Speaker 1: Steve Rivera.
Speaker 2: He's got his Eye on the Ball on Tucson Sports Station yet Fox Sports fourteen fifth day.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. He's Javio Morales from All Sports two Sun dot com. Now we have Henry with breaking news.
Speaker 2: This is Eye on the Ball, breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: In there, just their second year as a program, the Arizona triathlon team is national champions after winning on Saturday.
Speaker 1: That was amazing. I'm trying to get the coach on here in the next day or so because when you first became a sport, or when they first became a sport, you're thinking, oh, what are they doing? And then all of a sudden they win a national title. I guess a issue is pretty strong, and we know the NAUS usually a pretty good strong team. But they win in their second year, which is amazing.
Speaker 4: I was, you know, I was just looking at the roster because I looked at that before. They have almost all their rosters from his foreigners.
Speaker 1: International people. Yeah, international people.
Speaker 4: They have people from Slovakia, from South Africa, Brazil, Canada, Hungary.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like a Tommy Lloyd passport. You baby, support you.
Speaker 4: So I mean, so the coaching staff really gathered these these pri athletes? Really, I mean that's Wes Johnson. Is that that's the person you're gonna have on trying to Yeah, yeah, those guys did a great job gathering that talent.
Speaker 1: Good to do that. Guess what have you? We know this coaches as a as a salesman or coaches. Whatever you win, you sell ten cars in the month of December, what's gonna happen in January? You need to sell eleven? And then he didn't. From eleven, you gotta go to twelve. So two years in he wins a national title. Yeah, where do you go from here? Exactly?
Speaker 4: You know that's Uh, That's the thing about coaching is if if you have immediate success, that's going to be expected of you, right, So who knows? The thing about it is it's not as a it's not a high demand like fan demand sports. He can he can operate without having a fear of losing his job.
Speaker 1: And guess and guess what if he doesn't like Tucson, guess what's going to happen next? He'll go to somewhere where they the triathletes are go right right, and do they transfer it? Yes?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah yeah. But I mean I don't know the gentleman. I would look forward to hear him on your show.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: I don't know what his background is, so maybe he maybe this is the spot for him. Maybe this is like bren Brennan Worth, this is where this is his.
Speaker 1: Destination, like a cadre, or like as or someone who's Did you listen to the Lopez interview? I did? I always, I always love fantastic. He's fantastic. Anybody who hasn't listened to the podcast from Thursdays and and lops, please do it. It was very good. Not because of me, it's because of him. I can listen to him for an hour right right. I wish he was talking the story. No disrespect to you have I wish he was sitting next to you right now. No disrespect taking Henry Europe.
Speaker 3: NFL Week ten was yesterday. The Cardinals defeated the Jets thirty one two six to improve the six and four and stay in first place in the NFC West.
Speaker 1: Henry, you're my NFL guy because I watch a little, but not a lot. Are they really good.
Speaker 3: I think they're decent. They play well. They play fundamentally good football. They don't Kyler's been playing really well. What is defense is really good? The run games really good.
Speaker 1: What does decent get you in the playoffs or does it get you in the playoffs? It gets you in the playoffs, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: We got to see how the team plays in the playoffs. But they have a formula that can win in the playoffs. They have a good run games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought that that San Francisco game I think was a turning point for them when they went up to San Francisco, because I actually they win that. I picked San Francisco in that game. Who went in the Cardinals, right? They they and they dominated the forty nine ers, which I think that was kind of like a eye opening and I think they fall through since and they might have lost a game or two, maybe a game sense then they should have, But overall they've been what they won like four last five games something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's six and three. Do you know any fans Cardinals? Yeah, A couple from here, your friend buddies from like Phoenix, Sure, Yeah, I don't know. I don't know any do you?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: I see I see Cardinals license plates, some cars and stuff like that, but I don't really know anybody. Probably I know a lot of San Francisco forty nine er fans, Yeah, Dallas Cowboys or Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 1: I don't know any good good for them, because you know, I don't know very many. If I do, I don't. They never said, hey, what Cardinals fans, Well maybe you should be a Cardinals fan. No, no, sorry, what you have one good year and then turned into the Cowboys. I don't think.
Speaker 3: The Chiefs beat the Broncos sixteen to fourteen to keep their undefeated season alive.
Speaker 1: Great game, crazy game, how they want it. They're they're they're due. Yeah, that's they're they're they're on the cliff here kind and doesn't really matter. Sometimes you you need that lost, right.
Speaker 3: The Eagles beat the Cowboys thirty four to six. The Cowboys are now three and six.
Speaker 1: I'm shocked. I'm shocked.
Speaker 4: Okay, give me a give me the odds on Deon Sanders becoming the Cowboys coach. Now, what are the odds? What would you what odds would you place on that? Because I know you're a las Vegas guy.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, yeah, Las Vegas, New Mexico guy. Oh god, I don't know. That's and only because that's a crazy notion, although realistic too. I don't know. I'm not a Cowboy fan anymore, so I don't care. It would be interesting. It would pay for Yeah, he paid for a lot of teams. No, it could be it's an upgrade. McCay's not the guy.
Speaker 4: No, And and it would create such a but I mean, the Cowboys have a high level of crazy interest and craziness anyway, But that would create such a buzz of him being the coach there, maybe even his son being the quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Dak Dak. Thatk isn't a guy either.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, they just signed him to a lot of two hundred and forty million dollars, which is kind of a you know, amazing to me because he is he has been injury prone.
Speaker 1: Before, and he hasn't been good before.
Speaker 4: And he hasn't got them far to the playoffs, for far into the playoffs. So yeah, that was kind of a head scratcher.
Speaker 1: But your money ain't my money. To go ahead and do it.
Speaker 4: Well, both of Dion's suns are going to be gone. From Colorado right after this year, So I think part of the reason why he went to Colorado's he can coach them there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see, Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 3: The lines improved to aiden one with a twenty six to twenty three win on Sunday Night football over the.
Speaker 1: Tops at any point last night's game and I watched it all, Did I think they were going to lose that game? Not at all.
Speaker 4: You felt like they were going to find a way good teams do. Yeah, not to sound cliche, And they've got a quarterback that's a that's a tough dude. Did you hear his halftime?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I hate those. I hate those because you usually don't get anything from him. But he said exactly what you did because you don't quote him. I mean, who's going to quote him, right, You just get information. Yeah, and he was spot on. He was spot on. It was with authority, and they did what he said they were going to do. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, that's a great coach. That's something we were talking about before. He demands respect. When you walk in the room like Loot. Everybody talks about when Lou walks in the room that you knew. Yeah, Yeah, that's that's the kind of coach you want, yeah, Dan.
Speaker 3: Campbell, Yeah right, We've got Monday night football tonight at six fifteen, the Dolphins will be playing at the Rams.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I have the Rams. That's they're going to save me from going over this week.
Speaker 6: I have.
Speaker 4: This has been one of my worst years whatever. Yeah, you know, it's been so bad. I just kind of like like it's almost like you don't want to look at it.
Speaker 1: He kind of peak at it and then you turn away. I was there. I can't afford any bad weeks, and I had one this weekend.
Speaker 3: The Utah Athletic director Mark Harlan has been fined forty dollars for his postgame comments about the Big twelve officiating after the loss to By.
Speaker 1: So have you what? We know him?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah? You know him.
Speaker 1: I know him. I've seen him a number of times. I covered him back in the day when he was at GA I think it was undertow me back in the day. A good dude, smart dude. What would give him the reason to do what he did?
Speaker 4: He almost became like a fan instead of a well I think it's yeah, how many times let me ask you this, dud, because you've been in like more press conference than we can play count. Have you ever seen an a d after after just a normal game. I've seen ads in press conference is like attend you like, I get like watching it from the far in the room. But if you ever seen an AD sit and you know, take questions or he didn't even take since it just made a statement.
Speaker 1: Right, No, I can't remember that, huf, but you right. The thing about it is sometimes and you know how under tough situations the ads there. So after the press conference, the reporters go to talk to him, yes, to get a reaction to whatever, but no, not like this. I think that he had to be just kind of trying to defend his team and his coach because of how pissed he was and whether he knew that he was going to get I'm sure he had to have known all this stuff because this is not just a simple thing. This was a big deal and it is taking a lot of heat on the internet for it. Yeah, too bad.
Speaker 4: Somebody there could have been like, hey, maybe you shouldn't go up there, just just wait till after the game, maybe sent out a statement or or get in touch with the Big twelve directly. Because what he did is he is embarrassing. And we, like I said, we know, and I remember seeing him at functions outside the u of A, just like I get people's weddings or stuff like that. He's a really good guy. He's really down to earth. This in this case, he just he lost control and uh yeah, you know, the replay show that there could have been defensive holding, but.
Speaker 1: Could have you know, I thought it was well yeah, but you know the.
Speaker 4: Referee was right there and he and he called it, so he can't. I mean, is it was it a blatant miscall? No, it wasn't. So somebody had somebody had to get into his ear before he went up to that podium, but nobody did, and that's what happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the week two ap Poles come out for basketball, Kansas is still the number one team after win versus North Carolina, Gonzaga and Auburn have moved into the top five, and Arizona's moved up to number nine.
Speaker 1: They've moved up to number nine from number ten.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, They've looked very good obviously, but they haven't played anybody, so you know, maybe Wisconsin will give him a better test. I don't know, I don't know how good they are, but in two weeks when they play Duke, that'll be the test.
Speaker 4: I remember I heard Josh Passnernders show, I think it was on Friday, right, Yeah, he was saying that Wisconsin is not not as good as they have been before. But this is that Wisconsin and they're I don't know if they're doing this on purpose, but they're they're commemorating the final four team that beat Arizona, that went to the Final four. Yeah, so I think I think that that's gonna be a tough environment to play in.
Speaker 1: Sure, and what's your style? Of their style is what?
Speaker 4: I don't think it's as slow down as before as they when they had the other coach. But for Josh Paston to say that he knows a lot more about college bassetla and I do, so maybe Arizona can go in there and take care of business. But yeah, this is as you know, this is Arizona's time of the season. I mean, if the championship, if the Nancy tournaments in November, they'd be they probably about ten or tall championship right at least.
Speaker 1: There's no question about that. Uh. And for whatever reason, I do have my theories, but I don't need to say him now. Yeah, last year we saw it. They went to Duke and they beat Duke and Duke like a year ago now, and you're thinking, well, the Arizona fans are thinking, oh, final four or bust, right right, and we saw what happened there. Tommy's got to make some inroads though in March. He's got to. He has to get them to.
Speaker 4: I think he has to get them to the final four, especially if they play like this throughout the season. Yeah, like if they if they get to thirty wins and then they lose in like the Sweet sixteen.
Speaker 1: You let me have sit back, relax, don't fall off your cherrier.
Speaker 4: You don't they play in the Big twelve, right, Yeah, that's right, you know, thanks for thanks for reminding me. It's more like twenty twenty three wins. But yeah, if they play well though through the Big twelve and they don't go deep in the tournament, and then it's going to be like a cloud over m Yeah. But I don't I think this team has like that kind of persona that some of those really good Ludolsen teams had where they they they can beat you in so many ways with some really good guards.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you do or you don't. I do, I do? Yeah, yeah, no, I agree with you. In fact, you you covered this team with me alongside me, the Bibi Miles dickers in group where they had the three guys. Uh. And now these guys have three guys and Martinez is a fringe guy, right, But you know to me, kJ and Michael Dickerson a lot of like athletic can do a lot of different things. There's no bibby. I mean there's no biby. There's no matter what. Jayden plays a different way, right, and and Caleb is not Miles, and Miles is definitely not Caleb. But they have three guys, three options, and and you're thinking, okay, one goes bad, the other two will be okay. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: Well, the tournament's built for guard play, and they have it now where they can have they can beat you in different ways now at the guard position, whereas before the shooting wasn't there from the guards.
Speaker 1: But all it takes is one bad yes game. No, Well, you and I were there in ninety eight, right, yeah, one bad game is utah and those same dudes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it didn't look like the same team because of Utah's defense are triangling to whatever they did, and they just looked out his sword. So you never know that, Like you said, you've you've said it before. It whatever happens that day, you know, it's what it's how you play that day that matters.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Former Arizona basketball player Benedict Matherne set a new career high in yesterday's game versus the Knicks with thirty eight points.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The dude, the stud, the dude, the stud.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's yeah, he's he's got everything there, right, He's he's got a team that he's in the right team because he can fit in so well there and a lot and he's getting the ball a lot and he's taken over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's he's he's a telling everybody to hear it. Knows that. I mean, he got he's the one that beat Arizona beat TCU without him, Yeah, without him. In fact, did you listen to arguments with Jay and last year when he talked about he said Caleb was better than Ben And I said, what the hell are you thinking? There's not even close? Right? No, Yeah, And if Jay, if you're listening, I'll bring out the tape just to show you. That's all I go, That's all we need because we gotta go, we gotta go. We'll get TJ. Jeskowitz on the other side of the break.
Speaker 2: Now are your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website when that's when Enter in right now Walksports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 9: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort. Discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 1: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco Yucky?
Speaker 10: Try The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browsey aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a show and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color, and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your love. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 11: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona healthth of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else.
Speaker 1: Arizona Help.
Speaker 4: Our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals.
Speaker 1: Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment. On twenty second, this quest of will not.
Speaker 7: School and the False four season are in full stride. Time to get that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a Chris looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps, shorts or long sleeve follos. And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season for over one thousand fun items of choosroom come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsazy dot com or see our idea center at you twenty eight West TrackMan Street.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance, Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation.
Speaker 1: Visit voltpeteam dot com.
Speaker 12: That's volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BK nine two nine four two Equal housing Opportunity, How to commitment to Lynrix syn credit rates and available loan programs of subjects change the nun notice.
Speaker 1: Did you know?
Speaker 7: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports.
Speaker 1: Cards and trading card games.
Speaker 7: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime.
Speaker 1: Cards has it all.
Speaker 7: Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trush Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 13: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than ever. At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter the credit score. You can borrow better with cheering that for details or to apply online visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash one rate Pyramid. Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 8: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down.
Speaker 1: Arizona Pest Control is your complete.
Speaker 8: Desert pest management specialist that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Want to build your business better, There's no better place than the Arizona Business Networking Conference December tenth through the twelfth at Casino del Sol. Meet thirty five premier speakers, including UA All American, Ricky Hunty, Hall of Fame Coach, Mike Hendrea, CEOs and more. Expand your professional network, explore new opportunities, and learn from industry leaders. Get your tickets at Tucson Business Networking dot com slash Conference once again. That's at Tucson Business Networking dot Com Slash Conference.
Speaker 8: This is I on the.
Speaker 2: Ball on Fox Sports fourteen, bidding I want to take part in the show called Up Steve now went five two oh four one, six seventy four night.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to whining the Ball here on Fox Sports. Steve Rivera. I'm Steve Rivera. You're Huger Morrell. You're Henry Now On the pohone we have Tjeskwitz, the executive director of El Tourta Tucson. My guess is TJ. My guess is that you're pretty busy right now. A little bit, Yeah, a little bit.
Speaker 6: You've got a few people coming to town and uh oh, just about ten days or so.
Speaker 1: So of the you give me a number of the people that are coming into right though. Of that number, how many are from out of town?
Speaker 6: Well, we're shaping up to pretty close to ten thousand people this year, which is which is fantastic, And about forty percent of those people are from outside the state of Arizona, a whole lot of it, or from outside Tema County. I would say, prob about eighty five percent or from outside of Pema County that are coming in for ail to to Tucson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nice, which of course means that probably visit Tucson loves you. Other Yes, others love you because they've got to stay at least two days.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, if they're coming in for you know, a bike ride that takes off at seven o'clock in the morning, Uh, they're they're for sure coming in and getting a good night's sleep, having a great dinner, all that kind of stuff. The next morning they ride and you know, they're probably a little bit tired.
Speaker 1: They might have you know, a.
Speaker 6: Beer or an ice cream after the ride, so they'll probably want to say a second night, maybe a third night. So but there's so much to do in town. Just a great weekend overall for sports in Tucson. So why wouldn't you come in for ail to to Tucson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is your third or fourth year, I think right, third to fourth year. Sure, fourth, you're coming from Iowa. What have you? What has struck you the most in being the new guy? It's just an amazing community.
Speaker 6: And you know, I really didn't feel it until a year or two into the job. And uh, and I haul at a job, but it's really it's really just a whole lot of fun. But you know, I came here during COVID and I really didn't get to know the community. But now that I've kind of been immerson in the community, just getting to know the folks and what makes this town tick. And you know, business leaders and bike leaders and just nonprofits throughout town. There's just so many people that until you really, you know, start to get involved in this community, it's hard to understand just what a great community this.
Speaker 4: Is, right right, you see, what's the most challenging aspect of what you do?
Speaker 1: And do you sleep the day before, the night before the all tour?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, actually this time right now is more of a crunch time. Just you know, there's people calling up and left and right, just asking questions, trying to get information. Uh so this is more stressful by the time we get to you know, the night before. I mean, if it's not done by that point, you know, the race is going to happen no matter what we do. So it's it's here and there. So so the stressful time is right now, just get making sure we've got all our eyes dotted and t's crossed, all all that kind of stuff that that pre ride prep that goes into it. So you know, like I said, by the time we get to you know, the uh that weekend before it's it's go time at that point and uh yeah, I'll sleep for about two or three hours on Friday night and uh I'll sleep real good Saturday night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it is. So, you know, one of the things, or maybe maybe it's overlooked a little about the locals you have. This is kind of a turned into a star studied type of ride, and and not so much with the top finishers, but the people involved, the people who are here to either help or bring some name value to it. Yes, oh for sure.
Speaker 6: And if you look back at the history of El Tour to Tucson, some of the some of the nation's top riders have come and ridden this this event that have gone on to ride in the Tour de France and gone on to the you know, bigger and better things. So this year we probably have I don't know, at least twenty people that have either been on an Olympic cycling team or been in the Tour de France. And I mean just just today just heard of an Olympian from Mexico that's coming up to ride, a couple other former l to War champs. I think we're probably gonna have five or six former El Tour champs that will be riding this year. We have a Danish Olympian that's that's coming over and riding, and of course we have this year Chloe Digert who won a gold medal and I believe a silver medal in Paris for the United States Olympic Cycling team. So yeah, we got some starts other once. But you know what, we don't just focus on them. I think it's from the from the world's best to the world's worst and everything in between. That's what really makes out toward a Tucson tick.
Speaker 1: Well, the world's worst. I think Jay's going to ride in it, so you're right, maybe the world's worst just gonna I think the last I heard.
Speaker 6: I didn't say that.
Speaker 1: You said I said that like he can't do it about me. He's the longer on the show that offense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, you know, I mean, we really do have something for everyone. And if people that don't want to ride a bike they want to come, we've got a five k as well and a fun walk. So if people want to just come out and you know, walk to three miles with friends and family. They can do that. You know, if you want to ride the thirty two miles, sixty three mile or one hundred and two miles, feel free, you know, those are those are just you know, some of the events that they can do that. Saturday, November twenty third.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know this event's been like you said, it's been going out of like forty years, right and forty one and you mentioned all the riders that are from different parts of the world coming here. Where do you think this race is as far as being perceived by or or known by writers all around? How this, how this this uh you know race compares to others or where where is it on that that hierarchy of where guys or girls want to come and ride in this?
Speaker 6: Well, first and foremost, it is the largest race in the United States. Because anything that you know, put up a clock and shoot a gun and you have a winner and a podium and stuff like that, it's a race. So with that of doubt, it's the largest, you know, getting ten thousand people, uh this year, that's that's for sure the largest. So anytime that is thrown around the largest in the world. It's always a good thing. Uh, it's been put just for forty one years. We've had people that again that have come and you know, they've towed the line with with some of the best, you know, especially when they were younger in their career. But I've seen names that you know, have gone on to you know, be Olympians and gone on to represent various teams of the Tour de France. So a lot of them have you know, just really used this as as a great training tool as they prepare for some of those big European races. So it's got a great it's got a great name throughout the world. We keep getting these European riders. It's got more and more publicity. But we've had some of these European champs that have come over and ridden and they go back home and talk about this great event with h you know, seventy degree weather in the middle of November, where it's snowing in other parts of the country. So you know, what's not to like about that.
Speaker 1: So one of the things that we try to do, or else tries to do, is alert the people of the community, especially the route along the route of the delays, road closures and things like that, and what to expect that day. So it's kind of advise them to watch our Facebook, watch our website, stuff like that, right and.
Speaker 6: Take a look at the route, especially if you've got something you've got to be at that day, if you've got you know, a wedding to get to or a flight to catch, take a little bit more time that morning. If you're especially in the in the those areas. Pretty much all of El Tour lately has been south of downtown. So if you're up in the foothills, or if you're up in Morana or a valley, you're not going to be affected by El Tor to Tucson. But if you're down by the airport or Hotton Road or soa rita Green Valley, take a look at those those maps, see where El Tor is, and you know, just maybe take a little bit extra time that morning if you need to get out, or you know, just just a vie a different route. Just keep in mind there's a lot of people out there riding there. A lot of those people are our friends and family, A lot of people are out there raising money for some great charities throughout the throughout the community. So you know, just just take a hecks for a few minutes and you'll get there safe.
Speaker 1: What if what if you have nothing else to do and there's it's a nice Saturday either way, nice nice weather and all that. It's a party. It's more than a bike ride on Saturday, well, Thursday, Friday, Saturday really pretty much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, we got great bands. It's all free, so come down to the TCC got bands throughout the day pretty much from noon to about eight o'clock on Thursday and Friday, there's a beer garden by draw June that'll be serving some tasty beers. And then Saturday, pretty much from seven o'clock in the morning, we shoot. We shoot, the cannons off and the riders take off first. Riders will probably get back just before eleven o'clock. They're moving, just to give you an idea, probably about twenty seven to twenty eight miles an hour, and they sustain that for one hundred and two miles, so it's just unbelievably fast how they go. But even though you know, not just those, there's other people that are riding, say the thirty two miles. One of the highlights this year We're going to have some riders from a wounded warrior about forty wounded warriors that'll take off at the end of the thirty two mile ride together as a pack. You know. Obviously, today's Veterans Day, so we love having veterans throughout the country come and join us for our tour.
Speaker 1: But that's going to be something special, you.
Speaker 6: Know, especially when they ride along, you know the airplane Bone Yard go around Davis Mosson. It's a special group of riders that are going to be joining us this year for that thirty two mile ride around the community.
Speaker 1: Right, let's go if we can real quick. Lastly, it's not just a cycling ride or a bicycle ride of one hundred and sixty two, thirty two or twenty eight what you you have a running event, run walking event.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so they can do a five k which is about three point one miles, and we'll probably have about a thousand people that line up for the five k, and that's in the second year. It was happening many many years ago, so we brought it back for the fortieth anniversary. People loved it, so we decided to do it and make it a staple and so pretty much after the one hundred mile goes off, we slipped in a five k and also a fun walk. We have a lot of parents that come out with their kids, a lot of families that will go out and do that, or even people that are there for you know, their spouses might be riding one hundred miles, so they just want to get in some exercise and they could do the five k, or they can do the.
Speaker 1: Fun walk right right, And there's going to be maybe eight hundred nine hundred thousand.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think right now we're probably training to be close to one thousand. So you know, when you add up the number of cyclists, you add up the number of people that are on the run, that's where we're going to have probably about ten thousand participants in the downtown. And then you top that off with probably about an equal number of spectators that are out and about probably about two thousand volunteers between law enforcement officers and just so many people that are out there, you know, hanging out water and fruit to the riders. I mean, there's just thousands of people to get involved with the Eltwort to Tucson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no crazy time, busy time. That all happened the twenty third of November, beginning at seven in the morning, so be prepared, and it goes to about four point thirty.
Speaker 6: Right, yep, yep, then they'll be off the road. So you know after that, you know, it gets dark this time of year. It's sign up is right at seven o'clock in the morning. That's when we start the first ride by five about five fifteen, and it starts getting dark. So we want all the riders to get in safely, you know, and then go go have a good time after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, well thanks TJ. Appreciate your time. All right, guys right here you will. I was gonna give him grief about Florida because he's a graduate of Florida. They sucked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're they're men's basketball coaches and a lot. That's another thing too. Yeah, yeah, hey.
Speaker 1: Let's take a break and come back more to talk about here on the other side, because I want to call five two oho four one, six, seventy four forty. We'd love to hear from you on a Monday. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now, take a look back at the Ludelsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach, Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 14: Hi, this is former Wildcat Lemonhnely with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your attacking. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform.
Speaker 1: Your personal space in your life. We off a complete.
Speaker 14: Line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training.
Speaker 1: To get you started to keep you going.
Speaker 14: Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 5: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial daid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PEMA dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 1: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a thunder vender or a leaking roofed, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three Selling your home? Want to get more money for it will Danny Roth can help you. He told me about his You Flip the Home You Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home called Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand, Tucson. Listen up.
Speaker 15: Al Tourne two Son is rolling in on November twenty third, and you won't want to miss it. DNA Shair Conditioning is proud to be a sponsor of this fantastic event, supporting our cyclists and celebrating the vibrant spirit of our community. Huge thanks to our title sponsor, Banner University Medicine and our presenting sponsor Rio Nuevo and CMC Health for making this possible. So are you ready to ride? Grab your bikes and your buddies join DNHAC for an unforgettable day at the El Tourty two Soon. For more info, check out El tour dytwuosn dot org.
Speaker 5: El Towardy two soon is on November twenty third. You can help support the kids at Banner Diamond's Children's Medical Center in Tucson by joining the Banner Health Team, ride, run, or walk any of the routes to make a difference. Visit Eltoordy tuson dot org for more.
Speaker 2: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rovera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app just search I on the Ball.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back toining the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, sure hope youre Morales, You're Henry. I need to talk real quick about the about our Thursday show. We're going to be at beck at at Casino del Sol all here. You gotta come and see us. I will Is this the last time? No, this is the third time. We got three more after this, Okay, but we're hoping to get a couple of great guests come by and see us. It's fun. Jay joins the show again, and we talked about obviously everything goes on there, a lot of things going on there. Yeah, it's I like their sports book there. Yeah, it's nice, comfortable. I was just gonna say that it's it's nice. It's comfortable. You can bet on pretty much anything, you know, any ragers from whatever to whatever, and it's comfortable. A lot of couches, a lot of TVs. Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 4: It's not like the sports book sports books we know in Las Vegas. I know there for seventeen years. But for what it is, it's a good Oh yeah, sports book with a bar there, right, are there?
Speaker 1: Some big screens are in there, right, and the can of self serve kiosks there, and then you can go to talk to a live person when you make the bet. Yeah, and then uh the great restaurants Hume and uh and Mobi's movies and then uh p y Steakhouse uh there as well, and you can obviously we talked about the betting. The golf Swallow golf course, so a lot of fun at a lot of fun casual. If you don't gamble, you can al us have a good time. Dance floor stuff like that. Yeah, do you dance, No, Okay, no, that's that's not important.
Speaker 4: Do you watch people dance. I'm not a watcher of that either, hope player. But they do have do they have they have concerts there? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're a great college.
Speaker 4: You did have boxing matches the hope that comes back, right, that hasn't happened in a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, great stuff as ava and then they have it now nowadays nowadays because of the weather which is not bad, they have it in the convention Center. Yeah. So, uh, you have a chance to go out there maybe Thursday. We love the guests. We have put you on the air if you if you're there with a good question, you can come on the air. You have some knowledgeable guests too. Yeah. Yeah. In fact, call if you guys want to give us a call, call us now five two zero four one six seventy four forty. Henry is waiting for your call. We haven't heard from certain people. Gabe has not been restless because they haven't played. Nico hasn't called in because they haven't played. Victor is always, you know, taking his selfies.
Speaker 4: I see I see him at a lot of high school events. He's a super fan, he's a he's he must be retired because he's like he's everywhere every every time every softball or baseball game I went to in the spring, I swear to god he was.
Speaker 1: He was at each game.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nice to be doing nothing, Donnie. If you want to call it this week, what do you think is gonna happen this week? But the Houston game?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't want to sound like a home or any like that, but I think given a given a week off, and they said that they were going to assess everything in the program, which meant they probably had to do a lot of reset some of the what's going on there, I think they have a good chance.
Speaker 1: Houston's playing better. Though.
Speaker 4: Houston beat Kansas State and there was a lots of Kanas State, so yeah, it's not gonna be easy. There's not gonna be a lot of fans there. But I think Arizona's gonna play well. Looking back, they the way they took text Tech to the end, that was actually a quality game where they should have won that game because they made a lot of mistakes.
Speaker 1: That game could have transfixed or done a lot if that's not where I worked right to the season.
Speaker 4: The win that game, the trajectory changes. They were they in the Texas Tech you know, territory like ten times that game and only scored like a touchdown out of it, and they missed the field goal. Yeah, he fumbles the wall, right McMillan. Yeah, So, but looking back, like how good Texas Tech is now? And they did lose the Colorado but that was that was a quality, quality game. And then meeting Utah, even though they haven't shown to be quite the team that they were before at the beginning of the season, that was still a quality went there. So, I mean, they have some things that to go back on and say, this is what we did here, let's work on it. The thing, I just think there's the amount of players out, the belief system isn't there right now, the confidence that it's going to be interesting to see how they come out after a week after that that horrible performance against uc.
Speaker 1: Everybody who listens to me on the show, and I know you do a lot. I kind of put things in a percentage type of thing. One hundred percent. Uh, what's the biggest culprit of the one hundred percent? What's the biggest issue with the football team. The biggest issue is personnel and being in Fefita being able to do what he's able to do. And I think there is some a lot to do with the play calling and the way he's his interaction with Baber's and Atkins. It's a lot different than fish or fish kind of like ran things. Uh, there's I think there's some disconnect there and I think sometimes Fefida probably just does it because this is what he thinks he should do. I've mentioned this before, like I think he brought us back way too much.
Speaker 4: He's not a drop back passer. He needs to fill the the rush and move forward, not backwards, move forward to the side and think quick.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I don't see that a lot. Okay, So that you just said of the one hundred percent, what percentage? Is that a problem? Offensively?
Speaker 4: I think that's a huge That's that's my I would think about eighty percent of the problem. Yeah, because because it's it just seems like he's not the same quarterback as he was. Of course, he doesn't have the same line blocking for him. Okay, he doesn't have a Jacob Cowing to pass to other than McMillan.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now let me give you this. You only have twenty percent left. What's the other twenty percent? Just the the makeup of the team. I don't think it's the it's I don't think it's a quality team like a you know, the team aspect. See. I would thought I thought you would have gone this way, and I'm not going to change your mind because this is your your opinion. So I would have thought you'd go like that. Thirty forty injuries, Uh, twenty five thirty percent coaching, that's what that's sixty percentage. I didn't think about numbers. Uh. And then what you just said, maybe another twenty five and then give about ten to fifteen percent to other factors. Well, coaching is involved with that, with the way the way that offenses. We're talking about head coaching. Oh, head coaching. Oh.
Speaker 4: The percentage of what's the problem they're at head coaching is well, is just being able to communicate what he needs to be community exactly. I don't there's it just seems like there's not that that bond or that there's.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't you know.
Speaker 4: It's ironically, if if fafeed in, those guys left and nothing was expected of Arizona, Brandon might have actually been in a better position because you and I because he's starting, if he's starting from scratch, and everybody's gonna be sympathetic for him.
Speaker 1: And did I did I say this on the air last week? Because I said this on the air, and as we guessing you again, I didn't listen. I listened to you a lot, but I didn't hear that.
Speaker 4: But that's but you know what if he came in, if those guys left, if it was kind of like right, he would nobody would. They wouldn't be as as on him as they are now. Questions, no question, And the.
Speaker 1: Thing is, you can't change that. But but what you're saying, I said that exact same thing on Friday, Uh, talking to a couple of people that did right. Maybe the worst thing that happened to Brendan was he got these guys to come back. Yeah, and all the expectations that came with it. Had they left, he would have had covered kind of bear and then he'd have to build his own people. He'd be exactly what you're saying now is exactly what I said last week. I don't know who you're talking to.
Speaker 4: He would have more of his players that have brought in he did bring in a couple of quarterbacks, brought in a quarterback from centers, he stayed. He brought in the quarterback from any you probably would have played them.
Speaker 1: And I want you to be honest with me in this dumb question about life. So you you're a father of one, father of a daughter. Where in your time did she ever not listen to you? Sometimes? Okay, okay, no great, Sometimes it's good you don't remember, not all so okay, right? But sometimes so what did you do to make that not happen again? Although it probably happened again. I'm a father of two sons. Did they not necessarily be a lot? But they also knew that if they didn't long term I'd be pissed. And I'm still the guy who pays the mortgage on this house.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, my daughter knows about you know, how to interact with me and what streams not to I mean, you can ask any dad it has a daughter, especially like we're my daughter's ages. You're going to get a lot of oh come on, dad, or I can't believe you're do like.
Speaker 1: You know, why are you doing that type of thing? But there were times when you had to yeah, and and.
Speaker 4: But but there was that, you know, there was a good bond there, There was a good uh he always had She always respected and knew that I was her dad, and uh, you know the communication part, the relation part that was always there. Wasn't like or she just totally did not listen to me. Uh so and he got the same thing. For her sons, obviously, they they they're young guys, they're they're you know, they're doing their thing. They probably didn't listen to everything you said, but they know that you're there, You're their dad. You know, these guys know that Brent Brennan's their coach, but we're are they where's that respect line?
Speaker 1: Uh? With them? With him?
Speaker 4: They say that coach you know, I heard after games this is Coach B's team where we're here for coach B.
Speaker 1: But how much is that happening now? How?
Speaker 4: How how how how engrossed are they in him? Sure, you know, and I don't mean to take anything away from feed because he's a heck of a person and a heck of a player, But it just seems like there's that the chemistry, the the you know, the the.
Speaker 1: Common bond is not is not there yet all the players, even if even if they deny it or whatever. It's plausible, very plausible, right or possible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you brought this up before about N A L And I all these guys are getting paid already, so where where is there some of their motivation They got a big payday, probably be for the year to stay here. So hey, we lost a couple of games. Let's let's try to write it out and get better. But there's not like a do or die.
Speaker 1: A carrot, although there is probably a carrot because I guess, what if you want to get paid next year? Okay, where's your resume? And what did you do to get paid next year? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I'm again, well that sounds like they're putting on the players a lot on both Yeah. They they there, they came back. I mean, that's that's who Who would have thought that those guys would come back and during coaching change, And then we can get into more about their relationship with Fish and might be why that that didn't happen where they went to Washington where I think there's something to that, where there were some there was some disconnect with him in a personal level with those guys, that's an that's the reason why they didn't follow him there. But for them to come back in that situation is is and we heard it from the national media. They got they kept on getting these questions, what made you decide to come back? What why did you return? It was a big thing. But you know, you got to applaud them for that. But where it's you know, you could sense because you've been around a lot of teams, you've been aroun a lot of coaches, you can sense that the mentality is not always where God, we got to win this game. This is like where's where's the where's the uh the drive the most.
Speaker 1: That's why, That's why I've been saying that I've seen too many of this. You know, I'm not a doctor. I'm playing one on the radio, but I'm not a doctor. But I know what I'm doing here because I've seen enough surgery. I've been through enough surgeries to know that this the diagnosis exactly is kind of what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, the u c F game was like the low point. And we've seen Arizona in past years, like I can always remember the games, like some of the games of Washington where they got blown out. Yeah, even even with toy and some of his teams. But they they always but they always came back, you know, they always tried to They had some resolve. That's why I want to see Friday is to see some resolve from these guys and to show that hey, we're gonna we're gonna, you know, win a game. We're going to try to do what we need to do with the coaches involved. Make smart plays, don't don't make silly penalties. You know, some of the penalties that they they had against UCF were just like mind boggling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they had those at the beginning of the your two yeah in victories, and you're thinking, what what accountability?
Speaker 4: You know, if you're if you're gonna make a mistake like that, you're out of the game. But do they have enough depth to do that too? Do they have enough to say, you know, you got to go sit down? But I don't I just anything on a sense, on a sense, if you do something where you shouldn't be doing, you're gonna you're gonna sit You're gonna be pulled.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why I wanted to go with this because I mentioned your daughter and my two sons. If you didn't establish that early and they're already older. Right, how are they going to buy into what you're trying to tell them outside of you know, putting your fist down. Does that make sense? Because you've already been the nice guy for a long time, right, You're trying to be a mean guy. Is not gonna work because we know that's not you.
Speaker 4: Right, And you brought up the teaching part in the in the school, if a teacher doesn't set the ground the ground rolls from the beginning firmly, then the students aren't going to respond to that. If it happens later, you're like, whoa you You let us do this and this, and now you're doing this. There's not going to be a you know, respect factor. There's not going to be a belief factor in that teacher. But if you set the ground rules from the beginning firmly as it goes on, then you can kind of open up to them more and they can see you as a person who wants to set you on the right path.
Speaker 1: But if you let them.
Speaker 4: Run loose and and not have a you know, you know, a strong hand, and then they're going to be loose for a long time.
Speaker 1: There's no question that that they want Brennan to do well or they're trying to or whatever, but not to the degree that they have to I think. And there's no question that he wants to succeed too. Obviously he's getting paid a lot of money. He wants to he wants this place to do well. There's just a disconnect. I mean, we have used that word a thousand times. You did today, And whether it stops I don't know, but I would say that it won't even a victory or two. You will say, okay, maybe maybe, maybe not. But as they say in our culture, have your I mean, what's what's the point now? Yeah, although the point is to win, but you know what I'm saying, the damage has been done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's been a lot of damage unfortunately, but they do have three games left. If they will look at the brider side, they do it. They have three games against teams they can beat, even even ASU, who's playing really well. And you've got to give Kenny Dillingham a lot of credit for how he's been able to uplift that program from HERM Edwards disaster.
Speaker 1: But they have I mean, they haven't.
Speaker 4: Really played a very good to They're gonna be playing BUYU in Kansas State coming up, so we'll see if a issue is competitive that or beats one of those teams, then I'm a firm believer in Kenny Dimmon dealing now. But they haven't really beat anybody in the Big twelve yet. That is a good team, a winning team. Thank you have you for coming on in, Thank you Henry for coming on in. And we'll talk to you guys tomorrow