Speaker 1: This is WBZY, Boston's news radio. We defining local news. Good morning, six o'clock with a full moon illuminating the nighttime sky. We've got clear skies in thirty degrees here in Boston. The News at six has brought to us by your New England Toyota Dealer, your hybrid all wheel drive headquarters. Thanks for being here on this Tuesday morning. I'm Jeff Brown, and here we go again. Sunshine mixing with clouds at a windy and colder the story after the evening snowshower. That is WBZ achi weather meteorologist Joe Lundberg. Cold, quiet, and mostly dry, though in the coming days. New this morning, another round of talks is underway, and the potential cease fire agreement between Israel and Hamas appears to be imminent. Negotiations to include the end of hostilities and the release of the remaining hostages taken during the October seventh attack on Israel all on the table. An official announcement could come as soon as today. Meantime, Secretary of State Anthony Blincoln is expected to announce post war plans for the region and an effort to build rebuild Gaza later today. No rest for the weary. In southern California, firefighters renew their battle with the Santa Anna winds, which are expected to whip themselves into a seventy mile per hour frenzy again today and tomorrow. The National Weather Service has issued a rare particularly dangerous red flag warning some forty thousand acres of scorched earth since New Year's Day. Official say the winds threatened to erase all of the progress made in containing those filefires in recent days. They warn of explosive fire growth in the coming hours. All the winter illnesses, it's the stuff that certainly keeps you up at night and your doctor might share in you're insomnia. Doctor Darien Sudden says, we've only just begun.
Speaker 2: I don't think yet we are near the peak. But what's different about this year is that it's not just one pathogen, not just two, but it's four different diseases that are going around and spreading different times symptoms. We're talking about flu, covid, RSV, as well as neurovirus.
Speaker 3: Doctor Sutton says the most common positive test he gets back is the flu. He says it's important to remember the basics, avoid contact with those infected, and regular hand washing can help reduce the risk of infection. Jaywilllett WBZ Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 1: New research suggests new cases of dementia in the United States will double in the coming decades. Scientists say that by the year twenty sixty one million American adults will develop the debilitating memory robbing disease. Every year. The risk factors for developing dementia appear to be higher than previous estimates. Bruins are back in action tonight. They'll take on Tampa Bay at the Garden. Celtics hit the road. They're in Toronto tomorrow night and gone in a flash. The Minnesota Vikings lose in an upset to the La Rams to wrap up the NFL's wildcard round. Early round play in the Australian Open tennis tournaments continues, and it's going on right now on the land down under wbz's Drew mo'holland as the first major tennis tournament of the year.
Speaker 4: Always fun, isn't it, Jeff Yes, Indean Yanick Sentator Carlos Alkaaz Novak Djokovic all through to the second round already for the men. No surprises there, but in Novak's case, he defeats A nineteen year old youngster who get this, used the Novak Djokovic picture as his WhatsApp profile pick did you follow me there?
Speaker 1: That I think I did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Novak is Nichez Basar Vodi's hero, and Djokovic addressed it after he, you know, well beat him.
Speaker 5: I don't know what to say to that.
Speaker 3: To be honest, I do appreciate the support.
Speaker 4: Is a nice boy.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's a teenager still, you know. I'm sure we'll see a lot of him in the future.
Speaker 4: Maybe I should make my profile pictures Novak.
Speaker 1: Good good job sorting out all those vowels and concepts.
Speaker 4: Very difficult to the tennis front.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Andrew. The early morning sky has lit up with the January full moon as we are seeing temperatures hovering right around the freezing mark right now, wins are relatively calm for the moment, but that's going to change today. We're going to see a mix of sun and clouds and win conditions are back in play. Also cannot rule out a late day snowshower or some flurry activity in your neighborhood. Temperatures are going to be right around freezing all day today, but with the wind the akiweather, real field temperatures will be suppressed in the teens and twenties more the same Tomorrow and likely Thursday as well, with temperatures really not moving much above the freezing mark. But it turns milder as we head towards the weekend on Friday, Saturday, and into Sunday as well, with high temperatures getting closer to forty pretty much every day in that stretch. Right now, it's thirty under crystal clear skies here in Boston on this Tuesday morning, it's six oh six. Quenching your midday thirst could soon come with a new cost ice.
Speaker 6: Cold and refreshing, but also filled with sugar. We know soda is no good for us, and Boston City council Or Sharon Durkin wants to drive that point home with a new citywide sugary drink tax.
Speaker 7: It's a really great idea.
Speaker 6: Aaron used to drink a few orange sodas a day, but kick the habit to the curb years ago.
Speaker 1: I've cut it out.
Speaker 5: I don't drink soda anymore, and I actually have lost a.
Speaker 6: She thinks Boston is overdue for a soda search art something things.
Speaker 7: To be done about the childhood a.
Speaker 6: B ST Counselor. Durkin's proposal calls for a hearing to further investigate the viability of a sugary drink tax in Boston, Philly, San Francisco, and Seattle have had one for years. Feedback I'm getting seems to be a thumbs up.
Speaker 4: Putting out stuff that's bad forth for a long time. So I think it's time for them to pay back and Charlestown.
Speaker 6: Jim McKay WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: You gotta pay to play at Starbucks. The world's biggest coffee chain updates its playbook and from now on, if you want to sit and talk or just hang out inside a Starbucks, you're gonna have to be a paying customer. The new policy update means anyone inside of Starbucks must buy something. An update to an easing of the code of conduct from seven years ago also includes restrictions on panhandling and bans, discrimination, harassment, as well as violence and abusive language. Revere would like a word. Community safety is on the line with a recent misstep at an emergent agency housing shelter.
Speaker 5: Revere City councilors want to talk with the state's Housing Office about the vetting process for those staying at emergency shelters. This comes after an undocumented immigrant was arrested at the quality in allegedly in possession of ten pounds of fenomil and an assault rightful.
Speaker 7: Illustrating an overwhelming failure in procedural safeguards by the.
Speaker 1: Commonwealth Counselor Michelle Kelly, the.
Speaker 7: Healy administration finally released public records revealing that over one thousand serious incidents were reported at stage shelters between January twenty twenty three. In August twenty twenty four.
Speaker 5: The City Council voted unanimously on a motion calling for the Heey administration to detail a plan that insures background checks at emergency shelters, also that those in the system are not involved in illegal activity. At Revere City Hall, James rohas w b Z Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 1: You are now in the loop for news updates throughout the day. Listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Jeff Brown, WBZ Boston's News Radio