Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty the Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Good Morning, It is a Bill Handle show, and he is back from vacation. On Monday, Wayne Resnik here until nine o'clock and it's the time of the week where we get somebody smarter than anybody on the show about tech to come in and talk to us about the latest developments. Rich DeMuro the host of Rich on Tech every Saturday eleven am to two pm, right here on KFI. If you want to get a gander at him, you can watch him on KTLA every morning. And if you want to get a gander at him that's not so fleeting, you can follow him on Instagram at rich on Tech and on his website rich on Tech, dot tv and Elmer. You just said something to me, and I think what you said is Rich is not on yet. Okay, that's fine, So we are waiting for him to join. I hope he joins. He did send over things he wanted to talk about, so I know that he was planning to come on. And boy, would it be ironic if the tech person that we bring on because he's so smart about tech is having technical difficulties. I can tell you a couple other stories that we're looking at while we wait for Rich. One of them is, you know, the whole thing with Sean Combs aka Diddy and the criminal charges and he's in custody and he can't make bail. Now their lawsuits are coming. New ones were filed yesterday accusing him of sexual assault. You have men accusing him, women and a sixteen year old boy in these lawsuits. And it's almost like at this point in terms of his predicament entirely self made. This is like putting another drop of water in a swimming pool for him in terms of the trouble that he's in. All Right, ladies and gentlemen, here he is Rich Demro, Good morning.
Speaker 3: Sir, he hey, good morning.
Speaker 2: How's it going excellent? I want to get right into this first thing here. There's a battle now of the newest I guess, the bestest, newest text to video generation platforms. Meta has one, Adobe has one. What's going on? Why is it important? And what's so great about the newest versions? And also just start off quickly with what is text to video?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So, I mean, Wayne, we're very familiar with the idea of these image generators through AI, so you can go on a lot of different you know, meta imagine. Adobe has one. I mean so many of these companies have already done. Google has one, you know, where you can just type in what you want and then it will make a picture of that thing. That's been pretty fine. Obviously, it has little hiccups with things like details like hands and feet and teeth and stuff like that, but that's been easy. A holy grail is really text to video, so you can say, you know, generate a video of you know, someone walking through a field of wildflowers and then it starts snowing, you know, whatever you want. So this is stuff that you know, Hollywood studios would maybe create with a with you know, their their high end image generation tools computers and things CGI. But now the fact that you can just type this stuff in and have a computer generate it, that would be incredible. And the reason why it's incredible is only on the money side, because I think most artists would agree they probably don't want this stuff to take off in a huge way because it gets rid of their job.
Speaker 2: You know, I used to live in a building with a guy and he still does this who does pre visualization for movies. Yes, and he and that is where you know, you have a script and it says like, oh, there's a big battle scene, and pre visualization is you create using computers kind of an example of what it would look like. And he's done it for I mean, the biggest of the biggest movies. And it seems like, is this is this the kind of thing that puts him out of a job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exactly the type of person I interviewed the first time around on this story when we were doing the text to image generators, and I interviewed exactly that a person who draws what's called concept art. You know, like if you say, hey, we've got a new superhero and we want them to be wearing green and look like this, and you know, they would come up with that concept and then they would build that based on it. So I think the interesting thing about this is that not only can it do this stuff, but again, this eventually will get so good where if you need a shot, let's say you need a shot of people walking a crowd of people walking through in the streets of downtown Los Angeles, instead of licensing that b roll from someone or hiring a bunch of extras or generating, you know, in a computer, you know, using CGI, this shot that you probably have to compose from different things. You would just tell AI here's what I need and boom it would create that shot now right now. And the reason we're talking about this because Adobe, they unlaunched are released their Firefly video and this is in beta right now. Right now, they can only generate about two seconds worth of video. Meta last week, Facebook's parent company, they came out with their meta video. They call it metagen Ai and theirs can do up to sixteen seconds. So as you can see, this is very limited in its scope right now, but it's day one and this is just going to get better and better. And of course Meta wants it because if you're making it reels and things like that, you don't have to go out.
Speaker 2: And shoot stuff.
Speaker 3: You can do it all from your house. And of course Adobe one of the biggest companies providing software for creators all around the world, so that's a big deal for them because they charge for this stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man, all right now, Rich, We're gonna get some news from Amy King and then let's say I want to spy on grandma. The oldest fashioned way would be I'd have to stand outside, like with binoculars and look at her through the window. But apparently parents, yes, definitely, Well, let's I want to find out there's a new way. We're not talking about spying in a creepy way. We're talking about keeping tabs on a senior citizen. There's apparently a new way to do it. And you can tell us if it's better and if it's less creepy, because we all have parents and grandparents who are old. We're talking to rich Demurow on this Tech Tuesday, the host of rich on Tech every Saturday eleven am to two pm here on KFI on KTLA. That's television, folks, every morning, Instagram, rich on Tech website, rich on Tech dot TV. Okay, tell me about this new way to keep tabs on your mom or grandma or dad. That is supposedly better than having cameras in their house or an armed guard watching them at all times.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I know here in the US we're trying to get more into that idea of aging in place, right, This is where you stay in the home that you you know lived in instead of going to a senior housing or whatever. So but that launches a lot of complications for the caregivers, right, like, if you're the kid, you want to make sure Mom's okay. And so there are ways you can do this with video cameras and Amazon echoes and things like that.
Speaker 2: But I thought this was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: This is a new smart Wi Fi sensing plug from a company named Threshold Care. The plug is called Motion And so what you do is you put these little plugs. There's three of them, and you put three of them in the house and they create this kind of.
Speaker 2: Like I call it a force field.
Speaker 3: And so they're actually monitoring the Wi Fi signals in the house and so once they see that someone breaks those Wi Fi signals, that's how they're detecting motion. And this is not a new concept. We've had this for a long time. But this is sort of a plug and play thing. So let's say you bought these three sensors, you put them in mom's house. You can know, you know, when she gets out of a certain room, when she's up and around moving, you can get an alert if there's no movement at all after a certain time, or you know whatever. So it's just kind of a neat way to monitor a loved one without being invasive. You know, you don't need images, you don't need videos, and it's not very expensive. It's only sixty bucks for the three pack.
Speaker 2: So when I didn't know this that as you walk around your house, you're disrupting the patterns of the Wi Fi signals.
Speaker 3: Yes, and that's okay. You know that's been going on.
Speaker 2: For a while, all right. So the thing about this then is it's it's it's as vague as possible while still being useful, meaning it's not like a video camera where you can actually see Mom walking around the house. It's just measuring movement patterns. It technically it's it's not even able. It can't tell you whether it's Mom or something else moving around. But if you don't see any if Mom lives alone and you see no movement for a while, then you know you better get over there and see if she's okay. So you plug them in in Mom's house has them. Mom's house has to have the Wi Fi and be on the internet. And then you, as the as the child, you have an app on your phone that you can use to monitor these sensors. Correct.
Speaker 3: All of that is very correct, and it's u you know, it's it's also if there's movement when you don't expect movement, So you know, if there's movement in a room that you're not expecting. I mean, there's lots of ways you can use this. I mean, it depends on your situation. So you know, it could also be movement. If Mom's supposed to go to sleep at you know, eight pm, and there's movement at midnight, you know, that could be another indication. So or if you want to put them in a certain room. Let's say that there's a couple of rooms in the house and you want to make sure that mom makes it to the living room in the morning. So there's so many ways you can do this. And I've you know, I've been to these shows where you know, they have all kinds of products for seniors living at their homes, and I think that this is just a smart, simple way. And I love the fact that it's not that expensive because you know, cameras and subscription costs, you know, they can they can add up, and this doesn't have any subscription costs and you're getting a three pack for sixty bucks. So I do like that idea. Although I'm surprised Wayne that there's no subscription because pretty much every product that I take a look at these days has some sort of associated subscript for you with it.
Speaker 2: Well, that could be coming later when they decide to maximize their profitability. My guess is right now, I hate to be cynical, and you know a lot about tech companies, so you can correct me if I'm so cynical that I'm off base. This is a relatively new thing. They want to have as low a bar to entry as possible, get everybody to get these things in mom's house, and down the road they can start to implement layers of subscription.
Speaker 3: Models, right, and it's something as simple as instead of you checking the app every day to see, you know, if there's movement, they may theoretically charge for something like Okay, let's set a schedule so between nine and five, if there's movement, you don't have to alert me. But if there's movement at midnight, alert me. And that's something they could potentially charge for down the line. For now, I'm just making that up, but the idea is that there's many ways to charge people for things, and that's usually under that freemium model. Where most of it's free, but if there's something you really want, you got to pay for all.
Speaker 2: Right, Hey, speaking of things you want and maybe not paying for it, direct TV free streaming is this true?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess if you can't beat them, join them. So we know that free streaming they call it fast free advertising supported television services. These are the fastest growing area of the market, which is so funny because it's called old school TV. Wait, it's just what we used to have before, you know, everyone switched to streaming and you know, these expensive services. People are like they're fighting back. They're saying, I don't really feel like paying anymore. And so all of the streaming services, some of the fastest growing ones are to be you know, you've got all the fling has a free level of service and so they're all you know, they're all adding this because people can just put them on their TV and watch stuff like Pluto that's another one. Yeah, and it doesn't cost them a dime. But what they're doing is they're selling a lot of advertise and they're getting a lot of data from you because it's a very smart system. So anyway, direct TV is entering this whole platform with something called my Free direct TV. There's not a lot of details on what we're gonna be able to watch, but they haven't announced like specific channels, but there will be channels and then extensive on demand library and you'll be able to install this on your TV. It'll launch on November fifteenth. But it's smart because DirecTV has the brand name and so people are gonna immediately know it versus something like a twov or a you know some of these other ones out there, Zumo, and you know they're gonna have sports, entertainment, kid stuff, And I think the idea is to get people to sign up for a paid subscription because they'll advertise a lot of stuff that you know you can't get for the free level, but hey, for you know, another eighty bucks a month, you can get the paid level.
Speaker 2: Would you say we'll finish with this. Would you say it's true that when we first started to have streaming options, well first you had premium cable channels with no commercials, and then you started to have streaming options with no commercials that people a lot of people decided, oh yes, I don't want commercials anymore. But then as the years went by and as the prices went up, and as it became more difficult to get the programming that you want from one commercial free streaming service, that people decided, you know what, commercials really aren't that bad to have to deal with. Is that what's happening here?
Speaker 3: That is what's happening. And they're pushing them really hard because people they liked the idea of free. There's zero barrier, barrier to entry, and people like it and they don't mind because it's like the old experience they were used to. So it's like, Okay, I can watch ads and it's not that bad of an experience. I mean, you know, we're used to it on TV, and I get it. Netflix really spoiled us. But if you're paying twenty three dollars a month, you want to get a value. But if you're paying zero dollars a month, you're like, okay, this is a value right here, I'm watching something for free, And so you don't mind me ads as much, all.
Speaker 2: Right, And I'll just give a last shout out. They don't know that I'm I don't have any relationship with them. But Plex is also one of these services that you can use, and I use it for home Networking of Entertainment. You probably familiar with plex I take it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's the NERD's favorite. Very very therefore.
Speaker 2: Watching Yeah, it's great for watching your own media on your home network and streaming it to your devices. But they also have one of these free TV with commercial components and they do a good job. Okay, Rich, thank you so much. We will hear you Saturday from eleven am to two pm here on KFI. We'll watch you on kt LA every single morning. Rich, Jimarrow, everybody, you get to get a round of applause for me. Today, FEMA has started redoing Sorry, that's the dumbest way to say it. Ever, FEMA has re zoomed their door to door neighborhood outreach efforts. I'm talking about in North Carolina in the areas that Hurricane Helene really hit hard. That they had to stop because people were threatening them and FEMA felt it was unsafe for the workers to be out there trying to help people. Someone's been arrested for making threats against FEMA employees, and now FEMA feels it's safe again to resume their good work. The Israeli government has told the Biden administration that when it retaliates against Iran for a Ron's recent missile attack. They will not hit any nuclear sites. They will not hit any oil production sites, two big things that the United States really was hoping they would agree to, and they say that they have. Meanwhile, we're not having enough babies everybody. That's right now. Europe has been having this problem for longer than the United States. But the United States is starting to catch up with the problem of low birth rates. And some countries are deciding to give big incentives, I mean big incentives to try to encourage their people to have some kids. Hungary is a big one of these they have. They have I'm gonna tell you about these robust enticements that they have to encourage people to have kids. They have a fertility rate of one point five right now. And you need I think you need two point six berths per whatever, the one hundred thousand to have a replacement level. That's two point one you need. You need two point one is a replacement rate. Hungary has one point five. United States has one point six. So right now we're doing a little bit here in this country. You know, you have you have child tax credits, you have some promises of more child tax credits, but it's kind of shockingly sparse compared to what's going on in Hungary. Holy smokes, do they want to have a lot more Hungarians. They have huge subsidized loan programs in Hungary. These are super low interest loan programs where you can get a big chunk of money right now and pay it back and really not pay much in the way of interest. And if you agree to have at least three kids in Hungary, you can get over one hundred and fifty thousand dollars in these government subsidized loans. Here's another thing, you want to take it one more kid. If you have four or more kids, mom is exempt from personal tax in Hungary for the rest of her life. What guess what else? If you can push out four or more kids, then you will get seven extra annual vacation days for mom and dad. Now, notice I'm not saying or mom and mom or dad and dad, because in Hungary they're not really interested in same sex couples having kids or getting, you know, adopting kids. They're not really interested in single mothers having kids. They're really into the traditional it's a man and it's a woman and they're married and they're having kids, and they are so into the traditional family model that if you are getting these benefits and then you get divorced, you lose the benefits. So let's say you got one hundred and fifty thousand dollars government subsidized loan with a super low interest rate, and then you get divorced, h your interest rate goes up back to whatever some childless schnook would have to pay. In some cases, you have to pay some of the money back if you get divorced. Now, in the United States, we're not there yet. I don't think we'll ever be there, not going to ever have social programs to this degree. But this campaign, you know, Kamala Harris is talking about what is it, a six thousand dollars tax deduction or credit for having a child. Former President Trump, the other candidate he's mentioned maybe having the government pay for IVF and also introducing more tax deductions for parents. So, even though they're so far apart on so many things philosophically and in terms of actual policy, they both have ideas that are designed to encourage people to maybe have kids, or at least offer some reward for doing so. And as an overall population. I suppose we should have enough kids that there, you know, we don't die out or whatever it is. But there are certain places and times when no kids are the best, like at the movie theater. So I don't know how you navigate that problem. And I don't know if we're ever going to be offering the kinds of things that Hungary is. You know, they also gave you a a big stipend to buy a minivan in Hungary if you had kids. Stuff like that. All right, we're going to get some news from Amy King, and then when we come back and we're going to talk about milk. There are a lot of kinds of milks, real milks like from an animal, and milks with finger quotes not from animals. There's a ton of it. And there's one kind of milk that is unbelievably popular all over the world except here in the United States, where we will not drink it. What is it? Why won't we drink it? A new minimum wage increase for some healthcare workers in California goes into effect tomorrow. It's part of a law that will increase the pay for these healthcare workers to twenty five dollars an hour, which seems pretty good, except it takes the next decade to get them to twenty five dollars an hour, but it does take effect tomorrow. Now let's talk about milk. There's so many milks. There's the obvious milk that comes from a cow, and then I guess you could say there's the variance. There's a low fat and skim milk, in half and half in heavy cream. You have goat milk. You can get goat milk pretty much any supermarket. Pretty sure, it's not popular as cow milk, but it's out there. Then you've got your soy milk, your almonds, your oats, cashews. There's banana based milk. There's pistachio based milk. There's hazelnut based milk. There's flax seed based milk. There's a I don't know how long this has been out, but there's some product called ripple that's some kind of vegetable oil and pea protein milk, and these are very popular. All of these are popular in the United States. And when you go into a grocery store, you go to the milk area and you'll see moo cow milk, and goat milk and a lot of these other milks. Now, when you go to a grocery store in most of Europe, you won't see tons of milks over there. You're not gonna see it. There's a kind of milk that is extremely popular in parts of Europe and growing in popularity in some other parts of the world, like China in Central America, and you can get it here. It's not illegal, not at all. It's just that you're you're not going to find it in the milk section. You're going to find it somewhere else, down some aisle, maybe on a bottom shelf. There won't be a lot of it, and there won't be a lot of it because we're not buying it and we're not drinking it. And I'm talking about shelf stable milk. They also call it ultra high temperature milk UHT milk. When was the last time you had any shelf stable milk from a box that was on the shelf and didn't need to be refrigerated until you opened it? Yeah, I can't remember. I don't know if I've ever had it. Now, if you go to France, ninety percent of the milk sold in France is in a box on the shelf in Spain, it's ninety I'm trying to convert some numbers here, it's ninety six percent, thank you very much, brain, ninety six percent of the milk in Spain is this is this ultra high temperature milk in a box. And here it's I don't even know if you can measure the market share for this stuff. That's how much we don't want it. Now, how do they even do it? Well, you get milk and then you blast it with super high heat, hotter than pasteurization, like three hundred degrees boom, one, two, three, four, maybe five seconds boom, and so it's faster than pasteurization. It's hotter, and it's more effective at killing bacteria. And then they go it goes into a special package. It's sterile and it's air tight, and you can stick it on a shelf and it can be there for months easily. Some people say it's immortal that if there's a box of this ultra high temperature shelf stable milk heat, you can sit there for five years and it's fine when you open it. We would never do that, I mean, we're not even going to try it, right, and we definitely would not try one that was five years old. Because we have a very particular view of milk in this country, and milk in a box does not fit it.
Speaker 4: Hey, Wayne Neil, So I know it sounds strange and we certainly aren't super excited about it here in the States, but I tell you that you do find it.
Speaker 2: On the aisle and it is great.
Speaker 4: We have a little place in Big Bear, and we weren't there all the time. You know, maybe you go once a week, maybe you go every couple of weeks, and we found that it was much easier to buy that and have it stored for cereal and the like, and it's great. It takes exactly the same You just put it in the refrigerator to chill it up afterwards, but it lasts for months and months and months, and it's a great option to have on hand for baking, for cereal, for drinking, for anything that is not taking up space in the fridge. All of that is true. It's more convenient.
Speaker 2: It's better for the environment because of the impact on the environment of the cold chain. I know, you know what the cold chain is. Sure, this is all that you know. You get a product that has to be chilled and then it has to be chilled on the truck when it's going to the store, and it has to be chilled in the store. But we in America generally think of milk as a fresh product. It's supposed to be fresh, even though it comes out of a cow hot I mean milk. The freshest milk you could have is straight out of the udder of a cow, and if you do, it's over one hundred degrees. But we think fresh means cold. I don't know why. I don't know anybody really knows why. It's just what we think. And as you pointed out, you can refrigerate it first if that's what you want to do, but in Europe they don't. They just they just drink it. They're not concerned with it being cold, and they're not concerned with it being fresh. Then the other thing is, even though, and you would agree with this too, I think you cover food all the time. In America. We love junk food, processed food, we love it, and yet when it comes to milk, we want it natural. And milk in a box is not natural. Even though I think people think it's full of preservatives, it's not. It's just milk in a box. It's just as natural as the milk in a carton that you get. So they've tried the milk the box. Milk companies have tried. Do you remember when they threw that free concert by Pavarotti in Central Park? Does that ring any bells? Sure? That was thrown by Parmelat, which is you know, the big milk in a box company in Europe. They were trying like hell to get Americans to do it, and it didn't work at all. But if you have a situation like Neil has, and you want milk, but you don't want to have to worry about keeping it cold, even if you're just if you're going on a picnic or something like that, milk in a box is great. Not to be confused with something else in a box. On Saturday Night Live, all right, Gary and Shannon are coming up next. This is KFI AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app