Speaker 1: In twenty thirteen, a Florida couple was arguing in their home. It wasn't out of the ordinary, In fact, it was rather common for their relationship. However, things took a turn for the worse when one pulled out a gun and shot their partner dead. Then, for whatever reason, they decided to post pictures of their body on Facebook, and then they walked into the police station to turn themselves in. This is the cold story of Derek Medina and the murder of Jennifer Alfonso.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim.
Speaker 3: A true crime podcast. The following.
Speaker 1: Your audience.
Speaker 3: Rush happy end of the week.
Speaker 1: It is Friday, or if you're listening to this on the day it's posted, it's Friday, which means the weekend's just a few hours away.
Speaker 2: Or a lot of people might listen on the weekend.
Speaker 1: You know exactly we posted this. It's almost the weekend. If it's the weekend while you're listening, just celebrate that weekend. Take that extra little relaxing time you deserve it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do, you know, working for ourselves, though I don't even really know what a weekend is anymore. I want to change that because like, my busy time is usually the weekend. Like SAT people are like, oh, have a good weekend, But that's usually when I'm like, you know, going hard here.
Speaker 1: If you're working on the weekend, you can still say have a good weekend. A weekend is like a period of time.
Speaker 2: I guess, but it's not necessarily a weekend where you know, you get to rest a break. Yeah, have your little break and all that jazz.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, but you can still have a good weekend whether you're busy or working or not.
Speaker 2: Touche touche. But I'd like to have a weekend where it's actually resting.
Speaker 1: Well, you were going to be booking yourself a week off here soon. Maybe make sure that's going to be an effect and you're actually going to get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe that will happen. We'll see. Maybe we'll keep you updated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably not gonna happen for a while, but I'm rooting for you.
Speaker 2: Let's just say that, Hey, it's as happen next week. It's gonna happen. It's gonna happen in March. I think it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, Yeah, Well this is a concept we've covered on the show before where someone has done something and then posted explicit photos of a violent act onto social media, And in all honesty, I think in today's age, where social media is so ingrained into our society, we may see this happen more and more.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: It's very odd though it is, but.
Speaker 1: I do have high hopes because I mean a lot of people are against AI for many reasons, and I totally get it, but I do have high hopes that AI may actually be able to block these things from being seen as soon as they're uploaded.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean AI can be used for so many things, and I sometimes think we're using it for the things we should.
Speaker 1: Well, I do think that we are just in the tip of the iceberg when it comes to AI.
Speaker 2: Very true, so very true. I just saw something online though about it like potentially being able to predict breast cancer or certain cancers and stuff, and I'm like, Okay, that would be amazing. That could save a lot of lives.
Speaker 3: That would honestly, we should get into this though. Are you ready?
Speaker 2: I'm ready?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So this is as I mentioned the story of Derek Medina and the murder of Jennifer Alfonso. This story has also been dubbed the face book Killer.
Speaker 2: The Facebook Killer.
Speaker 1: Now, in a little bit of a Google search, this is not the only quote unquote Facebook killer story, but this story has been given that title along with a few others. Now, Derek Medina came into the world back in nineteen eighty two, right in the heart of Florida. He finished up high school at Coral Gables in two thousand and one. Now, if there's one thing you could say about Derek, it's that this guy couldn't really seem to pick a lane. He dabbled in just about everything. One of his proudest claims was that he was an undefeated amateur boxer, supposedly racking up twenty five wins with zero losses. Now, that's honestly a very impressive record, but that's also just according to him. Okay, Yeah, as far as I could find, there was no backup, nothing, no information to back up this claim.
Speaker 2: Really, Yes, okay, I mean, you can make up a lot of shit if you wanted to.
Speaker 3: You can.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've been to space, was I've an astronaut. I have been to the International Space Station, stayed there for three days and it came back down right on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that must have been quite an adventure.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It lasted only eight hours because it was a dream that I had the other night. But I digress. So now here's the thing though about Derek. He wasn't exactly shy about putting himself out there, and to be honest, that's like probably also his downfall.
Speaker 3: Let's be honest.
Speaker 1: Now, as far as I can tell, there wasn't that boxing record, But whether it was actually knocking people out in the ring as he so claimed, or maybe it was shooting hoops or trying his hand at golf. Derek saw himself as a guy that was destined for greatness at something. Writing was just another one of those things, one of his many hobbies, and he went on to publish a bunch of self published books. Now what kind of books.
Speaker 3: Did he write.
Speaker 1: Well, let's just let's just say that writing and editing and stuff it was not his strong suit.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: He seemed to think that the key to writing a best selling novel was apparently cramming as many words as he could onto the title of a book as he possibly could.
Speaker 2: Because of the title itself, means.
Speaker 3: Into the title of itself.
Speaker 1: Yes, so this is the title of one of his books that he wrote quote, how a judgmental, unselfish attitude is destroying the world we live in because the world is vanishing beneath our eyes.
Speaker 2: Holy okay, I've never heard of anything like that.
Speaker 1: Then he also wrote quote humans who are gifted and can see the supernatural spirit ghost world we live in called ghost haunted adventures.
Speaker 2: Huh okay.
Speaker 1: Then there's also quote how I saved someone's life, on marriage, on family problems, true communication, attention, world, save yourself, and if the world ended today, how would you react to saving the world or helping the world or would it be all over for you?
Speaker 2: Is that one book?
Speaker 3: That was one book?
Speaker 2: Okay? Because for some reason I thought there was a numerous in there.
Speaker 3: Nope.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I listed three books in totally Yes.
Speaker 2: But that last one, I'm like, that seems like that's too many topics.
Speaker 1: For one book that is a singular book title.
Speaker 2: Hey, but I also do have to say that I love Cake like the confidence because sometimes confidence is key to success, right, and he isn't lacking that. How he was like, I am going to be great at something or whatever, he's whatever. You said like that, I do like that.
Speaker 3: That is true.
Speaker 1: I mean, ignorance is bliss, as they say, and he was very ignorant to his lack of writing skills, but he was certainly confident that he was going to do it regardless.
Speaker 2: We'll do something and do something great. So I'm true right now, I almost feel like I'm rooting for him, which I'll be changing my mind.
Speaker 1: You most certainly will. But I mean, yeah, props to him for going out there and doing his best at some of these things. Hey, fly at it, that's awesome. But yeah, he didn't do the greatest.
Speaker 3: Put it that way.
Speaker 1: But no matter what he was chasing, whether it was boxing, writing, or whatever, new obsessions popped into his head all the time, it all seemed to and it all seemed to boil down to one thing. He wanted to be famous. He even took a crack at acting, managing to land a few tiny like background roles on TV one where he even had like a one one word line.
Speaker 2: Oh really, and he probably thought that was just the best shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, basically, he basically just was in enough to say he was technically on television. Okay, But for all his hobbies, his self published books, his dreams of stardom. Derek did eventually become famous, just not in the way he was hoping. Instead of landing in the spotlight for his quote unquote talents, Let's say he secured a place in history as a full blown grade a piece of shit murderer. So congrats, Derek, you made it. I just want to say that, But I am getting ahead of myself, so I digress.
Speaker 2: That is not making it. No, No, but I mean, like not in a good way.
Speaker 3: No, But he accomplished his goal technically.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, you could say that. Now.
Speaker 1: For a while, Derek tried his hand at a more regular job too. He worked as a property manager, though he couldn't seem to hold down a gig for long, in fact, much longer than a few months at best. And no surprise there with his what seemed to be like ADHD bouncing back and forth. Right now, At some point, Derek did cross paths with Jennifer Alfonso. Jennifer had her own challenges growing up. She attended South Dade High for a bit, but after having a baby girl as a teenager, she ended up leaving school. Later, she managed to go and earn her ged and by two thousand and nine was working as a waitress at a Denny's over on Bird Road near eighty seventh Avenue. That's where Derek came into the picture. He was a regular at the restaurant and the two hit it off. Derek was twenty six at the time and Jennifer was twenty one, and it didn't take long before the tour a officially a couple after just a few months of dating. They got married in January of twenty ten, just a couple months of dating and they were officially tying that nongl They knew, Hey, they knew now. At first, things looked pretty good. From the outside. Derek, Jennifer and Jennifer's young daughter Isabella.
Speaker 3: Played you know all. It was all just a big, happy family.
Speaker 1: It was a played out picture that we all see in our heads, a cinematic thing, you know, a happily ever after moment, and they made it all work. But behind the scenes, the not so picture perfect was the reality. Their relationship was rocky. To put it mildly. In fact, there were fights, breakups, and Derek reportedly kicked Jennifer out of the house more than once. One of her coworkers even remembered her showing up to shifts with fresh bruises.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They ended up getting a divorce in February of twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like two years.
Speaker 3: Two years later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that was hardly the end though. Just four months after the divorce, they were back together and remarried by April.
Speaker 2: Holy shit.
Speaker 1: By May, Jennifer had officially moved into Derek's two bedroom townhouse in Southwest sixty seventh Avenue, a place Derek had bought during their brief split up. Now at the time, Jennifer seemed hopeful about their fresh start. In a journal she was keeping, she wrote about moving in to what she described as a beautiful new home. But she didn't just write about the townhouse. She poured all kinds of feelings about her up center downs in the relationship with Derek into this journal.
Speaker 3: Now, she gave this journal.
Speaker 1: A pretty telling title, one that wasn't nearly as long as many of Derek's books. In fact, it's a pretty good title, The Mind of an Insane Woman. That's the time book.
Speaker 3: Just say.
Speaker 2: I shouldn't have laughed at that, but it was just that little dig at his book titles was good.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I didn't even write that down. I just off the cop was like, I gotta get this over now. One passage summed up things pretty pretty clearly. In her journal, she wrote quote, when we love each other, it's great. But when we hate each other, we hate each other. In another entry, she admitted on her own struggles with jealousy, writing quote, I became uncontrollably jealous, like want to murder type of deal.
Speaker 2: Who Okay, Well, yeah, it definitely sounds like their relationship is a wee bit on the rocky side.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: I think it's almost like a magnet situation. When you get the poles correct on a magnet. You know they attract, but you flip those magnets around, all of a sudden they're pushing apart. And I think it's just these poles switching constantly and it's this push pull between the two of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I also feel like passionate relationships are kind of like that too, where it's like it's so good, but then it can be so low too, Like, I don't know, haven't you heard that about passionate relationships sometimes? Right? Definitely, Oh, I don't know, it's kind of stressful though.
Speaker 1: I mean like the other day when you made me cookies, that was so good, but then when you made me walk the dogs out, I was like, oh, I don't want to, so I get you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I made a batch of cookies and they didn't even really last the night, so they were delicious.
Speaker 1: Now, one thing Derek and Jennifer definitely had in common was their fascination with all things weird, ghosts, the supernatural, you name it. They'd even go ghost on ghost hunting trips together, chasing down spooky stories and unexplained bump in the night sort of situations. Jennifer wrote about some of this stuff in her journal too, including her belief in zombies and her anxiety about a possible zombie apocalypse. One day, and when they moved into their southern Miami townhouse, Jennifer became convinced that their place was haunted as well. Now, they actually set up cameras inside their home, hoping to catch some of this evidence of ghostly visitors and such, but those cameras would later play a key role in this story.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: According to Jennifer's brother David Alfonso, a lot of these interests were sparked or at least encouraged by Derek. David had a few others who knew Derek, and they saw him as a pretty pretty bizarre guy. He was always online, constantly posting to social media, often sharing stuff that left people kind of scratching their heads. Most people knew who he was, but at the very least they also knew he was an odd ball. But Derek, he wasn't just quirky. There was a darker side to him too, one that showed up in Jennifer's journal. She wrote about both of their short tempers, but Derek's it could especially get nasty. One time, they were at a concert in West Palm Beach, the Mayhem Festival, which is apparently a metal music festival, and some guy accidentally spilt a beer on Jennifer. Most people would you brush it off, apologize or like, hey, watch yourself, whatever, right, maybe even curse a little bit and move on.
Speaker 3: But not Derek. In this situation, he pulled a gun on the guy.
Speaker 2: Ooh, I can't. He probably shouldn't even have that gun in there. No imagine their security, no kidding him, How the hell did he get it in?
Speaker 3: No idea, no.
Speaker 1: One around them, no one in the park. Your group of friends that went had any idea, idea that Derek even had this guy who was carrying at the time, So it completely shocked everyone.
Speaker 2: No shit.
Speaker 1: Now, luckily, no one got hurt and the situation didn't spiral out of control, but it was a clear sign Derek was always riding at that edge. Even with all the drama, it seemed like Derek and Jennifer did have love for each other, though they just couldn't keep things steady. The relationship swung back and forth between passion and pure chaos. Jennifer's friends were worried, and they had every right to be. They tell her straight up, quote, we think Derek's crazy. He might kill you one day, and I mean, Jennifer just kind of laughed it off.
Speaker 2: My goodness for a friend to be saying that, hey, you don't feel like that would come easy.
Speaker 3: No, definitely not.
Speaker 1: And so that friend most likely was was thinking on how to approach this accordingly right and clearly concerned for Jennifer's safety, but she never really thought anything of it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: On the night of August seventh, twenty thirteen, Jennifer and Derek were supposed to have a date night, but Derek being Derek, he overslept and never bothered to wake up his wife or.
Speaker 3: His stepdaughter either.
Speaker 1: Jennifer was furious, and the next morning the argument kicked off almost as soon as they were both awake. In the middle of their fight, Jennifer messaged her friend on Facebook. She vented about Derek and how he was supposed to wake her up the night before and how pissed she was. She described the tension between them, the frustration, the resentment, but there was no mention of anything getting physical at that point. After a little back and forth, her and her friend tried. Her friend sorry, tried to calm her down, and Jennifer actually thanked them for helping her feel better. That calm, though, didn't last long.
Speaker 3: Later on that.
Speaker 1: Morning, the fight escalated further. Jennifer started throwing whatever was nearby at Derek. I mean, nothing dangerous, just random stuff like mascaratubes, some boxes and towels. Now you want to say throwing things that someone isn't exactly Okay, let's be honest, let's be real. But these were hardly deadly weapons, right, so, yes, that is physical violence. Don't be doing that, but also don't escalate beyond that either, and Derek, well, he wasn't having it. Instead of walking away or cooling off, he stormed into the bedroom, opened up the closet, and grabbed his gun. Oh okay, he came back gun in hand, and things took a much darker turn. Now, what exactly happened next depends a bit on who you ask and what the I guess what side you are in the courtroom, let's put it that way, but the general version goes something like this. Derek pointed the gun at Jennifer and threatened to shoot her if she didn't cut it out and stopped throwing things at him. Now, Jennifer stopped, and she told him she was done, that she was leaving for good. She was done period.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if your partner pulls a gun on you, yeah, you probably should be done. I totally get that.
Speaker 2: I get that too.
Speaker 1: And she's like, I won't be here when you get back home later. Now, after that, she had a downstairs to the kitchen, probably gonna make breakfast for her ten year old daughter, Isabella, who was still upstairs. Derek wasn't done though, He put the gun away, but at around ten am, the home surveillance camera caught parts of what happened next. Derek went back into the bedroom, back to the closet and pulled the gun out again. Then, instead of staying, you know, right there, he followed Jennifer downstairs into the kitchen, gun in hand, ready to pick a fight again. What happens next comes straight from Derek's own statement to police. According to him, Jennifer grabbed a knife to defend herself.
Speaker 3: That's a quote.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So he comes down to the kitchen with a gun pointed out her again and Jennifer grabs a knife to defend herself, okay.
Speaker 3: He claimed.
Speaker 1: He managed to wrestle the knife away from her, and that's when, according to Derek, she started hitting him in the chest and in the arm, punching him. And then Derek pulled the trigger.
Speaker 2: And her daughter is literally upstairs or wherever is in the home.
Speaker 3: She's upstairs in the home. Yet.
Speaker 1: The only problem though, when Derek pulled that trigger, he pulled the trigger more than once. He emptied the entire magazine into Jennifer, eight shots in total, leaving Jennifer with twenty one entry and exit wounds, and by his own admission, every single bullet hit its mark.
Speaker 2: Holy I was not expecting that. Yeah, that is some serious rage. Hey.
Speaker 1: Minutes later, Derek stood over her body and snapped a photo.
Speaker 2: What the shit is that?
Speaker 1: Then, as if it was just another day, he went upstairs, told his stepdaughter not to come down stairs.
Speaker 3: He got dressed.
Speaker 2: She's probably already fucking terrified.
Speaker 3: Probably.
Speaker 1: He walked to the front door, and before leaving, took another last look at Jennifer's lifeless body laying in the kitchen floor.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm just like left the home and left the home. Okay, holy shit.
Speaker 1: Now, at exactly eleven eleven am, Derek posted to his Facebook page with the message that read, so this is the following caption that accompanied that photo quote, I'm going to prison or death sentence for killing my wife. Love you guys, miss you guys. Take care of Facebook people. You will see me in the news. My wife was punching me and I'm not going to stand anymore with the abuse. So I did what I did. I hope you understand me.
Speaker 2: I don't really think anyone can fully understand that they should have just left each other like no, no, I mean, it's so much easier than done.
Speaker 3: For sure, It's way easier said than done.
Speaker 2: But but he was done with it then just like leave.
Speaker 1: I guess right, exactly, you don't have to kill someone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, put it that way.
Speaker 2: Empty, Uh, all the bullets and a gun kill someone right when the kid is upstairs?
Speaker 3: Exactly. Now.
Speaker 1: He even said she pulled the knife in defence. He brought the gun to her first, he admits that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so he yeah, he literally just like dug himself a grave there.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: So, not only he wasn't trying to hide, he wasn't trying to defend himself. He wasn't trying to get out of a situation. He was following her and pursuing a situation with a weapon in hand. That is the key difference between someone in a toxic situation and can't get out and him doing what he did.
Speaker 3: Let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, she was clearly the one in the toxic situation.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: And also she must not have like, I don't I bet anything. She didn't believe that he would actually pull the trigger on her.
Speaker 1: No, and I do think that. I mean, hey, I'm not saying she wasn't toxic either, because she very well could have been. I mean, clearly she was throwing stuff at him right like that in itself.
Speaker 2: That's not not totally innocent kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Exactly, But it doesn't mean that any of this is okay, you know, like you can't fucking pull a gun on someone and chase them, which is exactly what he did.
Speaker 2: Not innocent, but not deserving whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Now, as if this wasn't horrifying enough, though, this caption that he put on Facebook. The photo following was her, her dead body sprawled on the floor, with the caption rip Jennifer Alfonso.
Speaker 2: What is he thinking now?
Speaker 1: At the time, Derek worked as a front desk supervisor at an apartment complex, and before turning himself in, he actually called two of his coworkers to let them know he wouldn't be coming in the reason, of course, you know we as we know he told them because you know, he just shot and killed his wife.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine getting that call? Yeah, I don't think I would believe.
Speaker 3: It, I know.
Speaker 1: Shortly after, Derek and his father walked into South Miami Police station, where Derek turned himself into authorities.
Speaker 2: Just like that, Just like that.
Speaker 1: Officers of course rushed to the townhouse to the scene where the murder took place, and there they found Jennifer's body right where Derek had left her. And even worse, her ten year old daughter was still upstairs in the home alone with her mother.
Speaker 2: Murdered, and she didn't know she like stayed upstairs. I'm imagining or who knows.
Speaker 3: I'm unaware. I couldn't really find much detail on the daughter and her situation.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so sad.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: During Derek's entar, detectives asked him about any injuries he might have gotten during the so called fight with Jennifer. He talked about bruises, said his temple was in serious pain, and even claimed he was worried she might have hit him hard enough to cause life threatening damage. Cops weren't buying it. No fair enough, especially when Derek claims his twenty five and oh professional, Well, I guess amateur boxing.
Speaker 2: Record, right, Okay, I forgot about that. She wouldn't have stood his change against him?
Speaker 1: He No, she shouldn't have. Yeah, theoretically she shouldn't have. Jennifer was smaller, not as strong as Derek would have been, and definitely would not have been a match for him physically if he was a trained boxer. Now I have found some other stuff regarding Derek and his fighting abilities. Reportedly, he walked into a martial arts studio at one time. I believe it was a mixed martial arts studio claiming to have you know, some like martial arts skills and stuff and was like training for the day or something. And the guy heading the gym, I don't know if you want to call him a sense a trainer, whatever he was, I'm not not exactly sure, but so we'll just say the guy heading the gym, he went out to give some pointers to Derek, like, you know, like your techniques a little bit sloppy, you don't do this this. Derek was pissed and challenged the guy to a fight. The guy kicked his ass and kicked him out of the gym.
Speaker 2: Wow, this just sounds like a complete idiot.
Speaker 1: Hey, he really is. So I personally have very serious doubt about his training as a boxer. I'm sure maybe he's gone to a boxing gym, taking some boxing classes, even for a couple of years, but I don't imagine it's very extensive, right, let's put it that way. Still, though, that can come in handy in a fight, one, especially against a smaller opponent like Jennifer or would have been. So this idea that she was some kind of serious threat to him in a physical alter physical altercation did not add up to police. And if he was so concerned about his life, why didn't he call nine on one right.
Speaker 2: Away or go to the hospital or something exactly.
Speaker 1: Now, when they asked him this, you know, why didn't you call nine one one, his response was, quote, because I figured we had to solve it on our end, basically, in other words, no cops, no outside help, just him handling like that.
Speaker 2: They had to handle, oh, like him and his wife.
Speaker 3: Yes, they had to solve it on their own.
Speaker 2: And so him solving and is murdering her apparently. Gosh, yeah, I mean, this is just so much like other stories you hear too.
Speaker 1: It's just brutal, it is, and it's so fucking sad that people getting these situations with the toxic individual like.
Speaker 3: That, and it's there's no escape.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, Derek was arrested and charged with first degree murder, and when it came time for his trial, things got a little weird. As if Derek wasn't weird enough, during one of one of the hearings, he actually had to be removed from the courtroom after multiple outbursts, and by then he was sporting a full on Charles Manson look, long, scraggly haired wild beard, the whole thing, and at one point he even got kicked. He got himself kicked out, like entirely when he started yelling his testimony at the judge, completely unprompted.
Speaker 3: The judge is just.
Speaker 1: Like stop it, stop it, like shut up, I'm going to remove you. Andy.
Speaker 3: Derek didn't carry He just keeps fucking going.
Speaker 2: Well, really disrespectful. Exactly is he trying to make it seem like he has mental health or issues of sorts.
Speaker 1: I think he definitely does have mental health issues of sorts that way.
Speaker 2: In the way that you're not going to get, you know, convicted to the full extent.
Speaker 1: Or he very well might have been. That might have been a ploy he was trying to put into play. But he just made himself look like an idiot, let's put that way. So the defense tried to paint Derek as a victim in the situation, the poor battered husband pushed to the edge by an abusive, violent wife. According to them, Jennifer was the aggressor, both physically and emotionally. They claimed she would torment him, insult him, and even mock him by calling him quote the woman in the relationship. Eventually, they said, Derek just snapped. Now, I'm not a lawyer, let's put it that way. I'm definitely not a lawyer. But when you shoot your spouse eight times then post pictures their body on Facebook, that's not exactly the strongest self defense claim I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I guess they had to come up with something too.
Speaker 1: Che So it really was, though, those Facebook posts that took this from a tragic domestic incident to something far darker and far more public, because it was completely unnecessary to do something like that. Critics called it the ultimate symptom of a society obsessed with social media fame, and as we know, Derek very much so was pursuing that that fame.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: He wanted his name to be known and.
Speaker 1: Remembered exactly, so he did two posts to Facebook. I believe I kind of like mixed it up a little bit when I originally said it. I said he'd put the first post with the picture. Yeah, it was the first post where he did that big like I killed my wife, Okay, and then it was a picture with the rip.
Speaker 2: Oh, so like the first post didn't have a picture.
Speaker 1: No, so that's that's my mistake from earlier. The first post didn't have a picture. Then he posted the picture with the caption rip.
Speaker 2: It's still completely fucked up because loved ones and friends and stuff are learning about this through that. Exactly, you're opening your Facebook to that.
Speaker 1: Well, and I don't know if I've actually wrote it in the script. I don't think I did. The reason why he claims he did post to oh, I do have it here, it's like the next sentence. The reason why he claimed he was posting those photos to Facebook was his way of notifying Jennifer's family about her death.
Speaker 3: That's what he claimed it was. And I'm sure they appreciated that thoughtful gesture.
Speaker 2: That's terrible, but asked.
Speaker 1: After posting, what was his next next step? Calling into work was an interesting He called two co workers, two coworkers to tell them, yeah, I killed my wife from not coming into work.
Speaker 2: So he was I feel like he was enjoying these reactions right one hundred percent. YEA.
Speaker 1: Now, when he turned himself into authorities, he was accompanied by his father as well, which means he went and got another person roped into this story. He's enjoying the attention one hundred and ten percent.
Speaker 2: That is so messed up to be enjoying that sort of attention.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I full heartedly agree with these critics calling it the ultimate symptom of a society obsessed with social media fame, because that's exactly what he was chasing. So the prosecution, on the other hand, had a much simpler theory. Derek's ego couldn't handle losing. When Jennifer threatened to leave him, it was too much for him to take. He reacted the way fighters do by trying to win at all costs. And I don't exactly think i'd call Derek much of a fighter, more of just an aggressor.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, once he quote unquote one he had, he had, he had what he had wanted right to make sure that the whole world knew, and that's what he pursued.
Speaker 2: Just like, I'm just sitting here and I can't stop just thinking that he's a complete selfish asshole. The fact that he did this, posted it to Facebook, that there's like the little girl upstairs, It's just I don't know, well, he is he is only thinking about himself and like just the people that he is also, well, he's murdered one and then just hurting just so many other people.
Speaker 3: He's impacting so many people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And speaking of Jennifer's daughter, like Isabelle, when she was like, because she's you know, interviewed with this whole court process, right when she's asked if there's anyone she was scared of. Want what her answer was him, quote, the only person I was afraid of was Derek because he was mean to mommy.
Speaker 2: Oh no, this is like a little ten year old girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah. After six hours of deliberation, the jury found Derek guilty of second degree murder.
Speaker 2: Okay, I kind of wondered because I thought first degree. He didn't go about, you know, really planning it thoroughly. It seemed like it was kind of a little bit in the heat of the moment as well.
Speaker 1: But three months later, at the sentencing, Derek made it clear he wasn't going down quietly. He stood up, addressed the courtroom and he ranted and rambled, threatening to quote get his lawyers involved.
Speaker 2: For what.
Speaker 3: Sentence he started.
Speaker 1: Calling out, I mean this it was a weird like rant that he made in the courtroom, he started calling out the President of the United States, babbling about how a movie that came out before his trial somehow made this whole thing unfair, and for the record, the movie had absolutely nothing to do with his case. He announced that he was going to sue the court.
Speaker 2: Okay, checks out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all these things that he's going on about confused so many people.
Speaker 3: It had nothing to do with the case.
Speaker 1: Like he's just talking about how Barack Obama and people are so corrupt and he's got to do something about it.
Speaker 3: What the Okay, I agree with you.
Speaker 1: I think he's trying to make himself look a certain way to the courtroom, to the jury, to the public, or.
Speaker 2: Just prolong his like moment in spot the Spotlight potentially right by, like I don't know, having this big today and people listen to the shit that I have to say.
Speaker 1: And I think he's just searching for notoriety. He's trying to get people to talk about his story. I mean, we're doing it right now. But I think he's trying to be all like very Marilyn Manson esque, you know, like he was this crazy guy and like, oh my god, massive Headliners. No Derek you're just a fucking loser, and it baffles us how you can be such a douche canoe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, there's nothing like that makes him. I mean sometimes the serial killers do get like that attention. They've killed like numerous people and they go about it so many in so many different ways and stuff. But he is literally just an abuser. Yeah, and he took like his wife's life. I don't know, that is just there's nothing really there to talk about it. Like, he's just a complete idiot.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now he was sentenced to life in prison, with the possibility of parole after twenty five years. He appealed, of course, but his conviction was upheld. Once all of this hit the public, people quickly discovered Derek's whole side career as a self published author.
Speaker 3: And as the Internet does what the Internet does.
Speaker 2: Do Seriously, they're not becoming popular, are they?
Speaker 3: Nope?
Speaker 1: Nope, tru Okay, the internet went and they did Internet things, because before long, Amazon was flooded with sarcastic reviews of his books. Some of the highlights include great book, the author really sticks to his guns, Oh fantastic book, gave my marriage a shot in the arm, Oh boy, I had my doubts about reading this, but I finally decided to pull the trigger.
Speaker 2: Okay, so yeah, yeah, the internet really did go and do a thing.
Speaker 1: There, Yes they did. Now his books have bad, terrible reviews. Apparently they are just absolutely horrendous, with Barnes and Noble having him like super low, like like it was in like the tens of thousands on the bottom list of like best sellers. It's like when you're like number one best seller. Yeah, this was like thirteen thousand best sellers like bottom.
Speaker 2: Ye. You probably just have to read the Tide to like place it that way.
Speaker 1: Probably, right, Even if you look at the books, it looks like an elementary school project.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So even in prison, Derek, he became exactly what he always wanted famous, just not for the reasons he hoped.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Like, are you saying like the inmates had attention on him?
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying because the reviews on Amazon and the mockery the story that we're telling right now.
Speaker 2: Because sometimes like people when they go into prison and if they have you know, abuse, like a woman or a child, they don't do very good in there. That's what I kind of was thinking. You meant, I have.
Speaker 1: No idea how he's doing behind bars, and I hope that he is, let's say, feeling some retribution. That's how I hope he's doing behind bars. And yeah, that's the story of the Facebook Killer.
Speaker 2: And he's still there.
Speaker 3: He's still there.
Speaker 2: When did he get sentenced? Sorry, because I'm just curious how long he's going to be in there, because that's so again I hate when they're just of an age where they'll get back out and and he'll probably use his time in there to carry on his you know, wanting to be famous and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't think he will.
Speaker 1: I believe he was sentenced in twenty sixteen, of February twenty sixteen, so he's got.
Speaker 2: Some time, he does. He's been in there nine years though, that's crazy. Yeah, doesn't feel like twenty sixteen was nine years ago.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, thanks for just giving me that slap in the face of reality.
Speaker 2: Appreciate that one there anytime. It's my job.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: So what was his like title again? Facebook?
Speaker 3: The Facebook Killer?
Speaker 2: Okay, the Facebook Killer?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I know you're talking about like the title of the book Boks, which honesty. Like, no, I can't get over some of these book titles like where are they here? How I Saved Someone's life, on Marriage, on family Problems, True Communication, Attention, World, save yourself? And if the world ended today, how would you react to saving the world or helping the world or would it be all over for you? I could barely do that in one breath.
Speaker 2: Is there any comma? Is there anything?
Speaker 3: Or it's just like I mean, yeah, there's some commas in there.
Speaker 2: Okay, but still that is unreal. People wouldn't even have because you know how they they assist. The people have systems, like bookstores have systems. They probably wouldn't even fit the fucking title into the system of you know, where you put a title of a book.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine going into a bookstore and requesting said title.
Speaker 2: I think the person would think that you were, I don't know, a little bit.
Speaker 3: Cuckoo or something.
Speaker 1: I think so now, to be fair, I do believe that these books. I don't know if there's hard copies of the books. I think they're all in digital form. M okay, but even still, could you imagine like recommending this book to a friend, Oh, you should check this out. Here's a notebook that I wrote down the title of the book and it covers the next four pages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, here's still hoping that. Honestly, his time away is spent reflecting really on what the fuck he does he's done, And I also just feel so bad for that kid, Like her daughter just lost her mom. Yeah, that's not okay. That like that is not okay to have an issue with someone like that and your relationship is so fucked up, and then you take her life and no regards for the fact that she's a mom, Like, oh man, that makes me angry.
Speaker 1: Well, he clearly had no regards for anyone because he's so drawn into getting the attention himself. Look at how many people he threw the murdered image in front of, like her lifeless body body. He threw it on a public media forum where there's children foundly with your grandparents.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I just had the thought, like I wonder if he had thought about that, because would you kill someone and then later just have that idea or is it something that you would have been, like, had thought about previously.
Speaker 1: I don't think he would have thought about it prior to I think he just posted so often and was.
Speaker 2: Just like about his day and stuff that it just kind of felt natural.
Speaker 1: Maybe yeah, he's just like, oh this is post worthy? Why just fucking twisted to even think if that someone's going to say this is postworthy. But I do think that that's what goes on in his head because he was so much like, I'm going to post things about my day or stuff that I do, and I'm going to get famous. You know, Like there's kids out there who are like, oh, I'm going to do YouTube and become YouTube famous, right, and they post the cool things about their summer and their day. And I think that's just what it was for him. He's just posting, you know, a big thing that happened to him. I can get YouTube famous off this. Yeah, look at the Logan policy situation back in the day when he was off in the Japanese forest and posted a video on YouTube when he found someone who committed suicide.
Speaker 2: But that actually did well for him, didn't it in the end in the long run.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it did.
Speaker 2: No, No, it didn't help him in any way.
Speaker 3: No, Okay, I don't think it did.
Speaker 2: I know I remember that. That's just like disgusting. I actually just came across something. It was like today or yesterday about just people. You know, it's kind of a known fact that a lot of times people who post a lot about how great their life is or their relationship is that they're doing that and they're kind of like overcompensating. Oh yeah, right, and in reality it isn't great. I'm sure there's some instances where there they do actually have a good relationship or whatever. But yeah, social media is just I don't know, I used to like social media a lot more than I do now because I so want It's just not real.
Speaker 3: It's really not. For the majority of it.
Speaker 2: It's not real, and it honestly kind of just makes you feel like shit most of the time.
Speaker 1: True, which, in all honesty is one of the big reasons that our podcast is the way that it is because we try and keep our stuff as real as we can. We don't really edit stuff out. I mean there's minor edits here and there once in a while, but I mean, majority of it it's just us shooting the ship, talking about a story, having a drink, and being us keeping you know, the reality to our posts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which I mean, yeah, it's getting more and more. This world is just not like that anymore.
Speaker 1: No, so if you want to see more of it, stick around form.
Speaker 2: Wow, what a pitch at the end that wasn't even plun.
Speaker 1: More social media is in the description of this podcast.
Speaker 2: In case you're lacking in those.
Speaker 3: But yeah, thank you for being here, Derek. You suck and we'll talk to you next episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, we're about to go and record.
Speaker 3: Our Patreon exclusive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, if you want to be a patron, now would be time because you get at the end of the month elusive.
Speaker 1: Episode exactly, and there's a whole library you can go back and listen to a whole wack load more too, whole wackload. It's a whole whack load. You gotta get the quack in there, the wack load, a whole wack load.
Speaker 2: So if you're not gonna go and tune into that one until next time, stay wicked.