Speaker 1: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 3: Sri?
Speaker 1: Sorry we're here.
Speaker 3: We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time.
Speaker 4: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 3: In that case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 1: Lay for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary board. We're prohibited by low eight team plus terms and conditions applying. See website for details.
Speaker 4: Hey guys, it is Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic one.
Speaker 5: I can.
Speaker 4: I like to work, but I like fun too. It's a thing, and now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at chumbacasino dot com.
Speaker 1: No be necessary dB I lost if it's eating Lab.
Speaker 2: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker, DTK. Every week, another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 6: Good Evening, a compilation of six fascinating historical true crime stories, all geographically attached, are close to the author's childhood home. There's Killer of the Cloth and the Content, Mosquito Point Road, Death of a First Basement, The Blue Guardina, and Pure Slash Evil and three of the killers are female. The book they're featuring this evening is Mosquito Point Road, Monroe County, Murder in Mayhem with my special guest, journalist and author Michael Benson. Welcome back to the program, and thank you very much for this interview. Michael Benson.
Speaker 7: Thanks Dan, good evening, Thank.
Speaker 6: You, good evening. Indeed, we talked about in the introduction that all of these stories are geographically attached or close to your childhood home. Tell us about growing up in Chile outside of a suburb of Rochester, Chili, New York. Tell us a little bit about growing up there and the proximity to these stories.
Speaker 5: Okay, everybody in Chilai is laughing right now.
Speaker 6: Oh, there we go again.
Speaker 5: I did it with Highli. I grew up on a dirt road called Stallman Drive. It was off of Balentine Road, south of the city of Rochester, in the town of Chili. The northern border of our land was made by Black Creek, and Black Creek flowed into the Genesee River, which then flowed northward into Lake Ontario, going through the city as it went. Now, I think people who read the Devil Genese Junction are pretty familiar with the area and the murders of my babysitter, Georgia and Formacola and her friend from down the road Kathy Bernhard nineteen sixty six. Now, as I was growing up, I knew that Valentine Road had years before been known as Mosquito Point Road, and the assumption was that the name came The name change came about because real estate brokers didn't want prospective buyers thinking the area was insect infested, which it was. My dad never looked at the house after dark until we lived there, at which we were horrified that we hadn't had a constant battle against the insects. But as it turned out, that wasn't the reason for the name change. The name was changed because it became synonymous with a ghastly murder, one that took place in nineteen twenty, exactly one hundred years ago, and at the exact same spot is where my friends were last seen before they were murdered forty six years later, so that was where the idea for the book started. Six stories, to varying degrees, tied with my childhood home. Some took place right behind my house in jyly down the road a bit, some just across the Genesee River in the town of Brighton, and one's in the town of Greece, and ones in the town of Rondequoit, which are all simple drives from my house growing up that The Mosquito Point Road murder occurred on January eighth, nineteen twenty, black creeks frozen over, everything snow covered, and shortly before noon on that day, the body of a young man wearing only his underwear was found stashed on the ice under the stone trestle just north of Mosquito Point Road, same trestle. This appears on the cover of the book and where Georgiane and Cathy were last seen. It's actually a culvert and it was built as an aqueduct to carry the Genesee Valley Canal across Black Creek, and by nineteen twenty it was being used as a trestle to take the railroad across the creek. Now, the location was described to city wellers in the papers of the day as just south of britain Field. I had no idea what britain Field was, but I found out that it was a one year old airstrip that would grow in stages into the Rochester Monroe County International Airport. So the airport in Rochester has always been in the same place since there were airplanes. But the bridge was stone. It looked permanent, although today it's in a state of disrepair. A little bit of concern there someday somebody's going to walk across the thing and fall into the creek. But at two tunnels went under it, and they were just high enough, I know from personal experience, just high enough so that you could canoe under the trestle if you limboed back while you were paddling.
Speaker 7: But back in.
Speaker 5: Nineteen twenty, the man that they found under the bridge lying on the ice had been stabbed, horribly slashed, disemboweled, his skull caved in, and most disturbingly, his head had been skinned. His scalp was flayed off, his ears were shredded. One ear was hanging by a single thread of cartilage. Now on the banks of Black Creek, next to where the body had been stashed, sheriff's investigators found two sets of footprints, one man in one female, and the sheriff himself said that it was the most brutal murder he had ever seen around those parts in a long time. Now, the heaviest muddy footprints from the woman were found under a tree about sixty feet away from the body, where there was a large patch of red snow, and resting atop the body was a wooden club that had at one time been part of a railroad tie. There were bloodstains on the club, and it was presumed that the big stick had put the hole in the body's skull. Now nearby they found the heel from a woman's shoe stuck in the mud, and an investigator looked around at the female prince and envisioned a woman dancing about in distress as she watched the man being killed in a gruesome way. But as it turned out, that investigator had it all wrong. Investigators agreed that there must have been an extended attack because it would just take a lot of tenacity, especially kind of anger, to flail that much skin off of a man. So they but at first, you know, they they managed to identify the guy by a idea in his pocket, and the big break in the case came fairly quickly when a taxi cab driver from the city of Rochester, a guy named Charles Shearer, called up police headquarters and said he thought he might have given the victim and his killers a ride out Scottsville Road as far as the Valentine Bridge. Balentin Bridge was known as the Balentine Bridge before Valentine Road was named Valentine Road. The road was named after the bridge. Sheriff's detectives picked up Shearer at his home and took him to the morgue. They showed him the body. He went and said, yep, that was the guy in the cab and apparently must have been some face intact and with him during the ride, he said was a young couple, there was a man, there was the victim, and the victim was handcuffed to a young woman. They asked him if he had any clue as to the identity of the killer cup, and he said, well, he overheard them talking about a man named Arnold who lived on North Washington Street in the city. So that info led to the arrest of Jimmy and Pearl Odell, and they were newlyweds. Pearl was still a teenager, Jimmy was in his early twenties. Pearl had been on her own since she was fourteen. She grew up in Pennsylvania, and when she was just a teenager, her dad lost an arm in a mining accident and was unable to provide for his family, so she took off on her own defend for herself. Imagine this in nineteen twenty and in nineteeneen it's happened. So Pearl has a strong sense of survival and has no doubt relied on the kindnesses of strangers to get ahead. Well anyway, investigators learned that the name of the victim was Edward Knipe. That's spelled k n e i P. You know, keep going neep, But we know it's Nipe because at the time people would often mispronounce it as night, like a knight of shining armor. And he was a man who had before Pearl and Jimmy met taken Pearl's virginity, or so she claimed. Pearl had a reputation for telling a tall tale now and again. And Pearl told her husband that Knipe had drugged her chocolates. He gave her a Christmas present a box of chocolates, drugged the chocolates, and raped her while she was unconscious. Well, that news just ate at Jimmy O'Dell. He was a bit of a hothead to begin with. He'd been he'd left the service because of the mental problems, had anger issues. But he stewed on this for a long time and came up with a plant. He was going to kidnap Knipe and take both Knipe and his wife out into the country, where he would give Pearl an opportunity to punish Knipe for having raped her. Her web I thought was going to be an a.
Speaker 6: Yes, Michael, you're talking about how his plan tell us how on earth he could You talk about the amount of deputy badges that were handed out save for by the former sheriff. Tell us about more about this plan and this audacious plan, how he pulled it off.
Speaker 5: Well, he apparently the previous sheriff there had been strikes, labor unions had gone on strike, and the previous sheriff had deputized a large number of men to handle any riots that there might be. So there were deputy badges floating around Rochester so that you could get for cheap. Then somebody would blend you one if you needed to pretend you had some authority for any reason. So Odell has one of these badges, and he buys a pair of handcuffs, and then he goes to Knipe's workplace, flashes the badge, says, you know, the police or Monroe County sheriff, whichever it was, and they bring they bring Nipe out to him, and he says, oh, you're coming with me, buddy, And he then takes Nipe to the homie lives in with his with his bride and his stepfather and stepmother who been basically his parents, and he makes Knipe confess to to raping Pearl. Although Knipe never admits that he drugged her, he seems to imply that it was consensual, although certainly statutory since she was I think sixteen at the time. And then he puts the two of them in the car and they're going to head out to the country to so that Pearl will get be given an opportunity to punish this guy. But his car breaks down and he ends up getting a cab to take him out as far as Mosquito Point Road in Sconso Road, and that that's, of course, how he gets caught, is that the cabby remembers who he is. So yeah, the Pearl Pearl brings along with her because she's been told that she's going to be given this opportunity, and I think she realizes and I believe this to be true. I think that if Pearl had said, no, I'm not going to hurt him, I can't hurt anybody, that Odell would have killed them both as sort of an honor killed. So she has this eighteen inch file, and the file he's described as various in various ways, and there's no photos of it, but Odell's stepmom says that she used to use it to cut ham, although I guess maybe to make hash or something, and O'Dell himself says he used it to help change a tire. So it's hard to imagine a tool that could used for both of those things. But an eighteen inch file, I think we can imagine. And they go out to the spot near the near the the trestle and Knipe is handcuffed to a tree and Jimmy says, okay, Pearl, go at it, and she starts taking the file to Knipe's head and once she gets started, she decides she kind of likes it. And next thing you know, they're going to have to kill the guy because he has no skin left on his head. So anyway, the car and the resulting trial has to be one of the most bizarre, some of the most bizarre in Monroe County history. They were tried one at a time, and these are the days before yeah, I think even radio that you had to wait for the newspaper to get the news. So people blocked to the courthouse. You know, you had to show up at two in the morning to get a seat in the courtroom. And by the end, by the time they're waiting for the jurors to come back with verdicts, there were crowds of thousands of people outside the courthouse, shutting down traffic, people were trying to peek into the into the jurors room. Just mayhem and you know things that the one moment in the in the trial that really almost starts the riot is that Pearl announces while on the stand that she is pregnant, and that's it. That's it takes a long time for the judge to get to get order in the court after that.
Speaker 6: There are different versions as this story progresses and as you have Lao for the reader. At first, it sounds much simpler there she tells her husband that this person has defiled her, and but we hear different details. In fact, there's brought up a trial when they testify that we're talking a little bit more complicated situation because she said he had promised to marry her and there were plans for their marriage. Oh, it was a little bit more to the story. And as the trial. At the trial you say that everybody wanted to witness this. Women especially were enamored by this incredible thing. The spectators, it was a circus like atmosphere.
Speaker 5: Well, it's an amazing insight into what it was like to be a woman on her own in nineteen twenty. I mean, if we're supposed to believe everything that Pearl says, then she is roofied, raped and when she wakes up, she's okay with it as long as the guy promises to take care of her from men are sure, it's hard to imagine a situation like that today. Although desperate, we'll do desperate things. Uh, it's.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: In fact, she gets her reputation for telling tall tales by going around telling people that she did marry Knipe and that they went on a honeymoon together. It also comes out in the trial that she and O'Dell at first she doesn't want to marry Odell because she's not a virgin, and he keeps saying, oh no, that's okay, we can get married anyway. But they lived together and presumably have relations for weeks before they get married again. Just scandal, unbelievable scandal, and that's these are these are the sort of little details that made the made the crime so popular. I mean, trial of the century in Monroe County. Pearl was still a teenager, and she set demurely in the courtroom with a pretty hat on. It would make it would make a great movie.
Speaker 6: Dan One issue that I thought was very interesting too, was the big break they got was the cabby coming forward and saying, yeah, I transported these people and I dropped them off in the middle of nowhere here this Mosquito Point road. But the idea that he said that they were handcuffed together makes the story and all subsequent is much different than they went together in the car, but warn't handcuffed together, so lends credence to that original theory that he was taking them both out there.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I think so and h and it's it's interesting that they're they're not terribly lovey dovey. During the trial process, at one point, you know, she says that she'll she'll stick with him even if he goes away to prison, but we're not we're not sure she's she's already thinking in terms of her own survival at that point. And during her trial, he's, well, he's already sing sing for the first time. She starts to talk about Jimmy as an abusive husband.
Speaker 6: That's right, which tind to.
Speaker 5: Say, which we could we could have figured out from the cab driver's testimony. Obviously, the way to do it is to handcuff night too. Odell and there's no reason to handcuff Pearl, and Pearl's going to be less able to stop Nighte if he decides to be aggressive. It only makes sense if he's taking them out there to punish them both.
Speaker 6: What's fascinating too in nineteen twenty yet or even twenty twenty the idea of the savagery, the brutality that she inflicted upon this former Well, this her rapist, she claims, and evidence that that would be. But again the circumstances. People were fascinated by this case, but they were especially fascinated those aspects of it, how much she had done and why. And tell us more about the reaction by media about this case.
Speaker 5: Well, it was splash front page headlines in the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle and Times Union for a year.
Speaker 7: And a half.
Speaker 5: I just say it was it was like the OJ trial of its day because it had everything. I mean, it had had extreme violence, It had, you know, non marital sex, it had it had a woman who turned vicious, but perhaps because she thought that if she didn't turn vicious, she herself would be harmed. It So it was complex in that way, psychologically complex, and Pearl's kind of cute. You know she's she looks good at a picture in the newspaper, although she was never eager to have her photo taken. I think the only the only photos I've seen two photos of her, and they were reused. But one looks like a portrait that might have been taken on a formal occasion, and the other is a candid a profile. And I know that when she was photographed and photographers swarmed her later under different circumstances, she would put her hands.
Speaker 7: Over her face.
Speaker 5: She's not eager to be famous in that particular way.
Speaker 6: Story. Let's talk about another story, and I'm hopefully I don't mispronounce this one. Jean Ken Ye.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, Well, see, your guess is as good as mark.
Speaker 5: I think it's a pen yet, n Ye, I think yeah, I think I think you.
Speaker 7: Got it right.
Speaker 5: Hell else, Well, the story starts in a way that it's kind of warms my heart in a weird way. It's the story of a forty year old odd minister and his much younger wife who's been abused and ends up dead and floating in the Genesee River with a couple of bullets in her right, across the river from where I lived, and but that the thing that I like about this is that the body was found by a group of children. A guy named Leslie McMahon and a couple other kids saw the body, and they're.
Speaker 7: All still around.
Speaker 5: They're all still alive, and I got to talk to them. They agree very little on what exactly happened before and after the discovery of the body, as you might expect memory seventy one years after the factor, they're a little vague. But we went with Leslie McMahon's story because it agreed most with what the contemporaneous reports said. And he also testified at three trials, so we're pretty sure he's the kid who found the body. And he's ten years old. He went to Valentine's schools in school I went to from first to fourth. I think we had some of the same teachers. And he said he saw something in the river that caught his eye. He's fishing on a Saturday morning, and he thought it was a dressmaker's dummy, and he did stopped fishing because his dad wanted to know if he wanted to go to the store with him, and he said sure, packed up his gear, went to the store with dad, and came back and there were police cars there, and he immediately knew then that what he had seen was not a dressmaker's dummy, and he told police that he had been there and seen the body at nine p thirty that morning, and that meant he was the first to see it until he had that. So yeah, So snag down a log was the body of a dark haired woman. She was wearing a white silk dress, faded pink slip edge, with the black bra and pink rayon panties. She'd been shot twice with a twenty five automatic pistol and one of them went through her heart. Nobody knew who she was. Sheriff Albert Skinner. He was sheriff in Monroe County for forty some years. He's now appearing in for the fourth time. In one of my books, he invited people to come down to the morgue to look at the body to see if anybody could identify her, because he says that once we figure out who she is, we're going to know who the killer is. And as he so often was, Sheriff Skinner was right.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 5: Six hundred people show up to view the body and not a single one has any clue who she is, but because the body was found only hours after it went into the river, it was easily fingerprinted, and the FBI in a matter of hours matched the body's fingerprints to that of twenty five year old Jeane Hattennee. And she was a philharmonic violinist, the wife of an odd preacher named the Reverend George hit Tennie, so investigators called her her mom in Oakland, California, said that Jean's first husband had been killed in World War two the Battle of Lady Gulf in the Philippines, and that she'd remarried too soon. The mom thought, and the he Tennyees lived in Amherst, New York, which is closer to Buffalo than it is to Rochester. So Deputy Sheriff William Flynn drives to Buffalo. He picks up an escort from the Erie County Sheriff's deputies, and at two thirty in the morning, he knocks on Hittenye's door and her ten Yee answers, all stuffy and chilly. He told the cops his wife had run off, probably went to california'd be.
Speaker 7: With her mom.
Speaker 5: He didn't care anymore, didn't love her anymore. And they told him no, sorry, she's dead and she's in the Monroe County morgue. And the reverend seemed bizarrely unconcerned about the tragedy, right, So they put Antennee into the car and take him back to Monroe County and into the sheriff's apartment. The sheriff had an apartment then, maybe still does, I don't know, right down the hall from the jail. So the sheriff and the prisoners were neighbors. And Hettenya gets into the uh oh, they call him mister Attenney. He says, no, that's Reverend Antenny gets into the sheriff's apartment and has a temper tantrum, breaks a window, knocks over a lamp, and Sheriff Skinner, you know, pins him down and leans on him until he takes the fight out of him. This Sheriff Skinner had a reputation for a big man, big, big up and down, bigger round, and he could just lean on you and you couldn't breathe, and you didn't fight anymore. I don't think he did for eight minutes. Friends and relatives tell investigators that the ten Yees had a horrible marriage, that the reverend had lost jobs, because they had brawls in public. He once knocked out one of Jean's teeth. He proclaimed proudly for all to hear, that all wives need a good beating every now and again. So investigators began to wonder if this guy's a minister at all, Maybe he's just a con man. He'd been a Catholic priest, Episcopalian minister, a Greek Orthodox minister, and during tough times he took his forty seven old station wagon on the road and passed the offer tory hat. The car, which was found in his Amors garage, was a fully equipped portable church, had an organ that was powered by the more by the motor, had a collapsible altar. They asked his mother in law what religion is he, and she said he changes religions like a chamellion changes colors.
Speaker 1: Wow, with lucky Land slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: Nearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 1: Or sorry, we're here.
Speaker 3: We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 4: No lucky land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 3: In that case, I pronounce you lucky k for free.
Speaker 1: At Lucky landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary board. We're prohibited by Lack eight team plus terms and conditions of applag See website for details. With the Lucky land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 3: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just going to circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky landslipes dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by law eighteen plus terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 5: So cops and search the car and they find a clumsy attempt to clean the blood up, and then they find the twenty five caliber slug stuck inside the door of the car, and that's all Sheriff's Goinna has to hear book them. Sure, that's it, we got them. And it looks like an open and shutcase. But as it turns out that's only the beginning.
Speaker 6: He gets right away. His behavior is so incredible, incredibly odd. He thinks that he can't doesn't have to talk to the district attorney, Anthony Michelle, and he thinks that he's compromising his constitutional rights. Tell us what this attorney advises him and what does he say to police when asked? When question, well.
Speaker 5: I think the case. His future looks a lot brighter when he is appointed an attorney by the court. Says he can't afford his own attorney. He tries to get a couple of guys to represent him and ends up slamming the phone down, and he's appointed by the court representation by a guy named George Skivington of Scottsville. I went to school with his grandson, Peter, who's now a lawyer himself. And Skivington is a Perry Mason type. He's known for his out of the box thinking in courtroom theatrics. But even before he gets to attend attendan he's telling a story that he took his wife to a psychiatrist because she was crazy and driving him to distraction, and he comes home without her because she ran off. And this has happened before. But she always comes back up to three or four days. She contradicts what he said when he first saw the police, that she was probably on her way to California, but that's his story. Doesn't know where she is and his if the blood in the car isn't enough. Witnesses start to crop up saying that he was in Rochester.
Speaker 7: He was not.
Speaker 5: Only he was in downtown Rochester asking about how the river went and how you get upstream here, and he after the murder, he was back in Amherst at the dry cleaners, trying to get some bloodstained out of things, and he was changing his clothes in the dry cleaners, so he looks pretty guilty. And then George Skivington shows up and he fights for this guy like he's fighting for his own freedom. And usually court appointed the turnery attorney's usually saying, well, let's see if we can make a deal and avoid a trial. Not George, he says, well on the police never found the murder weapon. They dragged the Genesee River, they used a metal detector, no gun. And two they don't know where the crime took place. The attendees lived near Buffalo, the body's found near Rochester. Who knew where the case should be tried, and as it turns out, there are three trials. His convictions keep being overturned. I mean, once he's convicted the first time of second degree murder and then at the second trial he's convicted a first degree murder and sentenced, but that's ruled that's ruled double jeopardy because once the first jury said second degree murder, first of murder had to be off the table, right, And you know, his final con job comes in nineteen sixty six. He'd been in prison for seventeen years, usually just awaiting a new trial, and he told the court that to avoid a fourth trial, he would plead guilty to manslaughter, and in exchange for time served, he promised that he would join a monastery and become a monk. But that's uh, that was a con as well, because he walks out of attic a prison a free man weeks later, but he doesn't joined a monastery. In fact, he marries a much younger woman and moves to the American Southwest, where he lives out his years and finally dies in nineteen seventy seven at the age of sixty seven.
Speaker 6: Incredible, with all that overwhelming evidence, and it looks again like every single time that there's enough to convict him. And this incredible result where he does very little time to almost time served and walks out a free man, unbelievable.
Speaker 5: And it's it brings up an interesting legal question that if you have crime scenes that are in different jurisdictions, where do you hold the trial and who does the investigation? But it shouldn't be a matter of you know, the guy gets to go free because of that.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, it's it's also an example too that once you get two or three trials in the prosecution seems to put their hands in the air and say enough is enough in terms of money risked, money you know, spent. And that's why you get such a dramatic deal in this fourth trial, isn't it?
Speaker 5: That's that is that is correct and uh And until he agrees to plead guilty to manslaughter, he never ever admits to killing his wife.
Speaker 7: No, which.
Speaker 5: Which is you know, the smart thing to do if you happen to have killed somebody, you never say it out loud.
Speaker 6: Certainly, Now let's talk about another on the opposite side of religion. But at least it's some tie this incredible story. The Baby in the Convent again, incredible sentencing, incredible trials and incredible end results. Let's talk about this Baby in the Closet in a place Brighton and Our Lady of Lord's Convent, well St.
Speaker 7: Joseph.
Speaker 5: It's a famous story because it has been turned into a movie, Agnes of God. It was a play, there was a book called Unholy Child, but they were all fictionalized. Baby in the Convent is the first, as far as I can tell, story of what actually happened using the character's real names. It's the first true crime treatment of this case. And part of that I think is because of its sensitive nature. But yeah, during the nineteen seventies, Our Lady of Lords Convent in Brighton was a quiet place. Its residents were all nuns, mostly teachers at local parochial schools. Very last place where you'd expect to have a crime scene. But it was Tuesday, April twenty seventh, nineteen seventy six, it was a crime scene. That was the day that thirty five year old sister Maureen Murphy, the former Carol A.
Speaker 7: Murphy.
Speaker 5: She was an eighteen year veteran of the convent and she was found bleeding heavily from the vagina in her room by her fellow nuns. Now Carol Murphy had been born in Rochester. She was a lifelong Rochesterian. Her dad had recently died, which may have been a psychological factor in what happened. Her mom, Helen, had moved to Florida. She had two brothers and a sister, and she she had a little little episode that year. She was a graduate of Nazareth Academy class of nineteen fifty seven, Lake Avenue in City of Rochester and the sisters of Saint Joseph ran Nazareth Academy. So if you wanted to go from high school graduate to being a nun, that was a smooth transition. And she took Maureen as her nun name. Excuse me now. In addition to becoming a nun, she attended Nazareth College, earned a Bachelor of Science degree in history nineteen sixty five and then a master's degree in education, and since the autumn of nineteen seventy five she'd been the administrator at Trinity Montessori School in Pittsburgh, which is posh sections in the county, and she was considered an expert in preschool education and was often consulted for advice from other parochial schools in the diocese, an advocate for children. Irony of all ironies. So back at the convent, Sister Marines found bleeding bled everywhere. One nun calls an ambulance and Sister Maureene is rushed to the hospital. A tiny woman four or eleven, normally less than one hundred pounds, and doctors quickly determined that Sister Maureene had just given birth. This was news to all of her neighboring nuns, who said they had no idea she was pregnant, and certainly had no idea how she got that way. So bizarrely, this stukes me one of the most bizarre things about the story. Instead of notifying police are calling an ambulance, the doctors at the hospital told the nuns who had brought Sister Marene in to go back to the convent and search for the baby. Those nuns did as they were told and quickly made a horrifying discovery. They found a lifeless male infant in a plastic waste basket that had been placed behind a bookcase and out of view in Sister Maureene's room.
Speaker 7: The baby had.
Speaker 5: A cloth stuffed in its mouth and down its throat. A blue woman's nightgown was tied around its neck, and the nuns who found the baby, they took it out of the waste basket, wrapped it in a blanket, and took it to Genesee Hospital, where it was pronounced dead. The ambulance attendants who had taken sister Maureene to the convent were asked if they signing suspicious when they were picking her up, and they said, oh, we made a cursory examination of the area, but we didn't see anything. We didn't make a thorough search. Concentration was on the bleeding woman. There was no thought that she'd just given birth because while she's a nun.
Speaker 6: So he went to doctor Edlund. The autopsy was done by doctor Edlund, and it's mandatory when there's a suspicious death. What were the results of the autopsy.
Speaker 5: Well, doctor Edlund performs the autopsy with doctor George Abbott, his assistant, and they found that the child weighed six pounds twelve ounces and had been born alive. He could tell that this had been the case because there were traces of oxygen in the infant flugs and intestinal track, and the child had lived, but only for a matter of minutes. The theory was that sister Maureen was freaking out and was afraid that her secret would be discovered when the child cried, and in order to keep the child from crying, she jagged it and asphyxiated it. About a weird coincidence. I don't know if you remember Beck in the book Nightmare in Rochester, we talked about a pet store that sold baby bunnies right across the street from a pedophile and there was an article in the newspaper about the baby bunnies the morning of one of the double initial murders. And we found out that the pet shop sister was sister Rita, who taught at Corpus Christie School and had been Michelle Maenza's teacher a year earlier. Well, it turns out that sister Rita is a neighbor of sister Marine, lives down the hall. And you know, we tried to get an interview with her because what but an amazing life hurts what odd proximity to tragedy she's had. Yeah, I mean, sister Rita and I feel like I feel like we're in the same club that the horrible things happened to people who are close to us.
Speaker 7: Yea.
Speaker 5: Anyway, just when they thought the situation couldn't get any freak, here doctors at the hospital tells Sister Maureene that she's had a baby and the baby has passed away, and she looks at them like they have two heads. She says, what baby. I wasn't pregnant. That's ridiculous. I'm a virgin, and then, as if on cue, she delivers the after birth.
Speaker 7: H yeah.
Speaker 5: So they do a canvassing of the convent. They can't find a single nun with whom Sister Maureene shared her secret. You couldn't find a single nun who suspected she was pregnant. They all knew she was putting on weight, and she said, well, you know when she does put on weight, it's always in the tummy. So there was a question were the nuns unusually unobservant or were they liars. It seemed hard to imagine them being liars. Pregnancy in just about every case is very difficult thing to mask, especially true when you're a tiny woman. Some thought that nuns had to know the only other possibility was that a nun being pregnant was so unthinkable that they couldn't think it. You know, when did you know something was wrong with sister Maureene, police asked, and the consensus was they first knew something was wrong the more of the birth. She called in six She didn't make it into work, said she had a tummy ache, and when they came at noontime to check on her, they found her in a pool of blood. So that law enforcement in Monroe County is starting to feel a little shell shocked. It was a bizarre time for them. Right at the same time that sister Mariane had her son, a seven year old Michelle McMurray was found dead outside her apartment building on Rochester's J Street. She'd been left alone by her young mom in the middle of the night, went to a corner bar to buy a pack of cigarettes and came back with a man and she was gone. Those thought that that was the fourth double initial murder turned out to be a separate case that was solved by DNA technology years later. And as I wrote about that with my buddy investigator Don Tubman in Nightmare in Rochester, there's also a serial lapist on the loose in Rochester, and some thought maybe this explained sister Maureene's jam. Since late March, three girls aged ten or seventeen had been raped in Rochester's nineteenth ward. Two college girls at the University of Rochester had been raped on campus at knife point, and now they had a baby in a convent. Maybe that was connected.
Speaker 7: But they did.
Speaker 5: An investigation into sister Maureen's recent past and they discovered that nine months before she gave birth, she'd gone to Connecticut on vacation and she stayed at her sister's summer house, and she dressed in civilian clothes and didn't necessarily say that she was a nun. And she met a man and two men from the District attorney's office and a cop went to talk to the guy in Connecticut to see what they could find out. And the guy said, look, I did not know she was a nun. I did not know she became pregnant, and I would appreciate it if my name is kept out of it.
Speaker 6: And it was wow, yeah, different times.
Speaker 5: In May one, nineteen seventy six, sister Marine is booked in her hospital bed on suspicion of murder, and what follows is young next to Pearl and Jimmy O'Dell. Yeah, one of the truly bizarre trials in Monroe County history. And we have you talk about it the coverage in Mosquito Point Road.
Speaker 6: You talk about attorney Charles Cremey coming in, and it's crucial, of course, what attorney and that attorney's strategy at trial. What does he set out to do at this trial? How does he try to portray this crime? And this woman.
Speaker 5: Well emphasizes the loss of blood, that that sister Maureen had bled a lot during childbirth, and that she was in such a state of shock due to the trauma of childbirth and the loss of blood that she could not be held responsible for her actions after the birth. And there seemed to be some merit in that, although my instincts tell me that there's a certain amount of lingering involved.
Speaker 7: I'm always suspicious of.
Speaker 5: People who remember everything except for committing murder. Right, and I must have I must have blacked out temporary insanity. But sister Maureene eventually does remember.
Speaker 4: Hello, it is Ryan. And we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic doing the dishes, counting her steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games that you can play for free anytime anywhere, with daily bonuses. That's your bright New daylone actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 1: No necessary daily lost in terms, condition is eighteen pluss.
Speaker 5: She's not a virgin, and she does remember that she was pregnant, and she remembers reading books to learn about pregnancy, but she never ever admits to remembering killing your child, although at one point.
Speaker 7: She says, I must have done it. I was the only one there.
Speaker 6: Mm hmm. It's interesting she being, yeah, it's interesting. She talks about intent. When we talk about intent to kill. They asked her about if she ever considered she knew. She does admit she was, She knew she was pregnant, Other people knew. She went to other people as well. What did she say she would do as an option? What were her plans with this baby? And when they asked her about abortion again, what was her response? We spoke to her intention.
Speaker 5: She was horrified at the thought of abortion. She said, I could never hurt a child. Her plan was to keep the baby, and although plans seems like a strong word, because she knew that in order to do that, she would have to leave the convent, and she had never made any plans to leave the convent. I think she had procrastinated. She thought she had a couple more weeks to go before she was going to give birth. The going into labor caught her by surprise, and she really didn't have any plans for the future. And as it turned out, because she she killed the child, so it's hard to take too soon seriously. Her plans to be a single mom, she said, really far away from there. She couldn't even admit that she was with child.
Speaker 6: Yet at trial too. One of the hurdles, and if we go back to the description of the crime scene as well, when they found the baby in that wastebasket with the nightgown wrapped around her neck and the cloth deep down her throat or reportedly a pair of panties or some cloth, how did they deal with it? How did the defense deal with those issues?
Speaker 5: Well, I think.
Speaker 7: The defense.
Speaker 5: Said that sister Marrinen at the time that she was killing the baby. Wasn't aware she was killing the baby. She was merely trying to keep the baby quiet because sister Rina had just come home and was outside the door, and the secret would be out as soon as the baby started to cry, and she you know the system. Mariene admitted that she remembered the baby being born, She remembered seeing his arm move, but she never admitted to hearing the baby make a sound, and that maybe because the baby didn't that the stuffing the cloth into the mouth was meant to silence the child, although it's hard to imagine the cloth getting quite that deep down the baby's throat without there being an intent to kill.
Speaker 7: That's just me.
Speaker 6: When you talk about the trial itself, she decided with her attorney not to have a jury and judge alone. It might seem obvious why, but tell us about that decision.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, they opt to have her guilt or innocence be determined solely by a judge. I suspect that's because they knew which judge was going to be presiding over the trial, and they felt that they would get a fair deal out of him. The end of the case is very very strange in that he deliberates, comes back, acquits her without comment, not guilty, walks out of the courtroom, and goes on vacation and never ever explains the reasoning behind his decision. And that one of the my favorite quotes is that there were of course nuns in the courtroom who were there in support of Sister Maureene, and one of them said the other, oh, I knew she didn't do it. It was not exactly what happened here, But I mean, I've expiracy theories that the Catholic Church made a sizeable contribution to the judge's re election campaign just to make it a little easier for him to make up his mind. And to be fair, I mean, who really wanted to see Sister Maureene put in prison? She had, I think, established a prison for herself that she would always have to live in for the rest of her life. Didn't make any difference if she was in jail or not.
Speaker 6: Yeah, was she a sympathetic And also she took the stand, which again doesn't happen all the time. It's very fair, and in this book you have many cases of the defendant taking the stand and very dramatic courtroom testimony. What was her testimony like in terms of sympathy? Which was the end result in terms of the jurors were a sympathetic and would that also allow for maybe the judges feelings as well?
Speaker 5: Oh sure, Oh sure. Sister Maureen could not be cuter. She is a very sympathetic character. She's soft spoken, she's sweet, pious. To equate her with the horrible thing that happened was very, very difficult for anyone to do, and she was She sounded naive but educated on the stand. I mean, she talked about reading books to learn about what was happening to her body, and she talked about her embarrassment to tell the other nuns about her situation. And she says that she started to feel otherworldly after she gave birth and described physically shock and how one might feel from extreme loss of blood, and some of it sounded a little bit rehearsed, but overall, uh, she it's hard to be angry with her. Nobody was ever angry with Sister Maureene. People instinctively felt sorry for her because she had made a mistake in Connecticut and over what must have been an agonizing nine months of keeping a secret. She never had the courage to face the dilemma.
Speaker 7: She was in.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm, yeah, I've had I've had people ask me, well, what happened to sister Maureene said, well, sister Maureen fell out of public life. She was never heard from again, and you know that's she is stuck with her own guilt forever.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, let's talk about another story again. All of these are close to home for you, but this one you got a message or aparton me. You spoke to your mother and oh right, there was a person you'd play baseball with, Dave Harmon, And then you were talking to your mother a few years later and she asked, do you remember this Dave Harmon? And you asked, why tell us about.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, that's a first time.
Speaker 5: The picture in the book of Dave Harmon and me together and our well, yeah, I think we were ten years old at the time. I was second basement, who was first basement, was tall. I remember him being a very good glove man. If my throat was in the dirt, he'd scoop it up. And we didn't go to the same school because he lived on the other side of Childie, but we saw each other as teenagers. A few times we ran into each other grocery stores or something. Whatever it was, said Hi. Then in nineteen eighty two, I was already living in New York City by that time, my mom calls me and says, you remember Dave Harmon. I said sure, no, why and she said he's been murdered. Now these were the days long before the internet. So my mom clipped out the article in the Democrat and Chronicle and mailed it to me and said that David graduated in nineteen seventy five, so he was a year younger than he went to all of that Nazarene College in Kankakee, Illinois, south of Chicago, and he was very involved in the Nazarene church. And he married a girl really pretty, a little bit of a bubblehead, named Melinda Lambert. They got married when they were barely twenty at the Grace Church of the Nazarene in North Chaila.
Speaker 7: And then they.
Speaker 5: Moved to Kansas, to Aleitha, Kansas, famous for being the residence of the killers and in cold blood when they committed those crimes, but it had become a church town. Nazarene church pretty much ran things it's a much bigger place now and the church doesn't have quite as much influence. And the article in the paper didn't give a lot of details. They said Dave died of massive head injuries inflicted with a blunt object during my home invasion. And for years that was all I knew. But later my interest was rekindled and I learned more details about the crime. And it was about two thirty am on February twenty eighth, nineteen eighty two, and the Harman's next door neighbor, Gale berg Strand, heard thumping noises on the other side of her bedroom wall. They came from the next apartment and she woke up her husband, but the sound stopped well. Gail couldn't get back to sleep. There's something sinister about the sounds, as if someone was beating a side of beef with a baseball back. About an hour and a half later, there's a loud knocking on the berg Strands front door, and Gail knew right away that it was connected to the flacking noise. And at the door is Melinda Harmon, Dave's wife, and she has a small bruise on her cheek and she seems on autopilot, she's in shock, and she told them that she and her husband had been attacked. So the bergshman's call the police and police arrived, and Melinda says a couple of black guys had broken into the apartment and assaulted her and her husband. She said that she and Dave were asleep when she was awoken at two twenty by the sound of her husband being attacked the two men. The two men had entered the house downstairs to her exciting glass door and which she had carelessly forgotten in the lock, and they demanded the keys to the patron's bank where Dave worked. So she gave the men the keys and she was taken downstairs. Now, she told the police she overheard one of the guys say to the other, I think I hit him too hard. I think I might have killed him. One man then struck her in the face and knocked her unconscious, and when she came to more than an hour later, she ran next door to call the police. All right, the cops said, let's go next door and see. I found Dave in bed dead and their first thought is that he'd been shot in the face with a shotgun. Was the most brutal crime scene these policemen had ever seen. Upon a closer examination, they found that he had been beaten in overkill fashion in the face and head with a round, hard object. So Gail next door was pretty close when she was imagining the baseball back hitting the side of beats. The scene communicated deep anger. Must be exhausting to hit a guy fourteen times like that, and Dave never saw it coming. He'd been attacked to his sleep and his brain matter was splattered across the bedroom wall. He'd been struck in the face between twelve and fourteen times seven and seven, just like Gale heard, and one of his eyeballs had been knocked from its socket and was found on the rug several feet from the bed, but the weapon was missing well. Melinda's treated at the scene for her minor injuries by an EMT who does not believe a word she's saying. This guy has seen injuries that caused a person to lose and there's tremendous swelling. He would expect a person who'd been knocked cold to have bleeding on the brain, partial amnesia, loss of balance. In the majority of cases where people are not cold, they're only out for a minute or two. To be knocked unconscious for over an hour, the injury would have to be traumatic. And here's this woman with a little bruise on her cheek. And also she's up and about and she's talking and functioning and asking cops if they want coffee. And it's not what you'd expect from a person with a concussion. So she claimed to have been in bed beside Dave when the attack began, that she has no blood on her face or head, and the only blood was on the bottom of her nightgown. That's indicated to the investigators that she's been standing a safe distance away when the splatter began. Her pillow, on the other hand, is well splattered and covered with blood.
Speaker 7: Sure, yeah so.
Speaker 5: And when police first arrive, Belinda doesn't seem overly concerned about her husband. It's like Reverend at Tenne. It's not in grief. She learned he was dead, and the first call she makes is not to her dad or to the church. She calls her and Dave's best friend, Mark Mangelsdorf, who comes over right away. And even though it's the middle of the night, Mark arrives with wet hair as if he just stepped out of the shower, and in charge of the homicide investigation is Detective Vernon Wilson of the Metropolitan Major Case Investigation Squad. Detective Wilson drops the bank key's angle completely and focuses his investigation as he should, on Melinda's relationship with Mark Mangelsdorf's Marks. Mark's a student at Nazarene College. He's he goes to school at the place where Melinda works. There's only a few blocks away from the Harmons. He can't really account for his whereabouts at the time of the murders, as he was home alone sleeping. Investigators asked around, and they learned that Mark was a college superstar who was expected to go far in life, really smart, really had his act together good, and that the Harmons and Mangelsdorf has been quite the threesome. Mark was good friends with both Dave and Melinda. Dave and Mark played hockey together. We know Dave's a jock, and sometimes it was weird because Mark's carr would be in the Harmon's driveway even though Dave's wasn't there. And the biggest complicated cating factor in the investigation is Melinda's dad, Jay Wilmer Lambert, and he's a big wig in Oleitha. He's an upper echelon official in the church and had a lot of elected officials afraid of him. And you couldn't get elected in Oletha without the church's approval, and Lambert had a lot to say about who didn't didn't get approved. So it appeared to Detective Wilson that Melinda's dad was doing his best to keep the investigation from following its natural course. Every time he wanted to interview Melinda, Lambert's screen bloody murder grabbed his daughter and dragged her away. Now I think in a lot of places Lambert would have been charged with obstruction of justice. But in Oleitha, his tactics work and no attempt is made to talk to Melinda, and the case goes cold for years and years and years. And then there's a new generation of law enforcement in Oleatha, which includes a relentless comp named Bill Wall two thousand and one. He gives the case of fresh look, and he decides to drop in unexpectedly on Melnda and Mark wherever they might be and see how they react to questions that should have been asked them long before I knew it was going to be a long road to hope because Melinda's remarried. She's a soccer mom living in a big house in a nice neighborhood. And Mark is a millionaire. He's an executive with a major corporation, and they can both afford excellent lawyers. And as is true if most of the stories in Mosquito point Road, the dramatic conclusion of the story takes place in a courtroom.
Speaker 6: You talk about the primitive forensic situation the police were in at the time. This is twenty years later and a fresh look at this is DNA part of that fresh look or is it just something that they say is part of this fresh look.
Speaker 7: Well, Bill Wall's really smart.
Speaker 5: He finds both of the suspects alone when he talks to them, so they don't have an opportunity to compare notes. In fact, they haven't seen each other in years. I don't know if you remember the story of double indemnity and postman always rings twice. Whenever couples get together the murder the husband, they always think that they're going to go on and live happily ever after. But that's not the case because it's hard to build a relationship around a shared murder, and Melinda and Bill go their separate ways. So Bill Wall takes on Melinda first, and she makes some coffee and they're sitting around and she says, we'll kind of tell us what happened that night, and she says, well, first of all, the guy came in, he was wearing a ski mask. I couldn't see who it was. And right away he knows that he's got her because the original story was that there were two black guys, no mention of a scheme mask. Now it's one guy wearing a scheme mask, and Melinda, who is doesn't seem to have a guilty bone in her body and her own bubbly guilt giggly way talks for a long time before she realizes that she should shut up and call a lawyer. Yeah, now with Mark Mangelsdorff, that they use a bluff because Mark knows right away he should have a lawyer president if he speaks at all, and he's probably not gonna say anything, but they tell him, you know, well, well we've we've got the new DNA technology, so we pretty much know what happened. And they convince Melenda to cut a deal and testify against Mark, and again I think they end up getting convictions out of the deal. But both of those killers are currently walking free hopefully listening to this killed my first basement.
Speaker 6: You talk about. Part of that is the the defense attorney Michael Skagell And he's famous for getting off Kennedy cousin for the murder of Martha Moxley in Greenwich, Connecticut. Uh So he's a prestigious lawyer and and that's why he's hired.
Speaker 5: I thought that Michael skagle was convicted.
Speaker 6: Well we anyway, I mean who is Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, rich kids don't go to prison forever.
Speaker 6: M hm. It was still a great outcome anyway. So that's the cemented his reputation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the thing of the Martha Moxley case, of course, he's fascinating. But the thing about Michael Staekle is he made a crucial mistake. He explained evidence that the police had not yet found. Sure now you see he says that, you know, if you find any DNA in the lawn outside the Moxley house, that's because I used to climb up the tree and watch Martha through her bedroom window and masturbate. And the police are going, what, we didn't find any DNA in the lawn, but there was an admission like that. It tends to make the spidey sense go off in a detective.
Speaker 6: Now back to the prosecution set for or Melinda and Mark. You talk about the everything decided at these trials, and Mark has obviously a good lawyer. What happens they have separate trials? What happens with her trial on me?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, some of his courtroom. Actually I would prefer people read for themselves.
Speaker 7: Uh, but they.
Speaker 5: Belinda, Belinda's not that quick on the update, and she says that she knows in her heart that Mark was the killer. Doesn't really explain how she's standing a safe differance away from the attack when it begins, or why it took so many blows. But why anybody was angry with with Dave Harmon in the first place? I mean, she did they were they went to a church where you couldn't you weren't supposed to get divorced. But what had Dave done to deserve this? I'm not I'm not sure I quite understand the deal. Why all the anger? If Mark and Melinda wanted to have an affair? Uh? All right, get a divorce, or just do it on the sly. As far as I could tell, Dave's big crime was he was putting on weight and Melinda no longer found him sexy, and she just found another tall guy who was going to start up with him, but she couldn't face the voice. And in this sense, it reminded me a little bit about Sister Maureen, that she's so afraid of the church that she's willing to commit the ultimate crime to avoid embarrassment in front of her religious community. Yeah, again does play a big part in this book, doesn't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And the idea that divorce would be more shameful or too much of a shameful event. Meanwhile they contemplate murder, and also the idea that he goes on to again And we could say, oh, psychopathic, but it doesn't. It doesn't. It seems so strange that he can go on, have other children, have a life, have a successful business, and even the court seems to look at him that way, and he returns to the streets a free man. That he could compartmentalize that event and move on is incredible.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I think that that Mark is a genuine sociopath. I suspect that he had the right stuff to make it in business, which involves some of the strong points that sociopas have. He doesn't feel conscious, he's superficially charming. Being tall helps in the corporate world as well. And he could also brutally kill a man without ever really losing any sleep about it. And his wife seemed faithful to him. She was looking forward to getting him out of prison as quickly as possible so they could go on with their lives and raise their children. Continue with the American Dream and how he didn't wreck his chances at the American Dream that night in the Harmon's apartment is beyond me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I agree with you there. Now we have two more stories that we should just briefly summarize, the Blue Guardina and Pure Slash Evil before we have to let you go. But let's talk about those two stories, okay.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 5: The Blue Guardenia Story is an article I wrote for five eight to five magazine in Rochester publisher and editor Jane Millerman good Lady, and it is about the mafia war that took place in the city of Rochester during the late seventies and eighties, and a fellow from New York named Joseph mad Dog Sullivan, who was a freelance professional killer, and by the time he got to Rochester in nineteen eighty one, he was already a legend. He's the only man ever to escape from Attica Prison. He once escaped from a jail on Governor's Island in New York Harbor by swimming to Brooklyn, and it was winter at the time, and as a pro killer he was the best. He at least thirty notches on his gun, including Westy's boss Mickey. And he's brought into Rochester by his old football buddy at Attica who needs a guy hit a guy named Johnny Flowers Fiorino, And the things are a little bit complicated by the fact that surprise, surprise, it's December and Rochester and there's a big snowstorm and the murder takes place in the parking lot of the Blue Gardenia restaurant, which sounds like a film noir movie I've ever heard one. And he is with a Rochesterian who we call Hulk, and Hulk is a bodybuilder, not terribly bright, but he knows Rochester streets and he cannot id Fiorino, so that Sullivan will know he's killing the right man. But once the murder is accomplished, Hulk loses.
Speaker 7: His cool and.
Speaker 5: Drives in the middle of the snowstorm out of the Blue Guardians parking lot into the middle of Empire Boulevard and Irondi Quoit, right in front of an Arondi Quoit policeman who sees a car coming out of a bar parking lot, you know, driving erratically and figures he's got a drunk driver. But he ends up, of course, running into true trouble and there's a big shootout. And the other story, Pure Slash Evil, is about murder of a beautiful woman named Stephanie Joey Kobchinsky, and she's a little bit famous. Even before she became famous for being a victim, she was a very talented violinist, performed in public many times. Grew up in New Jersey and she had a job in nineteen ninety one as a music teacher. Has three grammar schools in the town of Greece, and she lived in the Newcastle of Departments, also in the time of Greece, where the super was a piece of human garbage named Eda Larabee. He would be the evil part of the title, and the story of Larabine and poor Stephanie is the final story in the book.
Speaker 6: Now, this is certainly a compilation of six fascinating historical true crime stories and so close to your childhood home and connection to you geographically but yet personally. We mentioned in the title that three of the killers are female. Again, how rare is some of these stories with the predominant killers and such savage killers are female. And also that the idea of these killers being female, but also the trials themselves and these people testifying at trials and these dramatic court cases involving these women. How unusual all the stories that you've done. How unusual are some of these stories that you present in this six fascinating historical true crime stories.
Speaker 5: They're they're very rare when women kill, they because they're they're often at a physical disadvantage with their intended victim. They tend to use passive methods. The women tend to poison mm HM and to have one of one of the female murderers wielding a metal object, a second standing by while her boyfriend smashes her husband's head to a pulp, and the third killing a perfectly innocent newborn child. It's very rare, and it's hard to believe that wasn't my intent when I I've started to put these stories together, I really was coming at it geographically. The fact that we had so much religion and so many female killers is a bizarre coincidence. Although you know that's the kind of thing you liked, and you got to buy the book because it's there, even if that wasn't my original intent.
Speaker 6: You also quote the wilderness behind your childhood house was a hotbed for violent crime, unfortunately for some, but fortunately for the readers of your books.
Speaker 7: Listen it well, Thank you, Dan.
Speaker 5: I try to tell these stories largely because there are lessons to be learned here. Now, I mean somewhere out there, I'm hoping is a woman who is unhappy with her husband and has a boyfriend, and the boyfriend saying, you know that life would be a lot better if he wasn't around. I hope they gives a second thought to doing committing murder, that the easier ways to go about it. I hope somewhere out there there's a a young woman who's who's pregnant and is embarrassed to let anybody know her condition and is wondering what she's going to do after she gives birth, who realizes that the baby is a precious human being and deserves to be treated that way, despite the circumstances of his origin. And you know, I hope that there's there's a young woman out there whose husband is older and mean to her, who knows enough to, you know, get the heck out of the house, not to wait around until that kind of relationship reaches its inevitable end.
Speaker 6: Yes, certainly, it's certainly fascinating stories, fascinating trials, and then even more fascinating verdicts. So this is a credible treat. Mosquito Point Road, Monroe County, murder, and certainly mayhem. Thank you very much, Michael Benson. It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 7: Thank you for those that.
Speaker 6: Might want to take a look. Well, thank you for those that might want to take a look. Tell us about your website and Facebook pages.
Speaker 5: If so, well, yeah, you can find me on Facebook as author Michael Benson. And I'm I'm the Michael Benson with the white beard, like recently shaved because of quarantine and heat, but I'm the guy with the white beard and the Mosquito Point Road, and all of my books are available on Amazon dot com, where you can also look me up and put all of my books on one page for yourself.
Speaker 6: Well, just before I go, I want to apologize once again because it must be built a second or third time, to the beautiful town of Chili for its name, CHAILI I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Oh you know, and we're still used to it.
Speaker 6: Oh, thank you, thank you so much, thank you, Michael Bennetton, thank you. Good night, take her good night.