, simply because the College of Cardinals is so diverse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess the betting favorite. I was doing my research today. There's a lot of talk about this six seven year old cardinal for the Philippines.
Speaker 6: Exactly would he.
Speaker 1: Be the betting favorite and does that automatic eliminate him if you become the betting favorite.
Speaker 6: Well, maybe it does. I like Cardinal Toglay, the former Archbishop of Manila, very much, and he's very much in the mold of Pope Francis, and he does hold an office in the Vatican that deals with bishops, so people do know him, and so it would be easy to point to him as an early candidate who might actually be elected pope because he's very much cut in the mold of Pope Francis, and many people know him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to be fascinating to watch, that is for sure. I'd love to have you back periodically if that's possible. I'm sure you your time is going to be great. But yeah, I I sometime if I can talk to you privately, I can tell you some interesting stories.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, we can.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Studying with nuns, I think is is you know something that there'll be a lot of stories about.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know if you had any of the Fine Sisters as your primary educators. But one thing you learned. You learn the basics of writing, reading, writing, and arithmetic, that's for sure. At least I did. I we used to. You know, you'd be able to to parse those sentences on the blackboard, the nouns and the verbs and the adverbs and the adjectives and oh.
Speaker 6: You yeah across your knuckles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, oh absolutely they still bruised. I really enjoyed the conversation. You got a sense of humor as well, Professor Matthew Schmaltz holy Cross, you represented the whole the Crusaders very well. They still got the nickname up there. They thinking of changing that. That's the only question.
Speaker 6: There's always discussion about changing it, and I like if.
Speaker 1: I like the nickname. I'm kind of old schools. I have a lot of friends.
Speaker 6: I mean, alumni are very divided about this. Older alumni. I wanted to keep it a younger alumni. I want it. So we'll see.
Speaker 1: I get it. I get it. Thanks again, Professor Matthews, Chris, thanks very much. Will we get back. We're going to talk with father the pastor Jonathan Gaspard, pastor of Saint Mary's of the Assumption, Paris and Brookline, former secretary to Cardinal Weal Maley. He was in Rome for the last conclave that chose Pope Francis, and he met Pope Francis, and we're going to have a conversation with him and with you in the nine o'clock hour. Feel free to join the conversation. You can light up those lines beginning now. Back after this